Dolphins defense – Whole is better than the sum of its parts

There will be quite a few new faces added to this defense, some coming via free agency and some through the draft. This is going to be a young defense, especially the front 7. The oldest guy on the front 7 is LB Kyle Van Noy at 29 years old and the youngest is LB Jerome Baker at 23. Even the depth is young with players like Emmanuel Ogbah, Andrew Van Ginkle, Vince Biegel, Elandon Roberts along with rookies Raekwon Davis, Curtis Weaver and Jason Strowbridge. When you have a young defense, especially in a season with limited practices and no preseason games, there are going to be mistakes. Even veterans like Van Noy and Lawson will be playing aside so many new faces that there will be little if any familiarity with their teammates. Every team will be in this situation but I think the Dolphins have added more new players to their roster compared to most likely every other NFL roster.

What this means fellow Dolphins fans is we’re going to have to be patient. Keep in mind, this is year 1 of the rebuild. Last year we tore it down, and tore it down good. This was the first free agency period followed by the first draft. I think we did extremely well on both counts. Our secondary may be one of the best in the NFL and any added pressure we might generate from our front 7 will complement the shutdown potential of that secondary. If we don’t get a better pass rush and create more pressure and sacks a good secondary can only hold up for so long, especially against teams with better QB’s. The Patriots took a huge step backwards with Cam Newton, The Jets stand pat with young Sam Darnold as the Bills do the same with Josh Allen. Besides the downgrade at QB for the Patriots, the amount of players opting out for the 2020 season is now at 7, and there are some quality players in that 7.

I’m actually starting to feel a little less sure that a 2020 season is actually going to happen. The fact that so many Patriots players are opting out makes me nervous. Sure, maybe they’re trying to get a better pick in the 2021 draft or maybe they know something due to relationships with Goodell. Not starting a conspiracy theory here but you have to find it odd that one team has so many more that any other. In any case, if the season does proceed it will help us that the team that has taken the division 11 years in a row has not only lost their future HOF QB but has already lost 7 players to the opt out clause. The Bills should be the favorite probably followed by the Jets because of continuity with their young QB who showed improvement the 2nd half of 2019. We should be in the mix as a young upstart team as well, I’m not discounting us. If somehow our O-line can play like an average NFL teams and our pass rush can improve we could be right in that race. Then if at some point we start Tua Tagovailoa and he plays as well as he did at Alabama, well . . .

GO DOLPHINS!!!

#staythecourse

883 Responses to Dolphins defense – Whole is better than the sum of its parts

Got to love the two catch phrases by the presidential candidates on these promo commercials. I dont know whats worse, the commercial i see thats pro Trump and its states “Make America Great Again…..Again” or the one from Biden where he basically steals that same thing and he says “Rebuild America and Rebuild it Better…” lol i mean wtf, where is originality

Ocho just tweeted “@MiamiDolphins Let me finish where i left off, i live 3 blocks away from the facility so it’s convenient for both of us.”

7-11 is available, we should bring him in.

Taylor Gabriel is available and he is a similar receiver to Wilson.

There will be a bunch of guys available pretty soon. Are they still making the cut to 53 at the same basic time?

I’m just hoping no one else opts out before tomorrow.

You see all the passes going out wide or deep middle to Parker, Williams and Gesicki then see the backs catching the underneath stuff as a slot receiver you say fuck it I’m not involved anyway why risk the covid. 🤷‍♂️

The NFLN is officially the station of the Bucs, Cowboys and Cardinals now. They focus on those three teams constantly. It’s unbelievable.

The Boys season 2 is out September 4th. I can’t flipping wait.

For all you Florida folks…..our Pres encourages you to vote by mail. And all you have to do is ask for the ballot and the state will send to you.
    ————————
    “Whether you call it Vote by Mail or Absentee Voting, in Florida the election system is Safe and Secure, Tried and True. Florida’s Voting system has been cleaned up (we defeated Democrats attempts at change), so in Florida I encourage all to request a Ballot & Vote by Mail! #MAGA,”

Wait, so we don’t have to worry about mail fraud in just Florida? Where clearly he thinks it will help him instead of Biden. I can’t wait to see the spin on this, lol.

yeah, I posted that hypocrisy yesterday.

I somehow missed it. I can’t believe after that statement and his reasons, which are unadulterated in their political nature, that this is still a topic.

OVER OR UNDER?
    Tua starts by week 7???

well that didn’t work.

It is a map of the US. Looks just like the Covid map, except it’s not. It is the income tax map of where the taxes in the US come from. The obvious correlation is population density. in extension it looks like a congressional map too.

Mike E
    I’ve been meaning to ask you about your sons health, and yours, and the Mrs.’s?

Jordan Howard expresses confidence Miami Dolphins won’t have ‘that problem’ again in 2020

LOL Referencing our 37 YO QB being the leading rusher on the team.

Didn’t watch the first season of The Boys.

How is it?

I’d guess most people either love it or hate it. If you like super hero stuff, you’ll probably like it. It subverts the genre, parodies well known heroes like superman and aquaman and is vicious in its violence. From front to back it is filled with gratuitous language and violence, part of its charm, lol.

Take superheroes, and put them in today’s world, they are commercial properties and celebrities. Now what would these people really be like? The show i’s based on a series of graphic novels that are so brutal, they actually toned it down for the series, lol.

I think the dialogue is good, the writing is pretty good, and the characters are great. Homelander in particular is something else. Karl Urban overacts a bit, hams it up, and some of the plot elements are contrived. I personally really enjoyed it and can’t wait to see if they can keep it up into season 2.

Does anyone have a compressive list of Dolphins who “opted out”

Does anyone have an explanation of what opting out actually means for simpleton pigs…

🐖 💨

Allen Hurns
      Albert Wilson
      not sure what their designations are.

Opting out means you don’t play this year, lol. There are two designations for opting out.

Voluntary designations (no risk, but choose to opt out) are eligible for $150,000 as a salary advance but they don’t receive an accrued season on their contract. Not sure what happens if they don’t earn anything next year. I doubt they have to pay it back, but ya never know.

High risk opt-out designations are eligible for a $350,000 stipend which is not a salary advance, they accrue a season towards free agency including all benefits and a minimum salary credit as if they played this season.

Godchau covid19?

Doesn’t necessarily mean he has it, you can be on the list if you’ve been exposed to it.

Raise your hand if you pronounce the silent “g” at the end of pudding

I’ve never been so broke that I put all my coins in one of those machines that counts it all for you and then keeps 10%.
    I have been broke enough where I had to roll my coins my damn self though.

10% is a big chunk, if you need to cash in coin you gonna need ALL of it, roll it yourself lazy asses.

Thanks Kong

Hurns who?

They were excited to get Gary Jennings too, I think he’d been injured but is ready to roll now.
      Sucks not having a preseason to see all of these guys.

I was listening to NFL radio on the way home tonight and caught them talking Dolphins. I know you all know this already, I was busy as fuck today. They said Albert Wilson opted out and of course we all know Hurns opted out. Then they talked about Malcolm Perry could be used in the slot but Marvez said he opted out too. Did Perry opt out? When did that happen?

I haven’t seen that.
      Perry came off the covid list like yesterday

I didn’t see it anywhere either, but I forget who the co-host was, either Gil Brandt or Bill Polian. One of them mentioned that they drafted Malcolm Perry in the 7th and that he could potentially replace some of Wilson’s touches but then Marvez said he opted out, and then the co-host agreed. I was so frustrated because I didn’t know that.

You and the boy doing ok?

Wyo – Yeah man, he started feeling better early last week and he actually just moved out to Hoboken this weekend. Today was my first day back at work. It’s insane how crazy busy my place is. We actually ran out of trays for our orders, we’re going to have to order more. There are just stacks of orders everywhere.

No bubble? current plan is geared to identify infections early to prevent spread rather than toward trying to seal out the virus entirely.
    not sure if that will work, a player is bound to come down with the virus and play in a game spreading it.
    if this is the case i doubt we have a full season.
    they should follow the NBA

PGA championship today!

Wilkins seems to have his head in the right place. He said,
      “I feel like the connection we’ve already built and are going to continue to build is just so natural,” Wilkins said. “Those new guys that came in – from the rookies to the free agents, to the guys we picked up, and the guys that have been here – I feel like it’s so natural. It feels like we’ve already been around each other for a while. That stems from good leadership on the defensive side, too.”

The message for the Miami Dolphins is improving daily with a focus on creating consistency. In a league full of unpredictability, reliable players that provide the same approach and work routines day-after-day are a valuable commodity.

Wilkins recognizes that his game is a constant work-in-progress. The drive to finely tune his craft and develop elements of his game are all a part of the larger grind from which the former Clemson standout thrives.

“The biggest thing for me is just working on hands, pad leverage and having good technique, really,” Wilkins said. “That starts with your hands, eyes and feet, and like I said, playing with good pad leverage. If you play with good technique, you’ll make a lot of plays and you’ll make those big plays.”

This is why Wilson is not long for the Fins.

The subject matter might be evergreen, but the repetition of Brian Flores’ message helps drive the point home: players who prioritize football, want to win and are selfless can contribute in multiple facets of the game.

The simplicity of the criteria for what it takes to be a Miami Dolphin is both simple and demanding. It’s simple to understand the expectation laid forth by Flores and General Manager Chris Grier, but the nature by which players arrive at that point is the product of hard work.

ocalarob says:
      August 6, 2020 at 5:37 am

Puddin’ Tame, ask me again and I’ll tell you the same
      ———————————————
      My dad use to say that all the time. Thanks for that memory.

Why run the 40 at the rookie combine, when take off means nothing in football?

Next Gen Stats got it right measuring top end speed.

For a WR you fight to get off the line, start running, but not usually full speed, make a move, then accelerate to full speed. For D you never got to full speed from a dead stop.

I have harped on 40 times a lot, probably every year when people start making a big deal about them at the underwear olympics. WR’s and maybe RB’s and TE’s does even come close to making a difference. Only thing it does to me is detract from a player if its absurdly low and all that does it probably limit what you can do with him, or make you think of other ways to use them if you still like other attributes about them.

ocalarob says:
    August 5, 2020 at 6:01 pm

OVER OR UNDER?
    Tua starts by week 7???
    ——————————————————-
    I have always been thinking week 6, but mostly because i got our bye week mixed up and thought we have an early one. I guess ill go with under, but not much.

I hope over, week 1 2021😉

I think week 7 (you set yourself up for that one, fine bookie you are), because I can’t see them throwing him out there weeks 4-6 tough Ds, but maybe Seattle at home.

I kinda hope over, i would like for him to benefit from a little more of the season in study and a bit more of the OL having time together, though by week 6 he should have a good bit of that. Still wouldnt hurt my feelings at all to see them wait until after our bye in week 11 and just let him close out the season, with no pressure on him. If we are in the hunt at that time, just let Fitz ride it out and let Tua start in 2021.

That was my wink, we’re in the Hunt Fitz kicking ass.

Malcom Perry isnt on the opt out list. I think they must have gotten confused about with him being placed ont he covid PUP.

D says:
    August 6, 2020 at 10:30 am

ocalarob says:
    August 6, 2020 at 5:37 am

Puddin’ Tame, ask me again and I’ll tell you the same
    ———————————————
    My dad use to say that all the time. Thanks for that memory.

bailbondmike says:
    August 5, 2020 at 8:08 pm

I really like Kirk Merritt. He has a burst. Not to mention he can jump out or a gym with like a 49″ vertical.
    ———————————————————–
    I mentioned him back when Hurns opted out and again when Wilson opted out but no one bit on the post lol. He’s my Preston Williams for this year.

Read up on him when we signed him and thought the same thing, but with 6 established WRs ahead of him, thought he didn’t have much of a chance, but now the door is open.

Is there a Puddin Opt Out?

24.77M under now with the opt out of Wilson. Saving the cap and retaining the players isn’t horrible, if you can get by without them.

With Fitz at QB, 2 big WRs in Marshall and Decker, then Gailey as OC, that team moved the ball.

Parker for Marshall, Preston for Decker, then add Gesicki…jets had a better OL, but the Gailey blueprint us there and it looked good.

steveccnv says:
    August 6, 2020 at 10:58 am

————————————————
    Yeah, i thought he and Benito Jones were excellent UDFA pickups. I think if we keep 6 and we normally do, he can easily be in that group. Parker, Grant, Williams, Ford, Merritt, and Jennings right now, IMO, subject to change if they bring in a vet after cuts. Matt Cole isn’t too shabby either, so maybe between he and Jennings. Cole would give us another speedy/shifty slot guy, where as Jennings is more the bigger receiver type, which we already have several.

• bailbondmike says:

D, I did bite (re: Merritt) my post was my response. With this break from all the rain lately, we’ve been hitting the beach and kayaking a lot this week so it took me a while to catch up.

Merritt, with the way he plays, reminds me of Landry with a second gear.

He is tough and gritty, but yeah athletically, he is has a higher ceiling than Landry. He also can really go up and get them too.

incidentally, that phrase Puddin Tame, dates back incedibly fa, to old Irish folk songs, mostly used by children, like “Ring around the Rosies”. It was used in a song in the 50-60’s, but can be trace back to a book from 1896 and even further back in irish folk music.

I just heard a version of Pearl Jam’s “Black” done by Chris Cornell’s daughter that was unbelievable.I mean it doesnt have the same grungy feel that it does when mr stoned out of his head Vedder sings it, but there is something really soft and beautiful about hearing it in femal lyrics, and she has an amazing voice.

Interesting interview with Bryce Sterk. Includes his transition from DE to TE but most of it is about what camp has been like for him in the Covid season. One part is that they all wear “trackers.” One player tests positive and they are immediately going to know what other players they have been near.

Interesting, if not scary technology right there lol

Could solve himicides really easy with that tech i dunno, maybe embedded in all of our bodies, no more cheating either lol.

Technically all crime, and technically we already have something like that, people just dont always think about it, called cellphones

D — in the age of cameras and cell phones everywhere….. give that mugger your wallet, cause he’s one stupid dude to start with. The smart theifs are on the internet.

• pheloniusphish says:

Some garden spots still open. Who doesn’t want to go to N’Djamena, Chad for a vacay?

And those dang Canucks are messing with my moose hunting trip to Newfoundland.

Glad someone checked out the link. No where you’d want to go. Certainly crushing our vacation plans. But these are the US covid days.

Speaking of cameras, there is a whole series on ID TV of murders that are solved by back tracking the crime via different CCTV cameras. I read a statistic that said the average human being is on camera two thirds of every minute they are in public these days. It probably is even more so if you only averaged urban areas.

• bookman11 says:

The show is “See No Evil” I watch it all the time. I like that channel. It is amazing how they can track a person’s movements now days.

In some countries they have complete satellite surveillance. Dont know if ya caught the episode where they tracked down this one group of killers in cenrtal or south america and found out they belonged to a cartel as well and they made stops at the cartel business and leader’s houses, but they wound up businting a portion of that cartel because of it.

Im somewhat addicted to that ID channel, i watch it constantly. I am even thinking of dropping my premium channels because i dont really watch them much anymore, im always on that or the science channel.

• bookman11 says:

Yeah, D, I am kind of addicted to it also. There are some good shows on there. i have to watch something else though to breakup the constant “murder” stories…LOL

August 6, 2020 at 1:15 pm

————————————————
    The scary thing is how often shit still happens even with this knowledge. I mean those cops in the George Floyd murder all had body cams and dash cams. Criminals can look up see the camera and still go through with the crime. I guess you can say, that the fear of getting caught and the punishment they might have doesn’t really matter to them as much as whatever they are trying to get done.

Ill never get how some people can be so excessively evil to one another for such petty and narcissistic reasons.

Not to mention nor fearing the incarceration for their crime. The fear of Bubba ass pounding you nightly should really make you think twice.

• bailbondmike says:

For those addicted to drugs it doesn’t matter. They are not thinking about the punishment, just their next fix unfortunately. What is more unfortunate is you can mug an old lady who is living off social security and you don’t even have to spend one night in jail and don’t even have to post bail to get out.

Las Vegas Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles, New York Jets and New York Giants are the 4 teams that have gone stadium fanless so far. Must have been a crush for the Raiders in their first Vegas season.

Not that i dont appreciate being able to go to the games and watch them there, its such a neat experience, but i kinda think thats for the best. Id be ok with the Phins doing it.

There’s 2 road games with no fans. Was planning on attending the Raiders game😫

The wife and I were going to go to that game too. We coulda met up, talked election results, fought over it in the parking lot, and had a drink afterwards, lol. 😉

Cav — tell your wife that South Florida is pretty cool too. We even have a big’ol casino if that is her taste. Maybe not this year, but there will be other Fests.

Been to Sac many times, mostly those places on the river Chevy’s, Crawdad’s, Seafood Broiler…K-Street Mall back in the 90’s. Had some friends that lived in Fulsom.

Lol Stanger, 2 of the hottest places in the country and the adj you chose was cool😏

Just doing my Fest pitch steve. Hope you make it some year as well. It is a really cool time.

Strange world these days.
    ——————————
    “Dr. Anthony Fauci said Wednesday that he’s had to hire security to protect himself and his family after receiving death threats from people who object to his work on the coronavirus pandemic and the science behind regulations.”

I think after a while there will be tremendous pressure on Flores not only from fans but also Ross to get Tua in there, i would go under 7

45. Krishna says:

Science is ever evolving. Remember, the earth used to be flat. Now we are trying to figure what we cannot see. Novel, isn’t it?

Steve, next time you’re up this way, hit me up on the blog or get my email and we’ll grab a drink or some lunch. I’ve never been to Vegas, but now that the Raiders are out of that sh&thole Oakland, we’re going to head out to one of those games or a Chargers game soon.

We’ll have to get Doggy on board too. I know he’s down, he tried to get me out to a game a couple of years ago, but I just couldn’t do it at the time.

When I lived in Carson City and Tahoe I went there a lot, but haven’t been there in several years. But yeah, if I go I’ll let you know.

47. Krishna says:

Science is about discovery, experimentation, TESTING, evaluation, and conclusion. Just FYI.

That isn’t good at all. Starting to think that people get placed on that list cause they have contact with another player who tested positive though. Players kick off the list too soon…. guessing after negative tests.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing, and we don’t know, if they have any symptoms. They haven’t given us enough info for it to be bad.

We don’t even know, if any of them had it while in the facility, although after being there a week or so, unless quarantined, you’d think they would have.

One thing we know is those already on the list won’t catch it again during the season, so at least some of these guys will play all 16, if there is 16.

I’m just sorta thinking good for players not to go on the Covid list. But might just be me. I’d like those guys at practice.

That’s the entire offseason hall?

That is from today, so it puts to rest the Malcolm Perry opt out thing. SMH, gotta love talking heads, they just get sh%t wrong all the time.

50. Krishna says:

Dude, I know you don’t believe in science. Who would have thought the Dolphins would have been affected? Duh.

Stang, I would love to get out to a fest sometime, we just never travel to the east coast. The wife and I have talked about it and hope to make it happen one day. We usually take our vacations closer to home or out in Hawaii. We’ve got the means, it’s more about time, opportunity, and making it happen.

I know we’d have a great time, and regardless of how I may come off on the board, lol, we’re good, easy going people. Modern day hippies. 🙂

This is not a Cleveland Browns board. And it is a mighty good crew. Wife/kid friendly as well. Why do you think the Dogs and Tobas come every year?

Yep, it’s almost 15 years on the boards now for me, and it’s because of the people on it. There are plenty of places to get Dolphins news, I come here because this community is more than that. I don’t get the Browns reference, lol.

Miami is a whole lot better vacay spot than Cleveland…… especially during fall/winter. But even the rest of the year. 🙂

Lol, how you come across on this board! If you were any mellower…

Well thanks, Steve. That’s nice to read. Kinda made my day actually. I sometimes feel I’m too argumentative and come across as combative, so I don’t know how it’s perceived. I know everyone here argues everything, but you know self-evaluation and all that, lol.

52. Krishna says:

And, Mike E and his kids.

53. Krishna says:

And Jahndoh’s.

Cleveland is actually a decent vacation destination with the Rock&Roll hall of fame, The Pro football hall of fame, the zoo, a ton of museums, the botanical gardens and it is pretty damn close to the best roller coaster park in the country Cedar Point. (the best Jerry, the best)

Should I have said Buffalo instead? Been to that place.

The mistake by the lake was a good term for the city through the 80’s but they did a really good job cleaning up the waterfront and other areas.

Was there on business in the late 90’s/ early 2000s….. my impression was “a place people should leave.”

Gotcha, Stang. Yes, my wife LOVES the sun. Miami would fit her like a glove. I on the other hand, can’t stand the sun or the heat, but I am used to dealing with horrible Sacramento summers which I know are dry not humid like you guys deal with.

When we go out that way, it’ll be specifically for the Fest and to see the Fins at home. Probably only spend a few days or a week in Florida.

Ultimately up to you. We’ve been know to have a few tourists in South Florida though just to be there. And if you go on a longer trip than the Fest long weekend….. the drive into the Keys is something everyone should do once in their life (day time mandatory). And at the end of that is Key West with a bunch of hippies. 🙂

This is not necessarily true. The Covid list is a work-around of the HIPAA laws. There is a big green box released with each twitter post about additions and subtractions from the list that explains it. (See Wyoming’s post above) “Clubs may not disclose if a player is in quarantine or is positive for Covid-19”

They may be exposed, triggering being added to the list but not infected. (family member get’s it but you don’t) then later in the year they may get it. (or get put on the list again due to exposure)

They have a system in place to take them back off the list (whether they are infected or not) without releasing if the player ever actually had it.

In theory a player could be put on the list and taken back off ever week of the season and not actually catch it.

Golden Knights vs Blues at 3:30

Hopefully the Blues found their offense over the last few days.

man, how much do you think the people who make up names for new medicines make? They much pull out the boggle dice and keep rolling until they get something.

Skyrizzi Monjuvi tecartus xywave Wynzora Upneeq

WTF

Much? FUCK YOU IPHONE Must I wrote must how do you tern off auto-incorrect?

60. Krishna says:

That’s pretty funny…..I love the rapid blast of contraindications.

Who ARE you arguing with Krishna?

• Krishna says:

No one….just putting out an opinion about science. Is that argumentative? Some dispute science. I factor it in my understanding.

ah, ok, the manner in which you were posting seemed to be as if you were replying to someone else’s posts It had me searching back up the board for who you were replying to.

• pheloniusphish says:

Lol – Me too Rock.

Rock, they’re bubbled, so I think fighting is still allowed, but these are playoffs for some teams, and qualifiers for others, so not sure you’ll see a bunch of fights.

LOL @ Stang

Sacramento – City of Trees
    Los Angeles – City of Angels
    Los Vegas – Sin City
    Buffalo – A place people should leave

64. Krishna says:

And, guess what? Science is an evolution of thought and discovery. Let’s pin it down and concretize it in a moment.

Not disputing anything at all right now but I have to say I’m amused by some people I know that point at science and look at as if it’s indisputably correct always. Unfortunately they don’t realize that science evolves quickly, especially with a new virus like we have now, and for the most part, their chasing their tails on this one. I’m living proof that the testing is so damned far from perfect that it’s practically comical.

• pheloniusphish says:

Mike – It’s called scientism. The unfailing belief that anything anyone with a PhD says is absolute.

65. Krishna says:

Got it. Really clear about that. Mostly what I’ve been saying for six months. Fact check, please.

Truth about science and blah, blah is hard to discern sometimes. It’s truly frustrating.

66. bailbondmike says:

Interesting article that could be an explanation of why some people show little to no symptoms when exposed to COVID. More research needed though.

“A flurry of recent studies has revealed that a large proportion of the population — 20 to 50 percent of people in some places — might harbor immunity assassins called T cells that recognize the new coronavirus despite having never encountered it before.”

67. ElephantRider says:

Its not science anymore when politics trump it. When the numbers are skewed and inaccurate and you can’t rely on anything being reported without a political spin, where do you turn?

LOL. NHL having fun with their broadcasts. They have had a couple of big graphics on the board.

Tonight’s attendance – 0

then a little later

The wave is strictly prohibited at tonight’s game.

69. Krishna says:

If you can bubble it or it’s individual sports ( v team) seems to work. Hockey figured it out and so did Canada.

US is too stupid.

American hating MF’s can get on my NUTS!

I don’t hide behind anyone’s Skirts!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your a communist! You can’t be an American!

China is looking for recruits!

71. Krishna says:

Sorry, my bad….should not have come across political.

Proud to be an American!

It’s all cool!

Just thought I’d show you how you’ve sounded all day! 😉

American hating MF’s can get on my NUTS!

What ever floats your boat man, we like you anyway,even if letting america haters get on your nuts

I still find it ironic and funny that after all the Tank for Tua nonsense we still landed him at #5. 🙂

75. Krishna says:

Brutal…works for me if that’s the state.

Blues just don’t look very good.

77. ElephantRider says:

Lol Tim

Seems so long ago….

Dolphins should be fined and punished for trying to lose!

Dolphins are morons for playing competitive and winning games!

LOL

We drafted Tua as he was available to us and also addressed the OL early and often. This might be the best thing we’ve done in a long time. 🙂

If you had to choose the opening day OL without any of the complications everyone is facing, what would it be? I’ll throw this out there.
    LT Jackson 6-5 317, Rookie
    LG Flowers 6-6 329, 6th
    C Karras 6-4 305, 5th
    RG Davis 6-6 325, 4th
    RT Hunt 6-6 323, Rookie

Notable Game Day Backups:
    C/G Deiter 6-6 310, 2nd
    OT Davenport 6-7 325, 4th

I’m OK with that now, but I’d like top see Deiter take over the C position sooner than later because he earned it. I’d also like Solomon Kindley to compete with Davis and at some point overtake him as well.

I second Mikes response

I want to seeboth Deiter and Kindley make a push

Five weeks to go until we get some football!!

We’re looking at redoing most of our house in hardwood or laminate, probably laminate. I’ve been researching and will have a guy out Saturday for a selection and a quote, anyone got tips or advice that might be good to know?

• ElephantRider says:

Luxury vinyl plank.

• pheloniusphish says:

Yep. Looks like wood and is just about indestructible. If you have dogs (toenails) and/or a pool (water) it is the way to go.

I was going to say Tile! But the Vinyl is good too!

I like the way vinyl plank looks
        I’m pretty sure it’s on my floors in nyc

But if tile is on the table, I love tile

We don’t really do tile in the northeast
        But my families home in fla is filled with tile and I love it

• pheloniusphish says:

Tile is great in warm climates. Which the Sacramento area would qualify as. But if you want the look of wood go with the luxury vinyl.

Starting like 5 years ago, every new or recently re-done resort I’ve gone to is using vinyl. Assume that a combination of price, durability and ease of clean. And never saw it used before, which assume means it has the high end look those places go for.

Time to start shooting people in Portland.

Biden puts his foot in his mouth. It’s good to see the other side getting attacked for a change. LOL

Oh yeah bc that never happens

It may happen Piggy, but not at the top. Still, it gets less coverage on the mainstream news channels, you don’t see it played over and over again. Sorry, let me have my two seconds of fun!

Day 4 without power and running water. The dystopian nightmare of 2020 continues

I love Eversource Energy. They deforested the State after Sandy so more widespread power outages ooops. And oh yes the week before the storm they raised our rates 180%

Ken
    I’m working from home too

Actually had about 5 virtual court conferences this week
    Fairly productive

Not really excited to go back to normal office days to be honest

It should be considered as the new normal, and just stop fighting it. My company, or specifically my division is fighting it tooth and nail but this is the way business is done now. Harder ya fight it the more pissed your employees get because they can get that benefit from other companies. It just makes sense in most circumstances to do it that way.

In your profession, well and Ken’s, i could see how body language might could play into the success or fail or the argument, but i think more so in criminal cases than it would in most anything else.

I think it can be more productive than the office, and i understand the pitfalls of it, but ultimately past few months have shown how successful it can be, so to push back on the change really doesn’t make sense.

Rockphin says:
    August 6, 2020 at 4:54 pm

—————————————————————–
    Pro football HoF is in Canton

And Cleveland does suck, but i think Buffalo is worse, so probably a better choice.

Thats how bad it sucks, all that cool stuff there, and still sucks. Dreary just like an ominous black cloud hanging over it town.

Damn Ken, sorry to hear that. Are you going to move to a hotel temporarily?

TEST

D

My industry has been really slow to change and adjust

The transition to virtual conferences instead of court conferences that was forced was easy for the most part. They were just stubborn about it. Trials and criminal proceedings make sense for in person meetings

But after that, I don’t really get why we do things the way we have

On the other hand, a switch using technology can be really tough in the elderly and the poor or anyone else without access

And courts have to be available to everyone if you believe in truth, justice and the American way! So there’s a balance

Happy Friday!!

Meaning the deadline has passed and haven’t heard of anyone else opting out.

Mostly intact, little weaker at WR but that just means we need some people to step up as vets, and the rookies to show some promise. I think we could add a vet before season starts too so there are still lots of options there.

That’s based off of last year’s performance mostly. If you had another one done saying which team’s OL is most likely to outperform last years, we’d be at the top, so…preseason fodder.

Off last year, i am iffy on saying we had the 2nd worst OL’s because there were some other teams that thought had worse and i think it was more than 1. Still its pretty accurate considering last year and a lot of new faces. Our DB’s i think should be a lot better this year, and our OL cant be much worse so i think those ratings change by mid season for sure.

I’d say we were the worst OL in the history of the NFL the first 4 or 5 or 7 weeks, and that’s the problem. When people look at last year’s teams they include the first half of the season, which is fine, but not when evaluating last year to project units for this year.

For reasons like that I call em U75s, because they aren’t capable of using logic to determine an outcome. Mostly lazy, but still I don’t think they have it in them. In general a reporter is a creative mind person and not logical.

Anyone know anything about Gary Jennings? The team seems to like him.

I think Ford is going to get a chance at slot, and will eventually be the main guy there, but watching Grant’s workout video lingers in the back of my mind. I think Grant gets the first shot though.

We don’t really need more than 3 WRs, the others are for depth and won’t get much action unless inj… Gesicki will play some, as will Perry, Breida will be lined up wide at times. Don’t really see anyone else getting much PT. What that leads to is keeping 4 Wrs, Parker, Preston, Grant, and Ford, then having 2 of Jennings, Cole, and Merrit on the PS. The wildcard would be one of these 3 excelling on STs, then he’d be our 5th.

• bailbondmike says:

I know this is a new offense but Gesicki lined up in the slot like 460 times last season which (I think) was around 65% of his snaps. So lining up in the slot will not be new to him. I can see a lot of red zone snaps with Parker and Williams out wide, Gesicki in the slot, another TE in line and Breida in the backfield. Defenses will have to guess if it’s run or pass.

I’d like to see lots of shifting in and out of the slot. Line Gesicki up out wide, then shift him into the slot, we might get better matchups that way, especially, when playing teams that don’t move their DBs around much.

Or run Zone a lot

But this FO doesn’t seem to depend on unproven players, so I expect a vet to be signed, and agree with the Fansided choice of 32 yr old Demaryius Thomas.

36 – 433- 1 in 2019 with the jets.

DT, maybe, i considered it, but he is on the downhill and i think they like players that have a little upside if not an ascending trend. He also is a little bit of a diva and i dont think thats what they want rubbing off on the newer guys. Still he’s been in the league, he could be a good mentor while adding some options in the offense, but him over Hogan who has been a great Pro, or Justin Hardy who is still a young player with potential as a great slot, or even Taylor Gabriel …i dunno if i choose DT over those guys.

Gabriel which i mentioned the other day could also mix in on punt and kickoff returns.

I remember him coming out of WVU but i didn’t think he was anything special. I know a lot of people were pretty high on him but i think he benefited from a wide open offense who sought to only outscore people than actually play strategic games. I think he is a lot like a lot of superior athletes at a college level, benefitting off just awesome athletic ability, but not having the nuances of the position to make him a more rounded player. I dunno what he has done since coming to the NFL though, so maybe he has changed that, but if we like him, thats all i really need to say he could be a contributor in our offense. Id have Kirk Merritt hagher than him on my depth list, he would be fighting for the last WR spot, imo with Matt Cole.

So you see us keeping 6 WRs? I don’t, in the past we’ve kept extras at a position, because of their talent, and not for need. Most teams keep the best 53.

I think we likely keep 6, especially if we run a more downfield offense. You will wind the receivers and open them up for more injuries, you will need all 6.

Why would injuries be a part of that, when we could have one or two of those guys on the PS?

Chris Simms excited with Miami

Wyoming, I believe posted this last week, but Simms likes to talk out of his ass a lot. He’s raving about us, then ranks us 26. I know, he likes the direction, but isn’t sure we’re there yet. Again, these guys use no logic in their thought process, just beauty contest shit.

I can’t stand Simms

Honestly I think he’s a little bit slow, like eating paint chips slow

And the fact that they started talking about Tua and rumors that he was actually an “owners pick”….well… that’s silly

The people who believe Tua was an owners pick are probably the same people who believed the Dolphins were going to trade up for an OT

The GM did everything possible to Manufacter Tua being available are 5

After the draft, it should be painfully obvious to everyone that the Dolphins were crazy about Tua for a long time and were doing everything they can do to hide it

I just don’t know what with people that they have to approach talking about Tua like he’s some flash in the pan glamor pick instead of what he really is – a good football player

I loved watching Grier launch more smokescreens than the US Navy in World War I and II combined leading up to the pick….it was brilliant and it worked…

I’m thinking the people that are the source of those rumors just can’t deal with the fact that they were fooled by Greir

Tua was a pick by football guys. Deal with it before you start trying to sell me on the Dolphins love Justin Herbert again…

He didnt just sell it to people, he solde it multiple times to the same people who seemed to buy it, and just when they were coming to their senses, he sold them on it again

“The people who believe Tua was an owners pick are probably the same people who believed the Dolphins were” going to Tank for Tua.” — and now they want to get clicks by saying getting him at #5 was a mistake.

96. bailbondmike says:

My Friday music video.

Tua was a very solid pick at #5. We’ll all get to enjoy seeing how he progresses. The pick….no matter who had the final say….was a good pick. If he stays healthy, he might be pretty good. We’ll see.

steveccnv says:
    August 7, 2020 at 11:55 am

————————————————————
    Well first because if you carry them on the 53, you keep them, they cant be poached, i would never carry a guy i might actually have to count on on my PS, first he is good enough that other teams will likely want him and 2 because you could easy lose out on your next man up plans.

I also think you dress at least 5 on any game day in that system. The 6th guy is the only buffer you have in case of immediate injury and you have had him working with the first team some so he is ready to go vs a PS guy who (again, if you kept him somehow) has a good bit of adjustment to make.

Still logic says, with so many teams carrying 6, there has to be a reason for it right? Its not uncommon for a team to carry 6.

A guy i have seen early mocks of us taking with our top pick in 2021 has just opted out of the season at the U. DE Gregory Rousseau has chose to skip the season and start prepping for the NFL Draft.

I wonder. If they opt out of the college season, are they now free to get an agent and start working the meetings and workouts with NFL people, ie get a head start on all the background stuff or do they officially have to declare for the draft. Also, can they actually declare for the draft this early or do they have to wait?

• pheloniusphish says:

I would think they could get agents and start meetings. The rules against are all predicated on NCAA eligibility. If you are out of school, they don’t matter.

D – I think they still have to declare for the draft. They were talking about players who might opt out of the 2020 CFB and that they will be able to finish their college education and then enter the draft.

Here’s how draft eligibility works. Seems a lot of it is up to the NFL (like for juniors)……. but have to think if you are 3 years out of high school and declare for the draft you are good to go.
    —————————————–
    “To be eligible for the draft, players must have been out of high school for at least three years and must have used up their college eligibility before the start of the next college football season. Underclassmen and players who have graduated before using all their college eligibility may request the league’s approval to enter the draft early.”

That seems dated.

This part doesn’t look right:
      and must have used up their college eligibility before the start of the next college football season. Maybe these guys just loophole it by getting an agent, which ends college eligibility.

Can’t speak for the site I took it from, but I do agree something missing. Think it might be you can renounce college ability…… like you say by taking on an agent. All those juniors in the draft could have played another eligible year.

D, you aren’t proving your point on keeping 6 wrs in case of an injury, if they aren’t a top 53 player.

You seem to be advocating for keeping a 6th WR, if they aren’t one of our top 53, because this system needs a 6th.

We’ve got 3 PS eligible wrs that could be a 6th wr, why should we worry about one getting poached? We also have a 4th in Ricardo Lewis.

The kid sent pictures of other kids in her high school to social media. And gets suspended 5 days? Just not right. Got worse than that but least I was drinking beer.
    ————————————–
    “In North Paulding High School in Dallas, Georgia, a series of widely shared photos showed students crowded into packed hallways during their first days back to class this week. Few were wearing masks, and there was little sign of social distancing, generating criticism and outrage in news reports and on social media.

A 15-year-old student at North Paulding, Hannah Watters, was suspended for five days for posting some of those images on Twitter”

Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. The kid isn’t an employee, the school can’t tell her what to do in her spare time, even though the picture was from school.

Well not without some previous rule in place ie in the handbook, and even then there would have to be established parameters for the punishment.

Thanks for the responses on the flooring, guys. I had been looking at laminate, but they have a vinyl section as well, and I’ll make sure they bring those samples too. Cheers!

If you track water or have pets I’d use vinyl laminate over wood ones. Tile that looks like a wood floor is very durable and can get as wet as you want.
      What substrate is it going on? Wood or slab?

It’s going on a slab. We have a couple of cats, no dogs, but we’re definitely looking at high traffic durability as a key element.

I wouldn’t recommend tile over wood but on a slab it’s great. I just put the wood look tile in our master bedroom and we love it. The vinyl stuff is really a great product too.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I have zero experience so I’m taking in any and all advice.

Dan Marino was inducted to the Hall of Fame on this date in 2005.

No doubt at this point that going on the Covid list includes just having had an exposure.
    ——————————-
    One day after the Miami Dolphins added six players to their reserve/COVID-19 list, the team removed three players from the list Friday. Dolphins starting defensive tackle Davon Godchaux, new defensive lineman Shaq Lawson and rookie safety Brandon Jones are now able to return to the team’s practice facility and participate in team activities.

Lawson and Jones were on the list for a day, while Godchaux’s stint lasted two days.

109. bailbondmike says:

Looks like Russia may be working to damage Biden in the up coming election while China and Iran are doing opposite to hurt Trump. Russia apparently does not like Biden because of his ties and support to Ukraine. Moscow views him as antagonistic to the Russian establishment. China and Iran oppose Trump for the obvious.

“Ahead of the 2020 U.S. elections, foreign states will continue to use covert and overt influence measures in their attempts to sway U.S. voters’ preferences and perspectives, shift U.S. policies, increase discord in the United States, and undermine the American people’s confidence in our democratic process,”

Shit, now I can’t find the article. No matter, it’s the same shit that’s been going on for a long time. I am just waiting to hear the fake media spin about Trump and Russia again and leaving out the part about China and Iran supporting Biden.

• bailbondmike says:

Reason I bring up the fake media spin was because of the headline, “Russia Working to Damage Biden’s White House Bid, Spy Agencies Say”

Countries like Russia, China and Iran will for sure try to social influence the election….even if we could debate who wants who. NATO countries, Canada, ANZAC, etc. would as well, except they have morals.

LOL

Guys, I understand wanting the young guys on the OL to make a push but I don’t think you want that much youth right out of the gate. I already had our two rookies at tackle. A 2nd year center and rookie guard especially in this weird offseason looks too green to me.

I am guessing that these people are not concerned at all about the Covid. LOL

LOL — on that cruise you go past the Amsterdam red light district. Wife and I did one like that last year. Based on what the guide said all is safe though. 🙂

I don’t remember how long ago it was exactly but it was current era, we played the Cowboys in the preseason and they were talking that off-season about how the Boy’s had one of the worst O-lines in the league. (they were all pretty much young) they drafted a Guard high and by the end of the season they were talking about how the Boys had the best line in football. They were all the same guys, except for the rookie guard.

What I really want to see is the guys that Flores showed faith in last season who might not have been all that good, come back and be that good. YKWIM?

Most apes get vinyl flooring, especially since you guys are always dropping banana peels and throwing shit around.

Stanger, you and your wife went on an Anal Cruise last year? Tell us more!

Jason Day and Tua kinda look alike

I thought I was done. But I’ve never heard this rendition!

I’m not afraid of Eddie Moore…
    Take a listen you’ll hear that line

Try this at the fest!

127. Krishna says:

Happy birthday, Mrs. K. I miss you dearly.

Sorry to the blog for the drunken, non-sensical rage last night. Probably need to stay away for a while. DOD 16th, too.

I love this sort of stuff and it’s funny to watch their reactions. Enjoy!

Krishna
    I wish you nothing but peace and love brother!

Dolphins had WR’s Ricardo Lewis (was a Dolphin) and Chester Rogers (Colts) in for physicals

The Marlins are 7-1, stop the presses, and are ridden with covid, so why is everyone so worried about it🤔

132. Krishna says:

Thanks all.

Krishna – My best to you sir. That’s a tough one among many other tough ones. She was a special lady, so happy birthday to her in her special place up above. You obviously are a special guy too to be with her, so there’s that . . .

Stanger, how do you feel about Biden’s policies with China?

Not even sure exactly what they are. Is he proposing to re-start the TPP? Thought that the best way to deal with China.

Yes, restart TTP, as he calls it, remove the tariffs, so the trade deficit grows again, and likely continue his shady dealings. China is in his corner for sure.

I’m a free economy guy so that sounds good to me. Trade wars make no sense in my mind. Understand you don’t agree.

Golden Knights playing the Avalanche today, winner is the #1 seed going into round 2.

Blues just hoping they win a game.

Flyers and Lightning also playing today for the #1 seed. Both of these should be good games. I’m looking for the Kinghts/Avs feed right now.

Lol, the ‘feed’ is national network tv – NBC. I’m so used to streaming things I forget to check regular tv.

Sounds like you are looking for some old time hockey. 🙂

I’ve really enjoyed having these games to watch. Add in some Hanson brothers, and it’d be great.

Excellent game in OT right now between the Avs and Knights

Just checked how my college is doing the Fall semester. Small place in the middle of no where. They are creating a bubble like the NBA in Orlando.

Kids can either “opt out” or take classes remote but if you come in the bubble you are there to stay. Show up to campus and you get tested then quarantined for 48 hours. At Thanksgiving break you can go home, but if you do can’t come back and have to finish your classes online.

Sports team can practice, but no road games. Not sure if that means opposing teams can come in….. but guessing not.

Is Tannenbaum still on the payroll? Damien Woody sure ain’t.
      ——————————
      Mike Tannenbaum, the Dolphins’ former lead football executive and now an NFL studio analyst for ESPN, elicited uproarious laughter from former Jets guard Damien Woody on NFL Live on Friday when Tannenbaum declared that the Dolphins have the best defense in the AFC East.

Woody said Buffalo obviously does, but Tannenbaum held firm to his view, asserting there are two reasons why the Dolphins have the best defense in the division.

“You look at their secondary,” Tannenbaum said. “They can play man-to-man with anybody. They signed Byron Jones from the Dallas Cowboys. They have Xavien Howard. They have a guy like Bobby McCain, a former corner at safety. They can really match up and play man-to-man on the back end.

“And on the front end, I really like the versatility — Kyle Van Noy, former New England Patriot that Brian Flores brought down. Last year’s former first-round pick Christian Wilkins. They’re talented but they’re also versatile. They should be able to rush the passer and they can play man to man on the back end. And when you can do those two things, you should have a very good difference.”

Woody, after he finally stopped laughing, said: “Mike T, you saying that with a straight face right now? Better than the Buffalo Bills?Buffalo Bills second in the league last year! I know you live down in South Florida, Mike!”

Sorry….didn’t mean to reply to myself.

LOL, yeah, I think we definitely have the potential to be the best D in the AFCE, but we have so many new parts and things that need to be shown for that to happen. Until we go out and do it, I’d pick Buffalo too.

Cav, it kinda depends on what you call the best D in the AFCE. If you’re talking about as stats for the year maybe not, but if you’re talking about who is playing the best when the regular season ends, that’s quite possible. This is how I see it happening.

Continuing on, the U75s use the entire season to project the next one. I think you have to consider it, but the EOY indicators are more important.

To go even further, we had a better team than the cheats did 2nd half, and they list Brady and a lot of others, so…

Stanger when write a post like that, you can put it anywhere you like. Good thing FFR isn’t on😉

I feel like it’s pretty hard to gauge how good our defense will be this year. I think continuity is best, so teams that have a lot of players/coordinators/defensive scheme that have been in place are ahead of the curve. I think our potential is there, but with so many new faces, I think it’s a lot to expect us to be the best right away.

Steve,
    Yeah, for any conversation of substance, I get you really have to define what ‘best D’ means and drill down into details. I don’t look at this as an in depth discussion though, lol. Just kinda throwing out loose opinions based on what we know.

In the context of that statement by Baumer, I’m starting by looking at the best overall defense in our division in 2019. By best I only mean which D would I have taken last year given the choice? That’s an easy choice for me in Buffalo. The Pets ranked #1, but I agree they weren’t great in the 2nd half of the season when their schedule got tougher, and it let them down in the end. We got better as the season progressed but I don’t believe we were in Buffalo’s class. And f$&ck the Jest.

I think with additions to their line, Buffalo may be even better this year. The Pets got weaker by losing 2 of their key starting LBs and a starting safety. And we got significantly better on paper, but we haven’t seen our guys in a single game yet, so I’m not going to pencil us in as the best D based on paper. And f$&ck the Jest.

I like our potential and think we have an opportunity to be a special D by the end of the year. How could we not believe in that potential after what Flores did with a bare bones team last year?

Congrats on the #1 seed btw.

At least you guys will have home field advantage when we knock you out down the road, lol. 😉

Flyers are looking like the class of the East and the Golden Knights the class of the West.

Tampa Bay Lightning look terrible OD. What’s up with them?

The Flyers are playing at a very high level. They were playing really well before the season was suspended. I hope it continues. 🙂

We were fine at WR before this signing, but that’s not how this FO has operated this year. They’ve added depth at every position, overkill compared to anything we’ve seen before.

This signing and everything done so far this year screams we’re making a run, at least, at the playoffs this year. You don’t spend all that money, bring in all these vets, and make sure all your bases are covered for any other reason.

Rogers enjoyed a career year with the Colts in 2018, quarterback Andrew Luck’s final NFL season. That year, Rogers posted 53 receptions for 485 yards and two scores — and he now comes to Miami as a possible slot option to replace Albert Wilson.

Sure looks like we’ll keep 6 wrs, unless Perry beats Roger’s or Louis out, and they consider him an RB.

NEW BLOG UP!!!