2020 Running Back Prospects: Part Deux

Piggy Kiper here!  Excuse the muffled Oinks as I try to speak through this mask.

Today, I want to go a little deeper into the draft.  What happens if the Dolphins don’t take a running back early? Well the second tier of running backs is worth a look too.  The NFL is filled with productive running backs that aren’t early picks. There’s no reason to think 2020 will not have a productive day 3 pick. That may be the direction the Dolphins go after the Jordan Howard signing.  Or they make take more than one back in the draft.  All these picks are expected to go anywhere from late second round to the later rounds of Day 3.

AJ Dillon is one of my favorite backs to watch.  A throwback running back who looks for contact.  And why should’t he? At 6’0, 250 lbs, he is one of the biggest bruisers of this class. He’s a load to bring down and he knows it. Dillon is a classic downhill runner.

This of course comes with all the expected weaknesses of this type of runner. He’s not a great receiver and doesn’t have exceptional acceleration. But Dillon will move the pile if you need him to. And he does have the kind of balance and vision to break tackles and get some big runs.  I expect Dillon to be drafted in Day 3.

The polar opposite of Dillon is Arizona State’s Eno Benjamin.  Almost 50 pounds lighter than Dillon he is a more balanced running back.  Benjamin had 42 catches in 2019 and 82 in his career at Arizona State.  But don’t let that mislead you, Benjamin does not project as a 3rd down back.  He’s just a solid athletic low center of gravity runner who is always productive.  Why is he a day 3 pick?  Well not only is he a bit undersized, but he also doesn’t have break away speed.  He ran a 4.57 40 at the combine.

Eno Benjamin reminds me a lot of a running back we already have on our roster, Miles Gaskin, but with a lot less wear and tear.  And the one thing about him that is a real plus for this piggy, is that his name really lends itself to the conch….Enooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

That brings me to the most difficult running back this year to evaluate – Cam Akers.  You have to respect a running back who was still productive on
a really bad team with a really bad offensive line.  It kills this piggy to point out how bad FSU’s offensive line was – but it was, and what it lead to was a lot of hits behind the line of scrimmage on Akers runs.  Akers still managed to gain over 1,100 yards and averaged 5 yards a carry.  There’s been plenty of productive NFL running backs who played on bad college teams.  That may be what Akers becomes.  He’s has the physical ability, at 5’10, 217 pounds and he finished 5th among running backs in the 40 yard dash at the combine (4.47).

Cam Akers has all the skills.  In fact, if FSU was a little better this year, we might be talking about Akers as the best back in the draft now.  But he is such a tough evaluation because he suffered from a really bad offensive line at FSU.  His weaknesses are also notable fumbles and some poor pass protection – but take that with a grain of salt given how bad the FSU’s offensive line played in 2019.  I think Akers goes in the late second round or early third,  He’s probably the first guy taken off this list.

Back to the little guys – Maryland’s Anthony McFarland, Jr. (no relation to Booger as far as I know) is your prototypical running back that needs space to operate.  If you are looking for a running back that runs between the tackles…scroll up.  But don’t forget this running back who is more Reggie Bush than Earl Campbell. He’s small at 5’8 and under  200 pounds but one of the faster prospects, running a 4.44 at the combine.

McFarland was much more productive in 2018 than 2019.  In 2018 he had a very impressive game against Ohio State that opened a lot of eyes having multiple big runs.  And that’s where McFarland makes his money – on big runs.  He was actually underutilized at Maryland, so he doesn’t have a lot of wear and tear.  McFarland may give an NFL team a good change of pace runner and also a special teams contributor.

The bottom line is that there is so much depth in this draft at running back I may even be apple to do a Part 3!

From Bookman to all the FUers, Cheers! Stay safe and healthy!

242 Responses to 2020 Running Back Prospects: Part Deux

First ??

Woohoo

I’m sure we’ll draft a RB. No idea when though. I feel what we did in FA on defense we opened the door to focus on offense early. Obviously QB and OL are on the radar. But I can see us adding a RB for sure.

If we don’t use picks to rade up, I think we take 2

• manitobafinfan says:

Oh Suck it Up, we are trading 2 fists and a third to get Burrow 🤡 deal with it 😂

Let’s say we do the big trade up for a QB – two 1’s, a 2 and whatever in 2021. We’ll still have enough picks to draft two OL and two RBs and some defense along the way. Even after a big trade up sending high picks both this year and next year, we’ll still have a 1st and a 2nd and other picks in both drafts just like teams have most of the time. That’s what is so great about having all the picks we have.

Good part 2 Pigs … I saw I think one game of Dillon , once he got into open firld his speed actually surprised me, he was running away from guys chasing him …

Not sure if we want anymore “Conch” players… have any panned our ?

5. rich0322 says:

I do like a Akers & Dillon combo in the draft.

Nice write up Piggy

Nice take on it Pig. More than anything glad to know their is depth there. Cause after bringing in Howard thinking not too high up. Could see us doubling down in the middle with guys like these though.

It’s a very good year for RBs and that’s great for us. Laird, and Gaskins is a terrible combo for winning football.

They were never going to be the lead backs. But I thought both did a solid job down the stretch. Ironically we won more once they started playing more. 😉

I know people were enthusiastic about laird, but that was 2019

Gaskins probably just has too much wear and tear.

Personally I would love Howard and 2 rookies

I actually thought the little bit we saw of Gaskins looked promising

First of it’s Gaskin, no s at the end. LOL

To me Laird isn’t a pure RB but a guy who can play RB and also line up as a receiver in different ways. He has a knack for getting open and not going down during first contact. He’s a role player just like the Pats have been utilizing for years. He also plays STs. It’s not always about replacing players but upgrading and becoming a deeper team.

Sorry to read about your friend’s loss, Mike. 😦 Unfortunately this is probably just the beginning. When this thing is all said and done, we’ll likely all be affected by loss in one way or another.

Sorry to see the post about your friend’s father Mike. I was checking in to see how everyone is doing. Ken, I hope your brother and his wife recover quickly.

How is everyone else doing? I’m feeling like I’m living in a Stephen King novel.

Piggy yes leGaduu Nane, was who I was thinking of … and no I think Egnew was first , but still not a great conch among them

I keep forgetting about Jordan Howard… I really like him … Laird has some moments , Gaskin did not look horrible or great , either one can be greatly improved on via draft and also with OL additions..

So after 2 hours with Geek squad , can’t stream pics from Pc to TVs as they are too far apart. And apparently a wifi booster would not help … sorry for leaving ya’ll hanging like that 🤡

15. bailbondmike says:

The next great QB from the Manning family, Arch Manning. He started as a freshman on his HS football team last year. Kid has an arm for a 9th grader. Ole Miss, UT, LSU, and others are all ready stumbling over themselves for him.

• bailbondmike says:

Kind of my feeling about Tua.

Well, if the media is more in love with him than teams, which we don’t know at this time, then 1 guy saying this is less likely to be accurate.

Think about how reporters get their knowledge on prospects. They evaluate themselves or with their people or they get it from NFL people. We all know how much smoke is thrown out their by teams, so why is some hack lack this getting accurate info that others aren’t? Why would teams put out accurate info?

I hope it’s true, the last thing I want is to trade up for a QB.

16. bailbondmike says:

Tom Dempsey, legendary NFL kicker, dead after coronavirus bout at age 73.

17. dbolt48 says:

Nice write up Pig! I think Flores will want a physical RB which leads me to think Taylor, Akers, and Dillon might be their preferred backs. I think they’ll want to grind teams down w/ power running in the heat & humidity.

This prospect list might be my favorite write up, so great job Pig.

What I don’t get is why it matters how many miles a late day 3 pick has, so what if he isn’t resigned to a second contract. Miles to me means seasoned, ready to go. Gaskin looks a lot more ready to go than Laird, maybe he doesn’t have what it takes to play in the NFL, but he has the experience to run.

Like your list Piggy!

But why no love for Joshua Kelly?

Need a blocking TE?

While I love Swift, I really think we go with a 2nd round RB and maybe one of these later guys Piggy has shown. Good articles, Piggy!

Here’s my 2nd round RB!!!!!!!!

My biggest problem with Tannehill was 3rd and 8+ and my thoughts were, before the play, we’re going to be punting. I don’t feel that way with Fitz, more like gitter done I have confidence.

Watching Cin game now.

My thoughts were if it happened when we were on their side heading to score it was going to be a strip[ sack to end the game. That shit happened so many times.

D says:
    April 5, 2020 at 12:42 pm

Jesus, up another 50K since yesterday at 5:30, NY has 122k cases of our total 322K……

D says:
    April 5, 2020 at 12:44 pm

Looks like Joisey is catching the spill over, they are number 2 state now with almost 35k cases.
    D says:
    April 5, 2020 at 12:45 pm

You NE peeps need to stay the fuck indoors, this getting crazy up there. Specially you elderly types, *stares at Mikey*

NICE E-FART, — I MEAN “EFFORT,” Mr. Piggy. I’m thinking that 250 pound kid from Boston College may be JUST THE GUY to convert those 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 situations. Hope we can get him.
    ———————————
    GOT barely measurable RAIN today in Tampa Bay for the first time since mid-February!! It was about 1/100th or 2/100ths of an inch–but we got some to wet our parched lawns and empty streams.
    ————————
    The company I work for remains open. Management has split us up into TWO SHIFTS so that no more than 8 of us are on duty at any given time. “Social Distancing” is a snap, especially since we no longer take appointments from the general public during this corona situation. All of our business comes via the mail. And we’re getting lots and lots of mail. And, yes, the coin counterfeiters ARE OUT IN FORCE, trying to sell their illegal items to unsuspecting collectors!! Our government wouldn’t know a counterfeit if it bit them in the ASS, and that goes for the employees at the various U.S. mints as well! So our business is, in our opinion, vital to the numismatic hobby and the nation as a whole.
    ————————-
    WHERE do most of these bogus items come from?? On any given day, I’d estimate that AT LEAST 80 PER CENT OF THEM COME FROM CHINA!!! Last Friday I examined a package of 3 uncirculated U.S. Trade Dollars bearing the dates 1874-CC, 1875-CC and 1876-CC. They had lots of milk-white original luster. And, as a group, they would have been worth over $25,000 if genuine. All coins passed the weight and specific gravity tests. And the dimensions were perfect. However, their were minor mistakes by the die maker in terms of the specifics of the design. A couple of other “issues” convinced me that they absolutely, positively, were fake!! I’m quite sure the man who paid for these coins will get his refund, promptly OR ELSE!!! But, somewhere out there, somebody got fleeced out of a substantial amount of money. We are NOT, ourselves, able to prosecute these felons. Nor can we confiscate the fakes. But if the right prosecutor is contacted by the victim, action can be taken.

Unless the maker of these coins is somewhere overseas.

Disappointed not to see Ke’Shawn Vaughn on this writeup. Watch his tape and tell me you dont see physical one cut guy who attacks the defender like Ricky.

Lol Gesicki can’t get away from Fedgelum(sp).

D –

Well, I’m not working anymore, and I keep my distance from people when I shop. The only other time I go out is to play frisbee with my son or to take a walk down my street while keeping a safe distance from other people. I definitely have not been careless.

Good cause your old ass cant afford to get it. Be safe my friend!

Thanks D – I will try – You too! Just because you’re young doesn’t mean you can be carefree about this. Stay away from outside people!

After watching Cin game I can see why we went D heavy in FA.

The 3 games I’ve watched the O has moved up and down the field, even without a running game and pass blocking. Fitz should’ve been league MVP 😉

• New Age says:

He really should have. When you watch that NE game and we win with guys who wouldn’t even make other teams…it was awesome! Fitz was a huge part of that. As some said above, I never thought we were out of games in the 2nd half of the season. We were blown out by a terrible Giants team but every other game was within a few points.

30. fakeolddolfan says:

Great write-up Piggy.
    Now I like all these guys.

31. fakeolddolfan says:

Steve
    I’m glad to get Fejedelem. He can cover TEs, and he hits hard.

32. fakeolddolfan says:

It’s me Naples. Having some tech issues.

Read somewhere that they are about to call Marshall law for NYC. Never know what’s factual even on the big boy sites though

Ok looks like he is just activating the National Guard there, not martial law yet but that’s the stages just before it

Who was it OD always locked horns with, the guy who always called him a plagiarist

There is also a outside chance it’s M13 too sinces someone invoked him earlier lol

Where 2x? He is good at figuring these things out

Saw a guy in my building earlier and was like “what’s up with masks? They said don’t have’em before and now they say have’em.” Got a call from our front desk person an hour after to pick up an envelope. Had two masks inside. Good dude.

I believe it’s Naples

It was Naples. He was having technical issues

Naples – What kind of tech issues are you having? Perhaps I can help? More likely find someone who can help. LOL

Someone asked who it was that called OD a plagiarist wasn’t it Jetssuck?

If Naples was having technical difficulties how did he sign on with a new name and avi? LOL

Stanger is like RacerX from Speed racer

I think I was bookman and then for some reason had to re-do and ended up with bookman11. I am not tech savvy either lol

What do you think the odds are that we trade up for a QB?
    I’m leaning towards we will 70-30.

• rich0322 says:

If you asked me last week I would have said the odds were much greater we would trade up from #18 before #5, but now I think the odds are more equal. While there are always rumors flying around 2 weeks out, some of them do end up being true.

Yep! Remember when Suh was a FA and there were teams projected where he goes with rumors of Miami possibly being in the mix. Well we signed him.

Thinking about the draft capital we have, we can do it without depleting our next two drafts. That’s a rare opportunity.

LE Ogbah
    LDT Wilkins
    RDT Godchaux
    RE Lawson
    LB Van Noy
    LB Baker
    LB McMillan
    CB Howard
    CB Jones
    S Rowe
    S McCain

This base might look like a 4-3 but with how we move guys around it could be 3-4, 3-3 with Baker as a nickel or some other guys dropping in coverage while others stunt and blitz. This has the makeup of a much better defense than we had last year. I feel it’s being overlooked.

• rich0322 says:

Looks good, but I’m greedy. Let’s add a NT/DT and a safety in the draft too. 🙂

I was looking at that lineup thinking the same thing. The strength of this D is obviously going to CB and LB. S and DT are serviceable. If we can add a premier player on either the front or back end of the D, and another quality player on the other, this D could be top 5 good IMO.

Not sure the plan at NT or another S but we can play with this core for sure. Even though Fejedelem, Grugier-Hill and Roberts are considered more role/STs players, that adds to the depth of what this team can do. We have a depth of players who are good on defense.

• rich0322 says:

Yea, I’m thinking day 2 is a good spot for a safety. As for NT I really like Derrick Brown, but a guy like Davon Hamilton with pick #56 or pick #70 would be a good option too. That would leave the earlier picks for offense.

D, this is how I’m viewing it.
    LE Ogbah – potential to be a top edge guy
    LDT Wilkins – we haven’t seen the best of him yet
    RDT Godchaux – lunchpail interior DL who is always active
    RE Lawson – potential to be a top edge guy
    LB Van Noy – experienced and well coached multiple LB
    LB Baker – excellent athlete with good instincts on the rise
    LB McMillan – underrated on the rise
    CB Howard – when 100% he’s one of the best
    CB Jones – he’s the top paid corner in the league
    S Rowe – made a nice switch to safety and versatile
    S McCain – he’s a gamer when his shoulder isn’t separated

Of course you can always upgrade and I think we will draft another good defender somewhere in the draft. But we’re not void of talent. We need to figure out QB, OL and RB. Do that and we could be 12-4 next year. LOL

I think it likely we go offense heavy with multiple picks early in the draft or we trade up for Burrow, but even if we’re talking about upgrading those pieces in next year’s off season we’ve still got a really good core with no glaring weakness (although pass rush could potentially still be a question.)

This has been the most exciting off season in recent memory. Jones, Van Noy, Karras all mentioned Flores and the culture being built in Miami. We’ve been here so many times in the last 20 years, but this time genuinely feels so much different.

• rich0322 says:

Yea, I really love the Jones, Van Noy, and Lawson signings on the defensive side of the ball.

What about Emmanuel Ogbah? He might end up being the best signing of them all.

Ogbah (2016 2nd rd pick) who will be 27 in November has very impressive stats in a somewhat up and down 4 year career. Remember he played in CLE his first 3 seasons, lol. Then helped turn around the Chiefs defense down the stretch leading to a championship.

18 sacks, 40 QB hits, 154 tackles – 22 for loss, 3FF, 2FR, 20PD. That’s a productive player.

• rich0322 says:

Yea, him too. Lol.😉

Remember when Flores was being mentioned before we hired a new HC and many of us who knew nothing much about him were meh about him? We don’t know what people think about up and coming coaches within the NFL circle. Flores has already impressed a lot of people throughout the league. Many were shocked how he won 5 games with a depleted and ever changing roster. Now look at the defense which is where he starts as a coach. We’re much better, no denying it! LOL

49. rich0322 says:

As we get close to the draft, two guys that have really grown on me are OG/C Cushenberry III and safety Jeremy Chinn. I’m thinking both will go in round 2.

CBS with a cool music special. Country style right now

I want to see us draft a future QB, a C, OT and a RB that makes the team better. I’m really not concerned about defense in 2020.

• naplesfan2010 says:

You don’t think Karras is penciled in as our starting center?

• rich0322 says:

I think getting one of the tier 1 offensive tackles is very important. We might have to get ahead of Tampa and Denver to do it with our second 1st round pick.

It would be nice to get some DL…maybe a developmental type
      I think we can use a WR and a TE on day 3
      And of course more DBs

52. naplesfan2010 says:

That fakeolddolfan above was me.
    Hey I’m old, I’m a fan, and I’m fake, so I come by the name honestly.
    I did that name becuase
    Someities I am on a device which won’t log me on as Naples.
    The nerve of that machine.
    And back when we switched over to this site from Walker’s,
    we all had to modify our screen name,
    so I just put on the year 2010 onto naplesfan.
    That’s when stanger became stangerx, bookman added the 11, and rich changed his.

Was it that long ago? or was I just choosing an easy thing to type/remember.

Rich, Ogbah at 6-4 275 4.63/40 with really long arms 35.5 disrupts passing lanes. Lawson 6-3 270 4.7/40 32.75 arms resurrecting his career on the other side. Come on, man! LOL

Do you think one or both of them will play 5 technique in our 3-4 fronts?

I think they move around with our LBs and do all of it. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – it will be an aggressive “46” type defense. Two lockdown type corners, a deep safety and 8 in the box. You have know idea what they’re doing up front. That is what Belichick employed back in the mid 80’s with those great Giants defenses. It wasn’t a standard 3-4.

• rich0322 says:

I said him too above, Tim.😉

• rich0322 says:

I’m really a fan of all the defensive free agents. I think they have done a great job.

54. rich0322 says:

Just some thoughts…

I’m hoping one way or another we end up with a QB, OT, C/OG, RB, NT, and Safety in the first 2 days. That’s six players with our 6 picks.

I could see moving around too. For example, moving up from #18 and/or moving down from #26, leaving us with 3 2nd round picks instead of 3 1st rounders. …thus getting a QB and OT on day 1 and a RB, C/OG, NT, and S on day 2.

Being versatile is the key. That’s why I like guys like Jedrick Wills, Andrew Thomas, Lloyd Cushenberry III, and Cesar Ruiz on the OL. It’s also the reason why I like Jeremy Chinn at safety too.

Lol, what kind of GMing is that, trading a first for a 2nd🤔

• rich0322 says:

Lol, I didn’t give the whole trade. Just giving an example of moving down. We could get future picks, or get picks back if we trade up from #18. Just didn’t get into details.

How did Tim get Ogbah and Lawson to stay still to measure their arms? Why did he feel the need to do so? Questions that need answering . . .

SBJ – Now it is Trumps fault that we are so reliant on Chineses manufacturing. Journalism is dead.

57. bailbondmike says:

MikeE., I know I said I was going to do a blog article to set up our Mob Draft Board but I was running out of time and decided to just make a post and have people respond.

58. bailbondmike says:

2020 MOB Draft Big Board

The 2020 NFL Draft is sneaking up on us and it looks like it will not be postponed.

I am not sure about you but I know I am really excited about this draft. Much more excited than I have been about any draft in quite a long time. This excitement started generating last season by the way this team came together and finished the season. Then, the team followed that up with a stellar run in free agency. Now, we are headed into the 2020 NFL Draft with a hoard of draft picks.

I have always been a draft nut but I have never created my own big board or anything like that. I would just do 50 million mock drafts heading up to the draft listing my favorite players I hope we draft. Some, we did pick. Some, I wish we picked. Some, I am glad we didn’t pick cause I was wrong about them. LOL

I think it would be great to have a Blog Big Board. I have done my ranking of players at QB, RB, WR, TE, OT, IOL, Edge, DL, LB, CB and SS/FS. I will post my rankings by position (2 a day) first thing in the morning. No need for a new blog every morning. I will just make a post on the existing blog that morning. Look it over, then post the order you would rank them. If I left off a player you like, add them to your ranking. I will put everyone’s ranking for every position in a spreadsheet. I will then come up with a consensus blog ranking for each position and put that into a spreadsheet.

I will forward that excel document to MikeE. so he can email it out to everyone. Print off your Blog Big Board come draft day so you can cross off players as they are picked. Then, when we are on the clock, we can see who is left and argue about who we should select. Some will want to fill a need. Some will want to go BPA. I think there is no better year to do this than 2020. Not to mention we are cooped up in our homes for the rest of the month anyway.

Our main topics seem to revolve around QB and RB so that is where we will start first. Here are my rankings for QB and RB. Please give me yours or just tell me you are good with what I have. No need to repost. If you do repost with changes, make sure you let me know. I will give it a couple days before I come up with a consensus ranking so those who visit infrequently may participate or to give you time to look a player(s) up if you wish.

Some positions will have more players listed than other positions. Mainly because after a certain point, I would not care to draft any further down. We do have to remember that we need at least 250 players on our board.

QB

Michael Warren II, Cinn
    James Robinson, Ill State
    J.J. Taylor, AZ
    Sewo Olonilua, TCU
    Tony Jones Jr, ND
    Raymond Calais, LA Laffayette

I don’t believe I left any of the top rated players out of my ranking but did leave quite a few out at the bottom tier. Again, if there is a player you want added, please do. Write his name in all caps so I can spot it.

Let’s get ready to draft! Go Dolphins!!!!!!!!!!!

BBM — love the desire there. Wouldn’t make the process too complicated though. Might want to think about just putting out your information.

What if we trade the 5th pick to the Chargers, their coach wants a mobile QB, they pick Tua and we take Herbert?

Their 4th and 5th would be fair compensation.

I know it’s just one slot
        But it’s one slot for a particular player
        That is worth a higher pick
        In 2017 the bears traded their 3rd to get to the 2nd overall pick

They added the 67 and 111th pick and a 3rd rounder the following year

They traded a lot to move up and pick their QB (trubinsky)

It sounds crazy to me to give up that much but it’s an expensive trade if they want a particular QB

I don’t know that the chargers will give as much as the Bears
        But you should be able to squeeze a lot more than a 4th or 5th

We don’t need more picks
        But it wouldn’t be bad to acquire more picks so that they can be used to move up from 18 and get an OT

I personally like Herbert
        I prefer Tua

But I think Herbert will have a good nfl career if he has talent around him and is protected

BBMike

I don’t have as many players as you have. But I have the first few ranked

QB

Eno Benjamin, ASU
    AJ Dillon, BC
    Lamical Perrine, UF
    Joshua Kelly, UCLA
    Ke’Shawn Vaughn, Vandy
    Anthony McFarland, MD

I like your QB ranking, it fits mine pretty closely, at least 3/4 down. I probably have Morgan above Hurts or Stanley.

RB’s are pretty close too but id swap Dobbins and Helaire and id move Ke’Shawn Vaughn above Eno Benjamin.

If/when we do a Mock Draft, I have a feeling we’ll only get through the first RD. I guess we can go on to the 2nd but I have a feeling participation will fall off. That’s how it’s been for years. Especially if we trade a pick or 2 from the 2nd in a trade up, then it will be even more likely.

D, this is how I’m viewing it.
    LE Ogbah – potential to be a top edge guy
    LDT Wilkins – we haven’t seen the best of him yet
    RDT Godchaux – lunchpail interior DL who is always active
    RE Lawson – potential to be a top edge guy
    LB Van Noy – experienced and well coached multiple LB
    LB Baker – excellent athlete with good instincts on the rise
    LB McMillan – underrated on the rise
    CB Howard – when 100% he’s one of the best
    CB Jones – he’s the top paid corner in the league
    S Rowe – made a nice switch to safety and versatile
    S McCain – he’s a gamer when his shoulder isn’t separated

—————————————————————
    Yeah id throw Taco into the mix on the outside as well. I think he has potential, and Jenkins too, he looked really good last year. I think i have a hard time calling the DL backups as depth players, they are likely more rotational starters. They are strong enough to match the guys we have as starters, which is a very good thing.

I expect sacks to come, once the entire D gets better, especially with the 2 lockdowns on the corners and any resemblance of a run D.

Since both of our corners safeties and NCB’s are sticky types, id say there is a good chance of that. I hope we play a lot of press man/close man not this off man and zone shit that is a damn wet dream for quick hitting offenses, which most teams seem to have at least one guy who gets open quick. LB’s in zone, fine, but fuck this CB in zone just letting QB’s like Brady eat you alive.

I agree I hate the zone, but in 3rd and 4th and long I think its necessary, see 2nd qtr Pitt last year.

I agree with, Tim I believe it was that said, we’ll be seeing lots of 8 in the box. I’d like to add 8 in the box cover zero.

D pointed out that we have Van Winkle and Biegel too. Man, we are loaded with young guys who still have potential. You know how many guys there are on the roster older than 30?
    ONE
    the average age of the78 guys on our roster is 25.9 years old. The average years of experience is 3.43 years per player.
    Some of these guys are on an upward trend already. We can only hope that a substantial number of them show noticeable improvements as well as adding “better” players.

COACH ‘EM UP FLORES!

My question about the “Ranking” of the draft picks above is, how do you compare the 2nd best RB to the 5th best QB? What is the purpose or ordering the two groups (QB’s & RB’s)?

I think if you were to try to use the complied rankings you will have problems stacking the board. both horizontally and vertically when you add more position groups.

I don’t know how to do it, but perhaps a point rating system would work?

Probably a bit too complicated
      We are just amateurs here.

I agree, we need to have a big board too, not just rank by position. The position rank should be created from the big board. He said he wanted to do a blog big board, then proceeded to talk about positions, ADHD😉

What it looks like to kick a 77-yarder

I don’t get why people make a big deal about kicking that far off of a tee. I mean its roughly the same distance as a kickoff, and I’d bet every kicker in the league can make that kick. How many times have you seen a kickoff go thru?

Come’on steve…. it’s 77 yards. But what I like most about the vid was that it is from the kicker’s perspective. The networks don’t offer that. Hence the “What it looks like.”

Alright, it’s pretty cool Stanger, but only for you, because you’re Stanger.

stanger I am. Was given that name by some buddies in college. In law school told my friends what was called and they said “yeah you are stanger” and was again. Same thing happened on my men’s club rugby team in Richmond. On this place sorta forced it by choice of handle…. but guess was used to it at that point. 🙂

A lot of the draft guys do both a top 5 at a position and a overall big-board. One doesn’t preclude the other. Also most of the time each team has their own bog-board its not a everyone has the same one.

who is everyone’s number on on the big board then? Im going to say Young.

69. naplesfan2010 says:

D
    hate to tell ya, but Jenkins is an un re signed FA.
    He’s not on our roster.

Well only 30k more cases in past 27hours, thats a slow in the trend. It was hitting 8k an hour a couple days ago, like 3k an hour yesterday and now its just above 1k an hour.

It’s really hard to keep up with when the stats are updated, but it appears to be slowing, at least %wise.

My recorded stats show
      94,161 – 1435 deaths 3/27
      163,479 -3146 3/30
      188,713-3896 3/31
      213,010-4749 4/1
      238,063-5764 4/3
      351,890-10,377 4/6

I tried taking the numbers just after 1pm EDT daily.

D – I’d have to say Chase Young is the #1 prospect

It looks like the curve is starting to flatten for everyone and its a little ahead of China’s pace which im not even sure about their since the numbers haven’t changed at all for a while now. More like they just stopped reporting.

Did these words really come out of Piggy’s Trotters …. We don’t need more picks…..

• naplesfan2010 says:

LOL
      But seriously I think we need fewer picks.
      I’d like to pkg together lower picks to move up, like to get a higher 4th rounder even.
      With our native picks being high, we might be able to trade up a few spots and go from 3rd to 2nd or sometihing by throwing in some trash picks.

I mean how many rookie developmental projects do we need?

I must have been drunk

I was just throwing out a projected starting lineup on defense. Other players will rotate in and out for sure.

No i knew what ya were doing, i just added in those other guys to show that not only do we have a good group of starters we have really solid rotational players too, that i think will keep us fresh and having little drop off when they come in.

There was a conversation up the board about Center. Tim said he thought we needed one, along with other positions, and Naples asked if he didn’t have confidence in Karras.

Naples, Karras is only on a one year deal, so the FO doesn’t have all that much confidence either. Remember he was a starter for NE because the real starter got injured.

He is on a one year “show me” contract like Rowe was last season. We need to draft a potential starter to compete with him IMO.

• manitobafinfan says:

they may be planning on the Wisconsin guy from last year as a center.. he has experience… but obviously a position where ya can never have too many gooduns..

He’s on a one year show me because last year was his first as a starter and if he continues his up trend or doesn’t is in question, but i think they feel like he is a solid player or it would have been less than 3mil. Thats a decent offer for a guy in his position, so year they are kind of not ready to offer him big, but i dont think its one of those things where they feel he doesn’t have potential to be the starter. He is going to have to win it, and he is going to be in competition with a rookie my guess is, and what we offer him next year wholly depends on that battle. I think he is starter minimum of half this upcoming year, likely all of it and after that we will see.

Naples: he will likely change his tune once we sell our 2 firsts and a second for Burrow,, then let the adding picks begin again…

and at that note I will head home now.. 🙂

Don’t base a guys worth on his contract solely, contracts are 2-way, maybe Karras would rather have a 1 yr 3M instead of 3 yr 9M, betting on himself.

After the 3rd round we should maneuver our picks, move up 10-20 picks, or move back with 2021 picks included.

We aren’t taking 5 picks after the 5th and trading up to get a 2nd. Our 6 late picks are worth about 81 pts or a mid 4th.

D here’s some covid-19 stats.

My recorded stats show
    94,161 – 1435 deaths 3/27
    163,479 -3146 3/30
    188,713-3896 3/31
    213,010-4749 4/1
    238,063-5764 4/3
    351,890-10,377 4/6

I tried taking the numbers just after 1pm EDT daily.

I like the players they’ve signed thus far. Hard working guys. I’m excited to see how they add to it. I’d still like to see another good player on the DL, LB and S positions. On offense? WR may be the only corp that is solid. TE maybe? Otherwise, pick a position!
    ***
    I think we are in a rebuild phase and I’d like to see them keep their picks. But, as I’ve said before, with how the NFL is now, QB is the one position you make an exception for if you like a guy. It’s giving up a lot of good players. Guys who would, likely, be starters. That’s a big chunk of the core of your team in 3 years, more than likely. But hey…you’re in the top 5….if you like Burrow that much go get him. Actually getting a franchise QB can be huge for a team. The reward is high so the risk is high.

The thing is we can do a trade up for a QB and still have a normal draft this year and next year due to our extra picks. We can land the QB we covet and still upgrade other positions.

So it seems that the final draft picks have been updated. It’s changed over the last few months due to uncertainty with conditional picks with trades and comp picks. So this is what we have.
    1. 5, 18, 26
    2. 39, 56
    3. 70
    4. 141
    5. 153, 154, 173
    6. 185
    7. 227, 246, 251

So let’s say we did trade up to #1 for the QB of our dreams lol, and used 5, 18, 39 this year and a 1st and 2nd next year we still have plenty of picks to address other positions. I would not be surprised to see us use the 4-7 picks to move up into the 3-4 range to land prospects high on our board.

Here in nyc, we are about to start mass burials in parks

Piggy, say the draft played out something like this.
    1a. QB
    1b. OT
    2. RB
    3. C/G (trade 5th to move up for a guy we had a 2nd rd grade on)
    4. DL (trade 5th and 7th to move up for a guy we had a 3rd rd grade on)
    5. G/T
    6. TE
    7. DB
    7. WR

That’s 9 picks added to the 10 FAs we signed and then we’ll likely add a dozen UDFAs. We’re talking 30 new players competing for the 53. We all know that it doesn’t all go as planned with injuries, off-field/bizarre situations and being beaten out for a job. But the entire look of our team will be totally different from the 2019 team and should be much better.

85. naplesfan2010 says:

Karras wound up starting all but one game during the 2019 campaign — he sat out Week 14 with a knee injury — and played well in Andrews’ stead, allowing two sacks and 14 total pressures in 658 pass-blocking snaps, per PFF. Karras’ PFF grade this season was the fourth-highest among impending free agent centers,

Also, his uncle knocked a horse unconscious with one punch.

That’s exactly where I’m at We will never have the same level of capital and be in the same position to get our guy if available. As mentioned by a few, Tua should be available at #5 because of injury so the only reason to trade up is Burrow. I think he”s worth a king’s ransom if available and your scenario looks very good. Should be a very fun draft.

We have the firepower to overwhelm CIN. Three 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks the next two years and you only have to trade down to #5 this year. They still have the highest pick in every round. We can make this deal, but is that part of the plan?

Yep, so that one guy better work out because you’re giving up a lot of potential starters on a rebuilding team that needs them. It’s a risk. A risk lots of teams take. This team is rebuilding and those picks are extremely valuable. In those 4 or 5 you’re giving up, you might get a couple really impactful, long term starters on top of just potential starters. That’s building for long term success. But boy….if Burrow turns into a franchise guy….nobody will give a crap how many picks it took. Big IF.
    ***
    I say it all the time, the more picks you have the more chances you have to get a great player. It’s simple math…..and that’s all I can handle. Lol

The point I’ve been trying to make is we have the draft capital to make a deal like this and still have basically a traditional draft the next two years. We can take that risk without depleting much. You don’t have this opportunity very often.

We made Edge and CB not a concern in FA and I think LB and S is not a high priority either with adding Van Noy, Grugier-Hill and Roberts, and re-signing Adrian Colbert and adding Clayton Fejedelem.

Watched week 17 cheats game tonight. Van Noy was on full display, he plays smart and within the system, he doesn’t just go balls to the wall stat monger style.

He plays edge, ILB, rover – stunt/blitz which doesn’t mean he gets the stat, but someone else does. Flores getting him here is a huge statement besides money. LOL

I’d like to get a strong safety and move Bobby back to nickel. Playing 8 in the box we’ll need one. Jones in his prime would’ve been perfect.

I think Rowe, McCain, Colbert and Fejedelem will man those positions this year. We’re not going to be excellent at all positions in one year nor does it need to be to win.

A lot can be said for teamwork, doing your part and staying on script that can make a team play above what they look like on paper

FYI, Reshad Jones and T.J. McDonald are both FAs.

I expect Jones will have a team pretty soon after draft, if not before. TJ probably but not as likely.

Probably but no team jumping on them shows what value they have. They may not want to play for peanuts. I get it! But their big payday is gone.

91. Krishna says:

If Burrow is your guy you pay the price, but you never overpay….lol
    I have no idea what’s fair to go from 5 to 1, that’s a deal only 2 teams can evaluate for themselves.

If your evaluation is that the price is too high you walk away.

I have many times in life made this decision and many, most times it turns how for the better. Then, there’s football….lol.

92. Krishna says:

Testing, testing…..

The only way out of this sooner rather than later.

93. naplesfan2010 says:

Didn’t the patsies get Van Noy from Patricia in Detroit?
    Another of those chummy deals Bill somehow works.
    There Van Noy played for Flores.
    Now he’s here.
    hmmmm
    Your counclusions?

94. naplesfan2010 says:

Bats
    They are almost certain the corona virus comes from bats.
    They’ve got a lot of bats in China.
    Swine flu
    bird flu
    bat vlu
    jeez can’t the Chin clean up their wildlife?

96. naplesfan2010 says:

I concur with Steve on moving Bobby Mc back to Nickel. He’s a really good intuitive route buster up tight. He is like a second skin when on the mirror to a routen but he does not do as well deep and trying t decide which WR to go double and he took some bad angles as the last man, too.

Fejedelem (I think they pronounce it fedge uh lum) might be a diamond in the rough who emerges for us, but he needs better game plans / film study than he had in Cleveland, which he WILL get here.

97. Krishna says:

It’s the wet markets where bats, dogs, etc are open to species to species transmission. There are wet markets here, as well. Terrible lack of sanitation especially with
    global access.

Testing, testing…..looking back only works if you learn from the past.

• pheloniusphish says:

I’ve never seen a wet market here in the U.S. Fisk markets yes. I’ve seen them in Asia and Africa. Lesser versions in Central America. Never in the States. Where have you seen one? Not saying it isn’t so, just curious where that would be allowed.

• Krishna says:

Full disclosure, I’m not sure I’ve seen it. I’ve been in a ton of open/street markets, certainly seen fish. I can’t say for certain, but some game, too. I have read this in paper and internet and seen on cable news. Fake news? I don’t think so as this country is a melting pot of cultures and what’s possible. I believe Fauci has been quoted on this, too.

98. naplesfan2010 says:

I don’t know what position Rowe evolved into last year for us, but whatever it was, he should do it again.He was like CB3 or a shutdown safety or “Permanent dime back”

Whatever it was choked off a complete chunk of opposing QBs progressions. We became extremely suffocating and frustrating for teams to find an open man on their second read due to Rowe’s play. and the scheme.

Rowe evolved into a pretty good safety. That’s where he was at the end of the season and it looks like that might be his place for good.

I think Needham will challenge for starting nickel back (not the band). He coached up nicely by the end of last year.

This one kills me. In preseason he seemed to play the entire game, but couldn’t get out of his own way. I wanted him gone big time, but Flores must’ve seen something, now look at him. Dude must have a memory of a bird, a lesser man would’ve quit himself.

100. Krishna says:

101. Krishna says:

Sorry, not sure how I double posted. I’m sure reading me once is enough.

Watching Tua on espnU right now

Yesterday I was watching Herbert

I guess they are replaying old games with some of the big prospects

The cheats had an injury prone Gronk, and seemed to have some dry spells, when he was out, but mostly unbeatable with him playing.

Would you take Tua, knowing he’s going to miss the end of several seasons and likely have a short career (10 years), if the seasons he played were top 5 QB play?

105. bailbondmike says:

Looks like we will have to bag the big board idea. Info is on my computer at home. I had to leave town yesterday for San Antonio in the “Spurs” of a moment. We are tracking down someone who skipped on a 10K bond. Got a warrant to track his phone and believe he is still here in San Antonio. Not, using his phone in last 2 days though. The work truck he stole was found outside of Houston. We are checking motels in eastern San Antonio. Have local police on standby and US Marshals office is assisting as we believe he is armed. His ex-girlfriend reported that he stole her fathers guns. What an idiot. He was bonded out for a violation of probation and was facing a year in county jail but had 7 months credit for time served on the case. He was looking at 5 months in jail and probably would get released after 4 months. Now, he already has 2 felony warrants, one for grand theft auto, the other for grand theft of firearm (2 counts) and possession of a weapon by a convicted felon (2 counts).
    Anyway, I may be stuck here a couple days. I am just glad that the # of virus cases are not real bad. Sucks to be in San Antonio and have the river walk shut down. lol

😉