2021 Position outlook – RB

If our WR corps is a little on the high side salary cap wise at the moment, especially considering who’s on our roster, our RB room is on the cheap. At the moment, no Dolphins RB is at a $1M salary or higher. Myles Gaskin, Patrick Laird and Salvon Ahmed are the only RB’s under contract now and add up to a stingy $2.5M. I expect that to change when the draft rolls around. I think after watching all of our backs it’s easy to realize that really none of them are a true bellcow RB or what could be considered a #1. I liked what I saw out of Myles Gaskin and Salvon Ahmed, they both showed the ability to run the ball and catch the ball and do good things catching the ball out of the backfield (Myles Gaskin moreso than Ahmed) but neither guy proved capable of pushing the pile or creating after contact yards. I saw way too many times first contact and down. We need a RB that’s both more elusive and also more powerful that can break that first tackle which many times leads to big gains.

A RB that can catch the ball and then make things happen after the catch can be a QB’s best friend. I think Najee Harris fits that role best as he is probably the best receiving RB, and he has the size (6’2 230) to and skills to be an every down back. Travis Etienne is a very good RB, maybe the highest ranked pure running back. He broke more tackles than any other back in college and has a lot of long runs to his credit. Etienne is more of a traditional sized RB (5’10 205). Etienne had 43 runs of 20 yards or more, that’s the kind of explosiveness the Dolphins backfield could use. There are plenty of RB’s who would improve the quality of our backfield, but I think it’s time we really invested in getting a premier talent. Running backs have been devalued to a point in the NFL where they are rarely early to mid 1st RD picks, but I think there’s a good chance we could lose Najee Harris if we don’t take him at #18. Of course we could trade back either from #3 or from #18 and have a shot at him but I don’t think it’s likely he makes it to #36. The Chiefs took the first RB off the board last year at #32 (Clyde Edwards Helaire), and the guy I thought we would be the first back taken, D’Andre Swift was taken at #35. Another good choice for us would be Javonte Williams from NC. He’s a physical downhill runner with good size and speed 5’10 220.

Here’s what our RB’s did in 2020

Myles Gaskin – 142 carries – 584 yards – 3 TD’s / 41 receptions – 388 yards – 2 TD’s

Salvon Ahmed – 75 carries – 319 yards – 3 TD’s / 11 receptions – 61 yards – 0 TD’s

Patrick Laird – 13 carries – 72 yards – 0 TD’s / 10 receptions – 68 yards – 0 TD’s

We also had Matt Breida last season who gave us minimal production, despite most of us expecting him to be the change of pace and 3rd down back. We also got a little production from DeAndre Washington who is also not under contract in 2021. It’s clear we need to upgrade the talent in our backfield, so will 2021 be the year we go RB early? It’s difficult to say. I wouldn’t be surprised if they look for to upgrade the trenches in some fashion, either an OL, DL or even a playmaking LB or a CB. I’m going to hate to see Patrick Surtain II in another NFL uniform, but after drafting Noah Igbinoghene at #30 last year, I can’t imagine we would spend another first RD pick on a CB.

I don’t think there was DC that played our team that was overly concerned about our rushing attack. Nothing helps a QB more than a reliable, effective rushing attack. Proof of this is available from our own 2016 season with Ryan Tannehill and then any season while playing for the Tennessee Titans. Tannehill went from a run of the mill QB to a top 10 QB. I think we should do everything we can to help Tua become a better QB, so draft the best WR and RB in this draft and that’s a good start to getting him in that direction.

GO DOLPHINS 2021!!!

1,255 Responses to 2021 Position outlook – RB

First!

2. bailbondmike says:

BBM how do you account for the 5 yard difference in YPC then?
    ————————————
    Rock, don’t read to much into me. Call it homerism. Mid way through the 2019 college football season I wanted us to draft DeVonta Smith because I thought he was better than Jeudy or Ruggs. Everyone kept shoving Jeudy back in my face. Then, Smith opted to return to Alabama so it was a moot point. Though, I knew from the start of the 2020 season, I wanted us to get Smith in the 2021 draft. I want to see what Chase runs at the combine. He may not be a faster Parker. Parker ran a 4.45 but don’t think we have seen much of that 4.45 on the field unfortunately.

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU, Mike E. I’d be happy with either Harris or Barmore at #18, but, in my view, Harris fills a bigger need AND he brings THE SIZE (230 lbs.) we need to convert those 3rd and 1 situations on a consistent basis. These conversions keep drives going AND they keep our defense on the sidelines where they can rest up and NOT get worn down as they were in the game at Buffalo.
    ———————
    Mrs. OD says “I feel better today!” It literally has been WEEKS since she’s said that. I’ve still got at least another week to go, then I plan on taking another test. Looking forward to getting back to work!

Glad to hear you and the Mrs are on the upswing!

5. good to hear OD

Mike, i dont understand why Breida did not get more carries, he averaged 4.3 per carry, same as Ahmed 4,3, and he did better than Gaskins 4.1

I’d guess the other guys were working harder and bringing more effort in practice.. Breida hardly got any carries so he was probably in Flores’ doghouse. At least he got more action than Jordan Howard. 😂

No consistency, he ran good one game, I think it was against the Cheats, the rest of the time he was mostly garbage, so the coaches had no faith in him.

He didn’t do much with the carries he had and his skillset is one that the expectation is he breaks a big one and doesn’t need that many carries to do it

I think he’s one of those guys you know won’t pick up yardage consistently but will pick up chunk yardage on very few carries

The problem was we never wore down defenses for him to exploit his skills
      So we didn’t see him get that chunk yardage

i think the vision was for Howard to wear the defense down, then watch breida hit a whole

But that never happened

Gaskin sort of filled in for what Howard should have been doing. I think the opportunities that Gaskin and Ahmed got were much different late I the year than the opportunities breida received early in the year. They were getting carries a catches and playing All three downs

I don’t think we ever used a breida that way

Did i mention that Tua Sucks?

maybe we could trade Tua to the Chiefs for Chad Henne, we could also give them a 2nd rnder to make the deal go thru.

BBMike

If you ask me, Chase is more Landry than Parker

I keep seeing him compared to WRs like Steve Smith or Aquanaut Boldin
    Obviously he doesn’t have the size or Boldin and has much more than Smith
    But the feedback I hear is that he’s a physical WR
    And I don’t see Parker that way

9. bailbondmike says:

Good write Mike!

IMO, Etienne is not a push the pile RB. I do see him as RB2 in this draft but don’t see him as what we need. He has the speed to take it to the house but we we need that bell cow. With that said, it is Najee Harris, 6’2 230, or Javonte Williams, 5’10 220, for me.

Also, I don’t believe (due to his explosiveness) Etienne was used much in pass pro. That is another area where Harris and Williams are good at.

For someone to be known as a homerun threat, Etienne only had 1 carry over 29 yards over the entire regular season and then a 44 yarder vs ND in the playoffs. Only had 3 games over 100 yards rushing last season including playoffs (out 12 games). Many of you are not stats people but his rushing #’s really dropped off from 2019 to 2020.

Javonte Williams had 6 games over 100 yards out of 11 and he split time 50/50 in the backfield with Michael Carter.

Travis Etienne WAS the leader in broken/forced missed tackles in 2019 but that title went Javonte Williams in 2020.

Per PFF, “Javonte Williams had one of the most productive years we have ever seen at the position, and he came away with the highest rushing grade of the PFF College era (95.9).” He set a PFF college record for broken tackles per rushing attempt in 2020. He also lead all backs in the percentage of runs that picked up a gain of 10 or more yards (26.8%). “The balance Williams possesses is extraordinary. Despite ranking 19th in the FBS in carries, Williams racked up four more runs that included 10 or more yards after contact than anyone in the country (23).”

Harris and Williams are both downhill runners and had less than half the negative yardage as Etienne. Harris was the best in that category.

IMO, Etienne is a bigger receiving threat as a RB than he is as a rusher. Etienne averaged 12.3 yards per catch, Williams 12.2 and Harris 9.9. I want the better rushers who are good receivers as well.

Is it official that there will be no NFL combine this year?

11. bailbondmike says:

Many college players who are #1 or 2 at their position heading into the draft usually don’t go to the Senior Bowl. I find it vary interesting that both DeVonta Smith and Najee Harris both accepted their invites. Can’t tell me it is just a coincidence that the team who drafted their QB last year just happens to coaching one of the teams at the Senior Bowl. Something tells me both want to come to Miami.

Davonte Smith was the best college Wr I’ve ever seen, but I don’t think he translates to the NFL. His narrow frame won’t last and he’ll have trouble getting off the LOS, and his speed was good for the NCAA, but won’t cut it in the NFL,so what made him great in college won’t translate, because he won’t get open.

Interesting and low risk move for the Steelers. I don’t think they believe in Rudolph and will be willing to give Haskins a chance to show them something to earn a contract. Good move for both team and player

Oh man! We might lose Son to the Steelers now! With both Haskins and Rudolph how can he resist? LOL

Steve – The NFL is so far from a being a physical league. I’m not worried about DeVonta Smith’s size. So few teams press well or even play press coverage. You don’t need to be big to be elusive.

Until a rail thin guy gets cracked a few times, then the alligator arms set in and he’s done.

• ocalarob says:

I agree after all look at Ted Ginn & Tavon Austin, Smith is too light and you don’t spend the #3 overall pick on a type player you can get later on, you either draft a unicorn there or get out.

• ElephantRider says:

I already said this awhile ago….get the chick-fil-a guy to handle it. Only thing that would slow it down would be waiting for more doses.

they can carve both Tua & Smiths Busts, in the hall of fame Busts!

If this F.O. swings and misses again i fear it will be curtains for Flores!

Players come in all shapes and sizes. Most of them learn to play to their strengths. I find it hard to believe that Mr. Smith, for example, isn’t aware of his size and how he needs to play because of it. He’s been doing it for years. It’s kinda dumb to think he doesn’t know how to play within his physical abilities. Plus, he will probably get bigger as he grows and participates in an NFL program. It’s not like the guy is 5’5”, 135 pounds. He’ll probably end up around 6’1” and 185 pounds or so. That’s just fine.
    ***
    Someone mentioned Marvin Harrison a few days ago, and I think that is a great example of someone who was slight of build but knew how to play within his physical limits…back when football was actually physical. He knew how to run routes utilizing his specific talents. There are lots of ways to beat press or tight coverage schematically so that’s not a problem. Smith will be fine.

Thanks Randy for sensible discussion. Marquis Brown is 5’9 170, and he’s played in more games than DeVante Parker 6’3 215. Size isn’t important if you’re a great player and know how to play the game.

Miss out on the Marvin Harris cuz Rob said so?
    (not saying he will be Harris! But he could be!)

I remember well when Jeff Ireland and Parcells was here and were going with all these “big” size prototypes in every draft – Guess what? Our team was slow as shit and we sucked! 12 years later, the league has changed and speed kills.

BTW – How long did Ted Ginn last in the NFL??? DeVonta Smith is a much more talented receiver than Ginn ever had a chance to be.

They wanted big and fast.

• ocalarob says:

You’re speculating, you don’t know that for sure, no one does, play the odds, it’s way more likely that Smith becomes sub par in the NFL just like Ginn.

he won’t be able to beat an NFL CB off the line, same as Ginn.

He’s a little bitch.

on the other hand taking the tackle at 3 you are more likely to hit a home run. if you can’t do that you trade back and get more early picks.

I don’t see a huge drop off in talent in this draft, there’s no Chase young.

out of the 3 scenarios Smith lags way behind.

no way i draft a 170lbs wr with the 3rd overall pick!

what’s this obsession with Ala skilled players, you want to draft Ala players you draft the LOS.

I would think that move would seal Flores & Griers fate.

I think Grier is blowing smoke up everyone’s ass with this interest in Smith, if he takes him it shouldn’t be at #3

20. Grant is small but plays almost every week
    Parker and Williams are big, but injured most of the time

injuries have nothing to do with size,

the argument that Smith is injury prone due to his size is unproven, and ignores the WR’s in Miami completely

Mike Ted Ginn turned out OK when he had Drew Brees throwing to him. overall thruout his career i think he was very subpar as an NFL WR. he had his moments but very seldom.

LOL @ little bitch. C’mon Rob, he might end up being one of the best WR’s in the league.

Ginn didn’t have the talent Smith has, he was just fast as hell, and the Dolphins fell in love with his PR/KR ability too. He was never a dominant receiver in college

get a big offensive line that can create a push, get a big uphill RB, skilled players are a dime a dozen.

Steve – If they wanted big and fast, why did they draft big and slow?

24. Orob, thats just being stupid on purpose, Henry Ford , SMH

just admit u dont like him, no need to lie about it
    Henry Ford did not win the heismann, and did not win a national championship, u KNOw that

• ocalarob says:

I’m being stupid? gee i thought you were but i bit my tongue. when did i say i thought Ford was better than Smith?
      _________________________________
      David C (@DolphinsSB52) says:
      January 21, 2021 at 5:22 pm
      so You think Isaiah Ford is just as good as Devonta Smith

January 21, 2021 at 5:22 pm
    ___________________________________________-
    you have seen what Ginn can do in the NFL, the jury is still out on Smith, so saying he’s better is speculation.
    what made Ginn not a good wr was he got jammed at the line, he was man handled because he was 170lbs, he had great speed but that did no good if a CB raps you up. NFL QBs don’t have the time to wait for a 170lbs wr to get by an elite cb.

• your opinion on smith is worthless, because of your claim henry ford is better

Nah man, he just didn’t have the hands and ability that Smith has. It’s also an attitude. Smith had 20 TD’s in the best conference in college ball. Ginn never had double digits in college. It was a bad reach, because Ginn was never considered a top WR in that draft. Snith universally is, but some feel Ja’Marr Chase is on his level too. That 2007 draft class was a bad WR class besides Megatron

26. let me ask You this Orob, If Grier and Flores draft Smith, are You going to claim You know better than them?

then go apply for a job, let us Know what Ross says,,,

27. bailbondmike says:

From one draft sites (the last comment says it all):
    “There’s a near-unfathomable level of persistence and detail that goes into transcending physical limitations. If a player doesn’t have elite athleticism or size to fall on, they then must cultivate their own advantages. This is what Alabama wide receiver DeVonta Smith has done.”
    “DeVonta Smith is such a fun player to watch. That’s not because he dominates with size or speed. He’s just good. Period. Smith is indeed undersized at the wide receiver position. He has enough length to extend for catches, but at 175 pounds, he’s inherently underweight. Predictably, that’s where most of Smith’s issues arise. He can struggle to fight through contact at times, and bigger, stronger defenders can muscle him when he doesn’t have leverage.”
    “With that being said, Smith does everything he can to mitigate that concern. With any other prospect, that weight would be a massive red flag, but Smith’s playing style makes it almost irrelevant. Smith is incredibly detail-oriented at every level of the rep, and this helps him win, regardless of opposition.”
    “Off the line, Smith has good explosiveness, and he’s also incredibly proactive in using subtle, brisk movements to confuse defenders. Approaching his stem, Smith again has the ability to employ quick head and shoulder fakes to feign his intentions, and his jittery style allows him to keep defenders on their toes. Smith’s savvy as a route runner is what generates most of his separation, and at the catch point, he caps off the process with nice body control and rock-solid hands.”
    “What separates him is his high football IQ, toughness, diligence, and microscopic attention to detail. Those are the traits a prospect needs to perform beyond their limitations, and Smith fulfills that requirement.”

• ocalarob says:

and all that may be correct, the bottom line is you don’t draft a wr at #3 unless he’s a physical freak like a calvin Johnson, andre Johnson or even a Julio jones, and even then i would pause. i want a pass rusher or a LT at that spot or i trade back.

him being undersize is a major red flag.

MikeE,
    It’s a benefit of not being very bright. I like simple. Lol
    ***
    Our conversations around here get pretty far into the weeds sometimes. Football just isn’t that complicated.

29. Flores says Tua is the starting QB

Orob says he sucks and wants to install henry fords corpse to fix everything, as long as he can get an OL

im going with Flores judgement on this one

The problem with Ginn was that he was fast but not quick. He was a long strider. He didn’t have quick feet and couldn’t move laterally well, or get in and out of his breaks quickly. I don’t know enough about Smith to comment on him, but 6’1″ 175 @ 22yo doesn’t stay 175. Just becoming a man will put weight on his bones without an NFL weight program.

• ocalarob says:

putting on weight will make him less allusive and slower.

now you have the crystal ball you claim others don’t? That is not necessarily true. At 22 he hasn’t even stopped growing. He COULD (I don’t know either) put on 10-15 pounds of muscle without appreciably decreasing his speed. Besides, from what I am reading his game is not his speed, but his route running and savvy-ness

• ocalarob says:

The red flags are flying high with his weight, having read about that, becoming slower and less allusive is the issue with solving the problem of being so light.

or so i read,

31. bailbondmike says:

I gues that was to much reading. But here is another comment.

“A polished route-runner, he has a well-developed understanding of how to create separation and he also contains a diverse release package when facing challenges at the line of scrimmage.”

That’s it i’m outta here, if they draft Smith they will be right behind Gase out the door, a one season wonder, hell at least Gase made the playoffs

Just draft Sewell, and we can all stop the madness.

I found where smith ran a 4.49 in ’17 so he’s not a “burner”

NastraDumbass

Anybody a boat expert? Capt. Stubbs around?

Mike E posts an article about running backs and we decide to discuss receivers. LOL

All that said I think they take Waddle.

39. Krishna says:

Thank you, Mike E.

For me:

RB: Harris, at 18 is ok. I think with his size and skills, he’s any an every down back. Don’t you want that on your tean?

WR: We definitely need an upgrade. I wouldn’t take Smith at 3.

You left out OL starter as needs in draft. I don’t care where just better than what we have.

Also, at three don’t you pick a sure thing. Shouldn’t it be a sure thing? We could use LB, DL, too. I haven’t looked anyone’s draft grades, but 3 should be immediate starter and more.

Phel, I’m not a boat expert, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Can we fact-check this?
    Is it confirmed Henry Ford never won a Heisman?

Good write, Mike!

CONGRATS to MR. Dan Campbell, new HC of the Detroit Lions! It’s his first HC gig and I wish him luck. His intro presser is below (begins @ 21:57 into the video). He’s come a long way since his days as a TE coach under Tony Sparano (RIP)…

Kong – You want to keep those boat disc brakes well lubricated. The water is so dry right now.

I was gonna mention the other day: I wasn’t trying to rip your idea of drafting Harris. He’s a good player. I don’t think he’s a great prospect, but he’s good. I just don’t like drafting RBs in the first round anymore. 20 years ago, absolutely. Now, it doesn’t make as much sense. A topflight WR is more valuable in today’s NFL with how the game is called.
    ***
    If they do draft Harris, that’s fine. I’ll be happy to have him. He adds to the high end talent on the team and would definitely be a nice addition to this offense. I just prefer to go a different way. Bottom line is we’ll be getting a really good prospect somewhere! I’d draft Sewell, if he’s there, and then the best WR at #18 unless there’d been a huge run on them and there was better value at, say, DE.

Not sure what you mean about “I wasn’t trying to rip your idea of drafting Harris.” I don’t own his projection. LOL

Harris is a great receiver. That’s what separates him for me. He’s like a TE at times. I see at least a 1,000 yard rusher and a 500 yard receiver. TDs may vary but 10+ seems realistic.

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 3: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon (A)
    Round 1 Pick 18: Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 4: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 18: Patrick Jones, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 17: Alec Lindstrom, C/OG, Boston College (A)
    Round 4 Pick 18: KJ Britt, ILB/OLB, Auburn (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 23: Braydon Johnson, WR, Oklahoma State (A+)

Penei has played RT in the past, so he could become the elite blind-side protector of Tua, keeping young Austin Jackson at LT.

I would rather trade back than take an OT!
        But I don’t want out of the top 8!
        Unless you get next years first from someone!!!

LOL! Well don’t yell at me for YOU posting your mock draft! 😉
        I agree, Wyoming.

So say we draft Sewell. Do you trade Flowers because you have Robert Hunt at RG, do you leave Kindley on the bench? I really like Kindley

I think Flowers was a poor signing. Dude should be playing RG, but we already have two RGs who are younger and better. I’d look to sign or draft a future LG who can pull… JMO, bud.

Disagree, Flowers played well at LG until he got banged up late in the season. He’s not a tackle but inside at guard he mauls people.

I find Flowers to be replaceable at this point with the rooks we brought in, that’s all.

Robert Hunt is also a young RT who earned his way into the lineup playing both RT and RG. Patience guys – he was a 2nd round pick. This team needs playmakers on offense. Guys who make special plays. We block well enough for that to happen.

The Sewell pick is usually more about the quality of player Sewell is than our needs

We can probably get better on the OL

But I agree – we need playmakers badly

After drafting two tackles in the 1st and 2nd in 2020 we just move on and do it again at #3? If we do Sewell better be Anthony Muñoz level.

Some people are suggesting he’s one of the best prospects they have seen at OT in about a decade

So some people are grading him very high

People do get really excited at draft time
        Trevor Lawrence is the next Peyton Manning and Sewell is the next Orlando Pace if you believe the hype….lol

There’s room for us to spend an early pick on a position that’s not a playmaker, so I’m okay with it, but I’m more sure we need to invest in OL early in this draft

Some of those trades are so crazy.,. Very few of them are for QBs. But memorable makes like a Kennedy, Hearst and Springs

The redksins gave up two first rounders to take an OL – that’s odd

January 21, 2021 at 9:44 pm
    ————
    You know I agree!

I could be a total d!ck and disagree with anyone who disagrees with me, but I find it more interesting to explore the possibilities. For instance, Penei really could be an incredible blind-side protector for Tua.

Doesn’t mean I want Penei @ R1P3, just talking aloud about the possibilities, that’s all.

Tim, for the sake of clarity, I’m NOT calling anybody (especially you) a d!ck. I’m saying that I’m open to any and all possibilities, as opposed to ME being a total d!ck!

I would put Sewell at LT, Jackson at RT, Kindley at RG an put Hunt at LG. I just wasn’t all that thrilled with him at RT. I think he’d still be best suited to move inside to guard, so he doesn’t get so exposed. Kindley also struggled at RG at times. He struggled to recognize twists and adjust to motion across his face. Both were rookies, so they certainly have time to get better. Draft Linderbaum at Center next year, and you could have a really nice OL.

they kept continuity by promoting the assistant OL coach to OL coach, but I’m not sure if that is a good thing yet. We have had all the big names come through here to try and turn this line around and it has been a mess forever. Tons for first’s 2nd’s & 3rds thrown away on linemen who didn’t cut it here, Maybe this young assistant will be the one;

He might be like Josh Boyer stepping up into the DC position.

How do you do that from a far not being on the practice field and watching these guys work on fundamentals etc.? I don’t care where they play but we have bigger and more physical players on the OL compared to the smaller zone guys of the past. We implemented 3 rookies into the lineup all season. Can any of this rebuild actually happen without one and done type comments? It’s getting fuckin nuts!

I’m so glad Grier and Flores are so grounded. They don’t pay much attention to the outside noise and I don’t think Tua does either. He has his own improvements he wants to make regardless of what the outside noise is saying.

For some reason I feel like the media overall always wants to put a black cloud over this team. I don’t get it.

I’ll take 15-10 over the last 25 games. We’re still building folks. Look at our draft capital without FA even being a big deal. Why the negative view of things?

Randy, this was not all directed at you except for the first few comments. What I ranted about is this constant criticism of this team as they get better. Oh right we’re still 3 years away. I wouldn’t be shocked if we won the Super Bowl next year. 🙂

M13, not sure we’re you’re going with the dick comments. I didn’t view it like that at all. No worries from me.

Good! I didn’t want my comments to be taken out of context, as they often are. I’m trying to keep a very open-mind with our 2021 Draft potential.

Sewell is supposed to be one of those generational players. I’m not so sure that’s true, but he’s well worth a #3 pick.

Everybody likes to say; “It all starts up front.” until it’s time to actually build the line with high picks….then it’s all about the “skill” players. The fatties get no love! Lol

And, I actually don’t think they’d draft him…but I can wish.

It feels like every time the experts are talking up an OT to a top 5 pick he’s a “generational talent”.

Sewell would be a great pick, regardless. Don’t know that we necessarily need him, but he’s a STUD, through and through. Seems to me that he’s going to be a perennial Pro-Bowler, but that’s just me.

He might be great but is he a no-brainer BPA? I still like Micah Parsons a lot. In our flex defense I see him making plays all over the place. He’s not just a MLB/ILB. That’s how I view Najee Harris, he’s a multiple too.

That said… we don’t draft either and move on. LOL

DE Ogbah
    NT Davis
    DE Wilkins
    OLB Van Noy/Van Ginkel,Lawson(DE)
    ILB Baker and Parsons (they both play multiple)

I really think Parsons takes the front 7 and the defense overall to another level.

It sounds like you have quite the man crush on parsons…lol

I actually think you nailed it on the head in terms of what somenone like that can do for our front 7
      Maybe some one like Ossai can be had a little later and can also perform the same function

I have a question about NT though – do you think Davis is a long term solution at NT. He played well last season but I didn’t really think when we drafted him he would be a Nt

Well Davis played NT a lot for us and made the all rookie team so I’d ask why wouldn’t he be our NT long term?

I think Flores will take priority over his defense vs offense when it comes to FA’cy and the draft, but drafting an ILB that early is not good.

trade back and take an OL at about #10, there will be some good ones available and we could get a nice haul for #3 with QB hungry teams

55. bailbondmike says:

Re: Devonta Smith
    “He understands how to set up defenders and can sink his weight at the top of the route to efficiently get in/out of his breaks.”
    —————————————–
    This is why I like DeVonta Smith so much. He has mastered this. This is what I always taught when I was a volunteer at Richlands HS and for the semi-pro team in Jacksonville. It was how I was taught. It does not matter how fast you are. It’s all about setting up the defender covering you. Getting them off balance or to lean the wrong way then accelerate out of your break. This is something Jarvis Landry is good at also and he is almost a whole second slower than Smith.

There may be 1 player worth that #3 pick in this draft, problem is he will never reach #3, no other player in this draft is worth taking at #3.
    there are teams out there salivating over a player they could take at #3 and may give back a lot of draft capital.
    you have to weigh the difference over 1 good player vs multiple good players,

The Mega Millions lottery drawing for tonight is for 970 million, I could almost retire off that.

Whoever we choose with our first pick, he’ll definitely unify the fanbase. lol

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 16 (ARI): DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama (A+)
    Round 1 Pick 18: Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida (A)
    Round 2 Pick 4: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 17 (ARI): Josh Myers, C/OG, Ohio State (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 18: Patrick Jones, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 17: AmonRa St Brown, WR, USC (A)
    Round 4 Pick 18: Cameron McGrone, ILB/OLB, Michigan (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 23: Stone Forsythe, OT, Florida (A+)

Your Future Picks:
    2022 Round 1 Pick (ARI)

RIP Hank Aaron
    Hammerin Hank, saw him hit 715 on tv

Wow, they have sold enough tickets today to push the jackpot over 1 BILLION dollars

I’d be giving out $1m checks like Oprah give out cars. YOU get a Million, YOU get a Million.

63. Capt. Stubbs says:

Good afternoon all!
    Nice write up MikeE
    I don’t watch college much at all. So I have to listen to the talking heads for my info. I believe I read somewhere that Sewell didn’t play last year. I’m concerned on him being in football shape and compounded with being a rookie. Sounds like he could have a rocky rookie year. Then all the fans heads will roll SMH!
    Mr and Mrs OD godspeed on recovery glad to hear that Mrs OD is feeling better

Phish I’m here , shoot away on your boating questions

RIP Hank Aaron. One of the greatest to ever play imo

Ken, the mega millions lottery jackpot is now over a billion for tonight I plan on winning it 😁

Can’t get there this weekend Stubbs, damn wish I could

Ahoy Captain! This Dolphins fanbase is insane, never satisfied. I’m not just talking about the folks here, I go on Twitter and it’s just unbelievable. Nothing this team does is ever right or good enough. It’s frustrating to see this.

• Capt. Stubbs says:

I totally agree…..no patience when it actually looks like we’re heading in the right direction for once SMH! It’s funny I had someone tell me earlier in the season that I was basically a bandwagon fan,because i was wearing my fins hat when tua started. which i always wear. So i pulled out my wallet with our old logo on it. He just walked off

Hey Cap, how’s the good Captain Randy doing?

If Son wins the lottery tonight this should be his first purchase

Capt Stubbs can take us all out

70. bailbondmike says:

Wyoming, that was a killer draft if it were to work out that way! First 3 picks were steals, IMO. Double downing on WR in 3rd was nice but I am not a fan of AmonRa St Brown there. He ran a 4.67 40 in 2017 and does not project to break a 4.6 at his pro day. Dude is tough as nails and fearless though.

In the 3rd round I would rather go with a faster Dyami Brown, UNC who averaged over 20 yards per catch and had 20 TD’s over the last 2 seasons.

or
    Marquez Stevenson, Houston in the 4th
    or Tamorrion Terry, FSU in the 6th

January 22, 2021 at 2:35 pm

Mike, I don’t know where the frustration comes from. The best indicator of future performance is, well, past performance and this organization has been disappointing us for 40 + years now.

How can we question their moves!? Because history tells us we should. (they were still throwing away high draft picks for guys like Rosen just 2 years ago) Until they prove otherwise it is right and proper to be hesitant about their decisions. IMO. SHOW ME!

72. Krishna says:

I agree, Ken. How did he not get unanimous first year HOF vote? SMH….

73. bailbondmike says:

Wyoming, Another player that I am on the fence about in the 3rd round possibly 4th if he is there but doubt it is Virginia OLB Charles Snowden.

Dude has a wing span of some prehistoric bird that is now extinct. lol Huge tackle radius. At 6’7 240, he had 15 sacks, 3 FF, 2 INT’s and 15 PD’s in his career at Virginia. He has the frame to put on 10-15 more pounds and not lose a step.

Rock,

It’s hilarious because the patience brigade has been proven right exactly none times (although Tanny is debatable), yet it’s the people who think trading for a proven, young, top 5 QB is the way to go who are the frustrating ones, lol.

I can respect not wanting to trade for Watson, so for the people that don’t want to make that trade, can ya get off the narrowminded, my way is right and yours is stupid high horse.

History shows pretty clearly which of these camps has been the stupid one the last 20 years. Stop over-compensating trying to ‘prove’ you are right, and accept their are at least two ways to think about this.

Oh and here’s a nice rejoinder for those that say you can’t build a team unless you have twenty 1st rd picks: How many of the Chiefs 1st rd picks from 2014-19 were on the team for their Super Bowl win in 2019?

answer – 1

2014 1st rd pick – not on the team in 2019
    2015 1st rd pick – not on the team in 2019
    2016 – no 1st rd pick
    2017 Mahomes
    2018 no 1st rd pick
    2019 no 1st rd pick

Because the key to sustained success is having a good coach, a good qb, and drafting well with what you have- not needing a multitude of 1st rd picks.

We have the good coach, we had a good draft last year, we need the good qb (or maybe we have it with Tua), and we need to continue drafting well. All the other shit is noise.

It’s pretty simple. You need those 3 things. Well we have the opportunity to get the 2nd of those 3 things without the uncertainty, and if Grier is the GM we think he is, then we’ll have all 3 because he’ll continue drafting well.

We’ve been on this rollercoaster before, so excuse some of us that think trading some 1st rd picks for a proven commodity at QB is better than waiting another 2-5 years hoping Tua will develop.

• bailbondmike says:

You have a good point. However, I think that the reverse of that is leading to the down fall of the Pats. The Pats were very good at picking good players in the bottom half of the first round for like an 8 year span (2004-2012).
      Bellicheat has gotten too cute with his drafts and, IMO, has hampered their ability to sustain. Starting with 2013 he traded out of the 1st round. That one probably not in play for the now. The most recent ones, IMO, have hampered them greatly.
      They lost their 2016 1st due to deflategate.
      Traded out of 1st (#32) in 2017 and didn’t make their 1st pick until 3rd round. They did trade for a 2018 1st where they took RB Sony Michel. Jury still out on that one.
      Traded out of 1st (#23) in 2020.

I guess, my point was, those 1st round picks make it easier to get top talent otherwise you better be really good at player evaluation and drafting rounds 2-5.

All valid points that I don’t disagree with. I’m not making an argument that 1st rd picks don’t matter or that losing them is no big deal. I’m just saying you can still build a team even if you lose a few of them.

Everything you pointed out about the Pets is true, and yet they have still competed for Super Bowls every single year because they have a coach, and a QB, and draft well enough even without all their 1sts.

They didn’t compete this year because they didn’t have a QB, and they had 7 starters opt out.

It’ll be really interesting to see how they fare next year with their whole team back but no Brady. And I’m hoping they still struggle at the QB position.

75. Krishna says:

I agree with everything you said except waiting/hoping 2-5 years Tua develop. I don’t think it will take that long for Tua and we should move on if we don’t see it at the end of next year.

High first round picks offer the best chance of success. The more, the greater odds of success. Hitting on them can transform a team.

We are not one player or QB away from being a good team. That’s not bad just not there yet.

And I get what you are saying too. I fully get the other side of this coin.

If Tua stinks next year, it’ll probably be easier to move on from him. But what if he improves next year, but it’s marginal and he also shows some flashes of brilliance. Then we give it another year, right? That’s how it becomes 3-5 years, and in the end we still may end up not having our guy.

All I’m saying is there is merit to both arguments. There is a success factor probability with both scenarios. I’d just like to stop being relegated to the short bus group because I like our chances of success better with the Watson trade. LOL

• Krishna says:

Fair enough. Hopefully, we will never be deserving of R1P3 unless it is gifted to us through trades to better the team.

Lol…

So many teams are going to be in on this, if he does get traded it’s probably going to cost something crazy like six 1st rd picks. No way we’ll do something like that though. My money is still on him not going anywhere.

If he does get traded for some ridiculous price, it’ll be interesting to compare that team’s trajectory with that of the Dolphins.

If enough teams get in on it, he probably did the Texans a favor by being disgruntled

They are desperate to get draft picks back

Wouldn’t it be funny if the Texans trade Watson to the Panthers for multiple picks
      Then trade those multiple picks back to us to get to the 3 spot and take a QB….

Actually, that makes a lot of sense, lol. Say Carolina at 8 makes that trade. The Texans trade up to 3 and we get 8 plus a 1st next year…

It would be a huge mistake to get into a bidding war for Watson regardless of how you feel about Tua. We have added a lot of nice pieces let’s keep building through the draft

Agreed, especially if the reports the Texans aren’t interested in Tua are true, it means we have to give up even more- meaning years of draft capital. I wouldn’t do it if it means giving up that much.

Unless we can secretly get in a bidding war to drive up the price, let Carolina give up a ton of picks, so that the Texans trade those picks to us for the 3 pick…..lol

That would be cutthroat
        (piggy laughs diabolically)

Devil Pig 😈

And just because I know I live in a world of goldfish, I’ll reiterate my previous stance.

I would make the trade for Watson if we could do it for Tua and our 1st and 2d rd picks this year. I wouldn’t give up multiple years worth of picks. But it’s starting to look unlikely we will be able to get him for that price. So as the price goes up, I’d bow out and roll with Tua.

I would give up one of our fists and one of our seconds. Not both

I just want to stick with Tua

And both of your takes are valid. I’ve said it till I’m blue in the face, but I genuinely think it’s possible there may not be a wrong answer here. And the reason I think that is we have a coach, and I believe we have a GM. So I think we’ll be ok.

And there was a ‘fist’ing joke to be had in there somewhere…lol

Piggy I prefer to stick with Tua as well but if we could land Watson and still have a first and second round pick that would be something we have to think about

I think Watson is going to the Jets. They have the picks and the cap space.

It makes sense. They can throw in Darnold too. Of course with the 2nd pick, the Texans may be looking at drafting a QB there instead.

Darnold could also be another trade to get back some draft capital.

Ah, that probably makes more sense.

I don’t know how Saleh will be as HC, but I liked him as the Niners DC. He’s basically the anti-Gase when it comes to being in touch with his players. Give him Watson and the start of a decent defense already in place, he might make the Jest respectable very quickly.

I’d just like to see us sweep the stupid Jest next year so we can take the series lead, because that is the way the world should be, lol.

78. Krishna says:

Isn’t the Watson thing in football like the Harden thing in basketball? Watson’s gone. Another Texan team. WTF?

Kong, I was talking to my friend who’s also a Dolphins fan the other day and we both agreed we don’t care what other teams do. We want our team to get so good that other teams worry about us. To be the best team you have to beat good teams, not fear them.

I could just see all the Dolphins fans that want Watson losing their shit if the Jets get him. Silly as it may seem, they will root for Watson to beat the Dolphins so they can say I told ya so!

I will lose my shit if the Jests get anything other than herpes…

82. bailbondmike says:

Herd, someone for you to keep an eye on. DT Kenny Randall, 6’3 320, he played for Charleston, WV in Div II. I hear he is a real beast. Got invite to Senior Bowl. He will be there practicing but not playing in the game. I guess they invite a group of the top Div II Seniors to participate as well. If our coaching staff likes him, he could be drafted by us in the 7th or an UDFA.

There is also a WR from that school who declared, WR Mike Strachan, he is a monster at like 6’5 225. He may not get drafted in the 7th but is considered to be a HPFA. A new acronym I learned today meaning High Priority undrafted Free Agent. Which means he will likely be one of the first ones immediately signed once the draft is over.

Man you’re already digging deep into possible 7th round – UDFA prospects. What two 1st’s, two 2nd’s, a 3rd and a 4th not good enough for ya? LOL

I agree that they’re not real fans but I feel like some younger fans really aren’t really fans. They watch the NBA and have that I want it now mentality. Or maybe they just have too much Veruca Salt in them. lol

LOL

Some of the younger generations are absorbed in sports in so many ways that they lose sight of fandom – it’s about betting and fantasy.

• Krishna says:

Football isn’t a millennial, me first sport. At least not in my life time. Yours OD?

84. Krishna says:

Just random…I think OD is my only senior on this blog. Lol!

What about Watson to the Saints? They wouldn’t miss a beat. They’d probably be better because Watson’s deep ball is much better than where Brees was at.

Anyone with me in thinking the Bills win this Sunday? I think it’ll be a great game and could go either way, but if I was putting down money, I’d put it on the Bills.

LATE THIS AFTERNOON Mrs. OD and I got the words we were waiting for. “You’re Both Covid-Free!” My exhausted wife hit the bed at 7:30; I will follow her in just a couple more minutes.
    I lost 10 pounds in 11 days WITHOUT TRYING TO!.
    ———————
    The news is not all good. Pasco County STILL has no idea when Covid shots will be available to those of us in the 75 and up FIRST GROUP!! A grand total of 500 shots have been delivered to the nursing homes that dot the area in this county. But that’s IT!!
    ——————–
    Talk to you folks tomorrow!

I can’t say Bills even though they’re playing really well.
    Mahomes vs Rodgers and maybe State Farm will blow into a zillion little pieces

LOL, the State Farm dream game.

I’d much prefer to see Mahomes and Rodgers, but I just feel like it’s the Bills year to lose another Super Bowl. 🤣🤣

89. bailbondmike says:

Tim, lol I got it down to who I like and where in the first 7 rounds. It was a boring rainy day so I had nothing else I wanted to do.

I know I am the only one here who wants Tampa this weekend, I cannot stand GB or Rodgers, even at the expense of Brady getting there. A Packers/Bills match up would be a nightmare for me. Not that anybody cares, Lol.

If we go WR at 3 he’s my choice, but I’d rather trade back a little and still take him. The Oregon OT is the only player I see worth taking at 3.

Harris or Waddle (if no WR at 3) at 18. Waddle over Smith all day every day.

Kong – The anti-Tua sentiment is much stronger on twitter than it is here. I just don’t understand why there is any anti-Tua sentiment at all. People have already decided he’s terrible and will never be a good QB. I suppose every team has fans like that but it disgusts me.

• pheloniusphish says:

Piggy said it. It’s the shiny new thing syndrome. Combine that with the millennial I want it now arm chair GM attitude and you get the Miami fan base.

The busboy at breakfast looks like piggy. I elbowed his crotch for good measure.

Capt Stubbs – I’m thinking of buying a Sea Hunt 25 Game Fish for offshore in the Keys. Twin 150 Yamahas. Any downside to the boat?

This kind of wraps up the fan think in a nutshell:

“ Tagovailoa went from being the top college prospect to a generational talent to a first-overall pick to a top five despite his injury, to now being an afterthought because of Watson. Somehow in all of this, the Dolphins who loved what they saw in Tua, no longer find him all that appealing. After nine games mind you.”

I see the season past as Tua’s pre-season and expect next year to show who he is. I don’t believe they are or will be interested in Watson unless they are offered a screaming deal, better than the Tunsil deal. Miami is in the driver’s seat because they are not desperate. In a bidding war, they would be out bid.

97. bailbondmike says:

M13, I like that draft and can see us moving around quite a bit like that grabbing who they want. Though, I would prefer WR Dyami Brown at #81.
    Wyatt Davis is also a good choice. There are some seriously good guards in this draft. Davis is the biggest stud of all the IOL. I have been focusing on OC’s who can also play OG. I seem to have tunnel vision on Landon Dickerson right now since he has experience at LT, OG and most recently OC.

Mike E,

It’s just another example of people not thinking for themselves. Sure, you can think this but it’s primarily a narrative sold by clickbait media. The same media who never take responsibility when wrong, which is more frequent than not since they live in perpetual ‘hot take!’ mode.

People like Son, Kong and others have put great reasons why they would take Watson, but none of them involve Tua sucking cause no one knows. Tua is half a season in with no real offseason. It’s utterly ridiculous and the thinking of simpletons tbh. The only real discussions are; which talent will have the highest ceiling, would Tua get to Watson’s level and how long would it take, is Watson poison, how much is Watson worth, what talent works best with our guy, etc, etc. Tua’s abilities (at the NFL level) are still in progress. He’s had little chance for success.

Tua already peaked at Alabama, what we saw last year is as good as it gets.

Trade back to 15 range works for me too and take 2 of these 3 at 15 and 18, Pitts, Waddle, Harris.

Taking Smith at 3 would be the worst thing we can do, besides the player we won’t be taking advantage of another Houston sucker.

Just say trade back, its why getting 3 was so important.

Mike, I probably just need to realize when you’re knocking people over this Tua/Watson thing that it is more directed to those you mentioned that want to put Tua down and not personally directed at me, lol.

I should give you credit for understanding a stance more nuanced than ‘Tua sucks, get next thing’. My view isn’t an indictment of Tua, rather I see it as a singular opportunity that suddenly appeared. When we selected Tua, we didn’t know Watson would be available because teams just don’t let QBs of his caliber go. So circumstances change and it doesn’t mean I think badly of Tua.

I guess I just kind of lumped myself in with Tua detractors and felt a need to address the vitriol I erroneously felt directed my way. It was simply binary thinking on my part.

So I vow to have a better understanding and not take it personally. I will let go of the self-hate and start a new day with the sunshine at my back and a spring in my step.

The halcyon days are upon us Dolphins fans, and we should all rejoice, lol.

Cheers 🙂

How many teams have ever won the SB with a Watson type salary?

Watson’s stats are propped up, because they were too often behind. Reminds me of the Jax QB a few years ago, then the next season he sucked. Watson is good, but he’s not elite and has maybe 5 good years left.

Kong,
    Did you get one of those “Word of the day” calendars for Christmas? Nuanced? Vitriol? Binary? Halcyon? WTF?

It’s Scrabble day, Randy. I was looking to get a triple word score on xerosis, but I couldn’t work it into my post, LOL

We hired an OC

I think our next OC is already on the team. Otherwise makes no sense to be hiring all of these lower O positions.

That OC has a realationship with Tua

bailbondmike says:
    January 23, 2021 at 10:33 am
    ——————-
    Yes, Landon Dickerson would be a great asset. Positional versatility cannot be overstated, plus he’s familiar with Tua. I’d be very happy with him coming to Miami.

Aka – we are not interested in Watson

Yeah, means forget Watson.

It also hints we aren’t going to be baiting other teams into thinking we’re going to take a QB at 3.

Although I think there’s a good chance Atlanta goes QB, so to move in front of them makes sense.

108. bailbondmike says:

In his first season as Central Michigan’s offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach, Charlie Frye led a high-powered unit that spearheaded the biggest turnaround among Football Bowl Subdivision teams.

steveccnv says:
    January 23, 2021 at 1:07 pm

Harris or Waddle (if no WR at 3) at 18. Waddle over Smith all day every day.
    —————-
    Chase is outstanding, that’s for sure.

I’ve been wondering for some time if NFL teams will shy away from college players who opted out of the ’20 season… then think about the pros on our own team, such as Albert Wilson and Allen Hurns who opted out. I mean, these guys have lost a whole year to develop on the field… but they also should be fresher than ever before.

It cuts both ways really, so I think it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. But to reiterate your point, yes, Chase is outstanding.

110. bailbondmike says:

Frye’s 2019 offense produced 424 points, the fourth-highest total in program history, ranked second in the MAC in passing yardage, and had two backs rush for more than 1,000 yards for the first time in program history.

WOHOO OD — Covid free is the way to be. Sorry for what you went through but so happy it was not worse.

Wife and I are moved into our new apartment we’re staying in while they redo our place. It’s fine but best thing about it is the TV service. On Hotwire you can hit what was on at least the major channels up to 48 hours before. They just record them all back at HQ I guess. Beats the heck out of our AT&T, which is all our condo building provides.

Why do I know the name Charlie Frye? Wasn’t he a QB in the NFL? Lions? Raiders? Or am I confusing him with Charlie Batch

Played for the Browns, Seahawks and yep Raiders. Not much of a playing career to talk about though. Is crushing it in coaching though. Moved from high school to a NFL OC in just two seasons.

According to Wiki, Frye had to retire the NFL early due to a wrist injury during ‘training camp’. All I know is his forearms are huge for some reason. Take a look at his latest photo.

116. Krishna says:

And, to see if i have 2nd or 3rd priority of old fucks, i will 63 next month.

So why doesn’t anyone want to hire Bienemy? He’s had multiple interviews the last two years and runs one of the hottest offenses around. But no one seems to want him. What is it all about do you think?

Kong – I wasn’t representing anyone here at all regarding hating Tua, this was strictly from twitter. The hate there far exceeds the hate here. I think the only 2 real detractors of Tua here are Rob and Steve. I think most of us here are at least willing to give him a chance and others still think he might have a high ceiling.

• Krishna says:

Yep, give the guy a chance. It’s fucking ridiculous and stupid, as it’s way to early to judge. It’s called a wild ass guess at this point.

He wasn’t my first choice, but he’s done nothing to show he was a mistake pick at this point, imo.

Krishna – Bieniemy has interviewed with the Bucs, Jets, Dolphins and Bengals in 2019; the Browns, Giants and Panthers in 2020, and so far the Falcons, Lions, Jets, Chargers and Jaguars in 2021. Only the Giants and Jags have not hired a minority HC in the past. Not everything is about skin color.

• Krishna says:

It shouldn’t be abiut skin color, agreed. 31 white billionaires might disagree. Why Jags didn’t take him vs quitter Urban, i feel sick, Myer, is beyond me. Urban is not the Jags future.

• pheloniusphish says:

Blaming it on race is intellectually lazy. The Jags hired Myers because he is enormously popular in northeast Florida from his time at UF. He will energize the fan base and put asses in seats for a couple of years regardless of record. He is also one of the most successful college coaches ever. The NFL is more like college ball than ever. Kingsbury and Rhule have had success. No one should be surprised that the Jags hired Myers or wonder why.

• Krishna says:

Fair enough. But Meyer is a quitter. I loved him when he was at UF as i am alumni.

• Krishna says:

But you are wrong about being inellectually lazy. Perhaps the Jag example was bad.

You’re laziness comes from never entertaining race as a cause. You fail to see anything racial from your high place. White grievance? Lmao.

• pheloniusphish says:

Race can certainly be a cause of many things. Assuming it is the cause before actually examining relevant factors is both intellectually bereft and righteous, two things that seem to go hand in hand. When your first thought is that something is about race, you are racist.

I can’t help that you are both ashamed and afraid of who you are.

• Krishna says:

You ctack me up with your intellectual bullshit. Sometimes racial injustice is so obvious it blinds you. Look over there syndrome is quite apparent.

• Krishna says:

Being an obvious consideration in the face of facts is somehow blinding? Ignoring it as a possibility is putting your head in the sand and feeling superior. Carry on.

pheloniusphish says:
    January 23, 2021 at 6:12 pm
    So why doesn’t anyone want to hire Bienemy?…
    —————
    Great question. And of all the OCs who have been hired as HCs thus far, NONE of them have called the plays, but for Bienemy.

NO, I don’t believe it to be a racial matter, either. Either Andy Reid is pouring salt in Bienemy’s game to keep him (doubt it), or he’s just a very bad interview. It’s probably the latter (people continue to pass him by over other black coaches), but try telling that to SJWs. JMO, as always.

121. Krishna says:

Maybe he’s a bad interview. Why is that the overriding factor? I would think experience and results should be at the top of the list of qualifications, not doing interviews. Fucking Belichick is awful at interviews…lol.

122. Krishna says:

How many black HCs in NFL? Is Flores the only one? How many coordinators are black? How many players are black? Only one black (muslim) owner.

I just say what I see. Lots of colors….lol.

Oh, and color blindness….lol.

Let’s be real.

It should NEVER be about color, but more often, it is than isn’t.

Pp, you asked the question, and i answered it. I sure hope I’m wrong

Krisna,

If the NFL player base is 69% black, which is obviously very racist, why does the rest of the NFL have to meet that racist standard? The minority hiring is close to the racial sampling of the country outside of Latinos being vastly underrepresented. Bieniemy must be a terrible interviewer because about half the NFL has interviewed him and several have hired a HC or coordinator who is black. There are a decent sampling of GMs and HCs that are black in the NFL now. As a team, you want the BEST HC, not just the dude that Mahomes makes look good.

Heaven forbid anyone interject any intellect into the conversation. Way easier to just dumb it down to your level.

A possible trade partner

126. Krishna says:

You guys are delusional. The NFL is not racist because it has 69% black players/slaves owned by white people? Help me understand…lmfao. open your fucking eyes.

I love football and if it’s a predominantly black sport i love that too. Owned and coached by all white people? Ok…i see nothing here….lmao.

127. Krishna says:

By the way,, in my experience, sports has always been the leader in paving the way for social and racial justice. Facts!

Krishna says:
    January 23, 2021 at 7:19 pm
    That’s a joke, right?
    ————–
    You truly don’t know who I am, clearly, but that’s alright. MANY assume they know who I am, based on my political ideology. JMO, but that’s racist, in and of itself. You’ve got to knock it off with the racist labeling and assumptions that you’ve been programmed to do, as a liberal. Success doesn’t mean ‘sellout’, either…

• Krishna says:

Being critical is NOT being racist. I have read many of your posts and can only make assumptions based on what I’ve read. I can only imagine how people are in “real” life.

Then thank God you’re not talking to a Black Panther in me, my friend. Like you, I’m ALL about justice for all. Methinks you sometimes go over the top… and I realize that I can also do the same.

I’m about PEACE for all, LOVE for all, and JUSTICE for all. I think we can agree on this, no?

129. bailbondmike says:

If Stafford becomes a free agent, I bet he ends up in New England.

130. bailbondmike says:

I bet Lions target QB Trey Lance.

131. bailbondmike says:

Not looking at teams draft capital, I could see Stafford going to:
    Jets
    Panthers
    Broncos
    49’ers
    Pats
    Colts
    Washington
    Bears
    Saints

In Hockey news : Jets trade Laine and Roslovic to Columbus for Pierre Luc Dubois and a3rd rd pick.. I really hope Dubois is good otherwise I feel we just got fleeced for the first time in memory

There is going to be a lot of turnover at HC and QB in 2021. Should be interesting.

Krishna,

The NFL has about 2000 players and that means about 1400 black players. There are 32 owners, 32 HC, and no one seems to talk about the large number of lower level black coaches. So…just based off facts and stats, blacks primarily benefit in the NFL. It’s just the FACTS.

Why should a multi billion dollar industry primarily benefit black people which are 13% of the population? How is that not racist?

That’s not racist, black players are apparently the better athletes and football players. That’s how a free market works, the best product wins.

We all know why the owners are predominantly white, many of them come from “old” money. It’s very expensive to own an NFL franchise. You have to be a multi-billionaire. Also some of the owners don’t sell, it’s been part of a family for about a century. And when they do sell, it’s to extremely wealthy people. We all know black folks are behind the 8 ball in that arena. Many of them couldn’t even vote until 1965. We all know the ugly history of racism in this country. That will change in time but unfortunately many of us won’t be alive by the time we see black NFL owners.

• New Age says:

That’s not a free market. When a guy is racist if he doesn’t hire black, that’s not free market. If there is constant pressure to meet expected results or there will be consequences, that’s not free market. If you get draft prizes for one result and penalties for other results, that’s not free market. That’s the opposite in reality. With Affirmative Action, there can be no evidence of an actual free market. Anything that uses exterior forces to promote a specific result, is not free market.

Is there some kind of evidence that black people are genetically superior to white people? Asians? Latinos? Is Luka Doncic just an aberration? Matthew Boling? That one in a million white folk who somehow got ‘the Genes’? How does that even relate to ownership, coaching, managing, etc? How does being the superior athlete relate to those fields?

Can you tell me why Indians, and other Asians have found so much success in America when most of them weren’t here in 1965? Had to move here without a support system already in place? Did we reverse racism them to the top? That’s kinda weird of us racist white people to do.

100% agreed with New Age

• New Age says:

Thanks MF!!

New Age, I read your comments like this. “So…just based off facts and stats, blacks primarily benefit in the NFL.”

I was talking about the bigger issue of owners and GMs, not coaches or head coaches. I’m not sure how we got off course here. What I said is not my opinion, it’s NFL history and American history. Not sure how anyone can debate that? That’s what happened and why it is the way it is today.

As far as talent you think GMs and HCs have some black and white grid, we must be 60-40 at the least. No!!!! The best players make the roster. That’s the free market. There is no racial bias with players, teams select the players they think can help them win.

I really don’t know what we’re disagreeing about?

Krishna, saying black players in sports making millions of dollars is slavery is the worst tactic of ‘the left’ there is. It’s like how Trump is compared to Hitler and now I see people on ‘the right’ saying Biden is like Hitler. It’s as if nobody knows what slavery was or who Hitler was. What is the infatuation with Hitler? The USA is nowhere near Nazism or Socialism. It’s a psychotic agenda that hardcore political types are going through, on both sides.

• New Age says:

We’re not disagreeing really. I agree with past history and the free market on players. The push today is that HCs and GMs must meet some kind of racial threshold that is not free market based though and that’s my argument. I find it ridiculous that the NFL, which employs blacks about 5x the expected rate, based off population, is a racist organization because they don’t employ even more blacks.

Honestly, the racism push of the past decade really burns me up. 40 years ago my parents taught me to look inside a person and not at their melanin levels. I didn’t know anyone who promoted different back then either. Now, everything is racism but we’ve done better as a society? I don’t think so. We’ve regressed a lot the past 40 years. There was an article a few years ago that showed a graph that had articles about racism spike right after Occupy Wall Street. Our corporate overlords love when we are divided over easy things like someone looking different. It makes them lots of money and keeps us looking in the wrong places.

137. ElephantRider says:

Unpopular opinion:

Bienemy not finding a head coaching job has nothing to do with the fact he is black. Give me a break. Even Fins passed on him and hired another black guy!

• New Age says:

He’s interviewed with 38% of the entire NFL the past three years. No one else is close to that mark. It’s weird but at this point, you start to question what HES doing wrong, not the entire NFL. The focus is backwards and it’s specifically because he’s a black man. Racist agenda hiding in plain sight.

Jesus…tequila. Now I remember why I stopped drinking tequila. I got so blasted my wife had to take care of me. That hasn’t happened in decades, lol.

MF13,

Wow I had no idea that Bieniemy called the plays for the Chiefs. I would have bet money it was Reid. When I was catching up on the blog and read Phel’s question, my initial thought was “it’s probably because Reid is the ‘senior’ OC, calls the plays, and is likely the main offensive architect for the Chiefs”. Thanks for kicking that out info out there.

It’s pretty weird Bieniemy hasn’t gotten a shot yet. Even if you accept racism as a possibility, there are still 3 teams that chose other minority candidates over him (Flores, Rivera, and Saleh). So it makes me wonder what the heck is going on in those interviews.

*On a side note, when I was looking up the minority hires, I noticed, since the 2018 offseason 22 teams have replaced their HC. That is pretty crazy and makes me appreciate Flores that much more. Hopefully he’s our guy for the next 20+ years*

Belicheat and Reid are the longest tenured HCs, followed by Payton, Tomlin, and Harbaugh in that order.

Cav should always post drunk on Tequila.

141. New Age, the NFL doesnt intentionally hire black players to be racist, SMH

teams hire players that will help them win, period
    if football players from Colombia were winning super bowls, then that is what the league would be

• New Age says:

As I said before, I’m talking about GM, HCs, etc. I’m not seeing discussions on their hiring choices because they want to win. Sounds like….hypocrisy.

142. and to the fearmongering idiots that told me for 2 years that Biden would tank the markets?,

screw off, maybe they arent spending 120 hours a week in the markets like i am.

Bidens first 2 days in office? 2 all time high records, gaslighting fearmongers suck

The Democrats did purposely through subterfuge tank the economy in an attempt to take Trump down. Just watch as very soon things start to magically open up, like restaurants, bars etc. w/o the benefit of scientifically being safe enough to do so. You’ve read it here, now watch it happen. Gotta kickstart that economy now that the Democrats are in power. Just watch . . . Truth is, I’ll be happy when it happens and won’t utter a complaint, but it’s a fucking joke if it really does happen.

That’s fucking crazy on so many levels

Which part exactly? There were definite efforts by Democratic Governors to keep things closed. If all of a sudden in a month or so things start opening up, will it be because it’s all clear or more like we need to get the economy going?

I already heard the same logic from conservatives that right after the election (in November) things would open up suddenly and that didn’t happen – I’m not going to accept that somehow they were right bc it’s it opens up in March or April

You already missed the window on that logic

It was just flat out wrong

Closures of places where people gather is an international model. We have seen it in Europe, Australia and Asia irrespective of political affiliation.

It’s not unique to democratic run states
        What is unique is that so many Americans fought against it

Phel,
    My wife is laughing her ass off trying to tell me about some of my behavior last night…I keep telling her to save it because it isn’t any of my business what I do when I’m that drunk. LOL

145. bailbondmike says:

Cav, I got drunk about a month after Hurricane Sally and decided to fix my privacy fence in the dark. Two days later, I had to undo everything I did. lol

146. bailbondmike says:

Looks like KC also has Edwards-Hellaire back.

——————-
    So long as he doesn’t go to the Patsies* or stej, all good.

The way I figure, either Matthew Stafford or Deshaun Watson will end up in the AFC East… and this is a pass-happy league today.

I feel good about our boundary CBs [Xavien, Byron, and Iggy (who will eventually get there], but (and it’s been awhile) I’m feeling the need for a ballhawking Safety once again… we don’t have one on our current roster.

No, a ballhawking Safety is NOT a priority at this time (so as to draft one early), but it sure would be nice. I’ll try to find a diamond in the rough for the later rounds and/or as an UDFA.

————-
    I can see this happening.

Sorry Bookman! But I never want to see Brady in the SB again!!!!!!

Home Super Bowl?

Piggy, sorry man, if Trump decided to open up in March he would be universally slammed and called irresponsible and reckless. If Biden does it he will be lauded by the media and even Fauci will probably endorse it. You can tell me different but it will be a fallacy.

Trump did try to open up in March….

March of 2020….

That’s why it was shit on by a lot fo critics – bc it was crazy to suggest last easter.

The criticism might actually have to do with the content instead of the politician who is advocating for it and what you are insisting are the leanings of the media.

I realize this is an excuse for trump on everything, that he would be treated differently – but the hypothetical you are proposing is just that a hypothetical. Trump just criticized states for closing down. He didn’t really propose a plan for them to follow. Most of the time when he talked about how to deal with covid it was a trainwreck, If he was talking about it publicly in 2021, I think there would be a serious breach of trust on these issues, so yeah people would probably criticize him, but it’s more likely based on a series of missteps

If we get vaccines out by March of 2021, it won’t be crazy to start opening up

I actually think it’s going to be more like May or June and by then the election will be far behind us. I don’t think that’s a political decision

It really should never be a political plan. These closures have been applied internationally and should be above politics. It’s only turned into a political discussion in this country bc of the poor leadership on the top that chose to point fingers at the opposition rather than take initiative

M – Newsflash – it’s been about building around Tua since we made the decision to draft him. Any other plans were just wet dreams of fans who always look for the next shiny toy and never appreciate what we already have.

I find it extremely annoying.

Mike E, keeping all options open is the way of a wise GM and HC. What’s more, in the event that Tua got messed up last year (having come off a major injury), we’d have to go in another direction.

So NO… it’s not been about building around him since the decision to draft him.

But YES… we are NOW (so it seems) going to build around him.

Don’t make statements that may come back to bite you! 😉

Friendly reminder… only a Sith deals in absolutes! 😉

Drafting 3 OL in the 1st, 2nd and 4th was the start of building around Tua. We also thought we had more weapons at WR until Wilson and Hurns opted out. So that kind of hurt us a bit.

January 24, 2021 at 3:49 pm
    —————
    I call that building around the QB position, not necessarily for Tua himself. Old Dolfan and I have spoken about this ad nauseam for many, many years.

THAT stated, yes, we’re FINALLY building the trenches on the O-Line!
    What’s more, YES, it’s going to benefit Tua.
    This is more of a ‘chicken vs. the egg’ convo… not about Tua himself.

Also you and OD were not the only ones focused on the OL for many years. We were all doing that because we all watched the games. I’m one example because remember when we were doing mock drafts and I would take OL in the 1st round which annoyed a lot of us? LOL

January 24, 2021 at 4:01 pm
    Well when you draft a QB at #5 and then follow up with 3 OL who do you think that’s for?…
    —————–
    I dunno… the Offense as a whole? Without a decent O-Line, you can’t run and can’t pass. We learned that lesson 15 years ago with Pro-Bowlers at every position but for the O-Line. That was the year that dumbass Peter King predicted us to the Super Bowl.
    #LessonsLearned

THAT’S why I’m saying, it wasn’t for TUA himself. This is football 101 by Flores/Grier.

Of course it’s not only about the QB but you said we weren’t building around Tua yet but now we will. It all starts up front. If your QB has no time it doesn’t matter who the skill positions are. Now it’s time for playmakers for sure. We’ll have lots of options. It doesn’t have to be at #3 either.

Correct! NOW, we WILL build around Tua. He has proven he can be the man, despite not pushing the ball down the field in 2020. He’s proven the ability to take hits, to lead the team, but the training wheels were still on to keep him from being killed.

Now then… to BUILD around Tua, is to employ receivers who are on the same page as himself. YAC. Speed. Hands.

THAT’S how you build around Tua.

And probably firstly, ROUTE RUNNING expertise. That’s why DeVonta Smith is so highly thought of by so many. Even last year, MANY thought that DeVonta was the best between he, Jerry Jeudy, and Henry Ruggs.

This conversation is becoming too tit for tat. I think we all agree we need more playmakers on offense.

Please no Brady in the super bowl

Please!

Tom Lady*, proving he can do it without Bill Belicheat*… and not the other way around.

THUS(!)… proving that DON SHULA is the greatest HC of all-time.

Wow, fucking GB is shitting the bed.

And Brady has been nearly flawless in this game so far.

Man, if we get Brady and Tampa vs the effing Bills, I’m not watching.

I am feeling ill

I don’t think there has been a single penalty called this game

This is Bookmans fault
    He’s been playing the Grease soundtrack while sticking toothpicks in an Aaron Rogers doll

M – It’s not just about Watson. C’mon man, you’re on twitter, you have to see the fans (Dolphins fans) looking at any and all options to replace Tua right now. I think Watson was just a convenient excuse for some people to glom onto to replace Tua. It’s like in 9 games he’s not as good as Justin Herbert so it’s time to find the next guy. This isn’t directed at you as far as you wanting to get Watson, I understand that you, Kong and a couple of others want to explore options, especially when a talented QB becomes available. I just choose to stay on course, a course that has been planned probably for longer than we actually know, and the fact that we were 10-6 in that crazy year was very unexpected and I personally am of the belief that Tua will improve, and the fact that we have so much draft capital as well as a decent amount of cap room makes it an ideal situation for us. Sometimes you also have to consider the “why” of the player being available and I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that there are always two sides to everything, and the fact that Watson is so inflexible and not willing to work things out makes me even more skeptical of him.

I’ll never agree with chasing points in the 3rd quarter. I don’t care what the chart says. The only time I would go for 2 is in the closing minutes of a game, or if you’re down so big you need to have those points (like the Pets in the SB against Atlanta).

Whatever, I’m just glad the Packers are back in it. Got us a game now.

Piggy, not March, not even February, right now . . . Check this out

Funny, the (Republican) Governor has had lower restrictions, has been allowing 50% indoor dining in the state for a while, but NOW, 1 week after the Democratic President takes over, it’s SAFE! Enjoy life, it’s all good, all safe. LMAO!!!

The indoor dining ban he is lifting has only been in place since December 2020
      It says that in the article

That doesn’t support what you stated, since the election happened in November 2020

It actually supports the opposite

presumably they lowered restrictions before that ban, just like many cities in the US until we started to see the second surge – and that also contradicts what you said.

As a matter of fact, one state or city changing its rules doesn’t support what you are saying. If you are going to call it a coordinated political effort to hurt the economy, it better be demonstrated across the board everywhere, not just here and there.

Riiiiiiight. Oh man, I’m just glad that you guys are the ones that have to defend the bullshit now. He could have gone with the Governor’s decision immediately, but no, he waits until the Dem President is in office. I can’t wait to see all the other excuses forthcoming, I assure you there will be hundreds to defend. lol

Excuse? Wtf!

He banned indoor dining in December…after the election

It could not have had any political advantage in December
        Your argument doesn’t make any sense

Woohoo!!

Tampa D keeps getting it done.

perfect block in the back on that screen to Gronk, but hey let’s just keep the flags in the pockets

And now the Pack has to make a 2 pt conversion because they didn’t effing take the point earlier, smh.

Can’t believe Rodgers didn’t run that in

Why did they kick a FG?

Let’s give the ball back to Brady and hope he can’t oick up a first down….wtf?!

That ref enjoys suspense

Just don’t grab the receivers shirt for one play. How hard is that?

177. bailbondmike says:

The Bucs DB’s, especially #23, has been grabbing the whole game and the ref 25 yards down field decides to call one now? A game deciding call and that’s bull shit.

I’d post it again but I’m dry heaving now!

Sorry folks. I am glad for this selfishly because I hate the Packers, but I am also I awe of Brady.

I just hope the Chiefs or Bills crush the Bucs

181. bailbondmike says:

That’s it! I know it is true now. These refs have given calls to brady his whole career. These refs get paid off by the billionaire tech moguls to make calls that favor Brady. If the refs don’t follow through, Soros calls in ANTIFA to cause havoc outside the refs homes. It’s all fixed!

Bookman is my brother from another mother it seems. I’m also super happy to see Rodgers sitting at home again and don’t mind Brady now. I hope the Chiefs set the Bills on fire.

• bookman11 says:

Rodgers is an arrogant prick. I have no issues with him once again not rising to the occasion in a big moment. Take it from me, Packer fans under 35 have known nothing other than success and act like it. Really is annoying. The younger fans are really arrogant, and some of them my age are also

Pigs – What don’t you understand? He kept it closed while Trump was still President and then opened them up a week after the new Democratic President was in office so the economy will reflect from here on in, and I’m sure they won’t be reporting COVID-19 every second anymore, it’s no longer necessary. Does this help you any?

Mike

It’s a crazy theory
      I don’t know how to spell it out to you. They even announced that they would be lifted when they imposed the restrictions

This article is from December when they imposed them. They say in the article they will be lifted by Jan 16 and this article was published when they announced the restrictions

The argument you are making was the same argument I was hearing about November

It makes more sense using November as a target date than January. If you want to do it to motivate people to turn against a candidate, you do it before The election and then shift gears after that election . You don’t wait until he’s sworn in

Also I can’t imagine all the governors and mayors risking their own political careers simply to insure trump loses. That absurd

Aside from that and I keep saying thesis and you ignore it – this was not exclusive to the US or our politics. Shutdowns are what Europe did. They are what Australia and Asia did too

It’s got nothing to do with politics

I’m going to let this go, it has nothing to do with Trump losses, but everything to do with Biden’s gains. I keep saying it. What good is it opening up in December when the the new President isn’t in office yet? He couldn’t claim the gains and the turnaround in the economy. Now he can. It’s not that important, it’s just so funny how you or no other Democrat will say it’s not safe to open now though, I guess that’s the bigger point. As long as your fearless leaders say it’s safe, it must be because they care about the people first and foremost.

I love how the commentators said on the last Packers drive that the refs are letting them play, despite the fact that there was so much contact between the Bucs DB and Pack WR. He held him nearly the entire route, NO CALL. Then a slight jersey pull which didn’t impede the receiver one bit on the last drive, potentially the last offensive play before punting and they throw the flag and make the call. This is like the tuck rule all over again, go to any length to get Brady in again.

WELL,WELL, WELL. Rays win the American League pennant, Lightning win the Stanley Cup and the Bucs will be hosting the Super Bowl. It’s been an interesting few months here in Tampa Bay. I find myself in the not so great position of rooting for Brady should the Bills make it to the Super Bowl. HOWEVER, if the Chiefs prevail, I’ll be rooting FOR THEM to spoil the Bucs big party!
    ———————
    Head Coach LaFleur of Green Bay needs his fucking head examined!! NOT going for the touchdown on 4th and goal with about 3 minutes left WAS HIS FAULT!!!
    ——————–
    Will be hootin’ for the Chiefs tonight!!

Piggy,

While I agree it wasn’t R vs D politics, it was definitely politics. Those people either were terrified of not getting re-elected or just followed the herd. Have you heard of the Great Barrington Declaration? Thousands of experts who were against the lockdowns who spoke out….it didn’t change anything. The reason this continued for so long is that none of it was about science. Follow the science was never used.

Absolutely, but they certainly used that tagline the last year until it was worn out. Apparently, the science isn’t as important as a strong Democratic run economy.

Man does Tom Brady live a very charmed life or what?

So Brady gets a PI call to seal the game when the refs had been letting them play ALL GAME.

Then Hill drops a pass that would have been a big play and put the Chiefs in scoring position, and now Hardman drops a punt return gifting the Bills a TD and a 9 point lead. Today is turning into a certifiable nightmare.

Woohoo!!!!!

New Age

The Great Barrington Declaration has been rejected by most of the scientific world and sponsored by a non scientific political group (The American Institute for Economic Research.

They advocated for herd immunity, which a lot of scientists think is reckless

Here is one open letter denouncing it I found online

They were so desperate to release it they released it with fake names who had nothing to with science

I don’t know about you, but I’m not taking health pointers from Dr Johnny Bananas

Anyway, I’m not a scientist. I’m not going to argue science. That’s not what we were discussing. Like it or not we did not choose herd immunity. Trump flirted with it, but he didn’t really push it either. It really was never on the table. I don’t think any governors in the us on either side of the fence pushed for it. The governor of South Dakota jumps out to me as the most resistant of restrictions. That still wasn’t heed immunity

That isn’t what we are discussing anyway. I was arguing with Mike that the idea that the closures were a product of people political sabotage is far fetched

I don’t want to get dragged into every conservative’s side arguments or novel issues bc they are upset about my point of view, like every time I discuss political issues on this blog with some one. Whether or not we should have gone herd immunity or not, is just not something I’m interested in discussing. And even if we should have went that route it doesn’t support the conclusion that closures are the result of political sabotage.

So are they just going to let the chiefs have whatever they want underneath?

I wish the Bills would have played that way against us