ABSOLUTE PERFECTION – THE 1972 MIAMI DOLPHINS – GAME 3

By: Randy Campbell (Old Dolfan)

GAME 3: OCTOBER 1, 1972 – MIAMI at MINNESOTA

The NFL schedule makers provided few favors for the Miami Dolphins during the early portion of The Perfect Season. Week #1 featured a date with the very powerful winners of Super Bowl IV, the Kansas City Chiefs, at brand new Arrowhead Stadium.  After a week #2 game at the Orange Bowl against Houston.  The schedule makers sent Miami back on the road to play one of the strongest teams in the NFC, the Minnesota Vikings.  The Vikings were a franchise on the cusp of greatness. In January 1970 they advanced to Super Bowl IV as double-digit favorites to defeat the Chiefs.  But, for the second straight season, the AFL representative conquered the NFL’s best.  Vikings Hall of Fame head coach Bud Grant said,”Now I know how Don Shula felt when he lost the Super Bowl to the Jets.”  Like Shula, Grant vowed to get back to the Super Bowl.

mingrant0174

Indeed, Bud Grant would return.  But, unlike Shula, Grant would never win pro football’s ultimate game.  Four times during the decade of the ’70’s Grant would get his Vikings to the Super Bowl.  Four times he would suffer the agony of defeat.  However, from the late ’60’s through the late ’70’s, the Vikings were among the very best franchises in the NFL. The 1972 Minnesota Vikings were loaded with Hall of Fame talent.  The defense, known as the “Purple People Eaters” (after the Vikings bright purple jerseys) had Carl Eller, Jim Marshall and PPEAS16X20f-300x237Alan Page, who would go on to be a Minnesota state supreme court justice after a stellar NFL career.  The offensive line was anchored by huge rookie tackle Ron Yary (a future HOF inductee) and by Mick Tinglehoff, one of the leagues’s best centers for over a decade and a likely future Hall of Famer.  Brute strong fullback Bill Brown was Minnesota’s featured running back.  Receivers Gene Washington and speedy John Gilliam were legitimate deep threats.   But the man who made Minnesota go, their prodigal son, Fran Tarkenton, had just returned to Minnesota after five solid years with the Giants. It was 146574860-31211024-300x215Tarkenton who had taken this franchise to prominence when he quarterbacked this team from 1961 to 1966.  In 1972 he left the Giants toreturn home — to the absolute delight of hard core Viking fans.  By the time he retired, Tarkenton would own many all-time NFL passing records, including most career yards passing (47,003) and most career touchdown passes (342). His records would stand for over 20 years until broken by Dan Marino.  Simply put, these Vikings were a dominant football team, especially at home.  The prior week, Minnesota crushed the Detroit Lions 34-10.  Thus, it was little wonder the Vikings were a touchdown favorite over the visiting Dolphins.

The game started poorly for the undefeated Miami team.  Just over four minutes into the game an amazed Tarkenton saw an unguarded John Gilliam wide open down the field. “Tarks” 56-yard bomb was right on target and the Vikings had an early 7-0 lead.  This could have started the Dolphins downfall.  But, it didn’t.  Miami receiver Marlin Briscoe, traded to the Dolphins from Buffalo for a first round draft choice, said,”if this was Buffalo, the first thing we’d do is PANIC!!  Then, we’d throw the bomb. Our quarterback would get sacked and the game would be over.  But things are different here in Miami. We knew, deep in our hearts, we’d win!”  Bob Griese’s calm deliberate approach failed to produce results.  But Miami’s “No Name Defense” stood firm and the second quarter concluded with the score still stuck on 7-0.

The Dolphin’s offense began to show signs of life in the third quarter.  Mixing passing and running plays, Griese twice got the Dolphins into Viking’s territory.  The first drive produced a 38-yard Yepremian field goal.  The next drive ended when the left-footed Cypriot connected on a 42-yard effort.  Late in the third quarter Minnesota produced their first meaningful drive since scoring on a long bomb early in the game.  But before the drive ended, the gun sounded ending the third quarter.  Minnesota led 7-6 with one quarter to go.  The Vikings concluded their drive with a 1 yard touchdown run by Bill Brown.  Trailing 14-6 it appeared the Dolphins were going to lose their first game.  Midway in the last quarter Miami took over on their own 20.  An 18 yard pass, Griese to Morris, was followed by a double-reverse that culminated in Marlin 04-300x225Briscoe’s 22 yard pass to tight end Jim Mandich.  A few plays later Garo Yepremian lined-up a 51 yard field goal attempt.  If good, it would be the longest of his career!  The ball just cleared the crossbar and the Dolphins now trailed by only 14-9.  But it was late, very late.

Now, the “No Name Defense” had to stop the Vikings ONE MORE TIME!  Two runs by Oscar Reed went nowhere! On third and long, Tarkenton’s pass was tipped away by Tim Foley!  The Dolphins would have ONE FINAL CHANCE!  The drive started on Miami’s 41.  Morris’ run got only two yards. But on the next play the Vikes’ Bob Lurtsema hammered Griese with a late hit.  The 15 yard penalty moved the ball to Minnesota’s 42.  Expecting a pass, the Vikings dropped back into coverage.  So Griese switched the call to an end sweep, resulting in a 14 yard scamper by Mercury Morris to the 28.  In clutch situations, Griese liked to go to Howard Twilley, ashort, average speed receiver who NEVER seemed to drop a pass.  Reliable Howard was true to form, catching two passes for 25 yards.  The Dolphins were now 3 yards from victory. Everyone in Metropolitan Stadium was standing and screaming!  Tight end Jim Mandich said “I thought we’d just pound the ball to Csonka with less than two minutes to go”…so did the Vikings.  Instead, Griese faked a hand-off and threw a short pass to a totally wide open Jim Mandich for the winning touchdown!  Fins Win 16-14!  The Perfect Season was still alive!

022c1c70879fef0411121c7133c68bbcd88e0942

Miami’s late drive for a touchdown grabbed the headlines. But, in truth, the “No Name Defense” was responsible for this upset victory.  The “No Names” sacked the elusive Tarkenton five times.  They intercepted Tarkenton three times, including a pick on Tarkenton’s desperate heave on the game’s last play.  After giving up a 56 yard bomb on Tarkenton’s first pass, the “No Names” held Tarkenton to just 50 YARDS PASSING THE REST OF THE GAME!!!  It was an awesome performance.  In the post game locker room, Bud Grant told reporters, “There were no excuses, no breaks. They just beat us. At the end, they were stronger than we were.”  In Miami’s locker, Shula said, “We take great pride in our conditioning.  Today I believe it made a difference.”

no_name_d_920_medium-266x300

The Dolphins were now all alone in first place in the AFC Eastern Division and they were now the ONLY undefeated team in the National Football League.  Miami’s two upset road wins over Kansas City and Minnesota had put them squarely in the limelight.  Everybody was following the Dolphins.  Next up: the schedule makers had the Dolphins on the road versus the second place team in the AFC East, the HATED NEW YORK JETS, their rabid fans, and their all-world quarterback, Joe Namath!  The 1972 Miami Dolphins were now 3-0.

370 Responses to ABSOLUTE PERFECTION – THE 1972 MIAMI DOLPHINS – GAME 3

OD

I’m all for spending big bucks on at least one OG. I’d love to have Zeitler here. I’m not sure that’s in the cards, but as long as they bring in an OG that we put in there and he does his job well for all 16 games, I’m happy.

OD

The first line of the last paragraph of this article, minus the undefeated part, because that’s too over the top, but that’s what I want to read at the end of this season!

AS YOU READ this article, remember this: Carl Eller, Jim Marshall and Alan Page WERE ALL ELECTED TO THE NFL HALL OF FAME, as were center Mick Tinglehoff and, of course, Fran Tarkenton. This was a team LOADED with superior talent at most positions! No wonder they were an elite team for over a decade!

4. I think we should go after Brian Schwenke, Ted Larsen and Ricky Wagner in FA for our o-line. Signing all three won’t take that much. Wagner’s going to be the most costly at about $27M total and the other two would be relatively cheap to sign.
    The three of them would help solidify our o-line with depth and starting capability.

Are there any new reports today about the team?

6. If you take a look of the current crop of FA wr’s is there a guy you look at that we can have either for the same thing as what Stills may command or cheaper than Stills that you would like better?
    I can’t see one.
    and, according to Spotrac, Robert Woods’ market value is greater than Stills. I don’t think that’s correct but take it for what it’s worth.

TIM ASKS “Are there any new reports today about the team?”
    Here are a couple of new reports, TIM.
    #1) FinFanRob has just been hired as the “O-FISH-AL” team escort
    for the Miami Dolphins cheerleaders!!
    #2) Tannenbaum has just traded Tannehill and our #1 draft choice to the Jaguars for Chad Henne! —Somewhere Markayh is saying “I told you so!”

8. so, according to Omar, the team is working today to finalize the trade of Albert to the Jags for Thomas.

Sounds like Albert is on board and a deal is imminent and it sounds like Julius Thomas is the player we get.

This article tells me it’s happening. Could be Julius Thomas or a draft pick, not sure. But it seems legit.

Albert is a classy dude.

I am thrilled that Miami was able to unload Branden Albert’s contract while getting a player that helps them plug a significant need. NOT SURE how much cap space will be cleared by this move, but I’m guessing a few million. SO I’d cross off TE as a major area of need. This will allow Miami to focus on the 3 areas of greatest need, namely O-Line, LB and DE. If the comp speculation proves true, Miami will have a first, second and third round pick to fill these 3 weakest areas. And we’ll still have 5th, 6th & 7th round picks to build depth and/or “take a shot.”

NICE position to be in.

PS:HERD, thanks for your usually excellent work on game 3 of The Perfect Season.

OD I’d look at it as a trade of big contracts with us getting a player who is in a better place career wise to be a long standing contributor. Only negative I’d have to say about it is this is the deepest tight end draft I have seen in a very long time. We likely could get a draft pick with potential to be as good as Thomas, but it would cost us an early pick. Maybe we still draft a guy in the middle round.

Tim only new thing he I’m seeing is that the Albert to Thomas thing looks really solid now, a D according to the I terview Omar had with Albert, from Albert’s own mouth, dolphins s fans should be surprised by the details. Not sure if that’s a good or bad surprise but that’s what he said. That’s said, I kinda will miss BA, seemed like a good guy, good pro, with the right attitude about playing and the business side of things. Wish him the best in Jax.

Branden Albert is most definitely a top notch classy guy. I wish him the best.

Albert for Thomas in a straight up deal isn’t a great deal. I think there will be either a pick this year, a conditional pick next year, or another player involved.

I think they would definitely have to sign Sims, or replace him with someone else that can block, because Julius Thomas is NOT that guy.

If we do get Thomas, all those people that just hated the idea of drafting O.J. Howard should be dancing right about now

• Brian in NY says:

Who hated the idea? I would prefer a defensive playmaker, but I wouldn’t complain about Howard.

Shall we dance? Drafting a TE in round 1 when our needs at O-Line, LB and DE are far greater would have been very Irelandesque, especially if this Howard turns out to be Jordan II.

• Brian in NY says:

What if we shore up some of those positions in FA, OD? If Howard was the next Gronk, then it would be a good move.

It’s about release vs. we like the player you have. Maybe Gase really likes Thomas. 12/12 24 TDs under Gase as OC in 13/14. Route tree guy.

OD

You’re just not paying attention. I’ve never ignored the O-line, I said we should sign one of the top OG’s in FA, and then draft another G/C. That being said, we don’t have to draft an OL in the 1st RD

Bri

There are a few people here that only wanted to go defense early in the draft. Maybe hate was too strong a word.

21. well, I said I wouldn’t get excited about the Thomas trade but I was wrong because now I don’t have to hear about the dumbass OJ Howard in the first round shit anymore.

Lou, come on just having some fun and going by what’s being reported. It’s everywhere. It has nothing to do with me. I’m commenting on what appears to be happening. If it changes, okay. I’m going with the flow of what we’re doing, not the world according to Timmy Knight. LOL

Sims – we likely re-sign him to a fair deal.
    Thomas – restructure contract early on and earn your elite status once again.
    Gray – solid depth TE in all phases.
    Duarte – a potential depth weapon.
    Jones – we might want him back too in the run game.

Okay Lou, the trade happens so it’s Tunsil at LT and Thomas will be our main target TE. Now what, from right now?

Offense:

WOLB?
    CB Maxwell/Lippett
    CB Howard/Lippett
    NB McCain/?
    S Jones
    S IAQ

I’m cool with that too. They both played well, Stills more of a big play guy. Branch plays hard and gives great effort. He’s just not a finisher as in sacks and game changing plays. Both players have value for us on different levels.

• I would agree with anyone who says there’s room for improvement with both but I also think both can still improve and will improve. I think Stills is capable of putting up double digit td’s and definitely is capable of more catches.
        Gase had the offense going in the right direction this past season but it stuttered a bit too often for us to really see what everyone was capable of doing. Consider that Stills had 9 td’s in an offense that was worst in the league in 3 and out’s, time of possession per offensive possession and # of plays per offensive possession and that’s pretty darn good.
        But, there’s always room for improvement and that goes for everyone; especially when you look at statistics like that.
        But, I would imagine both Branch and Stills would want to blow away their 2016 performances this year.

So we are getting Thomas but not sure what else…if anything…yet?

Lou

Damn! You were just warming up to getting Howard in the 1st RD too. lol

28. jetsssuck says:

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    February 19, 2017 at 9:22 pm
    I drive by american heritage HS several times a week and I see several dolphin players practicing against one another. Wake does his off season work outs there also in stead of Western HS where I would see him always during his first few years as a dolphin. The coach of AH last year was Pat Surtain and yes they won state for 3 or fourth time in 5 years. I see Wake along with Surtain’s HS teams players practicing covering the dolphins WR’s.
    They work on setting legal picks with each other. It’s very interesting how well they run full spread and cross each other which creates open space for the qb to throw to a momentary open wr because of the precision of the route running.I have watched the teams games last season again and I noticed most of their plays in the 3-4 player wr sets involve legal picks. It seems teams are doing this more and with better precision than any time I can remember in the history of watching the NFL .
    Improvement for the Offense will be with them learning how to set picks better and QB throwing ball at the time of a perfectly executed pick. It shoud be fun watching them next year knowing they can only get better practicing these picks. The wr position may become the harder position to make a immediate impact considering the have to learn these picks and they have to execute them with the other wr’s to perfection. Good news this can be learned very easily during the off-season workouts without pads and during training camp.

29. dbolt48 says:

This Albert trade to Ajax may not be what has been reported.

@ArmandoSalguero: It’s not. I’ll clear it up for folks tomorrow. https://t.co/g9R8uWc6Xf

February 19, 2017 at 8:17 am
    OD

Mike,
    Maybe they are clearing cap space at LT so they can spend big bucks on a G.

GOTTA AGREE with your analysis, Brian. I think THAT’S EXACTLY what the front office is going to do. Getting Zeitler in FA would send a message that Miami is going to try to get the best man available for one of the two starting guard positions!! – – The other might be snagged in round 2 (Elflein?) And then we will have addressed our glaring shortcomings in the offensive line.

BTW, Mike E, I don’t believe I accused you of ignoring our O-Line issues at all. But I DO BELIEVE you are right in your belief the ZEITLER is the best available option at guard, based on what I’ve read and seen. Hell, we all (I HOPE) want to see Tanny and Ajayi benefit from a REALLY GOOD offensive line. Unfortunately, that has seldom been the case during the last 7-8 seasons, due to injuries and poor personnel decisions.

Give the 2016 team a SOLID, top tier, offensive line FOR EVERY GAME and we would have been legitimate Super Bowl contenders. Give them 2 more good LB’s and a much needed edge player AND THEY COULD HAVE BEEN CHAMPIONS!! This franchise is CLOSER to being a Top 4 franchise than you might think. THE KEY, now, is getting Tannehill healthy and ready to go.

FINALLY, after what seems to have been AN ETERNITY, the Dolphins are approaching greatness again. ARE YOU READY, DOL-FANS????

• Brian in NY says:

We will be able to address our LT position by sliding Tunsil over, and saving a ton of money while also upgrading the position. We could also sign Leary, who will probably cost 3-4 million less than Zeitler, and address the other G position in the draft. If Pouncey stays healthy (and the rest of the line as well) and we will have a very good OL. Hopefully we can build some depth there as well.

• jetsssuck says:

maybe they are freeing space and are gonna move last yrs 1st rounder out to tackle and draft best center in 2nd or third round and move pouncey out to right guard where he can excel at, as he has proven he can do at the pro level. Less wear and tear on hips plus he can help new center with line calls.
      Cheap OL contracts in the future is good for the team and teams that have done this usually succeed like dallas,sf,seattle and several other through the years. Get 5-6 OL playing on rookie contracts and replace them when their contracts expire like we are set up now or draft another 1st rounder.

31. jetsssuck says:

they have bitten really bad with injuries and other things through the last 10-12 yrs and things can finally be corrected to help this team the most. The foundation is built within the trenches and our OL has been snake bitten the last 10-12 yrs. I truly believe the team can correct the black cloud hanging over this franchise this offseason if they address the OL and it doesn’t have to be in the first round of the draft.

32. I still like the idea of addressing the offensive line with three players rather than one big name, big money guy. I like Zeitler, was one of my guys in the draft, but I’d rather pay Schwenke, Wagner and Larsen less for all three.

Toomuch unbridled optimism here…where are Randy, SB, FFR et al?

Because we haven’t talked about the Jags trade enough….since Jax already paid Thomas his $3M roster bonus, maybe the deal is they eat that, Miami picks up his current contract while Jax renegotiates Albert’s. Miami gets Thomas for $4M the first year which is a good deal.

• unfortunately, they can’t make JAX eat the guarantee. The guaranteed money goes to the acquiring team. MIA would need to get Thomas to eat it.
      Only thing JAX would eat would be a pro-rated bonus remaining of $3.6M

$3M is guaranteed this year, but his contract numbers are too high at $7M, 8.5 and 9, that’s why they want to renegotiate. I doubt the deal goes through unless it’s reworked. So the $3M only means they must pay him at least that in a renegotiated contract.

What we’re trying to do is lower the future years, but give him more than the $3M in guarantees. Something like $12M guaranteed, with $6M in bonus this year. The contracts would be $1M 2017, then 7 in 2018, and 2019. More years might also be added.

• and you know this how? I don’t see the extra years. doesn’t make sense. why are you going to lock up a guy who may shit the bed in his first year?

There’s no extra years, his current contract runs through 2019. You only lock him up for 2 years, the 3rd year would only have $2M in dead money. Logic states this, and it’s a far less gamble than we took with Maxwell, since Thomas has excelled in Gases O.

Thomas may balk at the $7M in 18 and 19, but that’s what the team will try to do.

And we have leverage. Gase makes him better, giving him more guarantees, and telling him he can go somewhere else and underperform or stick to the scheme that made him great.

Would love to know if they asked Albert if he was willing to switch to G, but since they were going to cut him anyhow only real Q is If they want to sign Thomas for $7 mil for one year.

The next two years on his contract would be there if you wanted to hold him, but there would be zero cap effect in cutting him after a trade.

Getting anything more than that would be a bonus, but would also indicate that at least the Jags don’t think he is worth the $7 mil.

Sorry guys wedge took a break
    Lazy alien!

I’d be thrilled, if we can get Thomas at say $7M per year for 3 years. I’m with Lou on not taking a TE in the first. It better be a DE or LB, unless Tunsil the second falls into our lap. Also since it’s a trade it doesn’t count against lost FAs, if we should lose any.

Albert said in the SS article that he was willing to play guard only if compensated fairly. I guess the number was not what Miami wanted to pay him.

Also indicates that they offered him maybe what I was thinking of……”the play out your career at G and Tunsil mentor for less money” and it was turned down. Or who knows? Maybe before March 9 that is what it ends up as.

39. 5 minutes ago
    Ok, Branden Albert’s agent says the situation is NOT completed in Jacksonville. #Jaguars think it is. The plot thickens.

I have a “What about Telvin” sign with a Dolphin logo and I’m standing outside of the Jags offices. I’ll keep you updated.

41. we better be getting something extra for Albert; like David Putney.

Chad Henne just walked by and threw something at me and of course he missed.

Lucky Bastard!

Okay so it’s just a ho hum get something for Albert and move on from his contract.

Question, being that we’re trading Albert, do we still eat the dead cap or do we now get his entire value in cap space?

Don’t ask me!
        I’m just the dick who posts the Cheerleader pics! 😉

Can’t trade away the pro-rated bonus, but that goes for Thomas too. Only Thomas has guaranteed money left though, so that would be part of the trade. If anything, they might be doing Albert a favor……or maybe doing a prelim check out the market before FA starts thing.

I wasn’t thrilled with Julius Thomas, but I would have trusted that Gase thought he could make him work here. Alright, back to O.J. Howard!!!

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m1 minute ago
    Ian Rapoport Retweeted Armando Salguero
    This is true. #Dolphins doing the Albert part of the deal now. The Julius Thomas part, if it happens, will take more time. Still in the mixIan Rapoport added,

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero
    Branden Albert to Jacksonville in the works — but not for Julius Thomas http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article133827814.html

I know he was going to be released, so from our standpoint, whatever we get is good. On the other hand, he wasn’t released, and if the Jaguars are really worried about a bidding war with other teams, let them pay for it. We’re going to release him anyway, no skin off our backs, but if they want exclusive rights to talk to him, pay up with a 5th RD pick. The stakes have changed, because we didn’t release him.

Yeah to get something instead of nothing. I’m also wondering being that Albert hasn’t been paid in the new year yet if maybe we get all of his cap back and no dead cap because of the trade.

What do you mean get all of his cap back? Once you’ve paid a bonus you eat it, that’s the dead money. We still owe BA 3.4M.

He has no guaranteed money left on his deal and the new year hasn’t started yet so he has not been paid as far as I know.

He doesn’t have guaranteed money left, but he still has dead money from the bonus paid to him when he signed. We’re on the hook for that, we can’t get it back.

With the Albert and Thomas talk, will note that today marks the tenth year since the contract was signed in the greatest deal of all the world’s draft history.

Not talking Brady or Zach…….this contract was signed on a cruise ship in Nassau by the w

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m5 minutes ago
    My understanding is the Julius Thomas part of #Dolphins-#Jags deal broke down (for now) over what his new MIA contract would be. Lot of time

Before you hit something like the March 9 deadline when the deal going to be done……lots of smoke and mirror stuff involved.

Oh congrats Stanger!

Hope you get the chance to meet her someday (and yeah that means get you assss down to a Fest). Have a feeling you two would get along quite well……

Stanger, Congrats to you and the lovely Mrs.
    (now that I know you – She IS a saint)

Like yours isn’t? Might be why they get along so well. Niche market for sure, but for some reason they bought into what we were selling. Sometimes you luck into finding that piece of the puzzle that fits yours.

pheloniusphish says:

February 20, 2017 at 9:36 am

Toomuch unbridled optimism here…where are Randy, SB, FFR et al?
    ___

how’d I get lumped in with these two? lol

53. Phindog says:

Stanger,
    Congrats to you and your Lovely Wife.. Happy Anniversary !!

The team floats the idea we’re cutting him, so fans will buy whatever happens as a bonus. Nicely played Front Office.

Randy — still thinking this was a way to let Albert get a reality check out what life would be like if he wants to stay at LT and see how they run on the numbers. He might get a one-year a year rental from a contender…..but then he has to come back and explain the situation to his family.

it does reek of PR

but some would argue that the idea of waiving albert was put out there to find a buyer for him

either or pound for pound, I’m not sure this move is worthy of criticism by the FO
      I’m kinda lukewarm about it – maninly bc I don’t love Thomas

How is it not? We’re moving on from him and his contract. So released vs. any compensation is a little bit of a bonus, not a big deal for a 2018 late rd pick. LOL

stanger,
    It never made sense they wouldn’t try to trade him first. Now it does. Albert was gonna get picked up one way or another. He’s talented and experienced. Minnesota would snatch him up in a heartbeat! Lol
    ***
    We just happen to have a guy available to take his spot….making him expendable to us. If not for Tunsil, he’d be going nowhere.

Maybe someone would take Albert on with his contract, but then he also knows that he is cut baitable on it after this season. Who knows the exact dynamics on it, but my guess the interplay is he wants a career-ending contract with more guaranteed bucks to make that happen no matter where it is while the Phins are saying you can play G with that here but we got Tunsil.

stanger,
    Yeah…nobody really knows as a fan. As long as we end up a better team in the end, I’m fine with it. Lol

Never underestimate the factor of a guy (especially one with tens of millions earned) telling his wife that they have to move and how bad it comes over when he has to admit after that if it don’t hit “we’ll find the next place for more.”

Part of why players call it a business and the guys running the teams have more leverage than any one player on his own future.

Albert’s family doesn’t have to move being that he’ll still be playing in the same state. Players don’t spend much time at home during football anyway.

Stanger

Happy Anniversary to you guys! Tell MA i wish you both the best!

Thanks Mike. Won’t go into how I just got into trouble that had to with choice of eating spot in terms how long fake-UK Phin (+1) drive time it…..but part of why we are still together.

Pretty both sure you and MA’s bff on your side are friends on facebook though. If you want to help with the day, just let her know I was talking her up (even if comes with he still can’t figure out how he made it to ten years.) And heck — you can tell her that is exactly what I asked for. 🙂

58. 2018 late round pick and now I have to hear about Howard again????!!!!!! Put me out of my misery!

Randy, I agree that after FA and the draft all that matters is our 53 is better than it was and does it set us up to make the playoffs again. It doesn’t really matter how we get there.

60. Just an FYI. There’s no additional cap savings in trading Albert over cutting him. The dead money is still applicable to the Phins.

So for now as long as the Albert trade goes through, we’re back at about $50M in cap space. What to do?

We’re likely to see a lot of doubling up on some positions thru FA and the draft.
    DE – one from each
    DT – one from each
    LB – one from each
    DB – not sure, maybe one premium or multiple lower tier for competition
    C/G – one from each
    TE – one from either or thru trade

Sweet Baby Jesus…Now the they’re trading a late round draft pick for Thomas who has agreed to redo his contract..

That’s a late round pick this year. Then they trade Albert for a late round pick, not sure what year. Two separate deals.

Ian RapoportVerified account ‏@RapSheet 52m52 minutes ago
    TE Julius Thomas had his best stint under #Broncos OC Adam Gase. Now, Thomas will be back with Gase with the #Dolphins. Mutually beneficial

Now Lou can sleep tonight . . . 🙂

Man some of the comments I read on Twitter are so ignorant and uniformed. By the way I’m not on Twitter myself, I just go to some of them for reports. But geez the comments are really dumb!

Wow, that’s great news. IDGF about getting a 7th for BA in 2018 vs giving a 6th for JT, or whatever the compensation is, the main thing is JTs contract being significantly reduced. JT had a healthy Peyton throwing him the ball when he had the 24 TDs in 2 years, but he can do the same with us, or he won’t get his incentives.

Albert is only being reported as a 2018 late round pick, could be 6-7 based on performance. Doesn’t mean much to me, it’s something for a guy we would have released anyway.

Thomas is reportedly for a 2017 7th. Again, these deals were more about positional cap moves than anything else. Let’s hope Thomas is a great fit for us and good luck Brandon, you’re a good dude, a warrior and a team first guy.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 23m23 minutes ago
    #Dolphins expected deal for Julius Thomas is for a 7th in ’17. #Jaguars expected deal for Branden Albert if completed is for a ’18 late pick

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 25m25 minutes ago
    #Jaguars TE Julius Thomas will be in Miami tomorrow for a visit and physical in contemplation of a trade. He’s agreed to re-do his contract

I think the compensation difference has to do with Albert being 33 in November vs. Thomas 29 in June. Is it a 2018 6th or 7th for Albert? It might be conditional based on performance.

If this all goes through we know Tunsil is our LT and Thomas is our main pass catching TE. Go! LOL

I’m fine, it’s a 7th RD pick, it’s worth it. I still feel like we should re-sign Sims though

Me too.

Yes on Sims. This regime since Gase has come on board has made smart deals, both of these are good business deals. With that said, why sign the big FA contract? We got Maxwell without breaking the bank. No more Suh type of deals. Pay your own, Stills, Sims, and Branch, then spend money wisely.

Also if Maxwell fades on us this year no cap hit next year releasing him and we move on saving $10M in cap. There will always be relief in the next few years. Suh’s deal will be done before we know it. It’s always revolving. Try to get the best players you can together and win a championship when you can. That’s the goal.

Is Gase the the voice of reason, that neutralizes Tannenbaum’s loose cannon? I was trying to chill, so far this offseason, but with these 2 smart deals it’s getting hard to stay that way. Mega cap space, with only a few key FAs to sign, but Jones and Landry to extend. We could be contenders.

I read an article from Armando back during the season where he stated Ross gave Gase control over the team. Maybe not all the personnel for the 90 man TC roster, he doesn’t know enough about all of that, at least not yet, but definitely about how he wants to build his team. He’s responsible at the end of the day for wins and losses. The final 53 and game day 46 is Gase’s call.

Ross hired Tannenbaum to change the mediocre phase the team was in. TBaum along with Ross looked for a new direction with Grier and Gase. Here we are on year 2 coming off of a 10-6 playoff season not seen since 2008.

Okay, let’s see what the 2017 team looks like.

72. Rhino says:

HOw many 7th rounders have made our team over the years. Few and far between. Compared to a guy who has at least done it at this level before…. Thomas for 7th rounder is a no brainer.

February 20, 2017 at 6:25 pm (Edit)

Tim, I’d say the vast majority of twitter is ridiculous. But it is entertaining.

And i know you are talking about Dolphins news. Just joking.

74. After hearing the news on the Albert Trade from before and the possibility of drafting a TE in the 1st rd I had to leave for awhile and go and straighten some shit out.
    That’s better.

Hey, Jax cut Odrick….we could get him back….

YOUNG STANGER: Congrats on your 10th ANNIVERSARY!! — I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know both of you over the last few years and what a joy it’s been!! You’re both terrific!!
    —————
    Yesterday my oldest Grand Daughter turned 31. Mrs. OD and I called her to wish her an ultra happy b’day. We went to the hospital the evening she was born in West Palm Beach. What a thrill to see your first grand kid!! – – Hard to believe 31 years have passed since then! We’ll get to see her in about 2 months when we travel to the Chattanooga area for another convention. She, her husband, and their 3 kids will be waiting for us at their home about an hour west of Chattanooga.
    ————–
    Quite happy with tonight’s Dolphin developments. Now if we can just get those 3 major holes filled!! Good night to all of you.

77. hey, you stockpile those 7th rd picks. just ask Ireland.

Still don’t get the need to trade Albert

We decided to pay Tunsil $2.8+M at LT rather than Albert at $10.6M. I was all about them sticking together one more year. Not the case, so off we go to the next season.

Thomas is a nice TE but those numbers were mostly because of Manning more so than his ability. He was no where near the same level of production in Jax and he didn’t really help Bortles development

Ken says:
    February 20, 2017 at 9:11 pm
    Still don’t get the need to trade Albert
    My best guess is this:
    Tunsil at LT is an upgrade , and a far more cost effective option. Albert is declining, and can’t stay healthy. Instead of paying a premium at the LT position for someone inferior to Tunsil, they can focus on the G spots in FA or the draft. I tend to agree with this, and said as much when the talk of cutting him surfaced. Let’s get the best guy in at LT and figure out the rest.

Julius Thomas is probably not going to catch 12 TD’s next season for us, but that’s okay. We upgraded the TE spot (I still want to re-sign Sims if it doesn’t cost too much) and have threat there we haven’t seen in years, maybe since Keith Jackson. If we can re-sign Stills, we will have a formidable set of skill players on offense. If we shore up the G spots somehow, our offense should be lethal.

BRIAN: TOTALLY AGREE with your answer to Ken. Albert was an expensive option at LT. And his performance was declining noticeably (RE: the hit by Calais Campbell that ended Tannehill’s season, and, effectively killed Miami’s playoff hopes). Tunsil, on the other hand, is an All-Pro candidate who’ll cost the Dolphins FAR LESS. SIGN ZEITLER, or some F/A of comparable talent, and draft Elflein in round 2 and we’ll have our O-Line in pretty good shape. Use rounds 1 & 3 (comp pick projected) to address needs at LB and DE and we’ll be on our way. Freeing up millions of dollars that would have been used on Albert is just one of the factors that give Miami a reasonable chance to dramatically improve this team for the coming season. I congratulate the front office on these moves. But there are still many more moves that need to be made.

And, of course, there’s the issue of Tannehill’s health. If he returns to his 2016 form, the Dolphins will be a force to be reckoned with in the 2017 season (assuming the above moves work out).

• Brian in NY says:

I am still pretty concerned about his knee. I don’t like the fact that they were still considering knee surgery 7 weeks after the injury.

Albert would have been costly but we have significant cap space. Now we are back in the market for OL when we could have been looking to invest more on the defensive side of the ball

• Brian in NY says:

I think it’s a good move Ken. Albert has declined, and will likely continue to do so. Tunsil will be better than him, and you have to think that we will grab at least one solid FA guard.

It just seems we got weaker at a position we were finally starting to get stronger in. I am tired of 2 steps back for every step forward. When healthy Albert is still an excellent OT

Ken

I think they’re looking for stability. The handwriting was on the wall when they spoke about the Atlanta Falcons O-line, and how each and every player started ALL 16 games. I think after seeing that Ken, that’s what they’re looking to do here. They want to find 5 guys that they count on being there every game, as well as doing their jobs well. Albert could only give you the latter.

The Atlanta OL this year was an anomaly. I am not saying it wouldn’t be great to have all 5 start all 16 games but that is not realistic

Not really an anomaly. It’s something to strive for though, consistency, With Albert and Pouncey both being counted on, you know it wasn’t going to happen. The Cowboys had 3 of 5 play all 16, and the other 2 missed 3 and 4 games.

• I think when you’re talking about Atlanta the thing they’re looking to duplicate, if anything, is their defense. I think they’re looking to get smaller and quicker at both DE and LB and we’re most likely going to see that with what they do in both FA and the draft.

Ken

I think we are stronger at LT with Tunsil
    Our OL migh be better with less shuffling too
    I think we were already in the market for 2 OGs anyway
    I would have expected Albert to help give us a cushion so we can bring an OG along slowly

The need for 2 OGs was inevitable
    I think the difference with the trade is that it happens this offseason rather than over the course of 2 offseasons

But I’m glad Tunsil will be a LT now rather than later
    I was calling for Albert at OG anyway
    And that was just sort of a play out your contract move…

Lou, neither Schwenke or Larsen ever started and played a full 16 game season, and I’m not sure who Wagner is. What makes you think they can do it here? Like I said to Ken, I think they want a line that that they can set and forget, and both Larsen and Schwenke are C’s. How does that really help us?

• right, and Larsen and Schwenke both being C’s helps a lot because both can play G and they can also move to C if needed. Face it, guys like Sam Young and Urbik aren’t good at what they do and having three guys like this that we can move around on the line will help us a lot.
      Wagner was a LT in college, plays RT in the NFL and can also play G. So, you have 3 guys that are a huge upgrade to what we’ve got right now that give you position flexibility.
      I know you may not agree with this but these are three players I’ve watched since college and they’re good players.
      We get all three for less than what it costs to bring in a guy like Zeitler and it significantly upgrades the talent on our offensive line.

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:

February 21, 2017 at 10:20 am (Edit)

***************************

I’m not sure if it was Tannenbaum or Gase who actually spoke about the Falcons O-line, and how every guy played the entire season, and that’s the consistency he’d like to have here in MIA.

• Brian in NY says:

I think every team would like that, but the entire OL playing every game isn’t realistic; injuries are inevitable. That said, I would like our OL to be a lot healthier than they were last season. Albert was a big part of that, as was Pouncey. Hopefully Pouncey can stay healthy this season.

22: R1P22
    LB BRANDON BELL
    PENN STATE
    243: R7P22
    CB EZRA ROBINSON
    TENNESSEE STATE

89. Rhino says:

Julius Thomas restructuring his contract is a huge part of this entire ‘trade’ that adds value to Miami’s side.
    Someone a few days ago discussed moving Pouncey to G and signing/drafting a center. Late 2nd rd is where top centers are showing up. Maybe a solid reclamation of Tretter from GB.
    Throw the best contract at Zietler and we got a starting 5.

Ultimately, I think Fins are trying to work their way towards finding “iron men” for the OL. Injuries have derailed our OL significantly the last couple years.

• Brian in NY says:

Absolutely. My only concern with Pouncey at RG is he struggled when we had him there a few years ago. Maybe with a full training camp he can do better.

• Rhino says:

I agree. I remembered Pouncey at RG as I was typing it, but with all of his hip problems he might embrace it more emphatically. What about LG next to Tunsil… Zietler has the RG spot 😉

In our zone system is our LG still the pulling one? Pouncey’s great strength is getting to the 2nd level and bouncing LBs around.

Mike’s idea of an OL.

91. Rhino says:

then again, maybe Fins draft an OT to play one of the G positions like Dallas did with Zack Martin.

Mike E — thanks for throwing out to the Mrs on Facebook. You did me a solid. Had to do it on the fly, but worked out real well….including with your help.

You’d think after ten years I would know better than to trust when she said she didn’t feel the need to anything special for the day. 🙂

93. Rhino says:

any chance the Fins in 2nd round have contingency plans to “trade up” if necessary for Pocic. Seems like a guy who along with Pouncey could be interchangeable at C/G based on what ends up working out the best.

Not sure we will need to trade up for Pocic

• Rhino says:

His ranking puts him in the vicinity of our 2nd pick, but with so few legit Centers I’m wondering who ahead of us would ‘reach’ to ensure getting the top rated center.

• Rhino says:

it looks like Cincy is the biggest threat to reach for him in the 2nd… if he gets past them then it looks like we’d be in a good spot to wait for him.

Stanger, Pouncey is at his best at center where he gets out into the 2nd level. I understand being concerned about his durability, but I don’t understand moving him to guard.

Unlike others, I don’t even remember him playing guard. So what do I know? Have to think the pulling opps are greater at G than C though.

95. Mike E,
    In addition, you bring in one guy like Zeitler, paying him all that money, and if he goes down who are you putting in his place? Urbik? Nah. Give me those three. One goes down and it’s plug ‘n play.

I agree you’re getting some talent for less $$$, but you know where that gets you sometimes. I’d feel more comfortable getting Zeitler and then drafting one of the top OG/C in this draft, and there are a few. I wouldn’t mind picking up one or two of those guys for depth, but in my head, I can’t just run with those guys as my starters. Just how I feel Lou, not saying you’re wrong.

96. Rhino says:

perhaps you’re right about Pouncey. It may have been part of the decision to shut him down this year and get “fully healed”. I’m sure the Phins knew we weren’t ready for a deep run in the playoffs this year… and perhaps had an eye to 2017 when they did shut Pouncey down. I think it is going to be a significant story when camp starts. A healthy Pouncey at center is definitely our best scenario, especially in the run game. Tunsil on the left made for a great gap for Ajayi. Perhaps Zietler on the right will do the same…. finding another top notch guard for the left could make Ajayi the rushing champ next year. 🙂

Pouncey really is the key. He makes that whole OL stronger, not only because you have a seasoned veteran with chemistry with out QB but also because without the strong center it disrupts the rest of the unit entirely, we can scheme away from some weakness on one side or the other, there is no scheming out if weakness at the center.

Also Pouncey as much as people here want to downplay his leadership and contribution to setting the OL blocking schemes up, it is really apparent to me what contribution he makes in those respects.

We do need to get him a reliable and capable backup, and not an OG who is stepping in as an OC, but Pouncey is vital to this offense.

As for BA, it’s a for sure loss to not have him, but it was a band aid waiting to be ripped off. It was going to happen and it’s probably better it happens at a time we are prepared for it and planning for it and not when we aren’t and are having to scramble to address it.

I would have rather done it once we had a solid addition to the OL, like after aquiried another starting OG, but assuming our plan is to do this in FA, and we had a chance to make this deal now, it makes sense we would move sooner than later. Again we need to look at this less like a net loss but more as a filling one spot, addressing something that would eventually be addressed anyways, while being prepared to do what was needed to fill the gap leftover.

Wagner would be a decent option for us in FA but I think he is going to be fairly expensive anyways.

With BA gone, and Tunsil being moved to LT, I would for sure look at both It’s in FA and draft, and now I’d look for that draftee to be a starting caliber guy vs a potential starter, unless we double dip in FA on the OL. Zeitler, and Pocic to me is the best pair we could hope for. You would have a strong RG in zeitler, built and trained to play in a system like ours and Pocic who has played all positions on the OL at a high level, could be the backup OC and starting LG, with Steen backing up the LG or RG, which is a more natural position for him

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 56s56 seconds ago
    Bit of housekeeping: Ex-Browns slot CB K’Waun Williams recently visited the Dolphins. The belief is an offer is “forthcoming.” Stay tuned.

so did we trade for a quality QB yet? because Gimpy McCheckdown ain’t gonna win us the Super Bowl

Peyton decided to come back and play for Gase so we cut Tanny for a more expensive checkdown option. His name is Checkdown McNoodlearmus though.

• pheloniusphish says:

Ohhhh…..That’s why you were on the Debbie Downer list! you are not an innocent bystander in the drive by!

sb7mvp says:

February 21, 2017 at 1:14 pm (Edit)

**********************
    Trade with what? Do we have any f****** picks left to trade??????

Piggy I could see Pocic going before we pick in the second. I could see the need to trade you in that round to get him for sure. He might even go late first if some teams without a lot of other needs finds an opportunity to get him there. NE for sure might be one of those teams.

D

Foles is somewhat of an enigma

So Albert deal is Albert for a 2018 late round pick. And Thomas deal is Thomas and a 2017 late rounder? Each as separate deals?

D,
    That’s why Wake is affordable.

I think K’Waun Williams is just competition like Steve said. He doesn’t have a great body of work.

Interesting thought from a Ravens fan worried about us. Imagine our line with Brandon Williams. Who would care who was at the other DE at that point? Guessing whoever was at LB and DB wouldn’t mind either.
    ——————————————-

Checking Spotrac and their ‘Market Value’ evaluator, Brandon Williams is due for a 5 year, $62 million contract. Miami can absolutely afford the price-tag, and with a decent general manager to balance the contract with the cap, the Dolphins could punish teams with the force of Ndamukong Suh, Cameron Wake and Williams.

While it looks overboard on one focused position, the reasoning to upgrade the defensive line further involves their division nemesis, the New England Patriots. With Tom Brady continuing to embarrass Father Time, the Dolphins plan could be simply attack relentlessly through the defensive line.

• Brian in NY says:

I read another article about us targeting him. I just don’t see it happening as we have way too many other needs to fill.

Stanger, I meant I don’t think so as in Albert coming back to us at guard.

I doubt it as well now, even if was hoping for it before. And do like Albert. Still curious how the deal was split though. Could have been cause of either side, but had to be a reason……

110. dbolt48 says:

In regards to Williams visiting, I do believe it’s to push McCain for a job or off the roster. You have to question his maturity & wether that’s holding him back. Seems like a player similar to Walt Aikens where he can help on STs, but something isn’t quite clicking for him on D.

“You’d think after ten years I would know better than to trust when she said she didn’t feel the need to anything special for the day. ”
    Oh Stanger, please tell me you didn’t fall for that one!

Oh yes I did . But she even seemed to buy into the reasoning the day before. Stupid man am I. Regrouped in a flurry though and it turned out OK. After left with the thought that the main point was more about power dynamics and finger on the button……but if that is what it was she knows she still has that. 🙂

We need Zeitler, Lang, or Leary. I doubt Lang leaves the Pack though.

Steve

The pick we got is for Branden Albert, a 2018 7th RD pick

We gave up a 2017 7th RD pick to get Julius Thomas

• Brian in NY says:

You think anyone will give us a third and a fourth for Caroo?

Not now. What I don’t understand is how that kid couldn’t see the field. When you make that kind of trade, you have to be thinking that this kid is an impact player to give up 3rd and 4th RD picks. Maybe he was just immature, but I can say Parker better pick up his play, or Carroo (If he wakes up) can steal it.

• Brian in NY says:

I was kidding. I don’t either Mike. I thought it was a poor decision at the time, and I really hate the trade now. Giving up draft picks forces you to be more aggressive and take chances in FA, which doesn’t usually pan out too well.

I know Mike I was goofin on what he wrote.

Bri

Mike Tradey-Pants can’t help himself. He needs the action

I’m pretty sure the potential trade for Thomas is heavily Gase influenced. He knows what he can do and wants that option in his passing game.

Timtradamus, way to go out on a limb.

It was basically a reply to Mike saying “Mike Tradey-Pants can’t help himself. He needs the action”

• pheloniusphish says:

It’s a good trade – low cost, incentive driven contract. Gives them a potential seam threat TE that was absent last year without keeping them from signing other players. If he doesn’t work out they are no worse off than last year at TE (if they re-sign Sims).

So Miaimi is at $42M before Albert’s salary comes off the cap, $50M-ish after, and they can clear another $7M or so by moving Misi and Jordan. Plenty of cash to fill some holes.

Selective salary capping? What about Thomas’ cap?

• Brian in NY says:

Thomas re did his contract Steve.

Draft picks are just throw ins. I like it though simply because Gase knows Thomas to the tune of two Pro Bowls. No we don’t have Manning, but we do have Gase.

• pheloniusphish says:

I don’t have the numbers on it so I left it out. I would guess about $5M before incentives. So subtract that from above.

Brain — Thomas may redo his contract…….but am thinking if he does it turns into like a two-three year guaranteed for a lot less money (and don’t worry about the back-end “fluffer” stuff even if the total is big.

It’s funny when fans value draft picks so highly but then there are times when they say if we wait too long like until the 3rd or 4th rd to address a position there may not be much quality left.

If you build a good roster it doesn’t matter how you did it. If you don’t build a good roster with all your moves than you did a bad job.

• Brian in NY says:

But it matters how you build it Tim. In today’s NFL, you need to hit on draft picks in that first contract to get something out of your lower priced players. Without those draft picks, you are unable to do that, forcing you to grab guys in FA and paying them more. If the draft picks don’t work out, it doesn’t hurt you too much. If the FA’s don’t work out, it can cripple a team.

Our team is made up of a ton of our own draft picks and some UDFAs though. If you have cap space and you want to be competitive you have to use it. I don’t understand the concern here. What have we done that’s so outrageous?

Anybody have thoughts on this Austin Pasztor, OG-CLE?

I was talking about Mike Tradey-Pants’s Carroo trade, not Julius Thomas.

But you think of him that way in general. I’m not even sure the Carroo trade was all him. I think it had to do with our board and where we had players graded. Carroo was likely our BPA and we went after him. We had already drafted Drake with our 3rd so we traded back into the 3rd. It was obvious we felt the talent dropped off by the 5th rd and that’s why we traded back and ended up with two 6s and two 7s.

It’s not just about picks, but what you deem the talent level to be. You could have 12 picks and hit on only 5 because most of them just weren’t that good. That doesn’t necessarily mean you drafted poorly, it might have been a weak class.

We’ll see how it all pans out in the next couple of years which I think is our window to go for it with many of the current players we have possibly moving on by then.

Top ten youngest FA OG and their 2016 salary

Chance Warmack G 25 TEN $3,041,663
    Larry Warford G 25 DET $768,750
    Hugh Thornton G 25 IND $683,845
    Oday Aboushi G 25 HOU $589,750
    Kevin Zeitler G 26 CIN $1,886,050
    Austin Pasztor G 26 CLE $1,671,000
    Ron Leary G 27 DAL $2,553,000
    Tim Lelito G 27 NO $1,671,000
    Tom Compton G 27 ATL $785,000
    Patrick Omameh G 27 JAC $675,000

Phelon

I don’t know nuthin’ about Pasztor, but now I keep hearing Chrissie Hynde singing O-ma-meh, o-ma-meh, O-ma-mehhhhhh, Ev-er-y daaaaay, Uh-huh

I watched some video of Julius Thomas and he’s a weapon in a myriad of ways. He opens the field. He has scored inside the 10 on pitches that go down as forward passes. He beats DBs. It wasn’t just Peyton although it didn’t hurt that Peyton was right on the money on a lot it. LOL

Doesn’t hurt that it was a Gase designed offense either. Gase likes to use TE’s when he has the talent there. He used RB’s & WR’s to hold LB’s for a sec, and spread the defenses out. This is why Julius could thrive, not so much because Manning was some magician.
      The offense in Jax has been run horribly, and with nothing to speak of in the Running game to help set up big gains by the TE’s.

Miami DolphinsVerified account
    ‏@MiamiDolphins
    We have signed long snapper Winston Chapman to a free agent contract.

They keep bringing them in and John Denney keeps on ticking. Although Denney is a UFA at 38 years of age.

February 21, 2017 at 4:55 pm
    Last year may be the start of Salary Cap hell for us Tim. You keep trading away draft picks, and you have to go to FA. Carol was not necessary, no matter where he was on the board. BPA doesn’t mean you trade draft picks for a pick you don’t have. BPA is the pick you currently have. Of course there is a significant talent drop off from the 3rd to the 5th, but if you keep trading up because of that, you deplete your future draft picks, and don’t give yourself a chance at the Lamar Miller’s, Reshad Jones, etc.

Caroo not Carol

I knew who you meant. 🙂

Well it worked out because I’ll take Ajayi over Miller at a much cheaper price, and Jones is still with us. We’re also in good shape with the cap. As new contracts go up others expire.

Also realize that Ross hired Tannenbaum to get us out of mediocre hell that we’ve been in since the 2008 season and we were bad before that one year. We’re trying to win. Do we just want to keep building for 3-4 years with the hope that we win a super bowl in 5 years? Why not now? A lot of players we invested in won’t be here in a few years.

I think that way about him because it’s what he does. You think it’s coincidence that all of all a sudden we’re trading away picks like he operated with the Jets? He may have changed the logo on his shirt, but he likely hasn’t changed his stripes.

I don’t see any craziness though. None of the trades “he” has made with us have been over the top.

Again it comes down to the comp picks this year. If they were wrong on that then they possibly made a mistake if Carroo isn’t anything more than average.

Julis is 6’5 250 and runs a upper 4.6-4.7 with a sweet 35 1/2″ vertical.
    If he stays healthy he becomes a steal in Miami with Gse running the offense and Tanny also being able to roll out, something Peyton couldn’t do!!!

One guy I would take a look at is Mike Harris at guard. It was really weird what happened to him this past year in Minnesota. He was supposedly hurt, but he talked like he could have played. He was starting to look like he was getting good by the end of 2015. If he can be gotten cheap, and I’d guess he can, I’d definitely kick his tires.
    ***
    Lelito, from the Saints is a young kid I’d take a look at too. Not a top notch player, but a young guy who may be ready to take that next step into a solid starting role somewhere. Again, a kid you might get cheap and who can play C/G. We need starters and depth at guard now.

I’m ready wyoming and will be there. Had the moves down in college. And at least will get to meet the girls and hang out.

Williams is also really small, which was not the type of DBs we were looking for before, though there is more than size that makes a good press CB. I could see him at NCB, again at least in the mix at it. He has to be better than Thomas at nickle, and he may be as good as McCain. Neither were great at nickle last year. Thomas looked way better at safety than nickle CB

I think the team really wants to make the secondary really competitive this year and hopefully staying healthier. We got destroyed last year.

Wyoming,
    I’m all over that cheerleader competition. All I do around here is cheerlead anyway! If I can kick my legs up over my head, I’m a no-brainer. Lol

Stanger, if you watch highlights of Thomas and he has scored 33 TDs the last 4 seasons, his best work is in the red zone even though he scored a bunch of times from outside of it. He scored in a lot of ways. He opens the field and against most LBs he’s a mismatch. He even beats DBs. He needs to get healthier too.

I think this is all a red herring, and we’re gonna trade 3 draft picks to jump up to the top 10 and pick Howard. MikeE has a heart attack because of the stress between wanting to strangle Tbaum for yet another crazy trade and the excitement of drafting Howard.

Wyoming,
    It was over 60 today. It’s been crazy around here lately.

Gase is an offensive coach. He wants his specialty to be special and then play defense off of it. Score often and force opposing offenses into mistakes. He’s not into 17-16 games even though it happens from time to time. That’s how we’re being built from what I see happening.

Last year was mostly defense in FA and offense in the draft. I see more of a mix this year but more heavy on defense in the draft.

I agree, but that’s just the way the chips fell last year, don’t force it.

They didn’t go into FA and the draft and say we’re going D heavy in FA…

Well even Gase said he thought we’d go more defense in the draft last year and the board didn’t flow that way. He cited Grier as doing a great job sticking to the board. No mention of TBaum. LOL

My point exactly, we all thought we’d go more D in the draft last year. We all expect D heavy in the draft this year, but you can’t count on it.

Brian in NY says:
    February 21, 2017 at 4:49 pm
    Thomas re did his contract Steve
    ——————————————
    I understand that, but what I was saying is Thomas doesn’t count against the cap? We were at 42M, then BA leaving took us to about 50M, then Thomas will lower it to about 43M.

This is RT’s season to establish himself as a franchise QB. His dead cap hit in 2018 is easy to walk away from. Even easier in 2019 if we feel we’re close so give it one more year.

Anyone watch the NBA All Star Game? Matador D at it’s finest. It was like a Globe Trotters Game.

LMAO @ Randy! Wouldn’t that be sumpin’?

Steve, I’m just going with the flow of what I’m seeing. Not trying to say anything is set in stone. It’s about acquiring talented players and trying to win. I don’t see us doing anything foolish thus far. I really don’t. It may not pan out but it’s not ludicrous speed. LOL

BTW – I wasn’t implying that Tannenbaum always makes stupid moves, just that he likes to trade and move around. I don’t even think it’s arguable, he likes to wheel and deal, some guys just do.

Fair enough. I just feel most fans hold him to his worst moves and nothing he has ever done well, waiting for the shoe to drop. I think that’s a bit unfair until it happens with us.

It will be at some point. Denney has been rock solid for almost two decades. Great at what he does. 17 years as our LS. Crazy!

• Brian in NY says:

I think it’s just someone to push him. The guy is nearly flawless- no reason to get rid of him and ask for problems.

How is fat, dancing cheerleader guy still fat?

141. Well, Williams signed with the 49ers so either MIA didn’t care for him or he didn’t care for MIA.

142. Let me further explain what I was getting at with what I believe is a better way to go with the offensive line in bringing in Schwenke, Larsen and Wagner rather than signing one really high priced free agent offensive lineman.
    1. If we sign someone like Zeitler to that huge contract I don’t want to see us rest on our laurels at that point. I’m not saying we won’t try and improve the offensive line by drafting another player but, to me, it’s still not enough and I’ll explain further what I mean.
    Let’s say we go into the season with Tunsil, draft pick, Pouncey, Zeitler and James as the starters. It’s all good, right? Maybe it is. Maybe I’m wrong.
    Thing is, it’s the NFL and INJURIES happen. The chances of all five offensive linemen being on the field every game together is probably slim and none. Bushrod and James played all 16 games last season. Started in every one. Tunsil played in 14 and started in 14. Also solid. But Albert missed games and so did Pouncey. Albert missed games for the 3rd year in a row and Pouncey’s missed games since 2013 and, while James played in and started all 16 games last year he missed games in ’15.
    Plus, we have a major ?? at center going into this season. Will Pouncey return full speed. Will he be back day one and will he play a full 16 game season. Granted Albert is no longer with the team so we don’t need to worry about his injuries but injuries happen.
    Wagner: comes with a price tag of around $27million. Can play LT, RT and G. Can challenge for a starting guard position on the offensive line. Plus, if James or Tunsil miss time due to injury we have a solid backup rather than relying on Sam Young, who is less than adequate.
    Schwenke and Larsen: both are centers in the NFL. both are not full-time starters but from the point of view of backups compared to Urbik and Steen they are major upgrades. Plus, if Pouncey goes down again we have an actual, bona-fide 2nd string center who can step in and take his place. They also bring competition to the offensive line, stronger competition than what we’ve currently got and are much more solid backups to what we’ve got.
    Steen can still compete for a roster spot. Great thing about Steen is if he doesn’t make the roster he’s still practice squad eligible.
    But, here’s the thing I’m looking at. We sign Zeitler to a big free agent contract. He’s plug ‘n play. We name him the starter from day one. He’s not competing for a roster spot. Is that what we should be doing or do we take guys who are still good enough to get the job done who are going to work harder to make the roster instead of just handing them the job.
    Let’s go out and draft our guard of the future this year like we got our LT of the future in Tunsil. Only difference is we don’t need to worry about the guard of the future dropping in our laps. As fare as free agency is concerned, let’s use it to solidify the offensive line from top to bottom with three guys who will compete for a starting spot, one of which has a great chance of winning one spot, and at the same time upgrading the depth and increasing the overall level of talent.
    thank you for reading my rant.

You guys keep glossing over Larry Warford. I think he’ll make a solid OG for years to come w/o breaking the bank.

• Warford is a good guard but the other guys, at this time, have more value to me and the reason for that is because the T and C positions are more valuable to the offensive line.
        It’s not easy to find a LT, RT or C and we were stuck with two backups last season that never played a down of football at C. the line needs to get more solid from top to bottom.
        If Tunsil, Pouncey and James can play an entire season that’s great. But, we saw last year what happened when we had to rely on what we had on the roster as backups at the C and T positions.
        Sam Young isn’t going to get it done and neither will Urbik and Steen get it done at center. Bring in guys who actually played center and bring in a solid tackle who can be plugged in at either tackle position if needed. Wagner has played both LT and RT and can play guard.
        I don’t know if Schwenke or Larsen have ever played guard but Urbik and Steen never played center and it’s a lot more difficult to learn to play center than it is to play guard.

• okay, found some info. while at Cal, Schwenke played 16 games at LG, 12 at C, and 8 at RG. So, position flexibility.
        Larsen played guard and center in the NFL while with the Bucs.
        Wagner has played only LT and RT so far.

143. To further go into detail I’m also looking at it from the point of view that you sign a guard, maybe it’s Zeitler, maybe it’s Warford or maybe it’s someone else.
    Okay, you signed a guard. But, let’s say it IS Zeitler. Lot of money for one guy and lot of money for a guard. yeah, it can solidify the offensive line but it’s one guy and it’s a guard. Yep, we need two guards and he fits the bill but it’s a guard.
    The offensive line is probably the toughest place to play on the team. You’ve got guys getting rolled up on, stepped on and what not. Injuries are going to happen.
    But, besides that, I’m also looking at it from the point of view of what the more valuable positions are on the line. Those are the tackles and center. Not guard; tackles and center.
    So, you lose a guard and a lot of guys can play guard. It’s not a specialized position. Center is by far the most specialized position on the line. You need to make the offensive line calls and you pretty much always have a guy lined up right over the top of you so you’ve got to concentrate on getting the snap right and then you’ve got to be quick enough to get up out of your stance and take on that guy who’s bad breathe is in your face.
    LT protects the QB’s blind side. RT, you’re facing another pass rusher. But, guard? Not as valuable.
    Two guys who are actual centers and one guy who’s played both RT and LT, all 3 of which can play guard for us if a win as far as I’m concerned and it’s more of a win than signing one high priced guard who, if he goes down, we have Urbik or Steen to replace him with.

144. dbolt48 says:

LOL…did this mock earlier & funny how it fell:

YOUR TEAM: MIAMI DOLPHINS
    GAME OVER!

Your score is: 10385 (GRADE: B)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 32 (N.E.): Haason Reddick, OLB, Temple (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 22: Pat Elflein, C/OG, Ohio State (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 32 (N.E.): Tarell Basham, DE, Ohio (A)
    Round 3 Pick 34 (COMP): Anthony Walker Jr., ILB, Northwestern (A)
    Round 3 Pick 39 (N.E.): Elijah Lee, OLB, Kansas State (C+)
    Round 4 Pick 22: Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado (A-)
    Round 5 Pick 22: Michael Roberts, TE, Toledo (C+)
    Round 6 Pick 22: Eric Saubert, TE, Drake (C)
    Round 7 Pick 22: Travin Dural, WR, LSU (C+)

Your Future Picks:

LB MARQUEL LEE
    WAKE FOREST
    207: R6P22
    DL STEVIE TUIKOLOVATU
    SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Lou

You gave up on Steen? I remember there was a point this year you thought Steen might be better than Pouncey, unless maybe you just meant hurt Pouncey. lol

I give Lou some credit; I’ve been checking out Forrest Lamp, and he looks really good.

Lou

Young was signed to a 1YR contract this year. He’s at least here for this season

150. One would think the team is going to be more focused on the defensive side of the ball this year, especially in the draft, but something tells me that because Gase is an offensive coach that he’s going to go after more offensive talent. Some of it may be on the o-line, which is good, but I can see us taking two in the first two rounds instead of going defense.

• It sucks but I just get that feeling that the offensive side of the ball is always going to be more important. Denver put up a lot of points with him there and the offense was great but they also had a great defense too and that helped a lot.

“So, you bring in 3 players in Schwenke, Larsen and Wagner” — I could see that and it would come with a safety factor. What do you figure the total price tag would be?

And nice write btw. Know you got your own blog going, but pretty sure the admin gods here would love to turn the front page over to you for a post or three if you wanted.

NEW BLOG UP!

OD,

Love this as usual. Good stuff! Hello, everyone!!How is everyone doing this offseason?

On to today’s team, I love our moves so far. BA always injured so we trade him off. We need a TE and get a great one. Now we can focus on OG and D in the draft. Small draft pool but the bonus selections should help some. LB, OG, DL, CB, what else is needed lol? Seems like half the defense sometimes.