Happy New Year Dolphins Fans

Happy New Year 2019 with colorful fireworks

Well, 2018 wasn’t a great season for the Miami Dolphins. I believe to most of us, a change was more than welcome, and the Miami Dolphins owner Steve Ross did not disappoint. Apparently, he’s as displeased with the teams performance as we are, and change was a necessity. The Adam Gase era is now over, lasting only 3 seasons in Miami. The offensive minded coach was expected to bring the Dolphins to new heights, but instead it was new lows. The Dolphins offense finished the season ranked #31 of 32 teams in total yards per game at just under 299 yards per game. #26 in scoring at 19.9 PPG. At 7-9, the Dolphins ended up with a -114 point differential. It’s kind of amazing that we were 7-9 considering how awful and inept we were on both sides of the ball.

The good news – Not only is Adam Gase removed as HC, Dowell Loggains is gone as OC, and Matt Burke also gone as DC.

More good news – Mike Tannenbaum is demoted from VP of Football Operations, and GM Chris Grier now absorbs that title.

GM Chris Grier has already begun the search for a new Head Coach. Rumors are flying around, and it’s difficult to really believe a lot of what is said, so take caution in what you start to fall for. Is John Harbaugh really going to leave the Baltimore Ravens? Is Jim Harbaugh going to leave the college ranks and leave Michigan to break his back again working 20 hour days during the NFL season? Is foot-loving Rex Ryan going to land feet first in Miami? We don’t really know, but it sure is fun to speculate.

The thing that makes me most happy about this transition is Chris Grier is speaking music to my ears. He says he wants to build a team, not try for the quick fix. (Check!)

Grier says we will not be big spenders in Free Agency, especially on veteran players, it would only be on young players, and no overspending. (Check!)

Really, that’s all I can ask for. A plan that can bring the Miami Dolphins to a point where winning is sustainable and consistent. Of course, it’s just a plan, and as we know the plan still has to be executed, and executed well. Regardless, I’m happy, very happy with the entire philosophy. It’s precisely where I think this team should be heading.

As of the moment, we do know the Miami Dolphins have asked the Bears permission to interview their DC Vic Fangio. Fangio is a long time NFL defensive coach, since 1995, first with the Carolina Panthers, the Indianapolis Colts, The Houston Texans, San Francisco 49ers and then of course the Chicago Bears. The Bears lead the NFL allowing only 17.7 PPG, astounding in this new era of high scoring affairs. Personnel always has something to do with it, and the Bears trading for Khalil Mack had a huge impact on the defense.

Other names that will be bandied about are Mike McCarthy, Bruce Arians, Urban Meyer, Eric Bieniemy, Mike Munchak, Rex Ryan and more . . .

When Chris Grier makes his decision, I hope that the Head Coach chosen share many of the same philosophies and visions for the team, and then are able to fill out their staff with qualified coordinators. I truly hope that ST’s coordinator Darren Rizzi is still part of our team. Special teams has been an excellent unit here, and that’s all due to Rizzi, so I hope he’s being considered.

Here’s to hoping that we finally got this right, and Dolphins fans everywhere can enjoy competitive football for many years to come. As I’ve said in other articles, taking a step or two backwards is a necessary part of rebuilding, and I’m willing to take those lumps. A 3-13 or 4-12 season will bring better things for 2020, when some serious QB talent is expected to be available. That doesn’t mean I think we shouldn’t take one this season, I definitely hope we do. Doesn’t have to be early, but we need competition at the QB position, so somewhere in this draft I hope we find it.

Happy New Year!

1,658 Responses to Happy New Year Dolphins Fans

Miami had the most starts missed by starters.

Maybe we get John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco

3. I love the fact that people will poo poo the idea of an experienced head coach like Rex Ryan but will go all in on a guy who’s only experience is 8 yrs with the Miami Dolphins under a bunch of failed head coaching regimes. Let’s keep the tradition of mediocrity alive in Miami!!

if you’re Miami and you want to rebuild maybe winning now isn’t the prime objective, in fact losing is winning.

Get Rizzi

Dumping all the high priced FAs this year will ensure a top 5 pick in 2020, I hear Tannehill is on the trading block

this teams has sustained losing for 20+ years, if you’re going to lose anyway why not lose big, get early draft picks and clear the cap. lose big to win

7. bat says:

I was hoping for Ross to finally trigger a complete blow up, but it looks like he’s half assed it again. Grier has the stench of failure about him. He wallowed in the cesspool of mediocrity and participated in the direction and decisions that have led us to this point. I refuse to believe the notion that Grier was just an innocent observer to the carnage. If he willingly accepted being shunted to the background and having all of his input disregarded, then he is a fool and a coward for remaining in his position. A man of honor would resign given such circumstances. As always with our hapless Fins, I hope for the best but expect the worst.

Lou – So you’re really going to go with Rizzi’s record as a HC at New Haven? Has there ever been a winning HC at New Haven? Why is it even relevant? He’s learned so much since then, it just doesn’t mean anything. Not every NFL HC was a big time college HC. Tannehill was undefeated in Pee Wee football, so there goes your theory!

• The only place he’s coached in the NFL is with Miami with three mediocre coaching staffs. Is THAT what you’re going to base a decision to hire him on? No thanks. He doesn’t have the resume.

You’re only looking at the surface, you have no idea what his football knowledge is, what his philosophy on offense or defense is. You’re just stating superficial things. Tell me what his offensive philosophy is? Defense? You can’t, because you have no idea.

• and neither do you. and who’s to say that philosophy even matters if you can’t pull it off. again, he doesn’t have the resume. 8 years in the Phins organization with three failed coaching staffs is enough for me to say “bye” before I say “hell yeah” to making him a head coach.

I can’t believe, that after all this time of seeing this team mired in mediocrity, anyone would even be slightly interested in entertaining the idea of wanting him as the new HC of this team.

Let’s keep the tradition of mediocrity alive in Miami!! Hell yeah!!

9. I just can’t ever seeing a Miami Dolphins fan base being excited about the prospects of going into a season with Darren Rizzi as the head coach. Even if they don’t go after a coach with experience, when you’ve got guys like Fangio and Richard on the list, to end up with Rizzi would be an epic fail.

We at least know RIzzi is a good special teams coach that was able to stick through like 3 coaches. And that the players love him, including ones who never played STs. That’s a start at least.

So if we hire Fangio and we go 3-13 and 4-12, and then 4-12, will it matter how excited the fan base got when he was hired?

• you think a team that was 7-9 with one of the worst defenses in the league and gave up the most yds in the history of the team is going to be worse with a HC who is 1000x better at coaching defense and calling defensive plays than Matt Burke? Okay.

Even if it’s a “rebuild” Fangio will have the D playing a lot better than you could ever hope for with Burke. Burke is a frickin panty waste

Two weeks away from Phins news and what a shocker to come back too. Thought Gase was a lock to get at least one more year no matter what happened in the last two games…. and wrong I was — even if sounds a key reason was him copping an attitude, including with Ross. Bad move.

But Santa gave a lot of you guys what you asked for. Gonna make for a real interesting off season.

11. Only Miami Dolphins fans could possibly back a coach from the Mediocrity Crew to be the next head coach of this team. Even giving the guy an interview “out of respect” is just plain wrong. The entire staff should have been dismissed. Keeping them around and looking for a new head coach just SCREAMS how inept this team is at getting things done.

Why are ANY of them still here?

12. BailBondMike says:

Say NOOOOOO to Rex Ryan!! I remember that Buffalo team he took over, they had a good defense already. Those who think he would come in and take our defense to a higher level are GREATLY mistaken. Rex Ryan takes over and the Bills defense fell from 4th to 19th in total yards allowed and 1st to 31st in sacks after his first season. Ryan couldn’t improve those #’s the next year and was fired. Enough said!

13. BailBondMike says:

Let’s not forget the last game Ryan coached was against a Matt Moore/Jay Ajayi led Miami offense in 2016 where the Bills got beat at home in late December and knocked out of wild card contention.
    Enough said!

Lou – It doesn’t matter that I don’t know his philsophies, which I don’t, because I’m not the one who is just saying he’s not qualified by looking at the surface, you are.

• He’s not! you wouldn’t take a guy with that resume in any type of business and bring him in to run things for you. You wouldn’t. 8 yrs with Miami as a st’s coach with failed coaching staffs says you get rid of him and let him go somewhere else. It doesn’t mean you interview him for a head coaching position. THIS is why this team sucks.

We disagree Lou. He had an excellent and prepared ST’s unit for years. He knows how to motivate his players, and he related to his players well. The Dolphins know more about him than you do, which is probably why it earned him an interview.

• He isn’t qualified. Just like Gase wasn’t qualified. You talked yourself into it. That’s all there is to it. Rizzi is not the guy for the job.

No, it’s more like you talked yourself out of it. He hasn’t even been hired and you’re already flipping your shit.

• Mike,
        he doesn’t even deserve an interview. how do you even consider interviewing a guy for the HC of your team when the only thing he’s done is spend 8 yrs with YOUR team. the ONLY thing he’s been exposed to is the losing philosophies of Sparano, Philbin and Gase.

You hear a lot about “coaching trees” and guys like Andy Reid and how a lot of coaches who coach under guys like Reid, Gibbs and Shanahan have done well in the NFL. And Rizzi was with those three guys. So what, exactly, has he learned from his time with them?

Seriously. Get real.

• And it would be a different story if our st’s were fantastic but they weren’t. They were good but they weren’t great.

Wait, the guy isn’t qualified and doesn’t have the resume, buuut if our ST were fantastic instead of just really good he would suddenly be more qualified and have a better resume? lol

Your mediocrity argument doesn’t hold water either when you endorse a guy in Sexy Rexy that has a losing record and has been kicked out of every HC job he’s had because he lost the team.

I want an experienced HC too (not REXY!!), but you’re kind of just spraying arguments shotgun style right now.

Carry on.

15. I’m sorry but the entire coaching staff should have been let go. The TEAM didn’t do well and that’s on EVERYBODY. Hey, let me ask a question. What was Rizzi’s other title besides ST’s coach?

That’s right. Assistant head coach. So, if the team sucked and he’s Gase’s assistant then why would you even consider the guy? Rizzi isn’t qualified. End of story.

Now I’m rooting for Rizzi to be hired, I want to watch Lou lose his mind.

Guess who turned 89 years old today?
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DON SHULA!!!

Greatest HC in NFL history!!!

I don’t want Fangio coming in here and ruining everything by going 7-9, I want 3-13 at best so we get our QB.

19. bat says:

“That’s right. Assistant head coach. So, if the team sucked and he’s Gase’s assistant then why would you even consider the guy?” …..Now this is a very good question.

20. bat says:

Mike .. If Asst HC is just a title, why have one?

Never thought about it, cared about, still don’t. It’s meaningless. Maybe it was a bump in pay, maybe it was a move to make sure he wasn’t hired elsewhere and the title made a lateral move impossible, maybe both.

I don’t think it matter who we flippin’ hire. It could be the ghost of Lombardi, and in 3 years we’ll still be asking ourselves WTF? I think part of Belicheat’s blowjob and handshake deal with the devil must include us being mired in mediocrity.

Kong – Perhaps Bat can lend his assistance and check the files on Belichick’s contract. lol

23. bat says:

Mike … To be honest, I’m not as down on Rizzi as Lou is. I just have a natural reservation about retaining anyone associated with the previous failures.

Lou,

I understand your desire for a retread and I agree that Rizzi isn’t my favorite pick either. I don’t agree about first timers. There is way too much evidence of their success to use the ‘it never worked in Miami’ excuse. Especially Andy Reid first timers. Andy Reid first timers, none who have ever done the play-calling for Andy and have still been wildly successful. Play-calling isn’t a necessary part of a HC resume.

I personally don’t care about anything beyond their philosophy, plan, and the coaches they bring with them. That’s probably all Grier cares about as well and no one knows the answers to those questions yet. I wouldn’t mind Rexy if he hadn’t failed so spectacularly over his last 6 years of coaching. He needed to get back into being a DC if he really wanted to be a HC again. Show us you still have it instead of being a talking head on TV.

25. bat says:

Belicheat entered into a lifetime exchange of services contract with our organization. The terms of which are constantly subject to change at either parties discretion and depending on game situations, number of referees to be affected and total monies wagered among other considerations.

Oh well, I hope he got whole life insurance, a lifetime warranty, and his nutz fall off upon contract completion as well, lol.

I often wondered what Rizzi’s duties as Asst HC were. Gase didn’t have anything to do with the defense when they were on the field, as he was always on the bench drawing up the next bubble screen. Burke must have handled the team when the D was on the field. Gase ‘ran’ the offense when it was on the field. Not sure what that left for Rizzi outside his normal duties as ST coach.

27. Not one team has called Miami and requested to interview Rizzi for a head coaching vacancy. Yep. He’s gonna be a great one!!! 1-15, here we come!!! whoopie!!

28. and, by the way, I’m not flipping out about Rizzi. I’m just busting the balls of the members of the Mediocrity Gang who endorse him.

Ohhhh wait, Bat. it all makes sense. Did the contract also stipulate Brady had to marry that dude, Gabriel Butchin, or whatever his name is? Is that why he married that guy?

31. bat says:

Steer clear of ALL Cheatriot assistants and coordinators. None of them have been, or are now, covered by Belicheats agreement with us.

I don’t think anyone here has endorsed Rizzi, but I don’t have enough information to shoot him down like some others here. I like Rizzi’s personality. I knew right away I didn’t like Philbin’s, and that didn’t mean he wasn’t going to be a good HC, but personality does matter, and Rizzi’s is the kind I would want here. I’ll let the guys who are doing the interviewing determine whether he’s qualified in all other areas. He looks like a competitor, unlike Gase with his goofy eyes, and Philbin with his milquetoast personality.

33. bat says:

Cav …LOL .. That had nothing to do with us …It was true love.

———————
    I’ve been tough on Raekwon, but man did he ever turn it on over the last 4 games of the season. He even caught my eye in breaking up a pass play with one heck of an athletic effort.

I feel he was late to sprout (even despite missing all of last year), but the kid has certainly made a positive impact.

I don’t know if they look at where he made those stops, but there was an awful of stops made at least 5 yards downfield as far as I remember. Very rarely were those tackles at or behind the LOS.

He played much better in the 2nd half of the season. Burke praised him for his improvement saying things started to slow down for him and he started staying in his gaps more than jumping the gun and getting washed out. He should continue to get better.

Lou,

For me, HC is just like any form of upper management,..you are as good as your middle managers are. Whoever we get, and I really don’t care which guy it is, they need to have a strong OC, DC, etc coming with them. In those roles, I want that experience you mention. I want a guy like Fangio, or Kyle Shanahan, etc. The HC should have a vision of what he wants to do, a plan of how he will accomplish this, and who he will hire to implement his vision and why those guys are the best to do that.

With that said, experienced coaches usually do know more people and have that network that helps to provide this. At the same time, failures have a harder time finding people willing to jump on board because of history and how this may affect future prospects of lower level coaches. In this instance, a great OC may want to jump with a guy like Nagy because of his time with Reid and the positive history acquired. This may trump the experience a Rex Ryan has because he’s never been anything but an average coach with a very big mouth when it’s all said and done. He’s also fired a TON of coaches when his seat starts to heat up. That’s not a positive for a coordinator when they want to show their value to others in the league.

I like Bieniemy mainly because of Reid but I’m not attached to him. I dislike Rizzi because I don’t think he has a strong bond with good coaches but I could be wrong. I distrust Flores because of Bill’s tree being so bad over the years but that’s just a bias he has to overcome. I like Fangio because he’s a really good longtime DC who probably has some good connections built up. I hope we get the best guy in the end.

Like many of you, I don’t really have a horse in this HC race. I’m looking fondly upon Vic Fangio, Eric Bieniemy, and Darren Rizzi (in no particular order), but I’m a HELL NO to Rex Ryan.

I would go as far as getting Rex as our DC, but NOT as our HC.

—————-
    If it’s Mike Shanadouche, I give up on life.

40. BailBondMike says:

Just to be clear, I am not “all in” on Rizzi but would much rather have him than Ryan. Ryan (w/T-baum) destroyed the Jets over 8 yrs and Ryan destroyed the Bills in an even shorter period. I also don’t understand why just because someone is a ST’s coach that they are not qualified to be an HC. If you just left it at you don’t think he has enough overall coaching experience then I would be somewhat in agreement with you. As some have pointed out, John Harbaugh was never an HC, OC or DC in college or NFL before getting the HC job at Balt.

For me, it just comes down to experience, ones ability to motivate players, game plan, and success. I think Rizzi is a great motivator. You do game plan as a ST coordinator, but how well would he do game planning for all three phases? I know the coordinators are a huge part of that. I don’t know about Rizzi in that area and for that reason, wouldn’t mind seeing someone with more experience in that area. I do think Rizzi is a very good coach.

That is where I agree on Bieniemy or my favs like Fangio and a few others.

Rizzi is a good coach. That by itself is not a reason to hire him, and neither is that we know him and a lot of players obviously like him. Same time, won’t be burning my jerseys if we do hire him. Gonna be a lot of questions no matter who we end up with. And sounding like going rebuilding with the wonder exactly how much.

There seems to be a recurring theme of landing coaches from either Texas A&M, Holy Cross, or New Haven. What’s up with that?

I agree with Bat
    Stay away from Cheats assistants
    They are probably just interviewing to spy on our facilities anyway…lol

My sources say: Urban Meyer

I was thinking about Meyer just yesterday. NOT for us, but that he’d be high on the list of others needing a HC.

I heard he retired from OSU for health reasons. I also heard Mike Francesa interview him awhile back and he seemed lukewarm about coaching in the pros. If he did want to coach in the NFL Cleveland would probably be the team being he’s from Ohio.

—————–
    VERY good coaching tree.

Keep it going X!

Stanger, how was South Africa? Did you cage dive with great whites? 🙂

Was real cool. You would have done the shark cage dive, but when heard have to get picked up at 5AM and get back at 6 PM said no way (was a way away). Main thing came away with is Capetown is one special place. That and and elephant plopping down for a sleep in the middle of the road means you turn around, take the long way, and get to lunch like 45 minutes later. 🙂

How did Dennis Allen coach 36 games in 2 seasons?

Derwin James got voted to the pro bowl! Well, what do ya know.

Oops, all pro, I meant. Wanted him.

Just think, if I was our GM, our defensive backfield would have Xavier Howard, Desmond King and Derwin James right now. Sign my ass up!

Kong,
    You say that like it’s a bad thing. Lol

CavalierKong says:
    January 4, 2019 at 11:06 am

That and his request that when the divisions re-aligned that they send the team that is 1200 miles NORTH of Miami to the AFC SOUTH and keep Miami in the East.

I dont know if i think Rizzi is the best candidate for us but i like him more than Rex Ryan. I think that would be an awful choice. I like the other guys they have brought in, though i have concerns about Flores. I think if i had to rank them right now id do it like this.

Fangio
    Bienemy
    Rizzi/Allen (someone they just requested to interview)
    Flores

If the Harbaughs are in play id probably have them ranked above Fangio

There may be some candidates that come up later ill like better but for what is reported for us, thats my list.

I read a tweet earlier and I loved it! If the Ravens want a couple of #1 draft picks from us for John Harbaugh, how about we do them one better: Tannehill, DeVante, and Charles Harris for Harbaugh!

Rizzi 2/1 eh? LOL

59. Seems like the same people who thought Adam Gase was a good head coach are the ones who like Rizzi for the job.

Piggi – You hated Gase from the start, or now?

I pretty much soured from the time he benched Ajayi in game 1 of his first year

But when we get on a big run I began saying “well he must being doing something right

Then by next season I was souring again

Tim – Dammit, you’re responsible for it if they hire Rizzi because you didn’t rail against it! You have to outwardly campaign against it, or it’s all on you!

62. ElephantRider says:

Stanger

I could of helped out with your travel for lunch that day…..

LOL ER — should have got out of the truck, walked up and mentioned your name. Even if the pachyderm didn’t want to get up, least could have spread the word about your Toba League Championship…. and a big congrats on that.

63. All I know is I don’t want anyone associated with the losing ways of this franchise and Rizzi is one of them. Yeah, he might be good at what he does as a special teams coach and, yeah, maybe he deserves some credit but we aren’t moving forward by just bringing up a guy from a three losing coaching staffs and making him the new head coach.

You could also make the argument that just because we haven’t won that doesn’t mean Xavien Howard isn’t a really good player. Rizzi is good at what he does and because we didn’t win doesn’t mean he can’t be a good HC.

All I want from a HC is a guy who eventually has success with the team and it doesn’t matter who that guy is to me if he wins.

But if Tanny isn’t our QB who is? Other options look like serious rebuild…..and may be what we are in for.

Everything points to starting over, going young and rebuilding from the ground up. Ross made it pretty clear he wants a new team built the right way and if it takes a few years so be it. He wants a team that is sustainable and competitive every year, not one good season then take a step back etc.

64. I’d inquire to San Fran about CJ Beathard.

I agree with Tim’s sentiments. You can’t punish Rizzi who did his job well just because the rest of the team sucked. I don’t give a flying fuck what position was attached to his name, he was the ST’s coach, and his unit was always very good.

I totally agree, too. Can’t charge the man for failure in any way, shape, or form on his part.

And truth be told, we’ll never know how many times Rizzi — as assistant HC — bailed Gase out. But we DO know that Rizzi was the man in charge of taking time-outs and further assessments, while Gase was ‘doodling up’ a new play, alone on the bench.

The fact that so many players and former players who played for him speak so highly about him speaks volumes. Even Jordan Phillips who was glad to get out of Miami praised him.

• he’s going to need A LOT of help from his OC and DC. who’s he got? what connections does he have after 8 yrs in Miami? Bowles? you good with that? if he reaches out to someone he doesn’t know they’ll probably turn him down because they don’t know him and never worked with him and if it’s a failure it goes against them on their resume. you think anyone wants any part of that? if I were a guy who was looking to move up I wouldn’t touch the Miami opportunity with Rizzi as the head coach. you’d have to be an idiot.

You really don’t understand how the NFL works do you? You put these people in bubbles as if they only know one area of the game and nothing else about football yet you do. He’s actually in the business and knows more people in the NFL and about the game than you could ever dream of. But keep pretending you’re on par with them or even better. LOL

• I love it. I don’t understand how the NFL works but YOU do. That’s just great stuff there. You’re the one who even said, when Gase kept bringing in HIS guys from CHI, that’s what they do. They go with guys they’ve worked with before.

Yeah, it is!!! That’s what they do. Who the fuck has Rizzi worked with before!!?? Nobody but guys from Miami. That’s it!!

Do you think there’s guys on other teams who are saying “gee, if Rizzi gets that job in Miami I’d really like to go there and work with him” GTFOH!! Tim, sorry, but you’re the one who’s fucking clueless.

Did they fire Tannehill yet?

Once he’s gone we can’t help but get better.

68. Nothing wrong with CJ Beathard as an option. Ppl poo pooed me in ’12 with Foles over Tannehil and, oh looky, some want Foles on Miami now. Funny how things work out. And he’s got the Eagles in the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row.

Beathard is a younger, cheaper, more mobile option who’s got a high football I.Q. and very good accuracy. Can read D’s well, goes thru progressions well and can run an NFL offense. Plus, he’s a hell of a lot better option than Teddy.

You really feel the need to be validated don’t you? No idea who you’re referring to from friggin 2012, but who wants Foles in Miami now? I haven’t seen one post about that. Not saying someone didn’t say it, but it surely isn’t often.

Beathard wouldn’t be a bad option but I bet the Ninets think they could get more for Mullens. Mullens has enough moxie to get it done until our rookie is ready this year or next. Brissett and Dobbs also on that list for me.

69. Rizzi should not even be a consideration. When you’re trying to move forward and establish a team that is going to be built to win consistently you don’t put a guy in charge of that rebuild who was part of the losing ways on the team. That would just put them on the same path. It means you, as team’s management, really just gave lip service to what you said you wanted to accomplish.

Get ready for repeated posts about how Rizzi isn’t qualified. Never seen this sort of thing before. LOL

The players, old and new, all certainly seem to like Coach Rizzi, shit that’s half the battle right there.
    Who knows, all of this will continue until Harbaugh is out of the playoffs. He’s waaay in play right now.

Welcome home Stanger nice to see you back.

I’m sorry, but I’m actually saddened that nobody else has acknowledged Don Shula’s B-Day today on this board, other than me! WTF is that?!!

Omg,I missed it , oh crap. Sorry Coach

Much love and you know Coach that I still hold out hope that Mike should be our Coach. I think Dan would have targeted him if he were to have been in charge.

Happy Birthday 347 ❤️🎉🏈

76. Yeah, I can just see all those other coaches around the league who are just chomping at the bit at the opportunity to go work with Darren Rizzi in Miami because they know him and just know it’s going to be a great gig for them.

LMFAO!! GTFOH!!

Maybe if they’re like you they’ll think they have a shot at his job in a year or maybe less, because he’s not qualified. Look at it from that angle

Lou – How is it that John Harbaugh is successful as a HC? He was a RB/OLB coach, then a ST’s coach for about 16 years. How is it he became a qualified HC?

He was NEVER a HC at any stop, whether in college or the pros. How did it happen? HOW????

• However, NFL execs did not see special teams coaches as being qualified to be a head coach in the NFL back then. (from wiki) Harbaugh requested of Reid to become the Eagles db coach so he could have a better shot at becoming a head coach and Reid moved him into that position.

I think what many people fail to realize here to is he was with ANDY REID in Philly for 9 yrs as a special teams coach and 1 as their db’s coach. Andy Reid. Not Tony Sparano. Not Joe Philbin. Not Adam Gase. Andy Reid.

Darren Rizzi IS NOT QUALIFIED.

• I never said a person isn’t qualified because they were a special teams coach.

That is such a thinly put together argument. Frankly, it’s total garbage. People are special on their own merit. How many Belichick disciples were total failures outside of NE? Just because you work for a winner, or are surrounded by winners, doesn’t make you a winner. Joe Philbin under Mike McCarthy, there are countless examples. What if Rizzi was able to identify the best qualities of each coach, and put all of them together. Each one of them had good qualities along with their bad ones. Maybe Rizzi is special and he needs his chance to show it. Yeah, I’m sure that Harbaugh being a DB coach really out him over the top, and he grew exponentially. Fucking please, do you even believe your own horseshit?

You could say it that Rizzi surely knows how to do it wrong so maybe he’ll do it right. Who knows.
    The Cauliflower ears bother me but beyond that I’m ok. Nothing is happening til Harbaugh is settled though.

Lou, ramble on as you wish. You enjoy being divisive and calling people out about anything that doesn’t fit your narrative. You also ignore what people are trying to say to continue an argument without really reading what they say. I’m going to root for any HC we hire and hope for the best for this team. That’s all any of us can do. I don’t consider myself an expert, I’m a fan. But I do listen to what people in the biz say about how things work. You come off as knowing more than most of them. Go get a job in the NFL and prove it. Good luck!

• No Tim. YOU are the one who can’t stand when someone else is correct about something because it’s almost as if you feel it takes something away from you. And YOU are the one who keeps going after people when you don’t agree with what they say. In fact, I don’t remember the last time you’ve ever agreed with me on something and I’m not saying we all need to agree with one another on here but you always come off as though you’ve got some kind of special knowledge about the subject I don’t.

If any of us here were any good at this we wouldn’t be on here. I don’t go after people, shooting them down when they say something. I may disagree with them but I don’t do what YOU do.

But, you want to start shit and then you can’t take it when someone comes back at you. So, best of luck to you too.

Happy Birthday Don Shula! Not that he’ll read this. LOL

Happy Birthday to the best NFL Coach in the history of the game, our own Miami Dolphin HOF Legend Don Shula! Best regards!

Coach doesn’t blog, he comes here for entertainment. 🙂

Coach Shula is NOT a fan of the Ryan family I will say that.

Goes back to Buddy.

Lou – Sorry man – I got a little excited there, I apologize.

M – Thanks for including me there. Appreciate it!

#draftraekwondavis

Great player for our soon to be 3-4 Defense

So we’ve interviewed Flores and Bieniemy. Allen will be tomorrow and Rizzi on Monday. Fangio seems preoccupied with coaching at the moment and said he’s done zero prep for interviews.

Godchaux and Taylor are two good young DL moving forward. DT in a 4-3 and DE in a 3-4.

That’s what I’ve been sayin’, my Brother! All we would need is a FA NT, and to draft a NT this year… being NTs don’t grow on trees.

The real Miami Miracle wasn’t Drake scoring it was Tannehill actually completing the pass.
    Then our dazzling QB goes on to finish the seasons final 3 games with 2 at best scoring drives per game. You’re fired, fuck off.

We’re not that drunk we just need a Quarterback

DAMN RIGHT DON SHULA IS THE BEST HEAD COACH IN NFL HISTORY!!!!!
    A few years ago Ken analyzed the top NFL coaches of all time and concluded that Shula was the best BECAUSE he took different teams with different styles and different quarterbacks to the Super Bowl AND, along the way, won the most games and completed the ONE AND ONLY PERFECT SEASON!!

Shula took a Colts team that, alternately, was quarterbacked by Unitas and Morrall to Super Bowl III; took a run-oriented squad led by Csonka, Kiick, Morris, Griese, Warfield and the “No Name Defense” to 3 straight Super Bowls, winning two of them.

Unbelievably, Shula took a team led by DAVID WOODLEY to Super Bowl XVII AND NEARLY WON IT!! Finally he rode a much different Dolphins team to Super Bowl XIX, led by Dan Marino and the Marks brothers. Don Shula molded his coaching to adapt to his talent. THAT’S WHY he was so successful!! Could Chuck Noll have won without Bradshaw? Could Bill Walsh have won without Montana? Could Belicheat have won without Brady? Maybe yes, maybe no! It’s debatable. But there’s NO DEBATE about the fact that many different kinds of teams were led to the Super Bowl by DON SHULA. THAT, as Ken suggested, makes DON SHULA the GREATEST HEAD COACH IN NFL HISTORY!!

THE HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS TO THE ONE AND ONLY “DON” OF MIAMI!!!

M13, as far as finding a NT if we switch to a 3-4, we may not find “the guy” in the first year. It might be a mid-tier guy and/or a backup to a starter but has the makeup to play the position. Then maybe we draft one at some point and sign two UDFAs and let them compete as we make the transition. We’re going to have some voids and growing pains in year one. But that doesn’t mean we can’t be competitive although we shouldn’t expect a lot of wins.

OD – I said we might need a FA RT. lol

In a rebuild season we don’t need anything specific. Add as much talent as you can anywhere and go from there during the transition. Then start to mold the team in more detail in year two and keep doing that until you win the damn Super Bowl. LOL

HEY RIGEL: My ticket rep with the Fins called me at work to discuss my payment plan for next season (Ross demands his money A LOT EARLIER IN THE YEAR than prior owners did). I asked her “How much for the same seats this year?” “Exactly the same as this past season,” she replied. I had a smart-ass reply to that in my mind, but, in the spirit of the season, I spared her. “Put it all on my card and I’ll pay it all as once like I always do.” She thanked me and asked if their was anything else she could do. Her mistake.
    —————
    I went into about a 3 minute explanation about WHY Steve Ross should STOP hiring guys to be head coach who have no prior experience as a head coach. I also told her the history of the franchise is that ONLY head coaches of the Fins WITH PRIOR HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE HAVE EVER WON A PLAYOFF GAME, and that those coaches with NO prior head coaching experience (such as the ones hired by Ross) have EVER WON A PLAYOFF GAME IN DOLPHINS HISTORY.
    She asked me “How come you know all this?” I repied by inviting her to read “ABSOLUTE PERFECTION.” It took her less than 10 seconds on her device to find it! The first thing she noticed was that the name of the author matched the name on my season’s tickets. THAT’s truly amazing, Mr. Campbell,” she said. I then said, well if you think it’s amazing, show it to Mr. Ross and tell him to more strongly consider head coaching experience when choosing Miami’s next head coach!—She said she knew Mr. Ross’s secretary and would tell her the whole story this afternoon!
    ————
    SO, if my Dolphins tickets NEXT SEASON are in the top row of the upper deck, you’ll know why.

OD, you do realize that a lot of first time HCs have won championships, right?
    Lombardi, Landry, Walsh, Gibbs, Ditka, Parcells, Johnson, Holmgren, Cowher, Tomlin, Payton, Pederson and I might be leaving some out. I don’t think first time HC has anything to do with it.

98. at the conclusion of the interview process, the person who will be the next head coach of the Miami Dolphins, assuming he wants the position over another he may be offered, is Eric Bieniemy.

That is all.

• bookman11 says:

We all bow to your greatness 🙏

I like him too. All the coaches we’re targeting have a reputation of demanding accountability but also relatable. All these guys know football. Can they lead and coach on game day.

Personnel is huge.

OD, I just pointed out 14 HCs who were first time and won championships and multiple championships. What more do I need to know? Those coaches dominated for decades. We’re not even counting coaches who won and had good teams but didn’t win the ultimate goal or did it on their 2nd time around – like Shula. Your feeling about first time HCs not being the answer questions and disagrees with history. It’s not me.

Bookman, Switzer… and the beat goes on. 😉

At the end of the day, coaches can only do so much. Players make plays.

• bookman11 says:

IMHO, there is no real formula for hiring a coach or every team would do it. Lol

The same with the draft. Everyone has an opinion. Just do this. LOL

• If you go back and look at a lot of those situations, Cowher and Tomlin in Pitts, Harbaugh in Baltimore, Switzer in Dallas, McCarthy in GB they all came into situations with solid teams from top to bottom where continuation was what was being asked of them rather than trying to turn around the fate of a franchise.

When teams are that solid they also tend to make better decisions about the people they bring in too.

Homgren, Walsh and Payton are guys who may have been in the upper echelon when you consider they took franchises that were not getting it done to a new level of competitiveness.

However, I think it’s kind of difficult to say that most of those guys just “came in and took their teams to a SB”. Harbaugh came into a great situation in Baltimore where they had already seen AFC Championships and won a SB with Billick. He didn’t WIN a SB until his 5th season with the team.

It took Cowher 14 yrs to win a SB with Pittsburgh and it’s the only one he won. Tomlin took over for Cowher and Pittsburgh had a long history of winning already with a strong organizational structure from top to bottom and a strong staff. A lot of people want to coach in Pittsburgh.

So, there needs to be some perspective and some objectivity when we’re looking at these guys because Miami isn’t exactly the best situation to be coming into with an untested GM and slim prospects for a staff for some of the guys who will be considered. The chances of a 1st timer making it in Miami are pretty slim. But, if he does, you know he’s definitely got to be one of the best coaches in the league.

I will say this. I’m rooting for the Chiefs to win it all. I’d like to see Andy Reid have that ultimate moment. Great coach who always falls short. But he’s in the playoff mix all the time.

Kind of bummed me out but I realized we could trade Drake to a team for a 3rd rd pick easily. He’ll be 25 years old at the end of this month. Low mileage and versatile explosive player. He’ll be a UFA next year anyway.

I see Ballage as our main back next year.

• New Age says:

I feel for Wilson. Guy was brought in believing he would be part of a competitive team and now he’s a part of a rebuild. We looked to be built like KC and it just didn’t happen. Maybe Bieniemy or someone else can make it happen. I’d love to see Drake with a full load of carries but you’re right. He’s one of our best trade options if we want more picks.

This idea that a first time HC is an albatross is a fallacy. A first time HC may win the Super Bowl this year. That is all.

Here’s another thing to think about, during this rebuild our next HC might be gone after 3 years. LOL

• New Age says:

76’ers didn’t have the stomach for one and I’m not sure Ross does either. It’s tough being the Browns, having Hue, and sucking until they got Mayfield and a better coach.

105. I’m excited to see what Bieniemy can do with this team. If there’s one guy on the list of candidates for the Phins HC job that deserves the shot it’s definitely him.

January 4, 2019 at 8:58 pm
    Bookman, Switzer… and the beat goes on. 😉

At the end of the day, coaches can only do so much. Players make plays.
    *****
    Oh now you KNOW that’s going in my memory bank for later, Tim! Lol

107. TryPod says:

Wonder how many requests Rex has received to interview this cycle…🤔

TryPod – The same as Darren Rizzi I would expect

Me celebrating when we hire a winning coach

On NY sports radio this morning they were talking about Gase interviewing for the Jets job. It’s funny how they still say he’s a great offensive coach. The thing they were harping on was his personality, how he doesn’t get along well with people, and how that probably won’t work in NY, especially with the media spotlight being so bright there. Why is he still considered a great offensive coach?

Tanks but no Tanks.

You know when the auto voice at baggage claim at says “many bags look similar” — take it seriously. What a brain fart I had Thursday night.

Go to unpack it is “hey that is not my bag.” Same brand and style, was right next to my wife’s, but not mine. 3-hour round trip to Miami yesterday to bring it back and collect mine. Think god put in the accident that closed 2 lanes on 95 just to make my penance all the greater. And I deserved it — just hope didn’t too much screw up the trip of the person whose bag I had.

WELCOME HOME, Jonathan.
      ———-
      IF IT’s any comfort to you, your screw-up pales by comparison to the guy who picked 7 consecutive head coaches with NO prior head coaching experience, all of whom failed to win a playoff game. And WHY do I think Ross is going to make it 8 in a row??

Thanks OD (and please just call me Stanger or Jon….only my Mom called me Jonathan). As far as Ross, we’ll see what happens. Pretty sure this mean rebuilding though. Have a feeling 8-8 next year might be a real good sign for the future.

Stanger – That’s some crazy stuff with the luggage. What happened with your luggage, was it unclaimed, or did the people who had the same one take it?

The other people were smart enough not to grab mine. And there were differences. They had a red airline tag on theirs and I had blue pulls on my zippers (think mine was same model but a year or two more recent).

Can’t get around I screwed up….. just saw same bag design in black, read the brand name on the tag and figured was mine. I just wanted to get out of there and get my first cigarette in 10 hours. But as an old boss said “best way to take a lot of time is try to get something done too fast.” 🙂

And i must have gotten your bag, i don’t own any Tannehill underwear??

Put this sticker on your bag and it will never happen again

stranger,
    I learned long ago. Tie a colorful something to the handle of your luggage that will stand out. I tied a bright lime green plastic bag to mine about 30 years ago, and it’s still there. So, my black bag that looks like 90% of every bag there sticks out immediately. It may look stupid, but it works! Nobody else ever grabs my bag either.

Makes all the sense in the world Randy — unless you come across an idiot like me. Why my bought my old set in silver. Wife was nice enough to buy the new one with blue pulls for the very same reason….but I blew right through that one.

Even if we all want to see who the next HC is — seems Chris Grier as the head of football operations is even bigger. Least seems that final say on roster is not an option. Isn’t that title what the Big Tuna had?

I think the thing that scares me about a first time HC is just the unknown. There is no job like a HC job. Being a coach in the NFL may help prepare you a little bit, but it’s just not the same. Being a HC is just a singular position that can only be replicated by being a HC. So, it’s not that I’m opposed to hiring a guy who’s never been a HC, but I do think there’s more trepidation just because there’s no way to know how they’ll respond. At least with a guy who’s done it before, you have some idea of how they’ll handle it. That doesn’t mean a new guy can’t become a great HC, but I think there will absolutely be a bigger learning curve. Some guys may be really good coaches but suck at being a HC. Philbin and Sparano, for instance.
    ***
    I also don’t see why any new guy wouldn’t want this job. He will get to start from scratch and build his own team. He’ll probably get a few years to show what he can do because we are starting over, kinda….and I can’t see a guy getting fired after one year in that situation. Ross has shown he’s a guy that likes to stick with guys…at least for awhile. And, Ross is also a guy who’s shown he’s willing to spend money. If I’m a rookie HC, I’d jump at a situation like that. Grier doesn’t come across as a control freak, so he seems to be a guy that would work with his HC and not dictate to him.

119. BailBondMike says:

Like I said, ppl keep telling me they don’t want Rex. Well, guess what? His players LOVED playing for him. They said it over and over
    ————————————————
    Hell no we don’t want Rex! Bills D was top 5 before he got there and he ruined their D. As far as players loving him, that was mainly w/Jets. In Buff he lost the locker room in just 1 1/2 seasons and was fired before the end of the second season.
    ————————————————
    I do agree on Bieniemy and a few others.

Interesting article about Gase’s departure

Interesting for sure. And Mando is the inside Davie guy.

Was at least happy to read: “Tannenbaum, with the team since 2015, asked for and received something of a quiet sendoff, according to a Dolphins source. He will not be working for the team again.” That’s my kind of reassignment for him.

The FCS Championship game on ESPN 2 is very entertaining!

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 13: Haskins, Dwayne, QB, Ohio State (A)
    Round 2 Pick 13: Allen, Zach, DE, Boston College (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 12: Jenkins, Elgton, C/OT, Mississippi State (A)
    Round 4 Pick 13: Gilbert, Mark, CB, Duke (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Willis III, Gerald, DT, Miami (FL) (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 13: Smith, Cameron, ILB, Southern California (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 17: Jordan, Michael, OG, Ohio State (A)

124. BailBondMike says:

M13, How many times did we mock Colts First Team All-Pro rookie LB Darius Leonard to us last draft? I can’t even count.

125. BailBondMike says:

Is it just me or could Andrew Luck also double as the Geico caveman without even using makeup?

127. BailBondMike says:

This is if we were to go to a 3-4. Got Davis who is an athletic beast and would be a good 3-4 DE. Then I got big Sagapolu as a NT.

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 13: Davis, Raekwon, DE/DT, Alabama (B)
    Round 2 Pick 13: Jones, Daniel, QB, Duke (A)
    Round 3 Pick 12: Jenkins, Elgton, C/OT, Mississippi State (A)
    Round 4 Pick 13: Hyatt, Mitch, OT, Clemson (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Sagapolu, Olive, DT, Wisconsin (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 13: Boyd, Kris, CB, Texas (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 17: Tranquill, Drue, OLB, Notre Dame (A)

I disagree with Breer. Plenty of places had those 3 in their top 50 players and everyone knows QBs go early. Some places had all three in the top 25. Maybe some of the top ‘talking heads’ at ESPN, etc didn’t have them high but it’s a BS narrative he’s pushing. Those 3 QBs in the ’17 draft went in the first 12 picks so NFL teams seem to have known as well. The media loves to push narratives but that’s probably why they are rarely believed today.

There are not 3 QBs in this draft that will be taken in the top 20 picks much less top 12. It’s a weak draft for top talent but guys like Jones can pull a Brady and work their tails off and succeed. There will always be weaker and stronger drafts for every position. He’s trying to sell the usual media garbage.

You never know who’s going to be really good, who’s going to be okay or bust.

I watched Drew Lock in the bowl game and I would take him at #13. Good size, decent mobility and a big arm. I do think he needs to step into his passes more. He not only resembles Cutler in looks, he plays like him. He makes a lot of back foot throws and the ball doesn’t go where it could have. That can be corrected though.

• New Age says:

Yeah, but that’s basing him off just one game. I’m not too fond of that. Matt Flynn looked amazing in one NFL game.

That was just my eye test live in one game. Other than that I’ve only watched highlights. He can make every throw. I think he’s a legit starting QB and possible franchise QB.

I really love how DeAndre Hopkins plays. He’s not the biggest WR though at 6-1 210 he’s quick, fast and plays violent. Clutch hands too.

He is getting shut down today

Not when I posted it. He had like 3-4 catches and nice plays early. The Colts are the better team right now for sure. Luck is really good and what he was always viewed to be. But the Colts look balanced.

olddolphan says:
    January 4, 2019 at 8:14 pm
    ————-
    That’s pretty nice, Mr. Campbell! I do hope that Steve Ross reads “Absolute Perfection” and begins to understand so much more about our storied history. And it would be doubly as nice if Ross would acknowledge having read your book… and with positivity!

Please let me/us know if you hear anything more about this. I would absolutely love to hear that your work reached the owner of our beloved franchise!

BailBondMike says:
    January 5, 2019 at 4:02 pm
    ————-
    Yessir! Quite a few of us mocked him to us. But sadly, I did not… not even once: DOH! Leonard is off to a very hot start to his pro career. Props to those who saw his talent! He looks to be a very good one for YEARS to come.

DeShaun Watson is nothing special

—————
    WOW!

Watson’s accuracy is shit

Well there goes my Houston vs Vikings SB prediction???????

Glad to see Indy take care of business. The Pets won’t get to play an easier opponent in Houston. They’ll either have to play the stout Balt defense or the Chargers potent offense. Both teams are capable of beating the pets if they are on their game.

I think Indy is going to give the Chiefs all they can handle even playing in KC.

—————
    More incredible stats: Joe Philbin left Miami, and Miami went to the playoffs the very next year. Joe Philbin leaves Indianapolis, and Indianapolis went to the playoffs the very next year. Joe Philbin goes back to the Packers, and the Packers miss out on the playoffs for the first time in forever.

Ken, Watson has work to do as a passer, but he’s still really young – 24 next season. He’s a dynamic player with a good enough arm. He needs more polish.

Now I’m torn. I wanted San Diego to beat Baltimore so we can settle our coaching situation BUT Baltimore always plays NE tough up there and I want the patsies out.
    Didn’t expect Indy to win today.

You could be right. He snakebit me this year.

Ken,

A lot of them aren’t really special in many ways. Trubisky looked terrible in a few games while the defense saved him. Goff has looked terrible lately but has a machine to work with. Flacco, Winston, Bortles, Eli, Prescott, and Dalton aren’t very good and have some massive flaws. Cousins is 4-22 against winning teams. That’s why people always thought Tannehill could be an average starter. There’s nothing really special about that.

He cannot throw the ball accurately I am not impressed. I think Houston will trend downward. He also takes too many sacks

DeShaun is the embodiment of special as athletes go. If he’s anything that’s what he is first is special. He’s definitely not – not special – tough day today.
    He took a bus to Jax earlier in the season because they were worried about him on a plane with a partially compressed lung. He buses over and goes out whoops ass. Heisman, National Champ, NFL passing records already… he’s special

We should have sold the farm for him.

Deshaun’s Tannehill was showing a little today lol

Allen Hurns… that was ugly to watch. His ankle is funked.

I just did some stat crunching on PFR. 12 teams made the playoffs this year, as always (6 from the AFC, 6 from the NFC)…

DEFENSE
    – ALL of the top-5 run-defending teams (YPG) made the playoffs
    – 10 of the top-13 (77%) run-defending teams (YPG) made the playoffs (Stealers*, Lions, and Panthers were the 3 teams who missed out)
    – ONE of the top-5 pass-defending teams (YPG, Ravens, #5) made the playoffs
    – 4 of the top-13 (31%) pass-defending teams (YPG) made the playoffs (only the Ravens, Bears, Chargers, and Cowboys)

OFFENSE
    – FOUR of the top-5 rushing-offenses (YPG) made the playoffs
    – 8 of the top-13 (62%) rushing-offenses (YPG) made the playoffs (Panthers, Titans, Bills, Broncos, and 49ers were the 5 teams who missed out)
    – TWO of the top-5 passing-offenses (YPG) made the playoffs (Chefs* and Rams)
    – SIX of the top-13 (46%) passing-offenses (YPG) made the playoffs

Forgive me for not listing every team who ranked where, but the pattern is pretty obvious to me: DEFENSE still wins championships, and the running-game (TRENCHES, BOTH SIDES) are where games are won and lost. Look no further than the percentages I listed above.

If we can stop the run, we’re golden. If we can run the ball enough (we had 4.7 YPC in ’18… run it more!), we’re golden.

I forgot to mention… while we didn’t lead the league in sacks yielded (we came close with 52!), we did yield the most yards lost via sack with an embarrassing -409 yards. Get the O-Line fixed and get a QB with more awareness than Tannehill, and we’ll be on an upswing.

And lastly, we managed to generate a mere 31 sacks (#29 in the NFL), despite having the #5 most expensive D-Line ($38.6M) in the league last year… 6 of which didn’t even come from our D-Line. Now I don’t need to be a rocket scientist to realize that comes out to (25 sacks/$38.6M) $1.5M per sack.

NOW LET’S GET THIS THING FIXED!!!
    GO PHINS!!!

147. dcoralsprings says:

It’s kind of funny but every coach in the nfl was once a first time nfl head coach
    To me the big factor is who you can bring with you, you can be a players coach or a hard nose type but the staff is never underrated, without strength in your coordinators and position coaches the chances of being successful really drop

148. naplesfan2010 says:

whatever

I believe our new HC will be either Kris Richard or Brian Flores

it would appear Trump is doing what Miami will do, Tank!

he’s tanking for a wall, while it may hurt this country in the short run it will probably be great for the future.

This is why I don’t bet

UNBELIEVABLY GOOD RESEARCH, Mr. Spikes! Yessir, Miami’s glaring weaknesses in the O-Line and D-Line were exposed this past season.
    BTW, IF Ross’s secretary gets back with me, I’ll be shocked. Someone who knows Ross told me,”He tends to ignore/not read anything that is even mildly critical of him.” This same source also said Ross replied to one critic, “When you make 2 billion dollars, get back with me!” Obviously Ross believes that, at least in his case, making money makes his opinion on football far superior to his critics. But, his 72-90 record as Dolphins owner speaks MUCH LOUDER TO ME than than his billions of dollars.
    —————————-
    The TAMPA BAY TIMES has two articles today that I found quite interesting:
    #1) BRUCE ARIANS reportedly had a long and very productive meeting with Bucs’ GM Jason Licht. Arians, who worked with Licht when Licht was GM of the Cardinals, compiled a 49-30-1 in Arizona, taking them to two playoff appearances in his 5 year run there. Now Arians, who worked as a broadcaster this year, has said he’d ONLY consider the HC job in Cleveland IF he returns to coaching in 2019. (OF COURSE, that means he has NO interest in working for Ross, as is the case with some other candidates). But when Licht called Arians, Arians agreed to a lengthy interview. BOTTOM LINE?–Arians is now the front runner to be the Bucs next head coach.
    Arians is known to be a “Quarterback Whisperer.” He’s worked with Big Ben, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck and Carson Palmer. And he’s handed Jameis Winston two of his worst defeats ever. And, unlike any other candidate, Arians is a two-time winner of AP’s coach of the year award. The Bucs NOW BELIEVE that prior HC experience IS A KEY ELEMENT in who they select to be the next HC. And Arians, for his part, now says he’s interested in the Bucs job.
    —————————-
    OBVIOUSLY, it’s too late for Ross to make a push for Arians who, for his part, will command a higher salary than some other candidates out there with no prior HC experience. But after 15 years of dismal failure, the owner of the Bucs now agrees that they desperately need the best man available, AND THEY ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR IT!!
    —————————
    ARTICLE #2, ON YOUNG QUARTERBACKS, will have to wait until later (It’s on QB’s 25 and under, and how to get the most out of them) MRS. OD needs the computer!

Watson sucks.

154. As far as fixing things goes the team will have the opportunity to shore up the d-line and o-line with their first two picks. While I’ve stated I really don’t want to go forward with Tannehill as the qb, and I still don’t want to, the players available to them on the d-line in the first round can’t be ignored.

I agree that we need to get the lines fixed and have been saying that for years now and it’s possible we get one of the top DT’s in the draft this year. I don’t so much care for most of the ends that are available because most are edge rushers and we needs guys with size like Gary or Ferrell rather than fast edge rushing guys who’ll get pushed around in the run game.

If we go d-line in the first we should probably get the opportunity to pick up a pretty good player in the 2nd rd who can help our offensive line. You kind of get tired of the team trying to fix the o-line by bringing in guys from other teams who can’t get the job done. Might be good for depth purposes but that’s about it.

So, the first 2 rds should give us a good starting point to work with as far as our o-line and d-line are concerned.

Jerry Jones said that Ross was at the Cowboys wildcard game to get a first-hand view of Kris Richard, who he had a bunch of good things to say. The Bucs, Dolphins and Jets will interview Richard today. I thought such interviews didn’t happen till after a candidate’s team was done with the playoffs. Could Jones have been doing the guy a favor by not insisting on that?

YS: Jerry Jones is NOT in the favors business. If Jones believes Richard is a key part of the Cowboys success (and FUTURE SUCCESS in coming years) he’ll stick to his guns and tell Ross to wait until the end of the Cowboy’s season. Conversely, if Jones does NOT have a particularly favorable opinion about Richard, he MAY be looking for a way to “help him out the door” without ruffling feathers AND, in that process, garnering a favor from Ross. I’m NOT saying this is what’s happening. I’m just saying it’s a possibility.

• I read something yesterday that said if the Cowboys really like you they will do everything in their powers to make it difficult for you to leave, not by blocking interviews, but by throwing all their resources at you to make it impossible for you to want to go elsewhere.

OD — no doubt the interviews are happening, and not just with the Phins. So either Jones is letting them go on or the rules have changed that he has no choice in the matter.

I’m not paying any QB outside our organization. Tannehill is gone, and either Falk or Fales is our QB. We can draft a QB and let him compete. Not a penny should be spent on the position other than the guys we have or the guys we draft.

That Seahawks 2 point conversion sure did look fixed. I kinda felt the Miami Miracle was fixed too, so there’s that

158. In addition, if you believe that teams running the football have a better chance of winning, winning consistently and making the playoffs then Bieniemy is the guy. He’s the one who will get the most of guys like Ballagae and Drake going forward whether it be as part of the run game, screen game or lining them up all over to create mismatches because that is what he does.

159. Ppl may not like Beathard as an option but here’s some things to think about:

1. Why would you want to trade a lot to get Teddy or Foles and then have to pay them a lot if you’re going to go out and draft YOUR guy, unless you plan on making them your guy? Doesn’t make sense to throw all those resources at a bridge.

2. Fales and Falk don’t give you the opportunity to do much of anything on the offensive side of the ball. Falk was a late rd pick for a reason, just like Doughty. It means he’s got a slim chance to even make an NFL roster much less be a starter. Fales was a 6th. So neither give you much of a chance to do much on offense. You’ve got too much talent at the skill positions to waste on either one of those two.

3. Beathard, on the other hand, will be much cheaper from the point of view of what you would need to give up to get him and still has two years remaining on his rookie contract. Drafted in the 3rd, just like Foles, he is a more mobile Foles, Accuracy, high football I.Q., great demeanor for a qb, can read a D well, goes thru progressions well and is a lot more mobile than Foles. Plus, he’s been thru hell in San Fran so he’s faced the pressure and the adversity so he knows what to expect. Has the starts under his belt under some tough conditions and if you saw him play for the 49ers then you know what I’m talking about. On the other hand, if you didn’t see him play then you’re not going to have much of an opinion on the subject.

I’ll be furious if we trade for a QB, or pay a FA QB. Just roll with what we have, and we what we draft. Great start to a rebuild.

• I’d be furious if we traded for Foles or Teddy, especially if it’s as a bridge qb for the guy you eventually draft because of the resources you need to put into him but Beathard shouldn’t require giving up much and he’ll be a lot cheaper option

I watched Beathard this year, and before he got hurt he looked surprisingly good. So did Mullens. Part of it is scheme. I think the Shannahan offense is really friendly to QBs and RBs a la Andy Reid.

Not using that as a knock on Beathard, because success is success. I also agree with your first point. If the guy we’re getting is a stop gap, we’d better not use any draft capital.

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 13: Allen, Josh, OLB, Kentucky (A)
    Round 2 Pick 13: Lindstrom, Chris, OG, Boston College (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 12: Gilbert, Mark, CB, Duke (A)
    Round 4 Pick 13: McCoy, TJ, C, Florida (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Willis III, Gerald, DT, Miami (FL) (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 13: Dimel, Winston, FB, Texas-El Paso (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 17: Cotton Sr, Lester, OG, Alabama (A+)

Here’s the beef!
    Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 15 (WASH): Sweat, Montez, DE, Mississippi State (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 13: Wilkins, Christian, DT, Clemson (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 15 (WASH): Love, Julian, CB, Notre Dame (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 12: Deiter, Michael, OG/OT, Wisconsin (A)
    Round 4 Pick 13: Burkett, Jesse, C, Stanford (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Brumfield, Garrett, OG, LSU (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 13: Dimel, Winston, FB, Texas-El Paso (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 17: Turpin, Kavontae, WR, Texas Christian (A+)

Looked it up — Jerry Jones had to let Richard get interviewed.

“For assistant coaches on teams playing on wild-card weekend, they cannot interview for at all until after their team plays. Should that team lose, those assistants can interview for a head-coaching position without further limitation. In the event of a win, assistants can interview before the divisional round but only in their current employer’s home city. The assistant’s current team can also dictate which day the interview takes place.”

Lou – What would you think SF would want as compensation for Beathard? Not that I want him, just curious as to what you think they would want.

• I’d say they wouldn’t get anything higher than the 3rd they used and I wouldn’t be keen on a ’19 3rd to get him but I’d love to see him in a Phins uni. He’s another 3rd rd guy like Foles and Wilson who can get it done.

• all I’m saying is, to me, you don’t want to be giving up a lot of draft capital to get a guy and then have to part with a lot of cap to sign him if you’re going to go after a guy in the 2020 draft and, second, you’ve got too much talent on offense to waste a year on it with a completely unproven guy behind center.

I’d much rather have someone who won’t cost nearly as much but at least gives you the opportunity to do SOMETHING with the guys you’ve got on offense.

164. would you go all in on Kyler Murray knowing:

1. his size could end up ending his career early or he could have difficulty at the next level getting the ball over the line and getting balls batted down

2. his heart may not be completely in it and he could end up going into baseball and then you’ve just wasted a high 1st rd pick on him.

If he drops to the 3rd like Wilson did due to his size then maybe it’s a different situation but I can’t see spending a 1st with so many questions. He’s a dynamic player in college but there’s just too much that would make me shy away from him.

lou,
    Are you going after Beathard again as a longterm starter or placeholder? Also, why do you say we need 2 starting guards and a center? I’m not necessarily disagreeing….just curious as to your thought process.

• who do we have at those positions? I don’t think any of those guys manning those positions at this time are the long-term answers there.

Beathard would be a bridge. Again, I’m just giving my thoughts on the situation. Realistically, the chances of it happening are probably slim to none but if I were looking for a bridge I’d want a guy who wasn’t going to cost us a ton while also giving us an opportunity to at least run our offense and get something out of the talent on offense that we’ve got.

• and don’t get me wrong. I know we’re not going to fix everything all in one offseason, nor should we try. but, I think, especially this year, we can add a top quality interior defensive lineman who can help us get much better at stopping the run and a quality offensive lineman who will help us have a better offensive line going forward.

we keep adding key pieces over the next 3 yrs in the draft and get them playing rather than starting high priced fa’s just because we paid good money for them and I think we have most of the rebuild completed by the time we hit the draft in year 4.

but, that’s JMHO

Lou – What you say about Beathard makes sense, but I don’t want to trade any draft picks for a QB. I’m sure you’ve picked up on the fact that I really don’t want to be competitive this season, or at least win a lot of games. I’m more than content to trot Falk or Fales out there every week and finish 3-13 or 4-13, and be in position in 2020 to get our QB. I really believe that’s what we should do.

• Yeah, I understand what you’re saying but I don’t think there’s going to be any coach who will want to take the job that would be willing to agree to that. He’s probably going to at least want a qb that can make the team somewhat competitive with the talent he has to work with on offense.

And I get that. Because if you’ve got and OC and DC you’re working with you want to be able to guage the talent you’ve got on both sides of the ball. How else would you be able to have an idea of how good players are and who can help you going forward?

Plus, you draft guys and want to develop them. You want to waste a year of a rookie contract? I don’t know any coach who’d want to do that. And you want your rookies playing hard if they’re starting. You want to get the best out of all your people.

And, lastly, if the head coach and his staff are good at what they do and they can get more out of the talent you’ve already got than the previous three then you’d want that to happen. It would only mean the team would be in a better situation going forward with the talent you’ve got and the talent you’re bringing in.

I know you hate this, but that’s a reason to go with Rizzi. He may be willing to bite the bullet for a year or two, but make no mistake, that guy will want to win, but he might be able to be convinced for a long term plan. It’s not like he could be blamed for poor coaching if Falk or Fales was starting with a young team.

167. BailBondMike says:

I liked Beathard coming out. Picked him in a coupled mocks. I wouldn’t mind trading a mid round pick for him. He got some NFL experience and played well before getting hurt. I mean, if you are going to possibly draft one after the first round, why not trade for a guy who was starting to prove he can possibly play on this level vs. drafting one who you have no idea how he will pan out. This taking into consideration that Haskins is gone when we pick round 1, Grier, Lock & Jones are gone when we pick round 2 which is very possible. Beathard would possibly be better than anyone we could draft after those 4 with the exception of Minschew. There are a lot of things about Minschew game that I like.
    To be honest, I don’t want to draft a QB in the first. I would like that pick to be on Defense.

lou,
    Ok, I can live with Beathard as a placeholder. I also think he’d be a good guy to have in the QB room helping any young QBs we get. He’s a football savvy guy and a great teammate.
    ***
    I’m not so sure about the OL. I have always said Davis should be a backup, so I agree there. But, we still don’t know whether or not Kilgore is a guy we can play with at Center. I was never a big fan of his but we didn’t see enough of him to know for certain. Sitton is also kind of an unknown. He may be at that point in his career where he is just starting to break down. But if he can stay healthy, he is a solid LG. So, unless there’s some information I’m missing, I’d say we need a RG for sure….but the other two positions are still unknown.

• I’m just looking at it from the point of view of the team building philosophy going forward. I just think they’re finished with the bandaid and free agent guys and want to build a team thru the draft first and foremost. I think they want THEIR guys. Not someone else’s guys who need to be taught their way of doing things.

I’m far from a Tanny lover, but he still very well could be our starting QB next year. Particularly if we take a guy in the top couple rounds as the guy to set up for the future. And we have no idea what Grier is thinking…. and for sure don’t know what are new HC will be given that we don’t know who he is.

I can’t reach you from here, but that’s good Jon. I don’t want to strangle you! If there’s anything that could get me to cancel my NFL package it would be Tannehill starting again for us next season. He’s a swell guy, but I can’t stomach him behind center of our team for one more snap

Wasn’t saying was rooting for that. Simply that hard to say it won’t happen. And if we are going into rebuild….who the QB is won’t matter that much. Only who the next one is will. And who knows what will happen? This is the most wide open off season in a good long while.

lou,
    I’d like to see us draft a couple OL this year. I’d like a couple more young guys who can grow with Tunsil and James, if kept. But, the OL is a unit I don’t mind plugging in FAs. Their games aren’t as dependent on scheme variation. I always prefer my own draftees but OL FAs are okay, if its the right one, of course.

172. BailBondMike says:

This is my “We cut Tannehill” draft. I traded down 3 times to get extra picks. LOL

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 21 (PHI): Davis, Raekwon, DE/DT, Alabama (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 13: Grier, Will, QB, West Virginia (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 16 (CAR): Jones, Daniel, QB, Duke (B-)
    Round 2 Pick 18 (MINN): Love, Julian, CB, Notre Dame (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 21 (PHI): Adams, Trey, OT, Washington (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 12: Ferguson, Jaylon, DE, Louisiana Tech (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 13: Biadasz, Tyler, C, Wisconsin (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Blackmon, Julian, CB, Utah (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 13: Willis III, Gerald, DT, Miami (FL) (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 17: Alaka, Otaro, ILB, Texas AM (A+)

If we can end up with 4 picks in the 2nd round without trading from the roster……I don’t care who you pick. 🙂

Would be hilarious to draft both Jones and Grier – I would actually love it

But – we all know tha cant happen

Stanger – Rebuild does matter. I don’t want to watch Tannehill win 7 games, I’d rather watch Falk win 4 games. Seriously . . . How many years of that can we watch?

stanger,
    I’d tradeTanny if at all possible….even if the compensation wasn’t great. Winning next season is way down the list of preferred outcomes. It hurts to say it, but losing is better for us in the long term. If Tanny truly isn’t the guy we’re going with long term, I don’t see any plus side tokeeping him. He’ll be really expensive, and it’s not like he’s a great football IQ guy to mold young QBs.

Stanger – Who are the real good players?

If I had to pick our “real good players” , they’d be Xavien Howard, Laremy Tunsil and Minkah Fitzpatrick. I don’t think any other player we have is more than just good, and most of them are average or below average.

Mike E — wasn’t talking All Pro types….just that we have a solid base. And average NFL starters are part of that.

Think our DB’s are one CB away from set real good and fine with the LBs. DL worries me, especially given the age and price at DE.

Think looking pretty good at all the skill positions on O other than QB. Back to the trenches there, but still not a disaster….especially with the injured guys coming back.

Not saying we are a player away, just that we have some quality players in the house.

If we want to be better for the future, I’d trade Tannehill, Reshad Jones, and cut Quinn, Branch, Parker and Amendola, which saves us $53.5M. That’s a start of cleaning up the cap. Next season we stay away from high priced FA’s, and contunue to build through the draft, and hopefully the extra 2 draft picks from Reshad and Tanny help us. That’s the direction I’d go. You want to rebuild, don’t half ass it, DO IT!

Rock would be proud. 🙂

And not saying not a way to go about it. Would be most likely a painful couple seasons watching games though. Might be exactly how it goes down though. For a new coach blow it up is job security. No one is expecting wins and you also get to mold the team as you want.

I’m not sold on our LBers. McMillan has been fairly uninspiring. I wouldn’t even call him OK. Kiko, while he makes a bunch of tackles, is a serious liability against the pass and gets abused often. Baker, I like.

They are young though. Kiko (who am more positive on) is only 28 and the other two just played their first season. Figure that unit is last thing will try to change, even if might add some lower down in the draft.

I don’t know if these numbers are accurate
      But it’s not hard for me to beleive

There is young talent on this team
      Guys like Gesicki and Drake need to be used more effectively

Well maybe we will be able to talk to Harbaugh by tomorrow

Randy says:
    January 6, 2019 at 3:08 pm
    __________________________________
    think it has more to do with the DC and the wide 9 that also comes with a wide hole up the middle.

The reason we sucked was coaching philosophy, not the players, Gase didn’t emphasize a running attack, we were piss poor at play calling, he didn’t have a go to play to pick up one yard and we lost games due to that. he called the game by the seat of his pants. he was horrible at situational football.

if i’m running this team we will draft the biggest nastiest guards and center, we will get a heavy 240lbs bruiser RB and our first priority will be to pound the football up the gut.

we don’t need our RB to be a drake cindarella! we need RBs like Seattle has.

we need to be good at dominating the LOS up the middle being the point of attack. until that happens we wont win

Anyone else think Chargers will beat the cheats?

I was watching the end of the Chargers/Ravens game, their last possession, they ran the ball, used as much of the clock as they possibly could. It made me think, if Gase were calling the plays for the Chargers it would have been 3 short pass plays and give the ball back to the Ravens with the maximum amount of time left for them to score. That’s the kind of thing that has me wondering why there seems to be interest in him from other teams. Do they look at him and think, well, he didn’t have a QB, ever. Even when Tannehill was healthy, he was Tannehill. I’ve finally realized why Gase loved the gimmicky trick plays so much, especially this last year, you know, the ones where you’ve got a WR throwing a TD….because that’s what he had! He was fully behind him from day one, I think it was because his ego wanted to be the one who turned him into a good QB.

I watch these other games and I can’t help but make comparisons. I’m not looking for an argument or a debate, it’s just what I see, and I can’t for the life of me figure out why there’s any demand for Gase at all right now.

I don’t watch other games so that I don’t break down and cry

Why us?
      (Piggy falls into the fetal position)

When you suck at PR

Chargers and Colts were both playing great football at the end of the season

The might be one of those years when a wildcard team makes it to the super bowl after winning 3 road playoff games

I always think of Harold Charmichael when I see Alston Jeffrey catch the ball.

Weird replay result

How did they rule the rollover catch by the Chargers at the one yard line. We all saw it be a Touchdown if anything it should have been at the 6 inch line

I have no idea how or what they saw that they put the ball at the half yard line, it clearly looked like a TD by the replays we saw.

• ocalarob says:

are you kidding? that should’ve been a TD ravens, gordon was tripped up by #32, before his elbow hit the ground you could see his hands coming off the ball. when his elbow hit he was short of the goal line and had already lost the ball TD ravens.

Rob – We’re talking about the previous play, the one before the Gordon run. The catch by the FB Derek Watt. That was a TD. The Gordon play wouldn’t have even happened if they got the first call right. Anyway, FUCK the Ravens, I hate those bastards!

• ElephantRider says:

They are up there with the Cheatriots!

Yessir, just a shade below the Pats, Jets, Bills. Hate all o those teams. TBH, I think I hate the Ravens more than the Jets and Bills, because they’re better. When the Jets and Bills are better than us, that will change.

That throw that Trubisky just made is a throw that Tannehill overthrows 99-100 times.

This is a good question

I love all these defensive games. Games can be exciting without tons of scoring!

Could come down to Parkee

Poor Cody Parkey

Did Parkey just shank one?????