FOLLOWING PERFECTION: THE 1973 MIAMI DOLPHINS

By: Randy Campbell (Old Dolfan)

SI Cover

GAME 1: San Francisco @ Miami, Sept. 16, 1973

The 1972 Miami Dolphins did what no other NFL team had ever done before AND what no other NFL team has done since. They ran the table. They were perfect. They were 17 and 0! It WAS and IS considered the greatest achievement by any team in the storied history of the National Football League.

What to do for an encore? The concept of back-to-back perfect seasons seemed totally out of reach, even for this team. But some fans (including your author) wondered aloud “Could the ’73 Dolphins be as good, or BETTER, than last year’s team?

Some veteran NFL experts claimed the ’72 Dolphins were incredibly lucky. Others said they played a weak schedule. Still others pointed out Miami’s narrow margins of victory in games 15, 16 and 17 proved they were NOT a dominant team. While I disagreed with all of these criticisms, I did agree with the old saying which says “there’s always room for improvement.”

Improvement? On perfection? You’ve got to be kidding me!! Fact is,I really thought this imagesteam could get even BETTER. Young quarterback Bob Griese missed most of the ’72 regular season with a broken ankle. When he returned, he sometimes showed signs of rust. I was convinced that if Griese stayed healthy throughout 1973 the offense, ranked #1 in ’72, could get EVEN BETTER!!

The Dolphins defense suffered a rash of injuries during the 6-game 1972 exhibition season. This necessitated the creation of the 53 defense wherein Miami could change from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense frequently during the game. I believed a couple less injuries in 1973 would propel this defense to a historically GREAT season. (In fact, Miami’s 1973 defense gave up only 150 points — 10.7 points per game — during the 14 game regular season, an ALL-TIME NFL RECORD!!)

First up for the Dolphins as they prepared to defend their Super Bowl Championship was the San Francisco 49ers. The 49ers first entered pro football as a founding member of the All-America Football Conference in 1946. During the four year history of that league the Niners established themselves as the league’s second best franchise behind the perennial champs, the Cleveland Browns. in 1950, when the AAFC disbanded, the Browns, the 49ers and the first team to be known as the Baltimore Colts (the former Miami Seahawks franchise) were invited to join the NFL. In the 1950 season, the Browns shocked the established teams by winning the NFL title. The 49ers struggled to a 3-9 record while the first Baltimore Colts team disbanded.  Winning seasons followed from 1951 through 1954 as the NFL’s first “Million Dollar Backfield,” 49ers QB Y. A. Tittle and Hall of Fame running backs Joe Perry and Hugh McElhenny paced a very productive offense. In 1960, innovative head coach Red Hickey invented the still used shotgun formation for the 49ers.

In the late 1970’s the 49er franchise was struggling. In 1979 they finished 2-14 under new owner Eddie DeBartolo, Jr., and new head coach Bill Walsh, a former offensive coordinator under Paul Brown in Cincinnati. In 1980, legendary quarterback Joe Montana replaced Steve DeBerg. Dwight Clark assumed the tight end position. Next season, defenders Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, Dwight Hicks and Fred Dean joined the defense. Other stars would follow. This franchise would go on to win FOUR Super Bowls in the decade, earning the moniker “Team of the ’80’s.” In 1994, paced by Hall of Famers Steve Young and Jerry Rice, the 49ers defeated San Diego to claim their 5th Super Bowl title.

In 1973, the Super Bowl was just a dream for 49er fans. But they did have hope. In 1970, 1971 and 1972 the Niners reached the playoffs. The 1972 team won the NFC West under the leadership of star QB John Brodie. But, for the third consecutive season, San Francisco was eliminated from the playoffs by the Dallas Cowboys. Nonetheless, San Francisco came into Miami as a highly regarded team that was expected to compete for the 1973 NFC title. Miami was only a 4-point favorite in this season opener.

ticketEvery single seat in the historic Orange Bowl was sold out for this game. But when I arrived at my seat I realized something was very, very, different. There were empty seats at this game! The league’s anti-blackout policy had just gone into effect. Games sold out more than 72 hours before kickoff (like this one) could be shown on local TV. So a handful of Dolfans chose to stay home and watch it on free TV.

Something far more troubling was different. The heat. It was unlike any game I had ever attended. The official temperature at kickoff (1 PM) was 86 degrees. But that was several miles away at the airport. There was NOT a breath of air coming off Biscayne Bay. I guessed it was AT LEAST 92-95 degrees between the walls of the huge stadium! And, down on the field covered by artificial grass, the temperature reached close to 120 degrees, according to Miami’s team physician, Dr. Herbert Virgin. I saw this as a medical catastrophe in the making, especially in the sun-baked stands where retirees in their 70’s and 80’s sat in the deadly open sun for 3-4 hours. Humidity readings near 100 per cent only made things worse.

Miami’s offense sputtered for nearly all of the first three quarters. Two Yepremian field Brodiegoals (one of 53 yards) produced Miami’s paltry six points heading into the final quarter. Meanwhile, San Francisco’s offense had some success early on. A Bruce Gossett field goal and a three yard touchdown run by Vic Washington gave the Niners a 10-6 halftime lead. But, early in the third quarter, star QB John Brodie staggered back to the huddle and COLLAPSED! “I felt like someone pulled the plug …. I couldn’t move,” said a dangerously dehydrated Brodie. Brodie was DONE! So were the 49ers! By early in the fourth quarter, about 7-8 starters had been removed from the game. “We died out there,” said Dolphin defender Manny Fernandez, “but NOT as fast as THEY DID!” Shula’s grueling summer conditioning program was the difference.

Back up QB Steve Spurrier replaced Brodie and spurriercompleted the drive that produced another Gossett field goal, putting San Francisco ahead 13-6. But, in the final moments of the third quarter, the Dolphins finally got their offense rolling. A 25-yard rumble by Larry Csonka was followed by several on-target passes by Bob Griese. Early in the fourth quarter Griese hit Paul Warfield with a 10-yard touchdown strike and the Dolphins finally had tied the game at 13-13. But, in the searing heat, many had already gone home!

On the next Dolphin series Garo Yepremian lined-up a 45 yard field goal. Everyone who could stand up was standing in silence. The kick was in the air – – – it was GOO-O-O-OD!! A roar from the Fin Faithful celebrated Miami taking a 16-13 lead!! But about six rows in front of me, an older fan tilted over to his left and collapsed on the seat next to him. Medics arrived with a stretcher. But they were too late. This poor fan had died on the spot!

The Dolphins dominated the last few minutes of the game, forcing a safety and adding Garo’s record breaking (at the time) 9th consecutive successful field goal during the regular season over a two-year span. Final score: Miami-21, Niners-13. Garo’s four field goals and Csonka’s 104 yards rushing grabbed the headlines. But, in truth, the biggest player of this game was the deadly heat. The Forty Niners’ flight home from Miami to San Francisco was detoured to Denver. Approximately a dozen players were taken off the flight and kept in Denver over night so they could be treated for dehydration and heat exhaustion. One report said a player had to have CPR to save his life. That report was denied by team officials.

John Brodie was never the same after this game. By mid-season, he was benched in favor of Steve Spurrier. Years later, while broadcasting a football game, Brodie admitted he could remember very little from the last half of that game in Miami.

The 1973 Miami Dolphins were now 1-0.

This entry was posted in Absolute Perfection and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

303 Responses to FOLLOWING PERFECTION: THE 1973 MIAMI DOLPHINS

Oink and First

Woot woot

Here we go again Dolphins
    1-0
    Nice write up OD!

2. Try Pod says:

Doldrums.

The calm before the plagiarism storm?

4. phindog says:

This would have been a better story if they opened the doors to the homeless and fed them. I don’t know who the writer is so I might get sued for .. You Know !!

I’m just a son of a son, son of a son, son of a son of a shula
    The fin’s in my veins, my tradition remains.
    I’m just glad I don’t live in a trailer.

Well done, OD.

That sucks that a fan died at this game.

18-0 since losing to the Cowboys in SBVI

Good stuff. It was all written by Adam Beasley. 😉

From Andy Cohen:

It’s got to start with the finish.

This has been one of the most important themes of the Miami Dolphins all offseason. You can talk all you want about X’s and O’s, about position battles, about major free agent signings and about a draft class that offers real promise.

But until the Dolphins learn how to finish, unless they figure out how to seize the fourth quarter of games and, to a similar extent, the final month of a season, all the other things don’t have as much significance.

Link shown to not be accused of – well you know

I agree and I know the team has put a lot of research into how they can accomplish that from conditioning to analytics. It’s another reason they’re working so much on red zone. When you get down there you have to get the TD.

On the day Ryan Tannehill signed his huge contract extension, he was asked where the biggest improvement on this team was needed. He didn’t hesitate in answering.

“We need to finish games better,” he said. “We need to finish the season better.”

You got that right. Its the power of will.
    Not will we win but we will win.

I don’t know much about DT C.J. Mosely as a player other than I know he exists lol. But I read up on him and his greatest asset is as a run defender. He doesn’t give you much pass rush, 4 sacks in 10 seasons. So we’re looking to become as stout up front as possible and make the rotation deeper. If he helps us great!

He seems to me like what they said they wanted to avoid and that’s a progress stopper. Didn’t we draft Phillips as primarily a run defender, we have the 2 Johnson’s who both looked pretty good last year and Francis who also has shown some good stuff. Not to mention Mitchell who we all expect to be a starter.

I hear ya but if they offered him a deal that should tell us something about some of the other younger guys. I don’t think Mosely effects Mitchell or Phillips, but the two Johnson’s, Francis, Coleman and McCarthy might have to really up their game. Who knows, it could be to up the competition in camp with another vet and if the young guys hold their ground and prove to be as good they could cut Mosely. I doubt his contract would be anything major.

Plagiarism??? I guess I’m just shocked that anyone reads the articles at all.

Well done once again OD! GO DOLPHINS!

Thomas‏@nashmax73
    Found out Titans WR Coach Shawn Jefferson is same guy Zach Thomas knocked-out cold in his rookie debut: https://youtu.be/i_BiIVvt_DM

Tim, those stej linebackers are getting old. Pace went there when Parcells started here and David Harris has to be close to the end of the line by now.

Agreed and Coples isn’t that good. Davis is a good young LB. They do have huge guys on the DL and a lot of depth. Revis will be 30 when the season starts and Cromartie 31 so they’re getting up there too.

Plus Ferguson, Mangold and Colon are all in their 10th year on the o-line.

16. Rhino says:

Believe it or not, I enjoyed the 1973 season more the ’72… my friends said 72 was a fluke… 🙂

17. Rhino says:

DT CJ Mosely offered a contract by Dolphins…. I guess we plan on ‘converting’ one of these DT’s to OG. lol

Wonderful write OD, but have to laugh at this:

“Improvement? On perfection? You’ve got to be kidding me!! Fact is,I really thought this team could get even BETTER.”

You were pushing the bar even as a young guy. 🙂

And what’s this problem with plagiarism? Part of why I love this place…….all interesting stuff shows up. I’m probably one of the chief copyright violaters. If I haven’t seen on it here and find it interesting, pop it out and figure I’m doing a public service. Try to put it quotes, but not always.

Son, what I meant about our depth chart being incomplete was that ESPN lists like 3 and 4 teams deep at positions for the Jets and we get two for each.

Does anyone know where the other LBs are playing other than Jenkins weak side, Misi middle and McCain and Paysinger strong?

Sheppard’s been reps behind Misi and I think Tripp is backing up Jenkins as well as getting reps at MLB also.

Stanger, this isn’t a publishing house. LOL

Sounds like AJ Francis ain’t going to go Ochocinco down the road.
    ————–

A.J. Francis @AJFrancis410
    People ask me why would you want to be an @uber driver if you play in the NFL… You know what’s better than NFL money? More money.

He also “recently finished his third semester in pursuit of a master’s degree in international security and economic policy.” I can source that for anyone who wants. 🙂

LOL @ I can source that for anyone who wants.

Francis is certainly taking care of his future unlike a lot of the guys in the game who squander millions and end up broke by the time they are 35.

If you don’t follow Professor Lou on Twitter your missing out!

Professor Lou ‏@professor_lou · 26s27 seconds ago
    Maybe the Marlins should be there helping out the Phins painting to make sure there’s no runs.

I really like Prof Lou….still can’t figure why people gave him such a hard time when he visited us. Have noted after a while he didn’t come back though.

Who gave him a hard time?

I don’t really remember who (well I do on a couple but why mention?), but it was more than one. Wasn’t sure exactly why, but I figure there might have been past history. Or maybe some who were territorial (most not here anymore on the new incarnation) thought he was invading their turf. I just don’t know.

It is common decency however to acknowledge a source if you do borrow material. In my article last week I listed the source and put the borrowed material in italics.

I quote what people say all the time or I say paraphrasing or something to the effect based on what I remember they said.

I can see in an up-top post, but we are talking in comments. I put out the article I grabbed something from if I think the rest is of interest, but take the case of what I put out on Francis. Am I really going to help anyone by putting out “according to Milton Kent’s blog on the Washington Post” with a link when there really ain’t that much more there?

Correct and I don’t think the accusers issue is with any of the comments but we are only speculating at this point as to what the issue is.

I think the plagiarism argument about this site is pretty silly. No one is making a profit from this site. Its informational and I doubt anyone would care if we post their content here. But I agree with son, we should try and mention the source when we put someones writing here.

My guess on our LB depth chart:
    SOLB McCain, Paysinger, Vigil
    MLB Misi, Sheppard, Luc
    WOLB Jenkins, Tripp, Hull, Hewitt

I’m sure some guys are also cross training at other LB positions which you need to do for game day.

Just based on what was said yesterday, I’d think he was referring to OD’s articles. Did anyone think he could recount those games without referring back to something? So what? I can’t remember what happened last week. There are only so many ways to say the team scored, the day was hot, and most importantly, WE WON! It’s a personal account of an actual event so of course there will be similarities. I don’t see what the fuss is about.

herdfan says:
    June 10, 2015 at 12:06 pm

‘I don’t see what the fuss is about.’

think that is it, now there is all this ‘fuss’ over something he said. kind of like how he is the only one that attacks shula. i wont say he is a troll, but at times he has troll like actions.

I might have told this story before but our neighbor down the shore knew some guys who went shark fishing off the jersey shore I think somewhere between LBI and AC. They caught a big brown shark maybe 8 feet and were dragging it back in from the back of the boat (19 feet) like a giant lure when a great white shark as big as their boat went after the brown shark. It scared the shit out of them so they cut the line and took off. LOL

I’m doing an article on the LB’s as we speak, it will run tomorrow.

33. James Walker ‏@JamesWalkerNFL
    Pro Football Focus: #Dolphins have AFC East’s worst roster http://es.pn/1QMgxPF “-

Guess not everyone is that high on the Phins. This from Sam Monson, NFL of ESPN. AS he explains: “We got together PFF’s analysts and ran through the data, composing a ranking that incorporated our grading as well as football evaluation for added context….”

Came up with Pats #4, Bills #15, Jets # 21 and…..
    ———————————–
    23. Miami Dolphins

2014 Ranking: 13

Top five players: Cameron Wake, Ndamukong Suh, Brent Grimes, Reshad Jones, Branden Albert

Starters who should be upgraded: Dion Sims, Ja’Wuan James, Dallas Thomas

Analysis: The Dolphins are a fashionable pick to be contenders this season, and Tom Brady’s suspension does provide a potential opening in the AFC East. But on paper they don’t look as ready to seize the opportunity as the other two teams in the division. Suh joins Wake to form a duo that should provide fireworks on the defensive line. The D also contains quality players like Grimes and Jones, but beyond that, depth is a serious concern across the unit.

On offense, Ryan Tannehill is a solid starter who still needs to iron out his inconsistency and accuracy issues, while there is no star playmaker with the ball in his hands. (The Dolphins are certainly banking on rookie first-rounder DeVante Parker developing into one.) This team has a decent amount of top-end talent, but it could be in trouble if injuries bite.
    *******
    Full list at http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/13046017/seattle-seahawks-top-ranking-rosters-all-32-teams-nfl
    But need the insider thing.

35. Then again — until we win the division or finish above both the Bills & Jets we really can’t say anything — JUST WIN!!!!

36. Without this guy – the Fins have ZERO wins in the Super Bowl!!

June 10, 2015 at 12:24 pm

All the stats I will post are mine, I watched every game and compiled all the stats myself. lol

yeah yeah but we all know the BOTW’s are stolen from me.

38. Copyright Laws

When you write a blog post about a topic you found via another blog or website, you should attribute your source with a link. Give credit where credit is due. Bloggers who publish content on the public Internet are bound by copyright laws. You don’t want to be accused of plagiarizing another person’s work, so it’s imperative that you always publish original content on your blog and properly cite your sources.

Its as easy as providing a link to the original article but its still a politeness thing and not illegal. Internet documents are considered public domain and its the responsibility of the person publishing the original article to privatize it.

Gigi — giving credit is appropriate from a moral sense but whatever the technical legal possibilities are it is not a problem in a practical sense. Nobody is going to get sued over this. Pockets are too small and damages too tiny. Worse that would happen is getting a “stop that” letter from someone. And on comments……..not a chance in the world.

I could go into it more, but will leave it at I did a lot of research into what my old organization could and could not put out on its website at one point.

• Nobody said anything about getting sued – it is pretty clear you cannot copy info from other web sites, articles, etc. put that info your own article and not give credit to the appropriate sources,

Then we agree it is what is proper from a moral standpoint. Was just going off the “laws” thing. It’s not a criminal thing, it is only a possible basis for a civil action.

Gigi,
    I think we’re tied for 2nd in AFC east. the pats will win it. We’re gonna be pretty close to where the bills are. WE have a better QB. They have a better Defense. We went 8-8 they went 9-7 last year. I think we’ll be battling the bills and many others for a playoff wild card spot.

wow, and i get told to stop beating a dead horse or to move on from a topic.

yippie, lets keep giving him attention with his idiotic plagiarism comment

Explains why no tweets today. From Mando:
    ————————————-
    Surprise: No practice today fellas
    Miami Dolphins are scheduled to meet at their training facility this morning for what is supposed to be an OTA practice — the third this week. Not happening.

Coach Joe Philbin will surprise his team by calling off practice and instead heading from Davie, Florida south to Hialeah in Northwest Miami-Dade County — about a 40-minute ride — to do a service project at an elementary school.

Michael Thomas ‏@Michael31Thomas · 2h2 hours ago
    Took a break from OTAs to give back. @miamidolphins @brennersix5 #strongertogether

Miami Dolphins ‏@MiamiDolphins · 2h2 hours ago
    .@ryantannehill1 doing landscaping at the entrance of Mae M. Walters Elementary.

wait, so instead of a football practice. you know playing a game, joe is saying, here have the day off and go do yard work. lol, thanks joe.

you can just here Lauren now.

sure you go volunteer to do yard work but i ask you to plant one rose bush for me and you are too busy on sundays playing a stupid game with your friends.

Okay folks
    It looks like the Houston game has won the poll
    Let’s try to get a head count of who plans to attend

Who is in
    Piggy
    Stanger (+1)
    OD (better half TBA)
    Son (in for 2, Maybe more)
    Rock (+1 search on)
    Al ( in, maybe +1)
    Toba (+3, including the dreaded Pats fan)
    Mike E (maybe with +1, +2 or +3)
    FFR (maybe)
    Ken (maybe)
    Bookman (maybe and maybe +1)
    Brian in NY (maybe)
    Herd (probable)

Repost and add you name if you plan on going to texans at dolphins.

Okay folks
    It looks like the Houston game has won the poll
    Let’s try to get a head count of who plans to attend

Who is in
    Piggy
    Stanger (+1)
    OD (better half TBA)
    Son (in for 2, Maybe more)
    Rock (+1 search on)
    Al ( in, maybe +1)
    Toba (+3, including the dreaded Pats fan)
    Mike E (maybe with +1, +2 or +3)
    FFR (maybe)
    Ken (maybe)
    Bookman (maybe and maybe +1)
    Brian in NY (maybe)
    Herd (probable)
    Gigi (maybe +1)

Repost and add you name if you plan on going to texans at dolphins.

I don’t remember anyone here giving Prof Lou a hard time

And if anyone did they should fuck off

The guy is full of great information and is an asset here as far as I am concerned

I’m sure he doesn’t visit for the same reasons many don’t always visit: sometimes the drama supersedes the football

If I wasn’t an admin I might be Inclined to take breaks myself
    I don’t fault anyone for that
    Nor do i assume anyone has been chased away

People popping in and out of a blog is the nature of the beast

June 10, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Team building and public relations. Better to do it now than when they can practice in pads.

sure, go ahead, lets get all serious about it.

so, how about those efforts to cure world hunger. hopefully one day every child can have a big mac

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 22m22 minutes ago
    Former Lions DT C.J. Mosley reached agreement on a 1-year deal with Dolphins, per source. Mosley reuniting with Ndamukong Suh in Miami.

• naplesfan2010 says:

This is weird as I thought we were set at that position, but we now have added another player with NFL starting and PLAYOFF experience.

Win Now much?

Okay no doubt there’s been a heavy approach on run defense this year. I think a lot of it has to do with the Bills and Jets and even the Pats run it well when they want too.

So our DTs are Suh, Mitchell, Mosley and phillips? I doubt we keep more than 4.

52. naplesfan2010 says:

Again going back to the Seahawks SuperBowl year, they signed a bunch of vet DTs and rotated them frequently so they were always fresh and kept fewer WRs and DBs on their roster. It worked.

we kept a bunch of DBs last year and I bet we do the same this year

So I don;t think we keep less DBs

we have one big advantage : Tony Lippet who can play WR and CB

• naplesfan2010 says:

After watching his WR tape at MSU, I want to see Lippett on offense for us also.

53. naplesfan2010 says:

If teams simply cannot get more than 80 yds per game say, then they become one dimensional and must get first downs by passing, meaning we know where the sticks are too, so we get more jumping the route picks and pick sixes as they desperately try to squeeze the ball into tight windows. Fingers crossed.

Liking this kid more and more.

La la la la la la la la la la la la la la la
      Hey, our Bobby
      Oh, our Bobby Mccain, yeah

June 10, 2015 at 1:42 pm

really? if the ‘drama’ on a blog upsets someone then they have more issues then the blog. it is simply a blog, not the solutions to mankind (which we all know are boobies). come on, you write articles about anal rodents, how can anyone take this place seriously

bookman11 says:
    June 10, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Really, a big mac? So….you want to cure their hunger and kill them slowly another way.

‘Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, chees…..’

lettuce bookman….L E T T U C E. it is healthy. now stick to what you know and go find you a late book whore.

June 10, 2015 at 2:05 pm

And a nice order of those thing they call fries. I don’t know what they did to them but they taste like salty cake sticks and they suck now.
    __________

I agree. what did they do to those things?…….oh, I bet I know…..they made them “healthier”

Of course they did. LOL

French fries are pretty simple. Cut potatoes, deep fry them in very hot oil so they’re not soggy and sprinkled them with some salt to taste. What else could those things be? LOL

We were in the seat draft today. Here’s the draft pick.

Sec 321
    Rows 28-30, seats 1-6
    Row 27 seat 2-7 (seat one will become available if the group in front does not buy).

Since we are on the aisle towards midfield, that’s about the 15 yarder, and yeah up high as usghe.

Whole new world this season with the variable pricing plans and the seats they took out in the corners. Good news for us is the Texans game is not hot and prices have actually dropped in the nose bleeds for a game like that.

We got better seats than last year for actually a bit less at $45 plus tax (list is $55, but we got the group discount).

Nobody wants to go see us play a team we have never beaten. LOL

That said, that shit better change this year.

I want to be there when we do beat them. Last team we haven’t…..will never be another chance. Plus not like they are all that good. Better them than the Ravens…..who I’ve seen beat us three times now.

Actually iceberg lettuce that they put on Big Mac’s has no nutritional value. I must say I desire one of those from time to time but I don’t get the fries anymore because they suck.

59. naplesfan2010 says:

forgive me for being serious for a minute, but so as not to plagiarize … it’s “me and Bobby McGee” by Janis Joplin. Not Bobby McClain. Now back to fun. LaLaLaLa … me and Bryce McC, I mean me and Chris M…, aw N/M

60. naplesfan2010 says:

I saw us beat the Ravens in the 1-15 season … was that our last W?

Stanger, finally beating the Ravens would be a good sign things are changing for the better. We compete with them for a half and then they knock us out in the 2nd half.

If you go to a BBQ FFR is hosting and he says he put special sauce on the burgers, I suggest you don’t have a burger. LOL

Two years ago when we went to the Ravens game (small fest only Stanger, Piggs and I) we were beating them pretty good until the refs basically handed them 2 TD’s on bs penalties and then Sturgis missed what would have been a FG to send it to OT. Jones had a late pick 6 (which I called) off a tipped pass by none other than Dion Jordan.

Yes but prior to that didn’t they basically whack us in the 2nd half including the playoffs in the 08/09 season?

• BoulderPhinfan says:

yup I remember that. Two bullshit PI penalties. Its just like the NBA.

“Stanger, Piggs and I”…plus your huge crew, a few others. and a visit with OD and his boys and girl. We were still like a dozen and a half.

What happened recently with Prof Lou?

Nothing. I was commenting on what happened before this site and before your great admin crew took over the old one. Wouldn’t blame him for not coming back to this crew unless he understood it is a different world.

Gotcha. To each his own. I like Lou, he’s always welcome here. I don’t think any of us here ever wronged him in any way.

BoulderPhinfan says:
    June 10, 2015 at 2:06 pm
    So our DTs are Suh, Mitchell, Mosley and phillips? I doubt we keep more than 4.
    ——————————-
    I think we keep 4, potentially 6 if you count a couple of tweeners like Fede, Shelby and/or Drew. I could see us carrying 9 DL all together. .

• BoulderPhinfan says:

I agree with dline. I was wondering about DTs. I think Francis and Johnson should be worried.

I think we could keep Suh, Mitchell, Mosley, Phillips, Johnson, Fede, Drew Wake Vernon. Drew i think offers us some ability to play him there or even play some SOLB like McCain did in certain packages. I think Fede also could see time at 3 position as well as at DE. Versatility is key for the backup players. Shelby i think has a chance to be one of the surprise cuts this off season. His rookie contract is up this year and he has had 4 years to win a starting spot. If Drew shows any signs of being on a competative level with Shelby, i think Drew wins the spot.

tim and bookman

what is this shit about mcd’s fries. you mean to tell me you guys actually remember eating them? people actually eat at mcd’s when sober?

• naplesfan2010 says:

I have not eaten at McD since the 70s, nor Wendy’s nor Burger King nor Dairy Queen (except for ice cream like twice) and not at Hardee’s since the 60s and never at Sonic. I do like 5 Guys though, and I love Chick-fil-a nugs and strips too, and their waffle fries are almost like real food. I’ve only been to Ben and Jerry’s twice.

It’s one of those things that once in awhile if I’m starving and it’s a quick pit stop. I always feel like shit after eating it, mainly because of the fries and that’s why I cut them out. But I pass on it most of the time now.

Lou has been here and I don’t recall any problem .
    Stanger are you misremembering?

* Suppose I better credit Roger Clemons for the use of the word he made up

Lou has been on this new place?

What I am remembering is back before the mom and dad split up…….so maybe three four years ago. Lou came on very nice and some were really going after him. I was like “what the F.” Looking back I put it off to narcissistic personality disorder

June 10, 2015 at 3:13 pm

lol, that is so funny that you actually think i would let any of you fuckers in my house. well other then herd that is.

I thought Lou was one of the guys who was on Walkers side when the split happened. Maybe he wasnt happy with house divided and just went his own way?

He’s been here, but he likes to talk draft with M13 and went over there more.

Haven’t seen him on since then, but guess you’d have to ask him…..might be he just has other things going on these days. A nice twitter invite to him wouldn’t hurt though.

70. naplesfan2010 says:

Lou still posts on the old blog. (Yes I sometimes go there to see if my certain friend already has the 21018 draft selections on the clock.)

June 10, 2015 at 3:36 pm
    Lou has been on this new place?

——————————-
    Lou was splitting time between here and FME, i havent been on Walker’s site in a while now so im not sure if he still posts there or not.

David’s site?

Oh is David running it now?

Yeah he caused the whole fight to get his admin back then immediately turned everything over to David. I don’t even try to understand.

Its been a while, David and i clashed from time to time because he would take defending his sometimes absurd points of view to almost insane levels and i get frustrated with arguing with a guy who employs the same argument style as my wife, meaning “logic be damned, im right because i believe it”. He seems like a really good guy, different but good hearted.

I am so sorry guys…….completely my bad. Son was absolutely right that I was misremembering.

Take every comment I made about Prof Lou and make it about Chris Kouffman. I’ll stick by the comments on that, but still makes me look pretty foolish. Don’t ask me why I confused the two.

• naplesfan2010 says:

Who the hell is Chris Koffman?

He was one of the three guys that did that draft analysis (real nice actually) on Hyde’s blog a few years ago (Simon from the UK was the ringleader). He visited a number of times to make friends and got a real cold reception.

Please remember to credit Roger when using his word we don’t want the hint of any plagiarism

I’ve seen Lou both here and on the FME, but not recently and I think the last time I conversed with him it was on the FME. Not that long ago.

June 10, 2015 at 3:43 pm
    ————————————————
    Lol talk about context being important. As i was reading this i was reading backwards through the blog and everyone was talking about stopping by FME occasionally, then i read this and was like wow that seems kinda harsh…….

I don’t remember CK posting on either blog. Just seeing people posting his tweets.

76. naplesfan2010 says:

What does FME stand for?

You guys talking on the SS?

I follow Lou on twitter, and he and DBolt converse a lot there.

I think it was Mike E who told CK Parrot to take his polly wants a cracker nonsense and shove it up his ass. LOL

I did have a long discussion with him, and for the record, he turned out to be a helluva lot more right than I was. It was all about Jon Martin and Incognito, but we also clashed on other subjects too.

I really don’t remember him on either blog or people giving him shit.

No it wasn’t on the blog, it was on twitter, and like I said, he was much more right than I was.

I don’t think Chris Kauffman ever came to this blog.

Stanger’s mind is still running Stanger 311. LOL

CK Parrot posted a long long time ago and it may have even been on the SS blog
    I didn’t know who he was at the time, so we are going way back on that one
    I do remember him getting a little bit of a hard time when he did – so now Stanger is correct
    I don;t remember who said what though

Prof Lou posted here and on the other blog as well (which is obviously much more recent)
    and he is usually more of a draft time blogger and has never been a high volume poster
    I don;t think he has any conflicts with anyone at either blog – and he doesn’t seem like the kind of kind to entertain that kind of drama

You are getting old Stanger….
    this is probably a good time to make sure you turned the gas off on the oven, didn’t leave toothpaste on your toothbrush after forgetting to brush and remembered to put your pants on
    😀

Oh what Stanger has to wear pants but you don’t?

I think its weird that you are advocating for him not to wear pants
        🙂

as for me and pants, some squiggly tails are meant to be free and cannot be caged!!!

hey wait you made me sound creepy

LOL Pig — I’m like one of those people who can’t tell you what they had for dinner yesterday but remembers exactly what happened on at least some night forty years ago.

He came on and I was like, “hey this is a guy on the Herald….what a great add.” Some apparently felt threatened by it and reacted in a harsh manner. CK came back three or four more times with solid info, always to the attack.

Piggy – Stanger may be getting old, but he’s not quite into the renaissance age like I am. lol

I think it was Joe W. who was given a hard time because he came off as arrogant and a know-it-all. I don’t remember CK trying to be friendly and getting crap on any blog but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

LOL @ Mike E

Asketh Mike, to be or not to be, to answer the question or not to answer the question, that is the question!

That is funny!

My Dad loves a big mac!

But to put it into perspective he has to drive 2 hours to get one so it’s different when you have one on every street corner! 😉

WTH?? How many DT’s do we have on the roster now? I guess they DON’T like our young guys as much as we thought….Oh, well. HOPEFULLY (That off-season word again) Hickey & Tannebum know what they are doing……

Mike Berardino posted articles that Joe W. did. Dave Hyde posted articles that Simon from the UK did. I want to know how in the hell I remember this stuff and can’t remember my passwords for work.

Draftwinds was awesome. So much better than anything offered by our paid beat reporters, which is probably why Hyde put it out there for a couple years.

LOL – Good job Herd. I have similar issues at work, I have at least 8-10 different programs I have to use and they all have different passwords. It’s maddening sometimes.

• herdfan says:

Same here. And some have different protocols…Capital letter and a number, capital letter, a number and a special character, case sensitive, not case sensitive, at least 8 characters, at least 10….can’t reuse one you’ve already used, and let’s have them expire every 60 days just for fun.

The signing of Mosely could be to make camp at DT as fierce as possible and if younger guys hold up, Mosely could get cut. He only signed a one year deal. But if these young guys aren’t ready, we got a guy who’s a proven run stopper.

Wyo’s Dad on his way to get himself a Big Mac.

i miss that guy from the old blog named stanger. he was cool, kind of sucks we got stuck here with that dick head stangerx

Yeah
      Stangerx always leaves toothpaste on the toothbrush when he forgets to brush his teeth

who does that?
      senile people

X is the roman numeral for 10
      he should go with StangerC as int he Roman numeral for 100

😀

A man has to realize his limitations. Part of why my toothpaste comes in a pump dispenser……no cap involved.

ffr — sorry if I am letting you down. All I can do is tell you I’ll try harder. Am hoping you can make it to the fest and we throw one down together though.

herd,
    yeah mike e cant remember passwords but he has no problem hacking into m13’s computer

LOL @ Triangulating. Whatever the hell that is, lol

That’s when FFR tries to strangle his boys simultaneously when they’re not functioning.

Son — it is what it is. Did you catch where the seats are? Not as good as we hoped, but still better than last year at a slightly better price.

Grapefruit, a bathin’ suit, chew a little juicy fruit
    Wash away the night

June 10, 2015 at 4:45 pm

I’ve seen you say that before, what is that all about?

well i hate to steal jetssuck thunder, but it is when mike e hacked into his computer by trianulating it and stole all his draft information then did a ask mike about it and didnt give him any credit.

June 10, 2015 at 4:49 pm

goes without saying you know just having some fun. and you got a deal, if i make it to the fest we can throw one down together. but no crossing swords. after maybe i will buy you a beer.

Stanger, forgot to answer about where our tickets are to the game. They’re up there in the 300s on an end zone side. I forgot the exact numbers. My brother-in-law purchased them and I simply gave him money for them. They went to $160 almost right after we got them.

My guess is that with as many New Yorkers down here that the Giants are a hot tix for a reason. Lots of Jets fans too……but they come every year. Will not that you could have a better ticket at the fest a lot cheaper though. 🙂

son of a son of a shula says:
    June 10, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Grapefruit, a bathin’ suit, chew a little juicy fruit
    Wash away the night

what is a night with caitlyn jenner

LOL and even more LOL at the one you said last night when Mike said he was leaving work, shit was funny.

Stanger’s toothpaste pump. LOL

Stanger, Thanks for taking care of the tix, Honestly it doesn’t matter to me where the seats are anyway but those should be nice. Being with you and Piggs and the rest of the fest attendees is what its all about for me.

I’m just happy the 4X6 on the aisle was there. You know I get up a lot.

An no doubt……we could all hang out in the parking lot during the game and it would still be great.

That triangulating nonsense is pretty stale. We’ve come a long way since then. Let it die already.

I have no idea what that’s about. I thought FFR was making something up when I asked him about the hacking thing. I don’t get it!

Hopefully for the very last time, M13 accused me/us of hacking into his twitter account to get some info, or something to that effect. No offense to M, but that was about as silly a thing as he’s ever said.

Herd

I have one program that we use that we have to change the password every 60 days. It’s effing ridiculous, and yes, of course that on requires a capital, and at least 8 letters or numbers. Plus, you can’t ever use a previous password. WTF are they so afraid of? No one, and I mean NO ONE wants to get into that database. It drives me crazy!

Mike E, oh I didn’t realize that. Yeah I’m pretty sure that didn’t happen.

June 10, 2015 at 5:00 pm

lol, yeah we will just stick with something fresh like your helping hand.

mike

you do know i am not busting your balls about it but silliness of it even being mentioned.

June 10, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Herd

why not reset it using the same password with just adding a 1 at the end. then every 60 days just increment it by 1.

His thinking isn’t that advanced 😉

• herdfan says:

I’ve done something similar. But when they are all different, and they all have to be changed, and usually that happens at the worst possible moment. I forgot the one where I have a token that gives me a code I have to enter on top of remembering the password. lol

Im no mental health expert but with M13 a few times i did get seriously worried about if maybe he was bi-polar or something or just so over stressed he came unraveled. Some of his rants did not seem healthy to me. Very great guy, extremely football knowledgeable, good eye for scouting, just occasionally just seemed like he snapped or something. I did hear about the MikeE hacking rant thing briefly but wasnt there to fully experience or know much more than who said it and about whom.

June 10, 2015 at 5:03 pm
    Herd

———————————-
    Most business have this, mines same, except we have to have 10 characters, and cant use anything that has been used in the past 5 times changed. I think it also wont allow dictionary words either.

You want uber security and one that makes sure you are you, you could use password hash algorithms. I have seen ones that run via app and they basically create passwords off your base password and these passwords are only valid for 30 seconds, before it moves on and rehashes it. You run the hash algorithm via app on your phone and it tells you what the password will be for the next 30 seconds. The app itself is bound to that account and has the key for producing the hash value, so only the person with that installation of that program and entering the password valid for that 30 seconds in time will be able to get in.

We use something like that at work, it sucks. Do you want to try to remember this password F0r63tA80ut1t or J39$%#p$

Thats the beauty of it you dont have to remember, every 30 seconds its different, but it can be a bitch to type it in before the 30 seconds runs out.

Cant tell the first one is forgetaboutit, what was the second one lol i wasnt leet literate enough to decipher that one

June 10, 2015 at 5:05 pm
    ——————————
    Mike he should have known it wasnt you, you literally just found out twitter wasnt really a bird that delivered messages to people just a few months ago. Old people are so tech handicapped!

You people that travel home in the 4-5pm CST hour, suck….

Here’s another example of the national media writing out of their asses

Yay! The Dolphins skipped practice today to pitch in for the community by cleanung up / fixing up an elementary school. How generous and altruistic of the team…..

YEAH FUCK THAT SHIT! THOSE FUCKERS NEED TO BE AT PRACTICE HOLDING THEIR SKILLS TRYING TO GET BETTER!

THEY ONLY GET SO MANY DAYS / OFFSEASON TO PRACTICE! THEY NEED TO USE EVERYONE!

Rock, I think the reason Philbin chose a team comradery building day to give back to the community is because they had two really good practices the last two days.

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP · 13m13 minutes ago
    #Dolphins sign DT C.J. Mosley, waive Kamal Johnson http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/06/10/dolphins-sign-dt-c-j-mosley/

I never really thought K. Johnson would make the team and the staff probably said let’s see if we can upgrade our depth. I’m not sure Mosely is a lock to make the team, but he should improve the competition.

He should stop disabling smoke detectors to get high though. LOL

Did Kamal come in all fat or something?
    Quick ouster for a guy they seemed to like so much last year.

When was he ever in the mix? Francis and A. Johnson were in the mix until Francis went down in the PS and A. Johnson went down during the RS.

D

Exactly – I’m too old to be a hacker, and again, no offense to M13, but there is enough information available on the web that I wouldn’t need to steal any info from him, as knowledgeable as he may be.

I don’t know why but Mitchell seems to get a lot of flack from the outside as if he’s a chump at DT who needs to be replaced. He’s a good player with a great motor who also penetrates the backfield and chases plays from behind. I don’t think we’re looking to replace him at all, I think we’re looking for superior depth.

119. naplesfan2010 says:

Message Sent and Received: WIN NOW!!
    Miami’s run defense ranked 24th of 32 teams last year, allowing 121 rushing yards per game.

Detroit, featuring Suh and Mosley, was No. 1 in the NFL, giving up just 69 rushing yards per game.

We were 8th against the run and 2nd against the pass after 10 games before the wheels came off. We finished 24th and 6th respectively.

I suppose that was more of an opportunistic signing rather than a need signing. They must have figured why not get the guy Suh paired with to be the front of the best run stopping D in the league.

121. naplesfan2010 says:

When you think about it, after Suh and Mitchell, the first man off the bench for us was either 1) a rook, 2) on the Practice squad last year, or 3) on injured reserve after subbing on a DL that got gashed bad.

So this signing gives us a 10-yr vet who has started lots of games in lots of different systems and who has started a game in the playoffs.

Much more steady of a guy to help stop Shady and whatever bellicheat has cooked up.

Son, are you sure K. Johnson made the 53 or did he go on IR before the final cut downs?

No I misremembered* I thought he did but he went on IR before the season started.

* Clemems

123. naplesfan2010 says:

I’d prefer that we keep 5 DT and 4 DE since C McCain can play some DE in certain situations.
    I think Drew is a year away and could be hidden on the PS. TooTall Dieke is a project at best.

124. naplesfan2010 says:

You know they had to ask Suh about Moseley. Suh could have said no, so he must have said hell yeah this guy can play. I think it is great that they improve a position where we struggled last year. Losing our 5th best out of 6 DT to get a guy who was part of the #1 run D in the NFL is a no-brainer.

If you look at roster breakdowns, we could easily do this:
    Defense: