Honestly, considering how bad our run game has been all season long, including this game against the Eagles, it’s astonishing that we were able to put up 409 yards of offense on the Eagles defense. Ryan Fitzpatrick trusted his big guys, but no one was bigger on Sunday than 5th year WR DeVante Parker. The 6’3 216 Parker looked liked an All Pro receiver, snaring everything thrown his way, and most of those were difficult, acrobatic catches where he had to not only aggressively go up to get the ball but twist his body in order to do so. It seemed liked every catch topped the previous one. Fitzpatrick challenged the Eagles secondary up top all day and Parker and Gesicki rewarded him for doing so.

I can’t stress enough how impressive the Dolphins air attack was. The Dolphins had only 17 rushing attempts for 56 yards yet Fitzpatrick managed to assault the Eagles with 365 yards passing. If you take into consideration that WR Albert Wilson broke off a 28 yard run, that leaves 28 yards on 16 attempts. All this happening after Fitzpatrick’s first pass of the game was intercepted. It was such a pleasure to watch too, such a rarity here in Miami for us to see. Wentz wasn’t bad, but Fitzgerald was just better. His receivers were a lot better. Not to leave out Gesicki who also made some nice catches, he finished with 5 catches for 79 yards and a TD. That’s 2 TD’s in 2 games after not managing a TD catch in 26 games. He’s emerging for real. Even Albert Wilson got involved, and although he’s not the player he was last year, he looked closer than he has since the injury.

Going forward this year and next, WR is definitely not a priority. Parker and Hurns make a nice duo and don’t forget that Preston Williams will be back next season too. At the skill positions, I think RB is a greater need than WR. We’ll need some depth at TE as well but the Dolphins could use a bellcow RB for sure. It’s been a long time since we’ve had one, and nothing helps a QB like a strong rushing attack. Just look at Tennessee and Ryan Tannehill for proof of that. He did well when Ajayi was a threat and now he’s taking it to another level with the Titans. I would expect us to find that RB in rounds 2-4. I’d be very surprised if we have any interest in any of the FA RB’s like Melvin Gordon, Derrick Henry or Kareem Hunt. I think we’ll find our guy in the draft.

Back to Gesicki. He now has 36 catches for 401 yards and 2 TD’s. It’s not inconceivable that he finishes the season with 50 catches for close to 600 yards and maybe 5 TD’s. That’s a nice jump from last year and a great sign going forward. Durham Smythe is still under contract next season but depth is definitely needed. As far as the O-line is concerned, seems to me that Deiter and Calhoun are keepers that are developing and at worst, Calhoun is a nice depth player who will compete for a starting job. We need to upgrade the tackles and get younger at center, find our new leader on the O-line for the next decade.

It’s clear that Flores has his guys playing hard. Look at Eric Rowe who has done everything his coaches have asked, from playing CB to safety to nickel LB. Sound familiar? One guy whines and gets shipped out of town and this guy gets rewarded and gets himself a nice new 3 year contract. Good for him. Team player, not like MEnkah Fitzpatrick, better known as Minkah the Mutinous. Things work out, which is why it was so frustrating to me that MTM bailed so early. BTW, MTM costs us over $5M dead cap next year. Anyway, happy for Rowe and it’s a good story.

GO DOLPHINS!!!

#staythecourse

327 Responses to Dolphins offense erupts and Dolphins defeat Eagles 37-31 in the aqua throwback unis

I would like this one!
    4: R1P4 OT ANDREW THOMAS GEORGIA
    22: R1P22 QB TUA TAGOVAILOA ALABAMA
    23: R1P23 C TYLER BIADASZ WISCONSIN
    36: R2P4 EDGE YETUR GROSS-MATOS PENN STATE
    60: R2P28 RB JK DOBBINS OHIO STATE
    68: R3P4 CB DAMON ARNETTE OHIO STATE
    144: R4P38 S RICHARD LECOUNTE GEORGIA

Bingo!

I generally agree

But if we win 3 of the next 4 against those weak opponents, we are going to fall to the 10ish area

And if we lose against those weak teams it won’t bode well for culture either

I would rather win and end up picking a little later
      But I can’t imagine Dolphin twitter – people are going to have to accept that we aren’t tanking and never were and we just stripped down the roster to build a better future

Winning is the best course. Whatever happens in the draft happens. It will work out. There are always good players available no matter where we pick.

This coaching staff is showing they can develop players. I don’t really care where they pick. Winning is always best.

I doubt we see a bell cow RB. More likely to be role players/specialists a la New England.

“Dolphins offense erupts” did you ever think you’d put that in a headline this year Mike E? 🙂

And we beat them with the only turnover the one at the very end, which means we just flat out beat them. That one must have been a fun one to write…. know a lot of others have no t been.

8. Philip Bijeau says:

Thanks, stangerx! Okay, Oline improvement would give any qb time to work, though the Dolphins will probably nab a qb at some point in the next draft. Ballage is done, like what I see from Laird and Gaskins. Dolphins still need a bruiser rb.

Ain’t Laird a prototypical Pats kind of RB? But yeah we will need more.

Wouldn’t count Ballage out quite yet though….. once he starts steam rolling he makes little DBs scared. Problem is getting him up to speed. Might work well with a big hole. All RBs do, but particularly him. No so different from how Rosen might do well with a beefed up OL, but Fitz far better behind the one we have now.

• Philip Bijeau says:

Man, it’s great to talk Dolphins again! Was on the ill-fated dolphinshout for years as canamdolphin. Looking forward to expounding/commenting/being an ass here!

Being an ass will make you fit right in. The talk veers from the Phins a lot of times though. A lot of this group has been together so long like a group of guys watching a Phins game at a bar. Sometimes the talk is other than the Phins.

9. Philip Bijeau says:

And thanks to CavalierKong and wyoming85 for giving me access here!

We need to take at least 1 RB pretty high in the draft!
    Swift, Dobbins, Moss
    We can even pickup another latter if they feel like it.

No shit!

• rich0322 says:

If we are sitting at 4 and Burrow, Young, and Andrew Thomas are gone, I have no problem taking a stud CB with that pick.

I took 3 RBs

RB AJ DILLON
    BOSTON COLLEGE
    238: R7P25
    CB JULIAN BLACKMON
    UTAH

• TryPod says:

I’ve watched quite a bit of Kinlaw. When he’s on, he is a beast. I think sometimes he disappears, though I don’t think that’s entirely his fault. He really doesn’t have any consistent help on the line, and opponents double him pretty frequently.

• rich0322 says:

Yea, Derrick Brown or Kinlaw would be a great pickup. I know everyone wants those guys coming around the corner to sack the QB, but I think constant pressure up the middle can be as effective or even more so.

• Philip Bijeau says:

TFP, like your picks! According to PFF, Dolphins have two quality players on offense, Fitzpatrick and Parker. Also have two on the other side of the ball, RE Jenkins and CB Needham.

Maybe the urgency for a RT is cooling down some?

The Patriots have Sony Michel who is more of a go to guy than anyone we have the roster. They had Dion Lewis and LeGarrette Blount before that. Once you get to the playoffs you need to have that one back you count on for a lot of touches. I know it was supposed to be Ballage but he never panned out. Not sure if Gaskin could be that guy but I think if he was we would have seen him a lot earlier.

Pleasure Can Am! There is no gestapo here, just a bunch of clowns, myself included. Glad you joined us, we never shut up.

17. Phindog says:

Nice write Mike E !!

Doggy – Let me know when you can’t get on, I’ll find someone capable to help. lol

19. BailBondMike says:

It is going to be real interesting to see how quickly these QB’s get sucked up. Originally I thought Tua would fall to the top of the 3rd with all his injuries. Then (I posted about this before this past draft) I looked at all the top QB’s in the league. They all are getting old for the most part. People are looking at the Bengals and us but what about those other teams. Some have drafted a QB but did they draft their QB of the future? Are they still in the market? There could be over 10 teams looking to add a QB using a pick in the first 2 rounds over the next 2 drafts.

I wonder if the NCAA will give them the boot?
    If they don’t the Cali teams will be the new SEC!

21. BailBondMike says:

Mike E., you have to read their faces to figure out where Schumer is. Answer:

He is under the table doing something to Schiff hence the look on his face. Look at Nancy. She is pissed cause Schumer passed her up for Schiif. Hillary, thinks it’s funny cause she knows what it’s like to get tossed aside for someone else. AOC is just discussed by the whole thing.

22. Krishna says:

Do I deserve a beer for commenting on the game that it was fun to watch and Flores and Fitz are developing a winning culture?

Winning is so much better than draft position (tanking). You have to change the culture.

Good recap Mike E and thanks.

Krishna — you always deserve a beer, but particularly on that. Think “hey they got something going on down there” a much better FA sales pitch than “man they got the #2 pick.”

Agree that seems Fitz a part of it too. I’m cool with him staying around, whether as starter or back-up mentor. Actually wondering if he’d like to coach .

My pleasure Krishna – As Stanger just said, you always deserve a beer pal

We’re up to #29 in the ESPN power rankings. Interesting who else is in our neighborhood (check the schedule)
    28 — Yets
    31 — Giants
    32 — Bungles
    ———————————-
    29. Miami Dolphins (3-9)
    Week 13 ranking: 29
    Who’s under fire: Entire offensive line

It will be an offseason of change, and Miami could use its significant draft and monetary resources to upgrade at least three starting spots in the trenches. In fact, the coaching staff and front office might be the only areas that don’t see significant change this offseason. The Dolphins have given up the most sacks in the NFL, and their rushing attack is ranked last. Change is coming, but how many of the current group will be safe? A strong December from a few members of the O-line, such as Michael Deiter and Jesse Davis, could help them remain starters. — Cameron Wolfe

Good write, Mike. I feel the same way about the team now and in the future.

wyoming85 says:
    December 3, 2019 at 9:33 am
    I would like this one!

Tua pick will make me smash stuff

Man it’s to bad we don’t need a WR there are going to be some really good ones!
    But they will push some OL out some!

I thought I recognized that profile picture! Welcome CanamDolphan!

OH we may have the 2020 Tankers?

Welcome Philip Bijeau aka CanamDolphan.

35. ElephantRider says:

#staythecourse

Thanks for the great write up Mike E

36. ElephantRider says:

Welcome Phil B!

My favorite moronic comment by a talking head:

-Just five weeks ago, Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young said the following on ESPN: “What the Miami Dolphins have done this year is put people at risk physically and it’s not right. You can’t be so irresponsible to peoples’ health. It’s not right.”-

Jackhole! lol

• Krishna says:

Thanks for the article. People are noticing and Flores is….staying the course!

Cheers!

It’s been mentioned a few times on the board, but it’s crazy how the national media latched on to the Dolphins to disparage over a bad season. The Bengals have been far worse, the Giants are a mess, as are the Skins and the Jest.

I’ve read nothing in the way of Steve Young’s comments (or any of the others in that article) about any of those teams. I do realize the Tunsil and Minkah trades probably have a lot to do with the shit we’ve taken, but still, I am thoroughly enjoying this serving of crow Flores and his crew is serving up to the media!!!

• Krishna says:

Perfect.

We been neutered!

38. Krishna says:

Please don’t waste a 1st round pick on Tua. We need our entire draft to build the best team we can. Oops. Too many “beers”.

39. ElephantRider says:

I called that pos Steve Young out when he said it. I cannot stomach him and most of those guys anymore. It’s worse than watching the news.

After the QB evaluations from 2 years ago. I’m not trusting any of you on this board to evaluate a QB! 😉

41. Krishna says:

What’s the replacement QB at Alabama that had a stellar performance albeit loss. His stats were similar to Tua. Hmmmmm.

The QB did not lose that game and performance on his part was not the reason for the loss. You have an NFL OL playing against boys. Translating an Alabama QB’s success to the NFL is dubious at best. Whtever happened to McCarron (?).

That’s been my reasoning about Tua, he plays on a team that is loaded and many of their opponents don’t belong on the field with them.

From the article Cav put out: “Even after Sunday’s win, the Dolphins still have a 69.7% chance at picking in the top 5 and a 98.7% chance of doing so in the top 10.” Changed a bit since were the runaway favorite to take Tua at #1 #1.

I actually think there is a fair chance the Jest wipe the floor with us this Sunday. Of course I though the same thing about the Eagles, so what do I know?

I’m assuming the Pets game is a loss. If so, then we get 2 more wins tops and will likely still be picking around 4-7. Maybe even #3 if we only win one of those games. Sounds good to me.

Sanders is the first NFL kicker to catch a TD pass since 1977.

And here is an example of a very similar trick play done horribly wrong (or just defended right).

How great was it to see Saban crying about an unfair trick after getting thoroughly outcoached at the end of the game?

Kong, it wasn’t “it’s” that threw me off, it was “i I’m”. LOL

Krishna

The Alabama QB is Mac Jones

But I don’t think he can whiff the backside of Tua’s pants

His stats aren’t similar
    Notably he threw 2 ints against Auburn
    Tua threw 3 ints all year

When you look at Alabama under Tua, they shifted from a run first offsense to a pass first offense. That’s bc Tua is a unique talent. They benched Jalen Hurts (who transferred) and that’s bc Tua is a unique talent

Sure his injuries are a concern
    But that’s where it ends with me and my concerns

Given Alabama’s offense under anyone other than Tua
    I can’t say Tua was a product of the system he was in

I appreciate that he has a ton of Talent around him but so did Hurts, Coker, McCarron and McElroy. None of those guys were ever discussed in the same class as Tua…for good reason

For my .02 if Tua was healthy he would be the undisputed #1 and the best QB prospect since Luck

His injury may even make us more likely to draft him a little later…which I will celebrate if it happens

When you watch Tua play – you can see the difference.

The question is can he play?

Obviously lot of people feel the way you do. But I often get concerned about some prospects on top teams at different positions. Not just QB or Tua.

Thought just popped into my head. Parker has been one of the healthiest players we have had this year and i both laughed at the thought and simultaneously was like fuck i just jinxed him.

I agree with Piggy-It’s kind of mind boggling to hear anyone talk about any other QB being good if Tua isn’t. I completely agree with the injury aspect and it’s the primary reason I’m not higher on the guy. That is a significant concern. The rest is garbage.

He’s never had below a 68% completion rate for a year. That’s unbelievable. He plays with some amazing talent like Jeudy but so has every great QB in college. QBs are an extension of who they throw to. Lawrence had J Ross catching everything in his vicinity during the championship. Does that mean he’s a ‘product of his system’?

Bama didn’t play garbage last year and they didn’t play garbage this year. Last year they destroyed LSU who was ranked #3 at the time and #7 at the end of the year. They crushed OU before Murray started a come back that was too little too late. No one even competed with them until UGA and Clemson. They beat 3 teams in the top 9 in the final 2018 rankings. Tua has played against top talent since he started playing.

I’d say it’s better for a QB to play with and against NFL caliber players during their career. It helps them adjust quicker. Tua wouldn’t need a ton of time to learn how to adjust. The only real question is if he could physically handle the job. That’s it.

Thanks Tim and ER! #staythecourse

LOL @ the faux Saban tweet

I recall a few of you guys really liking Zach Zenner, or at least drafting him 7000+ times in the 7th RD and getting an “A” lol

Nice article Mike E

Tua has talent and great intangibles. The injury issue is certainly a consideration. I don’t hold it against any player when they play with a lot of other good players. You simply take it into account when you review their play. You can see Tua doing things well that really have nothing to do with other players. He is smart, can read and manipulate defenses, accurate enough, manages the pocket well when he’s healthy, seems to put the ball where it should go. He’s a very talented QB. Yes, he plays with a lot of talent, but he uses it the right way and allows his playmakers to make plays….just what you want your QB to do.
    ***
    I’m not sold on drafting him because I don’t trust his health, but he absolutely has talent and skills. Plus, from all accounts his teammates love him, and he’s a great leader. Somebody will draft him high unless his medical is just a disaster.

I don’t think anyone is saying he’s not talented. Some of us just aren’t sold that he’s a generational franchise QB. That’s all. If we draft him I hope he’s great. 🙂

I almost want to buy an 11 jersey

Hulk, would you like to buy a nice white #42 Clay errr… Laird jersey? 😉

Hulk want Warfield jersey

I have a barely worn Landr…I mean Fitzpatrick jersey for sale too

That’s why I asked for it as a gift. The classic #42 from the 70’s for WRs. Clay took the #42 and was a nice role player for us. I liked the combination of the classic number and an over-achieving player. I’m hoping Laird will give me a few years of that. If he continues to impress and is on the team next year I’ll get the name changed. If not I guess I should just put Warfield on it. Even though it’s the modern jersey, not the classic. We’ll see.

Laird is our next Nick Giaquinto

Agree or no?

• pheloniusphish says:

Nope. LSU should be number one

LSU should definitely be number 1. They destroyed a top 25 team in their last game, they beat both Auburn and Alabama. They should be number 1 right now, but If they beat Georgia convincingly, they should be number without any doubts. I dont care what OSU does to Wisconsin, LSU should be considered number 1.

Ken, Nick Giaquinto is a good comparison but I hope Laird is better than that, at least in this era. 🙂

I still don’t agree with the kneeling!
    But it’s good to see they are still doing positive things also!

Mondo still being a dick I see!

I think I’m going to buy an underground bunker and fill it with ammunition!
    SMMFH

“Money lost is money lost to me.”

No way I would take Tua in the 1st based on injury concerns. And with the money first attitude, might not want him at all.

Can’t blame the guy for thinking about his future. I don’t get his logic on this though. Maybe he could get a bigger first contract if he waits a year, but he’ll also be a year more away from his 2nd contract when the huge cash rolls in unless he busts.

Whats the whole article here, this could be taken out of context. Is it linked above?

So is everyone going to “lose their shit” when this happens?
    Because the odds are pretty good?

It would be disappointing, but thats how i have it pretty much thought out as well.

I was saying that a week or so back, thats my thoughts on how its going to go down, and i picked us to in 4th as well. To me 4th is a wide open spot, i could see us trying to get in to the top 3 by trading up, i can see us trying to trade out of 4, and i can see us staying put.

How i have the players ranked (by value, not weighted by need) the BPA there is going to be Jeudy if thats how it falls, though Tua (with a clean medical at combine) would be roughly the same. Do you take Tua, or Jeudy, or do you trade back. I know a lot of yall like Epenesa, and Gross-Matos (Gross-Matos to me is a better prospect of the two), but i dont have either of them as high a ranked player or even in the same grouping as the other two.

Nope, would not bother me at all.

Wyo – Herbert is the 3rd (now 2nd) ranked QB coming out, so it is the easy pick for the mockers. As I said yesterday, I don’t care who they draft or where they draft them. These coaches appear to know how to get the most out of their players. And I’m not convinced that they will draft a QB early (in the 1st) this year

We could always hope the Bengals take Hurts or Tua?
    Not a very good investment plan though!

I think Herbert is a terrible pick before the 2nd round I’d rather roll the dice with Hurts and see if he can follow Jackson and Murray’s lead. Hurts is more consistent than Herbert, more elusive, and has much more flexibility in his use. He also played very well last year against a great UGA defense. He’s not as explosive as Murray was or as talented as Tua…but still better than Herbert.

Honestly, Tua is just as likely to not enter the draft this year. No one will medically clear him by Jan 20 and no team will guarantee him their pick that early either. I remember several surefire first rounders dropping very far based off medical. If that happens, I would ok with us waiting another year and giving Rosen/ Fitz the nod. This year’s group of QBs is fairly weak without Tua and just ok with him. If Tua stays, we would get Lawrence, Tua, Fields, and probably another option that comes out of nowhere like Burrows did.

68. BailBondMike says:

Wyoming, I think that is how the first 3 picks go. If we do miss on the best QB in the draft, then I want BPA with our first pick and that, by far, is not Herbert. If it were me picking, I take DT Derrick Brown, Auburn or possibly the Iowa DE. Then see what QB’s are there when we pick again. To me, I don’t see much of a difference between Herbert and Eason. Also, I want to draft a QB who has more upside than Rosen. I don’t really see that with those 2. Why spend that first pick on one when you can get the other later. Again, for me, if I miss on Burrow, I’m going BPA and probably target Love later.

I just want for my team to be successful. Whether I think it’s the right pick when they take it or not. (I am on record for not wanting Tua) whoever they take I just want them to work out!

Hell, if they stick with Rosen (again my personal wish is that they had never wasted the 2nd & 5th round picks) I hope he turns into a top 10 guy.

Just build a freakin winner before I get too old to know what the hell is going on.

Do not give up on the plan. Do not move away from the idea of Tua as a Dolphin.

YOU JACK HOLE!!! It was never the plan. It was Armondo fucking Salgero’s plan!

• pheloniusphish says:

The media can’t move on from the tanking narrative, can’t admit that they were wrong.

73. Krishna says:

All I can say Flying Pig is 1-5 yard WR screens that go for TDs and having all the time in the world to throw elevates a completion percentage.

He’s talented, but there are a lot of red flags for me thinking he’s a franchise QB. To be clear, I never said I didn’t think he was good. I just wouldn’t invest a 1st round pick on him, especially now, when we need talent everywhere. I don’t think he moves the needle.

He also appears slight of build and fragile.

JMO.

The tanking narrative Armando sucks on is choking him. Oops.

Tua or Jeudy would be BPA at 4, given that mock possibility with the top three falling like that. If i wanted to get a DL, id trade back a little and pick up a little more draft capital, nd ten take the highest rated DL out of the players on the board. I think id rank them in order of Derrick Brown, Gross-Matos, and then Epenesa.

So we are # 26 on power rankings and I called Sanders as ST POTW as soon as he caught that TD pass. BOOYAH

ROCKPHIN: Like you, I believe Tua is the best QB after Burrow. And Burrow, almost certainly, will be Cincy’s pick with the #1 over all pick. And if Tua’s still available, I believe the Dolphins will take him. But there’s a caveat with this. Miami MUST PROTECT HIM by using TWO HIGH PICKS (late first or 2nd round) that focus on the best O-Linemen available. –In reality, it makes no difference which QB we take. If we DON’T HAVE A DECENT LINE TO PROTECT HIM, our new QB won’t last long in the NFL. Grier and his recent predecessors have barely given lip service to our overwhelming O-Line needs over the last 7-8 years. It’s really been a travesty!!
    —————-
    And, of course, a better O-Line will be good news for our currently pathetic running game, too!! —My serious brush with cancer this year served as a grim reminder of the obvious; my life clock is winding down. DON’T KNOW how many more football seasons I will see. But I will die a happy man IF I live long enough to see one more Dolphins championship season before I die. Right now, that dream seems like it’s a million miles away.
    ————–
    Exactly 20 years ago, the St. Louis football Cardinals had big dreams because they had a new, highly regarded QB named Trent Green. Sadly, Green was seriously injured in, I believe, the last exhibition game. A part time arena league player, and a full time bagboy/clerk named Curt Warner stepped up and took the Cards to a Super Bowl victory which ABSOLUTELY NOBODY SAW COMING once Green went down with a season ending injury. The Cards’ strength in the O-Line was a big factor. But nearly everyone focuses on St. Louis’ “Greatest Show On Turf.” Tua leading the Dolphins to a Super Bowl in 2020 would not be as big a surprise as compared to what the Cards pulled off 20 seasons ago. As someone else said, the NFL is geared to quick turnarounds. However, NO turnaround is likely if you have a lousy offensive line. Me, Mr. Spikes, and some others have been saying this for many, many, years. Young, talented, quarterbacks grab most of the headlines. But a solid O-Line makes championships possible. And, in year #2 of “the plan,” a solid O-Line is an absolute essential!!

PS: When is somebody in the FO going to “SHOW ME A BRAIN” and make the throw-back unis our REGULAR UNIFORMS???
      ————–
      SHOW ME.

OD – The NFL is a pain in the ass with uni regulations. The Dolphins have to apply for the change and then I think they have to wait at least 1 year if the NFL approves it. I agree 100% though, those uni’s are awesome and are light years better than the current pastel colored uni’s.

I won’t lose my shit if we draft Herbert at 4

I will love it

But I will probably lose my shit reading everyone’s reactions

79. ElephantRider says:

Let the Fins become the island of misfits. I’m going to love watching them finally turn other people’s trash into treasures, instead of the other way around.

Man, who do you guys think leads the league in passer rating? Who do you think is #2 in completion percentage (over 50 passes)? How about yards per pass average with 9.1 yds?

You got it. The guy who never could.

81. Krishna says:

Pretty certain, it’s Tannehill. Funny how how having an OL helps.

O-line and a serious rushing attack. He showed us he could do it when Ajayi was a real threat. Problem is, we never duplicated that success after that season when Tanny got hurt.

The Bungles took Tua!
    Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 4: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU (A+)
    Round 1 Pick 22: Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State (A-)
    Round 1 Pick 25: Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado (A)
    Round 2 Pick 4: Calvin Throckmorton, OT, Oregon (B)
    Round 2 Pick 28: Darryl Williams, C/OG, Mississippi State (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 4: JK Dobbins, RB, Ohio State (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 19: Jalen Elliott, FS/SS, Notre Dame (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 21: Julian Blackmon, CB, Utah (A)
    Round 6 Pick 4: Ty Tyler, DE/OLB, Marshall (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 21: Rodney Smith, RB, Minnesota (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 24: Steve Nielsen, OT, Eastern Michigan (A+)

Pretty sure it’s been said here many times before, but I don’t think we’re looking for a team of superstars. I think we want people who are versatile and selfless and are willing to do what the team needs them to do. That doesn’t mean I don’t want Chase Young, but if he’s not available we will find guys that move around and do different things. Of course Belichick has that system down, but he’s not perfect in the draft by any means. He misses a lot. What he’s great at is finding guys that other teams don’t want that he had his eye on in the draft and getting them for peanuts. We’ll see if Grier can recreate NE South, or something like that.

He also moves around in the draft a lot!
      They start out with 10 picks, and end up with 6 players and 12 picks for the next year.

I’d dare say he targets certain players!

Tannehill is good when he doesnt throw much. All the games he threw more than 29 passes he had 3 tds to 3 ints and his passer rating was much lower. IMO the reason for his stats is more Derick Henry’s success than Tanny’s. All the games he had the really high passer rating was ones he threw 22 or fewer passes. In those games Derrick Henry has 149, 159, and 188 yards rushing. Again, no doubt Tanny can get it done when the conditions are right, but it really hasnt changed for him. He is most on when he isn’t needed.

Quick response to a couple different posts. To piggy, i wont really lose my shit over who they take at any position because they know who they want and what value they think they need to get them at to make it worth it. We laughably play like we know these things, but we do not.

To Rock and Mikey. It has never been disputed that when Tanny has the time (which he takes a lot of) he does well, its also never been disputed that he can have streaks where his stats are great. It also cant be argued that he doesn’t do great moving in the pocket to help his OL, nor is it arguable that he can string together a bunch of stinkers. Just like Drake with his one game explosion, a lot of time things settle back down into a very predictable patterns when enough of a sample size is give.

Interesting!

All this talk tannehill
    People always said, when everything is good around he’s good
    And that appears to be true in Tennessee
    But that’s not exactly franchise QB material

I was looking at his stats
    And he’s been sacked 24 times and fumbled 6 times
    That seems like a lot
    Some of those warts are still there

Still big time pocket presence issues

Meanwhile Derrick Henry has over 1100 yards an an avg of 4.9 per carry while Tannehill is getting all the praise

I’m glad he’s having a good season. Had lots of Qs about him as our QB of the future, but never about his character. And he was supposed to be the back-up.

D says:
      December 5, 2019 at 12:06 pm

As I was looking at stats I noticed that Jamies Winston has 20 interceptions and 12 fumbles

Yikes!

I wonder if the Bucs are ready to move on

Yeah he is a really frustrating QB, strong arm, makes some great throws, but others cant find the broad side of a barn. He has a receiver with him, and has his whole career, that would make almost any QB look like a beast. He got Johnny Manziel drafted in the first….
      Jameis is not a guy you can count on to take you to the playoffs consistently, he is a guy who can carry the team to a loss or a win, but game to game you have no clue which it will be.

I remember when UF picked him off 6 times one game in a year we should have got throttled were in it because of him. I knew right then he wasn’t going to be good in the NFL. His throws aren’t good enough for the caliber of coverage the NFL DB’s give and he isn’t as grossly more talented than who he is playing against like he was most the time in college. He’s a less accurate, less gifted, dumber, but more cocky version of Cam Newton, and it was hard for me to even type that out lol, given how bad Cam is in those areas.

And he went #1 #1…… maybe a lesson to us right now as we concentrate on which QB.

Tannehill again? He’s not having a great year. He’s pretty much playing how he’s always played. Last week he threw 22 passes (sacked 6 times and fumbled once) for 180 yards and 2 TDs. Gee, tell me again how that is any kind of special. Meanwhile OUR QB throws for 365 yards, had more completions than Tannehill had attempts and was sacked 3 times with 3 TDs and there’s barely a whisper from the “fans”. If Tannehill played great then Fitzpatrick played…um…super duper great? I’m glad Tannehill is gone. This team went nowhere with him for 7 years. Good riddance. He’s nothing more than an average NFL QB. Hot wife though. Maybe I’m just jealous.

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 4: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU (A+)
    Round 1 Pick 22: Grant Delpit, FS/SS, LSU (A)
    Round 1 Pick 25: Tyler Biadasz, C, Wisconsin (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 4: Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 28: JK Dobbins, RB, Ohio State (A)
    Round 3 Pick 4: Trey Smith, OT/OG, Tennessee (A)
    Round 4 Pick 19: Parker Braun, OG, Texas (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 21: Carter Coughlin, DE/OLB, Minnesota (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 4: Julian Blackmon, CB, Utah (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 21: Bradlee Anae, DE/OLB, Utah (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 24: Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor (A+)

90. Krishna says:

I am definitely on record saying after the last game that Flores and Fitzpatrick are creating a winning culture and the game was fun to watch.

I don’t think you can give greater praise.

91. ElephantRider says:

What did the Titans do with Mariota at QB??

That’s why RT17 is getting the praise. It’s not rocket science.

The titans have been a 9-7 team the last few years and basically competing for a wildcard spot

That’s pretty much who they are under Tannehill

Derrick Henry should be getting the praise. That guy is balling. Tannehill is just along for the ride. And, he was sacked 6 times. So, either his OL actually sucks….or Tannehill sucks in the pocket. One guess as to which it is. Lol
    ***
    Wins aren’t QB stats. People around here decided that when Tannehill was here and we were losing because we couldn’t blame the QB.

No one is saying Tannehill is playing great. He’s playing well enough to win though. He’s playing winning football with a strong run game. If someone shuts down the run game and puts it all on Tannehill, he won’t do as well. That’s why what Fitzgerald did last week so impressive. No threat of a run game at all and yet he shredded that Philly defense which wasn’t too bad up until that game.

93. Krishna says:

Not everyone here, because he certainly had his share of bad games. However, he also had his share of comebacks (more so, I would guess) leaving too much time on the clock, like 45 seconds for Manning to beat them. It happened way too many times.

Funny still seeing Tannehill debates. LOL

I think the debate is more about hindsight. People want to see an ex-player doing good for a game or two and some how loop back around and say, well if we knew what we were doing he would have miraculously been this good the whole time with us, and its just not facts. When shit starts happening and that person comes down off his momentary high its all back to “nothing to see here”.

I could feel Randy’s disdain when people laud Tannehill. LOL

Titans are fighting for the division against the Texans and for the WC against the Steelers.
    We are all Tanny fans now!

Some guy on the Phinsider posted an “article” about how the reason the dolphins are stuck in mediocrity for last decade was not because of a “culture problem” but because the front office tried to prop up Tannehill by only drafting offensive players. I can’t log into the site to call him out so I am venting my spleen here; ignore if you want because it is a response to someone who will never read it. (it’ll just make me feel better.)

He is wrong of course. Since 2008 Miami has used a ton of picks on Defense

08 – 2nd, 3rd & 7th
    09 – 1st, 2nd, 5th & 7th
    10 – 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 5th, 7th, 7th
    11 – 7th
    12 – 3rd, 5th, 7th
    13- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th
    14- 4th, 5th, 7th
    15- 2nd, 5th, 5th
    16 – 2nd, 6th
    17- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th
    18 – 1st, 6th & 7th

That is a SHIT-TON of 1st and 2nd round picks on Defense in the last 10 years. Makes me want to sign up for Facebook just so I can call him out.

Naples – I think not on Stanley, he will cost a fortune. Just draft your next LT

MIke, yes he should be embarrassed,but like many who form opinions based upon nothing but their opinion he, probably wouldn’t be. The REAL reason is you only typically get 4-5 “keepable” draft picks per season. You can’t afford to miss on the few you get and we have whiffed whay too much on our 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks. (most of my reason for not liking Grier as our GM because he has been involved in all of those whiffs)

Saying we drafted only offense isn’t an opinion though, it’s just an incorrect statement. There isn’t any opinion involved, it either is true or false. Right?

100. Krishna says:

Grier’s involvement in the past drafts makes me nervous about the 2020 draft, too.

That’s understandable. It’s never just the GM though, he’s doing the shopping for what the HC wants, and we have had some real sh*t in that capacity for the last decade or so.

Krishna – I agree. I do have faith in Flores, and like I said earlier, I don’t think we’re looking at the same type of players we used to, not looking for the guy who put up the best numbers but a guy who does things right, is versatile, smart and coachable. Whether that actually works out or not or whether we properly identify those players remains to be seen.

102. Krishna says:

I have to say since Grier was elevated to GM, it appears he’s picked up a good coach and teams well with Flores. Let’s hope they can work well together with draft.

And, he’s scrubbed the team of dead space, dead weight, and added draft and FA capital. So far, stay the course!

Lack Off
      Lack On
      Lack Off
      🎶🎶🎶🎶

It’s also the first time Grier has been the true head honcho. And it’s not like we never drafted any good players in the past. We did, we failed at putting together a good team in all phases at the same time. Our former HCs also didn’t get the job done in games. We lost plenty of close games. Let’s see what kind of team we have in 2021. That’s when we’ll know if Grier had the right plan to build a team from the ground up.

105. naplesfan2010 says:

The funny thing is
    Washington signed a WR from the Colon Kaepernick tryout.

Rock – Alternate facts? Not sure what you mean. I definitely have my opinions on certain things but whether we draft offensive players or defensive players in the draft isn’t subject to an opinion, it’s facts.

Dallas once again in trouble. The NFC East has gotten really bad.

• bookman11 says:

Yeah, they are all tanking…🤪

It’s the new fangled way. LOL

If the Cowboys lose tonight and they most likely will, there will be 16 teams with losing records in the league. That’s not a good look for the NFL.

That post about Flores spending significant time scouting talent throughout the season is something he said he’s been doing for 15 years. That’s more about how he coaches the entire team, not specializing. He’s entrenched with every player on this team.

I wanted a defensive HC this time around but coach Flo is much more than that. I think we found a leader, motivator and teacher as our HC. He’s already shown multiple times that he will throw some razzle dazzle at you. LOL

Jerry Jones speaking for his team is the problem. Your HC is an afterthought.

That’s why Jason Garrret is his coach

That’s a big reason why they’re 6-7. They have no leadership at HC. It’s not all Garrett’s fault either. Jerry Jones thinks just having a lot of talent is all you need. Well you have the talent, so why are you 6-7? But they’re still the top seed in the NFC East regardless of what the Eagles do this Monday Night. How crazy is that? LOL

Can Am – Patrick shut down Dolphin Shout? What happened?

Lots of talent will be on the field tonight!

I’d have no problem drafting him in the 1st. He’s somewhere between Josh Allen and Daniel Jones as a young QB. I think his upside is huge.

UCLA
    Darnay Holmes, CB
    Holmes was the No. 3 cornerback recruit in the nation in the 2017 class according to 247 Sports. And while his tape hasn’t always been steady, Holmes has undoubtedly flashed in his first two seasons at UCLA. He tallied three picks as a freshman with three pass breakups and had three more interceptions in 2018 while boosting his pass-breakup figure to eight. Blessed with elite speed and insane twitch, Holmes is more of an athlete right now than a polished corner. With more refinement to his game — with press at the line, staying in phase down the field, and learning to not bite on double moves — Holmes will skyrocket up draft boards, potentially into the first round.

Tim, “Elite speed and insane twitch” caught my attention. I’ll be watching him.

If we can get a bookend CB for Howard we will be one stop closer.

114. bailbondmike says:

Wyoming, it will be a good one to watch for sure. My prediction is Herbert will struggle against the pass rush and very good DB’s of Utah and will show why he is not worth picking with our first pick.
    Again, I feel he is no better than Rosen and wouldn’t select him with our first pick. IMO, Herbert = Eason so why draft one of them early when one will be there later.

• bailbondmike says:

Tim, don’t get me wrong. I think Herbert is a talented QB but just think we should of seen more from him with the # of games he has started and a stellar OL in front of him. After Burrow and Tua, I think the remaining QB’s are more projects to work with. It will be interesting who they can work with the most. If we take Herbert with our first pick, I will be surprised but also will trust our staff for their decision and not bitch about it. LOL

BBMike, so one person will struggle against Utah’s pass rush and DBs. That disqualifies Herbert as a top NFL prospect?

What this comment really says is Oregon can’t block or get open against Utah. LOL

115. bailbondmike says:

I’m sure you all have heard about the active shooter here on NAS Pensacola. I have finally got in touch with all my friends who work on base and all are well. This is just terrible. NAS Pensacola was my last duty station. Where this happened was where the new pilots come in. Makes me wonder if this shooter could have been an officer/pilot trainee. It also makes me wonder if it was terror related as we train pilots from many countries around the world. Mainly middle east countries. Not pointing a finger as most of the foreign nationals we trained were really cool. The Pakistani officers were a bit arrogant and standoffish but still cool. My guess is it’s just a mentally unstable jackass who wasn’t going to make it through training.

Rock You’ll have to watch him on Youtube! 🙂
    UCLA is not bowl eligible!

How did Tua do against Clemson last year in the championship game? Drops mike!!! LOL

I want to see Moss show out a little better than he did against Washington!

Hebert could struggle tonight!
    That is a sure enough talented D Utah has!

Utah is a good team
      I would like to see them in The playoffs
      But if Herbert doesn’t struggle you can bet, no one will give him credit for beating a good team

119. bailbondmike says:

That disqualifies Herbert as a top NFL prospect?
    —————————————————————————-
    Tim, not at all. I just have not seen him improve on that over the last 2 years. I think if it something our staff feels they can make him better at and they select him, I will be happy that we got him. Heck, he could end up being the best of this class. Burrow’s main fault is the deep ball. He does not have the arm strength of Tua, Herbert or Love. He tends to float his deep balls. Like we all have said, it’s a crap shoot in most cases.

BBMike, I’m not saying anyone of these QB prospects this year are great. My point is did you know what the 2018 QB class would be? Lamar Jackson at #32 is on his way to being MVP and more. Would you take Josh Allen over Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold at his point? I would. You can’t teach size, athleticism and arm strength.

Oh right, Josh Rosen too. LOL

I think Herbert is much better than Allen of Jones ever was

He’s suffering a bit from hyper analysis especially among Dolfans who have been salivating for a QB since August

But he has far fewer warts than any of those prospects, as does Burrow and Tua

Personally I think all 3 of those guys would have went before any QB selected and j the last couple of years, expect maybe Mayfield making an argument to be taken before then but even iMO mayfield was not the qualifty prospect either of those 3 were

I’m Tua’s cass I’m speaking about him irrespective of injury or injury risk

Herbert reminds me of Roethlisberger after Eli and Rivers. It’s about upside at the next level. Not college stats. If that mattered Tim Tebow would be the greatest of all time. LOL

bailbondmike says:
    December 6, 2019 at 11:16 am
    I’m sure you all have heard about the active shooter here on NAS Pensacola

4 dead, including the shooter. Shame.

So we did move on. No biggie – a 2018 7th DL for a 2019 6th OL. In a year or two nobody will care when neither is on the team. However I’m rooting for Sieler. 😉

123. bailbondmike says:

My top 3 were gone so I traded down:

Round 1 Pick 7 (ARI): Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn (B+)
    Round 1 Pick 22: Alex Leatherwood, OG/OT, Alabama (B)
    Round 1 Pick 25: Yetur Gross-Matos, DE/OLB, Penn State (B-)
    Round 2 Pick 4: Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 7 (ARI): Jordan Love, QB, Utah State (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 28: KLavon Chaisson, DE/OLB, LSU (B)
    Round 3 Pick 4: Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 7 (ARI): Josh Metellus, FS/SS, Michigan (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 19: Zack Moss, RB, Utah (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 21: Julian Blackmon, CB, Utah (A)
    Round 6 Pick 4: Michael Pittman, WR, USC (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 21: Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 24: Logan Stenberg, OG, Kentucky (A+)

How did you get three 2’s? Someone traded you a shoe and a stick of gum? LOL

I could see us trading a lot this year. When you have all those picks you both have a lot to trade up with and after you trade down the next pick for whoever you want ain’t that much of a wait.

I don’t care what we do. We need to add difference makers. 3 from FA and 5 from the draft along with who proved themselves this season. That can change everything in 2020.

125. bailbondmike says:

I think the players I am going to focus on tonight will be:
    Utah
    RB Zack Moss
    CB Jaylon Johnson
    FS/CB Julian Blackmon
    DE Bradlee Anae

Oregon
    QB Justin Herbert
    Oregon OL (Specifically OT Throckmorton and their center)

I just stepped outside and got caught up in a crazy game of Hopscotch!!! LOL

128. bailbondmike says:

I didn’t want to speculate or stereotype earlier but I am hearing the shooter was from the middle east. Have not confirmed but one of the local news stations reported that.

Whens the last time you heard that?

130. bailbondmike says:

Before I retired, I worked at the Naval Survival Training Institute on NAS Pensacola. We conducted all the aviation physiology on the new pilot trainee’s to make sure they can handle the physical affects of flying fighter jets. Some of the foreign students would try to refuse some of the training and become very upset when it came down to them having no option but to do it. TBH, some of them did make me nervous when this happened. Though I can never remember going though that with a Saudi student. The main thing they would refuse to do would be the Multi-Place Underwater Egress Trainer (cause they couldn’t swim or didn’t want to do it blindfolded) or the Multi-station Disorientation Device (better know as the “Spin and Puke”).

pheloniusphish says:
    December 6, 2019 at 1:46 pm
    Saudi flight student

Was he only interested in how to takeoff and not how to land?

132. bailbondmike says: