Wild Card Playoffs – Dolphins @ Bills

The Miami Dolphins, the #7 seed in the AFC Playoff bracket, is easily the most overlooked, dismissed, and underrated team in the entire NFL. Some of it is fair, no doubt. The Dolphins basically put themselves in that position, at 8-3 with lofty aspirations of winning the division and being the #2 seed or maybe even the #1 seed, the Dolphins season took that roller coaster descent that only the best wooden roller coasters can give you, seemingly straight down, with scary creaking noises all the way down. 5 straight losses that started on a west coast trip to San Francisco to face off against the 49ers, then to LA to face the Chargers. Those two games really had the team reeling, we were overmatched and outclassed by two teams I felt we should be able to at least compete with, if not defeat. We then returned to the east coast to play the Bills in a cold, damp, and later in the game, snowy arena, and our team unexpectedly handled the situation much better than expected, but we still came away with a very hard fought loss, albeit a close game defeat. The game that bothered me the most, besides the loss the Chargers, was the loss to the Green Bay Packers. Of course we find out later that our QB Tua Tagovailoa played the 2nd half concussed and that made everything much more understandable. Without Tua, the Dolphins traveled to New England to face the Patriots and as per usghe, our starting QB, Teddy Bridgewater was injured and couldn’t play the whole game so 3rd string QB Skylar Thompson had to finish, and the Dolphins came up short in a close game, but fell 23-21, to give the Dolphins their 5th straight loss.

Last weekend, with the playoffs on the line, facing the NY Jets, with backup QB Teddy Bridgewater incapacitated with a dislocated pinky finger on his throwing hand, the reins were handed to 3rd string QB Skylar Thompson. Time to release the venom coursing through my body, and welcome to the NFL Hype Machine. Clearly, the 49ers are a better team than the Miami Dolphins, their defense is a top NFL unit, and they also happen to boast plenty of offensive firepower with RB Chrisian McCaffrey, WR Deebo Samuel, WR Brando Aiyuk, and TE George Kittle. The thing that has me burning is how they’ve portrayed 7th RD pick, #252 (Mr. Irrelevant) Brock Purdy, as the second coming of Jesus. I know he’s played well, in 5 games, for a really good team. I also know he’s helped his team win, and they haven’t won in spite of him. That’s because the Niners are a very well coached team. They have created situations for Purdy to succeed, and have shown confidence in him. This is precisely what the Dolphins need to do on Sunday. A gameplan that resembles the gameplan against the Jets will have us losing 31-7. We can’t win this game like we won the Jets game, because unless our defense steps up and shuts out the Bills offense, the Bills are likely scoring 30 or more points. Playing ultra conservative, trying to keep the ball away from the Bills just won’t cut it. We’re going to need Skylar Thompson to throw the ball, and I don’t mean be reckless, but we’re going to have to take some shots with our 2 most productive offensive players, Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle.

Back to Purdy and Thompson. I honestly don’t believe that that there’s a huge gap in talent between these two QB’s. Purdy is definitely one cocky son of a gun, and so far it has served him well, but I don’t think there’s a huge chasm between Purdy and Thompson. Shanahan is the master of offense, he has it in his blood. He knows how to wring the best of his players, knows he has to use his best players, and he showed confidence in his young QB and was rewarded. Rookie Head Coach Mike McDaniel is going to have to take that lesson from his teacher, and put that into use this Sunday. RB Raheem Mostert is not likely to play with a broken thumb, a huge loss for us on offense. Jeff Wilson can carry the rock with some physicality, but don’t mistake Jeff Wilson for Derrick Henry. He’s not the type of guy at under 200 lbs that can put the team on his back. We’re simply going to have to throw the ball, and get our playmakers the ball. I have to admit that it looks to me that Skylar is gripping the ball so damn hard, he’s made some throws appear as if he has an arm inferior to Tua Tagovailoa, but this kid can throw.

We’re the team playing with house money. We should be the loose team, the team that has no expectations, no one is giving us a slight chance this weekend, the complete opposite of how most of our season played. We have one game to get it right, to put everything out there, and I want us to go out guns blazing, not with our guns cold in their holsters. We will have to run the ball, and if we can have the success we had against the Bills in Week 15, then stay with it. Again, Raheem Mostert was the guy that day, so we will be relying on Jeff Wilson and Salvon Ahmed. Ahmed is a good receiver with quickness in space, so he could be a weapon for us this weekend. So can little used TE Mike Gesicki. We know Gesicki has shortcomings, he’s slow out of the gate, a long striding receiver who has little short area quickness and agility, but if you throw the ball up to him, I’d bet good money that he’s the one that will make the catch. He has strong hands, that big play against the Jets showcased that last week on the biggest gain through the air for us, a 32 yard pass play. Yes, he doesn’t get YAC, but sometimes you just need a catch, and I like him to make that catch. Coach McDaniel likes to take chances, he gambles a lot on 4th down, he’s going to have to let all the stops out Sunday to beat the better team, the Buffalo Bills. Let’s not have any regrets, don’t play scared, play loose, like you have nothing to lose, which by the way we don’t, because the NFL already has us losing.

#stangerstrong

GO DOLPHINS!!!

274 Responses to Wild Card Playoffs – Dolphins @ Bills

1. Krishna says:

Couple of typos in the second paragraph after the third sentence ending in “Kittle”

I’ll keep reading.

2. Krishna says:

Good read, Mike E. We agree that to win this game, we have to go after it, while not being reckless! Exactly!

I think we have to be little reckless though, we can’t put handcuffs on Skylar, he has to be allowed to rip it if he has someone. He consistently did the opposite in the Jets game. We’re not going to win like that. Hill beats his man, chuck it, don’t even think about it. Same for Waddle. If he looks at that and says to himself that he’s afraid to make that throw, we’re done.

• Krishna says:

You want to argue semantics again, but I don’t. To me, reckless in stupid.

What you just described is not reckless…”Hill beats his man, chuck it, don’t even think about it.” That is aggressive and going after it to me….lol.

Krishna – By reckless, I mean some trick plays, going on 4th downs, pull out all the stops. I don’t think Skylar throwing the ball to Hill is reckless, I think it’s a necessity.

Sure would be nice if Skylar had a TE to throw to for some easy completions

Ahmed needs to be used more on pass plays, he’s an asset catching

Since there’s a good chance our game goes into OT, thought I’d bring up the new playoff OT rule, that says both teams will be given a chance to score

NFL Announces New Overtime Rules

The NFL has announced new overtime rules which means postseason games won’t end with a touchdown on the opening possession of overtime. Now, both teams will have a chance to score a touchdown.

Guess you better go for 2, if you score 2nd

I think Gesicki was targeted the most times this season last week with Skylar pulling the trigger. I expect that will continue. Tua is more aggressive with his throws to spots down field to WR’s than Skylar. I think Skylar will continue to look for the safety blanket throws to TE’s

If we can score 30 or more points doing that Rock, fine, but I think we’re going to have to hit some plays to Hill, Waddle or one of the other WR’s, either Sherfield, Cracraft or Ezukanma. I wonder if EZ will be active Sunday

What a bunch of pussies, the pussification continues…we had to do about 200 in a 10 minute period in PE, after the football was pissed for kids acting out

8. Wyoming85 says:

Armstead limited today is a good sign, he may play

Nice write, Mike E. While we can win this game, we’re going to have to pitch a damn-near-perfect game, to use a baseball analogy. We must limit mistakes, win the turnover battle, and capitalize on every advantage possible… for example, that means the Cheetah returning kicks and punts.

I’m 100% with ya on Skylar playing loose, not cold in the holster. We can do this!

11. Wyoming85 says:

CONGRATS to THE CHEETAH for being selected as 1st-team All-Pro!

Sucks that Mostert can’t play, but I’m not surprised. Tough to play when you can’t grip the ball, especially when any turnover can be the one that downs you in a playoff matchup against a better team. It’s on Wilson and Ahmed. Not ideal, but it’s what we got.

That Defense is GOOD…

Mike E,

Have you ever seen The Mandalorian season 2 episode where Boba Fett finally got his armor and weapons back?

16. bailbondmike says:

Back from vacation. Had just a superb relaxing time, 7 days in Key West and the last 3 in Dania Beach (a stone’s throw from Hollywood Beach). Just decided to stay away from all media and anything that would give me stress. I didn’t even know Dolphins won until I checked scores on my phone late Sunday night. That was the best decision I could have made as I feel like I have been on vacation for a month. lol

17. bailbondmike says:

I am glad we beat the Jets and made the playoffs. It is sad that we have to enter the postseason with so many damn injuries. I don’t think any team has entered the playoffs with as many injuries as this Dolphins team. I hope we can put up a good fight.

Welcome back BB Mike!

You have amazing control, there’s not a shot I’d be able to avoid knowing the score of the game, I’m truly impressed

Last time the Dolphins were in the playoffs, I was working where I am now. I was trying frantically to get the game on my transistor radio, but it wasn’t coming in well. I remember finding out the score at about half time, 41-7. I said that’s impossible, the game is only in the 2nd quarter, we must have heard it wrong, or the guy made a mistake. No mistake! UGH!!!

20. Krishna says:

Let’s reminisce and conjure up the negative…go Dolphins…lol

It’s Friday…

22. Krishna says:

I read an article today about Jeff Beck shredding it…lol

23. bailbondmike says:

My wife and I have this “thing” with the #1. It’s weird. Many times, I just glance at a clock, not to check the time but for some reason it will catch my eye, or I will pick up my cell phone and it will be at the 11 minute mark, 2:11, 8:11 etc. Happens a lot. Again, not specifically checking to see what time it is, just “something” makes me look at that moment.

Anyway, we got married on 1-11. We had our anniversary two days ago. We headed down to Hollywood FL to our favorite taco place. I put $5 in the parking meter and it spit out our ticket. Printed on the ticket was the time it expired which was at 1:11 pm on 1-11. We then headed on to a casino. We stopped so I could get some cigs and a $20 scratcher for the wife. It was ticket # 001. She scratched it and won $100. At the casino, we played for about 4 hours and was going to leave breaking about even. The wife was disappointed and thought it was going to be our lucky day. Leaving breaking even made me think it was our lucky day. LOL On the way, out she decided she wanted to play one more game. One of the big ones where 2 people sit at the same game and take turns spinning. I spun first and didn’t hit shit. Her first spin she hit for $1,111. She said she was ready to go, I said “same here”.

Well, actually she hit for $1,111.40 but, still… I just don’t know what it is with us and the #1.

24. bailbondmike says:

January 13, 2023 at 4:49 pm
    ————————
    Dude, ok, I’ll fess up. It was our last day in Key West and she wanted to go shopping. So, I decided it would be better for me to make her happy than to make her listen to me piss and moan the whole game. I poled my head in every other bar on Duval St. to try and catch a score. I forgot to charge my phone the night before so it was back at the place charging. There was not one bar I could find that had the Dolphins game on. It was all the other games so I had to get enough time to see the game tracker at the bottom of the screen. Seemed like every time I checked, it was 3-3 then later it was 6-6. We got back to the place about 8pm to start packing. I didn’t check the final scores until 11pm. I couldn’t take it anymore. I was sick to my stomach but, at the same time, afraid to look. I saw we won and the weight was lifted. lol

I still decided to stay away from the blog and media the rest of the vacation.lol

The Whole Darn Family – Seven Minutes of Funk

This song has been sampled SO many times since it came out. I think it’s beautiful.

January 13, 2023 at 4:54 pm (Edit)
    Sorry, that wasn’t the last time we were in the playoffs, we were in with Chad, which didn’t go much better. 😦

The last time was 2016 I believe. I went to that game in Pittsburgh and it was a balmy 5 degrees. 🥶

27. Krishna says:

I don’t get the Monday night playoff game…wtf…more people will tune in…hmmm

28. Wyoming85 says:

Only for NT!
    Only for Tim! 😉

29. Wyoming85 says:

See!
    We’ve been looking at this the wrong way

30. Wyoming85 says:

Kader Kohou (Dolphins) joined Sauce Gardner (Jets) and Tariq Woolen (Seahawks) as NFL First-Team All-Rookie CBs as selected by Sports Info Solutions

31. So there is a new narrative out there now that not only will Tua not be with the Dolphins next year but he won’t even be in the league. WTF is going on?

32. Mike, I don’t think pulling out all the stops and running a trick play or two is reckless. We’re undermanned so why not go deep into the playbook and try some things to catch the Bills off guard if the situation presents itself. What are we saving it for?

Reckless to me is Skylar not playing smart and he does things that Brett Favre used to do by blindly tossing the ball because he didn’t want to give up on the play. Taking shots down the field to Hill and Waddle like you said isn’t reckless, it’s taking some shots. Checking down all day isn’t going to win this game. Being aggressive and not playing scared is a good thing. There’s a difference between that and reckless.

33. boulderfinfan says:

Wyoming,
    That last tweet is so true.
    I love that! I would not get rid Tua. He’s the best qb we’ve had since Dan Marino. Yea he’s had injury issues. But fix the reason we have those issues but keep the talent.

• Exactly! Yeah let’s get rid of the highest rated QB, #1 in YPA, TD/INT, 3rd down and redzone. The only way Tua isn’t back is because he decided to retire. His brother recently said that’s not his plan. It’s amazing how talking heads go on rants and create narratives that are only in their heads and have nothing to base it on.

34. Hey M13, you probably felt like you were being attacked and cornered last night. I just want to say sometimes we all get challenged because of some things we say and you need to just let it go and move on. One issue or opinion doesn’t define a person. You bring plenty of valuable commentary to the blog.

35. Krishna, I saw your Jeff Beck shredding comment. If that was in reference to my comment to Naples, this is what I meant about him not being a shredder. Not that he can’t at times, but that’s not what he’s known for. Shredding to me is John McLaughlin, Allan Holdsworth, Al DiMeola, Eddie Van Halen and lots of metal players. Playing very fast and very technical. Beck’s approach was much more musical and unique. His technique created ethereal sounds mixed with various phrases of chaos. When you listen to him play his notes vary in volume and tone. He’s one of the most create guitarists I’ve ever heard.

Here’s him doing a cover of a Beatles classic.

• Krishna says:

TK….you are a musician and way into it….that is awesome and I love hearing your takes on music and musicians.

I didn’t even remember who said it, but someone said he was a shredder and someone said he wasn’t…idk

I wouldn’t know a shredder from a trash compactor…lol.

I read. I was reading an article the very next morning (coincidentally), that said he was one of the greatest shredders of all timr, blending tones, rhythm, etc, whatever…again, I don’t have clue…lol

I just put it out there as it seemed debatable….that is all….no harm, no foul and I’m clueless….lol

• Krishna says:

Tk…that was fucking beautiful!

36. Sonny, I think you’ll love this one.

37. Well this club isn’t hopping at all on this Friday night. LOL

Will this be the first time this year that Nance and Romo will be doing a Dolphins game?

39. randydolfan1947 says:

BACK IN the opening round of the 2008 Playoffs the Dolphins were in a somewhat similar playoff position. Miami’s inferior Offensive Line led to an injury by starting QB Ryan Tannehill who was out for this game vs. an excellent Steelers team. Poor Matt Moore was the starting QB for the Fins. Moore was actually body slammed early in the game but bounced back up!! But by the end of the 1st quarter the game was over as Pittsburgh jumped to a 14-0 lead and never looked back. Brave Mr. Moore threw a meaningless TD in the 4th quarter, making the final score 30-12, Steelers in a game that was MORE LOPSIDED than the score.

That’s kinda how I see tomorrow’s game. Armstead is dealing with FOUR injuries!! 3 of the remaining 4 starting linemen are dealing with injuries, further depleting what was already one of the worst O-Lines in the NFL!! And the loss of Morestead kills whatever running game we may have had.

Here we are, 15 years later, and STEVE ROSS STILL HASN’T FIGURED OUT that you can’t win NFL Playoff games with a shitty O-Line!!! He may be a real estate genius, but he’s a total dunce cap when it comes to NFL football!!!

I SO MUCH wanted THIS GAME TO BE A CLASSIC, as were the two prior Miami/Buffalo games this season. After all, it’s being played ON MY BIRTHDAY!!
    But I can see NO WAY for Miami to win this game.

MY PREDICTION?? 30-12, Buffalo for Howie’s LIST.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

MIAMI’S BIGGEST NEED REMAINS A NEW OWNER!!!

I’m not writing this game off. Sure the odds of winning aren’t the best but I’m an optimist. Anything can happen.

Go Dolphins!
    ❤️🐬🏈

I have low expectations for tomorrow. I am just hoping we are not embarrassed

We know when healthy we can play with Buffalo but we are not healthy

I wouldn’t know a shredder from a trash compactor…lol. Throw in a random wood chipper and who knows … 😊

We will be competitive tomorrow

First two games were close games
    Teams don’t play each other 3 times and then all of the sudden blow each other out

I don’t care who’s out – it’s hard to blow out your opponent when they know you so well

And Josh Allen has a turnover problem

If it’s close in the 2nd half we have a shot at a historical upset

BBM . Speaking of 1:00.. we need to get Phin Dog some help to get back on here , and he can can tell y’all a great story about 1:00 o clock… 😂😂

We need to keep Allen in the pocket , not allow him to run on us and that will greatly improve our chances .. his legs scare me more than his arm and decision making

47. Wyoming85 says:

Dolphins rule out Eichenberg, elevate 2 players from practice squad for playoff game vs. Bills

Dolphins Elevate RB La’Mical Perine & OL Lester Cotton

Hamlin visited the Bills today.

That, combined with all of our injuries, has us getting slaughtered all over it.

In 24 hours will it be the off season, or will Tyreek Hill be looking forward to playing his ex team?

Fox just had some ridiculous skit about Wildcard Housewives, had all the wildcard playoff teams represented, except the Dolphins. Either we’re already written out, or something crazy is going to happen and we’re gonna pull off a crazy upset. I do agree with Brian though that the Damar angle makes me feel like the Bills are the storied team

51. randydolfan1947 says:

Just heard from a friend that FAU’s basketball team edged North Texas 76-72 in Boca Raton in front of a raucous sell-out crowd at Baldwin Arena. This is the 15th consecutive win for FAU, an all-time record since they started playing Division One basketball! One of the reporters stated “This should elevate FAU to the Top 25 in the weekly poll that comes out next week!” We shall see. FAU is now 16-1 on the season with a lone defeat at Ole Miss. The following game, they travelled to Florida and beat the Gators in Gainesville, the first of their 15 consecutive wins.

Apparently, the game was carried live on ESPN PLUS, which I don’t get. To say that I’m surprised would be an understatement.

Next season FAU joins the American Athletic Conference, which means they’ll play South Florida here in Tampa Bay in all sports. Also, I expect ALL of their football and basketball games will be televised in most areas of Florida.

Howard Schnellenberger, if he had survived to this day, would say “I told you so!!”

• manitobafinfan says:

Happy early birthday sir ..

• randydolfan1947 says:

THANK YOU, Sir.

I still remember my last in person sit down chat with Howard. He told me that a reporter from THE PALM BEACH POST told him “Pigs will fly backwards before FAU football and basketball games are televised nationwide.”

Wait a minute. I just saw a pig flying backwards as he landed at FAU Airport (an on campus facility once manned by the Army Air Corps before it became the U.S. Air Force!)

Howard would be SO-O-O PROUD!!

Seahawks giving Niners some trouble!! Good game!

Who had Geno Smith as a Pro Bowl, playoff Qb?

54. Anyone know much about La’Mical Perine?

55. Our game in BUF really comes down to how well the defense plays. It’s doubtful we score a lot of points on offense. Will probably need a ST’s and/or a DEF TD in a higher scoring game to win. If we can keep this game in the low 20’s we have a chance.

Drafted 4th round 2020…267 career yards rushing and 11 receptions

Samaje Perine is on the Bengals. La’Michael played for the Jets, mostly a depth or 3rd down back

Seahags need a TD now or game over

Okay so you want the clock stopped .. got it 🤡

And that’s the game 😕

61. I think the 49ers are going to the Super Bowl. I know the Eagles are right there too, it’s between those two for me. Edge 49ers for me though.

Agreed Tim. additionally , we need to win the turnover batttle by probably 3, which is a big ask.

The 1:56 mark is what December felt like this year

67 and 68 downfield again, WTF are they doing

65. bailbondmike says:

Someone mentioned this being a “storied” game or playoff run for the Bills. (not sure which was meant).

I am just wondering, if the Bills are now the “STORY” for the NFL, when do the bad calls against the Dolphins or the no-calls on the Bills start? Early in the game to get them a lead, later in the game if the score is too close or throughout the game just to make sure the Dolphins don’t become the “story” instead of Bills?

Not to take anything away from Hamlin. His fast recovery is nothing short of a miracle.

• I understand what you’re saying but in the spirit of sports that is just wrong.

The recovery of Hamlin is wonderful. But that’s where it should end as far as the game goes. The Bills winning has nothing to do with where he is in life. There are also lots of other players and coaches who have been battling all year. Of course the first game happens to be our Dolphins. I really hope we spoil the party.

• bailbondmike says:

I hope we do as well. That was a post I would probably rethink about posting. I am going on 1.5 hours sleep last night here at work. My brain is a little loopy right now. No nap in sight. Working 115K and 64K bonds. Hope the 64K doesn’t happen. It’s 64 counts of larceny. That’s a lot of fucking writing. lol

• bookman11 says:

My thoughts exactly

Go Jags.. Go Chargers .. I am so conflicted

I said it Mike, because after all, this is the entertainment business, not so unlike Hollywood. The Bills make a heartwarming story as they win big for Damar, even if it’s at the expense of the Dolphins, who apparently weren’t really part of this story anyway, other than being the sacrificial lambs

• I total get that but the game should not be officiated based on a story. This is sports, not a movie. If the NFL starts going that way they’ll lose hardcore fans.

Of course. Not saying the calls should go their way. Just saying if the Bills kick our asses the NFL already has a built in storyline to follow. I think it would make a great story if we could knock them off and then Tua came back to play and we won the Superbowl. I think so far we’re not really involved in this game as far as the hype is concerned. I’d love us to play well and beat Buffalo

68. randydolfan1947 says:

THIS HAS LIKELY been mentioned several times already.
    FLORIDA is, I believe, the only state that STILL HAS THREE TEAMS ALIVE IN THE CURRENT NFL PLAYOFFS.

Right OD!!

Dueling ints in Jacksonville so far

71. bailbondmike says:

That’s been Lawrence’s problem right there. I do think he will keep getting better and better though. He has the right coach IMO.

Sunshine Ronnie Bass

73. bailbondmike says:

That illegal contact probably should have been called.

Should have been illegal contact on Samuel

Herbert throwing lots of weird angle passes, as if he’s nervous

76. bailbondmike says:

Jax not having a good start

I don’t understand what is PI anymore

Wow

Wow Lawrence is bad tonight

Looks like our game with Chargers, no one open

Chargers D game plan is almost identical to how they played us

82. bailbondmike says:

Well… apparently we aren’t the only team that seems to struggle getting off the field on 3rd and long.

I hope we win the SB with Skylar, and I know I will get crap for this opinion, but we would be heading towards the SB with McDaniel and Herbert.

• Herbert has not been that good this year. He’s had his moments but he’s also looked meh in many games. I had him on my FF team and he was not a big producer of points. I know people say who cares about fantasy, but it’s a result of production. He makes mistakes in the red zone and turns the ball over at bad times. This game is being handed to him to just not fuck it up. We’re going to see a lot of Austin Ekeler now.

LAC vs KC

That wasn’t close to PI, maybe Offensive as the WR wrapped up the CB

86. bailbondmike says:

Trevor Lawrence’s first half QBR (so far) is 0.

87. bailbondmike says:

Guess Jax blew their wad getting to the post season.

GA vs TCU

Well this game is a bag of dicks

So is Jacksonville fan base ready to give up on Lawrence?

Day-um! Just tuned into the Jags-Charger game. Trevor Lawrence with 4 INTs in the 1st half (Asante Samuel Jr with 3 of them)? WOW!

I’m rooting for the Jags, yet I want Lawrence to throw one more INT: revenge against the Jags for Marino’s last game.

Why is Cris Collinsworth’s kid a sideline reporter?

Game upgraded from bag of dicks to bag of dildos

94. bailbondmike says:

I wish Little Debbie Fudge Rounds were a health food. Best snack cake ever made!