The Wedge Scouting Report: Royce Freeman, Oregon

LOOK AT ALL THESE BEAUTIFUL HOMES!

Alienhomes

LOOK AT ALL THESE BEAUTIFUL LADIES!

AlienBeutyContest

LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL SPACESHIP!

RollGlider

You can have it all too because Wedge is about to let you in on my secrets!  All You need to do is send me 4000 Photoncoins and I will give you all my secrets and you can have it too!

Wedge Book

You can have everything Wedge has just by buying my book and…

Well not everything…You can’t have the spaceship…That’s a custom Lunar Royce!  It’s not for you.  Get your own original you pathetic cretins…that’s mine.  I won’t part with an original.

Speaking of originals…Royce Freeman is a one of a kind running back

The Positives:  At 5-11 230 pounds this is the kind of back that can really wear own a defense.  He’s a powerful runner who explodes through the line of scrimmage.  But he is more than that.  Freeman had a ton of big runs at Oregon that were, rather than the product of power, the product of balance and vision.

Those traits helped him compile some big stats at Oregon. In fact, he is Oregon’s all time leader in…in…well everything.

Freeman7

Freeman holds the Ducks record for all time rushing yards (5,621), rushing touchdowns (60), total touchdowns (64) and 100 yard rushing games (31).  Let that sink in for a moment.  All those prolific offenses at Oregon, and Freeman has more total touchdowns than any other Duck.

Actually that rushing record is a Pac-12 record.  That’s right more than Marcus Allen, more than Reggie Bush, more than Toby Gerhart,  more than Touchdown Tommy Vardell and more than OJ Simpson.

Those touchdowns were not all in one year and Freeman was pretty consistent scoring 18 times in 2014, 17 times in 2015, 9 times in 2016 and 16 times in 2017.

Freeman5

The Negatives: Freeman has good speed but doesn’t show the lateral quickness you often see from NFL running backs.  It doesn’t really hold him back – in fact, he’s a terrific north/south runner and paired with his excellent vision, he usually only needs one cut before exploding through the line of scrimmage.

Currently people (Kiper) are projecting him to go in the 4th round believe it or not.  Why?  I don’t know frankly, I think its probably just the depth at running back this year.

Freemna9

The Alien Dust:  My first time looking at Freeman was via a highlight clip.  All I saw was the big runs and these Pac 12 defenses that left a lot of space on the field.  I didn’t love him.

But when you watch his game tapes you see it.  He fights on every touch.  Freeman gets to the line of scrimmage fast and I expect him to be a real force on short yardage.  But he isn’t just a short yardage back – this guy can be an NFL workhorse.

Freeman has quickly become one of my favorite running backs along with Guice and Chubb and the good news about Freeman is that he probably won’t go in the first two rounds.

Freeman4

Freeman might be a one of a kind running back.  Just like my Lunar Royce.   Sleek but deadly.  Royce Freeman in the Lunar Royce of the NFL!

FreemannShip

You can watch his highlights here

This entry was posted in SCOUTING REPORTS, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

367 Responses to The Wedge Scouting Report: Royce Freeman, Oregon

Don’t eat the green jello Ken!

Ken….You got this. I’ll be sending all the good vibes your way tomorrow.

3. I see the Chiefs added MF’s boy Amerson. Skunked again.

4. rich0322 says:

Good luck, Ken.

Best of Luck Ken. Speedy recovery

Nice write Piggy. I am down with a RB in rounds after 2, or anytime after we have secured an OL and a Stud to be TE .. i would like to see a vet FA OL and or James resigned to Cap friendly deals first , then a stud OL drafted early and another a bit later .. would be a bit queasy with more than 1 rook starting

PS sign Landry !!!!

Just remember, if Piggy likes them they won’t be Dolphins. LOL

8. ElephantRider says:

Good luck Ken!

Nice job Piggy

Positive vibes Ken

Hulk will smash surgery!

All the best Ken

12. Phindog says:

Have a speedy recovery Ken !!

Best of luck today Ken!

We’re all with ya, Ken.
    #HulkStrong

Howard Balzer‏
    @HBalzer721
    Follow Follow @HBalzer721
    Rob Rang’s latest mock draft: http://draftscout.tsxfiles.com/2018/02/14/rob-rangs-mock-draft-top-qb-crop-since-famed-1983-class/
    ———–
    Billy Price just keeps climbing up the charts…

IF Tremaine Edmunds, Quenton Nelson, and Roquan Smith are gone by R1P11… AND Billy Price kills the Combine… we might do well to take Price @ 11. I think Rang’s onto something with the Bengals taking Price @ 12: they need O-Line help BADLY.

I’m STILL very happy that the Bills beat the Bengals in the last game of the regular season!!!

M – What would killing the combine be in your eyes?

I’d say a top-3 performer in every event among his positional class. That, or an OUTSTANDING performance in one event.

He’s expected to do very well in the BP, so that’s a given, and I guess he may run well, but I think teams already know this. He’s probably a mid to late 1st RD prospect, but sometimes need pushes the envelope a little.

Breaking — report of a disturbance in a CT hospital. 🙂

Piggy, you have a very bizarre creative mind. LOL

“Currently people (Kiper) are projecting him to go in the 4th round believe it or not.”

Another great write by the Pig……and one that makes Royce a possible for me, even if the thrid. Sounds like could lead to the thunder and lightening that other teams have used, or at least some modified version of it. Could see wear them down mainly with a guy like Royce and then let a more fresh Drake go after a tired D in the 2nd half.

Gase has said he doesn’t like to rotate players in and out during a drive. He likes to keep the same personnel group on the field to build some momentum. Of course if a guy gets dinged up or needs a breather he’ll switch them out. So I think the RB by committee would be used more like that.

Wouldn’t have to be in the same drive though. Could just switch up amount of play by drive and go with the power back more to start with and then more Drake later on. Especially seeing in the “heat” games on that one.

Drake is probably our most explosive player so I want to get the ball in his hands throughout the game. I’d actually do the opposite of what you’re suggesting. Drake more early to put points on the board and then the other back to help hammer out the clock.

Best wishes for you today, Ken.

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 11: Roquan Smith, ILB/OLB, Georgia (A)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Isaiah Wynn, OG, Georgia (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State (B+)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Rashaan Gaulden, CB, Tennessee (A)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Deadrin Senat, DT, South Florida (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Tre’Quan Smith, WR, Central Florida (A+)

Piggy – DT Deadrin Senat sounds like an alien name, eh? Does Wedge know him?

M – Did you catch Fergie’s rendition of the Star Spangled banner at the NBA All Star Game? Sheesh!

Career receptions for RBs in this year’s Draft…

Jaylen Samuels: 202
    Darrel Williams: 38
    Derrius Guice: 32
    Ronald Jones: 32
    Nick Chubb: 31
    Bo Scarbrough: 21
    Roc Thomas: 18

LOL @ M and Tim – It was painful. What kind of arrangement was that? It sounded like a bad nightclub act, maybe someone doing a comedy act of someone being a lounge singer singing the national anthem.

M – It’s hard to Judge Ito. lol I just had to say that. 🙂

LOL @ the Siberian Husky Howling comparison

Even the bottom of that list is not so bad, given in years past we have seen guy with less than 10 catches

Also Samuels is a Swiss Army knife – RB, FB, H-back and TE. He’s a player I’d like to see us draft and I could also see the Pats being interested in a player like him.

Yeah – I don’t really think he counts

Look at Barkley’s numbers though
        Every time I see a list like this Barkley is amazing

Barkley looks like a LaDanian Tomlinson type of back.

I felt that way about Gurley and Fournette

between those 3 guys only one of them can be the generational back….lol

For perspective – Kenyon Drake had 46 career catches at Alabama
    most of them in his final year (29)

I think of Drake as a pretty good receiving threat

A lot of college teams don’t throw to the RB and Drake was a depth back and STs player. What I saw from him this past season when he got his chance to be the feature back is that he’s better than I thought he was. He had 32 catches last year and that was in basically a half a season of snaps. He also showed that deep route and catch against NE.

I didn’t harp on it in this wedge report

but Freeman had almost 950 carries at Oregon
    contrast that to Drake who had barely over 230 (missing a chunk of his jr year due to injury)

I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing
    its a lot of wear on a RB – buyout know what – he was really durable

some people think it was a mistake for Freeman to stay for his senior year (he had over 240 carries in his senior year) because of wear and tear and bc he probably would have went higher last year given the depth at RB this year

Also I’m pretty sure Freeman will be ready to go from game 1 in his rookie season

I tend to think RBs usually have the best chance to make impacts as rookies
      more than a few in this class will be worth drafting in fantasy football…lol

When I watched some video of Barkley the one thing that bothered me is he does a lot of hurdling which can set you up for injury. I mean it’s impressive that he can do it but you don’t want to land awkward.

Tomorrow is the first day teams can use the franchise tag.

Piggy – How many contenders could possibly interested in Cousins?

He would make Arizona a contender, but they don’t have a lotta Cap if I remember..

My bet is he goes to the team who gives him the most $$$ and he says screw winning, because making over $30M guaranteed per season IS winning. lol

^ WJ3 is the ONE I wanted us to draft in ’16, but when Laremy Tunsil fell into our laps, we would have been foolish not to select him.

41. naplesfan2010 says:

Best wishes to Ken. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on here again soon.

Barry Jackson

@flasportsbuzz
    14m14 minutes ago
    NEW: A fresh Dolphins six-pack, including Dolphins planning more contact with Baker Mayfield; PLUS C.J. Anderson, Charles Harris, free agency/draft items:

Good stuff! I read some of these reports earlier.

My take:
      Baker Mayfield – could be a ploy for a trade down but maybe the Phins do like him.

C.J. Anderson – if Denver releases him I see that as being very possible. He has a connection with Gase and new RB coach Studesville.

Tyrod Taylor – I don’t think he’d be looking to sign on as a backup and it won’t cheap if he does.

Charles Harris – because of his work ethic and improvement down the stretch is why I believe he will pan out. The dude loves football and is always looking to get better.

Damien Williams – does not have a career 2.3 YPCA, it’s 3.6. Last year 3.9 was his best.

Soooo talking to Baker
    Isn’t that interesting

A woman (aka my wife) buys a $20 bottle of shampoo and after using it once decides she doesn’t like it. Says, “well I had to try it to see if I liked it”.
    And there’s the difference. I knew from the moment I heard it was $20 that I hated it.

Piggy, what if we acquire C.J. Anderson via DEN releasing him and pairing him with Drake? That would be good to me. Not sure why DEN let’s him go though. He’s been consistent and has played well for them. He’s not overpaid.

47. Kind of misnomer to say Samuels is a rb with a lot of receptions when he was classified as a TE until his senior year.

Speaking of one year, how about Leighton Vander Esch. He had one good season. Granted, it was a really good season but where was the production in past years? Is that one really good season enough to overlook the previous two?

the Combine will not change my opinion but maybe 5 to 10 spots!
    The closer to the to the least movement!

to the top that is?

1:30 a.m. and the anesthesia is finally starting to wear off. Surgeon is very optimistic but need to wait on biopsy results on lymph node but every thing looks like it was contained. I am in a lot of pain and discomfort. I am will have an NG tube for five days and a drain even longer but final results more important and so far so good

51. It’s kind of strange/funny that we gave an offer to CJ Anderson which Denver matched to get him back and now they don’t want him anymore. So now we’re going to acquire someone else’s shit again.

If we do sign him it should be for far less than what was offered last time. Anderson isn’t really anything great at running back. I’d rather we just do what we need to do to get Williams signed and run with Drake and my boy Jordan Chunn in the draft. Chunn is a more powerful rb with great feet and acceleration for a guy 235lbs and has great hands out of the backfield.

52. I’m with Anderson like others are with Ajayi. Anderson has never played a down of football for us so fuck him. I don’t want him.

Great to hear Ken!

Hit the button and take a nap!

LOL @ Lou – So it’s OK for the Eagles to want someone else’s shit (Ajayi), but we can’t want Anderson? That’s beyond hilarious Lou. There’s no logic you can spin in which that makes sense at all

Ken – Glad to hear the procedure went well. Hope the pain is manageable big guy!

Hang in there Ken.

Ken — glad the procedure went as well as it could, but man that post was a let down. Was expecting your first one to be Hulk loopy on OXY and got Dr. Steve Bannon instead. 🙂

Lou – You think Ajayi is going to play for less than the contract Anderson has? He’s a FA next season, and he’s looking to get paid.

Good to hear, Ken. Hoping everything is going to be fine and you’re not in pain ASAP.

The Patriots stock their team with players from other teams all the time.

It’s a deep RB class, so it’s a good year to cut pricey garbage veterans

I see Mondo is still a ray of sunshine!~

Have the Dolphins given any hint that they could sniff a Super Bowl regardless of the QB? The answer is NO.

Waste of time article. I thought it was after the trade now the Dolphins get to see Ajayi lead the Eagles to a Super Bowl? Now it’s Foles and it’s amazing everything gets compared to Tannehill. The Eagles were a better team than the Dolphins. End of story.

• Nobody wants to give Foles credit for anything but he executed the plays to near perfection and that’s why he is a better quarterback than Tannehill will ever be. I said it in 2012 and I’ll keep saying it. The only reason anyone on hear, Twitter or anywhere else continues to defend Tannehill is because he’s the Phins qb. If he were on another team doing the same none of the people defending him would be saying the same thing about him.

Lou, Foles played great. Everyone is giving him credit. Why do you use extreme statements like “Nobody wants to give Foles credit for anything” when it’s complete bullshit? He won the SB MVP and everyone is talking about him and his great performance and why having quality backup QBs is important.

Foles has nothing to do with Tannehill or any other QB. It’s novice stuff that Armando likes to throw out there from time to time.

5 NJ schools have received threats of a shooter in the last 72 hours, a 7th grader in Ohio brought a gun with him to school today and shot himself in the bathroom, not sure of his condition, and I believe a few other schools across the country were on lockdown in recent days.

Whatever is causing this and whatever the solutions are, America we have a problem.

Ken,

Stay strong, Hulk!

You know what, millennials get broad brushed too much as all the same when it’s not any different than when I was growing up. They just have more technology than we did so you would expect them to be drawn to all the devices and media. Even my generation “Generation X” and our parents generation “The Baby Boomers” all use them too, just not to the extent that the kids do which makes sense.

Broad brushing all millennials is also really disrespectful to all the good parents who have raised millions of good kids who accomplish great things.

This country in general broad brushes everything and that’s part of the problem. America needs a sit down with itself. Have a discussion and stop throwing mud as a reaction to everything.

AGREED! So why do millennials throw mud as much as they do?

It’s been happening long before the millennials. It started in the late 60’s and for good reason when the country was about as tight-assed as you could be. Now everything anyone says is broadcasted onto your phone. The speed of technology has been a challenge for all of us.

70. Mike,
    who gives a shit what players other teams pick up? why do you care that Philly got Ajayi? I thought you didn’t give a shit.

I don’t care who gets who, just what we get. It’s a simple supply and demand situation. Players are recycled all over the league, every team has to sign FA’s to fill their rosters. I love all those fuckers when they play for our team, but when they leave, fuck those fuckers!

71. here’s some of MY picks for the Phins in this upcoming draft:

RB Jordan Chunn, Troy
    DE Jeff Holland, Auburn
    WR Jester Weah, Pitt
    LB Christian Sam, ASU
    TE Jordan Akins, USF

February 20, 2018 at 4:09 pm
    ————-

“And for good reason when the country was about as tight-asses as you could be”, you state… what, school-shootings? For good reason? I’m not trying to twist your words, I’m trying to understand what ya mean by this. I KNOW you didn’t mean that the way it came out, to be SURE, Bro! Explain…

*”tight-assed”

“The speed of information technology has NOTHING to do with a school-student making the active decision to kill people.”

I absolutely do, there are triggers that weren’t there before.

“tight-assed as you could be” means society was not very open-minded to anything new other than what they were raised with. It didn’t have anything to do with school shootings and people didn’t have the same access to guns with 30 round clips or more either. But let’s not pretend there weren’t fucked up homicides back in the day. There wasn’t as much public knowledge about it throughout the country back then either. Now you can find out what’s going on anywhere in the world with the touch of a few keys.

That’s what I meant by “The speed of technology has been a challenge for all of us.”

You’re losing me here on the speed of information. Either one has the intent in their heart to KILL, or not. Speed of information has nothing to do with what we’re talking about… nor does gun-technology, for that matter.

Well that’s that. We’ll agree to disagree.

I was born in ’69

what generation am I? Do I fit into Gen X? I’m not sure.

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero
    1m1 minute ago
    The #Bears will decline their $8 million option for 2018 on veteran guard Josh Sitton, sources tell @RapSheet and me. They’ll go younger. Sitton goes back on the market at age 31.

Nick Foles – Superbowl MVP

Same Nick Foles 79.5 QBR with a 56% completion rating in ’17.

He had ONE good year in 2013, the rest of his carreer he has floated around 60% completion or less and around an 80 QBR..

that’s average.

Wow that’s two sexual innuendo’s in minutes. LOL

I’m an X-man!! Who knew?!

Tim – I’m at the very tail end of being a baby boomer, born in ’63

Yeah but you’re more GenX. It’s like zodiac signs. LOL

’64 -me – is always what I see as the last year of baby boomers.
        The generation before baby boomers is called the silent generation. We could use one of those again…

They have to draw the line somewhere but I don’t consider people I was in HS with at the same time as Baby Boomers when that is what my parents were. You and Mike are “technically” the end of the Baby Boomers and I’m the beginning of GenX in 65. But our age groups hung out together, you weren’t like uncles. LOL

80. Free agency sucks this year. There better be a lot of cuts leading up to it because it’s slim pickings. I really hope we don’t go crazy signing a dozen guys like we normally do just to fill in spots.

Mike I was BORN in 69. I was CONCEIVED in missionary. (most likely) LOL

My special X-man power is being invisible……to women.

83. here’s some of MY picks for the Phins in this upcoming draft:
    RB Jordan Chunn, Troy
    DE Jeff Holland, Auburn
    WR Jester Weah, Pitt
    LB Christian Sam, ASU
    TE Jordan Akins, UCF

needed to respost

There are only two guys I don’t want to lose to FA… Jarvis Landry and William Hayes.

I don’t think Nelson will fall to us. I’ve seen him mocked at #7 thru #9 range. Unless something negative comes out about him, I think he’ll go top 10.

Tim you don’t have to consider me your uncle but I am. Now get me a beer.

I’m talking about.——- Yes we know and you prove it daily.

“He had the highest single season qb rating in the history of the NFL.”

No, that honor goes to Aaron Rogers in 2011 with 122.5, then Peyton Manning in 2004 with 121.1

Foles had a great 13 games in 2013

• Kill me. I misspoke. It was the 3rd highest of all time. Still pretty damn good for a guy starting for the first time and a hell of a lot better than anything the mediocre one has ever put up in a season.

Think about this. You quote stats for Foles for this past season. He comes off the bench cold late in the season. Takes any qb a while to get up to speed. But, in the three biggest games of the year he has comp % of 76, 78 and 65 with a 144 rating vs MIN and throws 6 td’s and just 1 int in those 3 games.

I watched him play at Arizona and he WAS the offense and he’s proven more as a quarterback than that piece of shit we’ve got will ever prove.

Your last line is why this discussion is a waste of time. We get it already!

• Tim,
        the discussion is a waste of time because people will continue to give Tannehill credit for doing nothing but a guy like Foles who’s proven what he could do and HAS done it gets zero credit from those same people who LOOOOOVVVE Tannehill.

I get that Tannehill is the qb of the Phins but just because he’s the qb it doesn’t mean you have to defend him if he’s not that good. Call it like it is and move on.

89. I honestly wish Tannehill could catch on with some team like the Vikes who are a pretty complete team or someone like them so everyone could finally see that he’s not the qb they think he is. But, I doubt any team that’s that close would want him as a starter.

Wow gonna be a fun optimistic offseason. Geez! LOL

I think technically 69 is the last year if the baby boomers
    My sister was born then
    I think she is more like Gen exer like me

I think these labels are stupid

If you are older than me I just call you and old fart
    If you are younger I call you a kid

Hulk pretty wiped out today. Got up walked the halls a couple of times and felt like I ran a marathon

93. naplesfan2010 says:

PHINSIDER MOCK:
    11. Miami (6-10) Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
    I keeping this pick the same (for the Phins). I do have doubts that Edmunds will be available here; I know he’s been hyped up a lot lately. While I have liked what I’ve seen from him this year I really haven’t dove into his film until my latest mock. I think he’s a solid top 15 guy, a 3 –down LB, very athletic and a very high ceiling. He’s not a perfect prospect, but I get excited thinking that we may select him here with this pick. I think he makes our defense a lot better.

• naplesfan2010 says:

oops and in Round 2:
      10. Miami (6-10) Tyrell Crosby, G, Oregon
      (gave up no sacks all year i think)

which is odd since I think that’s the same guy in Wyo’s post above. I like that guy as a Guard, not a tackle. I’m thinking we have no chance at Nelson.

All the nurses say that Hulk has been their easiest patient. All the nurses have been pretty easy on the eyes too

95. naplesfan2010 says:

Just think if we could get
    Tremaine or Roquan in round 1
    Crosby(above) or Braden Smith in round 2
    Hernandez or Ragonow in round 3
    Penny or Royce Freeman in round 4a
    Gesicki or Hurst in round 4b

wow that would set us up so nice!!

96. naplesfan2010 says:

I really think we MUST resign Cody Parkey.
    Phinsider says:
    The Dolphins paid Parkey $690,000 this season, but keeping him in Miami may require a slight bump in pay. San Francisco 49ers veteran Robbie Gould is currently the tenth highest paid kicker by average salary at around $2,000,000 per year. The drop off beyond there is steep, as Cincinnati Bengals kicker Randy Bullock holds the eleventh spot at $782,500 per season. Depending on the length of Parkey’s next contract, it would be safe to assume the reliable leg will receive somewhere slightly above Bullock’s average.

I’d like to see Parkey back – He was very dependable, with excellent kickoffs too. He’s pretty good at the onsides kick as well. Unless he’s outrageous in his demands, we should sign him

Hulk like nurses, eh? Make sure they’re really hot, and you’re not just wearing percocet goggles. 😛

Rock – Yeah man, but the joke didn’t work that way or any other way really

Piggy, I think most labels are ghey.

Ken, good to see you here. Get well soon.

Joe Schad

@schadjoe
    46s46 seconds ago
    BREAKING NEWS: The Miami Dolphins are likely to use the franchise tag on Jarvis Landry, per league source

20 minute smash-a-thon

Armando Salguero

@ArmandoSalguero
    16s16 seconds ago
    The Miami Dolphins likely using franchise tag on WR Jarvis Landry. It will be non-exlcusive tag, costing approximately $16M. Any other team wanting to sign Landry would have to yield first-round pick.

Barry Jackson

@flasportsbuzz
    47s47 seconds ago
    Dolphins expected to use franchise tag on Landry, who has said he is ok with that scenario.

M – I was going to say I think that’s a great sign, that they will probably work out a new contract, but I’m not sure either.

106. ElephantRider says:

Guess they are adamant on getting deal done. They better……16M is absurd

107. ElephantRider says:

Good to see you Hulk!

Alright nap time. Hydrocodone kicking in

If we’re SERIOUS about keeping Jarvis at $16M under the franchise tag, my best guesstimate is that Suh has agreed to restructure. Heck, even if we get Jarvis signed long-term for around $13M per season, I’d guess that Suh (or perhaps Tannehill) has agreed to restructure. We’ll see…

110. The franchise tag can be rescinded and the thing about the non-exclusive tag is that the player is free to negotiate with other teams and the Phins have the right to match. So, in that respect, it’s like a transition tag but they would get the compensation if they let him walk.

To me, that’s kind of strange. It’s almost like what they did with Clay but they may be expecting a lot more interest in Landry and could be willing to let him walk if another team makes him an offer. Also, if they can’t come to terms with Landry they can rescind.

Alain Poupart

@apoupartFins
    59s60 seconds ago
    Tag on Landry is non-exclusive, meaning he can sign an offer sheet but @MiamiDolphins get two first-round picks if they decline to match.

Jeff Darlington

@JeffDarlington
    1m1 minute ago
    Be warned about the Dolphins placing the franchise tag on Jarvis Landry: A tag and trade is still a possibility here. All sorts of options remain on the table.

The one option that wasn’t going to happen all along? Landry leaving on March 14 via free agency.

• the non-exclusive tag, to me, says they’re not looking to sign him long term. they’re looking for compensation and want him to go out and get offers. I don’t believe they’ve been working on a contract.

if someone doesn’t make him that offer to get the two first’s I think we trade him if he signs the tag.

either way, I’m still iffy he’s going to be here this year.

1. Franchise tag for Landry means we want him back for 2018 regardless of a longer-term deal.
    2. Franchise tag for Landry means we’re not letting him walk for nothing and we’ll see if a team bites.

Jeff Darlington

@JeffDarlington
    5m5 minutes ago
    Something to keep in mind: When a team tags a player on the first day that it’s an option, with two weeks to take that action, it isn’t a sign that a long-term contract is close to happening.

Quite honestly, it is instead a sign of the opposite.

February 20, 2018 at 5:49 pm

Basically everything revolves around me

Everything is relative……..

Including spouses in some states….

February 20, 2018 at 5:49 pm

Basically everything revolves around me

The mean response I deleted was

everything revolves around you because you are so fat you have your own gravity. 😉

Hulk I hope you mend soon.

118. I know the Landry tag is the big news right now but if we do end up keeping him I’d like to trade Parker to the Jags for Dawuane Smoot.

119. none of the shit they do makes any sense. it’s like these guys just do shit just to do something.

I seem to remember some of you guys on here liking Martavis Bryant

JUST FOUND OUT that Hulk had surgery. Hope all is well with you, Ken!! We’re going to need your alter ego in the upcoming season!!!
    —————-
    Mrs. OD and your’s truly were truly shocked and stunned when our veterinarian called us in South Carolina to tell us our beloved Greyhound, Julianna, who was being boarded while we were away on business, passed away very suddenly (and unexpectedly) at the age of 10. She was a joy to behold and the truest friend you could ever ask for!! Average life span for a Greyhound is 10-12 years, with larger Greyhounds having a shorter life expectancy. Our “Julie” was a full 82 pounds and, by all appearances, very healthy. But the breed is subject to vascular incidents, and that’s exactly what our vet believes was her cause of death.
    ————–
    Our age prevents us from adopting another large dog. But Mrs. OD spent much of today searching for another rescue dog to bring into our “family.” Julie and I must have walked literally thousands of miles over the many years we were privileged to have her. It’s a fair question to ask “Who saved who?” in this situation. I know the walks added many quality years to my life. And she always improved my outlook on life with our little journeys. We look forward to having another wonderful dog to spoil as we head into our twilight years.

So sorry OD. Julianna sounds like a good friend. Dogs just give love and friendship, and so sorry you lost that from her. Gonna be a lot of crying in our place when our older guy goes.

122. So, who here likes a swap of Martavis Bryant for Parker?

Sorry about your dog OD.
    Good to see you, it’s been a while.

As you know I’ve been a fan of Cousins but he isn’t a player I’d break the bank for. Man he’s set himself up though, with a guarantee like that he will have made in guaranteed money over a hundred million dollars over the last 3 years. Damn!

I liked Martavis when he was in the draft. Everyone thought I was nuts. I don’t think I’d trade Parker for him but Bryant is what we want Parker to be.

They would have until July to get a deal done if they don’t then Landry would play under the tag this year.
    This gives him a chance to see what his market might be but it would be prohibitive for a team to give up two first rounders.

Lou the Steelers don’t do big money trades like that!

OD Sorry to here about your Youngen!
    They are just like family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I personally feel they’d be happy with a tag & trade situation that nets them a high 2nd. So if there’s a team that’s picking above us in the 2nd rd I think they’d take that deal because they want some sort of compensation for him.

Jackson was the only guy saying they were trying to work out a deal and now they slap the tag on him. If they were as close to a deal as Jackson said they were there would be no need for the tag.

Here’s why!

The link posted to the fan site Finsmaniacs that wyoming85 posted above lays out the benefits of placing the non-exclusive franchise tag on Landry. They gave him the highest tag so it would require teams to give up TWO First round picks to get him to discourage “legal tampering” during the combine, etc. Only teams that are serious enough about signing Landry away from us to contemplate giving up two first rounders would enter into negotiations with him. It pretty much allows the team to negotiate with Landry’s camp without outside interference / competition until free agency officially starts.

You know what? Fuck Mando! I’m tired of all these hacks going out of their way to portray the Dolphins in a negative light

Kirk Cousins

@KirkCousins8
    24m24 minutes ago
    “(When I’m gone) I want to hear 1 person say something nice about me…& that’s the Lord—‘Well done, good & faithful servant!’”
    -Billy Graham
    Billy heard those words this morning & so will 3 million others b/c of his life
    ———-
    RIP, Billy Graham

My opinion after sleeping on it…

We’re shopping Jarvis to the highest bidder (for draft picks). I’ve often spoken of how much cap trouble we’re going to be in this year… franchising Jarvis makes it even WORSE for us. That is… unless the Bank of $uh has agreed to loan us more money.

I think Jeff Darlington has it correct.

My first Post Landry Tag mock draft. Assuming we will not pick up Jame’s 5th year option in order to make cap room.

11: R1P11 OT ORLANDO BROWN OKLAHOMA
    42: R2P10 G BILLY PRICE OHIO STATE
    73: R3P9 TE MARK ANDREWS OKLAHOMA
    113: R4P11 DL KENDRICK NORTON MIAMI
    132: R4P30 RB KALEN BALLAGE ARIZONA STATE
    186: R6P9 LB SHAQUEM GRIFFIN CENTRAL FLORIDA
    223: R7P5 S DOMINICK SANDERS GEORGIA
    229: R7P11 EDGE JACOB PUGH FLORIDA STATE

Armando Salguero

@ArmandoSalguero
    1m1 minute ago
    New…This is the Miami Dolphins’ plan for Mike Pouncey (as of today)

Joe Schad

@schadjoe
    3m3 minutes ago
    Would the Miami Dolphins trade Jarvis Landry? http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2018/02/21/would-the-miami-dolphins-trade-jarvis-landry/

February 21, 2018 at 10:24 am
    He’s pretty much been wrong about Landry every step of the way
    ————–
    In all fairness, I think we’ve ALL been wrong about Landry every step of the way… including me. Never did I think it would come down to the franchise tag.

141. ElephantRider says:

Landry can’t be traded unless he signs, whether it’s a real deal or his tag. He’s kinda in charge of that as of now.

Albert Breer

@AlbertBreer
    45s45 seconds ago
    More Albert Breer Retweeted Armando Salguero
    Good perspective here. Only real functional reason to tag a player on the first day of the window is if you’re going to try and move him — Doing it early gives you more time to shop him before 3/14. So …

I thought Mando’s article on Landry was disjointed. He doesn’t know what the FO is doing so Mando is throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks and then he will say I told you so

Jeff Darlington

@JeffDarlington
    2m2 minutes ago
    More Jeff Darlington Retweeted Armando Salguero
    I agree with every word of this.

145. BailBondMike says:

So if you tagged Landry putting us in deep cap hell but Cleveland offers you Round 2, picks 1 and 3 for landry, do you take it?

146. BailBondMike says:

I did that and came up with

1-11 OLB Tremaine Edmunds (nelson was gone)
    2-1(CLE) OT Mike Mcglinchey (price was gone)
    2-3(CLE) TE Dallas Goedert
    2-10 WR Anthony Miller (Landry replacement)
    3-9 C/OG Will Clapp
    4-11 DE Chad Thomas
    4-30 RB Royce Freeman
    6-9 QB Riley Ferguson
    7-9 CB Brandon Facyson
    7-30 WR Jeleel Scott (6’5″ 216 from New Mexico State, have not seen any tape on him)

I am in a lot of pain. The mouth is sore. I have to eat through an NG tube for the rest of the week and I have a drain in my neck so Hulk is grumpy

I hope to be discharged on Saturday but nothing official yet

Cap means virtually nothing. That said, I think Landry is gone. He will sign the tag (already said he was fine with the tag) and they will trade him, probably during the combine next week. The real question is what can they get for him. All kinds of scenarios available. Package Landry and R1P11 to move up for someone they want, late 1st round/early 2nd round straight up, picks and a player…it’s all possible.

I find it interesting that there was great consternation not long ago about the possibility of letting him walk with no compensation other than a compensatory pick next year, yet now there is consternation that they applied the tag. This front office can do no right for some people.

I was surprised they put the tag on (and was against), but as sure as you that it means he will get traded. $15 mil is a real nice incentive to stay. And if he thinks he can show it, then FA (including re-signing with the Phins) would be there for him after next season. Landry at this point is going to have to agree to whatever team he is traded too…..he will insist on a long-term contract, and he might not like the numbers offered.

pheloniusphish says:
    February 21, 2018 at 11:55 am
    Cap means virtually nothing…
    ——–
    Oh, but it DOES! This isn’t MLB, ya know. The fact that the NFL has a hard cap means a LOT.

Rugby players have known this all along….glad science is catching up.
    ——————–
    A German team doctor recommends that his country’s athletes drink a beer directly after competing. Johannes Scherr, a doctor for the German ski team, believes that his athletes should drink up early and often. Scherr finds that a beer consumed after physical activity is more rejuvenating than water or a sports drink.

There’s a scientific reason behind Team Germany showing up to the Winter Olympics with about 3,500 liters of non-alcoholic beer and 11,000 liters of the regular stuff. With 156 athletes representing Germany in PyeongChang, that works out to 93 liters of beer per person.

M – The cap means nothing. When is the last time a team at the top of the cap was not able to get under it enough to do what ever they wanted? Miami will clear all the space they need, when they need it.

Ken – gotcha – Hang tough man, you’re doing great. Just keep fighting man, and you’ll be home before you know it.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

pheloniusphish says:
    February 21, 2018 at 12:08 pm
    ————
    You just contradicted yourself, my friend… and that’s why the cap means EVERYTHING. Yes,. we’ll find a way to get under the cap… it’s MANDATED.

I hope y’all REMEMBER what I’ve been saying for months now… that these might be the signs that the ‘Bank of $uh’ may have been respectfully approached, regarding another restructure.

The cap only means something if it’s hard to get under it, which it isn’t, which is what was Phelon’s point. It’s not a contradiction. Also, it only makes sense to go after members of the team taking up the most cap space and rework numbers. It’s not a hidden secret.

You can rework for sure, but you don’t want to get into future cap hell either. So it is not just about getting the team under the cap this year. Not like we are ready for a real run at it.

Landry’s franchise cap hit is $16,230,000…whatever they do they are gonna have to do something. And looking over the contracts, not a lot of obvious big possible cuts that will lower the cap except TImmons and Thomas. I’d say franchising Landry gave them a whole lot more leverage in negotiating with James though.

sb7mvp says:
    February 21, 2018 at 12:41 pm
    The cap only means something if it’s hard to get under it, which it isn’t…
    ——–
    Oh yeah? No disrespect intended, but I don’t think it’s as easy as you would suppose.

February 21, 2018 at 12:30 pm
    I’d bet Tannehill too. In fact, I’d think they’d approach Tannehill before Suh.
    ————
    AGREED

February 21, 2018 at 12:45 pm
    You can rework for sure, but you don’t want to get into future cap hell either…
    ———–
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

sb7mvp says:
    February 21, 2018 at 12:41 pm
    The cap only means something if it’s hard to get under it, which it isn’t…
    ——–
    _____
    If it is so difficult, how is that teams do it every year?

M and Stanger,
    If anyone was advocating for us to be in future cap hell, I’d like it see it. That’s moving the goal posts of the conversation.

We’ll see if we took a loan out from the ‘Bank of $uh’.

With all respect, think what the cap in years to come looks like plays into most big moves…..whether it be franchising Landry, paying James his 5th year option money, or restructuring Tanny or Suh. And nobody advocates for cap hell, but then not may folks who end up with bad credit card debt say they are for it either.

163. BailBondMike says:

The reasons I pinpointed Cleveland in a trade is they have a butt load of picks, they need proven WR’s badley, and another reason but forgot dammit!

They do have Corey Coleman and Josh Gordon you know. Gordon is a risk, but he’s better than Landry. He may be a top 5 talent in the league. I agree Landry would be a good fit though, because he would be killer in the slot for them, along with Gordon and Coleman. How much they’d be willing to give up though is the question. As someone else mentioned, I think it was Stanger, it’s possible the their first 2nd RD pick might do it.

Phelon,

Look… IF Jarvis Landry accepts his $16M tag, we’ll be the FIRST team in NFL history to have 3 players costing us $16M (Suh, Tannehill, and Landry).

I’m not here to disrespect ya, I’m just sayin’, man.

And YES, the salary cap DOES MATTER!

Hey look kids, Big Ben… Parliament….

NEW BLOG UP!

I don’t understand how this blog is functioning lately. The new blog shows as “published”, yet it’s not showing at the header as being there, and if I just go to our website, The Royce Freeman article shows up instead. I just don’t comprehend what’s changed.

Probably need to make it sticky

Actually, no – Making it sticky is what was stringing all the articles together as one last time. I had to unstick yours in order for the new one to show up. Every time you switch an article to stick on front page, if you keep doing that with every article, they’ll all stick together as if they’re one article.

mf13ss says:
    February 21, 2018 at 9:55 am
    This one upsets me… being we’d not get either of Dallas Goedert or Mike Gesicki!!! 🙂

Yeah, I know. I got carried away with need and forgot my want. Goedert went before we picked in the 2nd round in this mock and Gesicki went somewhere at the end of the 2nd round so I took the best available TE left after taking the two Olinemen.

So what happens if Landry refuses to sign his Tag? Does he have to sit out a year and then become a FA?