Sodomized at the Draft with Colonpokey: The Ireland Years

ColonpokeyMasterCodeofColonpokey

Until last year, there was no greater lightning rod for Dolfan debate than whether Jeff Ireland deserved his job or not.  Want to relive the case for firing Ireland?  I assure you it will make your butt hurt.

JakeLong

We start in 2008 when the Ireland/Parcells duo selected Jake Long with the first overall pick.  Jake Long was one of the best Left Tackles in the game for some time.  But should the Dolphins have taken Matt Ryan?  Long is basically out of the NFL now and Ryan is going strong, albeit the Falcons aren’t winning like they were early in his career.

But its not the selection of Long that should have Dolfans scratching their heads.  Its the 2nd round selections of Philip Merling and Chad Henne.  Now your butt hurts doesn’t it.

This is the Ireland curse.  The curse of the 2nd round.  Its probably worth while to include the 3rd round in the Ireland curse as well.  During the Ireland era, we rarely brought in good football players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  And he had a lot of them to play with.  Take 2009 as an example.

NFL: Preseason-Miami Dolphins at Tampa Bay Buccaneers

After the Dolphins parted ways with Brian Hartline this year, there are no more players from the 2009 draft on the roster.  Our first pick that year, Vontae Davis was shipped to Indianapolis to find his way around the urinals there.  Davis has excelled with the Colts.  We took a 2nd cornerback in that draft named Sean Smith.  While Sean Smith was a whipping boy for Dolfans during his time in Miami, he hasn’t been half bad in Kansas City.  There is a possibility that Sean Smith is Ireland’s best 2nd round pick.  While you are finishing puking in your mouth, remember the real failure of the 2009 draft.  The two Pats!  YUK!!!!

2pats

2010 brought a few Dolphins who have been productive for the Dolphins.  The Dolphins traded back in 2010 to take Jared Odrick who also left this offseason.  In the 2nd round the Dolphins took Koa Misi, who started at MLB in 2014.  The Dolphins actually selected 4 linebackers in that draft to help Mike Nolan run his defense.  The biggest bust of the 2010 draft was probably John Jerry who may have eaten his way out of Miami.

So Ireland is back on track right?  2011 should be great right?  No Dolfans, No!  Butt hurt is a mysterious thing.  In 2011 the Dolphins traded up from the 3rd round into the 2nd round for Daniel Thomas.

2011 Draft

Thomas had some moments as a Dolphin.  He blocked well and scored a few TDs.  He also blew out Darell Revis’ knee on a little cut which earns him a place in my little hamster heart.  But the trade up and the fact that DeMarco Murray was available in the 3rd round gets him on this list.  I bet you are accusing of me of hindsight right now.  You are right!  I am looking at your ass!  But you should be aware that most experts had Murray rated higher than Thomas in 2011…except Ireland.

Oh Yeah, the Dolphins selected Clyde Gates in 2011 in the 4th round.  And a lot of us celebrated the Glide pick in the 4th round…oops.

MartinMarsh

In 2012 the Dolphins selected Ryan Tannehill with their first round pick, a selection I greeted with cheers and shots.  In the next round the Dolphins would get a steal.  An anchor to protect Ryan Tannehill and his name was Jonathan Martin.  The Great Martin would become known to Dolfans for his toughness.  Not a bad 2nd round pick right?

Egnew

In the next round Ireland would continue to help Tannehill by bringing in a reliable weapon, tight end, Michael Egnew.  What a pair of great picks by Ireland right?  Does your butt hurt?  I bet it does.  Well, here is the good news, while Martin and Egnew aren’t very good football players, they make one hell of a dessert.

Those 2012 players quick exits are easy to evaluate as busts, but players like Dion Jordan and Jamar Taylor are still a mystery.  So I will keep my hamster trap shut about those guys.  After the 2013 season, Jeff Ireland was fired to the delight of many Dolfans.  The evidence above points to the obvious fact that Dawn Aponte got a quality GM fired based on a play for power and the dysfunction in the Dolphins’ front office…right?   Right?  RIGHT?

SealofPokey2

I hope I made it difficult to sit for the rest of your day.  Next week, we take a look at the Shula years.  Even icons have bad moments.

This post is Pokey endorsed.  Don’t ever accept a Pokey Post without the seal of Pokey!

*************************************************************************

The Mock Poll Draft Goes On!!!

Big-Tooth-Pig2-798260

Even though the Dolphins have picked.  I am still nevous.  Who will fall?  Who will go early?

The Eagles are on the clock

What will Chip Kelley do?

Don’t know what other team’s needs are?  Here is some mocks by the experts at NFL.com to give you an idea

This entry was posted in Misc. Bookmark the permalink.

357 Responses to Sodomized at the Draft with Colonpokey: The Ireland Years

1. jetsssuck says:

first—-did the dolphin/ny jets game go into OT.

Lol! Nice job Piggy!

MikeTim,

Mejia had tightness in his elbow while wasming up yesterday (gulp!)

Nice article! Colonpokey, my butt is now hurting. I’m glad that guy is in NO now instead of anywhere near our team. Dion may not have been a bust but his contributions have not mirrored his spot in the draft. Hoping for a diamond in the rough though.

Uncle – Uncle – Uncle

Stop! I can’t take it anymore, leave my butt alone Pokey
    And please don’t make us look at the Shula years. John Bosa (ouch that hurt my butt) don’t do it…

Let’s also pay homage to Shawn Murphy, John Nalbone, Lionel Dotson and the great JD Folsom. Ireland on Folsom: “We have a role for him”

Great job Piggy! You have exposed Ireland’s butt. There were some seriously awful early picks. He seemed to hit more picks in the later RD’s, for whatever reason, which is very unusual.

Looks like the Chargers have drafted Gurley

Ah, LOL @ Try. I had no idea what you meant.

The Chiefs are on the clock

Most of the experts at NFL.com have the chiefs selecting OL

Andrus Peat fits a WCO style blockign scheme

Piggy prediction of the next 3 picks base don what’s left on the board

KC – Andrus Peat
    Clev – Malcom Brown
    Phi – Arik Armstead (and Oregon guy)

I have the Chiefs taking Jaelen Strong

If andy Reid takes a Wr it will be a speedy one
      He likes speed in the WCP
      So Perriman is more likely
      One of the experts at NFL.com (the only one having them take a WR) has Kansas City taking Devin Smith

There recieving group sucked last year
      but the consesus seems to beleive they are taking OL

They got Maclin in the offseason. You might be right about wanting a speedy receiver.

That just the Andy Reid offense Mike E

its a WCO with a lot of speed at the skill positions
    In Philly it was Maclin, Jackson and McCoy

He has a good RB to start with
    But Bowe was not for Reid
    and likewise I do not think Strong is

They need their DeSean Jackson
    but maybe they go OL int he 1st round and WR (devin smith) in he 2nd

Defensively they are in good shape

BTW – Running a 4.44 is not exactly a slow receiver either (Jaelen Strong)

Yeah I know

Strong is fast
        I’m just saying Andy Reid’s offense might be looking more for a Doresett or Devin Smith type
        Or Perriman

No way am I a Charger fan. If Suh didn’t make me Lion fan or Cam a Panther fan then Gurley has no shot.

The Chiefs lost one Safety in FA and Berry is out sick and Landon Collins is still there, this is obvious and a steal for the Queefs.

I saw some funny stuff there Piggy but I do not want to revisit the past and bad draft picks etc.

Andrus Peat with 3 votes leads the way

Strong, Perriman and Collins each with one vote

I usually close the voting at about 10 votes
    Should be fast and furious today like it was, last Thursday

Sonny

OK, good to have you back. lol

Brian, what is with these pitchers’ arms these days? I don’t remember this being an issue back in the day. 10-15 day disable list was about it. Now everyone’s elbow or shoulder explodes.

I was watching Mejia warm up, and as he threw his last pitch, he kinda of jumped up. I thought it was just because he was done, I didn’t realize he was in pain. Now it makes sense. Has there been any further news on Mejia yet?

I have to get work done today

But I leave you with a tweet I sent last night

Check back later today to put the next team on the clock

Hopefully one of the next coupel of votes are either Collins or Peat to break the tie between the 2

I read a article last year about how the pitchers are being pushed so hard through little league and high school now, and they aren’t given the proper amount of rest. Whatever the case, it is alarming, particularly for the Mets.

Yeah kids sports are insane these days with over zealous parents and coaches living vicariously through children. Not that there wasn’t some of that when I played, but it’s even more insane today.

Thanks Bri

Hope Mejia is OK. It would be crazy if it’s something serious.

Son, no doubt about the money. But I have some friends who have and still are going through sports with their kids and some of the stuff that goes on is insane.

• Brian in NY says:

My son started lacrosse this spring. he is in a learn to play league that practices in an indoor bubble with four shortened fields where soccer and lacrosse on various levels take place. On the next field I heard this father screaming instructions to his son (about 10-12 years old). I’m thinking to myself “WTF? Please don’t ever let that be me>”

Mike E, I agree that Jennings doesn’t change any plans on the future. He helps us now though.

I also wanted Jennings over Wallace but days before FA I knew Wallace was going to be our target so I just accepted it.

I like Jennings and hope we pick him up. We could use a few more pieces.

When I was a kid, my little league was nowhere near the best around. There was one elite little league (Gil Hodges), and one very good one (Kings Bay), but (West Brighton) my little league did one thing right, that I don’t see the little leagues around here in NJ doing. When we were 6 and 7 years old, we were put into waht was called “The Association”. In the Association, all we did was do drills learning how to throw, how to catch, how to field ground balls, and how to field fly balls. Then we learned how to hit, but never, NEVER, did we play a game of T-ball, or any other baseball game until you were done with the year of association. I hate that they throw kids on the field in t-ball without having any idea as to whether they can catch a ball properly, or how to throw. I think they’re so worried about keeping kids “entertained”, rather than teaching them the necessary skills to play well.

Enjoy Try! – How long you there, a week?

Try, that’s just slightly better the the place I usually stay at.

And the Cheifs select landon collins

34. Al in MIA says:

Good morning…
    Good points above but my final assessment of Ireland was disappointment but not necessarily ‘terrible’. His biggest failure was on offensive linemen (and offense in general).

He had a tough time picking up anybody who wasn’t the best rated at their position (wiffed on Jerry, Murphy, in medium range of draft among others). He was ok on defense but below average on offense.

Early on he had Parcells over his shoulder so its tough to tell who called what on draft day. I’m pretty sure Long was Parcells decision all the way. Pat White was also Parcells decision (stated publicly). The trade up for Daniel Thomas was necessary because neither Ronnie Brown or Ricky Williams were re-signed and the Fins had only Lex Hilliard on the roster to start. The team didn’t acquire Reggie Bush until after the draft so you can see why Ireland was forced to trade up to get a RB though we can discuss that he took the wrong one (Dallas took Murray before Miami’s spot in RD 3).

But enough about Ireland who’s on to other places :P.

In the same way Ireland was handicapped by Parcells, I hope Hickey is not by Tannebaum. Ross says publically that it isn’t so but Ross has been proven wrong with his public statements in the past -> 1) Said Carl Peterson would not be involved in football matters of the Miami Dolphins; strictly a football stadium technology venture but then Carl is seen with Jeff Fisher during an official team interview visit.

Anyway, things are looking up at least on the talent acquisition side. Time will tell but Hickey and Tannenbaum both at least come from organizations that place a premium on both OL & DL talent and the moves so far in just a little over a year seem to reflect that.

After we signed Suh, Tannebaum said he won’t be seeing much of Dennis and Dawn which told me that Hickey is the personnel GM and Aponte oversees the cap. Mr. T oversees the overall football operations and specifically is involved with implementing sports science and trying to make the org 1st in class. That’s why he was hired, it was too much for Hickey to oversee all of that and focus on personnel.

• jahndoh says:

Al, I thought the revelation of the business venture came AFTER the Fisher deal. I think everyone knew that Ross’ ONLY football minded friend was Karl Peterson. It took public campaigns from a few fans and troop rallying for Peterson ever to become a pr issue.

• jahndoh says:

Besides, nobody freakin knows what Karl said, I can’t believe I even engaged this conversation it’s so stupid that Karl Peterson gets so much airtime with this crowd. Amazing what the constant repetition of a pejorative nickname can accomplish. LOL…

Honestly, I don’t care a damn bit about what Karl’s role was or what Ross said Karl’s role was.

35. jahndoh says:

I’m glad you like the way you did it Mike, but I don’t know that not letting “kids” actually “play” the “game” for an entire year is the right way to go either. Too many LL parents think their kids are going to the Big Leagues as it is. I wish they’d just let their kids be kids.

JMHO, but I have seen the really ugly side of little league parenting first hand. Folks forget who it’s about too easily.

I respect your opinion on that, but thoroughly disagree. They will have plenty of time to “play” ball, but it’s best to understand how to do the sport before you play it. It’s like taking kid to a mountain, putting them on a ski lift and putting their skis on telling them to ski. You teach them on the bunny hill first, how to hold ski poles, how to put on their skis etc. etc.

You have kids out there that have never played before and have no idea how to field a ball properly, let alone protect themselves, and just for the sake of “not boring them” with teaching, we throw them on the field and let them play.

• jahndoh says:

I get ya, but in your analogy I don’t let the kid slide on snow for an entire season. That’s not how teaching kids works. Games is part of the curriculum. If I thought there was a rash of little league injuries threatening our kids I might feel different, but obviously, allowing a kid to swing at a ball on a tee doesn’t preclude them from learning to protect themselves.

WTF

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP · 3m3 minutes ago
    Played for Dolphins from 06-11 MT @BenVolin Former NFL CB Will Allen has been charged by SEC in a ponzi scheme http://www.sec.gov/litigation/complaints/2015/comp-pr2015-58.pdf … …

BrianCat ‏@BrianCat13 · 20m20 minutes ago
    There isn’t a Crabtree/Jennings caliber player available in FA at LB, G, or CB.

Jennings should have rapport with Freeman, FWIW

The Browns are on the clock!
    Who’s career do hey ruin now?
    See edited post today for some facts about Browns

I voted Dupree. He’ll be off the board by pick #15 for sure, no way he lasts this long.

I feel like he has been on the board a long time
      and he gets vote every poll

But he is actually the 16th ranked prospect on CBS
      Malcolm brown is the highest rated propsect still ont he board (15th)

We have actually been pretty conistent with their big board
      with the exception of Kendricks who is ranked lower by CBS
      but Kendricks is higher on other sites – so its not crazy

He should have been the Texans pick.

Jahn and Mike, the difference when we were kids was we played pickup games and practiced every day because we loved to play so when we joined league we already knew how to play baseball. Some kids today don’t know WTF they’re doing and should not play until they do or they could get hurt.

The biggest difference is the passion to play. If the kid isn’t into it he’s not going to get much out of it.

• jahndoh says:

Seems like if we learned it organically, “kids these days” could do the same with a supervised and controlled t-ball game isn’t it? Are kids less capable of learning through play than we were?

I don’t really think we were more “passionate” as kids than any of our modern day kids are. How old are you guys getting. LOL. (JK/BB!!!) 🙂

It was way different when I grew up. We played everyday because we wanted to, not because our parents signed us up for a league.

Living in the city and playing in the schoolyards, we played ball constantly. It’s just very different in the suburbs, IMO. I saw a lot of parents signing their kids up for LL that have never played ball in their life, but their parents wanted them to have some activities. I see what happens in t-ball leagues, and I think the instruction is woefully inadequate. I would do it a lot differently.

What’s the highest anyone has seen Kendricks?

Highest Rated players (CBS rankings) left ont he baord

1. Malcolm Brown
    2. Bud Dupree
    3. Andrus Peat
    4. Jaelen Strong
    5. Melvin Gordon
    6. Breshad Perriman

Today all these brats have to do is sit there and press buttons and the figures on the screen play like pros for them. Me and most on here pre-date even Pong. We were outside ballin’. Sun up to sun down.

Mike E, I grew up in the suburbs but we had fields everywhere and if we weren’t playing baseball, we were playing stick ball or wiffle ball somewhere. We walked everywhere and gathered along the way, we didn’t do play dates.

46. Al in MIA says:

Random thoughts from yesterday’s posts…

Mike E,
    I agree that an overall number cap number on season carries is a good guideline/policy (as with limiting pitch counts for pitchers) but when a player is hot in a game you ride them (like disregarding a 100 pitch count in a game where a guy is throwing a no hitter deep like last night with Sonny Gray of Oakland who almost did it). Having said that, Lamar needs more carries in games where he is feeling it and also where the Fins are facing an opponent with a tough D that needs to be softened up and tired out.

D,
    I like Rory Anderson but he’s a TE (h-back) and perhaps what you said about Mike Davis’s success being part of Rory’s blocking ability is a good selling point to take Rory later in the draft (as a Clay type replacement).

Regarding picks in the first 3 rounds…the odds of a pick lower than 67 overall becoming a 3 year or more starter is less than 50% (about 52% for those selected 46-67 range). However, this is an interesting analysis that you and Jahn might like.

We used to play “kill the man with the ball” when I was a kid
    That was fun
    we removed all the strategy of games and just attacked the kid with the ball
    it was fun when you didn;t have the ball anyway…

Dorial Green-Beckham – WR to the Browns

Write it down!

GOOD MORNING DOLFANS!! – – Me and Mrs. OD suffering greatly from this bug. Got to sleep around 5 AM and ended up with about 3 hours sleep and 7-8 hours of, well, I’ll spare you the details. NOT going to work today; Tomorrow looks “iffy.”
    —————
    This morning’s TAMPA BAY TIMES has the details of kicker Lawrence Tynes getting seriously infected with MRSA at the Bucs training facility. TWO more Bucs (perhaps more) also got serious infections of this drug-resistant menace. Tynes’ infection was SO SERIOUS he had to retire from football!! – – Now he and his lawyer are suing Bucs’ ownership for over $20 Million!! –They say the Bucs former trainer has admitted to using NON-STERILE EQUIPMENT previously contaminated with MRSA in an attempt to save money!! – – If they can prove this (and the trainer IS willing to testify) the Glazer family will take yet another serious credibility hit in a community that is already estranged from the Buccaneers’ franchise. And to think that Wayne Huizenga was the ONLY PERSON that stood between the Glazers and full ownership of the Dolphins’ franchise!!! –Meanwhile the Glazers refuse to discuss this issue while telephone lines to local sports radio shows lambast the Glazers and demand that the Bucs be sold to a family with “civic responsibility.” It’s obvious to me that the Glazers are gutting their NFL franchise in an attempt to prop-up their investment in MANCHESTER UNITED. Another 3-4 win season will witness an 80 per cent empty Tampa Stadium in December home games.
    ————–
    ANOTHER fine analysis, Piggy! – – The only thing worse than Ireland’s dismal draft day disasters is the fact that some so-called “Dolphin Fans” believe he was a good/great general manager!! — Back to bed! Out for now. (OD belches and farts).

Feel better OD and Mrs. OD!

Al

That’s how I feel with Miller, exactly actually. When he’s going well, why pull him? It drove me crazy!

52. Al in MIA says:

Mike E,
    From my personal experience in sports in general, practice is nice but game experience matters more in development of anything. Yes, there is a tug of war as to when the training wheels should come off but I don’t think any coach in organized sports tells a kid “put on a glove and just go out there and figure it out”. The basics are taught by almost everyone and you can only do so many fundamental drills given the short time frame in which kids are participating in after school or non-school activities. There were plenty of successful kids out there given the same training. But the desire to get better should come from the player itself (as was the case with my cousin who was a multi-year MLB all-star & WS MVP; he begged his dad to practice outside of team activities for hours upon hours.)
    Out of my brothers, the best one at baseball learned by trial by fire. He used to try and play with his older brothers (we had 5-6 years on him in age) and our friends; we used to pitch slow to him (fast to everyone else who was of age) but then we just started throwing heaters to him because he was making good contact from time to time on slow pitches instead of what we wanted -> automatic outs. LOL. Guess what, he picked up the fast pitches in a short amount of time and easily outshined his peers when he played with them. Same for fielding situations.

If you are just checking in today
    Don;t forget to vote for the poll
    The Borwns are on the clock

Almost every game we played as kids was violent. Bulldog, Johnny on the Pony, Ring-o-levio, and even the games that weren’t violent, like SPUD had a violent ending for the loser. lol

55. Al in MIA says:

Piggy,

LOL @ “kill the man with the ball”.

“Burn ball” was another fav of mine growing up 🙂

56. Al in MIA says:

How the Dolphins see Jennings visit….

57. jahndoh says:

Tim, did you play little league as a kid? And if so, were ALL of the other kids like you? Organically taught baseball and ready to roll, or, perhaps, were some of them just there because their parents signed them up for a league. Old is a state of mind, and while the world is different now than it was then, I don’t think kids are all that different. Some of them teach themselves how to play and some don’t learn until they’re in T-ball.

I have no problem with either of those scenarios. But I think the kids learning in T-ball should actually learn what game play looks like too, not just drill work.

There were a few kids who sucked that didn’t know what they were doing but their parents signed them up. They got an inning in the field and one at bat and that was it. LOL

Al

I think it’s important to keep in perspective that the situation of “Association” I was talking about was for 6-7 year old kids. Once they were 8 or older, they played regular little league. It was just the younger precursor to playing ball, I think it was a very valuable program.

Mike E, nothing wrong with bumping up his attempts with 3 or 4 more PG.

60. jahndoh says:

OK Al, now you have to reveal your cousin’s identity. You can’t get by with that lead-in and not tell us! 😛

Mike E did you guys wear leather chaps when playing Johnny on the Pony? LOL

• jahndoh says:

LOL..we played smeer the queer. Basically it was about dogpiling anyone who held the ball. I’m certain that title went away at the same time they started calling it “criss-cross applesauce”. LOL…

“Johnny on the Pony” is Colonpokey’s favorite icebreaker….

Mike, I signed my son up for a pre-season Box Lacrosse league, which to simplify is basically shorter fields with six kids on each side. They practice “learn to play” in grades 1 and 2, where they practice on skills, then do a 20 minute scrimmage to finish up an hour long practice. The also have a five week, two practice a day fundamentals camp where they practice ground balls, passing, shooting, proper checking technique, etc. I think this is fine for the younger kids just starting out. He wanted to play in the town league as well, which starts in three weeks. I was expecting some type of round robin league similar to the PBC soccer league I grew up with. That’s not the case. They travel to four or five different towns to play their games, some that are up to 30 minutes away. Seems a bit much to me for 1st and 2nd grade.

I think I know who Al’s cousin is.

LOL @ Tim

Thankfully, I only played Johnny on the Pony a few times, I thought the game was retarded.

April 7, 2015 at 11:18 am
    Excellent point Tim.

I saw kids who didn’t know how to play who’s parents signed them up get hit in the face with the ball because they couldn’t catch.

• Brian in NY says:

LMAO @ that visual! it’s so true though, and then the parents probably yelled at them for not catching the ball!

Like hell Brian those parents would go ape shit on the kid who threw or hit the ball at their little prince.

67. Al in MIA says:

Regarding more big injuries these days, there are too many theories out there and not enough conclusive evidence pointing to one specific thing.

Anyway this was Verlander’s opinion a month ago when asked about it last month by ESPN’s Jayson Stark:

“I think baseball coddles guys so much now that you delay the inevitable. I think the reason you see so many big leaguers blowing out at a young age is because they would have done it before. But now teams limit pitch counts so much, even at the major league level, that now a guy in his second or third year will pop, when it would have happened in the minors.

“Before,” he continued, “when there wasn’t such an emphasis on pitch counts, I think you kind of weeded that out. Then guys would have surgery [in the minor leagues]. Then they’d come back. And then they’d get to the big leagues.”

What are you guys talking about with Al’s cousin?

“But the desire to get better should come from the player itself (as was the case with my cousin who was a multi-year MLB all-star & WS MVP; he begged his dad to practice outside of team activities for hours upon hours.)”

• Brian in NY says:

son of a son of a shula says:
    April 7, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Bingo! And the Manager or asst. coach. LOL

I think I know who it is too Tim

Troy Glaus?

72. Al in MIA says:

LOL @ Jahn “can’t leave us with that lead-in”.
    Just wanted to make a point about someone who had success at a high level of competition (skills aside) by always pushing himself beyond what any coach could do or wanted to do. Usually the trait of anyone who becomes really successful in anything they set their mind to -> industry/trade/craft/service/charity etc but everyone here already knows that stuff. Soon it will be you with the beers. Anyway, player in question? Mike Lowell.

73. Try Pod says:

As a kid in Miami, we basically only played 2 games “organically”, football and basketball. There were occasional softball and kickball games, even rarer soccer, but the only baseball was parents signing kids up for “Khoury League”. Football ruled. Of course wyd play volley ball and tennis and other kids games (smear the queer, dodgeball/war)…

• Al in MIA says:

Same. My brothers and I were given tennis lessons one time but that didn’t stick with us. Baseball & Basketball were the norm for us growing up but in terms of organized sports, we only played baseball (football for 2 seasons that’s it; before HS).
      We played at South Miami & Tamiami.

• Try Pod says:

Right- I did 1 tour on the NJTA (tennis), and 2 on Pop Warner. Some of my friends did swimming at Sheeler-Winton, and would get up crafty early in the mornings to get their laps in before school, which started @ around 7:10 am.

• Try Pod says:

Crafty= crazy

74. Al in MIA says:

Btw, speaking of baseball, how about the extension NJ’s own, Rick Porcello of Morristown, got? 4yr / 82 mill from Boston …Craaaaaaaaazy what they pay a slightly better than average guy these days lol.

Porcello graduated from Seton Hall Preparatory School in West Orange, New Jersey in 2007

• Try Pod says:

I grew up with Greg Behenna- you may know (of) him- more specifically, I grew up a block from his family home with his siblings, as he was maybe 3 years older than me.

Edgar Rentaria?

Scott Brosius?

77. Al in MIA says:

Son,
    lol, already stated above somewhere 😉

I don’t practice Renteria I ain’t got no crystal ball
    I had a million dollars but I’d, I’d spend it all

Al

Very cool. I was expecting a latino name, you threw me off with Mike Lowell. lol

David Freese?

Lets go Humans
    2-3 more votes in for the Browns and I will close out that poll and move on

And now its a tie between Malcolm Brown and Brent Hundley

If one of them breaks 3 votes they win
    And we will close the vote

And Brown wins it

Brown to the Browns

Nice humans…

The Ducks….I mean Eagles are on the clock

I am probably being a little too cute
    But I am picking Arik Armstead, the former Duck, to the Eagles

They need Defense and Chip Kelly knows Armstead

I took Marcus Peters, but it could easily be Jalen Collins too.

Peters was my second choice

You figure Chip Kelley knows his old division rivals too

The Eagles and the Ravens need help int he secondary badly

CBS has Collins at the 72nd best prospect!
        9th best CB
        I don’t know why they don;t like him
        most people have him top 5

86. Al in MIA says:

Mike E,
    It’s dated (from 2004) but here is a summary of Mike’s background I guess.

I can’t see mlb.mlb content. Ridiclulous! I checked wiki though, he’s from Puerto Rico, but is of Cuban descent. I didn’t know that.

April 7, 2015 at 12:38 pm
    Bingo! That’s who I was going to say. I didn’t know he was Cuban until I looked it up but I remembered you mentioning him on the blogs before.
    Oh! Wait! That’s what I was going to say too!

Joe Marino ‏@TheJoeMarino · 2h2 hours ago
    My Guard rankings & grades for the 2015 #NFLDraft. Only 1 graded in 1st 2 rounds. R3/4 is sweet spot. 16 draftable

Every time Lowell went to bat
    my Mom and Abeula would say “You know he’s Cuban”

So I defiantely knew

Here is the Beer I owe everyone!

Piggy

I think CBS is a little skewed, but so are some other sites. I think Collins is the 2nd best CB, at worst 4th.

IMO CBS is the most reliable cite
      I like Rang and Bulger
      No one is perfect
      They may have missed the mark on Collins

Based on this I would predict the next 4 picks to be

Eagles – Peters
      Bengals – Peat
      Steelers – Dupree (a perfect fit for them almost unfair)
      Lions – Erving

92. Al in MIA says:

Mike E,

That is just ridiculous that Mlb.com gets blocked at your work LOL.

Anyway, I just saved the article as an .xps file which I shared for you on my cloud account.
    You should be able to view it.

93. Al in MIA says:

Wyo,
    Ali Marpet or bust for me LOL. Maybe Tomlinson as well but I like Marpet better myself.
    Glowinski & Jarvis Harrison from Texas A&M intrigue as well but may need some time.

Seriously, I was going to post the initials ML but didn’t want to expose it if Al didn’t want it out there. You don’t have to believe me but I knew it was him. Al has mentioned Mike Lowell in the past.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout · 17m17 minutes ago
    Damarious Randall finished his visit with the #Cowboys today. I’ve been told they love him and consider him the best safety in the class

Al

Thanks man, but that was also blocked. I’m going to get my phone and read it on that. As of now, they can’t block my phone! 🙂

Al

Just read it on my phone. Very nice story. I must be getting old, I totally forgot he was on the Yankees. Now I remember the whole deal when he was traded to the Marlins.

Yeah, sure Tim . . . . . . lol

April 7, 2015 at 1:30 pm
    Peters was my second choice

You figure Chip Kelley knows his old division rivals too

The Eagles and the Ravens need help int he secondary badly

CBS has Collins at the 72nd best prospect!
    9th best CB
    I don’t know why they don;t like him
    most people have him top 5
    ———————————-
    Jalen Collins is my favorite CB of the draft. He’s a great combination of a lot of good attributes, size with speed for press, closing speed for zone, and spped and the refined technique to stay in a receivers back pocket for man

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 14: DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 20 (PHI): Benardrick McKinney, ILB, Mississippi State (A)
    Round 3 Pick 20 (PHI): Jaquiski Tartt, SS/FS, Samford (A)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Senquez Golson, CB, Ole Miss (B+)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Jake Ryan, OLB/ILB, Michigan (B-)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Cameron Artis-Payne, RB, Auburn (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Wes Saxton, TE, South Alabama (B)

Dbolt48 retweeted

Doug Moore ‏@DMM0822 · 1h1 hour ago
    Source: #Dolphins & WR Greg Jennings have agreed to a deal. #NFL #NFLFreeAgency

SWEET! Welcome to Miami Mr. Jennings!

Where has D-Bolt been? Any of you see him on lately?

Wyo

I know he’s on twitter, I meant on the blog silly!

So, we have Stills, Landry, Jennings and Matthews. Either Parker, White, Perriman, or even Dorsett or Coates would really round out the receiving corps nicely.

Kinda funny how things ended up. When we took Wallace we passed on Jennings (who was my favorite for us to sign) Vikings missed out on Wallace, settled on Jennings. This offseason we come full circle, and now they have Wallace and we have Jennings. To me, it almost feels like a cosmic righting of a wrong lol. Maybe its a good sign of good things ahead.

• jahndoh says:

Jennings was my preference too. Like Tim, I just fell in line when it became apparent we were going to land Wallace…but I will say it now. Unlike Brandon Marshall, there was NEVER a time when I found myself liking Wallace. There was at least a period of time with Marshall where I convinced myself to like him, but it’s like there was never so much as a honeymoon with Wallace.

That said, I don’t think Jennings is any sort of long term building block for this team, but he’s a damn fine stop gap if we just need a guy to start next year for whatever reason. We draft one of the young studs in this draft and we’re much improved at WR from when we ended last season. As it stands I think it’s arguable whether we’ve improved, regressed or stayed the same. I’d probably opt for the latter.

LMFAO @Tim!

A bullet that reached its destiny years later
    Henry Ziegland thought he had dodged fate. In 1883, he broke off a relationship with his girlfriend who, out of distress, committed suicide. The girl’s brother was so enraged that he hunted down Ziegland and shot him. The brother, believing he had killed Ziegland, then turned his gun on himself and took his own life. But Ziegland had not been killed. The bullet, in fact, had only grazed his face and then lodged in a tree. Ziegland surely thought himself a lucky man. Some years later, however, Ziegland decided to cut down the large tree, which still had the bullet in it. The task seemed so formidable that he decided to blow it up with a few sticks of dynamite. The explosion propelled the bullet into Ziegland’s head, killing him.

109. jahndoh says:

Just because a dog has jock itch doesn’t mean it’s horny. You guys are so immature! 😛

I was really excited when we signed Wallace, but my preference was Jennings.

I have not seen any other reports that we signed Greg Jennings.

It’s national beer day! 🍻

113. Al in MIA says:

Jennings took a stroll this morning before deciding on signing that contract…

114. Al in MIA says:

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 40m40 minutes ago

Nothing on Greg Jennings and the Dolphins YET. Stay tuned. Remember he needed to pass a physical.

115. Al in MIA says:

LeGarrette Blount suspended one game by NFL for his marijuana stint with Le’Veon Bell. I’m pretty sure Goodell first checked the internal NFL docs to see if the Dolphins were scheduled to play NE in Week 1 :/. Pretty much guarantees NO lol.

The Hernandez case is in the hands of the jury now. During closing arguments the defense lawyer admitted for the first time that Aaron was present at the murder, but had no clue it was going to go down. He’s essentially saying he is guilty of being part of the cover-up, but that ain’t murder either.

The eagles select Arik Armstead
    the Bungles are on the clock

118. Al in MIA says:

WPLG Local 10 News ‏@WPLGLocal10 52m52 minutes ago

Wow!!! Local 10 viewer sends in amazing pic of bobcat catching shark on a Florida beach! http://bit.ly/1E1hLnX

And Will Allen always seemed like one of the good guys.
    ———————————
    “Former Miami Dolphins, New York Giants and New England Patriots cornerback Will Allen, along with a Florida woman, was charged by the Securities and Exchange Commission for running an approximate $31 million ponzi scheme from 2012 until February of 2015.”

According to the complaint “Allen along with his business partner, 54-year-old Susan Daub, managed multiple companies they founded under the umbrella of “Capital Financial.” The pair gave questionable loans to athletes after raising money from investors, telling them they could receive up to 18 percent interest in returns. Then, Allen and Daub used money for personal expenses that included night clubs and pawn shops. Allen and Daub reportedly ripped off over 40 investors for approximately $31 million.”

120. Al in MIA says:

Can’t see how the Eagles would pull the trigger on a trade with Cleveland unless they can be guaranteed Mariotta (and that can’t happen unless Cleveland is on the clock without Mariotta having been selected to that point). The other possibility is that the Eagles are targeting another player or value 2-3 of them very high who they expect to be available (perhaps a CB that they think Miami will select?). Perhaps if Gregory were to slip to 13, they would take him.

The Bengals Poll is up

122. Al in MIA says:

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 2h2 hours ago

Seriously, who still goes to message boards in today’s social media era? Your grandpa?
    —-
    lol.

The obligatory Bud Dupree vote is in
    Guy gets one vote every poll…

• Al in MIA says:

He’s a good candidate for the Texans as Tim pointed out before but for our mock draft…Might as well call his name lol now again.

Phindog
    There is no searching for hamsters
    When the hanster is ready – it finds you!

(A shreiking sound is heard in the background)

Okay
    I’m crossfit bound
    be back later
    I want at least 10 votes!!!

So WTF – Did we sign Jennings or not?

Apparently, tiger erections are blocked at work as well, not that that’s a bad thing. lol

If you just add WR at the end of that sentence, it works.

Speaking of tiger erections, former Miami Dolphins QB Dick Wood passed away today. RIP Dick

Jets signed LB Erin Henderson. Somewhere, GDP sheds a tear . . .

It doesn’t sound like Jennings signed. We probably didn’t offer enough. We’re probably in the market for a vet WR on a one year deal and these guys are hoping for more.

• Brian in NY says:

He may just be mulling it over, or we may not have offered him a deal yet either.

True, but Crabtree left the same way.

That said it may be their only opportunity and at some point they might have to accept.

funny stuff piggy.

I think the phins want to see if we somehow parker falls to us before spending money on a veteran WR like jennings or crabtree.

• jahndoh says:

I don’t think the fins are going to spend much money on either of those guys. How long will they be unemployed before they have to sign a deal? They going to wait until the WR rich draft gives all their suitors young, cheap talent?

The jig is up for those guys. They won’t be getting anywhere close to the money they had hoped they would get.

I can’t wait much longer for the draft. The anticipation is killing me!

Don’t forget to vote

150: R5P14
    OLB JAKE RYAN
    MICHIGAN
    191: R6P15
    G BEN BECKWITH
    MISSISSIPPI STATE

Oh yeah Cincy only needs a pass rusher so leave a top 10-15 prospect on the board and reach for a lineman.
    O-line crazy blog

138. Try Pod says:

RIP “Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltraine”
    James Best
    You’ll get those Duke Boys eventually

He used to show up on the Andy Griffith show from time to time.
      RIP James Best
      git git git

The Bengals are looking for pass rushers and defense overall so I picked Dupree for them, good value. Not sure what is driving some of these picks. Not trying to criticize but some of these picks after the top 10 didn’t make much sense. I really hope CB is not where we’re going. Waynes is a good prospect but I don’t want to think some of the young corners we have are already afterthoughts and I don’t think they are. I think Taylor will be penciled in opposite Grimes to start things off and we’ll go from there.

I agree totally

• jahndoh says:

I gave a pretty good rationale of my pick for Cinci, Tim, no offense intended (at all!) but it seems like you think you know other teams’ needs better than the rest of us. Maybe you do tbh. But for Cinci 3 of the 4 NFL.com mocks picked OL. They DID just pay Dalton a ton of money. It’s a typical model to protect your investment in that situation. They also have more draft picks besides the first round to address their needs.

I’m sure it could go either way there, but it’s not like one option is totally off the wall while the other makes perfect sense or something…

I’m pretty sure peat and Dupree are the next 2 picks

It makes sense
    Both team are looking for pass rushers and OL

If Dupree went to Cinci
    I would just pick Peat to Pitt

So the fact that it’s Peat to Cinci and Dupree to Pitt is pretty irrelevant

New Browns helmet

I have to throw this out there. There are a couple of our young playera that get criticism for playing time performance and even the coaches get blamed for it. I just want to point some stuff out.

2013
    1. Dion Jordan – was drafted coming off of a shoulder injury that required surgery. He was not 100% too make a big rookie impact but he played STs and got 12-15 defensive reps per game. The coaches got blamed for not knowing how to use him. That’s comical.

2. Jamar Taylor – had a sports hernia injury he had to have surgery for and then got messed up because of a narcotic he was taking for an illness that messed up his body and could have killed him if not corrected. He did play in 9 games.

3. Dallas Thomas – also was coming off of a shoulder injury and really didn’t play at all as a rookie.

2014
    1. Dion Jordan – put on weight and muscle in the offseason and got suspended for 4 games for PEDs. Then failed again for a more recreational drug, got 2 more games and entered a rehab facility before the season ever started. The coaches got blamed for not knowing how to use him. That’s comical.

2. Jamar Taylor – played in 12 games before separating his shoulder and got shut down at the end of the season. Showed some promise too.

3. Dallas Thomas – played guard and tackle and showed potential and got his lunch handed to him as well.

There is more to it with these guys than just flippant statements that coaches don’t know how to use them, they’re not durable or just simply suck.

2015?

Hopefully they all live up to their draft status at some point we have to go forward rather than just keep replacing the same positions over and over again.

• jahndoh says:

I didn’t know that about Jamar Taylor. What was the deal with the narcotics? Addiction? A bad reaction with another medication?

Something he took for an an illness he was dealing with almost shut down his organs. He got it corrected and then got back on the field. Not into looking it up but I read it for sure.

The Steelers are on the clock

Is it Bud Dupree’s time
    My Oink senses say yes…

144. jahndoh says:

Peats overall ranking on CBS was 19 and he went 21st. I don’t see how that’s a reach? Meh..doesn’t matter I guess. It’s not like we were going to nail the draft with our democratic mock anyway. LOL…

Did you guys know that 3 of the 4 mocks on NFL.com had the bengals going OL
    Peat in 2 of them
    the 3rd was Flowers

146. jahndoh says:

BTW Tim, I’m with ya on hoping CB is not what we do in the real draft. I just don’t see that as a pressing need for us, and I don’t see Waynes as one of those players you just can’t pass up either.

Don’t know what we would do if all of the top 3 WRs are off the board, but you know one player I wouldn’t complain about us picking. 🙂

The one real problem I have wit our mock draft so far is Kendricks at 15

I think we should bring in a young CB
    The one thing I don;t like about Waynes at 14 is that I think we can get a good CB to play in our system later in the draft

but Waynes was the BPA when we picked
    and he has potential to be special IMO

If he is a lockdown corner
    and we have an awesome pass rush with Suh and Wake leading the way – its going to be great for our D

Come on Humans
    Only 2 votes so far

This one is obvious to me

Jahn
    Meat, beer and Tequila

jahndoh says:
    April 7, 2015 at 10:07 pm (Edit)
    No way, meat and beer. What else is there?
    ————————-
    Man business, what does a pig know anyway?

152. jahndoh says:

“Okay but if you’re looking for a pass rusher and he’s there and then take an OL it’s weird to me. Look at their offense and defense stats and tell me where they’re looking. It’s pretty obvious.”

Do the same for us and then explain why the whole world has us going WR in the draft. We’ve already discussed that I think you overweight pass rush. I think it’s important, but you already told us you take pass rush over WR everytime, so maybe you’re bias is driving your choice?

Just sayin’ be open minded. Maybe what you see isn’t all there is too it. That’s the point of doing it this way, you get to see others’ rationale.

BTW, you’ve yet to address that 3 of the 4 NFL experts had them going OL (2 of them taking Peat no less) at that spot. So maybe it’s not all that obvious afterall.

I mean this totally constructively too. Not trying to instigate. I’ll take a break and go eat dinner and read your response when I get back. It’s all good. Respect and cheers!

• jahndoh says:

I hope it’s not coming off like I’m picking on ya Tim. Sorry if so. I really don’t intend it that way.

Jahn, I don’t get offended by draft pick differences. LOL

Peat is not a reach here, I just don’t think that’s where CIN will go. The Bengals only allowed 23 sacks last year and only had 20 on defense. Marvin Lewis is a defensive coach. Ding!

It turns out that James Best has ties to my little city, apparently he used to live here and the Townhouse restaurant has a painting of a rooster hanging inside that he painted, Oviedo is known for the free running chickens that run around downtown and believe it or not hang out mostly at the Popeyes.

Tomorrow is Wednesday so you know what that means – Another edition of Absolute Perfection and another Dolphin win. OD will put you on the 50 yard line as the “no names” cream Broadway Joe and the gang green.

Jahn, trade down into the 20s, get a 2nd and 4th, take LB Kendricks 1st, 2nd OT D.J. Humphries at 47, and WR Dorsett in the late 50s.

I saw that the phins are bringing in wes welker for a visit. I think this is purley for his locker room presence. I’m not sure how much welker can contribute on the field.