Official – Brian Flores is the Miami Dolphins new Head Coach

It really happened and it’s in the books, Brian Flores is the 13th Head Coach of the Miami Dolphins. Thirteen, that’s a good number. Dan Marino and Jake Scott, 2 excellent players for this franchise wore #13. On Sunday night, February 3rd, Brian Flores gave his last performance for his former team, the New England Patriots, and it was a masterful symphony. Sean McVay, Head Coach of the Los Angeles Rams had no answer for the Patriots defense. The young superstar HC, who most teams are out there looking for the next Sean McVay was completely out coached by Belichick and Flores. Most fans were in awe of the defensive talent of the Los Angeles Rams, with players like DT’s Aaron Donald, and Ndamukong Suh, but it was the lesser known players like Kyle Van Noy and Stephon Gilmore who followed a clever script written by our new Head Coach that won the day.

That was then, this is now. Brian Flores is no longer part of the machine that is known as the New England Patriots. Bill Belichick will no longer be hand picking his roster, finding gems in the draft that no other team considered, picking up cast offs from other teams that fit the Patriot way. It’s now on GM Chris Grier and himself to come up with their own gems, and I’m sure Brian Flores will not necessarily be a clone of Bill Belichick, I’m sure he has his own ideas, but they will be similar to those of Bill Belichick and the Patriots. Flores says he want to play with multiple fronts, he doesn’t want to be solely a 3-4 defense or a 4-3 defense, but instead be able to play either or both in the same game. Adaptability, change to what thwarts your opponent. He wants to be a physical team, on both sides of the ball.

How Grier and Flores shape this team will be interesting. I look forward to seeing how both Flores and Grier work together to remake this roster. You all know the players I would trade or cut, but do Flores and Grier share the same strategy? Probably not. BBM mentioned that backup LB Chase Allen shares many physical traits and skills with New England Patriots LB Kyle Van Noy, which is quite accurate. Both players are 6’3 250 with sub 4.7 speed, very quick shuttle speeds and 10 yard splits. In Allen’s rookie season, he was forced to play in all 16 games, starting 4 due to the Raekwon McMillan injury. Speaking of Raekwon, could he be our version of Dont’a Hightower? Is Minkah Fitzpatrick our Patrick Chung? I think Minkah is a much better player than Chung, but Chung is the signal caller on that defense, and Belichick was visibly upset when his leader went down in the SB. Minkah can be that player, he studies constantly and strives for greatness, and Flores will love working with him.

I reserve judgement until things start happening. I’m excited, because I think Flores is a quality coach, a dedicated and thorough man with a good strategy for our team. I’m nervous because we just never know how much success is due to the individual coach, or just the replaceable cog in the big Belichick machine. I’m not going to cite the failures of past disciples of Belichick because they don’t mean anything and aren’t relevant except for the one fact that they all came from the Patriots machine. How much is each part worth? We will find out soon enough. I’ll leave you with this for whatever it’s worth, I like Flores’ personality much better than the previous HC’s like Adam Gase and Joe Philbin. It’s not even close!

The Miami Dolphins have hired Chad O’Shea as Offensive Coordinator, and Tiquan Underwood as Offensive Quality Control

465 Responses to Official – Brian Flores is the Miami Dolphins new Head Coach

Ok, here is my “we are going multiple fronts 3/4-4/3 draft. Traded back 4 spots in the first for an additional 2nd round pick.

YOUR TEAM
    MIAMI DOLPHINS
    YOUR PICKS
    1: R1P18 EDGE BRIAN BURNS FLORIDA STATE
    2: R2P16 C DALTON RISNER KANSAS STATE
    3: R2P18 CB JULIAN LOVE NOTRE DAME
    4: R3P14 G BEAU BENZSCHAWEL WISCONSIN
    5: R4P14 LB TREVON CONEY NOTRE DAME
    6: R5P13 LB TRE LAMAR CLEMSON
    7: R6P15 LB KHALIL HODGE BUFFALO
    8: R7P15 DL TERRY BECKNER JR MISSOURI

Of course I am still trying to fix the O-line too!

naplesfan2010 says:
    February 6, 2019 at 5:54 am
    _________________________________________________________

he may not be as good as stills but he’s on a rookie contract and if he’s taken in the 3rd round you can bet he’s a top 10-20 rec in college football

what are the odds that he will make it the 5 years of his contract? shouldn’t be very high as the last coach to coach here through 5 years was Don Shula.

Julian Love from my draft above only had one Pick but he also had 16 passes defensed.

Brian Burns had 10 sacks plus 15 tackles for a loss last season.

Here’s where it gets tough for you draft crazy people. More than anything, the one thing you will not have access to, the team/player interviews will mean more than the combine stats and player stats, or at least just as much.

No comments on my mock draft……Too Early or just a crappy attempt?

I think it is pretty good filling some needs at CB, front 7 and O-line. Get the system installed and go!

Rock – I think it’s going to be harder to guess who we will be drafting these days. I mean it’s always difficult, but if Flores is anything like Belichick it’s those interviews and players attitudes that we will be looking for as much as physical attributes.

He said we’re going to be multiple. So it will be guys who can grasp concepts quickly and have the ability to play out of different sets frequently. Smart guys like Minkah.

“I’m nervous because we just never know how much success is due to the individual coach”…. me too Mike E. Easy to make the warehouse run great at the business, but a whole different thing when you run the whole company. But that the risk of a 1st time HC, says a guy who thought Gase was the one we’d been looking for… least to start. And another awesome article.

Yeah, that’s a good analogy. Gase is another big reason I’m nervous, because I think we all believed at the very least, Gase would have us humming offensively, but that never really happened. Now we turn our hope to Brian Flores, and hope that not only will he bale to turn the defense around, but build a team for long term success, and find the right players, and coach those players for success.

Randy – I was watching the NFL channel and the ticker on the bottom showed Daniel Jeremiah’s Mock Draft. he has your boy T.J. Hockenson going 8th overall to the Detroit Lions.

D says:
    February 6, 2019 at 12:21 pm

son of a son of a shula says:
    February 5, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Mike, fatutzt to be honest
    ——————————————-
    Fatootsed — to be frustrated.

son of a son of a shula says:
    February 6, 2019 at 11:18 am

———————————————————-
    Minkah become a key player for us in that defense, because he can remain at one position (most likely safety) and then Flores can move him around and use him differently without having to make him swap positions. I think Howard fits his system pretty well too, and Baker fits that system pretty well though maybe used a little differently than he was previously.

I’m curious to see if BBM is right with Chase Allen. I can actually see that. I liked Allen out there, kid was always around the football, but I think he can use some coaching and we might really get a return on him

Allen would be a SLB in that system, but would be shifted around to the MLB some too. LB is a fluid designation in the system that the Patriots have, so the LB’s that become less useful are the ones without any secondary position strengths. McMillian is starting to come along but right now he is pretty 1 dimensional, and Kiko is too sorta.

naplesfan2010 says:
    February 6, 2019 at 5:54 am
    I just don’t know where you are going to find replacements for 34 guys out of 53 in one FA and draft. Say we trade Stills for a 3rd, why would that rookie be a certainty to be as good as Stills.
    —————————————
    Why wouldnt they? Stills is as good as Stills and he was a 5th round pick.

MikeE,
    Yeah, Jeremiah texted me to let me know he was taking my opinion! Lol
    ***
    That is a little higher than I’d anticipate he’d be picked, but the kid has skills. He already looks like an NFL player. I just think there’s very little risk with him. Coaches will love his film.

I agree he is a solid prospect, but i think thats pretty high for him to be picked, i think 1st round is haig for him period, maybe to NE with the last pick int he first, but 1st in general seems a bit much. None of the TE’s in this draft are first round guys.

So Flores and now O’Shea hires are official, any others?

D,
    I disagree, but I don’t particularly care where he gets drafted….that doesn’t define players. Hockenson is a complete TE. he can block and run great routes. He’s a mismatch on safeties and LBers. He will be a serious weapon in the NFL, I believe. He isn’t even fully developed yet. Hawkeye bias noted though. Lol

Field Yates@FieldYates
    Now official: the Dolphins are hiring Patriots WR coach Chad O’Shea as their new offensive coordinator, per source.
    ————-
    And D don’t need to send you a beer on that. Sure does sound like btwn Grier, Flores, and now OC O’Shea that Miami is now like a colony set up by folks fleeing evil genius rule. But how the Puritans in the Mayflower ended up landing on Plymouth Rock too. 🙂

Fant is also a 1st round prospect. He’s more of an athletic seam threat sort of TE though. He got most of the hype at Iowa, but Hockenson is more of a traditional, complete TE. I think they’ll both be good pros.

I very rarely feel a TE is a first round position, despite the prospect but if the prospect just jumps off the page, then like anything other player like that they could be taken in the first. Hockenson looks good, i agree with you on that but how good i think is where we differ. I dont think Hockenson has stood up against any real competition at S or LB, i do agree he is better than Fant, so i dont really see Fant as anything better than a mid to late second rounder. That said if another team is in a better position to use a first on him, he might get taken there, thats why im thinking NE is a good chnce for it,

So you guys are looking at TEs in the 1st round?

21. ElephantRider says:

Not liking these Foles rumors…

I’m always looking for a TE!

If the Eagles franchise Foles it will make it difficult for other teams to get him, if he gets another offer from a team and the Eagles don’t match it they get two 1st rnd picks from that team.

i just don’t think franchising him is smart for philly if they have no plans to keep him, what team will pay him more than 25 mil per year and offer up two 1st rnd picks?

I doubt Philly wants to carry that 25 mil tag on their cap.

I also heard Miami is not interested but every one else says Miami is the fav to land him.

And if the Eagles franchise Foles has to mean Wentz is on the market. If healthy that’s a kid you can build a team around.

They can trade him to a team and accept any compensation they agree on. It does not have to be the technical two 1st rd picks.

They can trade, but the franchise salary sticks. If am Foles and they franchise, I sign and say “show me the money.”

I keep seeing Foles to JAX, WAS or NYG. I see nothing about Miami being interested or that’s his likely landing spot.

They want to franchise Foles so that they can trade him and control where he goes. They want to keep him out of the NFC East. Expected to ask for a 3rd.

Stanger, Foles and his new team can agree on a contract. The franchise tag doesn’t necessarily stick.

He signs the franchise and that’s at least what he gets if sticks with the Eagles.

Yes, but I think the Eagles and Foles are both on board with what’s going on.

What would Foles get out of it if will get more money? Pretty sure he’d rather be a FA choosing his own way rather trying to get the Eagles choice of trade partner or picks in return.

27. Just a question, not to be a wise ass, but Burns is 235lbs. How does he play DE in the NFL? And he’s not a LB. I know he’s 6’5″ but are you really going to ask a guy to put on 40lbs for the season? And, if he does, how does it effect his speed and quickness?

Me? I like the ready-made guys. If they’re a little light you can beef them up but 40lbs light is tough. Even in the NFL weight room. I remember Miller putting on weight from muscle and it took some of his speed and quickness away when he ran the ball. Can’t imagine the difference 40lbs makes.

Stanger, I really have no idea what Foles wants. LOL

Neither do I. But pretty darn sure I’d take the $25 mil and run with it, even if had to put off the next team for a year. Earning it while holding a clipboard and not facing 300 lb pass rushers…. even better.

I heard yesterday that the Eagles picked up Foles option year for $20M, but Foles has a $2M buyout, which would make him a free agent. If that happened, the Eagles would then be forced to franchise tag him, which would give them control to trade him out of their division. The Eagles don’t want Foles going to Washington or the NY Giants, so that’s why they would franchise him.

What Foles gets out of it is a longer term contract as a starter.

31. ElephantRider says:

Odds makers have Foles coming to Miami….that’s what I was referring to. I dont like those odds

Philly would be thrilled to get him out of their division and out of the NFC, but I don’t see us in play for him, so I hope we’re both right.

Phelon – I’m going to guess that Tim may have glanced at that once or twice before. lol

33. ElephantRider says:

I’m sick and tired of Mando pushing the “tank” narrative. Somebody needs to bitch slap him. Rebuilding, retooling, whatever you want to call it, is not “tanking”. To imply all the FO, coaches, and players are just going to lay down all season is a slap in the face. Unless they trot out Curtis Painter at QB, i’m going to assume they are actually trying to win games.
    In short, screw Mando…he has no respect for anyone associated with the team. Nobody purposely loses, unless its boxing. LOL

ER – How about Jake “Razor” Rudock?

• ElephantRider says:

Is he gonna be our Painter? Some would say RT17 has been our Painter all along…

Losing is one thing. Not trying to win is another. I just am sick of reading this tank BS.

Tannehill is capable, just not capable enough to put a team on his back. I think he’s a complementary player, if he has everything working around him, he could win, but don’t expect him to elevate your team if they’re playing poorly

Mike, agreed. There are lots of QBs in the league that can’t carry a team. As for Tannehill, I just think it’s time for him and Miami to go their separate ways. It didn’t work out and during a rebuild now is the time for the team to start fresh. Tannehill could use a change of scenery too even if he doesn’t really want to.

• I agree with Mike. There’s nothing special about Tannehill. He’s just there. If everything is going okay he can do some things for you but if the defense is having a bad game it’s not likely he’s going to elevate the play of the offense to give the team a chance to win.

The simple answer to the ridiculous “tanking” nonsense is the team isn’t going to make moves to try to put themselves over the top and go all out to win a Super Bowl in 2019 or 2020. The End.

36. Tim,
    Point taken on Taylor but I believe he’s the exception to the rule. Guys who are skinny and underweight at DE get run at and dominated in the run game these days. I just wouldn’t want to take a chance on a guy who was undersized like we did with Dion and not get anything out of it. AGAIN.

I was looking at the HOF pass rushers, and it’s interesting. Most of the guys were about 6’3 250 or so, and very few of the top rushers were very tall, like 6’6 or taller.

I should have said top pass rushers, not just HOF, this includes current players too

• But are you talking pass rushers or true DE’s because they’re not always the same thing?

• Harris is somewhat of an example. He can’t set the edge for shit. He gets dominated and his size has a lot to do with it. I just want to see us taking guys who are ready to play the position rather than trying to turn someone into something they’re not ready to do.

Burns, and Polite, IMO are two guys who are pass rush specialists in college more than anything and play their positions very well. They use their speed to make plays and that’s why they’re so good at getting to the qb and making plays behind the line of scrimmage. Not everyone at the college level on the offensive line will be able to handle that speed and quickness. However, in the NFL, being a one trick pony isn’t going to help you a lot. JMHO

Check out the list. Most of them are DE’s, but just because they were DE’s, that doesn’t mean they were good at playing the run or setting the edge. Some of them were one dimensional. Some were just great at everything, but some were just pass rushers.

• a lot of them were pass rusher OR pass rush specialists.

Lou, Charles Haley was a beast at about 6-5 255. Edge guys who are self motivated make plays regardless of size. Lots of examples. Forget DE/OLB/Scheme. Playmakers!!! That said I’m not saying Burns is or isn’t a top prospect.

• and he was huge. he was fast and he was strong. these guys are quick and fast but have no strength. what I’m saying is if you take a guy who is 235lbs to play DE in a 4-3 you better be sure he’s going to add that strength and weight to play at the next level. Like you said, guys who are motivated. When they get to the next level and see that it’s not as easy as it was in college because, now, they’re going against the best every week, they tend to not want to work at it. that’s Dion FF.

40. So Chris Grier is quoted as saying he thinks he could possibly fall in love with a qb in this draft. So what do you take that statement as meaning?

Lou, just for the record, both Haley and JT were drafted at around 235. They were both tall, skinny athletes who got bigger and tougher. Again not saying that’s always the case.

• I understand what you are saying. I guess from my perspective, and we’ll see how the team feels about it at draft time, I’m tired of them trying to fit a square peg in a round hole or drafting a guy who doesn’t fit their scheme.

To me, you just waste too much time just trying to get the guy where you need him to be before he can even start beginning to be effective. Harris may even be another example. He’s another guy who is just a pass rusher. He’s not a defensive end. At least not just yet. Maybe he will never be one either.

• I don’t know why I’m even worried about it. I really think we’re moving in a positive direction and the evals will probably get better as well. Like you said, guys who will play the game at a high level.

That’s what they want and they probably have somewhat of a prototype of what they’re looking for. I’m actually not even doing all the pre-draft stuff I used to do with players because I know I’m not going to come close to what they’re going to go after and I have a lot of faith in this staff that they will get it right more often than not

Lou – Wouldn’t you be thrilled to have a guy who can give you 15-20 sacks a season, even if he was just a pass rusher, and not great at the run?

43. ElephantRider says:

This isnt baseball. You cant buy a SB. How’d that year work out with all those former 1st rounders here…..mediocre.

Not going out and spending top money on FAs doesnt mean tanking…at least to me. It means building a team instead of piecing one together. I guess that means tanking nowadays.

• ElephantRider says:

If anything…we all should be excited. Been signing those big money, top FAs for years now and where did that get us?

I am excited ER. It’s about time. I’m a huge Mets fan and I was hoping and praying they were tear it down and rebuild, and they went completely the opposite. They picked up old guys and bad contracts and traded young prospects away to try and win now. I hate it, but I have no choice but to hope it works and win a championship, or at least contend for one.

• look at how many 1st rounders the Rams have on defense. their window of opportunity is very small because they’re never going to be able to re-sign all those guys over the next couple years.

So, yeah, FA is not the best way to go about it. I agree. Build your team. Get players thru the draft, find some gems as udfa’s as well and sprinkle in some free agents you sign either to shore up maybe just one position with a starter or to add some valuable depth.

but your core needs to be the guys you pick up in the draft and after the draft.

LOL! Yes, and Happy Birthday to Bob Marley today! 😀

He would have been 74 years old today.

Love the guy. My uncle who passed away a few years ago turned me onto him when I was just a kid. I grew up with Marley music. It’s the best summer music or if you’re down, that there is. At least to me.

Even though You’d like a guy who can both stop the run and get sacks, there are ways to work around a guy who’s weak at setting the edge….which has more to do with technique and alignment than size and strength. There really is no way to work around a guy who can’t get sacks. It really all depends on how you play your defense.
    ***
    The other thing I’ve always felt is that you can teach a guy to become better at stopping the run. It’s much harder to coach a guy into becoming a high end sack guy. They either are, or they’re not.

46. ElephantRider says:

This has been our time of year recently……offseason.
    Let hope reign and wishful thoughts for the coming year.
    Dont go pissing in my corn flakes with this tanking talk BS!!

Anybody else catch what the @MMQB (Peter King’s little ditty) did earlier? They were reporting on Vince Young getting another DWI, but put a picture of Ricky Williams as Vince Young (Longhorns picture).

Several people got back to the @MMQB, saying how fucked up that was to do… do they think all blacks look alike or was just a big joke on Ricky. They removed the whole story from their website as far as I can tell. I saw a screen-shot of it earlier this morning, posted by another Twitter user.

For the love of God, Ricky and Vince look NOTHING alike! And when ya see the mugshot of Vince Young (the story was true that Vince got another DWI), you’ll see.

I’m not the one to get TOTALLY up-in-arms about this kind of thing (I understand certain people have difficulty), but C’MON!!! These are pro-football writers!!! SMMFH 😡

Ah! Here’s the pic. Does this look like Vince Young to you? Or does it look like Ricky Williams?

I’m on a plane to London right now

February 6, 2019 at 9:08 pm
    ————–
    RIP to your uncle… I remember you posting it here when he passed.

Marley has grown on me as I’ve gotten older. Music runs deep in his family and I’ve become somewhat familiar with his next of kin before I started appreciating Bob himself.

To be sure, Bob was INCREDIBLE! He is certainly a legend, and I’ve really come around to enjoying what he gave to humanity what with his music.

51. ElephantRider says:

M

You watching Big Brother? I’m not, but maybe it’s worth checking out for Ricky

I’m serious

I’m on a plane to London

I’m flying Virgin Atlantic
    I never want to fly jetblue again
    This airline is amazing

we’ve been saying for a while here that Ross does not hire experienced HC’s, and he’s done that again with Flores, but Flores is trying to hire experienced HC’s in Caldwell and Capers, which may be a good thing.
    they bring with them the experience to run a team.

every one is wondering after a loss in the SB why Mcvay didn’t use Gurley more, wondering if he was still injured.
    i’ll tell you why they didn’t use Gurley that much, it was because CJ Anderson was more effective in power running in the Dallas and NO’s games than Gurley was

Today is my Birthday, party time, suppose to meet my sister for dinner at Longhorn. but first GOLF!

Happy Birthday Orob, hope you get some birdies for your birthday!

Happy, Happy Orob…tried to pics of golf cakes that didn’t show, so just have to leave it a that

I think if the guy said it he means it, but the statement also wasn’t a definite it was an open ended comment to cause crazy people like us to interpret it as we want. I think its foolish of us to think that there aren’t QB prospects this year we wouldn’t take in the first. There are definitely prospects this year that we and many others are going to have on our board at the top. I understand with some of you, its about not wanting to do that but you also dont know what position we will be in next year or the next, and bird in the hand, if they like the guy might be enough to pull the trigger.

Im not saying they will, im just saying i dont see how that can be discounted. They know what they think about those guys, they know if its worth it to select one at 13 or trade up or trade back or whatever. I think what was being said was there were QB’s in this group good enough to take, good enough for them to be considering to lead this team. Hell we might would select one and turn around and select again if the situation called for it. We might take in the second and then grab a first round guy in 2020, its going to matter a lot about how the draft falls so i dont think there is really any way of knowing what the feel about those guys until we start getting further int he process.

So far we really only have EW Shrine and Senior Bowl to go off of, and they met with most the top prospects in both of those events, so im leaning towards that being a solid statement (ie not smoke) made by Grier though its not really conclusive enough to know what round and what guy. I think they will be strongly considering the idea of selecting a QB in whatever round they feel is appropriate, and i also think they though would not likely sacrifice at another position to do it.

My best guess is that they probably wouldn’t trade up, but they also would consider taking the right guy at 13, they probably also would consider a trade back if the draft capital gained helped the team more. I do think they will select a QB somewhere int he draft, and i think probably at the very latest early day 3.

I also dont think there will be any “tanking” there will be rebuilding without concern for the W/L record next season. If they get things off to the right track, i think they ride with it and if they can win 8 games or more, they will do it. That plays back to why i think if they have a shot at a QB they lik, they will take it, because its possible we miss a shot at any of the top guys next year anyways, you cant project a selection 2 years in advance, its just not feasible, people can return to school, they can get injured, we could be drafting 15th or 20th, we might trade a pick to puick up a guy in the offseason and need the picks in 2020. Who knows.

59. BailBondMike says:

Happy B-day Rob!! Great weather for golf. Which is what I should have done this week instead of hunting. It is the last week of hunting in Alabama and it was too warm. The deer were moving but it was still like April weather.

Average cost for a 30 second Superbowl ad this year cost was $5.2 million. That gets you a pretty good if not great starting LB or OL for a whole year. Guess the reports of the NFL’s demise was premature.

Man this Mando article, while i dont completely disagree with what he is saying, is really narcissistic the way he wrote it.

62. BailBondMike says:

D, yeah I did miss out. I had to go to TN last week. They killed two 11 point and one 10 last week. I was sick to my stomach. They are finally starting to chase doe. There are bunch of huge deer up there though. There have been 8 taken that were 10 or better this year and only 1 was 1 of 7 we caught on camera. There is a massive 13 we got on camera but dude is just to smart. We are only allowed to shoot trophy bucks or bucks who need to be removed from the gene pool. Unfortunately, I am done for the season. Our camp is up in Clarke county about 15 miles NW of Coffeeville. We have a lease on 6100 acres but sub leased 1870 acres to gain some money back. 6100 acres was just to much for just 8 current members. Plan is to get to 12 members by May and we won’t sub lease the 1870 anymore. Since we are trophy hunting only we want to keep it at about 500 acres per member. We are also subleasing the whole property to a group of doctors from Montgomery for turkey season. They are paying 3K a piece but that also includes use of our entire facilities. This is our 1st year with this property and are going all in. Including the 1870, we will have 51 shooting houses on planted plots. We even invested in a remote controlled hog trap so we can thin them out. It’s nice. Motion camera sends alert to phone and once we see a few hogs in there we just click a button on the app and the gate drops. We are over run by them and have trapped about 25 hogs. They donated more than half the meat. I’m not sure to who though. Snosage anyone?

Sorry Piggy!

Won’t catch Piggy this week, he’s in London

• BailBondMike says:

LOL

• BailBondMike says:

We haven’t baited with corn and peanuts in 2 months. Kept having a bear get in there and eating everything. He would even sleep in there to make sure nothing would come in and eat his food. LOL

“6100 acres was just to much for just 8 current members.”…. that is a huge amount of land. Do the people you lease from do something else with it?

And not a hunter, but get it. But might spend how well you know them. At my parents house deer were like pests with long legs, but had a group of turkeys who would show up each day for us to feed. We got to know them.

A lot will do tree farming on their land and clear certain parts of it every so often and re-plant. Som also have chicken farms or other livestock they have and rotate the fields they are in. I dont know about BBMike’s place but i have seen a few places that open their property to hunters that are doing those things with it.

Was just curious how that works, and you just helped explain some of the possibilities. Same time there is some mighty cheap land out there. Might not be good for houses, but sure is for hunting.

Hmmm i wonder if its time for a couple dolphins TE’s to come home. Clay and Simms are cut options by their teams right now, and both of them would likely fin in a Patriot like system (an thats an IF we somewhat model it after the Patriots). I know we wont spend big on FA’s, or at least thats the indication we are being given, but if they are cut and we get them back on the cheap id consider either of them for a return.

Happy Birthday ORob!

We seem pretty deep with TE’s, Gesicki, Smythe, O’Leary and possible Gray, if he’s healthy enough

So basically Mando’s article is all about him getting his story out. The team will make their decisions when they decide to. They don’t have to give a reporter a heads up. When they make their moves we’ll all know. Same for you Mando! LOL

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone….D i’m in a holding pattern on the age, Son nothing better than a birthday birdie but i would prefer a hole in one, seeing as i only had 1 i’m not holding my breath. The last thing i need is a cake Stanger.
    BBM, my friends sister owns a lot of property in western penn, she lets people hunt on her land and they give her deer meat which she sends to her brother in S FL, he is in the process of sending me some UPS, he just got a bunch of boxes today.

69. BailBondMike says:

Stanger, They make tons of money off that land from our lease, lumber (it’s all cultivated pine forest) and they have several oil wells.

Where in Alabama did you say it was?

Nevermind i just found where you said it was near Coffeeville, i know right where thats at, its actually not too far from me. They have some bigger bucks up that way, but if you go up even further north you get some really big ones. I have been invited to come up to Wisconsin to hunt, and they have monster there, their small ones are bigger than our big ones.

Sounds like they have their business model and it works. Including that the hunting rights you pay for are the gravy. Do they actively stop other hunters? Not trying to get in your business just curious.

To all of attorneys on the board – Your profession sucks. Sweet Baby Jesus, $700 an hour to have this dude read my subcontract to me.

At 7 bills, that is one serious lawyer. Keep your contacts short. Includes storing up Qs you have and asking them all in one e-mail.

ORob – Had my first golf lesson today.

$700 oughta cover a few golf lessons

Happy B-Day, ORob! I hope you enjoyed your day.

Phelon – Just how many golf lessons would it cover?

Mike, it will be interesting to see if we keep a FB. He’ll have to be a STs contributor because he may only play 8-10 snaps per game on offense.

Yeah, NE didn’t use a FB often, but the FB definitely made an impact Also, Flores isn’t Belichick, so he will have his own ideas on that as well

A lot will depend on what Chad O’Shea wants to do on offense. What will be the bread & butter of his offense? Hopefully utilizing TEs. LOL

LOL Tim – I don’t think I can stomach another season of completely ignoring the TE’s. Gesicki should be a potent weapon

77. BailBondMike says:

D, I thought you would know right where it was.

I’m going to be pissed if they draft a FB this year!

Mike – Lessons are $50 each or 5 for $200. Seems to be pretty consistent pricing no matter where you are.

80. BailBondMike says:

Stanger, the great thing about the property is there are only 2 dirt road accesses to it both with locked gates. Only people with keys are us, owner, logging co. and company managing their oil production. Oh, and wildlife management.

Wyo -Why is that? Is it because you drafted a FB every year in your First Pick drafts?

Yeah the Wyoming FB can’t remember his name. He picked him in the 6th or 7th rd every time. LOL

I remember there was Zach Zenner, but that’s not him. There was also Jaylen Samuels, but it’s not him either.

He wasn’t from Wyoming it was the Oklahoma FB Flowers

The pats use Develin a lot so I could see us utilizing a guy like him.

You would think O’Shea will run an offense similar to the one he’s been coaching for 10 years. He might have some stuff he likes more than others, but I would think it’s going to be similar to what the Pats do, which is similar to what a lot of teams run. They just do it very well both rush and pass.

The new mantra is about becoming more physical overall so we’ll likely want to be a good rushing team.

Sonny – Yeah man, it’s coming back to me now (Flowers)

That’s right we could have had Flowers catching passes and blocking last year!

But there is a good one from a small school in Texas that they could get this year! 😉

By the way I’ve wanted a FB for YEARS!!!!!!!

Pass catching FB that is!
      1 yard getter!

To me if we’re going to keep a Fullback I want a hammer blocker, short yardage rusher and then pass catching. We have two RBs who can catch passes in Drake and Ballage. Then when you look at the WRs and TEs, not too many passes are going to go to the Fullback.

Think Roger Crieg and Tom Rathman!

“Each game is different. Each opponent is different,” Flores said during his press conference. “Their strengths, their weaknesses are different every week, so every week we’re coming up with a different plan. A lot of that is tied to who you have personnel-wise, what we can do versus what they can do. It could be different every week. I think in this game, you have to be multiple. If you sit in one thing, the coaches are too good.”

WHAT!!?? You mean you don’t run the same plays again and again no matter what the opponent does to counter your choices?

I am liking Flores more and more. I am not drinking the Koolaid yet though.

Fullbacks in today’s NFL are really heavyset running backs not true fullback

I think the pieces on offense that Flores like the best was Drake and ballage and maybe a couple of the receivers like amendola and Wilson

Yeah, Von Miller was 250, he sucked.

Look at quadree Olison as a current fb type player. Probably a 5th or 6th rounder. A lead back who could also take a short yardage handoff

Big, small, fast, not as fast, just bring in FOOTBALL players. Screw “Athletes”

Sorry my posts are replies to old discussions, I’m just catching up after being gone a couple of days.

my biggest concern about this “new dolphins front offices” is that it is STILL the same scouting department that has missed for the past 15 years. The core guys are still the same and / or been promoted. Through all the GM and coaching changes the same scouts have been in place for the most part.

Is this where the problem has been? Stay tuned.

They drafted and added plenty of good players. The team was never built properly and went through a lot of change often. I happen to like Grier so I’m not worried about him. We also added asst. GM Marvin Allen from BUF who has a very good reputation as a personnel man. Just because a company hasn’t had a lot of success for awhile doesn’t mean some of the people who worked there aren’t good at what they do. Grier, Allen and Flores have never worked together. That’s where the key decisions are coming from and Grier and Flores never held these top positions. So to me it’s a reset.

Happy Birthday ROB!

Tough and physical starts in the trenches. Easy to say. Hard to do. We have a long way to go.

I thought the line was fine? We just need a QB…….

Agreed and never said it would be easy. I expect a 2 year rebuild plan and then in 2021 we aim to contend. That means three offseasons of talent acquisitions in both FA and the draft – along with the new coaching staff implementing their philosophies and culture.

son of a son of a shula says:
    February 7, 2019 at 7:50 pm
    He wasn’t from Wyoming it was the Oklahoma FB Flowers
    ————–
    Yup… and Oklahoma has produced a couple of good ones in recent years: the aforementioned Dimitri Flowers, and Damien Williams’ teammate at Oklahoma, Trey Millard (<– injuries have hurt his NFL career thus far).

It would be nice to get our next Lousaka Polite for our short-yardage sits.

Dimitri Flowers was my favorite 5th- 6th round pick too. I drafted him in nearly every mock I did. LOL

Rock,
    Lol. I never once said that. Neither helped each other much.

There are no fullbacks in College football anymore. It’s funny, you can sort by player type on fanspeak’s mock draft and this year they don’t list a single player.

Teams use TE, OL, DL and LB in those situations where you want a lead FB. Most teams don’t play much pro set anymore, and I’m a fan of it. It’s just the way it is.

That’s why if we want to discover a FB, we’ve got to extrapolate from the Combine, player history, and game tape. Bigger RBs, TEs, and LBs are our prime candidates if we wish to find one.

To me year one of a rebuild is for the new HC Flores to establish his culture and core beliefs. The top personnel people (Grier) along with the HC clean house of players who don’t fit what they’re looking for, regain a better cap situation, bring in players who fit what they’re looking for, sans big spending in FA and focus on the draft. Teach fundamentals and the new systems and go through the learning curves to set up phase 2 for 2020.

Flores is gonna find out things are a lot harder without Brady at QB. Brady is able to be a second HC on the field and demand that guys work just as hard as he does. It’s also why we need to find the right QB. It can make a huge difference….unlike any other position on the field. We need to find a leader. It can’t just be the HC. it has to be a player on the field.

Just for YOU, Randy!

ROCKPHIN: I think many of your concerns about the scouting department are well founded. I hope that the house cleaning in that department is still ongoing and not yet complete. But, to be fair, the old scouting department DID FIND jewels in the rough, like AJAYI and a certain wide receiver who now plays for the Browns. These picks were pissed away for next to nothing by an incompetent head coach who, praise Jesus, was sent to the football hell known as the Jets!! However, the bottom line is this: the scouting department HAS NOT found us enough of these jewels to make the Dolphins legitimate Super Bowl contenders during the 72-90 Steve Ross era. And that’s a FACT!
    —————-
    OCALA ROB: Happy birthday, big guy!! Hope someone special gives you what you REALLY WANT today!!
    —————-
    Mr. SPIKES: Hope you get a chance to see THE GREEN BOOK this weekend.
    Time to walk the doggies and call it a night. I’m out!

• ocalarob says:

Thanks OD, I want for nothing except Miami to be competitive, most people think when they die they go to heaven, my outlook is that i’m in heaven now.

M13,
    Hockenson is a complete TE. He plays tough and can block. He’s gonna get even bigger and stronger in the NFL. I don’t see a lot of downside to his game.

Rockphin says:
    February 7, 2019 at 9:28 pm
    Happy Birthday ROB!
    mf13ss says:
    February 7, 2019 at 6:34 pm
    Happy B-Day, ORob! I hope you enjoyed your day.
    __________________________________________________

Thanks guys

with TJ and Rashad you have 2 safeties that should be in the box, maybe some of the drop off in run support has to do with Jones playing FS. we need to have another shutdown corner and get Minkah back to FS.

I read that Howard wants to renegotiate a long term deal but if he doesn’t he will happily play out his contract this year which is great news that he won’t holdout.

should we deal with this now to maybe save money down the road?

should we look to trade him for picks?

we could also franchise him in 2020

i did get a present from one of my sisters, I got an unopened Mel Tillis greatest hits CD, now some might think…big deal…..but it was………a great present.

you see my sister was Mel Tillis in home nurse prior to his death last year and that CD came directly from him.

RIP..the stuttering cowboy

Im actually pretty fond of Mel Tillis, very different sound hearing him sing vs hearing him talk. Very strange how calm singing made him,and it cam off in his music. There are a lot of the classic country guys i like a good bit,

Landry at $15.1M per season was just pissed away? If that’s so, the best leak we ever took!

“They aren’t tanking—that’s such an ugly, misleading term—they just aren’t kidding themselves anymore.“

I think its more of fcing the fact that a rebuild goes all the way down to the foundation. Builing on a bad foundation will leave you with something that at best is going to have a short life. We should have done it each time before and its possible if Gase had done that when he got here, it would have worked out for him.

I wonder if Amendola would take a extension of two years 8mil 4mil guaranteed to get his salary and cap hit down this year. If Flores likes him it wouldnt be a bad move, since we’d have a coach that knows how the Pats run a team, a OC that would be on the same page with the offensive calls and a player-coach on the field that also could helps with the WR room. I think at 6mil Amendola is a possible target for cut, but i think he is worth close to that anyways and id like to see hm around a year or two more.

113. Phindog says:

Cameron Wolfe

@CameronWolfe

Dolphins re-signed LS John Denney, his agent @iangreengross says. Denney is the longest tenured Dolphins player being with the team since 2005.

FUCK! I’m done! Flores just lost all credibility!

LOL – Flores’ first move is a dickslap to ROCK.

D, Amendola is on the books in 2019 for $6M and becomes a UFA in 2020. If we released him this year there would be no dead cap either. I don’t see any reason to redo his deal. There are other players who can give us more cap savings than him.

117. BailBondMike says:

I think if you want a prototypical FB then you draft a guy like Alec Ingold from Wisconsin. BUT, I prefer a player who could fill that role but be a huge playmaker in so many ways and that is 5’11” 240 lb WR/RB/FB Tyre McCants from USF. Yes, he played WR at 240lbs! Check him out in this video dragging a DB the last 15 yards in to the endzone.

118. BailBondMike says:

Again, he is playing WR at 240 lbs most of this video. He is a beast and a very good dual threat.

MAN CRUSH!

February 8, 2019 at 1:09 pm

———————————————-
    I know, but the extension actually give him guarantees. I dont wanna cut the guys salary down too much i think he is worth 4mil, but every little bit helps and extending him would put him in the plans for 2020 and it would give him a guarantee. If he gets hurt this year, or whatever, they could cut him and he would just be out his paycheck, if i were him id look to turn some of that into guaranteed money even at the cost of losing a little bit of annual money.

I wonder if he even wants to be a part of a rebuild at 33 years old? He could help a contender.

He’s already been part of superbowls though, i think he is looking for a place he feels comfortable, and maybe thats with the Dolphins with his old coach now here with him, or maybe its not. Im not sure either. Id almost bet though there is going to be someone approaching him about his contract in the next few months. We will see then what his motivations are.

As far as a I’m concerned, we can cut Amendola. I’d prefer that Flores not lean on players to “Bring the culture”, especially one like Amendola that gets hurt all the time. JMO, I’d let him walk. We’re not the Patriots, we’re the Dolphins.

I dunno, players who match your mentality on wat players should be and carry the culture you are trying to establish help a lot. IMO there are playes on your team you keep because they do more than just provide you with a skilled player, sometimes they are even more to the team.

Like i said i see Amendola as a valuable piece, but i dont see him as a irreplaceable, so id try to negotiate his salary down, but id try to retain him at a better price. He actually contributed pretty well last year.

Actually, that’s not really fair. He’s been relatively healthy the last 4 years, so forget that part of the equation.

For what its worth, Amendola was the healthiest receiver we had last year for the number of snaps he played.

If we’re going younger and looking to develop young players the first couple of seasons, not sure how Amendola fits that criteria as a 33 year old player with one year left on his deal.

It’s funny, the word tanking is out there, rebuilding, retooling, yet nobody wants to part with a lot of the vets. This isn’t directed at you, D. Some fans and even some in the media have made comments like that. If we’re going to do this rebuild right, just do it. The idea is by 2021 we have a team that can contend and most of the vets on the team won’t be part of that.

121. BailBondMike says:

Mike E, Not sure about his blocking skills. He is a unique talent at his size. He seems like he can be a “do it all” type player to me. From what I read, many fans wanted him to be the starting RB for USF this past season but they kept him at WR most of the time. So not much tape on his blocking except for some down field stuff.

Yeah ill part with any of the vets i think really dont benefit the rebuild, i just feel like Amendola could be one of the ones that does, and thats just because of his affiliation with the new HC and the new OC. I see him as a bridge player.

Wake, unfortunately is one, and id very sadly let him walk in FA unless he was willing to come back for a significant discount. I dont think thats fair to him and i dont think that it would be fair to expect him from seeking out a contender to play for in his last few years.

In fact id say that most the older more expensive guys would be targets for me for trade, or cut or let walk in FA. I dont think though that every vet or ever player who is expensive dont offer so much more as far as intangibles that they arent worth keeping. So i guess i agree with you, but i dont fully agree, its just not so cut and dry for me.

Here are our FA’s and what id do with them.
    Cameron Wake (make a offer thats team friendly, let him walk if he doesnt take it)
    William Hayes (make a offer thats team friendly, let him walk if he doesnt take it)
    Ja’Wuan James (make a offer thats team friendly, let him walk if he doesnt take it)
    Stephone Anthony (walk)
    Frank Gore (walk)
    MarQueis Gray (walk)
    John Denney (signed)
    Ziggy Hood (walk)
    Sam Young (walk)
    David Fales (walk)
    Brock Osweiler (walk)
    Travis Swanson (minimum contract)
    Brandon Bolden (minimum contract)
    Sylvester Williams (walk)
    Wesley Johnson (walk)
    Mike Hull (offer)
    Leonte Carroo (walk)
    Jake Brendel (walk)
    A.J. Derby (walk)
    Senorise Perry (walk)
    ————————————————
    James is the only one id offer serious money to to stay, and by that i mean more than a 5mil a year type offer. Still im not offering top player money to anyone. I also dont know that i would feel good about making a big offer to Howard either, not even next year. I might tag him and make that decision in 2021, but if i got the right trade offer for him im really going to be considering it, especially if the offer is a first round selection.

so what is the play to replace those 16 out of 53 players? (30% of roster?)

D, I think it’s time to let Wake go. I don’t think Hayes who will be 34 in May and coming off of season ending ACL surgery makes sense for us. James will likely get more than $5M per on the open market.

Other than that I think you’re probably accurate. What about Parker?

Rock, you think it will be difficult to replace a lot of those players?

Mando doing his thing. We hired one coach from the Jets in Karl Dorrell who has coached for a lot of teams including us in the past. The Jets have obviously hired a few Dolphins coaches because of Gase.

Stanger, yes if that’s D’s number on James just consider him walk. LOL

No i said he would be the only one i made more than a 5mil per year offer too. Id offer him 8-9mil per

My bad. I have no idea what Grier and the new staff think of him. I’d prefer to move on from him but not my call.

Wake i would make a 5mil per offer to. One-two year with maybe one year guaranteed. About the same or a little less for Hayes.

Rock, those guys are gone anyways, they are not on the roster for next year, and im sure there are ways to fill out the 53 that doesnt require re-signing them. I dont think any of those guys were keepers. Let Flores get his guy to replace them whether that be from the draft or cheap FA pickups.

^
      We’re likely going to sign a dozen or more bottom and mid-tier FAs to low one and 2 tear deals and see which ones stick long-term. I expect us to sign a lot of UDFAs this year as well.

I believe James is an above average RT, and the top ones get 12per. I dont see him as a top one but i think 8-9mil is about the range he fits in. Morgan Moses just got 8 per and James has been better than him.

So Cadwall is the “official” QB coach for the Dolphins. I guess the rumors about the QB coach from that pats was false.

February 8, 2019 at 3:07 pm
    Rock, you think it will be difficult to replace a lot of those players?

No, especially since many of them are backups. My point was you just cant cut them and not replace them. My GUESS will be that they bring a good portion of them back (don’t ask me for a percentage quote)

I doubt they will bring them back, they are going to go out and get replacement players they like not that the previous coaching staff liked.

Like D said, they’re not being cut, they’re all UFAs. You just replace all or most of them with new players.

I could see us cutting some big fat too ad andding a couple decent guys to our team, like i wouldn’t be shocked if we went after Trey Flowers at DE, i dont know how much we would offer but i would think we would be making one.

I like Frank Clark, and he’s not even 26

I think he is really gonna get paid this year. I like him too, but Flower also is going to give us a guy with scheme versatility. Flowers is 25.

Maybe Danny Shelton too

Yeah I’ve mentioned Flowers a few times. He’s likely going to get a big contract. Not sure how big and don’t know if we’ll go there even for a young player.

I think his strength is scheme versatility and thats not what puts zeros on your paycheck its the sack numbers and TFL. Flowers is a really solid player, well rounded. I think Clark gets a lot more money than Flowers.

If we cut Branch, by himself i think we could sign Flowers for what we get back cutting Branch.

We can draft DE all day, but it would be nice to actually have some talent there. Harris is still very much up in the air, Quinn should be gone, so what do we have? I can see spending some $$$ on a guy like Flowers or Clark

If we wind up cutting Branch, Quinn and letting Wake walk we almost have to spend some money in FA at DE.

Wake’s contract is already off the books.

As for Clark vs. Flowers, I’m just going by Flores knowing Flowers very well.

Shelton would give us a big NT run stuffer to help us when we were in 3-4 looks and we could get him for what we are paying Spence right now.

I know Harris is a ? but i could see him doing well in this new system where he will stand up as an OLB some of the time. getting rid of Branch, Quinn and letting Wake and Hayes walk, then signing Flowers/Clark we would have starters penciled in as that guy and Harris. We add some depth guys behind them and maybe again in 2020 if we didnt get anything out of the DE’s we drafted. Id be happy with Harris opposint Clark or Flowers.

I kinda feel like Godchaux could probably play DE, especially int he 3-4 looks. He wouldt be a pass rush kinda guy but i dont think he would be shitty out there either. He played some 5 tech at LSU

I agree on Godchaux as a 3-4 end

I think so too and he’ll get the chance to prove it. He’s an easy guy to keep around and see if he fits the future being on a 5th rd contract with 2 years left. He’s also a high character guy with a non-stop motor.

Bring back Soliai! (JK)

I don’t think they are going to necessarily go with ONLY young guys. They will bring in cheeper older vets too to fill in the gaps.

138. ElephantRider says:

I’d resign Gore in a heartbeat. Dude is an asset in and off the field.

• ElephantRider says:

Well maybe not in the field….he no Jimmy Hoffa

A rare occasion, but I couldn’t disagree more. It’s time for Drake to shine, and Ballage too, and all Gore would do is steal caries from both. He’s already shown them how to be a pro, it’s done.

• ElephantRider says:

I see your point Mike E

We’ll see…love watching him run. Like Moreno in his short stint here. Still think that season would have been tons better if he actually played. LOL.

I think or RB room has the right guys without Gore, but bringing him back on a contract like he was under this past year isn’t a lot of cap eaten up and there isn’t much risk.

Im with Mike though, he would be the backup, or the lesser part of a 3 man rotation, since Pats are usually rotate RB’s. I wouldnt want him to be the primary back, i didnt like them having Drake and Ballage off the field. They did a lot better toward the end after Gore went out and i think they could have been doing really well had they been utilized all year.

You see, nobody wants to go young and truly do a rebuild. LOL

• ElephantRider says:

Just Gore for me. I’ve already come to terms with Wake…..anybody else no biggie.

No im all with it, but there are some vets that i think provide some leadership and help the transition. I dont think you need just young vets either, but just vets that know the game and understand the commitment to playing it.

Players who have been in the league for 3-4 years are vets. They know what it’s like to go through offseasons, prepare to play a long season and some of them have playoff experience. You don’t have to be in the league 8, 10, 12+ seasons.

By the way, I posted a link of our official coach signings if anyone is still wondering. I heard there are a few more to come who are unknown. Not sure what role as we seem to have covered all the position coaches and quality control etc.

Gore would be better off retiring and kind of going out on top, even last year not being what im sure he hoped, wasnt an awful one and he still looked strong as a runner. Id pack it up and head home.

ER – I also think we should draft another young back at some point, so there really wouldn’t be enough carries to go around. I hope Gore gets to play on a winning team, maybe back to the Colts?

ER – Bolden is a FA, but I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if he re-signs with us

I thought Gore ran well this year. He still is an amazing crease runner. He can get low and exploit creases other backs would give up on and try to make a cut or field reversal to go around. I still think he has elite ability as far as that is concerned. I think though this year showed time catching up to him. He started to wear out toward the end of the year, his conditioning was good but his body didnt seem like it was holding up to the punishment as well. He really doesnt have anything else to prove imo, but then again, thats a personal thing and only he can decide what he still wants to accomplish.

February 8, 2019 at 4:40 pm

——————————————————
    Thats why im leaving years out of it. We need all types of players right now and quite frankly we are going to be signing some guy who we know in 2 years wont be here. A guy like Amendola, or Gore, just makes the transition easier. It helps the coaches. I dont think the fact that they are past 30 really means anything when these players have as much worth to us in the locker room or in the position group room, as they do on the field.

Still, let me ask you this. If you were getting advaice as a new parent on how to handle things, would you listen closer to the parent of 1 3-4 year old, or 2-3 ranging from 8-12. Im listening to the parent with 8-12’s because most likely they have experience a lot more than the one with one 3-4 year old. I see it the same way for the vets, the ones that have been on 2-3 different teams or have been to the playoffs 2-3 times and they 8+ years in the league a lot of times have much more to impart on a player and the other player probably listens better to them than they do to a guy who was in college at the same time as they were.

I hear ya, but I think now is the time to go with younger vets who might still be key players on our team in 3-4 years. Wake, Hayes, Gore etc. won’t be. This is the season to move on.

I also agree that a guy like Bolden who was with the Pats could be back for sure. He’s 29 but can play a lot of roles and may or may not be with us in 3-4 years, but he makes sense for now because of the role he plays.

The thing about players like Bolden and Perry is they are core STs guys and can always give you some touches in a pinch. I’d roll with Drake and Ballage this year as our main two backs. If they suffer injuries, you can use guys like Bolden and Perry, call up a young player up from the PS, or sign a guy off the street. We’re not in a situation where that could derail our playoff hopes and/or championship run. We don’t need a top 3rd back.

I would roll with Drake and Ballage as my two main backs as well. If they bring Gore back, imo its for his leadership, and intangibles and to get some of the harder yards in certain down and distance situations. If they wanna draft one of those guys i mentioned before, those grinder backs, then that works too, but we would lose the vet/coach on the field part.

I want to see Ballage given the opportunity to get those tough yards. He’s not an easy tackle.

D, parenting infants, toddlers, children, teens and young adults is not the same as professional athletes in their mid 20’s playing a game. I get what you’re saying, but many players on our team have already been around Wake, Hayes, Gore etc. Not saying no older players, just not many. This season should be a massive youth movement. You can always add some more experience in 2021 when we want to be a contending type of team. For me this is house cleaning season. Very much like when Jimmy Johnson came in.

148. BailBondMike says:

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 13: Sweat, Montez, DE, Mississippi State (B)
    Round 2 Pick 16: Benzschawel, Beau, OG, Wisconsin (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Mullen, Trayvon, CB, Clemson (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 14: Jackson, Tyree, QB, Buffalo (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Alexander, Ed, DT, LSU (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Scharping, Max, OT, Northern Illinois (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 17: Boykin, Miles, WR, Notre Dame (A+)

I wonder what your draft will look like after the combine and pro days. Will it be this one? LOL

So I guess these drafts don’t give you our two other 7th rd picks.

If we do re-sign Bolden, that’s 3 backs, we get one in the draft, or even undrafted, and we’re good with 4.

The reason we kept 5 last year is because of the change in STs rules. More guys who can run then wedge guys etc. We might keep 5 again this year but not to utilize all of them with significant touches. I think Drake and Ballage are perfect for Flores and O’Shea coming in. Both can rush, they’re very good receivers and can take it to the house. Start there and we’ll see in 2020.

Gotcha – so draft a back, and get another one undrafted.

Drake, Ballage, a rook they like, Bolden and Perry or someone else like that and we’re in good shape. Like we’ve all been saying, winning at all costs isn’t the goal this year.

Tim – I’m pissed the Phillies got Realmuto. Especially for what they had to give up. On the bright side, we signed Mesoraco to a minor league contract. Between Ramos, d’Arnaud and Mesoraco, we should be fine behind the plate. I’m just waiting for the Phillies to sign either Harper or Machado too though

151. BailBondMike says:

Tim, Yeah, First Pick was more on top of things last year. It does look like they have all the players coming out early added in already. You would think they would get the # of picks right by now. They had the supplemental picks added in within a week of them coming out last year. Not sure what the deal is.

LMAO!!!

• BailBondMike says:

OMG, really!

The problem is NOT too many coaches. The problem is too many unqualified, agenda-driven reporters covering the Dolphins.

OD, the guy who tweeted Omar was the one off here though. What does he think every other team has 3 coaches? LOL

That’s some of the craziness you see from fans. They create things that aren’t an issue and don’t exist.

153. naplesfan2010 says:

I just heard that we re-signed John Denney.
    Thank God.
    This helps me have a little more faith in Grier.

Until Denney can’t do it anymore and someone beats him out keep bringing him back. He’s excellent at his job. Grier has been around him his entire career and Flores has been coaching against him all of his career.

I HAVE ACCEPTED the fact that next season’s starting QB will likely be playing behind a below average offensive line. An O-Line that COULD go from below average to TERRIBLE if we lose a couple of starters due to injury early in the season. Given that reality, I believe next season’s starter will have to have terrific mobility. A quarterback with just average mobility will have little chance of surviving the sacks and hits that are sure to come over a 16 game season behind a so-so line. In that scenario, a QB with Kyler Murray’s mobility would be a huge plus for Miami. And, in fact, if the Fins go QB in round 1, I believe it will be Murray.
    —————
    ROUNDS 2 and 3 likely will focus on the D-Line/Edge and the O-Line, altho’ not necessarily in that order. A local Tampa Bay Bucs fan, looking at Miami’s running backs, said, “If Devin Singletary is still on the board in round 4, the Dolphins would be crazy not to take him.” In fact, this guy kinda agrees with MF-13 and told me he thinks Singletary will go in round 3, MAYBE TO TAMPA BAY!!–In that scenario, I’d expect Miami to take the best available player, period, because our Fins need help at almost every position. But I sure as hell would not mind another O-Lineman or D-Lineman in round 4.

Having to possibly replace a lot of players is another reason rebuilding teams like to stockpile a lot of draft picks.

Mr. Campbell,

I should have posted it here when I viewed it the other day, but an NFL.com writer mocked your cat Devin Singletary to us in the 3rd round a couple of days ago. The assumption was that Frank Gore won’t be back this year, and we could use a RB early to replace him.

I wouldn’t address RB within the first 3 rounds of the Draft this year (especially with Ballage looking good when given the opportunity last year), but I certainly took notice of that mock Draft with you in mind! I seriously doubt Singletary makes it past round 3, as I stated to ya last week, my friend!

And yes… I’m looking forward to viewing “The Green Book”, under your advice, sooner than later. Thanks!

Randy,

I posted that video of TJ Hockenson for ya last night because I think you need to be aware of him… LOL 😉

Yessir, I see ya, man! I KNOW I can trust your opinion of an Iowa player… and you are right-on with him, IMO. TEs aren’t even on my radar this year, but I’ve seen ya talking him up. I saw the video for the first time last night and I was like, “OH! That’s the kid that Randy’s been talking about”. Good call, Bro!

I have to say Flores was able to bring in a lot of experienced coaches to his staff. Yes both OC O’Shea and DC Graham have never held those positions, but it’s not like they just started coaching 2-3 years ago. Every coach that ever was… started off somewhere. Most of the coaches he brought in have 10 or more years experience. Lots of NFL experience.

Jim Caldwell was a great hire. Coaching QBs has always been his specialty, he’s been an NFL HC, and he’s an elder for Flores to lean on about the highs and lows of being a HC.

February 8, 2019 at 4:28 pm
    You see, nobody wants to go young and truly do a rebuild. LOL

53. 20-somethings with no vet leadership is a recipe for disaster on a franchise crushing scale. Way beyond #1 pick territory. It is a recipe for continued failure IMO due to the collective-bargaining agreement and how the coaches are limited in interaction throughout the year with the players veteran in leader ship is critical

It’s the other veterans to teach the young guys how to be true pros and perennial winners

February 8, 2019 at 4:28 pm
    You see, nobody wants to go young and truly do a rebuild. LOL

Debbie downer with another article!

I saw that. He’s been a ST’s coach for over a decade. He keep getting hired because teams think he’s poo poo. LOL

—————
    NO, not every team has the same amount of coaches… and I understood the question as the total number of coaches on a coaching staff. During the Steve Ross era, we’ve been known to have assistants to assistants (a total bureaucracy)… not to mention the FO mess Ross has created over the years.

Omar is absolutely incorrect on this (per the usual).

You’re over thinking it. There is nothing uncommon about the coaching staff. The Pats have a bunch of detailed oriented coaches and assistants. Lots of teams do.

The question from Ty Gregory was too many chefs in the kitchen. What’s the kitchen?

Grier is the top dog as a true GM, Flores is the HC. Ross is staying out of it. His view is results from my top two guys is who I will evaluate.

The question was novice. Sorry it was. What… Jim Caldwell is going to subvert Flores for the HC job, the young coach who hired him? It was a drama question and Omar shot it down with reality. I think y’all read it wrong.

Ross has nothing to do with the amount of coaches we have. What are you talking about, M13?

Oy! I suppose what we read from what Ty Gregory posted differs from one another. It’s all good. But the fact? No… not every team has the same amount of coaches on their staff. There’s no minimum nor maximum requisite.

Ross has more or less dictated/advocated the ideology of MORE CHIEFS than Indians makes for BETTER. I’m sorry… I don’t advocate the ideology of bureaucracies. Lived through it, and saw the disaster it always becomes. And we’ve all seen it in action as it pertains to our government, other government, and throughout history.

And why are so many against Armando’s recent reports/opinions? He’s speaking the truth in nearly all cases, and I’m not even trying to suck up to him.

Only thing I’m disagreeing with him on? We could very well have a winning season this year, even in a so-called “rebuilding year”. As I noted several weeks ago, we made the playoffs in Sparano’s first year… as we did once again in Gase’s first year. We’ve GOT talent on our team, it’s just that it’s been severely mismanaged/coached.

In other words, it’s going to be pretty hard to “tank” this season with so much talent on our team. I mean, we could likely accident ourselves into more wins this year than last year under Gase.

Armando is best using his resources to give us fans team intel. Armando opinions become speculative and obnoxious. He dabbles in drama. He does like to piss in your cornflakes. LOL

Okay M13, fair enough. Start the rebuild with a “I Hate Ross” approach. LOL

Hey Brian Flores, see what you got yourself into? LOL

Hey! Don’t take me the wrong way… I’m really hoping that Ross got it right this time. What’s more, it’s been reported that Ross destroyed his ‘who reports to who’ wacky board, LOL (what a $#!t show that was, to begin with!).

The hope is that Ross has learned from his mistakes, I’m seeing tangible growth from him (if what’s being reported is true), and I DO like the Brian Flores hire.

I think Ross may FINALLY have gotten it right! At least I hope so!

Bro, I’m just JK/BB, but not totally. LOL
        I hear ya! Give Ross credit though. He’s admitted his mistakes. He’s tried different things. But never a GM/HC hire as a tandem. It was always three. Let’s hope we have it now. 🙂

166. ElephantRider says:

If our season rides on ST coach….well….we’re screwed. We supposedly had one of the best and we sucked!
    I’m on the fuck Mando bus right now. Even the braided coconut is making more sense…..

Can this new staff even get a chance before writing them off?

Let’s see… we’re tanking… no they’re not… these coaches are overmatched… no they’re not, maybe they are… nobody knows yet. Geez… we have to wait another year or two? Everyone wants to blow it up but not really! LOL

Good Luck!

M – I don’t comprehend your bureaucracy comment. Did he not basically give Adam Gase complete control here? I don’t see it the way you’re looking at it. I don’t think we have an unusual amount of coaches, and I applaud bringing in a guy like Caldwell to help the young HC out. Not sure where the assumptions come that there are too many chiefs.

All signs point to Brissett as a real option.

Simple answer is Tannehill is sooo bad that it would be hard to be worse.
    However Brissett has worked with our coaching staff so he’d pick the offense up quickly, he has a real good arm, exhibits leadership skills. I just want Tannehill gone, I would have already fired him.

OK, so let’s say we sign Brisket and we go 8-8 for 2 years with him. Does that make you happy? It makes me nauseous. I’d rather see Razor Rudock or Luke Falk or even better, a QB we draft starting and let him grow. I really don’t want to bring a vet, but that’s just how I feel.

170. naplesfan2010 says:

Glad we kept these guys:
    Oden and Studesville both are back for a second season.

In Oden’s first season with the Dolphins, he helped cornerback Xavien Howard tie for the NFL lead with seven interceptions and earn his first career Pro Bowl selection. Oden has 15 years of NFL coaching experience, all with defensive backs. In four of his past six seasons, Oden’s teams have ranked in the NFL’s top five in interceptions (2013-14, 2017, 2018). He’s played an instrumental part in six players earning eight Pro Bowl selections.

Studesville helped helped the Dolphins improve from 24th to ninth in the NFL with 4.68 yards per carry in 2018, his first season with the team. Studesville has 22 years of NFL coaching experience, including 18 at the running backs position. He has been on the coaching staffs of two conference championship teams (2013 and 2015) and won Super Bowl 50 with the Denver Broncos.

— from dolphins site

171. naplesfan2010 says:

Rock says:
    >>>>
    I totally agree with this.
    I can literally point to games the past year where our young guys cost us the victory.
    And before I blame it all on Gase, and he should take the blame for the Gesicki crimes, this happens on all teams.
    “It’s a rookie mistake.” is something we have all heard TV announcers say, because it happens.

And wily vets like Brady and Brees and A. Rodgers are well known for taking advantage of the young guy who just got his first start or who just came in when the vet got hurt.

Last year i remember seeing many wide open WRs and our very young CBs lost in a scheme slip.

I remember Raekwon and Baker both filling wrong holes or misdiagnosing their coverage responsibilities which gave up first downs. And Jesse Davis got embarrassed by several vets, and even the great Minkah got confused on several critical plays that hurt our team.

Gore and Wake and Reshad and Amendola have value far beyond their stats, and their stats were pretty good.

You guys talked about many of these guys, but didn’t see a fuller list of hires. Flores has worked with most of these guys, which makes sense.
    ——————————————————
    Brian Flores’ coaching staff came into focus when the Dolphins announced 16 of his assistants for the 2019 season….

The group includes three holdovers from the previous Dolphins coaching staff, along with the addition of former Colts and Lions head coach Jim Caldwell and the return of wide receivers coach Karl Dorrell.

Former New England Patriots wide receivers coach Chad O’Shea will be the offensive coordinator; former Green Bay Packers linebackers coach Patrick Graham will be the defensive coordinator; and former Buffalo Bills special teams coordinator Danny Crossman will come in the same capacity.

Also joining the staff: Pat Flaherty as offensive line coach; George Godsey as tight ends coach; Marion Hobby as defensive line coach; Rob Leonard as linebackers coach; Josh Boyer as defensive pass game/cornerbacks coach; Jerry Schuplinski as assistant quarterbacks coach; Matt Lombardi as defensive quality control coach; and Tiquan Underwood as offensive quality control coach.

The three coaches returning from last year are Eric Studesville (running backs), Tony Oden (safeties) and Josh Grizzard (quality control)….

Full https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/brian-flores-staff-comes-into-focus-miami-dolphins

173. BailBondMike says:

Anyone going to watch the “Last Chance U.” games tonight? The AAF kicks off tonight. I will probably watch the Atlanta game. Want to watch QB Aaron Murray. I always thought he would develop into something.

• BailBondMike says:

I wonder, can any of these players be plucked at any time to be placed on an NFL roster?I know Josh Johnson was on one team but left and was signed by the Redskins…

• BailBondMike says:

I read where 70% of the players had been on an NFL team at one point.

My friend wants us to go to the game tonight, down the street at UCF, not sure if I’m going to go yet. They want real money for tickets like 50-100 bucks. 20-25 I’ll probably go.

The
    Olando Apollos are going to kick butt today!
    i think Garret Gilbert will have a good day!

Gotta wonder if JJ Watt threw brother TJ under the bus with this quote on the Steelers.

““It does seem very dramatic. It’s like somebody that’s watching the Kardashians, and I can call one of the Kardashians. I’ll call my brother, I see everything on TV, and I’ll be like, ‘OK, give me the real story.’ And it’s pretty wild. It’s pretty wild.”

Rock, you act like all our players will be infants. LOL

Amendola and his new teammate

The new coaching staff updated on the official site. Except they don’t have active links to their bios. They usually do. Maybe not done yet.

February 9, 2019 at 8:11 am
    ——————-
    I’m talking about the past, not the present. And I’m talking about the FO and the way it was such a mess in who reports to who (remember the ‘diagram of authority’?) in it’s structure. It’s amazing that anything ever got done.

I think it’s fair to say that Ross has been learning on the job since the day he got here, but he’s finally learning how to make things work from a management perspective. I really don’t care how many coaches we have on staff… I was referring to management (FO), not the coaching, bud. Sorry if I wasn’t clear in differing between the two.

Ross would be the first to admit that. He has. This time he hired his “Supreme” GM albeit from within in Grier, and Grier picked the HC. Ross has basically said to Grier, this is your baby.

Yup, and I respect Ross’ decision making this time around to make things work.

It took him awhile to get there, but it seems right in theory at least. Results will decide if it was the right people. I believe people within the org were whispering in Ross’ ear that Grier is the guy who should be running the team. The results of the team not being where it should be, and more and more people whispering in his ear, and he said I’m making a change. Remember Tannenbaum was let go before Gase was. Grier was already the head honcho.

Let’s hope it’s a new start to something cool like winning. LOL

I also think Marino was one of them whispering in Ross’ ear. He’ll probably never say it though.

Wouldn’t surprise me, Tim.

M – OK, gotcha. No matter how they set this up, winning is all that matters. Winning consistently. Always being competitive. There’s never really a right way or wrong way, it’s just about finding the right people. I hope to heck we have.

Mike E,

This came out 2 days ago…

I’ve seen him doing this since his days as DC with the Giants. He’s always thinking ahead.

183. BailBondMike says:

M13, What do you think of 5’11” 240 lb WR/RB Tyre McCants from USF I posted yesterday. I think he could be developed yet into another weapon in our arsenal. Someone you could line up anywhere (WR/RB/FB/HB/TE and, of course, ST). Dude has great passion and likens himself to Jerome Bettis once he has the ball in his hands.

BBMike,

I’ll have to check in on Tyre McCants, my friend. TBH, I’ve not been keeping up on college prospects this year as much as I used to, partially due to the fact that we’re just now knowing who are coaching staff is rounding out to be.

I’ll get on it soon enough. PROPS to you and the others who are educating me right now on prospects! #Respect

Not trying to get into politics, but when the National Enquirer says “do what we want or we show the below-the-waist selfies you sent your girl.” Either that guy has nothing to worry about down there or someone really screwed up back at the home office cause the richest guy in the US is so pissed off willing to let them out

I don’t want to post the video here so I will just give search words.

Go to YouTube and type ‘Sam Harris: Trump, Consciousness, Jordan Peterson Debate, and more’. Watch or listen at your leisure because it’s a bit over 2 hours. But it’s a good forum that discusses today’s political climate without pissing on each other.

WTF?!! LOL!!!

Just post the video, man! 😆

Nah, it’s too long to create comments. You don’t really have to watch it but you can to get a vibe for body language etc. You can listen like a radio program too, have it on when you’re doing whatever. It’s enlightening and a newish trend for everyone to communicate in the digital and social media world. I think you’d enjoy it.

mf13ss says:
    February 8, 2019 at 10:04 pm
    ——————————————————–
    Telling the truth and being a dick does not have to be inclusive!
    I personally don’t like the arrogance in the way he writes!

He’s starting to act like Omar!

And will be treated as such!

All good! I don’t see it the same way as you do, but I understand why some would be upset with Armando. Truly, I do!

That’s what irks me about Armando, Omar and Hyde, and sometimes Perkins, they get smug, make fun of people, giggle and act above what they’re discussing. Beasley and Jackson are much more even keel. I try to get as much intel about the team from all of them, but I don’t read too many of their op-ed articles. I don’t need them to teach me about football or who the team is. I get more of that here which is more engaging. We all follow the team and invest our time with them. I’m not taking a class from them. I want the news.

It’s very possible he loses that magic and is just ordinary from here on out.

Watch Tannehill go to another team, have success as Dolfans all throw up their arms lead by Son saying really Ryan FF!!!!? LOL

Not to mention… our man Son is the ONE who coined “Foles Gold”. Somebody is reading us!

Well the article says “Fools Gold” which Son did not coin. LOL

The ironic thing is Son is a fan of Cousins and he has started off as “fools gold” in Minnesota.

That’s why I want see us build a solid team overall because you can still win without an all-time great QB. You need a solid QB who makes the plays that are there, doesn’t make too many mistakes, and once in awhile you need some big plays. I don’t ever want to build my team needing the QB to carry us.

Brady has done that at times with the Pats, but they have won in a lot of different ways. Belichick and Brady get most of the credit. But think about how they win. They win most games as a team. A lot of that is Belichick but as he says, players make plays and win games. His genius is he looks for players who can do that. They don’t have to be top 10 talents in the draft.

Son is a RT hater and a Brisset booster.

The new football league (AAF) is about to start on CBS. Looks like Logan Woodside is starting for one of the teams.

So… we’ve now got the AAF (which we’re about to see tonight), the re-emergence of the XFL, and the Ricky Williams/TO league soon to come.

Logan Woodside has a 7-step drop akin to Drew Brees. Just sayin’!

Not any specific target or order in FA or the draft, depends on the market. But this is what I’d like to see us add to the team this 2019 offseason. Players we can build on.

Defense:
    DL – an interior guy who is versatile
    Edge – hand in ground or standing
    LB – versatile to improve the corps

Offense:
    RT – starter material
    C/G – versatile interior w/starter potential
    QB – has the tools to develop
    WR – possession chains mover

This is the season for the new staff to really see what they have at CB, TE and RB so that’s why I didn’t focus on them. As of right now we’re very deep at Safety so no focus there.

No aging vets in this group. Sorry, Rock. All newly acquired vets are under 30. Some of these are rookies too. 🙂

I like, but just so ya know, ‘EDGE’ refers to pass-rushers (DE & OLB, regardless of system).

I absolutely agree with ya that we need a DE to be a formidable force to kill the run. Hopefully, William Hayes comes back HEALTHY and on the cheap.

Who knows, Tim… perhaps the Super Bowl commercials featuring mermaids was just what William Hayes needed! 🙂

I forgot when I said “Edge – hand in ground or standing.” LOL

I’m not re-signing William Hayes off of ACL surgery at 34 years old. Why… so in 2021 he’s not on the team? Come on, man?!!! Why invest in him?

February 9, 2019 at 1:32 pm
    Rock, you act like all our players will be infants. LOL

Nah they’re just 20-something millionaires set loose on. South beach

Bully gate, molly, night club brawls

My Orlando Apollo’s are up 8-3