2021 Position outlook – RB

If our WR corps is a little on the high side salary cap wise at the moment, especially considering who’s on our roster, our RB room is on the cheap. At the moment, no Dolphins RB is at a $1M salary or higher. Myles Gaskin, Patrick Laird and Salvon Ahmed are the only RB’s under contract now and add up to a stingy $2.5M. I expect that to change when the draft rolls around. I think after watching all of our backs it’s easy to realize that really none of them are a true bellcow RB or what could be considered a #1. I liked what I saw out of Myles Gaskin and Salvon Ahmed, they both showed the ability to run the ball and catch the ball and do good things catching the ball out of the backfield (Myles Gaskin moreso than Ahmed) but neither guy proved capable of pushing the pile or creating after contact yards. I saw way too many times first contact and down. We need a RB that’s both more elusive and also more powerful that can break that first tackle which many times leads to big gains.

A RB that can catch the ball and then make things happen after the catch can be a QB’s best friend. I think Najee Harris fits that role best as he is probably the best receiving RB, and he has the size (6’2 230) to and skills to be an every down back. Travis Etienne is a very good RB, maybe the highest ranked pure running back. He broke more tackles than any other back in college and has a lot of long runs to his credit. Etienne is more of a traditional sized RB (5’10 205). Etienne had 43 runs of 20 yards or more, that’s the kind of explosiveness the Dolphins backfield could use. There are plenty of RB’s who would improve the quality of our backfield, but I think it’s time we really invested in getting a premier talent. Running backs have been devalued to a point in the NFL where they are rarely early to mid 1st RD picks, but I think there’s a good chance we could lose Najee Harris if we don’t take him at #18. Of course we could trade back either from #3 or from #18 and have a shot at him but I don’t think it’s likely he makes it to #36. The Chiefs took the first RB off the board last year at #32 (Clyde Edwards Helaire), and the guy I thought we would be the first back taken, D’Andre Swift was taken at #35. Another good choice for us would be Javonte Williams from NC. He’s a physical downhill runner with good size and speed 5’10 220.

Here’s what our RB’s did in 2020

Myles Gaskin – 142 carries – 584 yards – 3 TD’s / 41 receptions – 388 yards – 2 TD’s

Salvon Ahmed – 75 carries – 319 yards – 3 TD’s / 11 receptions – 61 yards – 0 TD’s

Patrick Laird – 13 carries – 72 yards – 0 TD’s / 10 receptions – 68 yards – 0 TD’s

We also had Matt Breida last season who gave us minimal production, despite most of us expecting him to be the change of pace and 3rd down back. We also got a little production from DeAndre Washington who is also not under contract in 2021. It’s clear we need to upgrade the talent in our backfield, so will 2021 be the year we go RB early? It’s difficult to say. I wouldn’t be surprised if they look for to upgrade the trenches in some fashion, either an OL, DL or even a playmaking LB or a CB. I’m going to hate to see Patrick Surtain II in another NFL uniform, but after drafting Noah Igbinoghene at #30 last year, I can’t imagine we would spend another first RD pick on a CB.

I don’t think there was DC that played our team that was overly concerned about our rushing attack. Nothing helps a QB more than a reliable, effective rushing attack. Proof of this is available from our own 2016 season with Ryan Tannehill and then any season while playing for the Tennessee Titans. Tannehill went from a run of the mill QB to a top 10 QB. I think we should do everything we can to help Tua become a better QB, so draft the best WR and RB in this draft and that’s a good start to getting him in that direction.

GO DOLPHINS 2021!!!

1,255 Responses to 2021 Position outlook – RB

Keep stepping on the gas, KC.

Piggy,

I’m almost upset that you don’t like Johnny Bananas. He’s a Bills fan so I have to agree with you.

Deshaun Watson just leaked the Bills on the top of his preferred teams list….

That’s some horrible reffing. They are trying their best to maker this a game.

This game is over

game

STUFF THE BUFF, BABY; STUFF THE BUFF!!
    I wonder how those bratwurst biters from Batavia like having the score run-up ON THEM??
    Another 21 by the Chiefs will make the final score 59-12–which is just about right for those A-holes!!
    ————————–
    NEXT SEASON One of Miami’s goals should be to sweep the Bills, just as they did for the ENTIRE DECADE OF THE ’70’S!!!
    ————————–
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: “The “O” in BUFFALO stands for Super Bowl wins !!!
    Hope you Buffalo fans enjoy another LONG winter of high taxes, low temperatures, and women with braided armpits!!

Why the hell don’t these guys know when to go for 2?!

YO Bookman , you got your Rodgers loss , now can I get a Go CHIEFS

That was a very satisfying game. And now I have someone to root for in the SB. Thank you, KC.

• manitobafinfan says:

Zactly, otherwise I was gonna pretend Brady was not a Buccaneer, and cheer for Tampa … I liked Tampa until he signed with them

• bookman11 says:

Yes, thank you KC. These games could not have turned out any better from my perspective at least…LOL

Where Miami lies in the rankings from a point total based on the Jimmy Johnson trade chart:
    Total of all picks points this off season.

Jacksonville Jaguars: 5,271.8 total value
    New York Jets: 4,554.0 total value
    Miami Dolphins: 4,304.2 total value
    Atlanta Falcons: 2,770.2 total value
    Cincinnati Bengals: 2,645.9 total value

I am really working myself up for a potential trade down this year from the #3 pick. It’s like Manna from heaven. We may be able to get a free 1st round pick next year by trading down from the almost free pick from this year. (almost free because when we agreed to trade for it we didn’t know where it would be. It could have been a low first rounder instead of the #3 overall)
    We could possibly trade down to #7 with Detroit and pick up their pick from next season (which will more than likely be a high pick again, at least higher than our own pick)

I am all about having two mid round first round picks every year LOL

If we do that, we’ll still have two 1st and 2nd this year and probably another 1st next year and some other picks giving us two 1st+ again next year.

Based on the chart after a swap with Detroit they’d owe us 700 points, so their 2nd and 3rd this year. The 2nd would be equivalent to a 1st next year, but since they’d be looking for a QB and we’d have the leverage they’d likely have to sweeten the pot.

The value chart in this instance just gives us an indication of what the minimum compensation would be.

Also a team like Detroit isn’t going to give us a 1st next year as a willing trade partner, because they’re rebuilding, but they may not have a choice.

Houston on the other hand was in win now and trading future 1sts wasn’t a big deal.

As good as Buffalo was this year it pales in comparison to what KC is. They’re so hard to contain, when the game is on the line, and seem to be able to flip the switch.

Terry Bradshaw was wrong again.

Brady was lucky his D bailed him out. After 3 ints and several wobbly passes he doesn’t seem to be to beat KC, without lots of luck and a lot of help from his D.

Opening line KC by 3.5, but I expect closer to 7 by game time. 6.5 is my guess.

15. Capt. Stubbs says:

Pig, love the house boat you picked. Mobfest on that would be awesome lol.

Phelonious, that sea hunt 25cc. Is probably the best boat for your dollar. I’ve got a buddy that has one. Super dry boat and handles well if caught out there in some nasty stuff. You will get wet then. All of the hardware seems top notch for a production boat. I think it tops out around 50mph. I would say perfect boat for the keys. My buddy uses it on the west coast. Crystal river area.

Down side, which is any boat under 30 you sometimes get caught in between swells. 30 normally will get you to the next swell so you don’t stuff the bow. Great boat though

16. Capt. Stubbs says:

What is up with our OC search? Hopefully we’ll have one before the senior bowl

I can see something like Stafford to the patriots for the 15th pick
    Then the 15th and the 7th to Miami for the 3 pick

Giving us 3 first Rounders again this year

Imagine if we had 7, 15 and 18

• Capt. Stubbs says:

Maybe we could package all those for an OC

Lol….the good news is we have hired some coaching staff for our offense

I don’t know why we’ve been so patient but I do feel like there is a plan for the hire

As we did 2 years ago with Flores, you have to wait until the coaches current team is out of playoffs. That’s been the rumor this time as well.

We seem to be waiting on one of Buffalo’s O coaches, so maybe today is the day.

• Capt. Stubbs says:

I hope so

• Capt. Stubbs says:

I just hate that there’s no continuity in that spot. However on the bright side, it seemed we were able to cover tight ends this year. Wasn’t sure we were ever going to figure that out

For Josh Allen fans

19. Capt. Stubbs says:

Pig
    When you say adding staff, as meaning Charlie Frye…. I feel like thats subtracting lol

Honestly I don’t know a thing about him except there is a prior relationship with Tua

I guess we will find out

I think there’s a plan at OC

I heard we’re in talks with Johnny Bananas for our OC.

I have basically tuned out the NFL again this year (once the Dolphins are eliminated I only half pay attention after) but I am very happy this morning that the Bills will not be in the SB. Hopefully the Dolphins can keep them out next year too!

Thanks, Capt. Stubbs.

23. bailbondmike says:

Imagine if we had 7, 15 and 18
    ——————————–
    DeVonta Smith, Jalen Waddle and Najee Harris in the 1st!

Swap picks with Detroit for Stafford, you can still get your WR and have a vet qb to boot plus other picks from detroit in compensation due to the burden of Staffords contract..

Or for Tua and #3

Not really interested in a career stat collector, who has lead very few double digit win teams in Detroit on the south side of his his career

2021 will be year 13 of Stanford’s career – he’s very close to retirement

We need to develop a young QB if we want to turn around the last 20 years of mediocrity
      And we already have one year under our belt with Tua

Am I reading the comments above correctly? Some of you would trade the #3 pick AND Tua for Stafford?!?!? I am so glad you are not in charge.

Stafford is a few years away from retirement

There are a few places he fits: the colts, the patriots, maybe an nfc easy team that thinks they can take the division with better QB play. A team like the Vikings or the saints that may be thinking short term

But a team like ours that his been accumulating draft picks to build a young team – I don’t think so

He’s the antithesis of the kind of players we are bringing in

26. Capt. Stubbs says:

Pig,
    The only thing I really know about him is that he was a Browns QB….. Tua probably can teach him a thing or two lol

I completely missed that they had hired Charlie Frye as a QB coach. I was wondering why some of you were discussing him and googled his name to find out that he was hired last week.

What a day!

ROFLMAO!!! My apologies to Herd for being sexist.

For all who would like to see our government fixed.

I am wondering and a bit concerned that we don’t have our OC yet, or even some kind of thoughts about who it will be. The one issue I have with Flores is the coaching turnover is ridiculously high. Tua on his 2nd system in as many years, our offensive players in the 3th in 3. Good thing they are so young and new to the NFL.

I think last years offensive system was not built for Tua’s strengths and that’s why we have new offensive coaches. All the ones let go were Gaily or someone he recommended. Guys coming in are younger and used to working with today’s college products. As for an OC, we may not have thoughts about it as fans, but I’ll bet Flores knows exactly what he wants.

Could our new OC be Ken Dorsey? I’m hearing it’s a distinct possibility.

So at the moment, we need a new OC and a new D-Line coach.

36. Capt. Stubbs says:

Mf13 my brother hope you’re doing amazing. I feel the same way as new age. People say this guy doesn’t fit this person or this one. I hope are next OC isn’t one dimensional… fingers crossed

Aye, Capt! Great to see ya here, old friend! I hope you’re doing amazing as well, Bro!

Yessir, I too hope our next OC is going to be multi-dimensional, adding to the perplexity of our Offense. If our running game gets shut down, RUN IT. If our passing game gets shut down, PASS IT.

Can’t wait for the NFL Draft, man!

Oy! I screwed that up above, LMAO!

If our running game gets shut down, PASS IT!
        If our passing game gets shut down, RUN IT!

Dear Abby:

I’m feeling torn about who to root for in the Super Bowl. I really don’t want Brady to win. Byron Leftwich was a Herd QB and I don’t want to root against him. What should I do?

Signed Herdfan not a Buc fan

Dear Herdfan not a Buc fan,

What a pickle you seem to have found yourself in, still rooting for Leftwich as if he’s the only thing Marshall has given be league in the last 20 years, you have to let it go dear, he’s in coaching which means you are embarrassing yourself. You must move on and to help you move on I’ll ask you to focus your attention on an active player, a player on the Chiefs named Omari Cobb.
      Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

Sincerely, Abby

• herdfan says:

Lol, I totally forgot about him! And Byron already has a ring. Done!

Go Chiefs!

Thanks Son… uh, I mean Abby.
        😂

LOL Sonny! Well done!

Son, that was nice!! LOL

Trade with Detroit for 7, 15, and 41, then draft Micah, Waddle, and Harris. We’d have 3 picks in the 2nd to get DE, S, and NB.

Or trade with SF and draft Pitts, Waddle, Harris.

i am rooting for Tampa Bay, i live 2 hrs from there, i also don’t like KC. too cinderella.
    If Brady wins this one he’s definitely GOAT. probably still is either way.
    unbelievable it’s a home game for TB!
    give credit where credit is due.

i was wanting miami to get Brady last off season.

Rioting for a 3rd straight night in the Netherlands over COVID lockdowns. I guess the dems plan to make sure Trump isn’t elected anywhere in the free world is working to perfection, lol.

Those wascally wabbits.

Left all over the world does the opposite of what the right does, if you say night they’ll say its day, and yet people still think their govt is for them.

Power, power, power and greed.

If the left had it their way we’d be paying all of our money to them, and they’d distribute it as they see fit, but of course they’d be paid first, because they know what’s best for us.

Kong – Now I get why Rob doesn’t like Tua, because he’s left (and short)

44. Rhino says:

New Kiper mock … he has 3 WRs going in the top 6 picks (2, 3, 6). 🙄 Now THAT’s a ‘maroon’ lol

I’m just going to leave this hear for anyone worrying about bread lines and the like.

But you can will continue to believe propaganda and falsehoods fed to you by fear mongers.

Is it “unstrike” Test

test still testing

Fake news.

In fact, as Figure 1 shows, growth has always slowed down when a Republican president replaced a Democrat and always sped up when a Democrat replaced a Republican. There are no exceptions.3

Its fact that Obama was the only president to never have a GDP of 2%, yet your article say no exceptions, but this for China, because we’re paid off by China is a different animal. We’re following the major steps Venezuela went thru 20 years ago. Destroy history, cheat the elections…

Anyone notice what cost GB the NFC Championship on Sunday? That’s right our very own Billy Turner. He’s a poor man’s Colonblow.

Darn, Steve, I was hoping you’d give me one more response so I could get the Tasmanian Devil in there. LOL

AHH PFFT DAH PFFT AHH OOO!!

The world would be a much better place if all political talk was required to be Looney Tunes themed.

Instead of loathing your opponent, you’d be forced to love him, and hug him, and pet him, and squeeze him, and you could name him George…

• pheloniusphish says:

You’re on a roll! Did your wife let you into the Tequila again?

No more tequila for this ape. Tequila and Kong = failure to launch, lol. The wife always ends up asking “Where’s the kaboom? There’s supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!”

LOL Kong’s Wife

What is it about tequila that some people can’t handle? Kong, you’re at least the 10th person I’ve heard that has an adverse reaction.

Did body shots, whole bottle 1 liter, back in the 90s with an Ex one night, then next day drove to Sacramento to buy her a car, she was hurtin’ all the way there.

In Mazatlan 1986, one of the girls did 5 shots in the club, next day on a catamaran she was puking her guts out. The guide says we can go to this island and gets some beers, she should have.

I used to drink tequila like water. The first problem I had was around 20 when it started giving me an overactive case of superman syndrome like no other alcohol, nothing even came close. After a couple of close calls, I stopped drinking it pretty much altogether. I’ll do a triathlon shot of top end tequila every so often, but I basically just stopped it as a regular drink.

The other night I decided to revisit some good tequila and had about 12 shots or so (over about 3 hours), and it blew me right out of the water. No superman syndrome, just couldn’t f^cking function syndrome, lol.

The wife thing was just a joke to get my Marvin quote in there. I was so utterly wasted, my wife had to take care of me like I was a dumb teen drunk for the first time. An amorous encounter was never even part of the equation LOL.

So I don’t know what happened with me and tequila, but 12 shots over 3 hours isn’t something that would put me under the table like that with any other alcohol, so yeah, tequila does something to me. Must be the agave.

57. bailbondmike says:

Eskridge is my 4th round pick if we were to double down on WR there.

RTP (Rockphin Trady Pants) opened the store

113: R4 P11 DL Tedarrell Slaton – Florida
    120: R4 P18 EDGE Rashad Weaver – Pitt
    191: R6 P12 OT Adrian Ealy – Oklahoma
    195: R6 P16 WR T.J. Vasher – Texas Tech
    196: R6 P17 FB Ben Mason – Michigan
    253: R7 P31 K Evan McPherson – Florida

Humphrey is a left handed snapper to go along with our left handed QB

Fascinating, especially the govt corruption part around the 19 minute mark.

Nice! I know PBD (not personally). He’d followed me for many years on Twitter before he pared down from so many he followed. Patrick in one very sharp individual, and I appreciate that cat.

DeVonta Smith’s lack of mass doesn’t bother me as much as it would have about 10-15 years ago, when the NFL was still about hulking LBs and lumber-laying Safeties. See, the NFL has adopted the college/spread Offense, and it’s been that way for several years now.

THAT SAID, no way am I taking DeVonta @ R1P3… TRADE DOWN a few/several spots, and take him then.

You guys can have your tequila… YUCK! Haven’t drank/drunk that stuff for over 20 years. To me (drinking it straight), it was akin to acid on my throat and stomach, and it didn’t really fade me, to boot. And the thought of eating the worm on the bottom of the bottle damn near make me puke.

If I ever win a bottle of tequila, I’ll gladly gift it to one of y’all here, just pay the shipping and handling.

At this time, which prospects do you think are worthy of #3? No trade downs, if we have to pick at #3.

GREAT question, and it’s quite debatable, as it concerns modern NFL vs classic NFL.

I’ll take you through MY thinking… Tua is our guy (unless we surprise and trade for Deshaun), so NO QBs are worthy of our #3. That out of the way…

– Penei Sewell… but can you imagine the whole rigamarole of RT vs LT, vs the $$$ he could get as a LT vs RT, vs there’s only ONE (current) southpaw starter (Tua) in the NFL? I don’t think he plays into our hands… he’s going to be one of the best LTs of the new generation. If we take Penei, we either move Austin Jackson to RT, or just put Penei at RT. Seems like a MAJOR headache to me, and likely to Penei’s agent and Penei himself. What’s more, Flores is more an advocate to get the ball out of a QB’s hand on time (see Tom Brady), rather than building an impenetrable fortress. I don’t think we take a Tackle @ R1P3, but he’s worthy, IMO.

– Micah Parsons… but do we really need an ELITE LB so early, as we rotate for freshness, and our LB unit as a whole kicked azz? We have a ‘no-name’ LB corps, and that’s why no Offense can key on any given individual from that corps. Micah opted out of the ’20 season, so is he still pristine after a one-year layover? Nevertheless, Parsons is NICE, and IMO, he’s worthy.

– Ja’Marr Chase… he’s hella NICE, but like Micah above, he opted out of the ’20 season. Is he still pristine after a one-year layover? He the tallest and thickest of the ’21 Draft WRs, but even he’s undersized at 6’1″, 208. We’re not talking about past WRs who’ve gone in the early 1st round. He’s worthy @ R1P3, but I think it’s a reach.

To be honest with ya Tim, these are the only three players I see as BPA @ R1P3. I don’t think in any other draft that these top-3 WRs (Chase, DeVonta, Waddle) would be drafted in the top-10… but Mel Diaper Jr, thinks all three of these WRs will be gone by R1P6. Maybe he’s right, maybe he’s not.

I say trade down a few slots, but that’s only my $.02, bud.

Those are my 3 too. When you question those guys, who fills the spot other than QB? No trading down was the question, lol. But we didn’t draft Tua at #5 to say let’s move on the next season. I think we have to get over that. Fans act like he looked totally lost and lost every game he played in. Totally not the case.

Our OL was being renovated, our WR position took opt-out hits and we struggled to stay healthy. RB is the same thing. The core skill players definitely need an influx of new/better talent.

Yes #3 is a trade down spot for sure and I think we will get calls, but will the offer be good enough? Grier has done a nice job in that arena.

2021 was always the big year, you gotta be good in year three. 5-11, 10-6, ?

Kong – Thought you’d find this funny. This morning I’ve been listening to WFAN on and off and I’ve probably heard the SB preview 5 times and each time the WFAN voice guy says “Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers take on Pat Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs”.

Man, I thought that was an EPIC mock draft above and all I got was an LOL from Tim Night

January 26, 2021 at 11:28 am
    Kong – Now I get why Rob doesn’t like Tua, because he’s left (and short)
    ________________________________________________________

during and after the Buffalo game i read into your comments as having major doubts in Tua’s ability, have you changed your position? I just go by what i see, Tua couldn’t get the ball downfield, that is a major problem, Opposing DCs will key on this!

I think he will continue to struggle with that due to his lack of arm strength which leads to bandages in his throwing motion,

he has to counteract his body with his throws moving his throwing hand away from his head to get velocity, this creates a sidearm throw. being that he is 5’11 & 7/8ths tall with that side arm throw makes him even shorter, that’s why he struggles to get the ball down the field, he needs a very wide open throwing lane, he may get that from time to time when he scrambles but for the most part he will be limited in the pocket.

A typical pro QB has an over head throwing motion, some rely on side arm throws but their typical arm path is overhead, see Drew Brees.

I sure hope we get Fitz back or get a FA vet, I’m sure we will have to endure growing pains until this FO figures out Tua’s not the future.

I didn’t say anything about his future as a QB, just that he can’t win throwing only short passes. He didn’t really have a chance in that game, we didn’t play defense and we didn’t have the receivers to win that one once the score got ugly. I don’t care how he throws the ball as long as it’s strong and accurate. He’ll be a different QB next season. It’s byond ridiculous to want to replace him at this point.

Rosen is better than Tua

Anybody hiring?
    6 figures to gather Miami Dolphins info and generally screw around on the internet all day?

Asking for 150,000 friends

What good is a great arm attached to a player who doesn’t give a fuck? Do you guys think Fitzpatrick has a stronger arm than Tua?

Rockphin says:
    January 27, 2021 at 9:34 am

bookman11 says:
    January 27, 2021 at 10:40 am
    Oh, you are just looking for comments? Ok, it sucked.

Rockphin says:
    January 27, 2021 at 12:51 pm
    Well, Diet Mountain Dew Sucks!

LOL!

LOL, Mike. That is pretty funny. It just goes to show most of these sports guys on tv and the radio don’t do their homework.

MF13, thanks for the recommendation, but I’m usually not too keen on banana flavored stuff. I like bananas, and stuff made with bananas, just not banana flavoring very often. It’s one of those things that doesn’t translate for me because they don’t taste the same at all…same thing with watermelon vs watermelon flavored stuff. I may still give it a try since you recommended it though.

I always thought the same. Why do they call this watermelon!? It tastes nothing like watermelon! Banana is worse as you point out. Grape is the worst IMO, but in it’s defense, “grape” flavor always tastes like Cow shit to me.
      When we were kids and would pick shrooms from the cow fields we always added grape koolaid to the mix to choke it down (the hottest girl in our group liked grape) I drank so much grape koolaid flavored Shroom tea that they are permanently intertwined in my mind.

As always, in moderation…

ICYMI

I’m not really allowed to talk about the movie yet, but suffice it to say it’ll end in a team-up.

The first tourists to space have booked their trip to the international space station. They will spend 8 days on the space station. For the week long vacation each of the three businessmen who have signed up for the trip will pay $55M.

Bummer!

RIP Cloris Leachman

I wonder how David is feeling about the surging stock of ‘GameStop’? LOL
    WE THE PEOPLE!!!

It looks like the Miami media is already locked in on DeVonta Smith for us. So when we don’t draft him at #3 they can bash the team all year and for years to come.

I REALLY want DeVonta for us, just not at the R1P3 position. There’s no way he’s truly worthy of the R1P3 position, as we discussed yesterday, bud.

I like Smith as a WR but his frame does scare me. I see people saying he’ll get bigger but I’m not sure he can carry more than 10 more lbs. if that. He reminds me of Lamar Thomas who was never as good in the NFL as he was in college.

100% agreed with ya, Tim: DeVonta hasn’t the frame to add much more weight. I foresee him getting HIT THE FUNK UP over the middle one day, and his career will be over.

STILL, I love DeVonta.

Look at WR’s like A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Odell Beckham Jr., DeVante Parker etc. All much bigger guys. Preston Williams is also built real thin at 6-5 210 and he hasn’t survived a season in his first two.

This song is incredible!!!

Greg Kihn Band – Jeopardy (extended version)

• Krishna says:

You must be a funky disco fan…not me.

Agreed. I remember going to dance clubs in my early 20’s because that’s where the chicks were going. This was a great song to dance with girls and have fun – possibly leading to more. 🙂

This song has a little bit of Beats/Disco and Rock. It’s part of that time forever. They still sounded more 70’s with real players before machines really took over the genre.

Being a certain height and weight doesn’t make you more durable. I understand why people think it is but it doesn’t mean it’s true. This is not the NFL it used to be and guys aren’t lit up over the middle anymore. You can be wiry like Smith and be resilient. Think of Bruce Lee.

I don’t remember Bruce Lee going over the middle.

I remember him going over the middle, under the middle, through the middle and coming out unscathed. Just saying it’s a fallacy that just because you’re a certain height and weight you’re more prone to being injured in a contact sport. It’s just not true.

LOL

It’s not totally about his height/weight Smith is a frail WR, Bruce Lee was built to take punishment.

Smith has been able to overcome this in college, but can he do it in the NFL? I think the odds he can are enough in question, that you don’t draft him #3.

If he’s there at 18 I’m taking him, but at 3 he needs to be more of a sure thing.

OBJ has missed a shit ton of games. A.J. Green has missed a bunch of games and doesn’t seem like the same receiver. While Smith reminds me of Lamar Thomas too, I brought that up on this blog, that doesn’t mean he ends up like him. We’re too fast in drawing conclusions from similarities. Tua got hurt and he has the right size/weight, it doesn’t matter.

Mike, you’re missing the point. Yes, he may end up being the best WR in the history of the NFL, but its not about that, it’s about his floor.

For the same reason we shouldn’t have taken Tua at 5, can we risk another possible bust at #3? Good way to get the coach sent packing.

Uh Steve, maybe you’re the one missing the point? Saying that we shouldn’t have taken Tua at 5 is horseshit,and shortsighted. The fact that you’re so convinced we shouldn’t makes me think we probably should.

Just playing the odds Mike😏

Something we know about here.

The Tua reference was just to say 2 years in a row making a risky pick. I can see why you do it for QB, but not WR.

In Tua’s defense we’ve seen other pretty good to great QBs with weaker arms Pennington, Brees, Montana, Greise…they succeeded with various over the top intangibles, which Tua possesses, but Tua has the injury issues, so again risky for various reasons.

It wasn’t a risky pick if we had the medical records and spoke to doctors. You make it seem like they just blindly chose him. Was he healthy this season? Yes! Did Joe Burrow get hurt this season? Yes! Flo is going to be spending a week with this kid close up, if we take him, it won’t be any more risky than any other pick.

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 12 (S.F.): Micah Parsons, ILB/OLB, Penn State (A)
    Round 1 Pick 18: Creed Humphrey, C/OG, Oklahoma (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 4: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 11 (S.F.): Azeez Ojulari, DE/OLB, Georgia (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 18: Sage Surratt, WR, Wake Forest (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 17: ArDarius Washington, FS/SS, TCU (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 18: Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 23: Sam Ehlinger, QB, Texas (A+)

Your Future Picks:
    2022 Round 1 Pick
    2022 Round 1 Pick (S.F.)

I keep seeing articles saying the dolphins should trade for Watson, or the Dolphins should trade for Stafford. WTF!? I personally don’t like that we picked Tua last year at #5, but for goodness sake! STAFFORD!?!?! COME FUCKING ON!! I am adamantly opposed to trading for Watson too. FFS! Just shut the f up with this BS noise! I swear if this team is so stupid as to trade away this years draft for a malcontent running QB I will burn their fucking new headquarters to the ground.

This from Joe Shad at the PBP;

“The Dolphins have no choice but to pursue Watson, who is everything the club hopes Tua Tagovailoa may one day be.”

Really Joe? You fucking moron! Of course they have a choice! the ONLY choice is the ignor the morons like you and keep to the plan. THAT IS THE ONLY CHOICE!

That statement screams “some one please read me”

Everything the Dolphins have done this off-season indicates that they won’t pursue Watson – people that are still pushing it probably just want something to talk about this off-season

Why hasn’t Flores picked his OC!? Could it be that he just happened to want a guy from KC or Tampa? I find it unlikely. Why the hell hasn’t the position been fill then?

I think he’s giving the 2 guys already on the staff a chance to prove themselves calling plays at the Senior Bowl.

If 1 of them takes the next step he’s the man, otherwise I think we’ll pursue Dorsey. Dorsey is my choice.

He fits the wasn’t good enough on talent alone so had to hone other skills mold. I think those type of guys make the best teachers

91. Rhino says:

Regarding Devonta Smith’s durability…

In his four years at Alabama (in a conference chock full of future NFL defensive stars), Smith did not miss any playing time due to injury until the 2nd half of this year’s title game.

2020, 2019, 2018 he played every game.
    2017, as a freshmen, he only played 8 games as he tried to break into a core made up of Calvin Ridley, Jerry Jeudy, and Henry Ruggs III.

I tend to agree with MikeE that ‘durability’ is a lot more than size. His Bruce Lee point, I think, was that knowing how “to take a hit” is also an important part of avoiding injury.

Every single pick in the draft is risky, a crap shoot. There are no sure things.

Ammolite – Regarding your OC question, I think they are in no hurry because they know it’s one of their internal candidates and they are trying to do it the right way.

93. bailbondmike says:

M13, when you posted the Greg Kihn song Jeopardy (which I like a lot) made me think of Peter Gabriel for some reason and his funky ass video’s. lol

Since we are making martial arts film star comparisons I think I should point out the Devonta Smith is bigger than Jackie Chan who has proven himself to be pretty durable

When you dress up for your Deshaun Watson click bait daily

Smith is taller than DeSean Jackson but they are basically the same weight

Jackson hasn’t been durable at this stage of his career but the early part of his career saw him only kissing about 4 games in 4 years which is actually much better than the much bigger Devontae Parker

I don’t want to attack Parker but we all know he hasn’t been very durable over his career and usually when the topic comes up, there seems to be a discussion about his training habits or his diet rather than his size

It’s not just about physical durability, you also have to be mentally tough.

A frail guy like Smith gets hit a few times, then starts to develope alligator arms and he’s done.

But he hasn’t been frail during his career at Alabama

He’s facing some of the toughest DBs in college every week in college

The NFL is a different animal, everyone is bigger and faster and hits harder and gets to the ball right now.

When you watch a college game the receivers are wide open all day long, some of that is scheme too.

It’s getting to the point in the NFL where it’s nearing flag football. You can’t hit players like you used to, I don’t think there’s anything for a WR entering the NFL to worry about. I’m not even saying we have to take Smith at #3, a trade back would fine but I’m not scared to draft him anywhere because he would make our offense much more dangerous.

Don’t kid yourself, it’s not Duck Butkus’ NFL, but they still hit.

It’s not even close to Lamar Thomas’ NFL. Yeah, athletes are bigger faster but any excessive contact is frowned upon and you know this if you watched at least a handful of games this season.

Awwwwww that was sweet of you Phel, but I am just a plain old Rockphin, not a fancy rainbow colored Rockphin.

Steve – I don’t see the frail thing. If i was going to knock him it would be about non-elite speed.

I don’t think most injuries in the NFL these days come from getting hit hard. Most of them seem to be soft tissue injuries or joint issues due to getting twisted or fallen on or slipping or catching a cleat. Other than concussions which is the same for everyone no matter how durable or big you are, it’s not the hits that are the problem.
    ****
    Who doesn’t love the 6’4” 225 pound WR? I know I do. That’s a no brainer….but it doesn’t mean smaller guys can’t be just as good or durable. There are tons of examples of small guys being very productive and healthy in the NFL. I can certainly hear the idea that Smith isn’t worth a #3 pick…but not due to durability issues….which, I believe, he’s never had.

We should get Deshaun restructure for like 10 years and never look back. Sorry Tua sorry Dandre Smith sorry Najee but not sorry for a different set of guys who will get it done. This is opportunity knocking answer the call.

Krishna says:
    January 27, 2021 at 10:10 pm
    You must be a funky disco fan…not me.
    —————-
    Hey, Krishna,

You got funky right, but ‘Jeopardy’ was NOT disco… I’m NO fan of disco music, not that there’s anything wrong with it. I’m about the FUNK… call me ‘Captain Save the Funk’. I’m a disciple of sorts to George Clinton, not the Bee Gees.

Yeah, disco and funk are kind of cousins, but there is a HUGE difference between the two. I should think you would know that, regarding some of your recent racial commentary.

Not trying to nitpick on ya, but bro, c’mon now… 😉

I’ll admit it. I loved The Bee Gees. Sue me! Lol

THIS is not disco…

MF13,
    I recently watched a documentary about The Bee Gees. I think it was on Netflix, but I can’t remember. I really enjoyed it, and it went into detail about how disco came about and how it is connected to other music genres. Check it out if you enjoy that sorta thing.

THIS is not disco…

I really like some disco, so have at it! If you like to dance, you almost have to like disco

Randy says:
    January 28, 2021 at 6:46 pm
    MF13,
    ————–
    THANK YOU! Yes, I’m very interested to see this.

Just so ya know, I’m NOT knocking disco music. I’m trying to tell Krishna that there’s a BIG difference between disco and funk.

I hope I’m not pizzing too many people off! LOL

Thank you, Randy.

son,
    I’ve never been a big fan of Neil Diamond. I don’t dislike him. I just never really got into his music. I will, however, listen to his music for 24 hours straight if the Dolphins agree NOT to trade for Watson. Lol

Sonny – You blew your player wish wad on Suh. You have used up your player wish funds bro. Sorry. lol

My wife can name most disco songs in two beats it’s scary and also amazing
    Too much American Bandstand

Krishna,

Upon yet another listen, I suppose I can hear some elements of disco on this song. Perhaps this was one of those songs that bridged funk and disco… but to me, it was clearly more funk than disco.

I don’t want to get in a war with you on this kind of thing, either! LOL
    Sorry, but I LOVE this song, regardless!

MF13,
    No worries! Guys like you and Tim who have an abundance of musical knowledge amaze me, and I enjoy reading your thoughts on it because I’m as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to music. I know nothing. I just know what I like. Blues is my favorite genre, but I’ll listen to just about anything if it makes me wanna tap my toe or sing along.

Randy, I’ve been into music for as long as I can remember. I liked The Beatles when I was 3 years old. I listen to all types of music so I know a bit about it. 🙂

The Bee Gees were not a disco band, they made a disco album that was huge as was the film. ‘Saturday Night Fever’ is a part of American pop culture.

I like a lot of disco from the 70’s because they played their instruments. If you listen to many disco songs other than just the dance beat, you can hear a lot of cool stuff going on.

That documentary I mentioned to MF13 actually explained that very thing….that The Bee Gees weren’t really a disco band but just happened to have a mega hit album….and how it pigeonholed them for awhile. Give it a watch if you’re so inclined.

I saw it and it was really good. That idiot disc jockey started that whole “Disco Sucks” movement that then went after the Bee Gees. In the documentary you see what great songwriters they were and how many songs they wrote for other artists.

Sonny – I meant with the Bucs

Yeah, I wanted to go back in time and slap that DJ. What a self-important dick.

Exactly! A long time friend of mine and I have never liked critics. So many bands and artists who were deemed as shit by critics that went onto rule the world, as the critics sit at their desk typing their negative opinions because they don’t get it – eating donuts and sniffing their own farts. Fuck them!!! LOL

Asshole Gase caused us to lose Landry arguably the fourth best draft pick this team ever made but they fucked it up. He’s exactly what we need so desperately now. Oh and by the way has never missed a game gee whiz.

120. Krishna says:

Pp…saw the Mike Douglas video. Agreed!

121. Krishna says:

Mf13ss, if you want to poke fun at my musical knowledge, have at it. I’m clueless, but it might make you feel better.

122. Krishna says:

USA Today had an article by Mike Jones, “Hiring Review”, with the byline, “New faces, more front office diversity now in NFL.” Kudos, but still a ways to go. One step at a time.

123. Krishna says:

Najee Harris looks big at Senior Bowl. Durability aside, he can take on LBs and Safeties at next level, shown plenty of vision, has hands, and can stay back to block, if needed. Has everything you would want in an all down back, imo.

I think you have to try to get him. Where?

Boy, I’m glad he has hands…..Makes it hard to carry the ball without them….LOL! JBB

He really looks like a solid all around back
      I also think Javonte Williams looks good if we don’t get Harris

But Harris is my first choice at RB

I had to scroll past all of the “jive talk”

Be proud of yourselves geezers. You’ve got me into watching Bosch now.

I’m glad Son isn’t running this team. We’d be in cap hell with no draft picks and a 3-1024 record. All 3 would be against the Jets, so there’s a silver lining.

125. bailbondmike says:

Krishna, Najee Harris at #18 for me.

126. bailbondmike says:

Dang, I had OC Quinn Meinerz on my UDFA list. Now he is moving up draft boards. Plays OC and can play both OG positions. I read up on him 2 weeks ago but was thinking about level of competition but if he is mauling at the Senior Bowl then tells me he is on Div 1 level.

This morning 3 teams have reportedly contacted Houston regarding Deshaun Watson. Jets, Panthers and Bears. I’d bet HOU would prefer an NFC team

son of a son of a shula says:
    January 28, 2021 at 6:41 pm
    That’s alright I’m an admitted Neil Diamond fan it’s all good. They a lot of good music.

There you go Son! I like Neal Diamond also. I will add it to my play list for the next time we are sitting around listening to my “good music”

Krishna says:
    January 29, 2021 at 9:42 am
    —————-
    Krishna, in no way had I poked fun at your — or anybody else’s — music knowledge, bud. All I’d stated was there is difference between funk and disco, and tried to illustrate (educate?) by posting several songs. If I wanted to belittle you or attack you, everybody else would know it. I was merely trying to clarify that i really like FUNK… disco, not so much.

If you took me the wrong way, I assure you that was NOT my intention at all. As far as I’m concerned, we’re good, sir… and I mean that, truly.

There ya go! EW&F, one of my favs, is an incredible band! And yes, this is disco… LOVE IT!

I didn’t say I dislike ALL disco! 😉

So up here in frigid Pennsylvania, the Stealers* are faced with a cap problem as it pertains to Big Ben… something I didn’t realize until today. If he comes back, he’s going to need to be restructured/extended, so as to minimize his cap hit. That, in order to re-sign/extend other players such as Minkah and TJ Watt.

Guys, the Stealers* CAN’T RUN THE FOOTBALL, and haven’t been able to do so for several years now… aka: ever since Le’Veon Bell left.

What I’ve heard from Stealers* camp over the last decade or so has generally been spot-on. That said, this is mere rumor, so take it with a grain of salt… they really covet Najee Harris.

I mentioned this several weeks ago, and we don’t know what the Stealers* will do to address the Big Ben situation. But as of right now, if we really want Najee Harris, we’ve got to take him before R1P24 (the Stealers*) pick.

Now if the Stealers* opt to trade for Matt Stafford (these are NATIONAL rumors, not local), it’s probably going to cost them their R1P24… that would be a relief for those of us (ME!) who really want to draft Najee (and that would include Tua).

Just adding some football talk on a lazy Friday afternoon. Any thoughts on this?

January 29, 2021 at 1:42 pm

*******

Are you telling me that the Dolphins are not interested after all the things the media has said?

Who would have expected our local best writers to mislead their readers to generate a controversy?

Not me…

Nope, just saying the Dolphins aren’t chasing. The other teams are

I should have used my sarcasm font bc that’s exactly what I meant

That shouldn’t say best writers that should say beat writers

My point is that a lot of local writers are driving the story and it’s pretty obvious the Dolphins aren’t interested

I present to you

The greatest prank ever coordinated to promote the remake of Carrie a few years ago

Where will Deshaun Watson end up?

I continue to hear… 49ers, Rams, Phins, and stej. Seems like these are ‘The Final Four’, according to most.

don’t care. As long as it is not here. I’m actually tired of hearing about it already. Crybaby who thinks more of himself than is healthy can go sell used cars for all I care. I don’t get to pick my boss, who the F does he think he is?

I just became a grandpa for the first time a few hours ago. I took the rest of the day off and am enjoying some drinks with my wife and listening to some funky stuff along with some disco. Can’t wait to actually meet the kid tomorrow when she comes home.

I’m feeling the love for my fellow man right now, so just want to say I’m happy to be part of this community, and no matter what our individual differences there is always common ground to be found amongst us. Celebrate life and love.

Be excellent to each other
    …and…
    party on dudes!

Kool & the Gang just might be the consummate transition from disco roots to a funk flavor, paving the way for a new generation of funk.

Congratulations Kong.

Congrats Cav
    I can’t wait for you to tell us it’s a perfectly healthy 500# boy! 😉

I believe he already indicated that it is a grand daughter. He can’t wait to meet the little one when SHE comes home.

If I were the Texans brass I would tell Watson “you insisted on having a no trade clause in your contract. So we are not going to trade you. If you sit out we will not pay you and we will sue you for the signing bonus. Now go and get in shape so you will be ready for camp.

139. bailbondmike says:

Congrats Cavpa! Just went to NC 3 weeks ago for my first grand childs (grand daughter) birthday. First time I got to see her due to COVID. Again, congratulations!

Congratulations Cav, happy for you man.
    Enjoy
    Cheers 🍾🥂

I think Watson ends up in Carolina.

Kong!! So excited for you man! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! WooHoo! Who’s the Grampa NOW?????

Rock, what do you mean Landry has the most receptions of anyone?

One thing about the amount of catches he had for us, half of them were on those bubble screens that both Philbin and Gase ran constantly. He’s never been a game changer.

Congrats Kong!

145. bailbondmike says:

Don’t know what made me think of Chris Cornell tonight. Maybe I just needed to hear something amazing even though it’s a sad song.

Tim, Landry has held the record for the most catches by a player in the first 4,5&6th seasons of their careers. Most in history. of ALL players.

I mean the most ever is kinda elite. no?

Oh right that stat. No I still do not think he’s elite. Like I said catching 50 passes a season on routes of 5 yards or less is not that impressive to me. 5 TDs per season average and 11.1 YPCA doesn’t scream elite to me. You watched the games, he’s never been a game changer. If he was never a Dolphin nobody here would even talk about him that way. It’s more of an emotional attachment as a fan than anything else.

I was a bitter susan when he left and talked shit, but man he is a good player and one hell of a second round pick. He is a willing blocker down field too Good all around player

That prank was hilarious,… and Mike E. I love lighting crashes. And Dolphins Cry and I alone.

Tried copy pasting and wouldn’t work weird.

Kong,

Congrats, bro! Hell of a good start to the weekend, huh?

For Kong. Peace & Love Brother. Congrats! 🙂

Cheers, everyone! Much appreciated 🙂

Toba – I fucking love Lightning Crashes

So being there will be no NFL Combine we can go by the Senior Bowl and Pro Days. But other than some analytic issues, we have to go by the tape. For me if we can land Micah Parsons and Najee Harris with our top two pics, I believe we will upgrade both sides of the ball with impact players making game changing plays and being more physical. That’s after whatever we do in FA and then we still have two 2nd round picks, a 3rd and a 4th. We can really upgrade this team this offseason.

This was the core I saw in 2020 on Defense.

NT Raekwon Davis
    DL Christian Wilkins
    DL Zach Sieler
    DE Emmanuel Ogbah
    DE Shaq Lawson (sometimes OLB)

LB Jerome Baker
    LB Van Noy
    LB Van Ginkel

CB X (nothing more needs to be said)
    CB Byron Jones
    CB Nik Needham
    CB Noah Igbinoghene (future)
    FS Bobby McCain
    SS Eric Rowe
    DB Brandon Jones

Some other players are key ST’s guys and backups. We need to add some special on offense and defense.

I’m wondering if we re-sign Godchaux. There was nothing not to like about him, he’s not a dominant player, but he’s a high effort guy and produces all the time.

Yes, I was just going by who played last year. Godchaux went down pretty early on. I’m a fan so I hope they do re-sign him.

Closing speed on defense (Josh Allen – Division) and big play ability on offense. But physical.

We have to beat BUF to win the division, they are the best team in the DIV and a top 2 team in the AFC. That’s who we have to beat. You stop Josh Allen and you beat them. Their defense is fast but you can knock them around.

January 29, 2021 at 8:01 pm

I mean the most ever is kinda elite. no?

———————————————————-

YES, I would have to agree

158. what a week in the market, lol
    made a ton of money thanks to the redditors crushing the shorters, I had some of their stocks they were driving up . im not part of the reddit group, but i always look for high volume and outperformers for good reasons.

20 Billion dollars went from shorter Billionaires pockets to working class AMericans, lol gotta luv it

this nation is the richest country on earth, if it doesnt feel or look like that, its because of wealth inequality

Rock – That record for Landry is going to be shattered a hundred times over. He’s not elite, he’s a reliable receiver and a good team player. I liked Landry, but he’s so far from being the best receiver in football.

160. AND btw, I have used Robinhood as one of my trading platforms, i was one of their first members when they were still in beta format/ paper trading only
    i like it because its FREE , lol and easy to use, the phone app is awesome.
    but they wont let me pick and choose what stocks i like, or let me buy more than one, etc

the reason Robinhood doesnt like all this , is because their owner is Citadel, an infamous shorter that got taken to the cleaners by its traders, so RH created a reason for a drop in price so their shorters could buy them cheaper

lol screw em all, im out, going to Ameritrade
    they even made me sell my American Airlines stock, WTF

161. Mike, i hope U are right, the fins could use a receiver thats so much better than Landry, we dont have that, but I can imagine what it would be like to have a Landry on the team

if the fins ever get a guy like that, he should be paid , or he will go star for someone less cheap with the player salaries

btw, Mike Wallace was brought in to replace Landry, and NO< he is not one of those hundreds that will break Landrys records, and has been gone so long ,,,,,,, Wallace sucked

Landry, is still going on,,,,,,

He’d be better than all of our receivers at the end of the season. He’s definitely more reliable as far as durability. He’s a possession receiver. He’s pretty much a better version of Davone Bess. That’s not a slap, it’s just how I see it.

162. if the fins could tie up Devonta Smith to a four year contract, then Smith will be on the team for 4 years before leaving for greener pastures

but thats far better than bringing in a high priced FA like Mike Wallace, that was just dumb, SMH

If Smith is a 1st round pick and he will be, it will be a 5 year deal with the 5th being an option. A 4 year deal is a given for 1st round picks.

163. BBM, i saw Cornell and Soundgarden at a concert in tampa , great group and frontman, even if the concert was the shortest i have ever seen

somebody needs to inform these groups , that 4 songs in 30 minutes, is NOT a full blown concert to charge inflated prices
    or at the very least, warn consumers that the concert could be over faster than a rerun of gilligans island

January 30, 2021 at 6:35 am

He only played in 5 games last season but had 75 combined tackles (33 solo) and 7 QB hits in 19′ I think if he is healthy they give him a show me contract. Sucks for him he was injured in a contract year.

He’s UFA this season so we’ll see if they wait or make an offer.

It was a biceps injury so there is a good chance he will come back this season 100%

Yeah, I think he should strongly be considered, he’s a team guy, hard worker who gets the job done, even if he’s not dominant or super athletic.

Team Picks
    Round 1 Pick 12
    Future Round 1 Pick
    Future Round 3 Pick
    Round 5 Pick 11

166. this mock trade from Fan nation sounds pretty good for the Dolphins,,,,

3. Carolina Panthers (via MIA from HOU): Trey Lance, QB, NDSU

TRADE: Carolina Panthers send picks 8, 40 and their 2021 1st to the Miami Dolphins for pick 3.

We have a trade! With a bunch of teams that have current questions at the quarterback position at the back end of the top ten and into the teens, Carolina should absolutely be looking to trade up for their next face of the franchise. With Teddy Bridgewater locked into his current deal at least through next season, they are in perfect position to draft Trey Lance. Lance has all the physical tools anyone could want in a quarterback in today’s age of football. Combined with sitting and learning behind Bridgewater for potentially a whole season, Trey Lance would be set up perfectly for success in Carolina with Matt Rhule.

4. Atlanta Falcons: Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

The Atlanta Falcons may be in for a rebuild soon. With a roster in decline, both in terms of age and performance, this organization needs a fresh start. And what better way to kick off a new era in Atlanta then with a new head coach and new quarterback. Matt Ryan has begun his decline, so drafting his future replacement in Zach Wilson would be a wise decision while they are picking this high in 2021. Wilson is a toolsy quarterback who should be able to reap success in an Arthur Smith-type offense in Atlanta.

5. Cincinnati Bengals: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

The Cincinnati Bengals will be hoping and praying for the draft to play out this way. Penei Sewell, potentially the best overall player in this class disregarding position, has fallen to the fifth pick. Cincinnati needs to invest heavily in this offensive line to aid their young, star quarterback Joe Burrow. Sewell is a building block that will play 10-plus years as a well-above-average starter wherever he ends up.

6. Philadelphia Eagles: Ja’Marr Chase, WR, LSU

The Eagles have invested heavily in the wide receiver position the past couple of offseasons. Drafting Jalen Reagor, Quez Watkins and John Hightower in 2020, their priority was clearly getting speed on the outside. Drafting Ja’Marr Chase would offer the Eagles offense something different for whomever may be the preferred starting quarterback of new head coach, Nick Sirriani’s choice. Chase is an excellent separator who can line up anywhere in an offense. He excels in contested catch opportunities outside the hashes as well as getting open very quick on underneath routes.

7. Detroit Lions: Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State

With Matthew Stafford looking to be on his way out at some point this offseason, the Lions look to be in pole position to tank for a top quarterback in next year’s draft. With that being said, Dan Campbell and new GM, Brad Holmes, need to infuse this team with as much young talent as they can this offseason to begin the culture reset in Detroit. Micah Parsons is an incredible player on the second level of the defense that can do it all as a linebacker. He would step in and instantly become a leader on that defense along with 2020 first-round pick, Jeff Okudah.

8. Miami Dolphins (via CAR): DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama

After trading out of the third overall pick, the Miami Dolphins hoped one of the top three receivers would fall back to them here. They struck gold here with acquiring DeVonta Smith, while still accumulating more draft capital in the process. As we saw at Alabama, Tua Tagovailoa was put in the best position to succeed when he had speed around him at the wide receiver position. Reuniting Tua with Smith in Miami would be great for all parties involved.

9. Denver Broncos: Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech

The Denver Broncos had a somewhat disappointing season on both sides of the ball. While some of the lackluster performance can be accredited to major injuries on both sides of the ball, their defense underwhelmed with more veteran players. Caleb Farley is extremely fluid in coverage, who can shadow receivers extremely well. Plugging Farley on the outside for Denver gives them a bonafide number one corner for their team.

10. Dallas Cowboys: Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama

The selection of Patrick Surtain II just feels like a perfect Dallas pick. He is a hard-nosed, aggressive corner who contributes to all facets of the game and can be a true difference-maker on a defense because of his ability and leadership. With Dak Prescott regaining his health heading into next season, expect their offense to perform well with all that they have. However, their defense still needs a ton of help with a ton of holes everywhere and drafting Surtain helps infuse more premium talent to that side of the ball.

11. New York Giants: Jaelen Phillips, EDGE, Miami

The New York Giants need pass-rush help from their edge room. While they have a stout interior defensive line with the likes of Dalvin Tomlinson, Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence, there is not much in that edge rusher group. Jaelen Phillips is a former top recruit coming out of high school who struggled with injuries at UCLA. Since transferring to Miami, he has stayed healthy and rediscovered his form as a premier pass rusher. Phillips has a chance to be the best edge rusher in this class and he would be a perfect fit for Patrick Graham’s defense.

12. San Francisco 49ers: Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina

A repeat pick from my last mock draft, Jaycee Horn to the 49ers makes so much sense. San Francisco is heading into this offseason with zero cornerbacks under contract. Combining that with the fact that they won’t have much money to work with in free agency, drafting a cornerback early in the 2021 NFL Draft is a must. Horn is excellent as a press corner because of his physicality and size at the position, he should find relatively immediate success in the league.

13. Los Angeles Chargers: Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech

Protect Justin Herbert! This has to be the priority for the Chargers going into this offseason. Whether that is in free agency or the draft or both, they have to get more talent on the offensive line. Christian Darrisaw fits exactly what they need in a left tackle and can start right away to displace Sam Tevi/Trey Pipkins from the starting lineup. Herbert flashed star potential in only his first season, so keeping the pocket clean for him to play his best football should be the first thing on the to-do list for new head coach, Brandon Staley.

14. Minnesota Vikings: Rashawn Slater, OL, Northwestern

Similar to the Chargers, the Minnesota Vikings should continue to look to build through the trenches. They put their offensive identity in the running game and after a big year for Dalvin Cook with a somewhat mediocre offensive line, improving in that area would continue to strengthen that identity. Rashawn Slater also gives them a lot of positional flexibility going forward because of his experience at tackle along with the frame to kick inside. Rookie offensive lineman, Ezra Cleveland, also showed the ability to be a good guard in the league while still maintaining the opportunity to play left tackle if needed.

15. New England Patriots: Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama

Filling the holes on the offense will be a priority for the New England Patriots. Their defense still showed they can be a great unit even with injuries and opt-outs in 2020. The offense, on the other hand, was hard to watch. Jaylen Waddle is a top receiver in this draft who would add so much to their offense, no matter who the quarterback will be, because of his playmaking ability and speed. He can also be a dynamic return specialist if they should choose to use him in that way.

16. Arizona Cardinals: Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida

The Kyle Pitts freefall has come to an end. It will be interesting to see where he does fall come April because he is a top-five player in this class talent-wise, but the tight end position is hard to value at the next level. Even though the Arizona Cardinals may have bigger needs on the defensive side of the ball, a player like Kyle Pitts would be hard to pass on if you are Kliff Kingsbury. Pitts would give their franchise quarterback, Kyler Murray, a type of weapon that few teams in the NFL have. He would be a constant matchup nightmare every single week because of his size and ability to line up anywhere on the offense.

17. Las Vegas Raiders: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

General manager Mike Mayock and head coach Jon Gruden have been a fan of drafting defensive players in the first round from big college programs. They add another one here in the versatile defender from Notre Dame, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah. He would be a huge addition to the second-level of this defense because of his dynamic play-speed and natural instincts at the position. Owusu-Koramoah will never have to leave the field based on the package because he can play as a base linebacker, pushed back to safety or even flexed out into the slot on occasion. He is a freak of nature and one of the most improved players in college football this season.

18. Miami Dolphins: Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa

Another linebacker comes off the board here to Miami with their second pick of the first round. With the way Brian Flores likes to run his defense using multiple schemes within the game plan each week, Zaven Collins is a very movable piece at linebacker who can do just about everything. Collins is a stout run defender and is extremely good at dropping back into coverage. Collins showcased that by racking up 54 tackles, four sacks and four interceptions last season, earning him the Nagurski Trophy for the nation’s best defensive player.

19. Washington Football Team: Sam Cosmi, OT, Texas

In a season where the Washington Football Team exceeded expectations and won their division, there seems to still be a lot of uncertainty on offense. There are a lot of remaining holes heading into free agency and the draft, which makes this pick hard because of all the possibilities. Sam Cosmi, an offensive tackle out of Texas is a great way to build from the inside out. Cosmi gives Washington a very athletic offensive lineman who is still developing his technical abilities at the position and has the potential to be a quality starter in the league for years to come.

20. Chicago Bears: Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama

Similar to the Washington Football Team, the Chicago Bears relied heavily on their defense to get them to a playoff appearance. Although their offense did pick up some steam in the last few weeks of the regular season when Mitch Trubisky re-assumed the starting job, they need to strive for more sustained success. The Bears go back to the trenches with another offensive lineman in Alex Leatherwood. Leatherwood is a very aggressive blocker who plays with a mean streak. With his experience at both tackle and guard, the Bears can line him up wherever they see fit in order to solidify their team up front.

21. Indianapolis Colts: Dillon Radunz, OT, NDSU

The recent announcement by Anthony Castonzo announcing his retirement from the game, offensive tackle is immediately propelled to a top need for the Colts. The organization does have a lot of money to play with in free agency so they may opt to sign one rather than draft one but until then, Dillon Radunz will be the pick. Radunz who has somewhat been forgotten about in the process because of his one-game season in 2020 for North Dakota State, can shoot up boards based on his performance at the Senior Bowl this week. He is a perfect fit with the identity of the Colts because of his aggressive playstyle as a run blocker who sets the tone at the line of scrimmage.

22. Tennessee Titans: Azeez Ojulari, EDGE, Georgia

The Tennessee Titans need pash rush help badly. They generated almost no pressure after the failed signings of Jadeveon Clowney and Vic Beasley last offseason. Harold Landry is a solid player but he needs help on the other side of the defensive line. Azeez Ojulari may be a perfect fit for this defense, lining up as a stand-up pass rusher who wins with legit quickness and speed. His hands are some of the quickest in recent memory. Even though his frame is on the smaller side, Ojulari has the potential to be a tremendous steal if he falls this far.

23. New York Jets (via SEA): Kwity Paye, EDGE, Michigan

After getting their quarterback in Justin Fields with the second overall pick, Robert Saleh will absolutely want to get that defense help. Besides Quinnen Williams up front and young secondary players in Marcus Maye, Ashtyn Davis and Bryce Hall, there is not much to ride home about in the front seven. Kwity Paye will intrigue Saleh very much as an edge rusher because of his athletic profile. Paye could be the first pass rusher taken in this draft but in this scenario, he has fallen into the 20s. The Jets should be all over this pick if it were to unfold like this in April.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Spencer Brown, OT, Northern Iowa

Although Steelers fans may want a running back here with all of them still available, the fact of the matter is that no matter who is back there will struggle behind their current offensive line. With Maurkice Pouncey retiring, Alejandro Villanueva’s future uncertain, as well as Matt Feiler becoming a free agent. The Steelers may not have anything moving forward in that department besides David Decastro, Kevin Doston and Chukwuma Okorafor. Adding a special, underrated talent in Spencer Brown would be crucial for Pittsburgh. Brown is a special athlete at his size and of course, plays with a lot of length. He can be a special player for years to come.

25. Jacksonville Jaguars (via LAR): Christian Barmore, iDL, Alabama

After drafting the face of the franchise with the first overall pick in Trevor Lawrence, the Jaguars should probably look to go with the best player available. Barmore has not gotten talked about as much as he probably should because of his under-the-radar performances for the Crimson Tide, especially with their offense getting most of the love. He quietly accumulated eight sacks this season along with getting consistent pressure from the interior. Putting him in between their young edge rusher in Josh Allen and K’Lavon Chaisson would be extremely fun to watch.

26. Cleveland Browns: Nick Bolton, LB, Missouri

The Cleveland Browns have swung away at the linebacker position in the draft the past couple of seasons and they do not stop here. This time, they opt to spend more premium draft capital than they have in the past to draft Nick Bolton out of Missouri. The Browns are in need of a true middle linebacker for the defense and Bolton can fill that void. He won’t wow you on tape with speed or eye-catching athleticism but he plays extremely smart by making good reads and taking good angles on his tackles.

27. Baltimore Ravens: Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida

Talk about fun. Adding a dynamic playmaker like Kadarius Toney to the Baltimore Ravens would be extremely scary for any defense to face. With a powerful running game led by Lamar Jackson and J.K. Dobbins, improving the receiving core is the next step to transform this offense to the next level. At the very least, Toney will attract a lot of attention from the defense because of his ability with the ball in his hands. He will be a preferred target of Lamar as an underneath receiver who can separate quickly in order to get the ball in his hands to make plays.

28. New Orleans Saints: Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Another repeat pick from my last mock draft, Eric Stokes to the New Orleans Saints makes a lot of sense. Stokes is a crazy athlete at cornerback with legit sub 4.4-speed on the outside. He can play in any defensive scheme at the next level and will add a solid playmaker opposite of Marshon Lattimore to aid their secondary. With incoming cap concerns for the Saints, they will be forced to lose a lot of starters on both sides of the ball so replenishing the lost talent will be a must.

29. Green Bay Packers: Asante Samuel Jr., CB, Florida State

After what may be a disappointing loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the NFC Championship, many parts of the team were ripped apart after the game including coaching decisions and players. One player that was burned at the stake was cornerback, Kevin King, because of his performance. King will also be a free agent this offseason along with starting nickel corner Chandon Sullivan. A replacement for either will be needed and Asante Samuel Jr. fits the mold. Depending on how the team views him, he can line up either on the outside or at slot for the Packers. He is outstanding in man coverage no matter where he aligns and plays with a chip on his shoulder which gives him the nod for the pick here.

30. Buffalo Bills: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

One negative from a predominantly marvelous season for the Buffalo Bills was their inability to run the ball. After investing two consecutive third round picks in Devin Singletary and Zack Moss, neither looked up to the task to be the guy in Buffalo to lead the team in rushing. Najee Harris would add a ton of upside to the already improved Bills offense because of his ability as a pure runner of the ball and as a receiver. His receiving ability will be of importance because Josh Allen’s tendencies to bail out on plays leading to dump passes to the running back.

31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Gregory Rousseau, EDGE, Miami

Tampa Bay is able to draft the best player available on either side of the ball to go for another Super Bowl appearance next season. With the Buccaneers potentially losing some players in the front seven to free agency, Todd Bowles will surely make a pitch to GM Jason Licht to replenish what may be lost. Gregory Rousseau could be a perfect pick for the Buccaneers because of his potential and flexibility. He plays at a crazy size for an edge rusher and showed at Miami his ability to line up as a standup rusher or down with his hand in the dirt anywhere along the defensive line on passing downs. Rousseau is a true boom or bust prospect but Todd Bowles could develop him into a star.

32. Kansas City Chiefs: Alijah Vera-Tucker, iOL, USC

After earning a second consecutive Super Bowl appearance, the Chiefs should look to solidify their offensive line. They have gotten by the past few years with just making it work with what they have but it would be a worthwhile investment in the first round to get a building block on the interior of the line in between cornerstones Mitchell Schwartz and Eric Fisher. Alijah Vera Tucker would slot in perfectly to the Kansas City Chiefs offense because of his supreme ability in pass sets with balance and a solid anchor. He also showed the flexibility this season to play tackle which makes him much more valuable in the grand scheme of things.

BY NICK LAMATTINA
    NFL DRAFT EVENTS
    ==================================

while this trade seems like a pipe dream for Miami, i DO feel that the best value the Fins could get for the number 3 pick is to trade it down

the team has alot of needs to finish the rebuild, and some extra draft capital would help address that

CAVKONG: Congrats, buddy, on joining the Grandpa Club. I joined “the club” 34 years ago and it’s been quite a ride! Almost exactly a year ago my 34 year old grand daughter, her husband and their 3 kids came to Tampa Bay to spend a week with us. LITTLE DID WE KNOW it would be our LAST such activity for over a YEAR!! We are hopeful that some time this year we will be able to visit family again, but, so far, it’s been impossible to get the covid vaccine in our county.
    ——————
    WE ARE still getting over the covid attack that hit our company at work. As of a week ago, about half the employees were down with the virus. Not all are back to work. And the wife of one of my co-workers is in real dire shape in ICU with pneumonia on top of her covid. The outlook for her is grim. And those who have recovered are trying to get over the after effects of this pandemic virus.
    My wife is still lethargic and a bit muddled. I’m going to try to get her to walk with me today on her walker for about 100 yards on the side walk in front of our house. Fortunately, I’m pretty well back to my old self. And I’m walking our two dogs a total of 1-2 miles per day. But I’m very worried about Mrs. OD’s lack of progress.
    —————-
    TIME TO WALK the dogs again. THEN it will be my wife’s turn for a short walk. LUV you guys!

Coaches got their hands on Mason this week. This is my only draft prediction this year. Mason will be a Dolphin.

169. running backs, Etienne and Harris are the most 2 talked about for Miami, My preference is on Harris, because Etienne has too many fumbles for My liking

the number one thing to see from RB and QB, is DONT turn the ball over, games are often decided on turnovers

That mock you put up has the frigging Bills getting Harris. I would hate that! That’s one of their big weaknesses as far as I’m concerned, they need a legit rusher.

170. Etienne could be like another Sammy Smith,
    run the ball down the field, but fumble in the red zone SMH

Etienne ran for almost 5000 yards 70 TD’s and over 7 yards per carry. and fumbled 8 times on 788 touches.
    I give the ball to the other team 8 times for 70 TD’s plus another 8 receiving and a first down every other touch.

Orob will hate him. Most of his runs don’t count

173. Rock, consider that Sammy had all kinds of yards, but he let the team down with turning the ball over. i remember him run for 50-70 yards on a drive, only to turn the ball over near the goal line.

Im not suggesting that Etienne is another Smith, i just illustrated Smith as an example of how turnovers can translate to lost games.

8 fumbles could translate into several losses on the season. Im not questioning his yard making abilities, but the fumbles would steer Me to draft Harris over Etienne IMO

174. Etienne fumbled 4 times in a 3 game span in 2020, imagine if a rb in Miami did that, lol We would be running him out of town!

yards are great, but no points if the other team ends up with the ball

Kenny Britt is having a good game!

Unless they actually do some big trade where they give up a ton of picks, the bottom line for me is that we should be able to get some nice players. I think we could go lots of different ways. Where the picks are doesn’t matter much if you can’t pick good players. Do that. Lol

I don’t either, but you never know these days. I hate giving up top 3 picks. Those guys have a good chance of becoming cornerstone type guys, and we could use a few more of those.

If we trade out of #3 it would be because we’re fine with where we’re trading down to and the offer was to good to pass up. If the offer is meh, stay where you are and take the guy you like the most.

179. Krishna says:

Sorry OD. Hope there are no lingering issues especially in your age category.

I did a grief group last summer and one of the widows experienced the loss of her husband twice….death and location. They couldn’t find where they shipped him due to the COVID processing in April.

You know half on this blog think it’s fake news and conspiracy. Shameful. It’s more than we know.

Krishna, those last comments you made is a lot speculation, accusation and condemnation of many folks here. Not sure if you realize but you do this a lot. Broad brushing folks as this or that. From what I’ve seen most folks here were very compassionate and supportive to you when you lost your wife. Why are you trying to stir shit up with generalizations?

THANK YOU, Tim. I had typed two different responses, but ultimately deleted them instead of responding to the hatred.

I thought we were all going to unite under Biden, as Biden preaches to his people… SMH

Where do ya think Matt Stafford lands? That could really shake up the landscape of who does what in the Draft.

OH $#!T! This just happened!!!

Rams trying to win now, the Lions can start their rebuild with a solid NFL QB with experience and a boat load of picks.

I really expected Stafford to the Colts

Terrible trade by the Rams. If it was Watson, then yeah! Stafford is good but not the equal of 3 total firsts worth of picks. Rams haven’t had a 1st rounder since they got Goff in 2016 and won’t have one until maybe 2024? Wow! Complete opposite of what we are trying to do.