The Porcine Oddyssey #93: Three Steps to Acquiring La’el Collins

PiggyFlashback

Well if you don’t know La’el Collins signed with the Cowboys.  Also you missed an entire year of life.

That said.  I enjoyed writing this Oddyssey even though it didn’t work out for us.

Enjoy the flashback

************************************

THE PORCINE ODDYSSEY #93:

La'el

Three Steps to Acquiring La’el Collins

PiggyLogo

I know what you are thinking: How can the Dolphins acquire La’el Collins?  Well rest your heavy human heads, I’ve mapped out a three step process.

This is a sure way to make sure the Dolphins acquire La’el Collins.

STEP 1:  VOLUNTEER

Baton Rouge Police Investigation taking too long?  Of course it is!  The Dolphins play a meaningful game in four months.  We got no time for investigations.

Evidence Stotage Furnace

Don’t blame the BRPD.  Get Involved!  Pitch in.  Hey Baton Rouge, I can help you with your investigation.  Let me help.   You look exhausted.  Don’t worry about compiling evidence.  I got this!  Now I’m not suggesting that there is any evidence that can be used against Collins.  I’m suggesting that I don’t care – because football!

JeffIrelandGuilty

Offer the police a viable alternative.  Now you may be thinking to yourself “Piggy are you saying we should frame some one innocent?”  Well think about this.  “Frame” is an ugly word.  Stop judging me.  It makes you look like a jerk.

I bet you know some one with a guilty look. I can think of some one that has it coming.

GreedyPigSTEP 2:  PAY HIM

There is some sort of restrictions about paying undrafted rookies. Blah Blah Blah.  Who cares!  This guy went to LSU and he is expecting to get paid no matter what the rules say.  So you have to up the ante.  You can’t just give him cars and stuff, he is used to that.  We got that Dion Jordan waived money now!  Hey La’el, how did Dion Jordan’s money end up in your lap?  I’m gonna walk away now.

PiggyatTootsies

Collins is probably going to want more than that.  Well, remember La’el there is no State Tax in Florida.  Not impressed?  Let’s talk about taxes at a strip club.  Dear Mr. Ross, this is a perfect time to show Dolfans you want to win and loan me your credit card.

STEP 3:  EMPHASIZE MIAMI PERKS

Miami Dolphins v Houston Texans

You already know there is no State Tax in Florida because I mentioned it a half a dozen times.  Miami has a bunch of other perks though.  First of all, you can leave your garbage anywhere you like and our coach will pick it up for you.

Second, we have lots of drugs and hookers and they are easy to find because they are usually together.

Third, Miami is full of beautiful scenery.  Sure you can buy that duplex next to a sewage facility in Buffalo.  But in Miami you have great weather all year round, no matter where you live.  Instead of snow, there is an ocean and its filled with water which isn’t frozen.  What else?  What else?  Oh I don’t know…Miami just makes me smile for some reason.

PiggyandLadies

So there you have it.  Apply these three steps and La’el Collins is ours.  Unless he really did something illegal.  Then let the Patriots have him…

This entry was posted in The Porcine Oddyssey. Bookmark the permalink.

474 Responses to The Porcine Oddyssey #93: Three Steps to Acquiring La’el Collins

LMFAO @ Ireland being framed! Nice job again Piggy.

2. dcoralsprings says:

Well Rex fed him dinner last night
    This morning we get a shot over breakfast
    Not sure who from the phins flew to Baton Rouge
    But they need to sell this kid on miami over buffalo

Certainly worth a flier on him, let’s see if we can
    Beat out Dallas (also no state tax deal)
    And really boost the oline

3. Try Pod says:

I sure hope Tim doesn’t read this:
    “Miami has a bunch of other perks though. First of all, you can leave your garbage anywhere you like and our coach will pick it up for you.”

D says:
    May 5, 2015 at 7:54 am
    I agree I have been saying it since he got pulled back to da Rouge from Chicago. Nothing about the situation say not a person of interest. Suspect means they got hard evidence backing their interest and they may not have enough yet to make that statement out of fear of litigation. As I said I’d be ready to roll to get in on the sweepstake if he is cleared but as fans I would hold my breath while we wait.
    D says:
    May 5, 2015 at 7:55 am
    Wouldn’t

I’m telling ya, the oats might be more interested in his lawyer if he is found innocent. They might could retain him and have him get Hernandez off on appeal

LMAO….
    Dave Hyde @davehydesports
    Rex Ryan orders lobster appetizers in pow-wow with La’el Collins. How do Dolphins top that? Hyde5 blog: http://fw.to/21JYuSa

Excellent Piggy. LOL @ you and all the Miami hotties and the big smile

We need to make it happen, although the competition will be fierce. Sell La’el on the fact that in a few years, he’ll be our LT (Maybe sooner if Albert can’t get back healthy), but in the meantime, he’s going to be the guard that paves the way for a record breaking rushing season in Miami Dolphins history, between Lamar Miller and Jay Ajayi, which also happens to land us in the Superbowl, which really, is what it’s all about. He’s the last piece to the puzzle, the cog that will make the machine work. We need him, he needs us. Do it, make it happen. You showed all the resolve in the world and got Suh, now get his counterpart on the O-line, so we have the big nasty on both sides. MAKE IT HAPPEN HICKENBAUM! DO IT!!!

8. jahndoh says:

““Piggy are you saying we should frame some one innocent?” Well think about this. “Frame” is an ugly word. Stop judging me. It makes you look like a jerk.”

LMMFAO!!!!!!!

And that is my fly by

Let’s go Dolphins!

Lol@ Piggy. Great stuff

LOL @ Piggy, you are one funny pig.

12. jahndoh says:

“If he had been drafted by the Giants he would have signed a 4-year deal worth about $13 million, including signing bonus money.”

Here ya go TIm, It’s official that in my 2 contract scenarios from yesterday that the 1st round scenario pays slightly more (I did the math at 9.6M).

I was not, and nobody would say it’s “better” to go UDFA than first round. Since the beginning of the FA era players have preferred “guaranteed” money over “potential money”. So lets clear that up.

BUT!!! It now appears to me that he and his agent both know about the math I penciled out. Therefore for him, with his potential, they determined it’d be better for him to get to FA a year earlier than if he were to be signed in the 4th round or later and locked into a 4 year contract (instead of 3).

Now don’t judge me. It makes you look like a jerk! 😛

Piggy,
    That is awesome. Ireland does look very guilty of whatever charges you want to send his way. I think his ex teammates, his agency of choice, and the tax situation make this a very hard to refuse place to be. As Mike mentioned, he has a place on our line for the long haul. Job security and hot women? Sign him up!

I mean which would you like better? Piggy’s last picture or this.

Jahn! LOL

Making the tragedy even greater, the baby that La’el’s ex-girlfriend gave birth to as she died has passed away. RIP little guy.

Patriots waived CB Alfonzo Dennard.
    Dennard, a 2012 seventh-round pick, started 20 games over the last three seasons for the Patriots. Cutting him only costs the Patriots $14,000 in dead money and frees up roughly $1 million against the cap. They’ll move forward with Malcolm Butler, Logan Ryan, Kyle Arrington and Bradley Fletcher as their top-four corners.
    __________________________
    He’s had 5 INT’s & 16 PD’s in 3 years or in 20 something games. He’s 25yo 5’10 200 out of Nebraska.

17. Al in MIA says:

GDP,
    Seems Hickey played the market right..
    We are seeing the first wave of cuts after the draft and it includes DB & WR….
    Waiting to see the OL cuts next 🙂

18. Al in MIA says:

Jahn,
    Good analysis yesterday on La’el’s opportunity cost but I was waiting to see something on the time value of money and specifically the money he could have earned on compounding interest on a 2015 1st RD signing bonus 😛

19. Al in MIA says:

GDP,
    Plus Dennard knows the AFC East competition and would also seek revenge against NE.

Ross needs to buy a $10,000,000 mansion that can be called a “Study Facility” and let La’el stay there for say $1 a month for 2 years until he can redo his contract!

I think Piggy has picked the “staff” above! 🙂

A real advantage we have is that it is almost guaranteed that Collins can start from day one here given our unsettled position at both G spots. And sure every player wants to play, but for Collins starting will mean a big check on that compensation money low-paid starters get under the CBA when they line up more than their draft status indicates they should.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s with La’el Collins. LOL.

LOL @ all this talk on what & how we are gonna get Collins.
    Like I mentioned last night…I have a feeling this will turn bad for him soon. So I’m gonna temper my enthusiasm for now.

“Sources told FOX Sports 1 NFL Insider Mike Garafolo that Collins, the former standout LSU offensive tackle, met with Buffalo Bills head coach Rex Ryan over dinner in Baton Rouge, La., late Monday.

According to multiple sources, Collins after dinner had drinks with an unidentified New Jersey optician.”

Just so you guys know….they call it a “sleep study” but its really a “no sleep study”. I just had one last night, fucking horrible. Torturous. Bed was very small, very uncomfortable. Pillows, they might as well handed me a small bag of cotton balls and said good luck. You feel like your a pod person from the matrix with all the shit they have you hooked to making turning on your side next to impossible. They have equipment in the roomes that eminate VERY BRIGHT LED light, basically making you feel like your sleeping with the lights on, and for added measure the other people who are there for sleep studies snore as bad as you do so its a race to see who falls asleep first….i lost…not even second place….like dead fucking last. 2 hours of sleep however seems to be “enough data” so i dont have to repeat it,

The top performance based pay bonus last year was $373,671. That was for a 7th rounder who played 100% of his teams offensive snaps and 15% of the ones on STs. Assuming he doesn’t get hurt, La’el can expect something similar.

I would love to have dinner with La’el. I’d sell him on the Dolphins real well, explain to him how he could be the next great Miami Dolphins OL, following in the footsteps of Dwight Stephenson, Larry Little, Jim Langer, Richmond Webb, Bob Keuchenberg, Keith Sims etc. etc.

It’s nice to be the key to the Superbowl. He needs to know this.

• Try Pod says:

I think all of these people had retired before the kid was born, so I’m not sure how much affect that might have on his decision…

28. jahndoh says:

Jahn,
    ————————————————–
    Lol…Al knows me well, but he doesn’t know NFL first rounders apparently who blow all that money on hookers and blow and bling. 🙂

Here’s a Q for you guys. The day after signing a UDFA is there any rule against three seconds later signing him to a say three-year extension with a fat signing bonus?

If there isn’t then La’el could essentially put his services to the highest bidder.

D:
    Sleep studies suck. I had one last year and it was the worst night sleep I had all year and I had a private room and it still sucked.

Maybe Ross should buy a Jiggly club and let La’el live there for 2 years as the manager?

What’s with everyone doing sleep studies?

Best analysis of Collin’s options as a UDFA I’ve seen.

And Ken was absolutely right — no restructure until after year two.

I’m shocked no one has mocked my statements that La’el Collins is the key to us getting to the SB. Shocked! Maybe everyone knows I’m off the deep end is just letting me have my fun. lol

I just think it funny that we could end up with both Devante and La’el. Who would have mocked both Piggy bliss and Mike E nirvana?

I think it’s a real longshot (32-1?), but it would be awesome. We have a good young ascending QB, and that right there should be a strong selling point, in addition to the improvements we made on defense with Suh, and all the offensive pieces we added, Parker, Ajayi, Jennings, Cameron. Very impressive!

• Try Pod says:

1/32 odds are not horrible, and in truth, if someone wanted to put in the effort (cough, cough,Jahn,cough), those odds could further be honed to a more reasonable equation, by removing teams with no need for a guard, weather, taxes, coaching, team management, cap issues.. I realize he will cost little as a UDFA, so financial situation is a minimum concern for all teams, but still…

We should offer Collins in the contract that we will offer him a new contract after 2 years and forego the restricted free agent option if he’s a starter here on the O-line.

I don’t think you can do that under the CBA structure.

You may be right, but I would give him every assurance then that we would give him a contract as sson as he’s eligible. Make it crystal clear.

36. LMAO PIGGY!!!! EXCELLENT!!!!

So what’s to keep Collins from signing for whatever the maximum is he can get as an UDFA, Then Ross, who has all kinds of business interests, gives him some kind of endorsement deal with one of his other businesses. Who’s to know? 🙂

Yeah, that’s the ticket!

The max UDFA money is going to be the same where ever he signs. The endorsement market will be a significant as I think will scheme fit and what position he will be asked to play.

He’s a perfect sheme fit, and he will be asked to play well. Very well. lol
        He’d probably play T, either LT or RT until Albert is ready, and then move inside to LG. That’s how I’ve always envisioned it.

I think they will sell him on LG and backup OT.

Great point on the endorsements. Ain’t gonna help him with the Bills, but if the Jets or Giants want him…….

Off to play hoops. Peace.

OK, I’m just posting this so I can get that off my screen in case someone walks by.

It would be bad if someone did.

LOL @ Try

Anyone here like the Tedeschi Trucks Band which I’m sure some of you do. Son? LOL

Never heard of them

Derek Trucks was the slide guitarist for the Allman Brothers until recently and the Tedeschi Trucks Band is him and his wife Susan. It’s really good stuff, check it out if you like soulful blues.

• Try Pod says:

That does seem to be more along the lines of what Son might be interested in. It’s not my cup of tea, but I am familiar with the band through unrelated reading.

Interesting from Abramson: ” Collins has three former LSU players on the roster that he’s close with — linebacker Kelvin Sheppard, receiver Jarvis Landry and defensive tackle Anthony Johnson.”

They all played with La’el and Landry was a team captain……plus we all know how solid he is. That’s as big as no state income tax.

The choice of living in miami or buffalo for the next 2 years is a pretty easy decision no matter how many foot massages I get promised by rexy.

I think collins will go somewhere were he can play LT not guard. So I doubt we get him

He may start at LT at the beginning of the season, depending on whether Albert is ready to go. I’m not convinced Albert will be ready.

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez · 15m15 minutes ago
    My @NFLonFOX story about OL & cancer survivor @ARayofHope73 getting invite 2 tryout at @MiamiDolphins rookie minicamp http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/miami-dolphins-arthur-ray-jr-gets-tryout-bone-cancer-050515

Fucking Omar. Transcript from a interview with he and hyde.

Hyde: Are the Dolphins a better team, right now, than this time last year?
    Omar :Uh, my vote goes No (fucking asinine, arrogant way he said it body language and all…) Uh from this standpoint you were an 8 and 8 team that had better talent but were “coached” to 8 and 8, partially because your team probably quit on ya, and i think you stripped a lot of veteran talent, you’re expected to replace it with young inexperienced talent, and your not as deep from a talent standpoint, in terms of the roster, as you were last year. Exiting the draft, while i like many of the moves, Devante Parker, while i like Ajayi, while i like Cedric Thompson, i liked a lot of the selections, but if your asking me if this 2015 Dolphins team is better than the 2014 team, im going to have to say no… (again that shit eating arrogant tone and body language).
    Hyde: Are we talking the team the ended the season, That that….
    Omar: That belly flopped?
    Hyde: They were 32 points a game on defense?
    Omar: Perfect rating to Geno Smith?
    Hyde: You got Ndamukong Suh there, you’ve got a functioning defensive line now that will work…
    Omar: You sure its functioning?
    Hyde: It sure looks like it does to me.
    Omar: Cause at the end of the year it wasn’t just Jared Odrick…
    Hyde: Well at the end of the year…
    Omar: and Randy Starks that were cavin’ against the run, Camer Camer Cameron Wake was cavin’ against the run.
    Hyde: Well now he isn’t the best player on the defensive line is he?
    Omar: No, he’s not.
    Hyde: So this defensive line then is markedly better.
    Omar: So you’re saying one man….one great expensive human being…with tremendous amount of talent…instantly makes this a better Dolphins team.
    Hyde: Well i think its a bet… Well then you bring in the rookie, cant they light a fire under him, i mean thats going to be the thing is he is a HUGE human being, with great athletic talent, you see why the took him, he is the ultimate second round pick….
    Omar: Oh HELL no he is not….
    Hyde: …in that people had him projected in the first and yes there was the motivational thing…
    Omar: eh eh…. oh well you also know who was a first round pick that fell to the second? …Jonathan Martin…an how much ya like that? L-Listen…in your second round picks you better get a guy who you expect will start…isnt that what you want in a second round pick?
    Hyde: w-well,what you want, what your hoping to find…is a guy who can start and a guy who can star, and if they can light a fire under him, he can do both so we’ll see if they can. Now, thats what they are banking on, thats what they are betting on, now can this coaching staff do that, i dont know…
    Omar: We’ll see, but i think two things you have to improve on, exiting this draft. You had to get better at left guard, Dallas Thomas now has competition with Jamal Douglis, its always abotu the guards…
    Hyde: This guy its always about the left guards…..
    Omar: No, i used to be about right guard.. (like he almost went a little nae nae with a finger wag and chicken head). Im ok now with right guard and Billy Turner. Let me see this competition Jamal..Jamil Douglas against Dallas Thomas and then i felt like you needed….
    Hyde: Omar guard is the least important position and the easiest…
    Omar: Who gave up seven sacks last year David….
    Hyde: …easiest esiest place to replace on a team….
    Omar: Who gave up seven sacks last year David Hyde?
    Hyde: so you can have a bad one….but thy are easy to replace…
    Omar: w.. ok…well now you’e got someone to compete with the bad one…
    Hyde: …so the point being….are he rceivers better than last year?
    Omar: Yes, they are, and …
    Hyde: Really?….
    Omar: Yes, absolutely…
    Hyde: Do you really feel they are better?
    Omar: Yes.
    Hyde: Id say its about the same….but they’re ok..
    Omar: No, it’s not about the same. Jarvis Landry is going to be improving, Then you get, is Greg Jennings better than Brian Hartline? ….
    Hyde: I dont see a difference…
    Omar: Greg Jennings has scored 63 touchdowns in his career….
    Hyde: Now do they get along with the QB better is to me the issue… and thats why the room was changed, We’ll see, anyways, Omar you dont think this teams better right? And i think they are better…
    Omar: i think they are an 8 and 8 team.
    Hyde: So 8 and 8 is your…
    Omar: Jay Aajyi…mmmmya… you can hammer that run game….maybe i give ya 9. But we’ll see…
    Hyde: Hmm we’re already moving him off the block here…For David Hyde, here with Omar Kelley, talk to ya again.

—————————————
    They should let Suh eat Omar, he probably smells like shit but taste like coconut.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

the only way to know for sure if this team is better than last year is if they finish 9-7 in 2015.

BoulderPhinfan says:
    May 5, 2015 at 12:51 pm
    ——————————-
    Id think this is exactly why we would get him….he would play LG for us starting out but LT in near future. Albert isn’t going to last his contract.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

why playing LG instead of LT right away be the reason we get him? He could make more money as LT in 2 years than LG.

I’m saying he would be making lt money when is next contract comes up with us as well because he would be our lt

Here are the rest of ESPN’s Power Rankings for the AFC East:

No. 2: New England Patriots

No. 15: Dolphins

No. 18: Buffalo Bills

No. 25: New York Jets

I like this LOL

LMAO @ D “They should let Suh eat Omar”

They should let Suh eat ESPN too

And their fruits bats and orangutans.

Awesome move.

“According to FOX 8 in New Orleans, not only is Dolphins coach Joe Philbin traveling to see Collins, but so are former LSU teammates Jarvis Landry, Anthony Johnson and Kelvin Sheppard.”

54. Rhino says:

Where’s Bill Polian when you need him?: “Omar?, who the hell is Omar?”

with the wave of suing police departments for killing thugs, can you imagine the lawsuit this guy is going to have if all they called him for was as a material witness and questioning.

i serious doubt that is all they wanted him for.

They didn’t do anything as of now that they can be sued for. Police have a right to question a former boyfriend and potential father of a child in a double homicide case. If Collins is cleared and no further activity happens there will be absolutely no basis to bring a lawsuit. If one is brought it will be dismissed. If he was named a suspect there might be grounds for a defamation case which is why the police have been very careful not to identify him as a suspect at this time.

I think they are probably immune from a suit individually

The city of baton rouge might be sued but its not so wide open

I like the strategy. More than anything, it shows we’re earnest about wanting him, and that should go a long way. #LaEltoMIA

ken

you have a point, i mean no one ever settles a baseless lawsuit out of court. especially with todays environment of the hatred toward law enforcement

It would never get to that point. The case would be subject to dismissal via motion practice. For the case to settle it would have to survive a dispositive motion and I don’t see that happening. 42 U.S.C. 1983 claims was my forte for a long time. This case would be tossed. No court is going to stop a police department from questioning a romantic interest and possible father in a double homicide case. The chilling effect is too much for a court to rule in favor of the plaintiff as it stands now.

I don;t think that would work out for La’el Collins

Its the type of lawsuit that would be dismissed before it was even started
      City’s have counsel to deal with frivolous suits
      its would not cost anyone anything – and there is no strong arm

People try to sue cities all the time
      there are a lot of con artists out there
      that is just part of running a municipality

There is not a lot of meat on them bones so to speak

ken and piggy,

i hope that is the case. i hope law enforcement isnt sued over this. i would love to see no matter the outcome the kid just moves on with his life. but you and i both know that isnt how it works. not every attorney spends their time turning green and smashing shit or just flying around with no pants on. some do take the cases even if it is frivolous.

I think Ken and I both know what you are saying

but what we are saying is – its a quick exit in defending an action like that
      the city pays for the attorneys who defend
      The city may even employ the judge if its a city judge – capiche?
      its gets thrown out quick!

There is a big difference between questioning some one (and in fact asking them to speak with the police) and some of the recent deaths while some one was in police custody or being arrested

There aren;t going to be any marches for La’el to claim its a miscarriage of justice and before anyone is annoyed by the case – its over

ken and piggy

like i said i hope you guys are right. makes sense what you are saying.

Barry Jackson@flasportsbuzz
    Dolphins are interested in Collins but are not ready at this time to send team officials, despite initial reports Philbin would be coming.
    ——————
    At least Jackson says that part ain’t happening. No word on Landry, Shepard and Johnson though. Might make even more of a statement if they came out on their own.

Ken says:
    May 5, 2015 at 2:41 pm

I used to be a City attorney and the bulk of my practice was defending police misconduct cases.

damn and you already had me at turning green and all hard. way to go. to much hatred going on these days towards law enforcement. or i should say, to much media portraying the hatred out there.

Kyle strunk @KyleStrunk · May 3

What do cops do when another cop is shot? We don’t riot..we don’t burn buildings, we don’t scream racist comments..but we do go back to work

I have seen good and bad in the cops I have defended. More good than bad but there is bad amongst them as well. But some of the most gratifying wins I have ever had were defending some very good cops who were put in some very difficult situations.

Explains why Philbin ain’t along. Guess our players just decided to visit their alma mater and bring their buddy Mike along.

Pouncey – Come on La’el I’ll show you were we made Jonel cry! 😉

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP · 52m52 minutes ago
    Mike Pouncey, a Gator, has tagged along with the LSU #Dolphins crew to recruit La’el Collins http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/05/05/bills-not-expected-to-sign-lael-collins-dolphins-continue-to-make-sense/

When Collins met with Rex I wonder what he was thinking when Rex started pouring honey on his feet?

Off to a client meeting. Peace.

66. Al in MIA says:

Looking at the NFL LSU Alumni list….
    Bengals have the most representation w/ 4 former Tigers:
    Jeremy Hill, Sam Montgomery, Andrew Whitworth, James Wright
    —-
    Fins have 3 (Sheppard, Johnson, & Landry)
    Cards have 3 (Kevin Minter, Tyrann Matheiu & Patrick Peterson)
    Skins have 3 (Ryan Clark, Ricky Jean Francois, Perry Riley)
    Niners have 3 (Glenn Dorsey, Trindon Holliday, Eric Reid)
    Buffalo have 2 (Ron Brooks & Kyle Williams)
    Cowboys have 2 (Morris Claiborne & Lavar Edwards)
    Colts have 2 (Kadron Boone & LaRon Landry)
    Giants have 2 (Odell Beckham & Rueben Randle)
    Eagles have 2 (Donnie Jones & Bennie Logan)
    Titans have 2 (Mettenberger & Al Woods)
    Rams have 2 (Joe Barksdale & Michael Brockers)
    Texas have 2 (Alfred Blue & Kenny Hilliard)
    Browns have 2 (Dwayne Bowe & Barkevious Mingo)
    Bears have 2 (Ego Ferguson & Danny McCray)
    Falcons have 1 (Tyson Jackson)
    Panthers have 1 (Trai Turner)
    Broncos have 1 (Lamin Barrow)
    Packers have 1 (Matt Flynn)
    Vikings have 1 (Danielle Hunter)
    Saints have 1 (Delvin Breaux)
    Jets have 1 (Stevan Ridley)
    Steelers have 1 (Brad Wing)
    Seahawks have 1 (Tharold Simon)
    Bucaneers have 1 (Russell Shepard)

67. Al in MIA says:

LOL @ honey …I was thinking more a hot towel LOL

In Miami, Collins could play guard but would also be available at tackle. Left tackle Branden Albert is coming off a major knee injury. And Albert will be 31 this season, so his long-term future is in question.

Collins might not find an NFL team willing to start him at tackle this season. And since a lot can happen during the three-year life of the deal, he might decide it makes sense to play with his friends, in a state without income tax and on a team that needs him to start at left guard now.

He’ll have plenty of time to prove himself before he’s up for the big money deal.

SIGN HIM NOW!

BTW you can TOTALLY see the vajayjay of the cheer leader in the purple bottoms above……

70. Al in MIA says:

Rockphin,
    Makes sense but Albert is on schedule to be back sooner rather than later and will not be benched in favor of a rookie. However, it’s possible Collins can replace James at RT in the OT competition.

This was written 3 weeks ago by the Herald discussing what Albert’s been up to (which includes boxing training):

“And although he won’t participate in on-field football activities this spring, the finish line for Albert’s recovery is in sight. There have been no complications. He’s past the doubt that crept in early in his rehab. Albert plans to be on the field for opening day.

Albert is still not ready to run at full speed — “soon,” he promised — but in the weight room and in Baiamonte’s gym, “there’s no restrictions.” Some players balloon when they’re immobilized by injury; Albert’s weight is basically the same as it was when he reported to training camp last summer.

Said Albert: “I’m never in pain. It’s just weakness. Right now, it’s all getting my strength back. All the hard stuff with my rehab is over with. The first three months were probably the toughest rehab, getting the motion, getting my flexibility back and getting the scar tissue off. All that’s over with. Now it’s just getting the strength and getting active again. That’s going to come with time.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article18291890.html#storylink=cpy

It’s possible that James will be our next LT and Collins would go to RT.

Al — great info on the LSU alumni list. Another factor is how many of them actually played with him. All three of ours did and Landry was one of his captains. Also have to wonder how many of them jumped on a private plane to visit.

According to the stories, Collins can’t have any official visits from teams until after LSU exams are over on May 9. How did he have dinner with Rexy? Even if it was off-campus seems at least the spirit of the rule was violated.

74. Al in MIA says:

Things heating up in Seattle eh?
    reporter digging up dirt on Seattle’s selection from Michigan -> Frank Clark:

Benjamin Allbright retweeted
    Ashley Ryan ‏@AshleyLolaRyan 3m3 minutes ago
    @ChrisDaniels5 spoke w/ hotel clerk working day of DV incident. She was never contacted- she says Clark “beat the living crap out” of ex-gf.

75. Al in MIA says:

Not sure about James at LT.
    This was written in Jan by Armando at the Herald using PFF data:

Offensive line

Left tackle Branden Albert went out for the season Nov. 9 at Detroit but his +17.5 was still good enough to rank him eighth best among all tackles, which highlights how big of a blow the Albert injury was to the Dolphins/

After a promising start to his rookie season, right tackle Ja’Wuan James struggled in the move to left tackle. Since Week 10, James’ -30.0 is the worst of any tackle in the league, and his 29 hurries allowed in that time were 11 more than any other tackle.”

He was a rookie switching positions midseason and Lazor has said he always felt James was an eventual LT. Most scouts don’t see Collins at LT but at either guard or RT.

Quiz of the Day — name the players.

77. Al in MIA says:

Stanger,
    Sheppard left in 2011 via the 2011 draft; Collins was a freshman in the fall of 2011.

Rockphin says:
    May 5, 2015 at 3:27 pm

yeah and it is a good thing piggy is blocking the view of that third ones. that thing is probably tucked under him. but nice to see the fins are letting transgenders become cheerleaders

79. Al in MIA says:

Here’s an old article I found from the Sporting News written around the combine time in Feb:

Here are particular comments from that article:

“I’ve traveled all over the United States, so even though I went to high school and college in Baton Rouge, this is a good opportunity to go somewhere else and get out of my comfort zone. Wherever I am, I am going to play football there and serve their community and be involved in the Boys and Girls Club; just touch someone else’s life.

The head of the whole Boys and Girls Club program down here in Atlanta talked to me. We sat down and it was a great chance for me to get to know me, and for me to get to know them. They are willing to work with me to put programs together and give back to the community, no matter where I am. So, I have that in my pocket and it means a lot to me.”
    —-
    He also says he doesn’t care what position he plays so I guess he’s not really going to worry about the whole OT-OG discussion.

80. Al in MIA says:

Stanger,
    I hope so but I think coaching quality matters to many players rather than ‘friends’. To me the whole ‘friends’ thing might come into play if player doesn’t have access to ‘family’. In terms of distance to Baton Rouge, LA and family access -> Houston is 270 miles away, Dallas 425 miles, Atlanta 520 miles, Nashville 570 miles, Indy 830 miles, Miami 915 miles.

I think we’re getting a little carried away trying to get into Collins’ mind. LOL

Can’t judge what matters more, but having a bunch at a new spot when you are going to get paid the same regardless has to be huge. And if those trusted friends talk up the town and the team……

Kimmy: What code is that? Stu you loved it, you were crying saying how special it was. I had to slow down so I didn’t drop my load too quick.
    Stu Price: Load?
    Alan: What load?
    Kimmy: Oh you know, my sperm.
    Stu Price: That is wrong, you’re talking about my sperm. Where would your sperm come from?
    Kimmy: My balls. You’re in Bangkok, there’s a reason they don’t call it Bangcunt!

• BoulderPhinfan says:

LOL. I like those movies.

Kimmy: Come on, Stu. It was beautiful. We climaxed at the same time.
        Stu: How does that work?
        Kimmy: Shoot my load into you. You shoot your load on the floor.
        [in disgust]
        Phil: Okay!
        [in despair]
        Stu: You shot your load at me? In my bottom? Oh! Oh, God!

LMAO!!!!

HOLY CRAP THERE ARE A LOT OF LSU PLAYERS IN THE NFL!!!!!!

83. Al in MIA says:

Stanger,

LOL, we can play that game all day

Collins with Jeremy Hill (Bengals; who have 4 LSU players)

You only win that game if you tell me the guy is in Baton Rouge or on his way. Not like the Dolphins LSU guys plus Pouncey (who probably paid for the plane) didn’t call first.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

do the bengals even need a LT?

La’els favorite was always Landry though. ALWAYS DAMMIT!!! lol

85. new age says:

We need the Mighty Hand to give us the edge. Another late night club drive by coming Mike E? You don’t have to tell us…

86. Al in MIA says:

Stanger,
    lmfao…I’m just f’ing with ya anyway.
    Btw Jeremy Hill, Odell Beckham, & La’el Collins are all from Baton Rouge.

Don’t rain on my parade here AL. The way I see it this is much bigger than picking this guy or that in the first. This is the chance to get an extra first round pick for UDFA money. Plus…..Mike E will act like on one lucky night he got trapped in an elevator with a Victoria Secret model on ecstasy.

87. Al in MIA says:

Heard Winston is going to woo Collins with his special dish:

88. Al in MIA says:

Crap…
    Hopefully the NFL doesn’t go ape on the Fins
    “Clubs are prohibited from visiting a player who was eligible for the 2015 Draft at his campus or residence if the player has withdrawn from school and final exams have yet to conclude at the school,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told PFT via email. “This includes drafted players, any undrafted players that have signed as free agents, and any undrafted players that have yet to sign.”

Piggy – Love the “Evidence Storage” Furnace. Forgot to mention that! 🙂

90. Al in MIA says:

Stanger,
    LOL. Mike E will finally don a new robe and ditch his Kaepernick one.

Try, do you know about the chiffon robes and apple martinis?

Forgot to give my props to the Pig for a great game plan on landing La’el. One of you guys should tweet the link to Landry. He’ll know when to bring it up tonight.

I’ve seen Susan Tedeschi live about 20 years ago…loved her. I didn’t know she got into a new band….sorta lost track of her over the years.

94. jahndoh says:

At Trypod’s request, I have consulted with the mainframe computer from Nasa 1999 but I need more computing power. So then I consulted with a hand calculator ala 2010 but it still wasn’t enough. I consulted with my Smartphone ala 2012 and got yet closer to the answer, but only my slide rule ala 1970 and then my abacus ala 15th century revealed the true answer.

La’el Collins’ liklihood of signing with the Fins over any other NFL team is 173%.

His likelihood of signing with a team that’s not the dolphins but still in the NFL is 1/14th of 1%

His likelihood of signing with a team that’s not the Dolphins and also not in the NFL is 48%

Wait a minute…I think I may need to call the abacus repair shop..something looks off here…

95. jahndoh says:

Takes a real man to own his appletini!

96. Al in MIA says:

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 3m3 minutes ago

#Dolphins waive CBs TJ Heath and Lowell Rose and kicker Zach Hocker…. I still expect Miami to bring in real competition for Caleb Sturgis

For La’el Collins, I’m not wearing a chiffon robe. Instead, I’m wearing a giant crepe, a pancake, if you will, in honor of all his pancake blocks. lol

98. Al in MIA says:

Piggy has his crew out trying to woo Collins

99. Al in MIA says:

More about Collins written back during the combine:

“”A lot of teams told me that I’m their favorite offensive lineman,” Collins said during a Wednesday press conference inside Lucas Oil Stadium. “A lot of teams asked me if I could slide to the right side and in two years maybe come over to the left, or could I come in right now and play left.

“I feel very confident in what I do, so for me it wouldn’t be a problem.”

Collins started playing football in the third grade, but most of his action came on the defensive side of the football. He didn’t make the switch to offensive line until his prep career at Redemptorist in Baton Rouge, La.

“When I started playing football I started playing defense more than offense,” he said. “I kind of made the transition to playing offense in high school. I’ve always had the mentality of a defensive lineman, of a defensive guy. I was able to bring that over on the offensive side, but also bring the intelligence over as well to be able to play the offensive line position.

“For me, just being able to go out there with a mentality to really get after it is something that I feel I bring to the table.”

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT EARLIER – – –
    ———————————-
    While many are debating whether or not this 2015 edition of the Miami Dolphins will make the playoffs, there were NO SUCH CONCERNS about the 1972 Dolphins as they continued down the road to “ABSOLUTE PERFECTION!” – – Next up was a date in New York to play the dangerous 7-4 New York Giants in Yankee Stadium. This game featured the NFC’s highest rated quarterback (the Giants Norm Snead who was having his career-best season) versus the highest rated quarterback in the AFC (Miami’s Earl Morrall). Neither of them led their respective conferences in touchdown passes. That honor would fall to the Redskins’ Bill Kilmer, who’d toss 19 TD passes in 1972, and to the Jets’ Joe Namath, who’d lead the AFC with 19 TD passes. However, based on the NFL’s complicated formula, Snead and Morrall were the leaders of their respective conferences in overall QB ratings.

The Giants offense was considered the very best in the NFC. ALL-PRO running back Ron Johnson was having a stellar season. And the Giants had run-up 62 POINTS vs. the Eagles the previous game!!! A packed, sell-out crowd of “Big Blue” fans were waiting in Yankee Stadium for the undefeated Dolphins. And just to throw more gasoline onto the fire, several hundred JET FANS had somehow managed to buy tickets, hoping the Giants could do what the JETS COULD NOT DO IN TWO TRIES – – – put an end to THE PERFECT SEASON!! – – Sub-40 degree rainy and cold weather was waiting for the visiting team from Miami. And many New York area sports writers were predicting an upset victory by the red-hot Giants team!!!

The Old Dolfan will put YOU on the 50 yard line to see one of the most “hyped” games of the entire 1972 season!! – – It’s ALL HERE tomorrow on your favorite Dolphins fan site!! – – Eat it!! – – Sleep it!! – – Breath it!! – – The PERFECT SEASON IS OURS’ TO ENJOY!!!!!!!
    ——————————————————————————————

101. Try Pod says:

Yes, my Apple-tini comment was in fact taken almost verbatim from one of the better shows of the last 20 years, Scrubs, though it only really had maybe 5 goid seasons.
    Thank you Jahn for the quantum physics-meets-string theory approach to determining Miami’s chances of gaining Mr. Collins’ services.

Randy, Susan Tedeschi married Derek Trucks and they formed their own band.

The whole La’el Collins situation is reminding me of how a certain other group of players came together. Same town too.

TWO MORE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS would look nice on the flagpoles of Sun-Baked Stadium, eh, Young Stanger??

“Jet Life Going bring my Brother back to South Beach… #FinsUp #LCToMiami”

—- Anthony Johnson’s caption of a selfie of his leg reclining on a seat in front of him on the jet down to Baton Rouge.

Picture the big NT from Oklahoma showing up fat and out of shape. Now picture him surrounded by Wake, Collins and Suh. All of a sudden, basic training at Parris Island (YES, that’s two RR’s you stupid spell-checker) doesn’t look quite as bad.

Stanger

I know some would think I’m overdoing it, but I really do think Collins is the last piece to the puzzle. I think we’re ready to compete with anyone if we get him.

Mike E; I’d agree with you IF we had a head coach nearly as good as the Don of Miami.

Maybe this is the year Philbin gets it all together. He’s a smart man, he just needs to connect with the players and push the right buttons a little better.

Mike E — I really want him, but no I don’t think he would push us to elite. Would be looking playoffs though.

That’s all you need to do and then play your best football. When the Giants won their two most recent SBs they were not elite teams. I could argue we’re a better team on paper.

OD, I heard the radio interview with Jordan Phillips after he was drafted and he’s an articulate, nice guy who I did not get the sense isn’t excited and not motivated about starting his NFL career. I think people are taking some of the cons about him and running with it. As many people as there are who question the pick, there are as many who think he was a steal. We’ll see but I’m willing to give the kid a chance as a fan.

Stanger,

I don’t think any team is elite. I think all the teams are pretty close, but I think our team has always been close to the playoffs. Now we have a major bad ass on defense, so I’m thinking the fading on defense goes away, and if we add La’el, we’ll have another badass on offense. Add in Parker, Ajayi and Cameron to the offense, and Suh and Phillips to the defense, and I think we’re ready to play with anyone, I really do.

I could see the team breaking out and running toward the bowl, just think the chances are slim. We still ain’t NE, Denver or Seattle.

I think if Tannehill takes another step forward, as he has every year, we are. I also think we’re going to have to be more dedicated to the run game too, and Collins and Ajayi would help a lot in that department, maybe even the Mighty Lynch! lol

Landry taking his game to another level and you know he will, and Stills who is kind of flying under the radar with a seasoned vet in Jennings and we have good talent at the skill positions. Let’s not forget Miller and an ascending Sims.

BTW – Just thought of this. I’m much happier with Jay Ajayi in the 5th as compared to Tyler Varga.

By far, it’s not even close. The only real negative on Ajayi is how long he can play on his knee. But that guy is going to be a great fit in our offense and Williams will provide really good depth. All 3 of our top backs are good receivers. Not to leave out Gillislee who also showed in college he could run, catch and block. He’s the forgotten man because he missed the season but he has skills. We’ve never seen him run in this offense our ZBS.

The RB position should have excellent competition this year.

Yeah, I’m very happy we have Ajayi and Millertime. They should complement each other very well, kind of like thunder and lightning.

111. naplesfan2010 says:

so which teams do you think are better than the Dolphins right now (without collins)??
    Clearly better. I don’t care why right now. You could say coaching, RB, QB, Defense, I don’t care. just say which teams are better than us right now.

112. naplesfan2010 says:

PS: I am ecstatic to get Ajayi while I would have been 50/50 that Varga even makes the 53.

113. naplesfan2010 says:

I do not think Landry will have as many catches this year, but that is a good thing.

114. naplesfan2010 says:

The only team that I think is clearly better than us is … ???

If Dallas Thomas and Billy Turner are ready for Prime Time, then I say no team is clearly better.

116. naplesfan2010 says:

well Mike you say above that we are ready to compete with anyone.

117. naplesfan2010 says:

So is Dallas better than us?

118. naplesfan2010 says:

IS Green Bay better than us?

Try Pod says:
    May 5, 2015 at 9:08 am
    Did we previously discuss that Hickenbaum sounds like a Jewish Redneck?
    May 5, 2015 at 9:09 am
    LOL. believe I was the one who said it. 🙂
    You are the only one on this board who can get away with saying that!

I kind of have carte blanche being that my wife and daughter are Jewish as is that whole side of my family who I socialize with regularly. I’ve also worked for Jewish people much of my life so I kind of feel somewhat Jewish. LOL

• Brian in NY says:

That’s right. I thought about that after I hit “post comment”. Have at it Tim.

120. naplesfan2010 says:

Any other teams obviously better than us?

• Brian in NY says:

New England. People here have counted them out year after year for one reason of another. Until we can beat them for the AFC East title (with Brady playing), then I will continue saying they are the team to beat.

Agreed. That’s how I want it to be too. I want to overthrow them, not wait for them to whittle away.

Mike,

naples,
    I think this team needs to learn how to win. They have faded down the stretch for what seems like forever and they have not been able to consistently do what it takes to win close games…especially when it matters. I think they need a few years in the playoffs to learn how to do that. I know it’s been done, but it’s rare for a team that hasn’t been in the playoffs for a decade to get there and do anything significant. I’d just like to see us have a winning season and get into the playoffs. That would be a good first step.

• Brian in NY says:

Agreed. It was especially disappointing two years ago when we beat Pitt and NE late, only to fall flat on our face against Buffalo and the Jets. I really thought we had turned the corner that year.

123. naplesfan2010 says:

All the same size:
    Douglas, Jamil G 6-4 304 Johnson, Anthony DT 6-2 304
    Pouncey, Mike C 6-5 305 Suh, Ndamukong DT 6-4 305
    Walton, J.D. OL 6-3 305

• naplesfan2010 says:

sorry but someone off this board was telling me how huge Suh is (as to why we did not need Phillips)

124. naplesfan2010 says:

Randy
    I completely understand what you are saying, but I did not make any claim about WL record or playoffs at all, let alone the Super Bowl.
    I would like to look at this a little differently.
    If you guys want to, let’s take out coaching.
    What other teams have a better roster right now than ours?

• naplesfan2010 says:

I am challenging you that I think there is no other team with a better roster.
      I am just asking you which team(s) do so I can be aware.

• naplesfan2010 says:

so sorry I am NOT challenging you guys. I am NOT saying I think ours is the best roster.

On that criteria I think Seattle and Baltimore are as complete or even more so.

125. naplesfan2010 says:

The BIGgest on our team
    Asper, Mark G 6-6 321 McClendon, Jacques OL 6-3 324
    Linkenbach, Jeff OL 6-6 325 Phillips, Jordan DT 6-5 329
    Francis, A.J. DT 6-5 330

Mike E, I don’t view Ajayi as a pure power back. He’s kind of all around in skill set. He does remind me of Marshawn Lynch with some of his runs but probably not as physical. But who cares? For the record Miller carries more weight than Ajayi at 2″ shorter. 5-10 225 vs. 6-0 221.

I really like our RB situation and we didn’t have to spend a high pick to get it done. I was okay with Williams as the #2 and Gillislee pushing for playing time. Ajayi adds another skill level to the group.

127. jahndoh says:

“Stang says we aren’t as good as Seattle, Denver, or NE. I am not disagreeing with him.
    Any other teams obviously better than us?”

Am I the only one that remembers even AFTER Albert went down to injury we went into Denver and gave them such fits it took a near miracle for them to win the game?

If we’re a pick-em in Denver, how are they clearly better? (rhetorical, I know you weren’t making a strong statement or anything Naples)

• jahndoh says:

I think it’s important to remember that the only jersey Stanger would’ve worn more than Fields’ would have been Mannings if he came to Miami. 🙂

I don’t see Denver as clearly better if Tanny goes up predictably, and Peyton goes down predictably.

• jahndoh says:

That was the first game when Manning’s late season swoon happened. We didn’t notice it so much because they ran all over us. I’m shocked we kept it close given I’m certain we didn’t gameplan for 80/20 Run/Pass ratio.

128. jahndoh says:

“Mike,
    I agree 100% that Collins is the last piece of the puzzle on offense. I am going to be REALLY disappointed if we don’t land him, presuming he doesn’t go away for the murder of his ex and her unborn child…”

You Sir are setting yourself up for a serious disappointment. It’s like being disappointed that you didn’t win the lottery when the deck was stacked against you all along. The odds aren’t as long, but it’s still far less than 50% that he’ll sign with the fins even IF he’s exonerated, which…seems to be a conclusion that lots of folks are jumping too in this fantasy fest.

I’m just saying, to you and to Mike E, it’s bad for your health if you get too invested in outcomes that are long shots. 🙂

• Brian in NY says:

Jahn,
      Have you NEVER read my posts? I always set myself up for a serious disappointment!

• jahndoh says:

Lol…far be it from me to rain on the parade. I was just looking out for you well being is all. 🙂

We hope for the same outcome fwiw. I think it would be a serious boon to land two top 15 talents in one single draft/post draft period.

The entire team needs to make a jump and if everyone does their job better we’ll be a playoff team. We’re right there. We need some more special and consistency. This is from the FO to the coaches to the players. Everyone do their job better and we could be 10-6 to 12-4 if some things break right and we make a few more significant plays in big spots. That’s all it takes. Then play your best ball late.

130. Try Pod says:

I have read many books in my time, particularly fantasy, so I feel I am able to be objective. I just finished “Game Of Thrones”. I like few of the characters, I don’t feel much about most of them. The story is ‘eh’. However, I will continue to read it. At this point, I can’t give it better than a ‘C’, and I think I am being generous. Please don’t be mad at me.

• Try Pod says:

I will say that had I watched it instead of reading it, I think I would be more inclined to like it.

The show is very cool with the cast, the settings and wardrobes, the power struggles etc.

• naplesfan2010 says:

I think the book is generally considered by people who know quality of writing to be about a C grade book. I have never seen the TV show, so I am not commenting on that.

• Try Pod says:

Just to be clear, I have not watched any of the show. I just think it might be a more appealing story to me as ‘live action’ as opposed to text.

Superbowl Odds from VegasInsider.com…….you get the point.
    ———————————
    Seattle Seahawks 6/1
    Green Bay Packers 15/2
    Indianapolis Colts 8/1
    New England Patriots 8/1
    Dallas Cowboys 14/1
    Denver Broncos 14/1
    —- 7 other teams —-
    Dolphins are one of four teams at 40/1

Nobody knows this team yet. Think about the Seahawks when they made their first playoff game at 7-9 a few years ago.

Anything could happen. We went from 1-15 to AFC East champs not so long ago.

• naplesfan2010 says:

That’s it then…no need to play the season.

Absolutely play and hope…….just don’t see the need to hope the team is elite when Vegas thinks it is middle of the pack.

Vegas doesn’t think, we react to what the asshole will bet.

• jahndoh says:

Exactly Steve. Vegas’ job is to set a line so the betting balances out on both sides. That says that folks aren’t gambling on the Fins and are gambling on the Pats. It does not assess the quality of the teams. That’s the point of this exercise Stanger, is to come up with our own well thought out comments on where we stand. If we wanted what the Vegas odds tell us we could just repeat after ESPN all day long.

132. naplesfan2010 says:

I see these Post Draft power rankings coming out now. I have seen us from 10-20.
    That is a nice place to be, given the bias against us that you see a lot.
    But to guarantee you make the playoffs, you have to be in the top ten because some division is gonna send a team that is not as good as the others but the division is weak.
    I think we had a strong division last year which is why i think our 8-8 was a strong 8-8.
    Just from the SB champ coming out of our div … we beat the SB champ last year.

Try

I thoroughly enjoyed the books (GOT), the descriptiveness, the detail he goes into, especially considering the immense cast. I think he does a fabulous job of getting in touch with the main characters while also making them dispensable. I’ve read all of them and am still eagerly awaiting the next one.

I’m really psyched to see our 90 man roster get down to 53.

The thing we fans and many nimrods across the league forget about sometimes, is Tannehill’s improvement every year. His teammates rally around him and speak highly of his work ethic. That should never be overlooked.

When we started off new in 2012 with Philbin and staff and a rookie QB in Tannehill, we should have known that turnover and learning curve growth would happen. Yes some vets would still remain but over 4 years there would be a lot of changes to the roster. There is no way around that, especially with a GM change midway.

What happened before 2012 didn’t matter anymore.

135. naplesfan2010 says:

I have an unofficial list of 16 UDFAs that we have signed. I thought that was odd since our roster had 77 players already. Sure enough we cut three from our former roster this afternoon, so we have exactly 90.
    (I have heard that the UDFA list is not set for any team for a few days, as they are all negotiating their best deal and can choose their team, just as La’el can.)

• naplesfan2010 says:

NONE of the UDFAs are appearing on the official roster on the Dolphins website as yet.

They were there and have been removed. This happened last year, I think it’s jumping too quick until contracts are done. I remember last year 2-3 did not sign with us but another 12-15 most likely will.

Jahn

I’m not really expecting us to get La’el, but I will surely be disappointed if/when we don’t. I’ll be alright, I’m not counting on it. Thanks bud!

To me the GOT books are better than the show the complexities of the characters are brought out more and the descriptive text is outstanding imo.

138. naplesfan2010 says:

Miller is a big RB. Some ppl act like he is a skinny runner, because of his style, but he is 5’10 224.

139. Try Pod says:

I do not want to sound arrogant or piss on anyone’s parade, but I find the writing in GOT undisciplined and haphazard. If not for the continuing hint of what might be happening on the other side of the wall I’d swear he was making this story up on the fly. It’s just not very professional in delivery to me. But I will continue to read. His best character by far is Tyrion, and he is just about the only one I care to follow at this point.

Have you read all the books?

• naplesfan2010 says:

“he was making this story up on the fly. ”
      This is a very interesting comment. I do not know what this means.
      Can you explain what this means and why it is a bad thing?
      I think your comment is very perceptive and analytical.

• Try Pod says:

Sorry. It does not seem that he had fleshed out the characters before he started writing. It’s as if he said “I need someone to do this” and brings them in without thinking of the entire arc of the story. Admittedly I have only read one book, but it was the first one. I get the sense he did not know how well the book would do, certainly he didn’t plan on 7 or more books from the beginning. I would hope that had he known ahead of time what his run would be, he might have developed characters more deliberately. And I must say I an not seeing the character development that others have spoken of.

• Try Pod says:

For complexity of character, read the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Randy can attest to its complexity.

So how come Philbin didn’t go see Collins? It was just our LSU alumns that went. I don’t like that when the Bills are sending rex and we are sending the college frat party.

What I like in particular about the GOT books is something that it shares with the Hunger Games books and that is the very descriptive text about food. In particular as to how food is a weapon of class warfare. In both the Hunger Games and GOT there are these very rich sumptuous descriptions of the food at noble feast or the Presidential Palace. It is then often time juxtaposed with description of the common fare that the masses have to eat. It is an interesting sociological perspective of showing the class divide through food.

• naplesfan2010 says:

fascinating Ken … anything else?

Many things are fascinating in the GOT books. Another thing it shares in common with Hunger Games is that most of the characters are very young. Younger than are portrayed in the show. So you do have the common element of youth leading the way but being suppressed by the older generational types such as Tywin Lannister.

Ken

People are talking that Rex may have fucked up by meeting with him yesterday
    I don;t know the answer yet

Collins has withdrawn from LSU, and final exams have not concluded there yet. (Finals are happening this week.) So teams can’t visit a player at his campus or residence.

There’s possibly a loophole in the rule, if for example Bills coach Rex Ryan met with Collins not on campus or at his residence but at a local Applebee’s. But that seems to be too easy of a fix to be permitted.

Regardless, LSU finals are scheduled to last until May 9. Until then, restrictions apply to the direct efforts to recruit Collins. Which would explain his agent’s recent statement that Collins won’t be meeting with any teams at this time.

**************
    Now I get it

they are saying team officials can;t visit the player at school
    So Philbin can;t go to school

Rex just met Collins for dinner
    He did not go to the school

but if he met in baton rouge that is pretty suspect

But we should be trying to take advantage of the same loophole then. The Bills come with their head coach and we come with the frat party. Not professional looking imo.

I don’t think so

I think we want our FO to present itself professionally

The players Can be his boys
        Not the coaches

Rex doesn’t draw those distinctions
        Sometimes his players love him for it
        But other times players need some one to he a little more dignified

• Try Pod says:

I have to agree with piggy on this. I think we look more professional by not sending leadership after him, at it follows the rules, written and unwritten. I remember how amateurish we looked when Ross got on a plane to recruit harbaugh when we had a coach under contract.

Looks good to me

What Rex did is being described as unsanctioned

May 5, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Superbowl Odds from VegasInsider.com…….you get the point.
    ———————————
    Seattle Seahawks 6/1
    Green Bay Packers 15/2
    Indianapolis Colts 8/1
    New England Patriots 8/1
    Dallas Cowboys 14/1
    Denver Broncos 14/1

wow, i got to admit that is shocking. what next, they will probably come out with something more crazy like giving odds ohio state, alabama or oregon will win next years college championship.

Piggy, I read teams can’t meet or even deal with some draft picks and UDFAs until “fiscal” year is over. Not on the college grounds or at a personnel residence. But maybe at a public place like Applebees where you can say: hey, funny seeing you here! LOL

Also Ken
    Collins agent has announced that Collins is NOT meeting with team officials yet

Alright my night time drive by is over. I am out. Peace to you all and F Rex and his unsactioned visit. Let the Bills lose a draft pick or 2.

• Try Pod says:

Goodnight Ken. I’m reading “A Clash of Kings”, so I haven’t given up.

Keep reading them. I think they get better each book but that’s me. Not everyone has the same taste in literature. I am out goodnight.

this was supposed to be a link to a king pig
        I will try again

150. naplesfan2010 says:

Trypod
    Thank you for the further explication. That explains it all perfectly.

• Try Pod says:

I feel like an arrogant ass, as I’m no writer. I just don’t feel he was disciplined when he started, but perhaps his later writing will change my opinion.

• naplesfan2010 says:

not at all Try … not at all … your comments are very well thought out

What does Tannebaum have to do with LSU? Did he go to school there?

• naplesfan2010 says:

nothing I think but la’el’s agent works for the same firm that Tannenbaum worked for between his jets job and dolphins job.

He graduated cum laude from Tulane University Law School where he earned his certificate in sports law. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Lol, Omar’s ineptitude is actually funny 😉

The Patriots drafted 2 o-lineman in the 4th rd, but the interior of their O-line is being overhauled. Ja’el Collins fits And they WIN

The legal mumbo jumbo is getting all crazy here!!! LOL

I’m excited about the team sans La’el Collins. This team needs a few breaks and a few new impact players. A lot of turnover this year. A lot!

Speaking of breaks, did you notice that the Rams snatched Gurley from us, so we drafted parker, then Ajayi fell to us? In the past we would’ve drafted Gurley and Ajayi would’ve been there smilling at us.

155. naplesfan2010 says:

one thing about the cool photoshop pic above though is that Juwaun is #70 and I doubt he gives that up. (Don’t tell La’el that yet though.)

156. naplesfan2010 says:

so Trypod did you read 50 shades of grey?

Try Pod says:
    May 5, 2015 at 9:14 pm

For complexity of character, read the Malazan Book of the Fallen.
    —————–
    For my money the best fantasy series ever written. If you like amazingly complex characters, intricate story lines and philosophical introspection you’ll love The Malazan books.

(The “Chain of Dogs” is one of the most amazing and heart-wrenching sequence of events I’ve ever read.)

• Try Pod says:

No, though that is also a type of fantasy novel lol. Anomander Rake, Whiskey Jack and Quick Ben are among my favorite characters ever written, as are Karsa, Tehol and To’ol.

• Try Pod says:

These are supposed to be 2 different posts.

Lol, I was just typing that I think the first line was in response to the 50 shades of Grey question.

Rake and Whiskeyjack are two of my favorites ever written as well. I’m going to have to re-read this again soon, lol.

• Try Pod says:

My apologies Kong. I had forgotten you and I had also spoken about Malazan Empire books. Speaking of heart-rending sequences, I think of the fight between Tavore and her sister and just find myself unable to fathom it.

Dbolt getting some props!

James Walker ‏@JamesWalkerNFL · 41m41 minutes ago
    BTW, rookie practices start Friday and I need a new motto/hashtag for the 2015 #Dolphins. Last year, it was #NoExcuses. Any suggestions

Dbolt48 ‏@Dbolt48 · 29m29 minutes ago
    @JamesWalkerNFL #BlockSomething

James Walker ‏@JamesWalkerNFL · 25m25 minutes ago
    “@Dbolt48: @JamesWalkerNFL #BlockSomething”-That made me laugh. It was probably fitting the past three seasons for Ryan Tannehill. #Dolphins

Later Haters

Steve, the turnover from the 2013 offseason is off the charts. We rolled back fucking time and targeted the future! LOL

Bring it every week or walk.

Unbelievable the FO was able to pull off the turnover of the disgruntled/under acheivers in one off-season with little cap money. I still can’t get over the 4 5ths, that was pure genius.

Trypod,
    I’m about halfway thru the final Malazan book, and I have to admit I’ve lost track of some of the characters and story lines. It’s easily one of the most complex series I’ve ever read. It’s like the last 5 minutes in the fourth quarter, and I’m sucking wind just hoping to make it to the end! Lol

• Try Pod says:

I still have half of “The Crippled God” to read. It had become too much for me (keeping track of everything), so I put it down and read Wheel of Time instead. Lol

If I have any criticism of the Malazan it would be I wish Erikson stopped introducing new people/characters/story lines in the last 2-3 books because it does become needlessly over complex and hard to follow near the end. Although ultimately that is the way he writes and those same qualities are what make the first 3/4 of the series so good.

My second time through the books I picked up a flipping ton that I missed the first time through.

• Try Pod says:

I guess his strength (character development/backstory/continuation) is also a detraction; he is so detailed and so intent on getting everything lined up that you have to read a lot of the book before the story starts to flow, but I will say you get your money’s worth- the last book in trade paperback is 900 pages, which would be more than 1500 in mass paperback.

Try,
    Tavore and her sister was definitely tough in a series filled with tough moments. Lol, heck I threw the book down and stopped reading it for 3 days after Whiskeyjack and Kallor fought. Although that does bring to mind a second criticism about Erikson. He loves his characters too much. I hate the “bringing them back from the dead” stuff he does. He does it too much. I felt I was emotionally tricked after…trying not to post blatant spoilers…Kallor/Whiskeyjack…loses it’s finality, so to speak.

• Try Pod says:

Planes of existence.. Yeah, I agree, and I was warned about that by my father in law. But many of the Ascendents never really get involved again, which is kind of a disappointment in itself- why bring them back if they aren’t going to directly contribute?

Speaking of planes of existence and Ascendants, one of the neatest things about the series is the worlds’ different magics and you gradually learn the concepts and how it works throughout the series. Lol, I should probably stop now. I could talk about this series for days on end. So much in it to discuss.

Cheers, bro.

Not sure on the OL yet.
    QB Tannehill, Moore
    RB Miller, Ajayi, Williams, Gillislee
    WR Landry, Stills, Jennings, Parker, Matthews, Bryd (sleeper)
    TE Cameron, Sims, Lynch

• jahndoh says:

All I need to know about the OL is that Albert will be back.

……
      ……..and of course, can he stay on the field?

I KNOW ( I rolled out the bold tag that one!) that if the answer to the 2nd question is “for the entire season”, that this OL is VASTLY improved from last years’

Kong,
    Wow, you get the perseverance reward if you’ve read that series twice. The only series I’ve read more than once was the LotR trilogy…read that 4 times. Otherwise, I always hate knowing what’s coming.

I read a ridiculous amount so inevitably I re-read my favorites when I’ve burned through any new stuff I have. I’ve read some stuff a dozen times. Lol, The Malazan requires such dedication and emotional commitment I’ve only read that twice.

• Try Pod says:

I haven’t read Esselmont’s work. I just don’t know that I want to invest in it from that perspective.

I haven’t either for the exact same reason although I hear it’s as good as Erikson.

• Try Pod says:

I have read a few series twice- chronicles, belgariad, malorean, tamuli, sword of shannara off the top of my head. I re read them because I liked them but also cause I know I missed a lot the first time that I pick up on subsequent reads.

I think my favorite character is probably Tehol Beddict. I can’t remember which book they highlighted him, but I really enjoyed his dialogue with just about everyone else. I like Quick Ben too.

166. jahndoh says:

You guys are nerds. I’m a little jealous I don’t know what you’re talking about…but I guess I nerd out on some things that you guys don’t too. 🙂

If I want to read one book in that genre, other than the standards, what would it be?

• Try Pod says:

You should probably ask the more educated, but we all seem to agree the Malazan Empire series is pretty high end. If you like dark, detailed, well mapped and linked story telling, it is as good as I have ever read. But if you find yourself too impatient to wait for the story to start to go, this might not be for you.

That is a tough question, Jahn. It depends what you like. I could see you liking the Prince of Nothing trilogy by Scott Bakker. The writing is very intelligent. It’s heavy on the philosophy and very dark realism. I love it but some find it too ponderous.

Some other good yet not as well known series in the fantasy genre:

Joe Abercrombie – First Law trilogy
      Zelazny – Amber Chronicles (a classic series)
      Brust – Taltos series (short, fun easy reading books)
      Gemmel – Drenai Tales

Just to name a few.

• Try Pod says:

I also liked Chalker, Niven, hell, even some of early Anthony, until he became too silly. K, bed time.

167. jahndoh says:

Piggy, that’s a fantastic piece on Parker (and Lamar Thomas). There were so many great quotes, but this one stuck out to me:

““If we drafted DeVante in the first round and in five years if he’s not successful, why would it be?” the scout asked.

Thomas had a good answer: “That means that you guys will have done an awful job developing a quarterback.””

I was shocked to read the cheats only made it to #3 on the all time list of sports cheaters.

169. Try Pod says:

Alright all. Goodnight.

I think a book club is forming. Can we get some iced tea and finger sandwiches going? LOL

i’ve also read a lot of the greatest literary works as I was 3 credits short of an English degree. It’s just that I read for pure pleasure and escapism now. War and Peace, the Divine Comedy, Ulysses, the Iliad, Crime and Punishment, the Catcher in the Rye, Gulliver’s Travels…read them all and many more of the “greatest” books, but now I read about magic and elves. Lol

And, if you’re gonna read the Makazan series, be ready to read 10 books…most of which are well over 900 pages.

• New Age says:

I loved that series.The books by his buddy are ok and he has started another series in that world as well.

Kong,
    I think the background of Erikson’s writing is the cause of your criticisms. Building that world for his campaigns gave him time to fully flesh it out while building lots of characters to advance the adventures. As a ‘dungeon master’ keeping the best characters alive is usually a necessity. It is probably the deepest series I have read.

Try,
    GoT was only intended as a trilogy and Martin has always been haphazard in his writing. He did not think this through but I do enjoy the historical inspiration for his story. His skill definitely lies in his ability to dig in the dirty aspects of life in that world.

Have any of you read Brandon Sanderson and his Stormlight Archive? He is a solid writer who usually writes very interesting magical systems for his worlds. He is very prolific but his best work is previously mentioned.

Another popular author for Jahn could be Jim Butcher. Not my favorite but very solid and easy reads especially the Dresden Files. Patrick Rothfuss is a fantastic story-teller if you can get past his primary character being a Gary Stu.

174. 81Howie says:

Hey this is old!
    I guess we never got this Collins guy and I never heard of him elsewhere.
    MUST HAVE WENT TO PRISON…

Only reason to rehash this La’el story is, because we’ve acquired him. Well our OL problems are solved, good bye 6-10 hello playoffs. Playoffs!

So I guess we’re trying to re-sign mathews? I think that’s a good move. I just hope he doesn’t turn into hartline after he signs a big deal.

its funny to read some of the comments from last may. We still had hope about 2015 season. SMH. Philbin is such a douche.

It’s Race Day!

Sorry, I’ve been away for over a week. I see no one missed me or even cared.
    So byte my ass blog! LMAO 😉

I thought about you but figured you went on vacation before sending out concern posts. 🙂

What’s with the old post?

No vaca, I wish. Just been navigating life’s struggles is all.
        Good to see some nice discussions on prospects that I follow. FA & the draft will be here before we know it. Then we can crown ourselves offseason Champs once again. 😀

Get La’el! Make a trade! Do it! Do it! lol

This is from an Armando article about salary cuts.
    “Extend Cameron Wake. This is happening. Wake has been at the team facility practically every day. He’s expected to be fully recovered from his Achilles tear by training camp. Indeed, he’s already working out as if nothing had happened. So the Dolphins are going to extend Wake in the next couple of weeks to lower his cap number from his scheduled $9.8 million. There should be approximately $3-$5 million cap relief from this work.”

Are you kidding me? Wake is a freak.

Go Wake. That’s also an inspiration to other teammates! Looks like we’ll now solve one DE issue, if even just situational on passing downs.
      Then give OV a hometown friendly offer. If he walks for more money, that’s on him. If so, then resign Shelby & draft a DE stud by round 2.

How Cool is our new HC!

182. 81Howie says:

HELL YEAH on WAKE!

183. 81Howie says:

SPOILER ALLERT!
    Kyle Bush is going to win 🙂
    Jimmy Johnson and Matt Kenseth in backups will finish ahead of Chase Elliot.
    Now I can take my nap and catch the big one at the end

Wakes is in great shape

Great Weekend!!!!!!!!!

Anyone want to come over and wash my Bike?

Anyone else seeing blank posts by Wyo?

I can see the videos in Wyoming’s posts. Does that make me special?