Dolphins News – Loyalty shines in Miami, we sign our OWN!

438 DOLPHINS v. BILLS 102216kennysills

So far in 2017 FA, the Dolphins have followed their edict of keeping their own players.  They have reportedly signed 2 of the key UFA’s, DE Andre Branch, and WR Kenny Stills.  Exact contract details have yet to be released, although Branch was said to have signed a 3 YR contract worth $27M.  Stills contract is also unknown, but guessed to be a 4 YR/$32M deal at $8M per year.  Not crazy money at all for a player who was a big play guy for us.

It’s a good thing when you follow your plan, and get it done.  Give the Dolphins credit.  Both players seem genuinely happy to be in Miami, which is a great sign for the Miami Dolphins franchise.  This is now a franchise that is a destination of choice, not just the $$$.  I’m hoping the very next move, or at least one of the next moves is re-signing TE Dion Sims.  Sure, we traded for TE Julius Thomas, but he’s not a blocking TE.  We need Sims back.

We have scheduled to meet with former Steelers FA ILB Lawrence Timmons.  Not sure I get signing a 31 YO 3-4 ILB, but Timmons is a durable, very solid player.  Obviously, he’d be an upgrade, but I think it’s time to draft some LB’s.  I won’t hate the move, because he’s a very good player, but I can’t say I’ll agree with it.  I’m curious to see how long a contract they offer the 31 YO, maybe they have young LB’s in mind who may not be ready to rumble in ’17.  We’ll have to see what goes down here.

Oh, on a sad note, we don’t have our regular 3rd or 4th RD picks in this draft.

Google Carroo . . . .

GO DOLPHINS!

789 Responses to Dolphins News – Loyalty shines in Miami, we sign our OWN!

William Hayes?

2. dbolt48 says:

@all_right_Miami: Hell of a trade! https://t.co/zerYE5tuZm

4. dbolt48 says:

Loved Hayes rxn to the trade

“Just found out I got traded for a stapler & a coffee maker!”

Julius Thomas

“It’s been a long hiatus, but I’m glad to be back with my guy and looking forward to it,” Thomas said. “It’s very exciting. If there was one place that I really wanted to be was here. To have this opportunity is something that I’m very blessed to be able to do and I’m just looking forward to getting to work.”

“First off, the offense is proven,” Thomas said. “I’ve been able to play in it and know exactly what kind of weapon it can be and what it can do for a team. Some of the things that make it very unique is just the amount of different things you can do. You never really feel like you’re in a bad play. You always feel like either an adjustment is going to be made or the preparation was there so that you can be in the best possible play to have a chance to succeed on offense.

“And then for the tight end, it’s amazing to be able to play with a guy that’s going to allow you to use your whole range of skill sets. Some of the different things that I’ve been able to do in the past and just knowing that I’m going to have an opportunity to do that again is exciting — stretch the field, have some creative routes in there and just try and create separation and then make plays.”

“There’s so much talent,” Thomas said. “And then just to be able to come add to that is something that I’m looking forward to. It’s definitely exciting to be a part of a team that’s on the rise, a team that’s playing in the playoffs. That’s what we do it for. I’m really looking forward to joining this team and helping out all these guys that have already been having great success.”

6. dbolt48 says:

Seems like a VERY disciplined FA plan by the FO. Honestly if they land Timmons then they’ve positioned themselves to take Lamp in the first round followed by LB & DE in 2&3

I think they’re in position to really take the BPA. It could be an OL, DE, LB, S, CB, anything really.

Seems they are a start G and a start LB (don’t have to be world beaters) away from doing whatever they want in the first three rounds. You can always find safeties, even if not great ones.

William Hayes trade is surprising. By what I gather, a solid player and guy but he’s 31 (we know how old Wake is) and the draft is supposed be deep in edge rushers. He ain’t a cheap stop gap either. He’ll get $5.5 mil next year and is on the books for $5 mil in 2018 (even if that is pure cut). Especially for a 3rd DE, type of guy a team that is looking for results now signs

That’s why you can’t discount a DE in the 1st RD. I think it’s very much still in play. You have to have depth.

Even if not as deep a class, by need would now say that DT is as likely in the top rounds than DE.

• dbolt48 says:

Def. can’t discount it, but Lamp might be a higher rated prospect than many of these DEs & you can legitimately stick w/ BPA now rather than feeling forced to take a need at LB or DE.

Hayes’ contract for 2018 is 5M, but it’s not guaranteed, we’d save 5M off the 2018 cap, if we cut him.

Our cap on Sport race shows us at +38M, including Hayes and the tendered guys, but not including Thomas, Fasano, Larsen, Stills, Branch. I expect that group to cost at most 25M, so I think we have only 13M left, but that can’t be correct, unless more Misi type of cuts are still coming.

Hard to tell until you see the exact structures of the new contracts. For instance, Suh’s cap hit was pretty darn cheap in year one.

That’s kind of what I’m trying to get at, we have more space than it appears, because of the way we manage the cap.

We may have more, we hay have less. Yesterday the Brown’s explored their options on spending more. Agree with you that all these moves probably mean they are pushing off cap to an extent. Pretty sure we have a fairly big signing or two to go.

This could be the reason for the trade?

Pro Football Focus‏Verified account @PFF 10 Mar 2016

William Hayes tied for the league lead in run stop percentage among 4-3 DEs (11.5%), and ranked 6th in per-snap pass rushing productivity.

For us yes that’s part of it, someone mentioned above he’s a good run stuffer. Rams were making cap space, and are moving to a 3-4, so we actually stoled him. Much better than paying him what we gave Branch. This was a great economical trade.

I don’t see us going DE in the 1st, unless a Tunsil falls to us. Hard to say what the needs will be come draft day, I expect all holes to be filled b4 then, so no trade ups to fill a need like we did for Howard.

Remember, you’re not just drafting for this season, you’re drafting for the future too. We’re old at DE except for Branch, and even he’s going to be 28

That word has got to be my biggest pet peeve on this board. We all live and die Fins, it isn’t likely we forget things like this.😉 (adding the no offense symbol).

Well Steve, if you didn’t “misremember”, then you wouldn’t be saying we won’t be taking a DE. So there you have it. lol

Bill Barnwell gives us a D for resigning Rashad at that hall of fame safety price. Bill you should watch him play he’s pretty good. I don’t think Eric Berry has anything on him.

I think Berry is better
      but its pretty close
      A lot of these talking heads really don’t watch a lot of teams and a lot of guys
      and he just looks at the fact that Berry is a 1st round talent and Jones is a 5th round talent

Jones is one of the best safeties in the NFL – but he barely makes the pro bowl when he is healthy

• dbolt48 says:

From what I’ve heard he’s always 💩 on Miami. He gave the Stills deal the same grade yesterday I believe. Someone posted it on Twitter yesterday. When I first heard his name I thought it was like a random Roto-rooter guy posting his grades….Guess I was right.

I think Hayes is a great acquisition

to me though it doesn’t take DE out of play for us in early rounds
    there is a lot of depth at DE available in the draft
    and I think adding youth on defense is a priority

but that said, we have to see what we do with what’s left with free agency – bc right now LB, OG and S are still holes

It looks like we are heading in a true blue BPA in the draft
    we have some room to fill those holes before the draft

The same guy (Barnwell) gave the Eagles an a- for the 1 year Ashlon Jeffrey deal and the Browns and Texans both B grades for the Osweiler trade

He gave the Browns a B+ for the Bitnonio signing

Who cares what anyone says about we did? The only thing that counts is how everything comes together, and how we play next year and beyond, and what our records are.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 24m24 minutes ago
    The #Ravens are releasing Lardarius Webb, source said.

Jeez Mike E — talk about Mancrush. Amazed that he didn’t thrown in the time he saw Gase walk on water.
    ————————–

March 10, 2017 at 9:51 am
    Julius Thomas…..

“It’s been a long hiatus, but I’m glad to be back with my guy and looking forward to it. It’s very exciting. If there was one place that I really wanted to be was here. To have this opportunity is something that I’m very blessed to be able to do and I’m just looking forward to getting to work.”

“First off, the offense is proven. I’ve been able to play in it and know exactly what kind of weapon it can be and what it can do for a team…..And then for the tight end, it’s amazing to be able to play with a guy that’s going to allow you to use your whole range of skill sets. Some of the different things that I’ve been able to do in the past and just knowing that I’m going to have an opportunity to do that again is exciting.”

LOL – It’s great to hear that stuff, although you have keep it all in perspective, because almost everyone who comes to their new team says stuff like that.

For sure you have to put in context, but still can’t throw stones either. You can call me Renee Zellweger if you want, but Gase had me the time Gumby called him the smartest guy he ever met.

I’m sure Thomas is being genuine, as was Fasano, and I agree Gase is the man

22: R1P22 CB MARLON HUMPHREY, ALABAMA
    54: R2P22 G DAN FEENEY, INDIANA
    97: R3P33 S MARCUS MAYE, FLORIDA
    166: R5P22 LB BEN GEDEON, MICHIGAN
    178: R5P34 WR KD CANNON, BAYLOR
    184: R5P40 K ZANE GONZALEZ, ARIZONA STATE
    223: R7P5 EDGE JOE MATHIS, WASHINGTON
    240: R7P22 DL JOSH TUPOU, COLORADO

Adam Beasley‏Verified account @AdamHBeasley 19s19 seconds ago
    Ted Larsen, Nate Allen are in the building.

I preferred Sheard to Hayes. Hayes is a better run stopper but Sheard is good against the run too and is a much better pass rusher. He is also 4 years younger and would not cost a draft choice

All things considering, like the cap, Hayes is better, because Sheard would’ve cost us Branch type of money. Straight up I think you’re correct.

Joe Schad‏Verified account @schadjoe 5m5 minutes ago
    LB Lawrence Timmons, S Nate Allen and G Ted Larsen all enjoying 80 degrees and sunny in South Florida. All positions of need. #Dolphins

Ken

My guess is Sheard was going to be an expensive sign, so they went for less., which also leads me to believe we’ll be looking for a DE in the draft early.

I think that it is likely we go DE early in draft. I am still holding out hope on Peppers though. That’s my man crush

Peppers seems like all of our X-factor, still see no way to see the Hayes signing as anything other than maybe DE in the 3rd, or even double downed on in the 5ths. Barring injury or bad performance….three strong at DE for two seasons.

Omar says Timmons is a good complement to Kiko, because Timmons is a run stuffer, and Kiko is a coverage ace. Did he watch Kiko in coverage last year? He’s far from an ace, maybe an 8 of clubs. lol

23. dbolt48 says:

@9NEWS: Regional Transportation District wants to gently remind you not to show your anus on public transportation.        … https://t.co/yeRfZmq5al

Least if you believe the reports, Jordan Cameron is retiring at only 28. After four concussions, can’t blame him. Really liked him as a person and what he offered for us, but this sounds best for him down the road…..and not like he didn’t get paid lots of money already for a guy his age.

I never wanted to bring him here for exactly that reason. He’s smart if he does retire now, keep whatever is left inside his head intact

You were never a fan, and you were correct not to be. All he did was cost us a lot of cap space without much in return.

• dbolt48 says:

I was hopefully he’d recover but never happened. Struggled learning offenses both years. Got to wonder if the concussions incapacitated much of his ability to retain knowledge

steveccnv says:
    March 10, 2017 at 12:33 pm (Edit)
    ————-
    I don’t think the cap is a problem for us. I just hate giving up draft choices even 6th rounders

So the trade for Hayes was basically the Rams wanting to get rid of his contract so we gave them our 6th and we get their 7th. He gives us good depth at DE and is another guy who will allow us to develop young players behind the vets and then when they’re ready we move on from the old guard.

27. dbolt48 says:

Thing about Hayes is it seems Miami might be giving a peak at what their DE prototype might be. Shorter, stout, & explosive.

• dbolt48 says:

So someone like Carl Lawson who I’m not a huge fan of obviously will be in play. Willis, Harris, Bashsm etc. will fit this profile also. Might eliminate a player like Taco, who I’m not huge on, along with Kpassagnon who I’m a big fan of. Might also bring Tyus Bowser into play, but I’d think teams will probably prefer him as a fluid SOLB.

Tak

Tak is having shoulder surgery and could miss all of TC with whatever team drafts him. Do we want to go down the road again?

I didn’t know that, and no, we almost certainly don’t. I wasn’t big on Tak myself, just that he fits that prototype. If Reddick was there along with Tak, I’d take Reddick for sure.

28. drg says:

Love the Hayes deal. That shores up the run D and gets us closer to being able to go BPA in the draft. Our DL depth is looking better now. A cheap DT later in FA or draft pick will help. Definitely want us to pick up a DE in the draft, but hopefully it’s at a value point and not out of desperation now.

29. drg says:

Pig,

I read that Barnwell grade on Jones too. His argument was that our pass defense was the same with/without Jones. That, and we could have just let him play out his deal plus franchise him for the following two years for less than what we paid.

I get it, but think Jones is an exception. He’s clearly a leader on defense and typically stands out as a difference maker on the field. Word is he works his ass off year round. I have no problems rewarding guys like that.

The more I see of the Branch deal the less I like it, but it does provide a stable starter plus depth. It sounds like there are a lot of intangibles that Stills brings to the table, plus his numbers are looking better compared to some of the deals we are seeing.

Our FA approach the last two years has been much more to my personal liking. Now can TBaum avoid trading away draft picks? We’ll see.

If you look at what the high end of the DE market is, Branch’s deal is the going rate for a solid but not great DE. Starting DEs don’t get paid peanuts. It’s just the way it is. I think his deal is fair. Think about what OV got with the Giants, he’s not much better than Branch but costs 3 times as much.

I read his argument

The thing is he went out of the way to poop on the Jones signing

Jones tore his rotator cuff in week 6
      He played in 5 games last year and we SUCKED in those games for a lot of reasons that were not on Jones – he was probably the only one playing well

The year before that (2015) Jones was on the top 100 NFL players

But this guy focused on the first few games of 2016 and the pass defense not getting better instead of the player

Its a strained argument by Barnwell if you ask me
      Instead of looking at the player he looked at a small sampling of the pass defense in 2016 with and without Jones

Barnwell is an idiot, our pass D was the same without Jones. Did he watch the playoff game? These kind of people that just look at stats it seems always seem to put their foot in their mouth.

That’s painfully familiar with Jordan. I suppose if he drops to the 2nd RD, he’d be a good value there. We have enough starters at DE that we don’t need him to produce immediately.

30. drg says:

Yeah, you’re right about the market. That’s the problem with relying on free agents to fill needs. Hoping we hit on a few draft picks to address the DE position in the future.

DE/edge, OT, CB, QB……those are the high value picks in the first. Seems we at least don’t need any of them. Thinking we can either trade down in the first or pick some high-value guy who drops at another position.

I think that’s probably the plan. Add some young DEs over the next couple of years and when Wake and Hayes move on the young guys step in. Branch could play out his entire 3 years of his contract.

There’s a reason DEs make so much, they’re important, so counting on a rookie…Dion Jordan anyone

Even if they work for the same paper, never confuse Perkins with Omar.
    ——————

A common saying in NFL circles during free agency that “Our priority is keeping our own players.” The unspoken part of that phrase is: “If they’re the right kind of guys.”… Adam Gase is building an alpha male team that fits his personality.

It’s becoming clear Gase’s policy of employing physical, aggressive, smart (and let’s not forget that last term) football players is working for the Dolphins. This transition actually started when interim coach Dan Campbell took over early in 2015, transforming the Dolphins into a foaming-at-the-mouth group.

Gase took it another step by making them play a smarter, higher-quality brand football….they don’t make sloppy mistakes, something that raises Gase’s ire such as few other things.

Full

32. drg says:

Mike,

I’d absolutely grab McKinley if he drops that far. He was the most impressive pass rusher I saw in the PAC12 this year.

The world according to Bill Barnwell. Does anyone even care? LOL

drg

Would you still take Tak at #22? Just curious

There seems to be a big discrepancy with scouting, and not just on this board. It happens because people are looking for different things, so multiple people could be right when discussing different POVs, yet we all insist we’re correct.

This is a sounding board, so not surprising that happens here. I think we all do it, and from our perspective at that particular moment, it seems irrefutable. 🙂

I don’t know what you are talking about
      I am always correct
      😀

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 16s16 seconds ago

37. dbolt48 says:

@AdamSchefter: Dolphins signing Lawrence Timmons to a 2-year, $12 millions deal including $11 million guaranteed, per sources.

Now let’s sign an OG

39. dbolt48 says:

@ArmandoSalguero: Lawrence Timmons gets a two-year deal with the Dolphins. Ted Larsen also a done deal.

40. dbolt48 says:

@ArmandoSalguero: Ted Larsen a starting RG candidate. Good fit for zone blocking scheme which Miami employs.

Armando Salguero‏Verified account @ArmandoSalguero 2m2 minutes ago

get the papers
    get the papers

Lou should be happy we signed Larsen. Where is that fucker?

dbolt48 says:
    March 10, 2017 at 2:57 pm

March 10, 2017 at 2:59 pm

There you go Piggy, Larsen in the house.
    Reviweing our
    ——————————————–
    I had read on a site last night that Larsen was a done deal. I think it might have actually come out last night but the official word might not have been released by the team until today, but someone knew last night.

Timmons signing is more of what we have been seeing, 2 years, decent investment for the player who could earn an extension pretty soon, or a chance to make an even bigger pay day for himself before he starts to hit the dreaded 30+ designation, but again, it has get some young guys behind them written all over it.

It would be easy to say OG, LB, DE, TE, etc are not primary concerns any longer but i dont think thats where this is going. I think we most certainly still think of LB, DE, OG and TE as “get some potential year 1-2 starters” in the draft. They just feel that doing it this way gives them security of not having to push them forward with their maturation and development, they will start them if they out play the vets, but they can feel ok about letting them cook a year if need be.

I completely expect our draft strategy to be very similar to what it was going to be anyways, just more flexible.

The site i saw it on was PFF’s free agency tracker. They had Larsen with his new team listed as Dolphins around 6-7pm last night CST

I was thinking about the Pats trade for TE Dwayne Allen, and it makes me wonder why they didn’t just draft a TE. This is supposed to be such a deep TE draft, and yet they traded for one. Seems odd

Stanger, it’s been reported for weeks that the Dolphins felt they could find guards without breaking the bank. Larsen fits that mold. We might target another and then draft one as well. Then let them all compete and we’ll see who the final 5 are.

49. drg says:

Barnwell is an analytics guy. He’s going to judge everything mainly by performance over average stats and expected rates of return. There is absolutely a ton of value in the Moneyball approach, but it’s not the end all. Like I’ve said before, Miami is somewhat of a unique situation. We have lacked team leaders, strong personalities that play with an edge, and a competent HC/players coach. Seems like we have those things or are building around them now and that means paying some guys more than their market value might dictate.

I’m just happy we have a reason for optimism. Fun to be a fan again.

Still quite a few decent Cb’s out there if we wanted to add some competition. I wouldnt spend big but there are a few out there with a lot of talent that probably wouldnt be very expensive at this point.

Stanger

3 YR/$9M definitely does NOT make Larsen a starter. That’s peanuts these days. He will probably in the running, but at that salary, it wouldn’t be tragic if he was just a depth guy

He is still out there as a starting G wiht that money though, least in the compete way. We are one $5 mil or above G away from BPA…..and FA only started 24 hours ago.

52. drg says:

Mike,

I’d avoid him in the first, mainly because we are going to need our first rounder to step right in and play. Definitely in the second though.

March 10, 2017 at 3:13 pm

————————————
    What it really makes me think Mikey, is that Gronk is pretty bad off. Allen makes sense if you are having to potentially enter the season minus Gronk, and they were pretty sure Bennett was going to price himself outside what they wanted to pay for him. So they basically had 0 true vet starting caliber players. Belichick doesnt like leaving shit up to chance so i doubt he wanted to, even if its a stud, go into the season without a known commodity.

You know what, that never entered my mind, but that’s pretty logical. All I kept hearing was how they needed someone to replace Bennett to have someone to pair with Gronk, but that’s an astute observation. I hope that’s true, not for Gronk’s sake, but for ours.

Agreed.

54. drg says:

Love the Timmons deal. TBaum is slowly winning me over. Don’t trade our draft picks though!

Enjoy the weekend guys. Golf season is here!

I think Larsen is pretty much the same as Bushrod last year, with just a stronger feeling about the position they want to play him at an what quality he brings there. Bushrod was beng brought in to play a position he had never played, at an age that might mean he wasnt going to be able to pick it up. His contract was 1 year due to the risk involved with it not working out. Larsen is less risky so there is more security there. Also it doesnt really matter if its 10 years, if the guaranteed money is low it might as well be a 1 year.

I think its jumping the gun to call him the starter as well Mike. He is an OG who will comepte for a starting spot, hell Steen could be our OG, or another guy they havent signed yet, or a rookie they draft. We wont know that until the end of TC. That money though, doesnt say guaranteed starter to me.

Armando Salguero‏Verified account @ArmandoSalguero 8m8 minutes ago
    Armando Salguero Retweeted David
    Either he gets cut or his salary does.Armando Salguero added,

David @dab2525
    @ArmandoSalguero If they sign another LB, does Misi get cut?

Just landed!! Humble an grounded!! 🙏🏿 #blessedbeyondmeasures😇

A post shared by Lawrence Timmons (@kissmyconverse82) on

Sorry — “kissmyconverse82″…..is Timmons. Guess they figured out that the jets work better the other way around.

Interesting!
    Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 1h1 hour ago
    NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has emerged as a candidate to become Washington’s general manager, sources tell @FieldYates and me.

60. dbolt48 says:

@nick_underhill: Former Saints receiver Kenny Stills’ four-year deal is worth $24.9 million. $19.95 guaranteed. $7 million signing bonus.

Wonder how that LB situation will be with two guys, one who has stated a preference to play MLB in ALonzo and the other who was an ILB in a 3-4 scheme last year, and who isnt particularly fast when it comes to coverage and sideline to sideline pursuit (making him more suited for MLB as well). I guess it might come down to just good ole competition, but i personally feel id rather have Alonzo on the outside.

Timmons and Larsen are both from Florida.

March 10, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Interesting!
    Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 1h1 hour ago
    ————————————–
    I honestly think he would be a pretty good one. Im not a big fan of him as a coverage personality but that should be a job thats right up his alley.

I think what we’re doing is bringing in players who know what they’re doing so we can be competitive now and let young players earn their way in, not have to play them if they’re not ready. The short-term deals suggest that anyway.

Yeah thats what i have been saying. I dont think at all it changes our plans for the draft. I could easily still see us taking OJ Howard just as well as i could have previously. I could still see us taking Reuben Foster or Taco Charlton or any number of players i previously felt we might would, its just right now they wouldnt feel they had to weigh the selection heavier one way or the other, they are in a position to truly get the BPA off their board with a ton less influence on who will we get to fill this spot or that spot.

Yep!

Thats a dynasty mentality. We did have to spend and make some trades in the past that seemed heavy handed because we were so devoid of talent we werent anywhere near where we could start building through the draft and re-signing our own (because our own wasnt good enough to pay a lot to keep). We are now in a better place, so i would expect a lot more maintence on our team from this point forward in FA. If we lose one someone stpes up and we get a depth person to fill their void, if we lose one and we dont have adequate behind, we might get a vet on a 2 year to fill in while we fix that in the draft, so on and so forth.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 8m8 minutes ago
    Carolina trading DE Kony Ealy and a third-round pick to Patriots in exchange for New England’s second-round pick, league sources tell ESPN.

So thats basically giving up a 5th or 6th rounder in draft value in the grand scheme of things and getting a great player in the process.

Yeah they always seem to get the better of every deal. Why would Carolina do that?

I swear Pats must have pictures of every GM doing something completely scandalous because they keep being able to milk teams out of these great players and for peanuts in return most of the time.

WTF is that bull? How does this even happen? Why in hell are the Panthers giving them a pick as well? Who negotiated that crap? FIRE THAT BASTARD!

I like it!

Adam Beasley‏Verified account @AdamHBeasley 26m26 minutes ago
    Timmons: “I’m a football player. I just see ball, get ball. I’m not going to glamorize it. I’m just going to play ball.”

Armando Salguero‏Verified account @ArmandoSalguero 3m3 minutes ago
    The Dolphins are closing in on a deal with safety Nate Allen, league source says. Could be done by this eve barring snags.

I meant other than Larson Tim

I wouldn’t be surprised if we signed another and drafted one then let all of them compete and we’ll see who the starting 5 are.

Tim, D

I do feel like we can pretty much go anywhere in RD1 now. That’s a great feeling.

I’m so mad about the Kony Ealy trade

Looks like the Allen signing it getting close to complete. We must not have been offering as much as TB was for Wilcox.

Yeah RD1 could almost be any position other than probably WR or QB, i really wouldn’t even put OT out of the possibilities.

I’m not either, but there’s no other reason we would be drafting an OT

Timmons signing is reminiscent of Joey Porter…. And Fasano is back

Is Tuna in Davie?
    T-Baum is a Parcells desciple

We just signed S Nate Allen according to Armando, no details.

Son, what do you think of the moves we’ve made?

I like them all. I think the team is being molded now instead of just thrown together. These guys would never have drafted Jordan or Martin among many others. They know what they want and get it.

I agree. We’re not going bonkers in FA, we’re taking care of our own and filling some voids. Every player that enters the building says they love the energy of this team. Love it! 🙂

Many fans don’t want us to build thru FA but we’re not doing that. Look at many of our core players who were drafted – Pouncey, James, Tunsil, Landry, Parker, Tannehill, Ajayi, Drake, Williams (UDFA), Phillips, Misi, Hewitt (UDFA), Lippett, McCain, Howard, Jones etc.

Now we need to add some more to the core from the draft, and DE and LB are positions that need a jolt of youth.

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account
    @MikeGarafolo
    Three-year deal for $25.5m, $12.75m guaranteed for Jabaal Sheard, @RapSheet Just said on air

The team is the Colts.

If Gase is building a “smart” team, he sure as hell could have fooled me. We were one of the most undisciplined teams in the NFL last year and one of the most penalized teams. Where does this BS come from? Lol

WOW, now we signed Timmons & Nate Allen who can be a ball hawk with good play up front.

March 10, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Move Ja’Wuan to OG?
    —————————————
    No more along the lines of just in case Ja’Wuan isnt re-signed, next man up replacement.

Larson covers the annual Pouncey injury woes.

Guys you draft positions the average fan doesnt see as a need. Who replaces Ja’Wuan if we dont get him re-signed, or god forbid he has a career threatening injury, etc. You dont draft a guy thinking how am i going to use him today, sometimes its, a well if i get a guy now and get him use to my system, makes the “what if” with this other guy not as big a deal. I re-sign him, or he makes it through the contract into the next one, great, if not, im also prepared for that. If they find an OT and he is a BPA, for them, they should definitely think about it

All true. That said we have a 5th year option on James so we don’t have to worry about him until 2019 if we choose to go that way.

Smart is a goal at least we aren’t dumb any more so that’s good

Ted Larsen is…or should be…a backup. The nice part is he can play both guard positions and maybe center. He gives you a versatile, steady but not real good veteran backup. I’d just prefer he not start.

Even if he plays well and earns the spot? 😉

He can play center, it’s not a maybe, he’s done it. He’s not elite or anything, but he’s one of those guys you can plug in and he won’t hurt you.

Timmons is a bad ass…I like that signing…if only to bring some toughness to this defense.

I dont really see Larsen signing much different than i saw Bushrod last year. In fact its almost identical with the one exception of us signing a guy who plays/has played the position before. I still think Bushrod is a good OL, he did pretty well adapting to not only a shift to OG, but also shifting from the left side to the right side (and dont underestimate that change). By the end of the season he had made it to pretty serviceable standards. Larsen is probably no more talented than Bushrod, and maybe not as talented, but he is use to the position they are signing him to play and that probably evens it out and means he likely starts like Bushrod finished.

Timmons signing is a pretty good one i think. Like Randy said he is a solid run defense guy, might have a little bit of liability in certain areas just because he is use to a 3-4 and he is not a really fast guy, but if Burkes wanted him, then he knows what he wants him for and there are definately things he brings to the table that we were short in last year.

I think Timmons brings professionalism, leadership and the ability to play LB with instincts. Oh yeah he can tackle. LOL

Nate Allen, was a good replacement for Isa who was also a more temporary solution opposite Jones, granted i think how temporary was not to be expected, but oh well. I dont see Allen as a hawk, but he is a solid coverage guy, with strong run support skills. I really would have liked to have landed Wilcox, but Allen brings us back to the level we were at with Isa and with Jones back Safety isnt a major concern.

A blind squirrel could earn a starting guard spot on this team right now! Lol

D, going back to what we both were saying earlier. This coaching staff wants to build on players they trust to do the job. We’re not just signing guys who are the hot FAs, but players we feel can show up and do their jobs. Gase had to learn what he had and didn’t have last year. We’re seeing phase 2.

This is what I’ve been hoping for and it’s happening. Good article summing it up.

Hey man, I’m here for the starting guard job . . .

I personally would re-sign Bushrod as well to another lower money, short year contract but to be a backup at OT

Tim, i completely agree, this “trio” or the trinity or whatever we are calling them these days are definitely in a zone. They have some in, observed the mess, come up with a plan to resolve it and are executing their plan stage by stage. I hope we continue with success coming from it because it is a lot better FA season this year and thats without any flashy signings. Its really amazing to me that we seem to collectively feel better about this so far, and not one big blockbuster name has landed in our lap.

We approached FA the same way last year with the exception of some of our own going elsewhere. But most of our FA signings were of the same short-term type deals as this year. We’re using FA to fill voids with solid pros, not building thru FA with blockbuster deals.

The draft will be key. That and the last few drafts stepping up their games and it’s a totally different team.

D,
    We need to build good depth on the OL overall. That’s why even though I think Larsen is a very average player he does represent a growth in our overall depth. I just really hope he ends up being depth not a long term starter. But hey….he’s at least as good and probably a little better than what we have now. Bring in a couple more nice draft picks, and try to build a strong overall unit. Kinda like you’re saying with James. It never hurts to have a lot of good OL on your roster to keep it rolling when guys go away or get hurt.
    ***
    Bushrod can back up every position but center, so I think he has really good value…as a backup.

If on opening day we have 7 on the OL on the active list and Larsen and Bushrod as the guys to step in……happy camper will I be.

Big year for Tannehill coming up.
    Take us Ryan take us to the promised land.
    You got this

I never liked Thomas or Turner to begin with! It’s like everyone has turned a deaf ear to my negative, curmudgeon comments over the years. Imagine that! Lol

I’m not saying you were. What I see happening is a new coach trying to retool his team around what was already good and what wasn’t. Then add his own guys like every coach does when they take on a new job. It all comes down to results. This is always a fun and exciting time of year. But many teams and their fans have their hearts broken after all the hype. 😉

So did anything happen today?

I guess I will refresh the page and scroll back the top to find out

Rock,
    We signed Fasano! Lol

March 10, 2017 at 3:20 pm

Yessir! The franchise is turning things around

well we’ve been saying that for years

Let’s hope this year they stopped turning at 180 degrees instead of continuing on the full 360 degrees like they have in the past! 😉

I was just joking around. You’re absolutely right in that it’s all about results. Gase has to keep this team going to the playoffs at the end of the year. Build a team that is a consistent playoff contending team and not just a one-and-done. I like most of what Gase has shown so far, but I’m not sold yet. He needs to get bettter from here. Last year should be just step one. I want to see it for a few years.
    ***
    Hell, I thought Saban was gonna take us to multiple Super Bowls and thought he was a fantastic hire! Asshole screwed us! Missed that one completely.

dbolt48 says:
    March 10, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Yep…18 spot flip for him.

A toaster and a coffee maker

104. dbolt48 says:

March 10, 2017 at 6:01 pm
    Well Thomas and Turner must be dead rats then. LOL

So many physical gifts Turner had….and he wasted it. I really missed on him!

Son,
    I agree. All this works if tannehill can lead us to the playoffs again. It really is still about the QB

106. dbolt48 says:

Patriots got Cooks and I don’t give a💩

Now you know why we want more corners.

Again, they basically got him for a second round pick, when the saints all along were wanting a solid first. They get a former 1st rounder, who now has 3 years of experience, and has led the team in receiving each year. They give up a late first (practically a second) and what amounts to a 15 spot trade back in the 4th. lol. Fuck that team.

Yeah Thomas actually was the better talent, Turner had the nastier disposition, but both of them were just not passionate about being pro’s. Really sad on both their parts, both were loaded with physical gifts.

BoulderPhinfan says:
    March 10, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Son,

Again? But Tannehill hasn’t led us to the playoffs yet. Matt Moore did. I’ve read that HERE on this blog……

My asshole brother (non-fan) says to me yesterday, while we were shooting the shit and the Dolphins came up, “yeah, yeah, yeah, Didn’t Tony Saprano win more games his first year? Didn’t I hear all you Dolphins fans talking about how great you were going to be now that Fat Tuna was in charge?”

First, let me go on record (and it is well documented in the archives) that I NEVER liked the Parcells hire in any way and was vehemently against it) but the little fucker (my brother) got me thinking about fools gold and questioning if Gase really is the man and if he can sustain success.

Damn him! He deserved every Indian burn, noogy, wedgy, swirly, wet willy and charlie horse I ever gave him!

It’s going to be in the back of our minds until we consistently win. I am just going day by day for now and the Fa so far has been good days.

We don’t know what will happen next year

But we know that every sip of beer will be exceptional taking it in

I’m be always been a Brandon Cooks fan
    Tonight I’m drinking to his Achilles bursting

Piggy,

I was thinking the same thing after I saw all the Patriots moves- they will need some major injuries to be stopped this year.

D says:
    March 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
    March 10, 2017 at 3:13 pm

————————————
    I think that it is definitely that, but they also know Brady doesn’t have many years left. The trades for solid , of not spectacular veterans and their FA signings show me that the want experience on their team, and they don’t want to wait for young guns to develop. If they drafted a TE he would likely need time to develop, and they don’t want to have to spend a year or so waiting for that to happen. They are making moves to win now.

115. dbolt48 says:

Rock,
    In regards to Gase vs Sparano…Gase won w/his offensive schemes and true strategies. It wasn’t by manufacturing offense through a gimmick (WC). We literally had one of the worst offensive lines in the league this year and we were able to line up in traditional formations and run the ball which we struggled to do under Sparano, outside his final season.

• Brian in NY says:

Bingo. People tend to forget that the whole reason why we ran the Wildcat was because our OL was so terrible in the first two games that season.

• dbolt48 says:

Yep, we also had an easy schedule. Also the quarter to quarter adjustments you see from Gase vs Sparano is night and day.

• dbolt48 says:

That first loss to the Patriots this year is a perfect example, by the end of that game you saw Bill & Matt Patricia’s heads spinning because they had no answer for Gases adjustments. Even in that 2nd game when Miami was mounting a comeback prior to Williams fumble.

• Brian in NY says:

Yep

Something is going to eventually have to wrong for the Patriots. Right? Please?

We have to worry about getting better, not just to beat the Patriots, but everyone else. Just keep improving, keep bringing in talent. That’s all we can do at this point. Fate will eventually fuck the Patriots.

I can guarantee you we’re drafting a safety in this draft. Not sure where, but it’s happening

LMFAO @ “google Caroo”1

I had an emotionally brutal week at work. Couldn’t really enjoy free agency that much to tell you the truth.

Mike,
    You mean time Will eventually f the pats. I mean Brady won’t be playing at 50 and belicheat will retire at some point. Then maybe we can win the division again. Until then wild card is the best we can hope for.

Mike,
    Obi Melifonwu looks really good. He was a solid pick before the combine (probably 2nd round), and he’s sure to rocket into the 1st now . He should be there when we pick, although I think there will be an early run on safeties.

Rock,
    I think we would have made the playoffs with tannehill last year if hadn’t been injured. The playoffs appearance was tannys. Now let’s do it again this year.

I hope we get a starting caliber guard in the draft. Oh and another linebacker

124. naplesfan2010 says:

I had targeted Obi Wan the safety early on and am a little sorry he jumped out of the gym cuz i thought we could get him at 97 then but now we’d be lucky if he is still there at 54. I still want him but since we signed Nate Allen i’m not sure we need a first round safety.

125. naplesfan2010 says:

Hey for depth and a “heavy package” how about we bring back Paul Soliai and Tony McDaniel? I loved those guys when we had them and they are not THAT old now. Big Paulie is 6’5 345 @ 33 y/o and would be immovable at 3rd and short or 4th and goal. Big Mac is 6’7 305 and adept at slapping passes away at the line. He’s only 32. Neither looks done physically.

126. naplesfan2010 says:

btw I am loving our new TE group. Fasano is a great blocker with very clean hands and Thomas is very athletic and just needs a friendly scheme to shine in to overcome never playing college football.

127. naplesfan2010 says:

At OG I think there are 4 I like but the first might be gone. My fave is in the second round to take Dorian Johnson 6’5 300 out of Pitt, with no fat he could put on 10-15 pounds easy. Pulls well with a powerful punch. He’s a plug and play 10 yr starter. Very Good football IQ.

In the 3rd there is Asiata that I like almost as well.

He’s got some huge mitts, and long arms too. Only 21 in the BP will be failed by Son of a Son though . . .

• naplesfan2010 says:

long arms make the bench a tough lift…but I’d love a guard who can reach and hold. That is the Patriot’s Way.

“Help us Obi Meli Fonwu!” “You’re our only hope!”

Sorry for repeating that, I just LOVE IT!

Bri

hard to say with Obi – He definitely might last to the 2nd, but if there’s a run on safeties, you might be right, he may go late 1st or early 2nd. I would love to draft him though

• Brian in NY says:

The kid has skills AND id a physical freak. He’s freaking 6’4″!

I know man, and I’ve wanted a big safety here for a while. I wanted George Iloka a few years ago, and he turned out pretty good. I wanted Barry Church, but he went to JAX. I would have taken a look at Jon Cyprien and TJ McDonald too, but we already signed Nate Allen

Naples
    Look at Alan Branch in NE playing his best football last year at 32 YO. Those old vets can get it done for you if used properly.

• naplesfan2010 says:

If we need a run stopper on short-yardage, Soliai could do that to take some of the hits off Phillips and keep him fresh to rush the passer. And McDaniel could spell Suh with not so much drop off in quality experience. He started a bunch of games for Seatlle in their best playoff years.

Boulder

I don’t know if it’s time, or just the odds leveling out, but the Patriots are going to have to take a fall. It can’t always work out for them, although it certainly has for quite some time.

I apologize, but I have to vent to you guys. I had a really rough week at work. One of my students came to me that was suicidal, one of my colleagues revealed to me that she has melanoma, a gay student of mine was crying to me about how he has been discriminated against, and one of my students was arrested for murder. Real tough week for me as all of this happened in the last two days.

Oh man, that is rough. What did you do for the suicidal student? Did you make sure they got in touch with someone?

• Brian in NY says:

Yeah, we talked for a while, and I asked if she’s considered therapy. She said yes, but her mom won’t take her. Sadly, that is indicative of the majority of my students’ parents- uninvolved and inattentive. I asked her if she wanted to see our school psychologist and maybe set something up once a week and she said yes. She was just crying out for help. A lot of my students knew the kid who was arrested for murder, so they were pretty upset about that as well.

I’m also a little surprised about the gay student. Kids seem to be so accepting these days. Sucks though.

• Brian in NY says:

Not up where I work. Small town mentality with most of the towns around there. I think I’ve mentioned this before, but my school has students from 15 different school districts that come to us.

Brian — obviously there is a real problem when talk of suicide comes up, but if it helps any males are far more to actually follow threw on it than males. Know that is sexist but the stats show that even when an “attempt” is made males complete the act like 50% of the time while women five or ten. And males are more likely not to talk about it before they try.

^ sorry…..males more like than “females”

Man Brian — if there was ever a a couple days to throw you for a loop. That those two students chose to come to you is a real testament to you as a teacher and as a person.

• Brian in NY says:

Thank you. To boot, I have some personal shit I’m dealing with as well, so it’s been a rough few days.

Bri

Who was the student accused of killing? Sheesh. That’s some deep stuff to deal with

• Brian in NY says:

It was over drugs. Someone most of the kids knew from their town. It goes pretty deep. Hardest kids I have were pulling me aside to talk about it and tearing up. I’m just glad I could be there for them.

Damn, that’s tough. God bless you man, good thing the kids have you to lean on, that’s a special thing right there.

134. naplesfan2010 says:

Brian … hey man it’s great that you are there for them and that they look up to you so much that they will tell you stuff. And you seem to be saying/doing all the right things.

I have been absent here for some rough times myself. My son came down to go to his best friend’s (like a half-son to me) wedding and the kid’s father died 2 days before the wedding. I’ve known the guy for 25 yrs and he just went down the last year so fast and then he was just gone.

Ok, so, after I just brought the blog down, I’m going to run and get some things done. Gotta keep my mind busy. Go Dolphins!

Wow Naples, that’s awful. Ah, very sad

naplesfan2010 says:

March 11, 2017 at 10:31 am (Edit)

yeah at my age, mortality is not philosophical
    ******************
    Not sure how old you are, but I feel the same way bud, unfortunately . . .

We are probably listed last for a reason…..but wouldn’t bringing Poe on board give us close to the best DL in the NFL?
    —————————–
    Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora
    Dontari Poe in high demand. Visits Colts Sun, JAX, ATL, OAK and MIA wants visits as well. If Indy doesn’t come correct he’ll be traveling

That would be a pretty wild sign for us. Only thing that comes to mind is, how much can you pay for 1 position? I would think we would easily have the highest at DT, probably by a huge margin. It would be nice to know Jordan Phillips could be that guy

We sign Poe and bet you we would see a lot of 5-2 sets or maybe more Suh at DE. Only way think you could justify the money and a 2nd at DT.

• naplesfan2010 says:

Poe seems a little slow for my tastes, but the man can stuff the run for sure. I’d be satisfied with him as rotation all day long.

139. naplesfan2010 says:

At DT my fave FA is Bennie Logan from Philly. 2nd is Hankins out of NY Giants.

Stanger

In theory, Poe would unleash Suh, and that could be fun to watch.

We’d also have the DT tandem with the least amount of letters, Poe and Suh. lol

lol….that’s got be worth an extra mil a year to make it happen. And heck yeah that would be fun to watch. If Poe comes though….my guess he is the run down guy and Phillips goes on the diet Randy wanted.

Instead of concentrating on Gase and what the team is building, Nate Allen gave some props to the factor the Phins have had going for a long time.

“I’d rather be in a more comfortable place where I’m happy and my family’s happy than the dollar signs. At this point in my career, I want to enjoy where I’m playing.”

Ted Larsen too.

“Coming back to Florida, I’ve got two kids and my wife and we’re going to able to enjoy living near the water. We’re going to take advantage of that. For me that’s awesome. Everglades. Biscayne Bay. Being able to enjoy that with my children is really important. Hunting, fishing, paddleboarding, I do really enjoy. And that’s one of the things I’ve missed, the fishing.”

Brian, that’s a lot of tough stuff you had to deal with. You’re a good man being there for all of them.

Naples, sorry to hear about your loss. I hear ya about mortality.

BoulderPhinfan says:
    March 11, 2017 at 9:32 am
    Mike,
    €£¥₩
    What kind of defeatist attitude is that!?! You think like that in a fight and you lose before you start. If they can’t beat the Pats in their prime, Miami isn’t worth a shit.

BoulderPhinfan says:
    March 11, 2017 at 9:35 am
    Rock,

Boulder, I agree. I was just being shitty to the “haters”

Stanger

Are you implying that us dummies who haven’t yet moved to FLA ought to?

LOL — maybe that is one for all the people in my building who before lived in NJ and NY to answer. 🙂

More seriously, there are reasons why people retire here. Understand job, family and such ties. But see how you view it when you are ready to retire and can choose wherever…..taxes and property values by themselves might be more important than weather.

This is my first “Post FA / holes filled Mock Draft. I went purely BPA. Whomever was at the top of the “board” I drafted. I cannot believe Howard fell from the #4 ranked player to #22!!! I could not pass. If the draft worked out for us this way I would be pissing myself and would not even care enough to change my drawers.

1: R1P22 TE O.J. HOWARD ALABAMA
    2: R2P22 LB JARRAD DAVIS FLORIDA
    3: R3P33 C ETHAN POCIC LSU
    4: R5P22 EDGE EJUAN PRICE Pittsburgh
    5: R5P34 DL DEANGELO BROWN LOUISVILLE
    6: R5P40 S JOSH JONES NC STATE
    7: R7P5 LB BEN GEDEON MICHIGAN
    8: R7P22 CB DWAYNE THOMAS LSU

148. dbolt48 says:

Watching a little bit of Larson and I see why the FO might like him as a RG starter. Comes from Chicago who ran a variation of Gases offense. He gets on LBs quickly as hell and seems pretty strong.

Pats made some uncharacteristic big splashy moves. Not sure what to make of that

Think they are are trying to make the most out of the Brady years. At the same time, really hoping the Browns don’t see Garoppolo as their QB to build their future on. Hoping they go Cousins instead.

150. dbolt48 says:

IOWA
    223: R7P5
    WR TRENT TAYLOR
    LOUISIANA TECH
    240: R7P22
    LB HARDY NICKERSON

Man, I like mine much better. I picked up Gedeon in the 7th round!

• dbolt48 says:

I think we must have used different boards 😆. In regards to yours I worry about Davis staying healthy. I’m not a huge fan of Pocic, though he does have his fans. I worry about how Price will transfer over in the pro’s.

Really in mine, I just value Lamp so much in this draft….he’s my top OL. Then after that I prioritized 2 edge rushers to develop. It was a toss up between Rivers and LB Elija Lee for me.

If I was CLE, or any other GM, and I needed a QB, and I wanted Garoppolo, I wouldn’t give up any more than a 3rd RD pick for him. He hasn’t even thrown 100 passes in the NFL, and he played in the NE offense, where every QB looks better than they really are. WAKE UP NFL GM’s!

dbolt48 says:
    March 11, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Honestly I don’t know much of anything about any of them except for what I read on here and other sites starting around free agency. LOL

I just used fan speaks Big Board and drafted the guy at the top of the board every round. they all had much better grades than the position I drafted them in so I figured it was a good draft. LOL. Besides I recognized a lot of the names so that means you guys have been talking about them. I am not a college football fan or even a football fan that matter. I am a Miami Dolphins fan.

Looking like Branch is actually getting $8 mil per year. And least Sportstrac says the cap hit in 2017 is $5 mil.
    ————–
    Multiple reports pegged the Andre Branch deal in Miami as being worth $27 million over three years. Per a source with knowledge of the deal, the base value is $24 million. The difference may not seem like much, but it’s a full million when looking at the average per year, making an $8 million deal look like a $9 million contract.

He gets $6 million to sign, a $2.9 million fully-guaranteed base salary in 2017, a $7.9 million fully-guaranteed base salary in 2018, and a non-guaranteed $6.9 million base salary in 2019. Throw in $100,000 in annual workout bonuses, and the total is $24 million.

……Fate will eventually fuck the Patriots.
    ———
    The Pets have been doing this shit for nearly 20 years, fate ain’t doing squat. These guys either made a deal with the devil, or they have blackmail pictures of God naked and doing the nasty with Courtney Love.

Hopefully Belicheat will retire sometime in the next decade.

Somebody needs to get Bill Belicheat a date or a hooker, if he discovers sex maybe he’ll give up this whole football thing.

R7P22 was traded Rock but I like your selections

157. dbolt48 says:

This is horrible!

@MoveTheSticks: Getting a bunch of texts from scouts at UW & it sounds like Sidney Jones suffered a significant lower leg injury. Feel terrible for him.

DBolt I’d be worried more about Davis than Anzalone, but Davis should fully recover, I just don’t know if he is 100% ready by OTAs. I think he will before TC but probably at best

• dbolt48 says:

Honestly I like Anzalone as a player more than Davis. Both guys injury history scares me. Davis also scared me in the fact when he plays in a game where his DL goes against an OL of equal or greater talent he gets neutralized pretty easy.

• dbolt48 says:

I like Davis the athlete and his twitch of nastiness…but I question his natural instincts and his ability to get off blocks….many which he runs into by his own doing.

I am so glad we re-signed Branch. This article show what kind of person he is:

I’m not as high on Lamp as you as DBolt. I think he is a top OL prospect but I have several players I’d take over him at 22. However if he was BPA I’d feel fine selecting him there unless I could get a trade back, because i think you could still get him later

• dbolt48 says:

That’s fine….in all honesty my theory is DE & LB is good quality through 3rounds, while I’m not as high on the OG depth. I think Lamp also has separated himself from on all the other OG’s. Now if we signed another starter at OG in FA I could possibly go a different direction.

Not at all scared of Anzalone’s injury history. It’s completely blown out of proportion. Davis’ is a little more concerning to me but again only if we need him to start day 1. If not then his would be OK as well.

Did you know that the year Anzalone graduated HS he was the number 2 LB recruit in the nation? Just behind Jaylon Smith, and just ahead of Jonathan Allen who I guess was a LB in HS.

• dbolt48 says:

He was a pretty good running back also. Similar to when L. Arrington came out of high school

• dbolt48 says:

Anzalone as a pure player is someone I love as a LB. Can play all 3 spots, but it’s his play recognition and little thing like locking out OL with his arms so he can make the play.

I think his play recognition is pretty good. Might need polish but it’s about as good as most the top guys this year. They all have touches of inconsistency. Even Cunningham who I think is possibly the top play recognition guy this year

Yep.

I think OG is pretty deep as well. It’s a good draft for us. Need positions are deep talent positions

• dbolt48 says:

Right now OG I don’t know how good I feel about that. I have a feeling that we’re going to see a big run on interior lineman early due to some of the recent FA contracts which is why I don’t feel comfortable waiting until RD3. Like I said though, if we get one more FA OG who can be a quality starter then I’d be more comfortable.

What I do like about Lamp is that he is one of the nastiest guys in the draft. He has a lot of Richie in him

We have come a long way!
    No more tray abuse!

I just don’t think we need to spend a first-round pick on a guard we don’t need it all first round pick offensive line

It’s still a big need, and if the right player is there, just like any other position of need, we’ll take the best one. If that’s Forrest Lamp, so be it.