Miami Dolphins 2019 Schedule – All the details

If you’re a real football fan, you know the schedule comes out this evening at 8PM EST. You also know I ain’t got no details fer ya, because there aren’t any details to give. We know besides our divisional foes that we’ll be hosting the Baltimore Ravens, Los Angeles Chargers, Cincinnati Bengals, Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins. We’ll be traveling to play the Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, Indianapolis Colts, Pittsburgh Steelers and the NY Giants, as well as our divisional foes. All this will take place precisely between September and December, so plan accordingly.

News is very slow at this time of year, and although the NFL Draft is just 8 days away, we know no more about what our plans are or which players we’re really interested. Job well done Miami Dolphins! That’s how it should be. Our local Miami beat reporters must be losing their collective minds. This is business done the way it should be done. Now all they have to do is actually ace every pick in this draft, do the same in 2020, and we’re on our way to championship football, right?

This evening past 8PM EST the first deliberations will begin for the 2019 Fest. The poll will probably go up tomorrow, or maybe the next day, depends on when Counselor Piggy is available. Rock will vote about 20-30 times for a game no one else wants to attend, and make sure to tell us too.

Next week, I’ll reveal my favorite players for this year’s draft (ooooh, I bet you can’t wait!). I may even make up a 7 RD Mock of who I’d like us to take, but don’t count on it. I saw some chatter that we will do a LIVE Mock Draft here this evening at 8PM EST. I encourage you all to participate, the more people in the better it will be. I know we’ll do RD 1, and if you all are enthusiastic enough to keep it going, maybe we’ll do RD 2 and more. So if you can make it, tonight at 8PM EST. LIVE Mock Draft!

Image result for miami dolphins 2019 schedule

1,617 Responses to Miami Dolphins 2019 Schedule – All the details

LOL @ D being fluent in Python.

Naples – OK, glad that was cleared up – Hope to see you at the Fest good sir!

ER – Any shot if you’re not in Ireland that you can make it to the Fest?

ElephantRider says:
    April 18, 2019 at 4:24 pm
    Mike E
    I thought Canada time was something like 10 years behind. I know we are about 7.5 years behind here so…..
    Or maybe that’s just for music and fashion?
    ______________
    LOL, I was going to post something like this earlier, but considering Toba and I are embroiled in a vicious, take no prisoners donnybrook over supremacy in the Central West, I didn’t want to add fuel to the fire…

April 18, 2019 at 5:11 pm
    I didn’t realize you could have a lovely cool. LOL
    ———
    Tim — you have never met the most beautiful, smart and sassy women who actually show up at the Fest with the ugly M-fer knuckleheads you know on this board. Maybe just fool’s luck.

How bout you Kongaroo? lol Can you make it to this Fest?

Lol, highly unlikely, Mike. I can’t even get my clan together to meet with Doggy, and he’s in the same state as me. Although…I was somehow able to get the wife and I away to Hawaii. Maybe I can sell a trip to Miami as a similar scenario…leave the kid at home, get away to a tropical paradise. Hmmm… (insert scratching chin and thinking emoji here)

Although, that didn’t stop me from voting. I chose the Redskins on Doggy’s behalf.

At least get together with the Doggy and ask for a private concert. Fest is 3-days and the first one is all him. Dude has mad skills.

Just found this perfect descriptor of what eating at Taco Bell does to my digestive system

Doggy, you’ve got a gig at the fest, gotta get those chops going. 😉

9. ElephantRider says:

Once I find out exactly when the trip is I’ll know for sure. If it’s at all possible, I’m coming this year.

That’s a lot of traveling for you. You’re a trooper if you pull that off.

• ElephantRider says:

We’ll see! I have feeling they are same week tho….

ER — just happy you are so in to be thinking about it. Would be great to see you. And those flights from the UK fly into Miami too. Not such a bad spot to set up for a few days.

Stanger, yes but then he has to fly back to Wisconsin. Their restaurant will be closed for another week. LOL

• ElephantRider says:

You don’t know how right you are Tim. LOL….. but really crying!

Tim – I’d love to see you and Doggy playing together (guitars) before someone jumps all over that. That would be great man.

That would be awesome. Have you seen Tim play? If he shows up still gonna have to be Mrs. Dog on the tamborine though.

No, I’ve heard some of his stuff though. Boy is talented.

Lets make it happen! Not like will buy his plane ticket…. but will his game one. And not like a tough crowd. Only problem is you oversinging the instrumentals. 🙂

LOL @ D!

He has spoken. LOL

• ElephantRider says:

Really by round 6 the talent gets limited? Wow!

LOL

Just like the 1st round never has 32 1st round grades neither does a draft equate to value with the last 7th rd pick. But teams have to make those picks. There comes a time when teams’ draft boards dry up and they’re in UDFA territory.

Omar has no idea where it dries up other than piggy backing a scouting service. He’s not a scout. LOL

Thanks for the props, Mike. Interesting discussion Doggy and I had when we spoke. I’ll let him share if he’d like to.

—————
    Just WOW! And he misses the most obvious, glaring fact there is: this draft is DEEP with EDGE players up top. SMH!

Don’t need a beer, I have one. 🙂

All good! I wanted to chime in with my own response, Brother. I don’t follow Omar, so after seeing your post, I just copied and pasted Omar’s twat down here. 🙂

Some tidbits from these early camps are:
    Charles Harris working with the DBs to understand route concepts and footwork for coverage.
    Davon Godchaux saying we’ll be the most conditioned team in the league, we’re going to run a lot.

16. naplesfan2010 says:

If we can convert Harris from a small weak DE to a huge ass kicking LB, we might have a pro bowler there.

My ears were ringing

Could be from the GOAL LIGHT behind Binnington 🤡

Wow, 12 seconds. Blues down 2-0, now heading full throttle into their annual post season collapse.

Redskins game falls on sunday of our Thanksgiving weekend so would save me 1 days holiday booking … always liked Chargers though ….. I can roll with majority though ..

Okay 2nd period is always our worst.. let’s power through it

22. Krishna says:

Wow…first one to vote and not counted.

I think Charles Harris is being groomed to be a hybrid EDGE player under this new leadership. Methinks we’ll be seeing him lining up often as a LB in our new Defense. And I do think that’s a very good idea, to get the most out of him.

The biggest difference in scheme on defense this year from last year is we’re not a base 4-3/wide 9. Multiple means multiple.

Burke seemed overmatched and confused more often than not .. which carried over to the players ..

27. Krishna says:

What’s to explain mf13ss…stanger put up the schedule and I voted for the chargers game (1st vote unless it was edited) and wasn’t included in the count…no worries….always gone my own way. As a CPA, 0ctober 15 is the last day to file tax returns….2nd worst time of the year for me.

Krishna — unlike when I do the list for who is coming, way to vote is via the poll in the top right section. No one is keep track other than that. Just wanted to make sure you caught that. Sorry the timing on the Skins game is not good for you, We’ve learned over the years that people do prefer in October though….. think cause the cold weather folks are actually escaping cold weather at that point.

28. Krishna says:

We’ll figure it out or try again next year.

Do you guys like

Krishna: the way I read things they were having some issues with getting it to stick .. we’ve met you and the missus and quite sure your opinion and attendance are as honoured as anyone else’s …..

Krishna

There are 3 votes for chargers game

So maybe you are one of these votes?

32. Krishna says:

No offense but I see changing votes for a pup who has never blogged..and a dog who has mad skills I missed by a day and would love to witness.

PUT ME DOWN FOR THE REDSKINS GAME!! –It’s more than twice as likely that a major hurricane will hit south Florida in September compared to October. Plus, October is slightly cooler.
    ————-
    Four of Miami’s first 5 games ARE AT HOME WHEN, LITERALLY, THE HEAT IS ON!! The Fins started last year winning 3 of 4. Another fast start would be GREAT! –Headed to Orlando for most of the weekend.

Tim I agree I would much prefer to have our Throwbacks become regular game day jerseys .. I would likely buy one of the above though if they came to be .. just sauté of how Unique it would be

35. ElephantRider says:

Toba

My gut says I’ll be in Ireland that weekend because the 10th stands out to me. I’ll know for sure later tonight when wife answers me. LOL

If I cant make the fest I’m looking at Indy or Cleveland to go to. Wish it was a last year, could have gotten $1 tickets to Cleveland. LOL

Krishna says:
    April 18, 2019 at 10:05 pm
    —————
    Oh, I understand now. I thought you may have been talking about the mock draft we did last night… my bad, bud.

And yes… I can appreciate your situation what with 10/15.

TIM: LIKED your comments about the throwbacks becoming the regular jerseys. I’m SURE the Pats would LOVE to see those throwbacks in week#2 in Miami.

I’m still not really sure of what they mean by being multiple. But, as I said before, it likely means we will need guys to be able to play multiple roles. You can’t be constantly switching players to run different schemes, so guys have to be able to move around and play different roles without substituting. It also allows you to disguise what you’re doing. NE did a really good job in the SB of disguising their rush packages. You can only do that when multiple guys can move around to different spots. On the backend, it allows to to get more favorable matchups if you have guys who can be fluid.
    ***
    The down side will most likely be that this sort of things takes time to coach and develop. And, you’re very reliant on guys being smart and having a multitude of skills. Look for guys who are kinda good at everything rather than guys who are just really good at one thing.

I heard Kraft changed the team name to the Paidfortits this week

new game

Wow this is gonna be interesting

OY

AAARRGGHHH.

nice last 7 Mins Cav Road team has won all 5 games

I’d rather just stay in Winnipeg for game 6.
      I’m surprised we came back to win that game. I truly thought you were going to skate us out of the building tonight.

9 of our 13 goals have come in the 3rd period, smh.

46. ElephantRider says:

It’s confirmed. I will be in Ireland for the fest. Boo

Grier says he wants to move down however if a player like tunsil or minkah who was projected to go earlier than drafted slides to 13 he will take him.

well this almost seems certain as there may be 3 qbs taken before miami picks, there may also be some dumb selections taken ahead of us as well, so i would expect a top 10 guy to fall to 13.

i really think Kalen Ballage will be our featured RB next year

Krishna – I love ya man, but wow, no one is editing or changing votes. I’m truly sorry you won’t be able to make it IF the game is the Redskins game, but the Fests are regularly in October, so this is nothing new. I hope you can make it anyway, somehow swing it, or if not hopefully next year. The voting is not closed or decided as of yet in any case, so hang in there

• ocalarob says:

whatever you do don’t change my post saying Drake will be the featured RB!

Feel free to disregard my vote. Part of the reason I announced it was so ya’ll can choose to disregard it as I won’t be attending. I have always figured if the voting was close enough, all the attendees would figure it out behind the scenes anyway.

Mike E — Krishna was for the Bolts game tight after the schedule came out and later saw reports on the Fest poll on the board without a vote for the Chargers. Think he missed the Fest poll was up.

LOL Rob – I promise

I wonder who will drop this year?

You got to admit the Football gods have smiled at the Dolphins on draft day the last 2 years!

The Football Gods owe us

As far as I’m concerned there is a significant debt they have left to pay

Unless it’s Haskins, I agree!

April 18, 2019 at 7:28 pm

LOL

————————————————–
    I have seen draft where they have had legitimately guys who would go in the first round in other drafts pushed down into the second just because the first talent round is that heavy. Its hard though to say what constitutes a first round grade on a player when you scale prospects. Do you against same year applicants? If so you are setting the curve to nver include more than a certain number of players in the elite discussion. Are you scaling against historical data, if so you elongate the curve and id say that most drafts would have close to if not more than 32 first round grades.Do you scale only against a certain number of draft years to isolate to more relevant data? Then you have to know whats the correct sample size to have relevant data.

If we are talking about a scale that just evals the players and anyone above say a 6 (which i think most of the scales i have seen have them on either 100 point evaluation or 0-8 and fractional measurements between them) is elite enough to call a 1st rounder. Then i think there have definitely been year that i could say there have been 32 above a 6, as long as there was no scaling involved. Also is 6 the value you use, is it 6.5, what value sets elite. If its 7 i feel like some years have had none and very few years have had more than 2-3.

Lastly, are we evaling them as what they SEEM like from a scouting perspective, or what they turned out to be in the NFL. If its the former, then we have no ability to set the number of first round prospects in any draft because we are not formally trained on how to score the prospects, and if its the latter thn we cant eval them until we have had a certain span of time in their NFL career to score them. At that point you have to ask your self how long do you have to give them to do the scoring and is it even relevant any more.

What im getting at is there is no data hat determines if a player has a first round grade or not other than 32 teams desire to select that player and use their first round pick to do so. That inherently makes them have a first round grade. If a team trades back instead of selecting one, then they felt like all the players available had a lower grade than their selection, or at least were not as valuable as what they were getting in return for the trade. Simple as that. If they felt like they were they selected. If the felt like they were worth more, maybe they traded up to select them. We cant second guess these evaluation, and we cant determine if its best for us to trade back or up or stay put. We especially cant do that a year, a month or a day before the actual point we are making the selection and we even know whats available.

Just going by what I’ve heard over the years in post draft discussions. Not saying I know what the grades are or that I’ve determined what grades prospects should have. There’s no way I could do that.

Incidentally we all know Omar is no talent keen eye for talent evaluation, and to be honest part of it isnt even his football knowledge, though he has shown that to lack as well. His problems is he cant keep bias out of his evaluation. He cannot just talent at the position, x’s and o’s look at a player to determine if they could help the team without throwing in if he likes the guy or not. Due to that fact by itself you cannot take any evaluation he has and treat it as if it can be trusted.

This draft is going to be a pretty shocking one i think fr most people. Im sure some of us are going to have happen to what we think, but a lot of us will be pretty surprised, though not disappointed.

I can easily see any number of scenarios happening on draft day and if you look to what the people here think and the talking heads think, you will see how unpredictable our selection is. I kind of like it, it definitely builds the suspense for the selection for me. Its also comforting that they could go in so many different directions and not upset me.

Krishna – Stanger just explained to me that you may have stated you wanted the Chargers before we put the poll up. Please vote for the Chargers game in the poll on the right side of the screen, right under the schedule.

Thanks!

This is weird.

Sounds like click baiting!

Probably finished the board!

Haven’t been home for awhile?

Well the actual scouting part should be done. And not like if they have a Q about whatever guy they don’t know how to contact the guy who scouted him. Maybe more like the top guys are “we got it from here.”

Awww screw it! 😦

When we have an employee we are letting go, ie he isnt resigning voluntarily, we remove them and remove their security immediately because of the access they have to things that a lot of damage could be done to. Leaving a potentially disgruntled person to their own devices with that kind of access is really dangerous. I dont blame them if they already knew they were losing their jobs not to clear the room.

Yep — If the guys know or even suspect they are getting axed….. definitely a way where some might try to find a new job. Just like a waiver wire pick-up by a team from it’s next opponent.

I think Jaylon Ferguson could be a guy we see go higher than expected. His film isn’t great, but he just looks like a guy who could take off with good coaching. He also has the ability to move around. He’s the kind of guy NE takes and turns into a stud.

I think he is a late first to early second type prospect and i havent really thought any different of him through the process. I think his combine wasnt quite what everyone thought it would be but his tape has never looked bad to me.

I dont put a ton of value in the underwear olympics. I think thats for ooohing and ahhhhing and maybe for breaking a tiebreaker but the decision is made from the scouting and game film.

Well and interviews.

D,
    I didn’t think he did the combine? I’m just going off the film I’ve watched. It didn’t impress or wow me. But, you can see that he might get better with better technique and coaching. I initially thought he was a second round guy, but I think he could end up going mid to late first….hence my comments.

You are correct, i remember seeing something about combine hurting him, i guess what i saw was his combine dis-invite hurt him.

D, remember when we were discussing Ed Oliver and his 40 time at the combine but then you pointed out he didn’t run at the combine. It was Quinnen Williams running a 4.83 that I was thinking of.

I can go to any of the dates for the Fest. The Washington game happens to fall right on my birthday. I’m just glad the bi week fell when it did because we have a wedding that weekend, the last of daughters group of friends, a real sweet kid but I would have missed it for the Fest.

Would you trade our #13 for him? Then we’d have to pay him but he’ll be just 26 in June.

No – we need youth when we rebuild

He’ll be only 26 in June. I’m not saying I’d do it either but just throwing it out there because not much other news out there.

I like Clark, but I’d pass

Iffy on that, he’s good, he will fit the multiple scheme, i think he’s a building block to build around but if i’m taking the bigger cap hit to get him, i dont want to also give up premium draft capitol. Maybe a swap of firsts.

I could do Frank Clark and our 13 for their 21 straight up of Clark for Jones and one of our 2020 4ths

I agree with D’s sentiments. Too much to give up the 1st RD pick and then pay him the big bucks. That’s just too much. As it is, if he was a FA, we probably wouldn’t have picked him up and paid him a huge salary, so why do it and also surrender your 1st RD pick? That’s too much

Have to also consider now you have to try to get him re-signed for the future because i think he was only FT’d right? So you have this one year rental which is already expensive, and you have to now get him signed to an extension, which is probably going to be even more expensive now that some of these new huge contracts got done.

LOL i think im convincing myself that the swap of 1st is even too much lol.

You’d have to sign him to a long term deal. The only reason I brought it up is because he seems to be a fit for what we want on defense and he’d play 4 seasons before he’s even 30.

I hear it’s the Giants

The kid is a good prospect, i think people are pooping on him because he played at a basketball school and not one noted for great football. He and Lock are my two favorites still, and i think one just represents more upper end ability with a little more risk and he other is more safe bet without the cannon. Thats not to say Jones doesnt have a good arm, he just doesnt have Lock’s arm.

73. Krishna says:

Morning after, 4 months no weekends off until this one, day of peer review after, excitement for possible back to back Dolphins game from Dallas to Miami with beach in the middle, and TOO much alcohol all hit me last night.

Many apologies to everyone on the blog and especially phindog. Whatever, the vote will be, will be. Hope it’s the Chargers, though!

Why not make your plans to see the Chargers game to have your plan and there are a bunch of guys that live in the area that might like to make it a mini-fest with you and yours?

Krishna — great apology, but understandable misunderstanding. Is an historic moment for the board though….. you are the very first person to ever post after a couple of drinks. 🙂

If turns out the Skins game and you choose to still do the Chargers, let me know. We can do dinner.

• Krishna says:

Thanks Stanger….I voted properly now.

And, if we do go to Miami sans the fest, dinner would be on us and most welcome at the Rustic Inn Crabshack….Mrs. K had the best softshell crab last time we were there.

You are kind man Krishna….. but if comes to it might get in a fist fight over the check. And my wife really did like Mrs. K. In the debrief after made that really clear, but then long ago learned can’t commit her to anything either.

• Krishna says:

No fight over the check, but if we pick the place just thought it’s the right thing to do.

She still talks about that crab….

And, still talks about all the wives she met and how she couldn’t believe how nice they all were……I guess major disconnect from stories I tell her from the blog. Thinks we’re all a little touched. 😉

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 18 (MINN): Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson (A)
    Round 2 Pick 15 (CAR): Jeffery Simmons, DT, Miss. State (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 16: Elgton Jenkins, OG/C, Miss. State (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 18 (MINN): David Edwards, OT, Wisconsin (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 14: Ross Pierschbacher, OG, Alabama (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Tyree Jackson, QB, Buffalo (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 19: Jamal Davis II, DE, Akron (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 20: Dontavius Russell, DT, Auburn (A+)

Uh oh! Jacob deGrom heading back to NY to have an MRI on his elbow. Sigh….

April 19, 2019 at 4:08 pm

—————————————————–
    I agree with your thoughts on it, and im not shitting on your idea as much as i would tweak the costs of it. Its something worth pursuing but at a better negotiated cost.

For exmple, lets say your the Hawks, and you said hey i cor Frank Clark im willing to trade, im looking for a 1st for him. I come back to you and say, well im going to be having to extend him, if he is open to do that, so im taking that risk, and im eating a pretty hefty cap hit just making the trade. How about a swap of our first round picks, instead. You get to move up to 13 we drop down to 21 and we get Frank in trade. Would you walk away or would you take that deal?

I’d draft a kid instead of trading for Clark. Much, much cheaper. Now is not the time to get high priced FAs.

Makes sense I just threw it out there on a slow news day. But he’s still young enough to be part of the team when we’re ready to contend. That’s the only reason I even posted it.

The Jets game would be the game to go to….Adam Gase return…the stink’n Jets….east rivalry…Redskins game just doesn’t have the appeal.

I sure hope we trade down, #13 is an unlucky number

Yep, I gotcha. It makes some sense.

82. Phindog says:

Krishna,
    You and Mrs. K are good people. No need to apologize my friend. My wife had a great time talking with you both as well as I did. Hope to see you again soon. And as Stanger said you must be the first one here to post while tired and having a few cocktails 😎👍🐕

Don’t know what you guys mean

I’ve never posted after a few drinks

🐖💨

LOL — but the pics on the Slatterys website are priceless.

• Phindog says:

That right there is funny as hell !!

The first time I met Piggy was at I think a bar in NYC called the Landmark, it was the first NE fest in 2010. He took off his shirt wearing a Dolphins jersey underneath and proceeded to pose for a pic with a buffalo chicken wing on each shoulder as The Flying Pig. LOL

84. Krishna says:

Oh my god…..thus the disconnect that any of us even deserve awesome wives.

• Phindog says:

I’ve had mine for 33 human years but I can lick my eyebrows 😁

Krishna — our youngest dog throws up all the time, pisses on the carpet, barks like crazy at nothing, pseudo attacks delivery folks (they don’t like at all), and is many other times a pain in the ass. But she is a cute and loving pup…..and my wife loves her like anything. Figure why we are still married, except for the cute part. 🙂

• Krishna says:

Mrs. K is the only person who has put up with me for 20 years, let alone married for over 15. Why she loves a lone wolf is beyond me.

86. phinpup says:

Hey! Im blogging!

Half of me says there’s no way we could be fortunate enough to have Jonah Williams fall to us @ R1P13. The other half of me says it’s a REAL possibility, when looking at the many ways the Draft could pan out for us.

I’m not sure we could pass on him if he fell to us… even for an EDGE player.

I’d rather have Taylor.

It’s possible we are going to have to choose between a Good DE and Williams!
      Ferrell, Sweat, or Gary?????
      Not to mention Wilkins!

I’m glad I don’t have to make that choice!

Welcome aboard phinpup

Son,

Between Jonah Williams and Clelin Ferrell (if both are available for us)… who would YOU take? I think I know the answer, but I’m not sure.

Just say no to Oline

I don’t care what they do but it just feels like underwear. Everyone else gets shiny toys and we get underwear

Na I’d go Williams this time!!!!!!!!!!

wyoming85 says:
    April 19, 2019 at 10:36 pm
    I’d rather have Taylor.

It’s possible we are going to have to choose between a Good DE and Williams!
    Ferrell, Sweat, or Gary?????
    Not to mention Wilkins!

I’m glad I don’t have to make that choice!
    ————-
    I hear ya! And with that stated, it gives us every reason to take the BPA @ R1P13… or, just to play devil’s advocate… we could probably trade down a few spots and still land a stud.

I’d just go with BPA @ R1P13 and call it a day on Day 1… too risky to mess it up in a trade down, but I’m UBER-conservative this year what with the rebuild.

Many, many other years I’ve called for a trade down… I don’t think this is the year, only due to our rebuild. Get the best player we can get.

wyoming85 says:
    April 19, 2019 at 10:48 pm
    Now if we would have signed James?
    SMH
    ————-
    And I hear ya on that, but I think James priced himself out of reality. Can’t blame the player for wanting to get paid, but I feel he’s getting overpaid by the Broncos. Still… it SUCKS!

I think there is a good chance we trade down unless one of the big boys slide down!

And I consider Williams one of the can’t pass-ups

Lock being there @13 would probably be our ticket to an extra pick or 2?

Unless the front office likes him for us???????

I don’t see us drafting Lock, but that’s just me and my $.02. But yeah… he could possibly be a key to landing a great trade in return.

Wyoming,

IF Jonah Williams is available to us @ R1P13 and we select him, who would be YOUR pick @ R2P16, man?

Zack Allen / LJ Collier or one of the DT’s that slide out of the first.
      DreMont Jones (DT) Ohio St.
      Jerry Tillery (DT) Notre Dame

Could be Elgton Jenkins, OG/C, Miss. State?

But my preference would be the best DE over any after landing Williams

My Dream would be Jaylon Ferguson (DE) Louisiana Tech

Agreed on Jaylon Ferguson being the dream @ R2P16; I think that would be GREAT! But I doubt he lasts that long… let’s HOPE!

IMO? If we go Jonah Williams @ R1P13, I’m looking HARD CORE at an EDGE player @ R2P16… I think we need one, badly. Perhaps Chase Winovich?

If Jawaan Taylor is there for us and I don’t think he will be, I think we take him. I think we want to build a team that can run the ball when it wants to and has to. He would help in that vision. Tunsil and Taylor would quality cornerstones at tackle for both run and pass. You don’t have to pay him $50M and I think he’s better than James.

MF13
    Ya I don’t know how I left him off the list?
    But Chase is definitely in play at R2P16

Taylor or Williams in the 1st and Winovich in the 2nd – I’d be a very happy fan. I know it’s the hair, but he plays like Clay Matthews. LOL

There’s still gonna be some descent edge guys in the 3rd too!
    Anthony Nelson (DE) Iowa
    Ben Banogu (DE) TCU
    Austin Bryant (DE) Clemson
    Isaiah Buggs (DE/DT) Alabama

I like Buggs… he’d be a very good decision. And don’t sleep on Kingsley Keke, either.

Nelson will be good!
        Buggs is growing on me!
        If we were going 3-4 I’d push him up to the second!

Keke as a DT, not as a DE… but then again, we’ll be switching people around all the time. Keke would be a KILLER DE in run-sits.

Welcome phinpup to this collection of senior types who…. let’s say have our moments. LOL

Gotta run. Peace to Wyoming and Tim!

Night all!
    May all your QB dreams be prolific! 😉

Pup what’s up! Look at you blogging on dad’s site!

Krishna – Don’t sweat it man, no apology necessary. You and your lovely wife just be happy healthy and that’s good for me.

Just back from Passover Seder and too much of this stuff . . .

Goodnight Pup – I need to get some zzzzzz’s, I have to be at work at 8 AM. See ya at the Fest!

April 19, 2019 at 11:10 pm (Edit)
    ***************************
    Yuck! If we draft an OL at #13 I’m going to be very upset. It better either be a DT, DE or QB. It will disgust me to see us throw away another 1st RD pick an the O-line.

We can get one of those difficult name to pronounce guys too, like Yodny Cajuste, probably 3rd RD.

Welcome Phinpup

112. good morning guys, my buddy asked me an interesting question. what should Miami do if Haskins falls to 13?

i said We should go for it, we need a QB , and have only drafted one first round QB since 1983.
    matter of fact, we should pick QB several years in a row if need be, and trade the ones we dont want

Dilohins have had one first round qb picked over the last 36 years? thats why we dont have a franchise QB<
    we rarely try for it

We should make a mad dash and get our card in with Haskins name on it and then thank the Football Gods for allowing him to fall to us.

If Haskins is there at 13 it is a no brainer

I would have to take Haskins!

But man someone would probably give up 3 picks for that!!!

Google dilohins and see what comes up. lol

T-minus 5 days, 10 hours

118. Jaylon Ferguson probably won’t be such a behind the LOS defensive star in the NFL.

Watching his highlights , he benefitted greatly because of piss poor blocking, the NFL has much better blockers. He looks great making plays at the NCAA level, but look closer and You will see QB holding the ball too long, poor blocking, etc.

He also clocked a slow time on the cone drill at the combine, for an edge rusher, that means he doesn’t have the Cam Wake bend like We would want to see in an edge rusher, and his cutbacks aren’t as quick as a top edge rusher should be.

This is why evaluations are tough, I see Ferguson all over QB,s. And tackling for losses,

but in the NCAA, not the NFL

I realize it’s a transition for everyone, the NFL is a much tougher playing field. But some make it, others don’t, and I think Ferguson will be a decent NFL player, but not a great one

Buyer beware on him, he’s not a first rounder imo

It’s 6 days 10 hours for that shiny new OL guys

We aren’t taking OL until day 2

Believe….

121. I’m still thinking Fitzpatrick won’t benefit from a first round OL.

He can throw interceptions with or without one, better blocking would only mean he has more time to pick out his interception targets, lol

But a first round QB, could be fine behind a second round OL, besides, We already have a first round OL, Tunsil.

While we could certainly use a first round pick at almost every position, QB remains our biggest need at this point

🙂

• Interesting , 33 to watch? That’s deep!

That means there should be plenty to pick from in the second round,

There are only 32 picks in the first round, and they won’t all be OL, probably 5-7.

we could get a top ten OL in the second round, there isn’t a pressing need to pick OL in the first

Phinpup was in the House. You’d think one weekend a year hanging with the old farts would be enough. 🙂

124. Welcome phinpup, You are way cooler than Your father, lol.

Jk phindog😎

Only 6 OT’s are projected starters!
    You better get one now that we don’t have a RT!

I don’t like it either!

But there are DE’s to be had later!

And DT all through the draft!

Like I said I REALLY wish we had kept James!

But that’s were we are at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

126. My son isn’t really into the Fins like I am.
    He will watch a game with Me sometimes, but mainly for the food and beer. Lol
    Millennials march to their own beat, he’s a computer nerd

Offensive Tackles
    Franchise left / right tackles
    1. Jonah Williams, Alabama

2. Dalton Risner, Kansas State

3. Jawaan Taylor, Florida

4. Andre Dillard, Washington State

I’ve firmly been on-board the Jonah Williams train for a long time now — along with basically everyone else. His lack of traditional size and length for the tackle position doesn’t worry me, because he’s so fundamentally sound with all of his position-specific movements. He’s plenty quick in his kick slide, fires his hands at the perfect time on almost every snap, keeps his feet moving once he locks on and is deceptively powerful. He’s an efficient bull dozer as a run blocker too. The only hiccup I’ve noticed with him is “oversetting” to the outside which can leave him susceptible to an explosive inside move.

Risner is kinda/sorta the “lite” version of Williams. Experienced. Mobile. Mean streak. Fundamentals. His anchoring strength isn’t as impressive. Same goes for his athleticism. Taylor, another right tackle, is a dancing panda with immense width, unreal power, and light feet for being 325-plus pounds. His hands get outside in some occasions, but he has the athleticism to recover and never stops his feet.

Dillard is a ridiculous pass protector. He’s seemingly never stressed against speed, and his ability to sit down and anchor against bull rushes is significantly better than many other technicians from Washington State in the Mike Leach era. He reminds me of Terron Armstead. High praise.

Solid starters
    5. Greg Little, Ole Miss

6. Yodny Cajuste, West Virginia

• If We already had a Dan Marino on the roster, I’d say YES, get one of these guys in the first.

But Marino is in the HOF, he doesn’t need blocking anymore, lol

I’m really hoping we get our franchise QB prospect this year, but who knows what the FO will do

128. I do find it dissapointing most millennials don’t have cars or own houses.

They seem content with UBer or parents to drive them around, and stay with us instead of go make a family., buy a home, etc.

Times are changing,,,,sigh. My son says it’s because they can’t afford those things.

But these aren’t easy to afford for anyone! but we work hard, and smart, , and borrow , steal, pillage what We need, lol.
    Chickens coming home to roost maybe? my parents didn’t understand Me either

Most kids these days spend more on internet access than we spent on our first houses!

400$ phones
    200$ to 300$ a month on data plans

ETC

“kids these days” has been going on since some older caveman complained about his son putting too many logs on the fire. My Dad use to biotch about me not turning the lights off when left my bedroom. “If you are going to be gone for more than 20 minutes you turn it off.” He actually had a calculation for how much electricity it takes to turn them on again.

I wasn’t complaining!
        I actually laugh at mine for his priority’s

Just the expression on his face when I tell him that if he gave up his phone he could drive a brand new car, is priceless!

! pick vs multiple picks? when trading back the team that trades back usually gets the better deal.

at this point no player is worth taking at 13 vs trading back for future consideration, i would like to see us trade back and also land a 2020 early pick in the deal.

we need picks, lots of great talent to be had in the latter rounds.

I’m right with you on that ORob unless we have a serious talent faller or a QB. The more cheap contracts the better. And another high first pick busting would set us back.

you eyeball certain players and some of those players you eyeball may be there in the 20s and it wont be a big drop off from the knock down dead talent you could get at 13.

If Haskins is there at 13 there will be teams begging to trade with you to get him, a good QB drives the value of that #13 thru the roof. trade back

133. He says the millennials want to vote for Bernie, he’s promising government funded health care and education.

I’m not against health care and education, lol. These are very important issues, but I do wonder why no one ever even tries to balance the budget?

I’m certainly not against taxpayers getting representation, but when is the last time We had a balanced budget? Is debt spending substainable forever?

Clinton claimed a balanced budget, but I’m not believing it, he took the social security funds and counted it differently, smoke and mirrors, not balanced budget.

We haven’t had a balanced budget in almost a half century, and no one is doing anything about it, except adding to it faster and faster.

Im not advocating or rejecting Bernie, I suppose his plans are possible if they were part of a sensible budget. And I see tons of areas we could cut back, but for a different day.

Im not trying to get political, but financial.

this is a financial problem thats gone on for decades.

when do we become financially responsible?
    If the plan is never, how long can we substain irresponsible spending? Only one way to find out, smh

we are not ready for our franchise QB yet, no need to select Haskins as we will not be contending for 3 years, no need to waste that rookie contract for that long.

pick a QB in the mid to late rounds…Stidham…mischew….keep doing that until you get it right or 3 years down the road go for the number1 guy.

right now is not the time to spend that pick on a franchise QB, by the time we get good we will be paying him 40 mil a year, if we wait we can allocate that money elsewhere.

135. Imagine if We ran our families finances like the government, lol

Sorry wifey, we spent too much money on stupid shit, and lost the house and cars, but I mortgaged the kids off and bought an even bigger house, lol

My list of Take / don’t trade down
    Dwayne Haskins Soph Ohio St. QB
    Ed Oliver Jr Houston DT
    Jawaan Taylor Jr Florida OT
    Jonah Williams Jr Alabama OT
    Josh Allen Sr Kentucky OLB
    Nick Bosa Jr Ohio St. DE
    Quinnen Williams Soph Alabama DT

137. Dexter Lawrence DT Clemson is the thirteenth highest rated prospect in the draft, according to cbs sports

138. I think Dexter Lawrence could be a great player for us, He is 6′ 4″ , 340, and very athletic for such a big guy

Mike, I was just saying what I think we’d do if Taylor or Williams were the best players on the board and the defensive guys and QBs we like are gone.

I think (hope and pray) that scenario is very unlikely. There are enough good defenders and QB’s to make that not an issue

David, our new DL coach Marion Hobby coached all the Clemson DL in this draft so he’ll have good insight for our staff on all of them.

For the record Mike, I would prefer a defensive player.

Would you trade our 2nd rd pick for Rosen?

if Rosen was in the draft this year, he would be a first rounder

Yeah he went #10 last year. I know he struggled as a rookie but he was also on a bad team as we know, they’re selecting #1 this year. But he also showed some good things as well. He has talent. Concerns with Rosen are attitude and durability. I think his attitude is a little overblown. Durability is the bigger concern.

” the Giants aren’t willing to give up either of their first-round picks, “don’t seem inclined to trade” their second-round pick, and don’t think their third-round pick would get the job done.” And reports before where that someone had offered a 2nd for Rosen. And based on the list of teams interested was probably the one with the lowest one (which was the Pats). Given where the Giants pick…. sounds like our 2nd would get it done.

Larry F on Rosen below. Yeah he is a real good guy, but don’t think he’d make stuff up either.
    ——————–
    “As soon as he stepped on campus, he was pretty mature as a man. He’s got a wide array of interests. He’s really intellectually curious. Just overall a fun guy to be around. Football-wise, he’s got some experience, got a couple of games under his belt, and every single week he’s progressing in the right direction with the reads and accuracy and just his knowledge of the system. He’s only going to continue to get better.”

“We’ve been decimated on the offensive line, so it’s been a struggle for him in that. Besides that, he’s been playing outstanding.”

“Fitzgerald went on to say Rosen has ‘unbelievable arm strength” and can make “tight contested throws under duress.'”

Full: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/larry-fitzgerald-offers-reasons-to-be-optimistic-about-josh-rosens-future-with-cardinals/

Oh, I think even Larry would embellish things a little in order to get his team a better pick. Why wouldn’t he?

143. Walter football mock Has us selecting a guard in the fourth round to address it,

because Miami has the worst OL in the league, and can’t wait until the fifth round to select an ol,

Lmao huh

144. Krishna says:

Got tickets for first ever experience at Arlington, TX Stadium for the Miami v Dallas game. Got row 1–Mrs. K is going to love these. Her idea this year to go!!!!

M13’s 2nd 2019 Miami Dolphins’ Draft (to be finalized before the Draft)

R1P13: Jonah Williams, OL, Alabama, or Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson
    R2P16: Chase Winovich, DE, Michigan, or Michael Deiter, OG Wisconsin
    R3P14: Isaiah Buggs, DT/DE, Alabama, or Kingsley Keke, DT/DE, Texas A&M
    R4P14: Max Scharping, OT, NIU
    R5P13: Sutton Smith, OLB, NIU
    R7P19: Xavier Turner, RB, Tarleton State
    R7P20: Stephen Denmark, CB, Valdosta State

UDFA: Dominick Bragalone, RB, Lehigh (assist from Dbolt), Trace McSorley, QB, PSU, more to come…

146. Krishna says:

Not sure about an DL from Houston, second tier and smaller kids. I think you take a Power 5 DL in the first from a good team…..it’s next level baby.

Do like DL as 1st pick if BPA!!!

147. Krishna says:

DL is sexier pick than OL….I want sexier of the two, but would be fine with either if BPA.

148. Krishna says:

Nice draft mf13ss just based on Dolphins’ needs.

Thank ya, sir! I regrettably couldn’t find us a QB, but I firmly DO believe that we’ll be addressing as much early next year.

ORob,
    I’m not really tied in to having to take a QB this year or waiting. But, your idea of waiting to get a QB in 3 years when you’ve built a team ready to compete has issues. First, who says the QB you pick in 3 years will be the “right” one….and then what if he’s not? You’re behind your development even further. Second, most teams prefer to build around their starting QB. It impacts the sorts of players you bring in on offense because you want to fit guys to what your QB does well. Third, rookie QBs rarely come in and take teams deep in the playoffs. They start, but it still takes most guys at least 2-3 years to get up to speed. That means your rebuild has gone from a 2-3 year project to a minimum 4-5 year project.
    ***
    I think you gotta evaluate the QBs available in every draft….it doesn’t mean you have to take one. But, waiting and just assuming you’re able to….No. 1 get the guy you want 3 years from now and No. 2 he actually pans out….is a huge leap of faith. It sounds good but is far from a given. In 3 years we could possibly be looking at a 20ish pick too if we start winning. How do you go get a high end QB from there? It’s gonna cost you multiple high picks which, again, stunts your development as a team. Isn’t it better to get one when you’re in the top half of the first?

• ocalarob says:

I didn’t say wait to draft a QB, i said take one in the latter rounds to see if he pans out, Stidham for instance…..or the other guy…..continue doing that while building your team and then if you have to go get your guy like the clemson QB. blowing your load now on the first so called franchise guy that comes along will limit our ability to build this team due to the assets it takes to get him.
      I like Haskims, liked him since october but i don’t think we’re in a position to go for him but who knows????

150. Krishna says:

I think taking a QB in this year’s draft as a first rounder is Tannehill option 2.0. One year wonders…or on a great team.

Krishna,
    Ya know it’s funny because those of us who were against picking Tannehill because he wasn’t worth a first round pick….let alone a top 10 pick….were told by those who wanted him that you gotta take a chance when you draft QBs….and we had to make that pick because of our serious need at QB whether or not the value was there. Now, people are saying the exact opposite. Lol

The draftniks all had Tannehill in the 1st round and many of them top 10. No different than this year where some people are not as high on this year’s crop. I knew nothing about Tannehill in 2012 but he was in everyone’s mock drafts anywhere from top 10 to 20. So when we drafted him I was excited based on that alone.

• ocalarob says:

what if we just waited that year traded back and took Russel wilson? 1st rnd picks at QB is risky business.

152. Krishna says:

I’m not saying the opposite…..I questioned it from the beginning and I think I remember mf13ss questioning it to…..but we yielded to the professionals. I watched T-hill as an Aggie and questioned his skills back then…

• Krishna says:

questioning it too

• Krishna says:

He had a lot of WTF moments……this was after the huge Manziel fandom….which I thought would end in failure for him. I’m in Big 12 country, with a Longhorn and Aggie divide while being all-in on the SEC from Florida.

Meat and Taters!
    Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 13: Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida (A)
    Round 2 Pick 16: Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia (A)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Isaiah Buggs, DE/DT, Alabama (B+)
    Round 4 Pick 14: Ross Pierschbacher, OG, Alabama (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Greg Gaines, DT, Washington (A)
    Round 7 Pick 19: Jesse Burkett, C, Stanford (B)
    Round 7 Pick 20: Jamal Davis II, DE, Akron (A+)

Krishna says:
    April 20, 2019 at 4:16 pm
    I’m not saying the opposite…..I questioned it from the beginning and I think I remember mf13ss questioning it too…
    ————-
    I did, in fact, question it too. However, I too, yielded to the professionals… specifically Greg Cosell. I’ll never yield to the professionals again… I now trust my own judgments.

155. Krishna says:

The QB situation in this year’s draft seems similar to 2012 draft Tim noted above, to me.

Just so y’all know, and this is important: Max Scharping has played Right Tackle at NIU. Ya don’t just draft a Tackle for the sake of putting him on whichever side ya want. Muscle memory is important, and he’s a guy with experience at the RT (and even RG) position… and obviously, the LT position.

Thus, he’s a versatile O-Lineman… and his value should increase by teams who realize/desire as much.

David C (@DolphinsSB52) says:
    April 20, 2019 at 11:59 am
    Why the change of opinion on Haskins? You were high on him before
    _______________________________________________________

I like him best out of any QB in this draft, i just don’t think we’re ready to blow #13 on a QB, trade back…get more picks…put your franchise #1 QB on the back burner and draft one in the latter rounds, you never know who will be the next russel wilson or tom brady…
    if that doesn’t pan out then go get your guy and get 5 solid years of that guy on a rookie contract playing on a team with some talent instead of getting him now with all of our open festering wounds and wasting that rookie contract.

I think we should trade back for a 1st round pick in 2020, the value of that 1st round pick this year may be worth a late 2nd this year due to the fact that the team we’re trading with is most likely a good team and it will be a late 2020 1st rndr, so we swap with say houston for their number one this year and next, they need OL help and if one of those tackles are there it may be a good possibility, at that point next year we have 2 #1s

159. Krishna says:

1 year of building/retrenching the lines with mostly our existing skill positions ok, I think starts/lays a much better foundation. You build from the bottom up, not top down.

trading for next years picks is good business because a number 1 pick next year is not as valuable as a number one pick this year, when you do that you have equity to gain and all it cost is time…something we would seem to have plenty of at this point.

• Krishna says:

We have time, we have some good players, let’s fortify the foundation of ANY good football team.

• Krishna says:

lol…the foundation as it’s the basis of …….

• ocalarob says:

playing the devils advocate I get building the trenches however that’s what we have been doing for the last 20 year…Long…Odrick…Jerry…martin….suh…quinn…phillips..James…tunsil….deon jordan..dallas thomas….vernon..
        and that hasn’t seemed to work well.

maybe we should throw caution to the wind and go get Haskins

ORob, the approach wasn’t the problem the talent was. Football is not complicated. Nobody says being sound in the trenches isn’t important. You won’t win anything without it. Doesn’t matter who your QB is. See Dan Marino from 86-89.

161. Krishna says:

Brady stepped into a fine situation….I’ve never seen him run for his life, which is the only way to beat him.

Ryan Fitzpatrick…

Much maligned by most, though he’s never really played for a ‘good team’. Even in Tampa Bay, his O-Line was crude… although he had killer receivers.

If we adequately address the O-Line, I could see our Offense becoming a top-10 team this year under Ryan Fitzpatrick. We’re NOT TANKING, fellaz!

We have too many playmakers to tank. This team isn’t void of talent, it just doesn’t have enough key pieces to contend.

Agreed!

We could be tied in the 4th quarter 17-17 and multiple guys on our team could take one to the house to give us a 7 point lead. Some teams don’t have that option. We’re not lose every game bad.

There was plenty of conversation about Tanny bring raw and very inexperienced with 19 starts. As usual, he was pushed up in the draft being a QB, but it was not a concensus that he was a first found talent. Besides, the “experts” were obviously wrong, so it’s really no different than this year with, say, Haskins. Is he really a top 15 pick? Probably not, but it’s very likely he gets drafted there because of the importance placed on getting QBs.

I understand that. That’s basically what I was saying. LOL

Kyler Murray is not universally considered the #1 prospect on big boards. He’s universally considered to be the first prospect taken. There’s a difference. Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck were universally considered the #1 prospect in their collective drafts. Years before they were even eligible.

I’m not sold that last year’s QB crop and this year’s will all pan out. It doesn’t usually happen.

ORob,
    95% of the time taking a QB in the third or fourth rounds ends up giving you a backup. Picks like Russell are the exception not the rule. Taking a QB in those rounds are usually a wasted pick unless you’re looking for a backup.

I’d probably never draft a QB after the 2nd round. Your chances of getting a starter at the position are thin. Those picks can get you starters at other positions though. If you’re a perennial playoff contender, maybe you spend mid round picks on QBs. With where this team is, I’d rather use those picks to get substantial contributors at other spots….not a guy who will be holding a clipboard.
    ****
    I’m not saying this is what the team has to do. Just my thoughts on drafting QBs, which I think is just a different process than drafting other positions. I also doubt we’ll be in a position to actually draft one of the top 1-2 QBs available in 3 years without giving up a lot of picks to do it.

Understood. If finding a top QB was easy every team would have one.

Let’s say we go mid round for a QB this year as we focus on the trenches early. Fitzpatrick is a vet who give us competent QB play. Then we let Rudock, Falk and the rookie compete as the next guy up. Maybe one surprises as a guy you may want to look at as a potential starter, maybe they don’t but one of them is backup worthy. You go from there.

We don’t have to find the QB of the future this year. We do have to start building a solid football team.

Then Seattle would not Russell Wilson, New England wouldn’t have Tom Brady, Dallas would not have Dak Prescott. Drew Brees was a 2nd round pick, Kirk Cousins a 4th rounder. I believe you should always look at QBs even when you have one. I love mid round QB picks because they are guys you can develop and turn them into value. Hell Joe Montana was a 3rd round pick

Yeah, I agree. We don’t HAVE to find a starting QB this year. I just think that’s more easily done when you already have a high first round pick b/c that’s where the majority of them are found….not all…but most…and it costs less to move up. After next season, will we be picking in the top half of the first? Hard to say, but I hope not. I’d rather use one pick to get a guy than 3 or 4.
    ****
    I think it all comes down to how you view the QBs available. If folks don’t think the guys this year are good, they’re willing to wait. If you like, say, Haskins, you’re thinking take him. It’s the art of drafting….getting it right.

I think the 1st rd QB vs later rd QB while rebuilding argument has merit on both sides. Like anything else, it all depends on the player you end up getting in any given scenario.

If we’re sitting at 13 and pass on, let’s say Haskins, and Haskins turns out to be the next Marino, looking back we’ll have made a huge mistake not selecting him, especially if over the next 5 years we keep trying and missing on QBs. How many teams that passed on Marino in ’83 would have selected him if they had it to do over again? Same question for Rodgers. Not comparing Matt Ryan to Marino, but looking back I sure wish we’d taken Ryan over Long in ’08. We wouldn’t be having this QB conversation.

Conversely, if we pick Haskins, and he doesn’t pan out, then not only have we wasted the pick, but we’ll have likely wasted at least a couple of years on that pick, a la Tannehill.

IMO this whole QB thing is more of a crap shoot than anything else, and there is no right or wrong in these two scenarios. You can find plenty of instances of both approaches working and both approaches failing. I honestly think as fans we overthink these things sometimes. It simply comes down to the quality of the players you select.

If our FO can nail their player selections, we’re going to be ok, if not we’ll continue to wallow in mediocrity like we have for the past 15-20 years regardless of our approach.

Also, it really doesn’t matter which way we go with our 1st rd pick if we can’t hit on more 2-5 rd picks. You can’t rebuild a team with just 1st rd picks.

I would love to see us hit on a mid rd oline pick or two this year. We have wasted so many mid rd picks on oline that don’t pan out. Can we select a 2nd or 3rd rd T or G that turns out to be a stud just once this decade? lol

Oh, and hopefully this coach will know how to develop players instead of having talent sit on the bench until an injury forces the coach to play a guy that should have been getting playing time the whole time.

And lastly, let’s make the throwbacks the standard again.

Go Blues.

^

It’s about finding good/great players however you acquire them. At the end of the day nobody gives a shit how you found them.

The examples of QBs picked from the 3rd round on who failed is far greater than the exceptions who prevailed. The risk/reward is poor.

Of course but so are players at every position after the 3rd round. Right now you have Russell Wilson with a SB ring and Nick Foles with a SB ring, Dak Prescott as a playoff caliber QB and Kirk Cousins has been to the playoffs. That is 4 current starters who were 3rd rounder or late and all have been to the playoffs, oh and Brady. That’s 5 of 32 starters

The best case scenario is you land a mid round QB who turns out to be really good. That’s why in this case you use a numbers game as opposed to going all in for a top prospect. If the numbers game isn’t working but you have a good team, go all in when you have the chance. There are no guarantees that you become a championship team. You might just be pretty good and make the playoffs 5 out of 7 years but still not reach the pinnacle. 13 NFL teams have never won a Super Bowl.

The best thing as a sports fan is that your team has a chance more often than not. That’s all you can ask for.

Kong. We scored 12 secs in last game and lost … we have you right where we want ya !!!

Ken,
    Yeah, I get what you’re saying, but I just think the odds are against you. Dak and Cousins may be starters, but are they anything but mediocre players? I think your chances of getting better than average players in those rounds is better at other positions. I’m not gonna jump off a cliff if they draft a QB in the third round or anything though. Lol
    ***
    As Tim said, it’s about finding good players. If they can find a QB who can get us to the playoffs and a chance at winning a championship, I won’t give a damn if it was a third rounders.

Looking at the depth chart we have to take a QB at some point in this draft and I don’t think it is going to be in the first round

M13, the Vikings defense lead them to the NFC Championship game in 2017. They were #1 overall, 2nd rush, 2nd pass and 1st PA.

Keenum was efficient and didn’t fuck it up. Their run game also rushed for just under 2,000 yards. There’s a reason he doesn’t stick with any team for long. I know he’s a favorite of yours and all, but he is what he is. A bridge QB until you find someone better and he’s a quality backup.

I don’t doubt those facts, and I agree. But let’s not pretend that Keenum is chopped liver, either. No, he’s likely never going to be a top-10 QB… but he’s also a ‘steady Eddie’, who always gives a team a chance. I view Ryan Fitzpatrick in the same way.

I gave him props and didn’t call him anything below what he is. He’s a pro QB, not a top tier or franchise QB. That’s all. I agree that’s what Fitz is and now Tannehill. It kind of raps up the QB conversation that has gone on – 1st rd to UDFA and how you find them. 🙂

You’ve got it, buddy! 🙂

There’s many ways to skin a cat. My preference would be to get our QB in this draft and he doesn’t even have to play this season, just learn the offense and maybe at the end of the season get some playing time. In the meantime, if we’re near the top of the draft next season, so many teams will be looking for QB’s and we can really cash in on a trade back, get multiple picks and that will enable to really build our roster, with our QB already in place and ready to start right out of the chute in 2020

What a wonderful preference. LOL

That’s the thing — you can trade both a QB you take/sign or a high draft choice to someone else who wants one. We talk about trading guys on the roster so often these days….. they have value once on it.

173. Krishna says:

Back to the scouting department….is this Grier job’s now? You need to be good here!

Talent acquisition….not grasping, desperate efforts….Can we evaluate talent?

Our Goalie is only thing keeping us in this game , yet every time he goes behind the net play the puck , it’s like having Carpenter cone out for a FG… Cringe and hope ..

It’s pretty ugly right now. Only 6 shots on goal for the Jets after 2 periods. Still it was 2-0 going into the 3rd last game too…

• manitobafinfan says:

A good period and yes we could pull it out … I ain’t seeing signs of that though.. we look DONE

I still don’t understand why some feel that we NEED to draft a QB this year, bypassing better talent in a rebuilding season.

Now if Dwayne Haskins falls in our lap @ R1P13, that’s a different story. But I’m telling y’all, he WON’T!

That’s the ballgame… send Mikey yer PayPal address.

We’re good. You can buy me an extra beer when I get out to a fest. 🙂

• manitobafinfan says:

Congrats to you and the Blues .. great comeback story of the season .. good luck .. this time I mean it 👍🤡

Lol, cheers, bro. I like our chances against Colorado or Nashville. I hope Nashville takes out Dallas though. They had our number this year.

• manitobafinfan says:

Getting to the point where I cheer for mostly teams that have never won a cup.. I hate Toronto and Boston .. so Blues , Blue Jackets, Golden Knights maybe Preds

Looking back at Grier’s drafts, he’s found some exceptional talent but he hasn’t found 3 starters per year every year. His best draft was 2016 with Tunsil, Xavien, and Drake as his first three picks. Last year’s will hopefully end up good and 2017 started with Harris, Raekwon, and Tankersley which is pretty terrible. I have hope with all the scouting talent he’s brought in tho.

Hmmm… 2016 and 2017 – revisit the situation. 2018 – Minkah, Gesicki and Baker. Too early to call. All 9 are still on the team and part of the rebuild as of now.

2016 Tunsil, Howard and Drake
        2017 Harris, McMillan and Tankersley
        2018 Minkah, Gesicki and Baker

178. Phindog says:

Mike E says there are many ways to skin a cat. I always find that bitting them behind the shoulder and shaking them violently is the best way to skin a cat. 🐕

179. dloxahatchee says:

Happy Easter!

On the QB talk, get one this year or next…..
    Sure wish it was as simple as that lol

How about picking an early and a mid rounder every year until we finally get out of this 20 year long mess?

180. MF, we Need a QB, because Tannehill is gone, and Fitzpatrick is an interception machine.

There is Nothing worse than a QB that tosses the ball to the wrong team all the time.
    Fitzpatrick is a poor excuse of a backup QB, he isn’t a starter.

Fitzpatrick isn’t the answer, and he’s not part of a rebuild. It was just stupid bringing him in, because he’s not what we need, and doesn’t help us rebuild either.

Tannehill was the third best QB Miami ever had, but Fitz won’t crack the top 50 imo

A first round Offensive lineman isn’t needed for interceptions, Fitz can toss picks behind any ole offensive lineman.
    But first round QB,s , can win more games for us than first round OL.

Tannehill helped us win a helluva lot more games than Tunsil ever did.

An offensive lineman just blocks, he doesn’t lead the team, doesn’t pass, doesnt handoff, doesn’t win games, doesn’t call plays,

he just blocks,

there is no reason why We can’t address both QB, and OL with our picks.

Take a QB in the first, and a OL in the second, We need both, so problem solved with this approach

181. We talk of the first round busts at QB, but first round OL busts occur too.

I remember the Dolphins taking Jake Long first pick. We never selected a QB this high in the draft.

He was supposed to be the best LT for a decade or so.

How did that work out? Did he help the team go the playoffs often ,and a super bowl, like The QB we skipped did?

In 2016, Matt Ryan was the NFL MVP, lead the league in passing, put over 500 points in the board, had 4 pro bowls on his resume, and led his team to the Super Bowl.

We will forever be the team that drafted Long, not Ryan.

182. Btw, in 2016, the year Ryan won the NFL MVP,

We didn’t have Jake Long, the Dolphins had to bring in a FA Brandon Albert, and Sam Young,
    and wasted another draft pick on Billy Turner, . SMH

Taking Long instead of Ryan cost us,,,

A franchise QB, and we still have to use more draft picks to get QB, and OL, It basically solved nothing, but cost a lot of time and wasted picks trying to make up for that mistake.

We still haven’t completely recovered from that mistake, we had to use yet another first round pick on Tunsil, and still have no quarterback, which will probably require yet another first round pick

183. We needed a LT, but severely reached for Long, he shouldn’t have been the first pick when there were better players on the board.

We could have gotten a LT in the second that year that would have fared just as well maybe better, and have Ryan as our franchise QB.

I didn’t even mention that skipping Ryan in the draft forced us to use yet another first round pick on a QB, trying to make up for that mistake, and now RT is gone, so we are basically spinning oir wheels in the mud, and throwing draft picks in the garbage like last years Christmas fruit cakes

I guess it’s pretty lucky we get 1 first round pick every year!

LMAO @ severely reached!
    Or maybe I’m getting Dimensia?????

• You don’t think We reached for Long, when Ryan was on the board?

Btw we ended up with Chad Henne in the second that year, SMH

When You make a hige mistake,
      like skipping a NVL MVP winning super bowl appearance quarterback for a lineman, You have to try and make up for it by selecting Chad Henne, Ryan Tannehill, etc.

We should have taken Ryan, and got the best LT we could in the second round, or in the first round we took Tannehill.

If never works out to skip a potential franchise QB for a lineman, and try to make do with the chad Hennes of the world.

The last time Miami went to a super bowl, we had Dan Marino, that’s what it takes to go to the big dance, a franchise quarterback.

LT will not lead us to our next super bowl

Jake longs first year here Miami won the division and went to the playoffs, I would assume the reason for not picking Ryan was the fact that Parcells was already eyeing his QB in Pennington, an experienced vet over a rookie QB,

you have to protect your QB, Jake Long started day 1, Ryan would have sat for a year. circumstances dictated who we drafted back then.

but as usual hindsight is 20/20

• And our foresight was blind, SMH.

Long never was going to be the NFL MVP, nor ever help us go to a super bowl, and that was known beforehand. We reached ,

Many people knew Ryan was the better choice back then, but the Dolphins Fo didn’t

Parcells wanted to trade out of that number 1 pick but had no takers due to the fact there was no rookie scale. I think they had to pay Long 65mil, no team wanted that hitting their cap.

188. BailBondMike says:

Figured I would do my last “First Pick” mock (maybe, lol) and this is what I am faced with based on who went in the top 12 picks. Sucks! Where do I go? Think I am trading back.

Round 1 Pick 1 (1) Cardinals: Kyler Murray (QB) Oklahoma
    Round 1 Pick 2 (2) 49ers: Nick Bosa (DE) Ohio St.
    Round 1 Pick 3 (3) Jets: Montez Sweat (DE) Miss. State
    Round 1 Pick 4 (4) Raiders: Ed Oliver (DT) Houston
    Round 1 Pick 5 (5) Buccaneers: Quinnen Williams (DT) Alabama
    Round 1 Pick 6 (6) Giants: Devin White (ILB/OLB) LSU
    Round 1 Pick 7 (7) (JAX) Packers: Devin Bush (OLB/ILB) Michigan
    Round 1 Pick 8 (8) Lions: Josh Allen (OLB) Kentucky
    Round 1 Pick 9 (9) Bills: Clelin Ferrell (DE) Clemson
    Round 1 Pick 10 (10) Broncos: Dwayne Haskins (QB) Ohio St.
    Round 1 Pick 11 (11) Bengals: Jawaan Taylor (OT) Florida
    Round 1 Pick 12 (12) (G.B.) Jaguars: Jonah Williams (OT) Alabama

• BailBondMike says:

I traded back with the Giants to 17 and gained rd 2 pick 5 but missed out on:
      Round 1 Pick 13 (NYG): Drew Lock, QB, Missouri
      Round 1 Pick 14 (ATL): Rashan Gary, DE/DT, Michigan
      Round 1 Pick 15 (WASH): Daniel Jones, QB, Duke
      Round 1 Pick 16 (CAR): Andre Dillard, OT, Washington St.

• BailBondMike says:

Not seeing anyone I like at 17 except Wilkins. I have only 1 trade offer from Philly for #25, a 2nd and 4th. I might take it but might miss on Wilkins.

189. Krishna says:

Defense won the SB last year…..having a top 10 defense year in and year out will typically get you the playoffs and possibly a SB.

Marino never won a SB.

190. BailBondMike says:

I took the Philly trade and missed on:
    Round 1 Pick 17 (17) (NYG) Eagles: Greedy Williams (CB) LSU
    Round 1 Pick 18 (18) Vikings: Cody Ford (OG/OT) Oklahoma
    Round 1 Pick 19 (19) (TENN) Chiefs: Brian Burns (DE) Florida St.
    Round 1 Pick 20 (20) Steelers: Byron Murphy (CB) Washington
    Round 1 Pick 21 (21) Seahawks: Garrett Bradbury (C/OG) NC State
    Round 1 Pick 22 (22) Ravens: AJ Brown (WR) Ole Miss
    Round 1 Pick 23 (23) Texans: Dalton Risner (OT/OG) Kansas St.
    Round 1 Pick 24 (24) (OAK) Jaguars: Noah Fant (TE) Iowa

191. BailBondMike says:

I took Wilkins at 25. Thinking OL or DE at 5.

I hope you guys know these mock draft sites aren’t showing you what would likely happen so that you are convincing yourselves we can do stuff like trade out if the first and still get an elite level player. Trading back is basically saying I’d rather have quantity over quality. I promise, unless something unpredictable happens the chance we still get a guy we are hot on while trading back is highly unlikly. Staying put should be your planned stance going into the draft. Up or down should be deviations made because what ya were expecting wasn’t there or wasn’t going to be there (in the case of trade up).

It just seems so many follow these mock trade simulators like oh yeah sure we can trade back and still get a bad ass. See I did it right here. It’s not the real draft, it’s not even a really accurate simulator.

BBM not calling you out, just came after your last mock. I see tons of people making the sane assertion and strengthening their trade back resolve. It’s not that straight forward and you are giving up bird in hand for a lot of questions further down the line.

Channeling your inner Tim this morning huh?

D — never hit a mock draft simulator in my life, but do think trade down makes sense for us unless they are hitting on QB they like. And do get that trade down means not as good talent available….. well at least if it is a large drop.

Lets take a look at Ryans Superbowl highlights?

MANITOBA: I was more than a bit surprised when the Jets only got ONE shot on goal during the crucial 2nd period of last night’s crucial game against the Blues. But, as I said earlier, SHIT HAPPENS IN THE NHL PLAYOFFS!! – – And, at least one team I’ve picked to win a series ends up losing in the first round every season. And, although the highest ranked team in the NHL (also known as the President’s Cup winner) has WON MORE STANLEY CUPS than any other team that has made the playoffs since they instituted this format in 1986, being ranked #1 is hardly a lock to make The Finals. SHIT HAPPENS!!
    —————-
    Some unsophisticated fans here in Tampa Bay want to fire and/or trade just about all the coaches and key players on the Lightning team after the recent debacle. They fail to realize that just about EVERY TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE NHL has a losing streak/slump during either the regular season or the playoffs (with the possible exception of Scotty Bowman’s ’76-’77 Montreal Canadiens)! The Bolts just happened to have their ONE AND ONLY SLUMP THIS SEASON in the first round of the playoffs!!—John Cooper didn’t get hockey stupid during the playoffs. Stankos, Kucherov and Braden Point didn’t forget how to play hockey in April. THEY JUST SUCKED at the exact moment the Blue Jackets got RED HOT!!!

Poor timing? – – YES, absolutely!! But SHIT HAPPENS! –Ask the 1980 Soviet Olympic team. NO bona fide hockey expert today will tell you that, man for man, team USA had a better team than did Russia. Indeed, several players from that Russian team are in THE NHL HALL OF FAME OR HAD significant careers in the NHL. Other than defenseman Ken Morrow, I can’t think of any member of that U.S. team who had a long, proserous career in the NHL. However, that said, for one amazing afternoon, Team USA WAS A BETTER TEAM THAN THE RUSSIANS!!
    ——————
    SHIT HAPPENS!
    ——————
    MANITOBA; Like you, I’m now rooting for franchises that have never won the Cup.
    —————–
    ANOTHER STUNNING DAY of good weather in Tampa Bay. High in the’70’s, low near 60. It’s the best run of good weather (Jan. through April) I can ever remember in my many decades of living in the Sunshine State!

All I want for Easter is a QB, 3 new OL, a DT, a DE and another LB is that too much to ask the Easter bunny for?

Hulk smash punny Easter/Draft bunny if he no bring that

197. BailBondMike says:

Awe shit, something happened and got booted out in 3rd round and it was setting up nice!
    1 pick 25 DT WILKINS
    2 pick 5 DE Ferguson
    2 pick 16 DE Winovich
    2 pick 21 OT Cajuste
    3 pick 14 OG Deiter
    Sucks that happened with 5 picks left (two 4th’s, a 5th and two 7th’s). Probably would have went OL, QB, DB, etc This would have ended up being my last mock. dammit!