Ja’Wuan James – Re-sign or replace?

The Dolphins have a decision looming, do they re-sign their own former 2014 1st RD pick (#19), or do they try and replace him. It’s not as easy as a decision as some might think. While James is not an elite RT, especially in the sense of the “old” prototype of a right tackle, who was usually not a very good pass blocker, but usually a road grader on the right end of the line. In fact, James is the polar opposite of that, he’s a very good pass blocker, but his run blocking skills after 5 seasons are still somewhat lacking.

The Miami Dolphins offensive line has been in flux for too long. Last season we signed former pro bowl OG Josh Sitton after the Bears declined to re-sign him, and Sitton didn’t make it past game 1 before being placed on season ending IR. Center Dan Kilgore, who the Dolphins traded a 7th RD pick for with the Niners didn’t make it that much further as he was placed IR after game 4. The Dolphins had already decided to give journeyman Jesse Davis a shot at the RG spot, and Davis started and finished all 16 games, but his play was just marginal, average or less than average.

At LG, good ole Ted Larsen started 13 games but played in 15 for the Dolphins as the Dolphins really had little depth left with both Sitton and Kilgore both out for the season before the first quarter of the season was finished. It’s really come down to a numbers game, and the numbers are not in our favor. We basically have 1 starter at the moment, Laremy Tunsil, if we decide to move on from James. I know this season is going to be a bumpy one, but if we have to try and bring in 4 new starters on the OL, that’s quite an undertaking. It’s possible we keep Kilgore and Larsen, their salaries are palatable (even if their play isn’t always). Between the 2 players they will come out to about $5M in salary. Even if both are kept for depth only, I think that’s doable.

The other part of the equation is that James has played the entire season and then the following year, injuries limited him to playing half the season or less twice. In ’14 James started all 16 games. In ’15 he played and started only 7. In ’16 James started all 16 games, in ’17 James was limited to starting only 8. Last season James started and played in 15 games. You know what’s coming in ’19, right? I actually don’t believe in those kind of things. I think James will be fine this season. Where he will play is another story.

If I were the GM, I’d keep the steady pass blocking RT because he’s young He’ll be 27 when the season starts, and because he is a good pass blocker, a very good one. His consistency could be a little better, but considering the fact that he had a journeyman next to him all last season, and Davis definitely had his struggles, I think James is a keeper. He will probably get somewhere between $8-12M per year, but I think it’s worth it. He’s going to get that for sure from another team, and I loathe to let our own 1st RD pick leave. I’d re-sign him. Your thoughts?

1,310 Responses to Ja’Wuan James – Re-sign or replace?

I like all of those guys for us and it has nothing to do with their 40 times lol.

Ill have to check out Opeta more, i know he is bullish strong after the Combine but i really dont know a ton about him and how good he plays.

Ha! Tony Pauline is a Led Zeppelin fan so he’s cool with me.

4. naplesfan2010 says:

Wouldn’t Tannehill be a good fit in Philly? That might happen for several reasons.

5. naplesfan2010 says:

I already had Lindstrom and Bradbury on my mock shortlist in the 2nd round.

I disagree with you on the comp picks. It’s really about not spending too much in FA. If you don’t spend a lot in FA, you’re on your way to getting comp picks, especially if some of the payers you let go get signed for good contracts.

My point was I wouldn’t refrain from signing a player I like at the loss of comp picks the following year. You can’t have a team all made up of guys making $2-3M per. Those are average or role players, not really good players. Just because we’re rebuilding doesn’t mean we’re not interested in some high-priced FAs if they’re the right fit and at the right price. Like D said, Trey Flowers is the perfect fit for us.

No, I agree, but we always sign a lot of free agents, and we’re either cutting players or trading them, not just letting them walk. As long as you’re making good trades it’s all good. If we’re rebuilding, we probably shouldn’t be spending a lot one player, because the idea of a rebuild is that you’re many players away. While Flowers may be a good fit, if we’re spending a huge amount on him, is it really the right fit?

Patriots 2019 draft dicks — and only two of the four comp picks are in the 3rd round.
    ———————————
    Round 1: Own (32 overall)
    Round 2: From Chicago (56)
    Round 2: Own (64)
    Round 3: From Detroit (73)
    Round 3: Nate Solder comp. (97)
    Round 3: Malcolm Butler comp. (101)
    Round 4: Own (134)
    Round 6: Danny Amendola comp. (205)
    Round 7: From Philadelphia (237)
    Round 7: From Cleveland via KC (243)
    Round 7: Own (246)
    Round 7: Cameron Fleming comp. (252)

9. ElephantRider says:

Am I the only one happy Murray is “skyrocketing” up the draft?

• naplesfan2010 says:

if you mean that means we have less chance of getting him, then yes. cuz I really don’t want him here.

——————
    You can BET that the Cowgirls will be drafting D-Line early, now!

Mike, Flowers will have played 4 seasons for us before he’s even 30. To me the plan is to build the core of the team through the draft, add some key young FAs that are long term and not stopgaps who are in the twilight of their careers. Another thing is we’re not going to have to pay a QB big money anytime soon because we don’t have him yet and if we do find “our guy” he won’t see the big payday for a few years. And if he does get the big contract it’s because he’s performed to the level that we believe he is our franchise QB.

He’s the right age, and I get that he played for the Patriots, but if he’s going to be a huge contract, we have no business doing that. Build through the draft, and fill spots in FA, no huge contracts. I’m all in on that strategy.

We may not go hot and heavy for Flowers or anyone else like that. But it wouldn’t surprise me if we did for the right guy. Age, scheme fit and at a core position.

mf13ss says:
    March 1, 2019 at 4:47 pm
    Does that mean that the Cowboys won’t use their 2nd round pick on the D-Line? What are you saying?
    ————–
    Sorry, Tim, I was thinking that you were playing the contrarian card.

Tim – Brandon Graham signed a 3YR/$40M contract with Philly, what do you think Flowers is going to get? 4YR/$50-60M?

THAT’S what I’m talking about! And in a rebuilding year? I thought the idea was to SHED $$$, not to add MASSIVE contracts in the way Tannenbaum had done.

See my 4:37 post. Trey Flowers would be part of the rebuild. What are we shedding cap for, to save it and not use it?

Flowers isn’t the same type guy. It’s a different scale. I think flowers gets a 4-40 kind of deal, maybe 4-32

Don’t know. I’m not going to get into what we should or shouldn’t pay. That’s for the FO to decide. I’m more focused on Flowers the player.

17. naplesfan2010 says:

Flowers might not be so good away from the bellichek defense … oh …. wait …. need to adjust thinking here … we might now have coaches who can actually get the most out of players and put them into a hybrid scheme where they always have a little edge on whoever they have to hit.

Wouldn’t that be nice?

I dont expect we would buy big in FA, i just dont think his situation is going to be a buy big one. Cutting Branch would be pretty close to what we need to sign him by itself but cutting Quinn and Branch makes him, a better fit and a player to build around, very affordable.

19. naplesfan2010 says:

not to be contrarian, but why do we want to shed $$$$$ again?
    Me I want to spend every dime getting the absolute best players we can cram in under the cap.
    Money means nothing to me if they can help us win.

• naplesfan2010 says:

which is not the same thing as shedding shitty players, which we should do.
      But I don’t want to hunt for players in the bargain bin at the dollar store either.

This is out DL situation, we have Godchaux who is a decent hybrid 4-3 DT 3 tech and a 3-4 DE 5-tech. We have Taylor who probably would be better in the 4-3 at DT and at NT in the 3-4. We have Harris who is a 4-3 DE 3-4 OLB. We have Woodard a 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT. We have a nice mix of guys, but if we add a 3-4 OLD 4-3 DE through draft and Add Flowers and Shelton in FA at a reasonable price (Shelton should certainly qualify) then we have 2 solid DT/NT’s 2 solid DE/DT’s 2 solid DE/DTs and some depth there, so we just nee to add a couple more hybrid guy for depth and we should have a lot of different combinations of players who can stay on the field no matter how we shift stuff around.

Dillard s killing it. He had a stong senior bowl and now this combine is good. He is going to rise up in the draft.

I’m with MikeE. Put Minkah at FS and leave him there. Go draft a CB. Sorry D, but Jones is not elite at deep coverage, so I’d rather he not be asked to play deep safety. Put Minkah there and let him shine. Hell, if you want to, trade Jones and use that pick to get a CB and play McDonald as your box safety. He’s not as good as Jones, but he’s competent.

If Trey Flowers was 30 years old I wouldn’t even being talking about this. To me rebuilding is more about adding young players who are part of the future plans, not that you don’t spend any money and just bargain shop. What it doesn’t mean to me is going crazy like signing Flowers, the top guard on the market, trading for Antonio Brown and also pursuing Nick Foles. There’s a difference.

• naplesfan2010 says:

Flowers would be a good get
      as long as he isn’t going to pout cuz he misses Boston.
      like Timmons did for Peeeeezeberg when he came here.

25. naplesfan2010 says:

Wouldn’t it be fun to get Darrell Henderson in here at RB? 4.49 40 5’8 208 22 reps
    an 8.9 yd average 109 rushing yds and 22 TDs. also averaged 15.5 catching passes.
    Ii know we don’t need him.
    I’d actually like to see Brandon Bolden get more reps at RB.

You cut players to make cap to sign players in FA that better fit your team. You trade players ot let them walk in FA to try to replenish via draft. There arent enough picks in our draft this year to fill the holes we are creating by mking the cuts, that everyone seems behind making. You cant do these cuts and not add players in FA.

I think some of the rules should be, and probably are with a Belichick clone, to not buy too big, and like Tim said whats too big is something they know and we dont. Secondly i think if you buy pretty big, you go for a core player and someone who is young and can help you establish the system you wanna run.Lastly, no old vets unless they are a “your type of guy” player, someone who can help instill work eithic you expect and be a positive influence in the facility. These vets need to come at really affordable contracts without long term commitments because they are just there to buy time to get the rookies coached up, and help with that.

• naplesfan2010 says:

in that case we shouyld keep Wake

^
      We’re on the same page with this. How do you rebuild a team with only cheap marginal players? So you do that and wait a few years and then go bonkers in 2021 FA? I say no, you add pieces each year so you get your system in place and then add the finishing touches in the year you’re ready to contend. It’s not about being cheap to me, it’s about the right players at the right time.

27. naplesfan2010 says:

no on AB … no divas in rebuild mode
    no on Foles … a crash and burn waiting to happen
    if we can get a mid 20s OG with a high ceiling, then yes no matter the cost.
    guards are cheap right?

no on Gronk btw, no on LeVeon, no on DeSean, LeSean, or Emanuel.

But I’d be very tempted to re sign Gore.

Right, don’t target big market guys who won’t be part of the future in 2021 when we’re ready to contend. That’s what it’s all about.

It’s pretty crazy that we’re only 13 days away from us knowing exactly what our plans are with players on our team and who we’d like to bring in.

Let me ask ya’ll this? Who would you rather sign to a big contract, Ja’Wuan James or Trey Flowers? I go with Flowers, extend Howard, get ready to lock up Tunsil and draft my new RT, and there are some good options in this draft. Spread your positional cap around.

• naplesfan2010 says:

I think we can afford both Flowers and James, but your scenario is understood and works well.

If we signed Flowers, I think we’d have a shot at Jawaan Taylor or Jonah Williams to play RT and now we made major investments in the trenches. If not maybe we can find a solid RT in the 2nd rd. Maybe we do DT at #13 and RT 2nd. Of course QB has a lot to do with it.

I would rather keep James

Generally I want to keep guys
      Especially OL

Fair enough. Lots of different ways to go about it.

Who knows, Flowers may really like being in NE with all that winning and the Pats re-sign him. He might not even be an option. But as long as he is an option, me personally I’d be interested.

31. Anti-Hater says:

March 1, 2019 at 2:37 pm
    Rock, you’ll be glad to hear that Dan Godsil, a long snapper from Indiana, has the 14th best vertical jump so far

Sigh it doesn’t matter they already re-signed Denney And doomed this regime for its entire tenure

SS headline
    #Dolphins may be on outside looking in on potential No. 1 pick Kyler Murray

Really… we have no shot at the #1 pick? LOL

If we are looking for a late round RB? This is a good one!

I have a feeling we might like QB Daniel Jones. Same size as Brady with more mobility. Not an amazingly gifted QB but has the intangibles the new regime is looking for – smarts and leadership.

We’ll see where he ranks after the QBs work next at the combine and then pro days.

• naplesfan2010 says:

very real possibility … prototype nouveau-Brady

He’s been linked to the Giants due to some connection with the Manning’s. I never delved into it but have heard it multiple times. His projection at this time is a tall QB with an NFL arm though not special. Smart with leadership qualities. Can escape pressure and pick up a 1st down with his legs. Can run some RPO.

He’s linked to the Manning’s because of David Cutliff who coached all of them. He is supposed to be the most refined of all the QBs. I have been saying he is the best prospect of this group and though I like Lock better because I think his ceiling is higher it’s like splitting hairs when deciding between the two for me

D, yes I remember you saying that.

I like him too.

He is an intriguing prospect. If we miss on a top guy I’d be ok with him in the third, tamu too and Grier of course. Stidham intrigues me too he isn’t as developed as some of the others but he could wind up being very good.

Omar, always groundbreaking. LOL

Oh but you’ve been telling us about Murray for months. LOL

37. ElephantRider says:

Naples

It’s exactly what I meant.

• naplesfan2010 says:

cool
      I think with draft prospects who’ve not shown what they can do in the league, i try to look at their floor as well as their ceiling. Kyler has a high ceiling, but a low floor.

And with some positions or some rounds it might not matter so much.

A 7th rounder who never makes it off the practice squad is not that great of a loss.
      But a 1st rounder who never becomes a star is.

At QB in the 1st round I want a guy who at least has a floor where he’ll be a back-up or a journeyman spot starter. Which is why I would never burn a first on Johnny Manziel.
      or Mark Sanchez or Matt Leinert.

And why we shouldn’t have burned a second on Pat White.

Harris is pissin me off right now for the same reason. I hated that pick. Because we counted on him to hold down a first string job, and he can’t so we were forced to shop the FA at a high price position and then you get the Quinn / Branch risk of fading vets.

• ocalarob says:

From where you are sitting right now all of this is easy to say, Harris was highly sought after Dallas wanted him badly, Manziel, Sanchez and Lienart. they were all 1st round busts but who knew that prior? obviously the teams didn’t and they do intensive vetting on potential draft picks especially #1 picks, and what about Tom Brady? was he a 6th round pick? look at Antonio Brown, a 6th rnd pick.

The NFL Draft is a crap shoot and there are a lot of 1st rnders that don’t pan out.

In the ’17 NFL draft, I really liked the two Temple guys, Haason Reddick and Takk McKinley. Both have had better starts to their careers than Harris, which is pretty easy to do. Both seem to have taken a nice jump in their 2nd year, where Harris still isn’t close to making an impact yet. Hopefully this is his year, and if it isn’t, he may be gone the following year.

• Takk was from UCLA and he had a mental breakdown recently. But, I do agree that Harris shouldn’t have been the pick. He didn’t show all that much at Mizzou to be a 1st rd pick. It’s funny how the team always seemed to do better with their picks in the 2nd than in the 1st.

Shoot, that’s right, it was OL Dion Dawkins that I also wanted, I got mixed up. I did like Takk also, but yes, he was from UCLA

You know what was kool, i think it was back in 2013 when Piggy did his draft, and everybody had a team and participated, we should do that again prior to the draft.

It was 2014, because I’ll never forget that Tim took OG Jonathan Cooper, and everyone was so mad at him. lol

40. In 2017 we doubled up on DT’s in the draft. Last year it was TE’s. Let’s make this year the year we double up on QB’s.

41. Wow. JAX is in cap hell, in the negative, and Bortles is the biggest hit to the cap. Problem is they only save $2M if they cut him. Sucks to be them. Their d line has two of the highest priced guys also but they have no choice but to go after a qb in the draft. They don’t have the money to sign Foles unless they cut players. And then they are starting from scratch.

Mike E

Reddick was off the bird when we picked
    But McKinley wasn’t and he would have been a nice pick there

I think M13 was big on him

I want upset about Harris but I did have McKinley higher

On the other hand – a lot of us wanted Reuben Foster….oops

43. Well, that’s $7M in cap just freed up

44. naplesfan2010 says:

I’m thinking we go DL / OL early and pick a Ta’amu type midrounder at QB just to get some competition for Falk and Rudock in case they actually do suck as advertised. We should pick up a McCown / Fitz type vet QB just in case the draft pick is also not ready for prime time.

But I’m all for taking trench men. If we let James go, which I’d rather not do then we could one of those 3 rnd 1 OT like the UF Jawann.

If we sign Shelton, then we only need an edge rusher and our QB round can move up.

etc.

In round 6&7 I like to take ST guys , nominal S and LB for kick teams.

45. Reports right now are we are trying to trade Tannehill at this time

Pizza Day was a holiday once

47. naplesfan2010 says:

ORob
    from where I am sitting, anything is easy to say.

But I really did speak out against every one of those guys pre-draft.

I am always wary of USC / UCLA boys and also dead set against Mizzou players.
    They are all soft and / or divas.

48. Branch is being released. $7M cap savings. Puts us at $13.4M

49. naplesfan2010 says:

I think we can trade Tannehill to Philly. He’d be a perfect back-up emergency spot starter for them, just as Foles was.
    also Houston needs a better backup than Weeden.

Lou

Tua and Herbert alone are better than the top 2 in this bunch
    But when you add Fromm, Eason and Costello

I think it’s 5 better than this bunch
    I like Haskins
    But I wouldn’t rank Lock, Jones or Murray higher than those 5 guys

They even have a little overachiever in McKenzie Milton in 2020 if you can’t get one of the top 5

It’s a much better draft at QB IMO, assuming all those guys declare

• Fromm really needs to have a good year and so does Herbert for that matter. Fromm has some nice numbers but he doesn’t look that good on the field.

As far as Eason goes it’s kind of hard to project what the guy will be with nothing more to show than his frosh year at UGA. I don’t know how you can put him in that category

Well we have a whole year to watch him
        But he was a 5 star recruit before losing his job to Fromm and transferring

• well, we’ll see but you can’t project a guy who’s only yr was his freshman year and hasn’t played much since to be a top qb prospect next yr. and Fromm really needs to show something as well.

just think, Stidham looked like he was going to be a top prospect in 2017 and took a step back in ’18. never know what will happen. And Herbert really needs to develop this year.

51. naplesfan2010 says:

Maybe even the jets would like Tannehill to back up / mentor Darnold or Buffalo same for Allen.

Tannehill offers the “not a guaranteed loss” type of vet back-up, whereas a lot of teams are up the creek if their starter goes down. There are about 8-9 teams like that, where their back-up can’t win a game in the league.

Piggy – Yeah, I know Reddick went earlier, I was just mentioning the 2 DE/LB guys I liked in that draft. I really liked Dion Dawkins too, he would have been a nice pick for us.

53. My ultimate trade would be Tannehill for Beathard. San Fran has the cap space to eat his contract and they could use someone behind Jimmy G. Only thing is Tannehill would find their system difficult.

54. More than one source reporting today we’ve been shopping Tannehill at the Combine. If we get no bites I’d expect to see him cut soon. Maybe this week or next.

55. BailBondMike says:

Lou, I think Fromm will be the top QB next year if he has another really good year. Since he took over their offense as a freshman, the coaches have raved about his ability to quickly read defenses. He has a quick release and takes care of the football. Some of his passes look a little off but, if you watch again, he is throwing where the ball needs to be placed. The SEC championship last year (where the UGA defense lost the game) was a very good tape of him going against a very good defense. He had very good numbers that game but there were a bunch of drops of very catchable balls. If it weren’t for those drops, his #’s for that game would possibly been record setting against an Alabama team.

Forget that first play, he held on to long. LOL

Andre Branch gone means Harris, Quinn and Wake. And we aren’t even sure if those last two will be on the roster. Looks like DL might beat out OL for bigger need.

Doesn’t mean Wake at all, he’s a FA. I wouldn’t sign Wake, and I hope he goes to a championship caliber team and wins a SB

Quinn is still here, but I expect him to be gone pretty soon too

Was just saying Wake cause he might want to just finish out here instead of move. He’s in that point of his career, for most DEs even past it.

I still think RT ends up in Washington. Skins have no guarantee that Smith comes back next year or ever. Doubt they roll with just McCoy.

I’d take a 5th for Tannehill

Key question on Tanny is if some team is gonna want him with an $18 mil salary next season. If your answer to that is no then he won’t be traded unless willing to take less (even if might mean more years and guarantees in exchange).

But if his market is less than that, he might as well ride it out and see if he gets cut and choose his own spot, which could include here for less given that our QB situation is wide open.

• this is going to be a weird year for QB’s. ARI may very well take Murray at #1 and Jacksonville has to do better than Bortles. the rumors were they were the top landing spot for Foles but with their cap situation being what it is it’s hard to imagine that happening.

Maybe by doing this.

Report: Jaguars shopping Malik Jackson, Carlos Hyde

• well, the can cut Hyde straight out because he’s got no guaranteed and no dead cap. It would be a ridiculous situation for them to want to sign an older vet to a big contract rather than draft a guy and lessen the hit. would be different story if it was a younger qb but I can’t see them going after Foles.

• so, JAX would either trade for Rosen and let Bortles go to free up the little cap they’d get from that or draft a qb and let Bortles go.

I could see WSH trading up to get a qb also but, then again, going with a vet in the meantime rather than putting a rookie out there could be the way they go.

I could also see ARI trading out of first instead of taking Murray #1 in order to get a few more picks because they need a lot of help also.

When I look at the number of scenarios out there it doesn’t look good for Tannehill any way; either in a trade or him being cut and picked up by someone. At best, he gets signed on a one year deal somewhere and that’s about it.

It’s just a weird year for quarterbacks IMO.

60. Just think about this. DEN is trading for Flacco who has a base of $18M this year and has Keenum under contract with a base of $18M this yr and a cap of $21M and if they cut Keenum they only save $3M

Lou, Mike Francesa said yesterday from what he’s heard Foles to JAX is very likely. He has some pretty good connections in the sports world including a friendship with Tom Coughlin. Not saying that’s who told him, just speculating.

• I hear what you are saying but it just doesn’t make sense. Coughlin is supposed to be a great guy in the front office. Why would he sign a quarterback this late in his career to a huge contract when he could draft a young guy and be done with it?

He probably has a great shot at Haskins or he may be able to trade for Rosen. Or, he may have a shot at Murray. Just doesn’t make sense. Especially with their cap situation. If they are trying to free up cap by trading guys like Jackson and Hyde then they should be looking to use that cap on guys who will be around awhile

My thinking is they feel they can get back to winning and contend with Foles.

Lou – You love Foles, and Foles is only 30, not like he’s 36 years old, he could play another 5-7 years at least, right?

62. BailBondMike says:

If you watch that tape on Fromm you will notice an Alabama CB #4, Saivion Smith. Everytime the ball was thrown his way it seemed he was right there in coverage. I think he could be a late round steal (5th/6th). I think he will slide that far due to his suspected fake injury in the third qtr of the National Championship game when they were getting blown out. He was carted off the field but came running back out in the 4th qtr but Saban never put him back in. I think Saban told him he was done in AL cause Smith declared for the draft a few days later. After drafting OL/DL early, I would like to see us take a CB in 5th or 6th.

The fact that the Tannehill trade rumors are out there I see no way they keep him around now.

• well, we’ve seen it before. try and trade and if it doesn’t happen then the outright cut comes

Right. My post was to the people here who still think maybe he sticks around another year. I don’t see that happening.

Such rumors and cut ones come out before they ask a guy to do a redo as well. Think most likely he is gone, but least see a way where he sticks. Not saying he will, but don’t really see us with a starter level QB on the roster right now.

The new regime has said nothing suggesting Tannehill is their guy and that’s the first sign he’s out. As for starter level on the roster, probably not but we’ll bring in someone to start. We’re not winning anything anyway this year.

All I am standing for is not 100% sure Tanny will not be on the roster. Well that and we need a QB….. which if Tanny was a FA would be a guy we were talking about. IF were turning over the reigns to a 2nd year QB would say no doubt Ryan is going elsewhere.

• well, when a team is shopping their qb it’s usually a sign they’re not sticking with him. so he either gets traded or cut.

64. naplesfan2010 says:

Lou
    What Piggy said above.
    I was looking to trade Tannehill to one of the teams with a QB still on rookie contract who would need a guy who would not blow their whole seasin if he needs to play a few games in the middle. (meaning Tannehill)

Those teams are the Rams, Eags, jests, jills, Texans, maybe Titans, TB, Browns, Ravens, Bears, Chiefs, … all of those teams are lacking adequate protection from an injury to their young guy, but they still have a few years of low QB1 salary to work with.

The Cards might want to flat out trade us Rosen for Tannehill and draft Murray, same reasoning plus Tannehill could open the season for them if Murray is a little sketchy and then yield to Murray after a few games.

Armando reported Grier said they weren’t too high on Rosen in last year’s draft.

• naplesfan2010 says:

k but there’s a different mindset at HC now. Gase wants more of a gunslinger, and I THINK Flores wants more of a Brady methodical guy, which I see Rosen as.

But no one knows what Flores wants yet, although it is getting excitingly close to a time when we find out.

• IDK Naples. I don’t think they even know what they want right now at the qb position because the offense hasn’t even been decided on yet. plus, Grier and Flores have said time and again they are on the same page.

• Yeah, but the problem with the whole argument is it doesn’t hold water because nobody wants him. Even when I think about what I said about BAL before it doesn’t make sense to me because Flacco could do the same thing for them as what you’re saying Tannehill could do if Jackson went down.

And with Flacco having the same base as Tannehill it wouldn’t make sense for them to trade a guy and then trade for a guy who has the same base salary.

Teams will sign backups who are cheaper; not at starting salaries. Atlanta just signed Schaub to a 2 yr deal.
      Bears have Chase Daniels on the cheap. Unless Tannehill is willing to redo his contract and states he will to facilitate a trade it’s not happening because teams would need to free up cap just to sign a backup qb.

65. BailBondMike says:

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 24 (OAK): Jones, Daniel, QB, Duke (A)
    Round 1 Pick 27 (OAK): Lawrence, Dexter, DT, Clemson (A)
    Round 2 Pick 16: Dillard, Andre, OT/OT, Washington State (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Jelks, Jalen, DE, Oregon (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 14: Bradbury, Garrett, C, North Carolina State (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Henderson, Darrell, RB, Memphis (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Cheevers, Hamp, CB, Boston College (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 17: Boykin, Miles, WR, Notre Dame (A+)

66. naplesfan2010 says:

Lou
    What’s so great about Beatherd?

• 2 yr vet on a bad team with starter experience. very intelligent quarterback. san fran has the most difficult offense in the league to learn and he started his rookie season. he’s mobile, sees the field well, reads D’s well and goes thru progressions well and gets ball out on time.

Not a rocket arm but it’s good enough and he’s accurate. he reminds me a bit of Pennington.

if we’re looking for a guy who can come in and play in our system for a year or 2 while we get everything else settled he would be my top pick to do it.

67. Ryan Tannehill is more valuable to this team being gone than being here. With $13M in cap space it allows them to go out and get at least one player that can help them at a position of need.

Maybe that money is used to sign Flowers or maybe it’s used on someone else but keeping Tannehill around even one more year doesn’t do them any good. They are building a team NOW.

68. naplesfan2010 says:

Lou
    >>>
    >>>
    Maybe you left out a “not” or something because it seems you are contradicting yourself.

Either they don’t know what they want or they are on the same page.
    Which way do you think it is?

• they have stated that they haven’t put together anything solid on the offensive side yet, it’s still in process. meaning, they don’t know exactly what the offense will look like.

but, grier and flores have stated that as far as a vision for the team they are aligned in their vision. so, where you were stating you think grier wants a gunslinger and you think flores wants someone more methodical like brady I don’t think that’s the case.

• naplesfan2010 says:

On what do you base that? Your preferences?
        I only say that about a nouveau brady clone because we just hired brady’s QB coach and his WR coach and several other guys who’ve seen up close how successful that model is.

C’mon, man. That’s not a wild speculation.
        I’m not saying they want an Aaron Rodgers clone.

And I do not believe for one second that Flores and Grier have no idea what offense they want. That would be highly irresponsible and is the opposisite of everyone’s praise of Flores being so extremely well prepared.

What i read is that Flores showed up for his interview with a 9-month plan for the team and blew the interview committee away with his detailed preps.

• I’m stating it based on their comments. Like Tim said, they’ve only been there 3 weeks and haven’t had a chance to put together anything solid. They ALL stated they’ve had a chance to sit down and evaluate the roster and then it was off to the Combine to watch those guys this week but they haven’t had a chance to even think about anything else.

THEY’RE the ones who said it. I’m just stating what they’ve said. Don’t get mad at me.

I think he means they’re not done evaluating the QB draft class or FA options. The new coaching staff has only been in the building 3 weeks. Now they’re at the combine.

69. naplesfan2010 says:

Lou
    no I think Baltimore had to get rid of Flacco for the same reason we need to get rid of Tannehill. Bad money and the fan base / coaches / other players are sick of him. He’s worn out his welcome.

Flacco and Tannehill both have skills. I disagree with anyone saying Tannehill is trash, but he has been physically beaten down, confused by the OC turnover, and suffered with multiple weapons lost to injury last year.

I mean, even I gave up when we lost Gore and Xavien. That was it for me.

• Tannehill is a solid backup and you don’t pay starter money for a backup quarterback.

I’d be surprised if we traded him. I think he’ll be released, he’ll clear waivers and then teams will start calling him as a true UFA as a backup/chance to compete option.

• you said it yourself above. he’s the guy who could come in for a few games during the season who won’t blow their whole season. a guy who could be solid enough for you for a few games but he’s not a guy who can be your qb for an entire season; a guy you want to be your starter. he’s a solid backup

• naplesfan2010 says:

That’s why people would want him. You are disagreeing with your statement that nobody wants him. That was what I am disagreeing with.

I’m quite sure he and everyody else knows his contract would be reworked.

• it’s not going to happen. they’re going to wait for him to be cut and sign him even cheaper for a one or two yr deal. that’s it.

70. naplesfan2010 says:

Both Grier and Flores came up as scouts. They hired super scout from KC Buffalo. They hired offensive advisor Caldwell with decades of esperience. They hired GM of the yr Reggie.

They are not clueless.

• Nobody said they are clueless. They’ve stated time and again in their pressers they are all aligned in what they want to do as far as building a team and what kind of players they are looking for.

Caldwell stated that it’s Flores’ team and he’ll do whatever he needs him to do. Every other coach has said the same thing and they’ve all repeated the same mantra “they are all aligned in their vision”.

The OC said he wants the offense to be multiple and the DC wants the defense to be multiple. As far as specifics, they haven’t had time to work them out because they’ve only been there 3 wks

Why do you think that I think they’re clueless? The QBs are working today at the combine. It’s early in the process. They’re not done with their evaluations. Just saw a picture of Marino sitting with Caldwell at the combine with Matt Moore sitting behind them. Seems he might be looking to get into the personnel or coaching business.

71. naplesfan2010 says:

Lou
    Buddy … Sorry
    I’m not the least bit mad at you, or anyone else. I basically never get mad.
    I’m so old, nothing really matters anymore.

I’m just offering my thoughts on stuff and saying I do not think Tannehill is done in this league, as I think Sanchez probably is, for example.

72. naplesfan2010 says:

I’m just really impressed with this new group of guys we have.

If you’d said Gase, Burke, and Loggains backed up by Tannenbaum are clueless, I would have agreed.

I think these new men have a blueprint in mind of the kind of QB they want: tough, steady, smart, and a team player. I agree they might not know which guy that is, because Grier said they’d studied lots of tape, but the most important part for him is the interviews.

• I agree 100%. This is an extremely impressive group of guys and they know what they want and definitely have an idea of how they want to get it done. What I really like about them is they are going to work together as a team to accomplish what they need to accomplish.

73. naplesfan2010 says:

Go Dolphins
    I’ve recovered from my morning lift at the gym,
    so now it’s off to the pool and some frozen concoction.

Hope we get a deal done for Tannehill where we get at least a 5th. If not, let’s cut him and move on.

• we’ll know soon enough because the league year begins in 11 days. so if he’s not traded over the next few days he’ll be cut to give him a shot in FA. and they’ll probably do it quickly so he can get a deal with a team before FA starts to give him a head start.

• and it’s going to be interesting to see how it plays out for him because we’ve all seen how some players get “deals” before FA even begins and some are signed early on and others linger.

wonder where he lands in all that.

74. I’ve not read anything about Flores showing up with a 9 month plan and, if he did, I hadn’t seen anything mentioned by any of the reporters in the interviews. You would think they’d be all over that with the questions.

Yeah that’s what I heard he did too in his interview – had a 9 month plan.

• where? nothing was said in any of his interviews with anyone. Congemi has talked to him a few times and him and Grier together and hasn’t brought it up and I haven’t read about that anywhere.

I heard that Phibin kept a binder for a plan if he ever became a head coach but I didn’t hear about this with Flores.

Patrick Graham and Chad O’Shea no doubt have their principles on what they want to run. But they will both utilize the talent that we have. That’s how the Pats do it. They don’t have a set in stone system year to year even though it might look like it. They play to their players’ strengths.

76. BailBondMike says:

Surprises for me today so far is:
    – Haskins is Slowwww. He isn’t running away from anyone in the NFL.
    – WR Miles Boykin was a late round pick for me but he ruined that. At 6’4″ 220 lbs, he ran a 4.42 and had a 43.5″ vertical. SMH He probably moved himself to rounds 3-5.

Boykins name is trending on google

You’ve been foiled!

• I’m not too concerned about Haskins running ability. He moves around well enough to avoid pressure but his release is quick enough to get rid of the ball quickly.

He goes thru his progressions fast also and as soon as he makes a decision the ball is out. He’s a prototypical dropback, pocket passer.

Lou, one of the reporters stated that was one of the things that impressed Grier and the Dolphins brass about Flores. He was uber prepared and had a 9 month plan. No details, just that statement.

78. BailBondMike says:

Lou, I am not concerned about Haskins running ability either. Was just saying I was surprised that it was that slow (over 5 seconds).

Piggy, the main criteria we keep hearing from the new coaching staff about what they look for in a QB is smart, accurate and a leader.

How to end your career prematurely. SMH

When I see the draft prospect wear this at the draft

I know he will be worthy of pick #13

82. So Jachai Polite has stated he’s only had 1 good interview so far because they other teams he’s met with were too busy “picking my game apart”. Apparently, he doesn’t care to be critiqued. Not a good fit here.

My under the radar Samurai day 3pick – Antoine Wesley, Texas Tech
    Big receiver, good hands

Not that it’s the biggest deal anyway.

Armando said way back at the end of the season big changes are coming. He was right. He recently said the approach to the roster will be a blood bath. I think he’ll be right again. I think we need to look further than the obvious trade or release possibilities. I think the idea is to take on the dead cap this year and be done with it in 2020. Suh’s $13M is still on the books. Tannehill’s $13M will be along with a lot of other players.

• well, dead cap is one thing but freeing up cap space is still a different subject. even with Suh’s dead cap and releasing Tannehill and Branch we’re looking at quite a bit of cap space freed up.

just Tannehill and Branch alone will give us $20M in extra cap. we could possibly end up as high as $60M with some other cuts. I know this contradicts what I said before about cutting Tannehill outright rather than June 1 but I’m not really concerned with the dead cap looking at all the cap space we could create.

Yes, I expect us to have plenty of cap to get the transition moving. But then another $30+M could potentially come off from this years’ cuts/trades next year. It’s crazy! We will lead the NFL in dead cap this season. The 2016-18 win now approach did not work. But it’s not a dire situation during a rebuild because we’re not going to go bonkers in FA anyway.

It is refreshing to see so many of you finally turning to the dark side. Where’s Bat?

No choice to not accept the overhaul. Some fans here are still holding onto some players (they like) and I think it may go further than even the ones we all discuss as possibilities.

87. Okay, so here’s what we’re looking at:

Murray going #1 overall to ARI
    Possiblity of Foles going to JAX
    Giants take Haskins
    Denver takes Lock
    Washington trades for Rosen

So, four of the first 12 teams go with a quarterback. That leaves just 8 picks ahead of us.

88. shit. Andy Isabella ran a 4.27. He doesn’t look that fast on tape.

We may make some trades nobody saw coming.

90. What I like about Grier’s interpretation of the Combine is he feels it’s the “underwear Olympics” as well and thinks the interview process with the players is the most important part of it.

You look at guys like DK Metcalf who is a workout warrior and looks like a beast yet none of it shows up on tape. He doesn’t put effort into blocking. doesn’t run good routes, doesn’t fight for extra yards after getting hit and doesn’t go up and fight for the ball.

He has an incredible yds per catch average but that’s about it.

I like their approach that they’re looking for the selfless players who are going to put the team first.

I meant to write something about that recently but never did. I agree with that 100%.

DK Metcalf is being compared to David Boston. He looks too big for a WR.

• BailBondMike says:

Being a ND homer, I do like Miles Boykin but someone will take him to early. Reason being, is he would still be a project but not a tough one. Only 1 good season of production. He just needs to learn some things and polish his route running. He is a big WR but for some reason struggles with press CB’s. Also, needs to sharpen his route running. His potential is very high though.

Well, at least we now know for sure that Tannehill won’t be with us this coming season.

I say build up the trenches (both sides of the Line), and make a play to land my guy Tyree Jackson afterward.

I think Tevon Wesco, TE, WVU, made himself some $$$ today. While he had been scheduled to be a late-round/UDFA pick, I think he’s going to be a difference maker in the NFL and his stock just went up.

He reminds me just a bit of Mark Bruener, just not quite as polished. Mid-round selection, methinks.

Noah Fant, TE, of the Randy Hawkeyes, made himself some $$$ today with a 4.50 40-yard dash time.

I think Haskins failure to get under a 5.0 40 may bode well for Miami.

does any one want a slow QB?

I DO!

There is a lot of confusion at the QB position, we could go any number of ways…it all depends on how the chips fall into place.
    will there be a QB at 13 worth taking? Will we draft one in later rounds?will we sign a FA QB? will we trade for Rosen? or will we stand pat with Tannehill this year and focus our QB search next year.

if Haskins is gone I continue with Tannehill, get more early picks by trading back, Evaluate the QB position next year.

I don’t think there’s a better option than Tannehill if Haskins is gone.
    if they’re hell bent on getting rid of T Hill then just get a stop gap.

the Clemson QB is probably the best option and we have plenty of time to target him.

• BailBondMike says:

I agree on the most part, but if we are going with a stop gap, I would just roll with Ruddock instead of bringing in an old vet. Heck I would even sign Gilbert from Orlando as soon as their season is over. Let him battle Ruddock, Faulk and a mid round rookie QB.

• BailBondMike says:

I really like the Clemson QB also and that kid from Texas Ehlinger who will probably come out in 2021 as well. Fromm next year.

96. as was posted above, Haskins said he was suffering from leg cramps before running his 40 and recorded times in the 4.8’s during training.

I thought he was just playing it safe and didn’t care so much about posting a slow time because qb’s aren’t really graded on speed.

Dexter Lawrence is huuuge

98. BailBondMike says:

Rob, playing golf today? I am really itching to get out there. Have not played since October and have not even been to the range.

99. Personally, and I may be wrong but I think the ONLY qb Miami is interested in at #13 is Haskins. I really don’t think they want anyone else. They may even be willing to trade up four of five spots to get him. As far as the other guys go I think they would pass and just take a blue chip defender instead.

Those short arms make is easier. Not taking away from it too much cause he was real strong, but the guy who could could bench the most on my college wrestling team was our 135 pounder. He’d throw up like 350, but kid was built like a little block. His up was 12 inches (maybe more but you get the idea).

103. If teams think DK Metcalf will be a beast in the NFL then Greedy Williams should be a top 3 pick. He shut him down COMPLETELY. Metcalf was afraid.

After watching more of the qb prospects in this draft, AGAIN, for like the 12th time I am convinced there isn’t a better passer in the bunch than Dwayne Haskins. His accuracy is head and shoulders above the rest, he makes quick decisions and, when he does, the ball is out and delivered accurately. Personally, I don’t think it’s even close.

104. with all these d linemen posting these fantastic numbers today it is quite possible we get a shot at Haskins at #13.

Or maybe we get a real good guy on the D-line. Need that too.

• yeah, we do. definitely. I’ve been a proponent of that for a long time but if Haskins is there at #13 it’s not going to be any easy decision unless the d lineman/linemen sitting there are just that much better. I believe Haskins is the elite talent at qb in this draft; not Murray or anyone else.

Watching these 40 times over the last few days confirmed to me that for some positions it really doesn’t matter. Especially OL and some of the bigger DL. You can run fast 40 times but if you can’t use your hands properly, play with leverage and play tough it doesn’t really matter how fast you run because you’re not running 40s in games.

• two things come to mind. 1. it confirms the ability you’ve already seen on tape. if a guy is a lumbering, slow lineman it could be a detriment at the next level where everyone is fast and 2. while they aren’t running 40’s out there the speed does come in handy when they need to turn around and run a guy down from behind.

But a lot of that is a different type of running in games. It’s more like running through a maze or mosh in games. I’m more impressed with their feet, balance and short space movement because that’s what they do at their position most of the time, not running all out in straight lines. Not saying it’s not impressive if you can run fast, just not as much of a negative if you can’t.

• well, the way I look at it is if you’re pushing that kind of weight at that speed and don’t fall on your face your balance is pretty damn good. lol

“Tannehill is not likely to be considered a starting quarterback for most teams because of his past inability to overcome issues of pocket awareness, instincts, movement within the pocket, anticipation and other smaller things.”
    ————————————–
    That’s Mando. Brings up an interesting option — is Tanny willing to do a Matt Moore? And that goes with us or any other team. He’s already made like $50 mil and getting $4 mil a year for holding a clipboard ain’t a bad gig. Means don’t take the hits and also comes with job security.

• I think Ryan Tannehill thinks he still has the ability to be a starter in this league and will want to prove so. So I can’t see him just willing to stand on the sidelines as a backup. He will want to be a free agent in order to test the market and see who wants him.

I think he needs to be realistic about the situation but there’s plenty of fans who still think he’s got what it takes to be a starter and I think he thinks that as well.

Think he has it in him to me a mid-level starter (and that down from not elite, but still franchise), but seems a lot of the football experts don’t agree with me on that.

• well, you have to agree that if no team is willing to pay him a starter’s salary then he isn’t starter material, whether it be mid-level or not. he can be a solid enough backup to maybe win you a few games if your starter goes down for a short period of time but that’s about it.

He’ll be a better backup than an Osweiler but and probably on the same level as a Moore or Fitzpatrick but he’ll never hold down a job as a starter. Except in Miami. But those days are over as well.

I’m pretty sure Tannehill is willing to do whatever
      He’s a stand up guy no matter what his flaws are

I doubt his flaws are what hurts his trade value
      It’s probably his salary

When a guy has been given chances to be the starter and hasn’t done it
      He’s just going to be lumped in with a few other guys competitions for the starting job on any roster

Which is fine – but it’s hard to justify his salary if he ends up being your backup

The only way tannehill salary works, is if a team needs a vet to hold down the fort for their recent draftee QB

Pig — the one thing am starting to get sure of is that if Tanny becomes a FA he won’t be getting the $18 mil he is now on the books for next season. Not sure what his market value is, but is south of that. And that makes a trade hard as well.

Lou, when they were showing Metcalf’s game highlights he doesn’t look as fluid as a Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Jones type. He looks like more of a straight line vertical guy.

• yeah, he does. Gil Brandt was posting his and Johnson’s Combine numbers on Twitter for comparison and I was like I can’t believe he’s going there. There is no comparison. Metcalf doesn’t have the route tree down and if you watch him vs Williams he was just shut down completely. He doesn’t look like he wants to work hard against the better guys. He’ll try and dominate the lesser player and just shut down vs the better player.

See: DeVante Parker

I don’t see Haskins being available past pick 6 but what does everyone else think? I’ve been looking at rumors and the supposed trade of Rosen to the Redskins has me hopeful. Foles to Jax or Giants but I don’t see the other passing on Haskins. None of the other QBs are really worth the #13 pick so hopefully we get an elite DL or move down. I’d love to move down and still get Simmons but his market is so unpredictable. I’d like Clelin, Wilkins or Oliver if we stay at #13. I’m not impressed with the OL talent in the first in comparison.

Montez Sweat at 6-6 260 runs a record 4.42 for DL then beats it with a 4.41. Now is he a player at the next level?

Clemson has 5 DL at the combine and our new DL coach has coached them all.

Mando said exactly what I’ve been saying for a number of years. Those “small things” are what make a QB limited and eventually end up making him a backup because it also limits every player around them and holds your offense back.

112. If the Phins were to land Haskins and have him, Grant, Wilson, Gisecki, Drake and add Marquise Brown and Olamide Zaccheaus to the mix and I think it would be difficult for just about any defense to stop our offense.

Watching the bag drill and the blocks drill, you see how some guys really have a strong hand punch. That means an awful lot, it’s not just speed. That punch gets you separation. Having speed is great, but if you get washed out or engulfed every snap, your speed is useless.

114. Stanger,
    Just adding my two cents to your post above about strength, Franco Colombo was only 5’5″ but was a lot stronger than Arnold.

You got me to look up who he is…. very similar to the guy I am talking about. Who was a great guy and obviously strong, but didn’t show on the mat as much as his bench. Pretty good but you’d think he’d be great (what other 135 pounder could do that). Always wondered if he he worked out too much and his strength became too zoned rather than flexible.

Lou, that’s why Oliver is so tough to block. OL can’t get their hands on him because he’s so quick. Like Donald.

Lou,

I don’t think Simmons drops that far. He’s an elite talent at a higher rated position than LB. He could definitely go in the 2nd but I think he’ll be a late first for one of the top tier teams that have the time and extra talent to allow him to wait a year.

On the QBs, I can’t see Lock above Haskins unless it’s Denver? Going in another direction, what is the highest people would go up for a QB in this draft and for whom? That’s just for people willing to move up. I’d climb to #7 for Haskins but that’s about it and only if my team of evaluators agreed with me.

I’d rather be quick than strong unless I’m just asked to anchor or hold guys.

Lou,
    Columbu was a power lifter before he went into bodybuilding. There’s a big difference between building a physique and building power. Arnold was a bodybuilder.

Randy — ever see those guys who looked like Adonis? Am sure did better with the ladies, but man did I see so many of them end up on their back and couldn’t get off.

I’m just talking in general not about a specific guy. It needs to be functional strength. Reps on the bench are fine but game tape is where you see if a guy has functional strength. That’s why the combine can be misleading. The more information the better but it needs to be used in context.

Oliver didn’t work out today, right?

121. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001020300/article/kyler-murray-believed-almost-universally-to-be-top-pick

It Looks like We won’t get Murray, We can’t trade up to the top pick, I believe it’s way too expensive.

It Would likely cost us Two first round picks, with another pick or player tossed in.

The only way possible Murray comes to Miami? Cardinals take 2 firsts, and Tannehill. But cardinals would have to eat a huge salary for Tannehill, and have to believe RT is their guy.

I see it as less than 1 percent chance We get Murray

122. Haskins is much too slow to play behind our OL, he isn’t our guy.

He would be another injured Player for Miami, he isn’t durable enough to get pounded relentlously and hold up
    His knees aren’t any stronger than RT knees, and We have all seen slow speed in the NCAA is slow speed in any league. You can’t coach speed, a guy can run or not without coaching.

We need a better OL, and a QB that can at least outrun A tomato plant.

BailBondMike says:
    March 3, 2019 at 9:29 am
    ____________________________________

Taking some time off as my lower back is killing me, i played twice last week, i usually play every day.

125. ORob, You were incorrect on Murrays size too,

He measured at the combine 5′ -10 and 1/8, And weighed 207 pounds

There are reports that some scouts think his 207 weigh in was water weight and being that he did no drills it wouldn’t effect him. All he did was get measured and weighed. Many think he’ll be lighter at his pro day even though he may not have another weigh in. There is no questioning his arm, his speed and athletic ability but is size is a concern. That doesn’t mean he won’t pan out and be a dynamic QB in the NFL. But to ignore his limited size is being a homer because you like him. LOL

• No, I don’t remember pro s exact stats, but he was way off, like over 30 pounds.

I hope for his health he doesn’t have 35’pounds of water gain

I provided stats in a link to back up my point from reliable sources
        I was correct.

ORob provided very small height, like 5 7 and very low weight, he wasn’t even close, with no links, source, nothing but contrarianism for whatever reason or agenda he has.

No worries, he isn’t charged with selecting our talent 😎

David, Haskins isn’t that slow. He had some sort of injury and has been timed in the 4.8s in the past which is fine. He’s a pocket passer, not a runner. You don’t pass on a QB you covet because of the OL. You don’t even know what the OL will look like yet.

stanger,
    Yep. Big difference between having big muscles and being strong. You were a competitive athlete so you know. You can feel it when you go against somebody who is powerful.

That’s true. Some people are really strong despite their size. My uncle who was like 5-7 165 was really strong. His hands were really strong. He did physical labor for a living in carpentry and construction. When he’d hug you it felt like he was crushing you. It was a well know thing among family members. LOL

David,
    We don’t really even know what our OL will be this year….let alone in 2 or 3 years. I don’t think that’s a reason to draft or not draft a QB. Plus, slow doesn’t equate to poor pocket management.

129. Haskins was very slow at the combine, and our OL has already proven its ineffectiveness at protecting a QB with poor pocket presence, so it’s not a reach to think the slowest QB in the top QB,s. Wouldn’t e a good fit behind our OL.

It’s true no one knows who our starting OL is yet, but it’s like this every year, with the same lackluster results.

IF we had an established OL that was excellent at QB, we could bring a slow guy in and it could work, but that’s not us, our OL sucks every damn year for a very long time.
    I just think Haskins, like any QB , would greatly benefit from a strong ass OL,
    I hope he gets one for his sake

I am losing hope we get a potential franchise QB this year, probably next year We will .

One could argue it may be better if we build the OL this year,
    and bring in a franchise hopeful next season.

I’m almost ready to adopt this viewpoint

David, Haskins is faster than Dan Marino and Tom Brady. Being able to avoid pressure is not just about speed. It’s about awareness and decision making. Get rid of it quickly or throw it away. I personally don’t want my QB running all the time. My concern with Murray is can he take a hit to the chest from a 300+ man as he’s releasing the ball, get back up and keep playing? As he’s scrambling and running around and gets drilled by a LB squarely, can he get back up and keep playing? That’s my biggest concern with him, not his height to see over the line. There is plenty of space between QB and the protection along with designed passing lanes. Will it be a negative at times yeah, but can also be an advantage sometimes when they can’t find him. LOL

• But, We had an excellent Offensive line when Marino was here, We don’t now.

Brady also benefits from a good OL, that is allowed to get away with holding, we don’t have that either.

Agreed Marino and Brady aren’t or weren’t fast, but not agreed on the quality of the OL, which is exactly the point.

Our OL sucks, can they protect RT? No
        Can they protect a slow QB? Ummm. Remains to be seen, but I would hate to see a slow guy in the hospital.

We must have a great OL, and a great QB, or we won’t win enough games

David,
    Again, speed has very little to do with pocket management. Marino was slow, but his pocket management was phenomenal. It’s a matter of managing a 1-2 yard box….not how fast you are. Tannehill is pretty fast for a QB but is terrible at pocket management. Straight line speed matters very little.

131. Randy, A quality OL and quality OL are needed for rebuild.
    It’s tough to argue a slow QB can succeed behind our crummy ass OL,

but feel free to share of any slow QB,s , OR poor pocket presence behind Miamis OL in the last decade were great in Your opinion

David, I guarantee you teams don’t pass on QBs because of the state of their OL. You also don’t just draft one because they can run.

133. Cue the arguments we don’t need an offensive line or QB,,,,,

lmao. Wtf.
    Can the debaters at least Provide links we can succeed without quality OL or QB? Lmao. Waiting for a few seconds,,, then moving on

134. I get the sense people maybe are unhappy in their lives, or something isn’t right, and feel the need to be contrarian regardless of the issue or point.

Incorrect stats said in agenda or bias , are given priority over unbiased reliable sources that state verifiable facts.?

I would hope we could discuss football without being contrarian with alternative facts or falsehoods, that can’t be sourced, versus objectivism based on verifiable sources.

If we can’t, then You guys can argue among yourselves, I’ll discuss football with people that want to do the same, no worries, and thanks for understanding 😎

Where is Phelon when we need him with a “Sweet baby Jesus”

136. The Orlando Apollos are still undefeated at 4-0 😎

Anyone liking QB Garrett Gilbert, or WR Charles Johnson , and would You like to see either or both in Miami?

David,
    I never said you don’t want a quality OL. Who would ever claim that? My counterpoint was that a QB’s 40 time isn’t a measure of their ability to manage a pocket….and hence….no reason not to draft him. Of course we want to improve the quality of both our OL and QB. That wasn’t the debate. Nothing wrong with not believing Haskins is a quality QB but saying we shouldn’t draft him because of the current state of our OL doesn’t make a lot of sense….because that will probably change over the next decade….probably several times.

• I appreciate and respect this, just differing opinion on hypothetical picks for our team.

I’m not sure Haskins will even be available at 13 to be honest. There will be a run on QB early, like usual

I would try to get on board of Haskins was the pick, but I’d be screaming OL loudly, We have to protect whoever the QB is ,
      better than we did for RT

138. Johnson and Gilbert highlights

The AAF players can be brought in as free agents, the level of competition isn’t NFL quality, but these guys could be brought in for an inexpensive looksee

Randy — the guys who always beat me were the strong ones built like blocks. I was the long and lean type (wrestled 157 or in college 167 at 5’11”). If the guy as good at same weight at 5’8″ met my match.

We don’t need quality OL or a QB

Searching for links now

😝

141. Just to reiterate and I don’t know if anyone said this since I last posted but Simmons tore his ACL training for the Combine. That is the reason I think he drops to the 2nd. Can’t see anyone taking him in the first with that injury. He won’t see training camp and won’t be ready for the season.

142. This is awesome imo.
    From the conceptual and free will mind of Geddy Lee, still prevalent today 😎

There are those who think
    That life has nothing left to chance
    A host of holy horrors
    To direct our aimless dance
    A planet of playthings
    We dance on the strings of powers we cannot perceive

The stars aren’t aligned or the gods are malign
    Blame is better to give than receive
    You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
    I will choose a path that’s clear, I will choose freewill

David, if you seriously have to ask if anywhere here doesn’t think we need quality on the OL and QB, then it proves you don’t read what anyone else says. LOL

Yes I guarantee you that teams will take the big time QB regardless of the status of their OL and team. The Colts did with Luck with a poor OL, almost got him killed, but they weren’t going to pass on him because of it. Know what I’m saying?

• I hear ya bro, that’s not it.

I just make a simple statement we need ol and QB, and the contrarians pop out we don’t, it is what it is, I was a bit sarcastic , but moved on , chilling to Rush now 😎

But while I got ya on the horn, what’s Your take on FA possibles from the Orlando Team?

Not following the AAF league. All those guys will get evaluated and some will get chances in NFL training camps. I expect us to clear a lot of cap space through trade/release, eat the dead cap for this year, get it back in 2020, sign some OL this year even if they’re just serviceable guys with some starter experience, draft a few, and sign a bunch of UDFAs along with who we may keep. To me we build around Tunsil which is not a bad situation when you already have a quality young LT. Kilgore at center will be healthy and he might be a guy we keep around for at least this year’s transition at just $2.4M. That’s not a lot of money for a pro center.

• Thanks,

I’m not sure any of Orlando OL would be serviceable in the NFL, but the thing is, they are inexpensive looks at talent, so some teams will surely tap into the AAF, especially when the injury bug hits

Did Neil Peart wrote a lot of the lyrics of Rush songs?

That’s unusual for a 🥁

145. question: Is Winovich playing DE or OLB in the NFL?

I’d say multiple. He’s the type of edge guy the Pats would draft. Uh-hem! 😉

DE

I think he can play OLB in a 3-4
      But he probably won’t be great in coverage and I don’t think he’s a great pass rusher
      Just a real solid overall player mainly bc he works hard on technique and has a nonstop engine
      I don’t want to sell him short
      He has some versatility but I think he would be better as a 4-3 DE base

146. IMO, Haskins develops into a phenomenal talent at the next level. When you see his development just in the short period of time he’s played it’s really amazing and he’s nowhere near his ceiling yet. The kid was only in his first full year and he was already setting his own protections.

again, if you want an idea of what he’s all about, watch the TCU game. tons of dropped passes, tons of low snaps, hit numerous times when throwing and nothing rattles him. and his accuracy on his throws is just outstanding; fitting the ball into tight windows

I’d draft him. He may not become elite but I do think he’ll be a quality starting NFL QB you can win with.

Never knew that about Neil Peart

I just thought he was the guy who invented the drum solo…lol

Uh…. no, drum solos have been going on in jazz and rock long before Peart. I believe John Bonham’s Moby Dick was the first drum solo to be on a rock album in 1969 – Led Zeppelin II. Ginger Baker of Cream and Keith Moon of The Who were doing long drum solos at shows before Bonzo. Peart was more known for having 12 or so different drums and cymbals, chimes etc. He had a very big kit. LOL

• Geddy Lee said in an interview I saw with the three of them that Peart was the best of them at writing the lyrics so they let him do it.

148. Why the Lee shade? Lmao

For the record, Geddy Lee was a very prolific song writer, he wrote 86 songs!

I totally agree and am amazed with Davids insight, we should definitely move up sell the farm to draft Haskins, I’ts a no brainer, he’s gonna be great!

150. Reports from Indy are Polite rubbed a lot of teams the wrong way and then followed it up with a poor performance at the Combine.

Most are saying he’s now definitely out of first rd consideration and his attitude can drop him lower.

151. here it is:

Jim Nagy

Verified account

@JimNagy_SB
    9h
    9 hours ago

As we begin another day of 40-yard runs at #Combine…Smart NFL teams make their scouts assign a “play speed” in the fall based off how fast prospects play on tape. And truly smart teams will place more emphasis on those “play speeds” than the 40’s on draft day. #trustyourscouts

152. It’s interesting that Kingsbury is saying straight out at the Combine he’s definitely taking Murray #1 overall. Why would a team even do that?

Could be trying to conjure up a trade for another team(s) that is in love with Murray.

• The heismann trophy winning QB is at the top of player evaluations for many in the business of drafting talent.

He is the best QB in the draft, and the best player. After the combine, the fears of him being 5 ‘ 7 and 158 pounds or whatever were laid to rest.

He was measured a shade over 5 ’10’, and weighed in at 207.

I would expect Murray to be the number 1 or 2 pick, it’s not possible he makes it through the top 5, and even if he did, Giants would surely nab him at 6

He was actually quoted before praising Murray before he was the HC of the cardinals

I just think the cat is out of the bag

153. The only way Murray drops to 13 , is with the Marino drug accusation trick, lol

we can start drug rumors on Murray and he falls to 13,

We remember Marijuana brought Tunsil down to 13 also, hmmm

Jk btw 😎, but stranger things have already happened before

“Peart had been Rush’s primary lyricist, and he has also published several memoirs about his travels. His lyrics for Rush have addressed universal themes and diverse subjects including science fiction, fantasy, and philosophy, as well as secular, humanitarian, and libertarian themes. he has written seven nonfiction books that are primarily travel-based, though they delve into his life and these themes and subjects as well.”

Yes he plays drums, but he’s also a writer. 🙂

Mike Mamula!!! Yep! LOL

Somebody asked about Josh Allen.

“Kentucky’s Josh Allen ran with the linebackers for some reason, though he’s going to be an edge player at the pro level at 262 pounds. When compared to the best of the LBs, his 4.63 40 doesn’t look all that great, but put it up next to Bosa’s 4.79 at 266 pounds and you see how strong it is. In drills, Josh Allen showed great change of direction and good hands, which those teams with 3-4 defenses picking high will love to see.”

I included the link in case anyone need to verify the information.

David, some might argue Cream was the best trio but for me I don’t do that. Both were great. The difference is Rush lasted for over 40 years and Cream like 2 years. Eric Clapton like his contemporary and friend Jeff Beck, neither was able to stick with a band for more than a year or two. Their other contemporary and friend Jimmy Page had Led Zeppelin for a decade.

• I also dont agree Cream was the est trio, and haven’t even heard that before, lol

They certainly were good for a very brief time, but they can’t hold a candle to Rush imo

I have been to about 20 or so concerts in my lifetime, and Rush was the est by far.
      Their live performance was even better quality than the original recordings, they used to improve as they go.

Most groups live arent early as good as the original recording, so they make it up a little by proving extra beats, lyrics, riffs, etc.

Also I don’t know who doesn’t the sound mixing, but damned if Rush doesn’t have a top notch roadie crew too, those guys match the sound perfectly for different venues, better than anyone else

158. naplesfan2010 says:

zztop?

Best trio ever

160. I’ll take the CFL over the AAF any day.

161. Matt Miller

Verified account

@nfldraftscout
    1h
    1 hour ago

Just landed back home, opened my phone and had 5 texts from scouts about how bad Jachai Polite interviewed. On top of bad workouts (one called his injury “bullshit”), his stock is taking a massive tumble.

Seems a little crazy for interviews to have that affect

What did he do

Did he take his pants off during the interview?
      Did he call the GM’s wife over for a booty call?
      Did he insist on doing an interview with a puppet?

What did he do?

• the one thing I heard is he didn’t like teams picking his game apart. couldn’t take constructive criticism I guess. other than that, I don’t know. at least he didn’t get sent home like Foster but it’s still a red flag when a guy doesn’t like to be told things about the way he plays the game.

IMO, some teams or maybe even more than that may think he’s uncoachable and he may drop even further.

Story would have been cooler if he insisted on doing his interviews with a puppet

• or a hot dog with a beard and sunglasses

David, everyone in Cream was excellent at what they do – Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. They were the big deal at the time. What about Jimi Hendrix, Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding? All short lived but they helped open the door for everyone afterwards.

If you said “they can’t hold a candle to Rush”, Rush would laugh and say now you’re reaching. LOL

March 3, 2019 at 6:54 pm
    I find it hard to believe an interview has that kind of impact

_______________________________
    Piggy,
    If you listen to Grier’s recent interviews he’s stated that the interview process with the players is the most important part of the entire week.

I know but it seems rather dramatic that a lot of teams around the nfl give that much weight to the interview process

LOL @ The Flying Pig says:
    March 3, 2019 at 7:24 pm

Back from another convention in Baltimore. The weather REALLY SUCKED!!
    ANY REPORTS on how my boy Devin Singletary did in INDY?
    ———–
    SPEAKING OF TRIOS, at one time way,way back in my youth, many thought the best trio ever was named “KINGSTON!” –FORTUNATELY, I never agreed with that conclusion!

He ran a slow 40-4.66 at 5-7 203. Considered more quick and football player than straight line speed. Maybe late 1st, probably 2nd or 3rd. If he falls further than that some team probably gets a playmaker at great value.

David, think about this too. Zep, Sabbath and The Who were all trios with lead singers. Drums, bass and guitar drove those bands. ELP was a trio: Greg Lake – vocals, bass, guitar; Keith Emerson – keys; Carl Palmer – percussion. They’re all great. Rush was influenced by them all. 🙂

Interviews are the most important part of the combine because the rest of it is fairly unimportant. It’s a chance for teams to gain information about facets of these guys’ makeup they haven’t had a chance to see…or test…in person. If they don’t have scouts who are good enough to have already gotten a good idea of their physical abilities, then their scouts suck. It’s the mental piece in interviews that is still somewhat unknown. The interviews and the physicals are most important.

TIM: Thanks for the info. IF Singletary lasts past round 3, someone’s gonna get true value for that pick.

169. ElephantRider says:

Oy!

I see Rashan Gary pretty much killed the Combine with his performance and ran 4.58 40… GOOD. Now hopefully, some sucker team will take him before we select @ R1P13. That is… unless we truly feel we can coach him up: his tape is most inconsistent and he doesn’t do anything particularly well.

So what I learned today, earlier, is that the Dolphins would want a great OL and a great QB. I mean, who knew? Let’s get that on order.

Old Dolfan,

Let’s wait to see what Singletary runs at his Pro Day. Something tells me he was ailing at the Combine what with his underwhelming 40-time, and he’s going to drastically improve upon it.

Anyone here think Montez Sweat secured himself as a top-5 selection?

If he moves up that high
      Some one else drops

Between Bosa and Williams
      How much room is there in the top 5 for sweat?

That’s what I’m trying to determine, Pigster… how could the top-5 look? And you’ve gotta put Josh Allen up there, as well.

Yeah

I wonder if some one like Bosa get pushed out

Guys like Devin White and Metcalf helped themselves too

Looking at defense this is what I see that remains:
    DT – Godchaux, Taylor
    Edge – Harris
    LB – McMillan, Baker
    DB – Howard, Fitzpatrick, McCain, McDonald

McDonald is paid almost $7M to stay or go. I think we trade Reshad Jones. The same with Alonso and we release Spence at $3.25M.

LOL… guys during a rebuild we need a lot. Still in win now mode I see? LOL

176. Piggy,
    If you’re a GM and you interview a guy who’s really a douchebag would you want him on your team. I don’t care how good he played in college I’m going to be turned off. You see it happen often enough, most recently with Reuben Foster’s claim of self-importance that got him sent home and now he’s lucky to still be in the NFL.

Can’t take chances on guys in the first rd. Polite was a 1st rd prospect. Who wants to waste a pick on a guy who may not make it thru his 1st contract? If we did our homework with Dion FF maybe we would have never made that mistake

If I’m a GM I draw the lines at puppets…lol

I guess off a guy seems like a disruptive force to the team rather than the opposition, I will cross it off my list

IF Kliff Kingsbury is actually being serious about taking Kyler Murray @ R1P1 (doesn’t matter if he’s blowing smoke for a trade: the trader will want Murray to make such a trade if the bait is taken IN AND OF ITSELF in this case), the 2019 Draft will be turned upside down from the onset… and it will benefit us.

That will all but ensure that Dwayne Haskins goes shortly thereafter, and more ‘blue-chippers’ will get pushed down to us.

I think he’s serious
      He has a relationship with Murray and likes him
      It would be kind of cold to do a 180

So ‘IF’ that’s the case (that Kingsbury is being serious)…

R1P1: Kyler Murray
        2-6?, in no particular order…
        Nick Bosa
        Jonah Williams
        Josh Allen
        Montez Sweat
        Dwayne Haskins

I dunno, but that’s a possibility. I’m not taking into account the teams that draft within the top-6, being trades are a huge possibility.

I have confidence the new regime will pick a very good football player at #13. I really do. But even that one pick is not going to define this team in 2021. Maybe it will and maybe it won’t. If one bust ruins you over 3 years you did a bad job.

Ya mustn’t bust on a 1st round draft pick… EVER. I mean, that will set any team back. And with that stated, I coming around to your thoughts on the BPA over need… within reason, of course.

The best idea is always BPA meshing with need. Ya can stray away from that ideology to a certain degree, but never too far.

And yes, Tim… I’m beginning to believe that a fantastic player is going to be availed to us @ R1P13. Let’s just get it right!

QBs getting pushed up in the draft. Who woulda thunk it? Lol

M13, if one player sets you back outside of a franchise QB, you did a bad job building your team.

I’ll say this… add Trey Flowers and Ed Oliver to Godchaux, Taylor, Harris along with McMillan, Baker, Howard, Fitzpatrick, McMain and McDonald. That can be a very good defense.

We all love Reshad but he’ll be 33 in 2021. He’s making a lot of money. He can help put a team over the top. I think we’re trying to trade him. Even taking a late rd pick to take on his contract. His contract is overbearing for a team rebuilding. It makes no sense.

No way, why would we trade Reshad? 😉

A team taking on his contract for a late rd pick would be good. Anything better than that would be groovy. LOL

Reshad Jones can help take a defense to another level. He’s in his prime. He won’t be in 2021. He’s already been banged up multiple times.

Jeff Ireland’s best draft pick – 5th rd 2010? I think so.

Because going 6-10 or 7-9 with one of the highest paid safeties in the NFL makes no sense when reset has landed. LOL

183. ElephantRider says:

Alonso isnt going anywhere!!

184. Would anyone be disappointed if we took Taylor or Ford at RT in the 1st and followed it up with either Jenkins or McCoy at C in the 2nd?

185. Anti-Hater says:

I don’t get the rumors of the Dolphins wanting to give up a 1st round pick for Josh Rosen. If he is so good, why would Az not want him and want to take a new first round QB?

55.2% comp, 2,278 yds, 11 TD, 14 Int 66.7 rat

Does he look like a franchise QB?

• ocalarob says:

I don’t think anyone will do that despite his numbers, if we’re going the FA route i’d rather have Carr anyways, maybe a 3rd for Rosen due to him on the rookie scale, maybe a 4th for Carr due to the massive contract,

I doubt we go either way.

• ocalarob says:

when he puts that helmet on with the beak and those eyes…he looks like a cardinal!

by trading jones we will save 5 mil on the cap, he will count 17mil against the cap if we keep him 12 if we trade him.

is it worth letting him go to get 5 mil more on the cap?

that’s the real question

• Anti-Hater says:

it depends on the pick compensation involved with the trade. If someone desperate team wants to give us a 1st round pick for him? F Yeah! a 2nd? Still think yeah. a 3rd? I’m still considering it.

i say we keep jones and if haskins is gone trade back and acquire picks and get dexter lawrence

there i fixed it
    _______________________________________________
    March 3, 2019 at 10:50 pm
    I’ll say this… add Trey Flowers and (Dexter Lawrence) to Godchaux, Taylor, Harris along with McMillan, Baker, Howard, (Fitzpatrick FS), (Jones SS) (McDonald hybrid LBer) (Alonso) and add another shutdown CB.

i don’t think it’s a matter of need vs bpa, i think where this team is at bpa trumps need all day!

Kurt Warner’s take on this year’s QB crop:

“It’s a very average group. Kyler Murray’s probably the pick of the litter, though he’s very polarizing among teams. There’s a lot to like about Dwayne Haskins, who has a good arm and played very well last year at Ohio State. But to me, I don’t believe either one is as good as Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold from last year.

“After Murray and Haskins, every guy in this group has limitations. So when I look at this crop, I see maybe two starters in the NFL. Not to say other guys can’t develop into starters, but Murray and Haskins are the ones I like, and I wouldn’t bank on any of the others to become reliable starters in the league.

“[Buffalo’s] Tyree Jackson is technically all over the place. I think he’s a huge project, but a fascinating one. [Duke’s] Daniel Jones, to get the momentum to make those big throws downfield, had to take some pretty big hitches. [West Virginia’s] Will Grier—I didn’t feel he had great accuracy, and not a lot of mustard on the ball. [North Carolina State’s] Ryan Finley is limited when he gets on the move—that’s when his lack of arm strength shows up. I do like how he plays with his mind, from what I studied.

“In general, I don’t think it’s a consistent group.”

If Arizona trades Rosen, they get no more than a third.

The word on Sweat is that he can be inconsistent. Doubt he goes in the top 5.

I say trade Jones. Especially if Miami is done trading players for too little. Jones should bring at least a 3rd, if not a 2nd. Pro Bowl safety in his prime with a reasonable contract.

194. bailbondmike says:

I agree Phish. Another 3rd would go a long way in fixing the OL. If we were able to do that, I would go DT and DE in 1st and 2nd in no particular order.

• pheloniusphish says:

Sounds good to me. ’Cause you know Miami need an elite OL and QB….

Going to be a lot of blue chip defensive players available at 13 and beyond. Hopefully, someone behind us will fall in love with one of them and allow Miami to trade back a little and pick up some extra picks, while still getting an impact defensive player.

I would throw a 3rd at Rosen if we picked up an extra one. And still be prepared to draft another QB early next year or the year after.

I get why Kingsbury would trade Rosen. His guy is available in this draft, and if he manages to trade the guy the team drafted (not his guy) last year, he could get an additional first through 3rd pick. Why the heck not?I doubt it will be us trading our 1st for him, if we weren’t going to spend our 1st pick on him last year, why would we do it this year? I’d focus on a QB in this draft, I don’t like Rosen

• pheloniusphish says:

I didn’t like Rosen last year either, but he’s a better prospect than this year’s crop. But for no more than a 3rd.

197. ElephantRider says:

Ride with Falk or Ruddock. Draft Tyree Jackson. Then draft more next year. From what I read here, anybody is an upgrade from RT17 and we shouldn’t even draft a good QB because of our OL anyway.