2018 Miami Dolphins – Free Agency – WR’s

At the moment of this writing, the Dolphins are not flush with cap space entering the 2018 NFL season’s Free Agency period.  We currently stand at 29th, with a shade under $10M of cap space.  Of course, that can radically change with a series of cuts and/or restructures, and I do expect there will be some of both which will positively affect our cap space for this season.  That being said, I don’t expect us to be big players in FA, but that doesn’t mean we can’t add a couple of good depth players, and maybe one quality starter.  Teams like the 49ers, Browns and Colts have 8 to 10 times the amount of cap space we have, so we won’t be bringing in the big name players, especially if those teams want them as much as we do.

Because free agency precedes the draft, it completely impacts our draft strategy.  With the potential loss of WR Jarvis Landry, I’m first going to take a look at possible replacements for him.    Each week, I’ll look at a different position, and go over the candidates I think might be in the running for our Dolphins.

WR Sammy Watkins 6’1 211 – 24 YO

ap_colts_rams_football_93693942

Watkins is only 24 years old, and of course, isn’t the same type of WR Landry is, and just so you know, I’m looking at WR’s, not Jarvis Landry replacements.  Watkins has been somewhat of an enigma.  He has talent, and has speed to burn too, running a 4.43 40.  He had a very promising rookie season with our rival Buffalo Bills, reeling in 65 catches for just under 1000 yards (982) and 6 TD’s.  That was the only season out of 4 that Watkins played all 16 games though.  His 2nd season with Buffalo he broke the 1000 yard mark with 60 receptions for 1047 yards and 9 TD’s.  Then the nagging injuries started, and Watkins hasn’t been able to produce anywhere near as much since.  In 2016, Watkins last season with the Bills, he played only 8 games and had a season to forget.  He got new life after being traded to the Rams last season, but still couldn’t reproduce the numbers he put up in BUF.  The difference in LA was he was one of many weapons, and the Rams biggest weapon was their star RB (possible MVP) Todd Gurley, so Watkins, and all the WR’s had to take the back seat to Gurley.

One thing has been consistent with Watkins, he makes big plays.  Last season, 8 of his 39 receptions went for TD’s, and throughout his career, his YPR average is exemplary, at 15.9.  Kenny Stills at 16.1, so he would be another player that stretches the field for MIA.  Whether or not Spotrac is correct in their projection for Watkins market value, I can’t say, but if their right, at $5.9M per year, he’d be worth a look.

******************************************************************

WR Marqise Lee 6’0 192 – 26YO

636129303482301876-USP-NFL-Oakland-Raiders-at-Jacksonville-Jaguars

Marqise Lee is about the same size as Landry, but is nowhere near the physical player Landry is.  He’s had an up and down career with Jacksonville, somewhat stuck behind the 2 other talented receivers there, The Allen’s, Robinson and Hurns.  It’s not that the former 2nd RD pick in 2014 isn’t good, the Allen’s were dynamic.  Lee got some playing this season with the season ending injury to Allen Robinson, yet still put up modest stats, despite starting 14 games.  Much like Watkins in LA, the new show in Jacksonville was RB Leonard Fournette.  Lee’s best season, despite starting only 6 games, but playing in all of them was in 2016, where Lee 63 passes for 851 yards and 3 TD’s.  He’s not a playmaker, nor a gamebreaker, but he’s an NFL WR with experience and talent.  He’s projected to be around $7.5M per year, so he’s in the right range.

*******************************************************************

WR Danny Amendola  5’11 183 – 32YO

7751554

We all know Amendola well, former St. Louis Ram and most recently, former New England Patriot, who BTW, stepped up his game big time taking over for Julian Edelman, especially in the playoffs..  Amendola is a lot like Landry in one way, he makes a lot of big catches for first downs, and is a very reliable pass catcher throughout his career, with an over 70% catch rate.  Amendola doesn’t catch a lot of TD passes, he’s a slot WR, like Landry, and the most TD’s he has are 4 in a season, and that was 2 years ago.  He has good short burst quickness, and knows how to get open, he’s a crafty veteran.  Amendola hasn’t been a super durable player, and I wouldn’t expect that to change much at 32.  If we were looking for a short term contract, Amendola might be an option.

*************************************************************************

WR Jordan Matthews 6’3 212   – 25YO

Buffalo-Bills-WR-Jordan-Matthews-LB-Ramon-Humber-out-indefinitely-with-thumb-injuries

Jordan Matthews started out looking very promising with Philadelphia Eagles in his rookie season in ’14.  he played in 16 games, starting 10, and finished with67 receptions for 872 yards and 8 TD’s.  He improved the next season to 85 catches and 997 yards and again, 8 TD’s. In 2016, Matthews fell off some, catching 73 passes for 804 yards and 3 TD’s.  Teh Eagles, desperate to improve their secondary, traded Jordan Matthews (who replaced Sammy Watkins) to the Bills plus a pick for CB Ronald Darby.  Matthews had a quiet season in BUF, and ended up with only 25 receptions for 282 yards and 1 TD, before being placed on IR with a knee injury on December 14th.  Matthews is a solid player, who has played both outside and in the slot.  After a disappointing ’17 season, Matthews price will be dinged, and I think he’d be a good player to check out.  He had surgery on his knee and ankle at the end of the season, but expects to be healthy for the start of the new season.  I think the former 2nd RD pick is definitely worth a look.

**************************************************************************

Paul Richardson 6’0 175 – 25YO

cst_ek2v1689

Richardson was mostly overlooked in SEA, with WR’s Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse and Tyler Lockett.  Despite being drafted in the 2nd RD, Richardson didn’t get hsi chance to shine until the Seahawks traded his fellow WR Jermain Kearse to the Jets.  Richardson had somewhat of a genesis in his 4th season, with 44 catches for 703 yards and 6 TD’s.  That’s nearly as many catches, and more yards and TD’s than he accumulated in his first 3 seasons.  Richardson, who played in all 16 games last season, started 13 of them.  Richardson has excellent speed, running a 4.4 at the combine.  He only has 1 year of production, and that’s a little worrisome, but it also should keep his price down.  Spotrac projects Richardson at $6.3M per year, which is very manageable.

***************************************************************************

WR Ryan Grant 6’0 199   – 27YO

grant_vs_eagles_usat

Ryan Grant, somewhat similarly to Paul Richardson,  had a big season last year, after being somewhat buried on the depth chart.  Grant played all 16 games, but started only 7, playing in the slot.  Grant caught 45 balls for 573 yards and 4 TD’s, which is more than double of what he did the previous 3 years.  Grant just turned 27, and his production last year might earn him a job as a slot receiver as a starter, and who knows, it might be here.  After all, how hard would it be to change L-A-N-D-R-Y to G-R-A-N-T on the back of your #14 uni?  😉

***********************************************************************

There are some other WR’s that might interest us, or at least interest me, but I’m going to keep it at 6 for every position.  Honorable mentions are Donte Moncrief, Taylor Gabriel, and Kamar Aiken.

900 Responses to 2018 Miami Dolphins – Free Agency – WR’s

1. ElephantRider says:

Ajayi isn’t a premiere back. He just isn’t. He had some monster games, but that was it. Acting like they traded Barry Sanders for a cheese steak…..
    And if Ajayi helps Philly beat the Cheatriots then I’m happy with the trade!

I don’t think they take an edge rusher early. IMO, they will go with Branch and Harris, with Branch flipping to Wake’s side. Wake will be a role player, coming in on passing downs. We should all get used to the idea that #11 is going to be a QB.

Fuck Ajayi. He’ll be out of the league in two years.

That’s definitely possible, which is why it’s silly to keep saying we got the short end of the deal, when the story hasn’t been written yet

• pheloniusphish says:

What do they think I’d going to happen when the Philadelphia honeymoon is over? Ajayi has proven that he is a selfish malcontent repeatedly. As soon as he faces some adversity, he’ll do it again.

I think they will go OLB or OL in the first.

But maybe that’s just what I would do?

I think if Quenton is there, he’s our pick, but if he’s gone, and Roquan is there, I think you’re right, it could easily be him. Of course, it could be a QB, and I wouldn’t be shocked by it either.

Naples – Thanks, it’s always hard to pick with so many players at any given position hitting the market. The thing about Watkins, and I think D said it pretty well, is the idea of Watkins is better than actually getting Watkins. He’s got talent, but like Parker, he hasn’t stayed healthy enough to fulfill the expectations teams have had for him.

6. naplesfan2010 says:

Or wait and take Chad Thomas (#46 by Draftek) in the second or Dorance Armstrong (Draftek #76) or Sam Hubbard (#80) or Josh Sweat (#81) or even Lorenzo Carter (#82) in the third. These are the top dozen pass rushers in a nice deep class at the position.

We could even take a flyer on the other Ohio State DE Tyquan Lewis (#197) at 6’3 260 in the 6th if he lasts that long.

Just get me some more QB pressure PLEASE!

I like Tyquan Lewis, but I don’t think he’s going to make it past the 3rd or 4th RD. He’s got the right type of build to be one of those run stopping DE’s, real thick legs, low center of gravity. He could probably move inside too as a pass rusher on passing downs.

One thought that has crossed my mind lately is if Nelson is the best OL available?

I mean to say do we take a LT and push Tunsil back inside?

Or take a swing tackle that can play RT to replace of James if he doesn’t get signed or is injured again?

Don’t get me wrong I like Nelson a lot!
    It’s just a thought?

8. naplesfan2010 says:

On the other hand, beyond Ridley there is a dearth of talent this draft at WR. Unless you are into uncovering acorns you hope will sprout.That does happen, but I’d much rather get a guy from Pig’s list in FA and save our picks for 2 TEs, OG, DE, LB, and RB … maybe a FS.

If Minkah falls to us in round 1, take him and smile real big cuz we nailed that pick.

If you think we are drafting a QB in round 1 then we have to move up from 11 and I don’t think we are going to do that

10. Naples,
    you really think Draft Tek is that legit. I’ve always found them to be the most “out there” of any of the mock draft sites. they never seemed that accurate to me.

Lou – Not to be silly, but do you really think if a team has a QB rated very high, like a high 1st RD grade, and that player fell to the team say at #11, like our pick, and they’ve done their due diligence, scouted, had private meetings, did background checks, spoke to former coaches etc, do you really think that team is going to pass on that prospect because other teams did who had a need at the same position? If they’re worth their salt, they better be more sure than that, to be swayed by other teams passing on him.

• I would be afraid if were our team because we don’t seem to do our due diligence on players like we should. Grier was there when we took Jordan and Parker in the first.

You may think that, but my guess is they did check everything out, but made a mistake. It happens, there are a lot more first round busts than there are successes. Put yourself in that spot, you’ve done months and months of exhaustive scouting and checking and reviewing, and now the player you have ranked highest falls in your lap, I think the last thing you’re thinking is “Oh shit, no one else took him, what do I do now?” You run to the podium and grab him!

• I guess what it comes down to is if you didn’t have either rated that high and there’s a couple guys that you did have rated that high then that’s the way you go. You don’t take the qb just because one is there.

You’re right. If you did your due diligence and had them rated that high to begin with and they’re there when you’re picking then you shouldn’t be scared off. It’s only if you didn’t have them rated that high after doing your due diligence you would shy away.

Grier likes to say “trust the process” so if you’ve got those two guys rated as late firsts, early seconds you wouldn’t take one of them over anyone you’ve got rated higher.

Miami has been following conventional wisdom for decades and look where it has gotten them. Nowhere…mediocrity. They need inspiration. Look for them to make a splash, try to get fans and players excited.

13. naplesfan2010 says:

If we take a QB in round 1, which I pray fervently that we do not, then it means that Tannehill’s injury is worse for his future than i have been led to believe, in which case it’s necessary to take a QB in the first because we don’t have one, unless we sign Cousins (which I would not like to do) or trade Landry for Foles (which is my first choice, only to solve what would be a very desperate scenario).

Lou – That I completely agree with, just taking a QB for the sake of taking one, if they didn’t have him rated high. That’s how guys get fired.

15. naplesfan2010 says:

I hope to get an impact player at a position other than QB in the first. (Edge rusher)
    or in our pitiful case, OG. Possibly an ILB or OLB like Roquon if that is who falls to us.
    Then 2 TEs and a RB, whichever position we did not fill in the first in the 2nd , 3rd, and top of the 4th.
    Then draft a player like the guy from Memphis in the 4th.

I just don’t see any of these QBs as a generational talent worth wasting a first on, unless you are Cleveland or otherwise desperate. (like us if Tannehill is done.)

• RB isn’t important to me early. I would wait until 5th rd or later. With offensive line being deep in this draft but defense not being nearly as deep I’d go D early if it’s possible. Get that impact player on the defensive side if we can.

We can most likely get o-line or TE in the 2nd. We may not be able to get everything we need or want so we will have to make some choices. 1st 3 rds are going to be key for us this year and we’re going to need some things to fall in place for us because some teams have more than one pick in the 1st and 2nd so it could be slim pickings.

16. naplesfan2010 says:

I think Rosen, Darnold, and Rudolph are also all in play for the #1 pick plus the Giants and Jets picks. not to mention Denver, although Elway might have some secret FA plan. All 4 of these could go before #11 and don’t forget you have two Heisman winners sitting there not even on this list.

17. Interesting:

BECAUSE the guys doing the picking (T-Bomb, Gier, and the Doofus Brigade) are incapable of picking “diamonds in the rough” in a later round!! –Have you NOT SEEN the guys they’ve selected in the later rounds???

OKAY, Here’s my take on tomorrow’s Super Bowl in frigid Minnesota.
    The Eagles come in on a high note as Foles completed 27 of 33 passes for nearly 400 yards and 4 touchdowns against a highly regarded Vikings’ defense. But, hell, even Blake Bortles had an outstanding day the prior week against the so-so Pats secondary. And it wasn’t THAT long ago that, dare I say his name, Jay Cutler, had a big game in Miami against that secondary??

Truth is the Pats air defense has holes which Foles will successfully exploit. And, as ProfLou has stated, the birds running troika of Ajayi, Blount and Clemens should have some decent yardage on the ground. Look for Philly to out gain the Pats in the running game, a key element to keeping Brady on the bench.

Some will say the return of GRONK guarantees a New England win. “NOT SO FAST, MY FRIEND!” Only when Gronk was knocked out of the Jags’ game did the Pats mount a successful, referee aided come back. New England’s offense produced MORE YARDAGE AND MORE SCORES when Gronk was out of the game!!

There’s a reason both of New England’s coordinators are leaving the franchise and moving on to head coaching jobs in Indy and Detroit. They BOTH want to get out of town BEFORE THE SHIT STORM of a non-playoff season hits the Patriots’ franchise. And they BOTH KNOW the Pats are NOT a great team minus Brady, partly because back-up QB Hoyer is no Jimmy G. (since traded to the ’49ers). And, despite Brady’s statements to the contrary, many believe that NEXT SEASON will be Tom-Boy’s last. His zillionaire wife does not want her husband’s brain to turn to mush, which it certainly will if he plays too many years in the NFL.

GET READY to celebrate, long suffering Dolfans! The DEMISE OF THE PATRIOTS’ FRANCHISE IS AT HAND!! tHE eAGLES WILL cover the 4 AND 1/2 POINT SPREAD AND, PERHAPS, JUST PERHAPS, the birds will win this game outright!

NOW, if we could just get ROSS to SELL THE TEAM in the next few years, the table would be set for a DOLPHINS RUN TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!

AH, VICTORY, SWEET VICTORY!!!

Lou because the 4+6 =10 and in this case being a 10 is not worth a shit at all!

Oh and the 1 in the middle

Mike, I think Naples got confused because the last 3 blog articles are all connected. Is this something new you guys are doing. It caught me off guard last week.

No, but we have been having trouble loading our new articles for some reason. I had my last article scheduled for 6AM on Thursday, and it didn’t show up, so something is malfunctioning, not sure exactly what it is.

Tim – It’s strange – It showed the status as “published”, yet there was no tab to access it, and if you went to our website, it didn’t show. I noticed the format to enter articles is a little different, but not sure if we’re just missing something obvious. We used to have to schedule our articles, now it seems like they want us to publish them immediately, there’s a “publish immediately” tab, and when you hit it, you then get a choice to either “publish now”, or schedule it for later.

Not to bore you to the point where you dig your eyes out of your skull, but I do notice something different on each of the last 4 articles, there’s a notation of “sticky” on each of them, and I remember now that in order to get my last article to show, there was for lack of a better word, a “switch” that you could slide to “stick to front page”, which I did, and then my article showed up. There may be a way to get it to show without doing that, but I think both Piggy and I haven’t been able to figure out what that is.

Something about our website changed on the last update

And it’s totally screwing with me

I think Stills is a good WR. He has big playmaking ability. I don’t really care about #1, 2 or 3 WR stuff. When you have 3 on the field they are all options. It’s all about how you utilize them. I would prefer our offense use our WRs more vertically and check down to RBs and TEs. Maybe that’s coming.

Mike and Piggy, yeah the format definitely changed. The last 3 articles are all connected to one another.

Piggy broke the blog – I think we might have to ask Twice if my son can’t figure it out. My son is away until tomorrow though.

POST SEASON FACT TO PONDER: “The underdogs have covered the spread in 9 out of the 10 playoff games so far in the NFL Playoffs!”

26. ElephantRider says:

On my phone the only article on this page is the WRs.

When I go to the bookmark for this site, it comes up this WR article, followed by Ballage, followed by Pettway. It wasn’t always like this. It’s not a bad thing, it just changed.

• ElephantRider says:

That’s weird. I can still click previous article at the top and it’s just Ballgag. Nothing is different at all for me.

The first time I noticed, I read the Ballage article but didn’t reply. What I normally do once I’ve already read an article when I come back on is to scroll to the bottom for comments. When I did that I saw that there were 1,300+ comments and when I read the Ballage article only a few hours earlier it was at like 10 comments. No way did it get that many comments in that amount of time. Then I realized I was on the Pettway article. That’s when I noticed they were connected, and now the WR article is connected as well.

I can still go to the specific articles on the right where the links are. But when the page loads, all three of those articles are connected one after the other with the latest at the top. But now I know not to scroll to the bottom, stop at the end of the top article comments. 🙂

27. twicethethe says:

Ok, I think I fixed this. Let me know if everything is back to normal.

28. rich0322 says:

Does Kenny Stills have it in him to be Miami’s number one guy if we can’t keep Landry?

He’s been a consistent 2 or 3 his whole career, but does he have it in him to be the featured receiver?

I think so.
    ____________________________________________
    I agree that Stills has worked himself into the #2 for us, but he’s not a # 1. I have to admit that it took me a while to come around on Stills. Early on I wanted him gone, but he’s grown on me the last two seasons. I like the guy as a player and person. Plus, how can you not like a guy who really wants to be a Dolphin.

Thanks Twice! Thanks Twice!

I look at it this way when thinking about our offense. Obviously you have to block and your QB has to play well.

For argument’s sake, and this isn’t about me hating Landry because you know I don’t. 🙂

Say one of our bread and butter lineups is this. Based on talent, not factoring injuries or small bodies of work etc.

Are you telling me we can’t move the ball and score points with?

WR Stills
    WR Parker
    WR Grant
    RB Drake
    TE Rook – good player

All of them will be 26 years old or less by the way.

Carroo will make plays when he gets the oportunity. I think he could be good from the slot. I have not given up on him yet.

• ElephantRider says:

I think there are Wes in house that are capable. Only thing missing is that #1 WR. I know you don’t care for the labeling, but it sure would be nice to have what Parker was supposed to be. They spent a 1st trying to get that.

• rich0322 says:

Losing Landry would mean we need to focus even more on TE. There’s no rule that forbids us from having a TE as a #1 option. I know it won’t be easy, especially for a young guy, but getting 2 TEs this off season could help those odds.

I think that’s really what we need. RBs and TEs are chain movers. If they’re playmakers as well, great!

I lol’d at the clipping Lou posted above. It also reminded me of what I think is a funny story about the ex. I had just started going out with him when he was in med school. He told me one day they paired them up and they had to practice rectal exams on each other. So of course I asked him who he was paired up with….and he said….some big fingered guy! Still cracks me up. 🙂

32. rich0322 says:

Let’s just keep focusing on both lines of scrimmage, and I think we’ll be able to find enough production from our other positions to be competitive deep into next season.

• rich0322 says:

…And when I say other positions, I’m including the back seven on defense and STs, not just WRs, RBs, and TEs. We need to improve as a whole, as in the whole team.

I think our defense could be much improved in 2018 as we are. Look at the youth and the new and little game experience they have together. That’s huge, to have chemistry, which they did not have last year and they were still decent to good.

33. naplesfan2010 says:

yes the odd combination of articles is what confused me into thinking it was one massive post by Piggy.

34. naplesfan2010 says:

163 Mike White Western Ky. Sr QB 8 6-4 225
    183 Kyle Lauletta Richmond Sr QB 9 6-3 215
    190 Nick Stevens Colorado St. Sr QB 10 6-3 200
    196 Riley Ferguson Memphis Sr QB 11 6-4 210
    213 Luke Falk Wash. State Sr QB 12 6-4 225
    226 Chase Litton Marshall Jr QB 13 6-6 223

per CBS sports which is a very reliable site

35. naplesfan2010 says:

26 401 — Matt Linehan Idaho 6’2″ 214
    27 402 — Quinton Flowers South Florida 6’0″ 210
    28 404 — Richard Lagow Indiana 6’5″ 238

from Draftek

37. BailBondMike says:

Your Picks:
    Round 2 Pick 1 (CLE): Billy Price, C/OG, Ohio State (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 3 (CLE): Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Sony Michel, RB, Georgia (B)
    Round 2 Pick 31 (CLE): Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Mike White, QB, Western Kentucky (D)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Chad Thomas, DE, Miami (FL) (A)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Tony Brown, CB, Alabama (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Justin Lawler, DE, Southern Methodist (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Tony Adams, OG, North Carolina State (B+)
    Round 7 Pick 11: David Wells, TE, San Diego State (A-)

Just messing around. The steal in this draft was CB Tony Brown, a big and fast CB who can also play the safety positions. Maybe Lawler in the 6th also a steal. For those who don’t know, TE David Wells is one of the best blocking TE’s in this draft.

LOL @ Herd!

Naples – For the most part, evaluations are in for the QB’s, but the combine still counts, and in some cases, can substantially change the grade, although a lot of the top QB’s sometimes skip the throwing drills because they prefer the scripted throwing at their pro days. The final grade though is definitely not cast until the combine.

Thanks Twice
    Thanks Twice

41. naplesfan2010 says:

Are these the grades which the NFL distributes to the underclassmen to help them determine whether they should declare for early draft eligibility? Probably not.

I don’t believe so, Naples. Those grades come from an advisory board and are available well before these other Draft grades.

• Plenty of underclassmen do submit for a grade from the draft advisory board specifically for that purpose to see if it would be worth coming out. I don’t know so much that it makes all that much difference considering the number who declare anyway because the number who actually get drafted is actually quite low compared to the seniors.

BailBondMike says:
    February 3, 2018 at 6:42 pm
    Your Picks:
    …Round 4 Pick 11: Chad Thomas, DE, Miami (FL) (A)…
    ———-
    Chad Thomas is growing on me by the day, thanks to you, BB Mike. I still REALLY want to re-sign William Hayes, but Thomas would be an outstanding draft pick to replace him.

Former Dolphins, Redskins and Chargers director of player personnel Bobby Beathard voted in to the Hall of Fame in Canton!!!
    ———-
    Is Ireland next???

44. ElephantRider says:

If Urlacher got in…..how is Zach not? Zach had just a productive career with much less physical talent. Dude was a a testament to working harder than everybody else…..

45. The CBSSports.com site underwent a change this year and is completely out of whack. They’ve barely got over 200 prospects listed this year where they’d have so many more in past years and they’re rankings are all out of sorts. I don’t know what happened to it but it’s nowhere near what it used to be.

46. I don’t know man. The more I watch Tremaine Edmunds or teams that played VT the more I want him in the first

He’s going to go 1st round.

• Oh, he’s definitely going first I’m just saying the more I see him the more he becomes my fav target in the first. However, he may end up going top 10. He’s got a mix of size, speed and agility that you just don’t see in LB’s that often. He would be a huge upgrade to the LB’s on this team. HUGE.

Here’s a NEW NFL RECORD that likely will NEVER be broken. The NFL’s MVP for the 2017 season (Tom Brady), AGE 40, IS NINE YEARS OLDER than the NFL’s 2017 COACH OF THE YEAR, Sean McVey, age 31!!!

HULK; I actually don’t want any violence at today’s Super Bowl. ESPECIALLY the kind of violence performed by radical terrorist groups. HOWEVER, that said, there IS A CHANCE that wild Philly fans will go crazy IF this game is STOLEN from their beloved Eagles.

SEE BELOW.

THOSE WHO BELIEVE that the NFL’s officiating is biased in favor of the Patriots (I’m one of them) will NOT like the assignment of Gene Steratore as referee for Super Bowl 52. Steratore was the idiot who STOLE a game from the Dolphins early on in the Steve Ross ownership era. He ruled, after an extremely long delay, that Miami had NOT recovered a Steelers’ fumble in the end zone that would have sealed a Miami upset win over Pittsburgh. Instead, Steratore ruled that it was Pittsburgh’s ball about 6 inches from the Dolphins’ goal line, despite NO VISUAL REPLAY EVIDENCE to support that claim! Steratore put 2 seconds on the expired clock, allowing the “STEALER’S” a chance to kick the winning FG on THE LAST PLAY OF THE GAME!!! –After the game, it was reported that Steratore’s family were SEASON TICKET HOLDERS OF THE STEELERS!!!

MOUSY ROSS should have been on the next plane to NFL headquarters in New York to demand a thorough reexamination of the replays and tapes of the last few seconds of THIS HEIST OF A FINISH!! – – But, NO-O-O-O, Steve Ross only voiced tepid disagreement with the outcome, allowing Roger Goodell to certify the results of a game that was ABSOLUTELY STOLEN FROM MIAMI!!!
    It was at this point that I KNEW MIAMI HAD THE WRONG OWNER IN STEVE ROSS!!!
    ——————–
    Rest assured that neither Joe Robbie nor DON SHULA would have taken this gross highway robbery lying down!! And a man whose family owns Steeler’s season tickets WOULD NEVER have been allowed to referee a Pittsburgh/Miami game. But, instead, the NFL has REWARDED THIS OBVIOUS CONFLICT OF INTEREST with a coveted assignment as head referee of a Super Bowl!!–Somewhere, those who bet on Pittsburgh that day are smiling!

And those looking for a fairly officiated game today are already frowning. Will the NFl “Flag Bearers” call 9 penalties against the Eagles and 1 against the Patriots (as occurred in the Pats-Jaguars game)?? IF so, Philly fans WON’T TAKE THIS LYING DOWN LIKE STEVE ROSS DID, BET YOUR ASS ON THAT!!!!!

• naplesfan2010 says:

No game outcome has ever been overturned, even when the officials have admitted to mistakes.
      I hate this ref as much as you do,
      and he threw that game against us.
      But there is nothing anybody can do about stuff like that to get the L turned into a W.

I do hope that with even nationally highly regarded announcers like Esiason publicly calling out the refs for favoring NE that we might get some change at the next owner meetings before it’s too late and the NFL loses its credibility for real.

NAPLES: DO you remember the infamous game involving George Brett’s Pine Tar Incident? MLB forced the Yankees to replay that game from the point of the WRONG rules interpretation and the Royals won the game, reversing the umpire’s wrong call.

49. naplesfan2010 says:

I don’t actually hate any of the players or coaches of Philly at this time, but I do hate their fans.

There used to be on old folks home near my elementary school where I grew up. It seemed like every month one of the “tenants” would wonder off and there’d be a huge search party to find them with helicopters flying over head and everything. Don’t know what reminded of that.

51. Dilly Dilly, Philly Philly!!! Go Nicky!!! You can doooooo it.

52. The more you look at it the more you have to think does CLE take a guy like Chubb who looks like a bona fide blue chipper or take a chance on a qb who may or may not work out? They can still get a qb at #4 and can trade Ogbah if they draft Chubb. It’s a tough call.

53. explain something to me. if you don’t have a team in the Super Bowl why would you host a Super Bowl party? Why would you even bother having one? Who cares if it’s the so-called greatest sports event of the year. If you don’t have a team in the game why would you care? I don’t understand.

54. You’re a Dolphins fan. Your most hated rival, the Patriots, are playing in the big game and you’re going to have a Super Bowl party. Boggles the mind. I’m sorry, maybe you all think this is unreasonable and stupid but I just don’t get how a Dolphins fan can host a Super Bowl party if the Patriots are playing in it. Especially for the amount of times they’ve been in it. I’m not even watching the game because I have no interest in it. We ALL know what the outcome is going to be. Don’t kid yourselves.

• rich0322 says:

I’m not even watching the Super Bowl and I didn’t watch it last year either.

If Dolphins fans don’t watch the game and root against the Pats…..it is a little victory for the Evil Empire.

• rich0322 says:

I don’t have to watch the game to root against NE. Besides, why should I help the NFL with their ratings.

• I just don’t have any interest in it. The Pats are in it AGAIN. Gets a bit boring after a while. So, even though I hope against hope the Eagles pull off an upset I can’t sit there knowing the Pats are going to win it anyway and waste all that time because when the Pats win it and I have watched the game I’ll feel even worse for being an idiot and wasting my time.

Obviously, if you guys don’t want to watch then don’t. To me it is mainly an American tradition. And every year it is the most watched of all….and don’t think the ratings compensate for all those SB parties with lots of eyes o one screen.

• rich0322 says:

I honestly don’t care. The NFL has changed too much for my liking, so I only support the Dolphins and a few other players. There are many weeks were the Dolphins are the only game I watch.

Lou – I would take Barkley because he’s the best player in this draft. CLE can then take their QB at #4, so they have the best RB in years, and then their franchise QB. Sounds like a way to get that offense to me. That’s why

• we all know that anyone can turn out to be a bust in the first rd and there’s no guarantees but when you’ve got a chance to take Cubb and then Minkah and then trade Ogbah for another pick and then possibly get your rb at the top of the 2nd in Michel then you’re building a team.

maybe one of those qb’s turns out to be your guy but there’s no guarantee you’re getting your franchise qb and, yeah, sometimes you got to take the chance but if you do all your evals and the qb doesn’t come out on top and Chubb does then you go with your evals.

No offense, but you’re taking a player with hopes of trading another player. That’s risky as hell. What leverage do you have then? You drafted a DE and now you have to have to get rid of the other DE you drafted a couple of years ago. What if you don’t get what you want for Ogbah? I’d rather go with the sure thing, Barkley, get my QB, which CLE desperately needs to ever compete, and then they still have so many picks left. in this draft.

• no I’m not. I’m just saying that if they take Chubb they should be able to trade Ogbah because they have Chubb now. I’m sure there will be takers for Ogbah if that were to happen but that wasn’t my point. My point is Chubb isn’t just a speed rusher like Ogbah. He’s the complete package. Plays the run and can rush the passer.

Barkely may be considered by many to be the best player in the draft but I don’t think you can overlook Chubb in this scenario

56. So the Skins are so hell bent on making Cousins life miserable they’re seriously thinking about tagging him so they can trade him and tying up all their cap space to stop themselves from being able to sign anyone during free agency. What a fucked up franchise. Snyder is the complete idiot owner.

I doubt they do it, but then Snyder has surprised me before. The one NFL owner I really don’t like.

• rich0322 says:

The only thing about Snyder I like is that he isn’t backing down when it comes to the Redskins name.

He’s a jerk. So are a lot of other owners, but he is also a jerk who has no clue as to how to run a football team.

57. I think a lot of people follow the herd and don’t want to tell others they didn’t watch the game or aren’t having a party because others will look at them like “what an idiot”. Who cares if “it’s an American tradition”.

I know the NFL isn’t going to miss me because I’m not watching the game and to each his own. You want to watch it then go ahead. Nobody is stopping you.

I’m just saying I don’t understand why a Phins fan would even be remotely interested in watching a game where you already know the outcome and your most hated rival is going to have another SB victory? Just seems strange to me that someone would waste their time watching this game when that’s the case and, better yet, having a party for the game as well.

but, it’s a free country.

Sometimes even a pig fart has a silver lining!

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 11: Arden Key, DE/OLB, LSU (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 11: K.J. Malone, OG, LSU (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, Southern California (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Isaiah Prince, OT, Ohio State (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Darius Leonard, OLB, South Carolina State (A+)

Lou
    I guess I’m the opposite of you on the SB party.

If the Fins were in in it there would be no way in hell I would let a bunch of idiots interrupt the game!

With 2 teams I could care less about I’m free to do the whole “public” thing!

61. Phindog says:

I’ll be watching the game today with my family like I do every year. I get to eat and drink to much and gamble. I’d rather my team be in it but watching the Super Bowl is a tradition at my house regardless of who’s playing.

Every 3 years it seems like Cleveland has 2 picks in the first round and they always end up picking the wrong QB and some other player that doesn’t stay on their team past the rookie contract.

Zach Thomas is a Hall of Famer! Period! I hope that man gets his due. He’s such a great guy, and he was a fantastic player that had a HOF worthy career. I have a feeling he’ll get in at some point, but it may be via the the veterans committee. However it happens, it should happen

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 11: Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB/FS, Alabama (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State (B)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Will Hernandez, OG, Texas-El Paso (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Derrick Nnadi, DT, Florida State (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State (C)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Darius Leonard, OLB, South Carolina State (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Quadree Henderson, WR, Pittsburgh (A+)

This SB is a tough one for my B-I-L, he’s a Giants fan and his wife is an Eagles fan. But she’s had to live through Giants SBs so I guess fair is fair. LOL

67. Saw a post on Twitter earlier today from someone claiming to have a “source” so I don’t know how true it is that the Phins are pursuing John Fox as a senior defensive assistant but he wants to see if he can land a DC job first. Said he’s been offered the same position by a couple other teams as well.

Two things. Either puts Burke on notice if Fox were around or maybe gets him one step closer to the front office. I know the front office thing is a lot of speculation on my part but if Ross looks at the football guys getting put in charge of things in the front office and Tannenbaum isn’t cutting it in his eyes maybe someone would convince him to make the move.

Fox would want to do it of course but I don’t see why he wouldn’t want to. In either case, if we were to land Fox it would go a long way to helping us on the defensive side of the ball because he has that going for him.

68. naplesfan2010 says:

Interesting. I’m a football fan: the game… the sport … the play of the game.
    My favorite team is the Dolphins … has been since they were invented.
    But I just love football.
    i will be watching every minute of this Super Bowl.
    I watch every minute every year.
    I love it.

69. naplesfan2010 says:

Because of circumstances unrelated to football, I am not having a big SB party this year, just a small one. I’ll be rooting against the Patriots every second. Live.

70. naplesfan2010 says:

I have seen every minute of every Super Bowl ever played. Very few people on earth can say that.

That shit better not show up in the game. Also if you have the game wrapped up Eagles, don’t do stupid shit and overthink it. Put it away.

Stanger, you didn’t watch MIA/SF live?

I was on a four week kayak trip. Got college credit for it too. I made my choice.

That sounds familiar, I think you’ve told that story before. Only the 1st half was worth watching for awhile. The 2nd half we were dominated.

73. naplesfan2010 says:

But don’t quiz me. I am not good at sports trivia.

Naples – That’s impressive as can be, that you’ve seen every SB live. Seriously, that’s amazing. I can’t come close to that claim. I haven’t watched them all, I’m somewhat of a sore loser, I don’t watch all the playoff games either, unless we’re in them, and that isn’t nearly often off for my liking. I can’t say I will the entire game tonight, especially if the Patriots are in control of it. If the Eagles are winning, I’ll be compelled to continue to watch, to see if they can blow up the death star

I am pretty sure that Bane is a fictional Super-villain and not a radical Islamic terrorist.

wyoming85 says:
    February 4, 2018 at 11:07 am

It’s just a flimsy excuse to drink and gamble with friends

^^^^ This

I’d be for the Eagles tonight because they are playing the Patriots, but Vinny Curry is a Marshall alum, always is very supportive of them. He was given his number(75) when he first went to training camp as a rookie but when other numbers opened up he kept it to honor the 75 victims of the crash. I’ve seen him in several interviews the past 2 weeks and he’s always been wearing Herd gear. So GO EAGLES!!!!

78. naplesfan2010 says:

OK now here is a strange draft … not a bad one, just a lot of guys I have not scouted well enough to put on my board. Draftek’s current mock:
    1 – 11 Mike McGlinchey Notre Dame OT 6’7 310
    2 – 42 Mark Andrews Oklahoma TE 6’5 253
    3 – 73 Brendan Mahon Penn St OG 6’4 315
    4 – 107 Mark Walton Miami FL RB 5’9 205
    4 – 127 Michael Hill Ohio State DT 6’2 295
    6 – 169 Damon Webb Ohio State S 5’11 193
    7 – 197 De’Asian Richardson Louisville DT 6’3 322
    7 – 203 Devron Davis UT San Antonio CB 6’0 210

You guys don’t seem to be targeting QBs.

80. naplesfan2010 says:

well pls do not misunderstand me, i am not bragging as watching all the SBs takes no skill or IQ or anything to be proud of. Actually, there is some luck involved. I tell my family to all go home and stay safe, so I don’t need to go to the emergency room and miss the game.

I didn’t look at it as bragging at all. Just a simple statement. Still impressive, whether you want to take credit or not. 🙂

Ditto!

• naplesfan2010 says:

plus you have to be really old and had to be hyper aware of sports right away cuz a lot of folks missed the first one or two because they were not aware it would be so important.

I’m grilling steaks in the pouring rain tonight. I knew it was going to be a little warmer, so I figured it would perfect for grilling. Didn’t count on the wet stuff though

82. naplesfan2010 says:

Steratore already has thrown the coin toss.

Looks like the closing line was Pats +4. Yes I want them to lose, but think it should be +6 or +7.

And wouldn’t it be great if Wentz was in there.

Go Ajayi!

And the 12th man keeps the eagles out of the End Zone

86. rich0322 says:

Just finished watching the movie Split. It’s nice to see M. Night with a good movie again. …loved The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs.

Plus, you have to laugh at his character’s name in Split- Jai, Hooter’s lover.

Good game plan by the Eagles to start. Shorten the game. You’re good enough to keep up. Missed on a great opportunity for a TD.

I would lose my mind if we could pull this off!

YOUR TEAM
    MIAMI DOLPHINS
    YOUR PICKS
    1: R1P11 S MINKAH FITZPATRICK ALABAMA
    2: R2P10 C BILLY PRICE OHIO STATE
    3: R3P9 TE DALLAS GOEDERT SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
    4: R4P11 RB NICK CHUBB GEORGIA
    5: R4P30 QB KURT BENKERT VIRGINIA
    6: R6P9 OT JOSEPH NOTEBOOM TCU
    7: R7P5 QB TANNER LEE NEBRASKA
    8: R7P11 FB DIMITRI FLOWERS

Gronk didn’t catch that last one, but for sure they schemed two on him.

Solo trailer was a pleasant surprise

He’s been making incredible catches for a while

Go Ajayi!!! Oh wait, he had absolutely nothing to do with that drive. 😀

Hmmmmm “That’s the first penalty called against the Patriots offense this entire post season….”

NICE STOP

Nigel Bradham… NICE!!!

Another great run by Ajayi!!! Oh wait, that was LeGarrette Blount! 🙂

98. Rhino says:

for those who buy squares for the superbowl… two failed xtra point attempts really throw a wrench into the pool. 🙂
    I’m cheering for Ajayi to have a good game. Don’t know why. Just want him to do well.

Cooks isnout for remining game

It’s the fact that the Eagles have Ajayi that’s allowing LeGarrette Blount and Alshon Jeffery to score. It’s all about Ajayi. Ajayi, Ajayi, Ajayi. The Philadelphia Ajayi’s. They can’t be beat.

Piggy – I’m rooting for Ajayi to have a meaningless SB because I’m tired of hearing how important he is. He’s just not a big factor in their offense, that’s pretty obvious. He’s just another player in this offense, he’s not the straw that stirs the drink. I hope that clarifies

Jeffrey almost had another incredible catch instead it’s an ugly tip up

I don’t think it’s wrong to root for Ajayi, I just want the people who think he’s the greatest thing since sliced bread to realize that he’s just a small cog in the machine in Philadelphia, not the major cog. He’s not a great player, or they would feature him constantly.

Wow, what a huge catch and run by Ajayi!!! Oh wait, that was Corey Clement! 🙂

The patriots defense is junk tonight

Over 6 first half yards between both teams

108. ElephantRider says:

Take that Brady! Foles can catch! Lol

109. Rhino says:

What the Fuck was THAT??? LMAO!!!!!!! Belicheat didn’t have that ONE on film

110. Rhino says:

Belicheat wearing a brand new “old” cutoff sweatshirt…

You get a SB box with 2-2 and you’re thinking you’re f*cked. Then you win the halftime score. lol

112. Rhino says:

Justin Timberlake halftime… Really? We’ve seen The Who, Sprinsteen, Tom Petty, The Rolling Stones, U2, Prince, and Paul McCartney…. and now, Justin Timberlake. lmao. Maybe he’ll be wearing his “whatever, whatever shoes”.

I’m wondering if we’re going to see the rumored Prince ‘hologram’ performing with Justin Tittielake at Halftime…

114. Rhino says:

Malcolm Jenkins might be MVP for the first half 😉

Fun game, I expect more weirdness but Brady looks bad. Many of his passes are wobbly.

116. naplesfan2010 says:

go Collinsworth calling Brady out. “They completed the pass that the Patriots couldn’t.”

117. Rhino says:

I just watch halftime for the potential “wardrobe malfunctions”… but the only malfunction might be the fringe on the jacket. lol

There he is!!!

119. Rhino says:

There it is MF13.

THOSE OF YOU who took Philly and the 4 and 1/2 point spread looking good right now. Absolutely MIND BOGGLING CALL ON 4TH AND GOAL BY PEDERSEN!!! And, as predicted, Eagles troika of running backs having big success on the ground. Those expecting a repeat of Atlanta’s collapse last Super Bowl should know that this Eagles’ squad is a far better conditioned and a far better coached team than were the Falcons. Rather than folding, I look for Philly to pull away in the 4th quarter and win this game. PROF LOU, are U watching???
    ———————-
    DON”T KNOW if NBC touched on this during the pre game show. But, when Shula’s Dolphins defeated Philadelphia to make Shula the NFL’s all-time winningest coach, the winning QB was Doug Pedersen, who was replacing an injurfed Scott Mitchell, who had stepped in for Marino when he blew-out his achilles in Cleveland earlier in the season. Doug Petersen will always have a special spot in the hearts of many Dolfans!!

I’m ok with whatever Ajayi does. He’s just a guy on the team I want to beat the Pats. So in that respect I hope he has a monster second half.

I’m hoping Vinny Curry gets an INT. He was close a couple of times in the first half. And of course the Pats lose.

Also hoping I don’t have a massive hangover tomorrow. 🍷

Holy cow, what a catch in the end zone by Ajayi!!! Oh wait, that was Corey Clement!

123. Rhino says:

…. and a call goes AGAINST the Patriots….. (that sound you heard was me fainting and hitting the floor).

124. Rhino says:

Steven Tyler is 69 or 70 and still wearing eyeliner. Not sure if that’s ‘cool’ or ‘disturbing’ lol

125. Rhino says:

Is either team gonna play defense today. geez.

126. ElephantRider says:

Where is this big time Philly D I’ve heard about? Getting destroyed by Hogan and Amendola? Wow

Seeing a free agent like Jenkins work out so well for the Eagles makes me angry

Why not us!

I am so tired of watching X Dolphins players excel in the Super Bowl for the New England Patriots

I rather see former Dolphin Jay Ajayi score a TD than former Dolphin Chris “7-11” Hogan. JUST SAYIN’…

Did any of these teams practice defense the past 2 weeks?

900 yards so far in this super bowl

132. Rhino says:

If I was Eagles…. I’d be running Blount over and over and letting him angrily wear down the Pats defense …. tire them out for the last part of the 4th.

The end around looks easy

Look at all that space

134. Rhino says:

OMG to the Eli and Odell commercial. LMAO that was funny

Just get 11 guys to start on D focus the talent on the offensive side of the ball

136. Rhino says:

Eagles need a defensive stand at some point. They won’t win a shoot out here in the 4th.

137. ElephantRider says:

Nice push off….arms fully extended….

My buddy just called this game the Carmello Anthony of football…lol

139. Rhino says:

HUGE first down

140. Rhino says:

WOW…. what a freaking gutsy call and execution of a 4th down play. DAMN

I SWEAR the Patsies* are stealing the Offensive play-calls from the Eagles, despite that 1st down.

142. Rhino says:

c’mon Eagles. My heart can’t take another Pats SB win. ahhhhhh. I hate even typing that.

Too bad Prof Lou isn’t watching his guy NICK FOLES having the game of his life!

144. Rhino says:

Tension is high!!! MF13 is posting and replying to himself repeatedly. LOL

145. Rhino says:

Ertz could be MVP

146. Rhino says:

He wasn’t catching!!! he was RUNNING you dumb fucks. then he broke the plane. Such an easy call.

147. ElephantRider says:

*field

148. Rhino says:

No SHIT…. lol

I can’t believe they called that a TD!!! And YES… it was the CORRECT call!!!

150. Rhino says:

oh damn. here we go. 2:21 to go… 5 pt difference. Brady to Gronk with :32 left, blah, blah, blah.

Didn’t look back and shoved the receiver. How is that not pass interference?

152. ElephantRider says:

DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE

HOLY SH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That might be the answer to our prayers!!!!!!!!!!

Finally some defense

156. ElephantRider says:

Fuck yeah!!!

Tuck Rule 2.0 coming up

158. Rhino says:

THERE IT IS!!

I’m really torn. I really don’t want Philly fans to have anything to celebrate.

160. Rhino says:

Brady can’t blow enough Refs to change that turnover. LMAO

161. Rhino says:

If they miss this field goal, I’m gonna hide in the bathroom for 30 minutes before looking at the tv again.

162. Rhino says:

The city of Philadelphia could be burnt down tonight, if they hold on. LOL

163. Rhino says:

Who the hell would be MVP for Philly…. rookie kicker? backup QB? Clement? no clear pick, imo.

Patricia is one creepy looking dude. I’d cross the street if I saw him coming.

Not that this has anything to do with the game. Just thought I’d share. 😂

GO 🦅

165. Rhino says:

Brady to refs: “wtf, don’t you know who I am… my wife is HOT, I know about the physics of psi, my coach worships satan… “

166. ElephantRider says:

Woooohooooooo

HELL YEAH!!!

Game over.

YES!!!! Great job Eagles!!!

170. ElephantRider says:

Now let’s hope they all turn on each other in Cheatriotville…….

171. Rhino says:

WOW. I feel dirty for watching a SB with the ONLY intention of cheering AGAINST a particular team. But… I will sleep better tonight. 🙂

Jay Ajayi MVP!!!

Your MVP? JAY AJAYI!!!

New blog up

It’s not about the super bowl

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!
    Jay Ajayi has a SUPER BOWL ring because he found a coach who knows how to rotate his running backs AND KEEP THEM ALL HAPPY!! –AND Miami doesn’t!
    —————-
    New England is now 5-5 in 10 Super Bowl appearances, including two “GIFTS” from Seattle and Atlanta. All of a sudden, the great “CHEATRIOTS” Dynasty doesn’t look so great.
    —————
    Nick Foles deserves the MVP in my book. And Pedersen out coached Belicheat!! THIS off season is going to have a different flavor to it. The Pats now look very beatable, tho’, perhaps, NOT in their own division.

LOL @ Mike

Ajayi MVP LOL

177. Rhino says:

I can’t believe all these guys are kissing the trophy during FLU SEASON lol

178. Rhino says:

MF13 is correct. MVP Foles

179. naplesfan2010 says:

ahhhhh yessssss
    Patsies* lose!!!!
    feel like i just got laid

wait …