The Porcine Oddyssey #103: A Simulation

Pigsgerald Bacon has agreed to participate in a simulation.  Today Piggy will be helping us demonstrate pocket awareness.  Specifically the pocket awareness of our very own quarterback – Ryan Tannehill.

To appreciate the authenticity of the simulation – Piggy will be wearing a blindfold

blidfoldpiggy

That way Piggy will have no idea what is going on around him!

and we made some last minute additions to the simulation that Piggy does not know about

Like adding a trap door right below Piggy…

closed-trap-door

So imagine that Ryan Tannehill is standing in the pocket..if there is a pocket

And suddenly something unexpected happens so the play doesn’t go as planned

To simulate this…the trap door opens…

fallthroughdoor

Now the blindfolded Piggy has no idea what is around him

In this case, we have a room full of hungry crocodiles to simulate the rushing defensive players coming at Ryan Tannehill

piggycrocodiles1

Look at Piggy Panic!

Look familiar?

Miami Dolphins v Cincinnati Bengals

Ryan Tannehill has been sacked 195 times in his career

He’s under pressure a lot more than that

He’s had a horrible offensive line

No run game

Some very predictable play calling

stripsack2

But some think he holds the ball too long

And he doesn’t seem to move very well in the pocket.

He has no sense of the rush around him.

And the result is 41 fumbles in 68 games

stripsack3

Fixing this might be Adam Gase’s biggest challenge

Can it be taught?

Gase seems to think so he recently sighted to helping Jay Cutler with this when he worked with Jay Cutler.

If it is fixed, it might just save the season for the Dolphins.

Okay Piggy…I think I made my point.  Let me help you out of there

handreachingfor-trotter

Oh wait…we aren’t done with the simulation

to simulate the Dolphins breaking the heart of Dolfans, we will simply pull our hand away while Piggy reaches

and watch him drop to the crocodile pit again

piggycrocodiles2

Did we tell you we named all the crocodiles Geno Atkins to make this as realistic as possible?

…Well looks like Piggy made it out of the crocodile pit trap door!

Can the Dolphins make it out of this 1-3 hole?

A tired pig resting on a muddy surface

This entry was posted in The Porcine Oddyssey, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

572 Responses to The Porcine Oddyssey #103: A Simulation

D says:
    October 4, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Rushing sets up the pass too, so if you abandon it all together they just drop back and play coverage… then you cant complete passes.

D, I’ve been preaching that all along. If anything you just explained some of Tannehill’s struggles. 😉

I’m all for balance but I just don’t see it in the run game right now. I would love nothing more for us to have a real good rushing performance Sunday where we only pass 28-32 times but we’re real efficient. That will lead to a win most likely.

See we can discuss the run game or even some defensive woes without putting it all on one guy. I want see the entire team step it up because it has to happen if we’re going to start winning games. We’re not good enough to just sit back and throw all day. We don’t make enough big plays on defense to do that either.

No its not, it shows when we do it, its effective, we give up on it, thats why its an average, because it what we are getting per snap,

The issue is situational. We get 8-12 yards on one play, have a drop or incompletion on the next play, run for -1 yard and are 3rd and 11 with a 5.5 per carry average.

It’s kind of like how Tannehill can be 27 of 34 for 280 yards and two TD, but two of his 6 incompletions were Picks and the other 4 were on 3rd down.

YPCA only matters with a big body of work. Even then it’s about situational running. 4 yards on 1st down is already setting up a manageable 2nd and 3rd down without a penalty or something fucked up happening. 2 yards on 3rd and 1 is good. So we’re now averaging 3.0 YPC but efficient as Gase likes to view it. That’s not what happens a lot of the times. That’s the problem.

I haven’t been hard on the OL this year other then saying the performance hasn’t been good. I’m not bashing any one guy. They are not settled yet and let’s hope they’re on the verge of doing that. I do agree with Son that Tunsil is the real deal. He’s only going to get better wherever he plays.

Maybe Bushrod is not a guard and the right side is totally foreign to him, or maybe he needs a few more games. Maybe James who is a still a young player with not as many games under his belt as we think will still get better. Pouncey coming back and playing well. New found depth that fared pretty well even if the entire group did not. It’s all about the best 5 and chemistry on the OL. I do think we have talent there. It hasn’t been a great start for a lot of reasons.

Wyo’s link post does explain a lot of things and Gase takes responsibility for a lot of it. I really like that. Clean it up guys. Gase go with your gut with who gives us the best chance to win. That’s part of the learning curve we’ve discussed. Let’s start Sunday. 🙂

Another Mets analogy: The Mets were built on power, pitching and they improved the defense this year. They lack speed and consistent contact hitting so they’re not a hit and run or a base stealing team. They don’t manufacture runs often. They hit HRs and doubles and drive runs in that way. The manager (Terry Collins) knows this and that’s how he manages.

Gase is learning what his team is. Let’s see if he and his staff can get the players who give us the best chance to win playing well. That’s what we all want. So far it’s not been good enough regardless of reasons/excuses. LOL

Tim everyone knows the Mets got good QB play down the stretch…lol

Cespedes too. 😉

The Mets also wasted many good pitching performances mid season. It was Déjà vu all over again. But at a lesser level they rebounded again. They relied on organizational depth that has been building this team for more than 1-2 years though.

Sandy Alderson showed he actually knows what he’s doing even if it takes time. He stocked our minors with pitching prospects none of us knew about to help this team make a late season run this year. This started years ago when we weren’t good.

I’m just sharing how I view my baseball team. The same way. I see it for what it is. Maybe Tannehill is Lucas Duda minus the injuries, feast or famine with a few okays. LOL

And if I was god — would have made the Titan’s game the Fest simply cause the ticket would be the cheapest.

Imagine what people would be saying right now if it was Fest. It was like a mob scene at the gas station today.

son of a son of a shula says:
    October 4, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Tim everyone knows the Mets got good QB play down the stretch…lol

lmao. you are such a troll.

Son, i do mean that and do so laugh at your troll comments. I do like how you like to stir shit up. Do i think you are a troll, well you know better then that but I do love how you like to stir the pot with your comments.

son of a son of a shula says:
    October 4, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Keep the folks interested

isnt that why we are all here. just some lame as dolphin fans and interested in the same things? i do so get you pushing buttons and find it so funny at times. but lets all be honest. the only reason we are all here is just waiting for another of one of wyomings pics or that lame ass lets ask mike blog.

Hunker down Stanger
    I hope this big fucker misses south Florida and all of Florida

i mean for me, i cant wait for the next botw who is now a 108 years old from mike.

Current photos of Grace are down-right scary

The reason for the Mets analogies are probably obvious. They host the one-off playoff game with the Giants – Bumgarner vs. Syndergaard. This is what I love about sports and when my team is a part of it, I want to enjoy it. Sure if you lose you’re bummed for a bit, but to get into the mix for a championship is a whole other thing. Even for a short while.

That’s what I want to see the Phins start doing. At least get into the mix. I have no idea if they are capable yet, but I know what it’s like to think the Mets have no shot and they defy the odds. It does happen. 🙂

can just imagine mike looking up his botw and going how about her….then his wife smacks him up side the head. wtf is wrong with you, she is only 82, now find a woman older. and poor lil mike e saying ‘but these guys are going to hate me’ and she says, ‘ever want to see me naked again’ now find and old hag. lmfao

HOPE EVERYONE in south Florida will be safe from hurricane Matthew. Looks like the house Mrs. OD and I own in West Palm may be in harm’s way. But that house has survived more than a dozen hurricanes, and it had a state-of-the-art roof put on in 2009, so we’re hoping for the best. As most of you know, we now live in a suburb of Tampa (in the process of moving to a larger rental house there.) Things are crazy right now, but we’ll be OK. But I may be a bit distracted this weekend as I work at a convention in Lakeland through Sunday. Never a dull moment!
    ——————–
    Last but not least: IF they tell you folks now living in south Florida to evacuate, GET THE HELL OUTTA THERE PRONTO!! –Be safe, my friends, be safe!!

October 4, 2016 at 8:45 pm

The reason for the Mets analogies are probably obvious.

yes they are. it means you are a mets fan and a loser like every dolphin fan

son of a son of a shula says:
    October 4, 2016 at 8:47 pm

lol

Look for Susan B Anthony tomorrow

and knowing mike it wont even be a picture of the back side of the coin.

olddolphan says:
    October 4, 2016 at 8:46 pm

i read that you crazy old plagiarists, how dare you move out of lutz. how am i suppose to run into you at a winn dixie again

Betsy Ross always got me excited.

Yeah be safe folks with these hurricanes.

Don’t worry the Bye week Bi babe will be nice.

Feel free to nominate a Bi babe but each nominee has to come with a published quote of admission.

Johndibi@yahoo.com

I already have a winner I’m ready to roll with but I can be swayed

Man this is bullshit! The storm is still 1000 my Les away and my power goes out? It’s not even raining

The next BOTW

Jakeem Grant says he could beat Usain Bolt in the 40

23. Everyone please be safe. Hope the storm misses you guys in Fla.

24. It’s possible the fins miss out on a home game this Sunday because if Matthew becomes a threat the game will be moved to Tennessee.

Alain Poupart
    ‏@apoupartFins
    Former @MiamiDolphins LB Jordan Tripp promoted from @Seahawks practice squad to active roster.

This sums it up for me!

The best case scenario is Gase finds a way to tweak Tannehill and get him through the season, and the team looks for other options next year.

It’s not pretty right now, but they have no other real options.

• It’s time to stop wasting time w/Tannehill and start developing Doughty. Every week they wait they hold back his development. Is he better than Tannehill is right now? No. But how good was Tannehill when he was a rookie? Not good.
      He’s ahead of where Tannehill was as a rookie and has a higher ceiling than Tannehill. Again, only thing Tannehill has over Doughty is arm strength and athletic ability but Doughty’s arm strength isn’t bad and he moves around the pocket to avoid pressure; something Tannehill doesn’t do.
      So, the idea that Tannehill gives us the best chance is illogical because, if he’s not going to be here after this year, why waste time on him.

8 AM ADVISORY says Matthew’s top winds down to 115 MPH. That’s significant b/c most structures will NOT suffer major damage unless the eye passes directly over them in south Florida. NHC says the storm could regenerate to a cat 4 in the open Atlantic. But we’ll see.
    ——————
    FFR: Me and Mrs. OD (and dogs) NOT leaving Lutz. –Just moving to a different area of Lutz. –Could see you again in Winn Dixie or Publix again.

OD

Glad to hear the winds won’t be as damaging as expected, I hope all you guys down in FLA stay safe!

what? So titans get another home game? I hope that’s not the case

per mularky
    “There may be some weather issues. There’s a very slight chance that game could be moved up here. There’s been some discussion because of it”

Please send in your questions

ASK MIKE

nj1dolfan@yahoo.com

It’s time to stop wasting time w/Tannehill and start developing Doughty.

Doughty is not the answer. Why do you even think he could “develop”? The OC is on record saying Doughty can’t read the defenses or go through his progressions and that he goes off script too much. What make you think that will change?

you say all these things about Doughty like they are facts. How do you determine these things when you haven’t seen him play but MAYBE 1 1/2 in the preseason? Your Tannehate is truly poisoning your perspective. Tannehill is the best QB on our team. THAT is a fact.

It is unfortunate, but true.

• well, if Tannehill is the best we’ve got on the team then we’re in for a long season because we’re not going to win a lot of games with him.

• I’ve seen Doughty play more than just the few times in preseason; like in college. I also saw Tannehill play in college and was able to determine that we’d be wasting time with him as our qb.
        I agreed with Philbin two years ago when he wanted to draft Carr and they wouldn’t let him. Now we’re stuck with this p.o.s. qb who still has the same issues 4 yrs later.

• when the hell has the OC ever said that about Doughty? I know he said he doesn’t understand his progressions but he always seems to find the open guy. He’s on record saying that.
      Doughty is ahead of where Tannehill was coming out of college. he reads the D better, his progressions are better, he gets the ball out faster, he avoids pressure because he’s got better pocket presence and his ball placement is a hell of a lot better than Tannehill’s.

Bull shit conjecture Professor. You and Trump just make stuff up. You cannot say any of this about Doughty. YOU DON’T KNOW. there is no body of work to go off of. You have seen Brandon throw 28 passes against third stringers and camp bodies for a check down average of 6 yards per pass.

• I don’t understand why you’re getting so pissed off about my comments. Tannehill was a wasted pick. He was, at best, a 4th rd prospect in the draft and Ireland screwed the pooch and, once again, screwed over the Phins and their fans by picking him that high.
        I don’t care that someone else was going to pick him before the end of the first round. Makes no difference to me. The Jets picked Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. So, the fact that some other team was in love with Tannehill doesn’t mean he’s good or was going to be good or picking him that high was justified.
        Now, the team has been set back for over four years trying to develop a quarterback who’s mediocre and will never lead this team to above .500.
        I’m tired of rooting for a team that’s constantly in the cellar and Tannehill’s been a huge factor in that record over the past four years. Sherman and Lazor were right in not allowing him the freedom to change plays because he’s a game manager and that’s all he is.

• should’ve never drafted this loser. I sure hope to God that they’re not going to keep him around any longer than this year because, if they do, we’re going to have a long four more years.

Rock,
    I think we can win 6 games with moore which is what we’re gonna win with tanny this year (if we’re lucky). Tanny may have more talent than Moore but I doubt it will result in more wins this year with this team.

When you are 1-3, the back-up QB is always the better QB in some fans eyes…..John Beck, where are you?

34. Rock,
    the point is, if Tannehill’s done at the end of the season, it’s time to stop wasting time trying to develop talent that just isn’t there. Doughty has the skillset to run this offense and we need to see what we’ve got with him so it’s counterproductive to just keep Tannehill in there as a starter if we’re going to end up below .500 anyway.
    Why bother?
    Bring Doughty up and get him ready to take over the helm and see what you’ve go with him. Tannehill’s a done deal. Who cares if you think he’s the best we’ve got right now. What does that mean anyway? If the team isn’t going to the playoffs this year and Tannehill’s not going to be here after this season it’s time to make a change and sit him and let the rookie come in and get the experience.
    If Doughty isn’t the guy then you know you’ve got to draft a qb next year. But, you’re never going to know that unless you give him that opportunity. A guy doesn’t throw for that many td’s, yards and that few int’s in college if he doesn’t have something to work with. Look at Garoppolo. He had big numbers at a small school and he’s the future in NE.
    Who’s to say Doughty isn’t. You say it’s conjecture on my part but when you compare the two guys how can anyone look at Doughty and Tannehill and not think he’s the better qb? How? Tannehill’s the better athlete. That’s it. As a qb he sucks. Doughty has a higher football IQ than Tannehill ever had.
    ER told me that after practices Doughty would spend another 45 minutes practicing 5 and 10 yd outs. He’s the guy

I don’t know why you think I’m pissed about anything you do Professor. You cannot make me angry. I’m not happy that we are 1-3, but very few thought we would be any better than that when the schedule came out. I don’t think tannehill is the MAIN reason we have been stuck in mediocrity. There are a 1000 reason why beside Tannehill’s play. The statement that we can never be better than .500 with Tannehill is speculation and conjecture.

If I told you a guy with carreer stats of 59.5 completion percentage and 83.6 carreer passer rating could have 2 superbowl rings you might say I was out of my mind. But then you would say “well Eli Manning is a way better QB” but the stats don’t bare that out.

• because it’s not about stats. Tannehill has meaningless stats because they are empty stats. He throws two int’s, one of which is a pick six, and puts the team down and then gets balls batted down, we go 3 and out over and over keeping the D on the field and then he has to pass a lot to come back and people think his stats are great.
      If anything is bullshit it’s that. Tannehill’s comp % is higher because of the number of short passes he throws; especially the number of bubble screens he throws. His accuracy sucks so if he starts throwing too many intermediate passes his comp % would go way down and if you look at those stats you’ll see that it’s true.
      So, stats mean nothing. Wins mean everything. Moving your team down the field and scoring means something. Points mean something. Converting easy third downs by completing an easy pass means something. Meaningless stats are just that. Meaningless.

• And, Eli Manning IS a much better qb. Anyone who thinks he isn’t is an idiot.

Lou

If Brandon Doughty is as capable as you say, why didn’t the Dolphins trade Matt Moore, get a late round pick, and promote Doughty to the 53? I’m just asking, not being contentious.

• maybe they wanted to give Tannehill every chance to prove he’s the guy this year and not create a controversy. If Doughty was the #2 guy and Moore was gone some people could look at that and start something and they might not have wanted that.
      think about it. if they let Moore go and kept Doughty in his place most would be saying “wow, the team must be really high on Doughty to let Matt Moore go and have Doughty as the #2 behind Tannehill”. And then, if they are that high on him some would start with, “well, if they are that high on him it’s possible he’s the future if they decide to not keep Tannehill around after this season” and when we get to THIS point in the season at 1-3 then it really starts to blow up.
      Of course, like Rock says, it’s just conjecture on my part.
      I know it’s just my opinion but I feel he’s the better QB. You look at what Siemian did at Northwestern which is pretty much shit and he’s a starter for Denver. Granted, they have an elite D and the Phins D isn’t anywhere near that at this point but the Phins do have numerous weapons on offense and you do need a quarterback that’s capable of getting the ball to those weapons so they can do something with it. Tannehill isn’t that guy.

37. I’m telling you like I told you in the past when I put up vids on Twitter. If you have the Game Rewind on NFL.com and you go back and look at the coaches film of the games you can see every play develop and you’re going to sit there and shake your head when you see how incapable Tannehill is when it comes to finding the open receiver(s). Pitiful.

38. I’m not trying to insult anyone on here like they don’t know any of this but I’m just stating it as a preface.
    QB progressions are based on a few different things. One, on the play called. Then, when the qb comes to the line and looks over the D he’s going to base them on the way the D is lined up and the matchups he has. If he has a matchup he feels is favorable that’s his first progression. Then he goes from there.
    Tannehill struggles mightily with this. He doesn’t see it. I understand why Sherman and Lazor were so apprehensive when it came to allowing Tannehill the freedom to do things because, if you watch the first four games, you’ll see that he has difficulty reading defenses and DC’s can confuse him a lot.
    And that’s a FACT Jack.

• Jahndoh30 says:

God I hate it when people spew conjecture and then state it in all caps that it’s a FACT.

You’re not the only one with game rewind, and furthermore, your obvious, entrenched, long time bias colors your analysis.

Anyone who says he was a 4th round talent when the Godfather himself, Gil Brandt had him as a top 3 talent in the entire draft, is clearly not meant for player analysis.

You’re pretty freakin’ full of yourself Lou. LOL…

39. and just for the record I don’t hate Tannehill. I really don’t care for Misi though.

Mike and Brian, tonight is one of those games where every pitch is intense.

You know, maybe that’s exactly what Tannehill needs, a kick in the ass, someone to threaten his job security.

That was to Lou

• BoulderPhinfan says:

That’s why I was hoping more 1st team snaps for Moore this week to put tanny on notice a little. But I doubt that’ll happen. This FO, for some reason, doesn’t want to make tanny sweat at all.

• Jahndoh30 says:

You don’t accelerate a QB learning a new offense by taking snaps away from him. You can’t “motivate” learning.

I get your frustration, I do. But I just don’t think “motivation” is the problem. Maybe I’m wrong.

42. Rock,
    let me ask YOU this. We’ve all seen Tannehill play for four and 1/4 seasons and we’ve seen what he’s capable (lol) of doing so do you think he’s a good qb? Do you think the team needs to spend this year and possibly next developing him more in Gase’s system to give a shot with a guy who’s supposed to be good or great with qb’s or do you think it’s also time to move on?

I think it will be time to move on next season when the results of this season are in. You don’t want to hear it, but this is a new system for EVERYONE we have to let it play out. Benching Tannehill at this point is stupid and there is no benefit tot he team or fans. I for one have not given up on the season yet and RT gives us the best chance to win. Check back at the end of the season and I will have a different answer.

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 2m2 minutes ago
    Titans RB DeMarco Murray says watching Kiko Alonso on film, he’s back to his rookie form when he was rookie of the year.

Really?? why is he 4th in the league for completions over 20 yards? Why is he 6th in the league in completions over 40 yards?? This is another myth propagated by haters like you.

Ryan’s 7.8 yard per completion average is also the 6th best in the league. He doesn’t dink / dunk like you would have us think.

46. Jahndoh30 says:

Rock,

I’m down on Tannehill myself, but Lou is just about the most biased opinion you could debate on this topic. You can stop reading at “4th round”.

Maybe he’s not going to work out for us, but he was and still is our best chance at having a decent QB in Miami. When you need a QB and you’re drafting high, you HAVE to select the best QB candidate available.

Generally speaking there’s only one way and 2 steps to finding a franchise QB (IMHO)
    1) You draft them in the first.
    2) You get a little lucky and have him pan out.

If Tannehill is as bad as some here are saying, we’ll have that high 1st rounder to address the problem next offseason.

Oh, I’m down on him too. I was calling for him to be benched in the game last week. But I SEE what the reason behind failed plays are as well as Lou says he does. Drew Breeze throws 5 interceptions in a game. Do you bench him for the season? Cam Newton is doing shittier than Tannehill this year. Do they cut bait and draft a new QB in the first round or start their practice squad QB over him for the rest of the season? No, THAT is just stupid.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

You can’t compare breeze and newton to tanny. One has won the superbowl the other was the mvp of the league last year and got to the superbowl. Tanny has been nothing but mediocre since he’s been here.

I don’t think they should bench him yet either. Lets see how we do before the bye. If things don’t change you have to consider benching him.

Jahn,
    I asked you this yesterday. Is your company gonna be in denver this weekend for GABF?

Jahn

I don’t necessarily disagree with you
    but I think lately we have seen some 2nd and 3rd rounders pan put at QB

Daz Prescott id actually a 4th rounder
    And Garrapollo, who looks good early, is a 2nd as far as I recall

but my point of view on Tannehill is that we should not discard him and put ourselves in a position where we are desperate at QB
    We should not make him immune from competition or scrutiny

and that might mean benching him this year if he continues to play like he has
    or it might mean bring in a 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder in 2017

if however, the opportunity came up to trade Tannehill for high compensation – I would do it and start all over at QB

I think in a lot of ways I’m in the same place as Lou on Tannehill
    Its hard for me to believe there is a corner to be turned that he has not turned yet – and I don’t see a franchise QB. I see a guy that might steady the boat temporarily though – and so I’m not real eager to rock the boat

I would rather we just work on building the defense up in terms of personel decisions in the near future

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 14m14 minutes ago
    Bears are placing WR Kevin White on IR with a severe left high ankle sprain that resulted in a fractured fibula,… http://fb.me/88ocXs6Im

wyoming85 says:
    October 5, 2016 at 12:57 pm (Edit)
    Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 2m2 minutes ago

******
    then Demarco put away his butter and said that’s enough for now. I’m done buttering the defense up so I can run for over 200 yards on Sunday. Tomorrow I plan to state something like their “secondary will be a challenge for us…blah blah blah”

In all honesty Kiko has some moments when he looks great . The guy is playmaker. He’s just really inconsistent and is often just not in the right spot and its killing us. But he has made a handful of really nice plays this season so far and he is credited with a ton of tackles

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 8m8 minutes ago
    Branden Albert (illness) is not practicing. Anthony Steen (ankle) is.

I guess the draft a few years ago should have fell more like
    1. Cooper 1st WR off the board
    2. Parker

then way down the line Kevin White goes off the board

horrible injury riddled start to his career

Jaelen Strong – who I loved, has 6 catches for the Texans this year and is starting to come along

but Will fuller starts opposite Hopkins

The next 3 home games before the bye will say a lot about this team. Let’s see where we are then.

Oh wait we might have to play the game in TEN due to the hurricane. Doh!!! LOL

Yes I can. I just fucking did!

This one DID this that one DID that. What have they done this year? Newton has been nothing but mediocre for his career minus last year. The MVP thing was a popularity contest in my opinion. He wasn’t the best QB in the league last year. Hell he wasn’t even top 5. A slew of players had a higher passer rating, higher completion %, threw for more yards, had more touchdowns, etc. etc.

Relax. Tannehill will be a backup in 2 years, and this will all be a sad memory. Then we can all get back to blaming the FO. Lol

High ankle sprain that resulted in a fractured bone? DAMN that has to hurt!

Rock,
    Because it’s not about stats. It’s about winning. Comparing QBs is pointless. Does Tannehill get his team in the end zone? In the end, yards thrown, YPA, none of it matters. Go find a way to make plays to win. Newton took his team to the SB…and a lot of it was because of his individual play with very suspect talent around him. Tannehill can’t even get his team into the playoffs.

I’m not getting into the QB debate but a big reason the Panthers had the season they did and went to the SB last year was because of their defense.

58. Rhino says:

Only hope I still have is that our 3 losses were all on the road to teams considered favorites to be in Conf. Championship games. Most here probably picked “L” on the prediction google doc.

With that said, y’all who said it above: These next 4 home games make or break the season.

AND, my confidence level is not so high for Tenn (run game), Steelers (well, for obvious reasons), Bills (Defense). Jets with Fitz don’t worry me. 🙂

Because it’s not about stats. It’s about winning.

TEAMS win games.

Rockphin says:
    October 5, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Because it’s not about stats. It’s about winning.

TEAMS win games.

since when. what is this kind of crazy concept. no one has ever heard of a team winning a game. you need to put down the pipe.

So my wife insists this morning that we need a battery powered fan in case we lose power.

I get why she wants one, but told her no am not going to Home Depot to look for one cause they sold their last one like two days ago. She blamed me for not taking this thing seriously….and get that she is a bit worried.

I ain’t so worried about losing power so much, but sure am hoping that is one that I won’t be hearing about for years.

Most of the gas stations are bone dry in my are now. And competition for whatever is left in the others is fierce, and not particulary polite.

Be safe man.

Thanks Tim, but not really a matter of being safe. Over a mile from the water, in a strong building just outside the last possible mandatory evacuation zone. Only Q really is power going out and for how long.

But I figure if it looks bad there…..hit the road and drive with the wife and dogs till we find a place to set up.

Buy one of the old school Japanese fans

Then flex and tell her “don’t worry, these guns can power a fan all night”

Boulder

Almost 100% sure Jahn said he would be at GABF

stanger,

if you have to hit the road i have a nice basement you can visit

October 5, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Thanks Rob….but as tempting as that is my good buddy Ken would get jealous.

yeah but it is cute when he does, he gets all green and his clothes rip

October 5, 2016 at 2:56 pm

But why never the pants?

didnt know you really cared but i am sure if you ask him he will rip those off too

And I sit here nice and safe having just sent two drivers in a Semi Tractor to deliver into Delray beach for Friday am..

• manitobafinfan says:

at least they MAY be going against traffic..

We’ll see what happens, but that is just past the worst part of the forecast right now…..and right now the biggest projected impact zone. Highly likely no one will be working at the place they are dropping off at least.

Hulk’s pants don’t rip when he gets mad
    they rip when he gets excited like the rest of us (Piggy puffs his chest out while boasting)

68. 81Howie says:

Afternoon Update
    DOLPHINS-TITANS
    Piggy 33-14 MIA
    MikeE 31-17 MIA
    Naples 30-13MIA
    B’man 38-13 MIA
    Howie 30-10 TEN
    Jahn 28-23 MIA
    Old 20-17 TEN
    UK 20-17 MIA
    N/A 31-21 MIA
    GO PHINS!!!

69. 81Howie says:

Oooops, sorry I missed a bunch but been tracking the storm in the little time i get.
    Latest model runs look the worst for us here in central Florida. Were probably not be devestated up and over here in Marion county but the eye will surely be allot closer than the 11:00 update.

Piggy i think Alonzo is progressing. I have seen him play better each gam so far. I expected him to be good right off and he hasnt been and he is only getting somewhat decent now, but there has been progress each game, or it seems like that to me. Im fair with players, they show me progress ill park the cirticism or at least dial it back, but im also going to ramp it up when they are continually getting worse too.

He’s very aggressive
      (which is good)

but sometimes I question his instincts

He can be a very good piece to a solid defense
      but the problem is – we aren’t solid

And that leaves us with guys in the wrong spots

I think there might be a future for Alonso on this team
      but I think we need a real Mike LB

I don’t know if this will come up or not?
    but if it does you got to read some of the comments! 🙂

Hurrican looks like it will roll up the east coast of FL all the way from about Boca to Jacksonville and then into Georgia and the Carolinas. Looks like its going to be more of a storm surge type of hurricane, id be more afraid if i was directly on the coast than towards the center of the state.

Stanger .. Thanks.. I am calling down there tomorrow to see what they think.. does this prediction make it one of the heavier ones in a long time ? or just how im reading it ??

It is supposed to be category 3 or 4 (so real strong storm), but then it is going to be sorta skirting up the coast. A little swing left or right is the difference btwn not that big a deal and a huge whopper impact.

• manitobafinfan says:

Well here’s hoping for everyone’s sake it does not hit land, and hopefully turns out to sea.. Stay Dry and Safe my Friends..

last one touched land was over 10 years ago ? that correct ?

Something like ten years ago down South here, but others have hit farther North. Florida is a big state.

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 53m53 minutes ago
    New. Xavien Howard injured in practice, uncertain for Sunday. The Suckage:

Piggy, VJ said some of the issues with the LBs looking like they’re in the wrong spot is due to the DL changing their lanes on the pass rush and when it’s a run they’re leaving bigger gaps then there should be for the LBs.

“Gase said Howard’s injury isn’t “a major deal.” But he added that it is significant enough for the team’s medical staff to be “cautious” because of the previous work done to Howards’s right knee in July.”

Stanger

I have an important message from our good pal jetssuck

Hi Mike,

As you know we are under Hurricane watch and I know Stranger lives in a High Rise close to the beach. If you could somehow relay this message to him, he and his wife is welcome to stay at our house as we have about 25-30 family/wife’s co-workers,friends staying. The house is 25 miles inland so we probably won’t feel most of the effects of a hurricane winds but I’ve prepared every year of every hurricane season to make my family more secure and comfortable for them during/after the hurricane passes. My house can withstand a cat 5 storm I believe. We have everything as we are cooking for 4 days,we have rented movies,and have games to last for several days.

Regards
    Dennis

Incredibly kind of jetssuck, especially thinking of me right now. Please thank him for the offer. But we ain’t that close to the beach. And please encourage him to come back. He is missed.

Any other questions for ASK MIKE ? ? ?

nj1dolfan@yahoo.com

How Frikkin Big is his house ??

That’s nice of Jetssuck

tell him to come back and visit the blog!

I will never have to shovel a driveway or sit out a blizzard but the trade-off of having to prepare for hurricanes sucks ass. I cannot believe how much work it is to secure all my “loose” items and I live in a fucking condo. My house up in Rockledge is fucked if it goes anywhere near there because I don’t have time to get up there and secure that place too

I just looked oked at the LA est models and I have to say what the fuck!?/Why!!?
    Some of them show up he storm raking all the way up the Florida coast and then heading east before turning South to come back West and hit us dead on in a big fucking loop.

Tim it isnt all the DL. Like i said before i saw some things that looked weird from the DL, especially from Phillips, so i dont doubt what VJ said is true, but i also saw several times where the LB has their assignments crossed and Alonzo and Jenkins in particular would be covering the same guy or playing the same gap, and that was not at all on the DL.

I think Alonzo has just been learning how to manage the defense, and call out assignments better. It has improved over past few games, so he is obviously learning and getting control, but even in the case of the DL lining up wrong or taking the wrong gap, part of that reflects on him as well because he is the MLB and he needs to get that shit straightened out. MLB is equivalent to the QB of the defense and he has to be vocal and assertive.

Good thing about the projected pat is the east side of the storm, the strongest side on a northerly moving storm will be in the water and not on land, this should keep damage and destruction from wind down. The bad part is that the circular movement of the wind rotating east-west means it will be pushing water towards the shore making storm surge a concern. As long as the path remains what is projected i think ost everyone that’s not on the shore should be pretty OK so im hoping this remains true. Hope you guys ride it out ok, and don’t under estimate the storm, be in the safest place possible, if thats somewhere else….please go there.

Mike a lot of houses in south Florida have Spanish tiles….that’s a full loaded machine gun’s worth of loose items for really strong storms.

86. 81Howie says:

The latest GFS model now has it coming in at Stuart but the NHC track at 5:00 had it on the coast at Daytona. So at the 11:00 expect it to be shifted a bit more west with 130mph winds.
    As for me and mine, we are about 70 miles due west of Daytona so we might get up to 90 out here.

87. 81Howie says:

UK 20-17 MIA
    N/A 31-21 MIA
    Toba 31-16 MIA
    GO PHINS!!!

88. 81Howie says:

Hey MikeE
    Did you guys beat the Giants?
    GO METS 🙂

Howie i think when it starts scraping the coast the winds are going to drop off a good bit, and it looks to be fairly swift moving, so you wont have all the excess saturation hopefully. Thats what always scared me was the ones that just hovered and didnt hardly move. If they do that the ground soaks up so much water that it becomes really soft and then even weak winds push down trees. Thats one of the biggest fears i have is a big ass tree smashing down on my house. Hope the best for ya bud. Stay safe, and if you got a place to go away from there make like a baby and head out.

Well My drivers headed down that way just blew a head gasket in ND.. So they will be safe.. Hope all the rest of you are as well..

manitobafinfan says:
    October 5, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Well My drivers headed down that way just blew a head gasket in ND.

yep, there is nothing like being on a road trip and blowing your head gasket to make one just pull over and rest.

Rock,
    Yes, teams win, and teams are made up of individual players making plays. We’ve all seen players go out and make individual plays to win games. I’m not even a fan of Newton, but you gotta give him credit for a pretty good year. Yes, as Tim said, their defense played well too, but Newton still had a great season. With nobody at WR and an OL that struggled for much of the season. He elevated everyone around him. The dude balled last year…but again…comparing QBs is pointless.

What I see from Kiko is a fairly quick guy that can get to the point of attack fairly well going sideline to sideline. He’s a small MLB like Zach. He can make plays if he’s kept clean and free to flow. But, run at him, and he’s easily taken out of the play. He also still seems slow in coverage…which is a little surprising.

complaining about QBs is pointless.

randy,

no thanks needed for fixing that for you.

October 5, 2016 at 5:57 pm

How many loose things can you possibly have?

i have a whole collections of loose things.

96. 81Howie says:

Were good in here D
    trees are way back from the house but the wife is now freaking out.
    Cant do nothing now but wait for it, been through this so I am not worried.
    145MPH is at flight level so on the ground expect about half of that but some pretty serious gusts.
    Oh by the way, Where are you located?

97. 81Howie says:

Were in a squeeze up here in this par, an old high pressure over the gulf. TS Niccole pushing the sub tropical ridge west and a 120 Hurricane to our south east has has us in a sustained 30 mph wind at this moment

WELL FOLKS the 4-day coin convention starting in Lakeland tomorrow IS STILL ON according to their website. Yes, Lakeland and Polk County are on a “Tropical Storm Warning” (winds 39-74 MPH) for Thursday & Friday. And local Tampa are Fox channel 13 forecaster Paul Dellagotto is suggesting “Andrew style TOTAL DEVASTATION AND DESTRUCTION along Florida’s east coast as a result of Matthew!” Well, nothing like playing the “Andrew Card” to boost ratings and advertising at stations lagging well behind in viewership!! But to compare the outcome of THIS STORM IN FLORIDA to ANDREW is just plain irresponsible yellow journalism!! Yes, a few houses will sustain damage (MINE in West Palm Beach could be one of them). But the winds (Andrew was a cat 5 with gusts over 185 MPH and tornadoes over 300MPH) will be nowhere near Andrew’s level. And the damage in the U.S. will be far less than Andrew’s (that’s the NHC saying it, not me!) Thankfully, Florida, unlike some other states, has “price gouging laws” that take effect when the governor declares a state of emergency, which he has for much of Florida. Basically, it bans tripling the price of gas, food, hotels and other services during an emergency and imposes heavy fines and possible jail time to those who violate this law. Too bad the governor can’t fine this asshole on Channel 13 for outrageously irresponsible forecasts which have put some folks in a state of needless panic.
    —————————–
    LOOKS somewhat dicey for folks living near the beach from the Palm Beaches north to the Cape Canaveral area. Fortunately, our house is about 10-12 miles inland from the ocean in southern Palm Beach County. And the strongest part of the storm is the northeast quadrant, which will impact West End, Grand Bahama, the worst. But I certainly DO NOT EXPECT 100-200 miles of the Florida East coast to look like Homestead did in late August of 1991. Young Stanger and all my friends in south Florida, be safe and make intelligent decisions and you should be just fine.–I am betting the Titans at Dolphins game WILL BE PLAYED at Hard Head Stadium on schedule this Sunday!

Let’s go Mets!!!!

100. 81Howie says:

Is that game tonight?
    GO Stem!!!

Let’s go Mets!

102. 81Howie says:

did I write 30, I meant to say 20 but still a squeeze ple up in thees parts with an old cold front that never made it through and sub tropical ridge pushing west.
    WERE DOOMED!

Mike E, Brian and all U Mets fans–GOOD LUCK TONITE!!

October 5, 2016 at 5:57 pm

How many loose things can you possibly have?

38 orchids! I didn’t realize I had so many! I just have kept splitting them when they got to big for a pot and bought a new pot for the cutting.

The new model they are showing on my local WPB station shows it bullseyeing my house in Rockledge. (Just south of Cocoa) SMH!

olddolphan says:
    October 5, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Mike E, Brian and all U Mets fans–GOOD LUCK TONITE!!

They are met fans. Luck left them a long long time ago.

107. 81Howie says:

Something is about to give!

Once again all you people dealing with the hurricane be safe.

Great pitching duel so far.

I live in Mississippi just across the Alabama line, but I grew up in Panama City, and Pensacola areas of Florida.

Our family is worried about our place in Jupiter as well. We’re not far from the ocean and the intracoastal but nobody is there so it’s just a concern about the place.

D says:
    October 5, 2016 at 9:25 pm

I live in Mississippi

well now, that explains a whole lot

113. dcoralsprings says:

Going to need a snorkel and fins !
    The way this one is looking we will be outside of the large wind speed
    But I expect a lot of water
    We moved up to the Loxahatchee area last year
    And our 1-1/2 acres are loaded with trees
    Let it blow, let it blow, let it blow

Be safe all, and remember after the storm be SMART
    That’s where most incidents occur

114. Rhino says:

Hey Mets fans here… wow, what a game for single-game elimination. damn!

Hey FLA brothers and sisters, be careful and stay safe! Hope everyone makes it through this OK.

Really great game if you like pitching and drama in baseball. The Giants got the big hit, really big hit – 3 run HR. Baumgarner is amazing. He gets it done every time. Thor was awesome, still 0-0 after 7. The Mets getting to this game was gravy to me with all the injuries they had this year. Thanks guys, you made a great run and made it fun two years in a row now.

Hey Dolphins, have some pride and get into the mix.

117. 81Howie says:

Rock is in the worst place in the state MikeE Right on the coast.
    Hope you are heading inland today Rock…

118. 81Howie says:

30 dollars for a 24pack of water
    WTF!

LOOKS LIKE Matthew could score a direct hit on the Palm Beaches. This could be one of the worst days in my life. Gotta go to work and focus on the convention in Lakeland today through Sunday. All my Dolphin brethren in south Florida, including my sister and brother-in-law, will be in my thoughts today. Be safe!! Hope our house is still standing tomorrow in West Palm.

Randy says:
    October 5, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Randy I saw New England Run some plays against him where he had no chance whatever decision he made was the wrong decision by the design of the offensive play we had him fall into a Zone and Belichick have the tight end in the wide receiver cross directly in front of him if he leaned right towards one player or lean left towards the other player the quarterback would throw the other direction quickpass 8 yard completion plus yards after the catch

They did it again and again and our defensive coordinator didn’t make any changes