The Wedge Scouting Report: Derek Barnett, Edge

Hey kid…

come here…

Come over here

ShadyWedge

I got some good stuff or you…

Stuff you’re not going to be able to get enough of

sacks

courtesy of Derek Barnett

Derek Barnett, Derek Lee

Barnett is one of the premier pass rushers available in a draft full of pass rushers.

Not hooked yet?

Derek Barnett broke Reggie White’s sack record at Tennessee

Yeah that’t right

Hall of Famer, All Universe Reggie White, one of the greatest to ever play in the NFL

DBarnett6

How many sacks does it take to break a legends record?

32 sacks!

9 in his freshman year, 10 as a sophomore, and 13 in 2016 as a junior

Barnett has the look of a perennial double digit sack artist int he NFL.

A guy that gives tackles nightmares

and a guy that makes QB’s lose sleep…until he knocks them out that is…

DBarennt8

Sure…he’s good against the run too.

He recorded 131 tackles in 3 years with the Volunteers.  More impressive were his 52 tackles for a loss.

He also managed to force 3 fumbles and even had one interception…

DBarennt4

But it’s the sacks man…

The sacks you can;t get enough of…

Imagine the 6’3, 260 pound defensive end, chucking the Patriots offense line aside with his excellent hand fighting at the line of scrimmage

and running down hill to lay Tom Brady on his back

Alabama vs Tennessee

Yeah…You are like me…

You can’t get enough of this stuff either.

Don’t worry Wedge is here for you and so is the 2017 NFL draft…

Maybe you will score big time and draft Barnett at 22

And then you’ll be addicted!

If I was going to compare Derek Barnett to an Alien Weapon of Destruction

it would be this Asteroid Rock Pipe

You just can’t get enough….

BarnettPipe

Get high on his highlights here! (but tun the volume down on the clip)

333 Responses to The Wedge Scouting Report: Derek Barnett, Edge

Nice job Piggles! No doubt Barnett would have to be considered if he were available at #22. He’s One of those players that just gets it done, but he’s not especially fast or strong, or quick, but he uses his hands very well to get off blocks.

Oh, FIRST!!!

nice job piggy. I would be fine with barnett at 22 if he’s still there on the board.

Mccoy and Alonzo are having a twitter war. It should be fun when we meet the bills this year. Nice grammar shady.
    “boy ya dad wish u was as good as me… n ya new contract garbage lol my 2011 money …”

Barnett is a very productive player. Not sure he even makes it to #22 though.

Barnett is my favorite DE in this draft and thats including Myles Garrett. I think overall when you include his overall skill set, his multiple weapons as far as the pass rush moves he has, etc.and a just relentless motor, he is my favorite. I truly hate saying that because i hated him when he was at UTenn, them being a UF rival and all. He’s a terror though, its kinda how i have heard some people refer to Wake, there is nothing a OT is going to be able to do to catch a breath with him, because play after play same just balls out coming for the QB rushing. Eventually those guys start to win those battles because it take a helluva man to counter that much motor.

One thing i like about Myles Garrett is that he says the one guy he wants to sack the most in the NFL is Brady. Its tempting to sell the farm to get that pick just so he gets to do it twice a year for at least 5 years.

McCoy can back up his shit but its low attacking someone about their contract, RB’s have generally gotten big money, especially in his era as a back and Alonso might also just not be a money grubbing shit stain like McCoy. He should just say, but what are you paid now grandpa, and where do you live and play… Gotta love those beaches in Buffalo right?

I see a few mock drafts having us trading back. I think no 22 pick is one of the most traded spots in the 1st round the last decade. The chances of us trading back are real, especially if the players we really like are gone.

Dont think its likely, there are too many players worth the 22 pick for all of them not to be there and the value in trading back just isnt there. Like i said before, we could, but its because we found trade partner that was willing to give up really good value. It just isn’t worth it otherwise.

D, I agree if we’re honing in on a front 7 defender or even a DB there should be a few there for us at #22.

Boulder, if like you said the prospects we liked are not there trading down is always a possibility. But like D said, you need a partner really high on a prospect to offer enough to make it worthy and how far down are we going? If we were to trade out of the 1st we better get a lot of value. If we did that the best case scenario is a team drafting high who wants to trade back into the 1st. That’s the best value where you can get a high 2nd and 3rd and maybe more.

I love when young folks who know everything blame the blog for putting a post wherever it wants to. Cracks me up!

22 = 37 + 69 from the Rams. I’d be in, or even the LAC (Clippers😉) 38 and 72.

So to make a trade, you need a trade partner now? Is this a new rule from the current tyrant? #FIREGOODELL

for some reason I’m getting less excited about taking Lamp @22. I’m sure he would help our team, but I think we need an impact player on defense, either a DE or LB.

If for some reason either O.J. Howard was there, it would hard to pass him up. I don’t think we’ll have to worry about that

Yeah that’s what I keep coming back too. That’s why I like Reddick so much, he gives you pass rush ability too.

I think the 2nd rd might be a good spot for a guard after landing a front 7 defender. There are some good guards in the 2nd round. Will they fall to us or do we have to pick a spot and trade up at some point for one?

But landing those two positions with our first two picks would be a good deal. 🙂

The problem with Reddick falling to us is 3-4 teams ahead of us. He could be a good WOLB for them.

Yeah, OJ should be long gone, and Reddick may also be. If I knew we could get Jordan Willis in the 2nd, I wouldn’t feel bad about Lamp in RD 1, but I think we need that front 7 impact player more.

Defense
    (Piggy stomps trotters on the ground)
    Defense
    (Piggy stomps trotters on the ground)
    Defense
    (Piggy stomps trotters on the ground)

Lou

A LB would start this year, but a DE would most like play in a rotation, and come in on passing downs. Most likely, A DE would get enough snaps to make an impact.

Would not be surprised if we target the bigger DE like Taco who can maybe develop into a 6-8 sack guy and also play the run.

Still draft rumors about us possibly taking a QB, and possibly early. Kayaa apparently had a long one on one meeting with Gase recently, the rumor coming from a couple of days ago. Personally i dont see it, Gase has been talking up Tanny too much and he is too honest with how he feels for it to be smokescreen.

Man he’s Lawson

Every time I think of Lawson I think of M13 calling Manny Lawson , Man he’s awesome lol

Lawson and Davis guaranteed to bite as pups

24. It’s hard to say if there’s really going to be an impact guy on the defensive side of the ball for us at #22.

But Lamp, for sure is going to be an impact player, so let’s take him😉

• He could be the difference between our team getting 125 yds/gam or having those long stretches where we get 60 or 70 yds/gm with some really good ones thrown in there. I’d rather have consistency in the run game and be able to run it any time we want to. Like late in the game when we need to run the clock out. Would be nice to just be able to keep pounding the defense with our run game and put the game away.

And just the same one of the front 7 guys could be the difference in us giving up 140 yards a game again on the ground vs 110.

Barnett & Garrett LONG GONE by #22. Nice article BUT I’d like to see more focus on players who WILL STILL BE AVAILABLE AT 22!!
    ————————–
    STILL think WE HAVE TO GET A STARTING O-LINEMAN IN EITHER ROUND 1 OR 2!

26. Since ’08 only 2 qb’s attempting less than 30 passes per gm have thrown more than 30td’s. Rivers ’08 (34), Romo ’14 (34).

PROF LOU; TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU that Lamp could be the difference between averaging well over 100 yards per game on the ground OR averaging 60-70 yards per game rushing for most of our games. A CASE can be made that drafting Lamp would help our DEFENSE MORE than drafting some of the defenders bandied about on the various mock drafts. The better Lamp plays, the LONGER our DEFENSE gets to relax on our bench and watch another time-consuming drive that produces POINTS.

• definite case can be made. I know our D had some problems trying to get off the field last season and ppl are quick to point out our o-line was missing pieces but what about our D? Missing LB’s, safeties, cornerbacks.

Like I keep saying, we were worst in the league in 3 and out’s on offense, worst at time of possession per offensive possession and worst at # of plays per offensive possession. I believe in the saying “the best defense is a good offense”.

I love smash mouth football with some passing mixed in there. We don’t have a Peyton Manning at qb who’s going to throw 48 td’s in a season or even 38 td’s in a season. We NEED a strong running game or we are going to have a tough time winning games.

Do people actually think Ajayi is going to rip off more 250 yd games this season? That kind of stuff just doesn’t happen consistently. What happens consistently when you have a good run blocking offensive line is the 100+ yd games.

Barnett has a great bend to him ala Cam Wake. I can’t see him lasting to 22 with the premium placed on pass rushers in the league.

28. love watching this kid run the ball:

he’s my priority udfa at rb

29. If anything, James needs to cut the shit and start playing like a 1st rd RT.

30. Keep moving more of those qb’s up into the 1st rd. Fine by me.

Lou,
    I know you like Lamp, but you’re talking some significant impact on our running game if he’s drafted. He would need to come in and play at an all-pro level to have that sort of impact…and I’m not sure even then he could. Going from 70 to 125 yards…even in one game…would be a miraculous impact for one guy playing guard. I do though…hope we focus on increasing our reliance on the running game. We need guards…we should be able to get one in this draft to come in and compete. I will be watching Lamp develop no matter where he goes.
    ****
    And are you sure you’re not from Iowa? First the Beathard love and now Daniels? Lol

• It’s not just about Lamp but when you add someone of his caliber to that left side with Tunsil and then if Pouncey stays healthy. We may be able to run it to the left all game and nobody could stop us.

In any case, whether it be Lamp or someone else that can have a similar impact that’s what I would hope for. You get tired of the team being behind schedule on 2nd and 3rd down and not being able to pick up a first by running it on 3rd and short.

And, like I said, when we’re in the lead later in the game I’d like to see us be able to pound the rock to put the game away.

__________________________
      Daniels is a pretty darn good running back to be projected to go undrafted. He’s solid, has great vision and balance and uses his blockers well. Would be a very nice pickup for us if he goes undrafted. Catches the ball well out of the backfield.

• Of all the qb’s coming out this year, Beathard probably has the highest football IQ, by far. He’s mobile, accurate and he’s got the leadership ability and intangibles. I would love to see him land on a team that doesn’t need a qb right now like AZ or some team that has a great qb coach who can develop him.

Given the chance, he could be one of the best qb’s to come out of this draft.

32. Why do people choose to point out how many td catches Julius Thomas had while playing for the Broncos; with Peyton Manning throwing him the ball? What’s the point? Do they really think stating those numbers is in any way relevant to him being on our team right now?

33. naplesfan2010 says:

OK Prof Lou challenged us to put up our Big Board and I whined that it was too much work. But I bit the bullet and here is my FIRST ROUND Board. In order of value, not need or availability.

My Top 10 goes through Tak and omits QB, WR, and RB as positions we simply do not need.

I would take these and only these players in the first round, and really, with the last four, I would be tempted to trade down instead for a 2nd and 3rd if all of the first 10 are gone.

34. naplesfan2010 says:

Zach Cunningham OLB Vanderbilt 6-3 234
    Takkarist McKinley OLB UCLA 6-2 250
    **Garett Bolles OT Utah 6-5 297
    **Obi Melifonwu SS Connecticut 6-4 224
    **Evan Engram TE Ole Miss 6-3 234
    **Kevin King CB Washington 6-3 200

We have a much different preseason schedule this year

Home – Atlanta
    Home – Baltimore
    Away- Philadelphia
    Away – Minnesota

Randy even though it’s the fourth game I hope you go

Isn’t the regular season schedule due out soon?

They said a couple of weeks. Would be nice to have something to bitch about😉 My prediction, we’ll get another road Thursday game for 4th out of 5 years, to go along with home London, while the cheats get another home one for 5 out of last 6.

Just like the preseason, we should have a home opener, opener.

We’re really going to find out what Tannehill is made of this year, with an actual TE. Even Brady has struggled a lot without Gronk.

What an idiot Stills, for his involvement in the arm wrestling event, and his agent…

wyoming85 says:
    April 10, 2017 at 12:13 pm
    I like it!
    If you don’t take me #1 I will punish your team for the next 10-12 years.

Take @MylesLGarrett with the first overall pick.

Or else.
    ————————————————————-
    Try again Myles, and come up with your own material. Peyton said this before his draft.

41. Steve,
    I think it had more to do with the fact that Gase had Manning to work with than Gase himself. yeah, Manning gives him high praise but expecting Thomas to have the same impact in our O without Manning is kind of unrealistic.

42. Bleacher Report‏
    Verified account
     @BleacherReport 12h
    12 hours ago

Is Jabrill Peppers the most overrated prospect in the draft?

The film doesn’t lie…

I agree some of his tape doesn’t jump out at you, but you have to know what to look for. I thought the same thing the first time I saw Myles Garrett, then when I went back I saw why he didn’t jump out at me.

43. This still amazes me. NFL scouts have said that if TJ Watt’s last name was Watson people wouldn’t be talking about him as much as they are. What they meant, and they clarified it, is he’s not the talent a lot of people think he is but it’s the name a lot of people are stuck on.

They don’t see him as being any kind of great impact player at the next level and think he’s got a chance to make a roster and be a starter down the road but he shouldn’t be drafted high.

People think pedigree = potential, that’s what they are drafting. For the Pouncey’s it worked for Seth Curry, not so much.

Phelon – Consistent?

Turkey bacon is NOT bacon, the only similarity to bacon is that it says bacon on the package. It’s turkey hotdogs shaped like bacon and it’s pretty gross. Well, the dog likes it.

What do you guys think of Zach Cunni gham?

He seems to be a guy with upside but may not be the impact player right away that some expect. But opinions vary on that. He’s a bit lean and may have to get bigger and stronger. However he did make a lot of plays in college.

I don’t love him at 22, but trade back in the first or early 2nd and he’s the guy I want, unless Peppers falls, but I believe someone is smoke screening Peppers, saying he’s the most overrated player in the draft.

Just watched Jarrad Davis, he makes more explosive plays than Cunningham, but isn’t as good in coverage, and doesn’t have his range, and is injury prone. Cunningham🖒

Yeah Davis is more violent and considered more of an ILB where Cunningham is more of an OLB. Both could turn out to be very good pros.

Just wanted to share that David who runs the other blog, his Dad passed away. He posted a tribute to his father.

I think Davis is more of a thumper, Cunningham a little softer but better coverage backer.

Cunningham misses a lot of tackles, that scares me. You’d think we’d look the other way, considering what’s been going on here.

Why do you say he misses a lot of tackles? I’ve watched his game tape and he seems to be pretty rangy.

That is one of his cons. As many plays as he makes, he misses too many tackles for some scouts.

It’s all over his scouting report. He tackles high, and loses tackles that way. Maybe he can be corrected, maybe not. Not sure if that’s something I’d take a chance on.

These guys say all kinds of horse shit, some is smoke screens, some not. I like his instincts and ability to get back in the play after missing or getting picked off.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago
    Miami’s former third-overall pick, Dion Jordan, reached agreement with Seahawks, as @tompelissero reported.

Should we exercise the 5th year option on James? They seem to like to wait, then pay more later. Just sign him to a $30M extension and be done with it.

Steve

Why would scouts at NFL.com make a smoke screen? Teams watch film, they know, so who are they fooling, us?

Davis ran a 4.56 at his pro day, and an impressive 38.5″ vertical

Cunningham to me seems to get penalized by scouts for his range. Take HOFer Ozzie Smith, he kicked some balls, but his range was so large, he was getting to balls others only dreamed about. Cunningham’s range doesn’t compare, but it’s pretty good. Peppers has the Ozzie range.

Both Cunningham and Peppers are victims of their own success/talent

Peppers not making the interceptions you want from a DB, basically bc he was talented enough to play LB on a Michigan team than was thin at LB

and Cunningham bc his tackling was not up to snuff when he consistently was in the right spot to make the tackle

Honestly I think the things that both players do well were sorely lacking on our D from our back 7 last season. What killed our D more often than not was guys who just weren’t in the right spots

Mike E
    I don’t think Cunnigham misses a lot of tackles
    I think his technique is questionable
    he doesn’t always go through the ball carrier
    but he makes a ton of tackles even with that questionable technique
    it might catch up to him in the NFL, but personally I think it won’t be a huge factor

That’s just might take

but more importantly what Cunningham does it get to the ball
    I think Steve is on the oinks with the “rangy” comment

he covers a lot of ground very quickly

Nobody questions his range, that is his game. But “he doesn’t always go through the ball carrier” is the con scouts talk about. He slips off the ball carrier too often even though he gets there often.

He sort of does a lot of momentum tackling
        You can see it on the tape

but he makes a ton of tackles in spite of it

I’ve been saying it for months
        he doesn’t square up like one of my favorite prospects over the last few year, Denzel Perryman

but man does Cunningham cover a lot of ground!

He’s not just instinctive
        he’s really decisive

The volume of tackles or missed tackles to judge Cunningham by is larger than most players
    He is kind of a victim of his own success

If a guy gets to the play that much
    he is not going to make every tackle
    he is certainly disruptive even when a tackle is missed

When you look at our D last year and you see LBs who just are in the wrong place, out of place or just don’t react quick enough – Cunningham might be the perfect solution

I have Cunningham as a significant upgrade over Reddick
    I think both are candidates for us
    Reddick might be a better athlete – but I think that is slight
    but when you look at technique for a LB
    Cunningham blows Reddick away
    Reddick played his career at Temple with his hand in the ground as a DE

Reddick is being projected as a LB (and bet he succeeds)
    but Cunningham has been a LB
    the scouting reports emphasize tackling with Cunningham
    but that’s what you do when you scout a LB – emphasize tackling
    other guys that are projected at LB don’t suffer the same scrutiny

We might be choosing between Cunningham and Reddick at 22
    and IMO Cunningham is a lot more likely to have an impact early in his career than Reddick is
    And I trust Cunningham in coverage much more than Reddick

but Reddick might be able to do a lot more different things than the average LB

Just the pork take

Wedge compared Cunningham to a sidewinder missile for a reason
    he gets there fast!

Also I think you have to give Cunningham a little credit bc the word “ham” appears in his name

I’m not bashing him. All prospects have some cons, very few are “clean” prospects.

I agree

I’m just saying that particularly con is a product of how often he is near the play to begin with

I’d take Reddick over Cunningham. Temple tough baby!

What’s up FUers? I have been so flipping busy I need to catch up on what the Phind are doing

Nice job to Piggy and Mike E on all the scouting reports

Cunningham = Smart pork?

Let’s just hope the Ole Alligator Gar can make an impact this year.

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    April 11, 2017 at 5:06 am

I need to go back and look at Obi again because I turned it off because I was so unimpressed with what I was watching. I guess I’m missing something because, to me, it looked like he had trouble tackling.
    ————————————————
    What your going to see with Obi is that he is inconsistent as you would expect from a guy from a non-power conference and therefore not coached by power conference coaching. I think what you see with him is potential, and things you cant teach like size with considerable athletic ability. I think he needs a NFL weight training program, and really good coaching to gethim to be a stud, but he has everything you need to be one. I think this can be true about a lot of kids coming out of college, even those in the first round discussion. IMO you never worry completely about those kind of issue, you look for things or flaws that cat be coached out or are really hard to get coached out of them. Laziness, low motor, just not a lot of football understanding, etc. those are pretty massive uphill battles and makes me drop a guy a little to a lot depending on severity and which it is.

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    April 11, 2017 at 4:47 am

Bleacher Report‏
    Verified account
    @BleacherReport 12h
    12 hours ago

Is Jabrill Peppers the most overrated prospect in the draft?

The film doesn’t lie…
    ————————————————
    Thats why i havent been piling on the support for him like some of the others. He seems to be a ton of talent wrapped in a lot of confusion about his position of play. I dont really know what to say about him at safety, i know what i think of him as a LB, and that isnt good enough for 22nd, as safety its just a “you guess is as good as mine” thing. What you know for sure is he has electric ability, just undeniable ability once the ball is in his hands to make magic happen and he has good ball skills in general and it seems to be a good understanding of how to be a good football player. Im not sure about his football IQ from like a true understanding of X’s and O’s, but this is also hard to see because they jerked him around from position to position and really havent let him get in deep at any position.

I think with the right coaches, in the right system he is a study in year 1, but they are going to have to make it easy for him. In any system, i think he has about a 60% chance of being a stud in a year or two and thats just based on my ffeeling that he is 60% likely to have a pretty good football IQ to pick things up and maximize his talent.

steveccnv says:
    April 11, 2017 at 10:09 am

What do you guys think of Zach Cunni gham?
    ———————————-
    What i see Steve is a player with a lot of natural ability, instincts, and football smarts. He probably needs a few LB’s and a weight training program, especially if he doesn’t tidy up some of his arm tacking technique. Despite what they keep saying the guy didn’t miss a lot of tackles in College, but he might have only started their tackle and someone else finished it because he would come downhill at them so fast and line himself up just off the side of them, catch them with his arms and then start the twist to bring them down and occasionally lose his grip on them. In the NFL that could become a problem, but i think he will straighten it up and i think he will get stronger making it harder for people to wriggle away from him too.

He has the stuff you cant teach or that you only will be so good at unless some of its natural, so i think he will be really good in the NFl, again with the right development, but with him, i think the developing will be easy because he seems like one of those student of the game kind of players.

Oddly enough let me stick up for the Temple program while applying a hit to the SEC Vandy program. I think Vandy is up and coming but they are an engineering school and they aren’t considered in the circle of the SEC to be a football school, baseball, yes, basketball, sorta kinda, but football no. What Cunningham did he did pretty much on his own. That team had some talent around him, but it wasn’t great and yet they held very tough against other SEC teams with powerful offenses.

Temple on the other hand is extremely well coached on both sides of the ball and they have a lot of talent for a team that’s doesn’t have the talent depth of a big conference school. On the flip of that though, they also dont have the teams that they have face where Reddick has been as tested as Cunningham. I think Reddick has a TON of talent, and i think he has better pass rush ability, but Reddick is no where neat the instincts and overall readiness at LB to play any LB position. He might be better when used in specialized ways until he “gets” the rest of his assignments, but the better overall ready to come in and play any down at any LB spot is Cunningham.

I guess id be in the middle ground, it would be hard for me to choose between Reddick or Cunningham, because i know one if better right now, and one has more star potential but at a bigger risk of not reaching it. Jarrad Davis is the best of both those worlds, except he has a recent injury that he still hasnt fully recovered from that makes you a little wary to select him.

What injury does Davis have?

Davis has an ankle injury that has prevented him from participating at Combine, etc.

Not sure if you caught my earlier post, but Davis ran a 4.56 at his pro day, with a 38.5″ vertical. If it’s the ankle injury, he seems like he’s doing alright

He had them off an on again all year, sometimes playing on it regardless, and sometimes sitting out because it became to severe to play on.

Mike see below, he guts through it. He may be finally turning the corner on them but it was a chronic issue all last year.

Errr….see above this, but below your post lol

I also still really like Anzalone. I know people are all on his injuries but knowing what those injuries were, and knowing the full reasons they didn’t rush him back (therefore creating the OMG he missed so many games fear), i really am not concerned any more with him than i would any other player. If he conditions himself and follows the teams guidance for nutrition and health and i dont see him being a guy who has any issue in the NFL, and that guy is going to put in the time and effort for whatever the team asks of him in those ways.

I mean just look at players who have come in recently like Ragland, or Lawson, etc etc. they didnt have any indicators, but it didnt stop shit from happening. Ajayi did, but he has been fine. Also on the subject of Lawson, how can you guys have fears for one player and in the same breath promote another that has as bad or worse injuries.

Lawson is a prime example, and TBH im not bringing him up to say i think he is a worry in that manner, im bringing it up to point out, lots of great players that we for sure should be considering are going to have things on their history like that so why hold a prospect out of consideration for it without holding all of them out for it lol.

Like Anzalone for us, not necessarily at 22 but as a selection.

Excellent point with the injuries. Ya really never know. I mean you still have to make sure everything is in good working order, but beyond that, it’s impossible to predict.

• dbolt48 says:

Anzalone, outside of injuries, is exactly what you want in a LB. I personally like him better as a player than Davis. Once again I worry about injuries w/ both, but I’d feel better about Anzalone a little later vs Davis early. This is just my opinion.

I mean Anzalone missed the games last year because of a broken arm, those fully repair, and they arent any more likely for breaking again than someone else breaking theirs for the first time.

D, good stuff on Cunningham and Reddick. It will come down to what vision teams have for these guys. I’m like you in that we’re going to draft who our FO picks, not based on anything said here. So whoever we pick in each round hopefully we hit on them. 🙂

Gotcha on the Davis ankle injury

What do you guys think about Anthony Walker Jr.?

• dbolt48 says:

I like Walker….just feel he
      Plays faster & stronger at a lighter weight. Though coming off injury this year he was a little slow and it affected his performance. Still is a viable option between late 2 and early 4.

• dbolt48 says:

Blair Brown from Ohio is a player that really intrigues mean. Has a very nasty temperament, good diagnosis, and wraps up well.

You could draft a guy who has been healthy his entire college career and boom they get hurt in TC and now it’s an issue. Jared Odrick had a steel pin in his leg when he was drafted, broke his leg in his first game in the NFL and missed the entire season, then went on to play in every game for us after that. You never know with injuries. Football is a violent game.

Agree. You do however learn not to count on guys with tons of time missed too though, like Misi

True, I’m talking about draft prospects coming out though. Unless it’s a really serious injury, things like ankle sprains etc. shouldn’t be a big concern. Most football players go through injuries like that.

• dbolt48 says:

Tim for the most part I agree, but then you look at Jelani Jenkins and it seemed it was always something. Sometimes the MO fits the player. Once again it’s a crap shoot.

• dbolt48 says:

Yep.

D-Bolt

Dolphins will never and have never had success with a LB Blair Brown’s size. Oh, wait . . .

We’ll probably draft a LB none of us are discussing. LOL

I like Walker a lot but id rather him trim down again and move to be an OLB for us. He has the football smarts for ILB, but he really got pushed around the year before he bulked up, but when he bulked up he lost some of that elite speed he had for read, react, and blowing up plays. He bulked up because he wanted to appeal to more NFL teams i think and it actually had the reverse effect.

If he does move back to OLB id still want him to work on his technique so he can keep the OL away from his body because if they get to his body its generally over for him.

Mike i think you have to look at the injuries, some can become chronic, and if they keep re-aggravating them its going to be a yearly thing. One of the reasons Wake is such a abnormality, and why i have had to eat my words about him is that he has had those injuries. Achilles is one of those injuries because once torn its going to be a little weaker and you still have to push off hard as a speed rusher, putting strain on it, with age and all that, it really makes the chance of that happening again and again get higher and higher. His just hasn’t, its really freakish. So Misi, especially with the neck and his chronic issues with his back, those are pretty scary and very bad for both the chances he makes it through a season and that he makes it much longer in the sport without being carted off on a stretcher.

DBolt i actually feel the same about Anzalone vs Davis, id much rather have Anzalone with the risk of even being a second round selection of Davis with a first, but Davis with a second vs Anzalone with a second, im kinda on the fence, just because that’s where risk reward starts to balance out. Davis has some very very elite level ability, Anzalone is more instincts and just a more prototypical LB skills set but Davis is for sure the better athlete and could easily be the next Bobby Wagner if he develops as expected. Anzalone could easily be the next Keuchkley. These arent chumps or run of the mill players, and both of them, Anzalone in particular have been consider top talent at every stage of their careers.

• dbolt48 says:

I’m just a huge fan of Davis. I know he’s a great athlete & has an aggressive temperament. The things I don’t like, just from the small sample size I’ve seen, is his propensity to find a blocker rather than the ball carrier, poor disengage ability, & injuries. I also hear about how amazing his game vs Bama was in ’15, but I was severely underwhelmed by it. Also underwhelmed w/ his games vs LSU. I can see why teams would drool over his physical tools though.

• dbolt48 says:

I’m just not a huge fan of Davis. I know he’s a great athlete & has an aggressive temperament. The things I don’t like, just from the small sample size I’ve seen, is his propensity to find a blocker rather than the ball carrier, poor disengage ability, & injuries. I also hear about how amazing his game vs Bama was in ’15, but I was severely underwhelmed by it. Also underwhelmed w/ his games vs LSU. I can see why teams would drool over his physical tools though.

I think Anthony Walker Jr. Is Dy-no-mite!

What i think it was with Jelani is that he never really put it all together and then he became a guy they had to work around not being out there and that made it apparent that they probably could get a guy in the draft or move Alonzo over now that they had Timmons to give them what they needed.

I dont think it was about injuries, because i think the FO and coaching staff don’t look at that like we do, or not fully like we do, but it was more about what they had in him, what they had on the team, and what their plans were and knowing they didnt have to worry about resigning him because they had an alternate plan that would work just as well.

Tim if patterns are to be watched, Raekwon McMillan is a guy to watch for us to draft and i dont think many of here feel he is a player we necessarily swoon over with all the other options. He is however one of the LB’s we have brought in for a private visit.

Hedging your post there DBolt one with a not and one without? lol

I get ya DBolt, i have seen all their games, and in particular see Davis lead our defense, which was one of the top in the country. I agree to some extend with what your saying too but i think a lot of it was having different DC’s through his career and probably having him be asked to play different roles. I see Bobby Wagner type ability though, Wagner comes downhill so damn fast and just blows shit up and thats what Davis can do, but like with everything you have to wonder does he get there, and that to me is more about faith in our coaching staff than it is in the player, because even the best player can be ruined by bad coaches, and some of the most mediocre can do pretty well with the best ones.

Without a doubt though, he and Anzalone were the heart and soul of our defense, even though our secondary was the touted part of it, those guys worked their asses off and lead with their passionate play. We were hurt worse when we lost those guys for games than when we lost our CB’s and S’s so to me that says a lot too.

Our new DC Matt Burke has been a LBs coach for 13 years so let’s hope he knows what he wants at LB. 🙂

I get the feeling he wants a bigger bodied thumper kinda guy in the middle. Part of this is just looking at his group in Cincy and another is from all indicators they have been giving before FA and of course the guys they were looking at during FA. I said this several months ago, even before FA, etc.

I dont know if they feel they have already found that guy though in Timmons, but again, Timmons might be a 1-2 year stop gap so its possible we still draft an ILB like that. Anzalone at 6’3 240+ is a lot more of that, but also has some speed to rush the passer, and cover, etc. McMillian, Beckwith, Gedeon are all pretty good thumper style guys.

I think at OLB they are still going to want a downhill kinda guy, a Davis, or Reddick, or Riley, probably preferably with really good lateral movement skills.

The thing with that article thats important to me is the people they invited back have medical issue that cause them to get bad medical reports and those who were flagged are the ones invited back. The list would give you players that might hadve a hard time participating or have issues that actually might be a concern.

This was the list:
      “Other top prospects who will return for a medical recheck include Wisconsin OT Ryan Ramczyk, UCLA DE Takkarist McKinley, Washington WR John Ross, Western Michigan WR Corey Davis and Michigan TE Jake Butt, per Rapoport. Washington CB Sidney Jones, who injured his Achilles tendon at UW’s pro day, will send in medical records but will not travel to Indianapolis, Rapoport reported.”

Our draft board is so fluid, and we have so many directions we can go in, and we will have so many options at 22, that most the mocksters can come to consensus for us. NFL.com has 5 guys with mocks, every single one of them have a different selection and its different selection from different positions which makes it even weirder.

Also mocksters look and see this team needs that and that team need thais and always go 1st rd, 1st rd, 1st rd. Not always the case, there are other rounds to add needs. So that’s why they aren’t as accurate as they could be. There will be more draftees playing and starting in the league this season from other rounds than the 1st. That’s one way to look at it.

Why is that weird? It’s how the FO set it up, no major weakness, so we can take the best player from several positions, depending on
      what happens prior.

D, on Peppers, his football IQ is pretty high, and it’s easy to spot. I’ve mentioned this before, he keeps the play in front of him, and cleans up a lot of missed tackles by teammates. Its as if he’s playing safety from the LOS. He doesnt always make tge tackle, but he turns the play in for others to make.

April 11, 2017 at 4:16 pm

———————————————–
      Usually though there is a lot more consensus Tim. I can remember several year they might have been wrong but they were generally within the same handful of guys and a lot of time ones of those guys was our guy, and even if there wasnt a player consensus there was for sure a position or two that were consensus. I believe its a sign of something good, im not dogging it in any way, but there is definitely something different about this year that’s making it hard for people to get a bead on us, and i think that difference is we did a really good balanced job in FA to help us be fluid for draft.

See, i know this time i had not hit reply, well i did but then i refreshed the page so it would give me the spot to add a new post, and it still attached back to the reply. Definitely BROKE 🙂

Maybe its just senile like Mikey.

I think you’re broke😉 computers work on logic, of course it could always be a big, but from what you’re stating it’s used error.

Bug

D is slipping! At such a young age, too! D, what are you going to be like when you get as old as me?

steveccnv says:
    April 11, 2017 at 4:20 pm

———————————-
    Since it screwed up and put the other reply, ill reply here to you Steve.

I think thats what im saying with he has good player IQ, i couldnt tell by watching him as a LB that he had good X’s and O’s kinda smarts, as much as it looks like he just put himself in a good position to help out. You can do that without understanding what you are doing on a play, or being able to read an offensive formation and know what they are probably running just by how they are set up. He’s more reaction based, spotting the flow of the play making a decisions to come downhill and make the tackle, again, its not a knock against the player i just dont think he did very showed that at LB, and its impossible to know if its true at safety.

Ultimately though if they keep it simple for him in the first year and broaden his understanding of the system slowly over next couple of years he could start for us and at very least be a rotational guy and id have him in more likely run scenarios. Im not pooping on your guy, i like him, he plays good football, im just not sold on him as the perfect pick at 22. The potential for getting a great player is definitely there and i think good player is a cant miss with him.

Reddick has some Cam Wake in him, along with his speed to the QB, he also sets or doesn’t set the edge like Wake. I think he’s out of position at DE, even in college. He stands up at least half the time, and does go into coverage, so I don’t see a big transition to OLB in the NFL. I’m stuck between Reddick and McDowell at 22.

Tim, on drafting injured players or players with an injured past, you can always find guys on both sides of the argument, it’s the percentages that matter. You have to take all things into account though, maybe player A is better, but has injuries or is better suited for your team.

I think if your medical staff clears him then you dont concern yourself with the injuries, you just need to know healthy right now and no lingering damage that could be re-aggravated.

I think this is basically it. If teams feel good about the medical reports they take away the red flag and put the prospect on their board where they have him graded.

I think for me, im either hoping we get Charlton or Barnett, whichever makes it to us. If neither, then im all for Reddick, Peppers, etc, just because im feeling a little more gambler this year than saftey dance.

D, refresh won’t take you out of reply, you have to cancel it.

Expect our bye to come in week 5, right after the London game. Between the Marlins, stadium upgrades, London games, we just can’t seem to get a late bye.

If someone asked you right now, who do you think your Phins are taking at #22, who would you say? Gut feeling.

I’ll say Malik McDowell – versatile big DL early on who could end up being a full-time DT in a few years. The talent is there, he needs to mature and polish his game. He’ll be just 21 in June at already 6-6 295 and he can move. With our vet DL group I think we can develop him while getting something right away out of him. He won’t get a lot of snaps every week, but should be in that 15-20 range in a rotation. Hopefully our defense plays less overall snaps this year than last year.

I still think we need to add a 3rd DT who can fill in for Suh and Phillips at the position, but Hayes and McDowell could see snaps inside at times. Maybe we add a journeyman vet down the road who at least is an NFL player. Not looking for dominance here, just some serviceable snaps. Right now it’s just Nick Williams and Lawrence Okoye.

I’ve been saying McDowell for the past couple of weeks, and added Reddick in today, because McDowell may not be there, but my pick is still McDowell. 20 snaps would be a little low, since I expect him to get some at DE too, so more like 30-40.

I’ve been talking McDowell along with you. That’s a lot of snaps with Wake, Suh, Phillips, Branch, Hayes and someone else, even Fede who’s gonna have to compete for a spot this year if we go in this direction. I’m going on the notion that our offense becomes a better ball control offense and our defense plays less snaps. It was lopsided last year, defense on the field too long which irritated Gase.

Oh Warmsley is back as well but he’s listed as a DE, not a DT this year, but that doesn’t mean it’s accurate.

I feel Reddick will be gone before McDowell. But who the fuck knows?!! LOL

Part of the 30-40 snaps is based on Phillips not taking 40 snaps at DT, and Suh needing to take some snaps off. Why play Phillips 40+, if he can’t handle it, not saying he can’t, just don’t expect it.

Steve, I wouldn’t expect McDowell to be able to play that many snaps out of the gate. Phillips is ahead of him in NFL experience and reportedly is training with Suh. That will work itself out, it was just a projection on my part. He’d also play STs early on. He’s a young dude who would be in a vet room. It’s not as easy you make it seem.

When I say guys track well I wasn’t talking about McMillian, he’s one of those guys that just goes through the motions, follows behind and with 4.78 speed I guess it really doesn’t matter.

My biggest draft bust.

He’s not a 1st rd pick. This could be a non-factor game for him and the worst case scenario. There is a reason he’s viewed as a 2-3. He might fall until the 5th. I’ve seen it happen with less dynamic LBs who don’t excel as a pass rusher or coverage guy. Those types are a dime a dozen. This clip surely makes him seem slow in all phases.

98. dbolt48 says:

I think the puck will be either Reddick or Cunningham. Think they’ll target DE in RD 2 & possibly 3. If Miami trades down in RD 1 then I think Tyus Bowser and Raekwon McMillan will be named to watch.

99. dbolt48 says:

Nfl network airing their live mock draft right now. They’re t pick 16.

Peppers

If we draft Peppers the GrAntman probably won’t make the team.

Drake is the best kickoff returner in the league

Let’s say we draft Peppers in the 1st round
    Can we all agree that the 2nd round pick should be nicknamed “onions”

105. http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article144102259.html
    ++++++++++
    Armando suggesting the Phins are looking to “kill” this draft. In order to do that you’d have to find 3 players in the first 3 rounds who start early enough in the season and play enough to have an immediate impact on the team.
    Who are these players? I’m not sure they’re there. We could probably get an offensive linemen early enough who would start and have that kind of impact in year 1 but I don’t know so much there’s any defensive players out there who could do the same.

106. I’d take Ryan Anderson or Carroll Phillips over McMillan any day. I know we’re talking two different LB positions here but McMillan doesn’t show the instincts or range you’d want in a MLB. Phillips or Anderson on the outside would be great picks.

Ireland “killed” the 2013 draft

Between 2012 and 2013 and 18 draft picks, Tannehill is the lone survivor. Now to be fair some left via FA and were good players. But still, that’s not that long ago to only have 1 of 18. Ugh!

not sure this is a good idea. You should be confident but keep it to yourself. It’s hard enough beating the pats without giving them bulletin board material.

• Phindog says:

He was respectful with his comments.. He just has a winning attitude and hates to lose. He expects to compete and win. I like the attitude !!

110. Rhino says:

probably old gossip… but McShay’s most recent picks for 3 rounds has Fins getting Conley at 22 and Cunningham in the 2nd round !! Hell, I’d take that, but not sure how he thinks Cunningham drops that far (is there a bong video we haven’t seen yet?)

April 11, 2017 at 6:38 pm

Trade up for Reuben Foster! 🙂
    Zach Cunningham

Cespedes

Been sorta of busy and count on you guys for the news…..reading over seems there has not been much. ‘Tis that time of year.

Did catch that Jarvis said we would sweep the Pats though. No that ain’t happening, but part of why he is the heart of the team.

The team appears to be in full draft mode now.

He said it more of as a goal, and the thoughts that we’re going to be good this year, but as all writers do, they want it to be a big story, so they take it of context.

The negative spin always seems to be preferred. Bulletin board material? Yeah like the Pats really care what we say. LOL

Guess cause of what the writers did was why it popped up on my screen, but still nothing wrong with him thinking that way. Be different if Gase said the same.

Question for you cap guys.
    Over The Cap has us at $20,815,773
    Spotrac has us at $15,981,668

Which one is accurate?

Somewhere in the middle lies the truth
      Jewish Prophet

Probably neither. You’d think, since theres been no transactions recently, they’d both have it correct.

They each have their own way about going about it (including mistakes at times), but what does it really matter? Key thing is we have as much money as we need for pretty much anything and overall cap shape is good…..including drawing into the future if ever needed.

Well Armando reported not long ago about $21M so maybe that one is right.

Slide Baby Slide!

OH oh Randy may still be the OL guru?

Paul Domowitch‏
      @pdomo

NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah said one NFL coach he talked to called this o-line draft crop worst in 15 years.

I don’t put much into anything said this time of year. I’ve watched some of the top interior lineman and there’s at least 4 that are pretty good. It isnt deep at OL, but that doesnr mean you cant get a good one. If the spread is causing this, then they really don’t know how they’ll play in NFL.

That’s been reported since the beginning of the year. Of course there will be some good ones and not all early, it’s just viewed as a thin draft for OL. Part of the problem is all the spread college teams play and all the quick passes. Nobody has to do much for very long.

That’s why I posted a couple of weeks ago, teams sometimes target the the top prospects at a position that is weak early knowing their chances of getting a good one later isn’t good. So get them when you can and then target deep positions later.

April 12, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Question for you cap guys.
    Over The Cap has us at $20,815,773
    Spotrac has us at $15,981,668

Which one is accurate?
    ——————————————-
    Both. One is including the approximately 5mil needed to cover draft picks and the other isnt.

I didn’t realize that the little bell at the upper right hand corner of the page gets a little red dot and you can click it to see replies to your previous post. I just clicked it and saw this reply from Mike E

Mike E.
    4 daysFinsmob Unleashed
    Yeah, I think it was 7-2 Marlins, you FUCK!

HE HE HE HE HE!!!
    from “Rock-ladylegs-phin”

Man i just found out about the Pepsi “controversial ad” and people are so concerned with their right to be mad that they aren’t seeing things for the positive things trying to be said. That commercial isnt anything but pro everybody realizing we are all people (in the case of the add, centered around youth, and i guess an appreciate for Pepsi lol) and yeah its using unity and the hope for an end to that crap to commercialize their product but wtf, it was a good message imo, and i don’t see how it trivializes anything. We are a really fucked up world when we are no longer fighting for a solution, but fighting no to find one so we can stay mad at each other.

It’s all about opposition and money. If the opposition’s people said exactly the same thing it would be great.

I read your post and I avoided watching it before
      Bc I think those sort of controversies usually disappoint
      So I watched it for the first time

I don’t know, I think that is maybe the corniest commercial I’ve ever seen

I don’t think there is anything worth getting offended by in it

But I already think all things kardashian/Jenner are cheesy on their own

It’s probably no different than 1000 other commercials
      But people are cynical
      I embrace my cynicism

Is that so bad? To poke fun at Pepsi for creating a fantasy where Pepsi brings people together

I don’t want to hyper-analyze it
      But i do think it’s cheesy as hell

I don’t drink Pepsi anyway …lol

Cheezy for sure, but harmless. My problem was more with the reaction to it it being so damn negative and ill, than it was that Pepsi made a great commercial.

It was definately harmless

It was not as bad as the reaction led me to beleive

But that said, I think its funny that it backfired in them

These United Airlines memes are hilarious.

The lawsuits that are going to pile in from that incident is going to make this one of the biggest litigation in a very long time. United can be sued, as well as O’Hare and the City of Chicago since the police that drug him out were part of the CPD. Take what he will sue them for personally, add it to all the class action lawsuits for emotional distress, etc and its going to be really big and really expensive.

The anxiety has already caused their stock to plummet

I don’t remember ever flying them
        But there are a few nickel and dime airlines out there that I have always avoided

There are even a few airports (laguardia) that I avoid

They were going around work today. The best was the Chinese takeout.

I think im still leaning DE, with pick 22, as in Charlton or Barnett, whichever is there. Peppers or Reddick if they aren’t, though id probably weight out taking Lamp, Cunningham, or McDowell if i decided to do the safety dance. Peppers to me would be my most roll the dice gamble pick there, but there is also a chance that gamble pays off big too.I also think there are some DL guys who could be equivalent to McDowell in the second Wormley is one of those guys who could probably give us anywhere from 3-5 technique pass rusher, same as McDowell.

Lol D, what does that have to do with Chinese take out😉

I can see Reddick being a Von Miller type in a couple of years, when they put some weight/strength on him. He’s an inch and a half shorter and 13 pounds lighter, but he has the quickness.

I think his ability to make explosive plays and i see where you are going with that comparison, but i see him more like a Bobby Wagner guy. i think he has to put on some weight to do what Wagner does but about 15lbs of muscle and i think he’s there. I dont know that i like him in a 3-4 as an OLB, so i dont know i see him as able to do what Miller does, but as a 4-3 Will or Sam i think he would be pretty dominant. I know Wagner is their MLB, but with the way they shift him around, etc and the way he plays is more OLB than a prototypical Mike

Star Wars theme memes are the best

D says:
    April 12, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Steve, you think 15lbs would slow him down that much? i dont, you cant add 10-15 lbs and maintain speed and quickness. 15lbs of fats a different story because your adding weight and the stuff your adding doesnt help compensate for itself. Adding muscle, you are adding helps your body handle the extra weight, it might affect him ever so slightly, but not much.

TJ Watt has a visit scheduled with us, just say no. He uses his hands like he’s playing tiddle winks, and is slow. Some think he’ll go in the first, if we take him in the first I’m going to change teams to the LV Raiders 😛

127. All draft talked out for now. Don’t even want to think about it at this point

April 12, 2017 at 4:13 pm
    April 12, 2017 at 2:00 pm
    Question for you cap guys.
    Over The Cap has us at $20,815,773
    Spotrac has us at $15,981,668
    Which one is accurate?
    ——————————————-

____________________
    both are including the draft class figure. Spotrac’s cap space w/o it is at $9.9M. I believe their number to be a bit closer to actual. Our cap space is around $11M and $17 w/the draft class. Spotrac still hasn’t adjusted Misi’s salary and added in Fales yet.

So what are the $16M and $21M numbers missing, besides the rookie cap? They always seem to add in the rookie cap, without subtracting out the 7 bottom salaries.

• Spotrac’s $16M is including the rookie pool. They estimate close to $6M for that and that brings us down to the $9.9M estimate they have.

The last I checked, OTC had us at $15M and change too and I can’t get the link right now so I don’t know where the $20M came from.

Cap Space (w/Top 51 & Projected Draft Pool) – $9,995,089 which is retarded, because you only count the top 51 right now, not 51 + draft pool.
        Cap Space (w/Top 51) $15,981,668, this is the real number.

The rookie pool is roughly $2M net, once you take off the bottom 8 contracts and add in the rookie pool, so really the 1st rounder is all that adds to the cap.

The 5 bottom draft picks actually don’t even count against the salary cap, because 5 guys we have on the roster now have higher contracts, if all rookies make the team the cap would go up. the top 3 rookies count an additional 1,612,006 against our cap. The number I come up with after taking out the dead money is $14,369,662

MIKE E: Your Mets (looking VERY strong) are heading to Miami for a 4-game series at Marlins Park Thursday thru Sunday. This is undoubtedly the BIGGEST 4-game series for the Fish since they won 3 out of 4 against the Cubs last summer in the “South Beach Showdown Series.” That series would be the high point of what became a dreadful year for the Marlins while the Cubbies went on to win the World Series. –Gotta believe the Mets have the edge with their superior pitching. But Yelich, Stanton and Ozuna have been hitting well the last few games. Key veteran Martin Prado will miss the entire series for Miami. He is a big loss.

I have a healthy respect for the Marlins. They put out out a great lineup every night, both in the field and at bat. Should be a good series. Enjoy it! Goodnight!

The draft is so late nowadays that I lose interest long before it happens. I’ll be in Cali for vacation during that time anyway. I may watch it and I may not.