Ask Mike – 2016 Season Week 5

ASKMIKELogo

from Piggy

Q – Oinks

This team sucks.  And although Douglas, Turner and Thomas all were not good.  Why do we have to play 5 games to see them cut?  What can we do in week 6 to improve the OL?  I’m not getting the timing.

Always Squealing,

Piggy

I think it’s an easy answer actually. First of all, it’s kind of unlikely that we had to go so far into our depth on the O-line. Our top 5 guys have never been on the field together this season (Albert, Tunsil, Pouncey, Bushrod and James) Our next 2 backups were basically Steen and Urbik, and Steen was also injured, so the last minute replacements had to step in when Tunsil slipped on the soap in the shower. So basically, we had a 3rd string OG playing LT (Billy Turner), 3rd string OG at LG (Dallas Thomas), a rusty Mike Pouncey in at C, and the usual starters on the right side, Bushrod and the struggling James. You have to admit, it was a strange set of circumstances with Albert out and for Tunsil to get injured right before the game. That set all kinds of bad things in motion.

I would have thought Thomas and Turner were serviceable as deep depth, and I’m sure Gase and the coaches thought so too. Most of their evaluation was done in pre season, these guys don’t see a lot of snaps in practice, so it was basically what they did against other teams 2nd and 3rd stringers, and apparently, they did well enough against the lesser talent to be 3rd on the depth chart. I would think most teams would be in trouble if they had to start two 3rd stringers on the O-line against Tennessee’s talented defensive front. I don’t blame Gase for playing them, keeping them on the roster, and I think it’s great that after seeing how poorly they played, he instantly cut them. How many years did Philbin keep them? Gase cut them as soon as they proved unworthy of a roster spot. That’s the right way to do it. If you think about it, how many teams are going to do well with a 3rd string LT, a 3rd string LG? My thought would be not many.

I’m sure we’re scanning what’s available, and have been even before we made those cuts. OT Sam Young will take one of the spots, the other has yet to be filled. We get Chris Culliver back in 2 weeks, meaning the Fest game. The way we get better is by getting healthy, and that means Albert back at LT, Tunsil at LG, Pouncey at C, and maybe Anthony Steen when he gets healthy gets a look at RG, and maybe Bushrod replaces Ja’Wuan James if he continues to struggle.
__________________________________________________

from Wyo

Q – So after a somewhat horrible start the Fins have 4 home games and a bye.
Tennessee has played tuff (Kicked the shit out of us)
Pittsburgh will feast on our secondary
Bills will be tough us as usual
The Stej are like looking into a mirror (yes that is pathetic!)

So at 1-4, what is your take on the rest of the season?

I have to admit Wyo, I don’t know what to expect from this team anymore. I just don’t know if this team can get it right. This game against the Steelers, who I believe may be one of 2 teams in the AFC that have a legit shot of being in the Super Bowl this year (Patriots are the other), we have no business being on the field with the Steelers. For some reason, this is the type of game we might win, because it’s silly! The Steelers lost one of their very talented receivers to suspension (Martavis Bryant), but they have Le’veon Bell, Antonio Brown (possibly the NFL’s best WR), and now WR Sammie Coates seems to have emerged. They have a young wild west TE named Jesse James, who’s also showing to be a decent receiving TE.

The Steelers are scoring 28 PPG, and are only allowing 18.6 PPG. We have scored 17.6 PPG, and have allowed 24 PPG. Again, we just have no business being on the field with that team. By all means we should get clobbered ugly, but for some reason, I think we hang tough in this one, and even pull it out. If we do, does that turn the season around? It might, but then I could just as easily see us getting mauled by Rex and his Bills, so I don’t know bud, I just don’t have any confidence in prognosticating for this team anymore.
____________________________________________________

from UK

Q – Hey Mike,

My question will be in 2 parts.

1/ Can you recommend any really heavy medication to dull the pain?

2/ Our O has been turgid for so long it makes me hurl. Between our coaching staff being predictable and bailing on the run for another season, an O line which acts either as turnstiles or penalty generators, a gifted set of receivers who can’t separate (except for Juice) and our much-flawed QB, we have the biggest collection of drive-killers (if you are reading this OD, please capitalise drive-killers in your head) ever assembled on that side of the ball.

On the other side, we have a D designed to rush the passer that rarely gets there (coach decided Wake needs his mid-game naps to stay sharp?!?), a wide 9 attack which creates runway sized holes for opponents to run into and LBs and 2ndary which can’t tackle or take the ball away.

This is another, and arguably the biggest, clusterfuck yet in terms of failing to deliver what was promised – I still think we will get more than 1W this time around. My 2nd question …… when will all this end?

Thanks for any (real) hope you can provide

UK

PS Thanks goodness for the always reliable UK Fin (cue the curse on Jay now)!

Hey UK, as a matter of fact, I can recommend something. Two things, actually.

Don’t watch the Dolphins play anymore this season.

Get a nice bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey

Recently, I’ve been coming home as grumpy as a Dolphins fan, from work, and I’ve sat down, opened the bottle of Jameson, and taken a couple a shots, I’m not a sipper myself. Takes a few minutes, but I can feel the anger and frustration melting out of my body, and then I just feel mellow, chill, and ready to take on the world again.

Like most Dolphins fans, I watch, and I feel like I’m watching the same team we’ve watched for the last few years, except now, our defense is even worse than the big time chokers they were, now they suck from the get-go, sparing us the late game disappointment when they just have to make a hold. The offense, now filled with young, talented WR can’t do anything. Parker not looking like the stud we thought we had, although it’s possible it’s the Tannehill effect.

Speaking of the Tannehill effect. Think about his success, or at least what looked like a promising start in his first through third years. In 2012, Tannehill had Brian Hartline as his leading receiver, Davone Bess second, and Anthony Fasano third. But, and this is huge, 1802 yards rushing from Reggie Bush, DTinfinity, Lamar Miller, and RT himself. In 2013, it was Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline, and the rushing fell to under 1500 yards, 1440, which included 238 for RT himself. Year 3, 2014, we went back up in rushing, exceeding the 1800 we got in ’13, up to 1872, and Tannehill had 311 of those yards. In 2014, back down under 1500, just barely, at 196, and Tannehill had 141 yards. Last year was Juice all the time with a smattering of Rishard Matthews, Jordan Cameron, Kenny Stills, Devante Parker, but mostly Juice with 110 receptions, the other 255 distributed among the receivers I mentioned and the RB’s.

This year after 5 games, we have 362 yards rushing. If you extrapolate that over a full season, we’re looking at a low of 1158 yards. Tannehill this, Tannehill that! Yes, he’s not the best QB in the NFL, maybe he’s at best right now in the lower middle. So WHY, WHY do we put it all on #17’s back week after week, with a leaky O-line as per usghe, and expect anything good to come of it? WHY?????

We simply need to run the football. We have 2 young backs who would love a nice workload, and we should give it to them.  Heck, we have an old RB that would love to get a lot of carries, and revive his career, and show the NFL he can still play.  Play the game like teams who don’t ask their QB to win games. The Denver Broncos are one team like that, and the Houston Texans are another. Both teams have over 500 yards rushing at this point, and neither team relies heavily on their QB’s, Trevor Siemian for Denver and Brock Osweiler for Houston. Both teams have better defenses than we do, but if we ran the ball, and granted, you have to run effectively.  I think if you make a commitment to run, odds are you will have success. If we can start running the ball 25-30 times a game, I think the defense will be better, and I think Ryan Tannehill will be better too. Ryan Tannehill won’t be Aaron Rodgers, and our defense won’t be Denver’s defense either , but the team would likely be more effective with that approach.

As to when this spiraling shit-show ends, I hope soon, because as each week goes by, I’m starting to look for alternatives on Sunday, and honestly, if it weren’t for FF, I’d probably ditch football altogether in the near future. Time for Gase to get his shit together, and actually devise a game plan that gives us a chance to win. He’s benched a lot of players, cut a bunch more, but meanwhile, he hasn’t shown he’s a better coach than the guy on the opposite sideline yet. Not once, the win against Cleveland included. Time for that to change!
____________________________________________________

And now for the babe of the week . . .

nancy-wilson

This entry was posted in Ask Mike. Bookmark the permalink.

467 Responses to Ask Mike – 2016 Season Week 5

son of a son of a shula says:
    October 13, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Good to hear. Too bad he’ll miss the fest.

not really at least he gets to miss mike e saying ‘give me a question, give me a question, give me a question, give me a question, give me a question,’ and then answering it like he knows it all.

We should start sending Mr Smarty pants trigonometry questions or chemistry.
      (It’d still be the olines fault)

2. Rhino says:

Fulton Walker… R.I.P. what a memory from ’83 SB. 😦

Rhino: I had a bird’s eye view of Walker’s kick-off return for a touchdown!! – – TOO BAD our boys faded in the 4th quarter. It was a long flight from LAX back to the Palm Beaches!

These colorrush uniforms always go a tad too far

hey mike, her is a tough trig question

If x+y+z=π prove the trigonometric identity
    cotx2+coty2+cotgz2=cotx2coty2cotz2

mike e: well the answer is if thill was on the cowboys they would be 14-2 and D is in idiot for not knowing that.

Is anyone else watching Denzel Perryman tonight and crying a little?

…just me?

HERDFAN, YOUNG STANGER, SON, OR ANYONE WHO CAN GET IN TOUCH WITH GDP; Tell Mr. GDP that if he can get to the game, I’ve got a free ticket for him on the 30 yard line, lower deck. for the Bills’ game. Mrs. OD is so disgusted with ROSS (even MORE than I am!) that she WON’T CONSIDER GOING TO A GAME RIGHT NOW! So, GDP, her ticket is YOUR TICKET–GOT THAT?? –Young Stanger has my phone number if you want to go!!
    ———————
    OUR PRO football teams may suck, but our NHL teams are real contenders!!–Both the Lightning and Panthers won tonight as Florida edged New Joisey 2-1 in OT while the Lightning defeated the Detroit Red Wings by scoring 4 goals in the 3rd period to pull out a 6-4 win before a roaring packed house in downtown Tampa!! Hope Manitoba and his wife take in a Panthers game while they’re at the Fest! SUNRISE is only about 10 miles or so from Hard Head Stadium.

OUT for tonight!–The movers will be here at 7 AM! Will get back with y’all when Bright House Networks get my computer and phone hooked back up again at our new residence.

October 13, 2016 at 5:06 pm
    Lou, i like some of what i see with Bethard, i think he has limits on his deep passing but for what our offense does he should be pretty good. I think of him a lot like i did about Garopolo the year he came out, with maybe a slight nod to Garopolo from coming from a system with a more complex passing system. Bethard i think is in a system thats really simple, so its not hard to be able to do some of the stuff he does but he has a nice base of ability to work with.
    +++++++++++++++
    I’m really not following what you’re saying here. What are the limits on his deep passing and what do you mean by the last sentence?
    What I like about the kid is he executes and that’s what you want from a qb. You want him to be able to execute and he does that. Someone said he doesn’t make plays and it’s the reason why Iowa is 4-2 this year but he lost his main receiver in Vandenberg and is still winning games.
    IDK. I look at a guy who’s more NFL ready than the top two.
    He’s probably the smartest qb in the class next year. Moves very well, is athletic, has fantastic ball placement, runs the offense, sets his own protections, reads a D extremely well, has great footwork, knows how to check out of a play to beat a blitz and has the intangibles you want in a qb.
    I think too many people become enchanted with a certain type of guy in college and discount a qb like this just like a lot of people discounted Wentz and his abilities. I had plenty of people telling me I was nuts talking about Wentz the way I was and I see a lot of the same stuff with this guy.

8. Al in MIA says:
    October 13, 2016 at 4:09 pm
    Lou,
    Thoughts on Cal’s QB Davis Webb?
    I like his footwork, has a funky looks like he’s throwing darts delivery, and average velocity.
    Accuracy downfield seems onpoint.
    There’s a few highlight where i see him eyeballing the safties for a deep pattern while sitting in the pocket and then rolling quickly to hit a WR on a comebacker near the sidelines.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++\
    Montreal
    Winnipeg
    Hamilton
    He’ll probably be playing for one of those three. He fits the CFL perfectly.

9. My prediction for Sunday. Steelers up 21-0 at the half. Phins don’t even score their 17 pts in this one.
    Final: 38-10 Pittsburgh

LMFAO ROTFL!!!! At the Clinton Vs Trump Salsa!! That was awesome!

11. 81Howie says:

Rock 41-6 PIT
    Bold 27-7 PIT
    UK 44-13 PIT
    Prof 38-10 PIT
    GO PHINS!!!

• manitobafinfan says:

Howie: Pitt 38- Miami 24.. 14 of our points coming in 4th 1/4 when game was already out of reach.. But im still Playing Tanny in Fantasy for the GahBagge time points..

I don’t buy this “shell-shocked” theory with Tannehill. It’s more or less been his MO the things start going south. I don’t mean in every single game, so please don’t pull out one example that attempts to disprove this. But I can remember quite a few games against BUFF, NYJ, BALT, where he gets ‘the look”. You know, that one where he looks like he has just seen a ghost or something and he isn’t really focusing on the game.

What I was saying about bethard isn’t that he is unable to be a reliable QB us that his deep throw lack zip, and aren’t as precise as him more intermediate ranged ones, or he is no Derek Carr in that respect. but again I think deep ball skills is and overrated thing and if that was Tanny only issue is be on the other side of that argument as well. I agree with the things you say he does well. I wanted garopolo for us in 4th round the year he came out, but the Pats took him 2 rounds earlier, so when I compare him to garopolo, it’s a compliment. I do think Iowa system as far as a more balanced offense with less complex passing components means he comes from a system that easy to play in, but he still has to make the throws and he still has to read the D and he still has to react to pressure, it’s not condemnation it’s just saying he will have a lot of learning to do in his first year.

LOL @ Kong, glad you enjoyed the salsa. So well done.

15. Al in MIA says:

D,
    Bethard’s accuracy seems on point on the deeper routes but one area where he looks like RT is in the pocket…He sits at the apex without moving after he hits the 5-7 steps in his drops. He doesn’t move up while the receivers are in their routes trying to get open. You are probably going to tell me how mobile he is but when he runs it’s on design and also does so after there is a big crease in front of him (that won’t be there in the NFL).

• they’re not all designed runs. there’s plenty of times he’s scrambled for a first down. and, yes, there’s no comparison between he and Tannehill when it comes to moving around in the pocket to avoid pressure. true, he’s been sacked a few times where he stood there too long but he’s usually able to move away from the pressure to buy some time.

16. Al in MIA says:

Brian,
    RT lacks cock and balls. Most good QB press and try to thread the needle when shit isn’t going for them rather than fold the tent and take sacks.

17. Al in MIA says:

If somehow the team turns it around 180 and wins 8 games…anyone else thinking OJ Mayo or Desmond King in a trade down scenario?

Well we definitely need to add some good young players at DE and LB.

We traded our 2017 3rd and 4th rd picks in 2016 with the idea that we’re expecting a 3rd, 4th and 7th in comp picks. So if that’s the case we’ll have a full lot of picks and and extra 7th in the 2017 draft.

• We also need to trade a couple of players if we can to get that number up. Pouncey is one and maybe Wake if we can. Wake being at the end of his career could be a longshot but you never know and I know Pouncey’s contract and injuries will make it tough but we’ve got to start building somewhere.

I don’t think the team has any plans on trading Pouncey. Wake maybe but that one would kind of hurt.

• Wake has been a great player for us but we’ve also got to start thinking about the future of the team and if Wake nets us a decent pick then I take it. He’s only going to be around for us a short time and we’ve got to get someone in who can start at the DE position and who we can develop into a great pass rusher for us.

• you’re probably right about Pouncey but I think they should try it. His injuries don’t help us at all and his finesse game also doesn’t help. I like the big uglies on the o-line and think we need to get bigger at C. I really like Pocic from LSU or Elfein from Ohio St. Elfein has also played G so he’s got position flexibility. We need to get guys on the line who can move defenders out of the way for the run game. We don’t really have that right now

• and, again, I don’t want to hear ANYTHING about a offensive player in the first.

It looks like we might finally have the projected starting 5 on the OL this week.
    LT Albert
    LG Tunsil
    C Pouncey
    RG Bushrod
    RT James

• Al in MIA says:

left to right, everyone looks good except James.
      I bet Adam Gase is telling James that he’s going to bench his ass if he fucks up.

Yeah James has struggled. Maybe we can actually play 3-4 games with this group before someone has some kind of ailment which is common. This group has never played together.

• James was another player who I felt was a reach in the first. But, I looked at it and said, “well, they know better than I do.” So far, that hasn’t been the case. When we took Jordan I wanted Ansah.

20. Al in MIA says:

Lou,
    So who does Beathard remind you of…. Ben Roethlisberger? cause that’s kinda what I see in resemblance of style.

• Hard to say really. I think his intelligence, mobility in the pocket and his ability to scramble for the first, ball placement, his trust from his coaches to let him check out of plays and his intangibles make him a guy you can build an offense around.
      He’s not a flashy guy and doesn’t play for a team with a high powered offense and doesn’t get the press and they hype of a Kizer or a Watson. Big Ten offenses are typically boring in that they run the ball a lot but he makes plays when he needs to. Even in the loss to NDSU he was making plays all game and was getting his team down the field for scores.
      He made some nice plays to keep drives alive and made some nice td throws as well.
      All I know is one former player watching him play said, “when I see him doing what he does during games and see him wearing that #16 the first guy that comes to my mind is Joe Montana.”
      Of course, I’m not making that comparison but that was a comment I heard. In addition to watching his games I’ve looked at multiple interviews and the guy he reminds me the most of in those situations is Favre. He’s a country boy, a tough kid, and he knows what the hell he’s doing.

21. Al in MIA says:

When’s the last time you heard of a real trade in the NFL?
    There isn’t much activity regarding that because teams don’t have full financial responsibility.
    In other sports trades are done because teams don’t want to be stuck with big guaranteed contracts. If baseball/basketball had voidable contracts, you’d far less trades.

22. Al in MIA says:

The only trade I remember that meant anything was Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey.

23. Al in MIA says:

If you aren’t young or are injury prone, the trade value is basically shit.

24. Al in MIA says:

Lou,
    I’m not opposed to an offensive player (case in point, Fournette).
    You take what the market gives you.

Al, my preference is Kelly at this point. The only concern i have is there is part of me that thinks of Kelly as potentially the next Farve or Rivers, just because he has a ton of confidence on the field and he has a good arm to get it deep when he sees it open. All the NFL traits are there, but he also seems a bit emotional and not always in control of himself, shows on the field and off the field sometimes. That could mean he could turn out like Jay Cutler, which isnt much better than we have an comes with a much worse attitude and work ethic.

I think with the right coach, and i see Gase still as the right coach, that he could develop the right way and be Rivers/Farve like, but again, thats going to come down to Gase and if he wants to take on thta kind of project. Its also why i think you could wind up with 1st round talent in the 2nd round, with a bunch of other coaches not wanting to deal with it.

Lou, one thing we can do is see how the projected starting 5 develop starting Sunday and see if we have something there. Even if the season is not going to be good from a W/L perspective it would be good to see some areas of the team progress that we can build on. The only player we’d have to bring back would be Bushrod, everyone else is signed through 2017.

We can do better than Bushrod. We could pick up Zeitler in FA and really give our OL a boost. Keep Bushrod but move him back to OT and let him be a backup.

Maybe, I’m saying if the OL started to really jell and Bushrod was a part of that. We can still bring in other competition.

Lou, like Gase said, James has 45 solid snaps and then 4-5 are not very good and it stands out. But that’s been the problem with this OL. Someone is always having their bad 4-5 on too many plays, so they have to clean it up.

Let’s it starts on Sunday.

Ive seen some of those 4-5 bad snaps though that Tanny really could have helped on. When you talk about one helping the other, James’ play is prime example, there have been times where if he had done a better job Tanny would have been in a better position to have mad a better play but there have been others where that was reversed. Worst part is coming from the right hand side, Tanny has been facing the pressure most of the time when it has come from his side.Very visible.

I’m talking about the OL play. Regardless of what Tannehill does there are things they have to clean up.

What that i said in the above post doesnt say that…. damn you are friggin sensitive about that shit….

When i look at Kizer, i see Steve McNair, but not as far developed as McNair was when he entered in the NFL. I think he has a little ways to go before he could reach that potential but he has some similar traits. Actaully he probably compares better to Jameis Winston than McNair, but there is a similar comparison to be made about Jameis too.

Trade value is only there if the team can get something out of it. Either they get a young player, like you were saying Al, someone that can grow with the team, they get really good value, or they are desperate, ie trying for a playoff push and they HAVE to get a starting caliber replacement, and you have the best option to get them past that roadblock. The latter is probably best option to offload an older/injury prone vet. For example if a team like Minnesota gets in a position where a guy like Wake could take that defense of their thats pretty scary, to a nightmare kind of thing right bwfore the playoffs we might have a chance to trade him for good value. I wouldnt take just anything for Wake, he is more important to us, than just cutting bait for a mid rounder.A really good 1st, maybe even 2nd + others combination offer… It would be something to consider.

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    October 14, 2016 at 1:21 pm

————————————————
    You and me both. Ansah was my guy for us that year. TBH when i saw we had raded i thought it was for Lane Johnson, though i hoped it was for Ansah.

D, enough with the sensitive stuff. Maybe it’s you. LOL

We all do that sort of
    “Well I guess they know better than me” rationalization

there are two many mistakes in this organization to even recap

Look what i cam to on the argument about Tanny i believe boils down to slowly pull off a band aid to prevent the here and now pain, ot rip that fucker off to go ahead and get it over with and move on. It boils down to fear, some with the fear of the unknown and it not being any better, and the rest with fears that if we dont do something we definitely are going to be reliving this day again and again.

Best analogy i could come up with is a goup fo guy lost in the mountains and they come to a valley where they all know, man we are figgin lost. They can hear the sound of helicopters fluttering around but there is no clear direction that can be discerned they are coming from. Being that the place is kind of dangerous and venturing further, you could get more lost than you were before, some want to sit still until they see the helicopters arriving to rescue them, other in the group are more of the mindset they should strike out and try to find help now, because they have no idea when or if those helicopters ever find them.

Thats who we are right now, we are a team that is lost, we think there might be an end to this plenty of times before, Tanny (the helicopter) seemed close, only to be let down again, and some of us as fans want the team to stop waiting for it to get here and go a different route even if inevitably it puts us in more danger, just for the hope we find salvation faster.

D, I mention something about the OL play, then you infuse Tannehill into it, then accuse me of defending him when I say I was talking about OL play, and then you call me sensitive. It doesn’t add up.

So me reacting to a reply you made to my initial comment is me being sensitive? Should I not have a conversation that I started?

Should i not be able to make a statement like that without you needing to defend him….

My statement wanst anti yours…it wasnt hijacking it to talk bad about Tanny it was proving a point that yes the OL needs to play better, they need to help each other. You looked at it from the slant you though it was coming from.

I didn’t defend him. My point had nothing to do with the QB. I didn’t say you couldn’t reply to anything. You reacted to what I said and I reacted to what you said. That’s what a conversation is. Geez man! I’m fine, you’re the one with the itch, not me.

Tim i cannot for the life of me understand how you can incessantly type about how boorish people are towards Tanny as much as you do and not see your own faults. Maybe i am being sensitive to your responses, but every time i type Tanny i get….its the OL its the OL, all his faults, OL and Defense….no one is helping him yadda yadda yadda.

I guess im just tired of it because literally in the same post where a person says they are yin and yang, OL problems and his problem, both contribute to one another you start jumping in on how you have to be fair and put some of the blame where its due….or hey im not talking about Tanny im talking about the OL…i mean come on thats what was just said man. You take “protecting him” to a level at very least as equal as anyone else you condemn for bashing him.

Why do announcers still call him Ryan Tann-E-hill? Probably because they figure he has no pocket awareness, so why should they have pronunciation awareness

There must be a fucking rule book here on what you can say and when, or when a post is appropriate and not, and some governing body i was not aware of…can someone link this handbook to me…Tim, you obviously have a copy can you send it to me?

This blog needs an enema!

I can’t believe I couldn’t even get a chuckle out of my Tann-E-hill joke. You guys are all wound too tight.

It’s so interesting who fans seem to want to skewer. James hasn’t struggled. He’s played fairly solid, but he has given up some sacks….half of which were Tannehill’s fault….sorry, had to be said. I can’t say he’s been really good, but he certainly hasn’t been bad. Bushrod, however, has looked like complete shit, but folks seem to wanna focus on James. All most fans even see on the OL are the bad plays….and that 5% dictates their opinion. It is what it is. As they say, it’s all about who’s ass is being gored…or something like that.

If I am gonna draft an Iowa player in the first round, it’s Desmond King. Teams aren’t even throwing at him anymore.

D says:
    October 14, 2016 at 2:21 pm

There must be a fucking rule book here on

there is. and it reads. If you don’t like what someone post about your comment, just blame the QB

43. I think Bushrod is one of the players the coaches see the lack of effort from and doubt very much he’s back next season. In fact, if they have an answer and that may be Steen when he comes back, Bushrod may be gone before the end of the season. Steen at least gives effort.

sb7mvp says:
    October 14, 2016 at 2:34 pm

This blog needs an enema!

wrong, this blog is what happens after an enema is given

Randy says:
    October 14, 2016 at 2:47 pm

randy,
    i went back and have looked at every play so far this season. there was also 7 would be sacks that thils brilliant pocket awareness help avoid.

Tim i apologize, no itch here. Just fed up. I don’t think you are listening to what im saying but that is what it is.

sb7mvp says:

October 14, 2016 at 2:34 pm

This blog needs an enema!
    That’s what happens when ya have a bunch of assholes around .. 🙂

I dont see lack of effort from Bushrod i see a guy who looks all kind of out of place. Not every OT can transition inside, thats what i kept warning about with Tunsil, and others people were just going oh yeah we can drag and drop him right into that spot. He might get better, but he looks flat our bewildered the way some of the twists in blocking assignments get missed, etc. Just not a natural position for him.

Soooo….how about those Cubs? Is this finally the year?

50. Phindog says:

Toba,
    I think we land around 3pm on Thurs.

I hope Doughty is playing by the Fest. This way everyone there will be happy, even if we get shellacked.

manitobafinfan says:
    October 14, 2016 at 3:39 pm (Edit)
    My thanx for the update on GDP as well.. I had tried the email I had but alas..

No problem. One of the many services I provide. Besides… what else can I do with all these email addresses I hacked? 😂😂😂

53. Phindog says:

Ft. Lauderdale.

Mike E : I have NEVER liked any Molson Product.. I used to enjoy Carling products (Old Vienna) , then Molson bought them, and they all taste like crap now..

Mike E / Bookman.. I think the only way we see MR Doubtfire is if Tanny gets injured..

• manitobafinfan says:

at least this early in the season.. tack on a couple more losses and I do hope to dee him, but saying that I hope we don’t see him.. if ya follow that..

🙂

Maybe thats a slick way for them not to have to eat their words and still make a QB change…lol

Lou,
    I’m obviously a huge Iowa fan since I was born and raised there. I’ve watched Beathard play every game at Iowa, and I’m rooting for the kid. I hope he can be as successful as you predict. I’m just not convinced that will be the case…but I’ll be watching as I do with every NFL prospect from Iowa.

Do you see him like i do as a guy with NFL potential but a little way to get there. He does some things pretty good, but i think that learning an NFL system will take him a little while to acclimate to.

D,
    He’s smart enough to learn any system quickly. That doesn’t concern me. He just doesn’t impress me as a guy who will be able to up his game to compete at the next level….but who the hell knows. He actually remind a me of Fitzpatrick, so maybe he’ll carve out a career for himself in the NFL.

59. 81Howie says:

Toba
    Thats funny, might make me rethink those whopping 6 points I gave us.
    NAH, cant even count on my MAN reshad to turn this mess around

60. 81Howie says:

Rock 41-6 PIT
    Bold 27-7 PIT
    UK 44-13 PIT
    Prof 38-10 PIT
    Toba 24-14 PIT
    GO PHINS!!!

I gave herd my email once and then I started to get all these emails from some place called Ashley Madison.

Holy flying fuck D, I have no idea what you’re talking about? I never said anything about Tannehill. My post was about what Gase said about James.

October 14, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Let’s it starts on Sunday.
    _____

This had nothing to do with Tannehill. I was also responding with a new post to Lou about James.

Then you replied:
    D says:
    October 14, 2016 at 1:34 pm

October 14, 2016 at 1:49 pm

D says:
    October 14, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Yeah it does say that. Then you go off on a tangent because of that. What was sensitive about my comment except for you? Nothing! I think you’re still having the debate with Mike from earlier and taking it out on me. It’s all right there to see.

Randy says:
    October 14, 2016 at 6:38 pm (Edit)

And now the secret of my alter ego has been exposed….. 😉

64. Phindog says:

Ok… I’m going to go for a walk and drop a few yard cigars. BBL And Happy Friday.

Something funny to make us all laugh….or at least just me!

D, just saw your other post.

D says:
    October 14, 2016 at 3:22 pm

_____

I can discuss the OL and different areas of the team without discussing Tannehill. I’m not talking about him anymore. There is nothing left to say. Everyone has said what they think of him so many times in every way possible. Some of you are done with him and that’s fine. Some of us think MAYBE he needs more balance and protection around him to be successful and he doesn’t have that. Look at how many times I’ve posted about finally having the projected 5 OL for once.

I’m a Dolphins fan first, not just a player fan. If we replace Tannehill I will root for the new QB just the same. The same with every other player on the team.

LOL Herd! That was funny!

68. 81Howie says:

Damn thats funny but not.
    One time I set my soda on the trailer took a sip a bit later and a wasp went right in my mouth and stung the shit out of me.
    OUCH!
    Good thing I’m used to getting stung very often.
    Remember
    Wasps like Soda, Fly’s like Beer

‘Everyone has said what they think of him so many times in every way possible.’

no true, i have never heard anyone blame it on his right big toe year.

70. Phindog says:

So what do you all think of Tanneee hill so far and our awesome defense 🖕

71. Phindog says:

Did I even mention our awesome OLine. 😳

It goes without saying……

Herd,

I am sad you won’t be at the Fest, but happy for you on the reason why.

This is my first. I thought you went to one. I respect you for putting real life priorities ahead of a football game.

75. 81Howie says:

Rock 41-6 PIT
    Bold 27-7 PIT
    UK 44-13 PIT
    Prof 38-10 PIT
    Toba 38-24 PIT
    GO PHINS!!!

Spoke to my BF Steelers buddy last night, and I basically told him what I said here, the Dolphins have no business being on the same field as the Steelers. He didn’t like that, and gave me the any given Sunday slant, and told me to save my platitudes. The only thing that go in the Dolphins favor here is sometimes the team that has no business winning sometimes gets everything right for one day and beats the much better team

When is trading deadline?

Hulk wants to trade anyone and anything we can get value for. No one but Tunsil Landry and Parker are off limits

Ken

Mario Williams? I would think Suh would be a good trade candidate too. How often do you find a pro-bowl caliber DT available at the trade deadline?

I heard the Steelers defense gives up a lot between the 20s but they tighten up in the red zone.

Mike E:

I would love to trade Suh but no one is trading for that contract

200 yards is 5 games is more impressive than most of the offense

I think with still, you factor in that he is a FA and we probably won’t be spending a lot of $ to keep guys from an unproductive offense

Every time I read Tannehills cap number next year I think I’ve had enough
    20m next season…are you kidding me?
    He will be paid more than Aaron Rogers if he in on the roster next year
    He will be one of the highest paid qbs
    What a waste of cap space

Unless he turns it on the season he won’t be here next year

I would just like to see him put up similar numbers he has done over the last couple of years

Not that it means much to help us win

But at least that would give him trade value

Right now he is a bottom 5 QB in the NFL
        But his salary is top 5

If he can manage to be top 15 we might be able to move him for value

I’m sorry but I’m not buying the dialogue that the team has any belief he will be the franchise QB in 2017

He’s done
        He’s not turning around
        He is who he is
        If he produces better for the next 11 games – it will just be another example of inconsistency
        And chances are we won’t see good Tannehill for 11 games
        Maybe 5 or 6 if we are lucky

The issue is whether we can get value for him not whether he can turn it around

He will probably have a good 3-4 games or so at some point his season
        Doesn’t really mean much in the grand scheme of things

• There’s one thing that sticks in my craw. People can blame the o-line and say Tannehill isn’t getting it done because of the pressure but at the same time say Stills isn’t producing but it has nothing to do with the fact that Tannehill isn’t getting the ball out for the same reason.
      So, what I’m saying is the one excuse can work for one player but doesn’t work for another. People pick on certain running backs for lack of production; Williams sucks running the ball or Ajayi sucks running the ball but it’s not about the offensive line not doing a good job run blocking. It’s only about the o-line when Tannehill is in the conversation.

He’s headed for one of those bounce around careers and then done.

Of the 3 we cut
        He probably has the best shot to stick with a team

Dallas Thomas is horrible
        And Douglas was practice squad fodder most of his career

Turner is a decent runs blocking OL
        Just really bad at pass protection

Do you really want an O-lineman who’s decent at run blocking but horrible in pass pro? I don’t. That can ruin your game.

Wow, more talk about the qb……..SHOCKING. This blog is become so fucking boring.

I noticed you have. but some are just so filled with hate for one person on the team that is all they can talk about. it just gets so lame reading the same shit every time i look in on the blog.

It’s why they are called franchise QBs….they get all the attention, good and bad. Not like it’s different for any other team.

I’m sure our blog is the a blog made up of the only football fans who ever talk about the QB’s performance….lol

On Turner

The answer is no – I don’t want a one dimensional OL

I’m just saying guys like that do manage to stick around a little
    Better to be good at something then average at everything

All the blogs I’ve been involved with have talked about QB’s..Pennington, Henne….did they not get trashed on a regular basis? Never seemed to be an issue with anyone then. What makes Tannehill so special that he shouldn’t be discussed?

We end up talking about Tannehill 2x as much as anyone else
      Bc half of those discussions are whether he should be discussed…lol

• herdfan says:

lol

I don’t really get into these player discussions or who we should draft. Not my thing. But I don’t remember it being so much of an issue.

Here’s the thing, has anyone said anything knew or interesting about him? LOL

• herdfan says:

None of the stuff about the others was exactly news…How many times did I hear noodle arm? Or the Patience Brigade? With Tannehill it’s now the team that should be blamed, not just the QB. But I recall it was said over and over, Pennington couldn’t get past the first round of the playoffs. What about the team? Nope, it was just him.

Ken

I think Suh is more likely to get a trade offer than wake or Williams

But I guess you can see a team on the cusp that wants a little more pass rush making a play for wake before 11/1

But after 11/1 I think Suh becomes more valuable on the market than wake or Williams

It’s really hard to trade for a contract like that unless a team is so far under the cap, and if they are they likely aren’t a good team and a Suh away from winning anything.

‘What makes Tannehill so special that he shouldn’t be discussed?’

Are you not paying attention that is all that is discussed here. No one said not to discuss, just at some point in time talk about something else

Herd, the Henne bashing was worse because he was worse. The only bashing of Pennington was his arm strength and durability. He was a very good QB otherwise.

• herdfan says:

Bullshit. I know I read over and over how he was weak armed, noodle armed, and HE couldn’t get them past the Ravens in the first round of the playoffs. It wasn’t that the team couldn’t get past the first round, it was him.

Well I did refer to that but there are always people who put everything solely on the QB which is what some of us argue here. LOL

I never put the Ravens game on him though. We were beaten physically by that team.

• herdfan says:

That is exactly the point. ‘People always put things on the QB’. So what’s so different about Tannehill that he should get a pass?

Herd

To me, the biggest difference between Tannehill and the other QB’s is the investment. We’ve given him a big contract, and although we can get out of it next year without getting killed cap wide, we still take a cap hit for $3.5m, and Tannehill was also the #8 pick. Henne was a 2nd RD pick with a low contract, and Pennington was basically a rental, although possibly the best rental we ever made. There’s just more at stake with Tannehill, in my mind at least, because of the financial investment, the time investment etc . . .

• herdfan says:

That’s all good information, but we aren’t supposed to talk about him. It makes no sense to me. There is so much more at stake with him and yet he shouldn’t be discussed?

It’s not that we shouldn’t talk about him, I guess folks on both sides are just tired of hearing the same thing over and over again, one side making excuses, and some on the other side blaming Tannehill for everything.

That’s what it is. I’m not sure Tannehill can take his game to another level either. But I also focus on other parts of the team I’m concerned about and even during those discussions Tannehill gets injected into the convo as if he’s part of the tackling problem too. LOL

And I’m calling bullshit on this too. When he was playing, and the team was WINNING, all I read on the blog, weak armed, wounded ducks, no long bomb,complaints because there were no highlight reel moments for ESPN. Everyone wanted them to play Henne…Lets see what we’ve got with Henne, he’s got a rocket for an arm, can throw it thought a wall…..honestly, this fanbase doesn’t deserve to have a good team.

Herd has cut open the wound, and the venom and pus is flowing out. I hope it feels better now. 🙂

herdfan says:
    October 15, 2016 at 1:45 pm

where in the world are you getting that from. that is all this blog talks about. like tim said, there really isnt much that hasnt been talked about him. but okay, shame on me for wanting to change the subject. you have fun with you thill bashing 24/7

• herdfan says:

And again, I”ve seen other players being discussed today…what about them? Did you miss that? You are only focusing on when Tannehill is mentioned. And why shouldn’t he be talked about? He’s supposed to be the franchise QB. It was ok to talk about the other QBs we had…..but not this one?

As for hearing the same thing over and over…that’s always done on the blog…it always amazes me how much it goes on and on, not just about ‘he who shall not be mentioned’, but all the players, the draft, all of it. lol