ABSOLUTE PERFECTION: THE 1972 MIAMI DOLPHINS

By: Randy Campbell (OLD DOLFAN)

4811455200_f147078d8d1

GAME 12: DEC. 3, 1972 – MIAMI at NEW ENGLAND

After beating the expansion Miami Dolphins 20-14 in Miami in 1966, the Patriots went on to lose to the Dolphins for 19 – – –  yes, – – – 19 consecutive years in the historic Orange Bowl. Patriots’ fans consider it one of the great jinxes in sports history!  That streak stands as an all-time NFL record for consecutive losses in the same stadium on a yearly basis.  However, in recent years, New England has held a decisive edge in this AFC East rivalry, winning six of the last seven contests, including the last four in a row.  After the 2011 season, Miami led the all-time series 50-43.

Three weeks prior to this game, the Dolphins slaughtered New England 52-0 in what remains the most lopsided game in the history of this rivalry.  Soon after the defeat the Patriots’ management fired head coach John Mazur and promoted former Green Bay Packer Phil Bengston to the position of head coach.  Very few observers thought this game would be close.  But Bengston promised to work his players hard, stressing football fundamentals, a positive attitude and the avoidance of mistakes.  Bengston knew that, historically, Miami had difficulty playing in colder climates.  He hoped that, with a little luck,  New England could be competitive.

Miami’s offensive coordinator, Howard Schnellenberger, knew that Bengston had not made significant personnel changes on defense.  He told his offense “We scored 52 on them last time.  There’s no reason why we can’t have a similar output this time.”  It seemed like the earl-morrall-240x300Dolphins moved the ball almost at will in the first half.  In the first quarter, Morrall advanced the ball deep into Patriots’ territory. But an untimely penalty and a busted play moved them backwards.  Garo Yepremian’s 36-yard field goal gave Miami a 3-0 lead after one quarter.  In the second period, Morrall mixed running and passing plays, controlling the clock and eating-up plenty of yardage.  But, again, another long Dolphins’ drive stalled, this time at the Dolphins three yard line.  Yepremian’s chip-shot field goal increased the lead to 6-0.  Meanwhile, Jim Plunkett was having another difficult day against the “No Name Defense.”  Young Vern Den Herder and Manny Fernandez were terrorizing the Pats’ offense.  Again, New England punted.  Again, Morrall led his offense on another sustained drive.  This time there were no botched plays or penalties.  Jim Kiick’s one-yard touchdown run gave Miami a 13-0 advantage.  Just before halftime, Plunkett moved his offense past midfield.  Under a ferocious pass rush, Plunkett moved to his right and delivered a perfect strike to Tom Reynolds, who took it all the way for a 36-yard touchdown play!  It was 13-7, Miami, at intermission.

Shula was livid in the halftime locker room.  He told his team they were being outplayed by a 2-9 team.  And he told them there would be “no Perfect Season and no Super Bowl if we keep playing like this!”  On the third play of the third quarter the game changed drastically.  6-foot-6 Vern Den Herder intercepted a Plunkett pass and rumbled down the field.  “I’d never intercepted a pass in high school or college, so I kinda had to think,’What do I do now’?”  Den Herder showed surprising speed as he sprinted down to New England’s 11-yard line.  Three plays later, Morrall tossed a three yard TD pass to Jim Mandich and Miami was in clear control 20-7.  Miami’s next drive produced yet another Yepremian chip-shot field goal.  A few minutes, later, some tough running by Csonka paced a drive to the Pats’ 14.  From there, Morrall threw a 14-yard strike to Marlin Briscoe and the Dolphins were decisively ahead by a 30-7 margin after three quarters.

dealbyauctionstore_1978_179962071

Don Shula was aware that, in the previous Dolphins-Pats game, Miami’s Jim Del Gaizo had thrown two long bombs in the final quarter, raising the score from 38-0 to 52-0.  He knew the Patriots were unhappy with this.  So, after Hubert Ginn sprinted eight yards for another TD early in the fourth quarter, Shula yanked some of his star players and turned to a more conservative offense, leading 37-7.  Phil Bengston decided to replace Plunkett with back-up QB Brian Dowling.  The Yale product passed for one score and ran for another, making the final tally 37-21, Miami.

One of Miami’s stars this day was their top back, the 237-pound bruiser himself, Larry Csonka.  “Zonk” ran for 91 yards, giving him over 1,000 yards for the second straight year.  Prior to this day, only Jim Brown, Jim Taylor, Leroy Kelly, Joe Perry and Jim Nance had ever run for over 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons in NFL history.  Csonka was in some very elite company!  And the Dolphins, as a team, also were in elite company.  They were closing in on the all-time NFL record of 2,885 yards rushing by a team in one season, held by the 1936 Detroit Lions.  Soon, the Dolphins would break that record. In fact, they would break many NFL records during the Perfect Season!

Next up: at the dangerous 7-4 New York Giants in Yankee Stadium.  The 1972 Miami Dolphins were now 12-0.

8 DAYS UNTIL THE DRAFT!!!!!

Aside | This entry was posted in Absolute Perfection and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

433 Responses to ABSOLUTE PERFECTION: THE 1972 MIAMI DOLPHINS

James Walker has released his first prediction of the season. He has us going 5-0 before we start to slide later in the season to end up 9-7

I hope he is 1/2 right LOL

Week 12: 11/29 at Jets 1 PM
    Week 13: 12/6 Ravens 1 PM
    Week 14: 12/14 Giants on Monday Night at 8:30 PM
    Week 15: 12/20 at Chargers 4:25 PM
    Week 16: 12/27 Colts 1 PM
    Week 17: 1/3 Pats 1 PM

What the fuck is up with our bye week AGAIN!?

Is this the first year we finally win against the Texans??

Only two home games out of the first 8 games? No 1pm games to start the year?
    Fuck you NFL!!!!

At least the Pats get their bye week 4 this year. That is refreshing

I haven’t looked yet, but anyone want to put odds on how many teams we face this year coming off their byes?

That Jan 3rd game against the Pats in Miami is going to have the stadium rocking. STAND THE FUCK UP AND MAKE SOME NOISE!

It will be up to the players and coaches to make sure that the patriots are not resting their starters. This could be a huge game with the playoffs on the line.

I feel like David talking to myself this morning. LOL
    Time to go to work. Busy day. Probably no time to post today. Have a great days folks.
    At least there is a nice view on the board this morning.

Texans or Ravens for the fest game this year??

Rockphin; thanks for all your comments. Hope you have a great day at work. Speaking of “GREAT DAYS,” every time Miami hosted the Pats in the historic Orange Bowl was a GREAT DAY FOR 19 CONSECUTIVE YEARS!!!! –Oh how I long for the days when Miami beat the Pats like a drum year after year!! –HOPE all of you enjoy Game 12 of the PERFECT SEASON!!!

Rock, always good to see your avi. OD, excellent article as always! I love this stuff!

I hate to agree with Walker but that prediction looks fairly realistic. Every year is different so Im hoping for 10-6. Im not a fan of the schedule either. We always seem to find a way to play the Chargers and the Ravens. Ready to see the Houston curse go away though.

14. jetsssuck says:

Rockphin says:
    April 22, 2015 at 6:22 am

Only two home games out of the first 8 games? No 1pm games to start the year?
    Fuck you NFL!!!!
    ———————————————
    2 of 1st 9 games are away games if you count the London game. Wow what a way to start the season.

OD – Perfection continues! Thanks for this great series, my must read every Wednesday!

I think we have a pretty tough schedule, especially all the away games the first half. Also, being “home” in London is a farce, but I know UK will be very pleased.

The way I see it, is the AFC East, always competitive, got even better. It doesn’t matter WHO we play though, it’s all in HOW we play. We play like champions all year, we’ll be champions. We play like chumps, we’ll be chumps.

I would rather have the away games early int he year than late

I think the schedule is advantageous

There is a chance we are out of it by the halfway mark
      but if we are hovering around .500 or better at the halfway mark then we have a great shot to make a run at the postseason

Well, yes and no. We lose the advantage of beating teams in the heat in our stadium early in the season. TBH, I’m not even sure how much of an advantage it really gives us these days. I would have preferred the London game to be an “AWAY” game, because we’re traveling anyway. WEEK 8 @ NE, WEEK 9 @ BUF, and WEEK 10 @ PHI. That’s a nasty stretch right there.

Woohoo

Dolphins win!
    12-0
    Lets get to 13-0

I love the fact that Shula was upset with a slim lead at halftime so we went up 30-7….lol

Funny thing about the schedule and prediction
    I aw James Walker predict the Dolphins start 5-0 or 6-0 or something like that and then finish the season 9-7

I get it
    we haven;t finished strong and the teams early in our schedule are not as strong as late int he year

but all those homes games late int he season
    no cold weather games in December
    That is advantageous

teams we play early like Washington, Jax, Tennessee that aren’t good teams (in 2014) might have a huge impact on our success
    We also play Jests (London) and Bills at home in that stretch
    if we get out of the first six games with a 4-2 record we are in great shape for the final 10 games

I think the toughest stretch of our schedule is that late October through November stretch

I’m not predicting 13 wins or anything crazy
    I expect ups and downs

But I do think the schedule sets up nice

I don;t think this schedule is tougher than any other NFL team’s schedule
    And there are probably teams with much tough schedules

I get what Walker means though. Seems in the last years I’ve been saying, “we aren’t as bad as our record….look at who we’ve played.” Have a feeling this year it might be, “don’t get so cocky.”

Mike
    I’m not sure if you take a look at the last several years winning home games in september has been a huge strength of ours

Yeah, I don’t think we’ve been a dominant home team at all. Probably because we haven’t run the ball at home very well, and controlled the clock on offense and defense. That’s how you choke teams in the heat.

If we’re going to be a good team we have to beat the mediocre and bad teams on the road early in the year.

Accepting to play in the London game is likely the reason for the unbalanced schedule. It’s also why we have the bye in week 5 again.

Our 2nd game in Sunlife is in NFL week 7. That’s just quirky.

One game at a time. Make plays, don’t turn it over and we should be fine.

So when people make predictions on an entire season the day the schedule comes out, do they go through every play and circumstance to get the outcome? LOL

I think any schedule predicting is kind of ridiculous, especially since we haven’t even had the draft yet, and even after the draft, it’s still unknown, but it has to be done, so we might as well have fun with it.

I love when the real NYers call WFAN and say “Hey Booma”. lol

Stanger

I think Pacino would be a great Head Coach.

Wondering why this took so long. These two sound like at best compete guys though. From B Jackson.
    ——————–

With a clear need at guard, we hear the Dolphins plan to bring in several veteran offensive linemen on Wednesday.

Among them: former Colt/Chiefs player Jeffrey Linkenbach, who has started 36 games over five seasons, and former Vikings sixth-rounder Jeff Baca.

Linkenbach, 27, played his first four seasons with the Colts, starting 33 games, then started three games for the Chiefs last season.

Baca played in four games for Minnesota as a rookie in 2013 and was on San Diego’s roster last season.

We look at our schedule and see we play the Eagles on the road, we consider it tough but we don’t even know what kind of team they’ll be and who the QB is. LOL

What’s up FUers? Quick drive by before court. I don’t mind our schedule. Biggest disappointment for me is not many home games early which minimizes our home field/heat advantage but no cold weather games and 5 of last 7 at home which negates what has historically been our biggest disadvantage. Overall I can’t bitch about the schedule.

I think it’s fine too, but am hoping we come into Dec with a lead in the playoff hunt.

To do that we will have to play well on the road. Fortunately a good share of the early road games are teams we could or should beat.

• Try Pod says:

If I go strictly off of our last decade’s +/-history, then I don’t think we can expect to be better than .500 at that point. It would be nice- but it is unlikely.

Why also does it seem like we play the Ravens every year. This is at least 3 years in a row where we play the Ravens and I think they have always been at home.

Maybe the committee was thinking about Mrs. OD when they made the schedule?

Or maybe they don’t like fried Pork? 😉

Ah man — hadn’t thought of that aspect. And the flip side is I might have less games to revel in OD’s very nice seats. But I’ll live.

OD, good read once again.

Ken, We play Balt as a result of us both being the 3rd place team in our respective divisions. Last was the same because of 2nd place and the year before I believe we played that entire division.

That f’n Texans game looks like the only real viable date for a fest.
    ‘Bout time we beat them, shits gone on too long.

Don’t see another one. And you jinxed the Giants came when you said “not on a Sunday or Monday night.” 🙂

A good friend of mine is a Giants fan so we’re planning on making a big deal for that one so naturally its our only Monday nighter.

Same here my brother-in-law is a big Giants fan and as soon as the schedule came out he texted me and said road trip. LOL

Imagine the scheduling commitee damn near has the entire schedule set when someone pounds the table saying NO NO NO this won’t work, Mrs OD will not tolerate this, start again boys…

We’re fucking 0-7 against the Texans. I didn’t think it was that many. That shit needs to stop.

38. You can thank Steve Ross for the lack of home games early; a few years back he asked the league to schedule early home games either at night or at 4. sure enough, our first home game is against the Bills and at 4:25 in week 3; our first 1 pm game is not until Oct. 18. No schedule is “easy” IMO.

39. Also, how do some say there are no cold weather games?

Week 8: 10/29 at Pats Thursday Night 8:15 PM
    Week 9: 11/8 at Bills 1 PM
    Week 10: 11/15 at Eagles 1 PM
    Week 12: 11/29 at Jets 1 PM

Last I checked it’s pretty freaking chilly in the northeast in late October and November.

LOL Gigi — you are a Florida girl. For the northern folks those a beach weather. 🙂

• Yes I am lol – just hoping there are no freakish winter storms in that time period! I have been getting used to cooler weather out here in Cali it is nice for a change. I’ll be at the San Diego game on Dec. 20th and hopefully the Bills or Texans game.

Hope is the Texans, cause that one sticks out as the likely Fest date. Bills is the home opener and a four o’clocker.

Yeah but not brutal. The real cold stuff starts in January. For instance this year it was February that was fucking brutal.

• jahndoh says:

Still she’s got a point, the whole month of novemember on the road in cold locales. It’s not brutal, but it’s virtually guaranteed one or two (or more) of those games will be near freezing temperatures.

Its probably going to be over 40 degrees in all those games

40. jahndoh says:

Gigi,
    Ross rescinded that request last year. He’s damned if he does damned if he doesn’t anyway. Some fans will complain about the heat if it’s a 1 o’clock and other will complain we lose the heat advantage if it’s later.

I thought so. I know people were complaining about the heat on the blogs last year. LOL

• I grew up going to games at the OB with the sub beating down on us at 1 pm and I would enjoy watching the other team gasping for air in the second half! I just miss having that big a home field advantage. There are many prima donnas in Miami though that can’t take being in that heat early in the season and I get his thinking. But honestly, nothing like watching a game in that humidity and heat but it’s all good. We gotta play in any conditions. A few years back we played the Jets at home on a Monday night early (I think Game 1) and they beat us and it was hot as hell (at night).

• jahndoh says:

I hear ya, and reluctantly I have to add that I think the reason the advantage isn’t what it was is that we have the indoor practice facility now. It’s nice when it’s raining, but I’d like to hear that other than that we are always practicing outside.

41. Al in MIA says:

Let’s go to London :). Can talk some people in the DolfanNYC group to go. The whole plane will be filled with Jets fans I presume lol.

42. Al in MIA says:

I hear ya on February. That was always the worst month of winter for me. I guess it’s when you realize how long it’s been cold and how close the spring months are but still no relief.

43. Al in MIA says:

Jahn,
    To be honest, the 1 oclock games are really bad for people like me.
    Nobody likes waking up at 7am to start their routine at least not most people in South Florida who are not old.

44. Al in MIA says:

Ben Volin retweeted
    Michele Steele ‏@ESPNMichele now2 minutes ago

Victim Odin Lloyd’s mother & lawyer holding a press conference in Boston at noon to discuss civil lawsuit against Hernandez

Jahn, November is usually pretty nice in the NE. It can get cold but it could also be in the 60s.

46. Al in MIA says:

Stanger,
    Nah, he enjoyed the game, except the final minute of the game like all of us LOL.

Fall weather in the North east is the best football weather. I miss fall more than the rest of the seasons since I moved to Fla.

• Al in MIA says:

Agree. Speaking of, saw my phone’s weather outlook for the rest of the week and saw 93 forecasted for Sunday/Monday ARG….Summer blast coming in a hurry.

48. Al in MIA says:

Rockphin,
    “Week 11: 11/22 Cowboys 1 PM”
    This will be front runner game of the year at SunLife.
    So many retarded Cowboys fans around down here.
    Would be a good one to go talk trash LOL.

Don’t forget we have a shot at at least one cold February game. Come on Suh take us to New Jersey!!!

50. Al in MIA says:

“Harbaugh tells Andrea Kremer that he met his wife, Sarah, at a restaurant. The stranger (at the time) was getting takeout. Harbaugh saw her, decided he wanted to meet her, approached her, and asked for her number.

Harbaugh called. And called. And called again. After nine tries, she called him back. And they later got married. ”

LOL

Son, I didn’t mean money grab in a bad way. Probably should have said now they sue him.

52. jahndoh says:

Tim, starting with New England in late october at night, the expected temp is in the 40s. I looked up averages before making that post. I know you live in the North East, and I agree that it’s not “brutal” or as bad as it can be, but there’s legitimacy to what Gigi said. On the road in the northeast the entire month of november is no cakewalk. It’s tough.

53. jahndoh says:

There goes my blogging time again! Cheers all!

I know I look insane but you’re going to marry me.

55. Al in MIA says:

Piggy,
    I’ve got problems.
    I’m obsessed with Kenny Bell highlights LOL

56. Al in MIA says:

LOL @ your Harbaugh pic.
    “MMMM TAKE OUT”.

57. Al in MIA says:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 27m27 minutes ago

Big group of draft visitors today in Miami. Add #Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon to the list of #Dolphins visitors today. Last day of visits

I like Gurley better but smart idea getting interested in backs make teams choose them sooner than later and let someone else slide to us.

Gurley getting clearance on his knee may have him closer to the top 10 now.

59. jetsssuck says:

jahndoh says:
    April 22, 2015 at 11:41 am

——————————————————————————————————————————
    It was actually cooler at the biscayne college open field practice fields as opposed to the practice facility in Davie now. The Davie facility is surrounded by building and 3-4 story parking lots and really has no open air flow. This yr may be even worse with the expansion of the 5story parking garage.

• Al in MIA says:

lol @ cooler. Yea, i mean technically you are probably right. Instead of feeling 100 on the heat index it felt like 98.

• jetsssuck says:

biscayne college was a open field with no building surrounding practice field. It is downright hot going to practices now. I’ve been to 4-5 before they were fully build with parking garages and college building and I’ll never go again if I was capable. The teams choice of practice location was a failure. Sunrise/Flamingo was a better choice instead of college campus.

• jetsssuck says:

136 ave and sunrise blvd correction

What about staying at 14 and getting Gurley then turnaround and trade for the 9ers 15 pick and take Perriman, what a turbo boost to the offense
    “Zoooooooooooooooooooom” as a certain pig would say

61. jetsssuck says:

New England in late october at night, the expected temp is in the 40s.
    ———————————————————–
    when I played HS sports in S.Florida it was always in the 70-90’s. The one year we traveled for state we played up north in Orlando and it was in the 40’s. I have to say most of the team loved the weather it was perfect playing weather. I don’t what cold temps would affect players maybe zero to 30 degrees?

• dbolt48 says:

It’s when you have thin air. High 30’s when you have moisture in the air is comfortable playing weather. Now if there’s a wind chill….that’s when it’s bad.

Does anyone know if Dion Jordan has reported yet?

63. dbolt48 says:

Al,
    Afro Thunder is a really good player. I wish he was a little better at RAC. Like a more athletic Hartline who catches on contact.

64. Al in MIA says:

Jetssuck,
    Makes no difference (any difference of significance) temperature wise whether practice is at St Thomas or Davie. Heat is heat, wind/shade doesn’t affect the air temperature. If you are hiding from the sun, yea it feels more pleasant i’m sure but its still the same temp/humidity in either place.

• jetsssuck says:

but having a breeze does help a lot as opposed to suffocating no breeze.
      ————
      wind/shade doesn’t affect the air temperature. —–Wind is created because of the sun. Temps are cooler under a tree but this is not to say biscayne practice fields was under trees they were in the middle of hundreds of trees.

65. Al in MIA says:

dbolt48 says:
    April 22, 2015 at 12:53 pm

——
    I have worked out extensively outdoors in both cold/warm climates.
    My issue with cold weather is the dryness of the air which is a mofo on your lungs lol.
    higher humidity helps more than whatever the raw temp is, at least that’s my personal experience.

66. Try Pod says:

Speaking of weather, it’s 54° @ 1pm here. It’s almost frickin’ May.

Dry cold air makes it very difficult to do physical things.

68. jetsssuck says:

I’ve been to the west coast several times particularly Fallon Nevada for extended periods of time and they always warned us about the highs of 120 and higher because of the dry atmosphere. It was pleasant because of the dry low humidity so much that I played tennis for several hours. It was nothing like S.Florida summer weather.

• Al in MIA says:

Sweat reminds you of how dehydrated you are becoming and when to rehydrate. In the dessert you don’t ‘feel’ it coming as quickly as your perspiration rapidly evaporates

• jetsssuck says:

i remember drinking myself straight and a friend (heavy drinker)of mine got sick from drinking to much.

69. Al in MIA says:

Try Pod,
    Yep. Janet Reno and her inability to understand foreign politics.

• Try Pod says:

That was definitely part of it, but the whole situation was poorly handled.

• Al in MIA says:

Agreed. I was in Miami at the time, grew up 1.5 miles west from where that took place. I remember CNN showing 2 commercial trash bins burning from locations that I knew were a few blocks apart in the same neighborhood and they played it off as “miami is rioting/burning” lol. SMH.

• jetsssuck says:

the uncles family was in the news about 9months ago because a 10 ft python killed his husky dog.

70. Al in MIA says:

Jetssuck,
    You can’t deport someone who’s country will not take them back (Cuba refuses to accept any).

71. jahndoh says:

“Eeeeeewwwww… the 40s, better wear a sweat shirt. LOL”

You’re right. Our team travels so well that they should definitely pack suntan lotion and beach chairs. Everyone knows it’s an easy transition from 80F and 85% humidity to freezing temps in the northeast. Do that every week for a month straight. No problem.

And it WILL be freezing for a couple of those games. Put your money where your mouth is or stifle the condescension.

Gigi’s post had legitimacy. Period.

• jahndoh says:

That read wrong. Meh, whatever. Not butthurt Tim, just trying to exchange sarcasm for sarcasm. 🙂

I really don’t care all that much about the weather discussion. I just wanted to have Gigi’s back that what she said had some legitimacy.

I don’t think we’re a poor cold weather team. I also don’t think we use the heat to our advantage that much anymore, so really, the weather isn’t a huge factor IMO.

New Poll on the side bar about proposed “Fest” days

Dolphins are favored by 2.5 points against the Redskins. How silly is it having point spreads in April?

• Al in MIA says:

People will bet on anything

I know, I just think it’s crazy to have point spreads this early, when many teams don’t even know who their starting QB is, amongst many other positions.

• Al in MIA says:

lol, but it is what it is. If people are willing to gamble this far in advance (take a side) then so be it, Vegas will create odds to get the action going.

75. Al in MIA says:

Forget anything in late Nov or entire Dec into New Year as that is expensive travel time to Miami.

76. Al in MIA says:

I say the Texans game. The curse must be lifted in our presence LOL.

77. jetsssuck says:

does anyone believe this guy.A HS dropout, kicked out of military, given job as security guard at nsa and given top secret clearance then promoted to work inside nsa headquarters because he knew a little programming that can be learned in less than 30 days. He now seems to know everything about security and he is in front of news outlets every couple of weeks. I have friends that have phd’s in computer science and they have limited access to classified info and this guy has top secret. Its seems like a reverse spy ploy. Is he staying in front of the news to keep alive?

Lots of trading in this draft, both up and back . . .

Your score is: 6924 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 21 (CINN): Jake Fisher, OT/OG, Oregon (B)
    Round 2 Pick 10 (ATL): Breshad Perriman, WR, UCF (A)
    Round 2 Pick 27 (DEN): Grady Jarrett, DT, Clemson (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 21 (CINN): Denzel Perryman, ILB/OLB, Miami (Fla.) (A)
    Round 3 Pick 28 (DEN): Adrian Amos, FS, Penn State (B+)
    Round 5 Pick 7 (DEN): David Cobb, RB, Minnesota (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 13: MyCole Pruitt, TE, Southern Illinois (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Lorenzo Doss, CB, Tulane (B+)

79. jetsssuck says:

how many draft contests are you guys entering. lots of free ones several years back when i use to play

I haven’t entered any jetssuck. I’m more concerned about our draft, not the whole draft in its entirety.

• jetsssuck says:

they had draft contests for individual teams back when I played them in fact the dolphins had free contests also.

• jetsssuck says:

was that jeff dellenbach? remember how he used to play with bad knees he used to coach hs football american heritage.

82. jetsssuck says:

here’s a nasty snake.A friend was bitten by one of these snakes because he tormented it in the everglades. It swam across the canal and jumped into airboat.

Take that La’el Collins

Son — Jeff Linkenbach sounds like a compete guy. Sorta a maybe maybe not. At the same time sounds like we could go in with him Turner and Thomas (and maybe a cap cut). Don’t have to go G in the first two rounds……..which probably gets us back to your diss of La’el, or was that Mike E?

No diss from me, I think Collins is a bad-ass but I’m a ball watcher I guess.
      I’m greedy, now I want Gurley at 14 and Perriman at 15 with a trade up. Going from 47 to 15 only takes 630 points or next years first and we get two starting first rounders this year.

LOL — you are the reason that some of the other guys end up with six 2nd round picks.

This draft isn’t like last year, that was a fluke, in that there is quality almost all the way through and even as we saw in the undrafteds. This draft has it’s quality at the top and in my opinion falls off a cliff especially after the second round.

86. jetsssuck says:

hey stranger —here is a stock I’m considering buying .Hugoton Royalty Trust NYSE: HGT
    It hit it’s low several days now and according to jaywalker and several others they all have predictions of what they should do.hold,avoid,sell,buy. It has a beta of 1.0 which I have never seen exactly a 1.0 what do you make of this. The S&P hasn’t been as volatile.could it be they haven’t updated the beta?

Beta

The measure of a security’s volatility in relation to the S&P 500. Beta less than 1 means the security’s price or NAV has been less volatile than the market. Beta greater than 1 means the security’s price or NAV has been more volatile than the market.

I don’t even know what a lot of that means JS, but good luck with it. Like I told you I just pop money into indexed market funds and see what happens. And all I have to know is that the S&P was up half a point today and that that is good. 🙂

Word out of Davie is that new Ross right hand man Tannenbaum has declared that injuries are not an option this season. According to Tannenbaum, “we gonna win this bitch”.

Those are son sources so take that for what its worth.

Linkenbach has started 16 total games the last 3 years. He’s a depth guy. Don’t say goodbye to La’el so fast there people. If not La’el, we could be looking at Jake Fisher.

Two. Count ’em, TWO WR’s!

Your score is: 6596 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
    Round 2 Pick 3 (OAK): Cameron Erving, OT/C, Florida State (A)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Missouri (A)
    Round 2 Pick 21 (CINN): Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn (B)
    Round 3 Pick 4 (OAK): Denzel Perryman, ILB/OLB, Miami (Fla.) (B)
    Round 3 Pick 21 (CINN): Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon (B)
    Round 4 Pick 3 (OAK): Derron Smith, FS, Fresno State (A)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Davis Tull, OLB, Chattanooga (A)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Nick O’Leary, TE, Florida State (A-)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Charles Gaines, CB, Louisville (A-)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Karlos Williams, RB, Florida State (A)

If some of you were drafting a band and Clapton was on the board you’d take a bass player

O-line is an attitude, continuity and scheme but mostly imposing your will. Suh will see that we do that, he will infect the entire locker room. Fear not big ugly lovers we have to put points on the board.

…and phooey to Tannehill can’t hit receivers while on his back.
      Quit holding the f’n ball so friggin long. Or hopefully chuck it up to your new big man.

• Try Pod says:

I’m all in on Suh, like I said I would be. But the big man has to show me how he deals with the heat and humidity in SoFlo. He might not play a lot of games in it, but he’ll be practicing in it, and that shit will eat you up when you are not used to it.

He’s still a pro athlete and treats his body properly and diets right and so forth, mostly its about hydration. I think he’ll be fine. It’s hot as balls in most places in the country when camps roll around.

“Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy received a 10-game suspension without pay from the NFL for his involvement in a domestic violence case.”

He’s appealing, but if that holds the last game he’ll be suspended for will be against the Phins.

Mike E, your Mock above is a failure! You did not take Tyler Fucking Varga…

YOUR TEAM
    MIAMI DOLPHINS
    YOUR PICKS
    1: R1P14 WR DEVANTE PARKER LOUISVILLE
    2: R2P15 ILB BENARDRICK MCKINNEY MISSISSIPPI STATE
    3: R4P15 G JOSUE MATIAS FLORIDA STATE
    4: R5P13 CB CHARLES GAINES LOUISVILLE
    5: R5P14 FB TYLER VARGA YALE
    6: R6P15 S CHRIS HACKETT TCU

I wish we had more draft picks!

95. naplesfan2010 says:

Rock that is an excellent draft there buddy

96. jetsssuck says:

are we going to block the arms shipment or are we providing safe passage for the weapons? White House can’t decide one day from another….

Lol, and so true:

GM Steve Keim on weighing off-field issues for prospects: “If Hannibal Lecter ran a 4.3, we’d probably diagnose it as an eating disorder.”

son of a son of a shula says:

April 22, 2015 at 4:22 pm

…and phooey to Tannehill can’t hit receivers while on his back.
    ————————————————————–

He needs to have an outlet, leave in on every play a back or TE to block, after they count to 3 release the block and get into an open space, if RT can’t find someone open hit the outlet. Little tommy says you have to try to get positive yrds on every play, I agree. The cheats always have an outlet.

Steve – That’s great bud. Very funny!

100. dcoralsprings says:

I understand all these early road games
    Were by request
    More time to fully prep the stadium

101. dcoralsprings says:

I’m up in 13’s neck of the woods
    And 55 degrees is cold
    Left S FL at freakin 90 lol

Gigi, you make 3, Phindog and I are in for the SD game.

We just signed Greg Jennings too

I just read we signed Jennings! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Rook to King Sonny! Checkmate!

La’el Collins, come on down! LOL

Good signing in Jennings. That really takes the pressure off needing a WR at 14. You guys hoping for an OL just at get your wish…

Yeah, that doesn’t mean we won’t take a WR in the 1st, but if we can’t move back, and there’s no one we like there, we shouldn’t have to.

Sonny – That’s possible too. Actually, anything is still possible, but Jennings gives us nice depth at WR.

Florio is reporting Jennings was signed to a two-year $8 million deal. Even if that is straight up it won’t break the bank. The draft is wide open.

Ditto on Gurley Son.

Its Trae waynes

Out mock was right!!!

Could be. Also hoping how opening we are means other GMs are guessing as well…….yeah thinking trade down as always.

We really could go in any direction. We have signed a bunch of corners for depth, and hopefully a possible starter emerges from that group. We have signed some OL for depth as well, traded for Stills and now signed Jennings. It’s anyone’s guess who we are picking at this point. I like how the FO is covering their bases so we aren’t necessarily forced to pick a certain position.

111. dcoralsprings says:

Great to have a vet in that room
    By no means is WR out in the first
    Covering bases, smart

Phindog,Miss Gigi and Steve at the Fins-San Diego game?? –The Bolts are gonna need more than Marcus Mariota to beat our Fins in Jack Murphy. er, Qualcomm Stadium!! –Can you say “The Dolphins deliver a royal ass-kicking in San Diego??”
    ——-
    GIGI; It’s GREAT to see you and your man doing well in California!!!! – – Me and Mrs. OD will try to hook up with you guys when you come to Florida for a game!! –Best of luck to both of you!!
    ——
    PS:–I’m going to south Fla this weekend to celebrate my brother-in-law Jim’s birthday. –The big party will be at Pompano Pizza with Jim, my sis, and maybe a few of “My Boyz” in attendance. –This is the same JIM who has only missed 3 Dolphin home games IN THEIR ENTIRE HISTORY GOING BACK TO 1966!!

Give Jim a huge happy BDay for me.

You check out the schedule? Screwy. Three games at Sunlife in the first eleven weeks of the NFL season.

113. dcoralsprings says:

Trade up for a stud
    Or truly BPA at 14
    Let’s go play ball

Or trade down DC. All our options are in play. Only thing we really need is another LB…..and maybe not even that.

YOUNG STANGER; Roger that big hug for Jim. –Ya, it IS a screwy schedule!!–Obviously the BIGGEST game in September is the home game against the Buffalo Chips. We need to send those toe-suckers a clear and unmistakable message that day. –Gotta slightly disagree with you about :the only thing we really need ia another LB.” –I say our #1 need is TWO quality O-Linemen in the first 4 picks. THAT is our biggest need IMHO. the other two picks should focus on an LB and a DB. -NO DOUBT most on this board disagree, wanting a splashy WR and.or the Gurley man.

That is unreal.

You ever meet him and bring it up, you are in for a long conversation about why he each one. Reasons like kid’s wedding and major surgery are involved. Think he wishes he had had the Perfect Fan Career. Great guy btw.

Jahn, I’ve never thought of late Oct. and Nov. as a cold weather games. Every year most teams have to play some games on the road in that time a year in colder states. Those just aren’t brutal months. I bet most of the team doesn’t even wear long sleeves. LOL

Cool on signing Jennings. That changes things a bit at WR as far as at the top of the draft.

BRIAN: Me and “MY BOYZ” truly are hard core. –Come down to the Fest and I’ll regale you with some hair raising things we did when we were very young and, perhaps, a bit over the top.

118. dbolt48 says:

The Jennings signing essentially frees Miamis hand for BPA. Also Allows them to invest in a Dez Lewis or Chris Conley a little later to develop. Both players have #1 WR ability.

Brian, I agree signing Jennings opens up our options in the draft. Not that he’s a star in his prime and he will change our long-term view, but WR at the top is not really a NEED now because he can still play. Maybe we look at WR in the 2nd or 4th round now.

120. OD: Thank you so much we are very happy here!! Give my best to Jim and your family, I remember being there with you at Pompano Pizza – good times!! Most definitely I will see you when we are down in Miami for a game! Miss you!

All the best to Jim from Son OD.
    My B-day wish for him is one more Super Bowl to enjoy.

I like the Jennings signing.
    I don’t like the Jennings signing.

I’m torn a little. I like that he’s a solid vet.
    I want young and hungry players though.

I like that he frees up the perception of who we may draft.
    I don’t care what other teams think, get the best player you can damn the position.

Is he an instant progress stopper?
    We still don’t have a big, or a guy who would be a “go to” guy where Hartline was.
    A “just chuck it up” guy.

Gurley makes sense to me. I don’t want Gordon @ 14.

He’s a pro who will help keep the chains moving and make a big play here and there. He should be a good influence for the younger WRs as well.

So we signed OL Jeff Linkenbach and Jacques McClendon who are both considered versatile OL to compete in TC. Cool!

124. Rhino says:

I, like many here, posted a quite a few weeks ago that Hickey is gonna fill out the roster BEFORE the draft … gambling on a rookie to handle a key position (vs being a bust) is too much of a gamble. BPA… although the LB and OL pickups are not as strong as WR Jennings. Good signing!!!

Paysinger is a STs guy who has some starting experience. The same with Sheppard who was with us last year. They have hung around as pros and have played a good amount of football in the NFL. They’re just not top notch LBs. But in a pinch they can play.

That said, this is not a top notch draft for 4-3 LBs. Some of them may pan out to be solid but I’m not sure any of them are stars in the making. We’ll see.

WOW, so my thoughts were right on Jennings…I knew he was shopping the market halfheartedly until the Phins raised their offer a tad.

The big thing is he knows Joe & Joe knows him, they spent 6 seasons together.
    But Jennings is declining some, will be 32 soon. We still have to think WR in the draft.
    But agreed, his signing takes pressure off of needing a 1st round receiver, especially trading ‘UP’ for Cooper or White.

I still think a trade ‘DOWN’ could be in store with the Eagles or another team like the Saints.

Welcome Greg Jennings!

naplesfan2010 says:
    April 22, 2015 at 7:48 pm (Edit)
    How can we get 2 first round picks in a row?

To go from 47 to 15 is only 630 points or next years first.

You still get two firsts and it should be a much lower first at 15 than we should expect to have next year and we still get 2 picks this year but instead of first and second round they are both first rounders and start now.

• naplesfan2010 says:

I’m in, but … why would San Fran trade with us that way?

I dunno, cause we asked nicely lol. They’re fucked anyway so maybe the extra pick next year would be more beneficial to them.

Son, if the franchise is trying to win now, then I’m not so sure about Gurley. Miller was dependable and a 1000 yard runner last season on a 15 carry avg, behind a mish mash OL.

• naplesfan2010 says:

What if we went to 28 rushes per game and the other half were by Gurley?

• Brian in NY says:

Ok. Well how about Gurley at 14 and DGB at 47?

Miller was slated to be the guy who spelled Moreno. Gurley is an f’n beast.

I just hope Gurley doesn’t go the route of Steven Jackson, who he reminds me of, and who was always getting banged up with his running style. Being on the grass will help Gurley though.

Anywho, if we are to get Gurley, it may require a trade up.

Yeah, he has shot up as of late.

Brian, I like that…a guy like Gurley keeps safeties cheating towards the box, freeing up a big WR like DGB. 🙂

129. naplesfan2010 says:

or Gurley at 14 and Kenny Bell at 150 and Darren Waller at 114 and Blake Bell at 149. Throw in AJ Cann at 47 and Jeff Luc @ 191 and we are in the AFC championship.

Now that we signed Jennings and we don’t have to sign a WR at #14 I predict we sign a WR at #14 😛

I’ve thought this since the end of the season that changes would happen. This team seems to be gearing up to try and win as many games as they can and not keep looking at it like in a year or two. Jennings helps us play this year.

So does Freeman?

I wonder what Jennings thinks of Freeman 😉

Jennings says “good I have my bitch to carry shit in from my car”

I think Moore is the #2 but Freeman pushes him and tries to reestablish his career and could be a trade option if he has a good TC and PS. Or… we want another guy who has had some success inactive but could possibly play if something happened to Tannehill.

Freeman won’t make the team, but he’ll be traded to another team, if he has a good preseason, else he’ll be our insurance during the season, if RT is out a few weeks. Meaning he’ll be called back to the team if RT goes down, having already learned the system.

I think the “cold weather game” theory is WAY overrated. We are not nearly as bad in the cold as some may think. IMO, some are confusing our mediocre December record somehow with the away gmaes in the cold. Here is our December record since the Tannehill era began:
    December 2014: December 2013 December 2012
    @ NYJ- W @NYJ- W NE- L
    BAL- L @PITT- W @49ers- L
    @NE- L NE- W JAX- W
    MINN- W @BUFF-L BUFF- W
    NYJ-L NYJ-L @NE- L
    Away 1-1/ Home 1-2 Away 2-1/ Home 1-1 Away 0-2/ Home 2-1
    In the past three seasons, we have had a total of 7 home games, with 6 being in cold weather- we went 3-3 in those games.
    In the past three seasons, we have had a total of 8 home games – we went 4-4 in those games.

This is the end result of the deal with Vikings.

Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley
    Not sure who tweeted this first, but it’s worth borrowing: In the end, Dolphins traded Wallace and a 7th for Jennings, a 5th & cap space.

Slick, but that sounds good when you say it fast. We also gave up a 3rd for Wallace’s possible replacement.

Not bad, a 3rd rounder for a WR that is still in his rookie contract and already Producing nice results.

Right but Beasley makes it sound like Jennings will come in and replace Wallace and they are totally different in what they do for you.

What does he mean worth borrowing, we all already knew this, we didn’t need the putz to write it.

LMAO @ Son’s explanation of why the Niners would trade with us

135. naplesfan2010 says:

Hey Pig Sir…can we get a poll going about who we think the FO will pick at 14 ( and maybe 47?)
    Not who we want or who would be best, but who we actually think THEY will pick. Even if it is just the position.

We can do that, Piggy is the resident Poll master so when he shows up we’ll ask him to get it going.

The Niners actually ARE fucked. That doesn’t mean they would do that, but I’m not sure we’d have to trade up that far anyway. I have a feeling Perriman goes between 20 and 35.

137. naplesfan2010 says:

OL, WR, CB, RB, LB … [in that order?]
    I think those are the only viable choices with FS a long shot.

138. naplesfan2010 says:

The 9ers are in full on catastrophe mode. They are in need of start right away LB and WR just to get back out of dire straits.

Jennings, at this point, is Hartline but without the incessant falling down.

140. naplesfan2010 says:

Hey whoever posted that godam Kenny Bell link above messed me up. Now I want him for KR and deep-ball wideout. He fights for every catch and launches and contorts himself to go get the ball.

I know a lot of fans want a big WR and I would like that too but I have to say I like Dorsett in this offense at #47. His explosiveness in 3-4 WR sets could be deadly.

Landry, Stills, Jennings and Dorsett could be a problem for opponents with Matthews in the mix too. Then we have Miller/Williams and Cameron/Sims. Could be a good offense if the OL gets it going.

Son

I gotcha man. La’el is definitely a badass. He would be good on that line, whether it was on the outside or inside.

143. jahndoh says:

Holy fuckin’ christ. You guys and weather. Was just defending Gigi a bit. We spend almost the entire month of November in the Northeast. Weather aside geniuses, since when is that an advantageous stretch of football.

Gigi, you better go to bat for me!

BTW, I have faced sub zero temps and negative 40 windchills in waist deep snow at 11,000′ in a place where you couldn’t even see a manmade building. You guys probably get shriveled balls walking to toilet at night to relieve your prostate shrunken bladders.

😛

Fuck off!

LMAO

• naplesfan2010 says:

Jahndoh says:

LOL

Gigi is a warm weather gal. She didn’t need any defense. I was just stating my opinion on it. The Dolphins have been in the AFC East forever with 3 NE teams. It’s not that big a deal. I think it’s tougher to play in SF in the heat for our opponents than it is for us to play at their place in the 30s-50s.

Jahn, we beat the Steelers in PIT a couple of years ago in the snow. That said we’ll probably get a polar vortex and it will be -20 for those games. LOL

• jahndoh says:

Would you shut up! LMAO…Holy shit. If Pickleboy wasn’t so catchy I’d start calling you weathergirl. 😛

144. naplesfan2010 says:

I would hate to be in a defensive backfield looking at Jennings, Landry, Stills, and Cameron just by themselves.

145. jahndoh says:

Also, I said this yesterday, guess it was missed. I will also be attending that SD game. We have a legit WC Fest in the making. I will bring beer and full tailgating stuff.

Awesome. Get Kong involved too. Remember DrG will most likely go as well.

• jahndoh says:

Oh good call on DRG and Kong. Would be an awesome turnout. Manitoba has been known to come to a WC game too….

We’ll need full tailgating with that mess of a stadium, better to wait it out then try to get out. Last time I went was a preseason game in the Jimmy era, we were kicking their asses so their fans left early, but reg. season…

• jahndoh says:

I don’t mind being the guy who has to wait it out. I’ll get there early and stay late. You guys can park wherever you need to and walk over to my car.

Remember, the Niners pick at 46 has the potential to screw us big time. Their three biggest needs are LB, WR and DL.

Tim, I do like the bigs but I agree about Dorsett I think he’ll be awesome in the NFL. I’d love to have him.

148. jahndoh says:

Son,

I’m definitely warming up to the idea of Gurley.

GDP, don’t know if you saw this about him, but he recently passed a combine Dr. recheck with flying colors. NFL Sirius said he’s on pace to be 100% by camp. His surgery was the simplest of all ACL surgeries because it was a clean tear with no surrounding damage. His Dr said he hasn’t even had any swelling and he’s running already. Take it for what it is, a report, but the combine Drs did the physical, so it’s not just his own camp who’s touting his readiness.

If he goes the way of Stephen Jackson, we’ll have a complete stud running back for years before his body starts breaking down. If he goes the way of another RB who folks worried about his running style (AP) He’ll be in the running for the HOF. 😉

149. jahndoh says:

Son, I didn’t look at the chart, did you discount the 2016 first rounder in your Perriman trade scenario? The general rule is one round discount per year in the future.

No I didn’t it costs 630 points which is equivalent to a late first rounder so may it may cost more.

Jahn, when I called you Jahn from So Cal I forgot about how much skiing and snow boarding you do shit you’re in cold weather quite a bit.

Really like Jennings the human being from what I’ve seen with his time here. I actually heard him and his wife on local radio here on this week. His wife actually said they were talking to warm weather teams. And they both seem like quality people. Really good signing because we need some veteran leadership. Landry and Stills are still young pups…and I don’t care how mature or professional Landry seems….there’s still plenty he(and Stills) can learn from a vet like Jennings about how to go about the game and the offseason. Good signing, and I think Jennings can still be productive too.

152. naplesfan2010 says:

I agree Jahn. I would have loved to have Stephen Jackson in his prime.
    I watched Gurley singlehandedly beat Clemson whose D was ranked in the top five college defenses. He can put that thing in Beast Mode and take over a game.
    He reminds me of Eric Dickerson, also a back I would have loved on my team.

Did you see that folks?
      An Eric Dickerson comparison. That’s high praise and on the mark.

• jahndoh says:

LT called him the best RB prospect to come out since AP. Also high praise from an all-time great. That’s part of what got me thinking about the possibility. If we had a player that dominant at RB it’d go a long way toward getting those DEs to slow up a step on 2nd and 5, 3rd and 3 situations.

We’re bringing in WRs who can run all the routes. Get another in the draft.

Well SD game being Dec 20th kinda pooches us for that one… too close to xmas.. Will hook it up socal one of these times..

Yo Toba…..sounds like time for another FL Fest trip then. And yeah, I know that is a shot in the dark as far away as you live.

LOL @ Jahn! I figured your Hartline alarm would go off, and you’d be here quickly! 🙂

156. naplesfan2010 says:

Brian you are correct. Can’t believe I forgot Carlos Hyde since he went to high school down here in the neighborhood next to mine.

The schedule on the sidebar looks pretty awesome doesn’t it?

Dorsett was fast before his pro day, and so was Perriman for that matter. Dorsett ran a sub 4.40 at the combine, he ran a sub 4.35 at his pro day. Perriman didn’t run at the combine. His pro day was, for all intents and purposes, his combine.

Naples

Or anyone else

Any suggestions on how many players should be options

Is the poll “who do you want the dolphins to pick at 14?” Or who do you think they should pick?”

Who would we have as options?

• Brian in NY says:

Maybe do both : who we want AND who we think.

• naplesfan2010 says:

I think we have all thrown up mocks or let on who we would favor. I think it would be fun to say who THEY the FO is picking. I think you could list say 8 guys and it would be fair (maybe incl. “other” )

Steve ,
    Wallace didn’t just complain when the ball wasn’t thrown his way, he complained when the ball wasn’t thrown his way when we scored a TD.

• jahndoh says:

^like

• naplesfan2010 says:

That’s what tore it for me. He was truly selfish. He wanted all the TD throws his way. I think he also resented being used to work the ball down the field. He wants to catch the ball without deviating from his straightline sprint, and score the TD untouched.

The Dolphins ready to play in November. LOL

I wonder if Shelton drops if we’d consider him.

Randy says:
    April 22, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Good signing, and I think Jennings can still be productive too

yeah, now if they will just get a decent qb to throw to them they are all set.

Jahn: i am doing some exploring at the moment… always trying to make 2 game for 1 trip… Gotta see what happens with the Fest date, but i am now looking at logistics of fly to Miami for Texans, catch a flight to Baaaston for the Thursday Pats home game, and home from there..as our travel partners are Pats and Atl fans.. all in prelim mode… We Will be at a game SOMEWHERE this year as usghe…

Jahn, yes I know about Gurley’s check up. Good stuff from Dr. Andrews, he does amazing work usually.

Bri

That’s an interesting scenario. I think if Shelton does fall, he’d be a great player to give us the opportunity to trade back if we wanted to. If we do take him, I think he might have trouble unseating Earl Mitchell right off the bat.

If our goal is to be stout on defense and have an efficient ball control offense then I get drafting Gurley to pair him with Miller. If we run 22-24 times PG then what’s the point?

I too like the Jennings signing.. love the way we are getting set for BPA at many positions…

Piggs if you were our MLB you’d have to have “Grade A” as your number instead of an actual number.

170. naplesfan2010 says:

Tim … last year we were 12th in the league at 65 offensive plays per game (Philly was first with 70.) If we go 50/50 then that is 32 run plays. If Miller and Gurley each run 15, they are both fresh late or we run Miller early and Gurley late when his power will be against tired legs or we run Gurley early and Miller late when his speed will be against tired legs. (Game Plan???)
    Then maybe our rushing game won’t run out of gas in our last 2-3 games of the year (in January).

Naples, I don’t see us drafting 2 WR’s now. Just one, unless we get a few more picks via trade down.

We essentially already picked a WR in the 3rd round with Kenny Stills, so that’s 1. We need just 1 more to develop behind Jennings, rotate in as well. I’d love for that to be a Big Possession type WR.

• naplesfan2010 says:

I agree totally about needin a BIG, BUT our WR corps is the most depleted position group that we have. We lost 11 of our top 15 receivers from last year. We actually need WRs more than any other position because of that and because we throw a lot and we want to run multiple WR sets a lot.

I love how some are picturing how we would use Gurley in this offense…

Son: I was more asking what was with the UCF/Tulane game ?? was it to be a prt of my two for one ?? if so what is the other half ?? or maybe i am just on chemtrails…

No I was just throwing it out there for shits and grins.

• manitobafinfan says:

LOL, Alrighty then… Continued good job by the FO in this Off Season, So far i give them a Large Passing Grade.. Cant wait to see what presents are under tree next week.. Off to cheer the Jets… Have a great one Peeps… GO PHINS !!!! GO JETS !!!!

• jahndoh says:

You had better tell us which Jets Toba..thems fightin’ words!!!! 🙂

• manitobafinfan says:

Winnipeg Jets tonight vs yer So Cal Ducks !! Don’t start fighting now.. you have been so happy and agreeable tonight … 🙂

Legares justice and unbelievable catch. Need to get those bats going Mets.

175. jahndoh says:

I don’t see Gurley as a threat to Lamar Miller. I think that’d be the best 1-2 tandem we’ve had since Ricky/Ronnie, and probably better. It’d extend careers of both guys and keep them both in good health for stretch (dare I say? Playoff) runs.

Anybody who likes Marvel comics stuff should check out the Daredevil series on Netflix. Nothing Earth-shattering, but it’s good. I loved daredevil as a kid.

I just thought of this.
    Landry = McDuffie
    Stills = a young Jennings (same size and speed when young)
    Matthews = James Jones
    Dorsett = Cobb

We don’t have a Jordy Nelson who excels on deep crossing routes and taking them to the house like Rice and Taylor did with the 49ers. But we should be able to move the ball and be explosive with that lineup.

178. jahndoh says:

Ooh Toba, now we HAVE to fight. I’m a diehard Sharks fan. The only team I hate more then the Yucks is the LA Queens!!!!

• manitobafinfan says:

LOL, my Pats fan buddy is a Sharks fan.. that was another game we were hoping for on the Westcoast trip… but alas damn 12/20 aint gonna happen my friend..
      K, Now i am really out.. 🙂

toba,
    Thanks, I’m just setting down to enjoy the game, the wild are looking good…big game. Good luck to your team too.

Toba, go Jets (hockey). LOL

I have no idea what direction the Flyers are going in so I hope you enjoy the playoff as well as all of you who still have teams in it.

LETS GO METS!!!! 10 in a row baby!

The Amazins!! LOL

12-3 for the 2nd time in history. It’s all about pitching. Makes everyone’s job easier. The Mets have really good pitching – 64-42 +22. Same as football. 4.3 to 2.8 ratio is winning type stuff. Go Phins!!! 😉

182. jahndoh says:

I have to say, the rape allegations are what they are. I don’t know how to handicap them (in terms of his status as a prospect, I hate to make light of such a serious allegation, but nothing was proven and no judgments went against Winston), so I don’t consider them.

What I have a really hard time getting past is the crableg-gate (thanks, came up with that one myself. :-)). It goes to judgement. It’s horrible judgement. To compound it by lying and claiming they were given to him only to have the market speak up and refute that, well, I don’t know what that says.

I said and have taken a fair amount of heat for saying I’d take Marriota first overall if I were the bucks, but Jaworski last week said his sources told him Marriota is going to be the pick at 1 and not Winston. We’ll see what happens on draft day, but it’s undeniable, Marriota’s stock literally HAS risen during this draft season and I’ll be shocked if he makes it out of the top 5.

Congrats Mets fans. Enjoy it, but remember, it’s a long season.

I’m so not into the QB sweepstakes that I don’t care. But if their is guilt with Winston I don’t want to see him get away with it because of his status.

In my selfish fandom, I want both to go before we draft. 😉

Sheesh

Who is hanging the Golden State banners on this blog!

Yuk