The Porcine Oddyssey #102: The Saga of The Mediocre White

During the summer, when we wait for the football season to begin and swim in the ocean

We fear what might be beneath the surface of the ocean…

Sharks scare all of us.

And there is no shark more fearsome than:

THE GREAT WHITE SHARK

GreatWhiteShark2

But not all sharks are so great.

There is at least one who is

well…kind of mediocre…

MediocreShark Whatevs

Meet The Mediocre White

slightly less accomplished than some of the other white sharks

and like you…a fan of the Miami Dolphins

MediocreChairDolphin

On an August afternoon the Mediocre White was hunting seals with a two of his shark buddies

They found the perfect spot and were ready to feast.

The first Great White turned to the other Great White barely noticing the Mediocre White lagging behind both of them.

“What’s your plan?”

The Second Great White responded “I’m gonna go deep, get a big push and leap out of the water with the biggest seal in my jaws”

“Nice!”, the first Great White responded

“You’ll get in National Geographic…I plan something a little more dubious…I’m gonna bite a baby by the back of its’ tail, drag it a little father out to the ocean, wait for its’ mother to swim out to the baby, then eat her.  Then I’ll eat the baby for dessert”

Impressed, the Second Great White turned to the Mediocre White “How about you?”

SharksCheckingoutSeals

“Oh me?”  The Mediocre Shark was barely paying attention

“Um…you know dude…I’m gonna like, put my fin above the water and like circle the seals and then eat one”

“lame” interrupted the First Great White

“What happened to you man? ”  The Second Great White disappointedly said, “You used to be great.  Now you are so…Mediocre…”

The two Great Whites swan away leaving The Mediocre White.

That day The Mediocre White didn’t eat any seals.  Instead he thought to himself

WHAT HAPPENED…

In the 70’s he was Great.

One year, in 1972, he was perfect, never missing a seal or a human he hunted.

Those were the days, The Mediocre White was the envy of all the other sharks.  He ate whatever he liked, he spawned with whatever shark he liked, he even roomed with Steven Spielberg in college.  Some say he was the inspiration for Jaws.

SharkSpielberg

Though he never achieved perfection again.  He had some great moments after the 70’s.

In the early 80’s The Mediocre White continued to be a fearsome hunter in the ocean.  At the same time he enjoyed watching the Dolphins make Super Bowl runs.

Despite a chum strike in ’82, he finished second among all sharks in surfer limbs eaten.  Only a shark named Riggins ate more arms that year.

In ’83, he grew his greatest rookie tooth.  By the tooth’s second year he was setting records for flesh eaten.

The Mediocre White almost enjoyed the new tooth as much as he enjoyed watching Dan Marino throw the ball.

MARIPHU008006_zoom_IMAGE1_222337.jpg

By 1985 The Mediocre Shark was making great memories by eating Bears on prime time.

But as great as the tooth was, the Mediocre White failed to surround his tooth with quality other teeth.

Defensively, everything got through his mouth, and he found himself forced to digest entire scuba divers, tanks and all.

Unbelievably, during the tooth’s entire career, the shark failed to hunt down a 1000 yard swimmer.

Eventually when that special tooth fell out, the Mediocre Shark wondered if he was ever achieve what he did in the 70’s again.

Meanwhile the Dolphins moved from Don Shula to Jimmy Johnson to Dave Wannstedt

The Dolphins had a few great players in that time:  Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas…Ricky Williams lead the league in rushing one year.  And like the Dolphins the Mediocre White enjoyed eating an occasional swimmer.

But it was not what it used to be.  He wasn’t really Great anymore…

Now it seemed these up and coming New England Sharks were eaten all the best humans

By the end of Wannstedts tenure it became obvious…he was just mediocre now…

So he left hunting and went in a different direction.

The Mediocre Shark took up engineering.

He wanted to build something.  Just like he believed Nick Saban wanted to build something with the Dolphins.

In his first building project he built the Daunte Culpepper Bridge:

SharkBridgeFail

Saban would not accept failure and either would Mediocre White.

He really insisted on Building something!

Like Saban,  his next building project made people cry.

staircasefailshark

So Saban would leave the Dolphins and The Mediocre White would leave engineering.

Now he was ready for a new direction.

The Dolphins hired Cam Cameron and The Mediocre White took up work as a Park Ranger.

At a county meeting he attend determine to make a difference

“Broh’s” he pleaded to the County Council,

“We need to stop the deer deaths on the highway”

The Mediocre White raised his fin, “I propose we move the deer crossing signs away from the highway to a place less dangerous for the deer to cross, we should move the signs to the middle of the forrest”.

Deer crossing sign in Idaho.

That year deer deaths on the highway increased by 800%

As the Dolphins moved on from Cam Cameron The Mediocre White also moved on from being a Park Ranger.

The Big Tuna was ready to turn things around for the Dolphins and the Mediocre White was ready to turn things around for himself as well.  He took a job with the City.

Everyone assumed given his prior history of greatness, like the Tuna, he would excel.

They gave him a simple task.  The streets need to be painted to make them safer.

Any shark can do that right?

stopsignshark

Well…maybe not this shark…

He failed at first

rightturnonlyshark

and failed again.

eventually…the Dolphins found themselves in the Ireland era

And the Mediocre White found himself operating a draw bridge

He was a colossal fuck up…like Jeff Ireland

shark drawbridgefail

So the Dolphins found themselves in the Philbin era

and The Mediocre Shark found himself bouncing around from odd job to odd job

he tried parking cars as a valet

valetshark

That didn’t last long

So he got a job as a custodian

but he often found himself late at performing his duties…

African American businessman falling on wet floor in office

He really wasn’t very good at anything anymore…

But we all know what he is:

He is a hunter!

The 2016 football season has not started yet…

The Mediocre White wants to be Great again

Is this the year?

GreatwhoteDolpin jersey

This entry was posted in The Porcine Oddyssey. Bookmark the permalink.

1,087 Responses to The Porcine Oddyssey #102: The Saga of The Mediocre White

D says:
    August 13, 2016 at 11:12 am
    Steve I get that but overall play can’t be ignored. So if we see bad play from first 4 series it can’t be overridden by a couple good ones when the 3rd stringers were in on defense
    ———————————————–
    That’s what I’m telling you D, overall play can’t be ignored, yet you’re telling your opinion of earlier plays, without knowledge of later plays. No player is going to make plays on every snap, you just hope the bad ones don’t cost you, and there aren’t too many of them.

What you’re doing has the same affect as me going back and watching the SB in 1984 and commenting on each play as I see it. Which would be fine, if we didn’t see the game, but we did.

Neither team had their true 1st team out there last night. It was just the first practice game with mix and match groupings and no game plans. You look for some individual play and what the systems look like and that’s about it. It’s over move on.

Our US female Olympic soccer team was stunned by the Swedish team….and we were medal contenders. Hard to complain about the competition though.

I was going play by play not judging anything as whole fame. My comments said…so far not he sucked thus game.

I will say now that the game is over, neither McCain played well and Moore never had a good series. So even watching the rest of the game even if you interpreted my comment as full game comments they would have been accurate

I thought both McCains played well. One had a pick, a breakup that almost was another one and tight coverage a few times. The other had 2 sacks and forced a penalty when he was held on a run that got called back.

You can’t just count the few bad plays they had. Also it may look different when Wake, Suh and Williams are out there. 🙂

Bobby McCain had two coverage’s screw ups that would have gone for TD’s if it hadn’t been a backup QB in there. Chris was was getting manhandled on most plays by the OTs. They both had decent plays but overall games they weren’t very good

Again you’re taking some plays and siding with that perspective. I do not share the same view. I think they were both close to B than D. LOL

Grant had a good game. I liked what I saw from Phillips, Doughty, Fede, Tunsil, Steen, and one of the reserve DTs I can’t remember his name.

Ajayi looked OK, I was pleasantly surprised by Harris, and Pitts in the secondary, and Duarte had a couple of nice plays, one got screwed up by Dysert.

Tim overall I didn’t think Bobby played well in press. He had a lot of plays the receiver got the best of him. He made two really good plays on balls, one where he knocked a pass away and one where he had a really pretty interception. My evaluation of him is based on more that two screw ups but if you think of it as he potentially gave up 14 points but gained us even two turn overs I’m going to call that a bad day.

Chris McCain is probably more splitting hairs but he extended at least one drive with an off sides and overall he had like 3 positive plays. One he fought his block off down the line of scrimmage the RB cut back and he made the tackle. One he threw a sweet spin move and got to QB about the time he got rid of it, and the sack which was not a pressure sack it was a containment tackle behind the LOS. Rest of the plays he was controlled by whatever OT they had in there. Not so much bad as just not impressive. Stats are misleading.

Tim I don’t take a few play I watch them all. I’ve gone back and watched the game now two more times. I just keyed on McCain to see if I missed something and you were right, but it didn’t change my opinion.

No biggie! I like active players who can change games. I think both have a chance to be that.

It’s a first game, I think McCain might be a little small at DE personally, he’s built more like a speedy olb than a de. He might work situationally at DE but i kinda hope they take a look at him for SLB

I’d probably give both McCains a C, but if they had made one of the two passes McCain blew coverage on his would probably been more like a D or lower because he likely would have cost us a game right there

Bobby I think would be better in the slot on this D as well. He is damn good covering slot receivers, love him in that spot last year, I just think on the outside in press isn’t going to be playing to his strength

That wasn’t the point on McCain playing outside. If he’s a better outside CB than Lippett or anyone else besides Maxwell, then that’s where he should play. We can get by with Michael Thomas or someone else covering the little slot WRs that will average 10 yrds a reception.

I didn’t watch the game but I thought the team looked awful.

D, I think C. McCain is a hybrid, not a pure LB or DE. I see him as a STs guy who late in the game can be an effective edge rusher. 15-20 defensive snaps most 3rd/4th qtr.

Why the urgency

I was happy for how the Phins played last nite….yes there were some bad plays, poorly executed assignments, etc.
    But the 1 key….is looks like Gase & staff has everybody playing hard & with emotion…
    ALL OUT Baby!

The key is, it looks like all the offensive rookies may contribute this year, unlike Philbin and his wait 3 yrs to get anyone on the field.

Right….lots of energy on the field with this young team and cats that look like they will develop into good pros!

D says:
    August 13, 2016 at 4:56 pm
    —————————————–
    LOL, at coulda woulda shoulda. If that’s how you evaluate, anytime a WR gets by the last line of defense, whether the ball is thrown or not, he should get credit for a TD.

We’re our rookies and backups looking good against their #1s or #2s? If it was just backups looking okay against backups….meh.

Neither team had full #1s in the game and most first PS games are played by #2s and 3s. Put it this way, our backups dominated the Giants backups so they have a lot of issues with depth if our guys were just meh.

JUST GOT BACK on the board after an evening of watching the Olympics with the wife. We both noted an unusually high number of empty seats during many of the events shown on TV. But we were thrilled that the American team has performed so well. REALLY proud of them!!!
    ———–
    READ many of your comments on the Dolphins game last night. Seemed like many of you were NOT thrilled with the performance of our offensive guards. BOY, there’s a SHOCKER!!! Even if Tunsil starts at one of the guard positions, we are still short TWO quality players in the O-Line. ONE is the other guard position. The other is at the “replacement” position as in the replacement for the inevitable injury victim among the other four starters. Albert, in particular, has not played in all 16 games in ANY of his last 6 seasons!! This franchise can not have the kind of season we all want unless it acquires at least TWO MORE quality starting O-Linemen.

Steve Ross is Satan!

Grant practiced today so his ribs are not an issue.

Grant said on that return he almost broke he should have stayed outside and that’s what I thought during the game. He cut it back to the middle and that allowed him to get caught.

His top highlight in college he did the same thing, but how do you fault a guy for an open field misread, when he can do what he does. He makes so many plays in the open field, he’s not going to get it right every time. This comment is just a generalization, not referring to your comment.

I was just saying that Grant said the same thing I thought but I know the play you’re talking about from college.

Back in the states and football has begun

Tunsil starting in place of thomas
    I hope any OL issues are behind us now

Let’s go Tunsil

Where did you hear that?

Also Thomas isn’t the only problem, Turner is still struggling too even though they’re working him at RT as well.

Your statement doesn’t seem accurate Pig:

Dolphins head coach Adam Gase said he is in no rush to make lineup changes on the offensive line. He emphasized that his starting offense got just seven plays this past Friday.

Walker

Glad Grant is looking to be ok…..also glad to read the Malice Thomas experiment is about finished. Go Tunsil, Bushrod, & Douglas!

Thomas began Sunday’s practice on the first team at left guard, but Tunsil also got some reps with the starters at that position, as well. Many expect Tunsil to be the Week 1 starter due to his lofty draft status and potential, but Miami’s coaching staff is letting the process play out.

Walker

Gase said earlier at his presser they are giving everyone a fresh start and his staff is evaluating everyone for the first time, they don’t care about the past. They will decide who the starters are by opening day. He made no mention of depth chart changes.

Fuck that, Tannehill needs to stand up and voice his opinion.

Aren’t you contradicting yourself with what you just said earlier to Piggy?

Pig said, Tunsil had already replaced Dallas in the starting lineup. I added a paragraph from Walker, it said Gase hasn’t made up his mind, so not my opinion.

Tannehill needs to step up and take over this team. The first thing he needs to do is march over to Gase and say look, enough of this Dallas Thomas project, he’s almost gotten me killed for 3 yrs running. You want me to stay in the pocket, give me a pocket that I can stay in, and it starts with putting Tunsil in at LG, then get Bushrod in at RG.

I don’t think there is any realistic possibility that Tunsil is not the starting LG on opening day

Should have said Tunsil is most likely the opening day LG. Bad use of a double negative above.

I’ve thought that all along. Once he gets enough snaps to work on his game I believe his talent will win out.

Or maybe I should’ve said, so does anyone with a pulse.

A talent like Tunsil is too good not to play. I think Gase wants to make sure that Tunsil doesn’t think the job is just handed to him

The only person that thought Dallas had any chance to start opening day was Omar, and he’s even changed his tune.

Omar makes a good point about Thomas. He plays well for 50 snaps but then has 5 that are horrific and changes the momentum of the game. It is like that. Usually on 3rd down at crucial times in the game we would get destroyed up front and Thomas was one of them multiple times.

Thomas has had 3 or 4 seasons now to show what he is. I think it’s fair to say that his ceiling is not much higher. His true role is as a backup because of his versatility

Ken, agreed on Thomas and even then if he has to play as a backup he has those moments where he’s a real liability. I wish some other guys would step up. Turner isn’t progressing either. Where’s Douglas?

Steve no need to be aggressive towards my opinion on the McCains I saw what I saw you saw what you did. Even the announcers said if the one throw had been better positioned it would have gone for a TD, so my thing us you can’t ignore those failures and just look at the one pick, you don’t look at the two blown coverages you look at all of it and to me it all equalled not good. Lippett in general looked better than McCain. He didn’t look great either but he looked better consistently than McCain did.

That’s where the argument started is I did not at all agree with Omar’s assessment, because Omar did what he always does pick favorites and then try to make a few stats validate their performance.

You are a smart enough guy, just go back and watch the film play by play as I did and tell me what you think then. If our opinions still differ then it is what it is and we agree to disagree.

You should also know by now the 1st PS game is not a good barometer of anything. Not being smug, just being realistic. We’ve been here done that.

I haven’t seen the game, do you have a link? I said others said Bobby played well, including some on here. My comments were based on how you evaluate the play of a CB. You don’t know what his role is on every play, you can’t just say his coverage was poor on a play the ball wasn’t thrown his way, and even if it was you don’t know, if he had help deep. On his int he had great coverage and help deep.

Tim;
    My feeling is he is good versatility as a back up but you pray you never have to use him. I also agree we need to see more of Douglas. Because he has good versatility as well and has more upside than Thomas right now.

My feeling on Thomas^

I knew what you meant. Douglas was suppose to compete as a starting guard either side and backup C. Right now I don’t know where he stands, I haven’t heard about or seen him excel. But either way he’d provide interior depth at 3 positions if he’s up to the task.

Wow, that must’ve been one helluva preseason game. All sorts things got decided. Sorry I missed it. Lol

I wish there was a way to share my dvr re recording of it Steve. I really love being able to dvr games these days it makes it much easier to go back and critique players. Maybe they will have that feature in the future, the sharing recordings I mean.

I’d check YouTube and maybe NFL.com to see if the have a recording.

Btw Dak Prescott who was someone I had mentioned I’d take a shot on as a backup for us maybe 4th to 5th round, had a great preseason game. He is a really smart player and I think he winds up a decent QB in the NFL.

AFTER INITIALLY branding reports of a robbery of medal winning U.S. swimmers as “absolutely not true,” Olympic officials finally conceded that star swimmer Ryan Lochte, winner of 12 Olympic medals in his career and team mates Jack Conger and Jiimmy Feigen, were, indeed, robbed at gunpoint early this morning by thieves posing as police officers. A gun was put to Lochte’s head and the trigger was cocked when he, at first, refused to cooperate with the bogus officers. These three swimmers, along with Michael Phelps, formed the team that won a relay gold medal last night, Phelps’ last gold medal of what has been an amazing career Fortunately, none of the Olympic medals were stolen in the robbery and nobody was injured.
    ———-
    Last week, a Brazilian security officer was fatally shot. Also, two Australian rowing coaches were attacked and robbed. And Portugal’s education minister was held up at knife point Officials still insist that the gun shots that injurfed three reporters covering the games were not gun shots at all, but stones, despite statements to the contrary by a retired American U.S. Air Force captain who was covering these events for a British newspaper.
    ———-
    Marlins’ GM Michael Hill, in a press conference just a few minutes ago, confirmed that slugger Giancarlo Stanton will be out about 6 weeks with a grade-3 groin strain. With Justin Bour also on the shelf, Miami has just one player (Marcel Ozuna) on the roster with more than 7 home runs this season. Looks like lights out for the Fish this season.

OD — people keep telling me how fantastic Brazil is. When ask them more it comes out that if you go out at night you should get a “guide,” which is basically a driver you hire for the night.

Might be a great place, but too many spots still on mu list where you don;t need that.

AGREE with you, YS. This “taxi” used by the 3 American swimming stars supposedly was on an “approved list” by the event organizers. Wonder how manyy more cases of ZIKA will be brought back home when Olympians from several nations return home? The true toll from the Rio games may not be known for several months.

Watching the Pirates play the Dodgers right now. When I turned the game and something just felt right. Took me a second, but then caught me it was the audio and not the score.

Vin Scully is 88 and still doing it the way it should be done.

Whose voice is more baseball than his?

67 years as the Voice of the Dodgers!! What an amazing career he’s had!!

Went to a Dodgers game in the 80s, boring as hell, we couldn’t wait to get out of there to go to a club. I turn the game on the radio and it was unbelievable how interesting it got. Vin is the man.

Let’s see what Lamar Miller can do against SF.

This reminded me of the days when we tried to keep our rugby guys in control best we could (not that our team was at anything like this level).

But hey — the Aussies followed the rules as set out. Guessing Kitty Chiller might have a background dealing with athletes from sports other than rugby…..I’m sure the synchronized swimmers listened though.

Apparently the Rugby coaches thought it funny too.
    —————————–
    “Before these Olympics, Australian Olympics boss Kitty Chiller made a hard and fast rule about no Australians being allowed to drink alcohol in the athletes’ village, nor could they be drunk around athletes who were still competing.

“Yes, I read them the riot act,” Chiller said…

After being eliminated, a good number of Australia’s men’s sevens players went out for drunken night out in Copacabana.

They staggered into the athletes’ village around 9am on Saturday, much to the bemusement of team officials.”

If Osweiler can be a decent QB, the Miller is going to have a MONSTER year. I still lament letting him walk, not like I am holding on to it or anything.

He looked good on his first run, because there was a huge hole, he does that as good as anyone, but wait until they need the tough yard, he gets zero push.

Great article BTW Piggy. I laugh everytime “mediocre white ” is used in a sentence.

Every time I read “mediocre white”…I take it personally. )

• Brian in NY says:

Lol! You are anything but mediocre my friend. You are one of the most generous people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Thanks Brian — but I wasn’t fishing at all, even if feeling at my age that my body is pretty mediocre these days, but that is just the nature of the age beast. 🙂

• Brian in NY says:

I know you weren’t Stanger, but I felt the need to say that.

Thanks Dude — but hope you have it all out of your system now. 🙂

Thanks Brian

Or should I say
    “Whatevs dude”😜

Vin Scully is great Stanger, definitely NOT a mediocre white

Bills OLB IK Enemkpali tore his right ACL in the team’s preseason opener.
    It’s another blow to a Bills defense already dealing with injuries to Shaq Lawson (shoulder surgery), Manny Lawson (pectoral), and Reggie Ragland (torn ACL). Enemkpali had a chance to open the season as Buffalo’s starting outside linebacker across from Jerry Hughes. The Bills will now turn to journeyman special teamer Lorenzo Alexander and perhaps UDFA Eric Striker to fill the void.

Mike Gillislee rushed three times for 25 yards in the Bills’ preseason opener Saturday night.
    Gillislee showed impressive burst and acceleration on a memorable 20-yard scamper. He was the second rusher in the rotation, relieving LeSean McCoy. Gillislee was rested late in the first quarter, giving way to rookie Jonathan Williams. It’s worth noting that Reggie Bush did not play, but Gillislee should open the season with a tight grip on No. 2 back duties in Buffalo.

What is this talk about mediocre white? What’s a mediocre white?

Backhanded stab at RT

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 4h
    4 hours ago

Newark, NJ
    You know why people are so sensitive about folks who call the baby ugly…..because they know the baby is ugly.

Alain Poupart @apoupartFins
    .@MiamiDolphins have signed DE Cedric Reed, former University of Texas player who was on the @buffalobills practice squad in 2015.

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO
    asalguero@miamiherald.com

Midway through the Miami Dolphins practice on Sunday, amid all the mixing and matching of personnel we’ve seen along the offensive line, the team might just have put its strongest foundation on display for a few fleeting plays.

Without fanfare and easily overlooked in the midst of all the other activity of an NFL practice, the Dolphins substituted both their starting guards — slipping in rookie Laremy Tunsil on the left side and veteran Jermon Bushrod on the right side.

And there it was, the makings of what looks like a potentially good line:

Left tackle Branden Albert. Left guard Laremy Tunsil. Center Mike Pouncey. Right guard Jermon Bushrod. Right tackle Ja’Wuan James.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article95663307.html#storylink=cpy

Iteveccnv says:
    August 14, 2016 at 4:20 pm (Edit)

I haven’t seen the game, do you have a link?

I’m signed up for the preseason package on nfl.com if you want to use my sign in to view the video of the game after the fact Send me an email…probably not a good idea to post it on here! All I ask is you write a short article for the blog. 😉

Mike can you give Herd my email addr.

I wonder, if new DE Cedric Reed will be tried at LB. He looks more like an LB.

I posted this last week and no one responded. Let me know if you guys don’t want to do the Challenge this year and I’ll stop posting it.

Just tried and it was in view only mode and to change it said had to be logged in to request access.

But then again again when it comes to tech stuff this should be your mental image of me (looks like me but have’t worn the ear muffs since I moved to Florida)

• BoulderPhinfan says:

Sorry just changed it so you can edit. I have the list of players on the current roster to make it easier to pick the final 53.

I’m in on the game predictions. Thanks for setting this up again. Nothing like reading it down the road…….hoping this year the homers finally get a chance to talk about how they knew it all along.

And keep popping it out…..not everyone reads every post.

Should have my flights booked today for the fest! Hotel already booked!

Awesome — and if it helps any you are a good ways from the Zika zone, but guessing both that you are not looking to have kids and the transmission up your way in Oct would be close to zero anyhow. 🙂

Wyoming,
    To answer your question. You need to predict wins and losses and then predict the whole season offense avg points/game as tie breaker.

I hope that helps.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu
    ‏@ifo14
    Surgery was a success. Thank you everyone who had me in their prayers 🙏🏾 God has a plan for me. I love you all. Next step, attack rehab.

*twiddles thumbs*

August 15, 2016 at 11:34 am

Awesome — and if it helps any you are a good ways from the Zika zone, but guessing both that you are not looking to have kids and the transmission up your way in Oct would be close to zero anyhow.:)
    Stanger,

Yeah chances of either one happening are pretty much zero…LOL..

Gase on whether AJ Hendy is showing it. Maybe a diamond in the rough?

——————————————

“It seems like it. In OTAs it was the same thing. I remember his name just being constantly brought up. Anytime you get your hands on balls, that’s going to get coaches’ attention, guys are going to turn around and be like, ‘Who’s that?’

“His name just keeps coming up. That’s one way to keep trying to find a way to get on this roster.”

Humans lose again

Samurai

What is pulling up short?

per pft
    Rob Gronkowski pulls up short during drill, leaves practice

Good to see we’re suddenly rich in Safeties…lol

Stanger, thanks for the props. I will do it but I need a couple of more PS games for the roster. By the way I hate picking losses. LOL

Anyone notice the change from black to aqua on our blog header? I wanted to change it to aqua and orange, but my son didn’t have time to look at it.

its looks good

but did you consider pink?

I actually did not consider pink. I really want to make it larger and outline it with orange, but not sure if that’s possible.

That would be a simple stroke that I’m sure is available – meaning orange outline.

I did not but now I do. I don’t even pay attention to it, I just start scrolling after I sign in, get told I haven’t and then I’m good after a refresh. LOL

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports Colin Kaepernick is dealing with a “dead arm.”
    Kap missed the 49ers’ preseason opener and is questionable at best for the team’s second exhibition game.

That was porkasm Mike
    I really don’t want pink on a Dolphin site

Stick with the Team Colors IMO

What’s up FUers? First day back at work from vacation. I now need another vacation.

My son was looking for the html code to do that, but we had to leave, we have to get him a car before he goes to school, he just totaled his last car, and he doesn’t live on campus anymore, so he needs a car.

Sorry to hear about the car. Hopefully your son is okay

• Phindog says:

Steal Piggy’s jeep when he’s not looking. That’s a perfect vehicle for a young man the drives in the snow. Oh and a piggy won’t mind.

Same son with the car search or the younger one? I imagine he’s alright based on your temperament. Ah yes, teenagers and young adults. LOL

I crashed a car pretty quickly after getting my license but that was a 74 Chevy Caprice. The only way I was going to total that beast was if I drove it off a cliff and even then I think it would have survived. Damn thing was a tank.

I got into two accidents with my Mom’s Ford Granada at 17 or so – one was my fault racing a Trans Am on a 45 mph road and I lost control and hit a railing, bad idea – the other not my fault when a guy cut in front of me making an illegal left turn from the right lane and I slammed him.

We were dangerous as teens before cell phones and texting. Now it’s really bad out there.

My older son. He just bought a car last year, and he had a minor crash, he hit the back of a pickup truck, and that just destroyed the car. He’s fine, but carless. Maybe careless too. lol

LOL, glad he’s okay. Learning lesson and as a young person you have to escape some obstacles. I actually feel lucky because I had quite a few close calls with bad stuff. We still have to escape some obstacles later in life but we know more stuff to avoid.

or maybe

LOL. No just Punta Cana

Cool — you probably met some guys who will be pitching in the big leagues in a few years.

You do the all inclusive thing?

Yes we did the all inclusive thing – Hard Rock and it was a blast but unfortunately and I was careful but I did the GI problem. Hulk was turning a little more green than he cared to be

Not good. Was it a local cause you think or just a something. And no you don;t have to get into the after details….if you do I will tell you about a long mexican train ride, a stopped up train bathroom, and my buddy who had no socks left after it was over. 🙂

It was definitely something from the hotel. A number of other American guests were complaining about the same thing

My first car was a ’70 Pontiac Catalina, it was my parents car that they didn’t need anymore, it was 11 years old, and it wasn’t in great shape. I was driving it one day and the rear axle broke. It was crazy! The wheel just got bent so bad, it was at about a 45 degree angle. lol

1969 Pontiac LeMans with a huge engine. Zoomed like anything but the body started to shake and hum when you hit 60,

And as the guy who lived at the end of a straightaway near house learned…..didn’t turn too well at high speeds. I did replace his mailbox though.

LOL! I had a 350 CI engine, but that was the small 8 cyl. The 455 was the big block and big HP engine. My tires were shot from the get go, but one time on my way to college, I was tired, it was 7AM, and BTW, this car didn’t have power brakes, you had to stand on them to stop, and a bread truck stopped short in front of me, I hit him in the back (I couldn’t stop). I had no damage, he had the Pontiac wedge grill embossed on the back of the truck, but he didn’t care, he was very cool.

This is not actually my car, but it looked pretty similar, I just had a darker roof, my roof was tan

Bills released WR Leonard Hankerson.
    Hankerson was getting reps with the first-team offense in the spring, and reportedly “looked strong” as a dark horse for No. 3 receiver duties. But once the pads came on in training camp, and particularly the Bills’ preseason opener, “HankTime” was a colossal mess. He caught 1-of-5 targets for seven yards on Saturday, and committed three drops. His career is on life support.

Mike E:
    My brother had a Pontiac Catalina I think it was a 74. That car had a monster engine but it broke down all the time

My Mom’s Granada had a 350 with power steering, Too much speed and not much handling.

Coach Gary Kubiak admitted Ronnie Hillman is facing competition for his 53-man roster spot.
    “Ronnie is in a battle, a helluva battle with Kapri [Bibbs] and [Devontae Booker] right now,” Kubiak said. “There’s no way around that. I’m just being honest with you. Special teams are going to be real important. Ronnie is going to play a lot this week, and he’s going to have to play some special teams, so it’s a very competitive situation right now.” Hillman has never played special teams since coming into the league as a 2012 third-rounder. That’s going to have to change if he wants to stay.
    ___________________
    Keep our eyes on this and other situations when camp cuts come. There will be some decent talent come free from deep units around the league.

We don’t need any RB scraps, we’ve got more than enough talent already on the team.

Right, but will they all stay healthy was my thinking. We’ll also likely need to hope a couple decent LB’s become avaIlable too.

We don’t need any LBs either, at this point. There’s no one out there better than the guys we have that will play. Hull and Hewitt are good enough for this year, at least they have to be.

Ok cool steve, glad you got the team under control now. 😉

Samurai to watch

Hey…where is my jeep?

Mike….you didn’t…did you?

Steel Ryan Tannehill…..already has his arm cocked ready to throw a pass.

Piggy there are two receivers from LSU you should add to the samurai list. Malachi Dupree and Travin Dural. Both tall receivers with a ton of athletic talent. If LSU doesn’t come up with a solid QB it might not translate into stats but they are hella talented

Also Ricky Seals-Jones of Texas A&M if you want to add a really big bodied guy to your list. He’s 6’5 220 is I think and pretty solid receiver.

Vance Joseph on Dion Jordan:
    “He’s most likely going to be a defensive end. Our defensive ends are built much like 3-4 defensive ends, outside linebackers I should say. He’s more in that mold for us.”

I don’t care where he plays as long as he succeeds

6-6 275 isn’t 4-3 LB size. Can any of you name one player who is a 4-3 LB at that size in the NFL? I can’t think of one.

Yeah because no one else is doing it? that kind of thinking is what creates mediocrity. Think outside the box.

He’s more of a 3-4 OLB, but that doesn’t mean he can’t play 4-3 OLB. In general you don’t see 4-3 OLB with that size, because they can’t cover, but we know he can.

Or he’s simply not quick twitch enough to do it. Maybe we can play Warmsley at MLB or Grant at FB/TE. LOL

Just because Jordan covered Gronk a couple of times does not mean he’s an every down LB. He’s going to get beat by quick twitch RBs in the open field often.

He’s got more quickness than any of our current LBs, and all the ones we have now haven’t stopped the quick RBs, so…

I watched the game last night, and other than Grant, the rookies in general, and the depth on D I really didn’t see anything to get excited about. Grant needs to be on the field as much as possible, and on all 3rd downs. I don’t care, if he has things to work on, he does enough to warrant PT.

I think Jordan may be physically capable of playing OLB in a 4-3, but maybe at this stage they just want to stay the course, and see if he can produce, rather than overwhelm him trying to learn a new position with different responsibilities

He’s already played it, and did better than he did at DE, so it’s not like he has to learn a new position. There’s been talk about us changing to a 3-4 next year, but I don’t see that happening as long as Suh is on the team.

When did he play OLB for the Dolphins?

Dropping in coverage a handful of times in not playing 4-3 OLB as a steady diet.

To me Jordan is a hybrid DE/OLB who you can do some different things with – hand in the ground, rush standing up, drop in coverage here and there. But as an every down 4-3 OLB I think he’d get exposed.

Steve, when has Jordan showed more quickness than the LBs we have? Running step for step with a TE a couple of times in a straight line is not quickness, that’s speed and length. Asking Jordan to be a run and cover LB is like asking Carmelo Anthony to cover Stephen Curry. It’s not going to work most of the time.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

Maybe now. I remember a couple of years ago he did a pretty good job on Gronk.

Yeah like two plays. Hewitt did the same thing last game of the season. That doesn’t define anything. There’s more to playing OLB than covering a guy a couple of times.

When have the LBs we have shown any quickness? Why do you think the most important job for an OLB is to cover a little bug, a player found on the cheats and maybe a couple of other teams? Let’s discount DJ from playing OLB, because he can’t do everything perfect. The Mike usually covers the back anyways.

Jenkins and Alonso are much ‘quicker’ than Jordan in space. Every LB position on the field has to cover a RB or a TE and even a WR at times.

81. Tunsil is getting more and more work at LG with the 1’s. Bushrod at RG. I’d be comfortable if we go into the season with this situation but it’s disheartening that your young guys that should be developing aren’t getting better at what they do; Turner and Douglas in particular

It may be disheartening, but I’m happy as hell someone finally realized that those guys aren’t getting the job done and are willing to replace them. I’ll take my chances with Tunsil and Bushrod over Thomas and Turner any day of the week, especially Sunday.

The couple plays everyone was bitching about Dallas and Billy against the Giants weren’t fair to them. What I saw was guys running stunts and not getting picked up, I’d think it was Pouncey’s responsibility, because it’s not easy to disengage the guy you’re currently blocking.

WIth how well Pead is playing I wonder if we keep drake. Williams seems to be playing well also. I think we might go with ajayi,foster,williams and pead for our RB. Drake might get cut.

Tim. Most LBs can’t cover for shit, they just go back and try to get in the passing lanes, so when you see a guy cover someone pretty well you don’t question his cover skills. For that matter most CBs can’t cover for shit, they just try not to give up too many big plays, if that wasn’t the case there would be no cover 2.

So that makes Jordan a good fit at OLB playing in space?

Yes, he can cover fairly well, has make up speed, and he’s a better than average, His cover ability is why many fans wanted to see him switched to LB.

Yeah to go on the PS you have to be cut and clear waivers and then be re-signed. Drake would get plucked immediately.

85. A lot of what we’ve got on the o-line with 2’s and 3’s looks more like camp fodder than they do quality backups.
    You see Young, Ulrick and Urbik getting whipped over and over again.
    Turner and Douglas don’t appear to be putting it together so we’re going to need to go out and acquire at least two guys for some depth on this line.
    There’s only one guy depth-wise who’s doing it consistently and that’s Steen as the 2nd team C. If he continues to do well he’ll be solid there and with Pouncey’s injury history it may come down to needing him to fill in.
    The depth on this o-line probably is the worst it’s been in awhile.

Phins o-line depth: Carter, Douglas, John, Painter, Thomas, Turner, Urbik & Young. Comfort level = 0. Steen only good one.

Steve

Have we actually seen Jordan play at his new weight of 275? He was much lighter when he was covering Gronk.

87. Phindog says:

Yo Toba !!

I filled out the predictions
    Thanks for doing it again Boulder

I think filling out the roster, especially when I got to the LBs and DBs made me less excited about the season

Definitely going to be some transition this season

I doubt Jordan is gonna play LB in a 4-3. You can ask him to drop into coverage from time to time as a DE, but he’s not a 4-3 LB unless he’s dropped a lot of weight. I can see them lining him up at an OLB position in a sub rush package but that’s about it.

90. twicethethe says:

Quick flyby: I updated the side bar with Boulder’s spreadsheet link. Also cleaned up a few things over there. Put recent comments at the top of the side bar (tip: if you click on the orange link in any of the recent comments there, it will take you to that exact comment – easy way to get to the bottom of the comments without having to scroll on a refresh/new page load).

Hope everyone is having a relatively decent summer. Stadium upgrades look sharp. Team maybe not so much, but it’s still early. Job crushing my brain into dust, so not on here much lately (not that I was beforehand – well, ’cause job). Speaking of…it’s back to the salt mines for me. Hope to be on more once the season begins.

I think you’re right Randy, but I think he could play 4-3 LB just fine. The reason he wouldn’t make it is the same reason he hasn’t made it anywhere yet, lack of dedication. The team said they hadn’t had contact with him while he was suspended, but they got word out to him that he’ll be a DE, so that’s why he put on weivht.

Well, there you have it. In the article Mike just posted, it has a link to a DJ article that says they plan on using him at DE, according to VJ.

steve,
    I think he’s just too big and too stiff to play in space on the edge. I agree that most lbers can’t cover very well. Covering TEs would be something he could possibly do, but teams would try to isolate him against RBs, and there’s no way he could stick with them. He’s very athletic, but he doesn’t have that kind of quickness. At this point, I’m just hoping the kid can play on STs. Let’s see if he’s willing to earn a spot on the team.

Twice

Thanks man, appreciate that! Quick question (if you get a chance to read) Is there any way to do an orange outline of the blog name up top (Finsmob Unleashed) ?

My sonny was looking at it, and he thinks there might be a way, but he’s not a veteran in html yet, so he wasn’t sure.

Looks awesome Twice

as usual
    Thanks

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 19m19 minutes ago
    Bills DT Marcel Dareus is facing a four-game suspension for another violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy, league sources tell ESPN.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 4m4 minutes ago
    With Karlos Williams and Marcell Dareus suspended, Bills now will be subject to steep fine based on remittance policy.

Shiot — we were joking about it before……but mainly cause how perfect the name is.

Can just see Suh or Wake saying:

“When you choose to come to the Hard Rock….that’s what you get.”

• manitobafinfan says:

Gives their Signature drink ” Hurricane” even more prominence..
        Well Done Rock !!

Man, it took me forever to negotiate the naming of the stadium. I’m glad I was finally able to get it done. WELCOME TO HARD ROCKPHIN STADIUM!

What? they fucked it up? SMH I’m not paying.

Now that those negotiations are done I’m pushing hard (he he) on the next stage of my master plan. Having them remove all the new seats they just installed.

That way EVERYONE WILL STAND THE FUCK UP!

Did you guys see that WR coach Shawn Jefferson suited up in pads today to teach the WR’s how to block properly? LOL

He’s a bad ass too, just like VJ. You want instant respect from your players, walk in their shoes. Not that he needed it, seems he’s pretty well liked.

he played 13 years in the NFL and has more yards, TD, 1st downs, etc than every WR on our team combined.

I read where SJ was trash talking the WR’s during the drill and likes to give them a ribbing, not using their real names, making up nicknames like “Strawberry Shortcake” for Grant, etc. and when it was Grant’s turn to go at it with SJ, SJ said “OK, that’s enough” because he didn’t want mighty mouse taking it out on his 47 year old ass. LOL

Step three after getting my name on the stadium and removing all the seats so everyone has to STAND THE FUCK UP is getting Homeraide sold at the concession stands.

If there’s one guy we’ll never have to worry about getting up for any game it’s Grant.

Jarvis Landry is the first. Too bad Grant and he play the same position on offense they both have hearts twice the size of their bodies.

I thought about Landry, and even though he’s been up fro every game so far, it’s possible for him to have a low energy game, where if Grant has a low energy game he may get knocked out.

The Miami Dolphins today announced they have waived/injured defensive end Farrington Huguenin.

steveccnv says:
    August 16, 2016 at 10:16 am

——————————————-
    I really only saw one major fuckup from Thomas, but it was really really bad. James also got blown up on that play. Thomas didnt have great position on his guy all night but it wasnt all bad either. Turner just doesn’t look comfortable or something. he looked really bad at RT, and at RG he was having to have Pouncey assist on many plays. That was the one plus i got from Thomas’ game was Pouncey would check his side and then help Turner.

The twists they were running on DL were delayed twists, and those are generally on the QB to get rid of the ball sooner. So if the twists are the big issue, then there is another factor there no one is going to want to talk about, and at this point its probably not worth going down that road. The announcers blamed Albert on one of the first ones, and it wasnt Albert or Thomas’ fault.

Pouncey, could possibly have helped the situation by disengaging off Turner’s guy but OC’s dont disengage unless they 1) read a blitz, 2) OG gets a handle on his guy so the OC can start looking for someone else. Im assuming sine he stuk to Turner’s guy, that Turner wasnt getting a good lock down on him. A lot of plays too the twist guy is the RB’s responsibility to pick up, but in fairness there i did see at least one of the twist plays on Turners side, the guy got penetration as the RB was slipping out for check down. There are probably going to be a bunch of unprotected in the backfield in this offense since the RB plays a big role as a receiver.

That’s why RT’s pocket presence is so important, you see those guys coming, you get rid of it. Moore took an awful sack, when he had a great pocket, something must’ve spooked him, because he went left right into a defender. He looked like RT has on many of his sacks his 2nd year.

Coming soon to a theater near you SteveCCNV how I became a Dolphin’s Fan.

LOL @ Drake may get cut.

Jordan was a little light when he played DE for us previously. I hope the extra weight helps him. We’re only rumored to be keeping 5 DEs, so between DJ, Fede, and Laing they say only one will make it. It’s always funny how these hacks already know how many are going to be kept at each position, when Gase doesn’t even know yet.

GD

Titans traded your boy DGB to the Eagles

WTF? DGB traded already? Hmmm, I think he pissed off Mularkey more than what’s known.
    He had 550 yfs for 17.2 avg & 2 100+ yd games with 4 TD’s as a 6’5 237lb rookie.

Rexy’s team has been imploding every week this offseason…WOW! 😀

NFL suspended Bills NT Marcell Dareus four games for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy.
    Dareus isn’t appealing. In a statement, the Bills said they were “very disappointed,” and that they have “made it clear his behavior is unacceptable.” Dareus has suffered the off-the-field equivalent of bumps and bruises to this point in his career, but this is the first transgression to cost him more than a game. Still only 26, Dareus signed a seven-year, $103.2 million extension last September.

The Miami Herald’s Barry Jackson reports free agent LB Stephen Tulloch is on the “Dolphins’ radar.”
    Ten days ago, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported the Eagles and Tulloch were in “heavy negotiations” about a contract. Clearly, nothing materialized, and according to Jackson, Tulloch wants more than the veteran minimum. That’s very likely what is keeping him unsigned. Tulloch is a 31-year-old two-down thumper.
    _______________________________
    Would be better than signing the washed up Brandon Spikes that we passed on earlier.

Interesting, Tulloch made lots of tackles behind Suh in Detroit. Are we still looking for a 2 down slobber knocker? Are they already cooling on Kiko’s ability to stop the run? Tulloch seems like a strange backup because of his mobility limitations, as he’s probably only gonna fill one role for you.

114. Maybe Phins will get lucky and Chad Kelly will have a video as well. Tannenbaum would be like “wow. what ARE the chances?” lol

I like this