Ask Mike – 2016 Season Week 17

ASKMIKELogo

from Rock

Q – Hello Mike,  The Miami Dolphins have won the last three matchups with the Patriots in Miami.

In those games Tom Brady did the following;

2015 – 12/21 (57%) 134yds 0 TD 0 Int
2014 – 29/56 (51.7%) 249yds 1 TD 0 Int
2013 – 34/55 (61.8%) 364yds 2 TD 1 Int

Which Tom Brady (who is just 50% in games played in Miami in his career) do you think will show up for this weeks game?

How realistic a shot do you think the Dolphins have of pulling off a win this weekend?
Will we get to see a Suh/Wake sandwich similar to the Bryce Petty sandwich we saw in the Jet’s game in NY this year?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

ROCKPHIN

I don’t expect his stat line to really match any of those. I’m pretty sure Brady will only play the 1st half, and possibly even less. He won’t be throwing the ball all that much, and why should he? LeGarrette Blount, James White, Dion Lewis and probably any other RB on the game day roster will probably be trying to take advantage of our porous rush defense. Brady will carve us up a little taking what the LB’s give (which is too much), but he’s not going to have a gaudy stat line. My guess is Brady will be something like 10-12, 105 yards and 1 TD 0 INT’s. No way will there be a sandwich, because every throw he makes will be within 2 seconds, and neither of our guys will get there that quickly, they will be held, I mean blocked.

Now, as far as whether we can win or not, that depends on how close we can keep it in the 1st half against their starters. I would think some of our starters may play nearly an entire game, especially the secondary guys, not sure if we will have enough bodies to pull everyone. I would like to win, but more than anything, I want to not look like we were just going through the motions, and even more importantly, I want everyone to be healthy. I won’t be surprised if we lose by about 5, something like 28-23.
____________________________________________________

from Wyo

Q – So How Bout them Dolphins!!!!!!!!!!

I need them to have the #5 Seed to go to the Game in Houston!
Rhino too!
What do you think the odds are?

Don’t kill the messenger! Sorry Wyo, I don’t think it’s going to happen on a couple of fronts. First off, I don’t think the Chiefs are going to lose against San Diego. I also won’t be surprised if we come short against NE at home. I think it will be close, less than a TD, but I think the Patriots will win this one.

Now, regarding said Dolphins, they have given us much more than we expected, especially after starting out 1-4. What an amazing turnaround. It’s shocking really, and I’m not sure it has fully sunk in that we are a 10 win, possibly 11 win team that will be a worthy participant in the 2016 NFL Playoffs. WOW! I do hope I’m wrong on both counts, but I don’t think the Chargers can beat the Chiefs, especially if Melvin Gordon is held out due to injury.  Also, maybe the Dolphins under Adam Gase don’t like losing, and find a way to beat the Patriots. I’m expecting the 2nd half to have a pretty different cast of characters for both teams, but maybe Gase wants to keep the good mojo going, and doesn’t quite subscribe to that. I think there may actually be something to that, and I won’t be surprised if that happens. Also, keep in mind the Patriots do not have home field sewn up yet as the Raiders could still get it if they win and the Patriots lose. I believe the Raiders would win a tiebreaker against common opponents, even though their records would be identical at 13-3 and conference records as well at 10-2
____________________________________________________

from Ken

Q – Dr Mike will Tannehill play in the playoffs?

I’m going to stick with my original prediction made right after it happened, which was we will see Tannehill playing for us again this season. As of this writing, Tannehill is on a day-to-day basis, which is obviously better than a week-to-week basis. He’s not practicing as of yet, so there is no question that he will not play this week. I’m optimistic about him, I just think there’s some magic left for him. I think Tanny will begin practice next week, and will at least be in the conversation as to whether he plays or not. I think it’s possible that Moore still starts, but I won’t be surprised at all if Tannehill is active and is the 2nd QB for our playoff game. If Tanny is healthy enough to play, but isn’t as sharp as Moore, then I think the smart thing to do is stick with Moore, but it would be great to have Tanny available to go to rather than TJ Yates. Now, I hope Moore is good enough to get us through, because I wouldn’t want to rush Tanny back into action, but if we win, I really do believe that Tannehill will be ready for the next game, and then our young HC may have a tough decision on his hands in such a young career, but if Tanny is really ready, I think he’ll call on #17 to take us the rest of the way!   I was right that he wasn’t done for the year, and I think I’m going to be right that he plays again for us.  I hope it’s all for the good!
____________________________________________________

from OD

Q – MIKE: WHAT, in your opinion, is the #1 thing the Dolphins have to do to find success in the playoffs?

Regardless of who our QB is in the playoffs, we have to maintain a strong rushing attack. It’s not all on Ajayi either, we need the 5 guys up front to impose their will on the defense, and give Ajayi some creases to run through. He doesn’t even need a huge hole, because he runs so hard, a little contact isn’t bringing him down 9 out of 10 times. He just needs to enough room to get a little momentum going, and then he’s super dangerous. Once he’s through the line, he’s so hard to bring down. Most of his short runs are where he’s met at, or even behind the L.O.S., which understandably leads to busted run. Now this requires a healthy front 5, and a healthy Ajayi, as well as help from Drake and Williams. Add in TE’s Dion Sims and MarQueis Gray, as well as extra OL Sam Young. We need their blocking too.

Whether it’s Moore or Tannehill, they need to hit some big plays, and not turn the ball over. We’re doing very well staying ahead in the turnover battle, and I believe we need to continue in that fashion. On defense, and ST’s keep making that 1 or 2 big plays that change the game. I don’t think we’re good enough on offense or defense to have either unit completely break down.

I suspect we’ll still struggle some on defense against a strong running attack, and against a precision passing attack, but if we limit scoring as we have (bent but don’t break), we can win. I’m going to figure we’re going to be at Pittsburgh to face the Steelers at Heinz Field. Now normally, I’d say the Steelers would have a huge advantage in the cold, but i think our team can thrive in it as well. Of course, they’ll have their home crowd, but I think the climate won’t be a disadvantage to us as it may have been in the past.The way we play now, relying on our run game, we can take that anywhere (except maybe a really muddy field at the old OB) (Ask Freeman McNeil!!!) 🙂

This entry was posted in Ask Mike. Bookmark the permalink.

334 Responses to Ask Mike – 2016 Season Week 17

1. dcoralsprings says:

Playoff talk in December ….

What a great year this turned out to be
    GO PHINS !

2. 81Howie says:

Morning Update
    DOLPHINS-PATRIOTS
    Piggy 24-21 MIA
    Rhino 28-27 MIA
    Howie 31-24 MIA
    Rock 34-12 NE
    Pump 27-24 MIA
    B’man 34-31 MIA
    Herd 30-27 MIA
    Old 42-13 MIA
    FINS ARE FOR REAL!

35-28 NE
      Lord – Brady and Edelfucker just busted another nut thinking about a 10 yard crossing route against our LB’s! 😦

Great job MikeE

Ya I know Mike E
    One thing is good about it!
    you could do a commercial.
    Rhino, you just saved a bunch of money with Axe Mike!

Do you Resemble Flo? 😉

“I don’t expect his stat line to really match any of those. I’m pretty sure Brady will only play the 1st half, and possibly even less. ”
    Home field advantage will be on the line for them. You don’t think he will play more that that? I think we see him play most of the game, if not all of it. Additionally, the may not want to risk Garappolo’s draft stock with him having a poor performance (he did shred us earlier this season though)- It’s sky high right now.

Hey DCoral! Hell yeah buddy, this is great season, and I hope we continue to enjoy it!

Wyo

I hope I don’t look like Flo. I wish I had some of her energy though, this cold/flu is kicking my ass all week.

Bri

I do think he’ll play a half. I think BB thinks he can win with any QB, so I do think they pull Brady after the 1st half. I know that kind of contradicts itself, but I think BB would like to go into the playoffs with a healthy Tom Brady.

Bri

Just curious, if we play the Steelers, will you be able to watch the game with your friend?

• Brian in NY says:

My buddy is making a big push to go to the game…

My friend may have the best job in the world, seriously. He works for a hedge fund, and he and his friend from Goldman Sachs, work together in the coolest office with a pinball machine, flat screen TV’s, and no pressure. Besides that, the owner of the hedge fund is a great guy, and really treats them well, and also happens to be a huge Steelers fan. he has a box at Heinz, and has taken Scott for a few years to a game. Can’t say for sure if he’ll take him to a playoff game, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case.

Let me clarify, they worked together at Goldman Sachs and were both let go. Scott got this job, and took his friend Danny with him. They both get treated so well, it’s crazy.

Nice write up BTW Mike. I agree we will not do well against a strong run team (we aren’t going to all of the sudden develop into a stout run D in the playoffs), and need to keep the J-Train rolling. We can’t be forced into a situation where the opposing D can just pin their ears back and come after the QB.

nice job mike,
    I think the pats want to win this game. So unless it’s a blow out I think Brady will play the entire game.

Jimmy (1st and 4th RD picks) Garoppolo can’t get a win in the 2nd half against the Dolphins, even if it’s not a blowout, maybe a TD lead?

Nice job Mike E

Belicheat got all the praise with a 3-1 start, with 3 home games, but Gase gets nothing after getting 2+ wins with Moore to get into the playoffs with 2 road division games.

Gets nothing from who? National media? Fans? Local media? All of the above?

He doesn’t get the overall praise for what he’s done. Belicheat is a strong candidate for COY, because of the 3-1 start. Gase’s last 2+ games without RT exceed what the king cheat did.

If I were Belicheat I wouldn’t play Bray at all after watching that Bryce Petty clip

Seriously though – the cheats really don’t have so much to gain by playing for home field advantage

if Oakland wins in faunal week (big if) then the patriots need to win for home field advatantGeadvantage but the only game out of foxboro for them with the #2 seed is the afc champiion ship at Oakland, assuming Oakland makes it that far without Carr,

Garropolo ate us alive in the 1st matchup

And we are like the walking wounded they are playing a team at 100%

I think Mike may be right
    Frankly in surprised Brady is playing at all

I agree, and the Raiders won’t even be in the AFC Championship game, so their real issue is trying to avoid KC and Pitt.

And either one of those games will be in foxboro

So I would not risk brady

But Belicheat also throws the bAll 20
        Times in the 4th qtr when thy are up by 21 so…

We all give crap to Omar and Walker, when they make mistakes in articles. Mike, how hard is it to write a mistake free article? That Tenn vs KC is going to be a barn burner on Sunday😉

Steve

I don’t think BB is really the front runner. Jack Del Rio, maybe even Jason Garrett too, and of course Gase, but I doubt BB will win it.

Steve

It’s obviously harder than I thought it was. 😉

Truth be told, I feel like a shit, have for a week, and that might be part of the reason.

That was my point, we’re quick to show the mistakes, but forget the objective of the article, so we really appreciate what you do here. We just like to bust your balls a little bit🙃

Thanks Steve. I can take criticism, not great, not poorly, as good as most people can. It all depends on how it’s delivered for the most part.

Good job Mike E. Sorry you’re not feeling well. My sister was sick at Christmas, sounds like the same type of thing. I want no part of it.

20. Phindog says:

Nice write Mike E.. Hope you feel better !!

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 17s17 seconds ago
    Vance Joseph was asked if the poor defensive stats should be thrown out the window because they’re winning. “No. You can keep them all.”

The entire secondary is out

1 freaking starter

Mike E:
    I too feel like crap. Damn holiday cold. All the relatives and their kids so now my son and I are sick

It sounds like the steelers are resting many of their starters this week against the browns. I guess we’ll see if that’s smart in 2 weeks.

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 32m32 minutes ago
    Christensen said the run blocking “just looked different” vs. Buffalo than it had in prior weeks. Came off the football better.

I think I really like this one!

25: R1P25 LB REUBEN FOSTER, ALABAMA
    57: R2P25 C ETHAN POCIC, LSU
    98: R3P34 EDGE TYQUAN LEWIS, OHIO STATE
    166: R5P24 TE JEREMY SPRINKLE, ARKANSAS
    176: R5P34 G GREG PYKE, GEORGIA
    204: R6P25 CB JEREMY CUTRER, MIDDLE TENNESSEE
    243: R7P25 WR KD CANNON, BAYLOR

Thanks Herd, Doggy! I just hope I’m better for New Years Eve.

Ken, hope you feel better too Hulk. Hulk smash illness!

December 29, 2016 at 11:50 am
    Lippett and Howard are the starting CBs now

——————-

Howard got burnt bad last week.

He gave up a TD pass but his coverage was good it was just good throw. Most of our coverage issues last week was exploiting the safeties in the cover 2 scheme we were running

Let the Rumor train get out of the station!!!!

I just think we need to be cautious with Tanny

I agree, and I’m sure we will. I don’t think they’re going to play him if he’s not able to do what he can do. I don’t think they’ll leave him as a sitting duck. He has to be at least 85%, or just let Moore play

On the TD pass that Howard got burnt on, it looked like we were playing a short zone, not expecting Taylor to throw over the top. Sure enough, Watkins blasted downfield, and Taylor made a great throw. Howard wasn’t going to stop that even if it was just a decent throw, he was caught with his pants down. It happens. I’ll take Howard starting on my team any day.

It didn’t look like Tanny was practicing.

Just out there moving around, getting in the way! 😉

WTF is wrong with these people?

36. 81Howie says:

Bo said it was us that ruined NE’s homefield last year and they ended up lossing @ Broncos, so expect them not to take this one lightly.
    Unless of course the are up 40-10 by half time.
    GO PHINS!!!

Howie
    19-17MIA

No Mike it doesn’t matter

but fuck the Patriots….lol

howie,
    28 – 17 pats

You humans may have a feeling that the Dolphins lose this weekend

but I have a feeling Tom Brady steps on a rake before the game
    causing it to spring up and hit him in the face (like a cartoon)
    and we win on New Year’s Day

so I see your feeling and raise it a cartoon mishap

December 29, 2016 at 12:52 pm

—————————
    He essentially gave up one to Clay also (he was on the coverage). There were multiple times I saw him getting burnt like toast. I don’t have the game to watch it all again though.

Lol i was talking away on that last blog and just thought maybe everyone was getting in their forearm workout scrolling past my posts. Ill copy them here i guess so you guys can get some exercise.

steveccnv says:
    December 28, 2016 at 11:22 pm

It’s really hard to scout based on highlights, where inconsistencies don’t come into play.
    ———————————————————
    D says:
    December 29, 2016 at 1:00 pm

I look at highlight compilations for two reasons. First one is to see the explosive nature of the player. Those are suppose to be their best plays and if they arent really impressive, then it actually makes me less likely to look deeper. The second reason is, on those explosive plays, was their key contribution to him being able to make that happen. I dont expect a player to do everything on his own, but knowing that they can make things happen, when everything isnt perfect, helps oyu know if that player elevates the level of play or if you have to be perfect for you to get the player as advertised.

I actually really critque a highlight compilation, in a more critical way than i do the regular game films, simply because if someone says, this is them at their best, it damn sure better be impressive.

D says:
    December 29, 2016 at 1:03 pm

I like Jeremy Sprinkle the best becaue he is solid in every aspect a TE is expected to be good in. I think Hunter Henry was a better prospect, infact i dont know that i have seen a better prospect since Jason Witten, in Hunter Henry. That said Sprinkle to me is like a combination of Antonio Gates and Martellus Bennett.

D says:
    December 29, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Jake Butt is going to be an OK TE between the 20’s but inside the 20’s he is going to really make his money. He is an incredible RZ TE.

were you posting on the wrong blog?…..lol

Sprinkle looks like a really balanced TE
      Sims and Sprinkle in a 2 TE set would probably really give us a dominant running game and also be productive in the air

Jake Butt seems like a great redzone threat – I agree. I’ve seen him compared to Zack Miller. I’m going to make a Tyler Eiffert comparison

D says:
    December 29, 2016 at 1:07 pm

BTW dont sleep on Gerald Everett from South Alabam, he is going to be more Charles Clay, or maybe Hernandez (minus the murder), but he is going to a tough dude to effectively cover with a LB. He is a mismatch guy. He probably has to be in the right system for him, and he might be more situation TE than every down guy, but he will be an almost instant contributor i think,/

I don’t take my “scouting” skills too seriously

Highlights to me are just about creating excitement
    its just fun

I dont take my scouting skills seriously, but i do take digging into a prospect enough to feel confidant he is a good potential selection for us seriously. I also like to know about all the players available because it makes me feel better to know the draft can fall however it does and we still can walk away with good selections.

Naples, ii dont really think much of Hodges. If i took the guys you had put in order, id probably have them Sprinkle, Howard, Butt, Legett and then Hodges. I also probably am looking at them i different ways too, as i am looking for all around TE skills set as my criteria and you may be more focused on receiving ability as a primary.

To answer your other question, we have a 3rd IF we get one as a compensatory pick for Vernon, which we should. So our third round pick will probably be pick 33 or 34 of that round. We will also have a 4th IF we get a compensatory pick for that round for Miller. Some argue we would get a 5th not a 4th, but i feel pretty good about us getting a 4th and i think, because of the way that they structured the trade, our FO feels confidant in that as well. If we do get a compensatory 4th, then we keep our regular 4th round selection and only give up the compensatory 4th. If we dont, we lose our 4th round selection as part of the trade.

Damn D, you must be getting old or something . . . .

Sorry Vinnie I didn’t see it the way you do. What I saw was the Bills attacking the soft spot in the cover 2 where the CB hands off coverage to the S. That is exactly what happened on the Clay TD

54. naplesfan2010 says:

In FA
    should we sign Nick Perry as an edge rusher if GB can’t?
    Might free up a draft spot for one of those shiny TEs.

I tend to think we should be able to nab a quality TE in the 3rd or 4th round

How many TEs are going to go in the first 75 picks

last year only 1 went in the first 75
      2015 – 2 TEs went in the first 75
      2014 – 5
      2013 – 5
      2012 – 2

just to give you some perspective on when TEs are usually selected
      I think we are Probably closer to the 2013-2014 this years

So if you have a top 7, like I do….lol
      that means you can land one without using a 1st or 2nd round pick

• naplesfan2010 says:

Oh I Definitely do not want to lose a chance at a first round MLB/ILB and/or DE just to get a TE.

All CBs get burned

I think its the hardest position in football

Watkins had a great game last week
    but we were already ahead when he really took off

If you keep throwing at guys they will catch some
    it doesn’t mean we are vulnerable that way as a whole

between Maxwell, Howard and Lippett I think we have a nice trio
    none of those guys will be the nickel
    but I think all of them do a good job as a whole

56. naplesfan2010 says:

I do NOT want to draft a CB next year.
    Or RB or QB or OT or DT or P or K or LS or KR.
    I would only draft WR if we lose Kenny.

57. naplesfan2010 says:

However, if there is a high quality nickelback (DB to cover the slot) then I might be persuaded to get some competition for McCain. I think he is still developing though, so I am not ready to give up Bobby.

58. naplesfan2010 says:

I think it is a really good yr for LB and DE this year and TE also, so if we just want to load up on those I am good with that.

Go Mr. Wake!!!!!!!

61. naplesfan2010 says:

Watkins made an All-Pro type catch on the TD. Our DB was in good coverage position.
    On the one where Rambo appeared to be late getting over, or that Howard turned him loose too early, I do think those two players have had limited time on the field together, esp. in that form of Cover 2 we were in, and that might have been the first time they ever saw that and just did not have the communication in place to adjust to that at NFL game day speed.
    Rambo needed to tell X that there was another WR ready to go deep in the middle and that X should not release his man prematurely. Or X needed to notice that. Neither took care of it.

63. naplesfan2010 says:

There are still a few DEs and LBs and TEs who I have seen mentioned on here who have not actually declared for the draft yet. They might not be available, although the intel on this board is primo, so you guys probably know more than Walter football and certainly more than ESPN.

Got him a 2-for

Yeah WY
    I agree
    Im surprised BB doesn’t just announce TOm Brady retires before the games each week…lol

• naplesfan2010 says:

I agree with y’all about LadyBoy, but this year I think it is more real, as the man is getting older and older and some day (SOON) he is going to start showing his age. Plus he has gotten beaten up more the last two years than in the past due to OL problems.

Maybe we get one of the TE’s to spear Hightower in the knee on the first play!!!!

Or do the Replacements on their ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoops didn’t see the video change!

This one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken says:
    December 29, 2016 at 11:50 am

Lippett and Howard are the starting CBs now

AND THE FUTURE!!

67. naplesfan2010 says:

Glad to see Kiko not on the injury list.
    Was scared we would be without all 3 starting LBs and 3 out of 4 starting DBs.
    On offense we are without our starting RB, QB, TE, and C.
    That is 9 starters out, 10 ( 45% of the team) if you are including Mario Williams.
    (from those who began the year on the first 22)

Maybe you have the Italian flu? you feel like a shit? What does that a mean? That you want a to take a shit?

Whoops didn’t see the video change!

This one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 29, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Thanks Herd, Doggy! I just hope I’m better for New Years Eve.

Ken, hope you feel better too Hulk. Hulk smash illness!

See that’s the problem. Hulk is immune to illnesses. Dr. Banner? Not so much. The Dolphins need to lose bad to the Pats this week to make the Hulk come out and then Ken’s cold will be cured! (I hope Ken just continues to suffer, sorry buddy)

MarQueis Gray ‏@MarQueisG 59m59 minutes ago
    Finally got a place to call home for the next 2years!! ✍🏾📑 I’m back! 🙏🏾 That much sweeter when… https://www.instagram.com/p/BOnVbygB8iH/

73. naplesfan2010 says:

and in a related event to the TE signing, Forget Sprinkles who just got nabbed shoplifting from a Belk store before playing in the Belk bowl. What a cretin!!!!

Rock

It seems like every now and again I a become Italian

I saw some plays where they caught us in between zone coverage, but i saw a few times that we had the soft spot because the LB’s, were not getting their reads right pre or post snap and were a couple steps forward in their zone and created that soft spot. Had they stayed back and been at least better post snap in determining it was run or pass, then they could have stopped those receptions. So i kinda agree with you Ken but i also think the LB’s really caused some of those gaps. Our safeties didnt have a spectacular game either for that matter, so between the two of them we gave up some big plays.

Howard did have some blown coverages, bit on double moves, or just got washed out when Watkins kicked it in gear. Watkins does this to a lot of guys, in cluding guys who are suppose to be off man specialist *cough* Grimes *cough*. I said this after the Jets game, he still is learning and he made rookie mistakes both Jets and Bills. The main difference is with the good ability to recover, he was able to get back and get a PD in the jets game and Tyrod Taylor’s throws were more stright line and had zip that Petty’s didnt. He didnt have the chance to recover and make a play on the ball. I think he has shown some really good skills, and he has shown he is a rookie. I think the mistakes he made, are something that will work themselves out, and the positive things i saw are fairly elite level skills that should make him better than average once he figures the rest out.

TE draft class is pretty good this year there should be good quality in the 3rd, and still pretty decent talent 4-5th. Id target a guy in the 2nd-3rd though if you really are wanting a feature weapon at the position. If you want a supplement to your offense, 4th and 4th would net you some solid candidate like Gerald Everett, or Cole Hikutini, or Michael Robetrs. Id be happy with any of these guys.

That move signing Gray i think was a great move. The guy has played pretty well, and come up big in a couple games. He also has been a baller on ST’s.

Probably also sets the tone for Sims re-sign. If negotiations dont go well they can draft an equivalent player in the draft, but maybe they can get that deal done too because it would be nice to have Sims opposite someone like Sprinkle or even that Roberts guy i mentioned just above.

Im not taking Sprikle off my list because of a shoplifting offense. Stupid yes, but it isnt a sign that he is undraftable by a long shot.

We drafted a guy who was masked up like a reverse SWAT officer (smoke on the inside not out) and we are going to say, forget Sprikle because he shoplifted lol. Stupid kids do stupid things.

If Jaemis Winston can have 2 rape allegations against him as well as caught stinky handed stealing crab legs and still go number 1 overall im not seeing shopligting from a department store moving Sprinkle down the draft order

79. naplesfan2010 says:

I’m not drafting a criminal onto my team, and I hope Gase won’t either. I would hate to have to make excuses for that all the time and never be able to root for Sprinks with a clear conscience.

I would hate it if Winston was my team’s QB, although the truth is that that particular Publix is known for allowing Seminole players liberties with complimentary snacks. There were several hidden issues in that case that i know about.

PS: In Tunsil’s case, I have no problem whatsoever with a guy smoking weed. That is not a crime. But stealing is.

Now I just want to here we signed Jason Jones to an extension!

81. naplesfan2010 says:

So Sprinkie couldn’t add fast or something? This is not as bad as plain stealing.

D:
    Poor LB was definitely a problem last week too

Something doesn’t add up in the Sprinkle story 😆

Interesting with all the TE talk- we just signed Gray to a two year extension.

I’m not sure you can count on Sprinkle.

86. 81Howie says:

Old 42-13 MIA
    Wyo 35-28 NE
    MikeE 30-24 NE
    Naples 19-17MIA
    Bold 28-17 MIA
    FINS ARE FOR REAL!

He wanted his ice cream, but didn’t want to pay for the sprinkles!

Sprinkle has the ultimate team mentality: The sum is greater than the parts

People are fucking with Mondo about TaNny “practicing”
    LMAO

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 22m22 minutes ago
    Ryan Tannehill did NOT practice today. He was at practice. He did not practice at all, regardless what ESPN bottom line says.

Sprinkle’s favorite expression: Let me sum up.

Sprinkle’s second favorite phrase: All things being equal

They asked Sprinkle to run a 9 route but he went 10 instead

93. The “hot” name at TE these days seems to be David Njoku.

94. SportsChannel8 ‏@SportsChannel8 3h
    3 hours ago

Arkansas’ Jeremy Sprinkle is suspended for trying to shoplift from Belk at the Belk Bowl where the bowl gift is a gift card to Belk.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Not a gas mask but it’ll do

95. Jahndoh30 says:

I confess I haven’t read a single comment from this ask Mike, but I did read the article (nicely done Miguel)

That said, I think it deserves some contemplation at least, that San Diego is playing it’s last game at Qualcom (at least it’s players view it that way) and that team DOES have talent. KC is no juggernaut, and I don’t think the 5 seed is as out of reach as our venerable article writer does. 😛

• yeah, but they’re missing about 17 starters.

• Jahndoh30 says:

I confess I didn’t read their injury report, but give me the real number, instead of hyperbole, it doesn’t inform me at all.

• yes, I was being facetious but they lost Allen, Woodhead and T’eo for the season early on and they’re missing other contributors as well. Kenneth Farrow was the 4th rb to go on I/R this season and the total # of players on I/R is 17 including Caraun Reid, Jeremiah Attachou, Brandon Oliver & Dexter McCluster & Jason Verrett is out and expected to have knee surgery and will probably go on I/R and Perryman is doubtful for this next game.
        they are a talented team but they’ve got way too many injuries to take this next game

San Diego’s coach is dead man walking

• Jahndoh30 says:

Pride in final games has nothing to do with who the coach is. It’s about professionals who want to go out a certain way. Pride is perhaps the most powerful motivator of all.

They could just as easily have quite on the season and not really care what happens in the final game

• Jahndoh30 says:

So your possibility is more of a certainty? Come on man.

• Jahndoh30 says:

Gotta say, after all we’ve seen this season, starting 1-4 and making the playoffs, countless improbably comebacks, sustaining injury after injury, and yet some of you can be 100% certain about the outcome of a game involving two teams you don’t really even follow. LOL…

96. Jahndoh30 says:

Ok, now I’ve read a couple responses, and I also want to point out that the damage done to our defenses vs. buffalo (and several other teams this season) came almost exclusively on the flats. Crossing patterns isn’t the magic elixir vs. this defense, it’s using the entire horizontal stretch of the field against LBs who can’t quite get to the edge when the ball moves that way.

Jahn

If Melvin Gordon sits, which may be the case, it’s going to be hard for the Chargers to beat the Chiefs. It also looks like 2 of their starting OL may be out, King Dunlap and Orlando Franklin. Doesn’t mean they can’t win, but I’d pick KC in that one.

98. 81Howie says:

He is not practicing, Gase said it himself today…
    Just keep his arm loose.
    At this point I am not expecting Tanny to come back at all, even if we get past Pittsburgh.
    He said they dont want to risk his career or even having him back next season.
    DONT DO IT!
    WE’RE GOOD!

99. Jahndoh30 says:

Mike,
    Gordon is 3 yards shy of 1000 playing his last game in SD. He may take a single hand off and sit, but I doubt it. He’ll play. Betcha.

Gates is a single TD shy of tying Gonzales on the all time TE list. He’s played his whole career in SD, he’s gonna want to win.

Rivers is still Rivers. We’ll see about the OL issues.

I admit you could be right, and I wouldn’t even BET on the Chargers, but all I said was I’m not so convinced we can’t get the 5th seed. Many others have actually advocated giving up on that possibility. I’m not, I think anything can, and has happened this season.

Jahn

How’s the brewery doing? (Silly question) I know it’s kicking ass, right? 🙂

Sorry Jahn I think the Chargers are going to get killed. They look like a team that has quit and the Chiefs look like they think they have a shot at the division

I just made more eggnog with my friends. Had to make sure I had plenty to last me through our SB run.

Go Dolphins!!!

MIKE E: More excellent work, as usual. Thanks for answering my question in a thoughtful manner. One problem we avoided vs. Beefalo was killer penalties. We can NOT commit 10+ penalties and expect to win close games.

But, against New England, that WON’T be a problem.
    WE ARE GOING TO CRUSH THE CHEATS 42-13!!

I hope your brother in law goes out with the bang you are predicting he’s earned that kind of send off. That’s quite a run he’s had.

104. Dolphins contingent is on hand at the Arkansas-VA Tech matchup.

Jahn I hope you’re right about the chargers like you were about Kendricks I want us in the 5 spot so we have Wyo and Rhino there representing us.

I am with Jahn, I think the Chargers can beat the Chiefs.

Man that Arkansas qb has a gun

I think everybody loses this weekend.

This is awesome

I don’t know if the Dolphins beat the Cheats
    I don’t know if the chargers beat the chiefs
    I don’t know if we win in the playoffs
    I don’t know if the another celebrity will die before the new year

But I know this

(Piggy stands on a mountain top and looks to the clouds)

Pork

…just Pork

(Piggy throws his pants off the mountain)

Remember when Mick was dying and Rocky was crying out “we got more to do, we got more to do”, Glenn Frey is the one that hit me like that this year

Last year we played SD in what was billed as the last game in SD, and the atmosphere and their play reflected it.

This Colorado qb is a big strong armed kid too, looks like Sam Bradford with the 25 pounds he needs

Night time fliers feel their pains
    Drug stores take down the chains…

RIP Lavell Edwards

116. naplesfan2010 says:

I just heard Debby Reynolds also died the next day after her daughter Carrie Fisher. Is this correct? That is really sad.

Great job as usghe Mike E.

I would hope we dont play RT or even dress him this week.. next week however , if he is able i want him starting, ya ain’t guaranteed to get to the dance ever, so again IF HEALTHY

Bookman : i am going with the fired up , fired coach team this week in the final week of Survivor … Bills over Jets

6 people left only me and 1 other can pick Bills .. if all six tie its 675.00 each .. if sole survivor its 4040.00. Lotta who knows games this week.

Metal motion comes in bursts
    But the gas station can quench that thirst

Lets continue our Hurt the QB every week strategy this week. Even if we dont win we can set ourselves up by taking that little bitch down .. would LOVE to be #5 seed , id even let Moore have that game against Houston then bring in RT IF HEALTHY for round 2

Go FINS !!!!!

Happy New Year to you too Toba
    We might get in the high forties tonight

I saw a comment that though might be seen as insensitive to some probably would have been laughed at by Carrie Fisher herself, but if you know the always tongue and cheek way Carrie always described her mother as always upstaging her or stealing the limelight. It looks now that Debbie Reynolds actually got thee ultimate and final upstage

We are in the thirties here

Btw the Arkansas QB is the brother of last year’s starter, a guy a few of us here were interested as a possible backup draftee. He does have better arm strength but his brother was a better passer. Better accuracy, timing and seemed to read the defense better. The younger brother might improve in those areas but as a here and now comparison, I think we are better off with Doughty

125. 81Howie says:

Wyo 35-28 NE
    MikeE 30-24 NE
    Naples 19-17MIA
    Bold 28-17 NE
    Toba 21-20 MIA
    FINS ARE FOR REAL!

son of a son of a shula says:
    December 29, 2016 at 11:44 pm
    Happy New Year to you too Toba
    Does Canada celebrate it earlier than the rest of the world?

The Miami Dolphins have won every game this year where Jay Ajayi has had 16 or more carries. POUND THE BALL GASE! Run it, run it again, and then run it some more. When they are set up to try and stop the run hit them with the deep play action…..then run it some more!

December 30, 2016 at 8:49 am

Yes, on the Canadian Calendar, yesterday was December 32nd. Today is the Canadian New Year.

Can I have Idiots for $400.00 please Alex?

December 32nd?? You know NOTHING about the Canadian Calendar! SMH

Yesterday was November 59th!

Pork

I finally caved and went to an InstaCare place. Upper respiratory infection. Worst part, he told me I may have another week of this shit. It’s been a week plus already. Oh well 😦

Wyo

Any pics of them with their fins gear off? 😀

I’d like to see them with their Dolphins gear on…..ON MY FLOOR!

136. Jahndoh30 says:

Stoked I could win a few over to the side of hopefulness if nothing else (SD vs. KC). To those I couldn’t convince, I admit it’s a longshot, I just think it’s reasonably possible, and yeah, I want Wyo and Rhino to get to represent!

Mike E…Brewery is great. I took 3 days off last week going into Christmas, which by definition means I’m slammed the week before I leave and the week I get back. Good problem to have though. I tell our customers, you keep drinking it, I’ll keep making it! I’m having a lot of fun with this. Balancing the family/work life is the hardest part. My 2017 resolution is to schedule make more family time!

137. Jahndoh30 says:

Mike,

I’m right there with ya with the sickness. Get well soon brothah. I’ve been very lucky to be extremely healthy all year, so 2016 is taking one more shot at me I guess.

Screw 2106 in the ass running! Good riddance!

This explains why the Patriots have the #1 defense in the league this season. (scoring)

The Patriot’s numbers on defense thjs season are outstanding. The group ranks first in points allowed and eighth in yards. The unit has also benefited from playing a lot of offensively challenged opponents. They’ve played against the 32nd, 31st, 29th, 28th, 27th, 25th and 22nd rated offenses, in some cases twice. Only Pittsburgh and Arizona rank in the top 10 and the Steelers were without Ben Roethlisberger when the Patriots faced them. So the Patriots defense has done a great job against a lot of bad offenses

140. Realist says:

Howie… 37 – 17 NE

I’ll go with 29-27 MIA.

142. Jahndoh30 says:

@ Steveccnv….
    It’s really expensive to open a brewery in Santa Barbara (as you can guess) so the monetary benefit is a delayed gratification thing. I took a pretty good pay cut to come do this, but I do get a paycheck and I can at least pay the bills.

I see the hours as an investment in the value of the business, and my ownership stake as the (eventual, hopefully) monetary reward that is yet to come.

Thanks Jahn!
    All we can do now is Beat the living shit out of Brady!
    And let the chips fall! 🙂

Jahndoh30 says:

December 30, 2016 at 1:05 pm (Edit)

Mike,

*****************************
    Feel better Jahn!

Funny, it’s the same for me, I’ve been good all year, and now this is dragging on me for a week plus. It could certainly be worse, so I’ll deal with it. Happy New Year and all the best to you and your family

PS – Glad the brewery is doing well, and YES, make more time for your family dammit! No matter how well the brewery does, you’ll regret it, so DO IT!

2106 was brutal

Teleportation isn’t what is used to be
    I can’t believe they charge extra for each bag now

This guy earns a look as a 2017 samurai based on inappropriate humor alone

Steely Dan Aja, now that’s some good stuff right there . . .

Aja just played on my iPod. Yes, that is a great album

Larry Carlton’s guitar playing is sweet all over the album. Other Steely Dan albums as well.

I actually never really looked at who did what, I remember hearing they always had different studio musicians. I guess I thought they didn’t have any regulars in their “band”.

They did have many guitarists over the years but Carlton became a fav at one point. Walter Becker also plays a lot of guitar obviously.

Albums Carlton played on.
        1975 Katy Lied
        1976 The Royal Scam
        1977 Aja
        1980 Gaucho

Thanks Tim – Now I’m a little more educated on a group I really like.

Elliot Randall played on almost every album also. He played on Reeling in the years and many other songs too.

Mike , Brooklyn owns the charmer is a great song

Yes! It was reported that Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page said Randall’s solo on “Reelin’ in the Years” is his favorite guitar solo of all-time. Makes sense, it’s the same approach Jimmy took.

Denny Dias plays the solo on “Do It Again”.

Like I said they had a lot of guitar players over the years including Rick Derringer and Jeff “Skunk” Baxter also with The Doobie Brothers. Oh yeah Michael McDonald played with both as well. 🙂

Larry Carlton

Tim, in concert Becker shreds on almost every song

He’s a great musician and player. It’s him and Fagan that make Steely Dan.

I always wondered about his role because they always list different guys as lead guitarist like Randall and Carlto among others but when you see them live it’s him playing everything and the lead works his way in.

Jahn your beer is incredible you’ll get the payoff I have no doubt.

Holly Holy blasting right now

Hey conta libre…

Son

Not familiar with that song, gotta check it out!

25: R1P25 LB ZACH CUNNINGHAM VANDERBILT
    57: R2P25 C PAT ELFLEIN OHIO STATE
    98: R3P34 EDGE JORDAN WILLIS KANSAS STATE
    166: R5P24 CB ED PARIS LSU
    176: R5P34 TE JEREMY SPRINKLE ARKANSAS
    204: R6P25 WR DAMORE’EA STRINGFELLOW OLE MISS
    243: R7P25 S WESTON STEELHAMMER AIR FORCE

Son, Becker is a writer with Fagan, he plays rhythm guitar and bass with Fagan on keys and vocals. They would hire studio guitar soloists, drummers, vocalists etc. Think of Becker as the “John Paul Jones” of Steely Dan. Their albums were very studio driven with complex arrangements. They’re not the most dynamic personalities on stage even though Fagan is kind of funny. He reminds me of Mel Brooks in a way. LOL

158. 81Howie says:

Naples 19-17MIA
    Bold 28-17 NE
    Toba 21-20 MIA
    Real 31-17 NE
    Tim 29-27 MIA
    FINS ARE FOR REAL!

My approach for this game would be anyone who can play without struggle plays and that’s it. Anyone who should have a week off should get a week off as this game does matter that much to us, we’re on the road regardless. It means more to the Pats for #1 overall.. But that doesn’t mean lie down. That’s not a good way to head into the postseason.

I’m not familiar with old people music

161. 81Howie says:

Every time I am sitting in the garage on Saturdays blasting my music and I put on my Best of Steely Dan album I turn it off after about 4 or 5 songs and say this is lame…
    Back in the 70’s I dig the hell out of them but now I cant waste my only day mellowing out to them.
    Got me some Foghat lined up for tomorrow
    Bodisahtva 🙂

• naplesfan2010 says:

Love Foghat and yes I agree Steely was always too mellow for me.
      Listening to Women from Tokyo right now tho.
      (Just listening Herd, just listenin’)

162. naplesfan2010 says:

“We are 10-0 when Wake gets a sack
    and 0-5 when he is held so often that he cannot get a sack. ”
    There I fixed it for them.

Demarcus walker always seems to make big plays

Would be a great addition for us in the 2nd round

Foster/Cunningham in 1st
    Walker in the 2nd

That would be nice

I wish peppers was playing

165. Mike McCoy will be let go after this week’s game. It’s going to be tough for those Chargers to get motivated to win this one.

Fisher, McCoy and Philbin were the main three in 2012 right?

The Chargers have plenty to be motivated by. Last game in SD. last year against us it was supposed to be their last game in SD. I went to the game, it was a madhouse, Chargers played out of their minds. If the players like a coach, they’ll give it their all, but not sure how they feel about him.

166. R1P25: Taco Charlton, DE, Mich, R2P25/57: Dorian Johnson, G, Pitt, R3P24/98: Micah Kiser, LB, UVA, R5P24/166:Marquel Lee,LB Wake Forest, R5,P34/176: Jamaal Williams, RB, BYU, R6P25/204: Ejuan Price, LB, Pitt, R7P25/243: Deatrich Wise, DE, Ark

25: R1P25

Naples 19-17MIA
    Bold 28-17 NE
    Toba 21-20 MIA
    Real 31-17 NE
    Tim 29-27 MIA
    FINS ARE FOR REAL!

Bri – You just stole Realist’s score.

Nines is a Dolfan

Dolfans are winners

Wow the Dolphins have one more game left and they already made the playoffs. Am I dreaming or is this real? 🙂

I remember New Years Eve when I was young, basically centuries ago, when I was between 16-23, I wanted to do the best thing, whatever that was for New Years. My son is going to a party with his friend and his girlfriend, and he really wants his best friend to go too, but he has a girlfriend, and he decided they’re not going to the party, they’re just going to bang all night. (BTW, SHE told my son’s friend that, I want to bang all night) My son is disappointed, and that cracks me up! It’s so funny to me. 🙂

174. 81Howie says:

What do these kids mean by Bang all night?
    I know what it meant way, way back when we where that age.

175. 81Howie says:

I met a guy from NE at Walmart today, I guess he was alright… He really wanted to go down to the game but his wife thought it was to much of a trip for the last game of the season. Me and him both knew better that this was still going to be a whale of a game…
    Anyway he really likes MM and our chances

All aqua tomorrow

I met a Patriots fan at Walmart too Howie

I shanked him in the kidneys

I admire your self control though

Have a Happy New Year everyone! Be safe and enjoy!

179. 81Howie says:

I suppose he could not upset me. He said nothing about how great the Patriots are. Just a couple of praises about what the FINS are doing. He must know that there time is about to expire.
    I do think I caught an evil eye though on the way down from the coffee creamer so I gave him one back!

180. 81Howie says:

Bold 28-17 NE
    Toba 21-20 MIA
    Real 31-17 NE
    Tim 29-27 MIA
    BriNY 31-17 NE
    FINS ARE FOR REAL!

Thanks man – Happy New Year to you and your family! Hope it’s a much sweeter year for you guys.

182. I’d like nothing better than for us to beat NE and SD to win tomorrow but when it comes to SD and trying to overcome the number of injuries they have on their team it’s not going to happen.
    Add to the fact they don’t have the coaching we have and it’s a done deal. If they had coaches like the Phins they’ve have a fighting chance but they don’t.

183. Jahndoh30 says:

I think this is an important game as the dream of making a Superbowl by beating both Roethlisberger and Brady on the road is the farthest fetched dream. Savage and Brady seems a little more likely.

We’re in the playoffs, so I am allowing myself to think about the Super Bowl….

Happy New Year!

184. naplesfan2010 says:

I hear where the 9ers are expected to fire Chip Kelley. Good. I hate that guy. He is not a nice person.

BOTH THE BIG TEN AND THE PAC-12 failed miserably in today’s semi-finals. ADD Michigan’s loss to Florida State in the Orange Bowl and you come up with one word for that conference – – “OVER RATED.” Now I know some Penn Staters will say they should have been in the Final 4.–My response is “any team that loses by about 40 points to Michigan DOESN’T BELONG IN THE FINAL 4!!!”

Tomorrows’ Rose Bowl pits a Southern Cal team that lost by about 50 points to ALABAMA versus a Penn State team that lost by about 40 points to Michigan. Pardon me if I YAWN!!! – – CLEARLY, the two best teams are, for the second year in a row, ALABAMA and CLEMSON. –And the PAC-12, BIG 10 and the BIG-12 still have a ways to go to catch up with the SEC and the ACC.
    —————————
    JAHNDOH; I believe YOU are the first poster I saw who mentioned the Dolphins and the upcoming Super Bowl in the same post!! Like you, I WANT TO BELIEVE that we DO have a shot! (The LAS VEGAS odds on Miami winning the Super Bowl were 80-1 yesterday!!) NO DOUBT Rodney Harrison and virtually all the so-called “experts” would fall down laughing at the very thought of Miami lifting the Lombardi Trophy in early February!! But if the Fins WIN their wild card round game, and Tannehill becomes available in the second round, I wonder how many of these same guys will be laughing then?? If Tanny and Maxwell are a “GO” for the second round, we DO have a shot against anyone.

BUT as GASE might say, “Let’s focus on the New England game and ONLY the New England game THIS WEEK!” It has worked so far! GOOO-O-O FINS!!

Happy 2017 East Coast F ers