Who’s in Your Draft Class?

Figure four years after you graduated High School to determine which NFL Draft you would have been a part of had you been a good enough football player to be considered.  For me it would be the 1986 Draft. Although I was as fast as a deer and hit like a truck they weren’t looking for me. The draft in ’86 was twelve rounds long and the league at the time consisted of only 28 teams. Let’s see who was the best player from that draft, let’s see who the Dolphins came away with and who was largely thought to be the biggest bust of that draft.

Determining who the best player from the ’86 draft was is tricky because the first pick in the draft was Bo Jackson 14732425-mmmainwho without question was the greatest athlete from that draft but he never played for the poor Tampa Bay Bucs who drafted him. Jackson went on to play baseball for the Kansas City Royals before becoming a two-sport hero when he began his NFL career as a member of the Oakland Raiders.

Other candidates for “best” player from the ’86 draft include:

1st rounders – Tony Casillas, Leslie O’Neal

2nd rounders – Ernest Givens, Pepper Johnson

3rd rounders – Pat Swilling, Tim McKyer

How about 8th rounders Ray Brown of St. Louis who played in a whopping 262 games or Seth Joyner of the Eagles?

It’s a tough one to answer.

The ’86 draft featured Dolphin favorite Keith Byars who went to the Eagles with the 10th pick and later came to Miami as a FA acquisition.

Without a first round pick the Dolphins first pick came at pick 52 where Dolphin great John Offerdahl was selected. His career was cut short due to injury or he may have easily vied for contention as the greatest player from the ’86 draft.52727acef07d4-image

T.J. Turner DE and James Pruitt WR were the 3rd and 4th round picks who both had decent careers.

Kevin Wyatt, Brent Sowell, Larry Kolic and John Stuart were 5,6,7,8 respectively. A bunch of blah nothing. John Stuart never played in a game.

Round 9 turned up a nice player who had a decent career in Reyna Thompson.

Jeff Wickersham, Arnold Franklin and Ricky Isom at 10, 11 and 12 complete the WHO? factor. Wickersham is a local product from Merritt Island, Fl.

The biggest bust of the 1986 draft is pretty easy to answer however, at pick 12 the Lions selected QB Chuck Long from Iowa. 67463614ded522d7f1e2e4761727ffdaBUST!

Ouch!!

#lionssuckatdrafting

#chuckdidntlastlong

#lastiowaqbdraftedearly?

#notevenaquestion

Amidst all the political and Mets talk I thought I’d go down memory lane a bit while our current Fins are out there in OTA’s grinding and bonding. I’m a sucker every year for it but I have to say I like the things I am hearing thus far. I feel like Suh is being handled properly. I feel like this coaching staff is “reaching” the players and the players seem to be buying in.

temp060116-ota-ag-27-nfl_mezz_1280_1024

This entry was posted in A Sonny Football Fantasy. Bookmark the permalink.

730 Responses to Who’s in Your Draft Class?

Wyo

That was a nice draft, both for us, and the NFL in general.

It’s nice to see that people are finally starting to join my side and realize that in order to win games that we are going to have to score more points than the other team. I’ve been pounding the table to score more points for years to the ridicule and roasting of everyone on this site. Although you’re late, welcome to the bandwagon.

btwn Gase coming in and the draft — you must be one happy camper.

If you got roasted though, don’t think anyone was saying we don’t want to score more points than the other team. 🙂

3. Al in MIA says:

sb7,
    In almost every team sport, you can see the strength of the team by the point differential observed.

The Dolphins offense, as you have observed, has been quite pathetic over the last 6 years in terms of output.

2014 was the best output of that 6 year span when they averaged 24.2 ppg. Other than that, they have been below 20 ppg in 4 of those 6 years and below 21 ppg another time.

The defense which historically has been ok in points defensed, have seen their worst two defensive scoring outputs since 2009 over the last two seasons.

Miami had been under 21 ppg defensed from 2010-2013 but in 2014 it was 23.3 and in 2015 it was 24.3. Looking back all the way to 2003 data, only 2007 (27.3 ppg in the 1-15 year) was worse than 2009 (24.4 ppg) & 2015 seasons in terms of ppg defensed.

In essence, both units need to be fixed, but as you pointed out, the offense has more to prove.

The Dolphins defense drop off coincides with changes at CB & LB it seems.

The offense? too many variables it seems but OL play has been pathetic during that time and no one can expect a bump up in PPG without that crap being fixed to at least league average.

2014 brought hope though as to some of the quick changes on the OL that could bring returns (Albert & James). Perhaps this year they see a big boost in overall performance with some of the new additions (Tunsil & Bushrod) and some overall health from Albert & James.

4. Al in MIA says:

I’m also hopeful that RT will experience something along the lines of Cam Newton where Newton regressed in his 4th year (18-12 TD:INT) from 3rd (24-13 TD:INT) but bounced back to new highs in YR 5.
    Of course, having a defense like the Panthers helps along with a weak shit division to beat up on but I do feel like RT will get to 30 TD this year with less than 15 INT.

The panthers did a lot to help Newton
      They had shit receivers last year bc of injury and youth
      But their run in. Game was a huge assert to Newton

Of course Newton helps the running game
      And the threat of Newton to make big plays with his arm also helps
      He gotta a lot out of Tedd Ginn

39 turnovers forced by their defense for a +20 in +/- turnover ratio was the key stat for them.

But they capitalized off turnovers

And I think the running game and Newton in the redzone really helped that

Well they lead the league and the +/- ratio is one of the most telling stats in football. They also scored 5 times off of TOs.

But I agree their running game and Newton in the redzone was huge as well – 19 TDs on the ground. But Newton also threw 35 TDs. They had a great year until the last game.

How many points do folks think we need to score a game to be a playoff team?

7. Al in MIA says:

Rock,
    lmfao at NFL twitter.
    Check out some of the comments on this PFT tweet:

I like Goodell now that he’s trying to stick it to the cheats.

To summarize the Philbin Era, you don’t have to go any further than just saying go go.

10. Al in MIA says:

Randy,
    Loaded question because point differential is the key and not necessarily offensive output.
    Giants and Saints did good scoring last year (26+ ppg) but their defenses mirrored the 2007 Dolphins (27-29 PPG given up).
    I say the Fins have to be +3 ppg at least to be in the playoff hunt given the competitiveness of the division.
    The Jets were +4.9 ppg last year and missed the playoffs; Bills were +1.3ppg.
    24-25 is good number as Tim said but on the defensive side, if the Fins give up 22+ this season, they won’t make the playoffs.

Agreed. Our biggest issue has been complimentary football. The defense allows an opening score and the offense does nothing. The defense allows a FG, the offense kicks a FG. The defense makes a big stop, the offense does nothing. The defense makes another stop, the offense scores a TD. The defense allows a TD, the offense does nothing.

11. Al in MIA says:

Ok, change my points it takes to make the playoffs up to 27. You play up tempo you better be able to score a ton of pts.

LMAO!!!

Al,
    I agree. I was just curious. I have a number in mind, but I wondered what others thought. Complimentary football is fine, but I want an offense that can score consistently.

Numbers are just stats, you have to be able to score, when your opponent is scoring at will, and stop them, when your O is sticking it up. How many times have we seen the cheats win the high scoring, back and forth, type of game or the low scoring ones. Team has to adapt to the situation. Need a stop get it, need a 1st down get it.

The D will get more turnovers, when our O is feared. Otherwise our opponents O won’t take the risk.

Tannehill is smart enough to pull off some of the presnap adjustments that Peyton did, he was premeditated in college. He may have more weapons at his disposal too.

steve
    Points is the only stat that actually wins games, so scoring….regardless of what your defense does….actually matters. Points scored are not just numbers Iike other stats.

17. Al in MIA says:

Randy,
    When you look at the scoring per quarter averages, the Dolphins last year went from ranking 1st in 2014 in 3Q (8.6 ppg) to 20th at 4.2 ppg. The scoring in the other quarters were about the same as they were in previous years.
    Just looking at the scoring by half data, Miami in the last few years (exception being 2014) has scored less in the 2nd Half than in the first.
    If you look at where Miami has ranked in terms of Q1 & Q4 scoring the last few years, you see them ranked near the bottom vs other NFL teams (by bottom I mean rank 28th or lower).

18. Al in MIA says:

steveccnv says:
    June 7, 2016 at 3:48 pm

——-
    I think the concern shown by the RT naysayers are not with the volume of work per say but with the 4-5 times in a game where the big game changing play is called and poor execution occurs.

Sure, but it’s a team sport. and we all know from listening to a famous QBs wife, that he can’t catch his own passes and block for himself.

19. naplesfan2010 says:

Mike that really horrendous draft year is my graduation from college year.

In the past we’ve had wimpy OCs/HCs that don’t put the pedal to the metal to put a team away. I don’t see Gase as being wimpy, more like diabolical.

Randy, you ever see the keys to a game, done by the announcers? Your comments remind me of that. Those keys rarely are how it plays out.

Randy, I get what Steve is saying. Some games you need to win 13-10, 17-16 or 38-35. Each game is different. Denver won a lot of games with defense last year. They were 19th in scoring at 22.2 PG but they were 4th in PA at 18.5 so it fits with what All was saying earlier – they were a +3.7 for the year. It’s like scoring runs vs. allowing runs in baseball. Some teams have to score a lot to win and others win with pitching. It’s not a perfect science.

That said I’d like to see our offense be a high scoring offense at 24+ and the defense come in around 20 or less.

As long as you score more points than the other Gilby you’re always gonna come out on top. Been saying it for years.

LOL @ “he was premeditated in college”

steve
    Since when do how many points scored not win games? I wasn’t talking about our defense. I asked a simple question. Of course football is more than just offensive output, but that wasn’t my question.

I agree with Al, it’s more about +/- in PF vs. PA. If you do well there you will likely win most of your games unless you’re feast or famine, really high one way or the other too many times. Then the numbers don’t really tell the story. I always feel if you do really well in PA you’re likely going to win most of your games unless your offense is just abysmal.

But this is a scoring league and we have a lot of skill players on the team, I want to see lots of TDs, not winning 13-10 most of the time even though that’s good for the defense. 🙂

I answered that question twice. I was referring to another post.

I don’t even care anymore. I thought I asked a simple, innocent question. I should have known better around here. Lol

I answered you and then continued with the other conversations. LOL

I want to be 24+ and then I said 20 or less on defense. I think that kind of ratio probably gets you in the playoffs.

Troy Aikman
    Barry Sanders
    Derrick Thomas
    Deion Sanders
    are easily the creme of the crop of good players!

Wyo, that’s a real toss up on who is the best but I’d have Aikman 4th and then who knows.
    How about that, you and I both have drafts that featured the two biggest 2 sport athletes of the modern era.

I think Derrick Thomas is underrated. That guy was the closest thing to LT as an edge rusher. So quick! Think of what Von Miller was doing during their playoff run last year. That was Thomas week in and week out for a decade.

My daughter was pre-med in college. It doesn’t mean that much, she called me the other day and asked me how to boil an egg.

It means you have the ability to learn complex things. Football can have complexities, but it’s really not that hard. That shit Gase was doing in high school for his coach wasn’t very complex, the thing that made it look good for him was how much he loved it and the imaginative things he did along with it.

29. Al in MIA says:

Naples

Thanks for the reply bud. I didn’t think you graduated college so long ago. You come across much younger, whatever that means. lol

I knew he was up there cause he has said before he’s “old” but he’s even older than I thought, lol.
      Naples I hope you make it to the Fest game, I would love to meet you.

LOL @ Son

Otter was Pre-Med in Animal House, with his 0.17 GPA. 🙂

Just having fun with numbers. You could have a 98-61 +/- be real competitive and be 1-3.
    1. 48-0
    2. 13-17
    3. 20-24
    4. 17-20

Wacky shit like that happens. LOL

That’s true though. Take that 2 game stretch where we kicked ass 84-36, yet still for the season got outscored 389-310

That shows you that you need to be a team that knows how to win close games, not lose them all. It comes down to game changing plays – positive plays over mistakes. Most games are tight in the 4th quarter or close enough.

We gotta start winning those types of game and complimentary football is the key. If you’re down 24-20 in the 4th qtr and the defense gets you the ball back, you have to score. If there’s enough time at least a FG. When you go 3 or 6 and out you lose. You kill the clock on yourself, get nothing for it and then the opponent gets to squeeze you even more. Now you have to throw every down and the opponent knows it. We saw that sort of thing a lot last year, and not just in the 4th qtr.

And:
    1. 35-27
    2. 35-31
    3. 35-30
    4. 35-33

See, if you can average 35 a game, your defense can still suck! SCORING MORE IS GOOD! Lol

Teams that can score late in games to win those types of games are usually teams that score a lot too. If you’re good enough to do it when you need to, you’re probably good enough to do that more often throughout the game. Scoring in crunch time is part of what makes your offense good. If you can do it in crunch time, then you’re probably doing it at other times too. Poor offenses tend not to be able to score in big moments.

I’d agree with that. It shows the makeup of the team. Stats may not tell the whole story and often don’t. You might have lost 27-6 and 24-13 two weeks in a row but then won 20-19, 31-13, 24-17 and 29-27 the next 4. It’s about making plays to win games in all phases.

Everything you say with stats I can prove wrong, sure they’ll be unlikely to happen most of the time, but… To scoring when you need to in the 4th just look at what Luck has been doing a lot, shit for 3 quarters, then bam in the 4th, when the D is playing soft.

35. Al in MIA says:

Randy,
    It would be nice if the offense could score more than a FG in the 1Q on a consistent basis.

The opponent opens the game with a TD and we scurry off the field on our first two possessions. Not sure how accurate that is but it feels that way to me the last few years.

It’s exactly like that and then we make a game of it late 2nd qtr, score the obligatory final score for us charging out of halftime then shit the bed the rest of the game.

Wow Randy I thought you were going to say 30 but I’ll take 35, that’s 2 TD’s more a game than what we did last year. If you call last year an anomaly and the 24 from ’14 is closer to what we are then getting to 35 or even 30 is too unrealistic. It’s going to mean scoring a lot of 4th qtr points to get there, and a lot of that is from the will of the players, hopefully Gase has them “willing”.

• Al in MIA says:

Gase has invested in a nice laser pen.
      He plans to use it late in games to blind those refs.

I’ll take the results of the Houston game last year every game. If we score more points in the first quarter we won’t have to score as much in the 3rd or 4th. (as long, of course, as the Defense holds the other team from scoring more points than us)

The headline on the fins site says Tunsil is “making an immediate impact” that runs contrary to someone’s conjecture that he was struggling.
    #ballwatcher

On one side you’ve got Mr agenda, and on the other you’ve got the team site sugarcoating it. Tunsil has agreed that he needs to get better, so Omar was correct.

The Trained Eye strikes again. LOL

I do not look to beat reporters for football analysis, I haven’t for a long time. I go to them for intel on what’s going on with the team.

Really, I’m going to go by what Omar, Perkins, Beasley and Mando say? LOL

39. Al in MIA says:

son of a son of a shula says:
    June 7, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Careful saying laser around here, some may still be sensitive
    ——
    LOL
    🙂

Lol….I think my draft year is the best. The best player in the draft in my opinion was taken by the Dolphins. He was the 6th player taken at his position and he had a record setting career and is now in the Hall of Fame. I don’t think this one is too tough to figure out.

Most likely about 12-14 of our games are going to come down to making a play in the 2nd half to win the game, you make enough of those and you make the playoffs, you don’t and see every year 2009-2015. Doesn’t matter how many/few you score or give up or the differential.

Go back and rewatch almost any of our games and that’s what you’ll see. Our SB6 loss to Dallas was the same way, I think it was about the time of the famous Griese scramble for -27 that did us in, in the 3rd quarter.

Steve, show me a rookie who doesn’t say he needs to get better? Of course he does, it’s a new environment in every way. OTAs is the consultation and learning period. TC separates the men from the boys.

I believe Tunsil will be one of the starting 5.

Steve

This is from Chris Perkins

Tunsil, the No. 13 pick of the draft, has been alternating between left guard, which is where many think he’ll be the eventual starter, and left tackle, his position at Mississippi.

And, yes, his athleticism is coming through strongly. Not only might fans see Tunsil as a pulling guard …

“You might see me at receiver or quarterback,” Tunsil said laughing.

But seriously, Tunsil has been doing well in organized teams activities, according to all accounts.

Well guys, catch up with you later. I’m off to Sugar Bay Barbados to my part time second job. I got the gig as the oil boy at the MDCL photo shoot. II have to rub oil all over the cheerleader’s bodies before their shoots. It’s rough but someone has to do it.

All accounts other than your partner the braided coconut that is.

Are you mad Piggy? Your feet are for pickling not rubbing oil on humans women.

So wrong

I’m almost sure there is a vibrator somewhere named “The Pickled Trotter”
      If not – I need to patent that

steveccnv says:
    June 7, 2016 at 6:25 pm

By all accounts is obviously not true, since at least 2 have said otherwise.

Omar and who else? well, there is you, that makes two I guess…

So Omar said it twice that makes more than one? LOL

I’m just bustin chops anyway. Omar lost my respect years ago. I take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Omar isn’t always full of shit, but I usually like to get a second opinion on any news he brings out.

Hello Ladies

It looks like love

ROFLMAO! THERE REALLY IS A PIG PHOTO FOR EVERY OCCASION!

When we get deep into the doldrums this summer we should do a photo quest game. People pick a random subject. A noun, an adjective and a verb and insert Pig and someone else needs to find a picture of said pig thing.

Piggy, surely you have “bigger” legs

Son

Brady practices sustainability

He uses the whole animal

I think they might invite Piggy to this one?

Example;
    Pig vibrator

I think they might invite Piggy to this one?

as the main course of course

pink pig shopping basket

pig crucifixion

it works for literally everything I’ve tried.

Cheerleader who likes pig totters touching her

Yesterday it was a sad piggy day in Las Vegas, as the truck taking the leftover food from the buffets to the pig farm crashed, dumping the slop on the road. Poor piggies.

James Walker
    ESPN Staff Writer

Dolphins OL Laremy Tunsil (pictured) isn’t having a strong practice today. He got beat on back-to-back plays in team drills by DE Chris McCain and DE Farrington Huguenin. The first-round pick will have a learning curve.

This was from about May 31st. It’s the same thing Omar commented on last week.

Oh my a tough practice. We’re making too much of this.

Really now . . . . 2 bad plays in a row! CUT HIM!!! CUT HIM NOW!!!!

It’s not a big deal, I’ve said that, but it’s also not nothing. It was reported last week by Omar and Walker, then this week Omar again mentioned Tunsil was struggling, and everyone said I take it with a grain of salt coming from Omar. I do too, but when it’s the second time and someone else also reported it, I just said it was something to keep an eye on.

Of course he’s going to get praise from the team, I want to hear what our beat writers say, and see what they agree on from watching practice. Facts about the plays. It doesn’t require an opinion to say McCain blew past Tunsil for a would be sack. During training camp each of the beat writers comment on each play, that’s the info I want out of the beat writers.

I kind of think Kenyan Drake might be Jamaal Charles 2.0. He might end up being better than we view him. Maybe not his rookie season but in the future while still producing as a rookie in some capacity. I like his demeanor, real confident but grounded.

I’m thinking the same thing. I hear Ajayi must be a #1 RB, I think he will, but I think there’s as much of a chance Drake is that back.

Steve

It’s a lot more nuthin’ than somethin’. Seriously

The team will sugarcoat it until blue in the face, the beat writers are going to tell you what they saw. I know they don’t have pads on, but so do the beat writers, and they take that into account when they make OTA comments, so if they’re calling out Tunsil for having a rough practice 2 weeks in a row to me that’s at least something to watch. I hope it’s welcome to the NFL rookie type of stuff. Guy comes in with all of this hype and backup vets are like, aiight I’ll give him my best move at full speed and see how he reacts. So yeah, it could be nothing, but with all the struggles we’ve had at G, I’m paying attention.

Practices w/o equipment are almost the equivalent of the combine.

So why are they calling him out for getting whipped on several plays? Omar – Agenda, Walker at least calls it like he sees it.

You guys need to put up your bull shit meters when players or coaches are talking about other players, especially about rookies that are hyped. What do you expect these guys to say? The article is from Walker, but it’s not his opinion after watching practice.

Hey Tim, Greta is down the shore

Steve
    I haven’t seen one play as a Dolphin!
    I’m guessing you haven’t either?
    I won’t believe anything until I see it for myself!
    Until then we will all wade through everyone’s bullshit! 😉

Until they play a game all we have is the eyes of the beat writers, and if they agree someone is getting beat I at least want to keep an eye on it. In the past years OTAs Omar has said the OL is still an issue, but many of us didn’t believe him, this year he’s saying it about Tunsil, and Walker at least has responded a couple of times agreeing.

Nothing more, nothing less, I’m just keeping an eye on it. When camp comes I’m sure you guys will be interested in hearing how he looks too.

Those guys seeing a miss on a play a couple of weeks ago at this juncture is meaningless. There are so many variables involved when both the O and D are installing there playbook. At least the players comments carry merit so far because they know where they are in the install and with what they are trying o accomplish.

Even you don’t believe that. When have you heard, during this years OTAs, a player throwing another under the bus?

Of course I believe me over Omar and JJ.

Instead of overt praise there could be less chatter and hearing things like the rookie will get up to speed or whatever but instead they are heaping praise, and so that speaks as well.

Steve

Because there’s no news, so they create a story. The 1st RD pick can’t handle the NFL. WooHoo, now we have a story! That’s why

Come on man, creating a story doesn’t work like that when 2 guys say the same thing. I’ve already said it could just be welcome to the NFL rookie, when he’s trying to learn and the backup vet is going full speed. I don’t know I’m just going to pay attention to it.

I think it kinda does work like that Steve. They sensationalize trivial things to get readers and clicks. This is what it’s become.

Really on the same play. When have you known Walker to do that.

68. naplesfan2010 says:

Thank you Mike E for your comment on me coming across as much younger than I am. (Whatever that means, as you say.) I have young sons for my age, and I think they and their friends have helped to keep me up on things. Noumsayin peeps? rotflmfao
    And thank you again to you and Son also for your invitation to the Fest. Maybe someday. Brah.

There are things that are crazy about being so old. For example, Harry S frickin Truman was president when I was a kid. For another example, I have seen every minute of every Super Bowl live on TV. Lots of people cannot possibly say that.

I know that is not as impressive as going to all of them (or even one), but I could not possibly have afforded to do that as far as time away from job and family.

Hey I even remember a TV sports announcer saying at a red carpet event,
    “Now that’s Bruce Jenner, there goes a REAL man!”

When Tunsil shuts down his man in a game they will refer to that player as having – Tunsilitis

I expect Tunsil to be like Zach Martin this year, that’s why when I heard negative comments about him I was puzzled. As I tend to think all of our rookies are going to be great their rookie seasons, then I get Philbined.

We’re not getting Philbined any more, Campbell douched the place before he left. Moving on to better times.

Steve I’m just a skeptical kind of guy!
    I don’t believe anything from the team or the Beat-Off writers!

EVERYONE has an agenda to push or expound on!

That’s why I’ll wait to see it with my own eyes!

I believe the beat writers when they’re talking about things that are fact like, such as a play from scrimmage. Not necessarily their opinion on it, such as bad pass by RT great catch by Parker, but what actually happened on the play. McCain blows/gets/beats up Tunsil to get to RT means Tunsil lost the battle.

Now I know how to bring out the homer in you guys, get you to be defensive about a player 😛

If say one fucking word about Suh – I swear…
      LOL

The only thing I’ve ever said wrong with Suh is that BS of his jumping offsides. I’ve defended everything else he’s done, even though I’ve seen him loafing at times (not going to comment further on it though).

* he was loafing at the system

Piggy’s new main squeeze piggy….

I’m tired of defending Suh all the time . . .

teams with clutch QBs win those close games. How many come from behind wins did elway, marino, brady, rodgers have had. That’s why they’re HOFers and that’s why their teams made the playoffs every year.

76. naplesfan2010 says:

ummm Tunsil is learning a totally new position. learning brings mistakes with it. That is why kids go to 12 years of school just to get a measly HS diploma. The NFL is PhD territory.

Son

You sure?

The idiots from ESPN are saying they’re getting more hits from the Kimbo Slice death, than from Ali, as if he was more popular. Well of course, because you’re not going to find to many sources covering the Slice story, but everyone with a news outlet is covering Ali.

• naplesfan2010 says:

Ali is old!!!
      Young guys who would be on twitter relate better to MMA than old school boxing.

The point was the total hits on all sources was greater for Ali, and that ESPN thinks they’re the only game in town.

79. naplesfan2010 says:

Suh might’ve been setting up his man. Or he might’ve been like “WTF kinda scheme are they tellin us to run at this down and distance? … we are gonna get ripped up the gut for a big running play!”
    So he went rogue.

Why are we so amazed when kids do things great? If they have the talent and the passion for it, they certainly have the time to perfect it. Adults that do great things surely didn’t get great once they became adults.

America’s got talent always raves about the kids and that Steve Harvey show does the same. Yeah it’s great they’ve got the talent, but the fact that they’re kids shouldn’t make it amazing, it should be amazing, because it is, and it is in these cases.

Mentioning someone’s age hints that they aren’t at that top level yet, just that they’re better at a younger age than expected.

Grump – what, did the neighbors kid’s ball go on your lawn today?

• naplesfan2010 says:

man that kid just absolutely ripped some classic hot blues licks … the riff in the break where he is pickin on the short strings kicked ass!

Gotta check that out when I get home from work. I liked SRV a lot

Mike E, Tim, Brian NY, and maybe Pig too.

Two great games in Pittsburgh today. Nothing like the Bucs and Mets……brings me back to the old NL East days.

You guys have a great bunch of arms. Hard to keep the Buccos’ O to six runs in two games, especially in a double header…..you guys must be deep.

Did you guys catch that Mark Melancon was the first pitcher to get two saves in one day in a decade……yeah I’m being a pain in the ass.

Guess better get while I can cause you guys have Syndergaard going tmrw 🙂

82. Al in MIA says:

Stanger,
    I wish the Bucs can just leave Harrison at lead off (my selfish fantasy reasons LOL).
    Really, he’s got the speed Jaso doesn’t have to steal bases and he’s far better contact hitter than Mercer or anyone else they have tried at the top of the lineup.
    A real pet peeve of mine is when managers try to put certain skilled hitters in the batting lineup that doesn’t take advantage of their skill.
    i.e. Toronto using Jose Bautista at lead off, Pirates using Harrison at #6 or 7 in the order, Cleveland using Carlos Santana to lead off half of the time :/.

I wouldn’t put him at leadoff, he’s no Omar Moreno 😉

Sweetie was so much fun to watch back in the day.

That’s what we wanted to hear. Always a good thing when the highly talented guys succeed, because the sky is the limit, unlike the limited Mitchell.

86. Al in MIA says:

Wyo,
    I don’t care about paper wins (“leapfrogs” Mitchell).
    I can’t wait for camp to start.
    New attitude for this team and more physical talent at almost every position 🙂

Al
    I’m just regurgitating whatever is out there! 😉

88. Al in MIA says:

GDP,
    Thoughts on 2016 UDFA OG Andrew Zeller (Maryland) who the Lions just waived yesterday?
    Saw this on some Lions fan board from late May

89. Al in MIA says:

Wyo,
    How are things out by you?

Like a drowned Rat in Texas!

I’m in Wyoming visiting Mom and Dad this week.

It’s beautiful up here. Haven’t been here in the spring in a long time!

90. Al in MIA says:

Steve,
    One last thing on Tunsil’s evaluation from Omar and that is that Omar is right in calling it how it is “not doing well today” or whatever the message was. However, Omar’s character is such that he has a history of sensationalizing or politicizing what he says and thus to sit here and pretend that his comments are not intended to be loaded is naive.

91. Al in MIA says:

Steve,
    I hope Phillips is developing :). He flashed some very good things at times last season. I’m looking to see more consistency this time around along with his bulking frame.

The comment made yesterday about wanting the RBs to be 3 down backs benefits Drake the most, because even if he isn’t the starter he’ll be given an opportunity like he’s the starter. Game in game out the guy running better will get the most carries. Our RBs will be 1A and 1B.

If I’m a draftee and I’ve been traded up for, I’m stoked, because the team feels like they must have you. In our case players traded up for know they’ve been targeted, because of system fit and need, so the chances of success go up.

94. Al in MIA says:

steveccnv says:
    June 8, 2016 at 10:32 am

And that’s negated be the fact that Walker said the same thing.
    ——-
    Just point to Walker then 🙂
    Tunsil himself admitted to having some early struggles as you mentioned.
    I just think in terms of expectations for me in these OTA and rookies there are 3 categories
    “Amazing”, “typical learning curve (ups/downs)”, “clueless”.
    To me what I’ve read on Tunsil falls into the “typical learning curve” category.

95. Al in MIA says:

Steve,
    I would imagine that perhaps Gase uses the RB stable in a way that Sean Payton uses his and that is to ride a certain RB for a few series and then unleash the other one that possess a different gear (or strength/agility mix) to throw off the D.

Very possible. I think Ajayi and Drake will be the main guys. I’m interested to see who becomes the #3 and #4 backs though.

96. Al in MIA says:

Wyo,
    lol at ‘drowned’ rat in Texas.
    I have yet to see Wyoming…I definitely will check it out sometime.
    Perhaps I should recruit one of my brothers who is big on camping and such.

Did anyone catch VJ say in his presser that Cleyon Laing is mainly playing inside? I remember during the draft some of us liked Jonathan Bullard as an interior sub package rusher at 6-3 285. Well Laing who is listed at 6-4 290 on the official site is the same type of guy. It would be great if he panned out being from the CFL. He had 16 sacks up there over 3 years including 9 last season. So maybe he’s a player on the rise. He’s only 25.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

wake part 2?

A different type of player and he wasn’t quite as dynamic as Wake who dominated the league up there – rookie of the year and twice DPoY totaling 39 sacks in 2 years. But if he can give us some depth and inside pass rush that would be a good thing.

• Al in MIA says:

Let’s hope. 🙂

98. Al in MIA says:

Is there a new blog up that I don’t know about?
    Where are all the East coasters LOL.

Stanger, the Bucs are a good team but right now the Mets aren’t hitting and they’re down a few starting bats right now. To me the Mets need to hold ground until the all-star break and then go on a late season run. They’ve been very up and down so far.

They are doing just fine. Right now it would them and the Pirates in the wildcard game. I ain’t complaining about that even though we are down 8 games to the Cubs.

The Cubs are either going to run away with it or cool off and come back to earth at some point. I’m still hoping the Mets can get to full strength in all phases and take the division from the Nats at the end so no WC game. 🙂

And I’m waiting for the Bucs to get better too. We got three hot pitching prospects now eligible to come up now that it is June. You’ll see the first one make his debut tonight — Jameson Taillon, a former overall #2 pick.

Al in MIA says:
    June 8, 2016 at 9:26 am
    Stanger,
    ——————————-
    Jaso doesn’t have the speed, but he’s doing just fine (and he draws a lot of walks). Harrison would be the traditional lead off guy but the Pirates line up ain’t like a lot of other teams. They are deep through the first seven spots (guys batting .290 or more) and don’t really try to manufacture runs…..just let those guys swing away or go for the free pass.

They don’t really push it too much until they get towards the 8th and 9th spots. So think they like having guys in the 5-7 spots with speed like Harrison and Marte cause that is the point where they are willing to for the swipes.

And where Harrison does plays means more RBIs for you.

Stanger, Jameson Taillon is a big kid. Is he a hard thrower?

Never seen him play a game in my life, but from reports he has mid-nineties and sometimes up fastball, big overhand curve and a decent change-up.

Don’t include Jamil Douglas as one of the guys worried about Tunsil.

“I knew he was athletic. But I think the guy … it’s crazy how athletic he is. If you watch him play, how natural his movements are. He’s just an athletic guy, a smart guy. He’s kind of quiet right now. I think he’s just trying to get comfortable.”

Douglas has been working at C and both G spots so he’s got a shot to be one of the 7 that goes to the game even if he doesn’t start. He said he’s been working on snapping all offseason – 25 snaps per day before they even got into OTAs. Last year he was thrown in there in-season. He should be better all around this year.

I’m OK with only keeping one of the 3, between Douglas, Turner, and Thomas. Hoping for Douglas, he’s strong. Turner is OK, and might provide future LT depth, but has to pick it up this camp, and Turner is done.

Well Turner really only has one season under his belt. He was hurt his rookie season and missed most of it. Douglas one season under his belt. Thomas is another story. He’ll have to really take his game to another level to stick around being that he’s in his 4th season and even he didn’t play much his rookie season due to shoulder rehab.

My view on this is let’s see how it plays out. Who’s the starting 5 and who rounds out the 3-4 depth spots.

“he’s been working on snapping all offseason – 25 snaps per day before they even got into OTAs.”

Would love to know how many snaps he was planning on doing before the draft versus those 25. 🙂

25 doesn’t seem like a lot.

Per day? How many do you think he does in practice? There are 4-5 guys getting reps each day at center.

You’re talking about 175 snaps per week unless he takes a day off. It’s not like he’s just snapping one after the other within 5 minutes. I’m sure it’s more concentrated than that along with making line calls. He said he does that in his living room with items lined up in different spots representing the DL and LBs. That’s how he works on his calls but doesn’t snap it in his house. LOL

Think about it this way. He didn’t get reps at center early on last year, that happened in-season so think about having 0 snaps for say 6-8 weeks of the season and then being thrown into the fire vs. having like 3,000 snaps heading into this season.

It’s all about hand placement and finding out what works best for him. There are only two snaps he needs to get down, under center and shotgun. Reps equals learning what works best and then perfecting it for consistency. Last year he was still learning in games. Not the best time for that.

Omar is killing Dion Jordan today.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 5m5 minutes ago

Is has become VERY CLEAR Dolphins are uncomfortable thinking about, talking about or planning for Dion Jordan. He’s disappointed them plenty

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 3m3 minutes ago

Im told Dion Jordan isn’t in the greatest shape, & the fact he waited more than a month to apply for reinstatement raises even more concerns

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 2m2 minutes ago

With all that said, I’d be misleading you if I told you I knew what would be happening with Dion Jordan. I just know the Dolphins moved on.

What an idiot, the team can’t talk about him, because of CBA rules. He says he doesn’t know about him, but says they moved on. How could he know they’ve moved on, if he doesn’t know about him. His BS is so easy to decipher.

Lets add in that the Phins aren’t even allowed to talk about Jordan while on suspension and can’t step foot in camp until then. Was Omar hitting the internet again, or did he just burn the last person who ever talked to him confidentially in Davie?

He’s not capable of using logic to figure things out, so he just spews out agenda driven BS. The only reason he’s on Twitter is, because of the power he thinks hes getting from the blocked button. Kiss my ass or you’re blocked.

steveccnv — were you on the SS board when Omar figured out the power of select “I am God” presentation that came with Twiitter? He was like one of the guys who figured out how to build Kelley LeBrock in Weird Science.

Yes, an epiphany (realization that after all this time he didn’t know the obvious).

Whether there is something real here or not he’s so cryptic. His last point is totally contradictory. I don’t know but I do. LOL

Which means he doesn’t know. If they didn’t want him they’d at least try to trade him, and wouldn’t have sent Alonso out to check on him. When logic is lacking, which is most of the time, his BS meter turns to bright red. When trying to trade him you don’t say you don’t want him.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 5m5 minutes ago
    Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 3m3 minutes ago
    Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 2m2 minutes ago

Does Omar ever learn the game or is he always wondering about stuff? He says OL can’t be evaluated much without pads then goes on to do just that. He says he doesn’t talk QBs then does nothing but for long stretches at a time. Then says he knows how the team feels about Jordan but he’d be misleading us if he said he knew something. LOL

Geez dude, WTF?!!!

Cue in FFR accusing us of giving him what he wants – commentary about his contradictions on a blog that isn’t really mainstream so only maybe 50 people read it. LOL

Carroo is built like a RB. He might be the Matthews replacement who was similar in size – 6-0 210.

He does have a point regarding the one month wait to apply. why would he do that? And is it a coincidence that it takes 30 days for THC to be removed from you system completely? LOL

I hope he’s ready to play. I haven’t given up on Jordan even if Omar has.

My only guess based on his recent interviews is he was more concerned about finding himself over being a football player. He needed to be a good man first, then a football player. I’m still wondering if football is his thing even though he says that was something he always felt he was really good at. Maybe he’d rather be a chef. We don’t know yet.

I hope he finds peace in whatever he does even if he didn’t help our Dolphins and we gave up two high picks to get him. That was 2013. We haven’t been a good team since with or without him. We’re in a new era. If he wants to play and can help us, great! If not, I hope he finds himself. He’s no longer a key to anything we do this year. He’s a bonus.

The month wait baffles everyone, but its not like Omar figured out it was strange, it’s common sense. Once he gets into camp we’ll know, if he’s in shape, if he wants to play, and how much BS his agent fed us. Based on pictures of him working out he seems sincere that he wants to play.

Not sure why he had to put Timothy P. Wheat in the corner twice, but man he isn’t the same guy any more who had fear in his eyes when I gave a big hello and offered my hand to shake.

——————————————-

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 13m13 minutes ago
    Mandatory minicamp is next week. Watch these same people beg me to unblock them. It’s quite hilarious.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 18m18 minutes ago
    Omar Kelly Retweeted zack
    You clearly do since you responded…..BLOCKED

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 22m22 minutes ago
    Omar Kelly Retweeted Timothy P. Wheat
    BLOCKED

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 24m24 minutes ago
    Omar Kelly Retweeted Timothy P. Wheat
    BLOCKED

114. Al in MIA says:

He’s probably just jumping to conclusions based on what he hears rather than waiting out the process and reporting it when or if it happens.
    He’s acting no different than Jason La Canfora who wrote about Dion Jordan being traded to Philadelphia or any other national reporter who tries to play this game of “Ha, i told you i was right!” by per-emptively writing about something that hasn’t occured.
    It seems being wrong is not a problem for the people that employ them.
    So much for journalistic integrity these days. It’s all tabloid crap these days for the big companies and they encourage it from their journalists.

It’s all about hits, that’s why I only belive the things that are fact like, what happened from scrimmage. The BS meter is always on high with all reporters.

115. Al in MIA says:

Boulder,
    Let’s be honest, the agency representing him is calling all the shots for Dion at this point.
    As to why he reinstating later rather than sooner, the explanation is the establishment of accomplishments being made off the field before reinstatement. Jordan is in the middle of various things and the agency does not want him to apply until he has completed those self imposed off field recovery programs so as to show the NFL that he is focused on those recovery programs. Applying without completing the programs first would show the NFL that he is not as genuine in fixing his problems.

I agree, but they are advertising for other players in trouble, so they’re basically using Dion. Look what we did for Dion, we could do the same for you, to get your life back in order.

• Al in MIA says:

That’s true too, they want to establish that their program works.

Mets once again acquire Kelly Johnson from the Braves. I think the Braves should sign Kelly Johnson every season so the Mets can trade for him. 🙂

Was just watching highlights of Kiko and Maxwell, from right after the trade. It opened with what were they thinking in Miami. I haven’t heard any of those comments lately, now that the pendajos know these guys are system fits and have looked pretty good in OTAs.

With Gabbert even I as a tanne-critic find this to be ridiculous.
    Oh boy here we go:

NBA is fixed for several games of a series. LeBron was getting mugged inside in Oakland with very few fouls called, then Cleveland at home is getting all the calls. Same thing with the Toronto series, home team getting calls. Towards the end of a series they’ve achieved their goal, so they call it a little more fair for the road team.

Von Miller turned down $114m contract that would have been the largest non quarterback contract in history of the league. wow

Al,
    That might be the reason. Finishing certain classes etc to give a better showing.