Miami Dolphins QB room – A complicated trio

I don’t think there’s a position on this team with as much uncertainty. We have the veteran, last year’s rushing leader, and consummate professional in Ryan Fitzpatrick. He’s the savvy guy who was able to show impressive escapability when the blocking wasn’t up to snuff. This was something 2nd year QB (at the time) Josh Rosen couldn’t muster. Rosen was stymied by the constant pressure and although his arm strength looked as good as many NFL QB’s, his ability to understand what he saw out on the field in opposing defenses was lacking. To be fair, he was in 2 pretty poor situations, first in a woeful offense in Arizona under one and done HC Steve Wilks, and then here with the Dolphins in the midst of a team rebuild. We traded away our best OT (Laremy Tunsil) for 2 first RD picks from the Texans, but that didn’t help our QB’s in 2019. The odd thing for me was that Rosen was considered one of the most NFL ready QB’s from the 2018 Draft yet he was still having trouble identifying the “Mike” on the defensive side of the ball.

Ryan Fitzpatrick won the confidence of his teammates and DeVante Parker ended up emerging as a legitimate top level WR. Before Parker and Fitzgerald went on their torrential run from game 8 on, rookie Preston Williams was his favorite target and the rookie was having a very nice rookie season. He is clearly a leader of men, and by the end of the season Fitzgerald made it clear he wanted to return here and be the starter. The Miami Dolphins on the other hand had to look to the future, both the distant future and immediate future and drafted Tua Tagovailoa at #5. This had been discussed and predicted for so long to me it almost became a foregone conclusion. So now that leaves us with a wily veteran who has put together 2 pretty good seasons in a row with Tampa Bay and now our Dolphins. We have a young veteran QB who has endured 2 difficult seasons and it shouldn’t be discounted that many scouts questioned his desire and love for football in the first place in Josh Rosen. Then add in what I will have to consider our best QB prospect in many years, 1983 to be exact in Tua Tagovailoa.

There are a couple of wild cards that will have their play here. One of them is COVID-19 which unfortunately is running wild in Florida at the time of this writing. Nearly 10,000 new cases have devastated FLA since fully reopening. The other wild card is the actual physical health of Tua Tagovailoa. If he really is completely healed and ready to go will the Dolphins be able to keep him off the field? The COVID-19 wild card works 2 ways here. One, it may make opening camp here in FLA impossible and force a relocation if it doesn’t quiet down. It also may force the NFL to push back team activities although they are loathe to do that. They desperately want to start on time and it seems the only real concessions the NFL is going to make is lopping off a couple of preseason games. Let’s just say that they move the team to a facility that keeps them away from the general public and COVID-19 is not a factor. It will be interesting to see how things proceed. The Dolphins made it clear that they would prefer to start Fitzpatrick and he earned that right. On the other hand, if Tua truly is right physically and starts lighting things up, it will become increasingly more difficult for the Dolphins not to let their new potential star take the QB reins.

What about Josh Rosen, who has to be the most overlooked QB on the roster. Most people think he’s in danger of being cut unless the Dolphins decide to keep 3 QB’s. Last season the Dolphins carried only 2. This year, the gameday roster will increase to 48 from 46 but one of those must be an OL. It’s possible this increase could affect the decision to carry 3 QB’s, but I believe if Tua is healed that would be unnecessary. I think the one thing that Josh Rosen has in his favor is his age and inexpensive rookie contract. Ryan Fitzpatrick will turn 38 this season and Josh Rosen is 23. Keep in mind Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn’t always a starting QB, he didn’t start until he was traded to the Cincinnati Bengals after his 3rd season and then he was traded again to our rival Buffalo Bills the next season. Josh Rosen is in a similar flight pattern to Fitzgerald and maybe he finds his footing at some point. It may just come down to desire with him because he has the physical tools of an NFL QB, one with a better than average NFL arm. He has to show something this season or his career as a Miami Dolphin will likely be over.

GO DOLPHINS!!!

#staythecourse

#avoidthecovid

316 Responses to Miami Dolphins QB room – A complicated trio

May the best QB win!!!

Mike are you in FL?

it may make opening camp here in FLA

Fitz had 2 advantages over Rosen last year when dealing with the lack of pass protection, one unfair – he didn’t have to worry about getting hurt when running, because he’s at the end of his career, and he could just play with random abandonment for his body. Two – his body shape is built to withstand the contact.

If we had an average OL, I think Rosen would’ve been pretty effective, and won some games.

Rosen has other issues too, like reading a D, and appears to be far behind Tua doing it.

When you are determined to wind down

Steve – Not in FLA. Did I say something that made you think that? Was it the COVID-19 update about the 10,000 cases?

• pheloniusphish says:

Anybody seen any context with those COVID numbers? I’m curious. How many required hospitalization, any deaths?

Far as I can tell we are having a major Covid spike cause they opened up the bars. Surprise, surprise they did that and the kids went to the bars. Positive side of that is less of them go to the hospital and less die. They do spread though…. FLA is in an exponential curve.

Nice take on it Mike E. We have one of the more interesting QB situations in the league. Rosen has value though. If he goes out of the picture will not be because he is cut.

And what was the logic on this? “This year, the gameday roster will increase to 48 from 46 but one of those must be an OL. “Why OL? Is that like the big ugly emergency QB?

Hey Herd – I’ve been hanging in your neck of the woods. In a relative sense. I’ve even doing some gun work near Moorefield.

9. ElephantRider says:

Thanks and great job as always Mike E.

I completely forgot Rosen was even on the roster. Lol

Good write, Mike!

Whenever the team can start with football activities I say let the performance decide the QB position.

As for the expanded game day roster and one having to be OL, I wonder how teams will handle that. Most teams take 7 OL to the game. So can’t teams still only bring 7 to the game by saying we would have only brought 6 and then the one extra OL spot makes it 7?

It seems the O-line is the place you would want extra depth anyway, you have to occasionally rotate guys in anyway, and then if you have an injury or two, you have to have at least 7 at a minimum.

My moms aunt (who lives in west palm beach) has COVID

Be careful down there in fla guys
    It’s spreading like crazy

I think protests and Trump rallies are both fucking stupid and almost a guarantee to spread this shit around.

Cam Newton to the Pats has nothing to do with the Dolphins path. If he becomes their starting QB you just have to defend him differently. We added plenty of players to do that.

Knew it was only a matter of time until Cam signed with the Pats

Son got his dream, Cam’s a QB in the AFC East. Oops, it’s the Patriots

pheloniusphish says:
    June 28, 2020 at 2:21 pm (Edit)

Moorefield is a good distance from me. Used to have a cabin near Canaan Valley. Haven’t been in that area in years.

Cam doesn’t fit in NE, he’s not an accurate short pass kind of QB. Wonder if king cheat changes the O.

• New Age says:

Its a very interesting development. Pats have the perfect OL for a running QB but is Cam willing to do that now? I’m sure he is if it keeps him in the NFL. I just don’t know how willing he is to do the necessary learning and grinding, much less how well considering COVID. If Harbaugh can reinvent his offense, then I know Belichick can. Pats never make anything easy. Time for Bill to retire.

He took a lot of hits that other QBs were getting roughing penalties on. I wonder, being on the cheats, if he now gets them.

some noise about rosen going to the bucs for a 5th

Watched the Redskins game last night, and he really looked bad. Not to say he still can’t be a good QB, but he’s awful right now against pressure.

Rosen for a 5th now is stupid. I’d rather keep him for 2 more years and cut him. Our FO has said they’re in no hurry to trade him. Why would getting a 5th change that? We had 2 5ths burning a hole in our pocket this past draft.

We need a backup QB next year he’d be cheap still. I think he will adjust to the NFL once our line settles in. Against the Redskins our OL was getting pummeled, and he couldn’t handle it, but that’s tough on a young QB.

Unless Rosen has big plans to be a starting QB somewhere I’d like him to be our #2 in 2021. First choice would be to resign Fitz on the cheap to be our Earl Morrall.

Another good ruling by the SCOTUS…

Wait so Rosen isn’t worth a 3rd? 🤔
    LOL

WTF? Was some team supposed to sign him to a bunch of money even though they didn’t want to just because? If Newton was worth 15-16 million to a team, they would have f$%^ing signed him.

That’s the entitlement some players feel they deserve. Forget about what his market is… I mean how can anyone do business like that?

It’s ridiculous. I mean the market determines the value of a player. how hard is that? lol

Bam!!!!!

We don’t even know how healthy he really is, and how he’ll get along with belicheat.

Cam is quite the rebel. I think it’s from his fruity side.

I don’t think it’s a given that he’ll even have moderate success in NE.

I actually think he’s the 5th or 6th ranked QB in the AFC East!

I’m not sure he makes it out of camp. When running QBs start to breakdown physically, they are general done. See Culpepper, RG3, Vick…

I don’t think he’ll be super productive there either. He just isn’t built for their system. We’ll see. Belicheat is terrific at using players to their strength, so he may find a good use for Cam, but I don’t see him lighting it up.

Cav, how’s the fire season going? NV is starting to burn, fires in the north and south.

Surprisingly nothing real major so far that I’m aware of. We had something out towards Napa a few weeks ago. It’s only a matter of time till we get lit up though. We had an extremely dry winter, so we’re back in drought warning and ripe for a major season.

Fan articles is all I can find on the rumors of Rosen to Tampa.

No thanks MikeE. I think I will pass. LOL

Cam Newton sure ain’t Tom Brady. Maybe the evil genius wants to show off what a genius he is, including a new O scheme.

I sorta of like the extra innings starting with a runner on 2nd….. or maybe it would be better on 1st. 18 inning games are a something…. but still 2 games.

I’m not really a fan of “giving” somebody a double! I’d rather see a 12 inning tie!
        The rest????????? Other than the DH, did they really have to write it down?

Leaving it at a tie would be another option…. hockey deals with them.
        Never been a fan of the DH though , but maybe cause a national league guy.
        Strategy becomes so much more when yank the pitcher or not is in there.

I wonder how the extra innings runner on 2nd is determined. Does the coach use a bench player who isn’t injected into a position? Or is it the next batter up starts on 2nd?

LOL @ brawling being prohibited.

I’m gonna guess without knowing that would be your first batter up (or in this case not up). But of course you could do a line up change for a speedster.

I would think it would be like softball, when you need a runner it was last man out.

Brawling prohibited sounds like desperation to get fans back lol.Tonight’s doubleheader, we have baseball with a mix of gladiators in an arena.

The Astros have to feel pretty lucky this whole COVID thing derailed the season (relatively speaking of course). Once everything picks up and games start, they’ll still get crap for being the MLB Patriots, but I’m betting it won’t be nearly as bad as it would have been if the season had been played normally.

Stang, I’m with ya on the DH.

Another reason is cause if you gonna go high and behind after something happens…… you should also have to step up to the plate.

36. Krishna says:

“The left doesn’t like scientific facts, like a fetus is a human being at conception.” from steveccnv.

Wow…just got back from vacation and read the stupidest scientific “fact ” and political comment ever!

Science: conception is a one half DNA from man and one half DNA from woman meeting. That’s what scientific fact states and NEVER has called it a human being. I could espouse on the embryological development, but what’s the point. Even the body aborts most times than not at this point.

Then, blame the left? Are you, in fact, even human with a comment like that?

Stick to football as that seems to be your only ASSet.

What’s 3 batter minimum?

Steve,
    I did’t know that about softball rules. It being last man out would make a heck of a lot of sense than next batter or bench player.

Alright Rock, be boring . . . lol

I heard the runner on 2nd in extra innings will be the last batted out.

Steve,
    As opposed to bringing in a pitcher to face only one batter (say lefty vs lefty matchup), then bringing in another pitcher. The idea of 3 batter minimum is to speed up the game by having fewer pitching substitutions.

Because if the game is 3 hours instead of 3.5 hours, you can’t catch COVID…….

It says remains in effect. Didn’t know that was ever a rule. So in years past a pitcher in extra innings had to face 3 batters, before a pitching change?

It hasn’t been in play before. It looks like they put it into effect for the 2020 season even before COVID hit. So they were trying something new to shorten the game.

And it looks like it’ll be 3 batter minimum or end of a half frame, i.e. if the pitcher faces 3 batters or gets the last out of an inning, you can replace him next inning.

Steve, the 3 batter minimum was never in effect in my lifetime

Leake is just the first of who knows how many players that will opt out. MLB doesn’t have a lot of physical contact compared to the NFL, it may be a bad sign for an NFL season if a lot of MLB players opt out.

Not sure about that. NFL players have a shorter career so they may be willing to risk more than MLB players who have the strongest union in the world.

That is a good point. I hope you’re right. I know it’s selfish, but I don’t really care, I just want some football.

steveccnv says:
    June 29, 2020 at 3:28 pm

As opposed to what?
    ———————————————-
    I take the three batter rule meaning that the pitcher thats brought in cant be brought in pitch to one batter and then bring in a different pitcher, they have to pitch to at least 3 batters.

Basketball and baseball are getting ready to open up….. but no fans in the stands. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

When pollution gets so bad, and the ozone is gone and Cyberdine Systems starts hunting humans, we will all have to watch sports remotely anyways. Might as well get started on that. I mean what are ya missing, a 10 dollar hotdog weak 10 dollar beers, and having to smell some person flatulence but you cant even deck them because there too many potential sources to zero in on them?

D — not gonna live long enough to see all that. Plus and a minus on that one. I sure do like going to Phins games though. And I want a beer…. I pay for a beer.

Rather watch Steve and Krishna go at it about at what point life begins than talk ping pong….errrr….baseball.

50. Krishna says:

And, I always read the articles….especially the take on QBs. Nice, Mike E, and thank you.

I think Fitz is are starter from day one based on merit, leadership, knowledge, and experience of the game. No other QB has the team. He does!

Tua can heal and learn….the more he lets his body get back to 100%, the better his chance to succeed injury free, imo. Watch and learn. What’s a year? Sheesh….we are not there yet, anyway.

Rosen, I believe still has value and we should try to protect that investment, as I see it, as who else would there be as a replacement? Why not have 3 QBs at the start of the season, hopefully, and see if a team needs help before the season…..uh, if there is a season.

Thanks Krishna – It’s nice having the Ferrari in the garage though, isn’t it?

• Krishna says:

Yep….which is the Ferrari? Tua? Not yet, imo, or at the very least, still in production or maybe shipping.

• Krishna says:

I want to make the point that the QB position is a position of leadership, as well as, skill. You need both, imo. Fitz has the TEAM. It is not Tua’s yet and nor should it be.

Yes, Tua. I’m of the same mindset Krishna, I’d prefer Fitz to play but I do thi9nk if he’s really healthy and ready and Fitz is playing poorly, we’ll see Tua sooner than later.

• Krishna says:

I would have to see what you mean by Fitz playing poorly….we saw what he was doing last year early.

• Krishna says:

Unless, our OL is substantially improved, I believe Tua will have issues seeing bigger, badder, faster, mofo’s than he ever saw in college behind an NFL-caliber OL.

I will say he can throw the quick 1-2 slant. Try taking 5-7 step drops and the line collapsing….like last year, over and over. Tua will be killed, imo.

Stanger – No, we decided not to, too late a start and too hard to get all our guys together. I’m cool with that, I’ll go to the beach instead. 🙂

Probably makes the most sense….. but least softball/baseball has the best social distancing after golf and tennis. Biggest danger might be the dugout.

The thing about Tua healing, there is a time when doctors will say it’s not going to heal anymore than it is now. So another 3-4 months or whatever isn’t going to make a difference. If you want him to sit and learn that’s a different situation.

Tua is 7 months into his rehab.

It’s not just the body healing when I say that, it’s getting back to where he was before the injury or better. As you’re healing, you’re probably still limited in things you can do. I’d like him to be past that and doing as much or more than he did, and feel no discomfort while doing so.

• Krishna says:

Ligaments healing in 7 months vs 10-12 months makes a huge difference.

He didn’t have any ligament damage, he dislocated his hip and fractured the hip wall. Regardless, it was a serious injury, a traumatic injury to the body. It probably takes a lot of rehabilitation to get back to where he was, if he ever can do that.

Similarity #1 – They are all male.
    Similarity #2 – They all call themselves running backs
    Similarity #3 – ………. Come on guys, give me a hand here.

Looks like SI assumes, if healthy Cam will be better than Brady. That’s a big if, at his age his rushing yards won’t be what they were, so that completely changes his game.

You can’t compare stats from the last time Cam was healthy and Brady last year, then expect the cheats to be what they were, based on something they are not🤔

This will be really the Belichick or Brady moment. If he wins completely revmaping his whole offense to fit Newton’s skillset then it was Belichick and his plays design, etc. If not then it was Brady, so i guess the answer will be forthcoming.

You gotta factor in what Brady does in Tampa too, no pun intended. Maybe they’re both deserving. Brady devoted himself to being the best as did Belicheat.

Did we think maybe Marino wasn’t that great, that it was all Shula🤔

The recent big signing was Ely (road) Apple to the Panthers, Josh Norman who🙄

Not football related but LOL

I’m shocked out how much love Cam and the Patriots are getting. It’s like they signed Cam circa 2015, not the Cam Newton that has played 4 average years after that. I’m not sure if it’s just the Patriots and Belichick that get the benefit of doubt here or what. Like if the Bengals signed Cam are they going to be great?

The media hasn’t known what to do with their mouth since the divorce! 😉

Below average to be honest. Seems to coincide with the time at which he started wearing scarf hats to press conferences.

Think of how much they would have mocked the move if we had done it lol.

He played 2 games last year

After basically have 24:13 and 22:16 years in ‘17 and ‘18

2015 feels like a long time ago
      But I guess the logic is that Belicheat will get him back to that form

Really if you look at his career 2015 is an anomaly
      At the time, I thought maybe he turned the corner and was ready to dominate
      But 2016 – 2019 are at best average
      And 2011-2014 were also pretty similar

He’s not really dominating the league like he did in 2015

D – I was being kind with Cam. I agree. I’m also shocked at all my friends who are big football fans that they regard Cam Newton so highly. I just don’t get it. They obviously must be thinking of his MVP year and not the rest of his career since then

2015 was a great year for him
      But look at his career numbers, they aren’t so good

Sometimes, especially a former #1 pick national champion who set college football on fire, only has to sniff it once for people to think that’s who he is generally

Newton had a great year at Auburn in his final season there
      And a great 2015 in the nfl

And that’s what people associate him with

I guess some do. Others have seen his his passer rating in the mediocre range his whole career and argued with Son of a Son about him……

😉

well, when they have to pare down the offense because he can’t grasp all of it they will be going with Stidham who at least knows the system. Cam will be backing him up and will be elsewhere next season.

I know a dolphins fan who is also an auburn fan and they are all whining about this move, i was like ummmm Stidham, it was already going to be an Auburn QB, now its just a different one.

LOL, more than likely the same one. (Stidham) when Cam fails to pick up the system.

Rosen isn’t the only QB who has had / will have trouble picking up the multiple requirements of the offense NE runs.

I guess if we didn’t have Son here slobberin’ all over Cam we might be in the same boat. lol

Even in his MVP 2015 year he didn’t break 100 passer rating. He is a big running back that can huck the ball.

OBTW SON ITYS

The comparison for Cam is Joe Flacco. What did he do after that great SB run? You might even say Eli after the 2nd SB, but I think Eli was better after those 2 great SBs.

What Cam has going for him is Belicheat, a pretty good D, and an OL that knows how to hold and not get caught, but if he throws like he has the last couple of years it won’t matter.

Richard Sherman was on twitter asking “How many former league MVP’s have had to sign for league minimum”. Called him a transcendent talent lol. Still my probklem isnt with his judgement, though that should be in question, but its the “have had to” part that bothers me. I mean the guy signed the contract, a contract his agent negotiated for him and with his approval, where is the “had to”

This is the mentality of people today, no one is ever satisfied.

The Patriots are paying him less than Auburn! 😉

I still don’t understand what Sherman is hoping to accomplish with that statement other than coming off as a whiny bitch.

Should the league give Cam more money since he was forced to sign a contract that Sherman felt was unworthy? wtf

Yeah thats been my problem with some of the declaratives i have been hearing recently. This is unfair this is wrong, Whats unair about it, and what change is needed. Help me help you. Let me see what needs to be changed. Liek its wrong Cam had to take contract. !) why did he have to take it, whats your source of whats forcing him. Why is it unfair he took it. Whats the scope of the unfairness, and what would you say is the alternate to what happened.

I mean, if he were to have said, i believe that a player minimum should be the base of a minimum salary for a player and each accolade earned raises that base by a factor of X, or X Y Z depending on the accolade, then we are talking a solid argument at that point.

That just sounds like an charged statement where he is insinuating something but doesn’t want to come out and call it like he sees it. Also, i mean come on man, who are you to set the values of every player. I think the sheer fact that a contract was offered and accepted say fairness. Nothing about agreeing to work for a pay thats being offered says unfair.

Completely agree. And I like the point you make in your 2nd paragraph. If Sherman qualified his statements win that way it changes the entire statement and the conversation.

Dang, Carl Reiner died. Thats a big boy comedy genius. Hope that doesnt mean that Mel Brooks is gonna be a part of that three.

I read an article about how we now see what Belicheat’s brilliant master plan was.

So wait a minute, lol, his master plan was to wait until every team in the league passed on signing Cam, then sign him for basically league minimum with incentives. His master plan was to kick the tires on Newton?

The media Belicheat BJ bus has left the damned station, and the bus is full.

LOL, one tiny prick will all these open orifices to poke it in, OH JOY!

His wife must be estatic, or bored. Honey how about a BJ tonight, nah babe, already had 20 at work, you know how media guys can be.

At least we know why Belicheat never gives reporters any answers in his press conferences. Everyone knows you never tell a prostitute anything. You pay ’em and move on to Cincinnati, lol.

Why not, it worked with Brady. He waited until every team passed on him in the draft.

Well, there you have it, no reason to discuss this any further, Tua to start week 1, because coaches from other teams say so.

“According to every coach I’ve spoken to, it’s a foregone conclusion that he will beat out veteran journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick and start Week 1 against the Patriots on Sept. 13,” Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman wrote in May.

Mike, seeing Tua training videos looks to me like a guy who’s physically fine and reports have been that he’s doing remarkably well. When I say let him compete, I also mean that he’s good to go.

It comes down to a philosophical difference on to start a new guy this early int he rebuild or get him out there take his lumps but get the experience. I dotn really have a good bead on which Flores is, so im not sure how it will go. Im just rolling with it, if he starts thats what they wanted, and if he doesnt same thing.

Yeah that’s basically it. My point is if he’s healthy to compete and he was the best QB in practice and in the PS games, he should play just like any other position.

I do hope that if he is healthy he plays a lot in PS. Fitz doesn’t need a PS game, Rosen and Tua could definitely use as much time as they can have out there.

Flores has said that he doesn’t care whether you’re a veteran or rookie or FA or draftee. He’ll play who earns the spot. That’s all that really matters. If that’s not just coach speak and Tua comes in and proves he’s the best QB on the team, he’ll play. If he can come in as a rookie and unseat Fitz, that’s a good thing because Fitz is a solid veteran QB…not great but certainly good enough to start for NFL teams. That would be a good sign for Tua and the Dolphins. If he can’t, it’s not the end of the world, and Tua sits and learns. What he does this year isn’t really the point anyway.
    ***
    I’m much more interested in watching this OL battle and work itself out. Surprised? Lol

I agree and I do think Flores believes in the best players play regardless of status. Obviously certain players are expected to start due to their status. As an example it would obviously be a problem if Howard and Byron Jones didn’t start if healthy.

The OL should be very interesting to watch because it’s going to be mostly a new lineup.

IF Tua can come in and win the battle fairly then it will be incredible. Especially because Fitz has 4-5 years experience in this offense already.

This is an interesting and koolaide encouraging stat

Defensive tackle Davon Godchaux produced more tackles within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage than any other interior defender in football in 2019.

He is very underrated. He’s stout, he’s active and has a non-stop motor. He’s one of my favorite players on the team. He’s a high character guy and a hard worker. Him, Wilkins and my sleeper Davis could be a formidable group on the interior DL.

Tim – I’ve seen the training videos. I want to see how he handles getting hit and hitting the turf after being taken down. Nothing they do simulates that. Then we’ll see if he’s healed and able to do what he used to do.

There’s only one way to find that out. Like I said if doctors clear him and say you’re good to go and Tua feels he’s good to go, it’s time to compete. If he was still on crutches or was wearing some other supportive device and not doing any physical activity that relates to football, I wouldn’t even be talking about this.

Cap could go down based on what happens cause of Covid this season. Here’s how Barry Jackson put it for us.

“The problem is that the Dolphins could go from having more than a prepandemic projection of $60 million in 2021 space to barely any if the cap drops dramatically. That’s why unless the Dolphins give extensions, it’s helpful if Miami carries over most of its remaining space, which should be in the $14 million range after signing two remaining draft picks and filling out a practice squad.”

How does that effect only Miami?

You must be listening to the Douglie Do Wrongs of the world, our cap space is currently 20.7M with an additional net of 2M to be used for our last 2 draft picks.

Roughly a net of 8.75M to sign our rookies, if they all make the team, when you consider each time a rookie is signed the bottom guy falls off the top 51, until you get to about 4th rounders, then you get a net gain (assuming they make the team). I’m also assuming the bottom 11 on the roster had a cap hit of 750K. 17M gross for our rookies, but when you’re working with a running cap you have to use the net value.

Practice squad guys count a little over a million against the cap as a group, so reduce the 18.7M to 17.5M for us.

Mostly what they’re talking about is not a lowering of the cap, but a lowering of the projected cap. The 60M in space was based on the cap increasing 40 or so million from this year, that’s not likely to happen now, and there could be some gate receipt loss, but I don’t know, if they can reduce next years cap based on this year’s gate receipts.

Cam has a YouTube video out with him playing basketball with his boys in a backyard, and he’s not exactly the nimblest out there. He looked big, old, and slow.

Tim – It would affect every NFL team if they lower the cap.

Mets sign 2nd RD pick J.T. Ginn. At least we drafted him in the 2nd RD and not the first. 😉

Maybe Adam Schefter blocked me????????

Happy Canada Day!

Let’s try it again?

Nice pension. Mahomes will make in one year what Bobby made for that entire contract. The Lakers gave Magic a 25 year 25M contract back in the day.

I didn’t realize, (I mean I was aware of it, obviously because I watched the draft and discussed it afterward) that we drafted an offensive linemen in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds. If we didn’t have those other 1st’s and 2nd round pick maybe I would have noticed more.

I think it is great that Grier has finally taken SUBSTANTIAL steps to fix the o-line. Two “starter worthy” free agents and three high draft picks hopefully will finally give us the depth and quality we need.

84. bailbondmike says:

Yeah, we need a little depth in some areas but we are much better than we were last year. At least on paper. Our depth is just going to be a little inexperienced in this system. I can see a start like last season where it will take some time for the team to gel. mainly OL.

85. bailbondmike says:

As far as Cam to Pats. Meh. People are under rating Stidham. He is better than people think. Cam won’t beat him out.

He is more prototype, Cam is just a athletic and physical gifts freak of nature. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Belichick use him differently than standard QB package. I mean the guy is an athlete, you use him the right way and he could be a deadly offensive force, Qb might not be the best way to use him, though he could still fill that role and open the playbook to more advanced plays like double pass and wildcat, etc. Those could become more a standard mix into their system and they could utilize Cam as a TE or HB or whatever on other plays. 7 mil isnt much for a QB, but its a decent paycheck for a gadget guy who you are figuring out how to use him.

Cam isn’t exactly a team player, he’s not going to NE to be a gadget player, he’s there on a 1 year show me contract, if he plays something other than QB, then him being a QB in the future is likely over. He has incentives in his contract, I believe, to be a QB. He hasn’t signed yet, so can’t find all the details.

Stidham i wasnt really impressed with at Auburn though he did progress from year 1 to 2 with them. He still doesn’t handle pressure well and he still is or at least was really raw with his QB talents. They are all there, arm, footwork, pocket presence, etc but he just isnt exceptionally good at any of those. He also hasn’t shown too much about reading defenses since he was in a system that was pretty much a 1st read and dump system. We cant really say where he got in year 1 under Belichick, but if he polished up those skills some he could be a really good pro. Jury is still out for me.

If we approach the draft again, the same kinda way, heavy on the OL, we will have out depth there, i dont mind if depth is young as long as those young guys are potential next man up guys. To me thats the idea of starting players/vs depth, the depth players need to consist of guys who are waiting for their turn. Hungry guys who push the bottom to be very stout, they need to be guys who have a chance to be starters so they play like they want to be one. That requires having a solid starting lineup and then your drafts add those players in the depth department, and then contract negotiations are easier, etc because if your starter walks, your new starter moves up and then you keep adding to that layer, not drafting starters.

Agreed, plus some of the young guys that they forced into action last season as first or 2nd year players will get better with experience. I remember a few years ago there was a free agent former probowl guard that came available and some on here were clamoring for (I can’t remember his name right now) but he had been on our practice squad 4 years earlier. The guy went from practice squad to “too good” to afford for the team that picked him up.

I have seen TONS of our cast offs starting on other teams after some more development. Hopefully we start developing them and keeping them here.

When you have depth, you don’t need to keep guys you drafted, you just let them walk, unless they take a team friendly deal. A couple of key guys you keep, but they mainly walk.

Some positions there is just too much involved in going through a re-train, LT is usually one, but you need a really stand out guy with attributes like elite footwork that you cant find in most drafts, you pick and choose who you want to keep for those attributes and cost to the team in the drop off between them and your next man up. If the drop off isnt severe you dont pay the big contract, if it is, or its a very key position to have continuity, you pay them. NE does this, its a really good way to be able to keep rolling along and create a dynasty.

Steve, i think in Cam’s mind he didn’t go to NE to be a gadget player, but if he can’t win the starting job, that’s exactly what he’ll be.

So the real questions are: is NE going to change their offensive system to better fit Cam? If not, can Cam beat out Hoyer and Stidham in the existing system? It takes more than just physical talent to run their system and he’ll be behind both in knowledge.

It was me that prognosticated that not Steve, i dont want him to suffer for my bad crystal ball reading lol.

I communicated my point poorly (been one of those morning where everything comes out wrong, lol). I am agreeing that he will probably end up being a gadget player.

I responded to your post that’s what Kong was referring to. Cam just comes across as too selfish to me, for him to stoop to being a gadget player, and he’d be committing QB suicude.

They could use Cam like NO does with Taysom Hill?

Thats kinda what im thinking. This is a new trend, we have a Taysom Hill kinda guy, several others have added them. I think it just adds a dimension to the system thats hard to account for and i think Cam would be pretty good at that role IF he returns to full health.

I genuinely think Belicheat had that in mind with the signing. If Cam out performs Stidham/ Hoyer and wins the starting job, then it is a big win for him, if not, they are paying him to be a weapon. I’m just speculating of course, and seeing as I still haven’t received that call to manage an NFL team, I’m probably wrong, lol.

I just have a hard time believing if you think this guy is your guy and is likely to win the starting QB position that you wait until the rest of the league has passed on him and sign him on the cheap. IDK, maybe I’m making too much out of that.

They didnt pay him much, i think it leave room to use him as they want, but yeah i mean i guess if he straight up wins a QB competition they just roll a different direction, but witht he way this kinda backup QB bbut still part of the starting offense thing is rolling it makes sense to have a guy in a traditionally emergency only position as a viable part of the offense. Any guy you can activate on your roster that covers multiple roles is a huge asset come game time when you are restricted to 46 total players dressing.

I re-read it, you stated it fine i think, i just interpreted it wrong. You are saying Cam doesn’t see it that way but thats the way maybe Belichick sees it, or at least thats Belichicks backup plan,

If i could get a halfway decent FG kicker that could play another position id be all over it, there are usually 3 positions both on the 53 and on the 46 active you have to have open for ST’s but what if they could be more, whats if your LS could also play OC well enough to be a backup there. What if the PK could also punt or play another position, etc. Then your roster gets to keep an extra dude that it would normally have to cut when trimming down to the 53, and you have another dude you could have that could cover an extra position on the 46 active, meaning you could keep another guy active at a different position. My guess is that the NFL is slowly sliding that way, its been tru e int he past a little people like Crash Jensen, Welker, and a few others, but it seems to be trending these days so i wonder how much more of it starts to occur.

Crash was the MAN!!!!!!!
      My favorite Dolphin ever!!!!

I disagree, we’re in the specialist age. Why have your place kicker punt, and just be Ok at it to save a position for a scrub. It’s too important of a position. There’s a reason most pitchers can’t hit.

I disagree too. More about the guy playing STs, offense, or defense though. I don’t want my kicker taking unnecessary hits. If he gets hurt in the middle of the season, then you’re screwed. It would be nice to get a guy that can kick and punt at elite level, but I wouldn’t even look for a guy that could also play special teams or play on O or D.

I am surprised more guys don’t do both. I know they are different skills, but you’d think we’d have some guys that could do it. Didn’t Pat Mcafee of the Colts punt and kick?

Cam is only making 1M this year, but the position he plays has nothing to do with that. Those incentives might dictate how he’s used, but never in a million years will he put his body through something like what Gronk did. He has money no reason to get injured for peanuts.

Besides Richard Sherman wont stand for it😉

Guys who can’t play coach, QBs that weren’t good enough do whatever to play, QBs that were once great don’t play like Jim Jensen.

We have lots of FAs that haven’t signed yet. Guys like Rashad Jones, Talib, Clive, Kilgore, Walt Aikens and some scrubs.

I expect some of these guys will be playing this year, but it’s been really tough on them with the stay at home.

LOL @ ‘the Jackson’

Barry has come up in the world, he’s a ‘the’ now.

I knew he progressed last year, but I had no idea McMillian was our best graded defender.

96. TryPod says:

Mets on this list a few times- lol:

HOLY SHIT! Bonilla gets 500K a year for 25 years on another deal as well!!! WTF were they thinking!!?? We owe you 5.9 Mil why don’t we make it 25 mil and call it even?

I had never heard this part before either

At the time, Mets ownership was invested in a Bernie Madoff account that promised double-digit returns, and the Mets were poised to make a significant profit if the Madoff account delivered — but that did not work out.

Mike, get me a job with the Mets😜

I like the part where he says the cheats thought they had a really good D, until the schedule got better. 61 pts the first 8, then gave up 164 pts the last 8.

Just in case anyone wanted to know how to grow your balls. Went looking for LaMello Balls height and found this question.

Press the growth balls in the soil near the plant roots. This packing is sufficient for 0,5 m2 of bottom or 2 plant baskets. As the plant grows from March till August it should be fertilized every 6 to 8 weeks. Available in packaging of 50 pieces.

Steve – I love that movie. I was looking for it a few times, nowhere to be found. My favorite line in that movie is when Annette O’Toole is with that douchebag boyfriend of her and Robbie Benson starts to say “I think . . . ” and the boyfriend cuts him off and says “No you don’t!”

I don’t want to get into politics too much, but got a laugh out of how NYC is planning to paint BLACK LIVES MATTER in front of Trump Tower. Am sure just happened to be where they thought the best spot for it was. 🙂

It’s not like they could put it in front of City Hall! 😉

They can paint whatever they want on the streets. Had a homeless encampment set up in downtown Fort Lauderdale and I was like “WHY?” Folks in my dentist’s office across the street sure weren’t happy. But is what it is.

Stanger, you can’t send in a contractor to paint the street when it’s being used as a living space! 😉

I can say I called that one , but so have a lot of folks. I did call it a couple days ago when they canceled the HOF game though. So that’s like calling shotgun.

Someone had fun with video shop (is that a thing?)

Here’s some more. DRINK UP FELLAS

OMG! LOL This was a reply to the Dolphins tweet above. ROFLMAO!

Im not saying they start on O or D, but a Punter that can also kick FG, or vice versa, i think is possible to have a guy who can do both, but im more saying that have a guy that can fill a backup spot, like the LS who can play OC, as a backup, or a Kicker who can also play WR or some other position in a pinch. I dont see an issue with it, and yeah i wouldnt put them in unless i ran through my other reserves but simply having a guy who can, means you dont have to dress an extra reserve OC as in my scenario. That leaves you the ability to dress an additional DT for example in a game where you need to rotate them because you are going against a team that pounds the ball up the middle. ST might have been a bad example, i was more commenting on players that you could use, like Cam at QB but you could also play them at alternate positions, meaning you carry three QB’s and use him in other roles, but if you have a fluke situation you wind up with another guy who can come in and play the rest of the game. Multi-player positions are becoming more the norm these days, and im just saying, as an additional change to the game you might see ST players doing some of the same. Think Crash Jensen, thats the type of thing im talking about.There are a bunch og them coming out of the NFL right now that can play like LB and RB, or DB and WR.

You have to also think about the rule changes that as getting rid of the need to have a stud FG kicker, or other rules that are limiting the need for a guy who excels at KR, etc.Versatility is becoming the name of the game.

Versatile players are always a bonus. The LS is not just a guy who snaps the ball, he also blocks for punts, then covers the return – he also snaps and blocks for FGs and Xpts. That position is a specific job. A 300+ lb. backup center can’t do that.

109. ElephantRider says:

Am I supposed to be worried about Cam playing for the Cheatriots?
    Maybe 5 years ago. Lol

GO FINS

Today it’s the Elk!
    Will it be the pigs tomorrow???

They won’t stop until the left denounces it, then the locally run dems can do something, but they’d rather tear down the country.

They’re more interested in making sure Trump denounces the new hoax Russian story reported by the NY times.

How the cheats were able to get Cam in and stay under salary cap. They signed him to a league min with incentives that go against next years cap. Not sure why someone needed an article to state the obvious.

Today’s SI spotlight is on Van Ginkel, they said he played about 60 snaps each the last 2 games and really came on, with 6 tackles against the cheats and had a sack against Darnold.

It’s going to be hard for him to get PT, but a good thing for the team. We don’t need guys that aren’t good against the pass in there on obvious passing situations, so the key will be to stop the run and force teams to pass, if we can do that, this D can be really good.

Even more so this year with the added depth, we’ll see lots of different packages, the OL and QBs we’ll face won’t be able to get comfortable.

We brought in 3 good run defenders/edge setters in FA with Lawson, Ogbah, and Van Noy, and i don’t think it was by accident Flores targeted run defenders. Once we stop the run its lights out like the 1982 SB team that featured the bruise brothers and killer Bs.

We’ve gone from having the worst roster in maybe the last 20 years in the NFL, to having one that should be very competitive against any team. I think most of us are excited about the 2020 version of the Fins.

We could say, because of the pandemic, we’re losing out on this offseason, when so many key new players have come aboard, but you could also say, if not for the pandemic we may not have gotten Tua at #5.

I can’t imagine the Fins being in a better place right now, considering where they were 7 weeks into last season, than they are right now.

Besides all the player changes, we were good at times last year, because of scheme, despite the lack of talent, so add what Flores does with the scheme to now having talent and we could be real good this year.

CavalierKong says:
    July 2, 2020 at 10:54 am
    Pfffft, he just writes that off. What a dick.

I THINK I heard the tone of Tongue in cheek humor in this post, but it made me want to respond because I got into it with this kid at my work (LOL Kid, he’s 30) about tax right offs.

He just could not understand that if you donate a million bucks to a charity that you don’t pay a million bucks less in taxes. I went round and round and finally gave up with a “ok, you know everything, I’m wrong, good bye” with an eye roll.

Reminds me of trying to explain the NFL salary cap. People that are arithmetically challenged have a hard time understanding these things.

LOL, you heard right.

I was going to add that if Ross really wants to help the needy and oppressed, he should get a tattoo.

Back on this site for the first time in several weeks; Just a few comments;
    1) Those complaining about the baseball season being WAY TOO LONG will get to test out a 60 game season. How high–or low–will the ratings be?
    2) Will the NHL EVER DECIDE on which 2 cities will host the playoffs?? They are running out of time!
    3) Y’all be healthy and ultra CAREFUL!!

you and the missus stay safe!

OD,
      I’m really hoping we get a chance to finish the NHL season. The Blues have/had a solid chance to repeat, and it may be another 50 years before we get the chance to win another cup, lol.

CavalierKong says:
    July 2, 2020 at 10:54 am

Pfffft, he just writes that off. What a dick.

D says:
    July 2, 2020 at 1:18 pm

I know right, i mean as long as he supports Trump fuck his money send that shit somewhere else.

I dont care if Ross gets a tax break or not, a gift of millions is a HUGE gift to an organization that allows them to do a lot of good with it. If Hitler donated millions to a food relief program id be right there saying well thank you Hitler for your donation, now could you please return to hell where you belong, but have a safe trip at least.

CavalierKong says:
    July 2, 2020 at 1:14 pm

LOL, you heard right.

———————————————-
    Gotta be a tramp stamp, because thats what all the classy peeps get. Or better yet, BLM across his forehead, ebcause we all know what writing something in a blog or something like that gets you street cred for being part of the cause, image how much street cred he’d get for that on his forehead, or he could paint parking lot at HRS with BLM because thats how all the cool ploticians are letting people know they are down…..not that they were down any of the other thousands of days of their tenue, but ya know….

in case my jokes are hitting wide of the mark…where is mike? he gets me… 💖

LOL

Anyway, Kenny Stills called out Ross for donating 13 mil to RISE, because ‘it’s a tax write off’ (paraphrased). Then not too long after that, Stills tweets the new tattoo he got representing BLM and the civil rights stuff. That is where I’m coming from…

I had a guy call me years ago about saving money on my mortgage payment. He says we can lower it $200 a month, and JUST (love that word used in marketing) add 5 years to your mortgage. I said I’ll be paying out more in the long run. How is that saving me money? He says you’ll be paying less each month.

I suppose there really are people that believe that shit. I mean, if I was having trouble making the payment that would be one thing, but…

That’s how all loans are now a days!

When you tell them you want to see the bottom line, they give you a blank stare.
      Then start talking about lowering your payments again!

steve you are smarter than others. Most folks only worry about the payments…. whether on a car or a mortgage.

Ross would look good with this!

The contract may not be a risk, but if they are counting on him to be the man and he’s not…there’s your risk. You just bet your season on a QB that you couldn’t check out.

I was looking at the numbers. I didn’t realize the Pets had basically no cap room. So it could be they didn’t sign him earlier because they just couldn’t afford him until his price dropped. (Me giving the idea they might be looking at him to be their starter more credence.)

ROCKPHIN & CAVKONG; Good to hear back from both of you. And, Mike, your well thought out and researched columns are like fine wine that gets better with aging. They remain very informative.
    Most of you are aware that I spent over a decade in the medical industry as an X-Ray and CT Scan tech both in the Army and in civilian life. I still have a few contacts I can contact when I need medical advice. One of those “contacts” told me that it’s highly likely 2 or more vaccines will be available around January for the Coronavirus. But the devil is in the distribution of the vaccine(s). It’s going to be a bigger job than you might think to get the vast majority of Americans innoculated.
    Many are going to reject the vaccine(s) on religious grounds. Others will reject it because, as my source says, “they are SHIT FOR BRAINS YOUNGER PEOPLE who believe they just don’t NEED to be vaccinated.” Others will find reasons from A to Z not to get the vaccine. BOTTOM LINE? — Enough people will choose NOT to get vaccinated to the point that the VIRUS will STILL be very active in the United States many months after the vaccine hits the market. This contact says the only way to kill the VIRUS is to make it a LAW that everyone lacking a legal MEDICAL EXCUSE MUST GET VACCINATED. He went on to say he thought congress lacked the balls to pass such a law. –I responded “A vast army of interest groups will invade Washington to insist Congress passes a law AND ENFORCES IT!”
    We ended the conversation agreeing to disagree. BUT, I have to say, he gave me something to think about.

STAY SAFE!!

I know the logistics of manufacturing and distributing 320 Mil doses are mind boggling. (if everyone were to get one.) Think about just getting the little bottles.

I will have to agree to disagree as well. I will go so far as to bet you again $100.00. No such law would pass. The red hats would cry outrage and trampling of freedom and the flat earthers would claim that there is some nefarious scheme behind it. (racking or mind control) 75% of the people could cry out for it to be passed but that 25% has the power to scare politicians enough Timothy Turtle in the Senate would not even let it come to a vote.

Ross is a shallow MFer. He actually makes more even more money donating all that money to black organizations. It’s called “The Whitey Clause” so whatever money you donate to a black organization the US Govt and IRS will reimburse you double what you give. Only old white people can do this, I believe it’s age 70 and over.