Game Wrap Up with the Little Prawn: Steelers @ Dolphins

steelers-at-dolphins

The Dolphins went into their 3rd home game of the season with a pitiful 1-4 record.

But that hasn’t stopped many Dolfans from supporting their team including the Little Prawn –  But you know…

I haven’t seen Prawny since the Tennessee loss.

I hope he didn’t take that loss so badly

What?!?!

NO PRAWNY DON’T DO IT!

prawnwalesuicide

Oh My….

Well after throwing himself into a whale’s mouth, I guess Prawny can still watch the game…

That’s a loyal little shellfish

prawnwatching-tv

And what a game it was

Where to start?

Oh Yeah…On the obvious!

ajayi3-copy

Jay Ajayi had 204 rushing yards on 25 carries.  What a day!

In this photo a Happy Prawny guides Ajayi to the end zone on a long TD run.

Ajayi’s day was one of the the best rushing days in Dolphins history.  It reminded a lot of us of the days of Ricky Williams.

Ajayi actually had over 8 yards a carry – and he just kept going and going!

ol-v-steelers2-copy

Here Prawny points out what a great job the Offensive Line did for Ayaji.

Albert – Tunsil – Pouncey – Bushrod – James

That was the vision in the offseason and Sunday was the first time we saw it and it worked!

It wasn’t just the ground game – the Dolphins did not give up a sack on Sunday

WTF!

I didn’t know that was possible.

tanny-v-steelers-copy

And that helped Ryan Tannehill a lot.

Tannehill did not have a spectacular day.

He didn’t throw a TD or break 300 yards.  But he was solid.

Escaping pressure, hitting tight ends you didn’t even know were on the roster, and he didn’t turn the ball over once.

Tannehill’s day could have looked statistically better but for some drops.

But the formula on Sunday worked

RUN THE BALL!

Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Miami Dolphins

The Dolphins on the other hand did have a few sacks.

In fact, Rothlisberger had to leave the game in the 2nd quarter

But he returned….to throw some interceptions

I would not call it a dominant performance on defense, but considering the Steelers have one of the NFL’s top offenses, holding the Steelers to under 300 yards was quite an achievement.

Antonio Brown was held to under 40 yards receiving.

The Steelers passed for under 200 yards on that day.

And despite missing some opportunities to score, the Dolphins won!

maxresdefault

701 Responses to Game Wrap Up with the Little Prawn: Steelers @ Dolphins

October 17, 2016 at 10:24 pm
    Lou, yes stats can can be looked at in a lot of ways. But until we have 2-3 more good rushing performances, I don’t view us as a consistent rushing team. Yesterday was a good start though. Let’s keep that starting OL on the field for a few games at the least and see what happens.
    ____________________
    The thing is we don’t know how good our running game really is/was because we never gave it a chance until Sunday. We can’t only run the ball when we’re seeing results like we did on Sunday. We need to continue to run it even when we’re down by a few points. The Cincy game is a perfect example. Ajayi was averaging 5.5 yds per carry but he only got 6 touches. We were in the game right into the fourth qtr but didn’t run the ball more. Ajayi also had 42 yds in the TEN game and probably could have had a 100 yd day there to but they decided to abandon the run.
    What I’m also saying here is abandoning the run is a good part of the reason why we lost games. You can’t be one dimensional and you can look at it and say we weren’t doing anything but you don’t know if your rb is only getting 6 touches. Can’t let the defense just pin their ears back and send everyone because you’re passing on every down out of the shotgun. Doesn’t work that way.
    Yeah, the game we just had has a lot to do with the stats but the running game could have been more effective thru the first few games but they kept screwing with it.
    However, I think we’re a better running team than people think

2. Zach Cunningham and guys like him that are available in the first round is exactly the reason why I think we should trade Pouncey. If we could get a first round pick for him or even a high 2nd rd pick that we can use to get back into the first round and get two solid defensive players it will make a huge difference.
    We could possibly get ourselves a shutdown corner and a lb or two lb’s. Maybe get a DE and a LB. There’s a few different combinations of what we could do there. And, in the 2nd rd we could come back and get our replacement C for Pouncey in either Pocic or Elfein. Personally I don’t think Sunday’s performance was as much about Pouncey as it was the ENTIRE line being together and if anyone was balling on Sunday out of any of them it was Tunsil getting to the 2nd level like he was. I also think people are wrong about Steen because the coaches say otherwise. If Pouncey stays healthy the remainder of the season and the o-line stays in tact and performs well from here on out I’d trade him in a heartbeat.

I think Steen is a great player, I have been talking about wanting to see them bring him up since he was put on the PS a couple years ago. I also think he would be better at OG, which is his natural position.

The thing with Pouncey isn’t his physical ability, and there are players in the NFL and in college draft next year ago are going to match him that way. What makes him special, and again I have never thought he was someone to trade, is that he command that OL and he reads the defensive lineups and calls out protection changes. They played a lot better with him in specially because of that.

Tunsil was balling, but he was playing well back when Steen was in there. This isn’t condemnation of Steen, it’s saying Steen is a great OL because his blocking was solid but he just has never been called on to lead an OL like that. Could he get there, yeah I think so, but it won’t be for a while. Pouncey is an elite player. Pocic is really good too, I wouldn’t mind drafting him to play alongside Pouncey, learn the position and then be next man up.

BA won’t be here forever, so it would be nice to have it so we have a guy like Steen ready to take over for Tunsil, when Tunsil eventually replaces BA, and Pocic ready to replace Pouncey if that ever is needed, but to do like Tunsil and play RG until needed at OC.

This is how we become stable at the OL spots, with starting caliber guys in depth level 2

HEY LOU; MUCH respect for you and your opinions. But given this O-Line’s history of frequent injuries, I believe Miami needs to KEEP STEEN at least until we have acquired someone who has proven they are a better O-Line player than STEEN. Lack of quality depth in the O-Line killed us the first 5 games. It can KILL US AGAIN unless we have solid quality back-up players.
    ———————–
    SUNDAY’s game likely will hinge on which team runs the ball better AND which team can do a better job of STOPPING THE RUN. THIS IS BIG-BOY FOOTBALL!!! THIS IS kind of a throw back to the early ’70’s when the Dolphins controlled BOTH SIDES OF THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE! —WHO will control the lines of scrimmage?

Pretty much what I said to him OD in my reply above. Steen woukd be great backup quality for now with replacement ability once we can draft a guy like Pocic to play behind him or start at RG

• Adam Gase said that Steen had absolutely no problem calling out the protections when he took over for Pouncey. Steen did an excellent job in pass protection and was more than adequate in run blocking.
        I agree that his natural position is at G and wouldn’t start him at C. I’m just saying we’ve got a guy who has some trade value who hasn’t played a full season for us in quite some time and we should try to unload him if we can get decent trade value for him; especially with Elfein and Pocic being available in the draft. Personally, I think Pocic is a better prospect than Pouncey was coming out.

• I never said anything about getting rid of Steen. I said we should trade Pouncey.

We may have ability to make a trade at the end of the year, I doubt it would be Pouncey but when at the end of the year, a team is making a playoff run and they are weak in a critical area, or they have an injury to a critical player, we may have the chance to get some picks of that team by trading someone like Williams or Wake, maybe Maxwell, etc. I kinda hope it’s isn’t Wake or Williams but pass rush becomes a luxury item and playoff bound teams will want to add talent there to get them over a hump

Usually push for playoff run is for a defensive guy and generally CB or DE

• Where Wake is concerned though it’s just like having an automobile that you can still get some good trade in value on because of it’s condition and mileage because if you wait longer the trade value vs what you owe on it isn’t going to be anywhere near as good.
      With Wake being at the end of his career and this team desperately needing pieces to get it to another level why not trade him if you can and go after a younger guy who can help you and at least will be around longer than another two seasons at the most.
      Yeah, you can say the draft is a crapshoot but you’ve got to keep reloading with young talent unlike what they are doing with the aging guys like Williams and Foster year after year who’s careers are pretty much over.
      We’ve got a shot to put a pretty good dent in the holes in this team if we do it right in the upcoming draft and I’d rather go that way than keep guys around who’s status is kind of fuzzy.
      When I hear people talk about going after more high priced FA’s it makes me cringe. We pay them and they don’t show up.

D

You don’t think a team would want Suh, or do you think we wouldn’t trade him, or do you think he wouldn’t fit under the cap?

Its multi-layer with me. I dont feel like we should trade him first. The guy is ballin, and like i said before i dont know what part of what he is doing is not see ans pretty damn amazing stuff. He is a guy to build around not trade.

Secondly, i doubt we could find a partner that would give us value for him. I really dont think a first rounder would justify the trade, not unless it was a flipping top 5ish pick and those teams arent going to want he price tag on what for them is a upcoming rebuild year. Maybe you could get a team like GB to be interested, but they aren’t going to be picking that high, and truthfully that’s not GB’s way of doing things.

Thirdly, it sets us in a cap hole. Its equivalent to cutting him, which means that next year we would have a almost 42miliion dollar dead money cap hit, vs 19million cap hit if we just kept him.

Oh shoot, I didn’t realize that. I have to say, I still don’t get the financials on trades. Yeah, if that’s the case, it’s not going to happen. Can’t happen actually. I think a team that was at the cusp of making a SB run would be willing to trade for him, maybe give up as much as a 1st RD in ’17, and a 2nd in ’18, but the cap hit we would have to take if you’re right is insanity. He is playing well, it’s not that I don’t want him, but if we’re thinking about breaking stuff and trading guys to get the most back, I would think Suh would be at the top of that list. Especially now that Reshad Jones is injured. Wake might fetch something back, but IMO, nowhere near the haul Suh would bring back.

Can you explain to me exactly how the cap hit on a trade works? Mike Asks . . . 🙂

Lou, its become kind of personal with me wanting to hang on to Wake and thats unlike me.

To go back to your car analogy, so you have this car, you love this car, you have gone everywhere in this car, you named it Brad, and this car doesnt have a lot left, so trade in value wont be great on Brad, even if it could kind of help you get some equity that might help you put to a new fancier ride. Its just hard knowing you are selling Brad at the end of his long time with you, just so he can get junked in a year or two after the new owner has burned up what was left of his bearings and gears, or got their own new car and decided to junk him. It also feels wrong even thinking about doing that to Brad, but i do know that sometimes you just got to move on before you are left with Brad as a lawn ornament of your own, and then you still have the hard decision of being the guy who decided to junk him.

I guess if value is there, its something to consider, but it would have to be really solid value. Id keep Williams personally, i think he has plenty left in the tank, though it possible he would get even more value than Wake will, just due to durability.

I think Pocic is a better overall center coming out of college, but system wise Pouncey was and is better. We were running an WCO, Pocic is not as good as Pouncey for WCO. Now that we run a hybrid, i would say that Pouncey’s leadership, and NFL development is more valuable. I might bring Pocic as an OG stand in, and then use him as hier apparent for Pouncey, IF it becomes too much to re-sign Pouncey and we have to part ways for that reason, or critical injury replacement who moves int the role of the starter. I think there is more value for Pouncey as our OC right now than we would get in trade for him.

Interesting trade Packers and Chiefs. I think Knile Davis might do well for the Pack. They’re pretty desperate right now. I wish they asked for Arian Foster, I’d be happy to oblige them!

Yeah when i saw that i was feeling this is really good for Knile Davis and GB with his skill set. I thought the Cheifs actually got not a lot in return for him, but he had fallen pretty low on their depth chart so wasnt like they were using him much anyways.

The cap hit is based upon what current guarantees are and what the prorated amounts are. For example if he has guarantees and signing bonuses still yet to be paid, those get paid out all at once if a team decides to cut or trade them. Sometimes in trades you get teams negotiate who pays what for the guarantees, but its rare for the receiving team to agree to accept part of the cap hit when they are already giving up other stuff to get the player. I really don’t think a team, just for a playoff run would part with so much for Suh, and accept the contract he has. I am thinking they might give us a first, but its going to be a low round first because the team is a playoff bound team, making it of course, not really as valuable as keeping him and building the D around him.

IF the plan is to switch to a 3-4, something not natural for him to play in, i think thats when the decision starts to make sense, even though the cap hit brings us back down to reality that no, it really doesnt make sense. In the case we switch to 3-4 though, we are pretty much gutting everything but the secondary. None of our LB’s are your typical 3-4, even in a wide 9 3-4 concept. We might have a couple of guys who would stay out of that unit but really its would be a whole new crop of guys. Secondary could remain the same except they havent really be reliable and would need to go regardless of 3-4, 4-3, concepts. Phillips could play NT, so he would stay, maybe Mitchell, though he really didnt excel in 3-4 while at Houston, our entire DE unit is more 4-3 than 3-4, so it would really shake that up, and we would have to go big at 3-4 OLB, because most the 3-4 concepts require those guys to be elite. We would go from wanting Reuben Foster to REALLY wanting Tim Williams and probably Ryan Anderson, for example.

To further break it down, we have to pay his 2017 guaranteed amount of 9.985mil salary. We also have to pay out the prorated signing bonus of 9.1 mil X 3 for what was going to be spread out over 2017, 2018, and 2019, and the 4mil signing bonus amount that was due 2020. Totals 41.285 mil.

If we keep him, we pay the 9.985 mil guaranteed money, and 9.1mil pro-rate, plus a 15k workout bonus. so really 19.1 mil

Thanks D! Appreciate the effort. That makes a lot of sense, although I have to be honest, for some reason, this info probably won’t be retained. It’s like something that just doesn’t want to sink in for me for some reason.

Its cool man, it is pretty confusing. Easiest way to remember it is pretty much same rules, cut vs trade is same difference unless the teams can agree to share the responsibility of the guarantees.

Why are we always trying to trade good players? So we can replace them with maybes?

Trades can help, but IMO you have to be fleecing someone for it to really pay off. The Eagles trade of Bradford, perfect example of a good trade. It has turned out well for both teams, but it was a straight up fleecing from the Eagles perspective. They had their replacement for him, they had their chance to get picks for the future, it works out, but its really because Bradford wasnt in a future plan, and its because the Vikings were pretty desperate.

Example i was talking about was if we found a team, getting poised for a playoff run and we got a 1st rounder for Wake or Williams, or Maxwell (suspend your ideas of if this could or would happen) then basically we have some talented guys, who arent in our future plans because of age or fit for system, whatever reason, and we get probably better than we should expect value because the other team is in a desperate place, i make that trade even for a maybe guy with promise. If i trade Wake and i get apick that allows me to get Mylse Garrett, or even packaged together with other picks means i get him, or even Derek Barnett, i essentially am getting potential year 1 replacement for Wake for Wake. There are times it makes sense because it gives you a low to no cost for change of the guard.

I don’t think the team has any plans to trade Pouncey. The OL is finally in place so now we’ll start trading them? I think I’d take a bet that won’t be happening. 🙂

Its also extremely rare to see an OL being traded for for a playoff run. You normally see play-makers in those type of trades. Pouncey kind of trade would be an off-season move.

As well as we are blowing up this OL and starting from scratch move too. You would see BA likely traded or cut first since we have a potential replacement for him on the team.

As i said to Mike, only way Suh is on the docket for trade is if its a ridiculous number of picks, and possibly a player swap to go with it, even then we would have to weight out the cap hit which isnt at all going to feel like anything less painful than an ass rape by time we try to make additional moves this off-season. I dont see how its even conceivable, and i think it would be a very bad idea.

Pouncey i think is a similar thing, though the feasibility is there given his cap hit wont be as hard as Suh’s. We would actually clear up cap space trading him, but to me thats not the point with him, the point with him is, when he plays we play a lot better, he has more value than cap space and more value than any rookie, despite how goodhe is would be able to replace day 1. That would be a rebuild move, and not even close to the first one id make, even if i were going that route.

October 18, 2016 at 12:48 pm

duh, dont you know, the fins can get 82 first round picks for trading under performing players

That would be a fun day 1 of the draft even if it did take 8 hours to do, cause you know the Phins would need all 10 minutes to pick even if no one else was picking.

We are over $13M under the cap. A lot more will be coming off in 2017.

Tim we are probably going to be in the neighborhood of 27-30mil cap space by the beginning of FA. We have room to get a couple really nice pieces and some quality depth players.

16. 81Howie says:

Afternoon Update
    DOLPHINS-BILLS
    Rock 37-17 BUF
    Old 23-20 BUF
    Piggy 24-23 MIA
    B’man 38-13 BUF
    Howie 27-24 MIA
    MikeE 23-20 MIA
    GO PHINS!!!

D,
    And this is the same Pouncey that has been a part of pretty bad OL play since he’s arrived. He’s not elite. He’s quite average when you look at his whole game. I don’t get the fascination with this guy. Calling out protections isn’t that difficult a thing to do. I don’t see Pouncey standing out in that area given our OL protection issues over the years. I also seriously doubt his leadership qualities. Again, he’s been a part of some bad OL play and some sad OL issues overall. Where has that leadership been? Is it because he gives his fellow players a discount on their roofies and let’s them sleep on his couch after getting wasted at one of his house parties?

What consistent OL has he ever been a part of? Think about all the lineup changes since he’s been here.

I also believe Pouncey is well respected throughout the league. His biggest critics have always been Dolfans.

It’s always something with you. Usually it’s always the OL that makes everything worse! And now….the OL is the excuse for an OL. Hater! Lol

I have pointed out the OL woes and injuries and change for years man. It’s nothing personal. They have not had a starting group to build chemistry in I don’t know how long. That’s different than analyzing their play week to week. We just played the projected 5 starters this past Sunday for the first time.

Sorry…gotta run…don’t have time for D to compose his 10 page response. lol

The OL has it’s best game in years
    And you guys want to start trading all of them? Lol

I love the draft as much as the next pig

But slow down
    Let’s see how this unit performs as a unit

If we manage to turn this season around, no one will be getting traded, I think most of us, at least I was, talking about if we were like 1-5, but that’s not happening now anyway. Trade deadline is next week. If we lose real badly to the Bills, I suppose a trade is still possible, but big trades are unlikely.

If we run for 200 yards and don’t give up a sack next week

Im never touching this OL
    I’m leaving it alone and saying “finally it begins to pay off”

In fact I might even spend cap space to invent soemthing to make them young again so we get more out of them for years

I tend to think a large chunk of cap space spent on the OL is a good model for success
    I also tend to think that not changing the parts on the OL is a good model for success

We can sit back and argue who is overrated and overpaid all day

I wouldn’t trade anyone on the O-line, but there are a few guys I would trade.

The value you get in return should be the only factor

Not cap space – we are okay
      Not how much $ they make
      And not whether they underperform according to arbitrary standards

Everyone has potential to be moved
      But please do it for value

No more Vontae Davis type trades

Build off the players we have a bring more talent around that

If some how the opportunity comes up to have multiple early picks – I would love it, but let’s not be naive about it

When you blow things up, you are usually doing it for garage sale prices

I agree 100% We’d only be making a deal if it really benefits us. We have no need to trade otherwise.

Chris Culliver back to practice, Dion FF still M.I.A. I wish I could just forget about him already.

Dion FF was seen last shitting in all your dreams

When Gase was asked what the difference was on offense this week he said with no hesitation the 5 starters on the OL. He had no problem basically saying the talent level is different. If we started trading any of those guys I think he’d say WTF and resign. LOL

Mike, Dion Jordan had another procedure on his knee recently. That guy is really taking bust to another level. SMH

D says:
    October 18, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Pouncey has been on OL’s with Thomas and Turner. you can be a great player and leader and with those two still have a putrid OL unit as a whole. Ill take this last game as the beginning of an example of a OL unit that has quality players with a true leader back on the field. Even with Steen previously, who is a good OL they looked way better with Pouncey. Steen had this same unit around him.

LOL @ Jets fans calling for Bowles to be fired.

Well and im waiting for the people who still feel we should have kept Bowles as our coach. The guy is a solid coach, but in between the knee jerk of them wanting him gone after a really damn good year last year, and the hindsight of dolphins fans after last year lives the reality, he was no more a sure fire bet as a coach as anyone else.

Yeah i think if we are involved in a trade its probably one of 3 guys, and may be more like one guy.

Im thinking if we do a trade it will invole Williams, Wake or Maxwell, and yeah i think it depends on not just win or loss next week, but how we, and they play. If those players arent moving the dial for us, and it looks like we might still fall short of any realistic bounce back this year, we probably look to move one and start focusing on adding pieces for next year.

I think Steen could be a really solid LG, maybe even a starter. I feel he is probably as good as Bushrod as is, but Bushrods is very slowly starting to get the OG spot. I saw some ugly out of him last game but it still was an improvement.

Ill go back to that twist play that wound up being a QB hit. The pocket was escapable, and the pressure too a good bit to actually get there so it was partially just coverage factors that let it happen, but Bushrod, were he a real OG would have reacted differently when that twist occurred. James had his guy locked down and when Bushrod’s guy went the outside to pressure Tanny, a really good OG would have put his hands on James’ guy to make sure he didnt slide to the inside/or make sure James had him to the inside, and then he would have stepped back and cut him off as he tried to get around the outside on the pressure. Bushrod actually should have had an advantage on that play since he is faster than a typical OG, with fleeter footwork to boot. I have seen Tunsil make that same play on the left side. Lots of factors at work but thats where Bushrod is still learning the position.

D, I’ve listened to a lot of NFL discussions this year and a lot of people (former coaches and players) have discussed poor O-lines across the league and the lack of chemistry being the major culprit. Lots of teams are going through growing pains with young but talented players, injuries and limited talent at some positions. But it always comes back to guys playing together for a stretch of games, never mind seasons. Maybe we can finally start building that chemistry and the PIT game was a great start. If that is a sign of things to come I do believe we can rip off a bunch of wins. If it was more of just the right place at the right time against the Steelers, than maybe it was a bit of a mirage. The Bills game will tell us a lot because they do have a good defense.

Its also the kind of defense that will test Tanny because he throws a lot of formations and passive and active blitzing, so will get a good idea if he can read the defense quick enough to overcome what likely will be a pretty active pass-rush.

Ol, especially Bushrod neds to be on notice that there will be LOTS of DL twist plays and they need to know how they are going to handle those, but the quick variety and the slow developing kind.

Early in the game Gase was calling really quick short passes while he tried to establish the running game. As the running game took off the down field passing opened up. I hope we see more of the same against the Bills.

I don’t know about anyone else, but was this Beast Mode? He runs a lot like him. Same types of steps, balance and go.

To be honest i think he looked more like AP than Marshawn Lynch. Lynch would just dig into the holes and root himself out the other side and he was more brute for runner, where as AP looks graceful and powerful at the same time. Ajayi’s stride looke fluid, effortless and yet really powerful.

Yeah if i was calling it, id start with receiver screens and some TE, quick outs and digs, then hammer the run.

October 18, 2016 at 2:41 pm

It’s crazy. Giants fans are also down on Eli AGAIN! LOL

That’s not crazy Tim. Eli is and has been a mediocre QB for 10 years. now.

59.5% completion 3/2 TD to Int ratio and 83.7 passer rating for his career. He is a middle of the pack or lower QB on a good team with a famous name. He is NOT Payton and never has been.

October 18, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Maybe it’s the similar build and dreads. LOL

—————————————-
    thats actually just what i was thinking, most likely. Drake looks more like Jamal Charles, except bigger.

We haven’t seen anyone run with power like Ajayi does in that clip for a long time
    the long run was the least interesting run….lol

What Eli i think has that has made him better than his stats is he does have it in him to bring his team back, he has a way of turning things round both in a season and individually in a game. He has the IT factor, but he is epitome of inconsistent. Romo and he are similar in that respect, very dynamic players just not game in and game out. 5 TD game and then turn around and have a 5 INT game.

BTW, the Giants are my “second” team. They are WAY lower than the Dolphins but I grew up with my Dad & big Brother both being Giants fans. My Dad hates Eli and has for years. You would think he is a Dolphins fan talking about _________ (fill in the blank)

Giants are my 2nd favorite team, and I’m pretty sure Tim as well, and I think Ken too.

He still played great in the SB’s, made the big play when it counted, you have to give him that much.

Im with ya Mike i think he has earned some respect. I know he isnt the QB they wanted him to be or thought he world be, i mean they probablyhad their mind wrapped around getting another Peyton, so really thats his biggest curse is having a HOF QB brother. No way he was going to live up to that, people that watched him in college could have told ya that.

I think Ajayi looks like Ajayi. He doesn’t run quite as strong as beastmode did, but I think he has a little more agility in his steps, and he looks like he can change direction in a short space better than beastmode, but I don’t think he has the same power running straight ahead as Lynch did. He keeps running like he did last week, I don’t care who you compare him too!

October 18, 2016 at 4:48 pm

The “helmet catch” was a great catch. It wasn’t a great throw.

Eli does have a bunch of good QB traits, as i said earlier he just has a tendency to not be consistently good at them lol. He has pretty good pocket presence, he generally gets rid of the ball fast, he reads a defense pretty well. His ball placement is one of his big up and down traits, and of course thats a big one.

I was impressed with Ajayi’s stiff arm. He was using it violently, not just sticking it out there. He was initiating contact. I was digging that!

Talked to Chef Warren earlier. He is hoping you guys are OK with a repeat feature meat from two years ago…..guess he is getting lazy these days since he didn’t want to do the Bison.

Gonna be smoked prime rib.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!~!!++++

sounds tasty to me

Damn Hunter has a really strange stat going…. 2 games played in, 2 receptions, 2 TD

I just looked at a photograph of Jay Ajayi running

And he does look a lot like Jay Ajayi

the resemblance is uncanny

Here is a photo of Jay Ajayi running

Now compare it to this, a photo of Jay Ajayi running

I swear its like watching the same person
    Go ahead guys, tell me I’m wrong

this is getting spooky

They also wear the same number
      have the same initials
      were born in the same year
      parents have the same name
      and both play for a team who’s fans are a bunch of drunks

Is anyone else freaked out by this?

Ajayi and Landry bring a physical presences to this offense we haven’t had in years.

Eli is not a “great” QB but he is one of the most dependable and durable QBs of all time. The Giants and their fans will miss him when he’s gone when they go through 5+ other QBs before they find a decent a one. We know what that’s like.

Also, not just the OL but the TEs and WRs did their job blocking too.

Giants are my 2nd favorite team and Eli is a hell of a good QB

Same here and agreed.

I thought so Ken – I’d take Eli as well. He’s a winner, but like any QB, has his ups and downs.

Eli’s strengths are he’s tough, durable, has a very good deep arm, has been clutch in big games and he’s very good in the 2 minute. He’s not consistently good week in and week out. He’s like a solid starting pitcher during the season but rises to the occasion in the playoffs.

Piggy i hope both of them are on the field this coming Sunday, it will confuse the shit out of the defense.

D, there were some in Giants camp who wanted Big Ben over Eli in 2004.

LOL @ Piggy – The resemblance is uncanny

So what do you guys think, is this starting 5 OL that good or did we catch the Steelers at the right time and place and we’re going to see more struggles against better defenses?

I’m asking because it’s only a one game sample size. Other than the team being 7-1 with Albert, Pouncey and James in the lineup together, and Tannehill’s numbers are significantly better as well. So is the run game. Seems like there may be something to it. 🙂

I think a little of both. Steelers were missing DT/DE Cameron Heyward and LB Ryan Shazier, but still, that doesn’t mean the O-line didn’t do their job well. They were opening big holes, and besides the run blocking, the pass pro was excellent too.

Stanger,

We are okay with whatever Chef Warren cooks.

Speaking of doppelgängers, I saw someone that looked nearly identical to Piggy at the game Sunday. So much so, that i was about to say hi to him.

Stanger

Since I never had the smoked prime rib, it will be just like the first time for me. Seriously, anything you guys do is fantastic!

• Brian in NY says:

You are in for a treat if you have not had Warren’s food yet Mike.

I’m down Bri! Honestly, so looking forward to the festivities! I just bought a football to bring to the tailgate

Nope — Mike E has not been to a Warren tailgate before. Dude belongs to a “dinner club,” owns a smoker and a slicer…who the F does that? Think I help by playing Vice-Principal before, but come game day it is all Chef Wa.

When Ajayi runs like he did on Sunday, he reminds me of Marshawn Lynch.

Stanger, I’m ready brother! I’ll talk to you when I’m in town, but I’d like to know if there’s anything I can do to help in any way. We’ll discuss it in a day or so. I’ll be in Hollywood tomorrow afternoon

Unless I missed something (which would not be a shocker)……all is ready to roll.

Only Q given when you get in is if you want to meet up before the weekend (but no pressure). Assume you have my number.

Sunday’s temps for Tampa Bay: Hi 79, Lo 59. Probably a couple degrees warmer in the Miami Gardens area. Little chance of rain.
    —————————————
    PIGGY; YOU REMEMBER the “Fried Bacon Index,” right?? It was made famous by YOU, Mr. Fernandez, a few Fests ago when you went hatless and the dome of your head resembled Rudolph’s nose on Christmas Day (bright, lobster Red!!). Despite Ken’s best efforts, you got a nasty burn. Well, folks, I’m telling you that a high around 80 is enough to put a SERIOUS BURN ON YOUR NOGGIN, or anything else you expose to south Florida’s burning sun! BRING PLENTY OF SUNSCREEN, along with your favorite chapeau, to the game b/c it will be “BURN, BABY, BURN” at the old ball game!!

The OFFICIAL OLD DOLFAN’S Fried Bacon Index for the Buffalo game is a 9 out of 10. That means you paleface yankees better be ready for “the big burn.” 2-3 hours in the parking lot COULD do any of you some serious harm, so act accordingly. And, no, drinking 5 extra beers will NOT prevent sunburn, y’all got that?????
    —————————————–
    Looking forward to Warren’s Prime Rib meal. But why don’t we say it’s SMOKED BUFFALO MEAT, SLICED UP??? Yes, those wahoos from western New York state might actually BELIEVE it IS Buffalo meat!!!!
    —————————————
    And, finally, anybody wanting to get revenge against me on the pool table is welcome to do so. I have NOT picked up a pool cue in the last two years.

ONE final item: There will be NO hurricanes in the Miami area this weekend. A MAJOR HURRICANE (cat. 3 or higher) has NEVER hit Florida that was born AFTER October 15.–Remember that fact next time you vote FOR a September Fest because September is the PEAK of the hurricane season!

This is my first Fest, so whatever is there for food I am sure will be awesome.
    I am really looking forward to the weekend, I am kind of regretting not flying in on Thursday or Friday

63. 81Howie says:

Nightly Update
    DOLPHINS-BILLS
    Rock 37-17 BUF
    Old 23-20 BUF
    Piggy 24-23 MIA
    B’man 38-13 BUF
    Howie 27-24 MIA
    MikeE 23-20 MIA
    Stang 21-10 MIA
    GO PHINS!!!

Mike,

If you and the wife are looking for something to do, there is a sightseeing boat ride through the canals in Fort Lauderdale that was pretty cool. You see all of the big houses. Apparently, the Huzienga’s own almost everything on the water there. I can get you the name of the boat if your interested.

October 18, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Gonna be smoked prime rib.

What no pork ribs? Ham? Chops? Tenderloin? Shoulder roast? Sausage?

oh never mind, I’ll bring my own.

Hey piggy, you need a ride to the Fest? You can drink as much as you want. I’ll take care of everything. I even have some special lotion for you to rub on.

The Steeler fan in my office says it’s because 6 starters were out on defense. I asked him How many of those players were out at the beginning of the game? He said four. LOL

But basically we were playing against their practice squad according to him. 😉

So Brian and I think Ajayi and Lynch have similar running styles. You know who else does? Eddie Lacey. He’s just the biggest version. They all run wild and forward, bang off of guys and use power, balance and underrated speed. I know it’s only one game for Ajayi but he really showed what he’s about and he’s been flashing until he absolutely exploded Sunday. Not sure to take this lightly or to view him as a new playmaker and core guy?

Rock,
    In the preseason when we were kinda getting an idea of who we had I thought our top 5-6 OL COULD end up being a solid unit by year’s end. It kind of depended on Albert’s health, how Tunsil played his rookie season and whether or not Bushrod could play guard. I have faith in James and Pouncey, when healthy, is good enough.
    ***
    Up until now, Bushrod has struggled a lot, and is still playing like a tackle at guard. He needs to play a lot better. Tunsil has been inconsistent, but he’s a rookie in a tough situation…too early to judge. He definitely belongs in the NFL. Albert has played good but isn’t always out there. He’s a top end LT if he can stay on the field.
    ***
    As for the Pitt game, yeah, they were not playing like themselves. I don’t care who the starters are…take four off anybody’s defense and they are gonna struggle. But, our OL and offense took advantage of that…just as they should. That’s just football.
    ***
    Now the nitpicking. As good as we ran the ball we were still struggling at times to control the inside zone. We also did a lot of misdirection runs…which I love….but once you start doing it frequently….teams game plan to stop it. So, it works really well that first game you do it a lot, especially against backups….then kinda tapers off as team’s key on it and have a backside defender there. Our protection was good, but it was helped by a lot of quick throws, finally, and broke down a little when time was needed…but better than most games. I thought gameplan, QB and OL worked better as a unit than we’ve seen in a long time. As I said the other day, now it’s a matter of whether or not this offense can adjust to the adjustments our opponents make. That’ s the fun of football! To me, last game was a step in the right direction…we’ll see what they do with it.

69. Phindog says:

OD.. as far as pool.. I’ll be your Huckleberry!! Last time we played I scratched the 8. You did rule the table that night and it was two years ago.. I would definitely enjoy a rematch.. Game On !! 🎱

70. Phindog says:

Rock .. ask your Steelers Buddy what the score was 😎

Randy, so the Phins weren’t perfect? LOL

Cool stuff but not for the old school. LOL

There’s pool at these festicals? Why didn’t someone tell me?

YESTERDAY AFTERNOON I went to the ESPN web page where EVERY ESPN BASEBALL “expert” (ABOUT 5-6 OF THEM) picked the Cubbies to beat L.A. in game 3 of the NLCS. –That’s a SURE SIGN the Cubs are gonna lose, in my book! Sure enough. the Dodgers buried the Cubs 6-0 and now lead the NLCS 2 games to 1. The big bats of Chicago have been SHUT OUT TWO CONSECUTIVE GAMES!!!!! Tonight, the Cubs will be heavily favored again. But, will “Dem Bums” prove the “EX-SPURTS” wrong, again???

75. Okay, I know it’s only his first game back but before everyone gets all happy about Pouncey and giving him high fives and kudos he was a weak link in the run game and he was the guy who was pushed back into Tannehill’s face on the play Tannehill had the long pass to Gray where RT bounced off the defender. So, let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.

Every player has bad plays in a game. I’m not really saying this OL unit is fixed nor am I saying Pouncey is THE reason it seemed more cohesive and managed, but on both accounts the needle is pointing that direction as of right now. It will take several game to truly solidify any argument, including the if Tanny is able to run this offense argument. Nothing says that yet, it only makes that the beginning of developing that argument. If that makes sense….

The any given Sunday rule throws a wrench into many generalization anyone can make with regards to any one game

• Pouncey had no push whatsoever in the run game which is the way he’s played his entire career. He’s got no strength. Again, I know it’s his first game back so we’ll see how he does the remainder of the season but what I saw is actually typical Pouncey so maybe he’s healthy and it’s the best we’ll get from him. My biggest hope for Pouncey is he’s worth a first round pick in a trade and we take it.

• bookman11 says:

I am just being happy that they won convincingly by pounding the ball at times, and not giving up a sack. I personally do not look for a week link or necessarily hand out individual kudos after a performance like that…I just enjoy that they seemed to play well as a group, and enjoy that at least for one week.

What I don’t like about the evolution of the 1 handed catch is that it’s for highlight reels and showboating now. They literally practice it, so it’s not necessity, is on purpose a lot of times. I’m on with them practicing it for the start if case, but I’d hate to know they ever forgo a good technique catch for the sake of making a highlight.

77. The more I see Dorian Johnson play G for Pitt the more I want him in the draft. Currently the #72 overall prospect on CBSSports.com he’s dropped a bit for no reason and I expect him to move up because the kid is just a beast at G.

Sometimes these guys just dropped because of the performance of the team and the record the team has more so than their own individual performances. Pre-draft rankings are kind of like the whole system the NCAA has prior to Bowl championship time. It is a lot of opinion based off not very skilled estimators and when you get to draft you have better evaluators to finalize their rankings. Ultimately none of that matters it only matters what team has them at what rank on their big board

79. PFT asking this morning which veteran player should be traded before the deadline and plenty of people saying ……………Cam Wake.

80. Wake to the Eagles makes sense for two reasons. One, they like to trade with us for some reason and two, Eagles can use some pass rush help. They’re not a bad team this year and have a real shot at the playoffs so bring in a guy who can help you get there just like the Broncos with Ware.

What do we get from the Eagles?

They do have 2 first rounders after the Bradford trade
      So they may be willing to trade draft picks

81. But, in addition, not only are you getting some value for Wake while you can but with the team going nowhere this year trading Wake to a contender gives him the opportunity to go to a team that’s got a shot at doing something and possibly getting him a ring before he’s finished.

82. ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3m
    3 minutes ago

Dolphins running back Jay Ajayi named AFC offensive player of the week

Defensively the steelers have not been so good

I really like their LBs
    But it’s not showing up on the field

BTW according to all the injury reports I saw
    No one was out for the steelers last Sunday
    And we had a ton of injuries
    Bud I guess that doesn’t count guys on IR
    Bud Dupree has been out all season and will be
    So it’s not like that will change in 2016

I’m not sure who didn’t play for the steelers ordinarily would have other than Dupree

Good to see Ajayi win Offensive POW. He deserves it!🏈💥

Can you guys leave the team alone??? If they are winning I don’t want to change a thing.

• If they were winning it would be a different story. Also, if the team didn’t need to fill so many holes it would be a different story but it’s all about building the team for the future with this team right now. Definitely need two guards, two defensive ends and two linebackers and at least one TE and another rb.
      So, a team looking to make a playoff and SB run thinking Wake is the missing piece offering something good enough is a better deal than keeping Wake around just to try and win a few extra games this season.
      Let’s stop living in the past already and also give Wake the shot he deserves to possibly get a ring too.

Let’s see how much they win first

The trade line is coming up
      So you never know what some team that thinks they are on the verge are willing to give up

We aren’t on the verge
      But we may be building something that we might nt want to disrupt
      So good oink on that point

It’s kind of a balancing act IMO
      We can’t miss an opportunity of its there for us
      But we should not disrupt a good thing either

• bookman11 says:

This is pretty much how I feel. I really don’t like the trade deadline as it exists today. I know they moved it a few weeks, but I wish it would be even further along in the season. (Maybe week 10 or 11)

• it’s true it all depends on what someone would be willing to give up but if the opportunity presents itself and is just too good to pass up there’s no reason to let the opportunity go by.
        if someone is willing to give up a high enough pick I’d go for it. opportunity lost. it’s like the future value of money vs it’s present value. keeping Wake for this year and next may get us two or three more wins but what does getting someone who can make an impact for the next 8-10 years mean to the team in comparison.

86. ProfessorLou ‏@philmamouffarts now
    LOL. People who think Burfict is a dirty player were never around to watch football in the 70’s.

We can use some draft picks as well
    The Carroo trade up gave up our 3rd and 4th didn’t it?
    We have comp picks coming (Miller and Vernon) but that’s basically like replacing thos etraded away picks

Tannebaum….sigh

Herd:
    The win was nice but I am not ready to say that we shouldn’t blow this up. They string a few more wins like this and maybe Bruce Banner comes back

Bookman

there are some excellent sources for pig materials available

90. ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2m
    2 minutes ago

The Jets have made the switch at quarterback

NFL trade deadline is a non event. The most significant deals get done in the off season. I would not expect any significant movement at the deadline even if we are in blow it up mode

• bookman11 says:

There was a conversation about this on the radio this morning. if the deadline was pushed closer to the playoffs, there may be more teams (potential Playoff Teams) wanting to trade for that last piece of the puzzle, or have a need based on injury and are kind of desperate.

• bookman11 says:

The point being made is that, pushing it further into the season, may make the trade deadline more relevant.

92. Personally, I think The Golden Oink is a much more prestigious award than being named player of the week. Who cares about that shit?

93. the Jets make the switch to Geno just in time for him to beat us again like he always does.

From reading some articles it seems like the bills are looking past the dolphins this weekend.

95. Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 12s
    12 seconds ago

Reshad Jones is out for the remainder of the season, per league source.

and there you have it. With Michael “Jimmy Wilson” Thomas being his replacement it doesn’t look good

I don’t think you can have the trade deadline at the playoffs. I think makes it too likely that a team just tries to rent players.

jones being out is gonna really hurt. It would have been worse if we were actually contenders this year.

If i were the Eagles, losers of 2 straight i would eval my team and see why i felt like i wasn’t getting it done. They have to stop this bleeding ASAP and still have playoff aspirations. That division is going to be a tough one to get back into without upping their game very very soon. The desperation should be there. You do have to consider, however, that maybe they will take a playoff run isnt a pressure situation for them, they may not feel like selling off a chance to get the team in an even better place next year by adding a couple new weapons, out weighs the here and now playoff shot. I dont know where they are, i know their fans are pretty desperate, due to the Chip Kelly years not really living up to expectations, but how desperate…not sure.

I checked their roster and they have Brandon Graham and Conner Barwin, both good DE’s, but also both hold overs from the the years in a 3-4 scheme. Graham is having an great year in transition, 3 sacks, 10th in the NFL in hurries, He has been harassing the shit out of QB’s from the left side. Barwin, looks to be rotating with Curry, and neither is getting much done from the right side. They could probably use Wake, or even better fit for them would be Williams (i still believe he would be dominating for us from the right, instead of playing on the left), as their team is latter half of the league in QB hits, despite a really great year by Graham.

They only have 1 1st Piggy, they didn’t have any until the trade with Minnesota got them one back. They traded their original pick to the Browns so they could get the number 2 overall pick. They will only have Minnesota’s 1st, which given how Minnesota is playing, could easily be a 26-32 1st. Wake or Williams are proven commodities at pass rush that would be better than most anything they would get in the draft at that spot, so it might make sense for them to do that, but again, it really comes own to a desire to sacrifice future for here and now. What would be the minimum you thinkwe should take in trade, and do you think Philly is in a position, team wise, to make that sacrifice. Its possible i guess but there are about as many things i think that could make it happen as it is things that wont.

Just one more day and then I am Florida bound

FEST IS HERE

Is the Bills game on Saturday, Oct 23 at one.

Tickets

We have a three-row block in Sec 315 on the aisle towards the 50. That’s on the 15 on the visitors side. They are just like last year’s ‘cept other end of the field.
    Will have tickets a Sat night meet-up and tailgate. $65 each (bring cash please)

Tailgate

Chef Warren tailgate as usghe — will be set up by ten.
    Bring your own drinks and get your beer the night before (can;t get on Sunday till noon).
    Are shooting to set up at West 23, which is accessed by Gate 5 (see link to parking map)
    Ken will get out via text or phone exactly where we do set up (will not be sure till we do).
    Ken needs your info ASAP if he does not already have.

(NOTE — Orange lot accesible by Gates 10 or 11 is now a cash parking lot as well)

Sat Night Meet-Up

Same Bat Tme and Channel as last year..
    Saturday, October 22 from 6-10 at

Dave & Busters
    3000 Oakwood Blvd.
    Hollywood, FL 33020
    954-923-5505

Walk in the door and go past the front desk (don’t go into the main bar). We’ll be set up with some substantial nibbles (same ones as last year) and cash drink service down the short stairs on the right to the pool table — just across from the small bar to the left.

TobaBus

Manitoba is setting up a Fest Bus (or maybe van) from La Quinta in Hollywood (where a bunch of folks are staying) to the game. Cost will be about $20 per person. Even if you aren’t staying there, you could park at the hotel and have your ride to the game. If you want in he needs to know how big a vehicle to reserve…..so let him know even if you don’t want a seat.

IN
    Mike E (+1)
    markeyh
    Al in MIA (+1)
    Toba (+1)
    Phindog (+2)
    Bookman

If I were the Eagles the last thing I would do is start trading away picks and go into a win now mode. They have a young QB who is going to take time to develop. Save your picks to surround him with talent and build a team that will be contender for a number of years to come. They are not winning it this year with a rookie QB.

I think Brady went to the SB in year 2
      It’s not crazy
      If you add a vet pass rusher with a day 2 pick, do you think you could have added a 10 sack guy with that draft pick in 2017

When you start the year like the Eagles did, I think you call yourself contenders

Same
      With the Vikings

Who’s their competition in the NFC right now: Falcons? Cowboys?

It seems like the NFC has some new blood near the top
      Why not Eagles?

The Pats with Brady was the exception and not the rule. Also the Pats did not make any significant trades during their first SB run. They built a dynasty by not trading away pics

• One of Philly’s biggest issues in the last game vs the Skins was the inability to get pressure on Cousins. No sacks in that game. Their pass rush isn’t there right now.

With Jones out – trading players seems a little more acceptable

Hopefully Geno doesn’t have a perfect QB rating against us again

But the first MetLife takeover I went to was total domination of Geno

It’s worked both ways with him

Some one has a message for Geno Smith

105. I just threw Philly out there as an example. There may be a better example than Philly and it’s also just a bunch of speculation at this time. I’m just saying that if the opportunity were to present itself do you take the opportunity or forgo the opportunity to possibly get a player in the draft who can help you going forward?
    what if we were able to trade him for a 2nd and then with that 2nd get DeMarcus Walker in the draft? He would be our future at one DE position and it could probably be well worth it. That’s all I’m saying. Again, all speculation, and I’m just throwing it out there as a scenario. Someone else did this awhile ago so it’s not the first time it’s been suggested.

Teams that I can see making a move are the Steelers. Ben is getting older and more injury prone so they need to see if making a move gets them over the hurdle. Ditto the Giants. Maybe the Ravens. I can see the Falcons trying to make a move.

• you may be right. I’m just saying that if the opportunity presents itself do you say no if it’s a good enough offer just because you might win a couple extra games this year with Wake you wouldn’t have otherwise won?
        I don’t think so. If the opportunity is there and it’s a good enough offer you use it to build your future. If you see players in the draft you feel strongly can help your team and think you’ve got a good shot at landing one of them then you take the offer.
        Just like JT, Wake is a Phin and will always be a Phin no matter where he goes.

• by the way, Ben is out 4-6 weeks.

106. Antwan V. Staley ‏@antwanstaley 40s
    40 seconds ago

Chris Culliver said he won’t do everything in practice today but he will participate in practice activities today

107. Antwan V. Staley ‏@antwanstaley 26s
    27 seconds ago

Culliver said he is super over the top ready to get back on the field

Wow Ben is out that long? The Steelers sure didn’t seem very confident in Landry Jones throwing the ball much when he had to come in.

Piggy, Philly traded up with the Brows for 2nd overall pick to get Wentz. They swapped 2016’s, and they gave up their 2017 1st. Minnesota traded their 2017 1st to Philly for Bradford, so they have a 2017 1st rounder, but not 2, and they have Minnesota’s pick, not their own.

110. Antwan V. Staley ‏@antwanstaley 6m
    6 minutes ago

Jay Ajayi: I don’t want to be one-hit wonder.

111. SportsCenter
    Verified account
    ‏@SportsCenter
    THIS JUST IN: Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger could be out 4-6 weeks after undergoing knee surgery to repair meniscus. (via @mortreport)

Josh NFL RIGGED
    ‏@joshbechill
    @SportsCenter @mortreport can’t rape without knees

Ken, the only thing i have against your statement is they have a solid team around him already. They have 3 young WR’s in Agholor, Green-Beckham and Jordan Matthews, they have a solid OL, though they do have similar depth issues to what we have.They have Zach Ertz, and Brent Celek at TE, they have Ryan Matthews, and Sproles out of the backfield (maybe some need there), but in general, they dont need a lot on offense or defense really. CB is probably going to be their bggest need, and they arent going to get a stud at a latter pick in the first, nothing they couldnt just as easily get with their 2nd round pick.

If Ben is out 4-6 weeks then Steelers may be less likely to deal

A reporter from the Pittsburgh Sporting News grades the Steelers on their last game…..who did they play again?

Quarterback: Grade: D+
    Running Backs: Grade: D-
    Wide Receivers: Grade: C
    Tight ends:. Grade: D-
    Offensive Line: Grade: F
    Defensive Line: Grade: F-
    Linebackers: Grade: F-
    Secondary: Grade: C-
    Special Teams: Grade: B-
    Coaching: Grade: D

Full with some fun to read reasons for the grades:

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    October 19, 2016 at 12:19 pm

their o-line with guys like Johnson, Peters and Kelce is a hell of a lot better than mediocre. Not the greatest in the league but they are one of the better units in the game. Plus, they have one of the best tight end duos out there as well.
    ———————————————-
    Thier WR’s are pretty good too, a recent first rounder and two recent 2nd rounders isnt too shabby a unit. Productivity there not bad, i mean they have a primary receiver who is projecting as a 1K+ receiver and a secondary guy who should be in the 700ish yeards receiving range. Add that to the 6-700 projected receiving yards out of the backfield, and 6-700 they will be getting from TE’s and you have an offense that spreads it around. They average 27 points a week so i dont think they are floundering on offense is really what im saying, and at pick 32… i don’t think they get a game changer. Flip side of that statement is we probably wouldn’t either, though we might would pick up a nice LB out of that spot, maybe a really good TE or OG.

Officially Fest ready! In FLA, just waiting to get our room. Good news, we’ll have room for 2 more passengers to the game, got a minivan at same price. Let me know if anyone needs a ride, got 2 more seats!

Thanks Tim!

Sure Piggy, why not.

D:
    Johnson is on suspension. Ahgolor has been in the dog house and Beckham is on his second team which makes that a pretty mediocre unit at best.

Ken says:

October 19, 2016 at 11:18 am

That was exactly the reason that was brought up as to why it is not later. That is why I think extending it to week 10 may help a little in generating some activity. I don’t really care that much though…LOL

October 19, 2016 at 11:12 am

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 12s
    12 seconds ago

Reshad Jones is out for the remainder of the season, per league source.

bookman11 says:

October 19, 2016 at 11:16 am

…or…he may step up and play well….maybe even get the game sealing INT like he did against Brady a few years back

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:

October 19, 2016 at 11:42 am

do you watch any of the games? never has and never will. he’s Jimmy Makes Plays 2.0

Lou,

I was just trying to make a positive comment, wasn’t looking for in depth analysis or rebuttal, especially when that rebuttal is condescending.

Lou, I don’t think the coaches feel the same way you do about Michael Thomas. He’s not Reshad Jones but he’s versatile and it’s next man up. I wonder if we’ll look to sign a safety. Shamiel Gary is still available.

Aikens will likely see more playing time as well.

Ken this was my reply to your comment above….

D says:
    October 19, 2016 at 1:20 pm

I see what you are saying, im not calling any of them great, i just think they have a solid unit that isnt at all holding him back. That pick 32ish, isnt going to be a pick that nets them a dynamic player on offense i don’t think. I think that makes it more likely, even though i lean toward agreeing with you they shouldn’t, they trade the pick.

Michael Thomas is what he is, no Jones, but then again, there isnt anyone on our team or in street clothes right now who is. They could experiment putting one of the CBs back there in that role, but again, not Jones, no where near Jones, so Thomas presently represents the best option we have. Im curious though who they will get to fill the roster spot, and what position player they will be looking for.

Not that he is all that, obviously, but Falcons just cut Dashon Goldson. He might be a so so pick up to give some depth back to the position.

Damn Shelby to IR as well. Guess a full-time workload was just too much for him….

126. when the reaction to losing Jones for the season is “we’re fucked” you pretty much know how the Miami fan base feels about Michael Thomas. They know what he is. Jimmy Wilson 2.0

He’s a depth player, depth players are never what you are hoping for to play any stretch of time for you, but its kinda an is what it is thing. There likely is some evaluation and some experimentation with people in replacement, so im not sure he is the end of the answer of “who replaces Jones for us” he is justthe first guy to be put to the test.

Any time you lose one of your best players you’re going to get negative reactions.

• Jahndoh30 says:

I bet for most people saying that, the reason has nothing to do with Michael Thomas and everything to do with the fact that Jones has been consistently our best safety for years.

I like your feedback on prospects Lou, but you have an uber inflated sense of your own ability to evaluate players. In the end I tend to deal myself a dose of humility. Maybe, just maybe, I don’t know more than the coaches and staff, and maybe, just maybe, I suffer from confirmation bias which compounds the error of my judgement.

I personally think Thomas is predictable. Not great by any means, but the number 1 rule for new coaches in the NFL is to go with a vet unless a rookie clearly beats him out (and the coach is the judge of ‘clearly’.

Lou

You can’t assign the Koa Misi syndrome to another player while we are actually still suffering from the Koa Misi syndrome via Koa Misi

• Jahndoh30 says:

How many coaching staffs have given Koa their votes of confidence now? Maybe it’s guys like us that are off in our assessments. Or maybe, we’ve just had bad staff after bad staff after bad staff. Either is possible I suppose…

I think you are underestimating my ability to know more than the coaches or any other humans for that matter

#SnoutWise

MikeE 23-20 MIA
    Stang 21-10 MIA
    GO PHINS!

October 19, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Lou

————————————–
    Unless its contagious…. haven’t looked into that disease much, feeling a Web MD search coming on…

Sucks about Jones. We finally get something positive going, and now our captain of our secondary is gone.

131. Never know. Maybe they start Lucas instead.

He could be an option at some point but I doubt he starts right away. He might play Thomas’ previous role though.

I honestly think i would go cover 1 most the game and just use Thomas more as a extra blitzer or a second NB covering short zones, playing press with the slot receiver, etc. and just let Isa do his best to track the QB and choose coverage on the right half of the deep zone.

Tyrod is not very likely to beat you deep, and they are without Watkins so i think our CB’s should be able to keep their guys in front of them, and with the extra NB/Safety in the box, we could be more effective against McCoy and keeping Taylor contained.

We could use the same strategy against the Jets, and Chargers for that matter since they are down to like nothing in WR department. In fact im not sure just looking at whom we have left, that it wouldn’t work for most the rest of the games. It would just be a strategy to minimize that loss.

• Jahndoh30 says:

i wouldn’t underestimate Phillip Rivers ability to beat you deep no matter how beat up his WR corps is.

Just noticed they didnt bring up any of the OL, other than Young, whom i dont think was available for PS, to the active roster. They brought in Jake Brendel and Terry Poole as well to replenish some of the cuts, but they put them both on PS. I was kinda hoping to see Brendel on the team.

Jahn, I agree with what you’re saying about how coaches think of players vs. what fans think. We’re not close enough to the situation to be on par with them.

I forgot safety A.J. Hendy is on our PS and he could be called up. He made some plays in the PS.

Jahndoh30 says:
    October 19, 2016 at 3:08 pm

———————————–
    I definitely dont, Rivers is probably one of the best deep passers in the league currently, but his WR corp consists of Travis Benjamin (more slot receiver type) and Grif Whalen (another slot receiver), their strengths arent deep ball, so i think our CB’s could stay with them. They really dont have a deep threat receiver right now. Their TE are more deep threat guys than their WR’s are.

I dont think its necessarily true, there are people here that like Misi, some that dont, etc, so someone has to be right, right? I think what coaches like with Misi is that he plays fundamental football and shows leadership qualities. These are things that all physical ability beig equal, you go with the guy who has those traits. I dont think its so much about Misi being the guy they want, i see it more as Misi is the best they have available to them. I believe they look to replace Misi this coming year, i mean technically they did this past year, moving him out of the MLB spot because they wanted better there.

All complicated questions have simple answers

#Snoutwise

• Brian in NY says:

He’s an average football player. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah and therefore he is a nice safety net and a guy that doesnt make you make a rash decision with the future of your team. You can depend on him in some type of capacity and then that frees you up to make better decisions in FA, and draft, because you have the luxury of a fallback option.

• Brian in NY says:

Exactly. You know what you are getting from him week in and week out. I’d love to get a playmaking LB early in the draft next year.

Big Ben COULD BE out 4-6 weeks, but that doesn’t mean that he will. He could also be back after their bye week which comes after they play NE this week.

Was the meniscus? I would bet on 4 even with a best case scenario. It wouldnt be so much “could it be healed” as a pain thing. Soreness lingering could really affect his play, and open him up to a quick exit again. He would be smart to make sure he doesnt rush it, even though its pretty mcuh going to kill their season if he doesnt get back really fast.

Probably going to crimp his rape style too, one legged raping probably isnt sexy in the least.

• Brian in NY says:

Yes, but it was a partial tear, which from what I’ve read can be anywhere between 2-6,depending on how fast he recovers.

Misi is not only probably done in Miami but possibly football with a neck injury.

I think DE and LB will be a priority in the offseason.

Yeah i think it wont be a decision of if we bring him back, we probably wont be able to. I think he was headed to a backup/rotational status anyways, which i think would have been great to have a guy like that in that role and better for him to help extend his career. Might be too late for that now.

Dolphins will be wearing throwback unis this week for the fest

WOOP WOOP

CBS Sports is indicating they think its possible that we could trade Tanny and bring in Cutler. I dont know if they mean we would trade Tanny for Cutler, or trade Tanny elsewhere and then pick up Cutler when he is cut (which they suggested the Bears were more likely to do than him being traded). I dont see that nor am i in a fan of the idea. I think its probably being just bandied around because of Gase being in Chicago last year.

Artile listed several current starting QB’s and Garopolo as QB’s who would likely be in different places next year.

This is the full list of the guys they think possible change places.
    Romo: They hinted at Jets being a destination for him.
    Kaepernick
    Cutler
    Cousins
    Tannehill
    Garopolo
    Tyrod Taylor
    Fitzpatrick
    Geno Smith
    RG3
    Case Keenum

Man i miss the old logo, i know the new one isn’t radically different but the old on to me i still so much better.

D, sorry I did a quick read of your post because I’ve heard this before so I just reacted to the main topic.

Cutler is exactly what people think Tannehill is except he’s been doing it longer. LOL

And he has a really shitty attitude…one thing i can say about Tanny is he may let shit get to him, but h doesn’t turn into Mr McPissy Shitatude.

They must know all of us old farts are coming to the game Sunday and went with the throwbacks.
    Throwbacks for the throwbacks.

No Cutler he’s horrible.

Washington will lock up Cousins especially if they go on a playoff run. If they take a shit then maybe they do let him walk.

I think it’s a little too early to say that Tannehill won’t be here next year. Let’s wait to see how the season plays out before deciding his fate.

Congrats to Cleveland for making it to the World Series. Could you imagine them getting two titles in a year?

SON: SAW YOUR comments re “Old” & “New ” logos. I vastly prefer the old logo, the old colors which Ross saw fit to “modify,” and the “old” way of treating the fan base. D, yes, you’re right, the two logos are not vastly different, but the differences are very apparent to those who’ve been with this team long before Ross came around. Two more items: my parking fee has TRIPLED since Ross bought the team and the ticket prices have more than doubled for the privilege of attending the games of a team that has had 8 straight non-winning seasons. Maybe, at last, THIS IS THE YEAR we return to the positive side of the W-L ledger.

Cutler? If they pulled that shit. If they pulled that shit Tannenbaum and Gase should be summarily executed. I am not over reacting. This is me being calm.

Ken says:
    October 19, 2016 at 11:08 am

Ha ha ha ha. Somebody sucks worse than we do.

We haven’t played the first of two games this year against them. I hope you are right, but even when they suck they usually at least split with us. If we can do well in the division this year will go a long way for me.

ONE group of guys who suck worse than us is the replay crew in NY that called Gonzales OUT at the plate at the end of the last inning vs. the Cubs. Is ANYBODY in the replay booth younger than 75??? –A CLASSIC BLOWN CALL by Major League Baseball!!!–Inexcusable!!

OD, I have not watched baseball, not one game, not even an entire inning since the strike. that is a long time.

October 19, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Welcome to FLA Mike E. Don’t forget to offer a hand to the locals.

Mike E, that is how you put a gator to sleep if they corner you. You pet it’s tongue and they go right to sleep. Ask anyone…..

To give you an idea of when I stopped watching baseball, I was an “Atlanta Braves fan” because that was the closest team to south florida. There were no Rays or Marlins.

152. 81Howie says:

I watched this last debate and NBC clearly is pro Hillary.
    Me, I like the lady fine but if we want to continue spiraling down into a country of Pussy’s then Hillary is the one
    I want to be a BAD ASS country that dont take no SHIT fro nobody
    TRUMP!

Interesting Tidbits:

LeSean McCoy left practice early with a hamstring(tight) injury.

Ryan said he wasn’t immediately sure of the severity of the injury.

Which of the below former Fins are we most afraid of this week:

Mike Gillislee
    Reggie Bush
    Dan Carpenter
    Charles Clay
    Justin Hunter
    Ritchie Incognito

if Shady is out my vote is Mike Gillislee, next would be Clay, and Carpenter .. it seems he always hits the big ones against us ..

4.5 Hrs to airport..

See a bunch of ya in a day or so..

Also:

Say NO to CUTLER.. that MAy force me to turn in my Fins Fan Card.. who am i kidding.. i’d just be looking for him to get injured every play..

81Howie says:
    October 19, 2016 at 10:52 pm

I watched this last debate and NBC clearly is pro Hillary.

lol, since when has the Nothing But Clinton network been any of the such. the debates have always been media driven. the media has more to do with who is elected then we do

‘Bills coach Rex Ryan said Wednesday the running back’s hamstring was tight and will be checked by the medical staff.’

t-rex ryan was know to say after. ‘if it were only his toes, then i would know how to make them feel better’

157. Phindog says:

Toba.. We don’t land until 5:38 pm tomorrow..

REALLY LOOKING FORWARD to the Fest. Dave & Busters’ ought to be yet another great experience! Throw in near perfect weather on Sunday and you’re headed for good times at Hard Head Stadium (I hope)!!