A Bruce Banner Like Draft

bruce-banner-image

By Dr. Bruce Banner

It’s almost that time again. Time for me to start sweating, pacing, shaking my fists, finding myself in some back alley with pants and shirt torn to shreds. Yes I am talking about draft time. All the countless hours of anxiety leading up to and dissecting our draft needs and who is the one and only person that can right this franchise in one fell swoop. Year after year I experience the anxiety and then the eventual explosion of rage as I watch the Phins over reach, trade down, draft a family instead of football player and well you get the picture. However, for some unknown reason this year’s draft seems different to me. I am not feeling my palms sweat, I am not walking around in a rage and I have not woken up with my clothes all torn since the playoffs ended. I began to wonder why I am not suffering from my usual pre-draft anxiety this year. My only answer is that success breeds success.

I know one winning season and a one and done in the playoffs is not much of a measure of success and we can easily revert to our old ways but there seems to be something different about this team. The players don’t quit when they are down, it overcame key injuries, it won on the road, it won close games and most of all there is a quiet confidence that starts with the coach and resonates with the players. I think this brings a different outlook and attitude as this team heads into the draft.

In year’s past we were always looking at the draft to land that one impact player, to land weapons, to be the face of and carry the franchise. When I look at this team heading into this draft my thought is we are no longer looking for weapons or franchise players. We have those on both sides of the ball in multiple positions. What we are looking for are pieces. Pieces to fill out the roster. As our elder statesman of the blog Stanger has pointed out, we have been linked to 21 different players at R1P22. That is a good thing. It means we are not desperate to fill out one position. It means we can take best player available as opposed to drafting just for need. We can take Forrest Lamp and solidify the interior of the line. A unit that showed much progress last year. We can take Jabrill Peppers and team him up with Reshard Jones and create a more physical presence at Safety. We can draft David Njoku and give Tannehill a freakishly athletic tight end the likes of which we have not seen in Miami. Even taking someone like Taco Charlton, whom I am not a huge fan of, is still not a bad pick. This is to just name a few of our options. The fact is that we are in a good spot in this draft and for once we don’t seem to be desperate.

To me the more significant portion of this draft will not be round but rather what we do in rounds 3-5 may have a bigger impact on our team than what we do in rounds 1-2. What this team needs more than anything is depth. Every team has to deal with injuries and ultimately injuries took their toll on this team last year, in particular on the offensive line and in the secondary. Getting 3-4 guys in the middle rounds who can play when called on as a backup may have impact than whoever we draft in round 1. Which to me is a good sign as to the direction of where this team is headed. One name for a 3rd rounder to keep an eye is Obi Melifonwu, S from Uconn. He can be a nice athletic addition to a depth chart. Or perhaps we can look at depth at Center where our oft injured Mike Pouncey has struggled to stay on the field. Perhaps an Ethan Pocic from LSU or Kyle Fuller from Baylor would give us much needed depth at that position. Once again these are just a few names that we can watch to see what happens come the draft.

Of course I don’t put it past our team to draft a long snapper and punter in rounds 1 and 2 and I find myself turning all green and waking in a dumpster again. However, for the first time in a long time I get the sense that almost no matter what direction we go in the draft we are going to be alright. So everyone  just relax and chill.

Meditating Hulk

Elflein

3B
    D Walker
    A Garcia

3C
    J Johnson

4. That’s all I’ve come up with so far. 19 players.

5. Steve,
    you know darn well I don’t “parrot” anyone.

Lou is a plagerizer. Steve caught him. However, Steve may still be mad at Lou for Ross not voting to move the Raiders to Las Vegas, so it may or may not be true.

And Lou, you forgot Davis on your 1st round list.

AMEN, Phelon. We COULD, and HAVE, done a lot worse than Davis in the first round under the leadership of the Ross/Ireland/Carl Peterson “brain” trust!!
      —————-
      OOPS!! Is that thunder or HULK I’m hearing in the background??

Lou doesnt like UF players

Adam Beasley‏ @AdamHBeasley
    Despite other interest, Dolphins’ Thomas signs one-year RFA tender

I see you guys are still on your man crushes. I don’t balme ya, i really want a few players to be drafted by us, but id keep in mind, 4 of past 5 years, the 1st rounder has been a player we brought in for a private visit, and the only exception was Tunsil who was an unexpected fall. 2nd round has come from a visit 5 out of 5, and 3rd round has come from a visit 4 out of 5. I know the rumors about the visits being smoke screens swirl around, but numbers like that suggest they arent just smoke screens. Its not to say we wouldn’t deviate, we could have another Tunsil situation, they might not have any of those guys who have visited be available, etc, but patterns are patterns for reasons so i say look to the visits as a really good indication of who might be selected.

• Rhino says:

Task for anyone with the time: post a list of all the players who visited (or were rumored to have visited)

There is a list out there, Google Dolphins news and look for articles pertaining to draftees visits, and the link is on the bottom.

Could not agree more Ken — and what a great write. Dr. Banner writes like I think with more style. Do miss the Hulk sometimes though.

“We can take Jabrill Peppers and team him up with Reshard Jones and create a more physical presence at Safety.” in Hukspeak would be “Peppers make Phins safttes smash.”

Good write up, Ken. But you seriously wouldn’t put it past our team to draft a long snapper and punter in rounds 1 and 2? LOL

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet
    Sources: While #Jaguars coach Doug Marrone held his first team meeting, new LT Branden Albert was not present. Holding out for a new deal.

OD

Like I expected it to be, the Marlins vs Mets was an exciting, well fought series. Congrats to your Marlins, they were the better team this week. I enjoyed the games, even if I wasn’t happy we lost 3 of 4.

Very nice write up Ken! Good to see you back!

I am off to court. I will check back later

These have been our private, local, or workout private visits.

Private (counts towards 30) Visits (15)
    Chase Allen ILB Southern IL
    Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio State
    Obi Melifonwu S UConn
    David Njoku TE TheU
    Jonnu Smith TE FIU
    Jalen Tabor CB UF
    Deatrich Wise Jr. DE Arkansas

Private workouts (could have been at pro day or some other visit with them) (8)
    Corn Elder CB TheU
    Dan Feeny OG Indiana
    Marcus Maye S UF
    Malik McDowell DT/DE Michigan St.
    Jalen Myrick CB Minnesota
    Derek Rivers DE Youngstown St
    Travis Rudolph WR FSU
    TJ Watt, OLB/ILB Wisconsin

Local visit, same as a private visit but not counted against the 30, limited to those who either live in or went to college in the local area.(7)
    Stacey Coley WR TheU
    Corn Elder CB TheU
    Dieugot Joseph OT FIU
    Brad Kaaya, QB TheU
    William Likely CB Maryland
    David Njoku TE TheU
    Jalen Tabor CB UF

Some names you might see on two different lists, because we met with them on multiple different occasions as a private workout/meeting. Also i think you can count almost any Alabama prospect as on a private workout just because it seems as if Gase really trusts Saban’s evaluations so its likely whatever breakdown Saban gives Gase would make them good or not good in his book, which im sure those opinions get passed up to the FO.

This is all i could find with a quick search, any of you have any updates to this list?

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 21m21 minutes ago

25 replies 114 retweets 159 likes

They said that prospects are refusing any private workouts now….wtf how does this benefit them

There is your draft day attendees, any shockers?

Chido Awuzie is the only one on that list i have a hard time believing might go in the first, but if he is on that list, there are some with him on their day 1 big board.

So Albert is holding out for a re-do on his contract. Can’t blame him actually since it is probably his last chance to get a serious one done…….at the same time might also explain in part why he is not here. And his negotiating leverage increased when he went to a team where he would be the LT.

And this might explain why they are planning on keeping Landry.

“Landry is heading into the final year of his contract and there’s been chatter this offseason about working on an extension with the team. Nothing has come to fruition and that can sometimes lead players to skip voluntary work, but Landry’s view is that “football players don’t hold out from football things.”

Lolz at Albert’s holdout

That’s frickin hilarious!
    When I opened it up I almost spit my coffee out!

I read ” A Bruce Jenner like Draft ” and thought WTF happened to the Hulk?

Albert Breer‏ @AlbertBreer
    Dolphins hosting DBs late in the process: Florida S Marcus Maye, Texas A&M S Justin Evans in today; Clemson CB Cordrea Tankersley tomorrow.

3rd rd safeties and a 2nd rd corner.

Makes me wonder if we’re thinking about Desmond King. We had him in for a visit and private workout. He’d be in that 2nd-3rd Round range.

Really you’re wondering that? LOL

Yeah, I phrased that extremely awkwardly, LOL. I should have stated that I wonder if we’d pull the trigger on Desmond King in the 2nd Round. I see far more pressing needs, but seems we’re really adamant about getting a DB within the first 3 Rounds.

It’s just that Desmond doesn’t fit our prototypical size-mold at DB… whether it be at CB or S.

BALLHAWK!!!
        MAN CRUSH!!!

MF13, don’t worry about the size of a CB we’re looking at slot corners. We can’t beat the cheats with Bobby playing the slot.

Its the second time I heard that Justin Evans has visited

M13, Gase said he wants more corners and we didn’t add any in FA so I’d say there is a very good chance we draft one in the first 3 rounds.

Paul Kuharsky‏ @PaulKuharskyNFL

Titans make release of CB Jason McCourty official. GM Jon Robinson: “I have a ton of respect for Jason and what… (link: http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0645667648998219331-4) espn.com/espn/now?nowId…

27. 81Howie says:

MikeE
    What the hell just happened. Syndergaard, Degrom, Harvey… Must have been Cespedes didnt feel well.
    I dont care!
    5-2 MARLINS!!
    HELL YEAH!!!

Steve, it appears nobody can beat the Pats with the nickels they have.

Because you cant do it with the CB’s only, you have to have coverage LB’s. They have too many weapons to throw at the middle and you have to press thier receivers and keep them off their route timing. Its a pretty hard thing to do against their anywhere from 4-5 weapons they send at ya.

Hogan, Edelman, Amendola, Lewis, Gronk or whatever TE’s they have in there, now Cooks and Malcom Mitchell mixed in. Pick your poison.

To me a lot of it is about tackling as well. As for the nickels, they often get picked because you can’t press them when they bunch them up and run those screens. Most of the damage the Pats do is YAC, they don’t beat you down the field often. When they do is when they catch teams off guard and someone comes open clean. You don’t see Brady throw a lot of contested type passes – meaning letting his receivers win the one on one battle. That’s why he doesn’t throw a lot of picks.

So when playing the Pats offense you need a solid 4 man rush and cover with 7. Keep everything in front of you, hit them and make the tackle. If you don’t they score often because those guys do make plays after the catch. They spread the field a lot so one missed tackle means additional chunk yardage and a 1st down or a long TD. They will do that all day.

You also need to hit Brady enough so that you force him into getting the ball out quickly and know it’s coming. If he’s comfortable in the pocket, it’s impossible to stop them. They’ll dink and dunk all day, run the ball at times and take some shots down the field.

It’s funny, you almost have to force them into their bread and butter to beat them – quick short passes, but you have to tackle them. They throw a lot of stuff just beyond the LOS so if you allow 1-3 yard passes to go for 7-8 or more, then you can’t compete.

Tim he has had a couple 2nd and 3rd round CBs in on visits too.

Not sure if this is a reliable source but posting it

Rhino says:
    April 17, 2017 at 10:20 am

steveccnv says:
    April 17, 2017 at 11:16 am

————————————-
    You can also look up on this page i listed a bunch of them.

Fournette is doing same thing as McCafferty…sorta kinda. McCafferty has refused to do any private workouts for any team. They were both also the guys who skipped their bowl games.

NCB isnt always a little guy. In the past year it generally was because the slot receiver was a tiny agile guy. Slot receivers are a different mold these days and how you play them sometimes warrants a bigger CB who can bump them off their routes more than just stay in their pocket, so i could see us getting a bigger guy at a slot guy. Smaller hasn’t been working for us with McCain. Hell you have TE’s, and big receivers in the slot, like Fitzgerald, these days so who you are covering has changed too.

past years…

I think McCain gets a bad rap. He can’t cover Edelman, Amendola and backs like Lewis and White all at the same time. It’s not one slot guy, it’s how they use all those guys.

Picks, rubs, grabs, pulls, you name it they do it, especially when they need a big 1st down.

Right, you need to get them to the ground on the first tackle attempt. Knocking the shit out of them early also helps. LOL

D, I’m talking more about defending the Pats then most other teams. There is a reason the Pats WRs and some of their RBs are all on the smaller side. They prefer stop and go quickness over size and pure long distance speed. I’m still surprised the rest of the league hasn’t followed that formula.

There’s a lot the cheats do that I’m surprised others haven’t followed.

You know what they also do and this is part of why Belichick is considered one of the best game planners. They use different personnel for different opponents and don’t play the same way every week. The game is about matchups.

We have some good size at corner and at safety, I think we need more quick twitch guys, not just one in McCain who lead all CBs at the combine in 4 athletic/quickness categories in 2015. He’s entering his 3rd season which is big for all young players.

Im not a big believer in him, i think we have seen the most of him we will, but i am also a guy who will hld out hope as long as possible for the players still on my team. I even held out a small amount of hope in my heart that this year Dion Jordan would show us something, even though deep down he his time had already passed by in my mind. I havent seen anything in him so far that makes me believe he isnt a liability, and i would really like a upgrade over him, but maybe you are right maybe he changes my opinion, a couple players on this team have done that in the past so just see if he is another one.

That’s why I have pointed out we have a number of young players in that 2-4 year range heading into this season. They are as critical if not more so than anyone we draft this year. No guarantee starting at #22 if we stay there will be a franchise changing player or in the following rounds. You definitely want to add some good young prospects who pan out, every team is looking to do that with 7 or so picks. I think the FO and coaches knowing this team better with a year under their belts, and the core guys and vets on the team taking it to another level will have the bigger impact anyway.

My hope is we hit on at least two draft picks that add an impact with some others showing promise and contributing. I’m not looking at this draft to be the difference maker, but to sustain it where we make the playoffs in consecutive years and hopefully one year soon it all comes together for the big prize. 🙂

The big thing the Pats do is they have a very simple set of formations, but they run a complex number of different plays out of those formations. LB’s who have to help set up the defensive formations and call shifts, etc cannot really tell what play is coming by any normal markers they would use to make the determination, as a result the defense is always on its heels and having to recover on plays, and of course with their personnel, you only have a split second to read, and react before they are open for completion. The reason its not mimicked is that it take perfect personnel and execution and Belichick is able to get that out of his players and most teams havent been doing it as long and there is always some small amount of failure on someones part which causes the whole thing to unravel. Its a testament to how very under control Belichick has his team.

Totally agreed. Belichick found a niche surrounded by a reliable core that evolves year to year with some key long term components like Brady. His program has been in place for 15 years. That’s why they remind me of the NJ Devils of the 90s into the new millennium. They change some personnel with new guys who can play the same important roles around the core guys. Gase just started his new culture and system. It may take a few years to get rolling like that.

We can’t just be built to beat NE. We have to beat everyone else on the schedule. Part of beating NE is outcoaching Belichick, and very few manage to do that. Good tackling, and lots of pressure from the front 4 is big, but that alone won’t beat them.

So how do you outcoach him? It’s about matchups. I never said just build a team to beat the Pats. But you need players who can. They are the top dog in the league and in our division.

Your last sentence baffled me. Good tackling which was something we didn’t do well last year, nor did we have a consistent pass rush, would most certainly make a difference in beating them. It’s the two biggest reasons we didn’t.

You dont design your team to beat the patriots, you are right that cant be your only point to your team, but you have to have a system and players that can do it. No matter what, it seems that the road to the Superbowl for us will go through them at multiple points. I know what you are saying but what im saying still holds, you have to know how to beat them, and you have to have the players capable of beating them. Think about this, for us to get to the superbowl, unless something drastic happens to them, we have to beat them 3 times in a year. Thats 1/6th our entire season has to be devoted to beating that team.

No Mike, but you have to start out built to beat them. You cant be the champ, until you beat the champ. We’ve seen this in other sports too, Jordan had to beat the Pistons first, LeBron had to beat Boston.

To beat the Pats you have to out coach him for sure, you have to throw him a curveball he isnt anticipating or you have to be so inside his head you can predict what he is going to do next. The latter is going to be really f’ing hard to impossible. You also have to have a very committed, focused and unified team, again, this is back to coaching a good bit, players have to commit to the coach and believe he can get us through it. Finally we just have to play like we belong, the patriots know they belong, they just assume they will be in the playoffs , because no one has rattled the confidence that that is where they belong. We have to pop them in the mouth and make them understand, its going to be a fight every year for them to take it from us, we have to gain our own confidence and break theirs. Its a long friggin road but it goes through them and we have to be able to beat them to get there.

The teams that have knocked them out of the playoffs have mostly done it by physicality, Balt, Den, NYG. The same way the cheats won their first SB, Punching the Rams in the mouth.

The key to beating the Pats is to hit Brady. Hit him often. Hit him hard. Just keep hitting him. He is not comfortable when he is forced to move in the pocket. The second part to beating him is playing tight coverage on all those little crossing routes. Make him hold the ball so you can hit him more. You will get beat on something down the field but you take your chances with that and hopefully deliver more pain to Brady.

See my 3:11 post.

The thing about tight coverage is about personnel though. Yeah of course, do you have it? 😉

One thing the coaches lead by Burke has to do is improve overall team tackling. I mean he’s a career LB coach, that’s their main job. LOL

We split with the Pats from 2013 thru 2015 and got swept last year because they beat our defense. We made a valiant comeback in the first game but we were undermanned in the last game on both sides of the ball. They outscored us 66-38.

April 17, 2017 at 4:55 pm

—————————
    Tim i think we are finally getting to the point where that is going to be true, draft is going to get almost mundane for us if we are doing things right because no draft pick is going to be considered a must produce guy, they will be a future starter for sure, but we wont be on the edge of our seats waiting for that name to be called because we think this is the guy thats going to make the difference. We are sorta kinda there right now, and being half there and half not we are kinda at the point where a lot of player we could take could make a difference, but none of them HAVE to. We could use a LB of the future, sure, but what we have with Alonzo, Timmons, and maybe Hewitt+Misi stepping up some should be enough to make it through. We could use a S of the future for sure, but TJ, Allen, Thomas, Aikens, and Jones will probably get us through, DE same deal, but maybe a little more push to get a guy ready by next year, OG probably same boat as DE, but in general, most other positions we are looking for future contributors.

I dont know what we will due if things continue to move this way because eventually we are going to have so little to talk about draft wise we might die of boredom during this part of the year lol.

We’re all nuts about guard these days while I think Pouncey is the key to the OL being good. Of course you can’t have everyone going down, what team can? If he’s done because his body won’t hold up, we’ll use one of the other 4 guys on the roster who can play center and it is what it is for 2017. You can’t have a perfect backup for all your top players. That’s fantasy land.

You beat the Pats by scoring more points than they do.

45. drg says:

All this patsies talk is depressing. I can’t even speak rationally about them anymore. Hatred runs DEEP.

All we can do is keep building and be a smart, well run organization. It’s amazing what one year has done for the overall feel of the team. Players seem engaged, motivated, and want to be here. Brady can’t stay healthy forever. We should be well positioned to take over the division in a couple years if all goes well.

The first voluntary workout was today

Good job Ken. I kinda feel the same way. I have my favorites but I feel like whatever way we go it will be good.

Mike E, Pig, Ken, and other Star Wars fans…

I just saw “Rogue One” for the first time today after buying it on Blu-Ray. If y’all haven’t already seen it, SEE IT!!! And if you didn’t already know, it’s the so-call “lead up” to Episode IV (the OG Star Wars we grew up on).

And YES(!!!)… James Earl Jones is voicing Vader!!! IT ROCKS!!!

Good evenin’, Son! How goes it, sir?

Goin good man.
      I’m ready for the draft but the schedule comes out this week so that’ll be cool

Son and Mrs. Son,

Now playing… “Harden My Heart” by Quarterflash

Patty Smythe was cuter

Sitting in the dentist office waiting for an 8:45 pm appointment. Sounded like a good idea at the time

Don’t EVER feel ‘old’… REVEL in the greatness of what was once MUSIC and pray for the puppies that make so-called ‘music’ today.

There’s still hope!

LUV this song! Sounds like a rip-off of DJ Quik in the 90s…

Bruno Mars – 24K Magic [Official Video]

THAT was the magic of the 90s FUNK (WEST COAST). Too bad Bruno Mars is making “bling” a thing in these dire economic times. Bad message (jewels, cash, sex, bling, etc)… but GOOD sounding music, IMO.

Did we pick Jarrard Davis yet?

Latest star wars are pretty boring to me.

• pheloniusphish says:

Don’t ruin it for me. Haven’t seen them yet.

• sb7mvp says:

I actually fell asleep for a majority of Rogue One. Woke up in time to catch the best part though.

• pheloniusphish says:

Just saw Logan and was somewhat underwhelmed.

Not surprised
        Not sure why Marvel think wolverine is the only X-Men that warrants so much film time

I didn’t really think it was anything special either

I like that Disney is expanding the universe and making a lot more of the Star Wars themed films
      But they are nowhere as good imo

I will take a mediocre Star Wars sequel over the fast and the furious #108 any day of the week – have no idea how the keep squeezing juice out of that lemon 🍋

Lou & others are right, Tannehill sucks.
    Draft a QB in the 1st round Phins, it’s our only hope!

• pheloniusphish says:

Ah, sweet baby Jesus GD…Lou hates Fahey. Devoted several hours of blogging about how he knows nothing, the limey bastard. And you gotta stir it up again…

LMAO, Oops….I guess I haven’t frequented enough lately. My bad. I’ll put the mixer away.

pheloniusphish says:

April 17, 2017 at 9:31 pm (Edit)

Did we pick Jarrard Davis yet?
    **************************************
    Yes, but we traded Carroo, and next years 3rd and 4th to move up to #16 to get him. Hope you’re f’n happy!

phelon

Typical – Get your satisfaction, the hell with everyone else, right? lol

60. dbolt48 says:

Honestly right now it feels like RD1 will be trade down and a surprise pick followed by Dietrich Wise in RD2 & Anzalone in RD3. Definitely not my preference.

61. dbolt48 says:

Mike,
    Melo better go get himself another max contract because he’s going to be paying his ex & a stripper😂

As long as he’s not on the Knicks, I don’t really care what he does. Like I said, I don’t hate him, I just hate him on the Knicks.

• dbolt48 says:

I hold him & Dolan personally responsible for the start of the Knicks so I have a very strong disdain for him.

D-Bolt

Are you going to the draft? It’s in Philly, right? Are they doing it outside?

Trade back would be for Lawson then trade up for Davis.

Both guaranteed to bite as pups.

Mike the war rooms are at each team headquarters they’ll likely have a covered area where the on site phone is for each team.

Good article GD. LOL

Gase on an advantage on this year versus last…..makes you think he plans on building an actual team. Also explains why we have concentrated on keeping our own with an emphasis far more on what the guy is like other than those three hours each week when we are watching.
    ————–

“When you have guys that have already been here, they can guide the guys that are new. And just understanding how we like to do things, from every aspect, between meetings, and training, and when we get on the field, how we like to do things at practice. Just being able to have guys that can show them this is how we like to do it. And this is something we’re probably going to emphasize.”

Yeah I think that’s a big part of building a good program and a better team.

I saw this interview with Congemi. I really think coach has us on a winning path. Even if he sounds like and says everything any coach says it’s how his guys respond that is the difference.

You and I played for for free (even if me in rugby)…..the pure joy of doing it. So did these guys at one point, and still do in some respect even if it is now their whole life. How many players have you heard say “understand the NFL is just a business” as they move on or think about doing so?

No the business can’t be taken out of it, but what better ad could we put out than being the NFL team that will “make you feel like you are playing in college again”?

Mike don’t worry they have redundancy plan after redundancy plan and the weather is controlled by Haarp so it will be perfect (unless they don’t want it to be).
    It’s all good.

Speaking of Haarp, we need rain bad

I do like that they’re moving the NFL Draft around to different cities. That’s a smart move. Why go to one place every year, mix it up.

MY 2017 Draft, DF7

Running down DEs: Branch and Hayes
    Passing down DEs: Wake and Takkarist McKinley
    DT rotation: Suh, Phillips, Eddie Vanderdoes
    Starting LBs: Kiko, Timmons, Blair Brown

Imagine trying to run against these guys. Imagine these guys pinning their ears back. Imagine trying to pass on Kiko, Timmons, and Brown.

Now imagine our DBs with Maxwell, Howard, Reshad, and Allen behind these guys. On paper, this could be a top-5 Defense.

71. dbolt48 says:

Mike,
    I love the draft, but not traveling to Philly to watch it. Being cautious w/ my vacation days etc. as I’m hitting Disney w/ the family in August for 2wks.

There is only one player in the draft would not complain if we put in a bunch to trade up (not talking two or three slots).

“One NFL team charted Howard with a mere three drops over the past two seasons combined, against 83 receptions over that period.”

“Takes a pro’s approach to the game. Never missed a game at Bama and never lost a fumble in his career. Clean medical history.”

I agree. If hes your guy, go up and get him, but none of this Julio Jones compensation.

Pretty sure Gase would not go for that, might be different if he thought we had a chance to win the ring next year.

Howard is undoubtedly a great talent. However, I can’t see us drafting him when we need to protect the ‘Hill’, we lack speed off the edges on D (except for an aging Wake), and our LB corps needs to be addressed (Timmons is a stop-gap, and Misi isn’t the answer).

Someone is going to get a STUD in Howard, though.

I would not be surprised if goes top 10.

When you say “they”, do you mean the Jets fans, or the Jets brass themselves, or both? lol

M

How about you, any plans to try and make the draft in Philly?

If I were a draft prospect I’d don Tunsil’s mask right before the stej picked. Right on TV.

78. dbolt48 says:

I’m cynical, but no chance I’d trade up for Foster….I’ve grown less impressed with him as the offseason has progressed, but once again it’s just my opinion.

I could see us trading up for Barnett too.

• dbolt48 says:

Barnett is someone I can see them moving for if he’s within reasonable striking distance…..within 3-4 spots.

• dbolt48 says:

In all honesty I don’t think they trade up for anyone outside of Reddick, Hooker, or Adams if they somehow fall.

mf13ss says:
    Howard is undoubtedly a great talent. However, I can’t see us drafting him when we need to protect the ‘Hill’, we lack speed off the edges on D…and our LB corps needs to be addressed…
    ——————
    That’s just next year though. Have the feeling Gase is thinking about building the team that can compete year after year. Days of the save the next season savior are gone. Building the house the right way.

That’s fair and I hear ya, Stanger. OJ Howard would be a “winning selection”… even if I wouldn’t do it myself. As always, it’s only my opinion.

Look at it this way……if you ran the Pats, would you trade Gronk for Howard on draft day? Age and contract cost come into play and OJ will probably never be Gronk, but I would in a second.

See just below! I’ve got OJ Howard on my radar as a “winning selection”, and have for some time.

You didn’t answer the question though. 🙂

39 for the Phins in the 2017 NFL Draft (NOT ordered: no particular order)

Offense
    QB: C.J. Beathard (<– assist from Prof Lou), Brad Kaaya
    RB: James Conner, T.J. Logan
    TE: Jake Butt , O.J. Howard, David Njoku, Bucky Hodges
    O-Line: Cam Robinson, Dion Dawkins , Pat Elflein, Nico Siragusa, Jordan Morgan, Jon Toth, Dan Feeney

Defense
    DE: Derek Barnett, Carl Lawson (<– beware his injury history), Jordan Willis, DeMarcus Walker, Daeshon Hall, Josh Carraway
    DT: Chris Wormley , Ryan Glasgow, Eddie Vanderdoes , Jeremiah Ledbetter
    LB: Takkarist McKinley, Haason Reddick , Devonte Fields, Reuben Foster, Jarrad Davis, Blair Brown , Eric Wilson, Samson Ebukam
    DB: Desmond King , Kevin King, Fabian Moreau, Malik Hooker, Fish Smithson, Obi Melifonwu

Notes
    — I do NOT advocate taking some of these players in the 1st Round (re: Howard, Njoku, Robinson, etc), but they would be winning selections
    — I do NOT advocate replacing Tannehill, but the idea is to draft a QB every year until we find someone to develop into a stud who can push/backup Tanny and/or trade for a high-level Draft pick… Matt Moore is not forever
    — My “man crushes” are in bold print

Additional note…

I’ve got Takk listed as a LB. HOWEVER, IF we double-down with another LB (say Blair Brown), I could see Takk becoming a DE for us.

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet
    Players who should go much higher than expected: #Ashland TE Adam Sheehan, #Iowa QB CJ Beathard, #UConn S Obi Melifonwu, #UF LB Jarrad Davis

Rigel Spikes‏ @MF13SS · 35s35 seconds ago
      Rigel Spikes Retweeted Ian Rapoport

Add #Ohio LB Blair Brown to that list.

I heard Mike Francesa today say he’s now hearing rumors and he does have connections with people in the biz, that now 3 QBs could go top 10 and some teams could be looking to trade up as high as #1 for Patrick Mahomes II. Also there are some RBs and TEs that will go 1st rd so the draft could be balancing out with more offense than originally thought which would be great for us.

It’s crazy how the closer you get to the draft, the boards change and teams are always looking for QBs. LOL

They seem to always talk themselves into it. It’s like being single in a bar. At 9 you say no to the butter face but at 1:30 you’re buying her a drink.

I heard Francesa say yesterday that McCaffrey Leonard and Cook all might go top 10. That seems a little much to me. Maybe Fournette, but I’d say that’s it.

I read that a team in the middle of the 1st told McCaffrey if he’s there they will take him so that’s why he called off visiting anymore teams. The rumored teams are the Colts and Broncos.

Philly Tim. That’s a retarded way of putting all your eggs in one basket by him.

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet
    Here we go: #Patriots extended an RFA offer sheet to #Bills RB Mike Gillislee. It’s for 2 years, $6.4M, source said. $4M in the 1st year.

McCaffery would be a great fit for us if we somehow got him. If they traded up for him I wouldn’t mind.

Son,

Speaking of RBs, how happy are you that Storm Johnson is with us?!!

Gase praised both Storm Johnson and Senorise Perry for their work on the PS last year.

Storm is a UCF product (just down the road from Son, if ya didn’t already know). I hope we also draft UCF’s CB Shaquill Griffin.

Yeah I do know that. We did have Shaquill Griffin in for a visit.

Omg I forgot all about us getting Storm. We do have a UCFer. He was great here I hope he finds his way with us.
    Griffin would be a nice add should we get him.

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan was seen having lunch with Kaepernick. What’s the saying, when you have 2 or 3 QBs competing you don’t have one. I guess Maccagnan thinks maybe 4 will do the trick. LOL

I still don’t know what’s up with Dri Archer, but can y’all imagine him on our team as an OW (Offensive Weapon)? Nice hands, furious speed, dangerously elusive, CHUNK-YARD producer, and POSITIONAL VERSATILE in the Gase Offense. Only thing he can’t do is block well… which is why the Stealers* NEVER should have tried to convert him into an exclusive RB (pass-protection failure).

Line up Dri as a RB, then flex him into the slot via audible… and vice-versa. NIGHTMARE to account for on passing downs. TJ Logan of UNC has the same traits, IMO.

On that post about 3 QBs going top 10

I’m always amazed to hear QBs rise so the weeks before the draft
    But I expect almost every year

Mahomes is also a guy I mentioned in the “here comes the combine. It’s gonna kill your dreams!” Post as the qb who can change the dynamic of the draft by pushing to an early pick

So that’s sounds good for us right?

Nope – not pig world
    Where it will never happen
    why?
    Look at this pic!

Mike, I remember when Kaep was in the draft and I kept posting pics (links back then) of him side by side with Leftwich and it used to piss you off so bad.

Son, I think Deshaun Watson is going to be good at some point.

The team is currently using the phrase “Zero In” as a rallying call to start off season workouts. It’s on t-shirts with 0-0 on the sleeve.

I think the QB’s are taught to do that with their hand. It looks very strange to me.

96. dbolt48 says:

Mahomes looks like a mentally challenged Wes Welker ogre.

Piggy, I remember back in 2004 in January, Phillip Rivers was a 3rd rd pick and by April he was top 10 and went #4 to the Giants followed by the Eli trade etc.

Kaep was a 5th RD pick, and he ended up going pick #36

Yeah the premium on QBs is crazy when you get closer to the draft. If you don’t have one you have to go through the recycling bin so why not take a chance if the guy has skills.

Tannehill was a 3rd in January.

…and a turd in September. jk jbb

I don’t remember that but I do remember he entered the picture at some point as a 1st rd option. I didn’t know much about him until late in the game. I do remember hearing Mike Shanahan liked him better than RGIII and he was right. 🙂

I think he became a serious contender as a the 3rd guy after rg3 and luck early the year he was drafted

I think Steve is right though
        At some point early he wasn’t

• dbolt48 says:

Was a late 1 early 2 projection coming into his final year.

• dbolt48 says:

Foles was in the same category going into that season.

Pat Mahomes

Inside look at stej war room

So just for the health record
    It wasn’t food poisoning
    Nowhere near it

It was a sinus infection
    And it was horrible through part of yesterday
    Probably the worse during the weekend

I went to the doctor yesterday and had a 102 temp
    And I’m sure it was worse than that we re the weekend but I don’t keep a thermometer in my apat

Today is probably the first day I haven’t had a fever for Few days

I basically just ate my first meal (I managed to nibble on a few things here and there) since Thursday you consider yogurt and applesauce a meal – which I don’t but it’s basically all I can eat

I don’t know if that is the norm for a sinus infection
    But I think it’s probably in part to me not identifying it early or seeing a doctor sooner that it was so bad

If my head clears up and I stop being so dizzy I will probably go back to my office tomorrow maybe Thursday so looks like it will get better
    Until then I’m working from home

Anyone ever had a sinus infection – and was it ever that bad?
    I never thought of that thing as so bad
    This thing was brutal

• dbolt48 says:

Yes….plenty of times. Eventually when my smell & taste became distorted I had to go to ENT and that’s when I was informed I needed turbinate reduction surgery. Sucked ass as I was constantly dizzy & nauseous.

It’s my first time

I’m still a little dizzy and occasional nauseous but the crazy fever I had is gone
        And I actually slept last night so that is a relief

I had no idea it was like that never experiencing it
        It sounds mundane in its name and it’s a fucking evil beast
        I could have easily went to the emergency room over the weekend but I hate that place…lol

Oh man just heard this watching a Congemi and Madison video. Todd Heap accidentally hit his 3 year old daughter with his truck and she died. I can’t imagine what he’s going through. So sad. Geez!

Glad you’re doing better Piggs

In other news….bad day to be a Pirates fan.

“Pittsburgh Pirates All-Star outfielder Starling Marte has been suspended 80 games after testing positive for Nandrolone, a performance-enhancing substance.”

It’s almost impossible to replace your top players unless you find a gem. All teams go through it.

Piggy

You don’t know the difference between your nose and your ass?

Just saw the Todd Heap story. Oh man, I’m not sure how you recover from that. Tragic as can be.

I’d be gone. It would eat me alive forever as long as that lasted. I hope Todd can be okay though. Ugh…

Me too Tim. You never really recover from something like this, you just move on with whatever is left of your mind and soul.

Mike, I’d be like that if I did that to a pet never mind my child. This story made me ill today. I feel so bad for him and his family. This likely happens more than we know, we just don’t hear about it. Really sad stuff.

109. drg says:

That’s great news if some of the QBs and RBs are shooting up the draft. More defensive options for us and maybe a trade down option.

Let’s throw in 3 QBs, the RBs and TEs before we pick along with this ranking as an example. Plenty of defense for us in the 1st rd.

Don’t forget the wideouts! Hoping John Ross squeezes in before us.

No I’m saying add the extra QBs to this list. Ross is already #19 and the RBs and TEs are there already as well. Defense is going to be quite deep into the 2nd rd.

He’s not universally rated that high. I think he’s a reach before us, but I hope it happens anyway

Ross has been teens and 20’s even before he ran his record breaking 40. I was not aware of it at that the time because I was not focused on WRs but he’s been there for months.

111. drg says:

I try my best to avoid trashing Tannenbaum on this board. Don’t tempt me with the trade up talk, lol.

It’s about good players man, not a bunch of projects. We have too many vets and prime players on this team to keep f’n around. Just get better as a team and keep trying to win. So far Tannenbaum has not blown up the cap. Trading on draft day doesn’t bother me and just because Jordan was a bust doesn’t mean it will always be like that. 🙂

So do you think we’ll play Davis as the Will or put him at Mike and kick Timmins out?

I think Alonso and Timmons are the read and react inside the box LBs with someone else manning the LOS and moving from weak to strong based on formations. Like Misi, Hewiitt and a rookie. They can also play in the box at times.

Davis will play outside as long as Timmons is here. That’ll be fine.

Timmons is here to feast off the incredible play of Mr Suh. It should be a lot of fun to watch.
    Prediction : Pain

The center of our Defense is Suh, Timmons and Reshad Jones. That’s as good as it gets.

Carolina with Short and Keuchly but my mom at safety…

Suh is here, everything is different now

You can say Gase but likely no Suh no Gase

Everything is different now

Suh is here

Suh and Wake can decide it’s time and leave all doubt behind. Those two drive the train.

Tannenbaums Mona Lisa

Don’t forget Grier and Gase too. They’re a big part of the process. They’re building togedder

I was speaking specifically about the Suh deal. He pushed Hickey aside on that one. Hit his stride since.

I think Gase is here, everything is different now. He created an accountability and stability factor. 🙂

Aaron Hernandez killed his damned self in jail.

And right about now Aaron Hernandez should be entering Hell

• Rhino says:

My first thought… ‘one less evil person in the world’. A murderer to the end (couldn’t resist the opportunity to kill again, even if it was himself)… joking of course… but I don’t find myself with any empathy. Perhaps he made a deal to reveal Bill’s secret book of cheating but the Patriot’s Opus Dei got to him first.

That’s a tragedy

Why? I agree with Rhino.

Its a tragedy for the same reason anyone taking their own life because they are in a place where they feel its their only way out is. Im not defending what he did, and in the sense of karma its probably fitting, but i dont see how anyone for could be happy for that outcome. The family of Lloyd maybe, id give that a pass, but overall, i just cant see being happy about it.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 9m9 minutes ago
    #Dolphins continue to visit with top defenders, hosting #Clemson CB Cordrea Tankersley today, source said. Could have 7+ CBs in the 1st rd

Looks like Aaron Hernandez finally killed the right guy.

Far as I am concerned he was lucky that ending his life was his choice.

I consider it a sad thing, despite the fact i think he was indeed guilty and justice should find him, still im sad for the waste of a human being, and its sad to know anyone has found themselves in a place where thats the only alternative they see.

Mike Pouncey on Instagram…… does make you wonder if he is a Gase kinda guy.

“To my friend my brother! Through thick and thin right or wrong we never left each other’s side. Today my heart hurts as I got the worse news I could have imagined.”

Dont know how that would not make him a Gase guy. Gase is about him being a pro on the field, having a friend who did something bad, but sticking by them as a friend doesnt really show a character flaw. If you had a person you loved, and they did something very bad you wouldnt just bail on loving them. He isnt saying he feels like Hernandez was right for killing Llyod, he just says he loves and will miss his friend.

I think a lot of you look too hard at Pouncey for things that arent him acting like Hernandez, just that he supported his firend, i mean hell he probably never accepted the belief he was guilty. People close to others do that all the time, and live in denial to facts, sometimes their whole lives

You are right that Gase values loyalty, so make that to me. And you might be right about denial, but still a smart message to send out to the world. Somemthing along the lines of “So saddened…..I saw the good that was within Aaron.”

Grief doesn’t come with a editor…. just sayin.

You can count me among the ones that does feel empathy, i cant help it. He has children, and people that love him, he did evil stuff, and i believe ultimate judgement is coming, but i cannot help but feel empathy for a life lost, a life wasted, and those that are dealing with it, be it friends or family.

Feel bad for all the lives he screwed up too…..just not for him. Even if buy into the last not guilty verdict. He killed a good friend in cold blood, got away with shooting one of his best friend, and at best tried to cover up the killings of two guys over a spilled drink at a bar.

128. Rhino says:

I forget who posted the draft picks coming from Private Visits essentially being 100% until the Tunsil gift wrapped surprise!… but with that premise…

17 Private Visits so far
    3 Offense (1 OL, 2 TE)
    14 Defense (2 DE, 5 LB, 3 CB, 4 S)

Under this trend, I’d be shocked if we take an offensive player in round one unless there’s another “Tunsil suprise”. Is Lamp being available at #22 a big enough of a surprise to not go LB or DB?

We are also clearly preparing to add at least one DB in one way or another… gotta give the front 7 time to do their job on the QB.

I’d be shocked if the draft was not a whole bunch of D and a G or two, but all bets are off for me in the first round. And no surprise at least if Lamp is there and he would be the far safest choice…..not that that means they go with it.

I posted it. first 4 rounds have a pretty high percentage of coming from some sort of private visit/workout out of the past 5 years as data i could get to compare. Patterns are always flexible but they give you a good look into some things like whether or not a team uses a private visit to smokescreen of if they legitimately use it to find the right guy. We apparently are pretty secrative about who visits, and the team never announces the visits, reporter just catch wind of it through other channels so they seem to treat them as visits for the purpose of finding “their guy” IMO.

Eh, it’s hard for me to feel really bad for Hernandez. He embraced the thug lifestyle, and this is the kind of thing that comes with it. I don’t feel any worse for him than any other murderer, maybe less in some ways. He had everything in front of him, he made really bad choices.

Yahoo sports is rarely a place to go for good writing, but this piece on Hernandez at the last trial and why he possibly did what he did is an exception.

Apparently by Mass law, a person who still had appeals available that dies, has their conviction vacated.

Now as much as i empathize with what happened, i totally disagree with that rule. IMO if you are guilty when you die, it should remain on record that way or at the very least suicide should not qualify you for that option..

What’s the point with letting the appeal of a dead person proceed

What if He wins, do they release his spirit?

Preserving an appeal like that is A huge waste of tax payer money for something without any real world effect

I feel empathy for his children. They didn’t get to choose who their daddy was. His gf/wife, whichever it was, probably knew what he was so it comes with the territory. I feel empathy for his victims and their families. I’m glad he won’t have the opportunity to add to the body count. If that makes me a bad person so be it.

Herd i definitely was ot calling you a bad person, im pretty much right with ya, though i do in some ways feel bad knowing that someone got so low that they turned to suicide to “fix” things. I have a particular history regarding suicide that probably makes me feel this way, but i see it as a tragedy more so than a vindication.

April 19, 2017 at 11:44 am

———————————-
    Yeah i dont feel any better or worse for him in regards to the life he chose, nor the conviction he received, and it doesnt change my opinion of guilt or innocence and what he deserved for doing the crime. Still i do feel bad for the situation and in particular, family and friends. If i was in Pouncey’s shoes id be pretty heartbroken as well.

April 19, 2017 at 12:06 pm

What’s the point with letting the appeal of a dead person proceed

What if He wins, do they release his spirit?

——————————————-
    Not letting an appeal proceed Piggy, they overturn the conviction because there were still appeals available. I guess its in the vein of they may have had their conviction overturned in one of those appeals, therefore they just throw out the conviction as a worst/best case scenario kind of thing. Again, thats something i find to be a kind of stupid rule.

April 19, 2017 at 11:59 am

—————————————————————
    See thisis kinda what im saying, to me this is a very tragic story and very sad.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

If he was gonna kill himself why spend so much money on attorneys etc… for his last double murder trial. He should have killed himself sooner and left his money for his daughter. He was selfish IMO.

Thats exactly what im saying is, i dont think he planned to, i think he got to the point where his life just wasnt worth living anymore.

My guess is it was the final straw in an ego-fed life meeting reality. He was tony montana who no one even cared about and without the dramatic ending chance. Only possible difference would be if the vacation of his sentence in some way saved his NFL pension for his daughter and only became possible once he got off in the drive-by shooting trial. That pure speculation, even if we learned from OJ that pensions are immune from wrongful death suits.

That’s a comedy.

lol — exactly how my wife looks when she works out…..in full make-up and after she does her hair like a big night out on the town.

Chris Perkins‏Verified account @chrisperk 20m20 minutes ago
    Grier said they want guys who are tough, competitive & luv football at DE. Added this draft has all shapes & sizes.

Armando Salguero‏Verified account @ArmandoSalguero 16m16 minutes ago
    Tannenbaum says saying this going to be a defense intense draft for the Dolphins is not right. “We don’t know what’s going to happen.”

I mean he is right, people get locked in to what they expect, but the team is the only one that knows what players they have ranked where and even they dont know what players will be there when they pick, so its not like you can “plan” a draft, you just have to have options (including trade options) that let you roll with whatever IS there.

Lol Wyoming when i saw that post above, i couldnt help thinking its some sorta role playing thing.

Armando Salguero‏Verified account @ArmandoSalguero 17m17 minutes ago
    Chris Grier says you get in trouble when you start drafting for need. He’s going to stick to the board.

I mean the board comes from prospects they like which indirectly is influenced by team needs, but i agree with what he is saying, going in with a board to follow and then overthinking it by altering your decisions because you think you need one thing more than another just kinda fucks up all the preperation you have done for months.

People like Landry coulda played a number of position on the field, they just have the right attitude about being excellent.

Round 1 (No. 22 overall): Florida LB Jarrad Davis

Round 2 (No. 54 overall): Colorado CB Chidobe Awuzie

Round 3 (No. 97 overall): USC G Zach Banner

We have a lot of needs so drafting for need would actually work.

I would say that we have lots of wants……sorta how they set us up. And that comes with great flexibility.

• sb7mvp says:

Our needs didn’t change simply because we went to rent a center. They are still the same. OG, TE, LB, DE, S, CB, and backup DT. Maybe RT if James isn’t in future plans.

The Browns and Jets have a lot of needs

What would be your #1 choice as to who would actually crash a white house press briefing?

SB7, we don’t need a TE or even a CB or S. We may want to add to it, but it’s not really a need. We have guys we can play the game with at those positions. We don’t even need a starter on the DL, we’re looking for depth. A need to me is a glaring void as in we don’t have anyone good enough to start.

Correct, we have no needs😉

Are you being a wise guy? LOL

You could say we need another guard because we don’t have a stud on either side. The same at LB, most don’t feel anyone outside of Alonso and Timmons are starter quality and because Misi never stays heathy.

Based on what you wrote, we have no needs. Where do you see a glaring void?

• sb7mvp says:

If you’re trying to build a perennial contender, they are needs. Just because we signed a guy doesn’t mean the hole was properly filled. You still need to draft like that guy isn’t there for depth, competition or possible starter just in case that guy doesn’t work out.. We only have a few locks on our roster. Everyone else is on notice. A need doesn’t mean a hole.

^ Especially Allen who IMO, was just a filler until they find someone better, evidenced by the somewhat desperate signing of a 1 YR contract for a safety (T.J. McDonald) who we know will miss a minimum of 8 games. Couldn’t agree more, it’s just slapping a couple of band aids on a good bleeder.

If you’re trying to build a perennial contender, you draft BPA always. If we have as many needs as you say we do, it should be no problem. You basically mentioned every position besides QB, RB and WR.

Of course you’re always looking for upgrades and depth with upside. I consider what you’re saying as wants. We want a young pass rusher to develop behind Wake. We want a young LB who can be an impact player for years to come. We want a starting guard we can pencil in for at least the next 4-5 years. But isn’t that the way it is every year for all teams at various positions?

My point is I don’t see such a void that we can’t go play right now. I’m not saying we are a juggernaut, but we can be a good team with what we have already. Of course you always want to get better.

So that said, I think there are enough positions we’d like to stock up on that we can go BPA very easily.

Herd

Been thinking about you lately – Glad to see you back on here. Hope all is well, and things are looking up for you! Cheers!

Mike, why can’t we go safety next year? Not sure what the panic is there right now?

Steve, I don’t see any glaring voids. We’re looking to upgrade. An example would be a team that played 3 different guys at LT and none of them were any good. They “need” a LT. I don’t think anyone stinks so bad that we must address this position or we’re doomed.

Needs — none needed
    Wants — plenty
    Upgrades — possible almost everywhere
    Depth — always needed
    No need — one slot at DT (Suh), DE (Branch…even as #3 DE), LB (Alonso), S (Landry), T (Tunsil), RB (Ajayi), WR (Stills)….an argument could be made for say Parker and maybe Tanny, but you get the idea.

^ “S (Jones)”

No need goes deeper than that in my view. Can you field the position with a competitive player? The list is larger than the one you mentioned for me. But it’s just my opinion. 🙂

Was really just pointing out that need is a most relative term more than anything. We all know the team “needs” and “wants” better players, but other than that pure semantics unless you are talking in old-school mock draft categories.

April 19, 2017 at 4:34 pm

———————————–
    I dont see that there is any more or less of a panic at any position this year, maybe OG and DE have a little more pressure to go early this year because waiting might mean we are under the gun in 2018. Like TBaum was saying though, we should be taking whomever is top of our list, if its a S then thats who it is, if its a DE, then thats who it is. Any manipulation of that means we are trying to force the issue and we probably will second guess ourselves out of the better pick. We are really in a position this year to truly take BPA and it make about the same difference no matter what position that person plays.

I really could think of several players that would make our team better and they span a lot of different positions. We just need to walk away with OUR guy, thats a simple as it gets.

I agree. I won’t be pissed if we take a S early. I just don’t think we have to have one. Take the best player that fits what we’re looking for in a player. I guess the point I’ve been trying to make is I don’t say we must draft this position by this round. I don’t believe in that for all sorts of reasons.

Its something i think we are all going to have to get use to because we havent had this luxury in past seasons. We had glaring holes and inadequacies at very specific positions and it was very important that we didnt miss on those guys. Its made us all a little nervous nelly about the draft, and caused many of us to not only anticipate the draft more than the season, but also put more value in bringing in new guys than expecting the current ones to develop. There is a lot working against us as far as being fans and being comfortable turning loose and letting the FO do their thing.

D, based on what Tannebaum, Grier and Gase say, they work together for what’s best for the franchise. There is no immature bickering going on within the org. It’s refreshing because apparently there was in the past.

You can tell, this team just has a completely different aura about it now. Im not saying we are destined for superbowls and greatness but this team in the past has just felt out of sorts with itself and i do not pick up that vibe anymore. It started really coming together around middle of last year and has just been evolving in a positive way ever since.

We have a long way to go but yeah, refreshing is probably the best way to describe how it feels

Yeah in the past there was a lack of cohesion and direction. Even Ross has admitted the culture it totally different. They targeted Gase from the get go based on his reputation and resume. There was a reason people said he’s the next big young coach. I think Phins fans are on guard for it to all blow up. I don’t think that’s going to happen.

If say Gase makes the playoffs 3 out of his 5 year deal and maybe a championship game but no Lombardi, could a change happen and possibly with a new owner? Sure, but that’s where I think this team is headed. They’ll have a chance to compete for a Lombardi. Many teams fail to achieve the ultimate greatness. It doesn’t make you a failure. Ultimately the players have to make the plays to win it. We see it every year. Big game performances.

Prisco ranks the coaches in the NFL. Bill Belichick, Mike McCarthy, Andy Reid, Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton, John Harbaugh and then……..

8. Adam Gase, Dolphins
    He is a star in the making. Gase took over the Dolphins last season and got a team hardly stacked with talent to 10-6 and into the playoffs. He has great give-and-take with his players, knowing when to push and when to pull back. He is also a great offensive mind, which you need in this league today. One more thing: He is a maniac when it comes to working, which can be seen in his preparation. A few years from now, he might top this list when Belichick retires if he can keep it going forward.

Id rank him pretty even with Payton, and probably above Carroll. What Payton did in NO probably earns him the right for consideration but i don’t think he has held that team together despite some really solid talent around him. Carroll inherited a team that was a couple pieces away from a solid team, gambled at QB and hit, but i just don’t see Carroll as being this ultimate mastermind and his shit seems to be coming unraveled. I also think it might be a little early to be putting Gase up there but just going off the change he has brought to the franchise in the little time he has been there has been a pretty remarkable turnaround.

The rest on that list are really solid coaches. A lot dont like Andy Reid but he has had his teams in the thick of things most every year he has been a coach so that does kind of say some things about him as a coach.

If we can’t or at least not yet, I would love to see Andy Reid win a Lombardi. I think he’s a great coach.

Wow number eight is impressive.
    Bazooka Joe never got out of the twenties

Schedule tomorrow

Over / under on Monday Nighters is 1

I say over

I think most look at the Draft very differently from one another and there’s nothing wrong with that. Some think that it’s to instantly boost a team (win now). Some think that it’s to rebuild. Some think it’s to replace ageing players (win tomorrow). Some think it’s to draft the BPA. Some think it’s to fill needs. Some think it’s to draft the fastest players (RIP, Al Davis). The list goes on and on…

To me, it’s a little bit of ALL of the above. You’ve got to have a vision of yesterday, now, and tomorrow. Contracts (current and future versus production) play a HUGE part in this. Injuries play a large part. Age plays a large part. System fit plays a large part. Intangibles/character play a large part. Your division rivals play a large part. And this list goes on and on…

JMO, but I think it’s very important we draft a DE, a LB, and an O-Lineman within our first 3 Rounds. And in my vision, all three positions mesh with BPA, so-called “needs”, “win now”, “win in the future”, keeps our salary cap in check in the near future, adds youth to ageing positions, benefits both sides of the ball, makes players around them even better, and is WINNING.

You’ve gotta have 360 vision as a TEAM (Owner/GM/coaching/scouting/”capologizing”/proper players already in-house/UNITY/team entity) to make a Draft work long-term… short-sightedness keeps one mired in mediocrity (see our Phins over the last decade and a half).

I think we’re on the cusp of building something VERY special. There’s no need to ‘get cute’ and draft someone we DON’T need on our team. See what I did there?

We’re gonna get a really good player next Thursday there’s more good guys than picks.

I agree with you about needing to have vision when drafting. Ireland was blind and stubborn a bad combo.

All of this is true, but you also have to get lucky. We did last year with Tunsil, not saying we need to do that again, we just have to hit a few Richard Sherman’s, and Zach Thomas’, and Reshad Jones’…

You can accomplish this when things come together, like a team with a plan. When your team sucks and you get a Reshad Jones it doesn’t mean as much.

Aaron Hernandez almost survived the hanging….but after further review he didn’t get both feet down in time.

In the case of Watson rising late as a QB it is smart. He’s super talented with winning. He has winning, it’s rare.
    If I were drafting I’d have a real hard time leaving him on the board.

Or does the front office decide to kiss the bosses ass and draft Peppers and live happily ever after?
    Why not?

Perhaps surprisingly, I’m not a fan of Jabrill. My vote for the boss’ pick? CHRIS WORMLEY.

I’m torn on him mainly because I really want a front seven guy. And we really don’t need a punt returner despite him being exciting there.

My vote for the boss’s pick is McDowell….yes Gase da BOSS these days in Miami.

Go Phins! 🙂

I view Jabrill as a project player… I would not advise taking him in the 1st Round. JMO, as always.

IMPACT player for the DF7? CHRIS WORMLEY. Dude can flex between DT and DE as a rotational cat in his rookie season. VERY versatile, future STUD.

• dbolt48 says:

Honestly….I truly believe in a players mental makeup being the key to being a successful pro….I see Peppers as a Jarvis Landry on the defensive side of the ball. I truly think he won’t be denied success….immediately.

And what dbolt said is absolutely true especially with Peppers

All I can say is that I bought 4 Club level seats this year. They better fucking win a lot of games this year.

I tend to agree with DBolt about Peppers
    And it’s the one thing that makes peppers really stick out
    It’s the mentality of greatness

April 19, 2017 at 6:12 pm

8. Adam Gase, Dolphins

———————————————————————————————————
    This article gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.
    Gase is here. Everything is different now.

What was the difference in our 6-10 season vs our 10-6 season? A Suh tackle at the goal line against the 49ers, an Alonso int for a game winning TD, a Drake KO return TD, and a Tannehill wouldn’t be denied against the Rams.

The bottom line is we made plays when we had to.

Lmao

I know some think otherwise, but man, taking McDowell at #22 just makes no sense to me. Unless you’re 100% convinced he’s not a guy who turns off his motor at will, which many think he does, why would you replace a guy who’s just as talented, and bigger and stronger (Phillips), with a guy who exhibits exactly the same traits? I can’t comprehend that at all.

You’re either paying too much attention to what they’re telling you he is doing or you’re not seeing what I’m seeing, a guy that goes 100 miles an hour, a lot against a double team. Yeah he gets tired and turns if off at times, but what 6’6″ 300 LB guy do you know that doesn’t? I’m ok with Phillips in for 5 or 6 plays, then 5 or 6 plays for McDowell. I guess you’d rather have a guy that doesn’t get tired, but doesn’t make too many plays.

He can also play outside, and stop the run on early downs.

A team like the Titans or Cowboys that have run at will on us, well he can help neutralize that. At 6′ 6″ he can JJ sWatt some of Brady’s dink and dunks.

Son – Did we save for college for our little boy growing up?

Mike E, I hear ya, but lets not forget that McDowell has shown the versatility and potential to line up all over the DL and then some. Could he be what we hoped we had in Dion FF, or dare I say could he be another Jason Taylor for us?
    A guy like this is a key to having that NYG type front 7 pressure that paved the way for beating Marsha Brady, not once by fluke, but twice!!! Boom!

Go Phins!

So are we all just going to pretend that Steve didn’t say that Landry was an overachiever?

An overachiever is someone that performs above his skillet, think of Rudy being the starting QB for Notre Dame instead of an inserted scrub. Is Landry 6 4 and runs a 4.2 40? Of course he isn’t, he plays better than his combine numbers.

GDP, Steve

OR, we can just draft a DE that’s kick ass, and get a DT later in the draft, since we do have Suh and Phillips.

We can do a number of things Mike, that’s the beauty of having no real needs. A need is something you must have, we don’t have any Colonblows expected to start on the OL