Large Scamotz

It happened seemingly overnight, I used to walk to the corner Italian restaurant into the bar area and pick up a large scamotz (how we used to say it) for the family. It is actually “scamorza” cheese and it used to be what all the pizza’s were made with. That and thick pepperoni that had a bite to it and would curl up at the edges as it cooked. All of a sudden scamotz disappeared and mozzarella took its place. I didn’t even get a chance to say goodbye. The thin white box, so hot on the bottom you could barely hold it with thin crust and the smell – oh the smell – delicious.

fm2015-pizza-4e6acac1

Three Corner’s Italian Restaurant was just a couple of blocks away, across from Gene’s market, where I bought my baseball cards. Well baseball cards, football cards, gum, candy, soda, twinkies, devil dogs, neco wafers, Tahitian treat, Yoohoo you name it. Anyway, Three Corners wasn’t one of the better restaurants around but it was the closest so it served our family well at times. I remember walking up there and entering the smoke filled bar to pick up the large scamotz with pepperoni. The bar was separate from the restaurant and had it’s own entry. I was just a little kid then too, but the bartender and the patrons didn’t care that a kid was in there.

I’ll just never understand how quickly scamorza suddenly disappeared. I’ve heard it had to do with cost and availability but how could everyone have had it one day and not the next. I suppose the change was more gradual impero20scamorza20a-675x675than I may remember because to me it was abrupt and sudden and leaves me baffled still to this day. Ordering a large scamotz was so simple, it flowed off the tongue. Now it’s a “cheese” pizza and who knows what crap they are putting on there. Large mozzarella sounds idiotic, no one orders a large mozzarella. But they did order a large scamotz, you better believe it.

There used to be a simpler time. A time when you ordered a pizza by the name of the cheese on it. A time when it was a given that Don Shula would have his team in the playoffs and the Big Red Machine would be a factor. Now it’s cheese pizza, Patriots and no one cares about baseball all that much. We, well at least I, want our old pizza cheese back. We want Coach Gase to return the Dolphins to prominence and glory. And baseball, well baseball can still use the All-Star game to manipulate the season.

We are two long weeks away from the opening of camp for most NFL teams and a month or more away from even pre-season games but the hardest stretch is about to be over and we we can live in football harmony once again. Our Dolphins seem primed to break out, properly coached and motivated this is a talented group that has as good a chance as any Dolphin team to make a playoff run.

temp061616-minicamp-ag-33-nfl_mezz_1280_1024

Man on phone: Hey how ya doin? Let me get a large scamotz

restaurant person: Sure, you want pepperoni on dat?

M: Yea, dat sounds good.

rp: You gonna pick it up?

M: No, I’ll send da boy down

rp: Alright then

675 Responses to Large Scamotz

Was just watching highlights of the week 17 game against the Cheats, with Vernon Lundquest calling the game. He sounded like he wanted the cheats to win, when making the TD calls. He had no enthusiasm at all, like he was the cheats TV guy.

WNBA lifts fines on players for uniform violation. The NBA sent out a memo to players saying not to wear the black lives matters tee shirts (NBA Summer League) or they’ll be fined, they stopped. It’s not about what they’re protesting, you can’t use the league as your political platform. It’s bad for the league. I guess the WNBA has no pull.

Well my son is 2/3 through The Eighth Annual TriWaco Triathlon will be on Sunday, July 24, 2016.

He just finished!

The race starts with a 1500-meter open water swim in the Brazos River followed by a mostly flat and fast 25-mile bike ride on country roads north and west of Waco. The race finishes out with a hilly 10-kilometer run along the Brazos River that leads to the oldest suspension bridge in the United States

Foster vs Miller, if Foster can stay on the field he’s a real RB, not the plastic back Miller is. Foster compares to what the jets are getting in Forte, both are great catching the ball and getting extra yards. Not sure how much either have left in the tank though.

Kevin Faulk on Brady not being able to talk football with teammates during the suspension:
    “First and foremost, he’s going to watch every practice and every game that’s played,” said Faulk, who served a league-imposed one-game suspension during his 13-year career. “That’s how he’s going to keep on top of everything. Somehow, within the rules, he’s going to watch film.”

I’m sure he’s going to do everything within the rules. Anyone that thinks he is, is naïve.

If I’m Russian, I don’t want Trump winning. They know Hilary can be bought.

Watching Juice highlights, speed is relative, if I didn’t know what his 40 time was I’d say 4.4 Those small steps of his make it hard to match his quickness. Instead of us needing to move the ball around, I’m OK with him getting 100 catches again, but there really needs to be more of them further downfield.

4 days till Training Camp baby! Let’s get it on!

Main team issues from last year, keep OL healthy, schemes on both sides of the ball, RT ineffectiveness on 3rd down and 4th qtr. Gase has been working on RT weaknesses, the new schemes are aggressive, and depth seems to be there, so no excuses this year. Big progress is the only thing acceptable.

steveccnv says:

July 23, 2016 at 5:01 pm

“Do you want a ‘you’re fired’ president or a ‘you’re hired’ president?” Kaine asked in Annandale, Virginia, as Clinton nodded. “Do you want a trash-talking president or a bridge-building president?”
    Kaine

We just want one that isn’t corrupt.

herdfan says:

July 23, 2016 at 6:37 pm

We’re screwed.

LMAO at Herd!!!!

NO MORE EXCUSES!! THE LAST YEAR FOR EXCUSES!!

13. Al in MIA says:

Steve,
    Landry is a 4.5x sec 40 time kinda guy most likely but his true speed was immeasurable prior to the draft due to a hamstring injury limiting his top end ability.
    In any case, he is a short strider and his quick short leg movements allow him to decelerate/accelerate quickly and make ppl miss.
    You won’t see the 4.4 type speed on post routes as most CB keep up with him in this area.

• Al in MIA says:

Sb7,
      I’ll be upset if i have to eat this on September 18th (1pm game vs NE)

I don’t expect to see him run many deep routes, especially against press man coverage, but his speed is very deceptive for the plays he does run. With that said his size/speed are the only things keeping him from being OBJ.

both OBJ and Landry are listed as 5’11
        I didn’t measure their legs…lol

I think the difference between the two is the speed
        and IMO there is a reason one was a top 10 pick and the other 2nd round and its speed

Albeit I did see OBJ and Landry evaluated as pretty much equals up until the last few months before that draft
        It wasn’t until after the combine that OBJ really began to spate himself from Landry

As I recall OBJ flew and Landry appeared slow (and was injured)

I tend to think Landry is very good at the shorter stuff and very good at YAC

I do agree with your point that he has deceptive speed
        I just happen to think what OBJ does for the Giants fits well with them

I just wanted to sound smart.

That’s awesome to hear about the Triatholon WY

How did it go for him?
    everyone says the swimming sucks

Al in MIA says:
    July 23, 2016 at 10:45 am

D,
    The illegal immigration thing is not necessarily a problem in the job capturing part (as you mentioned, many take very low end paying jobs) but there are problems with state/federal benefits being allocated to them without those aliens paying into the system via taxes. At the state level, sales tax is something they all pay when they buy goods at stores but for federal items, they pay no federal payroll taxes since they go undocumented. People here can bitch about legal process and all this theoretical crap but the reality is that it’s much easier to legalize those already here immediate to put them on federal payroll taxes and then work to secure borders after the fact.
    ————————————————
    Al,
    Statement i made wasn’t to say that there aren’t legit concerns, in fact what i eluded to in the rest was that a lot of people who are in parts of the US that are not as affected will pick a side or the other and say blanket media statements like “they are stealing our jobs” or “There is no true risk from illegals”, these are viewpoints from the less informed constituents of either side. I was saying the people you always hear making those blanket statements are not the ones with a true perspective, because they usually bring up topics that are real, and have merit. I was also saying we must come to agreements among ourselves with primary concerns and opinion from those that are actually affected and without big politics getting involved and making a mockery out of getting shit fixed.

The post i made actually was completely non-partisan and i showed examples from both sides and feel there are influences from both sides that raise the voice of the less informed over those who can bring real perspective on the situation.

In the case of immigration i would much rather hear the voice of someone who has gone through the process, is going through it, has skipped it, etc or on the flips side, lost benefits, seen increases in health care, has suffered at the hands of an illegal who committed a crime against them, etc.. People that can show the ugly on either side. I think that once people can see things from the eyes of another you will at the very least have a whole picture look at the problem and not the tunnel vision that comes from a political or media influenced agenda.

• Al in MIA says:

“Interestingly, young Tannehill’s birthdate is July 24, dad’s birthdate is July 27 and mom’s birthdate is July 28.”

• Brian in NY says:

I’d like to see then give him one more shot. Let’s see what the guy has; pay him the $1.65 million and see what happens.

• Al in MIA says:

My opinion as well Brian… 1.65 mill for talent upside is worth it. Teams pay for this kind of crap all the time. Quinton Couples anyone? This is no different to me.

18. Al in MIA says:

——
    DOLPHINS NEWS Before the Dolphins and every other NFL team adjourned for a six-week vacation, Adam Gase made abundantly clear to us – and his players – that he wanted all of them to return in shape.

And judging from the turnout at respected local trainer Pete Bommarito’s training facility this month, his players are paying attention.

Among those that have been working out this month at Bommarito’s Davie facility: Jarvis Landry, Earl Mitchell, Kenny Stills, Jelani Jenkins, Tony Lippett, Bobby McCain, Chris Jones, Terrence Fede and Isaiah Pead.

“Landry has been our poster boy; been huge for us,” Bommarito said. “I love Earl Mitchell; he’s a machine. I have a soft spot for Bobby McCain; he’s fast and physical. Bobby always had good straight-line speed. He’s [now] playing as fast as his timed speed.”

Among non-Dolphins who have been working with Bommarito: Lamar Miller, Sean Spence, Vontae Davis, Frank Gore and Teddy Bridgewater.

By the way, though Ryan Tannehill isn’t working at Bommarito’s facility, he came by an adjacent field in Davie to throw passes to a couple of his receivers earlier this month.

19. Al in MIA says:

“Dolphins’ coaching carousel must end with Adam Gase “

I’d give Dion FF a chance at $1.6….good point Brian & Al…..we saved a lot of money on his absence as well as wasted a lot of other crap like Quinton Coples.
    But it all will be up to the new regime….they have much more inside info on him than we or the local media pundits.

I’d think if Dion’s head is on straight when they’ve recently talked to him, then they’ll likely retain him….if he still seems aloof, then yeah, cut bait!

No one would offer anything for Dion. Not at this point. That would be like trading for Josh Gordon.

Gotta write a new blog
    I get hungry everytime I read this one…lol

Drives me crazy that the league takes so long I reinstating a player

Chip Kelly could play Barney Rubble if they ever decide to make another Flintstones movie

25. Al in MIA says:

And so it begins 😦

26. Al in MIA says:

Armando Salguero (@ArmandoSalguero) | Twitter
    59 secs ago – View on Twitter
    Injury to land Xavien Howard on PUP miamiherald.typepad.com/d…

27. Al in MIA says:

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 5m5 minutes ago

Gase says Howard’s knee will have to be scoped. At worst he will be back for regular season opener

28. Al in MIA says:

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 1m1 minute ago

Gase says he has a lot of faith in his training staff, etc when deciding not to place Arian Foster on preseason PUP list

29. Al in MIA says:

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP now

Gase said he doesn’t know if Laremy Tunsil will be 1st or 2nd team when camp opens. May be up to OL coach and could alternate in practice

30. Al in MIA says:

James Walker (@JamesWalkerNFL) | Twitter
    3 mins ago – View on Twitter
    Dolphins HC Adam Gase said new RB Arian Foster was impressive in the team’s workout and… es.pn/2aba8yY pic.twitter.com/f2RAnqdwf…

Barry Jackson (@flasportsbuzz) | Twitter
    6 mins ago – View on Twitter
    Gase says Arian Foster “runs as smooth” as any RB he has ever seen.

31. Al in MIA says:

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP now11 seconds ago

Gase on hot Dolphins practices: I’ve been disappointed. Baton Rouge is way hotter.

LOL

Time for the Incredible Mr. Lippett to step up and take that CB job

33. Al in MIA says:

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 7m7 minutes ago

“It’s not going to be cupcake [camp]. We’re here to work. We were 6-10 last year,” Dolphins coach Adam Gase said of training camp.
    —–
    Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 6m6 minutes ago

“It’s going to be tough in camp. Not going to be any special treatment. We’re going to work and make it hard,” Gase said of his camp goals.

34. Al in MIA says:

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly now2 minutes ago

Adam Gase said he feels like “there’s something there naturally between those two” regarding Tannehill and Devante Parker’s chemistry.

35. Al in MIA says:

Markey’s nightmares are coming true (CB injuries) lol.
    Perhaps it is time to call Leon Hall 🙂

36. Al in MIA says:

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 2m2 minutes ago

Gase says he hasn’t heard anything from the league on Dion Jordan reinstatement

37. Al in MIA says:

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly now24 seconds ago

“It is what it is. He’s not going to be there. It gives a bunch of guys a chance to step up and make this team,” Adam Gase on CB depth.

38. Al in MIA says:

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 2m2 minutes ago

Bobby McCain will continue to focus on slot cornerback, per Adam Gase.

39. Al in MIA says:

Adam Beasley (@AdamHBeasley) | Twitter
    16 mins ago – View on Twitter
    Gase: “I love our pass rush. That thing is coming.” Said he just needs his corners to hang in there for a while till the cavalry arrives.

40. Al in MIA says:

CAAAAAAAAAAAAN
    YOOOOOOOOOOOOOU
    FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL
    IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MIAMI FUCKING DOLPHINS 2016 MOTHER $#U)(@*%ERS!

Flavor Flav hacked Al’s account

OK, finally booked our flights! Fest is officially a GO!

43. Al in MIA says:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 50m50 minutes ago

Ravens and former No. 1 overall pick Jake Long reached agreement on a 1-year deal, per sources. Long flying to Baltimore tonight to sign.

44. Al in MIA says:

45. Al in MIA says:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 25m25 minutes ago

#Cowboys DE Randy Gregory is headed to a treatment center in the wake of another drug suspension coming, source say (as ESPN reported).
    ———
    Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m8 minutes ago

My understanding of Randy Gregory’s coming suspension is its for 10 games, at least. There is concern on #Cowboys that he may not play again

He’s done, he was a pain in the ass, when he wasn’t suspended, and a pain in the ass while suspended. Jerry never learns.

46. Al in MIA says:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 35m35 minutes ago

It doesn’t appear there will be a deal between the #Jets and QB Ryan Fitzpatrick before the start of camp, I’m told. The standoff continues.

47. Al in MIA says:

LOL @ Al (GO-GO)

I’m not so fast for wanting Geno Smith starting for the jets. Fitz had some really bad numbers throwing downfield. With that offense I think Geno might be better. What I’d really like to see is Fitz sign a big contract, then fizzle, like he has in the past.

Geno sure tore our up our defense a couple of years ago, and the playoffs were on the line for us. He had a perfect 158.3 QBR. I know, you don’t care about stats. lol

You might want to rethink that playoffs on the line comment, for accuracy, but the way he played in that meaningless game was on my mind.

I think Jake will do good in Baltimore, he says he’s healthy now.

51. Al in MIA says:

Mike E,
    The line on Jake surviving a season? Who knows.
    Wonder what Ozzie thinks…. clearly he can’t be relied upon to protect Flacco all season.

52. Al in MIA says:

Steve,
    I don’t care who plays QB for the Jets this year but Brandon Marshall fucking up and costing his team a possible playoff appearance last year was priceless 🙂

In the past I’ve been somewhat of a Bears fan. I’d put them somewhere in the mid-teen range, but when Marshall played for them and since, i’ve gone the other way. Here’s to hoping he never makes the playoffs in his career.

53. Al in MIA says:

Has Jahn been around? :/

He’s probably drunk off his own brew!

I have not seen him lately
      I’m sure he will drop by at some point

Steve

From what I remember, we were 8-7, and a win put us in the playoffs. We got shellacked 37-24, and Geno Smith was 20-25 358 yards, 3 TD’s, 0 INT’s. I’m almost positive we were in a win and you’re in situation.

55. Al in MIA says:

For you Knicks fans….Stoudamire signed a 1 day contract and retired a Knicks today :/

Did he retire or was he placed on IR

Why the Knicks?
      He had 1 good year for the Knicks
      He had good years for the Suns too

He was kinda some guy last season for the Heat

Here you go Mike
    Current AFC Playoff standings
    Division champions:
    NFL playoff picture
    Ravens clinch last wild card spot in AFC

1. New England Patriots (12-3)*
    2. Denver Broncos (11-4)*
    3. Indianapolis Colts (10-5)*
    4. Cincinnati Bengals (10-4-1)

Wild card:

5. Pittsburgh Steelers (10-5)
    6. San Diego Chargers (9-6)
    7. Baltimore Ravens (9-6)
    8. Houston Texans (8-7)
    9. Kansas City Chiefs (8-7)

57. naplesfan2010 says:

hi all
    you’ve probably already discussed this, but have you noticed that Arian is wearing #34. Now whose number was that for the Dolphins?

58. naplesfan2010 says:

Why are we still carrying only 89 players on our roster?
    hmmm I wonder …
    I wonder if our FO knows something we don’t know …

Late night drive by. I am back among the living. I have been on trial. I took a verdict and another nice win. So when does camp start and can we get Stanger some press credentials for it?

Mike:
    We were 8-7 going into that game but I think because we lost the week before we were screwed on the tie breaker and thus were eliminated in week 16.

61. naplesfan2010 says:

so do you think we are holding the roster spot for Dion Jordan?

Important Clip!!!

If you watch one thing
    Watch this important world changing clip
    You will be a different person after you watch it

MARLINS BREAK OUT of their recent funk with a 5-0 win over the Phils. Ichiro gets hit #2997 plus another stolen base for good measure. Better yet, Nationals blow a 2-run lead in the 9th and now lead the Fighting Fish by just 4 games!
    ——————-
    In a few days the Marlins will get back National League batting champ Dee Gordon, who also led the league in stolen bases last season. Slugger Justin Bour should also be back pretty soon to fill a power void at first base. Terms like “Pennant Chase” and “Playoff Fever” have returned to Miami for the first time in a long time!
    ——————
    ICHIRO’S 3,000TH HIT is coming. Be ready!! ICHIRO will be the first player wearing a Marlin’s jersey to record his 3,000th hit.–I do NOT expect to see another Marlin reach 3,000 hits in my lifetime.

naplesfan2010 says:
    July 26, 2016 at 8:41 pm

hi all

Brian in NY says:
    July 26, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Damian Williams
    naplesfan2010 says:
    July 26, 2016 at 8:51 pm

No he’s 26.
    The question was “whose number WAS that for the Dolphins?”. Obviously Ricky wore that off and on for us, but Damien Williams wore that for the past two years as well. My brother bought me a Ricky WIlliams jersey the Christmas before he quit before training camp, and I remember thinking when Damian chose that jesrey I could get some more milage out of it!

Congrats on the big win Ken, I’m glad all of that work and sacrifice away from the blog paid off with a victory!

Work is really interfering with my social activities. It is becoming a problem. That is 3 trials in less than a year. What does my employer think i am a lawyer?

Thanks everyone for the condolences and kind words. Having family and friends come by the house the last few days have really helped the family get through this with their love and support.

Man, do I have to submit a sickeningly sweet Homeaide “story” to be posted? I am tired of looking at goat cheese.

Brian and Ken, yes my wife’s dad passed away Friday. We’re all going to miss him very much but it was time and he will suffer no more.

My wife and B-I-L were with him, he held my wife’s hand, looked into the corner of the room for a couple of minutes and passed away. She believes an angel or angels came for him – possibly his parents and/or brothers and that’s what he was looking at.

Rockphin says:
    July 27, 2016 at 4:18 pm (Edit)

According to Steve it’s – throat cheese

Man I can’t wait for football.

I used to love cheese: I almost have to because I live in Wisconsin, but you guys are ruining it for me.

Bookman says

Jets finally sign Fitzpatrick. If you listen to NY sports talk, you kinda had to think this was coming eventually.

They (Jets) have some nice pieces on offense, Forte, Marshall, Decker, and I expect Jace Amaro to start playing better football too. Their defense is at least as good as ours, so not sure where you think they fall short.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

I didn’t say we’re gonna be any better. I just think their schedule is really tough and Fitz will come back to earth this year. I don’t see them winning 10 games like they did last year.

Boulder

I go against all logic, and say this will finally be the year the Patriots take a step back, while the Dolphins, Bills and Jets fight for the East title. I know it’s so unlikely, but it has to happen eventually

75. Al in MIA says:

Brace yourself….the injury bug is coming 😦

76. Al in MIA says:

Remember when Ron Jaworski had a negative opinion of RT’s prospects? lol

So, now the speculation is that Jordan’s reinstatement is being delayed, so the team won’t have to pay him the roster bonus he would get if he’s on his he roster on Monday? Is that true?

• Al in MIA says:

The Dolphins have no control over the commissioner decision (at least not in theory).
      The only motives I can see is on the player side; playing games to get the Fins to release him if he isn’t going to be on the field.

Boulder,
    Don’t the Jets play the same “really tough” schedule we do? Does that mean we’re gonna suck again this year too? Lol

79. Al in MIA says:

Randy,

I agree that schedule can’t be an excuse for Miami. Many teams have it tough or get lucky facing good teams who have a week to week injury on a star player.

Write it down, if Miami cannot be NE without Tom Brady, it will be very disappointing and an indicator that this team is your typical recent Fins team.

Al,
    I think you may be underestimating the behind the scenes shenanigans that go on in the NFL. The commissioner doesn’t have to adhere to any time frame, but why has it taken this long to reinstate him when, reportedly, Jordan has done everything he’s required to do during his suspension? If he’s reinstated after Monday, the team saves $1.6M(?). I don’t see any benefit to Jordan. Why would he not want to get his roster bonus? Given his situation, he’s probably gonna make more money with the Dolphins than any other team. Do you think another team is gonna sign him and throw much money at him…even SF?

Sure does seem like something isn’t on the level. Why did Jordan wait so long on his reinstatement?

I agree Al. Of course Belichick is still there, but we should beat NE w/o Brady. No excuses is right!

Randy

If not mistaken, Jordan was late asking for his reinstatement. He sent it in just a month ago or so. If it’s anyone’s fault it’s his.

Al,
    Other than losing Chandler, I think NE is stronger this season than they were last season. Their OL was horrible last year, and their defensive backfield was highly exploitable. Not having Brady for 4 games hurts, but I think they can still win 12+ games. I’ve been waiting for them to start declining for 5 years! I’m beginning to think it just isn’t gonna happen until Brady retires. I still have no idea how they won as many games as they did last year. Bellicheat Magic, most likely.

MikeE,
    But, why would it take the commissioner a month to verify that Jordan had completed the requirements of his reinstatement? That should take about a day. He either did what he was supposed to do, or he didn’t. What’s the hold-up?

Randy,
    Yea I don’t think we’ll be much better than the jets this year. It’ll be the pats yet again in AFC east

MikeE,
    I guess I believe Jordan should have asked for reinstatement whenever he felt he was ready to do so. I can’t second guess that decision for him. I think people are assuming he did it for some nefarious reason because they’ve grown to not like him for what he’s done to the team, but I don’t see why he would. I’m not sure why he’d risk losing $1.6M by waiting. What’s the logic in that? Not that he’s acted all that logically up to this point in his career, I guess. Lol

How’s lil’ Boulder doing?

Randy

I’m not really blaming anyone, just saying that Jordan really procrastinated in sending in his application for reinstatement. I’d bet he’s not surprised he hasn’t heard yet. He may not have been clean or in the right frame of mind to apply any earlier. It is what it is, but you can’t blame the NFL or Goodell for this, that’s pretty much my point on this.

89. Al in MIA says:

Mike E,
    I have DeGrom going in my fantasy league today…
    It’s 1-0 after 8 innings…
    Why do i get this feeling that the Mets are going to blow a W opportunity here for Jacob, LOL
    😦

90. Al in MIA says:

What a fucking bum Familia is…
    bases jacked no outs for Colorado

91. Al in MIA says:

There it is …blown save by Familia :/ !_(*#@%)!(*%

Al

This is effing brutal. Familia coming apart at the seams, and the season slipping away . . .

93. Al in MIA says:

LOL, Wild pitch scores the go ahead run for Rockies :/

The Mets choking away the season. Unbelievable . . . .

mike,
    Thanks for asking. He turned 6 months yesterday It was a pretty tough 6 months:-) Things are slowly getting better with sleeping etc… Really looking forward to the NFL season.

JUST GOT HOME from work. Sorry, Mike, that the Mets game had a “Familia” ending. But no way should you or any other Mets fan throw in the towel on the season. There’s still about 60 games left – – PLENTY OF TIME to make the 2nd Wild Card spot. – – Hell, even winning the division is NOT out of the question IMHO. I am NOT SOLD on the Nationals just yet. They have some holes to fill. And they CERTAINLY are no lock to win the division. –So have a beer (or three), enjoy dinner, and the world and the Mets, will look better to you. –I PROMISE!!

Lol, I like that line have a beer or 3 and the mets will look better to you. Here’s to hoping that can still be said at the end of the regular season 😛

The Mets had a magical season last year but this year not a lot has gone right and they’re not a good enough hitting team. You can’t win 1-0, 2-1 or 3-1 all the time.

Yesterday I watched the entire week 17 game against the cheats. Just looking at the O lined up before any play they look like they’re already beat, not their demeanor, but the scheme. Gannon was saying what a handicap it was to not be able to change the play, and some plays have no chance from the start. With that said RT, and Ajayi looked mostly like shit. Parker looked very good, Miller did on several plays, but bad on others. On D Hewitt looked great, frustrating Gronk at times. Suh needs to figure out what a snap count is. The refs still favor the cheats, even in Miami. On one play the back judge comes running up to call a pass incomplete (it was challenged and overturned), Jennings catches it takes 4 steps, then tries to reach for a 1st down when the ball comes out. Vern Lundquist is a cheats lover. The tone in his voice when the Dolphins scored was monotone at best, compared to his enthusiasm when the cheats were on the verge of doing anything. And Gronk, 8 yards from a 1st down that he didn’t make on a 2 yard catch, still going for a first down!

Bottom line the scheme on O and the play calling was high schoolish at best, the D played well. The cheats didn’t seem to have any urgency like the game meant anything.

STEVE; JUST SAW your old question about Ichiro and his frequency of at bats. Currently Ichiro does NOT start in an outfield featuring Yelich (hitting close to .320, Ozuba (hitting .297 with 20 homers) and Giancarlo Stanton. In that scenario, he only pinch hits for the pitcher in a late inning. However, if the DH rule is in play, Ichiro either DH’s or plays the outfield. Miami only has, I believe, one series left against an AL team the rest of the season. So, barring injury, his at bats figure to be limited. THAT SAID, management knows that he draws bigger numbers to the ballpark. And, against St. Louis, the Fish sure need a big crowd to root them on in this big series. So don’t be surprised if Ichiro starts ONE GAME this weekend.
    ————-
    Dee Gordon, after serving his 80 game suspension, will start tonight at second base. And slugger Justin Bour will play 2 games in triple A affiliate New Orleans on Saturday and Sunday. If things go well, Bour will START the key series in Chicago next week. The Marlins are a better team with healthy Gordon and Bour on the playing field.
    ————-
    MIKE E: –HAVE YOU FINISHED YOUR THIRD BEER, YET??

Randy, The commissioner does have a deadline that he has to respond by. 60 days after the official request by the player. In this case that is August 4th.

I was talking to a pats fan in my office today and said to him “Don’t worry about Jimmy. He’ll be a star. With my luck he will have a 153.8 QB rating each of the first four games and Belicheat will bench Brady and never look back, like they did with Drew Bledso and Brady.”

The Jordan delay has nothing to do with his roster bonus. He owes the dolphins more in bonuses he already received because of a clause in his contract and his suspensions than they would owe him. Almost twice what they would owe him so he isn’t getting a dime of that bonus anyway.

Don’t know how you’re sure of this when Profootballtalk.com and the Miami Herald say he is owed the money, if on the roster?

He is owed the money if he’s on the roster, but he already owes the team more than 3M because of his suspension and that money is already in his bank. The team wont be writing him a check for this roster bonus. they will just write it off against the money he owes them. Remember when Ricky owed the team like 8M?

Steve, realistically I don’t think Jimmy will unseat Brady, but that is my luck.

Looks like we may have 5 guys from the 2015 draft starting day 1, counting McCain in the slot.

Who’s not starting? Douglas or Ajayi?
      If Douglas wins a job and Ajayi holds off Foster then it’s six.
      But nothing is guaranteed for Lippett at this point he’s got some work to do.

Ajayi, I don’t think Douglas has much of a shot at this point, but you never know. Good draft last yr. At the time I love the 4 5ths.

It sounds like McCain is going to be the top dog inside as a nickel corner- he’s tailor made for it. His production in college and his combine numbers scream quick-twitch inside guy in the NFL. He could end up being a real sleeper as a 2015 5th rd pick. Look at what he lead in.

What do you do with Bobby against the jets? The slot WR is the 6’3″ Eric Decker. I’d use either Howard or Lippett.

It’s not just about the size of a receiver, it’s about the routes. It happens quick inside. The ball travels less distance faster. You want long outside and quick inside.

A stat I think is retarded is a kickoff 9 yards deep in the endzone that is returned to the 20 counts as 29 yards. A TD caught 9 yards deep into the endzone, from the 20, only counts as 20 yards. After the game you look at the stats from kickoff returns and you see a 29 yard avg and it looks like the returner had a good day, but…

From the mouth of Dolphin hater supreme Heath Evans: I believe the Dolphins have the potential to be in the mix for the AFC East title, especially when you factor in Tom Brady’s four-game suspension. Gase has had a huge impact on his former teams, and I want to see if he can get the best out of an up-and-down Ryan Tannehill.

I think the offenses that RT has been in have really hampered his development. Last night I watched the entire game from week 17 against the cheats, and even though we won, I can’t watch another game, because of how bad/stagnant the offense looked. Maybe pathetic is a better word, but either way it was bad. The individual players didn’t look that bad, it was the plays that had no chance from the start, the lack of adhoc plays, and the overall design. Tonight I watched the 1st game between the jets and cheats from 2015, and Brady and Gronk just on the fly seemed to change plays based on the look the D gave them. Made it look too easy. I expect to see better designed plays this year, and some creativity.

I really don’t think RT was that up and down, it just looked that way based on the way the D made our O look.

And the strange play Calling and lack of RT allowed to audible

Training Camp boys n girl ! 🙂

WILL TODAY BE THE DAY ICHIRO gets his 3000th hit in MLB?? His pinch hit last night put the ageless wonder at 2,998! We won’t know until later today IF Ichiro will start tonight’s game vs. St. Louis. Needless to say, if “51” starts, I’ll be glued to the tube!!

It would have been interesting to see what Ichiro could have done if he went straight into MLB instead of playing in Japan.

Steve

Decker isn’t the slot receiver, he’s on the outside. Smith or Enunwa is usually the slot

Steve

If the Jets have a RB and FB, or they have 2 TE’s, is Decker on the field, or is someone else? Decker plays primarily on the outside, he always has.

Last year, the Jets played Decker in the slot to open things up, but he’s a starter on the outside first and foremost.

Actually, I stand corrected. You’re right Steve. Last year, the Jets played Decker mostly in the slot

Dion Jordan has been reinstated.

120. ukfinfan says:

Conditional re-instatement for pre-season for Jordan. He then needs to meet NFL to convince them he hasn’t been a naughty boy again!

Sounds like the same situation Josh Gordon is in

Its kinda silly

Can’t we just say he did his time and move on

The NFL can be crazy in the way they handle things
      I feel like they run everything through an obstacle course

Eh, it’s like double secret probation. I suppose they deserve it, they got caught twice each, so guys like that deserve a little scrutiny. Hopefully, that threat keeps them on the right path.

Gordon may have been caught more than twice, not sure

Its kinda the problem with the NFL under Goodell IMO
    They function like a gov’t agency licensing something
    everything is such a bureaucracy

They want to act like a private corp
    they want the court to stay out of the CBA and its enforcement
    But they make a mountain out of molehills on everything

They do these crazy Tedd Wells investigation before they decide on discipline
    Then they come up with these crazy programs to reinstate players

its absurd
    just make exercise the powers you have

They open up the scrutiny of others by making everything a 12 step process
    That’s why they found themselves in the Tom Brady mess
    maybe at the end of the day they won – but it got ridiculous

Its just football

Marlins going for it big time! Looks they’re acquiring TWO starting pitchers from the Pads. Deal not confirmed yet, but it looks like P Andrew Cashner and P Colin Rea. Good for them, that’s the way to do it. You have to go for it, especially since they just lost a pitcher to injury

Piggy

In MLB now, which happens to have the strongest player union in all of sports, if you get caught twice for PEDS, you’re out of baseball forever, or almost forever, I think after 5 years you can apply for reinstatement. Think about your own job, before you owned your won place. If you got caught once, you’d probably be fired.

Yeah – but that’s a rule

and no matter how harsh or soft it is – that’s okay IMO

In the NFL they make shit up as they go
      What are the rules?

Well if you get caught
      them….um….there is a suspension I think…which might be 6 games but reduced to 2 games….and if that unpopular to our fans after a video is released we can change that to the season…um…but in some cases you have to reapply…and then there is an application or something…um…and then there is this panel…and then um….

If you want people to follow rules
      you have clear rules and clear penalties

they have made a mess of the way they function

That’s just it, they don’t want clear rules, like what is a catch, they want to be able to interpret as they go, so if the cheats are behind in a game against the Raiders, they can pull this rule out of their ass and…

Here you go UK

128. Phindog says:

Pretty quite training camp… Where is all the updates ?

Our writers are all on strike right now, no updates coming. OK, not on strike, just enjoying summer, and too lazy to write anything. Our apologies. lol

Steve

Never had it. Looks like I never will. 😦

The Jordan reinstatement is like putting on an old suit jacket and finding a gift card to Applebees in it. You might never get use it in he future, it’s nice to have just in case you actually go.

I really hope tunsil beats out thomas at RG. not sure I have the stomach to watch thomas starting on that oline again this year.

What does this mean? they ignored calls from sideline before? WTF.

Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley
    Misi: “We’ve got to trust in the calls & work together as a team. Sometimes in the past, that [was] the reason why we weren’t winning games”

I don’t know what Misi meant, but I definitely thought Suh was free wheeling it in the first 4-6 games. I wondered many times what the hell he was doing.

There were plays where he was just playing the one-on-one matchup, and it looked like he should have been playing a particular gap or taking up blockers. He left gaps open where I assume by where he was playing that it was his responsibility. Then, there were times where it looked like he was getting upfield instead of holding his ground in the running game. I love Suh, but the first 4-6 games his play was…confusing sometimes….not necessarily playing poorly…just made me wonder what he was doing.

Williams is done, he’s hanging on by a thread and he is going on the PUP for TC….really bad for him.

Based on the PUP list it would seem Kenyan Drake is good to go. He ended OTAs with some type of hammy or groin injury.

Based on no posts from Twitterella, I would assume that the media didn’t see today’s practice. No pads yet, so…

free wheeling

Lol. Am I just that old that “free wheeling” isn’t a thing anymore, and I don’t know it?

The decisions people make in life.

Tannehill made that throw look easy and that’s been one he’s struggled with.

144. Phindog says:

Where is Stanger’s latest Fest update.. Anybody added to the list ? Gonna be a great time.. Can’t wait to see you all again.

Go Tanny!

146. Phindog says:

Toba ?

Where is Stanger?

Tannehill sucks. That pass was off target. Good thing Parker can adjust like he does. 😉

I’m so looking forward to Tannehill finally having a great year. I think he can do it, and man, I’m gonna enjoy it!

steveccnv says:
    July 29, 2016 at 4:13 pm (Edit)

Or it could mean Tannehill and/or the whole team looked good and he couldn’t say anything bad about it, and in this case if you can’t say anything bad, don’t say anything at all. 😉

I was looking at tickets for the game against the Steelers. Apparently, they have all gone to resale. I can’t find tickets for less that $200 a piece including surcharges. I’m glad that we are paying for all of these fucking stadium upgrades through ticket prices. I would have preferred to pick a family down there and pay their increase in property taxes if it was publicly funded.

• Brian in NY says:

Those were for upper level seats BTW.

You want the best seats, you have to pay.

• Brian in NY says:

I don’t want the best seats Steve. Those prices are for upper level seats in the corner. My gripe is with the escalating ticket prices depending on the opponent. It’s highway robbery. Ross was lauding himself as a savior for paying for the upgrades himself, but in reality the fans are paying for them through this method of pricing.

Moving forward, it’s infuritating to think that not only are we going to have to think about convenient dates for everyone for the fest , but also inferior opponenets to keep the costs down.

new blog up