Hall of Fame : Zach Thomas

I was listening to NFL radio on my drive home last night from work. They were interviewing one of the guys responsible for notifying players that they have made it into the Hall of Fame. It was really interesting, and a nice perspective on it. One of the first things he said was he would love to eliminate the word “snub” from all Hall of Fame discussions. He elaborated that all people do with the voting is vote people “IN”, no one gets voted out. When someone doesn’t get in they simply didn’t get enough votes to get in.

So get this . . . The NFL is celebrating it’s 100th year, it all started back in 1920. Then Pro Football Hall of Fame was created in 1963. That means that for 43 years, no player was inducted in the Hall of Fame which created quite a backlog. This is just one of the obstacles that the committee faces and has faced since it started. It’s far from just being a backlog that’s the issue. There are literally so many great players that are worthy for consideration. The fact that Zach Thomas is on the cusp of this greatness speaks to just how great he was. This is the 2nd year in a row in which Zach is being considered, last year as a Semi Finalist, this year as a Finalist.

More perspective. There are 341 players in the Hall of Fame. Only 189 are currently alive. Three Hundred and Forty One. I’ve been watching football since the late 1960’s, and it was probably not until at least the 80’s where I really started to understand the game better, and I can think of so many great players that I’ve seen. Zach is getting recognition, being a finalist is no joke or easy accomplishment. 341, that’s a very small number taking into account a span of 100 years and so many players.

Some more perspective – Here’s the list of Finalists with Zach this year.

Bryant Young DT

Richard Seymour DE/DT

Sam Mills LB

John Lynch S

Edgerrin James RB

Steve Hutchinson OG

Torry Holt WR

Alan Faneca OG

LeRoy Butler S

Isaac Bruce WR

Tony Boselli OT

Steve Atwater S

Reggie Wayne WR

Troy Polamalu S

I saw each and every one of those players play and this truly constitutes the best of the best. You can’t look at any one of those names and deny their greatness. They were all dominant players who were special. Zach Thomas is right there with them. The 2nd picture shows how he played the game, he played with abandon and put his body on the line each and every game. Luke Kuechly retiring at the age of 28 is a sobering reminder of just how much of a toll this game takes on your body and mind. Zach played in 13 NFL seasons and he felt the wear and tear of concussions and other physical damage. He purchased a Hyperbaric Chamber so he could attempt to minimize the effects of those concussions. There was no official count, but there were too many for sure.

Zach Thomas’ stats stand up against anyone’s. He was just a fantastic player. He was a 5 time 1st Team All Pro. That’s huge! He was also a 7 time Pro Bowler. All this in a league that had LB’s like Junior Seau, Derrick Thomas, Brian Urlacher etc.

1734 tackles, 16 FF’s, 20.5 sacks, 17 INT’s, 4 defensive TD’s, 48 passes defensed and 74 tackles for loss, the first 3 years of his career both TFL and passes defensed were not accounted for.

As most of you know, I got to meet Zach Thomas and spent a good deal of time talking to him. He was so gracious to do that, especially when he was on his own vacation, but that’s how selfless he is. He couldn’t be any more humble or down to earth, just a regular guy talking about the game he loved. I hope he gets in and I hope I get to see it, but it’s no slight if he doesn’t, there are just so many great players and not enough spots for them all.

584 Responses to Hall of Fame : Zach Thomas

Response to Tim, from the last blog, on Tua vs Burrow.

Fair enough, but how did you rate Lamar Jackson? I think Tua surely has a better arm, and he can move around with the best if them, not sure he can run like Lamar, but close enough. I think the disparity in passing abilities is greater than in run abilities.

Why do you think guys like Lamar and Tua always seem to have guys wide open? Couldn’t have anything to do with their running abilty.

I didn’t think Lamar Jackson was going to become the passer he became based on what I saw in college. He surprised me. But I’m not comparing him to Tua either. I’m just going by what I saw in college.

Mike did you win a vacation too😉

Mike, any thoughts on Beltran never being your manager?

I think it would be ridiculous. This cheating thing is out of control. Every manager and coach in some form or another tries to get a leg us on his competition by stealing signs, looking for tells etc. That being said, I don’t even care if Beltran is our manager or not, I’m not sure he was the right guy anyway, but he shouldn’t lose his job IMO

4th and Oink!

5. pbfinfan says:

I was at the Jets game in 1994. It was my sons 9th Birthday and that was his request. Zach made that interception and did a flip into the end zone. It was Glorious! The rout was on after that. I kinda felt sorry for the Jets fans. No, not really.

Thomas > everyone else on that list

I think a Tory Holt has been up a few years in a row now

That list is actually pretty good so I’m a little worried for Zach

Wow, that’s hard to say. Boselli was hands down the best LT in football most of his career. Hutchinson started the awareness of how important interior line play really is and put OG right near OT in importance. He was the best at his position. Atwater and Polamalu were real difference makers at the S position. Both were huge impact players in more ways than one.

Isn’t Sam Mills one of Thomas’ idols?

Jersey boy! I loved that Saints defense. They had some collection of LB’s there. Rickey Jackson, Vaughan Johnson, Sam Mills and Pat Swilling. Those 4 were awesome!

Do you remember those guys? I remember when I moved to NJ in December of ’91 I had to find a place to watch Dolphins games. There was a bar/restaurant in Matawan NJ called MVP’s. If you’ve ever been to Bokampers on the water in FLA, imagine that about 30 years ago. They had about 100 TV’s, a control room with the ability to put any game on any TV, plus they had 3 big rooms with giant screen TV’s for the Jets, Giants and Steelers. I was very sad when that place closed down. Anyway, I watched a lot of football back then and got to see that quartet of LB’s play. Mills and Johnson played the middle while Jackson and Swilling were on the outside. Mills was the 3-4 defense’s version of Zach Thomas, he was in on so many tackles, he was everywhere at 5’9″ 230

Nice article Mike E. Thank you again for keeping this place running and adding new content all the time.

That is a big list of great players. I hope Zach get’s his finally but all of those guys are deserving.

Man Mike E — do I ever hope Zach makes the HOF, but it’s really a toss-up. He’s in my HOF though. What he did with that undersized body was incredible. JT made it first ballot, but to me Zach was a better “player” at least.

Zach was my favorite player, he was just so easy to root for. JT was unbelievable, he had the size and speed to go with the talent and he used it all. He’s probably a little underappreciated here, especially because he went on to play for the Jets.

My first jersey was #13 and the 2nd one was #54. Sill have it, but man does it look ragged. Still can’t get myself to throw it out though.

“Zach was one of, if not the smartest player I ever faced. He loved the game, had fun when he played and brought the best out of me. When people ask me who’s not in the Hall of Fame and that I think should be here, it’s an easy one for me: number 54 from the Miami Dolphins.”
    —– Jets center Kevin Mawae in his HOF induction speech last year

They had some epic battles for sure. Mawae used to get on Zach pretty quick to neutralize him but Zach still made plays.

Mike

After Zach Thomas gets in we can discuss how good the other nominees are

But until then, everyone not named Zach Thomas sucks

This is the way

I sure as hell hope Flores can find a way to “spot” an attitude like this!
    Before we draft him!

At first when I read it I just thought it was a playful slap and that people were making a big deal out of nothing

But it actually looks pretty disrespectful by him when that guy is just trying to do his job

Hell ya!
    Go Zach!!!!!!!!
    But it would be hard to argue any of those guys on the list didn’t deserve to be there!

Welcome to the Browns Kevin!
    Here’s your off-season program!

wyoming85 says:
    January 16, 2020 at 12:30 pm
    I sure as hell hope Flores can find a way to “spot” an attitude like this!
    Before we draft him!

I have a feeling that he probably can. There is a reason Landry isn’t here anymore. Those to “look at me” Divas are two peas in a pod. (Except Landry is more team motivated and WILL block down field for his team mates.)

Man, I forgot how much Tony Sparano loved field goals

I’ve given up drinking for a month

Sorry, that is bad punctuation.

I’ve given up. Drinking for a month!

So it’s official. Beltran out as Mets manager. I wasn’t overly excited by the hiring in the first place but it’s just another thing that the Mets touch and it turns to shit. Very interested in who they hire now though, is it a long term answer or a short term fix?

I would think Beltran, Cora, and the two guys from Houston will be banned for life. At least, if the treatment they gave Pete Rose is any indication.

Pete Rose is a jackass, I’ve crossed paths with him twice.

Sparano got it, he knew how important each point was, and the field position you give up on a miss. Hell I get pissed when the team I’m rooting for goes for two, unless its last 5 minutes or the 2 points get them to a multiple of 8, before the try. And irate when the Fins do it.

I think the “SUPER FIST PUMP” above was actually for a TD, but I ran across the GIF on a totally random web-site that had nothing to do with the Dolphins. (They added the shot put portion of the GIF)

January 16, 2020 at 12:52 pm

——————————–

I thought the same thing in the same order you did, Piggy.

I tell ya, OBJ sure found ways to make the NCAA Championship game all about him. Instead of LSU players getting to enjoy the moment, all the headlines are OBJ and his antics.

I swear, I think Landry learned some bad habits from him. I know their inseparable, but it seems like Landry took the bad from OBJ while Landry’s hard work ethic and team attitude never brushed off onto him. Know what I mean?

I think they are both hard workers and both selfish players. I think Landry cares about football and winning more than OBJ. I think OBJ probably cares more about being seen and talked about than he does about football. Cleveland can keep them both.

There’s more

If I had the ability to go back in time, I would use my powers for good and kill Keyshawn Johnson before he made it cool to be a diva WR.

God speaks about Tua

Kong

Where we are going, we don’t need roads…

Trash > OBJ

Not surprised that Beltran and the Mets decided to part ways. Of course somehow this Astros mess affected the Mets. SMH

I’m really surprised at most of the names on that HOF nominee list. I dont think HOF when I see most of those names. Then again, theres a lot of names I’d cut out of the people already in.

OBJ is a shit show. Even PFT is saying he is an attention hound.

SB – 89.5 sacks , almost all of them from the DT position is crazy good. That’s Bryant Young. That’s Aaron Donald before Aaron Donald. I think it’s pretty special, but I suppose at first glance at his name, I guess I don’t think HOF either to be fair. Hutchinson was easily the best interior lineman so I do think HOF immediately. Troy Polamalu was such an impact player so I also think HOF. Besides, his hair was beautiful. lol – Richard Seymour was super versatile and all he did was win. RB’s are tough, I think Edge was very good but not sure he belongs in the HOF. Both Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce were part of one of the most explosive offenses in history and Bruce was a compiler p[laying 14 seasons. LeRoy Butler – EH, but he has more INT’s than Polamalu, but Troy played closer to the LOS, so that makes sense. Faneca was also a great OG, not as dominant as Hutch. Faneca was a 6X All Pro, Hutch 5X.

This is a fun game

Scherff
      Tua
      Swift
      Biadasz

But I don’t think Swift will go in the first round

• TOP SECRET says:

1) FA…..Ngakoue
        2) #5…..Simmons
        3) pick #18…..Gross-Matos
        4) pick#26…..Biadasz

• bookman11 says:

Holy shit, I was scrolling slowly and before I saw your picks Piggy, I picked the same guys. I guess great minds of library cops and flying pigs think alike

1) Free Agent:-Scherff
        2) Pick 5:-Simmons
        3) Pick 18:-Chaisson
        4) Pick 26:-Biadasz
        5)?????-Dobbins

Like Pig I think the 2nd is a spot for a good RB

31. ElephantRider says:

If Fins give up the entire draft for Burrow….whatever

If they don’t….whatever.

I personally don’t think he’s worth it, but I’m just some dude.

I think that Dolphins looking to trade up for Burrow article is typical rumor mill stuff to build up for the draft.

33. Phindog says:

Great write Mike E !! You know I’m a huge Zach Thomas fan as well. I can’t imagine him not going into the HOF this year. 🐕
    Happy belated Birthday OD. Hope you had a great day.
    Phinpup turned 30 today. Holy Shit !!!!!! Happy Birthday Phinpup. 🐕🎂

Okay that was weird …. tried logging in 3 times and it was showing domain had expired…

MIKE E ignore the email 🤔👍

Thank you Lisa!!!

On behalf of Finsmobublesshed: please accept our warmest “fuck off”

Thanks Herd!

Thanks Herd!

So it wasn’t just me ?

41. Phindog says:

Lol@Piggy!! Killing it!

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming. LOL

Happy birthday to your pup, Doggy!

Sorry about that. The card on file had to be canceled last summer when I lost it on vacay. Completely forgot it was on file for the blog. 🤦‍♀️

46. ElephantRider says:

Is 30 still a pup?

Happy Bday to your pup Doggy!

Jahn – I was just wondering, since it’s been a while, if your beers are going to be available nationwide anytime soon?

1) Free Agent:-Scherff
    2) Pick 5:-Simmons
    3) Pick 18:-Chaisson
    4) Pick 26:-Biadasz
    5)?????-Dobbins

Like Pig I think the 2nd is a spot for a good RB

Lol Tim, we had the same comment at 8:37.

So let’s say the Dolphins think Burrow is a big time franchise QB, do you make the deal posted above?

WERE SOME OF YOU GUYZ AND GALZ talking “old?”
    LET me spell it out for you. O-L-D.
    My daughters are 55 and 53.
    My grand daughters are both over 30.
    My oldest great grand daughter will soon be 14.
    And I still have 5 more great grand kids. And 2 more grand sons who, some day, likely will father more kids.
    —————
    But, the most amazing fact of all is – –
    Mrs. OD is a few months OLDER THAN ME (even tho’ she looks 20 years younger than me!!

• bookman11 says:

OD, I have to say, to have kids near my age (I am 56) is awesome. My parents were older when they had me so I can’t relate to the lineage you talk about here.

JOE BURROW: GO FOR HIM. HE IS THE REAL DEAL!!!

• bookman11 says:

I agree, depending on what it costs. No Ditka Rickie Williams deal. Also, I will say he is my favorite player in this draft so I am biased.

In all honesty I think a healthy Tua is better but there is that whole health question. Also don’t think the Bengals are going to trade it kind of precludes any chance of going for him

I kind of think he is too even though you never know. But that’s a heavy price to pay for “they think” he is. You gotta get that right. It’s thins out our drafts the next two years so we have to do well in FA and hit on most of the picks we have.

• bookman11 says:

I would take Burrow over Tua any day.

53. ElephantRider says:

Just pick up RT17 in FA. Fins will be set for years.

54. Phindog says:

Yes me and the wife relived our life when Phinpup was born up until now. 30 years of laughter and great times and a few dumb ass moments but that is life. He only did 15% of the bad shit that I did in the 60’s , 70’s and especially in the 80’s. We are very lucky to have such a great kid and those of you that have met him will agree. I cooked him steak and lobster tonight and it was really good. And yes we feel ancient 😎👍🥃🥃🐕

55. ElephantRider says:

My thought on what’s going to happen this offseason…

No frickin clue.

Grier and company kept with purging beyond what alot of people expected. So, I have no idea what the plan is. Neither do the “experts”.

I do know it’ll all be poopooed on. And that’s ok. I’m used to hearing it.

Keep Tua and Burrow, neither would beat out Fitz and it’s way too soon to give up on Rosen, build the D and a running game, we already have two QBs.

WTG on the surf and turf Doggy! I bet you all had a nice evening

Ken

I agree, I think a healthy Tua is better than Burrow

But Burrow is a much safer pick bc of Tua’s health

If we selected Burrow I would be much more confident about our future at the position

That said, I don’t want to trade up for anyone

I honestly think any of the QBs including Herbert (who everyone says sucks) are dependent on us filling some other needs to excel, namely an OL and a running game

It doesn’t make sense to give up picks to move up to take Burrow or Tua or anyone by giving up the picks that will help them thrive

I would rather pick some one like Fromm if it came down to it, rather than give up picks

We need OL and a running game badly
    And both will have s dramatic affect on any QB we selects career

Happy belated B-Day to the PhinPup!!!

🙂

Key West is spectacular today. Wish I could post pics.

I agree with the swine. While I would like to have Burrow as the future QB, I don’t want to give up picks for him. Rather build a killer D and OL.

I don’t think we’re going to do that. I’m not convinced at all that we take a QB at #5 or maybe not even in RD 1 or 2. We’ll see

Tua and Burrow were both gone!

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 5: Isaiah Simmons, OLB/ILB, Clemson (A-)
    Round 1 Pick 18: KLavon Chaisson, DE/OLB, LSU (C)
    Round 1 Pick 26: Tyler Biadasz, C/OG, Wisconsin (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 5: Jordan Love, QB, Utah State (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 24: JK Dobbins, RB, Ohio State (A)
    Round 3 Pick 5: Lucas Niang, OT, TCU (A)
    Round 5 Pick 17: Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State (A)
    Round 6 Pick 5: Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 17: Antoine Brooks, FS/SS, Maryland (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 31: Luke Farrell, TE, Ohio State (A+)

Phish
    You doing any fishing?

Trick in that stat might have been as how it was presented. AFC and Kelce was top in “receiving” yards. Serious point though that Parker should have been the one to get the injury replacement offer.

• pheloniusphish says:

ProBowl is a popularity contest and Miami is the fat ugly girl.

Gonna be interesting to see how fat and ugly we are after the off season. Thinking we will at least be in the playoff mix towards end of season next year , even if not the Bowl talk.

Phelon now: I’m having a rum and something . . .

Phelon in 2 hours from now: I’m having a rumthing or other and ish good!

Cuban bartender chick buying me drinks now. WTF.

Joe Schad

@schadjoe
    Tennessee Titans QB Ryan Tannehill named 2019 NFL Comeback Player of the Year and the 2019 Most Improved Player of the Year by the Pro Football Writers Association. Congratulations, @ryantannehill1

445
    1:06 PM – Jan 17, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    133 people are talking about this

Did they send the award to Derrick Henry?

What’s he coming back from I ask? Anonymity? 😛

• TOP SECRET says:

proves the fact that when you build a complete TEAM with a good supporting cast and good coaching, it makes everyone look good. I always thought that the problem wasn’t just Tanny. nothing but good wishes for the kid.

70. bailbondmike says:

Today is last day for college players to declare for the 2020 draft.

I dont want any of our players making the pro bowl, it just makes them expensive to keep.

I wasn’t happy with my QB pick, but oh well.

I sent the Raiders #5 overall and got #12 &19 in return so I would up with 4 first round picks.
    Then I traded R3P6 to Denver for R3P13 & R3P19 so in the end I wound up with 4-1st, 2-2nd & 2-3rd round picks. I would take this without too much angst. LOL

12: R1P12 QB TUA TAGOVAILOA ALABAMA
    197: R6P18 G SADARIUS HUTCHERSON SOUTH CAROLINA
    202: R6P23 WR K.J. HILL OHIO STATE
    245: R7P31 CB A.J. GREEN OKLAHOMA STATE
    251: R7P37 K CONNOR LIMPERT ARKANSAS

The Raiders took A.J. Apenesa, Edge @ #5 and then Chargers took Herbert @ #6

• TOP SECRET says:

the overall looks decent, minus tua, but I believe there’s no chance in hell Simmons makes it out off the top ten.

• bailbondmike says:

I wouldn’t harp at that! You got Simmons, Jackson and Chaisson in the 1st and Tua was just a bonus. Nice! Though, instead of another interior OL at 197, I would have looked for another RB or a DT like Hamilton from OSU if he was there.

I was wondering when we would see a Rockphintradypants draft!

I was getting ready to do one. LOL

I would explode in my own pants if that was our draft

Simmons at 18…sign me up

Top, I’m not a fan of Tua, but he will sit this year and get healthy anyway. The potential is there. I just don’t like that he is left handed and has had the best WR in the college catching his hucked throws.

• TOP SECRET says:

dude, it’s all good. we all have our opinions. I just think we might have our QB already on the roster, no need to use one of our 1st rounders. build a SOLID TEAM on both sides of the ball and you can’t go wrong.

Basically got two drafts in one (16 picks, 1/4 of those in the first round.)

Why are you guys sour on left handed QBs

Steve Young, Boomer Esiason and Ken stabler were all leftees

• bailbondmike says:

I’m not sour on them (Tua). Tua is a special talent but think he will struggle early in the NFL with his reluctance to make a contested or tight window throw that is not a homerun ball.

76. bailbondmike says:

I just spent 1 1/2 hours watching game tape and highlights on Tua and Burrow. People have their own opinions but I reaffirmed myself that Burrow is the better QB of the 2. For me, it’s not that close. The major difference is tight window throws and throws to let the WR make a play on. Burrow does this many times a game with incredible accuracy. I think if you watched every throw in every game by both QB’s, the number of tight windows throws Tua attempts all season may not even equal the number of tight window throws Burrow makes in one game. This is no exaggeration. Watch the game tapes. I only saw Tua attempt 3 tight window throws in all the videos I watched and only 1 was closely contested. He just won’t pull the trigger on those throws. He will not be able to move the chains well in the NFL by not taking those throws. Tua’s back shoulder throws are not that accurate and doesn’t seem to attempt many of those throws either. Another edge I gave Burrow was keeping his eyes down field when the pocket breaks down. They both have excellent pocket presence, mobility and ability to escape pressure. The difference I saw was Burrow is constantly scanning the field while evading pressure. Tua takes his eyes off the field almost half the time then when he escapes pressure he looks for the homerun ball which was there many times. It pays to have some fast WR’s. I did give Tua the edge on the long ball. Dude can sling that rock!

Thanks for the education. Hard not to like what even a few looks at Burrow give, but seems everyone agrees Burrow over Tua. Q is how much? Gonna take a bunch to get Cincy to give up on their QB of the future. Thinking maybe all 3 of our firsts at this point no matter what the trade chart says. You pull the trigger?

• bailbondmike says:

I think the cost for Burrow will be to high. If we were to pull off what Rockphin did by trading down and got Tua with 3 other great players in the 1st would be a homerun. We would have to carry 3 QB’s as I don’t think Tua would be ready for NFL action to be our #2 this year.

bailbondmike says:
    January 17, 2020 at 4:00 pm
    I was wondering when we would see a Rockphintradypants draft!

LOL

We have so many picks already it is exhausting. I almost automatically say no when someone offers to give me more picks.

Man seeing the mock trades is fun. With all the ammo we got….. wonder how many 2nds that could be turned into. I’m thinking like 7 or 8….. and yeah take that as a challenge.

I had this Steelers fan on twitter telling me how great Minkah is. I said where was he the 2nd half of the season? He comes back with Minkah was only targeted 2 times the last 8. I told him safeties aren’t necessarily targeted, especially when they’re just playing deep safety so that’s a load of garbage, and I look forward to drafting a great player with the #18 pick. Thanks!!

It will be interesting to see who we land at RB and in what round. I wouldn’t be surprised if we drafted two.

Ol, DL,DB should be priorities.

That’s a given. But from what I saw the coaches do with like 20 different DBs I’m not sure they have to be top players or prospects. Think about how much better the guys we played with would be with a better pass rush. We all saw how many times we couldn’t get to the QB and they had all day to throw. Change that and the entire defense gets better overnight.

Also when saying DL, think edge OLB types as well because that’s how we play.

83. bailbondmike says:

Today is last day for players to declare right?
    ————————————————————-

Per the NFL website:

Jan 17: Deadline for college players who are underclassmen to apply for Special Eligibility. A list of underclassmen who have been approved for entry into the 2020 College Draft will be sent to clubs on January 21.

84. bailbondmike says:

Keeps saying it’s a duplicate post but the original isn’t posted.

Bet its been a long time since you’ve heard this

Over/under on Tannehill picks this weekend – I set at 2.

You know what’s interesting is that Mahomes is set up to have the 49ers Defense fuck him over like the last passing sensation that came into the league and faced the 9ers in his first Super Bowl. Yeah Dan Marino.
    I’d like to see Andy Reid get one. He’s got some tough work left.

That 49ers defense specifically their DL is top notch. You have to be able to run on them a bit to slow them down. If you become one dimensional you’re dead. That’s what the 84 49ers defense did to Miami and Marino. We rushed 9 times for 25 and they played a dime defense almost the entire game. They doubled Duper and Clayton and dared us to run and we couldn’t.

Thinking back to when we did go to that last Super Bowl the excitement,the scope of it, the wondering but it’s the waiting. Those are the two loooooooooongest weeks, OMG, it’ll make you a nervous wreck, but in the best way!
    Love to go through it again.

Friday

Doggie,

I once had a boss with the same name as this guy (yes I sang this song incessantly around him)
    Not the same guy though

Even trade up to 2, if Cincy blinks you get Burrow otherwise you get Young. We need either.

• pheloniusphish says:

I’d be down with that.

I think that will be really expensive with Rivera a defensive coach sitting there with Young on the board. I don’t see Cincy blinking on Burrow. I hope we stay at #5 and just take the highest rated player on our board and use our multiple quality draft picks to upgrade the roster throughout.

We’ll have already dipped into FA so maybe that changes our plan in some way, but having 6 (3 1st, 2 2nd and a 3rd) picks already on the team after day 2 is pretty rare. That can turn a team around pretty quickly if you hit on most of them. Then we have at least another 6 picks on day 3 to provide competition along with UDFAs. I could see this roster having 20-25 new players next year.

This dedication goes out to Joe Burrow

If we stay with the picks we have and I’m sure we’ll make a trade or two even if not a big one, I think this is what has to happen to turn this team around. We all know the draft is not a prefect science and not all picks are going to pan out the way they’re projected.

1st round – one has to be a stud, one has to be a solid core player, the other at least serviceable.
    2nd round – one has to be a stud or solid core player, the other at least serviceable.
    3rd round – a solid core player or at least serviceable.

If we do that we’re in good shape. If better than that, great!

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING give the Winnipeg Jets a royal ass-kicking on the plains of Manitoba in tonight’s 7-1 blowout victory. Young Anthony Cirelli gets his first NHL hat trick, and Vaselivskiy stops 28 of the Jets 29 shots in a most impressive road victory—Vasy’s 10th consecutive win, matching a franchise record.

I normally DON’T get too hyped for hockey until after the Super Bowl. But this Lightning team has been on a huge roll after a so-so start to the season. MORE GUYS who are downright nasty, and a more even distribution of scoring makes this team VERY DANGEROUS come playoff time. And don’t think these guys aren’t motivated by last season’s playoff collapse. They’ve had this “Pissed-Off Demeanor” since Game 1 of the season. IF they can avoid key injuries, this Lightning team right now is poised for the playoffs. And they remain, far and away, the top story in sports in the greater Tampa Bay area. I literally can’t remember the last time the Lightning failed to sell out a home game. I salute owner Jeffrey Vinik, and his business partner, Bill Gates, for revitalizing Tampa Bay’s downtown area into something the whole community can be proud of.

This town is ready for a winner. And the 2020 Lightning may be just the team to bring home the trophy. SWE WANT THE CUP, AGAIN!!! –Go Bolts!!

I don’t see Reshad Jones back in 2020. Here are our options. Go to this site and click on the red x for 2020.

LOL @ ER! How many times or how many years have I tried to trade Reshad Jones?

Let me rephrase this . . . Since I’m not the GM, I should have said how many times or how many years have I wanted the Dolphins to trade him? lol

• Philip Bijeau says:

At the risk of repeating myself (and boring you all), maintain that Reshad Jones should be a pre-June 1st cut. In that scenario, the Dolphins would carry $8 million in dead money with a $7.5 million cap savings.

The Dolphins currently carry $12 million in dead money for MTM($5 million), Kiko($3 million), TJ Macdonald, Stills and Isaiah Prince. By 2021, it’s all gone, except $2 million more for MTM and $1.4 million total for Prince in 2021 and 2022.

Considering the math of it, cutting Jones doesn’t significantly damage the cap. Trading Jones would probably resemble the MTM deal and create longer term dead money.

113. bailbondmike says:

Decided I could get good player at 12 and gain another 1st round pick. Concentrated on D and OL.

Round 1 Pick 12 (OAK): Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State (B+)
    Round 1 Pick 18: Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina (B)
    Round 1 Pick 19 (OAK): Yetur Gross-Matos, DE/OLB, Penn State (B-)
    Round 1 Pick 26: Tyler Biadasz, C/OG, Wisconsin (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 5: KLavon Chaisson, DE/OLB, LSU (C+)
    Round 2 Pick 24: Calvin Throckmorton, OT, Oregon (A)
    Round 3 Pick 5: Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville (B)
    Round 5 Pick 17: Julian Blackmon, CB, Utah (A)
    Round 6 Pick 5: Anthony McFarland, RB, Maryland (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 17: Michael Warren, RB, Cincinnati (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 31: Nick Westbrook, WR, Indiana (A)

Second go around someone fell to me. Whooo Hoooo!

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 5: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU (A+)
    Round 1 Pick 18: Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina (B)
    Round 1 Pick 26: Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 5: Yetur Gross-Matos, DE/OLB, Penn State (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 24: KLavon Chaisson, DE/OLB, LSU (B)
    Round 3 Pick 5: Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville (B)
    Round 5 Pick 17: Cesar Ruiz, C, Michigan (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 5: Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 17: Michael Warren, RB, Cincinnati (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 31: Gabriel Davis, WR, Central Florida (A+)

Philip – Love when “the new guy” refers to M. Fitzpatrick as MTM. Awesome!!

115. bailbondmike says:

A DB who fits our team:

Sleeper Safety: Terrell Burgess, Utah

I’ve talked about the idea of “positionless football” to my colleague and co-host Jordan Reid on the Locked On College Football podcast several times. Essentially, your linebackers have to move like safeties, your safeties have to move like cornerbacks and your cornerbacks must have inside-out flexibility. It’s just how the game is evolving, and I think Utah’s Terrell Burgess fits that mold perfectly. He can play every position in the secondary — slot and boundary cornerback as well as both safety spots. He did that this past season, and of all the safeties in Mobile next week, Burgess will immediately separate himself as the top man coverage defender of the group. The best thing going for Burgess’ draft stock is his versatility. If he can show scouts next week just that, his stock is going to rise even higher.

116. bailbondmike says:

We should go D and OL early then get this guy:

Late-Round Steal: Anthony Gordon, Washington State

Following in the footsteps of Luke Falk and Gardner Minshew, Gordon became the third consecutive WSU signal-caller to receive an invite to the Senior Bowl. Throughout time, now Mississippi State head coach Mike Leach has been able to find success with quarterbacks who maybe aren’t the most physically gifted but are able to win with quick and decisive decision making. Minshew’s name will be thrown around soon after mentioning Gordon because they come from the same system and have nearly identical traits. While Gordon may not have the moxy Minshew had, he has more arm strength and was another thrower who mastered Leach’s air raid system.

As with most late-round targets, their competitive fire and football intelligence help them overcome many physical warts that are associated with their game. During practices, it will be easy to see the step down in traits that Gordon has, but he can help compensate that by continuing to show his accuracy, quick processing and awareness. The former Cougar quarterback is the exact type of late-round lottery ticket you take a chance on in hopes of cashing it in to reap the benefits of a low-risk high-reward investment.

Here’s the rest about Senior bowl QB’s:

OD that was a Fugly game last night.. not often I stop watching before over but after It was 5-0. I decided there was better options for my time ..

Bolts do look good and on a revenge roll

With watching all your mock drafts ,and solely based on name recognition, I will be Most disappointed if we do not land Badass!!!

Toba — not just the draft, but free agency as well. Gonna be an upgraded and completely different team next year. Makes me feel sorry for all those guys who tried so hard on the field for us last year….. like that endless rotation of dbs back there.

• ElephantRider says:

I bet a couple stick as depth or end up PS.

As lack of physical talent that was out there, they sure played competitive and together.

120. naplesfan2010 says:

Becton is a 355 pound OT, once listed at 369.
    whew
    Can he slide and step enough to pass block NFL speed rushers?

121. naplesfan2010 says:

In the first 3 rounds we need (as if we get nothing in FA)
    2 OTs
    2 RBs
    2 Edge rushers
    and a Safety

all starters I mean

122. naplesfan2010 says:

with Etienne going back to school (Why?)
    I have Swift as my fave RB
    followed by Taylor, Dobbins, and Edwards-Hilaire.

We need 2 of those b/c RBs get hurt a lot, and we have no NFL starting quality RBs.

123. naplesfan2010 says:

Either I’m reading it funny or Gros-Matos has almost no production.
    He seems a bit light to me and worries me to become another Harris bustomatic.

124. naplesfan2010 says:

Okwara
    Terrell Lewis

127. naplesfan2010 says:

at Safety
    Simmons
    Delpit
    and a sleeper from out west
    Ashtyn Davis

128. bailbondmike says:

Naples, this is why I like OT Mekhi Becton: (from “thedraftnetwork”)

Pass Sets – He’s smooth! Appreciate how clean his feet are. Rare ability to reach his back foot on drive catch and shows really nice cadence to not overset versus speed off the edge. Shows good awareness of angles to keep his passer secure prior to contact.

Length/Extension – All the reach in the world. His punch and extension will uproot defenders and physically uproot them a few yards at a time. Pretty awesome to watch him throw hands/create space instantly with upper body power. Plenty of length to extend and run rushers past the QB.

Balance – Appreciate how he doesn’t fold at the waist to chase in space. He’s a bit high hipped but his dynamic lower half does well to reach and catch his momentum to prevent him from drifting. Shows good angular adjustments on the move.

Hand Technique – His punches can be a bit wild but boy are they effective. He’s got probably the heaviest hands in the class, although Andrew Thomas’ are cleaner. If he can convert more blows to sustained hand fits, he’s going to whitewash DEs out in the run game with consistency.

Power at POA – Awesome power. Top shelf strength throughout his entire frame and unlike most big guys at this stage, he’s got mobility to apply it in lateral or angular situations where his whole frame isn’t aligned. He’s terrific at the point of attack to create space.

Football IQ – He gets away with some overly ambitious punches due to his raw power and his sense of continuing to work up the field for work versus stopping to peel eyes back and look for where to go can improve. But the arrow here is pointing firmly up. Strong development in 2019.

Functional Athleticism – Folks this big aren’t supposed to move this well. He’s so fluid for a big man and as a result he’ll gear down and pick off scraping LBs with ease. Have seen him work cutoff on a 1T from the backside — which is insane. The redirectional ability he displays is good for anyone.

Anchor Ability – Strong as an ox. He’s so naturally strong and with the reach he has, he rarely gives up his chest and allows bodies into his frame. Even when he does, core strength and lower body power eat up most comers and he shows a good late anchor.

Flexibility – Rare mobility through his hips and shows plenty of hinge laterally to play with forcible power on turnout blocks and when looking to long-arm edge setters out from a gap. He’s got good range of motion through his hips on pass sets to play with sufficient cadence.

Competitive Toughness – Love his effort level. He’s working the backside with assertiveness, he’s getting out onto the second level and effectively breaking down linebackers and sticking on them. He’s absolutely nasty in the trenches if you keep him in tight to the LOS.

Best Trait – Power at POA

Worst Trait – Punch Placement Consistency

Best Film – Syracuse (2019)

Worst Film – Boston College (2019)

Red Flags – Maintaining weight

Summary – Mekhi Becton projects as a starting left tackle at the NFL level — and a damn good one. Becton has all the length and functional power in the world, pairing it with a rare blend of flexibility and size. Becton is a brawler in the run game and his pure size overwhelms many pass rushers off the edge. There are still some technique consistencies to still be ironed out but generally speaking the ceiling here is sky high and there’s a foundation that should allow early production at LT.

Updated: 12/27/2019

• naplesfan2010 says:

man that article makes me want to take in the third as you say
      esp. if he can play RT and we get a more traditional (high first round, blue chip, can’t miss LT) in the first round.

129. bailbondmike says:

I find myself scrolling to the top to look at the pic of Zach flying through the air. He looks like a freaking superhero! It’s hulk like, if you don’t mind me saying, Ken.

130. naplesfan2010 says:

Here’s why i prefer Epenesa (with thanks to BBM for posting this)

“The Bill Belichick disciples are going to love A.J. Epenesa. He’s long, heavy-handed and has all the power in the world to defend the run and compromise the width of the pocket as a pass rusher. ”

WE HAVE A BILL B, disciple and are playing that defense now without anybody talented enough to play DE the way it is designed in that scheme. Epenesa could step right in and do it right.

The worst thing about our pass rush this past year is those guys were also terrible at setting the edge. Although as the year wore on, Flo taught them so well they got better. Just think if he started teaching a guy with actual talent!!!!

131. naplesfan2010 says:

have not considered this guy yet
    #26
    Dolphins
    Zack Baun
    EDGE, Wisconsin
    I promised myself I was going to get Zack Baun in the first round of this mock. It’s a worthy endeavor because Baun has the potential to be a first-round player after he dominates the Senior Bowl and shreds the NFL combine. His process is going to be as fun to watch as his film.

Baun’s biggest concern from a film perspective is his permanent deployment: Can he be a full-time pass-rusher? Does he need to be a stand-up SAM with coverage responsibilities? Under Brian Flores, he can take on the Kyle Van Noy role that allows him to do a little bit of everything, as the situation demands it.

by Solak

• bailbondmike says:

Naples, thanks and very interesting! Thedraftnetwork says about the samething on Baun:

Most Talented: Zack Baun, Wisconsin

Wisconsin hybrid linebacker Zack Baun is going to be the headliner name in this group — and rightfully so. He projects well as both an edge rusher and an off-ball defender, and I expect the coaching staff in Mobile to use him all over the field like a chess piece. If I had to put money on the prospect who rises the most from this event, my pick would be Baun. Versatility is king in today’s NFL. Look no further than former Joe Schobert, a former Badger who is now a Pro Bowl player for the Cleveland Browns. In 2015, he played the same exact role Baun played; but if he were drafted 10-15 years ago, he would’ve been labeled as a tweener. If Baun stands out in both the pass rush and coverage one-on-one drills, you can be sure he will be the talk of the town next week and every first-round mock until April will have his name in it.

The rest here:

• bailbondmike says:

Most talented regaeding Senior bowl players.

132. bailbondmike says:

I think LB Zack Baun and Safety Terrell Burgess, Utah are 2 versatile players we will look at.

Should be fun seeing who we target in the offseason, it’s going to be a lot. About half a roster.

135. naplesfan2010 says:

I’ve read up on Baun, and he’s ok, but I don’t think we need another guy like that. We already have beigel and van Ginkel. Baun seems redundant to them.

We need a DE type edge who tosses TEs away like sticks and rushes the QB with potential for pain so nobody stands in on him to take the hit or shakes him off.

That would be Epenesa. He can set the edge and he weighs 280. No RB can run over that.

I think Espenesa would play 5 technique DE in our 3-4 fronts and 3 technique on our 4-3 fronts

I don’t think he would play OLB for us

• naplesfan2010 says:

totally agree, but that spot was the weakest on our defense.
        We have Baker, van Ginkel, and Biegel for OLBs..

We had the worst edge-setting run-stoppers in the league.
        Epenesa is great at that. Plus he can bull-rush OTs and rag-doll TEs at 280

136. naplesfan2010 says:

Much as I like the nasty (and the name) of Biadasz, I wonder if he has the mobility and agility to pick off stunts in the NFL. I don’t think he can ever be a pullling guard or help out downfield.

137. naplesfan2010 says:

I would be inclined to take Simmons or Epenesa or Wills at #5 and Wirfs or Becton or Edge Lewis at 18 and Swift or Taylor or Dobbins at #26.

I think Epenesa is a perfect fit for what we want at that position. The next Dont’a Hightower type game-wrecker you can’t block. Or a Watt type DE who blows up plays.

If I drafted Simmons, I would list him as a Safety to neutralize the new breed TEs and cover RBs in the passing game. He’s a nouveau Zach Thomas, all over the field.

If he was the next Watt I would be selecting him at 5

But I think Espenesa May be a tier lower than Watt

He’s still a very good player. Derrick Brown May be better though

• naplesfan2010 says:

Derrick Brown is an interior DL … a DT, not an edge player. He’s 320 and has very little lateral speed in space. Great player, but I’d like to live with our DTs as is another year. It’s out at true DE where we suck. If Godchaux needs an upgrade where he becomes th rotational and we get a blue chip Aaron Donald in 2021 draft, then fine.

That’s how I feel about QB and WR also and CB if X stays out of jail.

If we don’t get a “edge” defender early
    Keep your eye on Michigan State’s Kenny Willekes

I really think he’s the type of player who can have an immediate impact as a 3-4 OLB type

• naplesfan2010 says:

love the person, the motor, the desire, but doesn’t have the power to compensate for lack of bend and slice and doesn’t have the quicks and twisty torso to compensate for lack of upper body strength.

Half the OTs can beat him one way, and the other half can beat him the other way.

To me he will never be a starter, as in no chance at the pro-bowl.

We need an edge rusher with a ceiling in double digit sacks. Willekes has a dependable floor, as he will never outright bust, but he also has a low ceiling.

139. naplesfan2010 says:

Watt was not all that in college. But came from the same type program.

He really blossomed in the pros, but the way he played to be DPOY was asking for rip and tear injuries. That type of not protecting your body is a recipe for a short career.

Epenesa plays more under control. Granted he will never be DPOY, but he will give you 8-10 years of winning football, especially in the defense that Flores runs. There is an actual position with his name on it in the Bellichick alignment.

The Houston coach plays it that way, too, which is why I chose Watt as my comp for Epenesa.
    Tall, able to carry 280-290 no problem, heavy hands, great length to assist on tackles with the DT and ideal height to bat down passes or at least to influence throwing lanes if not.

Watt flourished and was a better pro than college player. I predict the same for epenesa if he gets in a similar system. OURS. I would take him at 5 and pray.

Chiefs 35 titans 20
    Packers 31 49ers 17

I don’t think If the Chiefs score 35 or more that the Titans will score 20 or more points. If that happens it will have taken Tennessee out of their usual MO which would mean for the most scrapping the run game with play action and if that happens I think Tennessee unravels and the Chiefs get some turnovers and win big.

Unless of course the Titans have the lead for a while and the Chiefs come back like they did against the Texans. That’s the only scenario where I see them scoring that much while the Chiefs still put up 35 or more.

I hear you but
      The path to the chiefs winning is to score points early and take Henry out of the game

Look to them to try to build a big lead early and not look back

If the titans are able to hold the chiefs to the 20s, I think the titans have a good shot at winning

Maybe it happens but I’m going with my prediction that the chiefs get in top
      Early and don’t look back and the titans have to play catch up

Go Tannehill

• bookman11 says:

^^^^^
      Wearing Jersey today just to have some rooting interest outside of rooting AGAINST the Packers.

I’m going wear my Tannehill jersey just to see you both disappointed

🐷😛

• bookman11 says:

Lol, but doesn’t that work only for CURRENT Dolphins players? Might have the opposite affect now, instead of a curse, might be good luck 😉

Heck yeah we should root for Tanny.

From the link wyoming posted earlier: “In all, the QB made $10.25 million this year — $5 million from the Dolphins, $5.25 million from Tennessee.”

We’re paying for half his performance. Might as well be money well spent. 🙂

• manitobafinfan says:

👍👍I was gonna save that nugget for when he is playing Superbowl in Miami 😊

Heart
        Titans 31-27
        GB 24-21

Head
        KC 35-16
        9ers- 31-17

I like the way you think

Toba — if GB wins be real Canadian polite about it…. big day for your better half.

Ken — Titans should be hoping we paid for the 1st half. The 2nd ones never worked out too well for us with Tanny. 🙂

144. naplesfan2010 says:

Frisco has too much defense, don’t they? Those DEs.
    SF 24 GB 17
    KC can’t stop Henry either, but no one can stop Mahomes.
    Titans jump out early.but can’t stop the comeback.
    KC 31 Tenn 17
    unless Tannehill mounts a comeback of his own.
    Then it’s Tennessee 27 KC 24.

To a, you and I are in similar position for the NFC game today, but on opposite sides of the rooting interest.

• bookman11 says:

“Toba” not “to a”

• manitobafinfan says:

I understand your feelings 😊

Stanger : she is well aware I still hold a grudge against her team..

Not so much I want Packers to win as much as I want SF to lose

As for AFC I will be happy and cheering for whoever advances …
        headed to Cabo Wednesday, land back home Saturday before SB , just in time to get party prepped..

• bookman11 says:

I am the same, but opposite, pulling for Packers to lose more than 49ers to win.

Hey Stanger I am going to have to plan a trip to FT Lauderdale for Daniel to see Nova Southeast University. I will look you up when I am down there

Most cool. More than willing to offer whatever advice I can. Nova is about of my hit zone but might have something.

Nice school. We went by it on the inter coastal tour and it’s a really good school. Daniel wants to go somewhere warm I think it is right up his alley

I guess whoever wins the toss will take the ball.

KC to get up early

Tenn to start killing clock

148. bailbondmike says:

I don’t see either team putting up 30+ in that KC weather unless there is a ST or defensive score.

Way to go Sailor on the anthem!!!

Titans will win

Good start by the Titans D

Run doesn’t count 😊

Boy that was well esigned

This isn’t going how I had hoped

Andy Reid has never seen a defense that he lIked.

Let’s go Mahomes!

So that commercial about Corey Jones left a lot out. Jones broke down on an entrance ramp to I95 in an area where car jacking are common. When the cop (a rookie) approached him, Jones pulled a handgun on him. The gun was legal and Jones had a carry permit. Probably thought he was being jacked. Cop yelled at him to put it down, Jones didn’t. Cop shot him.

Let’s go!

Just 28 more points!

Piggy may be right. Titans may score 38.

This Titans team is fun to watch

Excellent game showing 2 different styles. Fun to watch.

Starting to look like a shootout guys….don’t expect me not to rub your snouts in it….I oinking will snort about it all day

Wow what a run

What’s up Mahomes?

165. naplesfan2010 says:

OMG Mahomes is outta his mind.

166. naplesfan2010 says:

naplesfan2010 says:
    January 19, 2020 at 2:30 pm

KC can’t stop Henry either, but no one can stop Mahomes.
    Titans jump out early.but can’t stop the comeback.
    KC 31 Tenn 17

Was it really necessary to see a naked pig dancing?

I can’t believe you guys are demanding I wear pants

Have you forgotten everything I’ve ever said

Again

Cmon Tanne see!

LOL Ope looked scared

Tannehill learned how to do that with his nose from Lauren…..

Olivia Culpo dated Amendola.
    Now she is with Christian Mccaffrey.
    Sounds like the NFL’s version of Alyssa Milano.

174. naplesfan2010 says:

Mahomes the runner is a heart-breaker for the Defense.

175. naplesfan2010 says:

Tennessee should’ve thrown it against that “goal line D” or at least called a TO to make KC switch out of it.

Looking I might need to switch to a Damien Williams jersey, wish I had one. 😃

177. naplesfan2010 says:

I wish we had never let Damien go.

Damean Williams plays for the Chiefs now huh?

Mahomes is too much to handle

You’re a Hooker ?!

181. naplesfan2010 says:

I thought the DB got to thr WR at the same time as the ball.

182. naplesfan2010 says:

Why was that not PI? The guy did not turn around.

Piggy pretty much nailed the score! Good job bud!

Go Chiefs !!

So now it’s pull for Chiefs because of Williams and we need to get Williams back? Lol

Tennessee TE Anthony Firkser is from my hometown. My son went to elementary school, middle school and high school with him

That pass is pretty much shielding which no longer is called but it’s usually called a PI these days when the defender doesn’t look back. IMO that looked like a PI because he never looked back.

Wow 35 points…where have I heard that before?

My brother in law went to Nova, Ken. It is a good school.

Actually both he and my sister went there. Forgot about her going there. That’s where they split their degree paths and she went administration and he kept on his medical path.

This is a blowout

191. naplesfan2010 says:

Piggy
    Great call on the Titans game score.

61910.png