2017 NFL Draft – Offensive Line

Alrighty then, let’s take a look at the big boys . . .

Forrest Lamp OT/OG 6’4” 309 Western Kentucky

forrest-lamp-wku-660-350

Lamp is one of the highest rated OL in the 2017 NFL draft. He’s a versatile lineman who has played mostly at tackle, but has also played inside at OG. Much like Cowboys OG Zack Martin, Lamp is considered a very clean prospect who can likely play anywhere on the OL. He was a 4 year starter at LT, and although he played for a small program at Western Kentucky, most scouts feel he will transition to the NFL as an early starter. NFL.com has Lamp rated at 6.2. Lamp did well at the combine running a 5 second 40, putting up 34 reps, did a 111.00” broad jump, and a 7.55 cone, all in the top performer category. I think he would be an impact pick at #22, as he would start immediately at one of the OG spots.
****************************************************

Pat Elflein OC/OG 6’3” 303 Ohio State

pat-elflein-1b729d2e812144f5

Elflein is truly a versatile pick, as he has played all the interior OL positions at Ohio State, and did it well. Playing both LG and RG, his Senior year, coaches asked Elflein to move to C, and he was considered a first team All American. Compared to Cowboys All-Pro C Travis Frederick, Elflein is a strong leader. Not impressive at the combine, Elflein probably needs work in the weight room, but he does have a strong lower body, which is also important. He would definitely give us flexibility on the O-line, and also big time insurance if Pouncey were to go down again. Rated at 5.85 on NFL.com
****************************************************

Dion Dawkins OT/OG 6’4” 314 Temple

94d720_da77f71ea5af482ea95ee4f0d1a9139f~mv2

Temple tough! New Jersey native Dion Dawkins is my favorite if we don’t take Lamp at #22. Has played LT and also has played RT. Long arms and has tackle size, many see him as a good fit at OG because of his power style play. I could see him right now at RG opening up holes for Ajayi, and if you’re thinking he’s just a run blocker, this AFC West scout said this:
“I don’t know if I see him as a guard or a tackle yet, but I think he can play both. I like him because I think he could upgrade our pass protection inside if we did bump him to guard, but he’s athletic enough to play right tackle, too.” Dawkins is rated at 5.8 by NFL.com
****************************************************

Dorian Johnson OG 6’5” 300 Pittsburgh

usa-today-8107869.0

Came to Pittsburgh as a 5 start recruit as a tackle, but was convinced to play G after playing 2 games at tackle. 39 game starter at LG. Athletic, tough and smart player, but not a power player. Should be one of the top 5 OG’s taken in this draft. NFL comparison is Jack Mewhort. Like Dawkins, Johnson should expected to come in and start immediately for an NFL team. FTR, he didn’t pass Son’s BP test, putting up only 21 reps. Johnson was rated at 5.83 by NFL.com
****************************************************

Taylor Moton OT/OG 6’5” 319 Western Michigan

NCAA Football: Cotton Bowl-Wisconsin vs Western Michigan

Moton has the size to play either outside or inside, and has done both at Western Michigan. He played 25 games in his first 2 season at RT, but then moved to right guard for the rest of his college career. Large frame, and huge hands, scouts feel he played better inside than out. Very strong hands though, and has a good punch. Also has a very quick first step. Since it looks like we may looking for a RG, I guess Moton fits that bill. Put up 23 reps (Still short on the Sonny Scale) but did well in the vertical and 20 yd shuttle. NFL.com has Moton rated at 5.68
****************************************************

Ethan Pocic C/OG 6’6” 310 LSU

ethan-pocic-lsu

Pocic is yet another OL that would give us flexibility, and also insurance against C Mike Pouncey going down. Pocic has played both RG and C, and yes, he did well at both positions. Pocic (pronounced Po-sick) is a pretty good athlete, and he put up 26 reps (passing on the Sonny Scale). A little tall for a C, but then again, Pouncey is 6’5”, so not a big deal. Pocic was rated at 5.7 on NFL.com, and his player comparison is Brandon Linder.
****************************************************

Dan Feeney OG 6’4” 305 Indiana

ct-sta-football-indiana-dan-feeney-st-0710-20160708

Feeney is more of a pure OG, but was asked to play RT this past season at Indiana due to injuries. Good pass protector, a little bit of nasty in him too. Thicker upper body but not so strong in his lower body, he tends have balance issues. An AFC scouting director said he wouldn’t take Feeney until day 3, not exactly a ringing endorsement. Feeney put up 26 reps (passing the Sonny Scale). NFL comparison is Clint Boling, and Feeney was rated at 5.79 by NFL.com
***************************************************

Isaac Asiata  OG  6’3″ 323   Utah

Isaac-Asiata-Cal-Falemaka-1

If you’re wondering, Asiata is related to RB Matt Asiata, he’s his cousin. Asiata has played RT and LG at Utah, but realistically, he’s best suited to play OG at 6’3”. Big and strong, Asiata crushed the Sonny Scale with 35 reps. He may be better off in a power scheme, and not a ZBS like we run, but he’s a mean and nasty road grader, so we’ll see how things play out. I’ve seen him mocked to MIA quite often in the mid to later RD’s, not sure if there’s anything to that. NFL.com has him rated at 5.51, and his NFL comparison is Jeremiah Poutasi.
****************************************************

Lots of guys to choose from, and there are more I haven’t covered, I’m sure GDP will be happy to include the ones I forgot.  😉

I do think we will be taking an OL at some point in this draft, and I won’t at all be surprised if it’s pick #22 if the right guy is there.  We’ll see soon enough, just about 22 days away!  Next week I’ll take a look at the linebackers, and then the following week, the safeties will dance.

380 Responses to 2017 NFL Draft – Offensive Line

Primo!

BTW – D wrote the Jabrill Peppers commentary, Piggy wrote the Zach Cunningham commentary, and Lou wrote the Forrest Lamp commentary. 😀

Asiata visited the team recently

I knew about Matt being Isaac’s brother, but its still shocking to think about it lol. I mean what kinda runt is Matt coming from a Samoan genetics. At least Isaac is more representative of their heritage. Matt should be ashamed, there are Samoan babies that big!

LOL — I figure in Somoa they talk about Matt and say, “hey maybe we can do something other than Line or LB.” But for sure what a gene pool.

Mike E — what awesome info and presented as well as it could be.

They all sound so good, that am actually downgrading the chance that we take Lamp in the first. Seems we could take Peppers, one of the DEs, some other faller, or someone like Obi for pure value and still have a starting G in the 2nd or 3rd. And even if we have been burned by that thinking before….would free up our options…

Lamp to me is still really in the discussion, BUT for me it would have to take a lot of other guys not making it to us to make him the guy i selected. I just cant see how he will be top of our board when they get to us.

But yet some guys who get paid for it are wondering whether or not Lamp will be there at #22. No doubt he would be value there….so am sarting to think he and a trade down are the fail safes.

Pocic to me offers the best for what we need right now esepcially with his position flexibility to play almost any spot on the OL, but i do really like Dawkins, Johnson and Asiata as wel, i just think their roles are more limited to the OG spot, well maybe Dawkins wouldnt be but the other two for sure. I think i like Moton if what we are really trying to do is get a potential swing tackle/replacement RT and we would just be ask them to compete at OG this year.

7. dbolt48 says:

Should be noted that they’re still showing strong interest in Kyle Fuller out of Baylor. Senior Bowl meeting and he’s also being flown into Miami for a private workout. Can play all 3 interior spots.

There is a safety out of Baylor they have met with a couple of times too, Orion Stewart, wouldnt be a bad idea to pair someone that is familiar playing with Howard in the same secondary, but there are the same early development fears coming from the Big 12, that there were with Howard. At least they will know though the obstacles they faces with Howard and somewhat predict where they would have to really strengthen a kid coming from the same program.

Lol i whiffed on that name i was thinking the CB, i knew i was confused by something because i kept thinking, Fuller was drafted a few years back i thought lol. Fuller the OG not CB.

This might not be fully up to date, but this is the list of guys we have had in for visits.
    Chase Allen, ILB, Southern Illinois
    Isaac Asiata, OG/OC, Utah
    Jonathan Calvin, DE, Mississippi State
    Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
    Dylan Cole, OLB, Missouri State
    Justin Evans, S, Texas A&M
    Shaquil Griffin, CB, UCF
    Josh Jones, S, N.C. State
    Raekwon McMillan, ILB, Ohio State
    Deatrich Wise Jr., DE, Arkansas

I also found that we have these guys for private workouts/interviews at their Pro days, or have shown extended interest in from other meetings.
    Jonathan Allen, DT/DE, Alabama
    Dan Feeney, OG, Indiana
    Elijah Lee, LB, Kansas State
    Malik McDowell, DT/DE, Michigan State
    Jordan Willis DE, Kansas State

April 6, 2017 at 11:52 am

———————————
    When you read about some of the stuff out there, you get wild contradictions in rankings. I mean there are people who swear some guys are first round grade, have teams that have them as first round greads (at least reported to) and then others that think they are 3rd rounders. Really hard to know.

I know when they choose the guys who will attend the draft, especially day 1, you will find out who truly has a team with a first round prediction on them because they have to limit the number of people they invite to that draft selection ceremony and they base it on what teams have 1st round grades on them. Thats an official list, the teams turn in their lists of people they might take in the first so the NFL can make up the invites. When that list is published you will have the only glimpse of an official ranking of players and its just a glimpse no real feeling of where they actually rank in the first.

I like Jordan Willis a lot. Do you think we’d have to take him at #22, or can we get him in the 2nd?

I tink he is probably a pretty solid second rounder, but i am not sure he is a “makes it to 54” guy. Its possible if we really wanted him we would have to trade up in the second.

I would like him on our team. I know it was Hickey who took James at #19, but if he’s the guy we like, I wouldn’t have a problem taking him at #22

Good write up, Mike. We should be able to land a guard at some point. LOL

It’s been said before, but there are plenty of places we can go at 22. I’d like a trade down to pick up extra spots, but if we stay put and grab someone there, I won’t be mad unless it’s a QB, WR, or RB. This team is still in desperate need to find some youth/stability in many positions.

If 22 carried the value to get us a 2nd, even a late second or a mid 3rd and 4th that we could use to trade back into the second, id be willing to do that, but i wouldnt want to give up the chance to get a really good prospect at 22 without being able to get at least some peices that allowed us to add another second rounder in the process. I looked at the teams and where they were picking and whom might be feeling the need to trade up and i just don’t see where we could get adequate value trading back. It will take something unexpected happening in the draft to get us a partner willing to give up enough to make it worth us. I feel we might trade up or down in other rounds but i feel confidant there isnt much reason to do either in the first.

Tanoh Kpassagnon is beginning to really make me think about him in the second round, and maybe even a double tap on DE first and second. Only concern i have for Kpassagnon is the same reason he is also really intriguing. He is a super rare combination of physical size yet quickness and speed to go with it. Kinda get the feel of a younger version of Calais Campbell and i could see them mixing him in at the DT position but primarily id be thinking of him as a pass rusher. I think Willis is generally seen as the more safe selection, and more ready for DE out the gate but the ceiling, literally and figuratively, is higher with Kpassagnon i feel. I also think Willis is less likely to make it to 54, where Kpassagnon would almost certainly be there and might even be able to be taken in the third with a trade up in that round.

His height at the DE position means he will have to maintain really good strength and good technique to compensate for not being able to easily get under the pads of a LT. Long armed guys usually compensate with a good swim move or having good punch that keeps the OT away from their body. Would just have to see how he would develop in those areas.

I like him for his size and what he could be, but at this point he’s not a great DE.

April 6, 2017 at 12:24 pm

————————————
    Yeah i dont think id argue that part, but to me the argument is, him vs another person who might be at 22. I am a firm believe of the draft position equaling whatever the team feels liek it is, so like ya said, if he was top of their board, they likely take him. Just like with Lamp though, i dont think thats who is going to be top of the board.

Im wondering if draft board might not be broken down by round. Like i was saying before, the teams submit the names of guys they would take in the first round so they know who to invite to draft night, so its completely feasible that they have their draft big board broken down by round and if the big board is empty for the first round when it approaches their pick, then they look for a trade back, and if not, they take the pick thats top of board for that round. That could mean that a guy like Willis might be a very low choice on the first round board, but still since he is the last man on it, he is the selection at 22.

I have always wanted to see those board so i can understand the strategies better, but thats the most protect information i have ever see with relation to NFL and its behind closed doors stuff.

Mike i think James was more generally a first round grade with only a few people thinking he was a high second rounder. Willis is the opposite of that with only a few thinking he might be a late first. Again, none of that matters, it only matters what Gase, TBaum and Grier think, so its possible and it would probably make abunch of pundits yell “reach” but like with James it is what it is.

D,
    Plus, boards have to be fluid because once the draft starts and guys start coming off your board, teams have to adjust and a guy/position you thought you may address in the 3rd, for instance, may need to be pushed up because certain guys you thought may be available….aren’t. The draft isn’t always about getting who you really want. It’s about figuring out who you can get from who’s left.

I would imagine the draft board being broken up by grade at each position, and each round. Like Tim has pointed out, horizontal, so you have a bunch of player with similar grades and you just move across to the best player available

RIP Don Rickles

Exhibit A as to why Peppers will make a great pick

23. dbolt48 says:

D,
    I’ve been higher on Kpassagnon than a majority of the DEs mentioned in round 1 since December. The thing that I like about him is he played as an athletic 3-4DE and dominated even when he received dbl and triple teams for the majority of the snaps when he was on the field. Overall I think he looks more athletic than say Taco when it comes to his ability to bend the edge and string moves together.

D

I don’t know about James. Not that the prognosticators are always right, but I don’t remember seeing James anywhere near the first RD, so there was a general consensus of his value that said otherwise. He was a 2nd or 3rd pick in most mocks to my recollection. NFL.com had him pegged between RD 2-3. I think he was a little bit of a reach, but not an outrageous one.

He was a need pick and we did reach a bit for him. Ireland fucked up the OL so bad in 2013 Hickey had to use multiple resources to fix it his first year as GM.

Just to be clear, I said he would be our pick before the draft, we all listed who we thought, and I said James would be our pick.

• dbolt48 says:

As draft season went on he leaped Koujandjo and Moses as the number 3 in the draft and was considered a late 1st when the draft rolled around.

RIP funny man Don Rickles.

26. Here’s one of the big problems I have with Jordan Willis. Not only did he play in the Big 12, which is a shit conference, two of his best games this past season were against backup offensive linemen; one of which was a freshman.

Couple that with the fact that he went up against starters who weren’t the best talent to begin with and you’ve got an average DE at best.

27. 3 Best DE’s in this draft:
    1. Garrett
    2. Barnett
    3. Smoot

Rickles was a funny man, RIP.

Pick 22

I tend to think Willis is a classic example of a guy who shoots up the draft boards at the right time (for him)

Once upon a time he was a sleeper

now some one is going to pick him earlier than he should be picked

I tend to think he has talent but isn’t going to come out as a NFL ready product – if he is drafted to high it will make him look like a disappointing pick bc he won’t be ready

IMO he should be a 3rd or 4th round draft pick

CBS NDS has him as a 2-3. There are a lot of DEs that will still be around in the 3-5 rds. One of Lou’s favs Smoot is listed as 4-5.

I would take Smoot over Willis
        I would also take DeMarcus Walker before Willis

the other guy in that tier is Tanoh

all those guys will be good picks in the 3rd or 4th

there is a group of guys in that tier that will be available – I guess its likely that 1 or 2 go int he 2nd bc pass rushers are coveted

it might be one of those “here comes the run on pass rushers” that happens in the draft when a few go off the board around the same time and all of the sudden a team is reaching for whats left

Davenport and Lamp = a new living room set

Son, it still hasn’t changed. QB, LT, DT, DE/Edge, CB are still the top coveted positions when the talent is there. The positions that have been devalued are RB, LB and S unless there is special but that goes for every position

2 safeties in the top 10 this year

and foster

and possibly 2 RBs (Fournette and Cook)

if you go top 15 it could include Cook as the 2nd back and OJ a TE and Cam Robinson as the only Tackle

I’m talking overall quantity. Like I said special at any position will go early. But the 5 positions I mentioned will always goes first when they’re special. It’s been that way since I’ve been following the draft going back to the late 80s.

Piggy, teams tend to draft the top prospects at a position that isn’t overly deep early and wait on deep positions knowing there will still be some available in other rounds. That’s why I think guys like Lamp and a couple of the tackles could go earlier than some expect because the talent on the OL this year isn’t very deep.

That’s reaching If the guy doesn’t grade as a first don’t take him in the first Lamp is a 2nd -3rd rounder.
      He’s an accessory.

I’m not saying I would do it, but it happens. Remember when Levi Brown went at #5 to ARZ, he wasn’t that great of a prospect. They reached for a need.

Forrest Lamp was born the same year Forrest Gump came out.1994

How many of these DE’s are ready to step in day 1 and give you quality starter production? Maybe 1 or 2 if that. I like Willis, I think he could be a good one. If he has to learn a little, that’s not a bad thing, because he’s just going to be getting minimal snaps this season anyway, with Branch and Wake signed.

What you talkin’ about Willis?

What about Fields or Hall?

If we do go DL in the first I want him to be a part of the rotation, not a developmental type. That we can get later. Any position for that matter in the first needs to make an impact.

Looks like there is a lot of conjecture swirling around still, with regards to Sherman and possibility of us making a play for him.

The Phinsider team were suggesting it would take our first and a conditional 3rd in 2018 to close the deal or a player swap and a pick.

As much as i do like Sherman, im not sure i could give up that first round pick. Its likely a 2 year rental, because he is going to up for contract for 2019 and its that weird age time for a CB where he will be 30, which is neither fully on the side where it makes sense you have to take a lesser contract and yet not fully on the side of feeling good about offering that guy a multi-year extension.

Money wise we could swing it, and i guess there could be some “Maxwell and a lesser pick package” they might could swing, but i for sure would not want to give up Howard if thats a player they might rather package.

Doubt there is any serious interest and this is jus talking heads but i guess its as good a thing to discuss as any. Sherman someone you’d want even at the costs above?

DE is the one position i could see them having any number of strategies for, talent in every round. Only thing that makes me think it will be at least one early is they need to have a guy who is ready to step in or potentially be called to step in in the next couple of years, so im not sure they would wait until late to make their first move at that position. I can say though i think we will get a really talented guy later to add another young guy who will eventually move himself into a starting role. Plenty of talent. When a guy of Wiser Jr and Bryan Cox Jr’s talent level is a mid-late guy, or a guy like Jonathan Calvin (who is pretty solid as well) is probably a 6-7th rounder, its a deep draft.

I consider DE the biggest need for the entire team. One more blown achilles, for anyone, and we’re screwed.

We also have a personnel staff that is big on DL. It’s easy to see where we’re going.

That cocky, smack talkin/can back it up mofo with Jones, Timmons, Wake and Suh.
    They’d start talking about us, you know, the empty suits.

I like the player, im just worried about giving up too much to get a guy who wont be here very long to contribute. If they felt good about his play past 30 and they could extend him now as part of the trade agreement, id be ok with that, especially if it we brought the draft cost down some by giving up Maxwell (which would also offset some of the cap hit). Its likely though they would want Howard. So, different question, if they said, Howard and your second this year, and 2018 conditional. Do you do that deal?

Fields might be another DJFF, the dude has some serious baggage. I like Hall a lot though, one of my favorites.

Too bad, Fields have worked well for us in the past.
      These guys won’t take a head case the likes of Jordan, Martin, Eggnuts et al we at least have that going for us.

I like the true DE’s that can both move around on the line as well as even give you some snaps as a LB. Get a young guy like that and develop him in your system. I like Lawson for it. He’s fast and powerful and plays all over the entire front 7.

But by true DE you are saying speed rushers? So really what you are talking about is a 3-4 OLB. 4-3 DE is meant more for hybrid run and pass rush, but not necessarily speed rush because most the time they are lined up directly over a blocker and its hard for most to get to the QB before they get the ball out, since most offenses have gone to more quick pass systems. We have been extremely lucky to get a couple different guys like Taylor and Wake who have really extraordinary ability to get around the blocker to make plays. Most of your dominant DE’s in 4-3 either have a mix of moves and the OL cant anticipate to defend them well, or they power through/over them. Mario in his hay day was the typical dominant 4-3 DE and he wasnt a speed rusher.

Not to get hung up in the weeds with it but a guy who plays 4-3 DE most of the time. Wake wins in large part with power then speed. Lawson shows similar use of power to set up his rush plus he’s fast. Fast enough to play LB in certain formations and even inside and stunting with a quicker DT.

I could also see Hassan Reddick. You get an athletic LB with pass rush ability. He won’t be a regular rush end in the pros, but he does know the art of attacking the backfield and the QB. Could be a very effective blitzer from any LB position. Has the athleticism to drop and cover ground. He gives us double of what we need in one player.

I think Reddick and Lawson are my 2 top guys right now. Similar players.

Use Reddick as the attack LB most of the time while he learns the finer points of playing 4-3 LB, with Alonso and Timmons as the read and react box LBs. That could be a nice group.

D, I also forgot to mention that I’d hate to see Howard as part of that trade. I like Howard a lot, just hope he stays healthy now. I doubt they’d want Maxwell back. They better not like Drake.(them I mean)

I wouldnt want it either, but i think our options would be our first and a 2-3rd conditional next year. like the person who wrote the article is suggesting, or a young player, with potential, who doesnt cost much against the cap in exchange for lowering the pick package.

Fields is a great player but he finds trouble everywhere he goes.

Reddick would probably be what we want in an OLB for the wide 9 concept. We rarely used the DE in the 9 tech last year, we almost always brought the OLB up and used them as the wide guy 9 tech. Reddick, due to his experience at DE and Lawson for that matter would be good in that capacity, im not sure though Lawson could handle coverages, etc. So he might be more a package player for certain times when certain formations are being called. If they were going full coverage he might have to come out on those plays. Ive never really seen him do anything in coverage so i dont have a clue what to expect there.

Exactly! He could be that weak side attack the backfield OLB in 2-pt. He also has the speed and athleticism to run and cover a back in the flat or force the run back inside. It’s easier to do that than learn all the read and react/zone coverages right away. That’s a part of his game he’ll need to develop, but I can see him as an impact LB who blows plays up.

My belief is they want a guy like Tanoh, Charlton, Wise Jr, Wormley, Allen, McDowell, etc for the DE spot, a guy that can play anywhere between a 3-7 technique, and LB’s on the outside they can have play as a pass rusher out of a 9 tech, and maybe even flip them occasionally but drop the LB out in coverage to confuse the blocking strategy and coverage formations. They showed some of this last year and they did it with the DE’s dropping back, but i think some of that was due to not having the right players.

I would love getting Reddick at #22 and a stout DE with some range and pass rush after that. That could go along way in improving this defense.

Hall should have been in that list too, so should have a lot of others. This seems to be a draft with lots of what i call true 4-3 DE’s

I think Cunningham gets you a similar player to Reddick, same with Jarrad Davis.

Tim Williams, Ryan Anderson, Duke Riley, all these guys probably give you similar players to different degrees, Williams for example might be a stronger rusher from the outside, but his coverage is probably lesser than a guy like Davis, Cunningham or Riley. Again, its a good draft for our needs and plenty of players that could make it work.

D, you know what we need at DE in this scenario with Reddick, a young version of Hayes. He’s not a sack finisher, gets his 4-5+ but he does rack up some pressures. He harasses the backfield. Adding a young DE to our rotation with the vet group we have along with Reddick and the addition of Timmons, and our front 7 could be really good.

Then maybe draft a speed/edge guy later to develop for down the road. We also have to find that 3rd pure DT but that can still be had in FA if not the draft. The 5th rd might be a place for a player like that.

Jarrad Davis, that’s another one I like.

Carl Lawson and Jarrad Davis = Homerun

I’ll take it. I really want to see the front 7 upgraded and we’ve made some moves to do so. Keep it going. We really don’t “need” any offense other than interior OL. We drafted a lot of skill players the last few years and added some via trade. Time to make the defense. 🙂

The O got Fasano, they’ll be fine

It would be hard to pass up OJ Howard for me. He’s a pretty unique TE prospect and its rare to see too many ones that are really dangerous offensive weapons that also have any balance as far as pass or run blocking and extremely rare to find one thats good at all three.

I would rather have Carl Lawson and Duke Riley

or Carl Lawson (or some other DE like Barnett), an OG in the 2nd and Anthony Walker in the 3rd

That is a home run of the pork variety

If i took Reddick at 22, id almost for sure target a DE in the second, and i think id go for either Tanoh or Walker, my only gripe on either of them is Tanoh is a ? on if he reaches his potential, just not real tested playing at V’nova.

Walker has issues that i also see in Lawson which is, they have a real nose for plays to their side,but when its an away from them play, they coast. Lawson’s might have been due to to haven gotten hurt the year before and he was trying to make sure that he didnt catch a blind side hit trailign a play. I mean its a legit concern, but IMO you play hard every play, not just ones you know you can help with, there is no telling if it cuts back to you and you could be the difference in a TD or a small/medium gain.

Walker also is kinda Phillipsish in he isnt great at conditionaing and gets winded easy. I remember the UF game he was sucking wind on the first drive, hands on his hips. He had a great game overall against us, but there were plays he was a non factor too. When Walker is on though he is an absolute beast, he just really needs to take his pro career more serious than he did his college one.

Son, was the Fasano comment sarcastic?

No he helps our Oline quite a bit
      He seems to be forgotten in all of this.

best blocking TE EVER!!!!

Honestly I would not mind taking a Kerry Kittles or a Jeremy Sprinkle if they are available in the 5th round to bring up under Fasano and replace Sims

Okay gotcha! If he can stay healthy he will definitely help in both run and pass blocking. He may only catch 10-12 passes but that’s not what’s he’s here for and he knows it. I liked the signing a lot after we lost Sims and it showed that the FO had a plan B while also trading for Thomas.

Gase’s offense will look a little different but will be better out of the gate than last year. He’s got a lot of options.

I really love the idea of a 2-TE set with Fasano and Thomas, Ajayi in the backfield with Landry, Stills and Parker rotating as the two WRs. At any time Thomas becomes another WR but on a LB or S. If opponents play that lineup in nickel we will run all day. It creates more man coverage and mismatches. 🙂

51. naplesfan2010 says:

I still like Dalvin Tomlinson at DT. He’s very smart and highly motivated, coachable kid and fierce. We’d probably have to take him at 54 after getting Reddick at 22 or a reasonable facsimile as noted above. Then we could get Asiata @ 97 and his nasty ass streak to develop into a starting OG pretty quick.

I think Tomlinson is going to be available much lower. He has productivity when he has ben on the field but the guy was pretty much a backup at Alabama the whole time. He doesn’t have a lot of snaps at his previous level. I think they know he has talent but i dont think he is going to rise all the way to the second round.

• naplesfan2010 says:

good then but will he last all the way to 97? I mean great if he does but I think he is one of those late rising guys who goes 20 picks higher on draft day based on talent. Another factor is there are not that many true quick style DTs this year after you take out the NT type guys.

I like it.
      I want 2 front 7 monsters if get anything else it’s gravy so a nasty ‘ol Guard would be great

52. naplesfan2010 says:

With our 7th we should get CB Jeremy Clark 6’3 220 CB/ST gunner from Michigan.
    He might be able to learn slot corner too. He is savage.

53. naplesfan2010 says:

Jon Toth is there in the 5th I think and a sleeper DL who we might have to get back into the 4th for is vanderdoes. I think if we miss out on Tomlinson, we should get vanderdoes.

I think Willis would definitely make an impact, I just meant he’s not going to send Wake or Branch to 2nd string in his 1st season. I think he’ll be a good one.

55. naplesfan2010 says:

We have 3 5ths. If we can’t package them to get back into the 4th, then we might very well grab a TE with one and a C with one and a raw but talented DE/OLB type guy with the other..Getting a rook TE would be a good move as both Thomas and Fasano are sketchy long term even though I love it that we got them both. Gray is filler although I admire his grit and thank him for his work last year.

56. naplesfan2010 says:

Jahri Evans is out there. He played for the vet minimum last year.

57. naplesfan2010 says:

I really like the safety Marcus Williams 6’1 202 Utah, but I guess we don’t need a safety now.

• naplesfan2010 says:

Former basketball player and high-jumper with the leaping ability (43 vert) and timing to win the 50-50 throws. Posted 10 interceptions against 44 targets over last two seasons. Productive tackler and careful finisher. Steps downhill against the run.

Drg will love you for the Utah player
      We could use a Safety why not

Naples

I don’t think there’s a shot we don’t draft an OL

FYI, we have 4 guys who can play center on the roster.

Ooops! Make that 5.

I’ll bet Fasano could give you some snaps lol

Yeah, but any of them play it anywhere near as good as a healthy Pouncey?

No but who are we drafting that will? People underestimate how good Pouncey is. His issue is durability as we all know. I’m not sure a rookie will be such an upgrade over other backups. I’d rather target the guard and add a lot of defense.

60. naplesfan2010 says:

How about picking up Avery Moss in the 5th out of Youngstown State? He’s very athletic.

Dolphins like Obi Meli Fonwu

I don’t disagree with you on just getting a OG that plays OG really well. Most of the guys I listed can play either OG or OT or C too, but I’d rather have a really good guard than a halfway decent guy who can play 3 or 4 spots halfway decent.

I watched Myles Garrett a while back and he didn’t seem to do much. Just watched him again, and now I get it, 95% of the plays are run to the other side, and every once in a while he makes that play that translates to the NFL and you see why he’s the #1 draft prospect.

I don’t understand why anyone would want to trade our 5ths to move up, just to move up. We did pretty good with our 4 5ths 2 years ago. Unless someone you really like drops I wouldn’t trade them.

We better not trade for Sherman. If you want to pay a guy that much money get someone in FA, but to pay top $ and give up comp. is retarded.

66. naplesfan2010 says:

I don’t want Richard Sherman. I think he is smart and talented. I just don’t want to put up with the circus he brings.

67. naplesfan2010 says:

We don’t need anymore depth. We need stars, playmakers, impact players. If that means fewer picks, I am fine with that. I’d rather us draft three players who will all start and become probowlers (by trading up) than 7-8 guys, only one of which is a future star.

That’s a double edge sword, the young guys play ST and are cheap, but I agree I’d rather draft 3 stars every year.

68. naplesfan2010 says:

Now I do think there are a bunch of good players this year in the first 4 rounds. After that it drops off more than most years, and this year’s 6th and 7th look really thin.

69. naplesfan2010 says:

Unless someone falls like Ajayi did.

70. naplesfan2010 says:

Someone like daeshon Hall or Avery Moss (red flags might be in the past) might fall to the fifth.
    Would you trade two 5ths to trade up to the 4th and get hall?

71. naplesfan2010 says:

Our only real HOLE where we have no one there is at first off the bench DT.
    With Gase calling out Phillips, maybe we go for Malik McDowell in the 1st.
    I’d hate to miss out on Reddick, but if he is gone, Malik is my next fave.

• naplesfan2010 says:

unless you have given up on Misi… which I understand, but Gase seems to have not given up on Misi.

72. naplesfan2010 says:

I also like Obi Wan, but we don’t need him as much as we do a DT or a LB.

For this year, yes, no doubt. For after this year though, I think we definitely might need a safety, unless T.J. McDonald works out, and then of course, is willing to sign here for a couple of years or more.

73. anyone been catching Ocho on Twitter posting his workouts with players? He had Lippett with him and tomorrow he’s supposed to be with Landry and Tannehill with Tannehill throwing to Landry & he’ll probably be playing db.

YOUR TEAM
    MIAMI DOLPHINS
    YOUR PICKS
    1: R1P22 EDGE DEREK BARNETT TENNESSEE
    2: R2P22 LB RAEKWON MCMILLAN OHIO STATE
    3: R3P33 C ETHAN POCIC LSU
    4: R5P22 LB ELIJAH LEE KANSAS STATE
    5: R5P34 DL DAVON GODCHAUX LSU
    6: R5P40 S TEDRIC THOMPSON COLORADO
    7: R7P5 G KYLE KALIS MICHIGAN

• naplesfan2010 says:

I’ll take that draft … good balance, although Raekwon needs to exert more and try to dominate more often.

Marcus Williams, I’m pretty sure he didn’t intercept every 4th pass thrown at him. He’s a safety, so I’d bet many of his ints were from playing center field, rather than from the guy he was covering.

76. ElephantRider says:

Nice job Mike E.

77. So, who are your top players per round? What’s your draft board look like? How can we see everyone’s A’s, B’s and C’s per round? I’d like to see how everyone on here has players rated per round and how many prospects you’ve got. I came up with not even 40 guys so far.

How many do you have? Let’s see them. C’mon, it’ll be fun and more productive than those stupid Fanspeak drafts.

Agree with your last sentence 100%, but there are only about 3 on here that actually have a draft board.

78. Let me say this because I’ve been thinking about it for some time. Let’s say we target someone like Cam Robinson towards the end of the first. He’s a blue chipper although he’s dropped some for some reason.

But, I’m not taking a guy like Robinson and forcing him inside. I’m taking someone like him and forcing James inside. Why in the world would you take a talent like Robinson to play guard? He’s head and shoulders better than James is at tackle so put him at RT and have him lock down that side and then move James to guard.

79. naplesfan2010 says:

Wow Lou, that’s too much like work, but I’ll give a quick hit list, probably leaving someone off.
    Also are we to assume that Myles Garrett is not available? What others are on the IMPOSSIBLE to drop that far list? Lattimore, Hooker, and Humphrey?
    Cause last year we got Tunsil. Anyway….from those who will likely be available:
    First round only at first. Reddick, McDowell, Charlton, Barnett, Lamp, Cunningham, Howard.
    in that order … -ish
    Then there’s the annual question of whether we are picking who WE want or just saying who we think the TEAM might pick.
    I think they are also considering Peppers, although I am not a big fan of that pick.

Not sure James can play inside, he’s been on the outside his entire career, at RT for Tennessee, and here, plus LT as well (which I thought he played pretty well). Before you draft Robinson, you have to have an idea of whether you’re keeping James for his 5th YR or not. He did have somewhat of a down year, but I think James is solid.

Cam Robinson will not fall to 22 anyway
    And Lamp is a shitty pick there, get him in the third.

Lamp may be gone before we pick at @22. You’re undervaluing him

Lamp is as close to a sure thing as you’ll see in this draft, but I don’t want him at 22, we have to fix some D first. To beat the cheats in a meaningful game you have to do it on D. The teams that have beaten tbem are Denver, jets with Sanchez and Rexie, and Ravens all D heavy teams.

The offensive teams that have struggled beating them are the Colts and Steelers and SD.

Son

For me it runs all year long until we get it right

I’m glad the ex-Bears QB we signed wasn’t Cutler but I bet this signing Fales anyway

Steve
    I’d rather take Jordan Willis in the 2nd than take Taco Charlton in the 1st. There’s always different approaches.

Agree, but Taco is a safe pick, like Lamp, but his chances to be great aren’t as good as Lamb’s. Now, if you eat a taco on the davenport next to the lamp you’ve really got something😉

Son, actually when Gase was asked about 5th year option with James they said we will see. Now i dont know if that means that they arent going to try to go 5th year option route and just get him extended, or if it means they dont think he is worth a 5th year, etc. You know how Gase is by now, he delivers his statements with the same level of deadpan and smart ass smirk/facial expressions that you arent sure exactly whats hidden behind the words, or if there is anything hidden at all. Usually pretty direct he isnt always hard to read, but when he is trying to be, he’s not easy to figure out.

naplesfan2010 says:
    April 7, 2017 at 6:16 am

———————————-
    Actually Rock, when i saw your draft this morning i was thinking the same thing, im not a fan of McMillan, so that pick isnt bad its just not my preference of people you likely could have had there, but i also think overall that draft is pretty solid and would help the team.

There’s an article in the PBP about James and the 5th YR, but I can’t see it, it’s blocked at work. 😦

Here you go Mike.

Dolphins deciding on RT Ja’Wuan James’ $8 million fifth-year option

The Dolphins seem to need right tackle Ja’Wuan James, but exercising the team option on him for 2018 would make him one of the top 10 highest-paid players on the roster as it stands now.

James, who is a 24-year-old still on his rookie contract, will play the upcoming season with a $2.7 million salary cap hit. However, Miami must decide by May 2 whether it wants to commit to paying him about $8 million in a fifth-year option. Otherwise, he would become an unrestricted free agent.

When team vice president Mike Tannenbaum was asked about that situation last week, he said the Dolphins will wait until after the draft. Miami also has the option to work out an extension with James.

Football-wise, the Dolphins have a lot to like about James. Pro Football Focus rated him the 32nd-best tackle in the league and the best run blocker on the team. After a brief benching early in the season, he rebounded and was one of the team’s most consistent linemen in a season where that group endured a lot of inconsistency.

“He hasn’t been earth-shaking, but all we want is for him to keep improving, and he has really done that,” offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen said late last season. “Being a part of the whole group that everyone’s buying in, you have a little more success—all those things are good. I think he’s part of it, a large part of it.

“I’ve said it all along: we think he can be a top right tackle in this league. That’s what we believe he can be. Maybe he’s buying into that, too.”

After unloading left tackle Branden Albert to the Jaguars this offseason, the only lineman scheduled to make more than $8 million 2018 is center Mike Pouncey at $9 million.

Thanks Tim! I’d do the 5th YR, but I think they should just lock him up with new contract for 5 years or so. Stability!

I have always believed James can be a top flight RT. I hope they keep him. I think he’s already a solid contributor and could get even better.

I did too, piggy. I think they used benching or reduced snaps to light fires under some guys who they feel should and could up their games. I think it worked with both James and Ajayi.

I’m not so sure on Ajayi. I think Foster learned him, just like he did with Damian, both those guys sucked running the ball inside the tackles, then all of a sudden they’re both beasts. That didn’t happen, because of a timeout.

I think Gase learned Ajayi. He got all “what about me?” when Foster was given the starting nod, and Gase said fine, throw a tantrum, you can throw all the tantrums you want this week, you’re not making the trip. That was that!

But that doesn’t explain the change in his running style, nor in Damiens. They didnt just mature him.

I don’t know Steve, Ajayi ran pretty damn hard at Boise St., I don’t think a couple of weeks with Foster changed his running style. I think that’s a big stretch.

Not like he is now, and what about Damien? To think Gase can just get mad at him and he responds like he did is too hard to believe.

Lou, do you include players you feel you have 0 shot at getting on your board? I believe you have to just because you cannot know if a player is going to fall or not.

Man some of these mock sites, you just lose any credibility for them when they cant even research how to spell the friggin players name correctly. We butcher the shit out of some of them on here but if your publishing something as a resource, a little more attention to detail. I also hate finding the sites that have OBVIOUS bias, like you see 8 OSU guys drafted in the first round, including having us select Elfien at 22, over all kinda other guys like Reddick, Lamp, etc.

One guy has us taking Tyus Bowser at 22. I mean i think the guy is a really good prospect, and i think he will rise a lot further than some have him (there are some with 4-5th round grades on him, but 1st round, 22 with Charlton, Peppers, Davis, Cunningham, and every OL guy aside from Ram-wxyandz. Come on.

I was reading an article by PFF, otherwise known as Pfffffft, and the early targets they had for us other than Evan Engram were real reaches. I assume by early they mean 1st or 2nd RD

Lol, there’s trucking company called PST, that they say a similar thing about. Hey man is that psssst truck over there yours.

Rotoworld has us taking Taylor Moton with pick 22.

D,
    Dammit! Tyus Bowser has been a sleeper pick for me. Now you just screwed it all up by mentioning his name. Lol

steve
    It’s not just the benching. It’s the conversations the coaches have with the player about why they are being benched and what they have to do to get back on the field. I assume Gase said: “We need you to do _____ if you want to get on the field. If we don’t start seeing you do it in practice, you won’t be playing.” Maybe Foster made an impact, but Foster isn’t the one who got to decide how Ajayi needed to play or when he could get back on the field. Getting benched works…especially if you feel you deserve to be playing. It’s a big slap in the face.

So why didn’t Ajayi do it in preseason, especially game 4 with the starting job on the line he laid an egg? It also doesn’t explain why he ran just like Foster used to, and the way Foster left, it was like ok, my work is done here carry on, like he passed the torch.

I remember back in the day mock drafts had us taking Terry Kirby in the 1st we got him in the 3rd and the same with JT. It might be known we’re interested in a prospect but that does not mean push them up into the 1st rd.

You can have correct Intel on all the teams, and still not get it right, there’s too many variables.

steve,
    Maybe he was a little full of himself and felt he had the starting job wrapped up. Maybe part of benching him was giving him a little perspective about things not just being handed to him and having to keep pushing and earning it. I have no idea. Obviously, Gase felt it was necessary for some reason.

steveccnv says:
    April 7, 2017 at 9:40 am
    Mike, can we call you Mije? Are you short😆

Steve, is that anything like Minje? As in the Ginger Minge from Game of Thrones?

Yeah, like Steve said, that sound too much like work to be “fun” and I don’t see how it is any more productive. None of our time on this board is productive….

Steve

I’m not tall, think Danny Woodhead minus about 30 or so pounds

Did you just refer to a Terry Kirby mock draft?

That is crazy that you remember that!

Ok, so it fits Mike is now Mije😉

April 7, 2017 at 2:51 pm
    _______________________________________
    Just like it doesn’t necessarily mean we’re going to draft a prospect just because we had them work out after their pro day or we invited them to our facility for a visit. Just trying to make sure we really want someone on our board, don’t want someone on our board or make sure where we are going to have them on our board.

We can have a completely different view of where we see that prospect in the draft or if we even want the prospect on our board.

Not really jumping in on this argument, but i will say if you look back at the guys we have had in for visits in the past, we have drafted a good number of them.

April 7, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Just curious, was Lamp gone already?
    ——————————–
    Lamp was gone, but only he and Bolles was gone, he has Moton i guess as the 3 best OL in the draft. Cam Robinson , and Ryan Ramczyk were both there.

MY-Gee sounds exotic to me
    we could use some foreign influence here…

Randy says:
    April 7, 2017 at 2:26 pm

D,
    —————————————–
    You and me both. I couldnt believe how under the radar he was going even after a pretty good Senior Bowl. Combine woke some people up to him but really he hasn’t been climbing until very recently. I think he needs to put on some muscle mass to be a good DE prospect, and probably only adequate in coverage as an OLB in a 4-3, but as a rush LB, and in run support, he is going to be pretty good.

So minus 30 and picture Danny woodhead….did you als forget the +50 years?

I can’t remember a recent prospect we drafted high that we never met with and he said he had no idea we had any interest in him.

I hope we had Lawson in since we’re drafting him

I put a picture of Danny Woodhead through a aging software and a weight gaining software and you kinda look like a chunky elderly meth addict. You do know that stuff is going to significantly shorten the 3 or 4 years ya got left right?

I know we had Doughty, Drake, Caroo, and Howard in last year. Tunsil probably was not someone they thought they had a chance for, but if they had brought him in thats rounds 1-4 from visits.

The year before we had Parker, and Phillips.

The year before that James, Landry, Turner Aikens and Fede, as well as Seamster and Robert Herron we got as UDFA’s.

I think that patter says we probably should look to our visit tracker for ideas on who we might take, not that we will take them but it looks like the first few rounds generally come from that set of people.

Right now these are the 1st – 4th round prospects that have visited.
    Taco Charlton (1)
    Justin Evans (2-3)
    Josh Jones (2-3)
    Raekwon McMillan (2-3)
    Isaac Asiata (2-3)
    Dan Feeney (2)
    Malik McDowell (1-2)

We also have a solid group of 5ths we have brought in too like:
    Shaquill Griffin
    Corn Elder (on a local visit, doesnt count against the 30)
    Deatrich Wise Jr
    Dylan Cole

All that does is solidify the fact we are drafting Lawson followed by Davis

Seriously though Shaquille is a very likely candidate. I’d know the pride Herd feels for her lone Marshall guy in Hewitt.

I think its highly possible that if we hadnt taken Parker, Perriman might have been a guy we selected, and you woulda had your guy then. He hasnt turned out too well though, had to redshirt due to injury his first year didnt he?

He did redshirt but remember he burned US for biggest scoring play so far

Wow Sergio leads another major on Friday… Seen this one a million times

Are we going to do our picks like we do every year?
    It’s getting down to it, 3 weeks from tonight are rounds 2 and 3

Calling Boulder
    We need a sheet sir if you can

123. D,
    I understand what you’re saying that we drafted some of the players we met with but there’s a lot more we met with that we didn’t draft so, like I said, meeting with a player either after a pro day, flying out to the college to see the player or having them in for a visit doesn’t put anything in stone.

That’s all I’m saying. People tend to read too much into these visits and workouts. Are they interested in seeing more of what the player brings to the table? Yes. Doesn’t mean they’re going to be impressed with what they see enough to have that player high on their board.

Just doing their due diligence to make sure the player is either someone they want or someone they don’t want, or maybe someone they want later or earlier than they previously thought.

Cam Robinson is a perfect example. Haven’t met with him yet but he’s fallen out of the first rd due to off field issues; a 2016 arrest where weapons were confiscated. They may want to meet with him to clear things up & see what actually happened and get a better idea of the type of person he is. I’m just giving him as an example. Just like the situation with Tunsil last year.

So, the visits gives us somewhat of a better idea but it still doesn’t necessarily mean they are players they are going to take.

I didn’t know that about Cam.
      Sometimes they might meet guys to throw others off the scent of who they really want. Lawson for example.

124. Of the 62 players MIA met with last yr pre-draft they picked 4: Doughty, Drake, Carroo, Howard & signed 1 udfa: Scott.

They said we want to get bigger and faster on the line, that’s Lawson

I miss Orob giving me shit about a DE I like

This is a funny convo. You guys are funny.

Damn, 7-1.

Ironic funny

Your posts will go through now elephant rider, welcome

Do people think we have a legitimate shot at Derek Barnett? That dude intrigues me, but is he really gonna be there at #22?

Maybe
      When I do a simulator he often falls
      and I take him
      But he should be a top 15 pick

• Brian in NY says:

There are always guys who get drafted higher than everyone thinks, so some of those other guys get pushed down. He may be one.

In an interview with Taco Charlton last night on NFL radio, he said a few teams are thinking of playing him at LB, since he ran 4.7 at his pro day

Completely nonfootball related but I hate clients who set proposal due dates for Monday’s.

The fuckers have to know that they’re making you work over the weekend!

I have a bid due Monday and it is not finished so I have to come in this weekend to finish it. So my boss texted me this morning earlier then he should to find out what time I was going to be in to start working on it That was enough I’m not going in today now. I’ll get it done tomorrow 😠

Did anyone see ( rhetorical question ) The final score of the Marlins / Muts game last night?

Just for the record I hate baseball but I love giving my friends the zinger

Rock

Tell him no bids Monday, I’ll have it done for you on Tuesday

Big Money!

Adam Schefter‏Verified account
    @AdamSchefter

On Atlanta’s five-year extension with CB Desmond Trufant, the deal is worth almost $69M, including $42M gtd, as @Schultz_Report reported.

I like Des, he’s the guy I wanted us to draft instead of Dion FF

And Walker, in his column about the last 10 guys selected at 22 mentions him as an after thought, and not a big hit. I guess it didn’t fit the agenda of the story. He sure mention Cleveland’s 3 misses.

ROCKPHIN; Counting my military and civilian jobs, I’d have to say I’ve worked about 50% of my Saturdays over the last 50+ years. At first, I was mildly put out. But I soon realized there’s great satisfaction when you complete a job/task/assignment, no matter WHAT day it is. The key, of course, is to find a job THAT YOU ACTUALLY WANT TO PERFORM, and it will seem like more fun/less work.
    ———————-
    Tampa Bay Bucs flying in notorious running back from Oklahoma, Mixon, for a try out and interview. Local scribes don’t like it. This is the SAME Bucs team that got rid of TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins who continues to fight alcoholism as a member of another NFL franchise. And, of course, this is the same Bucs franchise that hired a certain DB from the Dolphins who is stuck with a wife suffering from who knows what???
    ——————–
    DOWN 9-0 in the 7th inning, FAU’s baseball team fought back with a 2-out rally in the 9th to send their game against UNC-Charlotte into extra innings, where they eventually won 13-10. It’s the greatest comeback in the history of Owls’ baseball. FAU is 20-8-1 this year and NOT in the Top 25 (unlike the last several seasons). But they’re still favored to win Conference USA’s regular season title. I DON’T see them having much post season success because of a mediocre pitching staff. But, man, they can sure hit that baseball!!!
    ——————-
    Bright and sunny today in Tampa Bay with highs in the low 70’s and lows in the 50’s. Think I’ll take Mrs. OD out for a meal of ultra-fresh grouper later today!

I’ve been watching some of the Path to the Draft stuff recently. A good defender should be there for us because there are a bunch of offensive guys who are going to go to as well.

The draft is always exciting for me, until we pick, and piss me off. lol

LOL

I actually enjoy the post draft even more when I can really look into the prospects we drafted.

Me too, it gets me pumped up for our season, and I start to dream of grander things. Especially now that we have a proper HC. Just get him the tools to work with, and he will make it happen

The problem is the filler talk between picks is only 3 seconds of positive talk per hour about our team.

Steve

The actual draft takes 4ever. I hate that. Ti is talking once the draft is over, and you have all your picks and have picked up undrafted FA’s, that’s when it’s fun. The draft itself is agonizingly slow

22: R1P22 LB ZACH CUNNINGHAM, VANDERBILT
    54: R2P22 G DAN FEENEY, INDIANA
    97: R3P33 S EDDIE JACKSONALABAMA
    166: R5P22 EDGE DEATRICH WISE JR., ARKANSAS
    178: R5P34 LB BEN GEDEON, MICHIGAN
    184: R5P40 C JON TOTH, KENTUCKY
    223: R7P5 CB BRENDAN LANGLEY, LAMAR (TX)

They always go to commercial right before we pick so no lead up talk then don’t talk about our pick until later on and usually cut it short. Bastards!

I always enjoy the draft itself. It’s an excuse to get together with my friends, cook a bunch of food, and talk football in between actual draft picks. We don’t care what the talking heads are saying. We tune in for a moment when they bring up our respective teams, then tune back out when the BS starts.

What does anyone think of Deon Lacey, the LB we signed from the CFL?

The draft is Christmas and researching the picks if you don’t know them is opening up your presents. It’s all fun.
    ***
    And I think there will definitely be a good defensive player there for us too, if that’s the way we wanna go. There’s good defensive depth into the third round this year, I think.

steve
    I went and watched some video on Lacey and checked him out after we signed him. He has some promise. He looks like he could be a really good ST player if nothing else. But, he is a nice player. Sure tackler. Reads plays well. Sheds or avoids blocks pretty well. Has a little nasty in him. He’ll need to refine some stuff, but he is a hard nosed guy who plays with decent speed. Hopefully he has the right attitude, but I have no idea. People who know him say he is smart and prepared. He’s got the athleticism. Not super athlete or anything but plenty good enough. What’d you think?

I only found highlights, so i didnt get to see the bad plays, but he looks like the new wave of Lbs, a little smaller with more speed. Hes a guy that can cover, and stop a play in a flash, so he should be a good nickel LB. I still see Misi playing on first down, unless maybe you pair him Hayes.

There’s been some pretty bad Christmases over the years.

This is a test of the Game Day Bitches alarm – this is only a test

Game Day Bitches!

Jeff Ireland prepares for the 2013 draft

Deon Lacey definitely looks like he’s very active. He looks fast, athletic and has really good closing speed. Plays physical too. Could be a sleeper. We’ll see how he holds up in the NFL.

152. 3 players I really like for us: OT/G Adam Pankey, DT Jarron Jones, RB Dare Ogunbowale.

So this is who we have on the roster at LB at the moment. Sizes and age via the official site.
    Kiko Alonso 6-3 239, 26
    Lawrence Timmons 6-1 234, 30
    Koa Misi 6-3 256, 30
    Neville Hewitt 6-2 232, 24
    Mike Hull 6-0 233, 25
    Lamin Barrow 6-1 237, 26
    Trevor Reilly 6-5 245, 29
    Deon Lacey 6-1 225, 26
    Brandon Watts 6-2 231, 26

We can probably get away with adding one solid LB prospect via the draft and maybe a couple of UDFAs, then let the competition begin behind Alonso and Timmons. If healthy Misi will likely make the team as well.

With the way contracts are these days I see us just getting the best we can at whatever position and filling in guys around them. You still need LT, CB, DE of quality though.

I see the depth we have currently at LB enough to get through the season, but if Timmons or Alonso go down we’re screwed. Between Misi, Lacey, and Hewitt I think we’re not bad.

That’s why I think we need to add at least one good LB prospect via the draft. We need to add some more upside. A lot of competition is a good thing.

I’d say Hewitt too but I put him in the competition pool due to status. Only Alonso and Timmons are locks at this point IMO.

Beat writer word is the team wanted to draft 2 LBs, with STs in mind too.

I’d be okay with one who is a legit candidate to play significant snaps. I think we have enough STs LBs already. Hewitt and Hull are very good and Lacey could be another. We’ll see how it all shakes out.

We’ve been quick to say the rushing D is on the LBs, but our D-Line not named Suh is to blame as well, and without Jones for 10 the safeties didn’t provide enough run support either.

Agreed. Phillips needs to take it to another level and Hayes should help. This one flies under the radar but a healthy Howard at CB will help in run support as well. He’s a good tackler and can be violent when hitting.

Yes on Howard, and I think it can be almost as important as Jones. We haven’t had a tackler at CB since Vontae left. I remember watching a prime time game against Buffalo a few years back, when they had CJ Spiller, if Jones didn’t tackle him he was roaming free in our secondary. The most pathetic I’ve felt about our run D since Thurman Thomased us in that playoff game in ’95.

This could be a large portion of our base starting defense. We all know we’ll rotate guys on the DL and use some bigger DEs in certain situations. But here’s a glimpse of what it could look like with some questions prior to the draft.

LDE Wake
    LDT Suh
    RDT Phillips
    RDE Branch
    OLB Rookie? (high draft pick)
    ILB Alonso

LB Hewitt
    LB Misi
    CB Lippett
    CB McCain
    DB Thomas
    DB ?
    *S McDonald (after 8 game suspension)

I see a straight BPA the first 3 rounds, so the biggest need won’t have an effect. It was setup that way last year with the exception of CB.

And Taanenbaum won’t be able to keep his hands out of his pockets, so expect some maneuvering. I hate it when it happens, but the reality is it’s better to trade up, when you see someone you really like, instead of taking a guy that’s just there when you pick.

Don’t disagree. My thinking is in the wide 9 we like to play 5-2 with an OLB on the LOS. So that could be the target. I really like Reddick in that role. But I really have no idea how say 11-21 will go. I see a pretty clear top 10 with the exception of a few, but after that I think teams with different preferences will change the landscape and it will be unpredictable. If Reddick is there he’s my favorite prospect for us. We get an athletic LB with pass rush skills.

What did Gase mean when he said they spent a lot of time last year on sub packages for Misi, that were only for him? Which ones? What does he have in store for him?

Steve, I agree with your 2:44 post. That’s how I feel. It’s like picking produce, you take what’s the best available at the time. Would you rather buy really good strawberries even if a bit pricey, or the shitty looking raspberries that you won’t eat? LOL

We bought our son a suit yesterday at the Mens Warehouse, tailored, and shirts and shoes. It was the same logic, spend a little more and have them last, or just throw the shit away in a year.

Steve, that OLB role I’m talking about is what Gase was talking about with Misi. He jammed TEs at the LOS, rushed from the edge and was a LOS presence. Didn’t last long. We then used, Jenkins, Hewitt and others at times blitzing the backfield off the weak side. We didn’t have the right personnel to really get it going and injuries killed the entire plan.

In this schematic this is what I see left to right. It forces max protect.
    DL Wake, Suh, Phillips, Branch
    LB Misi, Timmons, Alonso
    S 27 is Allen and 42 is Jones

Forgot this.

My guess is the CB on Jones’ side will play off man and the CB on Allen’s side plays press because he has some deep coverage over the top. So in this scheme you have 8 in the box but really have 9 guys close to the LOS. The DL and maybe a blitzing LB better get there. But that’s the idea.

Unless Alonso plays a little different on the outside, we really need an LB that can make plays in the backfield, so I can see the Reddick pick.

Yep, Reddick is an explosive player with experience attacking the backfield. It’s really hard to block 5 talented players attacking the backfield. Look at it like a 5-6 defense – 5 attack and 6 clean up and cover. The key is the 5 have to disrupt the backfield. If that doesn’t happen you get shredded.

We should have more talent and be better prepared to play that way in 2017. I hope. 🙂

A couple of hours ago the little kid from next door rings our doorbell she wants to know if we can play the uno game.
    I said to her, ” do me a favor and go ask your Dad if you should be ringing Mr Johns doorbell on Masters Sunday”.
    She said ok.

Haven’t seen her since.

I fully expected Sergio to shoot 75 yesterday but the one time I call him out he shoves it in my face.

He still has to play the back nine…

Sunday meat and potatoes with Tim and Steve

Good stuff guys

Misi to me should not be in any plans that don’t include him as a rotational​ player, and probably more specifically a role rotational player. Bringing him up on the line as a pass or rush based blitzing OLB would be ok, but imo he is here to mentor and assist in a transition. If he starts I think it will be just long enough for the draft pick to settle in. If we have to rely on him heavily for the entire season we didn’t get something right in this draft.

There are a bunch of guys this year that could be capable of starting by middle of the year, but I think we are more likely to draft someone capable of being in there in first couple of weeks.

Kuchar just aced 16 and like Cam gave the ball to a kid

Sergio is to golf as Mike “the human rain delay”Hargrove is to baseball

I’m rooting for Sergio Valenti. He made a real nice shot to make par. Only reason I’m watching golf is because it’s absolutely stunning in 4K. Why the hell isn’t the NFL in 4k? C’mon!

Not Optometrist, Optician. Know your “O”s. lol

You should treat Misi like a tire with a nail stuck in it. It can work for a while, but one bad bump, and that tire is toast

Well, that’s what his contract says he is. He can provide some value, if brought in to play sub packages at about 20-30 plays a game, which is about all a third LB plays (40% of 60-70 plays).

I also wondered what sub packages they had for Misi other than just using him as an extra rusher. I mean…what has he ever done that well that you would wanna make it a focus of your defense? Bring him off the edge or in the 3 hole to draw blockers from Suh and Wake but otherwise….what?
    ****
    I don’t see any way we don’t still draft a couple DE/LBers in this draft. Timmons is an older guy. He’s not the future. Kiko is still a player who’s had injury issues. Hopefully it’s behind him, but you never know. Misi is an ok pro who can do a little of everything ok. Hewitt? He is what he is at this point…a backup/ST player. We need edge players too. Wake is aging. After him, is there really anybody that isn’t replaceable? Ok players but nothing special. There are a handful of edge guys in this draft who could be pretty good.

Hewitt just turned 24 years old a few days ago. Yes he is what he is, he could never get better. He only won a job as a rookie UDFA and has continued to develop over the last two years. Wow, we don’t appreciate anything anymore.

I’m changing my stance, Hewitt will be one of our 5 game day LBs.

Already better than last year, not that that’s saying much though, but we have a chance to have a good LB corps.

I like it!