Miami Dolphins – Where do we go from here?

There are so many moves the Miami Dolphins organization need to make, the most obvious one is hiring a new Head Coach, and having that Head Coach assemble an entire coaching staff. I liked Brian Flores. I liked his no nonsense personality, I liked his toughness. I didn’t like the staff he put together, and that includes revamping his staff last season. As the group Depeche Mode says, “Everything counts in large amounts”. Flores was the architect of a poor staff. I’m not picking on him because he’s gone, just stating the obvious. I can’t say whether his first season’s plan was just to work with guys familiar to him, or he simply had no NFL ties and took what he could get. In 2019, He brought both OC Chad O’Shea and DC Patrick Graham from the New England Patriots. In 2020, Flores tabbed long time NFL’er Chan Gailey, who was probably pretty sure he was never ever going to coach again, and named him OC. Not that Chan Gailey wasn’t qualified, but I’m sure Flores’ call was the ONLY call Chan Gailey received as far as NFL offers were concerned. Chan Gailey departs so in 2021, Flores has the brilliant idea of naming Co-OC’s (supposedly in order to keep any teams from stealing them away), so 2020 Tight Ends Coach George Godsey and 2020 Running Backs Coach Eric Studesville are promoted together to form the NFL’s first 2 headed Offensive Coordinator Duo. Sometimes having more is better, The Tucker had a center headlight in addition to the 2 common ones on either side of the front of the vehicle. The center headlight actually turned left when the car was turning left and right when the car was turning right. Ingenious! The Co-CO idea, not so much. The Dolphins offense was 22nd in the NFL scoring 20.1 PPG and if not for the defense setting up the offense so many times, it would have been considerably worse.

I’m going to recommend something I know many of you here won’t be in favor of. I can tell you, I’m not sure I’m in favor it myself. Hear me out though. You can build for now, or build for later. Instant gratification or long term success. Either can be satisfying. The problem with my recommendation is that one important step needs to happen before this can even be possible. Michigan Head Coach Jim Harbaugh needs to step down from his current post. If that happens, I think we should be the first, and most likely the last to offer him a Head Coaching position in the NFL. When you hire a guy from the college ranks, you get a guy who knows all the college players, what they’re capable of, who the right ones are for what they want to accomplish, on both sides of the ball. What you usually get is a guy who doesn’t know the NFL, and how to deal with NFL players. Not the case with Harbaugh, who has successfully run an NFL team, quite successfully I might add. From 2011-2014, Jim Harbaugh compiled a 44-19 record with the SF 49ers. He did that with 2 QB’s who were not considered upper echelon talents in Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. For some reference, Alex Smith was 19-31 in 5 seasons as the Niners QB. With Harbaugh, his first season was 13-3. His 2nd season was cut short due to injury but the Niners were 6-2-1 with Smith. So 19-2-1 for one and a half seasons after 19-31 in 5 without Harbaugh. We all know who took over after Alex Smith went down, my former crush Colin Kaepernick. No problem for Harbaugh. Kaepernick after taking over the helm went 5-2 and took the Niners to the playoffs. A huge upset 1st RD victory over the Green Bay Packers, 45-31 started an improbable run. The Niners then defeated the Atlanta Falcons 28-24 to earn a Super Bowl berth. The SF 49ers lost a thriller of a game, 34-31 to the Baltimore Ravens.

Still with me? My favorite MLB team the NY Mets made a very similar move recently. They decided to bring in a proven winner in Buck Showalter. Results have yet to be determined and if the bougy MLB Players Union doesn’t get it’s collective head out of its ass, we may not see a MLB season next year. The Mets have decided instead of hiring a young up and comer, they want to win NOW! Forget 3-5 years from now, NOW! They know Showalter knows exactly what he’s supposed to do in every and any situation, there’s nothing he hasn’t seen. The very same would go with Jim Harbaugh. I think it’s an extremely unique situation to be able to get a guy who is so in touch with the college game and all the players, yet has had tremendous NFL success as well. I say if Jim Harbaugh steps down as Michigan HC, Stephen Ross should fly one of his fucking planes as fast as they can fly and throw down some stacks of $$$$ to secure the best Head Coach for RIGHT NOW, the Dolphins can get. Personally, I think Harbaugh is a bit of a time bomb, and I have no idea how long he can last if he comes back to the NFL. My guess is it would be a similar gig to the Niners. He’d stay as long as they were winning. That’s not a terrible thing either. If for some reason he fails right off the bat, which I think is unlikely, he may try one more time. If he fails again I would think he’d step down and disappear and we’d probably want him to. I think if he does come back to the NFL, I think he’d be great for our team. Our defense would continue to flourish and he’d get Tua a run game if it killed him. Defense, running the ball, all the things we crave here. All that will make Tua better and more importantly, the Miami Dolphins better.

I’m open to other HC’s too, there are lots of ways to skin a cat. I actually don’t know how many ways there are and not sure why people think are so many ways to skin a cat, but there really are a lot of different avenues to explore in a Head Coach search. I’m sure Tom Garfinkel and Chris Grier are doing that as I type. Maybe it’s because I’m 58 now and my mortality is in the back of my mind. Who knows, maybe Mike McDaniel is the next Mike Tomlin. At 38 he’s a tad older than Tomlin was when he took over the Pittsburgh Steelers at the age of 35. To have continuity and longevity along with winning would be swell, but make no mistake about this my fellow Dolphins fans, the Miami Dolphins franchise is NOT the Pittsburgh Steelers franchise. The Steelers are steeped in tradition and their owner doesn’t flip-flop on their decisions. Since 1969, The Steelers had HC Chuck Knoll 1969-1991, Bill Cowher 1991-2006, then Mike Tomlin from 2007 – present. Not only do they have consistency, but they WIN. So do I crave the same? I would wait until we clean house of our current GM before heading out on that path, which is another strong reason I prefer Harbaugh. With Harbaugh at the helm, it’s gonna be his way or the HAR-way. If Chris Grier didn’t like Brian Flores, he’s gonna hate Harbaugh, because this would be his show, guaranteed. He won’t allow Grier to undermine him and his cachet dictates that he deserves as much. Unfortunately, Harbaugh may have no intentions of leaving his current post, but if he does . . .

To elaborate on some great news we got yesterday, I’d like to share that I also got to speak to Jon “Stanger” yesterday, and considering what that man has been through, I was absolutely shocked as to how great he sounded. As I’m typing now I’m literally getting goosebumps and tearing up because he literally sounded just like the old Stanger, and that’s not being kind, or overenthusiastic or wishful, that boy is BACK! Now he needs to get his body back to where his head is and he’ll be in better shape at the next Fest than he was at the last. He’s currently just dealing with atrophy from being in a bed so long, and I believe he will respond very well to rehab, both occupational and physical therapy. I have to give both Jon and his wife a lot of credit, they really clawed back from some tough odds. Maybe our Dolphins can do the same!

#stangerstrong

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

1,422 Responses to Miami Dolphins – Where do we go from here?

What is “Games people play”?

2. ukfinfan says:

Thanks for the post Mike …………..

It’s not easy to win the big prize in the NFL. First you have to pick a good coach, who has the ability to pick and attract good assistants and then you have to fill the roster full of players who can execute the system the coaches want to run or can adapt a system to the strengths of the players drafted. It’s so easy to trip and fall at any of those hurdles. Grier has a ton of responsibility on his shoulders right now in evaluating that whole network.

Wouldn’t be against Harbaugh, but McDainiel does intrigue me from the perspective that if he has what it takes, he could make us great for a long time.

Another wonderful update on Stanger. All power to his elbow for the rehab ahead. Set me up for the weekend that.

Great article Mike!

I agree on Harbaugh, but you mentioned something I hadn’t thought of,

That’s a great point, I too don’t believe we can have great success long term with Grier

Thanks Steve. Yeah, I’m feeling that the dysfunction could be eliminated by having someone come here with enough cachet and football knowledge that they’ll allow him to do his thing and not screw it up. Again, Harbaugh is risky because he’s a short term investment, but I think the percentage of immediate success is much higher with him than anyone else right now.

Think we need to win an SB at almost all cost, before trying to build a dynasty or what the Steelers have

By doing that we could then put Ross’ bad decision after bad decision out the window and build for the future the right way

So get an HC and not a 1st timer

Ross wants to win now, but he keeps hiring 1st timers

Nice job Mike!

giants hired Joe Schoen as GM- that may hurt our chances of getting Daboll.

Thanks Bri – I’m not too worried about losing any particular candidate. I don’t really have a horse in the race at the moment unless Harbaugh quits, and then he immediately becomes my favorite.

And Mike, I would hire Harbaugh in a heartbeat. I also like the Dan Quinn option. Both are proven.

I think he’d love our defense and get our offense into that tough minded hardass mode. I can even see Solomon Kindley back on the line with Harbaugh. You get that kid in shape and motivated, he’s a big nasty mofo in the run game.

7. bailbondmike says:

Yeah, I’m still all up in the air on an HC. Just hope it is the right one and we don’t keep walking the line of mediocrity. Good article MikeE!

#StangerStrong

Good article Mike. I don’t know if Harbarugh is going to be a reality given that Ross sided with Grier. I’ve been making the point about HC’s won’t matter until our front office is fixed and even brought up the Steelers myself. Tomlin took over a team that just won a Super Bowl and had HOF Dick Lebeau as his DC and Bruce Arians as his OC (Ken Whisenhut left to coach the Cardinals). Tomlin pretty much kept the entire staff that Cowher had.

Thanks SB – Not sure what you mean about Ross siding with Grier and how that would affect us getting Harbaugh. I don’t think Ross would see Harbaugh as being able tom get past the dysfunction angle, that’s for us fans. I just think he’d hire Harbaugh because it would give us instant credibility and a better chance to win now. I think he’d be perfect really, except for the longevity aspect.

• sb7mvp says:

I was referencing this:

“I would wait until we clean house of our current GM before heading out on that path, which is another strong reason I prefer Harbaugh. With Harbaugh at the helm, it’s gonna be his way or the HAR-way. If Chris Grier didn’t like Brian Flores, he’s gonna hate Harbaugh, because this would be his show, guaranteed. He won’t allow Grier to undermine him and his cachet dictates that he deserves as much. Unfortunately, Harbaugh may have no intentions of leaving his current post, but if he does . . .”

Ross could have fired Flores and Grier, but didn’t citing the tension between the two and mentioning the talent on the roster. To me, to that shows Ross chose to side with Grier on the direction of the team.

Good write, Mike E!
    #StangerStrong

Don’t let the door hit you in the ass Kirk

We gave him every chance we could, but he’s gotta catch the ball and he didn’t, 1 rec on 3 targets

Seem to remember a couple of long passes he should’ve caught, and other chances he didn’t get open

6′ 215 4.33 40 time, he didn’t play up to his attributed, could’ve been our Deebo

Not on board for Harbaugh and fortunately I don’t think we have to worry about it as I believe he will go to the Raiders if he goes anywhere

Read the comments after the announcement . . . Sounds pretty familiar 😛

SB – Ah, gotcha. I think while that would be true, I think Ross would trip over his feet running to his jet if Harbaugh quit. I think he would want Harbaugh no matter what, and despite his loyalty to Grier, he would choose Harbaugh and take his chances. Heck, Grier could look better with a winning coach and team, pad his resume for his next gig. 🙂

Good article but i disagree. I dont think that Harbaugh is any safer bet for success than some of the others. I am not sure any former coach cant be considered questionable because of their “former” status. Dan Quinn, former HC now DC, didnt cut it for the falcons. Former HC Jim Harbaugh didnt make it for whatever reasons, but there had to be some or he wouldn’t have gone back to the college ranks, there is also a reason he went back to the college ranks instead of being picked up by another NFL team. To try to sell a former coach as a better opportunity to have success is to also overlook some of the successes of some of the recent new head coaches. They all have their issues but i feel better about a guy who is new with no visible warts than a guy i know has warts.

Also to associate a previous coach as being in a win now mode, i dont see there being a difference there either. Just because they were a former coach they have to assemble a new staff, get player buy in, get a new system installed, get the right payers for that system etc. Starting over is starting over, and i don’t feel a former coach really has much of an advantage over a new/first time coach in that respect. I definitely don’t feel that Harbaugh, out of the league for several years represents much of an advantage, someone like Daboll probably has as many connections with staff as Harbaugh does by now.

Didn’t say the coach was in a win now mode, saying you have a better chance to win now with a coach that has won

First off, Quinn didn’t have anywhere near the success Harbaugh had. Quinn was brought there (ATL) because they felt he could improve the defense. Hard to say he did that or improve the team in any way. He went up and down every other year with the defense. No consistency. Harbaugh was great until his last year. I think he simply got burnt out, and I pointed out that could easily happen here. I still think he’s got the best chance to win now. While Daboll might have connections, he’s never run the whole show. Harbaugh proved he could, and did it at the highest level.

15. bailbondmike says:

I think Merritt will do very well in NO with Peyton as his HC. I think his lack of development is on him as much as it was on the entire offensive staff and their inability to coach or develop anybody, especially the OL.

This whole entire offensive staff didn’t develop anybody. The only ones to produce was waddle and a couple other vets. Tua did ok but MANY more players regressed under these coaches. I don’t put the whole blame on Merritt. We will just have to shelf this until the season starts and see if we missed on a talented WR or not.

It’s hard to say, some players just shine no matter what. Some need individual coaching to realize their potential. On the whole, it seems like we developed defensive players well, but on the offensive side, we failed.

Harbaugh is Saban 2.0. An egotistical maniac who is always looking for the next best opportunity except not as nice as Saban

Nobody is saying otherwise, we all know what he is, some of us just think he may be the guy to lead us out of this funk

I don’t see it. While he has had success it has always been short term and then he leaves for greener pastures and usually with a trail of disaster in his wake

What disaster?

44-19 at SF

28-21 at Stanford

59-23 at Michigan

So he’s a hot head, so is Saban and Belicheat

Guys that have ideas and get shutdown, get pissed and leave

Do you really know what happened in SF?

The overwhelming consensus is that Harbaugh is leaving because his relationship with the front office — specifically, general manager Trent Baalke and CEO Jed York — fell apart to a point in which he couldn’t work there anymore.

SB7
    Thanks for the Rickles video on the previous page. He is my favorite comedian of all time. May funny videos of him out there.

Ken – I know you said Harbaugh was only successful in short bursts. If you could have 3 years with a .760 winning percentage, you wouldn’t take that and then move on from there?

If he stays with us for 3 years and we win 1 playoff game, then leaves along with Grier, I’d same it’s time to party in the streets

3 years is a short burst imo and then the team blew up and had to be rebuilt. Sorry count me out on that

And it was really only 2 good seasons

OK, but we’ve been doing that for decades and losing. It would be nice to freaking win for a while. I’ll take 3 winning playoff seasons and a SB appearance in a heartbeat. Instead we have games at the end of the season in the years when we’re close and find out we were just pretenders and then fire the coach anyway. Might as well win some

You may be waiting the rest of your life for that perfect HC, I’ll take what I can get and win now sounds pretty good, even for a short term

————-
    Good, he’s off our hands now.

Quinn enjoyed a little success, but see my earlier post about HCs that had success also had great QBs

I attribute that success to Matty Ice

I want another head coach, that can take yourins…

Harbaugh has improved the teams he’s been on tremendously from the previous staff

Ken – 13-3, 11-4-1, and 12-4. His last season was 8-8. Which one of those first 3 seasons do you consider bad?

I’m not keen on Quinn. If we’re going with former HC recycle, I’d rather have one that had more success than he did.

I’d take Harbaugh. The pedigree is there, he’s proven he can win, and maybe he’s learned from past mistakes regarding ego and interpersonal stuff.

Harbaugh will be wash rinse and repeat. If we go with a former HC I would take Peterson

Not trying to BB, but we’ve been wash, rinse and repeating with much less success than Harbaugh ever had, so . . . As I said in my previous article 176-183 since the new millennium.

Must’ve been the early years that made our record that close to .500%

No worries didn’t think you were BB and I am not trying to either. I just don’t think that will change with Harbaugh. His longevity at any job is questionable and I think the guy is unhinged. I just don’t want him as our coach and will be disappointed if that is the direction we go. But I don’t see that happening

Harbaugh is not coming here. Primarily because he doesn’t want this job he wants the Raiders job

You’re way too gullible with what you hear/read

Those reports on Harbaugh started, before the season was over, when only Raiders and Jags had openings

Would be the same as anreporter saying Harbaugh prefers Miami, because of his and Ross’ ties to Michigan

We certainly want an Offensive-minded HC. If we take any of the Defensive-minded prospects out there, we may have to churn our Defensive roster. Too many of them play either 4-3 (‘Wide-9’ with Joseph), Tampa-2, or anything BUT what our Defensive roster has been assembled to do.

If we can retain Josh Boyer, we’re going to be pretty well set on one side of the ball.

What’s more, our Secondary is set to be a primary man-to-man team in coverage (ie: X Howard and B Jones). All these other Defensive-minded potential HCs specialize in zone coverage. That would be a massive waste of the $$$ we’re paying X and Jones.

• Brian in NY says:

That’s a great point. We play a lot of cover zero, and play it very well, and to move on from that into zone would indeed be a waste of money. You can’t pay our CB’s that type of money to play zone. It’s not their strength anyway.

Thank you, Brian!

It’s a little early but since Steve brought it up:

28. bailbondmike says:

RE Harbaugh: His last season, 49er’s had limited cap space. Had to let several players go. Also, they lost two of their faces of the defense for that 8-8 season. NaVorro Bowman for the whole season who got his knee mangled in the NFC Championship game the previous season and Patrick Willis only appeared in 6 games that season with the 6th game being the last of his career.

That’s two major pieces to a defense to lose in a division that had 2 other teams go to the playoffs with one of them going to the SB (Seattle).

BTW, Dolphins were 8-8 that year also.

29. bailbondmike says:

Well, since the music started…TM released a new one today with Adam Calhoun.

Good write, Mike! All I care about is whoever the new head coach is he’ll have great success. 🙂

31. bailbondmike says:

M13, here is another one that is Fire. DAX paying respect to the greats. His word play is nonstop

The black haired girl in Sonic Youth, i had a huge crush on her. Saw them live and found out its very hard to mosh with a boner.

33. bailbondmike says:

D, Since you are out there this evening, what would you think of Alabama WR Coach being part of the new offensive staff? Holman Wiggins, who is the Assistant OC/WR Coach at Alabama.

He’s only been there 2 years but has a very good track record producing really good WR’s everywhere he has been. He has a hell of a track record.

I only know of ONE person who ever got into an argument with themselves on a song, LOL. Leave it to the late, great Shock G… he’s battling his alter-ego Humpty Hump on this one.

Great news Mr. Stanger!
    Thanks for the updates!

RIP

RIP

Yeah, bad day today. Meat Loaf and Louie Anderson. RIP

Mike, I left out my comments I wanted to mention about Stanger. So glad you and Ken have talked to him and he’s on the mend. Get well Stanger!!!

Man, it was great to hear from him, but what I didn’t expect was that he would be where he’s at now, totally coherent, lucid, no memory loss, just the same guy he was. That was such an expected treat. I really think our boy is going to make it all the way back and end up in better shape. I’d imagine he will quit smoking and take better care of himself. Hoping the rehab gets him on a healthy kick.

Yahoo Sports’ 4 best players on the Dolphins:
    Jaylen Waddle
    Jevon Holland
    Zach Sieler
    Emmanuel Ogbah

All very good players but I’d put Christian Wilkins and X over Holland and Sieler.

I agree Tim. X tops the list, and Wilkins was great this season, really came together. Sieler is just a very solid player. Holland is probably going to get even better which bodes well for us if he does.

Yeah Holland has a chance to become a pro bowler and all pro. Waddle too.

Wilkins gets better every year. Jerome Baker is another guy who for me is one of the top 5 players on our team.

Mike E,

You KNOW my love for Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis (they are ones who I’ve never been able to interview over the years!). I LOVE this song… Ms. Janet Jackson…

42. bailbondmike says:

It’s not that hard to coach at Bama with all of those top 50 recruits, and Saban having control of the players
    ——————————
    He has only worked with Bama receivers for last 2 years.

Point is, he has done this everywhere he has been for over a decade. Saban brought him to coach at Alabama because of his resume’.

Celebrating Stanger being on the mend.

M – Gotcha, and that makes sense because that’s your gig

Like Old Dolfan, I’ve got to get my beauty rest. Still not feeling well, and I’ve a COVID test first thing tomorrow morning. I’m good, just feel like shit. Already feel a bit better from yesterday.

Peace, y’all!

Goodnight M, feel better bud! Do you suspect it’s COVID or just being safe?

Probably just this omicron variant. Can’t go back to work without a test, Bro. That’s a Fortune 500/Big Biz mandate.

And thank you, Mike E!

Well, I hope it’s not either way, some people get knocked on their ass by Omicron too.

It’s probably the COVID flu, my daughter had it and I had some kind of bug a few weeks ago that was maybe 24 hours. This time of year those of us in the NE get all kinds of colds and shit and it’s friggin cold out now. About 18 degrees. I think it’s due to being in the cold then back inside with heat, back in the cold, back inside with heat. Then the temps warm up a bit then go back down. Extremes like that fuck with your body and you get sick.

Feel better, M13.

Sorry, I probably shouldn’t have spoken for other Big Biz, but in my case, I MUST take a COVID test.

Thank you too, Tim!

G’night, y’all.

After looking at how many UFAs we have at LB, we definitely need to target quality LBs in both FA and the draft. We could always re-sign (Roberts, Riley, Scarlett, Eguavoen or Biegel) or sign other LBs at a similar level. But yeah, that’s the position that need a jolt of new talent.

So some of you have been saying we need ILB, I get it. I was not aware that all of them were UFAs.

Yeah, we got Munson, that’s it

I’d like to land another Baker type, who can basically play in all phases. It gives you a dynamic duo inside and depth if one goes down. If we lost Baker who rarely misses playing time we’d notice.

• bookman11 says:

We better re-sign Biegel as it is a proven fact that you have to have 3 ex Wisconsin Badgers on a roster to win a SB. ( Van Ginkle, Biegel, Dieter) Just saying.

• bailbondmike says:

This is why I brought up Saints ILB Kwon Alexander earlier. They are still in cap trouble and going to have trouble signing their top free agents.

• bailbondmike says:

Alexander is like Baker if you watch him. He has 4.5 speed and maybe a tad lighter than Baker but a sure tackler with coverage skills. I posted some highlights of him on last blog.

I was looking at draft prospects and these are TSN top LBs that aren’t Edge types. More 3 down sideline to sideline types.

25. Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia (6-0, 225 pounds)
    Dean has gotten first-round consideration by honing his pass rush skills inside on top of his rangy athleticism that allow him fly sideline-to-sideline to make plays. That helps him more than compensate for his lack of prototypical size.

40. Brandon Smith, LB, Penn State (6-3, 241 pounds)
    Smith is very athletic and covers a lot of ground in coverage and run support. He can be the ideal strongside star in the NFL.

47. Christian Harris, LB, Alabama (6-2, 232 pounds)
    Harris is the typical Crimson Tide top second-level defender with his speed and quickness that translate to sideline-to-sideline playmaking range.

• bailbondmike says:

Those are my top 3 as well.

Dean’s size does not bother me too much as there are many like him in the NFL.

Smith is a freak athlete and has versatility. He’s an ILB but can be lined up anywhere. Kind of like Parsons.

Harris is good vs run and pass rush. He was a liability in coverage in 2020 and got a few holding calls but got better at it this year.

Kwon is great, tackling machine

Bookman, this is the first thing I found on Leo Chenal. He sounds like a bigger and younger Elandon Roberts. Nothing wrong with that but we have no idea what our defense will look like in 2022. If I’m the new HC I’m finding a DC who will recognize what our skill on defense does well. There is plenty of tape on them now. Don’t add a strict system DC. A guy who says I only run a classic 4-3 base and go from there. You’d be nuts not to watch how much you can do with this group.

50. bailbondmike says:

Tim, Kwon Alexander:

Oh yeah man, I’ve watched him play. He’s a good all around LB. I’d have no problem with us signing him in FA.

Wow. That is a lot of evaluation. I just know he played for Wisconsin and will be awesomely cool!!! Lol

I’d like to see us re-sign Nik Needham. He has really settled in as a nickel corner.

You can always add a big, physical thumper ILB for certain situations. But the way the game is played you need fast sideline to sideline guys who can tackle and cover. Baker/Alexander would be a nice veteran ILB duo.

This is our core defense looking at the roster. We have UFAs that we have to deal with. But this is a quality group to build on.
    DL Wilkins, Davis, Sieler and Butler
    ED Phillips, Van Ginkel (re-sign Ogbah)
    LB Baker
    CB Howard, Byron Jones, (re-sign Needham)
    S Holland, Brandon Jones and Rowe

I guess the Friday music was an early bird special today?

It may not be totally accurate but at least it gives us a view at what the cap situation is. Only two players with 8 digit annual contracts. Paying a QB big money unless we do something weird is not an issue for at least a couple of more years. We have $1.65M in dead cap. Things can still change. Who knows. LOL

Nice to see Krishna back

59. Krishna says:

Impressive about Stanger! Amazing and grateful he seems to be still with us. A blessing, imo!

60. Krishna says:

Thank you Mike E….interesting write. Harbaugh?

Oh my

Emmanuel Ogbah is not going to be cheap. If you look at top edge rusher money and how he’s played the last two years. Think $20M annually – 4 years $80M at least. He’ll be 29 next November. I’d do it, he’s a really good Edge guy. Plays the run well, rushes the passer and bats down passes.

He’s in his prime.

62. Krishna says:

Covid….is that still a thing? Lmao!

Great to see you back Krishna. Also the upward trend on Stanger is incredible. Good stuff.

Hey Krishna! Glad to see ya bud! Yeah, I really think it would be great to get Harbaugh. I don’t think anyone else available will get us winning as fast as he can. Biggest obstacle is that he’s technically not available

65. Krishna says:

Ken and Mike E and anyone he talks to and cares to share….it means a lot to know it here, good or bad, at least to me….thanks.

Welcome back Krishna!

67. Krishna says:

I think he can? But why do think his reign would be short-term? Self-destructive?

M13 threw out the Jim Harbaugh stuff early on even though we all know that connection with Ross is there. LOL

Would it shock me? No! But I don’t expect it.

It’s not just about connecting the dots. I really would be happy if he became available and we got him. No other HC candidate would have me as confident as Harbaugh would. Doesn’t mean he’ll succeed, but I think he has the best chance to.

Yeah I hear ya. The NFL is a tough business.

Players do what they do. Tua in his 3rd year is huge. Build around his skills. He’s extremely accurate and he’s a gamer. I do not think we’ve seen the best of him yet.

Krishna – I said in the article that it could be a short term engagement. If we win for a few years it will be worth it to me. If we win some playoff games or maybe even make it to a SB, it would be well worth it

70. Krishna says:

Am I back on….testing…lol

71. Krishna says:

Oh my….

72. Krishna says:

I would prefer a 10 + year coach….I know it’s possible.

OL Eichenberg, Hunt, Deiter
    TE Shaheen, Long (potential)
    WR Waddle, Parker, (re-sign Hollins)
    RB Gaskin, (re-sign Duke)
    QB Tua

The offense needs a lot of work.

I’ll be pissed if they don’t keep Ogbah.

Kwon Alexander is good when he is healthy, but he had a lengthy unjustly history. I’d pass on him based on that. He’s been three teams already in his career/ not a good sign.

77. naplesfan2010 says:

Hey Bookman … I put Chenal on my draft shortlist,
    he’s huge and hits like a Mack truck …
    athough it’s early,
    and we’ll some guys rise to where we can’t get them or fall to us and we get lucky.

78. naplesfan2010 says:

Dolphins 2022 picks
    R1 P25 — RT Ikem Okwonu 6’4 325 NCState or 6’5 300 Nicholas Petit-Frere Ohio State or Daniel Faalele Minnesota 6’9 380
    R2 P50 — RB Cincinnati Jerome Ford 5’11 220 or Kenneth Walker Michigan State 5’9 206
    R3 P86 — ILB LSU Damone Clark 6’3 245 or Wisconsin Leo Chenal 6’2 260
    R4 P112 — WR Ole Miss Dontario Drummond 6’ 220 or Jaquarri Roberson Wake Forest 6’ 182
    R4 P116 — ILB Mike Rose 6’4 245 Iowa State or Quay Walker Georgia 6’4 240
    R5 P143 — RB Rachaad White 6’2 210 Arizona State or Kennedy Brooks Oklahoma 5’10 214
    R6 P178 — QB Stetson Bennett Georgia or Tanner Mordecai SMU

79. naplesfan2010 says:

For example, Jerome Ford has dropped to where we could get him in the 3rd, and Faalele has risen to the late first, while Okwonu might have risen into the top 10 in Round 1, where we will never be able to get him.
    Rachaad White had a huge fade, but that might be erroneous and change back up to a 3rd round range.
    I worry about him after Kalen Ballage broke my heart.

80. naplesfan2010 says:

Has anyone heard whether we will return to the traditional combine structure with 40 times and agility splits to help everybody pick their guys?

81. naplesfan2010 says:

I hope we resign Gesicki and Smythe and Ogbah, after that … Needham, I guess, although I suspect he’d like to follow Flores wherever he ends up, as he’s the guy who believed in him as a UDFA.
    Needham only went to UTEP and only has a 65 pff grade. To me he gives up a lot of receptions, although he has made some important deflections and had a couple INTs.

82. naplesfan2010 says:

out of 53
    of our players are FAs.
    That’s a lot.

Not exactly how that works, we may have 32 FAs, but not out of 53

Looking at players under contract I count 33, that could be part of the 53 for 2022

Add to that 8 or so draftees, we only need to fill another 12 spots

Guys like Rowe may cause extra spots too

Ogbah is a must keep. Gisecki would be nice to keep but not the end of the world if we lose him. I actually think he kind of faded a little bit down the stretch

Naples
    As you look at Chenal, I think you will see a player who does not take a play off. High motor guy.

I don’t know if any of you remember
    But a few of us wanted to draft both Kwon Alexander and Duke Reily in their respective draft years
    Don’t give that too mu by weight bc some pigs around here want to draft everyone
    But the point is, at the time Duke Reily came out, we were calling him a poor mans Kwon Alexander

And I think they both lived up to that reputation

Both being from LSU and having similar builds, they kind of do the same thing
    With Kwon being a bit more athletic

I’m not sure how his name came up
    But I think he’s a solid LB

If he leaves The Saints it will be his 4th team
    I can’t imagine he will cost too much money. He’s already his nfl nomad status

Hopefully we hire our HC soon
    And the HC hires an OC and DC soon after

Really I don’t low what LBs are going to fit the mold
    But Kwon Alexander would have been a good for in Flores defense IMO

Also

You don’t have to splurge on LBs in free agency
      Kwon is a 4th rounder

If we end up with multiple day 2 picks, I wouldn’t be surprised if we drafted an athletic LB in 2nd or 3rd round

If we stay on a primarily 3-4 base I think it’s a little easier to scout and draft good LBs in college

This guys speed is impressive and he would be a great fit in our 2021 defense

You won’t see it in this highlight video but he’s actually very good in coverage

And his name is Jojo…

Belicheat said he didn’t want to coach into his 70s, turns 70 in April, but wants to coach this year

The end is near

Above replied on our FAs, we may have 32, but not out of 53…

• naplesfan2010 says:

That is actually correct.
      That list includes IR guys, so we have a total of 62 on the roster, with 32 FAs.
      So a little more than half our roster is not under contract.
      That’s still a lot.
      (This does not include 6 “futures contract guys.”) (only one of whom has ever played a snap for us.)

You’re looking at it backwards, you don’t count the FAs as part of the roster, you have to look at the guys under contract, that will likely be back

Guys like Roberts and Needham, who will most likely follow Flores won’t be back

Expect we’ll draft a punter too

See about 5 guys we should sign from the FA list, but usually some on the cheap sign too

91. naplesfan2010 says:

looking at that long list of FAs, of course I want Mack Hollins back and Palardy and Duke Johnson.
    Then a second tier of guys I’d want back if we can’t find anyone better includes Phillip Lindsay, Duke Riley, Brennan Scarlett, Ford, Biegel, and Jenkins. The rest are meh.

Except we do need a QB who can go in for a stretch and not lose every game with no prayer to win.
    Is that Jacoby?