Sleepers

Sonshine, Sleepers and Lollipops

by son of a son of a shula

Sleepers, to me, are the guys on the roster who don’t have expectations to either start at a position, make the team or make meaningful contributions. With such a young team the Dolphins have many candidates to consider as sleepers. I have cut my list down to my top 3 and I will explain how they make the roster, what they’ll be asked to do, how they will respond and the impact they will have. Sleepers don’t have to be rookies, they don’t have to be guys we haven’t heard of because I know this group here knows the entire 90 man roster. I based my 3 sleepers more on what I believe their impact will be, I picked three players that play with a certain attitude and desire while also being excellent team mates.

There are several guys who are ready, or should be ready, to blossom as they enter this season so let me get a few names out of the way that I considered but felt as if they had expectations already put on them:

Billy Turner – we hardly saw him last season but as a third round pick and the starter all through the offseason the expectation for Turner is to win the RG spot and to play well.

Jamar Taylor – Has battled through injuries but all indications are that he is healthy and the expectation for him despite the amount of competition in camp is to win the starting CB spot opposite Grimes.

DeVante Parker – clearly a top 15 draft choice isn’t a sleeper and we all have expectations of seeing Parker entering end zones frequently.

Jordan Phillips- The expectation for this big man is to occupy blockers as part of the Dline rotation. At this point he would be considered the next man off the bench to give Suh and Mitchell rest.

Ced Thompson- is a bit of a sleeper but didn’t make it because he will face a tough battle to get playing time at a crowded position behind all veteran players. Perhaps next year he’ll have a more significant impact. The expectation for him would be to make the team and play Special teams and grow.

Jay Ajayi – by no means is he a sleeper, the expectation is that he’ll make the team and be an instant part of the Offense.

Tony Lippett – was close to making it but with limited experience playing on Defense I felt he may struggle some this year and perhaps be a more solid contributor next year although he does display a lot of the qualities I see in my sleepers.

Bobby McCain -faces a tough battle for a roster spot and subsequently playing time with guys like Zack Bowman and Brice McCain and the large group at Safety.

Walt Aiken – Could do a lot of good stuff this year but we all felt that he should take the next step going into this year and although he is similar to my sleepers I feel we have expectations for him already.

There are many more to consider and they may very well be the sleeper of the year but I have made my list after weeding out the players I felt had expectations on them. I also didn’t consider fringe players for this. A bubble player who takes a roster spot is a different story that what I’m after now. I’m looking players who will impact the team with great play, a winng attitude and a spark to ignite the Dolphins to a playoff run.

My Sleepers –

Michael Thomas – Who is Jimmy Wilson? Does Thomas take a starting spot?

Anthony Johnson – In a crowded position with high priced vets and highly drafted rookies how will Johnson make noise?

Jamil Douglas – I can’t help but think this athletic freak will put pads on simply TAKE a job on the offensive line.

Alright, maybe you do have expectations for these players but to me these are three guys that will earn spots in very tough positional battles in camp. While Johnson won’t be a starter he could be a huge spark on the D-line that was turned over from a year ago. Douglas and Thomas both stand a chance of winning a starting job outright despite veterans in front of them.

We’ve seen a spark from Thomas before. He did it almost immediately after becoming a Dolphin by picking off a Tom Brady pass late to seal a victory but injuries have stood in the way of Thomas fully asserting himself. Coming in healthy to camp Thomas has sites on being the starter beside Rashad Jones while Louis Delmas battles to return from an ACL injury suffered late last season. Thomas will certainly be the next guy off the bench making us forget all of the terrible angles Jimmy Wilson took. Thomas is a hard hitter, an intense player and a team first guy.

Anthony Johnson earned a spot on last year’s Dline earning valuable playing time in the rotation with Starks, Mitchell and Odrick. However his season was cut short when he went on IR mid season unable to finish his freshman season in the pros. Now Johnson has to vie for playing time behind a guy named Suh and newly drafted second rounder named Jordan Phillips. Guess what? Johnson will do it, hell we might even see him play some DE in certain situations. Johnson is an athletic big man who gets excellent penetration from his inside position. I see him as a valuable member of this playoff defense as the season progresses. Johnson is a hard hitter, an intense player and a team first guy.

Jamil Douglas. Just watch the tape. The bodies hit the flo’. Yeah he’s a 4th rounder, yeah we have vets in front of him, yeah Philbin has kept two prior 3rd round Oline picks as essentially redshirts the first year. So what. Sometimes you just happen to hit on the right guy. My feeling is purely that a feeling but I think Douglas settles for nothing less than a starting spot. Douglas has great athleticism to play in ZBS, tremendous power for an inside player and swag. He has the quiet do as I do kind of swag – not in your face, he just looks like controlled rage to me. He brings the attitude that dovetails with the traits we see with Turner and of course James. Suddenly the Dolphins pound the ball down your throat. Douglas is a hard hitter, an intense player and a team first guy.

My sleepers are guys you all know and we have discussed but for various reasons they will go beyond whatever expectations we may already have for them.  These guys along with the solid vet core will spark this 2015 Dolphins team to new heights.

Suck it!

* No Lollipops were harmed in the making of this post.

This entry was posted in A Sonny Football Fantasy. Bookmark the permalink.

245 Responses to Sleepers

1. naplesfan2010 says:

Excellent post Son … both for those on your sleeper list and the discussions of the other guys. I totally agree. At worst all 3 give us quality depth.
    PS: thanks as usual to Herd or Gigi or whoever added the pix to demonstrate that cherished moment when a person becomes a fan of the Dolphins.

I don’t believe for a second that no lollipops were harmed. That redhead is clearly biting the lollipop, and I believe it’s uncomfortable and in some pain.

I like your enthusiasm for all these “hard hitters and team first guys” Not sure I buy any of it, but we’ll see how it plays out. While Jamil Douglas is a strong guy, that didn’t seem to show up on tape. He needs to learn how to use his strength and employ it on the football field. Hopefully, that’s where Benton comes in and makes it happen.

Nice work on the article Sonny!

Nice work Son! “Sonshine and Lollipops” is a great title for your posts! It would be great is Douglas can grab that LG spot. If we lock one of the G spots down, we should be able to make RG work.

Good job, Son. No reason not to have some positivity heading into the season before you have a reason to say shit, we’re not that good.

To me sleepers are guys who come out of nowhere and are unexpected contributors. Knowing our team is a little different than the rest of the league, NFL fan base and media not knowing about certain players.

So to me Chris McCain could be a sleeper starter that not many know about. We have the inside track knowing he has potential and why his rookie season looked promising then faded. He’s absolutely in the mix this year to start at SOLB and then shift to an edge rusher on passing downs which to me is part of simplifying the defense – keep guys on the field and become a defense of core guys. In this situation the only rotation that happens is that a DL leaves the field for an extra DB, maybe even another LB like Misi comes off if we need to bring in two DBs.

Not saying it will work like this every time, but I could seeing it being the case quite a bit. I expect McCain to become a player like OLB Jamie Collins on the Pats – plays on all 3 downs, rushes the passer and can cover.

No Lollipops were hurt you say???

Explain this you son of a bitch!

Witness the carnage of the human oppression of my sugar coated brothers

Nice write up Son

I am a fan of Anthony Johnson as well
    But wow, does he have his work cut out for him
    we brought in about a dozen DTs this offseason
    Suh, Mosley & Phillips
    and that doesn’t even include Mitchell from last season

I don;t know about Anthony Johnson
    the wrapper may be stuck to this lollipop (worst analogy ever,m but please run with it)

How bout that NBA draft!!!

The Lakers went with a Guard over a big man – albeit a very talented guard
    The Knicks draft risky by taking a guy who might be the next Dirk Nowitski or a complete but. That big man has some serious shooting range.

And the Heat get the steal of the draft in Justice Winslow. Suck my dumplings the rest f the NBA! Let’s go Heat!

Mario Hezonja from Croatia for the Magic. The last time they selected a foreign player he never came here.

it might be a good pick
        I actually like the knicks foreign player pick more though

Thanks guys.

Tim, I get what you mean about Chris McCain, he’ll be a sleeper to the rest of the league for sure. But our expectations as close fans has him as a starter already and figured very prominently in the defense. I wanted to find guys with a not so clear path.

Piggy

By the time Bazinga, err Porzingas makes an impact on the Knicks, Phil Jackson will be gone.

I’m guessing we won;t hear much about Porzingas for a few years

but the player does have talent
      Its possible that Jackson carries enough weight to survive a few non-playoff years

If Porzingas is the next Dirk – thats a player you can build a champion around
      but it will take time

This guy is really skinny. He’s got a lot of bulking up to do. Hopefully, he’s just one of those guys that’s uncanny around the hoop like Marcus Camby. Camby was never a stout guy, he just had a knack of being in exactly the right position for a rebound or tip in. Loved his game.

The last time the Knicks drafted a foreign big man, he was a skinny effing wuss (Frederic Weiss). Hopefully this is not history repeating itself!

I don’t think one guy has anything to do with another. The Knicks still have so much work to do. It’s not like any player in this draft would have turned them around, by everything I hear, they’re a mess.

I liked the trade of Tim Hardaway Jr. for Jerian Grant, the G from Notre Dame. He’s a better fit for what we need on the Knicks, and YES, the Knicks are a mess.

Piggy

Winslow was a great pick. Very lucky to have him fall into the Heats lap.

The Heat didn;t even work out Winslow b/c they didn’t expect him to be there
    He dropped for no good reason at all

I think teams just became interested in other guys
    Like the article I posted says – you can see the positives of the 9 guys before winslow

but winslow is probably a better prospect than most of those guys

I think the 2 europeans int he top 5 really affected the way the draft shaped up
    but everyone knew that was possible

but Detroit and Charlotte passing on winslow just before the Heat was head scratching
    I think it was more about getting the guy they knew and expected to get rather than passing on winslow

The NBA draft has gotten so much more complex int he last decade

when I was growing up the chances of the top 3 draftees being the top 3 pros was pretty high
    now with the influx of international players and one and done college players, there are many busts at the top and a little more meat deeper into the draft

Stephon Curry was the 7th pick in 09
    I don;t thin that would have happened in 1999 but 10 years later in 09 – he slips deeper into the draft

Mike E
    I wouldn’t expect Porzingas to be much of defender

He has a low post game
    but his range is what is really impressive

So what – he is skinny
    They should just let him play his game

Chris Bosh is not exactly a physical PF

A guy like Porzingas is difficult to defend

But I can see the risk
    I’m just saying let him play his game
    don;t try to make him the big man you think he should be

I hear ya. This team does need a defensive presence somewhere in the lineup though.

a great scorer is much harder to find than a defensive presence

you can build a championship team around a great scorer

I think if the Knicks ever want to be a contender they need to take a risk like they did last night
        He has high bust factor
        but if it works out – they will be able to build up the rest of that team

We already have a twinkle-toes 7 footer in Bargnani

Oh my post has eroded to basketball talk, was it that bad?

Okay, the NBA has hijacked Sonny’s article. Fuck the NBA and their silly little draft. LOL

Son

1 day after the NBA draft. It will go away soon, I promise.

I don’t care I’m just busting balls

The best competitions in camp will be at G, SOLB, CB and S for one spot. Delmas will start if ready to go but I still think we need to have a defined 3rd guy because he’s coming off of knee surgery. The rounding out of the depth at corner will also be fun to watch.

I think we keep 10 DBs and probably bring 7-8 to the game. This is how we can keep a guy like Thompson at S to develop, the same with some corners.

I bumped into a guy I know from Slatterys on the way to work this morning
    We were both talking about how excited we were about the offseason
    we also both mentioned burning Dion Jordan’s jersey…lol

He thinks Sheppard is a sleeper
    and like the rest of us he likes McCain too

Sheppard might be a good sleeper pick, I honestly didn’t give him much consideration.

He’s a vet who has started and has experience. He got to the team late (Sept.) last year and with all the talk about the defense being too complicated he probably needed more time to get it down. But he’s not really a sleeper having started 32 games in 4 seasons. He’s still young at just 27 so you never know if he’s ready to take his game to another level.

If you guys remember reading my LB article, or to be more accurate, read it at all, you’ll remember I said he might take the MLB spot from Misi

nice job son. WE need these guys to step up this year. I think one of the other linebackers could also be a sleeper.

Lollipops

Here is my sleeper pick

Right now I’d say this will be our LB group unless someone really surprises, specifically from the 4 UDFAs (Hewitt, Hull, Luc, Vigil). Because that’s all we have behind the guys listed below.

SOLB McCain, Paysinger
    MLB Misi, Sheppard
    WOLB, Jenkins. Tripp

Mike E, I would be surprised if Sheppard beat out Misi. But he does provide depth if Misi can’t stay healthy once again.

Also I did read the entire article, remember I said you left two guys out? 😉

OK Tim, so you’re the ONE who read it. 😉

In any case, these are both guys who have started, and have played OK, but neither has really lived up to their draft expectations. I think it will be a good competition, and with Sheppard, he’s a durable guy who hasn’t missed time, so there’s that.

Also keep in mind that Sheppard is a pure MLB, who played that position in his college career and in the pros.

“We could not pass on Kristaps,” Knicks president Phil Jackson stated at MSG Training Center following the pick.

Mike E, I like having Sheppard on the team and if he’s the best guy so be it. Like I said he got here late in Sept. last year and probably was playing catch up all season. The fact that we re-signed him is a sign the coaches liked what they saw.

I don’t think LB is going to be the weak link this year that some were worried about and the team probably doesn’t either which is why we didn’t draft one.

Wow the Supreme Court ruled gay marriage is a constitutional right nationwide. It’s now a federal law. Let the hate begin. SMH

I saw that on my phone. Pretty wild. Honestly, I wouldn’t have voted for it, but I guess I need to roll with the changes.

You’re a traditionalist I guess. I just don’t care what people do if it makes them happy. With all the hate and violence in the world like the 27 people killed vacationing in Tunisia today with one person being decapitated, live and let live.

Sheppard was also the guy traded to the Colts by the Bills for DE/OLB Jerry Hughes.

Yeah, and the Bills made out nice on that one.

Big time. I still worry about that defense and now with all the blitz schemes they’ll run. We have to establish the run against a defense like that. Can’t have them pinning their ears back all day.

I’m worried about the Jets defense too. There’s a lot of talent on that defense. Besides the D-line and LB’s, they have Revis and Cromartie back. I also expect Calvin Pryor to play better than he did last year.

Not worried about Cromartie, he’s vulnerable. The Jets strength is at DT, they’re very good and deep. Not that impressed with Coples and Pace at OLB. Pryor really didn’t do much at all so we’ll see. But they’ll be a tough defense overall.

Miami Dolphins Cheer ‏@MDCheer · 19m19 minutes ago
    Pic of the Day: @MDC_Megan is back for another year with the @MiamiDolphins!

June 26, 2015 at 11:03 am
    ——————————-
    Now FFR can just marry Ken instead of just locking im in his basement, bondage of marriage is stronger than chains after all lol 🙂

Real nice Son……some of your best work ever (even if I don’t agree with some of it). I’m so with you on Jamil Douglas. He’s the guy I want to see there, and only Q for me is this year or next.

Not so sold on Michael Thomas though. I’m looking for Aikens to be his progress stopper.

I think Thomas could end up being the game day 6th DB like Wilson was. Can play a corner or dime safety. Wilson only backed up as a nickel and safety. I also think Aikens could be the the #3 behind Jones and Delmas. But hey, let them battle it out.

ooohhhh to be a microphone

June 26, 2015 at 11:53 am

I like the way she holds a microphone . . .

why, did you teach her that

June 26, 2015 at 12:18 pm

So in his next life FFR wants to either be a stretch of carpet or a microphone. LOL

lol, you forgot one

D says:
    June 26, 2015 at 12:10 pm

WTF is wrong with you. i marry him and he will never put out again.

June 26, 2015 at 12:12 pm

LOL — in all seriousness though, I was glad to see it

yeah me too, i mean they should have the right to be as miserable as the rest of the population

It’s like buying a stock ffr. My first one was crashed and burned……but then my parents were married 52 years, and happily I’ll add.

In theory, the NLC’s could also get married. They could form one happy fucked up family. lol

Dolfans NYC ‏@DolfansNYC · 48m48 minutes ago
    Misi More Comfortable Manning The Middle http://bit.ly/1eMqRvx #Dolphins

I’d be a whole lot more comfortable at MLB with Suh and Jordan Phillips in front of me too. Someone text Philbin and tell him I’m willing to suit up.

Divorce lawyers must be happy today; more business coming their way.

LOL — I’m sure they are pleased as punch. You ever met some of them? Us lawyers have to put up with all the lawyer jokes, but when we get together we tell divorce lawyer jokes.

lol, just got told be a business associate i dont get racism cause i am white. yet when i said ok but how do you get it cause you are also white.

just love the argument you dont get it cause you arent one of them. based on that i can only argue for the middle age white man that cant dance.

LMAO

June 26, 2015 at 1:29 pm

That’s funny

not if you are GDP

tim,

i agree, i mean i would be if i could dance as well as he dances

Oh boy….SMH!

Just a quick drive by to say nice job Son

Yesss, good job Son, but where’s your sources? 😉

Good to see all the names of the guys we got on the team and how they’ll be competing hard for playing time.

LOL @ A.J. Francis tweet

-New York Daily News
    Hall of Fame DT Warren Sapp is being charged with three counts of domestic violence after allegedly biting and stomping on his girlfriend’s head on April 28.
    Sapp allegedly threw a margarita in Chalyce Moore’s face before yanking her by the arm, biting her middle finger, and stomping her head after she fell down throwing a belt at Sapp. Moore said she believes she suffered a concussion. Sapp has been in trouble with the law since retiring, as this is his fourth arrest since 2010. He was arrested in February for soliciting a prostitute in Arizona while covering the Super Bowl. Sapp was immediately fired by NFL Network.

I missed this one before: “Brandon Gibson quietly signed a one-year deal worth $825,000 with the New England Patriots as the new league year began on March 10.”

Makes you think the evil genius watches a lot of tape of the Phins. Flip side is yeah he wasn’t worth his contract.

New WRs this year and I’m sure some new wrinkles. Go ahead Bill guess who’s going where because you have Wallace’s speaker. LOL

I just read that the Mets are bringing up rookie phenom LHP Steven Matz, and he’s supposed to pitch Sunday! That’s what I’m talking about!

GD, he’s not pitching in Vegas anymore. 🙂

Miami Dolphins ‏@MiamiDolphins 1h1 hour ago
    These seven guys stood out this offseason.

READ: http://oak.ctx.ly/r/38usz

Sidelined Branden Albert knows every position–even tight end

Posted by Michael David Smith with PFT.

Dolphins left tackle Branden Albert had to sit out all the team’s offseason work thanks to the torn ACL and MCL he suffered in November, and it’s not clear whether he’ll be physically ready for training camp, or even for the start of the regular season. But it is clear that he’s mentally ready.

Dolphins offensive line coach John Benton says Albert is taking all his mental reps, constantly working on everything he can work on while his knee heals, and knows the blocking assignments on every play for all five linemen and even the tight end.

“I tell you what, I just continue to be impressed by Branden,” Benton said. “Essentially, when that type of injury happens to you, it’s easy to feel like you’re off on your own. You do rehab by yourself, you work with the trainers all day yourself. He went through quite a period of time where he couldn’t walk and that type of thing, and yet I’d sit up in my office and I can’t think of a day where I didn’t look out the window and he’s doing something out on the field at least since he’s been upright. And he has come to every meeting, he’s been in every meeting. He can go in there, from a mental standpoint could play center, guard, probably tight end. Truly works at his craft through that type of adversity and how he’s done it is very impressive.”

The Dolphins would prefer to see Albert on the field. But for now, he’s doing everything an injured player can do.

We really need 2 solid 14+ games seasons now by Albert until we get another guy groomed for the LT spot.

I’m worried. He’ll be 31 Nov. 4th. He’s had (1) 16 game season in 2011, then 13, 12, & 9 since.

C’mon Brandon, finish strong buddy!!!

I got you a new Avi OD

Very kool. I might have to steal that. 😉

Perfect.

Wrong logo. That’s from the mid 90s.

Wow, I can’t even say that’s so yesterday. A little pathetic, if you ask me to be dwelling on something that happened 42+ yrs ago. History is one thing we’re all proud of it, but this is taking it too far. What do you think of when they show Shula and the boys popping the champagne after the last undefeated team loses each yr?

I hear they shot that one escaped convict and are chasing the other one.

I agree with Douglas, but Anthony Johnson? He figures to be the 5th DT, if he even makes the team. Thomas I don’t think will certainly be the first guy off the bench, I like Aikens more. Not sure any of the safeties play in the nickel or dime.

I don’t like the term sleepers, it means different things to different people. I like breakout player better, sleeper refers more to a team. My three are Douglas, Chris McCain, and Jamar Taylor.

My definition of sleeper/breakout player is a guy that performs at a significantly higer level than he has before. Others that to consider are Tannehill, Misi, Turner, Thomas (not by me though), and the rest of the draft picks, any one of which may contribute in a big way at some point in the season. I don’t think I’ve ever thought all of our draft picks have a chance to be big contributors, that’s what I really liked about the 4 5ths and no 6th and 7ths.

Can’t argue with any of that, and I’m with you on Aikens. And Chris McCain (if I got the right first name) better be a break out guy. Seems anyone popping up from nada to starter should be.

My favorite headline of the day: “Oregon men hospitalized, recovering after rare beaver attack.”

Guess the reporter never met my first wife. 🙂

It’s still funny for about a second, but these guys that try to put the sex innuendo puns in… SMH.

The NY Post was (and still is) famous for its salacious headlines with an eye to marketing. The headline writer was one of the most highly paid people in the paper and he’s got his own “coaching tree” at this point. It’s both art and science.

I wouldn’t exactly call beaver attack Art nor Science. If that’s Art and Science FFR is in the wrong profession, seriously.

Think this one was unintentional, but you gotta love the Post headline guru who came up with “Headless Body Found In Topless Bar.” And you are right that ffr might be a good fit to take the guy’s place.

You can’t be a guy and use the word beaver unintentionally.

“Headless Body Found In Topless Bar.” is a great line, however.

wyoming85 says:

June 26, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Miami Dolphins ‏@MiamiDolphins 1h1 hour ago
    These seven guys stood out this offseason.

READ: http://oak.ctx.ly/r/38usz

————————————————————————–
    The biggest surprise of the 7

LaMichael James

McDuffie: He’s a player that can come into a speciality package on offense, and also relieve Jarvis Landry on his special teams and return duties. He can return kicks and punts, catch the ball out of the backfield, and run some specialty plays with him. To me he’s a gamebreaker. His skill set allows him to be able to change the complexion of a game.

Congemi: Getting a chance to watch him as a receiving threat out of the backfield and as a back, you can tell he’s got a little bit of shake to him. His addition on special teams could give Jarvis Landry some breaks as well. He’s really flashed to me, and grown a lot during this offseason.

I like reading these articles from the Fins Site, but they’re both big homers, so that needs to be considered.

Steve, Wilson was our 6th DB in dime last year and depending on the coverage he either played corner or dime safety which is 3 CB and 3 safeties. One safety would come up like a LB and 2 play back. I think Thomas was competing with Wilson in that role last year before he got hurt. So I’m guessing he could be competing for it again.

I think Aikens will be in the mix too, We might rotate some of our DBs for matchups with more size or more quicks depending on who we play.

I was expecting 4 CBs on the field in the dime, based on us having more talent at CB. I’d like to see Lippett play some dime situations early, to maybe gauge how the opposing QBs react to him, if they tend to stay away, he may need to play more, if they come at him, he may need to play more 😉

I don’t know the personnel combos now but let me put it like this. We still had 6 DBs on the field with Wilson serving as a CB/S. With that we could play:
        4-1-6 (Wilson at CB – sometimes as a blitzer)
        4-2-5 (Jones or Delmas move up like a LB – Wilson moved to S)

There’s a lot you can do with the 6 DBs on the field against the multiple WR formations. It all depends on what the offense is running and the down and distance.

I would not be surprised to see Thomas play in Wilson’s role. I see Aikens as the #3 backup safety if Jones or Delmas can’t go, and can serve in some nickel and dime even as a corner.

I’m just speculating and having some fun because I don’t know yet about the young corners. There’s a lot that has to be decided before we know who made the team and what their roles are.

But I do think Bryce McCain is likely the front runner to be the nickel/slot corner. The young guys have to prove they’re better than say a vet like Bowman or a young corner like Davis who has more experience but is also coming off of knee surgery. If all things go right I think Grimes and Taylor will be the starters.

I know we say the same thing every yr, but this yr I really wouldn’t be surprised, if we went 14-2. 2 yrs ago when we got all those guys, someone posted a spreadsheet and lots of us had the Fins winning upwards of 10 games. The biggest difference in this yrs team is the development of RT, he was very good last yr, and I can say with certainty he’ll be better this yr. With the 4 top WRs he has to throw to, that fit the system to a “T”, how could he not be better, besides the obvious reason (injury).

June 26, 2015 at 9:58 am

—————————————————————-

I’m going to have to steal Pig’s material, because it’s just too damn funny, Bazinga.

Mike there’s no comparison in his game with Camby. Camby is an American big man that plays like one, the stick is a Euro big man that plays like one. Because he’s white the black players will destroy him underneath like they did to Shawn Bradley. 7′ 2″ and 230, he better be able to defend on the wing and shoot a high percentage from the outside or he won’t last.

Steve, I’ve also hinted that I would not be surprised if all of a sudden we’re a 12-4 team or better because we’ve seen other teams make that jump and that’s usually because the QB position has been settled and you don’t have any glaring weaknesses. Now someone will chime in and say what about guard. LOL

If we’re not a good team because of the guard position I think we have bigger issues.

Steve

Chillax bro – Camby was 6’11” 220. Porzingis is 6’11 209, and he’s just 19 years old. Camby was never a bruiser, he was just adept at playing the ball around the rim. I think you’re purposely just going completely the other way. I think they’re comparable, because Camby was never a banger, he was more of a floater. Let’s see what the kid is before you shoot that down.

I’ve seen Porzingis listed at 220 and 230, never saw him at less than that in my limited time checking it out. The only reason I kind of followed it was because it was the NBA draft and I hear it discussed on WFAN so I just wanted to see what happened early on and with the Knicks.

I also want to say this, I’m tired of fans acting like assholes at drafts booing a young kid’s moment and dream like they did to Porzingis. This shit happens in the NFL Draft all the time and it’s totally disrespectful. They showed that little kid taking selfies or videos of himself crying and doing the thumbs down. Go to bed little guy you don’t know WTF you’re talking about. LOL

That said how did the Knicks get the #19 and #35? When I looked in the 2nd I thought I saw they didn’t have one. I didn’t think they had two 1st rd picks either.

The ESPN Knicks roster has him at 7’1” and 220, and he has no muscle whatsoever, you may compare Camby’s height and weight, but this kid has no strength.

They traded Tim Hardaway for Jerian Grant, PG, Notre Dame. I was pretty happy about that, I think this kid is a better fit for the Knicks. I also wasn’t very impressed with Hardaway.

Okay now I get what you meant when you said you liked the Hardaway trade to Brian. I thought that was done before the draft or something. Shows you how much I know about the NBA. LOL

Francesa likes what the Knicks did and really likes Grant, nephew of Horace Grant who Phil Jackson knows a little bit. 😉

I hear ya on the draft. It’s just the way it is. Fans (including myself) think they know more than scouts and team GM’s and Coaches. Guilty as charged! lol

It’s one thing to disagree but to boo a young guy as he approaches the stage is an asshat mentality. I hated seeing it when the Eagles fans did it to Donovan McNabb. How did that work out for you Eagles fans? McNabb got you to 4 NFC championship games and one super bowl even though he didn’t win it all for you. While Ricky Williams had a very good career, but got suspended, quit and played in one playoff game in his career I believe.

Obviously the kid with the thumbs down was doing it, because the people he was with were doing it, it’s just a better headline than an adult doing it. I don’t get the booing either, although, if I were a Knicks fan I wouldn’t be happy about that pick.

I’m nowhere near as up on basketball as you but there are two totally different views on Porzingis. Some say he might end up being the best player in this draft, others didn’t like the pick. Nobody will know for at least 2-3 years because he’s 19 and has to grown into his body, and the Knicks are totally retooling their roster and looking towards 2016 FA. That’s their target, to become a playoff team in 2016/17.

The only reason I’m even talking about it is because I am a Knicks fan when it comes to the NBA and I loved the battles they had with the Bulls back in the 90s with Ewing. My friends and I used to gather for it.

But the reality is the Knicks were a franchise worst this past season with 17 wins. Maybe they win 28 or 30 next season but fans will get to see potential and what might be in the future as opposed to a hodgepodge of vets that won’t accomplish anything. It’s very similar to the NFL. Build the right way when you’re bad, don’t try to fix it right away.

I haven’t really kept up the NBA either, especially when I saw the Knicks were abysmal, I just stopped watching completely. I love the draft though, so I got back into it. BB in a few.

Chances are more likely he’s a bust than a star. I just don’t see how a guy like him makes it in the NBA, he doesn’t seem to be great at anything. His highlight reel showed him shooting flat footed 3s and Ollie Oop dunks, does he even have an offensive game?

He’s actually considered a great shooter and he’s 7-2. LOL

You sound very bias about the kid and did you really see him play? He’s also 19!!! He might be 7-4 when he’s 22. LOL

Lol, Bazinga only averaged 8.1 pts a game in 75 games with Sevilla.

Phil Jackson says, he was picked for his potential, not for what he can do now. Ouch, that’s a big risk at #4.

You do that when you win 17 games out of 82. Just like the 1-15 Dolphins don’t go after a Suh type player the next year. 🙂

The Knicks are totally revamping their roster and developing young players and who knows, Anthony might get traded before they’re good.

LOL, so you don’t go after the best player you can, because your team had a horrible record.

Phil is trying to get that one in a million player, that’s the only thing that may fix his GM reputation.

It’s a little bit different to go after a top FA, than it is to select the best draftee you can.

And by saying Bazinga won’t make an impact for a few yrs buys him some time, at least that’s what he’s hoping.

How can you dump Phil now, he just brought us this great player that’s going to make us relevant in 2018 😉

steveccnv says:
    June 26, 2015 at 6:32 pm

yep, and i say this every year. this is the year that every dolphin cheerleader just says ok fine, i will go to your sofa.

Steve, we’ll see with the Knicks. I feel weird even having an NBA discussion. LOL

The Mets have insane young pitching. Get them some position players and bats and they will compete for a championship the next 5+ years. Because of the pitching this team should be a drawing card for FAs.

OMG, Omar is a retard, and I’m not talking about his spelling of sun (son).

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly · 11h11 hours ago
    And for the record, my father has done manual labor for 40+ years. The fact he’s NOW being burned by the son is proof of global warming.

—————
    Or maybe he’s getting old.

LOL Tim, on your fine dancer above. It looks like brady after he got his SB ring 😛

steveccnv says:

I don’t disagree with that at all, and what I’m trying to tell you then is who I consider under the radar, a longshot to either start or contribute something meaningful rather than fulfilling a sort of expectation.
    Like Tannehill, I wouldn’t be surprised if he threw for 4500 yards this year but I do expect him to be around 4000. But we all expect that, right?
    We don’t expect the 5th interior Dlineman to help us in a playoff run but that damn Johnson hangs tough (chuckling slightly saying that) he just may play some meaningful minutes as the season goes on and he gets more opportunities. He showed me something last year. As I said above, he might even play some DE at times.

You missed the point on why Tannehill would be a breakout player. It’s not about passing yards, it about leading the team to be close to the elite level. Wouldn’t you think he’d be a breakout player, if we went 12-4 and he brought us from behind several times to win in the 4th, had good redzone numbers, the team never lost when leading in the 4th, and made you feel like if we’re close late we were going to win?

James McKinney ‏@Texascowpunk 11h11 hours ago
    Friday Night Random Live Thread:Victory Of The Week Vol. 165 http://www.thephinsider.com/2015/6/26/8846305/friday-night-random-live-thread-victory-of-the-week-vol-165?

Steve

The Mets are in the middle of the season, and playing now, so yeah, we can talk about them. The Knicks haven’t played in about 3 years. lol

Steve

I read that D’Angelo Russell’s knees are worse than Ajayi’s. lol

Mike,
    Matz coming up Sunday is awesome, but we need to get those bats going. Did you know he had Tommy John surgery too? I think it was 4-5 years ago.

Brian, you think his Dad and family might go to the game? LOL

Miami Dolphins ‏@MiamiDolphins 52m52 minutes ago
    “Every time the ball was in his area, it seemed like Lippett got his hands on it.”

MORE: http://oak.ctx.ly/r/38z6d

I read this yesterday after someone posted the link here. We’ve got all this young talent that seems to be eager to get on the field. I really hope the coaching staff gets these guys involved enough by midseason, so that by the stretch run they can help contribute, when others are battered and bruised.

Lippett to me is a guy with an incredible upside, without much risk, since he was taken in the 5th round and not the 4th pick 😉 Seriously though, I’d really like to get this guy on the field in a live game and see if he’s ready to Shermanate our opponents. I’m sure over time he’ll be that ballhawk that some on here have been craving.

Brian

Didn’t know about Matz’s Tommy John surgery until a couple of days ago. Had it when he was 19. He’s a Stony Brook grad, and my wife went to Stony Brook too. Just missed him by a couple of years. lol

Steve, how can Tanny lead us to 4th qtr victories when we’re up in the game all the time? 🙂

You guys really pissed me off yesterday when you informed me that the mets’ triple A team was in Las Vegas. When in Carson City I went to several Reno Aces games, you might recall that they won the minor league World Series a couple of yrs ago, but now that I’m in Vegas I have to root for the local guys, at least that’s what I thought until yesterday 😦

Also nice outing by Syndergaard last night. It’s getting to the point where it’s not just about Harvey anymore. Just about every game is to see a young ace pitch. Now if the team could only hit. LOL

Not just Lippett but Bobby McCain was a ballhawk too in a Grimes sorta way. 🙂

We’re starting to get a ballhawk secondary in place, and when they get their hands on it, that’s when the real fun begins. Russell Wilson and that Seattle offense didn’t score all of those pts themselves.

The key is the DL.

Yeah, you put pressure on the QB and magically all these stray balls start flying around.

With Suh pushing the pocket back, and the QB not being able to step up, those easy wide open guys running across the middle of the field won’t be so easy to hit.

Steve, exactly! You can’t block Suh forever and he won’t allow many step up in the pocket opportunities which allows the DEs to kill it off the edge.

We have a lot of talent and depth up front to keep bringing it down after down.

Well you can block him forever with 3 guys.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly · 23h23 hours ago
      Seriously, there are THREE Eagles O-linemen trying to block Suh and he doesn’t move.

But yet the national sports media says we’re in trouble, if Suh goes down. Haven’t they noticed we brought in CJ Moseley and Jordan Phillips? It was my biggest depth issue before the draft, but no longer, it’s our deepest outside of WR.

I expect to see a lot of quick 3 step drops, roll-outs, bootlegs and waggles to keep defenses from pinning back and targeting a stationary target (QB Tannehill). Run the ball, use the quick strike passing attack then set up the 5 and 7 step drop backs in the play-action passing game down the field. Don’t let the defense get a feel for collapsing the pocket. Keep it moving and sell that run-option read. The more you show a defense and keep them thinking and chasing rather than attacking, the easier it is to keep them off you and to tire them out as the game goes on.

JUST A QUICK FLY-BY:–WYOMING–I absolutely LOVE the new Avi you picked out for me on your post @ 4:21 pm yesterday! –PUT that logo on a shirt and I’ll buy it!! –Others will, too!! –As for how I feel about the ’72 Dolphins drinking champagne every year after the last undefeated team suffers a loss, I FEEL GREAT!! – – I hope Shula, Griese, and the boys get to celebrate it many more years until ANOTHER DOLPHIN TEAM GOES UNDEFEATED!!
    ————————————-
    Gotta run to do something for my wife. Peace to all.

I feel great too, and hate when another team gets deep into the season and still undefeated, but it’s time our current team gives us something to look forward to.

The Shula teams are our history and we all cherish that, now let’s add to it.

We’ve gone through Ross trying to recruit harbaugh, Pussgate, FAs saying they don’t want to go to Miami, like Gumby, making us out to be a laughing stock of a team. I don’t hear any laughing this offseason.

Bleacher Report@LAKERS_BR 6m
    Due to the severity of his knee condition, PG D’Angelo Russell has decided to pursue his baseball career as a Pitcher. He is in contract negotiations with the LA Angels right now

Is this what you were trying to copy and paste?

Bleacher Report ‏@BleacherReport · 13h13 hours ago
      In D’Angelo Russell, the Lakers see a superstar quality that has defined the franchise http://ble.ac/1IiPcVa

One of Omar’s clones:

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly · 1h1 hour ago
    “@NewEngland50: how big a year can Lamar Miller have? Is anyone taking a significant amount of carries away from him» don’t see it happening

Miller averages 13 carries a game, how can someone take a significant amount away? Why would they want to when he averaged 5 ypc?

96. bat says:

LMAO @ Lakers front office & scouting dept. …When did they hire Ireland? …

He’s just trying to give me back what I’ve been giving him on the Knicks top pick. I think his name is Bazinga or something of that nature, who is 8’3” and weighs 175 lbs soaking wet 😉

97. bat says:

Steve …LOL …Oh ..OK ..I know very little about the NBA draft ..Mike had me duped ..lol

See my post directly below, I didn’t have to change it to get back at him, everyone knows the Knicks Fdup 😛

James Walker ‏@JamesWalkerNFL · Jun 25
    It must be tough being a #Knicks fan these days. #NBADraft

99. bat says:

Steve .. Ok ..I read up on Porzingas and it appears to me that the Knicks have drafted the next Darko Milicic ..A super soft European big man …lol

Be careful what you wish for.

“An African rock python near Durban in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa literally came up against a prickly problem after swallowing a porcupine whole. The snake died after its innards were thoroughly punctured by its dinner.”

I saw that, survival can be tough.

Sorta tells you why Man won. Don’t think any of us would pick “fresh porcupine with attached quills” off the menu. I was at Lion Country Safari a couple weeks ago and the guide explained that an ostrich’s brain is about the same size as one of his eyes.

Steve, we started to see more movement passing plays last year. I think it’s in Lazor’s best interest to utilize Tanny’s athletic ability and wheels. Tanny sells that read-option so well which is like play-action, we should do more misdirection movement in the passing game. Tanny also started to look one way and throw another. I think we’ll see more of that too. Don’t make him a sitting duck play after play, it makes no sense with his skill set.

Oh yeah did I say run the ball more? 😉

After watching RT highlights from last yr there’s lots of plays where he does good things, 100% agree on his read option he has that down, he needs to minimize his bad/negative plays.

Any QB can be sacked a lot, unless he just gets rid of the ball, but yeah, if you have issues with QB pressures, then the OC needs to help out as much as he can. Big Ben gets sacked a lot too, because he holds on to the ball a long time, but he makes lots of plays doing it. I haven’t broken down RTs holding the ball a long time, so I really don’t know if it’s a good thing or not. What I do know is he does need to throw more balls away instead of taking sacks.

Sometimes he has no chance. The pocket was collapsed before he could even set. Aaron Rodgers takes passive sacks too – he holds on as long as he can until it’s not there. It’s the nature of the game. He wants to make a play, so does RT. I’ll take that over a mouse QB who scurries away at the hint of pressure.

102. bat says:

If the Dolphins are the last remaining undefeated team, will Shula and the boys still celebrate a loss? …just curious.

bat — I’m guessing there would be a lot of “that is the team we wanted to do it” comments with a lot of toasts in private………even if not quite as happy ones.

104. bat says:

Tim .. I would hope the answer is no …I’d be very disappointed in them otherwise..

Miami Dolphins ‏@MiamiDolphins 1h1 hour ago
    “He takes advantage of the opportunity to make plays.”

@BGrimey21: http://oak.ctx.ly/r/38zrk

One of the reasons why I want Jamar Taylor to start opposite Grimes is, because of his ability to stop the run among other things. He reminds me of Vantae Davis.

Dolfanatic retweeted
    Jamar Taylor ‏@JTAY22_619 Jan 25
    I see u bro @BGrimey21

To bad it happened in the Pro Bowl. Did Grimes get suspended for that rape?

This is the difference between just a guy and a ball player. This is what I tried to teach my sons soccer teams when I coached them, you’re gonna get beat at times, give me the effort after you get beat and get back in the play.

bat says:
    June 27, 2015 at 12:28 pm

even more curious is what the hell are you on that makes you think they could be the last undefeated team

This is why we watch this game and it’s just awesome!!! 🙂

Let’s stop trying to bring down two of the best players we have in Grimes and Wake just because they’re in their early 30’s. It’s 2015, not 1980. LOL

They’re still good at what they do.

Amen Tim!

Suh & the rest of that DL should make their jobs a bit easier.

Go Phins!