Hulk The Never Ending Story

incredible-hulk

By Dr. Bruce Banner

Someone tell Hulk The Never Ending Story was children’s fantasy literature book first published in 1979. It was then later made into a movie a few years later. Hulk know whoever told him that is wrong. The Never Ending Story came to be in 1999 and it stars the Miami Dolphins. It is not a children’s fantasy story but rather it is a horror story that once again we Dolphin fans watch unfold this past Sunday in Seattle.

We Dolphin fans have seen the same story game after game and year after year. The defense plays lights out except when you need it to make a stop it fails. The offense never gets going and fails to explode like you always think it should. It always seems to be on the verge of a big play but just when you think it is about to happen the big play slips away through your fingertips. When the offense finally does get a drive a gives us the lead, the defense the fails to make the stop. There is the constant stream of 2 yard dink and dunk routes. The talk of committing to a running game then to see that go by the wayside. There is ill timed penalty or the inexplicable time out. There is the steady stream of moral victories without actually winning a game. There is a quarterback that is running for his life. There is the kicker with the crucial miss when you could least afford it. Then there is the obligatory roughing the passer penalty that seems to come up at the worst possible time. We have petulant sulking players not suiting up for games.

We saw all these same things last Sunday in Seattle just as we have seen them time and time again. How many times have we watched a pass slip through the hands of James McKnight, Mike Wallace and now Kenny Stills? Do we remember Dan Carpenter missing too many field goals and being run out of town? Or the drafting of Caleb Sturgis who did no better? Now we have Franks who seems to miss when they matter most. Did the ghost of Joe Philbin appear on the sideline to call that mysterious timeout when the Seahawks were faced with a crucial fourth down and the play clock about to expire? Did Olivier Vernon suddenly channel into Cam Wake who then committed one of the dumbest roughing the passer penalties Hulk ever saw? Is Jay Ajayi the next version of Jonathan Martin minus the lunch tray, not suiting up because he is too busy sulking?

What make Hulk angry is that this year was supposed to be different. This year we got the most sought after coaching candidate. This year he was supposed to turn the offense around. This year we were supposed to see the difference good coaching makes and get rid of the stink of the Wanstedt, Cameron, Sporano and Philbin taint that has fouled our franchise. However, so far Hulk see nothing different and this make Hulk wonder when will this story end?

3959129-sad_hulk_by_kirkup-d4ywqo6

396 Responses to Hulk The Never Ending Story

That Rams game looks like an easy one. Boy do they look bad. Did you see Gabbert pile up the points on them?

Good job Sulk, I mean Hulk

MiamiDolphinsTopNews ‏@MiamiDolphinsTp 5h5 hours ago
    Dolphins To Work Out A.J. Hawk http://gettopical.com/miami-dolphins/36dbff44d514cedf8c307b8b740f35e0?src=twitter … via @pfrumors

Howie,

38-13 Miami

Good stuff Sulkie

LOL Hulk – Take a Zoloft bud, it’s a long season!

I agree Sulk! I am at least glad we had a solid game but the constant mistakes to take away great wins just frustrates.me. We had them!

Howie,

28-20 NE

Until this team shows they can win big games, gotta give them the L.

Son

Neither Cam or your other love Cousins won this week, so . . . .

Howie

MIA 20 – NE 10

That’s how we’ll win but I don’t see us limiting them that much and I have a hard believing we can win a shoot out. Tough call this week b

IS Gronkowski going to play next week? If he is, my prediction has to change.

Someone tell Tannehill it’s a division game please

RGIII on IR
    Call it a career?

Son

So . . . Don’t be so upset w/Tannehill. Sometimes you get your team in position to win, but they don’t

I wonder if Super Mario plays against NE. It’s out of his hands, w/concussion protocol

Piggy

An NFL appointed “independent” doctor has to decide he’s free of any concussion symptoms.

I can’t believe they didn’t put Cam on concussion protocol. He got rocked and many of those hits would have been called for other QBs.

I think the issue they have with Cam is he’s a guy that delivers punishment when he runs, he doesn’t run to escape, he runs like a TE, so it’s tough when he’s in the open field running physically to expect players not to tee off on him to bring him down.

18. Al in MIA says:

I’m not confident in the Fins offense going up against NE but I will say that the defensive line must be excited to face Jimmy Garoppolo after facing a slick skilled QB such as Russell Wilson. Fuck Jimmy. That pussy is going to get chomped on.

herd,
    I had 4 wrong but I picked urlick twice (even though he didn’t make the team). So I was disqualified ;-(

I think the winner is between Rock and Son because they each missed 5. Since Son was the closest to the phins score in 3rd preseason game (tie breaker) I think the winner should be SON.

nice job hulk. YOu captured my feelings pretty well.

I guess I feel better than the rams fans in LA right now. They probably want to send them back to ST Louis.

LOL. I guess this guy is not a dolphins fan

“Miami Marlins outfielder Christian Yelich retweeted Dolphins receiver Kenny Stills’ drop of a deep pass Sunday because he was unhappy with Stills for protesting during the national anthem.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/#storylink=cpy

Mike then you’ll agree with this from Kate Upton to the Fins players who knelt

Kate UptonVerified account
    ‏@KateUpton Kate Upton Retweeted SportsCenter
    This is unacceptable. You should be proud to be an American. Especially on 9/11 when we should support each other.

mike,
    so you think stills drop was karma?

Sure, why not. That and he sucks. lol

• New Age says:

I agree with option #2. Guy thought he was going to have a jump ball, was shocked he was all alone, etc, etc, etc. Maybe he should pay attention to his job instead of imaginary outcomes. Be prepared. Even Omar, who was riding his train all offseason, said he disappeared once real football began.

• Al in MIA says:

lmao.
      I guess it was karma when Arian Foster ripped off a 50 yarder on a swing pass.

25. Al in MIA says:

Kate Upton doesn’t get it but I expect that from her 🙂

I like Ken better than the Hulk. LOL

not sure how you can be a dolphins fan and be happy about stills drop. I don’t care if stills kneels, stands, or goes to the bathroom during the anthem. That’s his choice. But I want him to catch the fucking ball when its right there or go find another job.

For those of you craving orange

29. Al in MIA says:

And to be clear, Christian Yeulich is not from South Florida. He grew up in Los Angeles area in the afluent community of Thousand Oaks (just west of Calabasas where annoying people such as the Kardashians live). So his opinion stems probably from his upbringing and that one of his brothers is a US Marine.

While we are on the subject, he does have connections to football both collegiate and NFL but way up the family tree.

From a random article:

“His uncle, Chris Yelich, was an offensive lineman at UCLA. His great grandfather on his mother’s side was Fred Gehrke, who appeared in seven seasons as an NFL halfback between 1940-’50.

Gehrke was a first-team All-Pro in 1945 as a member of the Los Angeles Rams, but his stats didn’t get him to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.”

Apparently Fred Gehrke also was the one who came up with the Rams helmet design according to various articles I read :/

30. Al in MIA says:

September 13, 2016 at 11:28 am

Did Foster score a TD? If he didn’t kneel, he would have, it’s obvious! lol
    —-
    Lmao…
    Frank didn’t kneel and he got stuffed Mutombo style.
    Ryan Tannehill didn’t kneel and he couldn’t find the endzone with his arm on various trips or do much but throw 5 yard passes to Landry

Tannehill had a tough day against a very solid defense, but if karma boy held on, we could have won. Franks just blew that kick.

31. Al in MIA says:

son of a son of a shula says:
    September 13, 2016 at 11:29 am

Sounds like she understand’s perfectly

lol

32. Al in MIA says:

BoulderPhinfan says:
    September 13, 2016 at 11:34 am

——-
    He did the same thing in NE last year, remember? Stills has a case of the dropsies unfortunately 😦

Boulder

I don’t think so at all. He was pissed that those guys kneeled, and then the big drop pissed him off even more, so he lashed out at Stills. It happens in the heat of the moment.

34. Al in MIA says:

September 13, 2016 at 11:26 am

I think he is a Dolphins fan and a south fla native

As is Kate Upton
    ——–
    Upton went to HS in Melbourne (FL) which isn’t South Florida as you know.
    She’s originally from Michigan and comes from an affluent family (no surprise on her opinions).

LOL @ Karma boy

Lol the youngins are gonna tell us what’s what now. LMFAO

Learn common decency and respect then call thanks

Al

Are you insinuating rich people are conservative?

38. Al in MIA says:

Mike E,
    Karma boy drop is one out of 80 plays. RT definitely left more on the field than Stills.

Awesome job by the Hulk — who is learning to write real good. 🙂

And can’t argue with the theme — it was the same old story, but at least the context was different. Hate to say but was looking for the D to tire out at the end, but man they had a right to be tired, which might mean the real same old story was on our other side of the ball.

• New Age says:

I agree. ToP was very different. To expect a defense that held Seattle to lowest points, etc since the 2012 season to do more is kinda ridiculous. Held them to 12 points. That’s all you can expect from a modern D. More actually.

What I liked most was that was the D Line we expected to see last year……apparently it just got delivered late.

40. Al in MIA says:

September 13, 2016 at 11:54 am

OK, but spoiled doesn’t = conservative or patriotic, does it?
    —–
    Nope. Patriotic and Conservative are independent of each other.

I agree, but Yelich seems like a pretty hard worker, he’s not a spoiled lazy ballplayer. I have no idea if Upton is really spoiled or not, but she independently makes more $$$ than all of us on the blog put together, except Jahn, who’s now a gazillionaire. lol

• Al in MIA says:

He’s very good at his craft. You can’t make it to the majors being lazy (you can be spoiled and still be good at something).
        Besides, Yeulich being stuck on a team such as the Marlins is punishment enough lol.

• New Age says:

Sounds like a cheesy election slogan when put together. I am running as a patriotic conservative! Vote for your rights! Vote Dobo!

I don’t think Tannehill left a lot of plays on the field, there weren’t many to be made. The SEA DEF was all over us just like ours was against their offense. Then when plays were there to be made we had drops. Can’t waste opportunities like that.

• Al in MIA says:

The drop sucked for sure but it happened early in the game.
      I’m just throwing RT a little under the bus for no reason other than to argue with Mike E but anyway a team wins/losses as a team. It was a good effort in Seattle but just fell short unfortunately and now its on to NE. Hopefully the team comes out with the same effort vs NE because that’s enough to win I think against NE minus a few execution problems.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

there were a couple of times in the redzone the receiver was open and tanny missed them. But in general I thought he played well and wasn’t the reason we lost.

New Age

The defense played great, but I need to address a double standard here. Say Tannehill threw 2 TD’s, and we were down 20-17 with 4 minutes left, but he didn’t score on that last possession, everyone would be killing him for not coming through in the 4th QTR. The defense played well all day until crunch time, which obviously wasn’t enough.

43. Al in MIA says:

NE Oline is better than Seattle’s so not sure how the DL will perform against the Pats this week. However, the QB is not as good as Wilson so perhaps there will be more turnovers/sacks 🙂

• BoulderPhinfan says:

He looked pretty good to me against the cards. I think this game will be similar to our other games up there the last few years. The refs will give the pats the win.

I expect a better performance from the offense but I was impressed with the Pats DEF against ARZ. It’s not going to be an easy game but it is one I think we can win.

Cameron also dropped a big gain. He’s been very disappointing. I thought he’d be better than this as a receiver.

I specifically pointed out Stills and Cameron a long time ago. That being said, they have plenty of time to make it right and help this team.

Boulder, that’s the thing with these Jihadists, it’s not just a political or religious thing with them, they get off on torturing and murdering people in hideous ways. They’re fucking sick in the head. I love when they get it right back.

Al in MIA knows what’s up.

Cameron has been horrible

I don’t know what his story is

Mike E,

I agree that would probably happen but a winning team usually scores more than 21 points a game. His tools need to work a whole lot better but so does he. 1-2 TDs a game just isn’t good enough especially from a guy on year 5. It may not be fair but neither is the NFL.

I can’t justify watching Winston in just his 17th game dropping 4 TDs on a team and then expect Tannehill to just do 1-2 TDs. Hopefully, he gets the help he needs but this offense has to start producing something. He’s the leader of it so it does fall on him no matter how fair.

You have to look at the opponent though. SEA has a top defense. You’re not going to have big statistical games against them especially in their building. When you think about it, RT did get the big score late to take a 4 pt lead and then what happened?

• New Age says:

Including run TDs, Tannehill has 93 TDs over 65 games. That’s not even averaging 2 a game. This is something that didn’t just happen in a Seattle game, or against the Pats, or any other excuse. He has to start putting more offense on the board.

Yes but I wouldn’t use the SEA game as an example.

Literally we would have won the game if the stats in the hypothetical he posed happened

Top Samurais

Tannehill, 93 total TDs in 65 games. That’s a pretty good sample size and his average TD per game is less than 1.5. He didn’t play the Pats, Seattle, or Denver for 65 straight game guys. Let’s actually expect him to up his game now in Year 5.

Nobody is denying that but this is coming off a low scoring defensive game we just played. We’ll see how it goes during the season. It’s also not just on him, our offense as a whole hasn’t been very good in a lot of areas. Hopefully that starts to turn around soon. We do have weapons. I still think we have to run the ball better to open some things up.

• New Age says:

I agree completely but he will get the blame because he’s the leader. He has to step up this year and I hope he does.

• New Age says:

Piggy is right though. In the games our defense can hold the other team to low scores, we have a solid chance to win, thus the 7-9 results on average. Sometimes, there are outliers and Tannehill lights it up or the defense is truly awful. On average though, we have not had a real offense during his time(and before). It needs to change if we will ever get in the playoffs.

If the defense gives away 35 points
        Everyone says
        “Defense played bad”

We don’t debate it vs other people that were bad

I agree

He didn’t play bad IMO
      He actually played well

But still not good enough to win
      And he’s not alone on the Dolphins in that regard

But when we say stills and Cameron played played poorly we don’t end up discussing what would people say if they each caught 1-2 TDs

• New Age says:

Yeah, he could definitely use better weapons. Im not really impressed with how any of them played this week.

I thought our special teams was the worst unit on the field and that’s the one coach holdover from philbin era. Too many flags and mistakes from special teams and they basically costs us the game. Although the tipped extra point by jones was sweet. That guy has some hops.

Funny how everyone on our team seems to “play well” and “he wasn’t the reason we lost”, but we still keep losing. You guys need to pull your heads from the sand. These players need to start performing better, or we’re looking at another 6-8 win season.

55. Realist says:

Howie,
    NE 34 MIA 17
    Garoppolo gets rid of it too fast, we don’t have anyone to cover Edelman, and their defense looked really good at AZ.

55.2% completion…..16 of 29 for 186 yards and a QB rating of 74.8
    ***
    Yeah, that playing good. My god.

Context please. What was Wilson’s QB rating?

I don’t think he had a great game or anything. But it wasn’t the kind of game for either side to have great stats. We still need to average in that 24 pt range or we’ll struggle to win enough games. You also can’t leave the opportunities that were there on the field. The Stills drop wasn’t just a 10 yarder for a 1st down or something, it was a 71 yard TD he dropped. That’s a huge miss.

MikeE,
    Who cares? Why does what Wilson did mean anything with respect to how Tannehill played? You know what Wilson did? He drove his team down the field on two gimpy ankles for the winning TD. You know what tannehilldid with 41 seconds left? Absolutely nothing.

And Tannehill had several huge misses that you and nobody else seems to want to acknowledge. How is that any different than Stills’ huge drop? Which, by the way, was very early in the game, and we had plenty of time to come back from it. I can’t believe the rope this kid gets for being completely average and NOT a winner….in his 5th year of ineptitude.

Sorry, I’m gonna piss everybody off and depopulate the blog. Anybody wanna talk about how Asian lives matter? Lol

New Age

I think the weapon s are fine
    albeit I am having second thoughts about my previous evaluation of the TEs
    I just think the weapons need to do their jobs

Stills dropping that pass
    I think and hope that is an anomaly

we will see

Parker needs to get on the filed
    I can’t imagine asking more from Landry

I thought Foster looked good

Simms doe Simms job IMO

I hope to start tseeing players like Drake, Carroo, Grant, Ajayi and Parker contributing
    if they do, what looks like mediocre weapons now turns into a bunch

Randy, I don’t think Tannehill will become “elite” nor do I think he has to. He’s not like Big Ben or Luck who throw the ball all over the place and a lot of TDs. Actually Big Ben wasn’t that either early in his career. Tannehill is not a gunslinger. I still say he’s the type of QB you want to have a solid running game for, then use play-action and the occasional bootlegs which he runs well. He doesn’t need “a great” team around him, he needs balance on offense. I’ve never thought he was a shotgun throw all day guy.

Keep defenses honest so they have to respect your run game, then you can set them up where they don’t know if it’s a run or pass. Then utilize the short and medium passing game, and take some shots down the field. Yes he has to make a few big throws in games, all QBs do or you’re not going to win.

MikeE,
    I never claimed Wilson played well. But, how he played isn’t relevant in a discussion about how our QB performed. You’re pulling the old “white lives matter too” misdirection! Lol

Randy

It was a defensive game, so the context is important. Some games just work that way. It wasn’t a free and easy shootout, both defenses were hitting all day. He didn’t turn it over, and he could have had a TD and a lead if Stills made that catch. Not sure which misses you’re referring too, but I don’t remember them, except for the other long pass to Stills he overthrew at the end.

I think the constant losing for 20 years is starting to get to me! I know it’s not all on Tannehill. Win or lose, you do it as a team. I was just hoping we’d see more out of him this season. It’s only one game. I hope he proves me wrong, but I don’t think he’s the QB that is going to get this team to the playoffs or do much if we do get there. It’s just hard to win in this league with an average, limited QB. Yes, I know you CAN win, but it’s much harder. He’s just too easy to defend, and he makes it harder on everyone else.

Until that front 5 does a better job moving people so we can get 3-5 on more runs, it’s going to continue to look like that. We’re always in 3rd and long because of it.

Look at the way the 49ers kept pounding it last night with Hyde. It made Gabbert look good in an efficient way because he doesn’t have to carry the team and do too much. The Rams couldn’t pressure him much because the run game kept the dogs off. No sacks and that’s something the Rams are good at.

We need to be a team that can get about 125 on the ground and then pass off of that IMO.

Then play good defense and you’ll see more wins.

65. 81Howie says:

AL
    You are correct about Christian Yelich and his family ties to the Rams. I watch the Marlins religiously and have heard the story many times.
    WE SUCK!

Randy

I just saw your epiphany post from the last blog

and it actually is the exact same thing IMO

MikeE,
    It was not a defensive game. It was a sloppy game. Our defense played good….Seattle’s defense did not. In fact, their defensive backfield had one of the worst games I’ve ever seen them play. Our offense didn’t play good. Too many unforced errors that had nothing to do with what Seattle’s defense did. Just because a game is a low scoring game, doesn’t mean it’s a defensive game. It can also be a shitty offensive game, which this was.
    ***
    He also missed Stills in the end zone for a TD. There was another play where he had a receiver wide open deep in the red zone and didn’t even look at him. I can’t remember who. That miss to Stills late was a huge miss. It could have changed the whole complexion of the game. He missed a wide open receiver with time to make an accurate throw. I don’t care what anybody says. He still can’t hit deep throws consistently. Those are the sorts of plays late in games at crunch time we’ve been talking about this team needing to make if they are going to improve, but all anybody wants to do is rip Stills for a drop early in the first quarter. There were a lot more plays left on the field. Several of them by Tannehill.

Seattle’s front 7 is an excellent group and they played really well. Not sure how you can even say that they didn’t. Their secondary is a little overrated to begin with. They make a lot of big plays but they also give them up at times. It was a defensive game from what I saw, I didn’t think it was all that sloppy, just tough.

Piggy,
    I know, right? Lol

I agree. Our OL needs to play better. The difference for me is that I definitely saw improvement out of that unit in this game. No, they weren’t great, but they weren’t bad either. They were inconsistent. I did not see anything new or better from Tannehill. He needs to get better just as much as the OL does. He had plenty of time to make the throws I’ve mentioned and missed them. That’s on him. It was his fault…no one else’s. If the protection is there…and the receiver is open….the throw needs to be there. Hopefully, we’ll see improvement from everyone on offense next week.

The run game has to get better. That is also the one common issue that has existed since Tannehill has been here. When we run well, he plays well. We don’t run well consistently at all. Then add in some good defense and STs and you win games. It’s a really good formula. 🙂

So let me get this straight when we keep Seattle to 12 points it’s because our D played well. When Seattle keeps us to 10 points it had nothing to do with their D but all because Tannehill sucks? SMH.

Not exactly

But Seattle won’t be very good if they score 12 pts a game easier
      I think most of us don’t really care of Seattle offense is good or bad

So was it that Seattle’s front 7 played really well, or our OL played poorly? They’re front 7 is not excellent. Lol They’re good though. I agree their front 7 played okay, but they weren’t playing great as a defense overall. Not to the level of holding us to one TD. A lot of it was self-inflicted. Missed throws, dropped passes, missed blocking assignments. It was not a good performance by our offense. I don’t know how anyone could say that it was.

Both. Our OL struggles against good front 7s – Jets and Bills etc. and they even make average defenses look really good. I still see too many jail breaks into our backfield.

I never said our offense played well by the way. Actually we struggled for the reasons I’ve mentioned quite a few times.

Randy:
    Every QB misses a couple of throws a game. I also don’t recall anyone really being open in the redzone as you say. In fact the announcers kept showing the replays of how no one was open in the redzone. The play in the endzone where you say Tannehill missed Stills was not an exactly an easy throw. There was DB in a trail position. The ball had to be up over the top and dropped in a bucket. Not an easy throw. He did miss Stills on the final possession on a 50 plus yarder. Stills was open but the ball was long.

Ken,
    Every WR drops passes too but yet Stills is vilified and blamed for the loss. What’s your point…that it’s okay for Tannehill to suck but everyone else needs to be perfect? Rhetorical. Lol
    ***
    I need to run. Have a great day everyone.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

Randy,
      What is the alternative we have to tanny. Like it or not he’s the best QB we’ve had here since marino (maybe pennington was better in 08). As parcells said once they don’t grow on tree. We have to figure out a way to win with this guy. I bet belicheat would still win 11 games with tanny as his QB. A good coach and FO can win with tanny.

A WR is expected to catch more passes than a QB misses. Also a WR is expected to catch that ball that Tanny dropped onto Stills every time. It’s not the same and you know it.

The ball Stills dropped should never happen

Its probably the worst one I can remember

The misses by Tannehill are kind of ….meh

not even in the same class IMO

Its not a perfect game by Tannehill
        but Stills played like trash, mostly based on that one drop that should never happen

74. Al in MIA says:

Ken,
    I think Seattle’s O intentionally played conservatively with Miami and didn’t try to push the ball aggressively unless they had to. It reminded me of what the Bills have done in the past and that is, dare Miami’s offense to beat you. I think Carroll expected Miami’s O to implode in their environment and with their kind of D but that didn’t exactly happen.

Same here, when were all these open red zone opportunities? That’s why I’ve been saying there really wasn’t anything there most of the day and I credited Seattle’s defense and accepted it was a defensive game which it was. But I guess it’s much easier to just keep harping on the same one guy.

I did some research last year and came up with stats that shows when Tannehill throws 36 or 37+ times per game and the run/pass ratio is like 65%+ pass to run we’re like 2-14. That number could be different now I don’t have it in front of me. When he throws less than that and the run/pass ratio is more balanced and we run it better, we have a winning record. I wish I could tell Gase that info. LOL

Yeah so it breaks down like this. Since Tannehill has been the QB, we’re 29-35 – 7-9, 8-8, 8-8 and 6-10. In the games with more balance we’re 27-21, and the games heavy pass we’re 2-14. That’s very telling. We’re not built to just throw it all over the place all day, not on the OL or at QB or at TE and WR. Maybe that changes this year if Parker can add a new dimension for most of the season, but we should be striving for more balance which also helps the defense because you can control the TOP more often. It’s not surprising to me that we win more in that scenario.

We need to get a lot more out of the TE position. It’s been pathetic for NFL standards. I don’t have numbers in front of me, but we have to be the worst at TE in the NFL

Yeah it hasn’t been good. I really believe we have to start getting into that area of 30 rush/35 pass and be consistent in that range. Sometimes 35/30 and sometimes it will be 23/37, but the 40 and 50+ PA has to stop. That’s not who Tannehill is or who we are. At least not at this time.

Can any of you daytime peeps tell me who won the contest?

Anyone here think Ajayi comes back strong from last week? I do

He should be running with reckless abandon. Nothing wrong with Gase challenging his mindset. I liked it.

I agree. Make him hungry, and not to take anything for granted.

Ajayi can play, he showed it last year. I don’t care if we’re a 3 headed monster at RB with Foster/Ajayi/Drake and then Williams for STs and depth. Pead is on the outside looking in right now. The run game has to get better. But it starts up front.

Yes it’s highlights but it shows what a guy is capable of doing. He has really quick feet and good balance.

I think Ajayi will be the next to throw down his lunch tray.

But I do like the fact that Gase is challenging him instead of coddling him.

Randy i wouldn’t try defending that one BIG Stills drop. I went back and watched it and it was perfectly catch-able. It wasn’t a wobbler, it was on target, it was somewhat in stride (he had to take a little off the run, but not much) it hit him perfectly in the hands and they guy just missed it. Some of the latter misses, were catch-able but not perfect, you could argue those sorta, but that deep one….all Stills.

Mikey, Hunter Henry, 2 targets, 1 reception 20 yards. Decent for a guy who is playing behind a future hall of famer.

So now that throw to Stills in the end zone was a hard throw? Holy cow. Come on. I bet you even Tannehill would say he should have completed it. What was so hard about it? The one he missed to Stills late in the game was an even bigger miss. I guess he just can’t be expected to make anything but the easy plays. Great….there’s nothing but easy plays in the NFL! Lol

D says:
    September 13, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Uh, I never, ever tried to defend the Stills drop. That wasn’t the point, but I know folks like to change the dialogue when Tanny comes up. Lol

Randy

You know I think PFF is Pfffffffft, but read this just for fun.

The highest graded Dolphins offensive player on Sunday was … Ryan Tannehill. That’s interesting considering he was under pressure on 48.5 percent of his dropbacks — the highest rate for all QBs in Week One through Sunday.

Lots of times you end up running more because you are winning. It’s not always that you ran the ball a lot which led to a win. Teams just run more late when they’re winning. The opposite for throwing, typically. You want to be able to run when you need to run…which means winning the battle at the LOS…which we don’t do often.

MikeE,
    Yep, hence the reason I have said a dozen times that I cannot say our OL had a good game. Teams blitz/rush us for a reason. I told you guys they would. Still, plays were there to be made by this offense….just like last year….and they weren’t. It cost us the game. It needs to get better. I’m tired of the Tanny talk. It’s pointless. I’m just tried of all the excuses. Go make a play to win the damn game once in awhile. I’m a beaten man. It’s lonely in Loserville.

MikeE,
    See, you just won’t let it go! Lol

MikeE,
    The offense as a whole needs to play better, or we’re looking at another shitty year. Hopefully next week will be better.

Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley

N/A 28-20 NE*
    MikeE20-10MIA
    Real 34-17 NE*
    GO PHINS!!!

for randy 🙂

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 11m11 minutes ago
    While Tannehill wasn’t good on Sunday – still needs to work on his third down and red zone throws – anyone blaming loss on him is delusional

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero
    Miami Dolphins signing LB Donald Butler:

Again, ill say that wasnt OL, not completely. You cant block everyone when they are sending to LB’s, at least, on every play. That said i did see a few breakdowns on Bushrod, especially between he and James. Wagner easily one of the best LB’s to play in the NFL over past decade or so. Keuchkley might be one of the more pure MLB’s, but Wagoner is aggressive and smart and extremely athletic. Maybe next year we can land a guy who will bring that level play to our unit, though Alonzo wasnt horrible this last game, he was nothing near that level. We also werent nearly as agressive on defense as they were. I expected a lot more blitzes. We do have a nice front 4 but come on give them a change to make some plays, send those LB’ers on some A gaps.

I never claimed this loss was on Tanny. Wait…was that an Omar post? Lol

If tanny can do this I don’t understand why the coaches never have him do a QB sneak like brady does all the time and gets a 1st down. I don’t think brady can hurdle over a table like this.

I never said Butler was old. Just said I hope he has something left.

Boulder:

I saw your first post FINALLY! I don’t think picking the same person twice would disqualify you but it would make you missing on 5 instead of 4 which would put you tied with Son and Rock. Since Son got the tiebreaker, he wins. Is everyone in agreement with this? I’m not going to get in touch with Jahndoh to make arrangements until we have consensus. Or should that be sonsensus? lol

Festers if I win you get to have some of Jahn’s brew just sayin

Alrighty then, we have a winner! CONGRATS TO SON!!!! Son, I’ll be in touch via email after I get in touch with Jahn. He initially mentioned that the winner could pick the type, I was thinking more a sampler. It’s up to you. I’ll find out what the choices are and let you know.

Randy says:
    September 13, 2016 at 4:56 pm (Edit)

*******
    Randy that throw on the end zone has a very small window.
    And it’s better overthrown than underthrown
    I think that’s a throw was just out of reach
    It was almost perfect
    And that makes a throw like that a miss
    I’m pretty sure the top qbs in this league might make a better throw
    But I don’t think a lot of NFL qbs hit that throw – I think it’s an overthrow most of the time

The throw late in the game went unnoticed
    But it wasn’t good
    I think it as worse than that throw

I think you are spending too much time dwelling on tannehills performance
    And obviously I don’t defend him much

But I think we need to wait and see how he performs throughout Sept before we jump all over him

Fins – 30

MikeE20-10MIA
    Real 34-17 NE*
    Cav 30-27 MIA
    GO PHINS!!!

103. 81Howie says:

I see Spiller is already out in NOLA
    Oh wait it was the other CJ we wanted.
    well we can pick him up anyway if Ajayi
    contiues his crying game
    GO PHINS!!!

Son definitely won the contest- hands down.

Ken,
    Really good article, primarily because I agree with most of what you are saying. The one thing I disagree on is the Franks miss. You can’t really put that on him; IMO, it was because of a missed block by Tunsil. If he takes the inside rusher, than Franks almost certainly makes that kick.

Guess what tomorrow is! Go ahead, guess!!

Oh yeah baby, it’s the seasons first ASK MIKE

Send in your questions – – – – – NJ1Dolfan@yahoo.com

Cupcakes?

Wah Ken

I guess some expect us to go from 0-50 in under 1 second.

111. Al in MIA says:

Howie,
    Put me down for
    NE 24, MIA 17

I don’t know what is worse.
    Watching the Patriots on TV or knowing that I’m eskimo brothers with Brady :/

Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley
    Belichick on Dolphins: “I think they did a great job out in Seattle. …. I thought they played very well against a good team.”

113. Al in MIA says:

I always feel like this guy as a Fins fan when I see them do what they did in Seattle (and what they did against GB in Miami at our Finsfest)

114. Al in MIA says:

This is how I see Belicheat/Brady react when they play Miami

I hate them so much

Congrats Son!!!

116. Al in MIA says:

“Rex Ryan has lap band removed in solidarity with brother Rob Ryan”

Gase thinks 4 quarters is for Quakers. He’s used to coaching for 6.

So who are we cutting to make room for Jones now that we also signed Butler?

120. Al in MIA says:

121. Al in MIA says:

So apparently Brady was watching Redzone channel all day this past Sunday….

Ben Volin Verified account ‏@BenVolin Sep 12

Brady to Jim Gray: “I watched that one channel, that Red Zone channel, that captures everything. Pretty amazing.”

——
    I wonder what he thought when he saw this LOL

122. Al in MIA says:

September 14, 2016 at 11:04 am

Barry Jackson ‏@flasportsbuzz 32s32 seconds ago
    Dolphins waive Doughty to make room for DT Chris Jones

——-
    PS time

123. Al in MIA says:

Boulder,
    On that Ryan pick….WHAT THE F IS ROB CARRYING IN THERE! lol….seriously, that thing looks like he’s hiding an entire fridge in there.

I wouldn’t be shocked if we sign Doughty to the PS

125. Al in MIA says:

Ken, there’s also a good chance none of the young QBs the Jets kept are any good either.

That thought brings a smile to my face. Of the 3 young guys I think Petty can be good but he needs to develop. I think Smith will soon be selling cars and Hackenberg will kick around the league for a little while because of arm talent but ultimately he will not pan out.

I miss Ben Volin

Seems like Vegas likes us more next weekend than I do. Depends on where you look, but the Pats are favored by five at home against us.

We were ten point dogs to the Seahawks. And I get Brady won’t be lining up, but am surprised it wasn’t more like 7-8.

From Volin’s article:

“According to Pro Football Focus, Tannehill was under pressure on 48.5 percent of his dropbacks against Seattle, the highest rate in the league last week.”

Don’t buy into PFF player evaluations at times, but they are good on stuff like pressure or not. How’s Pouncey doing?

Tannehill was getting killed back there and it was not just him holding the ball too long no matter what Randy says. The the thing I like best about Tannehill is his toughness. He has taken a beating over the years but he keeps playing.

Doughty may end up on our PS, but why am I thinking the evil genius might give him a roster spot, a plane ticket and a one-week paycheck?

Tannehill did hold the ball too long on some of those plays and I saw at least 1 sack he should have avoided out of the 5. I wasn’t able to watch the entire game, but I know at least 1 sack was on him.

Holy shit. I just had the left side of my mouth done at the dentist (deep scale cleaning), and the younger dentist (Veteran dentist’s son) shot me up in my gums, palate, maxillary muscle, and it’s much more annoying than last week when the dad did it.

One can dream

Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley
    Reshad Jones on getting a win in Gillette: “It would be huge. … It would carry over the rest of the season.”

Tomorrow is ASK MIKE

Send in your questions, comments, complaints, sob stories, whatever . . .

NJ1Dolfan@yahoo.com

Mike,
    I sent in a sob story.

sb7mvp says:
    September 14, 2016 at 12:02 pm (Edit)

______________________________________
    There was definitely one sack I noted where he did hold the ball too long. But I thought the majority of the hits he took were as a result of quick pressure vs. holding the ball too long.

Mike E:
    I had deep scaling done a couple of years back. It sucks. Plain and simple but my teeth and gums are much better now than they were so it’s worth it.

Tannehill standing tall in the pocket is not a negative, he’s fearless back there and if anyone should be skittish it’s him. But let’s not pretend he doesn’t get pressured almost immediately after the snap way too often. It’s still happening way too much.

That’s why we have to start running the ball better and back them off. It’s not about them having to respect a deep ball over the top, we don’t have the time to make that play nearly enough. Gotta make them respect the running game first, then set up play-action.

What was perplexing was late in the game in the go ahead drive in the 4th quarter the pass blocking was much better. Why can’t they block like that more often?

Seattle’s defense was probably tired too. Week one is the first time the starters and significant role players play a lot of snaps. So now teams will start to get into RS mode.

I said this yesterday: “I also get that our OL is still not set yet. Lots of changes from last year and Pouncey is out again. Guys playing new positions and previous starters are now backups. They’re still a work in progress and I hope after a few games they start gelling and building chemistry. I think we have the talent, we need to find the right mix and some consistency.”

Steen a young player and a first time center, but he earned it in TC and the PS to backup Pouncey.

Tunsil is a rookie playing LG for the first time, has always been a LT.

Bushrod playing RG for the first time, has always been a LT.

James, I’m guilty of treating him like a top guy when he’s still developing too, he hasn’t played all that much in the NFL now in his 3rd year. Missed most of last year with the toe injury. I think he missed the last two games his rookie season as well.

Albert is our best OL and rarely plays poorly. I’ve seen him shutdown the blindside enough times to know he’s good.

I thought there were no more excuses this year and here goes Tim with a bevy of them. Lol.

I know we fans are tired of the same issues in a lot of areas and that this team hasn’t won in a long time. But you can’t just look at paper and say, no excuses, look at the names and draft status of the OL. That means nothing until they play like it. Also we’re not the only team with OL issues, half the league has issues on the OL. Maybe more.

Let’s hope as the season goes on we start to gel as a better team overall and put a string of wins together. I do think it’s possible. I just don’t now how long it will take.

Ken

That’s what everyone keeps telling me about the deep scaling, but I think the dentist today went a little happy with his syringe. Last week his dad gave me a couple of shots in the gums, upper and lower. Today, his son shot my gums, the maxillary muscle, my palate, and one deep into the lower gum, all the way in the back, I thought the needle was going to come through my cheek. lol

Not my butt cheek, but it was a possibility. 🙂

This little Piggy just booked a flight for the Fest!

Thanks for the questions guys!

If anyone has a last minute submission, I’ll take it!

ASK MIKE – NJ1Dolfan@yahoo.com

he’s using last years game for motivation?

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero
    Bill Belichick, who stresses his team always look to next game, spent part of presser today talking about ’15 loss to Miami.

This would be a huge win for the Phins. I don’t care how the game goes down, a win is the most important thing. I don’t want to go with another moral victory in a division game.

this is good news. we need him this weekend.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 24m24 minutes ago Davie, FL
    DeVante Parker is practicing and looks like he’ll play on Sunday vs Patriots if he doesn’t suffer a setback.

Even though it’s not a big body of work with Parker, I think he’s a difference maker. He has so many mismatch options. He puts more pressure on a defense to defend.

Tanny had only a coupel real, holding on it too long moments, and he wasnt the reason he was getting hit. OL really wasnt either.

I know people are looking for blame, but empty backfield, double gap blitz, you cant stop all of them. They either need to keep the RB back, roll the pocket to make these blitzes less effectiveand make them stop doing it, burn them with passing plays exploiting the wide open middle zone left by the LB’s, or expect the hits.

I dont care how much you think our OL should be able to stop Tanny from getting hit, he was going to get hit with the combination of vanilla plays, empty backfield and double LB blitzes from some of the best LB’s in the game.

Running game has to get better.

Blitzs clog the middle lanes, thats why i kept saying we need to bounce some runs outside. We kept running right to the lanes they clogged with blitzes. Their LB’s were brutal. When they go back and review the game i hope they show the LB’s the film on their LB’s side by side with their own so they can see what they are supposed to be doing.

Best I can say for Tanny on holding the ball too long is that I saw definite improvement. Great — No. Better — Yes. And I saw him throw away more than one ball that he wouldn’t have in the past.

And we are talking about one of the places where he most needed to improve.

September 14, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Ken

Not my butt cheek, but it was a possibility. 🙂
    ———————————————-
    If he is numbing up your butt cheeks id be sure not to fall aslepp in the chair.

Main reasons that Tanny didnt stay upright was the constant LB blitz, pretty damn good coverage, ie nothing open, and really standard vanilla play calls, nothing but setup until the damn 4th quarter. Their defense was pretty lights our across the board, and all game long.

I think Bushrod and James were struggling a bit in pass protection

Bushrod for sure. James wasn’t bad. I mean it looked like his guy got around the back a few times but a OT is supposed to ride them back that way and if they try to speed rush you they a lot of times take themselves out of the play and you look like you are chasing them, but it s actually a good thing. He had a couple not so pretty moments, but so did Albert, so did Tunsil.

On top of having Parker id set still for those drops, teach him a lesson and activate hunter. Go with big receivers against NE’s secondary.

D, just imagine not falling asleep but you can’t move. Moon River!!! LOL

Tanny had two balls he should have thrown away that he didnt and i know it was because he was trying to get something done and just ran out of real estate. First one i think was just trying to use every inch of the field to wait for a guy to get open, he got shoved out of bounds for what counted as a sack. Second one that asl counted for a sack, i really think he fogot his down and distance. It was second down and i think he thought it was third so he held on to it trying for that last get open moment and got stripped, and damn near lost the ball, which mercifully went out of bounds, but unfortunately was a clock continues to run scenario. They should have blown a whistle though so he didnt have to take that last sack, because the play was dead WAY before he snapped it.

Tim reply to you above about the run game.

September 14, 2016 at 3:48 pm (Edit)

__________________________________________
    I totally agree he could be a difference maker. If that was Parker instead of Stills last week I bet you that’s a catch and a TD. Also I think you would have seen the difference in the redzone where our WRs were struggling to get open. Parker’s size would likely have given Tannehill a viable target in the redzone

NFL suspended Bills RT Seantrel Henderson four games for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy.

Tannehill played the game within what it was. So did Wilson. It was that kind of game. Don’t make the big mistake. You can’t in what was a 6-3 game all day. Both QBs played like pros, not great but not poorly at all.

LOL D – If you’ve gone to the dentist, and probably most doctors, they make a cameo appearance at best, and then go on their way. The hygienist did everything once he shot my mouth to death. Now if she wanted to rape me, well . . . . lol

September 14, 2016 at 3:48 pm (Edit)

**************
    and he makes the catch!

Landry and Parker have good hands

I don’t think you will see a mental fart like the one we saw v Seattle

162. 81Howie says:

Evening Update
    DOLPHINS-PATRIOTS
    BriNY 27-21 MIA
    Piggy24-14 MIA
    Howie 24-8 NE*
    B’man 38-13MIA
    N/A 28-20 NE*
    MikeE20-10MIA
    Real 34-17 NE*
    Cav 30-27 MIA
    Wyo 24-20 MIA
    Al 24-17 NE*
    GO PHINS!!!

The QB sets his protection. We see a ton of shotgun and plenty of empty backfield. That affects getting your protection set too. Then, teams press the LOS on us, and bring extra men often. So, the running game is often trying to block -1 man or more. That usually doesn’t work. The way to disrupt zone runs is to get quick penetration upfield…preferably up the middle. It both disrupts the flow of your blockers, and it puts guys in position to stop the inside run as well. On top of this, we really don’t seem to want to establish a running game early by selling out to it, formation-wise. We rarely go to a power set.

All of this is true. Need to do a better job blocking these plays. There are some snaps that look good. It’s about consistency. You gotta get better than 50/50.

Tim my point of the run blocking is if you have the box stacked, and the LB’s are firing through the C-G gap and the T-TE gap, running it right into that wall, i dont care who you have on the OL, you cant send a RB on a naked dive in those gaps and expect yards. If the LB’s have to play containment because you have been exploiting them on the outside, then they cant commit to hitting those gaps and you have a chance to get to them on the second level. Other option would be a dive with lead blocker, but we also dont do that often.

You cant run effectively or pass if you dont do something about the numbers game. You just physically cant block everyone, you have to scheme around it. I guess im saying and i think Gase somewhat admitted it, they didnt pull out the big plays out of the playbook that would exploit them blitzing so much and in turn they didnt back off blitzing almost every play.

D,
    Just my opinion, but I don’t think you bench a guy for a drop. Especially in the first game of the season. You can limit his snaps or get on him in practices. There are lots of ways to help him feel the impact of that moment. But, typically, you want to go right back to him and show him you trust him. Don’t make it “a thing” and get him thinking about it. You want him to just go out there and play with confidence. Now, if several games in he’s still dropping balls, you may take a different approach. Again, not saying that’s the right way…just my thoughts.

No you are right, i more mean id take his snaps from him, benching is more for continued issues but i think a point should be made that if he cant hold on to the ball, others are waiting that can. Id activate Hunter this next game and do what you are suggesting, split his snaps with him.

I think not running from traditional running sets is a part of it too. It’s just harder to run from a passing formation.

I’m with you there man and you can still do that in today’s game. Don’t know why more teams don’t do it. The game is about matchups, not just formations.

• New Age says:

I agree. Kubiak is known for his running game but a huge part is making it the priority it needs to be.

Id brink Drake/Williams in on plays and have a lead back. I for sure would have brought Mitchell in on that dive play with Foster for the short yardage attempt.

D,
    I’m betting Stills is feeling some heat from the coaches this week. Lol He had several lapses in focus on Sunday. He played hard all game, but his focus wasn’t there. Hopefully it was first game yips. The bright side is that he was getting open a fair amount.

Yeah maybe that it, hopefully it is. I just know i had heard rumors that the Saints had issues with him with big drops like that too, so when you see something like this you start to think, this shit isnt going to get any better, and maybe the people who had said the trade was a foolish one was right afterall.

D,
    I wonder if we even have a RB who could function as a lead blocker. It’s a tough job, and most NFL RBs these days have no idea how to do it. You don’t want just a body in there because that just clogs up the hole with another body. If the lead blocker can’t actually clear the hole, he’s not helping. Do you think Drake/Williams can do it? I have no idea.

Id use them in different ways, i think they would be effective as lead blockers for off tackle runs, like a power 6 run. OT take his man to the outside, OG seals his inside, TE in motion, leads through the 6 gap, followed by Drake and Foster, TE picks up the first guy, Drake picks up the second, Foster does the rest. I am not sure i feel they would be appropriate as lead blockers on 0 gap plays, though you could line them up in that formation and go at it a few times then out of same formation run a counter with Foster to the weakside after Drake dives the 0. Could then actually give it to Drake on that dive because now you have them not sure what the heck you are going to do out of that same formation.

They are not traditional lead backs is what im getting at but we could use them that way, if not we would need to look for a traditional FB if you want to do pure power run type stuff.

D,
    I was one of those that didn’t like the Stills trade and recall that debate. Maybe the dude needs lasic. Lol

Tim i know he was cut for a reason, but id like to think we also signed him for a reason…..

Not sure you bench a guy like Stills who’s been in the offseason all year for a guy like Hunter off of one tough game. I’d rather have him steaming to make up for it along with Parker.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

stills is in a contract year. And he saw the type of contract Rishard mathews got by making clutch catches. He better start making those catches or I think he should be benched.

We signed him bc “why not”

He is talent
      It hasn’t come together for him
      Sometime it does for guys on their 2nd team so it’s worth a shot

But if you thrust him into starting – it’s starting him out in a bad foot

D,
    Oh okay. I was just going off your earlier comments about the inside runs not working. Most teams run that kick out block in the outside zone with a TE coming in motion across the field these days. Teams just seem allergic to having 2 RBs in the backfield these days. Lol

I liked the Stills trade

We gave up a day 2 draft pick to pick up a player on a rookie contract and a guy you know can play in this league

Yeah he dropped an easy TD
    All receivers have good and bad qualities

When you pick up a guy that stretches the field you pick him up for that purpose

Unless there elite and a first round type, you can expect other questionable qualities (hands)

A guy like that is meant to work as part of the unit
    Not be a guy you rely on

Trading for a guy like that on a rookie contract is better than signing a Mike Wallace to a huge deal

Stills in public enemy number 1 all of the sudden bc of the drop and the kneel

But a week ago he was being talked up as pushing Parker on the depth chart
    Which is laughable by the way

There’s no problem with Stills on this team
    You probably don’t give a guy of his qualities a contract when he becomes a FA (this offseason) unless he really ups his game

But that’s a solid WR to have down on your depth chart no matter what the short term memories types say

As I recall the Saints didn’t target him much
    And he didn’t have a lot of drops

The wait a traded him with a vision of drafting Brandon cooks

Cooks is an upgrade
    As a matter of fact Cooks would be an upgrade to about 70% of the receivers in the NFL

But cooks was a 1st round investment for the saints
    He makes a player like Stills expendable

Stills is a good WR down on your depth chart
    He just not a guy you should target a lot during the course of the season

I’m hoping Landry and Parker play this weekend as our 1st and 2nd primary options and that takes pressure off Stills – which will open up the offense and make him deadly

You need pieces like that down the depth chart
    Let Carroo develop slowly
    And don’t out too many expectation on Hunter and let him come along as well

Piggy

Problem with Stills is he was passed on the depth chart by Rishard Matthews, and never managed to take it back. I like Rishard, but he’s not a very good WR, he’s OK. He’s going to get more chances, but like I said a while ago, Carroo is waiting in the wings just like Rishard was, and if Stills doesn’t step up, maybe Carroo will

I think Carroo will be better than Matthews and should fill the same role
      In Matthews case I think he benefitted from playing its he same qb for years

I don’t think you should have very high expectations for stills

I think he’s at best your #3 and nothing more

But if there are other talented receivers on the field, he’s gonna stretch the field and open things up for him

A guy like that should never be a high target guy
      But they should exploit the D concentration on other guys
      And be big play threats

Yeah they gotta catch the deep ball
      But I doubt defenses let stills roam free toward the endzone based on that drop

I can’t imagine a receiver soon that twice on his career
      But if he has another huge drop like that I will probably be done with him

That particular drop was worth 10 average drops