How I became a Dolphin’s Fan

By SteveCCNV

I was born in Miami and lived there until I was 20.  After attending my first game at age 4, I became a fan,.  I don’t have any real memories of anything before I started school at age 5, except 2 from my first game.  From these 2 pictures in my head I can still see that old Orange bowl scoreboard off to my left on the other end of the field that read 20-20 (vs Raiders preseason), and the opposing teams bench with Howard Twilley falling down into it, breaking his leg.  The benches were built into the ground like a baseball dugout.

The Shula era kicked off in grand fashion for me, it started with a season preview of the Dolphins at my church in Miami Lakes, they talked about how the savior and member of our church Don Shula was coming to Miami to coach the Dolphins.  My last up close and personal meet and greet with Shula was in the late 70s on the Don Shula show.  My mom worked for Eastern Airlines and somehow got tickets to the show, there were only about 2 other people there with me on stage with Shula, Tony Nathan and the host of the show.  I got to talk to him after the show, it was one of the highlights from my youth.

My family got season tickets (1970), 3 on the 6 yard line upper deck, 2nd to last row on the northwest end, and 2 my dad got from his work around the 35 yard line, also northwest end, and next to the guy that used to wave the Garo sign every time he kicked.  For 7 straight years I never missed a home game, and saw all of the road games on TV.  By 1976 the team had their first losing season under Shula and we decided to give up the tickets, mainly due to my dad’s company not giving him the 2 free tickets.

I stopped going to the games, but didn’t stop watching every game.  In 1981 after graduating high school I got this fantastic job, selling cokes at the OB, well almost.  I never sold any, just used my badge to get in free.  In Sept 1983 I left Miami and moved to Burbank, Ca., about the same time Marino was starting his first game.  I wondered, if I would remain a fan, but Marino’s greatness sealed that fate, and it didn’t hurt that in 1984 the Fins played the Los Angeles Raiders in L.A.

stewart-rollen-color-5

In 1983 still having my pass to get into games, I flew back to Miami and went to a Monday Night game against the Bengals.  Nine of us got in free with the 3 passes.  It was easy back in those days, since you could walk right up to the fence in the open end zone and hand the pass out.  Quite an interesting night, I sat in front of Jimmy Conners and rainbow head (john 3 16), not sure why those 2 were sitting together.  One of my friends had 4 guys try to take him out after he hit their buddy in the chin, creating a cleft chin (blood was pouring out), but he turned around with his fists in the air, back and forth and no one would hit him, 2 of us were standing outside the circle though.  Another friend got kicked out for going on the field.  On the plane ride home the next day I sat in front of Howard Cosell and Sparky Anderson, and behind the secretary from the Bob Newhart show, which was typical in those days flying to L.A.

Around the year 2000 I found a fan site online at the Sun Sentinel, way before Omar’s time there.  Guys like FinFan Rob, Phinmanski, and Myth99 were also on that board.  The format was just open forum, it was actually pretty good, and not much different than what we have today, except no login, so you could use whatever name.  There were about 10 regulars and a few trolls, but the format being as simple as it was, was pretty good.  After the mass exodus a few years ago, here we are today still waiting for our next SB title.

This entry was posted in Fan Origin. Bookmark the permalink.

353 Responses to How I became a Dolphin’s Fan

Did Shula call you a soft little pussy?
    He was pretty intense back then with his 3 a day practices and no nonsense approach.

What did you ask him?

And you sneaking into games with some soda badge

Lee Harvey you are a madman. When you stole that cow, and your friend tried to make it with the cow. I want to party with you cowboy.

Rock, Congrats on the naming rights. I had to give it up SonLife didn’t make sense anymore with a cover over it. So good luck.

I never had to steal a cow!
    Plenty of dairy’s around. I worked at one for 3 years in high school!

As for the rest?

You’ll have to wait for the Memoirs! 😉

Thanks for the story Steve, I enjoyed it! You didn’t mention why you moved to Cali, especially after we drafted Marino. Why would you do that??? lol

<—– Dolphins realist, Potholder aficionado. Mittens are for Quakers.

Cool write up, Steve. Let’s go Phins!!!! 🙂

nice write up steve. I wish I’d seen as many games live like you had growing up.

Thanks for the kind words Mike and Tim.

Awesome job Steve. Thanks for sharing.

Just booked my flights for the fest. Getting pumped.

I’m pumped for the Fest as well, although disappointed a certain potholder aficionado isn’t going . . .

Pot holder?

Check out the header, my computer savvy son just pumped it up with aqua w/orange shadow!

Looks great!

Good stuff Steve
    I also left South Florida around the same age (I think I was 18) and stuck with the team

Must have been a thrill to meet Shula!

I was young the first time I met him, the only thing I remember was seeing the presentation, then everyone lining up to shake his hand and say hey. The second time, on the Don Shula Show, was unbelievable, he sure commands an audience. It was like he was speaking to me the entire show.

Here’s a video of the show, not the one I saw, but in general. I was sitting behind Shula off to the left about 10 feet back, at that time they used to show the few audience members on the live show.

Oh
    Thanks for the write up Steve
    Interesting stuff!

I like when you guys write these types of articles. It reminds me of how young and beautiful I am.

LOL @ Tim – I got it, just wanted to acknowledge the technical aspect

steveccnv says:
    August 17, 2016 at 12:30 pm (Edit)
    Glad to do it, with a little twist of the arm from Herd, thanks!

I prefer to call it bribery!

Herd, Piggy

What do you think of the new header?

Steve — what a great read. Your Phins roots go far deeper than mine, even is OD might call you out for being a lightweight on that. 🙂

And I did love this part:

“and next to the guy that used to wave the Garo sign every time he kicked. ”

I could’ve been a contender. That could have been me on punts if they didn’t cut the god that is Brandon.

Mike, Tim or anyone — you remember the “sign man” at Shea?

I noticed it right away. It looks like it’s glowing! At least on my phone it does.

MIke E — he was Fireman Ed with more class. Our seats were on the third base side like his but he was far closer in and to the field. Would always look to were he was sitting. He got the crowd going. And he had like 14 different ones to pop out. God bless him.

Ken says:

August 17, 2016 at 11:11 am

Just booked my flights for the fest. Getting pumped.

Same here Ken!!

Want to thank Ken for agreeing to be Com Czar this year.

Still wondering how the Hulk uses a smart phone…..but he does.

Sounds like things were getting a bit Feisty in the Saban Bubble today. Not sure if that is good or bad, but pretty clear Bobby McCain was sent the pinciple’s office.
    —————————
    The final day of Camp Gase 1.0 was punctuated by three fights/scuffles as the practice bubble flirted with becoming the world’s largest octagon.

Cornerback Bobby McCain was involved in two of the fracases, first with Jarvis Landry after Landry made a reception against him, then, just minutes later, with receiver Kenny Stills. Not to be outdone, linemen Jermon Bushrod and Deandre Coleman exchanged unpleasantries.

None of the fights amounted to much and were broken up fairly quickly, but for sheer quantity, it made the day noteworthy. After practice, McCain quickly scooted out of the bubble without speaking to reporters and Stills declined to talk, leaving Landry to have the final word.

All part of TC.

Its not just TC its football in general. Its a a sport where you purposely get your blood up and take it to as high on that level as you can and still be in control. Some of the most impressive plays i ever made was because i was pissed off, and not always at the other team. Sometimes my QB would piss me off so bad and i would just try to channel it into execution of the next play. Its not isolated to TC, its there all year in practices, its there during the game, and as Richard Sherman has shown, sometimes its there just after the game too.

Its the essence of a combat like sport, its what you want to see in player, you just want them to try to keep it from spilling over or at least if it does, people go chill out for a few get their head straight and come back better prepared to not let it take them to that level again.

The uniforms would look better if the helmets were a different color. The white helmet against those bright orange jerseys and bright orange pants and bright orange socks… i mean go all out and get a metallic bright orange helmet to top it all off.

August 17, 2016 at 11:54 am

————————————–
    I wasnt overly impressed with him. He wasnt a complete disappointment but he definitely needs to up his play next game. He was decent in run support, but he had a major whiff on a running play where he was sent on a delayed blitz and just watched as the RB ran past him, it was like play 3-4 in the last game.

He also, as Steve pointed out, could have been at least partially responsible for some of the Bobby McCain coverage issues, as he may have been out of position deep and McCain could have been a step or two behind because he thought he was going to have support over the top. I think i remember him playing a shallow zone on at least one of them, but he coould have also just as easly blown his assignment.

Safety play made me think we are still very dependant on Jones being in there. Without him our defense just seems out of whack. I do understand that when a cornerstone of your unit is off the field you can expect some letdown, but we really need to shore up the depth so that we still have some continuity back there with or without specific players.

In the first PS game? It’s not like Jones has never made mistakes. All players get beat. It’s a part of competition.

Good to see Bookman coming to the Fest

Stanger:
    Can you post a list or email me a list of Fest attendees so I can start compiling contact info and see who’s info I have and or need to get. Thanks

In for the Fest as of now. And might be others coming in. Let me know who you don’t have contact for.

The Flying Pig
      markeyh
      Al in MIA (+1)
      Toba (+1)
      Phindog (+2)
      getterdone (+1)
      Bookman

Joe Robbie Stadium (1987-1995)
    Pro Player Park/Stadium (1996-2004)
    Dolphins Stadium (2005); Dolphin Stadium (2006-2008);
    Land Shark Stadium (2009)
    Sun Life Stadium (2010-2016)
    Hard Rock Stadium (2016….?)

If they couldn’t keep it Robbie or add in Shula…..best name yet.

Read the deal is for 15 years.

30. You go to a H.S. football game and you see a 100 yd football field and see the distance of ten yards. Then you go to an NFL game and inside this huge stadium is that same, tiny 100 yd football field and you wonder to yourself how it is so difficult for professional football players to get a first down.

Because of the people in front of them. If the Phins play great defense what will that mean? 3 and outs, sacks, turnovers etc. When other teams do that it’s exclusive to our team and red flags for the offense. 7 plays in PS game one means nadda! Come on we’ve all been through this before.

This is TC and early PS. Who cares? We ripped right down the field the last couple of years with the first team offense. That didn’t translate into the RS. Maybe the opposing defenses were struggling or working on specifics. It’s practice.

If this sort of thing happens the first 3 weeks of the RS than Houston we have a problem.

Stanger, get it right
    Hard Rockphin Stadium (2016 – 2034

Stanger

Sorry bud, had to finish up the financing of the car for my sonny. I totally remember the sign guy, loved to watch him. We have Cow-Bell guy now, he’s the closest thing we have to sign guy. I’m so pumped for the Fest, and I see you’ve delegated help to Ken (Communications Director) I’d be more than happy to help with things if you need me. We’ll be staying in the Hollywood area (Margaritaville Resort), so we can help out. We can also hang out, we never got a chance to go to your place, and if you’re willing, would love to visit.

Rockphin says:

August 17, 2016 at 3:27 pm (Edit)

I don’t know how much pleasure you get out of a drunk angry bald man screaming in your face, but you are a Dolphins fan so that is proof in itself that you are a masochist. 😉

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you only saw yourself: drunk in the rain as we crushed the Texans,

you would understand why Stanger is so pleased to see Rock at the Rock

Could be worse . . .

I would actually like to incorporate more orange back into the uniforms

I count 29 people coming to the Fest above. That is awesome. I am stoked. Now we just got to beat them toe sucking Bills.

With the injuries to their young players at prominent positions, if we don’t, we’re not good enough and it’s time to move on.

At first I thought you were referring to injuries to our Fest line up. “Now subbing for the hungover Flying Pig: Boulder” LOL

I agree – I’d like it if ANY of our uniforms won too

And now subbing for Rockphin: a deaf mute in a wheel chair with no hands

(Because I will SIT quietly the entire game)

You guys are going to think my Avi “blankie” took my place.

D says:
    August 17, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Tim do you do warmup exercises for typing its only PS game 1, or do you just jump in and hope you dont cramp up by the 35th or 36th time you type it?

If we won but had to wear these uniforms, I would go back to losing

Mike E; That new uni featuring Landry reminds me of the Buccaneers’ Orange Popsicle uniforms of the late ’70’s. Both their teams and their unis were horrid!!! – – One of those teams were so bad that when HC John McKay was asked about the players’ execution he replied “I’m in favor of it!” – – CLASSIC JOHN McKay!!

YOUNG STANGER; –Re; Prior names for the stadium.
    1) Joe Robbie –Deceased
    2) Pro Player –Bankrupt
    3) Land Shark –Cancelled after ONE season (Margaritaville Headaches)
    4) Sun Life–Bankrupt
    5) Hard Rock–???????
    ——————————
    Maybe Ross did Shula a favor by NOT naming this jinxed stadium after DON SHULA???

I’d like to submit my “Here’s how I became a Dolphins fan” story for the blog:
    ***
    “Ahem, I was born in Iowa. We have no professionals sports teams. Thank you”

Ken,
    That’s why I added the “Thank you” lol

OD

That may be my favorite sports quote ever (John McKay). That was very clever, and quick witted.

Randy

You could have been a Minnesota Vikings fan . . .

MikeE,
    Actually, I was a KC fan. A Pittsburgh fan. And a Vikings fan for awhile. That’s one of the benefits of being in a state with no home team. I settled in as a dolphin fan around ’83. My senior year.

LOL @ D

Been following TC since the 80’s with Dolphins Digest. The PS means nothing but some offseason fodder for us fans. 🙂

I got the DD when I was a kid, then in the 90s a guy I worked with got it. Being in Tahoe it took until Thursday to come in. Every Thursday we’do get it from his PO Box and read it. A few years later with online info it became old news.

I LOVED Dolphin Digest, but it used to drive me crazy how late it arrived. It should have been delivered before Sunday’s game, but it never was. It was still cool to read about the team, especially before the internet.

I would’ve told them, if it isn’t there by Saturday don’t bother. And we were bitching about getting it on Thursday.

I think I complained a couple of times, they said they would try to get it there quicker, and I think near the end, they actually might have, but I think by that time, the internet started becoming more available, and I didn’t really care much anymore.

For my next article, how I became a mets fan. This weekend the mets play the giants…

Actually I was a real mets fan when I was a kid.

Me too, I knew the team backwards and forward in 1969, every player, every uni #, and every position. I loved baseball, and I still do.

I quickly changed over to the Orioles, since they had spring training in Miami, and all their games were on the radio. Went to sleep every night listening to the game.

I eventually paid for quicker shipping for DD to arrive earlier because it came so late. I don’t remember how much it cost but I remember paying for it so it was more up to date.

What a shitty way of doing business. I thought the DD was something unique to the Fins, but when I signed up for it mid 90s, they sent me the Steelers Digest instead. Even though they’re one of my secondary teams I couldn’t read it, because I only cared about the Fins.

Oh yeah TC ended today. Now the team is on a regular game week practice schedule.

Zeke and Romo are both expected to play against the Dolphins tomorrow

Zeke has a hamstring injury

Foster is 3rd all time in yards from scrimmage, min 75 games, trailing only Jim Brown and Barry Sanders. Sure some guys that didn’t start right away may have had more, or done better for one season, but this is a pretty interesting stat, even though we aren’t getting this version.

Awesome! Culliver should be next and we’ll start to get a little deeper and hopefully more talented moving forward.

Yeah, it’s really important for this kid to start practicing. We’re going to need him and Lippett to keep getting better, so we can put out guys who actually belong on the field.

Agreed, Howard should be able to get in some good work the next couple of weeks. But I was impressed with some of the lesser known corners in the first PS game and how they all matched up pretty well in press/man, albeit the 2s and 3s.

You guys and your meaningless stats.

Which team are you referring to SB?

August 18, 2016 at 8:24 am
    ———————–
    Mike E — it was a must read in the pre-internet days. How else could an out of town fan get the Phins scoop?

My favorite and looked for read each week. When I got my first “real” job, one of the first things I did was pay the extra for the first class postage so I would get it before the day.

I kept it up until Andy Cohen (who I respect a lot) stopped doing it full time, but even then it was no longer the news I needed.

Sent you en e-mail on your AOL account…..is that still the right one to use?

Hard Rock is going to pay $250 million for it’s name on the stadium over the 18-year contract.

I know OD wanted Shula Stadium, but hard for Ross or anyone to turn that money down…..especially when the name is so football cool.

We are so going to dominate the PS. Oh wait a minute…

herd,
    My story is pretty much what I typed. I am amazed at these stories people have. I love reading them. They’re awesome, and I thank everyone for sharing. Hell, my family didn’t even have a TV for long periods of time in my youth. I can tell you about playing football with my brothers or more likely “Cowboys and Indians” as we called it but otherwise I got nothing. Lol
    ***
    I also loved Dolphin Digest and paid the extra…..that ended when my ex-wife wondered why on Earth I would pay that kinda money for a “newspaper” you only got like 20 times a year. You fellas can probably figure out how that conversation went. Lol

One of many great stories about Jake Scott, the Player they just named the stadium after:

Of him telling a nervous Shula, on the bus to Super Bowl VII, “What’s the matter, you thinking about going down as the losingest coach in Super Bowl history?”

“That’s true,” Scott says. “I’m never late to anything. I’m always early. That day I was outside the bus giving tickets to some people. Shula yells out, `You’re going to be late to the biggest game of your career.’ So I said that to him.”

DD was awesome. I ended up paying extra the last few years I received it to be able to get it before the following Monday when the next game was already played. Back in the day when I collected everything Dolphin, I kept every issue. Then when I moved, I purged most of them.

When Don Shula broke Halas’ record in the game against the Eagles, there was a picture of Doug Pederson in the DD, because he was the QB that played most of the game and finished the game. Pederson became a back-up in Green Bay and had a Monday Night Packer radio show in a bar in my hometown. I brought the picture from the DD to be autographed and he obliged, problem was he signed his Packer QB number instead of his Dolphins one…LOL

67. I have the cover of the DD with Shula winning his 300th game framed.

Ken killed the blog

Steve McQueen killed the blog. Oops, that was the blob . . .

August 18, 2016 at 9:53 am

It used to get to NY on Monday or Tuesday AFTER the game. Interestingly, I moved to California for two years to live with my Dad, and it actually got there either Friday or Saturday BEFORE the game. Never understood that. Called to complain when I moved back to NY, and I think at some point it began arriving on Saturday, but shortly after the internet was born and that ended the DD for me.

I thought Shawnee Smith killed the blob by setting off the explosive charge that blew up nitrogen tanks? I must be thinking of 1988 version not the 1958 version

D – Thanks – I just ate . . .

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    August 18, 2016 at 1:41 pm

I have the cover of the DD with Shula winning his 300th game framed.
    They played the Jets the week after that. My buddy and I went to the game, and went in early to watch warm-ups. I was standing in a sea of puke green in my Marino jersey in the endzone seats, amongst about 100 Jets fans. Shula came out of the tunnel, and as he was crossing the goal line I yelled out “Congratulations Don!” as loud as I could. He turned around, located me- the only one in a Dolphins jersey, waved, and continued on. That was a very memorable moment for me.

Gotta say Bri, even when DD came late, I was still pretty damn excited. It was just so nice to get Dolphins info back then.

• Brian in NY says:

Agreed, but it was a little bittersweet reading about last weeks game when one was just played the day before. The preview section to next week’s game at the end was pretty much useless.

Living in Jets land during the era of that walking talking cock of a QB they had, it had to be like getting a porn mag…. your little hideaay secret magazine that you could only enjoy while your alone…… in the bathroom…..waiiiiitt….Mikey you didnt….. early hand training to dolphins digest?

D

Not quite that excited, but watching Marino tear up teams on MNF was pretty close. For some reason, I always held MNF games in very high esteem. It was an honor to be in them back then.

yeah its just another night of football now. Thursday night games have really made the Monday night ones just annoying. Now Its like for fucks sake why do i have to wait until Monday to know i wont the dame FF week…..

Maybe it was a combo of FF and Thursday night games.

D,
    I actually met Marino at an autograph signing in NJ. He was really cool to me. Shook my hand and thanked me for coming. Only time I’ve ever been star struck in my life (not that I’ve met too many stars). I couldn’t find the words, and a girl I was dating at the time said- “He’s a huge fan, he’s been waiting for this almost his whole life”. He put his hand out, and said “Thanks Buddy” to me. Obviously, I still have the football, helmet, and 16×20 photo he signed for me that day

Stop the madness already lol

I once saw Jake Scott, and I walked right by him, I didn’t even know who he was. lol

I was in Kauai once at the far end of the island, when I got home I read an article that, that’s where he lived and went to the same bar every day for happy hour. We saw the bar, if I had only known a week earlier.

Thanks to Thethe you can now find the challenge link at the top of the page here for every blog.
    I won’t be posting this as often. I think we should lock the spreadsheet right after the 3rd preseason game, since that’s when the first cuts happen. Let me know if you think we should do it differently.

I think the Monday night after the 3rd pre season game is cool.

Yes, that’s the dress rehearsal game and by then we probably have 48 on the 53. So it’s only 5 more and the 4th PS game will decide who those 5 are.

Ain’t it nice to learn from the spreadsheet that Home is still around as our guiding spirit.

Put your entries in…..unless you have less heart than him. 🙂

I once saw Harry Carson at a McDonald’s in NJ. He’s about 6-2 and his shoulders were really broad. I couldn’t see the menu in front of me. I thought to myself if that guy ever hit me I’d probably just explode. LOL

I told you guys before, but my dad practically ran into the entire Big Red Machine in Chicago. He was at the bar in the Westin hotel in Chicago, in ’77, after Tom Terrific was traded, so he met Seaver, Rose, Perez, Bench, Concepcion, Lum, Morgan, and a few others I can’t think of. Cool thing was, he hung out and drank with all of these guys the whole night, and had a nice convo with Seaver in particular.

Seaver is a good man. Watched him strike out 19 one game. Always like the big Red Machine too. Even if I shouldn’t have. Liked how that team was built and the guys on it.

I did take care of Ken Daneyko as a patient in my Optical store. A really fun story emerged from that experience, it’s funnier telling the story in person though.

This roster breakdown is based on how we want to play and who’s versatile at multiple positions and on STs. You don’t keep extra players at positions that are thin, makes no sense – the talent isn’t there. Many of the guys competing for the last few spots can be had off the street because many of them already were. You have to go with talent, youth, upside and how we play. It’s not really a numbers game in a positional manner.

I have 52 players here and not sure who should be 53. Though this could change after PS game #3. Maybe another corner with Howard and Culliver not being 100% for a few more weeks.

DE Williams, Wake, Branch, C. McCain, Fede (DT) J. Jones (DT)
    DT Suh, Mitchell, Phillips, C. Jones/Warmsley/Coleman
    OLB Jenkins, Misi (MLB), Hewitt, Hull
    MLB Alonso, Vigil (OLB)
    CB Maxwell, Howard, B. McCain, Lippett, Culliver
    S R. Jones, Abdul-Quddus, Aikens, Thomas

C Pouncey, Steen (OG)
    OT Albert, James, Bushrod (OG)
    OG Tunsil (OT), Thomas (OT), Turner (OT), Douglas/Urbik (C)
    TE Cameron, Sims, Duarte
    WR Landry, Parker, Stills, Carroo, Grant
    QB Tannehill, Moore, Doughty
    RB Ajayi, Foster, Williams, Drake

K Franks
    P Darr
    LS Denny

What do you guys think? I’m not saying this is it because it’s what I think, just going with a hunch and what I said above.

Oh yeah, what’s up with Dion Jordan?

Steve,
    Nice story BTW. Glad you kept the loyalty going once you moved to Cali.

Thanks, and really Danny made it easy. I’d been following Marino since I read a story about him committing to u of Pittsburgh, when I was at my uncle’s house in Pitt. My uncle said this kid had been the talk of the town while in HS, kind of like LeBron was, except not on a national level.

87. Aditi Kinkhabwala ‏@AKinkhabwala · 1h1 hour ago

I’ve heard everything. #Eagles K Caleb Sturgis is out w/ a concussion. He suffered it when a punt hit him in the head. In pregame.

Stanger

My dad said he was so upset he was traded to the Reds, despite the fact the Reds had a great team. He couldn’t understand it.

August 18, 2016 at 7:34 pm (Edit)

The reason I don’t have 6 WRs is because I think we can pick up a 6th equal to what we have off the street. Whalen may make it because he also plays STs and he’s a vet, but I’m not sure a 6th WR will be part of the game plan. He is a 53 possibility though.

What did you take instead
      an extra OL?
      TE?
      RB?

I took 3 QBs and 4 RBs and I still had room for 6 WRs

Yeah a 6th WR is an option but when does a 6th WR play? Only if one or two go down. We’re going to run the ball and throw to RBs and TEs as well. The majority of touches will be between about 8 players.

I was still harping on 53. Like I said maybe another corner early until we settle in. The roster will change like they all do throughout the season.

Witch Hazel seems to be developing better than Whalen Jennings

I look for Gase to go 5 WR’s but possibly keep 4 TE’s. Gase likes to utilize TE’s in his get the ball out quick offence.

We’re not seeing a lot of that though. That’s why I went with 3 TEs. How often do we go to the 4th TE and a 6th WR? Are they worthy of keeping or can we find a player of the same caliber off the street when needed? These guys are going to be inactive most of the time.

I just realized the Raiders drafted Connor Cook (in the 4th) even though Carr is their guy

I kinda wish the Dolphins would have invested in another young qb before 2016

I’m not a guy who believes the qb position is immune to competition

I really hope the continue to he doughty reps in preseason so we can continue to see how good he can be

I don’t think competition at qb should be viewed as such a bad thing

It’s not Tanny bashing (so calm down)
    I’m not a fan of prying ways with Tanny
    It doesn’t seem like a smart move

But if you have another young qb in the roster
    Then you can evaluate which one is more likely to lead to more wins
    We should t be married to Tanny to the extent of elimating any competition

The competition might help him excel

Did you go heavier on defense than offense

I usually try to have 25 offense and 25 defense players
    Then the kickers and Denney

But who is the 4th TE GDP

Maybe a 6th WR is more talented than a 4th TE

I don’t really know
    There Are definately 5 good WRs on the roster then a drop off at that position

So yeah a 4th TE might work instead of a 6h WR

Stanger you are the pirates fan here aren’t you? If so you probably remember Jay Bell. He is a close personal friend of cousin and her husband and I have had chance to meet him several times. I’ve met Don Sutton a couple times, he use to golf in Panama City Florida at same course I would occasionally play at when I was in highschool. I’ve met a few coaches and s lot of players because of senior bowl of course.

On that subject, are you seeing that Jerry Jones is trying to get the Senior Bowl moved to Dallas in his stadium. Seems that would be a conflict of interests to me and I hope he doesn’t convince them to take it out of Mobile. There is so much tradition there it would suck if money destroyed all that.

Duarte is a 5th-6th WR too….so I hope we can also develop a guy like Gray or Hughes….but more likely find one after mandatory roster trims begin…say Erik Swoope from Miami. He was a basketball player is still developing, but the Colts don’t run many 2 TE sets, if at all. He could be a camp casualty.

The left side of Miami’s offensive line was vulnerable to pressure against the Giants, and that’s not a good sign, considering Ryan Tannehill struggles when his pocket isn’t perfect

I am so tired of hearing this bullshit media narrative.

People like Nomar overuse hyperbole. Ryan Tannehill doesn’t need a perfect pocket he just needs more than two-and-a-half seconds to get the ball off.

Every QB struggles when he see his whole blind side breaking down too quickly. That’s what Defenses train for and scheme…lol

Some cool stories about brushes with sports celebrities. Might be a good blog topic someday.

I actually had the opportunity to have a very short conversation with Marino after he tee’d off on a hole in a Celebrity golf tournament he was playing in. Got a couple autographs that day as well. That pretty much made my whole decade…LOL

I used to work at Caesar’so Tahoe, the casino that sponsored the celebrity golf tournament. I worked in room service a couple of years, then was a dealer, so I’ve met lots of those guys, plus other celebrities throughout the year, including everone’so favorite Rosie O’Donnell, who outshines Joe Theismann

Lots of stories of stars, including a talk about OJ during the trial with his former MNF host Bob Trumps. Mike Schmidt, Curly Neal, Joe Namath one of my favorite chats, but none better than George Carlin…Didn’t meet Dan, but did get to see him play golf, followed his group for several holes, man can he hit it.

It’s Sister Hazel not Witch Hazel and Whalen should make it over him.

It’s Sister Mary Elephant

SHUUUUUUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank-you

No more excuses!!!

steveccnv says:

August 19, 2016 at 9:59 am

LOL @ the Rosie O’Donnell reference,

Reminds me of the joke on here a few years back…”I think we’re going to need a bigger boat”

Yeah, there’s been plenty of Rosie bashing here. She’s really funny though, had a table packed and laughing for hours, while Theisman’so boring ass was bitching up a storm at the next table. The Pete Rose story may be the funniest though, I’ve told it here in the past.

Room service was an adventure every weekend, between naked chicks in rooms to Jose Canseco in a suite with a hot blonde that wasn’t his wife, to bachelor parties to celebrities, to a story Home would like about a guy in a towel trying to hold it up and carry a tray.

bookman11 says:
    August 19, 2016 at 7:45 am (Edit)

There was an earthquake in WV the day I met Chad Pennington! Coincidence? I think not. 😊

Bookman

It was “I think we’re going to need a bigger shark”. It was in reference to the hammerhead sharks

I guess playing the Cowboys has its benefits

The game will be live on nfl network tonight

108. twicethethe says:

I saw the comments about Dolphins Digest yesterday. My dad worked at the printing plant (in Miami, or was it Hialeah?) that was contracted to print them. I was very fortunate in that he would bring home a copy from the first print run before any were shipped. And no, he wasn’t the reason some of you got your copies late lol

D says:
    August 18, 2016 at 11:36 pm
    ————————-
    D — you leaving me hanging with that? Give me some thoughts on him, a story or something. I don’t care if he is a meth head (although I doubt), the nicest guy ever or somewhere in btwn.

Herd, was that earthquake the one like 4-5 years ago or so?

Bookman

Mike,

Exactly..LOL!! I knew something didn’t look right when I wrote that……might be because I actually wrote the original line from the movie…..Dumb A$$…LOL

Arian Foster is hitting the field today. Good sign.

Last time he saw live action was……….last year’s Fest.

Rock — don’t forget to take the curse off him. 🙂

113. twicethethe says:

Forgot to mention nice fan post Steve. Also liked the celebrity stories you had (and everyone else’s). I haven’t really met any celebrities so I got nuttin’…

Not sure he is a celebrity any more, but shot bull with Arturo Freeman for a couple hours while we sat a blackjack table. Awesome guy. And he did’t like Jimmy J (who I briefly met) any more than I did…..but then Jimmy might have cut him.

Celebrities I’ve met, all of these at work BTW . . .

Jacqueline Onassis
    CBS Anchor Jim Jensen
    CNN Anchor Garrick Utley
    NJ Devils defenseman Ken Daneyko

Others I’ve met outside of work

Zach Thomas
    Joe Klecko
    Ed Kranepool

That’s all I can think of

Bookman

The shark joke may have been my funniest intentional joke, but doesn’t hold a candle to my unintentional one, unfortunately – lol

Ok, let’s hear your unintentional one where you crapped yourself😉

• bookman11 says:

Yeah,

Your unintentional one was even funnier….

Anytime something like that can be remembered for years you know it was either really good, or really bad, or both..LOL!.

Twice, you win the best DD story, how can anyone top your dad working for the printing company? Home would’ve said he worked for DD and wrote some of the stories, and he personally was responsible for the northeast getting their editions on time.

Twice

Very fortunate indeed. Were there any other perks, maybe tix,?

Rock — don’t forget to take the curse off him. 🙂

OH SHIT!!!! I totally forgot I put a hex on him last year! Where is my voodoo kit? Damn it where is that thing!?

Man I hope I can find it to remove the whammy before he blows his knee tonight!

• bookman11 says:

Ahhhhh…..you have a voodoo kit….so THAT explains how DT3 could put a move on Revis in the open field and blow his knee out. I never did understand how that happened until now.

also responsible for Brady’s knee. I predicted it the game before it happened to one of my pat’s friends and She was like screw you, then the next week she called and said “OMG how did you know?” “I didn’t know, I made it happen” LOL

• bookman11 says:

That is funny

Stanger

To be fair, all I did was shake her hand. Her assistant picked up her glasses, and took care of everything, just a quick introduction, and then she walked away while her assistant did her thing. Just like in the movies, she was wearing those huge sunglasses. I think she didn’t like to be seen.

This was at the 86th and Madison office of Meyrowitz Opticians. She had a file about 3 inches thick there, at least 50-60 pairs of glasses over the years, probably more.

Celebrities I’ve met (in order of meeting them, not importance)

David Crosby (CSN)
    George Lucas
    (I played win lose or draw with them and their wives)
    Edgar Winter
    Dan Marino
    Bruce Willis
    Demi Moore
    Don Shula
    Dwayne Johnson (the REAL Rock)

I met Lucas and Crosby at the house I was living when I was 17. I was a dishwasher at a restaurant and moved out of my folks house and needed somewhere to live and the Chef had an extra room so she let me rent the room from her. Turned out her sister Jan was married to David Crosby!
    That is also where I met Edgar Winter. She knew a TON of people, lived in Plantation and whenever one of the celebrities were in town they would stop buy to see her. (well, not when ever but sometimes.) I met all the local radio DJ’s there too. It was a huge party house.

I hung out with a couple of the guys from the Sopranos in NYC after a fight at the Garden. My friend dated Harold Lederman’s daughter Julie and she got us into a private party. Federico Castelluccio (Furio) and John Ventimiglia (Artie) were the guys. They were pretty cool.

Who did you have a fight with? lol

LOL, boxing match. I don’t remember which fight it was but Jule Lederman was one of the judges that night.

• bookman11 says:

I must really be having a bad day because I actually thought there was a fight like outside of The Garden and Tim and his good time buddies ,The Sopranos guys, were standing around watching.

I met Bruce Willis at the grand opening of Planet Hollywood in Coconut Grove. (I was the Electrical contractor who did the job) and I met Demi Moore at the studio in Miami where she filmed Strip Tease (I did all the electrical work for the studio and was there during the filming)

I met Don Shula because I built some of his restaurants. (I mostly dealt with his wife and son)

I met Marino as a kid when I worked for the pool company the built his pool.

Bruce Willis and Dan Marino were both dick heads

Jordan may be the biggest dick, he gamble at Caesar’s in the high limit room, and no one else was allowed to play at his table. He was the biggest star at the golf tournament, the kids would wait at the elevators at 6:00 AM and wait for him every morning, he regularly, wouldn’t sign autographs.

I guess when you’re that big you can’t go anywhere without being mobbed, but he was a dick to acquaintances and teammates too.

Has anyone met the man that met Andy Griffith😉

August 19, 2016 at 3:02 pm

I’m sure he was just smitten with you Bookman

I let him out of some Library fines

I was living in California, my mom was still living in Miami, and her neighbor was William Judson, Dolphins CB. I met him once, then the next year Fins were playing in SD, so I asked if he could get me some tickets, he had 4 waiting for me, but my friends backed out of going.

So instead of going down on Saturday, my wife and I went Sunday morning, but no tickets were waiting at will call. Turns out he didn’t get the message, and was expecting me at the team hotel, where he was going to introduce me to the team. Most unfortunate thing I’ve ever done😣

Not sure if any of you know him but I met jazz fusion guitarist Alan Holdsworth. We were standing outside of Town Hall before the show and he came flying out on his way back to his hotel because he had issues with the electronics in his guitar. So my friends and I all walked very quickly with him to his hotel and back to the show. He was very cool to all of us.

LOL @ Bookman. I thought the mention of the Lederman’s would explain it. 🙂

Tim, that has to be a very small group of people. Play Guitar AND like Jazz Fusion. The Jazz Fusion part disqualifies about 99.99% of the population….

Steve, your wife’s name is Saturday? That is a very unique name! 😉

Alan Holdsworth is awesome. That is cool you met him

• bookman11 says:

I thought he meant Albert Haynesworth

Yeah to us he was a God and when he walked right past us we were like holy shit that’s him. So we yelled Alan!!! and started walking with him. He appreciated us being fans and was very nice. Shook his hand and got autographs but I couldn’t tell you where it is now. This was mid/late 80s. It’s probably in a box somewhere that I would have to just come across.

134. naplesfan2010 says:

I met that pitcher who threw the back to back no-hitters, Johnny Vandermeer . He gave me a big league baseball bat.

Naples you met Art Vanderlay, oh wait that was George’s fake Architect name…

Watching Kim Bokamper and Jimmy Cefalo having a discussion on the field in Dallas pregame and Cefalo said he remembers against the Bills last year they kept blitzing a corner and RT would point to him but because he couldn’t change the play they kept blowing it up. How fucked up is that?

They were talking about how much more liberal Gase is with his offense and giving his QB more control of the plays and offense overall. I always felt that’s the way it should be. That’s like not picking players that a coach needs and then asking him to win games. Dumb!!!

They just talked about how much the coaches like Damien Williams and that Kenyan Drake who’s not even in Dallas tonight with a hammy could be on the bubble. Someone recently said that and I didn’t agree but they both seem to think that is the case. Yikes!

People speculate too much, that kid has a roster spot pretty much already with his name on it. If anything they might IR him, but cut aint in his future.

Yeah I don’t want to start a rumor they were speaking from the standpoint that they know what it’s like to be a rookie and how TC and the PS works.

August 19, 2016 at 12:02 pm

D says:
    August 18, 2016 at 11:36 pm
    ————————-
    ————————————–
    Jay Bell is a really awesome guy. Great personality but he has a really big heart and a soft spot for helping children. Very down to earth person, you didn’t feel you were in the presence of a celeb.

Thanks D — didn’t expect anything else. Funny how interviews translate into the real person. He always seemed as solid as they come.

steveccnv says:
    August 19, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Has anyone met the man that met Andy Griffith😉
    ————————————
    No but i have been to the town that Mayberry was modeled after. a town in NC where he grew up. Mt. Airy NC.

Rockphin says:
    August 19, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Steve, your wife’s name is Saturday? That is a very unique name! 😉
    —————————–
    LOL just to show you that this group in the region of maturity and witty responses, share a brain, i actually didnt see this reply, before i made the same damn one lol.

bookman11 says:
    August 19, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Marino was nice to me and my daughter…but that WAS in public so maybe he thought he needed to be.
    —————————————
    With some of the things that came forward about his infidelities, it could have been her that you got to see that side of him. (please forgive if your daughter was too young at that point for this to be an appropriate comments) 🙂

naplesfan2010 says:
    August 19, 2016 at 4:06 pm

August 19, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Are you saying he laid the wood on you? LOL
    ———————————————–
    Definately was handling and exchange of wood in that comment… You didnt say it was his wood, was there another people involved. Was it a menage a trois wood handling/exchange event? Did he just reach over and gab someone else wood to give to you? Was Mike there?

142. 81Howie says:

Well the Marlins took their SHIT!
    Guess I can get back into Football now 🙂
    GO PHINS!!!

Howie — been wondering where you were. Great to see you.

Your boys play my boys tonight.

“Since June 24, the Pirates’ 28-17 record is the best in baseball.” Not sure why I bring that up. 🙂

August 19, 2016 at 2:42 pm

——————————————
    Leave it to the new jersian to have a celeb moment and it be people who play gangsters… lol

That’s not my only one. I didn’t just meet them I partied with them. LOL

does that make you a made man now?….forgive me, i dont fully understand ya’lls ways

No I was just saying it wasn’t just a meeting, we actually hung out, joked around, talked about the Sopranos and film and all kinds of other stuff. It was pretty cool.

144. 81Howie says:

Nice stuff Steve. I saw that first paragraph about Twilley.
    That was my Man back then and thats what all the kids on the block called me.
    Notice the new/old avi since my good computer went down.

30-16 Phins

LMAO @ Drake not making the 2016 roster. I also LOL last time I saw that mentioned on here. Drake will get his due time. The team will have patience with him. He’s too much of a big play potential weapon not to!
    They didn’t go defense with the pick for Piggy and spend it on a college star RB/KR/WR just to cut the guy cause he tweaked his hammys.

They were just saying if he thinks he can just show up late in the game and make the team that’s not how it works. I don’t think he’ll be cut either, but they weren’t trying to invent a story either, they were just being candid about where he’s at.

Well, his missing time will definitely keep him out of the starting lineup and out of rotation for now….but he can easily earn that by getting healthy and flashing in practices. I suspect we’ll see him a lot in the final PS game if he can go on the piano string hammys.

Make that violin bow hammys. 🙂

I hope so but this is two hammy issues now. The same with Parker. Some of these young guys have to put more time into hydration and stretching. It’s really that simple but they don’t know it yet. The NFL level kicked it up a notch and it challenged them. These two could be some of the most explosive playmakers we have. The talent is there.

We should see Parker tonight.

147. Phindog says:

Sorry… I stood that from Tim.

Alright Hamilton, it’s game time!

Damn I thought the game was at 7, not an hour of pregame BS.

I walked away, too much gossip filler. Not like back in the day when they actually talked about the game and tactics and did their homework. This group has no idea about any of these teams except for the popular view. No depth of view like back in the day. This just hit me big time. Geez!

New blog up!

second game of the preseason and I’m already looking forward to next year’s fucking draft