2018 Season – Game 1 -Titans @ Dolphins

The day we’ve waited so long to arrive will be here in 3 more days. Yeah, there’s a game on tonight, and may even be a good one, but I’m looking right past it to Sunday, 1PM, Hard Rock Stadium.  This team has made a lot of changes and we will be relying on a lot young players, but if you look at the drafts we had last year and this year, I feel pretty confident.

On the offensive side of the ball, we brought in free agent LG Josh Sitton, I feel that is a clear upgrade.  Returning at LT is Laremy Tunsil, and he will most definitely benefit by playing next to Sitton.  At center, we said goodbye to Mike Pouncey, and traded for SF 49ers C Dan Kilgore.  In theory, it will be nice to have all our starting OL practicing together and hopefully developing a rhythm and a chemistry.  Kilgore will probably be an upgrade run blocking, but Pouncey was good last year pass blocking, and throughout his career, so Kilgore will have to play very well to in that regard.

Gone is the go-to-guy Jarvis Landry who caught over 400 passes in 4 years here in Miami, and in his place will be veteran WR Danny Amendola, as well as rookie TE Mike Gesicki, and WR Albert Wilson.  3 new faces for Tannehill, each with their own particular skill set.  I never loved Amendola, but that guy is a clutch performer, helping the Patriots big time in the playoffs with excellent performances.  Wilson was relatively underused in KC, and my hope is it’s not because he didn’t have the goods, it’s because they had too many weapons in KC with Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce.  Gesicki can be the TE we’ve craved here for too long, at least as far as a receiver, his blocking is a work in progress.  Gesicki brings athletic ability we haven’t had, and he’s a very talented pass catcher.  We’ll also have the oft (minor injured) Devante Parker and Jakeem Grant as well.  Grant will bring excitement, and Parker disappointment, just the way it usually is.

Ryan Tannehill returns from injury as he hasn’t played a regular season game since December 11th of 2016.  Tannehill is acutely aware this is his team now, and if he can elevate his play, the team will come along as well.  This is a great opportunity for him, I hope he makes the most of it.  With Kenyan Drake, Frank Gore and Kalen Ballage, I think he has the tools to succeed.  I think the backs will share a workload, but Kenyan Drake is the primary back.  There won’t be a workhorse among the 3, but Drake is the lead, Gore next, and then Ballage and Senorise Perry.

On defense, we let go a pro-bowl caliber DT, one who played an exorbitant  amount of plays for us, and he will be replaced by the frequent rotation of Jordan Phillips, Davon Godchaux, Akeem Spence and Vincent Taylor, with an occasional sprinkling of  DE William Hayes.  At LB, 2nd YR Rookie Raekwon McMillan returns after missing last season with an ACL injury.  He’s joined by Kiko Alonso and and a combo of Jerome Baker, Stephone Anthony and Chase Allen.  The biggest change is at CB, where Xavien Howard returns at RCB, but opposite him will be Bobby McCain, who was previously the slot and nickel corner.  Depth wise, Cordrea Tankersley, Torry McTyer and rookie Cornell Armstrong round out the CB position.  At safety, a few veterans return in Reshad Jones, T.J. McDonald, Walt Aikens, but they are joined by do it all rookie sensation Minkah Fitzpatrick.  We’re going to see him on the field A LOT!

So on to the game!  Tennessee will be lead by 5th YR QB Marcus Mariota, and the run game led by big back Derrick Henry (Kenyan Drake’s RB mate at ALA), former Patriots RB Dion Lewis, former Dolphins WR Rishard Matthews, 3rd YR WR Corey Davis and veteran TE Delanie Walker.  The Titans like to impose their will with a power run game led by a tough OL with excellent bookends Taylor Lewan and Jack Conklin.  Henry had previously been splitting carries with RB DeMarco Murray, but with Murray out of the picture, Henry will be getting the lion’s share of carries.  We have struggled defending the run, at least in the preseason, so we’ll see if we can hold here at home.

On offense, Devante Parker is OUT, so Albert Wilson will likely replace Parker as wideout.  In the preseason, the offense was a fast pace, no huddle short pass game clinic.  Not sure if that continues in the regular season, or if we’ll be more balanced with more of a rushing attack, and also get the TE’s more involved in the passing game as well.  We have a rookie kicker, and supposedly Jason Sanders has ice running through his veins.  Let’s hope we don’t need to find out!

MIA 30 – TEN 13

1,832 Responses to 2018 Season – Game 1 -Titans @ Dolphins

I hate that saying. “nobody wants it more than he does”

steveccnv says:
    September 10, 2018 at 9:01 pm

That’s a first

Probably why I had such a great time. I walked the whole strip and Every hotel I visited I would tour it, check out the mall or rides, or whatever and on the way out would put 100 down on red, black, first, second, third twelve and won. EVERY TIME except NY NY. I was STUPID lucky the whole time, like a higher (or lower) being was tilting the scale. The house (Houses) could not beat me in BlackJack either. What ever I needed, It came up. I was drunk the whole time as the like to keep you when at the tables and took stupid chances (hit me on 17 and would get a 4)

LISTENED TO THE FINS GAME on 96.1 FM in Ft. Myers on my way home from the game. During the 2nd game delay, Mr. Dan Marino, seated in the press box 1 box over from the radio team, was reported to have said “This is BULL-(BLEEP)!” “We always played through the rain! Of course, we had a commisioner with a pair of (BLEEP), and not the nutless wonder we now have!”
    ————–
    Danny boy, I could not agree with you MORE!!! AT NO TIME did I believe this game should have been halted or delayed!! –I never saw one single lightning bolt, and only 1 or 2 little sounds of thunder marred an otherwise decent weather day. IT WAS ABSOLUTELY PREPOSTEROUS to delay this game for four hours!!! If they had delayed games like this in the old Orange Bowl, the Dolphins and Hurricanes would NEVER have completed their seasons! Truth is NO DOLPHINS GAME played in the Orange Bowl was ever delayed for weather, not even the infamous Jets at Dolphins game played in a quagmire for the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP in January of 1983!!! SHAME, SHAME on those PC assholes in New York!! They have pussified the NFL as never before! –So, now, I REALLY WANT TO BEAT THE LIVIN’ SHIT OUT OF THE JETS THIS SUNDAY with Roger Goodell in attendance!!
    ————-
    An hour ago I went exactly a mile away to the store to pick up a few items we needed. Along the way, I saw 4 lightning bolts and experience just a wisp of raindrops (for about 20 seconds). Amazingly, everybody went about their business and nobody called timeout!!

ON THE SERIOUS SIDE, my oldest daughter and her youngest son are leaving central North Carolina tomorrow and headed about 200 miles west to the mountains of Asheville. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill are in Hurricane Florence’s target zone. Catastrophic damage is a real possibility. I hope all your relatives and friends are safe from this monster hurricane!

Fuck. I am going to have to listen to smug Jet fans all day tomorrow

Let them be smug. That will make it that much more fun when they crash and burn. I’m hoping it’s just that the Lions suck, I guess we’ll see what happens from here.

OMG how much are they paying Stafford?

!#?% page turn

As some have already stated, it’s very difficult to gauge where we’re at after yesterday’s circus: wet balls, soggy field, and 7 hours.

However… Reshad is a funkin’ STUD and Minkah looked VERY good. What’s more, Stills is a STUD, Jakeem is a dream, and Albert Wilson is looking NICE.

Our O-Line looked fairly good. That’s difficult to judge in the rain, as their pass-rushers couldn’t turn on a dime… and nor could ours.

Lots of good to build upon, lots of bad to not repeat. We took the win, and that’s all that matters after game 1.

Funk… these stej look to be for REAL right now this Monday night: we’d better bring our ‘A’ game this Sunday.

Jets are having their way with the Lions who look horrible.

9. naplesfan2010 says:

I guess it’s safe to say Patricia is not a quarterback whisperer.

Naples, I’m in Vegas.

• naplesfan2010 says:

very cool …sorry we are only there for such a short stay. We have my wife’s niece’s wedding in Denver Friday night, so as long as we were in the neighborhood, we thought we would catch a show in Vegas on Saturday night. We have never been there before.

11. naplesfan2010 says:

Jets are scoring every way possible. 48 points in 3 quarters.
    Safford 4 INTs.

September 10, 2018 at 9:54 pm
    And with that the Lions are done playing now.
    ————-
    Stick a fork in ’em. This game is FUGLY.

Matt Patricia had entered the Lions’ job as embroiled. This lopsided loss is only going to pour gas on the fire for Lions fans.

14. naplesfan2010 says:

Steve–
    I thought, you know, they are both, out there, you know, out … west.
    I forgot how huge those states are out there.
    Anyway, we are flying From Denver to Vegas Saturday morning and back here Monday about noon.

———-
    WOAH!!!

• naplesfan2010 says:

what he does is not transferable because he makes it up as he goes … only another genius could do that. There’s no formula, nothing to replicate. He changes for every opponent. He morphs to maximize whatever personnel he has on hand.

17. naplesfan2010 says:

Steve we are staying at the Venetian. I guess we will walk to a couple other casinos on Sunday to sight see and try to find a very fine restaurant and a fun show for Sunday evening.

Theres an Italian Restaurant called Bautista’s, right behind the Flamingo. For steak there’s several Brazilian steak houses all you can eat. In Fashion Show Mall there’s a Benihana smaller portions at lunch for under $20. New York New York has a deli with huge Pastrami and Brisket sandwiches about $12. On Sahara there’s a steak house just west of the strip fine dining called Golden Steer that has rave reviews.

18. naplesfan2010 says:

In his last 2 games, Patricia’s defenses have given up an average of 44.5 ppg.

Capt Stubbs I approved your post your posts will show up now. Sorry we missed you buddy but first time posts have to be approved so we won’t get spammed constantly.
    I hope you see this, been a long time great to see you around.

Cap’n Stubbs??? Welcome back man! Hope you get back on here soon, Glad Sonny caught your post and approved it. Been a crazy busy weekend for me, haven’t had time to look.

NY Jets look tough! This next game will be a true test of the state of this team

23. Rhino says:

Our next two opponents played games last night. We know the Jets D is gonna be solid, which leaves the question mark of an offense with rookie QB. The Lions dismantled their defense the last few years. I think the Titans are a better team than the Jets, but division games are always tough.
    Nevertheless, I think Detroit is really bad.

On the other hand, the Raiders will be better than they looked cuz they played a REALLY good team in the Rams. I’m glad they have to make an east coast trip cuz Raiders struggle in those games.

I think the next two games are significantly winnable but we’re definitely gonna have to be better on 3rd down conversions! (and maybe give Gore the ball 3 or 4 more times) 😉

Seems like a lot is being made of two holding calls by James and one by Tunisl. Tunsil also had a false start. I dont really see that as bad. Holding calls are going to happen, though i think the big deal on Tunsils was that he got beat really bad on an inside move which led to him reaching out to grab the guy. James’ were much less flagrant and depending on the ref crew oe of those might not have even been called. The OL played way more disciplined than last year and overall hats a very minor number of penalties, perfection is not going to happen, they just need to strive for it. Sitton had a hold too but i think that was just a product of having to hold his block too long and having Tanny move his position in the pocket. Again, forgivable, just needs to be cleaned up. I really didnt see much to complain about as far as protection goes.

The one sack was a empty backfield situation, and its possible that Gesicki could have rubbed that guy when he released outon his route, but i dont think that was how the play was drawn up, so they just caught us in a call that was perfect for that blitz.

Im probably as impressed with this OL unit and their play yesterday, even through multiple long delays, as i am any other aspect of the game. This unit should hold up well, even against the Jet DL, but that definately will be a good test of how good they really are.

The Jets still don’t have an outside pass rush. They’re good inside and as a whole they play a physical brand of defense. The biggest thing last night was Stafford looked like the rookie QB. He was awful.

It wasn’t so much the Lipns defense playing awful as it was Stafford just didn’t look like he knew what he was doing. He threw 4 picks one for a TD and Cassel threw one. When you throw 5 picks the score is usually going to be lopsided. However the Jets did look good and also had a punt return for a TD and a long TD run. As the game went on I’m sure the entire Lions team was simply demoralized and had nothing left.

As we’ve all said before week 1 can be a weird week. I do not expect the Jets to do anything close to that every week. I remember in 1995 in our opener we beat the Jets 52-14 and we looked great starting off 4-0 but finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

September 11, 2018 at 9:10 am

They sure looked good, but not sure how much of it was Lions looking so bad.
    ———————————————
    Id say a chunk of it was how bad the Lions played, but they did come up with the turnovers. I think Stafford was just off though, he threw bad passes, and the defense capitalized. I thought our defense would have come away with roughly the same number of picks if we had played them that game. I think a lot of teams would have done worse, so i guess what im saying is the Jets showed to me that their defense at least will be prepared when we play them. Their offense, i think will need to play a lot better against us to have as good of a result. If we can shut down Crowell and Powell, and make Darnold throw i think we do pretty well.

People I know who are Jets fans are already looking past us and CLE the next couple of games saying I guess our next big test is the JAX in 3 weeks. This is how fandom works. LOL

Glad i didn’t short Nike Stock, it’s higher than it was before the 9-4 fall

Miami went from power ranking 32 to 24 this week, the odd thing about that is they have the titans at 22??? Didn’t we just beat them?

Damn it just struck me its 9/11. I feel like a complete ass for not recognizing it. I hope all the families affected today are continuing to heal from their tragic losses. Its impossible to understand what something like this does to a person and how the anniversary must make their hearts ache. I feel very sorry for their losses even so any years removed from it.

Agreed. It’s a tough day for many personally and America as a whole.

I remember how united this country became after that tragic day and how divided we are today over much more petty shit. Sad!

I didn’t watch the Jets game in it’s entirety, I had a lot of people at my house last night. I thought Stafford looked great until he hurt his leg, he made a few great throws to Golladay, and I thought Marvin Jones Jr. should have had that pass in the end zone. After his leg injury, he was different, and then when he got sandwiched, that was it for him. His play really took a dive after he got hurt though.

I thought with the exception of a few passes he looked off from the get go. He almost threw a few more picks that were dropped and one was caught out of bounds in the endzone.

33. 13kvFINS says:

Anyone note that we started in 2 back set??
    Both (Drake/Gore) got the start!!!

GOFINS!!!

34. drg says:

Victory Monday, er… Tuesday!

What a crazy game…. Seemed pretty much what I was expecting. OL play was a bright spot, IMO. Tennessee has good line play and we held our own. Our run defense was respectable. Tannehill had some good lanes to throw in and looked comfortable back there. The quick pass game was working, but he definitely looked to throw downfield more than preseason. Drake/Gore is a really nice combo. Red zone production was a little disappointing, but that should improve. LBs were very quiet, but having Minkah, Jones, and McDonald on the field is almost like having 3 extra LBs. Tackling better improve though.

Fun game. I’m more optimistic than I was before the game. That’s always a good thing. Hopefully we can stay above or around .500 and be in the playoff hunt.

Run D held up against the Titans….. and yeah lots of that has to do with those safeties. But those DTs were fresh and in place to clog lanes at least. We’ll see what happens when they get a pass artist back there.

We need to scratch and claw and get some wins while this team gels more. I feel this team barring catastrophic injuries will improve as the year goes on.

Least on one site, Phins were 1.5 favorites versus the Jets before last night’s game. Now they are 3 point dogs (no offense to our favorite canine).

I didn’t realize Durham Smythe changed his # to 81 from 46 which he wore all offseason.

So, the Dolphins are still listed at the top of the NFCE (tied with NE, but M comes before N) Jets have a much better net points, but their win was non conference so it doesn’t count as much.

Miami STILL in first place….

😉

Hopefully we can stay above or around .500 and be in the playoff hunt.

I’m hoping we stay ABOVE 500 for the remainder of the year.

Todd Bowles has a big challenge this week keeping his team even keeled after a win like that. That’s the kind of game where players can get cocky and get a little high on themselves.

Taylor had 3 tackles one assist, Godchaux had 2 tackles one assist, Spence had two tackles two assists and Jordan had one assist.

Only ONE game but that puts EACH of the top 3 on track to have more tackles in a year than Suh had last year.

I want to see the stadium emptying in the third quarter next week, except for the see of orange and white where the takeover is seated.

I was just looking at some stats from week one and Ryan Fitzpatrick’s numbers jump off the screen.

He was tied for 3rd in accuracy with 75% completions, but his average was 5.1 yards more than the next closest guy at 14.9 yards per attempt.

his 417 yards passing and 156.2 passer rating are outstanding and his 4 TD were tied for most in the league. You think Jamesis will be allowed back as starter by the team when he is allowed by the league?

Dolphins/Jets games are notoriously unpredictable.

Based on history….only one way it turns out if you, Pig, Mike E, Brian NY, Hulk, Ken’s friend and I show up. And that is Rock’s way.

when they name a street after me, that’s what I want it to be called.

Rock’s Way.

For a few years we’d beat them in their building and they’d beat us in ours. Then you have all the crazy games these two teams have played – high scoring shootouts, blow outs etc.

Drew Brees had an outstanding 82.2% completion percentage and 439 total yards but completed the passes at 5.1 yards per each average less than Fitzpatrick.

Also Fitz was not sacked all game.

OK, I am ready to make my prediction for this Sunday

17-12 Miami

Where the heck is Howie???

Weekly predictions: Reply below
    Rock – 17-12 Mia

This is what a play-action pocket should look like.

Mike Hull has been our back up long snapper. He is injured.

Rockphin says:
    September 11, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Also Fitz was not sacked all game.
    ————————————————-
    Fitz has it in him to look elite, he can hurt you if you give him anything to work with, he just cant do it consistently and he can be really messed up by complex defenses. Im only a little surprised by how well he played. I wouldnt be surprised if next week he had 5 INTs either.

Rockphin says:
    September 11, 2018 at 2:36 pm

———————————————————-
    IMO i would ride the hot hand, if he is still doing it when Jameis gets back and i believe thats game 4, then i would keep going with Fitz. I think though the team is going to go back to Jameis as soon as he is back.

Rockphin says:
    September 11, 2018 at 2:27 pm

yes American Football Conference. Brain fart or fingers typing faster than brain….Ok, it was a brain fart. LOL
    ——————————————–
    Its ok to admit you didnt know, our QB didnt know either….:)

————————————————————–
    Damn that would be a pretty scary experience.

If you were going to choose a Dolphins WR in FF who would you pickup? I know after this past week Stills jumps out at you but for the long run who would you choose? I drafted Albert Wilson late in my draft but I’m looking to upgrade the position for depth. I was choosing between Stills and Wilson and chose Wilson because they also want to use him as a rusher at times. Not sure I want two Dolphins WRs on my roster and have to choose between them when needed though.

I would take Stills, not just because of this past week, but he’s the big play guy, although if it’s a PPR, he’s not going to usually get a lot of catches.

I still think Stills is the better option. Amendola might have some +’s in a ppr league because i think he is going to get open a lot. Wilson is probably going to get a lot of dual points because he is going to be involved in the running game at times too and maybe even passing yards out of WC and direct snap formations.

I dont really think you can go wrong, but i also dont think an any given day you are going to know which guy is going to be the hot hand. The thing with us spreading the ball around that helps our offense be better is going to hurt any WR’s value. I remember i use to have that issue with GB’s WR’s because even Nelson wasn’t a great receiver because of how much the ball was being spread around to Cobb and i think James was the other guy then.

The more successful we are in this offense the worse our WR’s are going to be for fantasy numbers.

I had that problem with GB too. James Jones, and even further back Donald Driver

Greg Jennings too

Nelson was actually dominant for a few years and I have him on my team now because he was handpicked by Gruden in his WC offense which is what Nelson has played in his entire career. None of the OAK WRs did much in the game last night against a good LAR defense. Jared Cook feasted at TE but that might be by far his best game of the year. FF owners tend to jump quickly on the early game feast production only to release them weeks later. LOL

I’m going to wait another week or two to see some consistency.

Thanks for the input guys. I’m not in PPR league so catches don’t mean anything, yards and scores only.

My issue is we may see Wilson have a game like Stills from time to time so maybe I just stay put. Stills is a feast or famine guy but he’s always a threat to take one to the house as we’ve seen since he’s been here. Not sure what Wilson will ultimately be for us yet but he’s got the speed to take one to the house as well.

But I agree with the spreading it around concept with us so no one guy is going to consistently be the guy.

57. naplesfan2010 says:

Steve thank you very much for the list of places to eat in Vegas above. I’m getting excited to be there. It’ll be a really amazing city I am sure.

58. naplesfan2010 says:

Rockphin … LOL … that is probably how we’ll be … just walking around in awe. Also I copied down your winning strategies for roulette.

I wonder if Parker will be ready for NY?

60. naplesfan2010 says:

I read somewhere that Smythe centered for a punt against Tennessee.

61. naplesfan2010 says:

I actually think we won that game better than the score indicated.

We should have but we had our lost opportunities and need to clean some stuff up.

Take the win and move onto the next week.

Wow, Hurricane Florence is getting ready to slam the Carolinas! Cat 4 140mph, you don’t want to be anywhere near this event, those coastal cities will get hammered with a surge of water! it looks as if this will be catastrophic.

63. 13kvFINS says:

Patrick put up an interesting history on Miami’s battles with
    Mrs Mother Nature

Try to Link Below

Okay I dropped Jordy Nelson and picked up Stills because I have a half a season to figure out who is what. All of my bye weeks at WR/TE are week 8 and later. I doubt anyone is tripping over themselves to pick up Nelson, they weren’t during the draft either. Plenty of time to work that out. My gut kept telling me go get Stills. LOL

65. naplesfan2010 says:

even ESPN has to admit it.

66. naplesfan2010 says:

plus the Raiders are sniffing for a long snapper after they lost their guy,
    not sure of the rules but certainly we like Gravelle and if he is on our PS then it would make the Raiders have to poach him and gives him the idea that we want him and I think we wold promote him to the 53 rather than lose him and be forced to get sme guy off his sofa.

67. naplesfan2010 says:

Hurricane Florence will hit Florence SC.
    I am worried for all my friends in Charleston and throughout NC.
    My son who lives in Charlotte now will be at the wedding with us in Denver.
    I hope he has a house left to go home to.

They say the storm is likely to stall right on the coast and move slowly thus dumping huge tons of rain on the whole area. Watch out for mudslides in the mountains.

68. naplesfan2010 says:

patsies* sign Corey Coleman. Dammit.

He seems to have injury issues.

• naplesfan2010 says:

and he could not learn the Buffalo playbook, so they cut him even though it cost him $3.5M against teh cap.

Still he is very athletic and sometimes that is all Tommy needs for one or two game- clinching plays.

Also I copied down your winning strategies for roulette.

I don’t know if you can call randomly picking where to put your $100 bet based upon a feeling when you walk up to the table a strategy, but it was in incredible streak of luck. After the 3rd time my buddy copied what ever I did.

70. 13kvFINS says:

Malveaux would a been the last PS guy that have cut for LS Gravelle.

Think he has a ton of star potential in him down to road

CWake 36

In Brass I Trust,
    But (for an emergency BU LS Rookie),
    Gotta be a lesser talent than Malveauxt on the PS,
    (No Matter Position)

Ohh Well..

• naplesfan2010 says:

maybe no other teams have expressed interest in him, so they feel he is safe … plus we are very deep at his position.

We already released the RB off the PS so as to keep S Mo Smith.

If he was that good he’d be on the 53.

• 13kvFINS says:

Just think he’s probably better than most others on PS,

Future 53 guy

But then he can be poached of the PS anyways,
        and if taken from the PS,
        He becomes someone else’s 53 guy,
        and harder to reacquire..

As it is he can be picks up for a PS,
        and perhaps comes back via our 53
        (If something crazy happens at DL)…

Maybe this type of move with Malveaux makes it more possible for his potential return,
        even though he might have never left minus the need of an LS at this moment,

but still, gotta be a lesser talent than Malveaux still on our PS..

Whatever though, I just liked him a lot,
        and bet we could use him come o19
        Cuz of Wake, Hayes age, Branch $$$,
        and Jordon Phillips contract year etc..

This day had DRAMATICALLY changed me, 17 years ago. I so LOVE that I’ve changed (the day I became a MAN), but this day brings me SO much sorrow and anguish on a great many levels.

RIP to the dead and gone, HELP all of those who have been physically maimed (and STILL dying) by the tragic event, and may the Lord comfort the countless many who have lost loved ones. 😢

Back to football for me, now.

Bro, there is nothing wrong with saying this here. I just posted the same sentiment on FB to my family and friends.

Thank you, Bro. I just don’t want to get all sad and gloomy here on the blog.

This is a personally sad and tragic date for many and all of us as Americans. Never forget! Thank you for posting what you said.

This is what someone I do not know posted in reply to a friend of mine.
        “And we didn’t care if we were liberal, conservative, straight, gay, black, brown, or white. We were Americans. We ARE Americans. I wish we would all remember that and come together once and for all. We live in the greatest country in the world.”

72. naplesfan2010 says:

On this day in 2001,
    I was locked in a high rise hotel in Tampa overlooking the Bay when the planes hit the Towers. I had been sequestered there with a small team of about a dozen under tight security while doing a job for Gov. Jeb Bush. We had already not been allowed any communication with the outside except for 2 hours 7-9PM. And that under scrutiny on their devices. Then the planes hit the Towers and the Pentagon.

We were all taken into one room and given a cable news feed minutes after the first one hit and watched the second one hit live. We were unable to communicate with our families. They knew we were in a high rise working for Gov. Bush near where President Bush was on the ground. After George got airborne, they let us send one supervised text which our wives were to use to let everyone else know we had not been hit. I thought that was a bit much, but our security people (who were watching us as well as watching over us) were very cautious given the extraordinary events.

We were fed and locked in for the night. For the next 3 days we worked while that TV with the news was kept on in the room with us..A couple days later, a hurricane sept past Naples sending my children and wife into a bathtub in the middle of the house, unable to call me. It then hit Tampa, and the Bay rose up and flooded our hotel, shorting out the elevators and putting us on standby generator with reduced power available only for necessities, which did not include AC nor TV. We were informed that we would be dismissed a day early, but that no airplane service had been restored as of yet. I offered to load 3 other people into my car and take them to various spots around Florida south of Tampa because they had no transportation. I had driven up because i like to drive.

All in all it was a horrendous week, but of course nothing like what those unfortunate people in NY and DC and PA went through. I turned 50 six weeks later, thinking hard about my half century which included the Korean War, the race riots, Viet Nam, the assassinations, Desert Storm, and the general international turmoil which had dominated my life.

We were reconvened to finish that particular job a month later in Orlando and 3 months later in Jacksonville.

73. naplesfan2010 says:

ESPN moved us up from 32 to 24.
    sheesh

What was it… like 2-3 weeks after 9/11/01 before the liberal media and late-night libs decided to fork GWB?

I realize we couldn’t live in the moment of UNITY forever… but there is NO stopping political fervor. Hey, “Don’t let a crisis go to waste”, right, Rahm Emanuel? SMH

• naplesfan2010 says:

What did they say?

How can you not realize you’re talking out of both sides of your mouth here?
      You take a dig at liberals, then talk about no stopping political fervor and the spirit of unity.

Then you follow it with ‘don’t want to get into a political convo. Then why the &*^% did you bring politics into it in the first place?!

Was it a response to Naples relating his experience, and maybe you thought there were political undertones in his story? I’m honestly trying to understand what’s in your head when you do this.

My God, can’t we just remember and honor the fallen on this day together as AMERICANS?

What in the actual fuck!

75. naplesfan2010 says:

Elliot Harrison says we stay the same at 23.

Naples, we ALL know what was said… don’t play ‘stupid’.

I don’t feel like engaging you in a political convo. My broader point was… don’t ya wish we could ALL be as united as we were in the aftermath of 9/11/01? I thought it was GRAND! And I think we ALL felt good about our country, UNITED as one.

• naplesfan2010 says:

Be very careful using the word stupid.

I do not watch late night TV. Don’t watch much TV at all.
      I was and still am asking what you are referring to.
      You brought up a political convo, not me.
      I remember some conspiracy theorists spouting ridiculous ideas, but no one takes them seriously, no matter what politics they seem to support. They are on the lunatic fringe, as are most of the wild rabble rousers out there using any news item to foment strife and make money for themselves and their chosen politician.

I was NOT calling you STUPID, sir… hence, I put it in quotes, as in ‘stupid’. And by my usage of the word PLAYING, it was indicative that you are NOT ‘stupid’.

Yes… in FACT, I was “very careful” in using the word ‘stupid’.

*usage of the word PLAY

Well shit.

Apparently I picked a bad time to check in.

How did that conversation spin out of control so fast?

M13, just going to say this again, liberalism in the true sense of the word is what founded this country. Not authoritarianism which is based on a strict rule of existence. That’s what the founding fathers fought against even during their own hypocrisy when they knew they were engaged in it. That’s what was so profound and ironic about how they set this country up.

If you believe in liberty, live it. If you don’t, what we’re seeing is what you get. Liberty and justice for all is still a fight. The Constitution and the Bill of Rights lays down the law of the land. But it gets violated everyday because some people can’t accept it. Those are the ones who are the offenders.

We all get if you break the law of the land you pay for it. But that’s not always the case and we all know that. Bigotry and racism is still alive in this “free” land. That’s an oxymoron. I know most people know what racism means, do they know what bigotry means? I’m not so sure. Either way, neither is allowed under the Constitution and Bill of Rights. But some people think their view overrides our constitutional freedoms. Those are the ones who are the offenders.

It’s not just the left that you refer to as liberals, bro.

Keys to winning against the Jets:
    1) Score more points than the other team
    2) Don’t have less points than the other team
    3) Make multiple trips into the endzone
    4) Limit the Jets trips to the endzone to a minimal amount as to not surpass the number of times we ender the endzone.

I really feel that if we do these 4 things, we’ll have a good chance of coming out of this game with a victory.

Tim is right about the definition and history of the term liberalism. It is what founded this country. But today the label has been co-opted by, and is conflated with, the far left. The proper term for the far left is socialist, not liberal. “Democratic” Socialism is an euphemism, Socialism by a softer name. And the only way to institute Socialism is through coercion, the antithesis of liberalism.

ROFLMAO!!!

Why hasn’t anyone else come up with this before!!??? BRILLIANT!

The US has been a socialist country since 1935 people. Social Security is a SOCIALIST policy.

I wouldn’t have it any other way. Straight true Capitalism is an evil as bad or worse than Communism. In a true Capitalist country there would be NO social programs, no medicaid, no medicare. It would be everyone for themselves and we would let our young and elderly die. Vets? Thanks for your service, now fuck off with your injuries. Taking care of your vets is a socialist policy.

One last thing. The US is NOT a democracy. It never has been. We are a representative republic. If you do not know the difference look it. up.

My “Liberal” rant is over.

I rarely if ever talk politics on this blog. I will occasionally talk specific social issues. I would bet I come across as a liberal, but I honestly don’t even know what I would ‘categorize’ myself as. A conservative libertarian maybe?

I’m fiscally conservative, and my entire family are staunch republicans. I want small government, fewer welfare programs, less taxes. But on social issues, I find I often stand on the left side of the aisle as much as the right. I’m pro gay rights, pro choice, but also pro cop, pro 2nd amendment. I believe the government shouldn’t limit choices, but should protect against discrimination.

Everybody is just so polarized, and there doesn’t seem to be any middle ground which is where I usually find myself. It feels like constant head bashing against a brick wall.

Kong – Polarized is the key word, and labels or categories that try to fit people like yourself, myself and many others into a much broader category, such as liberal, conservative is the big issue. Somehow, we’re basically forced to pick LEFT or RIGHT, CONSERVATIVE or LIBERAL, DEMOCRAT or REPUBLICAN. If a true 3rd or even a 3rd and 4th parties existed, that would make this less so. Like you, am more on one side for certain issues, but in general, I think I’m more moderate, because I’m on both sides. If I had to pick a label for myself I would probably pick conservative, but that doesn’t accurately define me across the board.

Good post, Mike. You describe how I feel when you talk about being forced into a category. And I am still LOLing about your ‘robust conservative laugh’ post from about a month ago. It was perfect satire.

Id be happy if they completely removed the words and the concepts of liberal and conservative from the dictionary and any sort of political journals recorded from the beginning of time.

A major reason we are at odds with one another is the simple fact we take every opportunity to label ourselves and segregate our beliefs. In some ways its one of the things about religion that has made me not favor organized religion and opt for a more personal relationship and faith. Democrat, republican, catholic, jewish, muslim, black, white, gay, straight, do any of these help us understand the ones who have a different label, no they just make us continue to see our differences and not our similarities.

I think thats the big deal behind religion, public service, and the forwarding of civilization is to start seeing everyone as human beings, which is our unifying similarity, and start doing whats best for humans, and not liberal or conservative. Can only make one side happy when you do that shit, you make everyone happy when stop it.

Im just so damn tired of the shit going on, which looks like a completely hopeless mess headed for one of those reset button kind of finishes that eventually will right the system, but comes at a HUGE cost.

• sb7mvp says:

The problem is that there aren’t a whole lot of adults left in this world. They began to fade out four decades ago. It’s world full of old children.

D — not that came up with the concept, but people got along better when there was just Walter Cronkite giving the news and they went from there instead of isolated silos that create their own truth. We are in the age where Alex Jones says Sandy Hook never happened and many of thousands of his followers believe it.

If Mike E was running to be mayor of my town….I would vote for him. Cause exactly how I feel. Had some inside looks on politicians and the ones I respected the most were the ones who just wanted to solve problems. The ones who had simple integrity.

Show me an elected politician who goes against his party stance on an issue and that is one I respect, even if his stance is not what was hoping for. Simple integrity. It’s the fanatics on the fringes from both sides and the patsies that do not get my respect.

Stanger,
    are you trying to say that if this country would just have the Fest every year that things would get better?

But like SB7 stated above, if DeVante isn’t 100%, he’s a liability… as we saw last year (and even before last year). Let the guy heal up so that he ISN’T a liability. I see no harm in keeping him out for another week or two.

Regarding Parker: It would be really nice to have that big, fast matchup problem creating WR that defenses have to account for to pair with all the quick and fast smaller guys. Gesicki may end up filling that roll, but I think he’s got a learning curve before he really starts impacting games (if ever).

Parker has all the talent, he just can’t seem to put it all together for more than glimpses at a time. If he can ever live up to that potential, our WR group will have every tool in the toolbox, and we should be a matchup nightmare every single game.

Those Parker highlights are basically from the same 4 games when he was healthy. Schad’s not being intellectually honest, but then again I’m not seeing who’s he’s arguing against. If it’s twitter, I can only imagine.

This Offense of ours, as currently constituted with diminutive receivers, strangely reminds me of Hawaii’s Offense in 2007 under June Jones with Colt Brennan. Small, but FAST. Short-mid patterns, with YAC ability. Shotgun formation most of the time, generally a spread Offense. And when they ran, they were able to gain YUGE yardage (if not stuffed at the LOS, that is).

The NFL has certainly become the NCAA of a decade ago.

I refer to the labels as tribalism. I believe in individual thought.

I don’t like that progressive socialists stole the word liberal. But they’re getting real close to finally admitting that they’re socialist. That’s no longer a bad word and they’re about to have a party about it.

I agree with Rock though, this country has been engaged in socialist policies for quite some time. The word in itself isn’t a bad thing. But if the government is in control of all business and commerce, that’s when I have a problem. But all politics are made up of people. Sometimes each side treats the other as if they are aliens. LOL

NEW BLOG UP!!

Good conversation here though, keep that up! Stanger, thanks for the vote man, appreciate that, but I can’t be a politician. My dad was very active in politics, it’s brutal. Too much stress for me man, it would kill me.

I guess my opinion on using Parker this weekend comes down to how the coaches feel about the matchups. Perhaps a 75% Parker matches up better against the Yets than a 100% grAnt? (not saying he does, but MAYBE he does) I’ll leave that to the coaches. If he shows he can catch the ball consistently this week with the glove on, PLAY HIM! He is a better option (in the traditional sense for an outside WR) than Grant, although there is definitely a time and place to substitute grant as the X too.