4 Miserable Points about the 2017 Dolphins

Like most of you Prawny just didn’t handle the last two weeks very well.

So we had to change this week’s format based on his…eh..absence

PrawnyPan

So let’s talk about 4 miserable points!

Point I:  Adam Gase is Not Immune to Dolfan Hate

miami-dolphins-adam-gase

In his first season as Dolphins head coach, Adam Gase brought the Dolphins from the dead all the way to their first playoff birth since ’08.

So everyone loves Gase right?  NOPE!  Gase, the offensive guru (cough cough) is under fire from the media and the fans.  Shutout by the Saints after almost being shut out by the Jests is no way to get in the good graces of this fan base.

The Dolphins offense is absolutely horrible this season.  The Dolphins have only scored 25 points this season.  The offense looks bland and predictable despite quite a number of playmakers on offense.

Don’t get me wrong.  It would be silly to call for his head this early in his career but it would be just as silly to give him a pass.

Last week after losing to the Jests, Gase felt the need to get more of his talent involved.  Julius Thomas and Kenyon Drake looked like the two beneficiaries of that change.  Drake had a big run….called back for holding and finished the game with one carry.  Thomas caught an important first down catch on 3rd down.  Then, in what looked like a forced attempt to get Thomas involved, the ball was intercepted in the endzone.  Thomas finished with two catches and has been pretty much useless in 2017.

Let’s hope Adam Gase has a better solution after the Saints loss.

Point 2.  The Dolphins have an Unavoidable Controversy at QB

4QBS

This is not your Dad’s QB controversy.  This isn’t Phil Simms vs Jeff Hostetller.  This is Dolfans and the media’s endless discussion about the position.  It is impossible to be a happy about the position for Dolfans.

Part of this controversy is not the fault of the Dolphins.  As soon as Ryan Tannehill went down for the season it was inevitable.  We all know there are Tannehill loyalists and Tannehill haters – and they don’t stop arguing.  So when Tannehill went down, whomever started in his place would be compared to Tannehill.  What would Tannehill do?  Is _____ better than Tannehill?  What happens in 2018 with Tannehill?

Enter Jay Cutler.  Like a fart you tried to hold in on a date – “The Dolphins sign Jay Cutler” is the last thing you wanted to hear.  But we all hoped for the best.  We all hoped we would have a problem at QB.  A simple QB controversy like the Giants had once upon a time.

NO – that doesn’t happen to the Dolphins.  Jay Cutler has arguably been the worst player on the field the last three Sundays.  Cutler looked like a QB who should stay retired against the Saints.  If we get lucky, a comet will hit the Earth and we won’t hear a thing about our QB controversy…but we are never that lucky.

Gase seems committed to Cutler for now.  But there are murmurs of “Play Matt Moore”.  And why shouldn’t there be?  Moore wasn’t great for us last year – but he did help us get into the postseason.  And Cutler has been so bad that well…

But the controversy doesn’t end with 3 QBs for the Dolphins.  Look at that 4th guy.  Think people aren’t calling for the Dolphins to sign him?  Imagine if we do.  Imagine if we don’t and the QB play stays this bad.  The Dolphins are in the direct line of fire for the Kaepernick backlash, one way or another.

Point 3:  Special Teams…When Foot Meets Suck

0918_spo_ldn-l-chargers-35-1

What is going on with the field goal attempts against the Dolphins.  The Dolphins have benefited from several missed field goals this season. For whatever reason – there have been a on of missed field goals in three games.

Here is why that drives me crazy:  The gods will rob us of a missed field goal when it really means something.  I’m superstitious.  If you are too, you know, all the missed field goals we will get in 2017 have been used.

Oh…and don’t get me started about the punting game.  Matt Haack hasn’t been great this season and he is on pace for 85 punts.  Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Point 4:  Hope is for Suckers

Dolphins trio

It’s really not that dire right now.  And how do I know this?  By focusing on some meaningless stats of course!

Jarvis Landry is on pace to catch more than 130 passes this year.  DeVante Parker is on pace for over 90 and over 1200 yards.  Kenny Stills is on pace for close to 50 catches and over 500 yards.  There aren’t a lot of NFL teams that get that much production out of their receivers, but we do…and we get a grand total of 25 points in 3 games out of it…WTF!

Add Jay Ajayi to that mix.   He is on pace for just under 1,000 yards – but I find it hard to believe, barring injury, he won’t have more than 1000 yards.  I don’t think there are a of NFL teams getting that much production from four players on offense.  Inexplicably, it means nothing in terms of scoring.  Do you have hope about the 2017 season now?

2017-AFC-East-Predictions-NFL-Football-Gambling-Odds-600x337

Think about this:  The Dolphins, Patriots and Jests all have 2 losses each.  The Bills are in first place at 3-1.  Do you think the Bills will finish over .500.  I don’t.  I expect the Bills and Jests to have some low points in 2017 when it’s said and done.  So naturally,  this gives me hope about the 2017 Dolphins.  And hope is for suckers when you are a Dolfan!

So bring on The Titans.  I’m so excited!

663 Responses to 4 Miserable Points about the 2017 Dolphins

Phelon

Just because there isn’t a law against something, doesn’t mean it’s right. To be honest, I couldn’t give a flying fuck why you want that gun, or anyone else does for that matter, I just don’t think anyone needs it. I get you think that’s wrong, well we appear to disagree on that little brother, sorry man. I don’t think I’m an elitist, or a big brother, and I don’t even believe that you think I am either, but it sounds good for the argument.

• pheloniusphish says:

I don’t think you are either, but just as you couldn’t give a flying fuck why i might want that gun, i couldn’t give one about whether you or anyone else thinks I need it.

That’s fair. Just remember, not too long ago, it was legal to make a black person sit in the back of a bus, or to refuse them service at your business. It was legal, but it sure as hell wasn’t right.

BTW – Do you really have a weapon like that? Do you go out and bet your friends how many shots it will take to completely obliterate a watermelon or something like that? 🙂

2. drg says:

Been a gun owner my entire life, but I certainly see the folly of it all. Maybe I’m just getting old and soft, but the idea of banning guns does not seem ridiculous to me anymore. Other than personal enjoyment, every argument I hear about the necessity of guns doesn’t resonate with me at all.

It would be nice to at least be able to expect a rational and intelligent conversation about the issue from our leaders, but yeah….

3. naplesfan2010 says:

Why do some people desperately want everybody to have plenty of guns?

October 3, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Partly true. It’s not just one isolated incident, there have been others, and I felt the same way then. There should be laws restricting the capacity of ammunition a gun can carry, and definitely how quickly it can disperse that ammunition. I don’t think you could possibly convince me why a civilian would need that. Remember not too long ago there was a shooting in a movie theater? Same kind of thing, and I said the same thing then.
    ———————————————
    Mike there were limits up until 1994. They were limited to no more than 10 rounds. Some states still limit it. It would help some, but its not going to help a person motivated to do bad.

The Colorado Theater shooting, he had multiple weapons, not so much large capacity clips, so while it does make it harder they still can do it.

Also there are items you can get illegally, to modify your leagal weapon to have a drum magazine, which is like those old school Tommy guns. The regulation on the legal purchases aren’t the problem, its the illegal modification that cannot be regulated that make them capable of what happened in Vegas.

incidentally i think the guy from the theater shootings used shotguns, and they have limits on the number of rounds, unless like i mentioned above they have some sort of drum magazine modification.

5. naplesfan2010 says:

TOP 5 GRADES:
    S Reshad Jones, 81.4 overall grade

WR DeVante Parker, 81.4 overall grade

T Laremy Tunsil, 81.3 overall grade

LB Lawrence Timmons, 80.7 overall grade

Edge Charles Harris, 80.5 overall grade

6. naplesfan2010 says:

PFF — PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
    T LAREMY TUNSIL, 81.3 OVERALL GRADE
    After a shaky start to the season at left tackle, Tunsil was one of the Dolphins’ better performers against the Saints, benefitting somewhat from only seeing Cam Jordan on his side of the field once all game but holding up well regardless. Tunsil impressed in run and pass alike surrendering only one hurry (in garbage time) and creating running room with some strong blocks on Sheldon Rankins in particular.

I was saying that yesterday. Tunsil played much better. I think he is settling in, but he had the easier day. James had an ok score, given who he was up against. Jordan is no joke, he has power moves, speed moves and is as big as an OT, so he would wear a guy out.

7. Jahndoh30 says:

Yeah, the car analogy is off Randy. It’s a straw man argument. The question isn’t “how do we stop all death” it’s “how do we curb or stop gun deaths”.
    ____________________________________________________
    Jahn,

I’m not talking gun deaths, just the mass shootings. I am for stricter gun control laws because I do believe we can curb some of the gun violence in our nation and bring those numbers down. I just don’t think any regulations we create can stop a single person from creating havoc if they are intelligent, capable, and willing to take it the distance.

Cav, I strongly agree with your last sentence. I just think you have to try SOMETHING in an effort to see if it can do anything. It IS a slippery slope when you start encumbering constitutional rights, but none of our rights are absolute afterall.

To dovetail this post with Randy’s above, you could reference the 1st amendment and note that yelling “fire” in a crowded place is NOT protected. They didn’t outlaw speaking, they just addressed an evil use of speech and encumbered that use. That right is not absolute, and it’s encumbrance in this case is designed to protect human life.

8. naplesfan2010 says:

per PFF
    QB JAY CUTLER, 50.5 OVERALL GRADE
    Cutler was pressured on 50.0 percent of his dropbacks against the Saints and more often than not he wilted under that pressure. Sacked four times he threw his lone interception on one of his dropbacks under pressure and put up a passer rating of only 43.1 under pressure.

9. naplesfan2010 says:

EDGE CHARLES HARRIS, 80.5 OVERALL GRADE
    Harris played a season-high 35 snaps and rushed the passer on 23 of those 35 snaps, playing to his strengths in the process. Harris notched a season-high three pressures. He grabbed two hurries as he had in each of his first two games but also grabbed his first hit in the NFL, which ultimately took Zach Strief out of the game, also drawing a hold from fellow rookie Ryan Ramczyk midway through the second quarter.

per PFF

10. naplesfan2010 says:

LB LAWRENCE TIMMONS, 80.7 OVERALL GRADE
    Seeing his first action with the Dolphins, Timmons led the team with four defensive stops doing his best work coming down hill against the run and rushing the passer (two hurries). The former-Steelers missed a tackle on Alvin Kamara in space in the first quarter but there after was in more comfortable surroundings making the plays around the box to keep the Dolphins in the game even if they never looked like capitalising and jumping back into the contest.

from PFF

11. naplesfan2010 says:

Why does living in America make people so violent, so ready to lash out in anger, so full of hate?

Sorry guys

I never agree with the argument that says “once we do this then where does it lead”
    You can make this argument for literally any law there is.
    One law does not lead to another – you can use your judgment and say “I draw the line here”
    its not some kind of human whirlpool you can’t get out of

You just decide what laws you want and decide which ones you don’t
    Agreeing to enact one law you want doesn’t mean you are stuck agreeing to laws you don’t want…lol

And as far as making comparisons with knives, hospitals, hammers or whatever – what’s the point of that analogy? I think Jahn called that a strawman argument and he’s right.. Again you can make this argument for literally anything – are we just going to have flat out anarchy bc of that argument?.

If we do it for guns then why don’t we do it for ________

You know what the difference between guns and anything else is – one is guns and we are talking about guns and not the other thing is another thing that is not a gun….lol

You can talk about a subject matter and just be talking about that subject matter. You can make a law about one thing and not be talking about making 1000 other laws. That is pragmatism over idealism.

Again, I stress pragmatism, we don’t have enough pragmatism in politics today. Everything is related to something else no one was talking about…lol

Randy, the fact they haven’t been identified as mentally ill is exactly my point. Thats the problem, we care too much about controlling the gun, to not be addressing mental health issues. You have a better chance of getting a T-Bone from a Rottweiler than to convince me they didnt dot the exclamation point on CRAZY! with their actions.

D,
    I don’t get the thoughts behind guns being made to kill people. LOTS of things were created to kill people….and lots of things that weren’t created to kill people actually kill a lot more people than guns. And, guns are used for lots of things other than killing people. Again, it was an analogy to point out that we make choices as a society. The opinion that it’s a bad comparison is irrelevant…wait…is that a word? We still allow individuals to own and operate things that kill lots of people. I’ve known plenty of people who should never operate a motor vehicle because of how they use them….but they do! Guns are the only thing that are discussed in this manner….and the argument is because they were invented to kill people? I don’t get it.

I was saying you would have to make an argument against something that doesn’t have as a by product of its use, accidental death to compare something designed to kill which has a by product of intentional death. How is that not apparent?

naplesfan2010 says:
    October 3, 2017 at 5:43 pm

—————————————
    it doesnt, have you ever acted out like that, have i, has anyone on this board….its individual crazy not true for all.

16. naplesfan2010 says:

I think we need to look at a lot of aspects of American culture that have been allowed to become more and more exaggerated, unchecked by common sense.

There is a whole genre of games called first person shooter games in which a person mows down wave after wave of people.

There are games where points are given for killing policemen.

There are games where higher scores result from “Finishing him off,” killing a person who is already wounded so badly he can no longer fight.

17. naplesfan2010 says:

There are dozens of slasher movies in which people kill innocent people in bloody mayhem, for the entertainment value.

18. naplesfan2010 says:

Do we really believe this type of thing has no effect on anyone?

“anyone” – I’m not sure about that

some people might perceive images differently than others

but many, take all these images, play violent video games, etc… and function in society without being violent. In fact, I think the vast majority of us take in all these influences without acting out violently

I think it lessesn the value of human life to some extent, but again, it doesnt set in on the sane. I have played MANY a video game, killed tons of people in first person shooters and never thought to myself…..id like to do this in real life.

19. naplesfan2010 says:

Why is road rage a thing? Who is raising their children to be cyber-bullies?
    This is the norm in America.

I think road rage is a thing because some people just make bad decisions and don’t think things through and some people are just flat out jerks and don’t care about the human next to them on the road.

I don’t think what leads to road rage is a product of our society

100 years ago – if “horse and buggy rage” was possible, it probably would have happened. But imagine how hard it is to cut people off with your horse and buggy. People were not driven to the fit of rage when they are moving so slow.

People have always made bad decisions. People have always been inhume to one another. Sometimes much worse than we are now. Google medevil torture devices and see how disgusting humans have been throughout history

D,
    I’ve worked with the seriously….and sometimes criminally…mentally ill individuals for years. So, I get a little prickly when this topic comes up and that whole group is sort of lumped together. Yes, in my mind…and in most people’s I would guess….anybody who does something like this is “crazy” or “insane”. I get that it’s just the vernacular people use, but it doesn’t really address the real issue. And, I can tell you that it has deeply offended and frightened some individuals I’ve worked with. The stigma of being identified as mentally ill is tough enough without this sort of thing making it worse for that population.
    ***
    Rant over! Lol

Im not sure how determining if a person is mentally unstable, and possible with violent tendencies and then getting them help so they wont ruin their lives over an act of insanity wouldn’t be a good thing for both them and us. Im not talking about walking around and grabbing every dude who wears bunny slippers to work into the looney bin. Im talking about monitoring for behavior that shows them going off the deep end and stepping in front of that, not to imprison them, but to help them.

21. naplesfan2010 says:

Guns were most certainly made to kill people. To say that is not true is absurd. They have no other purpose.

The first “guns” were basically portable cannons, made for war. All iterations afterwards, up to and through some of the versions of them in European history (like the blunderbuss) were also used exclusively for war. It wasn’t until they starting being modified for accuracy, instead of just being a scatter gun type of thing that they were used for hunting, and after that they were used for sport, like competitive target shooting, etc.

22. naplesfan2010 says:

So are we to say well cancer is bad but it happens, so let’s not try to find a cure or way to prevent it because licking poison frogs can also kill you.

Are Americans just giving up instead of trying to figure out how to solve a problem?

D,
    It’s about the MISUSE of an object. Lots of people misuse a car…or a knife…or a skillet…or a toaster to kill someone. They aren’t all accidents. If someone uses a gun to kill someone in today’s society, it’s a MISUSE of that item….because regardless of whether or not it was invented as a means of killing someone…it is no longer acceptable to use it in that way. Or at least we hope it’s unacceptable. Erase guns from ever having existed, and we’d still find a way to kill one another.

• naplesfan2010 says:

I’m pretty sure you could not kill 58 people from the 32nd floor with a toaster.

I said as much earlier. The guy from Vegas was planning on using explosives too. Had he instead detonated a explosive with shrapnel, he would have killed more and possibly wounded more and we wouldn’t be saying anything but, i wonder why he did that and we would be getting to a better argument. I actually have been agreeing with you all along, i just didnt like your gun to cars argument. Im sayign this is a mental health problem in America, not a gun problem.

If some one misuses a toaster on me, I feel like I have a good shot at coming out on top in that scuffle

my odds of coming out on top if some one uses a gun on me are less favorable

Doesn’t the object matter at all to the end result?

Know what the problem in America is today? Everything is being POLITICIZED!!! Gee, I wonder who’s responsible for this… HMMM…

25. naplesfan2010 says:

Why do some people desperately want everybody to have plenty of guns? What is the upside to having millions of guns readily available to everyone so they can shoot each other 24/7?

The original intention of the right to bear arms is for the protection of the US Citizens from enemies, foreign and domestic. My feeling on it is biased because i dont own guns nor feel the need to is there is not rational reason for it, BUT i also think the real question is how do we stop people from wanting to kill each other 24/7.

Randy,

remind me never to make toast with you

D,
    And who monitors this behavior? What behaviors are monitored? Who decides what is acceptable and what’s not? How would society do that in a practical sense? Again, all the studies show that individuals who are diagnosed with a serious mental illness are LESS likely to kill someone than you or me! So, who, exactly, are we monitoring, everyone, because it’s not the already identified mentally ill individuals who kill people.
    ***
    And please don’t think I’m angry or getting pissy with you. I truly am not. I think these are all valid conversations, and I’ve been having them for decades in my work. If the answers were easy, we’d have found a solution by now. The thought of our government monitoring us and making decisions about what I say on a chat board frightens the hell out of me. Oh wait….aw shit. Lol

I think that’s where the work comes in, just like slapping gun control on people and expecting it to fix it is a weak and cheap attempt at fixing the problem, i think there needs to be effort put towards coming up ith a plan to fix things properly, so we dont cause more problems than we fix and that we fix the shit that’s really broke. Id love to have an immediate answer for that, but with the state of our government right now i couldn’t think of a group amongst them i would appoint to oversee that.

Piggy,
    True…but any cop will tell you that you need to be more wary of a person with a knife than a gun if you’re confronted. Toasters….not so much. Lol

Don’t undermine a toaster with powerful spring
      having a burnt bagel fly at you at 30 mph can be deadly

29. drg says:

Jahn,

Great to see you too, my friend. Family is doing great, although my daughter in college is causing me to age exponentially.

30. naplesfan2010 says:

I believe websites that show how to modify guns that can only kill a few people at a time into those that can kill all you want to kill should be taken down.

I am also opposed to bomb-building websites, and flame-thrower websites, and poison gas websites. All of these are devices that are designed for only one reason and that is to kill as many people as possible before you shoot yourself.

Now we are getting places…..

Another option would be track people that go to those websites. I mean if you are going to take a hit on a freedom to fix a problem, why is that one so scary. Why do you need to search for building a bomb or whatnot? People wanting to mod their semi autos into fully autos, aren’t they also looking to do something illegal? People can get busted for going to a child porn site why not a bomb buliding site or one to learn how to make undetectable weapons, etc.

October 3, 2017 at 6:05 pm

my odds of coming out on top if some one uses a gun on me are less favorable

Doesn’t the object matter at all to the end result?
    ————————————–
    What about a pipe bomb?

32. naplesfan2010 says:

The original law was made because we were at war for our independence and as such had no US Army, since there was no US yet. And the Mother Country wanted to keep the US from building up an army that could challenge theirs.

Guns then could only shoot one bullet at a time.

I’m in favor of the 2nd Amendment which means an organized and trained militia man should be allowed to own a single-shot gun.

Other people also only had one shot weapons though….. Arms is Arms its there in the constitution. A clever person though would see that it doesn’t say bullets…just sayin.

I really think the 2nd amendment is more than that
      I think its an assurance that allow private citizens to protect themselves by the availability of arms should the gov’t threaten them

there are exceptions to the 2nd amendment, of course, just like there are exceptions to the 1st amendment – you can’t yell fire in a crowded theater and hide behind the 1st amendment. Likewise, the 2nd amendment does not have to be interpreted to prevent any gun regulation at all.

naples,
    Yes, guns were invented to kill combatants….actually black powder was invented, and a Chinese individual decided it would be great for use in making a handheld cannon. Point was….guns are used for a number of things besides killing people…not that they weren’t created to do so. Saying that’s the ONLY thing they’re used for is the absurd statement. The vast majority of gun owners have never killed anybody. Why? After all, that’s what the gun was made for, right? Because it’s the PERSON who decides to kill another…not the gun. But, we continue to blame “guns”.

D,
    That’s my thing. I don’t trust our government to do the right thing. I have no faith in them whatsoever.

I don’t either, but i do think that we have to try to find a group within it that could or have it private but funded by the government. There probably is no perfect scenario, but i definitely feel it would be a lot better than trying to do gun control which isnt going to make as much difference as helping people with their mental health problems. I mean i dont want to see insensitive, but whats better than that Colorado guy not killing all those people in the theater? Him not killing them and not being in jail for the rest of his life because he got help. In all the suicide killings you hear “why didnt he justtsart with himself” what if he didn’t do it at all because he got help and he would be alive and so would they.

35. naplesfan2010 says:

Besides the fact that their well-loved murder weapons enable them to make huge amounts of profits off the murder of innocent people, why are some organizations so in love with killing people?

Does it make gun rights people feel really really good to watch their minions murder country music fans?

October 3, 2017 at 6:18 pm

I’m fucked if some one uses a pipe bomb
    but those are totally illegal right?
    ——————————————–
    is metal pipe and household detergents, etc illegal? Just like the modifications on the guns he had were illegal, the pipe bomb after the guy makes it is illegal but there is no way to control him having the means to make one.

Yeah but you can prosecute him for having one

I don’t know gun technology – but I’m sure you can force the gun mfg to put fail safes in place so the weapons they make aren’t vulnerable to those modifications

You cant, they play off the design of a firing mechanism. Its illegal to mod them, like big time. Same as with the pipe bomb.

what if the firing mechanism just doesn’t go “all the way to 11” so to speak?

I was curious about what the Quran actually said a few months ago after watching a program about it’s teachings, so I googled it. I almost didn’t because I was worried that sort of thing may be monitored. It’s truly sad that my desire to simply gain knowledge may be “monitored” and then judged by someone. It freaked me out at first, but my curiousity won out in the end. So, now I’m probably on some list somewhere. Lol

naples,
    Seriously? Guns are used to hunt game. Some people simply like them and collect them. Some people go to a firing range to target shoot…shoot skeet…what have you. Others like to build them and then keep or sell them.

• naplesfan2010 says:

There is no economic or nutritional need to slaughter wildlife and watch the blood gush from quivering mammals as they die in pain. It takes a real man to shoot a menacing dove.

People practice at a gun range so they can kill other people more efficiently, first time they don’t get their way. Targets are simply symbols of human body parts.

39. drg says:

Randy,

Interesting thoughts on the mentally ill subject. There’s definitely some subjectivity in diagnosing who is or isn’t mentally ill. Sounds like you are experienced in the field so I’m interested in what you have to say. Fair or not, I do believe we need to identify those who are unhealthy and provide better ways to assist them or keep them from harming others.

As long as guns are legal, trying to legislate safety will be an almost impossible task. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. I’m convinced there are plenty of sensible ways to reduce the number of gun deaths. Unfortunately, I’m also convinced that our leaders are incapable of finding and implementing those measures.

Thats the key thing there DRG, sensible ways. Rushing to the gun control topic isnt sensible, its political, its a band aid at best. You stop and truly evaluate all of these you will find common threads and therefore ways we might improve the situation so these are less likely to happen. Everyone is using gun control as a topic point and a easy out from having to do real work and make real change. The why of that ill never understand.

40. Jahndoh30 says:

Jahn,

———————————-
    Damn, they grow fast eh? I don’t know if you remember mine from the Tennessee Atrocity Fest, but she’s a full on teenager, and will be going off to HS next year!

I already feel like I’ve missed so much and I’ve tried so hard to be present….

Piggy i mean more of a ban on owning weapons, or going by people houses and taking them from them. The constitution does protect against that. Like you said though, gun control can restrict how they are acquired, how they can be used, etc. Again, my argument isnt for or against gun control, but i do not see gun control as a factor in stopping these shootings. You want to argue a should we or shouldn’t we be allowed to control this or that about guns, those are separate arguments and do not relate to the mass shootings.

42. naplesfan2010 says:

Randy-
    I am extremely sensitive to the issue of mental health needs being kept out of street slang and out of being used as a means of disemploying people.

To me, beginning to address the hordes of maiming and murdering devices lovingly caressed by anyone with the price of a night at the cinema is a much more humane and logical first step to solving the enormous problem of gun-related violence sweeping our country from coast to coast which is preventing Americans from having any freedom to enjoy life before being slaughtered.

dry,
    Boy, that’s a big topic for a chat board. Every State is different. In Minnesota…well, I’ll just cut and paste:
    “Prohibits firearm possession by a person who: Is, or has ever been, confined to a treatment facility as a person who is mentally ill, mentally retarded or mentally ill and dangerous to the public, or who has ever been found incompetent to stand trial or not guilty by reason of mental illness, unless there is satisfactory proof that the person no longer suffers from this disability.”
    ****
    So, there are already some mechanisms in place and have been for decades. The problem is that most of these individuals have not been identified as being mentally ill until after the crime. As I was saying to D, the real issue is how to identify dangerous individuals before they do something horrible while still maintaining everyone’s personal freedoms and liberties. I’m not even sure it’s possible. It’ll take someone a lot smarter than me to figure it out.

Randy says:
    October 3, 2017 at 6:24 pm
    ——-
    You are both an intelligent and wise man, Randy. I know the Quran as well. I don’t subscribe to the Quran, but I know it, too.

If guns shouldn’t be sold to the mentally ill then no one on this blog should have one. We’re Dolphins fans. Anyone who is a fan of this team has to be certifiably CRAZY!

Maybe we should just accept that we live on a violent planet and humans are part of that violence. These gun debates are always the same. Not sure there is a real good solution. If we ban guns and someone gets a hold of them anyway (which they will) and kills a mass number of people, then what’s the solution?

47. naplesfan2010 says:

I cannot believe that the human intellect is incapable of making a safer gun. Let Apple do it. Let them make an iGun that only can kill the gun owner and anyone who attacks him or his family.

It be like “Alexa …”

I’m sure it a possible
      And I’m sure it’s more expensive
      And I’m sure hat is why gun manufacturers are in no hurry to do it

• naplesfan2010 says:

They don’t want to do it because a gun that can’t commit murder takes all the fun out of it.

The guns arent unsafe, the modifications made to them are unable to be avoided. You want to shoot a bullet, grab a hammer and a nail, and then smack the hammer against the nail into the bullet. BAM. I saw a guy who built a mini-gun that shot shotgun shells with a super simple setup. 100% made by him, so again, its not about the guns that are being purchase and designed to be safe, its about the modification they make to them that completely bypasses all that.

October 3, 2017 at 6:34 pm

what if the firing mechanism just doesn’t go “all the way to 11” so to speak?
    ————————————————
    Hmmm, the design is so simple it would be hard to change it. You would be wanting to prevent the firing cap from being struck unless the trigger got pulled again. You could also make it harder to pull the trigger, ie prevent hair triggers, which would slow down how fast you could pull the trigger. This would also offer safety perks and eliminate a accidental shooting.

So the modification im thinking would be when the trigger is pulled a protective guard come up preventing the firing pin from striking the cap until you pulled the trigger (with significant force) which disengaged the protective guard and allowed it to be fired.

You might even be able to have the pulling of the trigger move the shell back so that so the firing pin could make contact with the cap, then unless the trigger is pulled the pin cant make contact.

The problem is they would just mod the gun to remove that feature. It would be almost impossible to come up with a design that someone couldnt just find a way around.

49. drg says:

Jahn,

My prayers are with you. It is truly a roller coaster ride with daughters and we are just along for the ride. Agreed that it goes by waaaaay too fast. I’ve got one in college, high school, jr high, and grade school. Being a parent is the greatest thing in life, but also the hardest and most stressful. It’s amazing how little control we actually have.

Good chatting with you all. The Dolphins are too damn depressing to talk about right now.
    Peace!

50. naplesfan2010 says:

It’s not a ridiculous analogy.
    Some people are saying oh well that’s just the way things are, we can’t do anything about it so let’s not even try.

OK not cancer? How about polio, yellow fever, or TB. What if we had said preventing/curing those diseases is too hard…let’s just give up.

The gun violence disease is no different.

Sorry Piggy i was just thinking it out in my head how you might be able to. I mean i want to give a good argument, so im trying to think if maybe there could be some sort of control feature. I just dont see it. If guns were more complicated, maybe, but they arent. You can build one from scratch just understanding the concepts of how they work, so with that in mind how can you prevent any modification lol.

52. naplesfan2010 says:

I’m still so bummed out about losing Tom Petty.
    But I gotta say, he went out on top, right? A huge tour has to be the greatest rush for a musician
    It would be like if it happened to me while we had just beaten the patriots 69-zip.

Audi. I can’t stand the political gun-talk any longer over the course of today.

Should we now ban/burn books, as Hitler had done? If one is a historian and scientific individual as I am, you should KNOW better. For the love of this country, STOP POLITICIZING EVERYTHING.

And just as Roger Goodell is politicizing everything, the NFL is soon to go asunder.

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo 3m3 minutes ago
    More Mike Garafolo Retweeted Jonas Schwartz
    Former Jets C Nick Mangold torn on whether his career is over or not. Not healthy and – credit due here – he doesn’t want to “steal checks.”

55. naplesfan2010 says:

There is nothing political about guns. You just sorta point them in the general direction of anyone you want to murder and apply a tiny bit of strength and bam the gun does all the work for you.

EXACTLY!!! And that’s how government controls the people… through military force and guns.

Our forefathers knew this… hence #2A

• naplesfan2010 says:

or the dictator could just tell his bullies to beat up people and his 1% cronies to just fire anybody from their job who dares to criticize him. Like Stalin did.

The thing about all this is you can pass all the laws you want. Ban guns. People who want to do harm to others will find a way. They will build their own guns or a bomb or any of a long sad list to inflict their damage. Guns might make it easier but it’s not the only way. Killing people is also against the law. It doesn’t seem to be having a big impact on some folks. A person who is hell bent on this type of thing isn’t going to stop and say oh wait. This is against the law. I guess I’ll go smell the flowers instead.

No, i fully agree with you, thats why i said we should be sure to focus our energies on the right target, and do the most good by fixing the worst part of the problem. Its my opinion that that is mental health issues, but again, that might be another persons conclusion.

BE VERY CAREFUL what y’all wish for… just sayin’.

AUDI

58. naplesfan2010 says:

Give up America!
    It’s too hard to stop it now.
    We have lost our beloved country.
    No sense in actually trying to fix anything.
    Don’t even admit that we have any problems.
    So we lose a few hundred at concerts every year.
    So what. Don’t be wimps. You gonna let a little mass murder annoy you?
    People are not an endangered species.
    Whatever.

DRG and JAHN; Perhaps one or both of you are thinking about the day your teenage girls are out of high school, out of college, and on their way to a great adult life which means a LOT FEWER WORRIES AND CONCERNS FOR BOTH OF YOU!!!
    —BOY, DO I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU!!
    ———————————–
    Those days, if they ever come at all, will be very few in number. Some of your girls will get divorced, have unexpected “troubles,” then MOVE BACK IN WITH YOU for a while. Others will go out on their own and encounter “issues” you’ve never heard of or dreamed about!! They may revolt from parental concepts but, sooner or later, they’ll seek you out for the kind of help and advice only a parent (or, step parent) can provide. The quality help you’ll provide will pay GREAT DIVIDENDS later in life. But, for some time, you’ll wonder “Does this shit EVER END???” If you are a responsible parent, the answer is “no,” although there WILL BE TIMES when the shit storm diminishes quite a bit.
    ——————-
    EVERYONE faces adversity early in life, in midlife, and later in life. Most of us get knocked down in life SEVERAL TIMES. The key is getting up from adversity. I HOPE at some future FEST I CAN sit down with both of you and tell you what I’ve learned from adversity. I’m SURE we’ll have some amazing stories to share concerning the battles we have fought trying to help other family members.

But, you know, there’s a certain level of satisfaction from meeting these issues and dealing with them. YES, these troubles have cost me a few Dolphin games. And they may have set us back a bit in different ways. But we’ve never stopped helping our kids, our grand kids and our great grand kids. It is what we do.

I was making a “just give up” point as a retort to no middle ground solution because everyone is in their bunker on the issue. What’s the alternative? That shit like this can happen. Along with devastation level storms and earthquakes, serial killers, gangs, organized crime and just down right low lives who don’t give a shit about anything. We can go on and on. At the end of the day, you still have to get to the trigger finger. It’s not gun violence. It’s human violence.

Time to see if the poor little Twins can kick some mighty Yankee ass! 😃

Tim: “It’s not gun violence. It’s human violence.” So true…put that on a t-shirt!

Is it naive for me to not believe our country and military will take us over in a dictatorship type of way? I just can’t see it unless there is a devastating world war with nukes and it’s anarchy. I don’t see our mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers etc. in the military overtaking their own families and friends, and people in general. And how the hell would the people fight our military now? It’s not revolutionary times anymore.

What the fuck is going on? Why can’t I post? Sorry it looks like you already said that????? I HAVEN’T FUCKING BEEN ABLE TO POST! You must be logged in to post. I AM LOGGED IN!!!!

Oh, there you go. I lose my mind and it will post my rant. SMH.

Just reload when it says that
      make sure you are logged in

I was logged in. I can see my avi down next to the post line and in the upper right side by the bell. Something is going on….I’m not sure if Admin has a way to block individuals from posting pics or memes, but that is what I cannot post. (and I understand how to do it, with the “source” having to end in .jpg.

65. naplesfan2010 says:

“The device that made his gun a machine gun is available to buy in gun shops legally.” according to the Las Vegas police chief.

66. naplesfan2010 says:

gotta go so you guys can get back to football

Naples – You appear to be histrionic.

Dos homeruns!!!!!

69. Phindog says:

Naples,
    When some home invasion robbers kick down your door to do harm to your family I hope you have trained hard in toaster defense. People own guns to protect their family for this very reason and go to ranges to hone their skill under proper instruction. Do you think if they ban guns all the criminals are going to line up and hand their guns in ? C’Mon Man !!!

Wow, these announcers are all over the Yankees’ jocks. This win is gonna be sweet! 😛

Tie Game
    BOOM

Mike – No, I don’t have a machine gun. Wouldn’t mind having one as they are a blast to shoot, but I’m too cheap to lay out that king of cash and then wait for the ATF to approve the transfer.

son,
    I’m not a baseball guy, but I follow the Twins. Crazy first inning.

This is the first game I’m watching all year.
      Happy for Twins and ordinarily I’d root for them in this situation but not against the Yanks

Pigs – The device he used was a slide-fire. It doesn’t make it a machine gun, but it does increase the rate of fire. Although a well trained shooter could pull the trigger about as fast. The slide fire is an uncontrolled item…you can buy it online.

Are you opposed to making that illegal?

• pheloniusphish says:

Not at all. At least regulate them like any other Class 3. They were made to get around the ATF’s Rey’s. Most serious gun people have no use for them since they destroy accuracy.

• pheloniusphish says:

Regs not Rey’s. Fucking autocorrect.

That’s kind of my point about pragmatism

When you really pinpoint specific things rather than general things, a lot of people agree

Is badap, badap, badap, badap, badap, badap, badap, badap, just not as good as Bdddddddddddddddddddddddddddd…?

Phish, I know where you’re coming from and you’re a qualified person on this subject, but now people are going to be afraid to do a lot of the things that this great country provides us. What’s more important, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for the majority, or gun rights for the minority who loves them?

I heard this killer is a millionaire
    Take every bit of his money and give it to victims, victim’ family and the hospital

The whole millionaire thing is so weird. I wonder if it will come out in the next few weeks he recently found out he was terminally ill or something like that.

• pheloniusphish says:

Apparently he sent a bunch of money overseas, but they haven’t figured out to whom.

Rock, I go through that sign in every day. LOL

Awesome convo today. Varied and nuanced viewpoints, right after a horrible tragedy, and nobody lost their shit. It appears some were even savvy enough to excuse themselves to a quick timeout before getting too emotional.

Did the whole blog grow up and start adulting this year?

I think we all deserve a cookie.

Guns can be a problem, but the larger problem is some of the hands that use them. Mental illness is an afterthought in this country, and it needs to be seriously addressed on a much larger scale. There are also societal factors the make mass shootings a bigger problem here than in any other country in the world. That should be explored as well.

October 3, 2017 at 9:08 pm

That’s kind of my point about pragmatism

—————-
    Generally I would agree, but on this I disagree.

Tim – Took me a minute to get your sound effects🤣.

To answer your question, (1) Taking away those rights won’t solve the problem or keep it from occurring again. (2) Your pursuit of life, liberty and happiness is no more impacted by gun ownership than it is by the Boston Bombers or the McVeighs of the world.

You do know I’m searching for answers and asking these questions to open up the dialogue right? It doesn’t mean I’m defined in my position? I’m asking the people’s question, and we have recently found out that they can make changes if they vote that way.

Do you feel our country is vulnerable to a hardcore takeover by some lunatic dictator involving our military, one you belonged to?

• pheloniusphish says:

No and it’s not because the military wouldn’t cooperate and because so many of us have guns and understand how to use them. As Japanese General Yamamoto said “There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.”

I must pragmatically disagree with Cav’s general agreement that he disagrees with that specific point. Although I am not entirely sure what the point is.

son of a son of a shula says:
    October 3, 2017 at 8:56 pm (Edit)
    I heard this killer is a millionaire

*****
    It’s possible to do that
    Some one has to create an estate on his behalf
    His assets transfer to the estate
    That families of victims can sue the estate
    And recover damages from the estate

Okay, I’m out to drink a bourbon and hack up a bunch of creatures in Dark Souls 2.

Now this baseball is a crazy ass game.

That’s my take Kong

spellcheck is always drunk – and my posts prove that

86. ElephantRider says:

Phins sign WR Kolby Listenbee to PS…..
    They sure like WRs…… hope he’s good at 1yd routes.

From dictionary.com:

“The bottom line is that irregardless is indeed a word, albeit a clunky one. That said, to avoid the wrath of your grammar-loving friends, it’s safest to avoid using irregardless altogether.”

Then again…screw dictionaries. They’re inanimate objects…may as well be a toaster.

Here come the Judge ⚾️

This game is nuts.

OH BOY
    I see the big bad guns are under attack again?

Just for kicks and giggles I’ll go ahead and give my 2 pennies

The whole issue is to “protect” Americans from ( you pick whatever makes you wake up at night )
    You have to take someones freedoms.

Ban Guns – someone runs through the mall stabbing people
    Castrate the insane – and you just killed the guy who was going to cure cancer
    Ban fossil fuels – you just froze millions of old peaple
    Global warming – it’s great until you drown

So a gun is an inanimate object that is designed to force a projectile out at a high rate of speed.

If it’s not the gun then it must be the”crazy” person using it? ( sorry Randy )
    Is there a bar for insanity to measure when to put the person down before they commit a Horrible crime? I’ll have to let Randy answer that!
    Are you going to volunteer for the testing?
    Who is going to put you down? a government agency?
    Who sets the bar?
    What if the bar gets moved just a bit to help the agency out?
    what if it just gets moved to include a certain race or religion?

Oh Wait now you want that gun back? Well it’s to late!
    I hope your damn good with that butter knife

If you don’t learn from history you will repeat the same mistakes.

I think I got lost in my rant! 😉
    But you get the drift

We will never be able to stop these horrific events because the individuals rights are protected right up till he pulls the trigger.
    Without those rights we will no longer be America

It is sad but true!

Wyoming,
    Holy shit….did you just have an aneurism? That has to be your longest post of all time, by far, bud! Lol

Wyoming,
    Oh hell….nobody goes full D. That’s just unheard of. Lol

Irregardless really is incorrect, but do ya wanna know the one that really bothers me?

MikeE,
    Handless?

LOL – Nope. It’s an expression, or a phrase, not just one word

• herdfan says:

I couldn’t care less

Yup – That’s the one Herd. So many people say “I COULD care less” which in essence means you actually do care about whatever it is you’re saying you don’t care about. 🙂

So now, either expression is acceptable, because so many people have said it incorrectly. Nice job Herd!

• herdfan says:

Yay! I win…let me guess……a toaster?

well, if herd doesn’t give a shit….I don’t either!

96. ElephantRider says:

Irregardless I couldnt care less about anything

LOL Herd – Do you want a toaster?

Randy – WTF happened to the Twins? I thought you had those damn Yankees

MikeE,
    Hell if I know! I’m still waiting for halftime! Lol

Irregardless of my 1/2 D post, you sumanubitches want to be the grammar police instead of commenting on it? 😉

I agree with some of the things you said. I let my emotions on this thing get the best of me today. There is no easy solution, and there certainly isn’t one particular thing you can do to stop these types of things from happening. I was really upset reading some of the stories of different people. It’s really sad.

I’m tired – Goodnight folks! Sorry if I insulted anyone today, this Las Vegas shooting really got me upset today.

MikeE,
    Night man….no worries from me. We’re all getting beaten down by the senseless violence in our World. You’re in pain and upset because you care. I get it.

Wyoming,
    Does that mean you expected me to actually read that humongous post? I haven’t read a whole D post in a couple years! Lol

Wyoming…I get what you’re saying. I hate the violence, these mass killings that are senseless. I’m also in the process of getting a gun for myself. I’m not anti gun. I live in an area where hunting is a way of life for a lot of people. What it comes down to for me is there is no reason for an individual to have weapons that are capable of doing the damage that happened in Las Vegas. If that means limiting the number of weapons, or the type of weapons, I can live with that. Compromise.

I think our whole system is getting f’d up. I don’t know the answer. It’s all just incredibly sad.

The whole rant was worthless other than the last sentence.
      I think I have 5 – rifles 3-shotguns 1 – pistol
      the pistol is my only semi-automatic and it’s only function is to kill anything threatening my family.
      And it’s my least favorite and I hope I NEVER have to use it!!!!!!

Wyoming,
    As I’d said, I don’t think gun control is going to change anything, so it is just a moot point for me. I also cringe when I hear anything about even more of our rights being curtailed. It’s just a false solution, so what’s the real agenda? People have been finding ways to kill one another for centuries. That will never change. Guns or no guns. If someone wants to kill a bunch of people, they’ll figure out a way to do it. They’re not gonna say: “Oh shucks, I can’t go buy a gun at Wal-Mart….guess I’ll go mow the lawn instead.” I don’t know. It makes me sad, and I’m not sure I have any hope it’s gonna change.

Harris had that tackle beat before he ever used his hands. It’s his quickness off the ball that is gonna be one of his best assets, but that tackle played that play very poorly….and Tannehill is still an average QB.

Phish, I’m still having a hard time seeing how the population of “We the People” would be able to stand up to our military in that scenario? Land, sea and air vs. a well armed citizenry? You knowing what you’re doing with a gun doesn’t match up with that or sea and air power.

So what’s next, private sector people arming their private planes with missiles to take on our air power? Loading up fishing and/or cruising boats with what, to take on the Navy?

I thought your response was a bit flippant. Once again not trying to be a jerk, I just don’t see it, so what are we worried about?

If there is a concern about such things, than we don’t truly believe in America. Free to be, but no longer the security of defense? We’re on our own. That’s just the way it is.

Maybe I’m just confused. We praise our armed forces and then say, hey one day, you never know, they may rule you. Our family and friends. At that point I’d give up. Just like William Wallace.

Tim I hear what your saying.
    But the option is to just load the train to Auschwitz?
    Is that how your going down?
    We won our independents by defeating the largest Kingdom this world has ever seen ( Could be The Roman Empire but that’s another argument ) Or at least not giving up until they got bored!

I understand that the odds wouldn’t be good and you would probably get killed without even seeing the enemy.
    But hey that’s who we are!
    ( Or my version of who we should be )

Randy says:
    October 3, 2017 at 11:47 pm
    Wyoming,
    As I’d said, I don’t think gun control is going to change anything
    ___________________________________________________
    Having these legal bump stock devices making a semi automatic an automatic assault rifle should be outlawed, whomever made that device legal is stupid, why not just make all auto’s legal if that’s the case? i seen this devise on you-tube a couple of years ago and couldn’t believe it was legal! if this shooter simply has a semi automatic assault rifle the death toll would have been less.
    I believe in the 2nd amendment however i don’t believe our fore fathers meant for us to have assault rifles. they are made for one thing, assault. if you feel the need to arm yourself for protection get a glock.
    get rid of the bump stock and take a hard look at banning assault rifles, that would go a long way in preventing the tragedies we’ve seen in Vegas.
    JMO
    Go Dolph???? National Anthem

Of course you have the NRA that make so much money from producing assault rifles and have most politicians in their hip pocket, it would be tough to ban them.

NEW BLOG UP!